Genomes and Genes
Summary: A selective, irreversible inhibitor of Type B monoamine oxidase. It is used in newly diagnosed patients with Parkinson's disease. It may slow progression of the clinical disease and delay the requirement for levodopa therapy. It also may be given with levodopa upon onset of disability. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p385) The compound without isomeric designation is Deprenyl.
Publications226 found, 100 shown here
- Neuroprotective actions of selegilineM Ebadi
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, North Dakota 58203, USA
J Neurosci Res 67:285-9. 2002b>Selegiline, a selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase-B (MAO-B), was one of the first adjunct therapies in clinical neurology...
- Activated MAO-B in the brain of Alzheimer patients, demonstrated by [11C]-L-deprenyl using whole hemisphere autoradiographyBalazs Gulyas
Karolinska Institutet, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Stockholm, Sweden
Neurochem Int 58:60-8. 2011..In the present study [(11)C]-L-deprenyl, the PET radioligand version of L-deprenyl or selegiline®, a selective irreversible MAO-B inhibitor was used in whole hemisphere autoradiographic experiments in human ..
- Evidence for astrocytosis in prodromal Alzheimer disease provided by 11C-deuterium-L-deprenyl: a multitracer PET paradigm combining 11C-Pittsburgh compound B and 18F-FDGStephen F Carter
Department of Neurobiology, Care Sciences and Society, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
J Nucl Med 53:37-46. 2012..Along with (11)C-DED PET, (11)C-Pittsburgh compound B ((11)C-PIB; fibrillar Aβ deposition), (18)F-FDG (glucose metabolism), T1 MRI, cerebrospinal fluid, and neuropsychologic data were acquired from the patients...
- Freezing of gait in PD: prospective assessment in the DATATOP cohortN Giladi
Movement Disorders Division, Department of Neurology, Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Neurology 56:1712-21. 2001..Deprenyl, in the absence of L-dopa, was found to be an effective prophylactic treatment and should be considered for patients with PD who have an onset of gait difficulty...
- Cardiovascular activity of rasagiline, a selective and potent inhibitor of mitochondrial monoamine oxidase B: comparison with selegilineZaid A Abassi
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Technion Rappaport Faculty of Medicine and Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Br J Pharmacol 143:371-8. 2004b>Selegiline is used for treating Parkinson's disease...
- Neuroprotection by pharmacologic blockade of the GAPDH death cascadeMakoto R Hara
Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:3887-9. 2006..In mice treated with the dopamine neuronal toxin 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP), low doses of deprenyl prevent binding of GAPDH and Siah1 in the dopamine-enriched corpus striatum...
- Marked effect of liver and kidney function on the pharmacokinetics of selegilineMarkku Anttila
Orion Pharma, R and D, Turku, Finland
Clin Pharmacol Ther 77:54-62. 2005The pharmacokinetics of selegiline was investigated in an open study with 4 parallel groups of 10 subjects in each...
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the safety and efficacy of selegiline transdermal system without dietary restrictions in patients with major depressive disorderJay D Amsterdam
Depression Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 64:208-14. 2003The monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor selegiline has demonstrated antidepressant efficacy superior to placebo...
- Antioxidant effects of selegiline in oxidative stress induced by iron neonatal treatment in ratsPatricia Budni
Laboratório de Fisiopatologia Experimental, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense, Criciuma, Brazil
Neurochem Res 32:965-72. 2007..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the possible protective effect of selegiline, a monoamino-oxidase B (MAO-B) inhibitor used in pharmacotherapy of Parkinson's disease, against iron-induced ..
- Repeated central administration of selegiline attenuated morphine physical dependence in ratAlireza Parvizpour
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Pharmacol Rep 65:593-9. 2013..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of systemic and intracerebroventricular (icv) administration of selegiline (a selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase B) on the morphine withdrawal syndrome in rats.
- Selegiline in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease: a long-term randomized placebo-controlled trial. Czech and Slovak Senile Dementia of Alzheimer Type Study GroupV Filip
Department of Psychiatry, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
J Psychiatry Neurosci 24:234-43. 1999To evaluate the efficacy and adverse effects of the type B monoamine oxidase inhibitor selegiline (also known as I-deprenyl) in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
- Selegiline transdermal system for the treatment of major depressive disorder: an 8-week, double-blind, placebo-controlled, flexible-dose titration trialAlan D Feiger
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 67:1354-61. 2006This study investigated the efficacy, safety, and tolerability of the selegiline transdermal system (STS) administered in a dose range of 6 mg/24 hours to 12 mg/24 hours for treating major depressive disorder (MDD).
- Synergistic effects of selegiline and donepezil on cognitive impairment induced by amyloid beta (25-35)Hiroko Tsunekawa
Department of Neuropsychopharmacology and Hospital Pharmacy, Nagoya University Graduate School of Medicine, 65 Tsuruma cho, Showa Ku, Nagoya, Aichi 466 8560, Japan
Behav Brain Res 190:224-32. 2008b>Selegiline, an irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase B used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease, has been demonstrated to have a potential cognition-improving effect in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD) undergoing treatment ..
- Survival in Parkinson disease: thirteen-year follow-up of the DATATOP cohortC Marras
Division of Neurology, Toronto Western Hospital, University Health Network, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5T 2S8
Neurology 64:87-93. 2005..To investigate predictors of survival in Parkinson disease (PD)...
- Early addition of selegiline to L-Dopa treatment is beneficial for patients with Parkinson diseaseYoshikuni Mizuno
Juntendo University Koshigaya Hospital, Saitama, Japan
Clin Neuropharmacol 33:1-4. 2010To evaluate the clinical outcome of Parkinson disease (PD) patients treated with selegiline (with L-Dopa/decarboxylase inhibitor) in the early stage of the disease in comparison with that of late-stage use of selegiline.
- Selegiline transdermal system (STS) for HIV-associated cognitive impairment: open-label report of ACTG 5090Scott R Evans
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
HIV Clin Trials 8:437-46. 2007To assess the long-term safety (primary aim) and efficacy (secondary aim) of the MAO-B inhibitor Selegiline Transdermal System (STS) for the treatment of HIV-associated cognitive impairment.
