Genomes and Genes
Summary: A biguanide hypoglycemic agent used in the treatment of non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus not responding to dietary modification. Metformin improves glycemic control by improving insulin sensitivity and decreasing intestinal absorption of glucose. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p289)
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications322 found, 100 shown here
- Metformin: an updateDmitri Kirpichnikov
State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 450 Clarkson Avenue, Box 1205, Brooklyn, New York 11203, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:25-33. 2002b>Metformin is an insulin-sensitizing agent with potent antihyperglycemic properties. Its efficacy in reducing hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes mellitus is similar to that of sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones, and insulin...
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metforminWilliam C Knowler
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Blvd, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
N Engl J Med 346:393-403. 2002..We hypothesized that modifying these factors with a lifestyle-intervention program or the administration of metformin would prevent or delay the development of diabetes.
- Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin actionG Zhou
Department of Molecular Endocrinology, Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, New Jersey 07065, USA
J Clin Invest 108:1167-74. 2001b>Metformin is a widely used drug for treatment of type 2 diabetes with no defined cellular mechanism of action. Its glucose-lowering effect results from decreased hepatic glucose production and increased glucose utilization...
- Metformin and reduced risk of cancer in diabetic patientsJosie M M Evans
Division of Community Health Sciences, Section of Public Health, University of Dundee, Dundee DD2 4BF
BMJ 330:1304-5. 2005
- Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis in mice independently of the LKB1/AMPK pathway via a decrease in hepatic energy stateMarc Foretz
Institut Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, CNRS UMR 8104, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 120:2355-69. 2010b>Metformin is widely used to treat hyperglycemia in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Recently the LKB1/AMP-activated protein kinase (LKB1/AMPK) pathway was proposed to mediate the action of metformin on hepatic gluconeogenesis...
- The kinase LKB1 mediates glucose homeostasis in liver and therapeutic effects of metforminReuben J Shaw
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Science 310:1642-6. 2005..Finally, we show that metformin, one of the most widely prescribed type 2 diabetes therapeutics, requires LKB1 in the liver to lower blood ..
- 2-year efficacy and safety of linagliptin compared with glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled on metformin: a randomised, double-blind, non-inferiority trialBaptist Gallwitz
Department of Medicine IV, Universitatsklinikum Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Lancet 380:475-83. 2012Addition of a sulphonylurea to metformin improves glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes, but is associated with hypoglycaemia and weight gain...
- Cellular and molecular mechanisms of metformin: an overviewBenoit Viollet
INSERM, U1016, Institut Cochin, Paris, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique CNRS, UMR8104, Paris, France University Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Clin Sci (Lond) 122:253-70. 2012..efforts have been made since the 1950s to better understand the cellular and molecular mechanisms of action of metformin, a potent antihyperglycaemic agent now recommended as the first-line oral therapy for T2D (Type 2 diabetes)...
- 10-year follow-up of intensive glucose control in type 2 diabetesRury R Holman
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LJ, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 359:1577-89. 2008..We conducted post-trial monitoring to determine whether this improved glucose control persisted and whether such therapy had a long-term effect on macrovascular outcomes...
- The influence of glucose-lowering therapies on cancer risk in type 2 diabetesC J Currie
School of Medicine, Cardiff University, The Pharma Research Centre, Cardiff Medicentre, Cardiff, CF14 4UJ, UK
Diabetologia 52:1766-77. 2009..We examined the risk of development of solid tumours in relation to treatment with oral agents, human insulin and insulin analogues...
- Metformin selectively targets cancer stem cells, and acts together with chemotherapy to block tumor growth and prolong remissionHeather A Hirsch
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School and Molecular Oncology Research Institute, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cancer Res 69:7507-11. 2009..Here, we show that low doses of metformin, a standard drug for diabetes, inhibits cellular transformation and selectively kills cancer stem cells in four ..
- Metformin and pathologic complete responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in diabetic patients with breast cancerSao Jiralerspong
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, 77030 4009, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:3297-302. 2009Population studies have suggested that metformin use in diabetic patients decreases cancer incidence and mortality. Metformin inhibits the growth of cancer cells in vitro and tumors in vivo...
