Genomes and Genes
Summary: Natural product isolated from Streptomyces pilosus. It forms iron complexes and is used as a chelating agent, particularly in the mesylate form.
Publications328 found, 100 shown here
- Delayed administration of deferoxamine reduces brain damage and promotes functional recovery after transient focal cerebral ischemia in the ratThomas Freret
CNRS UMR 6185, Cyceron, University of Caen Basse Normandie, Bvd H Becquerel F 14074 Caen cedex, France
Eur J Neurosci 23:1757-65. 2006..In order to strengthen the expression of these hypoxia-inducible factors, we administered deferoxamine, an iron chelator known to stabilize HIF-1alpha protein expression, and examined its effects on the functional ..
- Cardiac and hepatic iron and ejection fraction in thalassemia major: multicentre prospective comparison of combined deferiprone and deferoxamine therapy against deferiprone or deferoxamine monotherapyAlessia Pepe
Cardiovascular MR Unit, Fondazione G, Monasterio CNR Regione Toscana and Institute of Clinical Physiology, Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 15:1. 2013..was to prospectively compare in thalassemia major (TM) patients the efficacy of combined deferiprone (DFP) and deferoxamine (DFO) regimen versus either DFP and DFO in monotherapy by cardiovascular magnetic resonance (CMR) over a follow ..
- Iron chelation via deferoxamine exacerbates experimental salmonellosis via inhibition of the nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate oxidase-dependent respiratory burstHelen L Collins
Department of Immunology, Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology, Berlin, Germany
J Immunol 168:3458-63. 2002..Thus, altering the equilibrium of intracellular Fe influences the course of infection to the benefit of the pathogen...
- The preventive role of deferoxamine against acute doxorubicin-induced cardiac, renal and hepatic toxicity in ratsS Y Saad
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, College of Pharmacy, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Pharmacol Res 43:211-8. 2001The iron chelating activity of deferoxamine (DFO) has been exploited to obtain protection against the peroxidative damage in rat heart which was induced by the administration of an acute dose of doxorubicin (DXR, 25 mg x kg(-1), i.v.)...
- Intralysosomal iron chelation protects against oxidative stress-induced cellular damageTino Kurz
Division of Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linkoping University, Sweden
FEBS J 273:3106-17. 2006....
- Iron chelation with deferasirox in adult and pediatric patients with thalassemia major: efficacy and safety during 5 years' follow-upM Domenica Cappellini
Universita di Milano, Ca Granda Foundation Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico corrected IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Blood 118:884-93. 2011..trial entered a 4-year extension study, either continuing on deferasirox (deferasirox cohort) or switching from deferoxamine to deferasirox (crossover cohort). Of 555 patients who received ≥ 1 deferasirox dose, 66...
- Prophylactic neuroprotection against stroke: low-dose, prolonged treatment with deferoxamine or deferasirox establishes prolonged neuroprotection independent of HIF-1 functionYanxin Zhao
Department of Neurology, Center for Neural Development and Disease, The Interdepartmental Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 31:1412-23. 2011..Prolyl hydroxylase inhibitors (PHIs), such as deferoxamine (DFO), reduce stroke volume when administered at high doses in the peristroke period, which is largely mediated ..
- A randomized controlled 1-year study of daily deferiprone plus twice weekly desferrioxamine compared with daily deferiprone monotherapy in patients with thalassemia majorYesim Aydinok
Ege University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Hematology 35100 Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Haematologica 92:1599-606. 2007..The aim of this prospective, randomized, 1-year study was to compare the efficacy and safety of oral deferiprone (DFP) with those of combinations of parenteral desferrioxamine (DFO) with oral DFP...
- Effects of combined deferiprone with deferoxamine on right ventricular function in thalassaemia majorFrancisco Alpendurada
Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust, London, UK
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 14:8. 2012Combination therapy with deferoxamine and oral deferiprone is superior to deferoxamine alone in removing cardiac iron and improving left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF)...
- The potential of iron chelators of the pyridoxal isonicotinoyl hydrazone class as effective antiproliferative agents, IV: The mechanisms involved in inhibiting cell-cycle progressionJ Gao
Iron Metabolism and Chelation Group, The Heart Research Institute, 145 Missenden Road, Camperdown, Sydney, New South Wales, 2050 Australia
Blood 98:842-50. 2001..Failure to translate these cell-cycle inhibitors may contribute to dysregulation of the cell cycle after exposure to chelators. (Blood. 2001;98:842-850)..
- Growth inhibition of bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei by the iron chelator deferoxamineTanja Breidbach
Abteilung Parasitologie, Hygiene Institut der Ruprecht Karls Universität, Im Neuenheimer Feld 324, D 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Int J Parasitol 32:473-9. 2002Treatment of bloodstream forms of Trypanosoma brucei with the iron chelator deferoxamine inhibits the proliferation of the parasites...
- The expanded clinical spectrum of deferoxamine retinopathyRobert Haimovici
Department of Ophthalmology, Boston University School of Medicine, DOB 10 720 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Ophthalmology 109:164-71. 2002To describe early and unusual features in 16 patients with deferoxamine-induced retinal toxicity and to assess the role of diagnostic tests in the diagnosis and management of patients with the disorder.
- Inflammation and oxidant-stress in beta-thalassemia patients treated with iron chelators deferasirox (ICL670) or deferoxamine: an ancillary study of the Novartis CICL670A0107 trialPatrick B Walter
Children s Hospital and Research Center Oakland, 747 52nd Street, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Haematologica 93:817-25. 2008We assessed whether oxidant-stress and inflammation in beta-thalassemia could be controlled by the novel oral iron chelator deferasirox as effectively as by deferoxamine.
- Hemoglobin and iron handling in brain after subarachnoid hemorrhage and the effect of deferoxamine on early brain injuryJin Yul Lee
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 2200, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 30:1793-803. 2010..hemorrhage (SAH), examine the relationship between iron and neuroglial cell changes, and determine whether deferoxamine (DFX) can reduce SAH-induced injury...
- Intranasal deferoxamine provides increased brain exposure and significant protection in rat ischemic strokeLeah R Hanson
Alzheimer s Research Center at Regions Hospital, HealthPartners Research Foundation, St Paul, Minnesota 55101, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 330:679-86. 2009b>Deferoxamine (DFO) is a high-affinity iron chelator approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating iron overload...
- Cerenkov luminescence imaging of medical isotopesAlessandro Ruggiero
Nuclear Medicine Service, Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York 10065, USA
J Nucl Med 51:1123-30. 2010..Here, we report the use of the inherent optical emissions from the decay of radiopharmaceuticals for Cerenkov luminescence imaging (CLI) of tumors in vivo and correlate the results with those obtained from concordant immuno-PET studies...
- Neuroprotection of deferoxamine on rotenone-induced injury via accumulation of HIF-1 alpha and induction of autophagy in SH-SY5Y cellsYuncheng Wu
Department of Neurology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200080, PR China
Neurochem Int 57:198-205. 2010..b>Deferoxamine is one of iron chelators that may accumulate HIF-1 alpha due to the decreased degradation of HIF-1 alpha via ..
