Summary: A quaternary ammonium anticholinergic agent with peripheral side effects similar to those of ATROPINE. It is used as an adjunct in the treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcer, and to relieve visceral spasms. The drug has also been used in the form of eye drops for mydriatic effect.
- The action of extracellular NAD+ on gluconeogenesis in the perfused rat liverAdriana G Martins
Laboratory of Liver Metabolism, University of Maringa, 87020900 Maringa, Brazil
Mol Cell Biochem 286:115-24. 2006..Since inhibition did not manifest significantly in retrograde perfusion it is likely that the generating signal is located in pre-sinusoidal regions...
- Effects of muscarinic antagonists on ZENK expression in the chicken retinaMichaela Bitzer
Section for Neurobiology of the Eye, University Eye Hospital, Calwerstr 7 1, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Exp Eye Res 82:379-88. 2006..We have tested whether the muscarinic antagonists atropine, pirenzepine, oxyphenonium, gallamine, MT-3, himbacine, and 4-DAMP can stimulate ZENK expression so that the drugs' inhibitory effect on ..
- [Effect of acetylcholine and C-reactive protein on regulation of anaphylactic shock in guinea pigs]G I Nezhinskaia
Eksp Klin Farmakol 68:49-52. 2005..The effective antishock therapy led to normalization of the antibody production activity of B-lymphocytes, while unprotected animals exhibited increased level of antibody production...
- Variable effects of previously untested muscarinic receptor antagonists on experimental myopiaW Alana Luft
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Lions Sight Center and Neuroscience Research Group, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:1330-8. 2003..The mechanisms and sites of action of these drugs against myopia are not clear. To shed further light on whether this mechanism is muscarinic, several other muscarinic antagonists were tested...
- Solution structures of 1:1 complexes of oxyphenonium bromide with beta- and gamma-cyclodextrinsNoriaki Funasaki
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Mol Pharm 1:166-72. 2004The solution structures of complexes of oxyphenonium bromide (OB) with beta- and gamma-cyclodextrins (beta- and gamma-CDs, respectively) in deuterium oxide have been investigated by 500 MHz proton NMR spectroscopy and molecular mechanics ..
- [Mechanisms of inhibition of the contractile activity in the ileo-caecal zone in rabbits under psychogenic stress]T P Berezina
Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 91:893-902. 2005....
- Role of cholinergic structures in individual resistance of rat circulatory system to posthemorrhagic hypoxiaN Ya Kovalenko
Institute of General Pathology and Pathophysiology, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow
Bull Exp Biol Med 140:177-80. 2005..Preliminary blockade of peripheral muscarinic cholinoceptors with methacin prevented the decrease in the cardiac output in low resistant animals during the posthemorrhagic period...
- Regional difference of endothelium-dependent contractility in human umbilical arteryKiyomi Tsukimori
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Maidashi, Fukuoka, Japan
J Perinat Med 33:534-8. 2005..These findings suggest that the difference in Doppler waveform of the umbilical artery depending on the sampling site is related to differences in vascular resistance that result from endothelium-related function...
- Neuronal mechanisms responsible for ongoing activity of rabbit superior cervical ganglion neurons- Ivanov AYa
Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology, Kiev, Ukraine
J Auton Nerv Syst 41:61-6. 1992..This effect is probably due to the increase in the duration of after-hyperpolarization observed after the application of methacine.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Masking mechanisms of bitter taste of drugs studied with ion selective electrodesNoriaki Funasaki
Department of Physical Chemistry and 21st Century COE Program, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:1155-61. 2006The masking mechanisms of the bitter taste of propantheline bromide (PB) and oxyphenonium (OB) bromide by native and modified cyclodextrins, saccharides, surfactants, organic acids, nonionic and anionic polymers, and other compounds were ..
- In vivo effects of amtolmetin guacyl on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defence systems. Comparison with non-selective and COX-2 selective NSAIDsM Kirkova
Institute of Physiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia, Bulgaria
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 27:99-104. 2007..3. It is suggested that the lack of pro-oxidant effects in vivo associated with amtolmetin guacyl treatment contribute improved gastric tolerability...
- Cholinergic modulation of anaphylactic shock: plasma proteins influenceGalina I Nezhinskaya
Department of Neuropharmacology, Elsevier Inc logy, Institute of Experimental Medicine, The Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg 197376, Russia
Life Sci 80:2342-6. 2007..At the pathochemical stage of shock IgG increases the antianaphylactic activity of methacine, but albumin and CRP abolish it...