- Dose-ranging effects of canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, as add-on to metformin in subjects with type 2 diabetesJulio Rosenstock
Dallas Diabetes and Endocrine Center at Medical City, Dallas, Texas, USA
Diabetes Care 35:1232-8. 2012To evaluate the effects of canagliflozin, a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, in type 2 diabetes mellitus inadequately controlled with metformin monotherapy.
- Metformin is an AMP kinase-dependent growth inhibitor for breast cancer cellsMahvash Zakikhani
Department of Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Res 66:10269-73. 2006Recent population studies provide clues that the use of metformin may be associated with reduced incidence and improved prognosis of certain cancers...
- Glycemic control with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS 49). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) GroupR C Turner
Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford, England
JAMA 281:2005-12. 1999Treatment with diet alone, insulin, sulfonylurea, or metformin is known to improve glycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus, but which treatment most frequently attains target fasting plasma glucose (FPG) concentration of less ..
- Dimethylbiguanide inhibits cell respiration via an indirect effect targeted on the respiratory chain complex IM Y El-Mir
Laboratoire de Bioénergétique Fondamentale et Appliquée, Universite Joseph Fourier, F 38041 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
J Biol Chem 275:223-8. 2000....
- Metformin: multi-faceted protection against cancerSonia del Barco
Medical Oncology, Catalan Institute of Oncology, Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Oncotarget 2:896-917. 2011The biguanide metformin, a widely used drug for the treatment of type 2 diabetes, may exert cancer chemopreventive effects by suppressing the transformative and hyperproliferative processes that initiate carcinogenesis...
- Systemic treatment with the antidiabetic drug metformin selectively impairs p53-deficient tumor cell growthMonica Buzzai
Abramson Family Cancer Research Institute, Department of Cancer Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cancer Res 67:6745-52. 2007The effect of the antidiabetic drug metformin on tumor growth was investigated using the paired isogenic colon cancer cell lines HCT116 p53(+/+) and HCT116 p53(-/-)...
- Liraglutide vs insulin glargine and placebo in combination with metformin and sulfonylurea therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus (LEAD-5 met+SU): a randomised controlled trialD Russell-Jones
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Guildford Hospital, UK
Diabetologia 52:2046-55. 2009The aim of the study was to compare the efficacy and safety of liraglutide in type 2 diabetes mellitus vs placebo and insulin glargine (A21Gly,B31Arg,B32Arg human insulin), all in combination with metformin and glimepiride.
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1)A Ramachandran
Diabetes Research Centre, M V Hospital for Diabetes, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Education and Training in Diabetes, Royapuram, Chennai, India
Diabetologia 49:289-97. 2006..In a prospective community-based study, we tested whether the progression to diabetes could be influenced by interventions in native Asian Indians with IGT who were younger, leaner and more insulin resistant than the above populations...
- Cancer risk associated with use of metformin and sulfonylurea in type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysisDavide Soranna
Dipartimento di Epidemiologia, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via La Masa 19, Milan, Italy
Oncologist 17:813-22. 2012Oral antidiabetic drugs (including metformin and sulfonylurea) may play a role in the relationship between type 2 diabetes and cancer...
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetesWilliam Duckworth
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
N Engl J Med 360:129-39. 2009..The effects of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular events in patients with long-standing type 2 diabetes mellitus remain uncertain...
- AMP-activated protein kinase in metabolic control and insulin signalingMhairi C Towler
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Circ Res 100:328-41. 2007..system may be partly responsible for the health benefits of exercise and is the target for the antidiabetic drug metformin. It is a key player in the development of new treatments for obesity, type 2 diabetes, and the metabolic syndrome...
- Antidiabetic therapies affect risk of pancreatic cancerDonghui Li
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Gastroenterology 137:482-8. 2009..We investigated the effect of antidiabetic therapies on the risk of pancreatic cancer...
- Metformin-induced preferential killing of breast cancer initiating CD44+CD24-/low cells is sufficient to overcome primary resistance to trastuzumab in HER2+ human breast cancer xenograftsSílvia Cufí
Translational Research Laboratory, Catalan Institute of Oncology ICO, Girona, Spain
Oncotarget 3:395-8. 2012..Because recent studies have shown that the anti-diabetic biguanide metformin can exert antitumor effects by targeted killing of CSC-like cells, we explored whether metformin's ability to ..