- Effects of deferoxamine-activated hypoxia-inducible factor-1 on the brainstem after subarachnoid hemorrhage in ratsTomohito Hishikawa
Department of Neurological Surgery, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama, Japan
Neurosurgery 62:232-40; discussion 240-1. 2008..the relationship between HIF-1 expression and subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH) and to characterize the effects of deferoxamine (DFO)-induced increases in HIF-1 protein levels on the brainstem and the basilar artery (BA) after experimental ..
- Deferoxamine mesylate is toxic for retinal pigment epithelium cells in vitro, and its toxicity is mediated by p38Alexa Klettner
University of Kiel, University Medical Center, Department of Ophthalmology, Germany
Cutan Ocul Toxicol 29:122-9. 2010b>Deferoxamine mesylate is clinically used as a chelating agent but might induce retinopathy. To evaluate its effect on the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE), porcine RPE cells were stimulated with deferoxamine...
- Deferasirox, deferiprone and desferrioxamine treatment in thalassemia major patients: cardiac iron and function comparison determined by quantitative magnetic resonance imagingAlessia Pepe
Magnetic Resonance Imaging Unit, Fondazione G Monasterio, C N R Regione Toscana, Pisa, Italy
Haematologica 96:41-7. 2011....
- Ascorbate and deferoxamine administration after chlorine exposure decrease mortality and lung injury in miceSotirios G Zarogiannis
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine and Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:386-92. 2011..Ascorbate and deferoxamine were administered intramuscularly every 12 hours and by nose-only inhalation every 24 hours for 3 days starting ..
- Promotion of airway anastomotic microvascular regeneration and alleviation of airway ischemia by deferoxamine nanoparticlesXinguo Jiang
Division of Pulmonary Critical Care, Department of Medicine, VA Palo Alto Health Care System Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA, USA
Biomaterials 35:803-13. 2014..b>Deferoxamine mesylate (DFO) is an FDA-approved iron chelator which has been shown to upregulate cellular HIF-1α...
- Standardized methods for the production of high specific-activity zirconium-89Jason P Holland
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Department of Radiology, New York, NY 10065, USA
Nucl Med Biol 36:729-39. 2009..The detailed methods described can be easily translated to other radiochemistry facilities and will facilitate the use of (89)Zr in both basic science and clinical investigations...
- Desferrioxamine-mediated iron uptake in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Evidence for two pathways of iron uptakeC W Yun
Liver Diseases Section, NIDDK, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1800, USA
J Biol Chem 275:10709-15. 2000..These data indicate that S. cerevisiae has two pathways for ferrrioxamine-mediated iron uptake, one occurring at the plasma membrane and the other occurring in an intracellular compartment...
- Iron reduction by deferoxamine leads to amelioration of adiposity via the regulation of oxidative stress and inflammation in obese and type 2 diabetes KKAy miceSoichiro Tajima
Dept of Pharmacology, University of Tokushima Graduate School of Health Biosciences, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima, Japan
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 302:E77-86. 2012..Eight-week-old KKAy mice were divided into two groups and treated with deferoxamine (DFO), an iron chelator agent, or a vehicle for 2 wk...
- Desferoxamine and ethyl-3,4-dihydroxybenzoate protect myocardium by activating NOS and generating mitochondrial ROSSebastian Philipp
Dept of Physiology, Univ of South Alabama College of Medicine, Mobile, AL 36688, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 290:H450-7. 2006..Hence, DFO and EDHB stimulate NO-dependent activation of PKG to open mitoK(ATP) channels and produce ROS, which act as second messengers to trigger entrance into the preconditioned state...
- Chronic intranasal deferoxamine ameliorates motor defects and pathology in the α-synuclein rAAV Parkinson's modelFabia Febbraro
CNS Disease Modeling Group, Department of Biomedicine, Aarhus University, DK 8000 Aarhus C, Denmark
Exp Neurol 247:45-58. 2013..Here, we investigate the possible neuroprotective effect of the iron chelator deferoxamine in vivo to elucidate whether iron chelation can provide meaningful therapy for Parkinson's disease...
- Intranasal deferoxamine reverses iron-induced memory deficits and inhibits amyloidogenic APP processing in a transgenic mouse model of Alzheimer's diseaseChuang Guo
Department of Pathophysiology, China Medical University, Shenyang, China
Neurobiol Aging 34:562-75. 2013..We evaluated the effects of intranasal administration of the high-affinity iron chelator deferoxamine (DFO) on Aβ neuropathology and spatial learning and memory deficits created in this AD model...
- Cold induces catalytic iron release of cytochrome P-450 origin: a critical step in cold storage-induced renal injuryHong Huang
Department of Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216 4505, USA
Am J Transplant 2:631-9. 2002..P-450 inhibitors significantly reduced cold-induced BDI release. Furthermore, cimetidine and iron chelator deferoxamine (DFO) significantly reduced cold-induced cell injury, suggesting a role for P-450-derived iron in cold-induced ..
- Effect of deferiprone or deferoxamine on right ventricular function in thalassemia major patients with myocardial iron overloadGillian C Smith
CMR Unit, Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust, Sydney Street, London SW3 6NP, UK
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 13:34. 2011..Deferiprone has been reported to be superior to deferoxamine for the removal of cardiac iron and improvement in left ventricular (LV) function but little is known of their ..
- Histidine-induced injury to cultured liver cells, effects of histidine derivatives and of iron chelatorsU Rauen
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Hufelandstr 55, 45122, Essen, Germany
Cell Mol Life Sci 64:192-205. 2007..and by the membrane-permeable iron chelators 2,2'-dipyridyl, 1,10-phenanthroline, LK 614, LK 616 and deferoxamine. Thus, histidine-induced cell injury appears to be mediated by an iron-dependent formation of reactive oxygen ..
- Improvement of the cold storage of isolated human hepatocytesGesine Pless
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum Essen, Essen, Germany
Cell Transplant 21:23-37. 2012..Cold-induced injury could be significantly reduced by the addition of the iron chelators deferoxamine and LK 614...
- Deferoxamine promotes angiogenesis via the activation of vascular endothelial cell functionYasumasa Ikeda
Department of Pharmacology, University of Tokushima Graduate School of Health Biosciences, 3 18 15 Kuramoto cho, Tokushima 770 8503, Japan
Atherosclerosis 215:339-47. 2011b>Deferoxamine (DFO), an iron chelator for disorders of excess iron, upregulates the expression of angiogenic factors, such as vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), indicating that it affects angiogenesis...
- The potential of desferrioxamine-gallium as an anti-Pseudomonas therapeutic agentEhud Banin
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:16761-6. 2008..The use of DFO-Ga as a Trojan horse delivery system that interferes with iron metabolism shows promise as a treatment for P. aeruginosa infections...