- Revelation in the neuroprotective functions of rasagiline and selegiline: the induction of distinct genes by different mechanismsMakoto Naoi
Department of Health and Nutrition, Faculty of Psychological and Physical Science, Aichi Gakuin University, Nisshin, Aichi, Japan
Expert Rev Neurother 13:671-84. 2013..In cellular and animal models, selegiline [(-)deprenyl] and rasagiline, inhibitors of type B monoamine oxidase (MAO)-B, protect neuronal cells from ..
- Predictors of relapse in patients with major depressive disorder in a 52-week, fixed dose, double blind, randomized trial of selegiline transdermal system (STS)Saeheon Jang
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, United States Bongseng Memorial Hospital, Republic of Korea
J Affect Disord 151:854-9. 2013We investigated patient and disease characteristics predictive of relapse of MDD during a 52-week placebo controlled trial of selegiline transdermal system (STS) to identify patient characteristics relevant for STS treatment.
- Effects of high-dose selegiline on morphine reinforcement and precipitated withdrawal in dependent ratsK Grasing
Substance Abuse Research Laboratory, Kansas City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4801 Linwood Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64128, USA
Behav Pharmacol 16:1-13. 2005b>Selegiline is an irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase (MAO) with psychostimulant and neuroprotective effects...
- Selegiline: a reappraisal of its role in Parkinson diseaseGiovanni Fabbrini
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry and IRCSS Neuromed Institute, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Clin Neuropharmacol 35:134-40. 2012b>Selegiline at the doses used in Parkinson disease is a selective irreversible monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor, which potentiates dopaminergic function in the brain, and is used as monotherapy in early Parkinson disease or in ..
- Transdermal selegiline in major depression: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study in outpatientsJ Alexander Bodkin
McLean Hospital, 115 Mill St Belmont, MA 02478, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1869-75. 2002The authors investigated the efficacy and safety of transdermal selegiline in adult outpatients with major depressive disorder.
- Selegiline enhances erectile activity induced by dopamine injection in the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus in anesthetized ratsJ Allard
Pelvipharm Laboratories, Domaine INRA, Bures sur Yvette, France
Int J Impot Res 14:518-22. 2002..We assessed whether the selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase B, selegiline, could enhance the erectile activity induced by dopamine delivery in the PVN...
- Selegiline attenuates cardiac oxidative stress and apoptosis in heart failure: association with improvement of cardiac functionFuzhong Qin
Cardiology Unit, Department of Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, 601 Elmwood Avenue, Box 679, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 461:149-58. 2003We have shown recently that selegiline exerts a cardiac neuroprotective effect in chronic heart failure...
- Selegiline use is associated with a slower progression in early Parkinson's disease as evaluated by Hoehn and Yahr Stage transition timesY J Zhao
Department of Pharmacy, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 17:194-7. 2011This study was carried out to evaluate the association between selegiline use and Parkinson's disease (PD) progression in a clinical sample by evaluating modified Hoehn and Yahr Stage (H&Y) stage transition times...
- Selegiline in the treatment of Parkinson's disease: its impact on orthostatic hypotensionK F Bhattacharya
Department of Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 9:221-4. 2003Less than a consensus exists as to whether chronic treatment with selegiline in combination with levodopa/carbidopa in patients with Parkinson's disease, is associated with more pronounced orthostatic hypotension than treatment with ..
- Selegiline modifies the extinction of responding following morphine self-administration, but does not alter cue-induced reinstatement, reacquisition of morphine reinforcement, or precipitated withdrawalKenneth Grasing
Substance Abuse Research Laboratory, Kansas City Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 4801 Linwood Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64128, USA
Pharmacol Res 51:69-78. 2005b>Selegiline is an irreversible inhibitor of monoamine oxidase (MAO) with psychostimulant and neuroprotective effects which can prevent decreases in dopamine efflux that follow opiate withdrawal...
- A hypertensive reaction induced by concurrent use of selegiline and dopamineL M Rose
Department of Pharmacy, Fairview Hospital, Cleveland, OH 44111, USA
Ann Pharmacother 34:1020-4. 2000To describe a hypertensive reaction induced by concurrent use of selegiline and dopamine.
- Cardiopulmonary effects of medetomidine, oxymorphone, or butorphanol in selegiline-treated dogsJohn R Dodam
Department of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri, 379 East Campus Drive, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Vet Anaesth Analg 31:129-37. 2004To determine if chronic selegiline HCl administration affects the cardiopulmonary response to medetomidine, oxymorphone, or butorphanol in dogs.
- Selegiline treatment after transient global ischemia in gerbils enhances the survival of CA1 pyramidal cells in the hippocampusH Lahtinen
A I Virtanen Institute, University of Kuopio, Finland
Brain Res 757:260-7. 1997b>Selegiline (L-deprenyl) has shown neuroprotective effects in a variety of degenerative processes...
- Inhibition of bupropion metabolism by selegiline: mechanism-based inactivation of human CYP2B6 and characterization of glutathione and peptide adductsChitra Sridar
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 40:2256-66. 2012b>Selegiline, the R-enantiomer of deprenyl, is used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. Bupropion, an antidepressant, often used to treat patients in conjunction with selegiline, is metabolized primarily by CYP2B6...
- Selegiline treatment facilitates recovery after strokeJ Sivenius
Department of Neuroscience and Neurology, University of Kuopio, Finland
Neurorehabil Neural Repair 15:183-90. 2001b>Selegiline (L-deprenyl) is a selective monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) inhibitor used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease. In addition, it is thought to rescue neurons with a loss of target-derived trophic support...
- Selegiline is an efficient and potent inducer for bone marrow stromal cell differentiation into neuronal phenotypeMohammad Taghi Ghorbanian
Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat, Modares University, Tehran, Iran
Neurol Res 32:185-93. 2010..Many of these chemicals were reported to be of mutagenic, teratogenic or carcinogenic properties. The purpose of this work was to evaluate the neuronal inductivity of selegiline to BMSCs.
- Selegiline in the treatment of sexual dysfunction in schizophrenic patients maintained on neuroleptics: a pilot studyArad Kodesh
Lev Hasharon Mental Health Medical Center, Pardessiya, Israel
Clin Neuropharmacol 26:193-5. 2003..undertaken in 10 neuroleptic-treated male schizophrenic outpatients to assess the effect of coadministration of selegiline 15 mg/day for 3 weeks on their sexual dysfunction...