- Identification and characterization of a small molecule AMPK activator that treats key components of type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndromeBarbara Cool
Department of Metabolic Disease Research, Abbott Laboratories, 100 Abbott Park Road, Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
Cell Metab 3:403-16. 2006..These results demonstrate that small molecule-mediated activation of AMPK in vivo is feasible and represents a promising approach for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and the metabolic syndrome...
- The antidiabetic drug metformin exerts an antitumoral effect in vitro and in vivo through a decrease of cyclin D1 levelI Ben Sahra
INSERM U568, Nice, France
Oncogene 27:3576-86. 2008b>Metformin is a widely used antidiabetic agent, which regulates glucose homeostasis through inhibition of liver glucose production and an increase in muscle glucose uptake...
- Metformin and cancer risk in diabetic patients: a systematic review and meta-analysisAndrea Decensi
Division of Medical Oncology Unit, EO Ospedali Galliera, Mura delle Cappuccine 14, 16128 Genoa, Italy
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:1451-61. 2010b>Metformin, an insulin-lowering agent, has been associated with decreased cancer risk in epidemiologic studies in diabetic patients...
- Increased cancer-related mortality for patients with type 2 diabetes who use sulfonylureas or insulinSamantha L Bowker
Institute of Health Economics, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 29:254-8. 2006..We explored the association between antidiabetic therapies and cancer-related mortality in patients with type 2 diabetes, postulating that agents that increase insulin levels might promote cancer...
- New users of metformin are at low risk of incident cancer: a cohort study among people with type 2 diabetesGillian Libby
Division of Clinical and Population Sciences and Education, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Diabetes Care 32:1620-5. 2009The antidiabetic properties of metformin are mediated through its ability to activate the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK)...
- Cancer risk in diabetic patients treated with metformin: a systematic review and meta-analysisHiroshi Noto
Department of Diabetes and Metabolic Medicine, Center Hospital, National Center for Global Health and Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e33411. 2012A growing body of evidence has suggested that metformin potentially reduces the risk of cancer...
- Effect of vitamin E or metformin for treatment of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in children and adolescents: the TONIC randomized controlled trialJoel E Lavine
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
JAMA 305:1659-68. 2011..Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) is the most common chronic liver disease in US children and adolescents and can present with advanced fibrosis or nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). No treatment has been established...
- Metformin suppresses ovarian cancer growth and metastasis with enhancement of cisplatin cytotoxicity in vivoRamandeep Rattan
Department of Experimental Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Neoplasia 13:483-91. 2011..Here, we investigated the efficacy of metformin alone and in combination with cisplatin in vivo...
- Dual effect of metformin on breast cancer proliferation in a randomized presurgical trialBernardo Bonanni
Division of Medical Oncology, E O Ospedali Galliera, Mura delle Cappuccine 14, Genoa, Italy
J Clin Oncol 30:2593-600. 2012b>Metformin is associated with reduced breast cancer risk in observational studies in patients with diabetes, but clinical evidence for antitumor activity is unclear...
- Metformin decreases the dose of chemotherapy for prolonging tumor remission in mouse xenografts involving multiple cancer cell typesDimitrios Iliopoulos
Department of Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Cancer Res 71:3196-201. 2011b>Metformin, the first-line drug for treating diabetes, selectively kills the chemotherapy resistant subpopulation of cancer stem cells (CSC) in genetically distinct types of breast cancer cell lines...
- Activation of AMPK by the putative dietary restriction mimetic metformin is insufficient to extend lifespan in DrosophilaCathy Slack
Institute of Healthy Ageing, Department of Genetics Evolution and Environment, University College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e47699. 2012The biguanide drug, metformin, commonly used to treat type-2 diabetes, has been shown to extend lifespan and reduce fecundity in C...
- Metformin retards aging in C. elegans by altering microbial folate and methionine metabolismFilipe Cabreiro
Institute of Healthy Ageing, and G E E, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Cell 153:228-39. 2013The biguanide drug metformin is widely prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, but its mode of action remains uncertain. Metformin also increases lifespan in Caenorhabditis elegans cocultured with Escherichia coli...