- p-Isothiocyanatobenzyl-desferrioxamine: a new bifunctional chelate for facile radiolabeling of monoclonal antibodies with zirconium-89 for immuno-PET imagingLars R Perk
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 37:250-9. 2010..To enable widespread use of (89)Zr-immuno-PET, we now introduce the novel BFC p-isothiocyanatobenzyl-desferrioxamine B (Df-Bz-NCS) and compare its performance in (89)Zr-immuno-PET with the reference BFC TFP-N-sucDf...
- Measuring the pharmacodynamic effects of a novel Hsp90 inhibitor on HER2/neu expression in mice using Zr-DFO-trastuzumabJason P Holland
Radiochemistry Service, Department of Radiology, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, New York, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8859. 2010..In addition, pharmacodynamic studies on HER2/neu expression levels in response to therapeutic doses of PU-H71 (a specific inhibitor of heat-shock protein 90 [Hsp90]) were conducted...
- Pathways for the regulation of interferon-gamma-inducible genes by iron in human monocytic cellsHorst Oexle
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
J Leukoc Biol 74:287-94. 2003..Thus, iron perturbations regulate IFN-gamma effector pathways by transcriptional and post-transcriptional mechanisms, indicating that iron rather interferes with IFN-gamma signal-transduction processes...
- Deferoxamine-induced attenuation of brain edema and neurological deficits in a rat model of intracerebral hemorrhageTakehiro Nakamura
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0532, USA
J Neurosurg 100:672-8. 2004..In the present study the authors investigate whether deferoxamine, an iron chelator, can reduce ICH-induced brain injury.
- Cytosolic aconitase and ferritin are regulated by iron in Caenorhabditis elegansBrett L Gourley
Eccles Program in Human Molecular Biology and Genetics and Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah 84112, USA
J Biol Chem 278:3227-34. 2003..Excess iron did not significantly alter worm development but did shorten their life span. These studies indicated that iron homeostasis in C. elegans shares some similarities with those of vertebrates...
- Ubiquitination of hypoxia-inducible factor requires direct binding to the beta-domain of the von Hippel-Lindau proteinM Ohh
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Womens Hospital and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Nat Cell Biol 2:423-7. 2000..These results strengthen the link between overaccumulation of HIF and development of VHL disease...
- The role of the aryl hydrocarbon receptor nuclear translocator (ARNT) in hypoxic induction of gene expression. Studies in ARNT-deficient cellsS M Wood
Erythropoietin Group, Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 271:15117-23. 1996....
- Prospective evaluation of patient-reported outcomes during treatment with deferasirox or deferoxamine for iron overload in patients with beta-thalassemiaMaria Domenica Cappellini
Fondazione Policlinico IRCCS, Universitd di Milano, Milan, Italy
Clin Ther 29:909-17. 2007Iron chelation therapy (ICT) with deferoxamine (DFO), the current standard for the treatment of iron overload in patients with transfusion-dependent disorders such as beta-thalassemia, requires regular subcutaneous or intravenous ..
- Desferrioxamine, an iron chelator, enhances HIF-1alpha accumulation via cyclooxygenase-2 signaling pathwayKyung Jin Woo
Department of Immunology and Chronic Disease Research Center and Institute for Medical Science, School of Medicine, Keimyung University, 194 DongSan Dong Jung Gu, Taegu 700 712, South Korea
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 343:8-14. 2006..Together, our findings suggest that iron metabolism may regulate stabilization of HIF-1alpha protein by modulating cyclooxygenase-2 signaling pathway...
- Normalisation of total body iron load with very intensive combined chelation reverses cardiac and endocrine complications of thalassaemia majorKallistheni Farmaki
Transfusion Department and Thalassaemia Unit, General Hospital of Corinth, Leoforos Athinon 53, Corinth 20100, Greece
Br J Haematol 148:466-75. 2010..These results suggest that intensive combined chelation normalized patients' iron load and thereby prevented and reversed cardiac and multiple endocrine complications associated with transfusion iron overload...
- Ferrioxamine-mediated Iron(III) utilization by Salmonella entericaR A Kingsley
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
Appl Environ Microbiol 65:1610-8. 1999..In addition, a foxA mutant was markedly attenuated in mice inoculated by either the intragastric or intravenous route. Mice inoculated with the foxA mutant were protected against subsequent challenge by the foxA+ parent strain...
- Long-term sequential deferiprone-deferoxamine versus deferiprone alone for thalassaemia major patients: a randomized clinical trialAurelio Maggio
U O C Ematologia II con Talassemia, A O V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Br J Haematol 145:245-54. 2009..randomized open-label trial was designed to assess the effectiveness of long-term sequential deferiprone-deferoxamine (DFO-DFP) versus DFP alone to treat thalassaemia major (TM)...
- Rapid development of severe toxic retinopathy associated with continuous intravenous deferoxamine infusionT Y Y Lai
Br J Ophthalmol 90:243-4. 2006
- Deferoxamine decreases the excitatory amino acid levels and improves the histological outcome in the hippocampus of neonatal rats after hypoxia-ischemiaGeorgios Papazisis
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, P O Box 1532, 54006 Thessaloniki, Greece
Pharmacol Res 57:73-8. 2008..b>Deferoxamine (DFO), a chelator of non-protein-bound iron, has been shown to inhibit lipid peroxidation and hydroxyl radical ..
- Improvement of the cold storage of blood vessels with a vascular preservation solution. Study in porcine aortic segmentsTimo Wille
Institut fur Physiologische Chemie, Universitatsklinikum, Essen, Germany
J Vasc Surg 47:422-31. 2008..Hypothesizing that this iron-dependent cold-induced injury might also occur in the endothelium of intact vessels, we here set out to optimize the hypothermic storage of blood vessels...
- Trypanosoma cruzi: effect of benznidazole therapy combined with the iron chelator desferrioxamine in infected miceAmanda Fortes Francisco
Núcleo de Pesquisas em Ciências Biológicas, Instituto de Ciências Exatas e Biológicas, Universidade Federal de Ouro Preto, Rua Costa Sena, 171, Campus Universitário Morro do Cruzeiro Cep 35 400 000 Ouro Preto, MG, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 120:314-9. 2008..The results demonstrate that modification in iron stores increases BZ efficacy...
- Improving survival with deferiprone treatment in patients with thalassemia major: a prospective multicenter randomised clinical trial under the auspices of the Italian Society for Thalassemia and HemoglobinopathiesAurelio Maggio
U O C Ematologia II con Talassemia, A O V Cervello, Palermo, Italy
Blood Cells Mol Dis 42:247-51. 2009..was reduced or completely absent in patients treated with deferiprone (DFP) alone or a combined deferiprone-deferoxamine (DFP-DFO) chelation treatment...
- Patient-reported outcomes of deferasirox (Exjade, ICL670) versus deferoxamine in sickle cell disease patients with transfusional hemosiderosis. Substudy of a randomized open-label phase II trialElliott Vichinsky
Children s Hospital and Research Center, Oakland, CA 94609, USA
Acta Haematol 119:133-41. 2008..However, resultant iron overload can be life threatening if untreated. Chelation therapy with deferoxamine requires parenteral infusions that can negatively impact quality of life and adherence to treatment.