- Changes in vascular alpha 1- and alpha 2-adrenoceptor responsiveness by selegiline treatmentM Pelat
, INSERM U 317, , , BP 72002, 31073 Toulouse cedex 7, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 15:239-45. 2001Pharmacoepidemiological studies have reported an excess of mortality with selegiline, a MAO B inhibitor used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease...
- Selegiline induces neuronal phenotype and neurotrophins expression in embryonic stem cellsFariba Esmaeili
Department of Anatomical Sciences, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran
Rejuvenation Res 9:475-84. 2006The antiaging effect of selegiline was reported by several investigators; therefore, there is a growing interest in the potential use of stem cell therapy in aging...
- Efficacy of selegiline add on therapy to risperidone in the treatment of the negative symptoms of schizophrenia: a double-blind randomized placebo-controlled studyAfshar Amiri
Psychiatric Research Center, Roozbeh Psychiatric Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Hum Psychopharmacol 23:79-86. 2008It has been reported that selegiline, a Selective Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor B (MAOI-B), at low doses would be helpful for treating negative symptoms in schizophrenia. Nevertheless, the results are contradictory so far...
- Selegiline orally disintegrating tablets in patients with Parkinson disease and "wearing off" symptomsWilliam G Ondo
Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 6550 Fannin, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 30:295-300. 2007b>Selegiline orally disintegrating tablet (ODT; Zelapar) is a selective monoamine oxidase B inhibitor developed as an adjunct to levodopa (LD) for Parkinson disease...
- Levodopa, bromocriptine and selegiline modify cardiovascular responses in Parkinson's diseaseT H Haapaniemi
Department of Neurology, University of Oulu, PL 5000, 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Neurol 247:868-74. 2000..in 60 untreated PD patients randomised to receive either levodopa (n = 20), bromocriptine (n = 20) or selegiline (n = 20) as their initial treatment. The results were compared with those of 28 healthy controls...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of selegiline. An updateI Mahmood
Division of Pharmaceutical Evaluation I, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 33:91-102. 1997b>Selegiline is a selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase-B (MAO-B) at a dose of 10 mg/day and is given to patients with Parkinson's disease as an adjunct to levodopa therapy...
- Transdermal selegilineAshwin A Patkar
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 43:361-77. 2007..Efforts to address these safety issues led to the development of a transdermal formulation of selegiline, called selegiline transdermal system (STS). STS has been approved by the U.S...
- Therapeutic efficacy of selegiline in neurodegenerative disorders and neurological diseasesManuchair Ebadi
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Curr Drug Targets 7:1513-29. 2006b>Selegiline inhibits the activity of monoamine oxidase B, enhances the release of dopamine, blocks the uptake of dopamine, acts as a calmodulin antagonist, and enhances the level of cyclic AMP, which in turn protects dopaminergic neurons...
- Selegiline in comparison with methylphenidate in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder children and adolescents in a double-blind, randomized clinical trialMohammad Reza Mohammadi
Department of Psychiatry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Psychiatry and Clinical Psychology Research Center, Roozbeh Hospital, Tehran, Iran
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 14:418-25. 2004The aim of this study was to examine the selegiline treatment compared to methylphenidate (MPH) in children and adolescents with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
- Selegiline in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children: a double blind and randomized trialShahin Akhondzadeh
Roozbeh Psychiatric Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, South Kargar Avenue, Tehran 13334, Iran
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 27:841-5. 2003..b>Selegiline is a type B monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) that is metabolized to amphetamine and methamphetamine stimulant ..
- The anti-Parkinsonian drug selegiline delays the nucleation phase of α-synuclein aggregation leading to the formation of nontoxic speciesCarolina A Braga
Instituto de Bioquimica Medica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
J Mol Biol 405:254-73. 2011..b>Selegiline (Sel) is a noncompetitive monoamino oxidase B inhibitor that has neuroprotective effects and has been ..
- Selegiline protects against recognition memory impairment induced by neonatal iron treatmentMaria Noemia Martins de Lima
Programa de Pós Graduação em Gerontologia Biomédica, Instituto de Geriatria e Gerontologia, Hospital Sao Lucas, Pontificia Universidade Catolica do Rio Grande do Sul, 90619 900 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Exp Neurol 196:177-83. 2005..The aim of the present study was to determine whether selegiline, a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor known for its neuroprotective properties, could protect rats against ..
- Comparison of neuroprotective and neurorestorative capabilities of rasagiline and selegiline against lactacystin-induced nigrostriatal dopaminergic degenerationWen Zhu
Department of Neurology, The 1st Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat sen University, Guangzhou, China
J Neurochem 105:1970-8. 2008..Rasagiline and selegiline are selective and irreversible monoamine oxidase-B inhibitors that possess significant protective properties on ..
- The pharmacology of selegilineKálmán Magyar
Department of Pharmacodynamics, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
Int Rev Neurobiol 100:65-84. 2011b>Selegiline, the R-optical enantiomer of deprenyl (phenyl-isopropyl-methyl-propargylamine), was almost exclusively used MAO-B inhibitor during the past decades to treat Parkinson's disease...
- Effects of selegiline (L-deprenyl) during smoking and short-term abstinenceElisabeth J Houtsmuller
Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Bayview Medical Center, 5510 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224 6823, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 163:213-20. 2002..Medications that modulate dopamine levels may have beneficial effects on both withdrawal symptom levels and on response to smoking lapses during abstinence...
- Transdermal permeation of selegiline from hydrogel-membrane drug delivery systemsJia You Fang
Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Graduate Institute of Natural Products, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 380:33-9. 2009In the present work, we attempted to design a transdermal system for delivering selegiline using a hydrogel-based drug reservoir and a rate-controlling membrane (Solupor polyethylene membranes)...
- Zydis selegiline reduces off time in Parkinson's disease patients with motor fluctuations: a 3-month, randomized, placebo-controlled studyCheryl H Waters
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
Mov Disord 19:426-32. 2004Zydis selegiline dissolves on contact with saliva and undergoes pregastric absorption. This minimizes first-pass metabolism and provides high plasma concentrations of selegiline...