- Hyperactivation of oxidative mitochondrial metabolism in epithelial cancer cells in situ: visualizing the therapeutic effects of metformin in tumor tissueDiana Whitaker-Menezes
The Jefferson Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine Center, Kimmel Cancer Center, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Cell Cycle 10:4047-64. 2011..COX and NADH activities were blocked by electron transport inhibitors, such as Metformin. This has mechanistic and clinical implications for using Metformin as an anti-cancer drug, both for cancer ..
- Metformin: taking away the candy for cancer?Mathilde Jalving
Department of Medical Oncology, University Medical Centre Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Cancer 46:2369-80. 2010b>Metformin is widely used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2 where it reduces insulin resistance and diabetes-related morbidity and mortality...
- Use of cells expressing gamma subunit variants to identify diverse mechanisms of AMPK activationSimon A Hawley
Division of Molecular Physiology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, Scotland, UK
Cell Metab 11:554-65. 2010..oligomycin and dinitrophenol only activated AMPK in WT cells, as did AICAR, 2-deoxyglucose, hydrogen peroxide, metformin, phenformin, galegine, troglitazone, phenobarbital, resveratrol, and berberine...
- Targeting cancer cell metabolism: the combination of metformin and 2-deoxyglucose induces p53-dependent apoptosis in prostate cancer cellsIssam Ben Sahra
Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, Institut Signalisation et Pathologies, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U895, Nice, France
Cancer Res 70:2465-75. 2010Targeting cancer cell metabolism is a new promising strategy to fight cancer. Metformin, a widely used antidiabetic agent, exerts antitumoral and antiproliferative action...
- Exploring long-term protection of normal human fibroblasts and epithelial cells from chemotherapy in cell culturePasha Apontes
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Elm and Carlton Streets, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Oncotarget 2:222-33. 2011..Also, a combination of rapamycin and metformin, an anti-diabetic drug, induced G1 and G2 arrest selectively in normal cells and thereby protected them from MI...
- Metformin, independent of AMPK, induces mTOR inhibition and cell-cycle arrest through REDD1Isaam Ben Sahra
Cellular and Molecular Physiopathology of Obesity and Diabetes and Cell Death, Differentiation and Cancer Teams, INSERM U895, C3M, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, Faculty of Medicine, Nice, France
Cancer Res 71:4366-72. 2011b>Metformin is a widely prescribed antidiabetic drug associated with a reduced risk of cancer. Many studies show that metformin inhibits cancer cell viability through the inhibition of mTOR...
- Metformin targets Stat3 to inhibit cell growth and induce apoptosis in triple-negative breast cancersXin Sheng Deng
Department of Pathology, University of Colorado Denver, Denver, CO, USA
Cell Cycle 11:367-76. 2012..Because TN cells are particularly sensitive to the anti-diabetic agent metformin, we hypothesized that it may target JAK2/Stat3 signaling...
- Targeting metabolism for cancer treatment and prevention: metformin, an old drug with multi-faceted effectsM A Pierotti
Scientific Directorate, Fondazione IRCCS, Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori, Milan, Italy
Oncogene 32:1475-87. 2013..b>Metformin, an antidiabetic drug widely used for over 40 years, mimics caloric restriction acting on cell metabolism at ..
- Efficacy and safety of canagliflozin versus glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin (CANTATA-SU): 52 week results from a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 non-inferiority trialWilliam T Cefalu
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Lancet 382:941-50. 2013..We compared the efficacy and safety of canagliflozin, an SGLT2 inhibitor, with glimepiride in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin.
- Metformin and the risk of cancer: time-related biases in observational studiesSamy Suissa
Centre for Clinical Epidemiology, Lady Davis Institute, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Canada
Diabetes Care 35:2665-73. 2012..Immortal time bias, time-window bias, and time-lag bias all tend to greatly exaggerate the benefits observed with a drug...
- Sequential intensification of metformin treatment in type 2 diabetes with liraglutide followed by randomized addition of basal insulin prompted by A1C targetsJ Hans DeVries
Department of Internal Medicine, Academic Medical Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 35:1446-54. 2012We evaluated the addition of liraglutide to metformin in type 2 diabetes followed by intensification with basal insulin (detemir) if glycated hemoglobin (A1C) ≥7%.