- A widespread deferoxamine-mediated iron-uptake system in Vibrio vulnificusChoon Mee Kim
Research Center for Resistant Cells, Chosun University Medical School, 375 Seosuk dong, Dong Gu, Gwangju, Republic of Korea
J Infect Dis 196:1537-45. 2007Vibrio vulnificus can use the standard iron chelator deferoxamine (Desferal) for efficient iron-uptake via the specific receptor DesA, which is encoded by desA...
- Comparison between desferrioxamine and combined therapy with desferrioxamine and deferiprone in iron overloaded thalassaemia patientsFadi H Mourad
Department of Internal Medicine, The American University of Beirut Medical Centre, Beirut, Lebanon
Br J Haematol 121:187-9. 2003..Main side-effects were skin reactions (DFX alone), nausea and arthralgia (combined therapy). As chelation therapy, the combined protocol was as effective as DFX five times weekly...
- Oxidative damage of DNA by the reaction of amino acid with methylglyoxal in the presence of Fe(III)Jung Hoon Kang
Department of Genetic Engineering, Chongju University, Chongju 360 764, South Korea
Int J Biol Macromol 33:43-8. 2003..This mechanism, in part, may provide an explanation for the deterioration of organs under diabetic conditions...
- Deferoxamine prevents cardiac hypertrophy and failure in the gerbil model of iron-induced cardiomyopathyTianen Yang
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, USA
J Lab Clin Med 142:332-40. 2003To evaluate the effects of the iron chelator deferoxamine on the functional and structural manifestations of iron-induced cardiac dysfunction, we measured cardiac power, left ventricular systolic, and diastolic function as (dP/dt)max and (..
- A prospective randomized controlled trial on the safety and efficacy of alternating deferoxamine and deferiprone in the treatment of iron overload in patients with thalassemiaRenzo Galanello
Department of Biomedical Science and Biotechnology, University of Cagliari, Ospedale Microcitemico, Italy
Haematologica 91:1241-3. 2006We compared the safety and efficacy of alternating deferoxamine and deferiprone with that of deferoxamine monotherapy...
- Effect of alpha-tocopherol and deferoxamine on methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicityMee Jung Park
Dept of Forensic Science, National Institute of Scientific Investigation, Yangchon ku, Seoul, 158 707, Korea
Brain Res 1109:176-82. 2006..This study examined the effect of alpha-tocopherol (alpha-TC), a scavenger of reactive oxygen species, and deferoxamine (DFO), an iron chelator, on the MA-induced neurotoxicity...
- Value of sequential monitoring of left ventricular ejection fraction in the management of thalassemia majorBernard A Davis
Department of Haematology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, and Department of Research and Development, University College London Hospitals, United Kingdom
Blood 104:263-9. 2004..percentage units, intensified chelation therapy was recommended (21 with subcutaneous and 13 with intravenous deferoxamine). All 27 patients who complied with intensification survived, whereas the 7 who did not comply died (P <...
- Desferrioxamine attenuates minor lung injury following surgical acute liver failureG G Kostopanagiotou
Second Dept of Anaesthesiology, University of Athens School ofMedicine, Attikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur Respir J 33:1429-36. 2009..The limited activity of PLA(2) and the attenuation of pneumonocyte necrosis could represent beneficial mechanisms by which DFX improves alveolar-capillary membrane permeability and prevents alveolar space collapse...
- Relationship between hepatocellular injury and transfusional iron overload prior to and during iron chelation with desferrioxamine: a study in adult patients with acquired anemiasPeter D Jensen
Department of Hematology and Center for Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark
Blood 101:91-6. 2003..Our findings may be helpful in establishing criteria for safety from complications of transfusional iron overload...
- The influence of deferiprone (L1) and deferoxamine on iron and essential element tissue level and parameters of oxidative status in dietary iron-loaded miceVladislav Eybl
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charles University Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen, Karlovarska 48, 301 66 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Toxicol Lett 128:169-75. 2002..was used in this study to produce an iron-overload model in experimental animals for evaluating the effect of deferoxamine (DFO) and deferiprone (L1) on tissue-stored iron, induced lipid peroxidation (LP) and parameters of oxidative ..
- Persistence and compliance of deferoxamine versus deferasirox in Medicaid patients with sickle-cell diseaseL B Jordan
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Inc, Baltimore, MD, USA
J Clin Pharm Ther 37:173-81. 2012..Two iron chelating agents are currently available in the United States: Deferoxamine (DFO) is an injectable formulation, and deferasirox (Exjade(®) ) is an oral suspension...
- Sequential alternating deferiprone and deferoxamine treatment compared to deferiprone monotherapy: main findings and clinical follow-up of a large multicenter randomized clinical trial in -thalassemia major patientsGaetano Restivo Pantalone
Unità Operativa Complessa Ematologia II con Talassemia, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedali Riuniti Villa Sofia, Vincenzo Cervello, Palermo, Italia
Hemoglobin 35:206-16. 2011..Recommended first line treatment is deferoxamine (DFO) from the age of 2 and second line treatment after the age of 6 is deferiprone (L1)...
- Morphological evidence of ototoxicity of the iron chelator deferoxamineB Ryals
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA 22807, USA
Hear Res 112:44-8. 1997..ototoxicity by iron chelators led us to re-examine experimental material from a previously unpublished study of deferoxamine. Deferoxamine was injected i.m. into adult Japanese quail at either 300 or 750 mg/kg body weight for 30 days...
- Deferoxamine reverses radiation induced hypovascularity during bone regeneration and repair in the murine mandibleAaron S Farberg
Craniofacial Research Laboratory, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0219, USA
Bone 50:1184-7. 2012b>Deferoxamine (DFO) is an iron-chelating agent that has also been shown to increase angiogenesis...
- Modulation of inflammatory response after spinal cord trauma with deferoxamine, an iron chelatorIrene Paterniti
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Gazzi, Messina, Italy
Free Radic Res 44:694-709. 2010The standard iron-chelator deferoxamine is known to reduce neurological deficits...
- Intranasal deferoxamine improves performance in radial arm water maze, stabilizes HIF-1α, and phosphorylates GSK3β in P301L tau transgenic miceJ M Fine
Alzheimer s Research Center, HealthPartners Research Foundation at Regions Hospital, St Paul, MN 55101, USA
Exp Brain Res 219:381-90. 2012b>Deferoxamine (DFO), a metal chelator, has been previously reported to slow the loss of spatial memory in a mouse model of amyloid accumulation when delivered intranasally (IN)...
- Localized deferoxamine injection augments vascularity and improves bony union in pathologic fracture healing after radiotherapyAlexis Donneys
Craniofacial Research Laboratory, Plastic Surgery Section, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 4215, USA
Bone 52:318-25. 2013..Experimental studies have shown that deferoxamine (DFO), an iron-chelating agent, bolsters vascularity and subsequently enhances normal fracture healing when ..