- Selegiline transdermal system in major depressive disorder: profile reportJames E Frampton
Wolters Kluwer Health Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 21:521-4. 2007
- Selegiline transdermal system in the prevention of relapse of major depressive disorder: a 52-week, double-blind, placebo-substitution, parallel-group clinical trialJay D Amsterdam
Depression Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:579-86. 2006The selegiline transdermal system (STS) is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) with unique pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic properties that was developed to overcome limitations of orally administered MAOIs, particularly dietary ..
- A new low-dose formulation of selegiline: clinical efficacy, patient preference and selectivity for MAO-B inhibitionA Clarke
Scherer DDS, Swindon, United Kingdom
J Neural Transm 110:1257-71. 2003Three studies were performed using a fast dissolving formulation of selegiline hydrochloride designed for buccal absorption "Zydis Selegiline". The aim of the first study was to compare the therapeutic efficacy of Zydis Selegiline (1...
- Orally disintegrating selegiline in Parkinson patients with dopamine agonist-related adverse effectsKelly E Lyons
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 33:5-10. 2010To determine whether adding orally disintegrating selegiline (ODS) while decreasing dopamine agonist (DA) dosages would reduce DA-related adverse effects (AEs) of excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS), pedal edema, hallucinations, and ..
- Low dose (-)deprenyl is cytoprotective: it maintains mitochondrial membrane potential and eliminates oxygen radicalsL Simon
National Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology, National Stroke Center, Department of Vascular Neurology, Semmelweis University, Budapest H 1021 Hungary
Life Sci 78:225-31. 2005....
- Metabolic transformation plays a primary role in the psychostimulant-like discriminative-stimulus effects of selegiline [(R)-(-)-deprenyl]Sevil Yasar
Division of Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 317:387-94. 2006l-Deprenyl [selegiline, (R)-(-)-deprenyl] is a selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) used in the treatment of Parkinson's disease and proposed as an antidepressant and an aid for cigarette-smoking cessation and treatment of ..
- Selegiline potentiates the effects of EGb 761 in response to ischemic brain injuryY S Kwon
Neurotoxicology Program, College of Pharmacy, Korea Institute of Drug Abuse, Kangwon National University, Chunchon 200 701, South Korea
Neurochem Int 45:157-70. 2004We evaluated whether combined treatment with selegiline, a selective MAO-B inhibitor, and EGb 761, a standard extract of Ginkgo biloba, has synergistic effects against ischemic reperfusion injury (IRI) in gerbils...
- Neuroprotective actions of Selegiline in inhibiting 1-methyl, 4-phenyl, pyridinium ion (MPP+)-induced apoptosis in SK-N-SH neuronsSushil K Sharma
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
J Neurocytol 32:329-43. 2003..4-phenyl, Pyridinium ion (MPP(+)) in SK-N-SH neurons and have evaluated the neuroprotective potential of Selegiline with a primary objective to explore its mechanism(s) of neuroprotection...
- Orally disintegrating selegiline for the treatment of Parkinson's diseaseMatthias Lohle
Technische Universitat Dresden, Department of Neurology, Fetscherstrasse 74, 01307 Dresden, Germany
Expert Opin Pharmacother 9:2881-91. 2008The selective monoamine oxidase type B inhibitor selegiline is commonly administered as medical treatment to patients suffering from Parkinson's disease...
- Optimization and validation of a dissolution test for selegiline hydrochloride tablets by a novel rapid HPLC assay using a monolithic stationary phaseParaskevas D Tzanavaras
Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GR 54124 Thessaloniki, Greece
J Pharm Biomed Anal 46:670-5. 2008The present study reports the optimization and validation of a dissolution test for selegiline.HCl tablets using a new high-performance liquid chromatographic (HPLC) method...
- (-)-D-Deprenyl attenuates apoptosis in experimental brain ischaemiaL Simon
National Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology, National Stroke Center, , H-1021, Budapest, Hungary
Eur J Pharmacol 430:235-41. 2001..D-Deprenyl treatment increased the number of GAP-43-positive cells. We conclude that (-)-D-deprenyl reduced the number of affected cells and induced neuronal plasticity...
- Monoamine oxidase-inhibition and MPTP-induced neurotoxicity in the non-human primate: comparison of rasagiline (TVP 1012) with selegilineA Kupsch
Department of Neurology, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians University, and Institute of Physiology, Munchen, Federal Republic of Germany
J Neural Transm 108:985-1009. 2001..B (MAO-B) has been reported to be implicated in both MPTP-induced parkinsonism and Parkinson's disease, since selegiline (L-deprenyl), an irreversible MAO-B inhibitor, prevents MPTP-induced neurotoxicity in numerous species including ..
- Effects of selegiline on antioxidant systems in the nigrostriatum in ratK Takahata
Research Institute, Fujimoto Pharmaceutical Corporation, Osaka, Japan
J Neural Transm 113:151-8. 2006b>Selegiline, a therapeutic agent of Parkinson's disease, is known to have neuroprotective properties that may involve its regulatory effects on antioxidant enzymes...
- Increased cell-cell adhesion, a novel effect of R-(-)-deprenylV Jenei
Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, Chemical Research Center, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, Hungary
J Neural Transm 112:1433-45. 2005..The effect of R-(-)-deprenyl was not reversible during a 24-hour recovery period. In summary, we described a new, MAO-B independent effect of R-(-)-deprenyl on cell-cell adhesion which can contribute to its neuroprotective function...
- Selegiline and oxidative stress in HIV-associated cognitive impairmentG Schifitto
University of Rochester, NY, USA
Neurology 73:1975-81. 2009To assess the effectiveness of the selegiline transdermal system (STS) in reversing HIV-induced metabolic brain injury (as measured by proton magnetic resonance spectroscopy [MRS]) and in decreasing oxidative stress, measured by CSF ..
- Selegiline in the management of apathy following traumatic brain injuryGil Newburn
Rotorua Rehabilitation Clinic, Rotorua, New Zealand
Brain Inj 19:149-54. 2005To provide a brief review of apathy following traumatic brain injury (TBI) and describe the use of selegiline in a group of patients with this symptom.