- Metformin in early breast cancer: a prospective window of opportunity neoadjuvant studySaroj Niraula
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai Hospital and Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto, 1284 600 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X5, Canada
Breast Cancer Res Treat 135:821-30. 2012b>Metformin may exert anti-cancer effects through indirect (insulin-mediated) or direct (insulin-independent) mechanisms. We report results of a neoadjuvant "window of opportunity" study of metformin in women with operable breast cancer...
- Metformin inhibits the inflammatory response associated with cellular transformation and cancer stem cell growthHeather A Hirsch
Department Biological Chemistry and Molecular Pharmacology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:972-7. 2013b>Metformin, the first-line drug for treating diabetes, inhibits cellular transformation and selectively kills cancer stem cells in breast cancer cell lines...
- Metformin selectively affects human glioblastoma tumor-initiating cell viability: A role for metformin-induced inhibition of AktRoberto Würth
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genova, Genoa, Italy
Cell Cycle 12:145-56. 2013..b>Metformin, a first-line drug for type II diabetes, was reported to possess anticancer properties affecting the survival of ..
- Comparative effects of telmisartan, sitagliptin and metformin alone or in combination on obesity, insulin resistance, and liver and pancreas remodelling in C57BL/6 mice fed on a very high-fat dietVanessa Souza-Mello
Laboratory of Morphometry, Biomedical Center, Institute of Biology, State University of Rio de Janeiro, 20551 030 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Clin Sci (Lond) 119:239-50. 2010..08 g x kg-1 of body weight.day-1), HF-M (HF diet treated with metformin; 310...
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus reportEdward Giovannucci
Departments of Nutrition and Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, 655 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 60:207-21. 2010..In addition, key unanswered questions for future research are posed...
- Metformin amplifies chemotherapy-induced AMPK activation and antitumoral growthGuilherme Z Rocha
Departments of Internal Medicine and Clinical Pathology, FCM, Universidade Estadual de Campinas UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
Clin Cancer Res 17:3993-4005. 2011b>Metformin is a widely used antidiabetic drug whose anticancer effects, mediated by the activation of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) and reduction of mTOR signaling, have become noteworthy...
- Investigating metformin for cancer prevention and treatment: the end of the beginningMichael N Pollak
Department of Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Discov 2:778-90. 2012..research and pharmacoepidemiology are providing converging evidence that the widely used antidiabetic drug metformin has antineoplastic activity, but there are caveats...
- Efficacy and safety of linagliptin in persons with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled by a combination of metformin and sulphonylurea: a 24-week randomized studyD R Owens
University Hospital Llandough, Cardiff, UK
Diabet Med 28:1352-61. 2011..0-10.0%)] by metformin and sulphonylurea combination treatment.
- The 11-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitor INCB13739 improves hyperglycemia in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled by metformin monotherapyJulio Rosenstock
Dallas Diabetes and Endocrine Center at Medical City, Dallas, Texas, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1516-22. 2010..The efficacy and safety of the 11betaHSD1 inhibitor INCB13739 were assessed when added to ongoing metformin monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes exhibiting inadequate glycemic control (A1C 7-11%).
- Common variants near ATM are associated with glycemic response to metformin in type 2 diabetesKaixin Zhou
Biomedical Research Institute, University of Dundee, Dundee, UK
Nat Genet 43:117-20. 2011b>Metformin is the most commonly used pharmacological therapy for type 2 diabetes...
- Metformin induces a dietary restriction-like state and the oxidative stress response to extend C. elegans Healthspan via AMPK, LKB1, and SKN-1Brian Onken
Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers University, Piscataway, New Jersey, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e8758. 2010b>Metformin, a biguanide drug commonly used to treat type-2 diabetes, has been noted to extend healthspan of nondiabetic mice, but this outcome, and the molecular mechanisms that underlie it, have received relatively little experimental ..
- Glycemic durability of rosiglitazone, metformin, or glyburide monotherapySteven E Kahn
Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington, Seattle 98108, USA
N Engl J Med 355:2427-43. 2006..The efficacy of thiazolidinediones, as compared with other oral glucose-lowering medications, in maintaining long-term glycemic control in type 2 diabetes is not known...
- Metformin attenuates ovarian cancer cell growth in an AMP-kinase dispensable mannerR Rattan
Department of Experimental Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Cell Mol Med 15:166-78. 2011b>Metformin, the most widely used drug for type 2 diabetes activates 59 adenosine monophosphate (AMP)-activated protein kinase (AMPK), which regulates cellular energy metabolism...