- Effects of N-acetylcysteine/deferoxamine, taurine and RC-3095 on respiratory chain complexes and creatine kinase activities in rat brain after sepsisOmar J Cassol
Programa de Pos Graduacao em Ciencias da Saude, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense, Criciuma, SC, Brazil
Neurochem Res 35:515-21. 2010..in the brain of rats after cecal ligation and perforation (CLP) and that a combination of N-acetylcysteine/deferoxamine (NAC/DFX), taurine and RC-3095 were shown to be an effective treatment of sepsis, we investigated whether the ..
- Deferoxamine expedites consolidation during mandibular distraction osteogenesisAlexis Donneys
Craniofacial Research Laboratory, Plastic Surgery Section, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Bone 55:384-90. 2013..b>Deferoxamine (DFO) is an angiogenic activator that triggers the HIF-1α pathway through localized iron depletion...
- Deferoxamine inhibits iron induced hippocampal tau phosphorylation in the Alzheimer transgenic mouse brainChuang Guo
College of Life and Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Shenyang 110004, PR China
Neurochem Int 62:165-72. 2013..More importantly, elucidation of DFO mechanism in suppressing tau phosphorylation may provide insights for developing therapeutic strategies to combat AD...
- Deferoxamine preconditioning potentiates mesenchymal stem cell homing in vitro and in streptozotocin-diabetic ratsR Najafi
Tehran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Razi Drug Research Center, Department of Pharmacology, Tehran, Iran
Expert Opin Biol Ther 13:959-72. 2013..There is evidences showing that deferoxamine (DFO), an iron chelator, increases the mobilization and homing of progenitor cells through increasing the ..
- Socio-psychological impact of infused iron chelation therapy with deferoxamine in metropolitan France: ISOSFER study resultsIsabelle Thuret
CHU Timone, Marseille, France
Hematology 14:315-22. 2009b>Deferoxamine (DFO) is an iron chelator used to treat iron overload in patients receiving chronic blood transfusions, and is usually administered as overnight subcutaneous infusions...
- Combined chelation therapy in thalassemia major for the treatment of severe myocardial siderosis with left ventricular dysfunctionMark A Tanner
Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Unit, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, UK
J Cardiovasc Magn Reson 10:12. 2008In thalassemia major (TM), severe cardiac siderosis can be treated by continuous parenteral deferoxamine, but poor compliance, complications and deaths occur...
- Safety and tolerability of deferoxamine mesylate in patients with acute intracerebral hemorrhageMagdy Selim
Department of Neurology, Stroke Division, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Stroke Division, 330 Brookline Avenue Palmer 127, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Stroke 42:3067-74. 2011Treatment with the iron chelator, deferoxamine mesylate (DFO), improves neurological recovery in animal models of intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH)...
- A massive intraventricular thrombosis by disseminated mucormycosis in a patient with myelodysplastic syndrome during deferoxamine therapyNaoshi Kubota
First Department of Internal Medicine, Second Department of Pathology, Tokyo Medical University
Haematologica 88:EIM13. 2003
- Reduction of body iron stores to normal range levels in thalassaemia by using a deferiprone/deferoxamine combination and their maintenance thereafter by deferiprone monotherapyAnnita Kolnagou
Postgraduate Research Institute of Science, Technology, Environment and Medicine, Limassol, Cyprus
Eur J Haematol 85:430-8. 2010..New chelating drug protocols are necessary to treat completely transfusional iron overload and eliminate associated toxicity. Appropriate deferiprone/deferoxamine combinations could achieve this goal.
- Deferoxamine promotes survival and prevents electrocardiographic abnormalities in the gerbil model of iron-overload cardiomyopathyCarlos A Obejero-Paz
Rammelkamp Center for Education and Research, MetroHealth Campus, Cleveland, OH 44109, USA
J Lab Clin Med 141:121-30. 2003..ECG) changes in the Mongolian gerbil model of iron overload and the effects of the iron chelator deferoxamine (DFO) on these changes...
- Barriers to adherence of deferoxamine usage in sickle cell diseaseMarsha J Treadwell
Children s Hospital and Research Center at Oakland, Oakland, California 94609, USA
Pediatr Blood Cancer 44:500-7. 2005We hypothesized that child cognitive disability would be a significant risk factor for non-adherence with home deferoxamine (DFO) administration and that a factor that would contribute to improved adherence would be sharing of ..
- Deferoxamine reduces and nitric oxide synthase inhibition increases neutrophil-mediated myotube injuryThomas J McLoughlin
Skeletal Muscle Physiology Laboratory, The University of Toledo, Toledo, OH 43606, USA
Cell Tissue Res 313:313-9. 2003..A significant protective effect was provided by including catalase (600-2400 U/ml), deferoxamine (1-2 mM), or anti-CD18 antibody (10 microg/ml) in the culture medium...
- Iron chelation adherence to deferoxamine and deferasirox in thalassemiaFelicia Trachtenberg
New England Research Institutes, 9 Galen Street, Watertown, MA 02472, USA
Am J Hematol 86:433-6. 2011The Thalassemia Clinical Research Network collected adherence information from 79 patients on deferoxamine and 186 on deferasirox from 2007 to 2009...
- Effects of deferoxamine on brain injury after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats with hyperglycemiaYingqi Xing
Department of Neurosurgery, University of Michigan, 109 Zina Pitcher Place, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2200, USA
Brain Res 1291:113-21. 2009..This study examined the role of deferoxamine (DFX) in brain injury and HT in a rat model of transient focal ischemia with hyperglycemia...
- Effects of deferoxamine on blood-brain barrier disruption and VEGF in focal cerebral ischemiaOak Z Chi
Department of Anesthesia, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, 125 Paterson Street, Suite 3100, New Brunswick, NJ 08901 1977, USA
Neurol Res 30:288-93. 2008b>Deferoxamine, an iron chelator, is reported to induce hypoxia-inducible factor 1 (HIF-1) that leads to transcriptional activation of numerous genes including vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) that is known to increase blood-brain ..
- Comparative study of the protective effect between deferoxamine and deferiprone on chronic iron overload induced cardiotoxicity in ratsA M Emara
Department of Forensic Medicine and Clinical Toxicology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt
Hum Exp Toxicol 25:375-85. 2006..Although the beneficial effects of deferoxamine (DFO) on iron-associated mortality are well documented, the role of deferiprone in the management of ..
- Desferrioxamine related maculopathy: a case reportAnita Arora
The Western Eye Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Am J Hematol 76:386-8. 2004..To avoid such complications an ophthalmic screening has been suggested for patients taking desferrioxamine. We report an 81-year-old patient who developed irreversible ocular toxicity despite undergoing ophthalmic screening...