- The multiple actions of selegilineManuchair Ebadi
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology, and Therapeutics, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, P O Box 9037, 501 North Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203, USA
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:39-41. 2002
- Contrasting neuroprotective and neurotoxic actions of respective metabolites of anti-Parkinson drugs rasagiline and selegilineOrit Bar Am
Eve Topf and US National Parkinson Foundation Center of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research, Technion Faculty of Medicine, Efron St PO Box 9697, Haifa 31096, Israel
Neurosci Lett 355:169-72. 2004The anti-Parkinson selective irreversible monoamine oxidase B inhibitor drugs, rasagiline and selegiline, have been shown to possess neuroprotective activities in cell culture and in vivo models...
- Selegiline completely restores choline acetyltransferase activity deficits in simian immunodeficiency infectionE Koutsilieri
Clinical Neurochemistry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Wurzburg, Fuchsleinstr 15, 97080, Wurzburg, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 411:R1-R2. 2001..We report now that selegiline, completely restores the reduced choline acetyltransferase activity which encourages for a meaningful anti-..
- A new formulation of selegiline: improved bioavailability and selectivity for MAO-B inhibitionA Clarke
Scherer DDS, Swindon, United Kingdom
J Neural Transm 110:1241-55. 2003..studies were conducted in healthy volunteers to compare the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic profiles of selegiline hydrochloride in a new formulation designed for buccal absorption "Zydis Selegiline" (1...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of selegiline transdermal system (STS) for the treatment of cocaine dependenceAhmed Elkashef
National Institute on Drug Abuse NIDA, Division of Pharmacotherapies and Medical Consequences of Drug Abuse DPMCDA, MSC 9551 Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 85:191-7. 2006Cocaine dependence is a major public health problem for which there is no FDA-approved pharmacological treatment. Selegiline is an irreversible selective inhibitor of monoamine oxidase type B (MAO-B) which may affect cocaine addiction ..
- Selegiline metabolism and cytochrome P450 enzymes: in vitro study in human liver microsomesP Taavitsainen
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Oulu, Finland
Pharmacol Toxicol 86:215-21. 2000Although being a drug therapeutically used for a long time, the enzymatic metabolism of selegiline has not been adequately studied...
- Transdermal selegiline: targeted effects on monoamine oxidases in the brainLynn Wecker
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, Florida 33612 4799, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:1099-104. 2003..These studies determined whether the transdermal administration of selegiline has differential effects on MAOs in brain versus the gastrointestinal system.
- Comparative study of the effects of isatin, an endogenous MAO-inhibitor, and selegiline on bradykinesia and dopamine levels in a rat model of Parkinson's disease induced by the Japanese encephalitis virusN Hamaue
The Research Institute of Personalized Health Sciences, Health Sciences University of Hokkaido, 061 0293 Ishikari Tobetsu, Japan
Neurotoxicology 25:205-13. 2004..b>Selegiline [(-)-deprenil] was developed as a MAO-B inhibitor more than 30 years ago and widely used in the treatment of ..
- Amphetamine-induced locomotor activity is reduced in mice following MPTP treatment but not following selegiline/MPTP treatmentBrian D West
Neuroscience Drug Discovery, Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 4, WP44E 200, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 84:158-61. 2006..Further, the potential for use of this endpoint to evaluate putative therapeutics is exemplified by the amelioration of these effects following pre-treatment with the MAO-B inhibitor selegiline.
- Therapeutic factors causing hallucination in Parkinson's disease patients, especially those given selegilineKeiko Kamakura
Third Department of Internal Medicine, National Defense Medical College, 3 2 Namiki, Tokorozawa, Saitama 359 8513, Japan
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 10:235-42. 2004b>Selegiline protects nigral dopaminergic neurons and is recommended for the treatment of patients in the early stage of Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Tyramine pressor sensitivity during treatment with the selegiline transdermal system 6 mg/24 h in healthy subjectsAlbert J Azzaro
Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Tampa, Florida, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 46:933-44. 2006The oral tyramine pressor test was administered to healthy males during treatment with a selegiline transdermal system (STS; 6 mg/24 h)...
- Effects of selegiline alone or with donepezil on memory impairment in ratsKazue Takahata
Research Institute, Fujimoto Pharmaceutical Corporation, 1 3 40 Nishiotsuka, Matsubara, Osaka 580 0011, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 518:140-4. 2005b>Selegiline, a monoamine oxidase-B inhibitor, is reported to improve memory and learning in dementia of Alzheimer's type. However, only a few studies have reported its use in animal models...
- Selegiline in narcolepsyS E Roselaar
University Department of Neurology, King's College School of Medicine, London, England
Sleep 10:491-5. 1987We examined the effect of the specific monoamine oxidase-B (MAO-B) inhibitor selegiline (deprenyl, Eldepryl), 20-30 mg p.o. daily, in 21 subjects with the narcoleptic syndrome for 4 weeks...
- Toxicokinetic evaluation of a selegiline transdermal system in the dogJ S Barrett
Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Tampa, FL, USA
Biopharm Drug Dispos 18:165-84. 1997The toxicology and toxicokinetics of a selegiline transdermal system (STS) were evaluated in a 3 month dog study of daily 24 h applications of placebo 4, 8, or 12 STSs in 32 male and 32 female beagle dogs...
- Comparative neuroprotective effects of rasagiline and aminoindan with selegiline on dexamethasone-induced brain cell apoptosisShawna Tazik
Division of Neurobiology and Behavioral Research, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior G 109, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500N State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Neurotox Res 15:284-90. 2009..In this study, we have compared the ability of rasagiline (Azilect) and its main metabolite, R-aminoindan with selegiline (Deprenyl) in prevention of dexamethasone-induced brain cell death employing human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells ..
- Antidepressant-like effects of selegiline in the forced swim testSeiichiro Shimazu
Research Institute, Fujimoto Pharmaceutical Corporation, 1 3 40 Nishiotsuka, Matsubara, Osaka 580 0011, Japan
Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 15:563-71. 2005Although selegiline, a monoamine oxidase (MAO)-B inhibitor, is reported to exert antidepressant effects in depressant patients, evidence in rodents for effects of selegiline is quite limited...