- Efficacy and safety of exenatide once weekly versus sitagliptin or pioglitazone as an adjunct to metformin for treatment of type 2 diabetes (DURATION-2): a randomised trialRichard M Bergenstal
International Diabetes Center at Park Nicollet, Minneapolis, MN 55416, USA
Lancet 376:431-9. 2010Most patients with type 2 diabetes begin pharmacotherapy with metformin, but eventually need additional treatment...
- Metformin targets ovarian cancer stem cells in vitro and in vivoJessica J Shank
Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Gynecol Oncol 127:390-7. 2012Studies in non-gynecologic tumors indicate that metformin inhibits growth of cancer stem cells (CSC). Diabetic patients with ovarian cancer who are taking metformin have better outcomes than those not taking metformin...
- Canagliflozin compared with sitagliptin for patients with type 2 diabetes who do not have adequate glycemic control with metformin plus sulfonylurea: a 52-week randomized trialGuntram Schernthaner
Rudolfstiftung Hospital Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Diabetes Care 36:2508-15. 2013To evaluate the efficacy and safety of canagliflozin, a sodium glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor, compared with sitagliptin in subjects with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin plus sulfonylurea.
- Initial combination of linagliptin and metformin improves glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyThomas Haak
Diabetes Center Mergentheim, Bad Mergentheim, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 14:565-74. 2012To evaluate the efficacy and safety of initial combination therapy with linagliptin plus metformin versus linagliptin or metformin monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Safety and efficacy of linagliptin as add-on therapy to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled studyM R Taskinen
Department of Medicine, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Diabetes Obes Metab 13:65-74. 2011To evaluate the efficacy and safety of the potent and selective dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor linagliptin administered as add-on therapy to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes with inadequate glycaemic control.
- Sirtuin 1-mediated cellular metabolic memory of high glucose via the LKB1/AMPK/ROS pathway and therapeutic effects of metforminZhi Zheng
Department of Ophthalmology, First People s Hospital of Shanghai, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
Diabetes 61:217-28. 2012..Here, we investigate the role of sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) and metformin in this phenomenon...
- Long term treatment with metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes and risk of vitamin B-12 deficiency: randomised placebo controlled trialJolien de Jager
Department of Ophthalmology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, Netherlands
BMJ 340:c2181. 2010To study the effects of metformin on the incidence of vitamin B-12 deficiency (<150 pmol/l), low concentrations of vitamin B-12 (150-220 pmol/l), and folate and homocysteine concentrations in patients with type 2 diabetes receiving ..
- Association of metformin, elevated homocysteine, and methylmalonic acid levels and clinically worsened diabetic peripheral neuropathyDaryl J Wile
Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Diabetes Care 33:156-61. 2010The severity of peripheral neuropathy in diabetic patients varies for unclear reasons. Long-term use of metformin is associated with malabsorption of vitamin B(12) (cobalamin [Cbl]) and elevated homocysteine (Hcy) and methylmalonic acid (..
- Different patterns of Akt and ERK feedback activation in response to rapamycin, active-site mTOR inhibitors and metformin in pancreatic cancer cellsHeloisa P Soares
Division of Digestive Diseases, Department of Medicine CURE Digestive Diseases Research Center David Geffen School of Medicine and Molecular Biology Institute, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 8:e57289. 2013..In contrast, metformin abolished mTORC1 activation without over-stimulating Akt phosphorylation on Ser(473) and prevented mitogen-..
- Metformin inhibits melanoma development through autophagy and apoptosis mechanismsT Tomic
INSERM U895, Team 1, centre méditerranéen de médecine moléculaire C3 M, équipe 1 Biologie et pathologies des cellules mélanocytaires, Bâtiment Archimed, Nice, France
Cell Death Dis 2:e199. 2011b>Metformin is the most widely used antidiabetic drug because of its proven efficacy and limited secondary effects. Interestingly, recent studies have reported that metformin can block the growth of different tumor types...
- Glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes: assessing effects of time-varying exposureS L Bowker
Department of Public Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of Alberta, 2 040 Health Research Innovation Facility, Edmonton, AB, Canada T6G 2E1
Diabetologia 53:1631-7. 2010We explored the relationship between glucose-lowering agents and cancer mortality rates in type 2 diabetes patients, hypothesising a decreased risk of cancer mortality with metformin use and a dose-risk gradient for insulin therapy.
- Efficacy and safety of exenatide once weekly versus metformin, pioglitazone, and sitagliptin used as monotherapy in drug-naive patients with type 2 diabetes (DURATION-4): a 26-week double-blind studyDavid Russell-Jones
Department of Diabetes and Endocrinology, Royal Surrey County Hospital, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Diabetes Care 35:252-8. 2012To test the safety and efficacy of exenatide once weekly (EQW) compared with metformin (MET), pioglitazone (PIO), and sitagliptin (SITA) over 26 weeks, in suboptimally treated (diet and exercise) drug-naive patients with type 2 diabetes.
- Use of twice-daily exenatide in Basal insulin-treated patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, controlled trialJohn B Buse
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, 27599, USA
Ann Intern Med 154:103-12. 2011..Insulin replacement in diabetes often requires prandial intervention to reach hemoglobin A₁(c) (HbA₁(c)) targets...
- The Anti-diabetic drugs rosiglitazone and metformin stimulate AMP-activated protein kinase through distinct signaling pathwaysLee G D Fryer
Cellular Stress Group, Medical Research Council Clinical Sciences Centre, Hammersmith Hospital, DuCane Road, London W12 0NN, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:25226-32. 2002..In muscle cells, both hyperosmotic stress and the anti-diabetic agent, metformin, activate AMPK in the absence of any increase in the AMP:ATP ratio...
- If started early in life, metformin treatment increases life span and postpones tumors in female SHR miceVladimir N Anisimov
N N Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, Pesochny 2, St Petersburg, Russia
Aging (Albany NY) 3:148-57. 2011Hyperglycemia and hyperinsulinemia accelerate both aging and cancer. Antidiabetic biguanides such as metformin decrease glucose, insulin and IGF-1 level...
- Long-term metformin use is associated with decreased risk of breast cancerMichael Bodmer
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Diabetes Care 33:1304-8. 2010..To evaluate whether use of oral hypoglycemic agents is associated with an altered breast cancer risk in women...
- Validation of anti-aging drugs by treating age-related diseasesMikhail V Blagosklonny
Cancer Center, Ordway Research Institute, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Aging (Albany NY) 1:281-8. 2009..If the group is large, then the anti-aging effect could be validated in a couple of years. Startlingly, retrospective analysis of clinical and preclinical data reveals four potential anti-aging modalities...
- Mortality after incident cancer in people with and without type 2 diabetes: impact of metformin on survivalCraig J Currie
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School ofMedicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Diabetes Care 35:299-304. 2012..We examined the hypotheses that survival after a diagnosis of solid-tumor cancer is reduced in those with diabetes when compared with those without diabetes, and that treatment with metformin influences survival after cancer diagnosis.
- Metformin and cancer therapyFrederic Bost
INSERM U895, Centre Méditerranéen de Médecine Moléculaire, Team Cellular and Molecular Physiopathology of Obesity and Diabetes, Nice, France
Curr Opin Oncol 24:103-8. 2012To focus on the potential role of metformin, a widely used antidiabetic drug, in cancer treatment.
- Metformin associated with lower cancer mortality in type 2 diabetes: ZODIAC-16Gijs W D Landman
Internal Medicine, Isala Clinics, Zwolle, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 33:322-6. 2010Several studies have suggested an association between specific diabetes treatment and cancer mortality. We studied the association between metformin use and cancer mortality in a prospectively followed cohort.
- Metformin in cancer therapy: a new perspective for an old antidiabetic drug?Issam Ben Sahra
INSERM U895, Team 7 Cellular and Molecular Physiopathology of Obesity and Diabetes, Nice, France
Mol Cancer Ther 9:1092-9. 2010b>Metformin is the most widely used antidiabetic drug in the world, and there is increasing evidence of a potential efficacy of this agent as an anticancer drug...
- Effect of noninsulin antidiabetic drugs added to metformin therapy on glycemic control, weight gain, and hypoglycemia in type 2 diabetesOlivia J Phung
University of Connecticut School of Pharmacy, Storrs, and Drug Information Center, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut 06102 5037, USA
JAMA 303:1410-8. 2010b>Metformin is the recommended initial drug therapy for patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). However, the optimal second-line drug when metformin monotherapy fails is unclear.