- Combined chelation therapy in thalassemia major with deferiprone and desferrioxamine: a retrospective studyPaolo Ricchi
Dipartimento di Oncoematologia, UOC Centro delle Microcitemie A Mastrobuoni, AORN A Cardarelli, Naples, Italy
Eur J Haematol 85:36-42. 2010..We retrospectively evaluated the efficacy of different schedules of combined chelation therapy and the incidence of adverse events...
- Deferoxamine pretreatment prevents Cr(VI)-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidant stress: role of Cr(VI) chelationEduardo Molina-Jijón
Faculty of Chemistry, Department of Biology, National Autonomous University of Mexico UNAM, University City, 04510, D F, Mexico
Toxicology 291:93-101. 2012b>Deferoxamine (DFO) is a recognized iron chelator which has been shown to exert nephroprotection in models of toxic nephropathies...
- Effects of N-acetylcysteine, deferoxamine and selenium on doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicityFatih Bulucu
Department of Internal Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey
Biol Trace Elem Res 132:184-96. 2009..by doxorubucin (DOX) and to compare the possible protective effects of N-acetylcysteine (NAC) (n=10), deferoxamine (DOF) (n=10), DOF+NAC (n= 10) and selenium (n=9) on doxorubicin-induced hepatotoxicity...
- Survival and complications in patients with thalassemia major treated with transfusion and deferoxamineCaterina Borgna-Pignatti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Ferrara
Haematologica 89:1187-93. 2004..The interactions between gender, birth cohort, complications, and ferritin on survival and complications were analyzed...
- Deferoxamine attenuates lipid peroxidation, blocks interleukin-6 production, ameliorates sepsis inflammatory response syndrome, and confers renoprotection after acute hepatic ischemia in pigsDemetrios Vlahakos
Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Haidari, Athens, Greece
Artif Organs 36:400-8. 2012We have previously shown that deferoxamine (DFO) infusion protected myocardium against reperfusion injury in patients undergoing open heart surgery, and reduced brain edema, intracranial pressure, and lung injury in pigs with acute ..
- Treatment with deferoxamine increases neurons from neural stem/progenitor cellsHye Jung Kim
Department of Neurophysiology and Brain Science, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
Brain Res 1092:1-15. 2006..Treatment of NPCs with deferoxamine, a G1/S phase blocker, increased the number of beta-tubulin III-positive cells after differentiation, ..
- Safety and efficacy of combined chelation therapy with deferasirox and deferoxamine in a gerbil model of iron overloadMaya Otto-Duessel
Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Cardiology, Children s Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, Calif 90027, USA
Acta Haematol 120:123-8. 2008Combined therapy with deferoxamine (DFO) and deferasirox (DFX) may be performed empirically when DFX monotherapy fails...
- Tandem mass spectrometry of coprogen and deferoxamine hydroxamic siderophoresAna V C Simionato
Laboratório de Cromatografia, Instituto de Quimica de Sao Carlos, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Av Trabalhador Saocarlense, 400 São Carlos, SP 13566 590, Brasil
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 20:193-9. 2006..Standard siderophores (e.g. deferoxamine and coprogen) were directly injected into both ion trap and linear quadrupole mass spectrometers with ..
- A randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trial of the effect of combined therapy with deferoxamine and deferiprone on myocardial iron in thalassemia major using cardiovascular magnetic resonanceM A Tanner
Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Unit, Royal Brompton Hospital, Sydney St, London SW3 6NP, UK
Circulation 115:1876-84. 2007..Approximately two thirds of patients maintained on the parenteral iron chelator deferoxamine have myocardial iron loading...
- Protective effects of deferoxamine mesylate preconditioning on pancreatic tissue in orthotopic liver autotransplantation in ratsY Li
Institute of General Surgical Research, Second Affiliate Hospital, Yangzhou University No 2 Clinical Medical College, Yangzhou, China
Transplant Proc 43:1450-5. 2011b>Deferoxamine mesylate is known to ameliorate tissue ischemia-reperfusion injury...
- Cardiac morbidity and mortality in deferoxamine- or deferiprone-treated patients with thalassemia majorCaterina Borgna-Pignatti
Clinica Pediatrica Università di Ferrara, Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Via Fossato di Mortara 17 19, 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Blood 107:3733-7. 2006b>Deferoxamine (DFO) therapy has been associated with improved survival of thalassemia patients. However, cardiac disease remains the main cause of death in those patients...
- Effective combination therapy of deferiprone and deferoxamine for the rapid clearance of excess cardiac IRON and the prevention of heart disease in thalassemia. The Protocol of the International Committee on Oral ChelatorsAnnita Kolnagou
Postgraduate Research Institute of Science, Technology, Environment and Medicine, Limassol, Cyprus
Hemoglobin 30:239-49. 2006..therapy protocol involving the administration of deferiprone (L1) during the day (80-110 mg/kg/day) and deferoxamine (DFO) (40-60 mg/kg at least 3 days/week) during the night for 8-12 hours using a pump, or the whole 24 hours ..
- Exposure of rat thymocytes to hydrogen peroxide increases annexin V binding to membranes: inhibitory actions of deferoxamine and quercetinY Oyama
Laboratory of Cellular Signaling, Faculty of Integrated Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokushima, Minami Jyosanjima 1 1, Tokushima, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 384:47-52. 1999..Therefore, it is likely that Ca(2+) is involved in the H(2)O(2)-induced cytotoxicity. Deferoxamine was effective to protect the cells suffering from H(2)O(2)-induced oxidative stress, suggesting a contribution ..
- Feasible identification of Staphylococcus epidermidis using desferrioxamine and fosfomycin disksAna Lúcia Souza Antunes
Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre, Port Alegre, Brasil
APMIS 116:16-20. 2008..In conclusion, the method proposed here has proved to be useful for the identification of S. epidermidis, the most frequent species of CoNS isolated from blood cultures in clinical microbiology laboratories...
- Comparison between deferoxamine and deferiprone (L1) in iron-loaded thalassemia patientsA Taher
The Chronic Care Centre, The American University of Beirut Medical Centre, Beirut, Lebanon
Eur J Haematol 67:30-4. 2001Iron-chelating therapy with deferoxamine in patients with thalassemia major has dramatically improved the prognosis of this disease...
- Role of SLc11a1 Gen in Warm Ischemia-Reperfusion InjurySamuel Wyllie; Fiscal Year: 2006..If disruption Slc11a1 protects the liver from I/R injury by modulating mediation of iron homeostasis, then deferoxamine pretreatment of Slc11a1+/+ mice before I/R injury should protect the liver from I/R mediated injury, as ..
- Prevention of Complications in ThalassemiaElliott P Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2011..Examples of current research hypotheses under investigation include: 1) Deferoxamine (DFO) and deferiprone (L1) combination therapy improves left ventricular function more rapidly than DFO/placebo ..
- Enhanced iron removal with peptide linked chelators targeted to ferritinElizabeth C Theil; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Current iron chelation therapy such as deferoxamine (DFO) relies on chelators inspired by bacterial siderophores intended to retrieve biologically available iron...