- Clomipramine and selegiline: do they influence impulse control?B Bert
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 29:41-7. 2006..The reduction of these undesirable actions is the focus of behaviour therapy. Clomipramine and selegiline have been approved for the treatment of separation anxiety in dogs, but there are anecdotal reports that they ..
- Transdermal selegiline in HIV-associated cognitive impairment: pilot, placebo-controlled studyN Sacktor
Department of Neurology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neurology 54:233-5. 2000..a pilot randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of the transdermal administration of selegiline in HIV+ patients to obtain preliminary data to assess its safety, tolerability, and impact on HIV-associated ..
- Selegiline slows the progression of the symptoms of Parkinson diseaseS Palhagen
Department of Neurology, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, SE 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Neurology 66:1200-6. 2006To study the long-term effects of selegiline in monotherapy and in combination with levodopa in the early phase of Parkinson disease (PD).
- Transdermal selegiline and intravenous cocaine: safety and interactionsElisabeth J Houtsmuller
Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Bayview Medical Center, 5510 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224 6823, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172:31-40. 2004..b>Selegiline, a selective monoamine oxidase B inhibitor, indirectly modulates dopamine levels, and research suggests ..
- Long-term persistence of symptomatic effect of selegiline in Parkinson's disease. A two-months placebo-controlled withdrawal studyA Negrotti
Istituto di Neurologia, , Italy
J Neural Transm 108:215-9. 2001Following a two-months of placebo-controlled withdrawal, the MAO-B inhibitor selegiline was found to maintain a long term significant mild to moderate symptomatic effect on bradykinesia and tremor at rest in nine patients with Parkinson's ..
- Effects of (-)deprenyl (selegiline) on acetylcholinesterase and Na(+),K(+)-ATPase activities in adult rat whole brainCharalambos Antoniades
Department of Experimental Physiology, Medical School, University of Athens, P O Box 65257, GR 154 01 Athens, Greece
Pharmacol Res 46:165-9. 2002..We conclude that (-)deprenyl is an indirect AChE inhibitor and Na(+),K(+)-ATPase stimulator in the rat brain (in vitro)...
- Selegiline transdermal system: an examination of the potential for CYP450-dependent pharmacokinetic interactions with 3 psychotropic medicationsAlbert J Azzaro
Chief Scientific Officer, Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Inc, Rocky Point Center, 3030 North Rocky Point Drive, Suite 250, Tampa, FL 33607, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 47:146-58. 2007b>Selegiline transdermal system (STS) is a recently approved monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressant...
- Daily transdermal administration of selegiline to guinea-pigs preferentially inhibits monoamine oxidase activity in brain when compared with intestinal and hepatic tissuesMichael Mawhinney
Department of Pharmacology, West Virginia University School of Medicine, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:27-34. 2003b>Selegiline has been formulated in an acrylic polymer adhesive mixture to be employed as a constant release topical patch for daily transdermal administration...
- Selegiline is a mechanism-based inactivator of CYP2A6 inhibiting nicotine metabolism in humans and miceEric C K Siu
Department of Pharmacology, University of Toronto, 1 King s College Circle, Room 4326, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 324:992-9. 2008b>Selegiline (l-deprenyl) is in clinical treatment trials as a potential smoking cessation drug. We investigated the affect of selegiline and its metabolites on nicotine metabolism...
- Impact of sustained deprenyl (selegiline) in levodopa-treated Parkinson's disease: a randomized placebo-controlled extension of the deprenyl and tocopherol antioxidative therapy of parkinsonism trialIra Shoulson
University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Ann Neurol 51:604-12. 2002Deprenyl (selegiline) delays the need for levodopa therapy in patients with early Parkinson's disease, but the long-term benefits of this treatment remain unclear...
- Selegiline potentiates cocaine-induced increases in rodent nucleus accumbens dopamineWynne K Schiffer
Department of Neurobiology and Behavior, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794, USA
Synapse 48:35-8. 2003b>Selegiline has been proposed as a treatment for cocaine addiction and studies in humans suggest that it attenuates cocaine's reinforcing effects...
- A preliminary placebo-controlled trial of selegiline hydrochloride for smoking cessationTony P George
Program for Research in Smokers with Mental Illness PRISM, New Haven, Connecticut 06519, USA
Biol Psychiatry 53:136-43. 2003..mechanisms appear to be involved in nicotine dependence, we studied the safety and efficacy of the monoamine oxidase B inhibitor selegiline hydrochloride compared with placebo for smoking cessation in nicotine-dependent cigarette smokers.
- The effect of selegiline in the treatment of people with Alzheimer's disease: a meta-analysis of published trialsG K Wilcock
Department of Care of the Elderly, University of Bristol, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:175-83. 2002To evaluate the effect of selegiline in the treatment of patients with Alzheimer's disease, in terms of cognitive performance, functional ability, emotional state (including behaviour and mood) and global response...
- The influence of metabolism on the MAO-B inhibitory potency of selegilineD Haberle
Department of Pharmacodynamics Semmelweis University, H 1445 Budapest, Hungary
Curr Med Chem 9:47-51. 2002Deprenyl (selegiline), a propargylamine derivative of methylamphetamine, is a potent, irreversible inhibitor of monoamine-oxidase type B (MAO-B). The MAO-B inhibitory effects of various doses (0.1-0.25-0...
- Evaluation of the potential for pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic drug interactions between selegiline transdermal system and two sympathomimetic agents (pseudoephedrine and phenylpropanolamine) in healthy volunteersAlbert J Azzaro
Somerset Pharmaceuticals, Inc
J Clin Pharmacol 47:978-90. 2007b>Selegiline transdermal system is a recently approved monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressant...
- A comprehensive assessment of the safety of intravenous methamphetamine administration during treatment with selegilineThomas F Newton
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 82:704-11. 2005b>Selegiline (L-deprenyl) is a selective irreversible monoamine oxidase B inhibitor shown to be effective in the treatment of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases...
- Effects of selegiline on fronto-temporal dementia: a neuropsychological evaluationRita Moretti
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 17:391-2. 2002
- A multicenter trial of selegiline transdermal system for HIV-associated cognitive impairmentG Schifitto
Department of Neurology, Movement and Inherited Neurologic Disorders, Clinical Trials Coordination Center, 1351 Mount Hope Avenue, Suite 223, Rochester, NY 14620, USA
Neurology 69:1314-21. 2007..b>Selegiline is an MAO-B inhibitor with antioxidant and neurotrophic properties...