- Stability-indicating method for determination of oxyphenonium bromide and its degradation product by high-performance liquid chromatographyAlaa El-Gindy
Suez Canal University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry Department, Ismailia 41522, Egypt
J AOAC Int 90:1250-7. 2007A high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method was developed for determination of oxyphenonium bromide (OX) and its degradation product...
- Blood plasma proteins modulate the broncholytic effects of a muscarinic receptor antagonistG I Nezhinskaya
S V Anichkov Department of Neuropharmacology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg
Bull Exp Biol Med 145:55-7. 2008..The concentration of serotonin in mesenteric lymph nodes was high during shock...
- Effects of cholinotropic and cytostatic drugs on the development of Arthus reactionG I Nezhinskaya
S V Anichkov Department of Neuropharmacology, Institute of Experimental Medicine, The Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg, Russia
Bull Exp Biol Med 146:747-9. 2008..Apoptosis of tumor cell and inhibition of inflammation can be essential for chemotherapy of malignant and autoimmune diseases...
- Mechanism for the inhibition of contractile activity of the gastric antrum and pylorus in rabbits during psychogenic stressT P Berezina
Laboratory for Physiology of Digestion, Department for Physiology of Visceral Systems, Institute of Experimental Medicine, Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, St Petersburg, Russia
Bull Exp Biol Med 147:296-300. 2009..It resulted from the influence of a hormonal stress factor on the stomach, which was probably realized through nonadrenergic inhibitory neurons of the enteric nervous system...
- [Mechanism of the serotonin effect on motility of the duodenum, ileum, and jejunum in awake rabbits]V I Ovsiannikov
Institute of Experimental Medicine of the Russian Acad Med Sci, St Petersburg, 197376, Acad Pavlov St, 12, Russia
Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 88:1017-27. 2002..The initial suppression of the motility is caused by participation of nonadrenergic noncholinergic inhibitory mechanism, and the secondary inhibition of contractile activity of a small bowel with serotonin has an adrenergic nature...
- Stoichiometric and microenvironmental effects on hydrolysis of propantheline and oxyphenonium bromides in cyclodextrin solutionsN Funasaki
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto 607 8414, Japan
J Pharm Sci 90:740-8. 2001..of alpha-, beta-, and gamma-cyclodextrins (CDs) on the basic hydrolysis of propantheline bromide (PB) and oxyphenonium bromide (OB) are analyzed in terms of the stoichiometry and microenvironments of their complexes...
- The postcardiac injury syndromesA H Khan
Division of Cardiology, Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island, Pawtucket 02860
Clin Cardiol 15:67-72. 1992..Anti-inflammatory agents are helpful; indo-methacin and steroids are preferably avoided. Rarely, PMIS-like syndrome may occur following pulmonary embolism. Anticoagulation and steroids have been used successfully in the latter situation...
- Hepatic transport of the magnetic resonance imaging contrast agent Fe(III)-N-(3-phenylglutaryl)desferrioxamine BB A Hoener
Department of Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Magn Reson Med 17:509-15. 1991..In animals pretreated with a saturating dose of taurocholate, oxyphenonium, or bromosulfophthalein (BSP), 25 +/- 6%, 23 +/- 1%, or 1.6 +/- 0...
- The effect of oxyphenonium bromide and oxybutynin hydrochloride on detrusor contractility and reflux in children with vesicoureteral reflux and detrusor instabilityR J Scholtmeijer
Erasmus University Medical School, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
J Urol 146:660-2. 1991In a prospective study the effects of the anticholinergic drugs oxyphenonium bromide and oxybutynin hydrochloride on detrusor contractility and reflux were studied...
- [The atropine test in patients with stress incontinence and their treatment with a combination of diltiazem and oxyphenonium]A Martan
I gynek porod klinika FVL KU, Praha
Cesk Gynekol 55:406-12. 1990..were subsequently treated by a combination of dilthiazem (Diacordin), 3 X 30 mg by the oral route per day and oxyphenonium (Oxyphenon dupl.) 2 X 10 mg by the oral route per day...
- Synthesis of d-[11C]oxyphenonium iodide, a potential radioligand for in vivo visualization of human cholinergic muscarinic receptor-sites by positron emission tomographyJ W Vlek
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital, The Netherlands
Int J Rad Appl Instrum A 41:453-6. 1990Carbon-11 labeled d-oxyphenonium iodide, a cholinergic antagonist is synthesized for in vivo visualization of muscarinic receptor-sites on airway tissue by positron emission tomography (PET)...