- Prevention and Treatment of Chlorine Gas Induced Injury to the Pulmonary SystemSadis Matalon; Fiscal Year: 2011..Thus, systemic administration of reactive species scavengers (such as ascorbate, N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), and deferoxamine, as well as agents that augment surfactant levels, ion transport and paracellular resistance (such as albuterol ..
- Transdermal Delivery of Deferoxamine to Prevent and Treat Diabetic WoundsGeoffrey C Gurtner; Fiscal Year: 2011..We have previously demonstrated that systemic delivery of the small molecule deferoxamine (DFO) is suficient to stabilize HIF-11 in diabetic models, resulting in improved wound healing and decreased ..
- Mechanisms of Brain Injury after Intraventricular HemorrhageGuohua Xi; Fiscal Year: 2013..areas following IVH;4) Intraventricular injection of iron alone can also result in acute hydrocephalus;5) Deferoxamine, an iron chelator, reduces IVH-induced hydrocephalus and hippocampal tissue loss...
- Intranasal deferoxamine to treat stroke in young and older, male and female ratsSAMUEL SCOTT PANTER; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of the proposed study is to determine whether deferoxamine (DFO), administered via the intranasal (IN) route following stroke, provides neuroprotection against long-lasting functional ..
- Mechanisms of early brain injury after subarachnoid hemmorrhageGuohua Xi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our recent studies have demonstrated: 1) Brain iron overload occurs in a rat model of SAH;2) Deferoxamine, an iron chelator, reduces SAH-induced iron overload, oxidative stress and mortality;3) The complement cascade ..
- Hepcidin Replacement Therapy for Iron Overload DisordersJames W Larrick; Fiscal Year: 2013..in an otherwise-healthy person consists of regularly scheduled phlebotomies or iron-chelating agents like deferoxamine. Most types of iron overload are associated with low levels of hepcidin, a peptide that regulates iron ..
- Stroke with Transfusions Changing to HydroxyureaRussell E Ware; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Deferoxamine (Desferal(r)) chelation therapy is difficult to tolerate and leads to non-compliance an alternative to ..
- Iron Uptake and Mucormycosis PathogenesisAshraf S Ibrahim; Fiscal Year: 2013..Patients with elevated levels of available serum iron such as those with DKA or who have received deferoxamine are uniquely susceptible to mucormycosis, but not other fungal infections...
- Combined Therapy for Intracerebral Hemorrhage TreatmentKenneth R Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this regard, recent findings demonstrate the effectiveness of iron chelation with deferoxamine in improving outcome following ICH...
- Stroke with Transfusions Changing to Hydroxyurea (SWITCH) Trial Data CoordinatingRonald W Helms; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Deferoxamine chelation therapy is difficult to tolerate...
- Futility Study of Deferoxamine Mesylate in Intracerebral Hemorrhage (Hi-DEF)Magdy H Selim; Fiscal Year: 2013..secondary neuronal injury after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH);and that treatment with the iron chelator, deferoxamine (DFO), provides neuroprotection in animal models of ICH...
- Optimization of the angiogenic potential of multipotent adult progenitor cellsRobert Deans; Fiscal Year: 2010..we propose to investigate increasing the angiogenic benefit of MultiStem by the use of a small molecule, DFO (Deferoxamine Mesylate)...
- Twice-Weekly Subcutaneous Liposome Chelator to Treat Transfusional Iron OverloadMARK EAMON HAYES; Fiscal Year: 2013..The formulation will be easier and safer to administer than Desferal(R). If LDFO is validated, it would be a significant advance for the clinical treatment of transfusional iron overload in pediatric patients. ..
- Deferoxamine therapy for intracerebral hemorrhageGuohua Xi; Fiscal Year: 2010..In particular, we found that systemic administration of the iron chelator deferoxamine can reduce ICH-induced brain injury in adult male rats...
- Cardiac Function and Cardiac iron (T2*) in ThalassemiaJohn Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..While daily iron chelation therapy with subcutaneous deferoxamine ameliorates much of the iron toxicity, deadly iron cardiomyopathy still remains the norm, usually in the 3 rd ..
- CORNEAL-EPITHELIAL NUCLEAR FERRITIN AND U.V. PROTECTIONTHOMAS FRANK LINSENMAYER; Fiscal Year: 2013..also allows the manipulation of synthesis of ferritin and ferritoid in CE cells by using the iron chelator deferoxamine - which reversibly blocks the synthesis of both components...
- PATHOGENESIS OF MINERAL DUST TOXICITYAgnes Kane; Fiscal Year: 1991..Asbestos toxicity in vitro or in vivo is prevented by free radical scavenging enzymes or the iron chelator, deferoxamine. It is hypothesized that oxidant-induced stress directly or indirectly disrupts intracellular calcium ..
- MECHANISMS OF MYOCARDIAL REPERFUSION INJURYMERVYN FORMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..to determine whether restoration of scavenging enzymes will reduce reperfusion injury, and the iron chelator Deferoxamine to clarify whether iron is an essential contributor to lipid peroxidation in vivo...
- CULTURED CARDIAC MYOCYTES--A MODEL OF IRON OVERLOADChaim Hershko; Fiscal Year: 1991..contractility and electrophysiologic behaviour and increased peroxidation of membrane lipids, reversible by deferoxamine treatment...
- A Novel Antibody Therapeutic for Multiple MyelomaKoteswara Chintalacharuvu; Fiscal Year: 2009..to evaluate the additive/synergistic effect of the combination of anti-hTfR IgA and the iron-chelating agent deferoxamine (DFO) in model multiple myeloma cell lines...
- METHODS FOR PCR SAMPLE PREPARATION--HEME NEUTRALIZATIONLily Lin; Fiscal Year: 1991..b>Deferoxamine will also be attempted, however, this is another agent known not to bind to heme iron or to remove iron from ..
- INHIBITION OF INTESTINAL HEME IRON ABSORPTIONJERRY BOMMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..for iron overload syndromes include phlebotomy (in non-anemic cases) and subcutaneous continuous infusions of deferoxamine. The latter treatment would be rendered more effective or unnecessary if intestinal iron absorption could be ..
- Zinc Metabolism in Plasmodium FalciparumOluwatosin Gisanrin; Fiscal Year: 2005..Many metal chelators for example deferoxamine, an intravenous clinical iron chelator, also kill the parasite...
- Thalassemia Clinical Research Network, CanadaNancy Olivieri; Fiscal Year: 2009..Two trials are proposed. First, a randomized, controlled trial to examine the effect of deferoxamine alone v. deferoxamine plus deferiprone, on cardiac disease due to transfusional iron overload...
- THALASSEMIA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKJanet Kwiatkowski; Fiscal Year: 2009..Two trials are proposed. First, a randomized, controlled trial to examine the effect of deferoxamine alone v. deferoxamine plus deferiprone, on cardiac disease due to transfusional iron overload...