- Urinary excretion of selegiline N-oxide, a new indicator for selegiline administration in manM Katagi
Forensic Science Laboratory, Osaka Prefectural Police HQ, 1 3 18, Hommachi, Chuoku, Osaka 541 0053, Japan
Xenobiotica 32:823-31. 20021. The metabolism of selegiline (SG) has been studied by investigating the time-course of urinary excretion of SG and its metabolites using high-performance liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization mass spectrometry (LC-ESI MS) in ..
- The Tetrazine Ligation for Efficient 18F Labeling and Pretargeted Imaging/RadiothZibo Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, these newly developed approaches could have important applications in many other cancer types, and thus have a significant clinical impact on a very large number of cancer patients ..
- Levodopa Pharmokinetic Optimization by Metal CoordinationThomas Piccariello; Fiscal Year: 2009..While drugs like entacapone, carbidopa and selegiline help to inhibit metabolism, extending the absorption phase is limited by a dependence on active transport ..
- PARKINSON DISEASE NEUROPROTECTION CLINICAL TRIAL CENTERBala Manyam; Fiscal Year: 2005..disease, not yet requiring symptomatic treatment and unexposed to prior treatment with levodopa/dopamine agonist/selegiline (within four months). 3)...
- Selegiline for Smoking CessationMARC POTENZA; Fiscal Year: 2007..In support of this hypothesis, in preliminary studies, we have shown that the selective MAO-B inhibitor selegiline hydrochloride (10 mg/day) significantly increases smoking abstinence rates compared to placebo...
- Selegiline for Treatment of Cannabis DependenceBRENT MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2005..b>Selegiline, a monoamine oxidase-B inhibitor, increases dopamine activity in mesolimbic and other brain regions involved in ..
- Norepinephrine and Nerve Growth Factor in Heart FailureChang Seng Liang; Fiscal Year: 2004..Superoxide dismutase and selegiline, which have been shown to prevent cardiac sympathetic nerve abnormalities in heart failure, will be used to ..
- METABOLIC STUDIES IN DEMENTIA, AGING AND DEMYELINATIONSTUART SCHNECK; Fiscal Year: 1993..pattern of AD and PD; 4) potential treatment for asymptomatic carriers of AD and PD if agents, such as selegiline and/or antioxidants in PD, can be shown to prevent or delay manifest disease; 5) expansion of the list of ..
- RADIOTRACER R & D IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE AND NEUROSCIENCESJoanna Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- RADIOTRACER R & D IN NUCLEAR MEDICINE AND NEUROSCIENCESJoanna Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Addiction and the Brain: Are We Hard Wired to Abuse DrugsJoanna Fowler; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- PINEAL OPIOID RECEPTORS & ANALGESIC ACTION OF MELATONINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2002..Therefore, future research must synthesize highly efficacious melatonin analogues capable of providing maximum analgesia and hopefully being devoid of addiction liability now associated with currently available narcotics. ..
- UBIQUINONE AND MITOCHONDRIAL OXIDATIVE DISORDERS OF AGINManuchair Ebadi; Fiscal Year: 2003..pathways, G actin, and neurofilaments in neurons; C) to test the effects of neuroprotectants such as selegiline on the striatal-, hippocampal-, and cortical levels of coenzyme Q10; D) to explore the antioxidant coregulation ..
- Southeastern Michigan Parkinson's Disease ProgramPeter LeWitt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This application also discusses concepts for three pharmacological agents that could be investigated in pilot studies and, if promising, in multicenter clinical trials for assessing neuroprotection. ..
- SPECT Brain Imaging as a Biomarker of Major DepressionJay Amsterdam; Fiscal Year: 2007..We will compare these results to measurements of striatal DAT levels in 22 non-depressed, healthy subjects studied under similar conditions with [99mTc]TRODAT-1 SPECT on two separate occasions 8 weeks apart. ..
- Selegiline, Oxidative Stress and MRS in HIV DementiaGiovanni Schifitto; Fiscal Year: 2003..mitochondrial membrane potential abnormalities can be reversed by drugs with antioxidant properties including selegiline (L-deprenyl)...
- NOVEL LAPSE-RESPONSIVE APPROACH TO SMOKING CESSATIONELISABETH HOUTSMULLER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Therapeutic procedures that reduce or reverse the detrimental effects of early lapse, or interrupt the course to relapse could be a significant breakthrough in improving smoking cessation rates. ..
- Multiple Factors Affecting Placebo Response in PDChristopher Goetz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining these determinant influences will help enhance placebo responses in clinical practice and control them in clinical trials. ..
- Black cohosh therapy for menopause-related anxietyJay Amsterdam; Fiscal Year: 2006..We hypothesize that Black Cohosh will result in superior QOL measures compared to placebo. ..
- Chamomile therapy for generalized anxiety disorderJay Amsterdam; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Effects of Chronic Exposure to Smoking StimuliELISABETH HOUTSMULLER; Fiscal Year: 2004..Novel treatment strategies (e.g., extinction or sensorimotor stimulation replacement therapies), that specifically address the sensorimotor effects of smoking, would be warranted. ..
- LABORATORY STUDIES ON ETHANOL IN HUMANSELISABETH HOUTSMULLER; Fiscal Year: 2002..More generally, these studies will enhance our understanding of alcoholism and the factors that influence treatment efficacy. ..
- Nocardia: A Novel Environmental Agent For Parkinsonism?Peter LeWitt; Fiscal Year: 2003..These outcomes will be significant because they should add to our understanding of the neurodegenerative process in PD, and could lead to improved means of diagnosis and treatment for individuals with this disorder. ..
- Clinical Research Education for Drug Abuse ProfessionalsThomas Newton; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Predicting Driver Safety in Parkinson's DiseaseErgun Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..Fair and accurate means of detecting unfit drivers with PD will help mitigate the tragedy of motor vehicle crashes caused by these impaired individuals. ..