- Unequal disposition of enantiomers of the organic cation oxyphenonium in the rat isolated perfused liverK G Feitsma
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Toxicology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
J Pharm Pharmacol 41:27-31. 1989..describes the results of pharmacokinetic experiments in the rat isolated perfused liver with enantiomers of oxyphenonium. The study was performed with the [14C]methyl labelled compounds...
- Comparative study of the bronchodilating effects of (-)- and (+)-oxyphenonium bromideK G Feitsma
Department of Analytical Chemistry and Toxicology, Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 25:683-7. 19881. Racemic oxyphenonium bromide, its enantiomers and placebo were inhaled by eight adult patients with chronic airflow obstruction, in a four-way double-blind cross-over study. 2...
- Evaluation of antimuscarinic activity in human volunteers: a teaching aid in clinical pharmacologyS K Tripathi
Department of Pharmacology, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 39:163-5. 1995The antimuscarinic activity of oxyphenonium bromide, diphenhydramine hydrochloride and astemizole were evaluated in six volunteers. The parameters used were salivary secretion, heart rate and pupillary size...
- [Drug therapy of urge incontinence in the female]A Martan
I Frauenklinik der Karls Universität Prag
Zentralbl Gynakol 115:205-9. 1993..The results showed that the patients treated by spasmolytics (Oxyphenonium bromatum/Hexasonium jodatum/Papaverin) had the lowest rate of side effects in comparison with the women treated ..
- Effect of purification followed by solubilization of receptor material on quantitative receptor assays for anticholinergic drugsJ Smisterová
Groningen Institute for Drug Studies, University Centre for Pharmacy, The Netherlands
J Pharm Biomed Anal 14:1425-33. 1996..for two chemically different anticholinergics, the tertiary amine scopolamine and the quaternary amine oxyphenonium, were calculated from inhibition studies of 3H-NMS binding in buffer and plasma...
- Safety pharmacology of a combination of tinidazole and oxyphenonium bromideT Joseph
Department of Pharmacology, St John s Medical College, Bangalore, India
Arzneimittelforschung 47:869-72. 1997The effect of a combination of 150 mg tinidazole (CAS 19387-91-8) and 1 mg oxyphenonium bromide (CAS 50-10-2), referred to as the combination, was examined in various animal species to assess its safety...
- Ultraviolet spectroscopic estimation of microenvironments and bitter tastes of oxyphenonium bromide in cyclodextrin solutionsN Funasaki
Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, 5, Nakauchicho, Misasagi, Yamashina ku, Kyoto, 607 8414, Japan
J Pharm Sci 88:759-62. 1999The UV absorbance and bitter taste of oxyphenonium bromide (OB), an antiacetylcholine drug, in cyclodextrin (CD) solutions are measured, and the local environment of the binding site and the reduction of the bitter taste intensity are ..
- [Myoelectrical activity in the stomach during ulcerogenic exposure in rabbits]N N Kuznetsova
Institute of Experimental Medicine of the Russian Acad Med Sci, St Petersburg, Russia
Ross Fiziol Zh Im I M Sechenova 85:1560-6. 1999..Bensohexonium prevented the changes as well as ulceration. Metacin combined with proserin accelerated healing of the ulcer and the rate of stomach myoelectrical activity...
- Electron paramagnetic resonance and electron nuclear double resonance spectroscopic identification and characterization of the tyrosyl radicals in prostaglandin H synthase 1W Shi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, Texas 77225, USA
Biochemistry 39:4112-21. 2000..Our ENDOR data also indicate that the catalytically active, wide-doublet species is not hydrogen bonded, which may enhance its reactivity toward the fatty-acid substrate bound nearby...
- Dual effects of muscarinic M(2) acetylcholine receptors on the synthesis of cyclic AMP in CHO cells: dependence on time, receptor density and receptor agonistsP Michal
Institute of Physiology, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Videnska 1083, 14220 Prague, Czech Republic
Br J Pharmacol 132:1217-28. 2001..The stimulatory components disappeared after the density of receptors had been lowered with oxyphenonium mustard. 3. All agonists stimulated the synthesis of cyclic AMP in cells pretreated with pertussis toxin. 4...
- Ethanesulfohydroxamic acid ester prodrugs of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs): synthesis, nitric oxide and nitroxyl release, cyclooxygenase inhibition, anti-inflammatory, and ulcerogenicity index studiesZhangjian Huang
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton Alberta T6G 2N8, Canada
J Med Chem 54:1356-64. 2011....