- FERRIC ION SEQUESTERING AGENTS--IRON REMOVALKenneth Raymond; Fiscal Year: 1999..Preliminary toxicity studies will be carried out in collaboration with Dr. P. Durbin. Screening for iron removal will be carried out for the most promising compounds in collaboration with Dr. R. Bergeron. ..
- HYPEROXIA, DRUG ANTIOXIDANTS & LUNG MACROPHAGE INTEGRITYMichael Sherman; Fiscal Year: 1990..oxidant injury by decreasing hydrogen peroxide production via the cytochrome P-450 oxygenase system, and 2) deferoxamine blocks hydroxyl and perferryl radical production in metal-catalyzed reactions, thereby reducing oxidant injury ..
- MODELING OF MIXED LIGAND THERAPY FOR IRON OVERLOADRobert Hider; Fiscal Year: 2002..With the most widely evaluated drugs, deferoxamine and deferiprone, only 10% and 4% respectively of the drugs are excreted in the iron bound form when given to ..
- Hypoxia Signaling, Chromatin Remodeling and Nickel CarcinogenesisMax Costa; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will study the ability of hypoxia and agents that activate hypoxia signaling (NiCI2, CoCI2, deferoxamine, and DMOG) to induce cell transformation in wild-type or in HIF-1alpha knockout mouse embryo fibroblast (MEF)...
- MECHANISMS AND PREVENTION OF HEMOGLOBIN NEUROTOXICITYSAMUEL PANTER; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, animals will be pretreated with an antioxidant (polynitroxyl-albumin), an iron chelator (a starch deferoxamine conjugate), the normal hemoglobin-binding protein haptoglobin, or a subfraction of pentastarch that has been ..
- NEUROPROTECTIVE GENE INDUCTION BY ANTIOXIDANT IRON CHELARajiv Ratan; Fiscal Year: 2002..In preliminary studies, we have found that structurally distinct iron chelators, deferoxamine mesylate, and mimosine prevent apoptosis induced by glutathione-depletion and oxidative stress in embryonic ..
- THALASSEMIA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKPatricia Giardina; Fiscal Year: 2009..Two trials are proposed. First, a randomized, controlled trial to examine the effect of deferoxamine alone v. deferoxamine plus deferriprone, on cardiac disease due to transfusional iron overload...
- THERAPEUTIC MULTIDENTATE IRON SEQUESTERING AGENTSKenneth Raymond; Fiscal Year: 2007..Several new ligand types are proposed with specific hypotheses about structural function relationships. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SIDEROPHORES, ANALOGS AND BIOCONJUGATESMarvin Miller; Fiscal Year: 1999..5) Perform detailed biological studies to determine the mode of action of antimicrobial siderphore analogs and conjugates to conform the feasibility of siderphore-mediated drug delivery and facilitate long term SAR studies. ..
- Intranasal Deferoxamine to Precondition Against StrokeSAMUEL PANTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..The drug we have chosen to use-deferoxamine (DFO)-has been demonstrated to precondition in a number of experimental systems, from cell culture to neonatal ..
- Tumor Induced Dysregulation of T Cell ImmunityJames H Finke; Fiscal Year: 2010..The observation that the anti-oxidant deferoxamine (DFO) can block ganglioside-mediated apoptosis of T cells will be studied further to define how DFO protects T ..
- SELECTIVE ORAL CHELATORS FOR IRON OVERLOAD DISEASESUrszula Slomczynska; Fiscal Year: 2000..At present the drug of choice is deferoxamine, which must be administered by injection, has a short half-life, and is known to have toxic side effects...
- MACROMOLECULAR CONTRAST AGENTS FOR MAGNETIC RESONANCEBo Hedlund; Fiscal Year: 1991BIOMEDICAL FRONTIERS (BMF) has establishes that the iron chelator, deferoxamine, can be covalently bound to polymers and has demonstrated, in preclinical studies, that these conjugates can be used therapeutically as antioxidants...
- IRON CLEARANCE BY TRANSFERRIN HALF-MOLECULESRICHARD JENNY; Fiscal Year: 1991..The relative efficiencies of iron removal from these cells by (a) deferoxamine, (b) holoapotransferrins and (c) apotransferrin half-molecules separately and in combination, will be compared...
- Metal Ion is Critical in amyloid beta Induced JNK ActivationXiongwei Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2009..we demonstrated that AB toxicity is significantly attenuated when AB is pretreated with the iron chelator deferoxamine, suggesting that iron augments AB toxicity...
- CARDIOPROTECTIVE EFFECT--NEW CHELATORS FOR THALASSEMIAChaim Hershko; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Eighth Cooley's Anemia SymposiumElliott Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Modulation of Iron Deposition in SCD and Other HemoglobinopathiesELLIOTT P contact VICHINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- E/BETA THALASSEMIA--NATURAL HISTORY & RESPONSE TO CHEMOElliott Vichinsky; Fiscal Year: 2002..In summary, if this study is successful, it will change the approach to Hb E/B worldwide and result in improved quality of life and decreased mortality. (End of Abstract) ..
- ERYTHROCYTAPHERESIS TO LOWER IRON LOADING IN THALASSEMIAAlan Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Iron chelation therapy with deferoxamine removes excessive iron, but the need for parenteral administration of the chelator, drug-related side effects ..
- Treatment of Fungal Infections with ATAK CellsAshraf Ibrahim; Fiscal Year: 2004..Furthermore, the genetic construct targeting ATAK cells to Candida can easily be adapted to any other pathogen against which a MAb has been raised. ..
- Novel Antifungal Strategies for Lethal MucormycosisAshraf Ibrahim; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- L-GLUTAMINE THERAPY FOR SICKLE CELL ANEMIAYutaka Niihara; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abstract Not Provided ..
- PROTECTIVE ROLE OF APOPTOSIS IN ASBESTOS PLEURAL INJURYV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies should provide important information about the mechanisms by which asbestos induces apoptosis in mesothelial cells and the role of asbestos-induced apoptosis in asbestos-induced pathology. ..
- Amplification of TRIAL-Indcued Apoptosis in MesotheliomaV Broaddus; Fiscal Year: 2006..the mechanisms of amplification of TRAIL-induced apoptosis can provide insight into the means by which malignant cells evade apoptosis and ways to bypass those sites of resistance and thereby improve treatment strategies ..
- Safety and Tolerability of Deferoxamine in Acute Cerebral HemorrhageMagdy H Selim; Fiscal Year: 2010..injury and brain edema after intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH);and that treatment with iron chelators, such as deferoxamine (DFO), provides neuroprotection...
- METVAN: A Novel Anticancer AgentOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..The knowledge gained from these studies described under Specific Aims 1-2 is expected to facilitate the design of innovative treatment regimens employing METVAN for metastatic breast cancer and brain tumor patients. ..
- Phase II SBIR: WHI-07: A Novel Dual-Function MicrobicideOSMOND D CRUZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- VACCINE EFFICACY IN CHILDREN WITH SICKLE CELL DISEASEThomas Adamkiewicz; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..