- Extended Cessation Treatment for Teen SmokersJoel D Killen; Fiscal Year: 2010..The study will provide important practical information to the medical and health communities concerning the usefulness of anti-smoking medication and psychological treatment in helping adolescent smokers to quit. ..
- PROPHYLACTIC COGNITIVE THERAPY FOR DEPRESSIONMichael E Thase; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Economic Evaluation of Addiction ServicesJENNIFER RUGER; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxidative Stress Markers and HIV DementiaNed Sacktor; Fiscal Year: 2009..We believe that oxidative stress plays a significant role in the development of HIV-D, and strategies to decrease oxidative stress may serve as a useful therapeutic target to treat HIV-D. ..
- Selegiline Patch for Treatment of Nicotine DependenceJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2008..Primary aim: To conduct the first randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of selegiline patch (STS) for the treatment of nicotine dependence...
- Blood Brain Barrier Physiology and HIV DementiaHOWARD GENDELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..The data acquired could provide new insights and therapeutic intervention strategies for monocyte BBB trafficking during progressive HIV-1 infection in brain tissue. ..
- Alzheimer's Disease Prevention Trial with EstrogensMary Sano; Fiscal Year: 2007..This trial may represent the very last chance to determine if estrogen can have a benefit in dementia prevention and memory protection. ..
- Biomarkers for Parkinson's Disease (PD) and PD DementiaJing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Adenosine, Glutamate and NeurodegenerationPATRICIA SONSALLA; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Proteomic Studies in Parkinson's DiseaseJing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Hyperthermia: Uncoupling the agony from EcstasyJON SPRAGUE; Fiscal Year: 2007..thyrotoxic [unreadable] crisis). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Family-Based Nutrition Intervention for Latino ChildrenJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2006..Measurements will be collected within one month of completing the interventions and at six months and one year follow-ups. ..
- Training Program in NeurovirologyHOWARD GENDELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Dopamine Homeostasis, Vesicles & NeurodegenerationPATRICIA SONSALLA; Fiscal Year: 2004..Results from these studies will provide novel and relevant information as to the contribution of VMAT2 containing vesicles in neuroprotection as well as in neurodegeneration of DA neurons during metabolic stress. ..
- DOPAMINERGIC NEUROTOXINS AND AGINGPATRICIA SONSALLA; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will provide novel and relevant Information as to the contribution of VMAT2-containing vesicles in neuroprotection as well as in neurodegeneration under conditions of a metabolic stress. ..
- DOUBLE-BLIND CONTROLLED TRIAL OF NIGRAL GRAFTING IN PDC Olanow; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DITHIOCARBAMATE PESTICIDES IN PARKINSON'S DISEASEJing Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The new information will shed more light on the mechanisms by which pesticides interact with aging and genetic vulnerability thereby contributing to development and progression of PD. ..
- Neurochemistry of Nicotine Dependence in SchizophreniaWynne Schiffer; Fiscal Year: 2004..Or increase inhibitory activity with the GABA agonist, gamma-vinyl GABA, prior to the nicotine challenge. We hope to guide the development of novel therapies for dual-diagnosis schizophrenia. ..
- POSTDOCTORAL INTERDISCIPLINARY HIV-AIDSThomas Newton; Fiscal Year: 2003..Each trainee's curriculum is individually designed to meet their needs and the hands-on research experience is tailored to provide experiences needed to develop independent researchers. ..
- NRT & ZYBAN FOR SMOKING CESSATION AMONG HIGH-RISK TEENSJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EFFECTS OF A PARENT VIDEO ON HISPANIC CHILDREN'S WEIGHTJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2002..The primary outcome variable will be body mass index. The secondary outcome will be children's fruit and vegetable consumption and energy intake. ..
- Maintenance Treatment for Smoking CessationJoel Killen; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Treating Agitation/Psychosis in Dementia/ParkinsonismRoger Kurlan; Fiscal Year: 2004..This study will provide important information regarding the optimal treatment of psychosis and agitation for patients with the commonly encountered combination of primary dementia and parkinsonism. ..
- PANDAS and Strep Infection: Are they Linked?Roger Kurlan; Fiscal Year: 2004..Disproving the PANDAS hypothesis would prevent the use of expensive and potentially dangerous therapies (e.g., plasma exchange, immune globulin, antibiotics) that have been proposed for PANDAS patients. ..
- Smoking Cessation for Head and Neck Cancer PatientsRobert Schnoll; Fiscal Year: 2006..In turn, our findings may help guide the implementation of smoking cessation treatments for all cancer patients within Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the US. ..
- Perindopril-Methamphetamine Interaction StudyThomas Newton; Fiscal Year: 2006..Cardiovascular responses and secondary outcome measures will be evaluated by repeated-measures analysis of variance (ANOVA). ..
- Ecstasy's neurotoxicity: role of hyperthermiaJON SPRAGUE; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- SOCIAL FACTORS AND EPIDEMIOLOGY OF COGNITIVE DECLINEMarie Florence Shadlen; Fiscal Year: 2005..Hence, these projects will allow Dr Shadlen to achieve her 5-year goal of synthesis of her interests in racial differences, dementia, and epidemiology into an independent, thought-provoking research program. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for opioid and cocaine dependenceBruce Rounsaville; Fiscal Year: 2005..4. To examine depression as a predictor of response. 5. To examine three month follow-up status after completing the treatment trial for continuation in treatment, abstinence from illicit drugs, and depressive symptoms. ..
- MEDICAL GOALS IN DEMENTIA: ETHICS & QUALITY OF LIFEPeter Whitehouse; Fiscal Year: 2005..In the final years of the proposal we will develop interventions based on the knowledge accumulated during the initial periods of the grant to enhance the decision- making of other caregiving units. ..
- DEVELOPING AND IMPROVING INSTITUTIONAL ANIMAL RESOURCESPATRICIA SONSALLA; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Brain and Behavioral Alterations After MethamphetamineWilliam Melega; Fiscal Year: 2004..This paradigm will represent a validated primate model to evaluate the efficacy of pharmacotherapies designed for treatment of neurological and behavioral deficits associated with human METH abuse. ..
- NEURONAL ELECTROPHYSIOLOGY IN HIV DEMENTIAHOWARD GENDELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001....