- Metformin prevents tobacco carcinogen--induced lung tumorigenesisRegan M Memmott
National Cancer Institute Navy Medical Oncology, Room 5101, Building 8, 8901 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:1066-76. 2010..The biguanide metformin, which is widely prescribed for the treatment of type II diabetes, might be a good candidate for lung cancer ..
- Metformin activates AMP kinase through inhibition of AMP deaminaseJiangyong Ouyang
Department of Pathology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10010, USA
J Biol Chem 286:1-11. 2011The mechanism for how metformin activates AMPK (AMP-activated kinase) was investigated in isolated skeletal muscle L6 cells. A widely held notion is that inhibition of the mitochondrial respiratory chain is central to the mechanism...
- The antidiabetic drug metformin activates the AMP-activated protein kinase cascade via an adenine nucleotide-independent mechanismSimon A Hawley
Division of Molecular Physiology, School of Life Sciences and Wellcome Trust Biocentre, Dundee University, Dundee, Scotland, UK
Diabetes 51:2420-5. 2002b>Metformin, a drug widely used to treat type 2 diabetes, was recently shown to activate the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) in intact cells and in vivo. In this study we addressed the mechanism for this effect...
- Metformin inhibits mammalian target of rapamycin-dependent translation initiation in breast cancer cellsRyan J O Dowling
Department of Biochemistry, McGill Cancer Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Cancer Res 67:10804-12. 2007b>Metformin is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes because of its ability to lower blood glucose...
- Metformin and cancer occurrence in insulin-treated type 2 diabetic patientsMatteo Monami
Section of Geriatric Cardiology and Medicine, Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Florence and Careggi Teaching Hospital, Florence, Italy
Diabetes Care 34:129-31. 2011b>Metformin is associated with reduced cancer-related morbidity and mortality. The aim of this study was to assess the effect of metformin on cancer incidence in a consecutive series of insulin-treated patients.
- Type 2 diabetes increases and metformin reduces total, colorectal, liver and pancreatic cancer incidences in Taiwanese: a representative population prospective cohort study of 800,000 individualsMeei Shyuan Lee
School of Public Health, National Defense Medical Center, Taipei, ROC
BMC Cancer 11:20. 2011b>Metformin protection against cancer risk in Orientals is uncertain. We examined the possible metformin effect on total, esophageal, gastric, colorectal (CRC), hepatocellular (HCC) and pancreatic cancers in a Taiwanese cohort.
- Metformin for aging and cancer preventionVladimir N Anisimov
Department of Carcinogenesis and Oncogerontology, N N Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, St Petersburg 197758, Russia
Aging (Albany NY) 2:760-74. 2010..Thus, antidiabetic drugs postpone spontaneous carcinogenesis in mice and rats, as well as chemical and radiation carcinogenesis in mice, rats and hamsters. Furthermore metformin seems to decrease cancer risk in diabetic patients.
- The anti-diabetic drug metformin suppresses self-renewal and proliferation of trastuzumab-resistant tumor-initiating breast cancer stem cellsAlejandro Vazquez-Martin
Catalan Institute of Oncology, Girona ICO Girona, Dr Josep Trueta University Hospital, Ctra França s n, 17007, Girona, Catalonia, Spain
Breast Cancer Res Treat 126:355-64. 2011We here demonstrate that the anti-diabetic drug metformin interacts synergistically with the anti-HER2 monoclonal antibody trastuzumab (Tzb; Herceptin™) to eliminate stem/progenitor cell populations in HER2-gene-amplified breast ..
- Metformin, independent of AMPK, inhibits mTORC1 in a rag GTPase-dependent mannerAdem Kalender
Department of Cancer and Cell Biology, Metabolic Diseases Institute, University of Cincinnati, 2180 E Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45237, USA
Cell Metab 11:390-401. 2010..It is thought that agents that increase the cellular AMP/ATP ratio, such as the antidiabetic biguanides metformin and phenformin, inhibit mTORC1 through AMPK activation of TSC1/2-dependent or -independent mechanisms...
- Rosiglitazone evaluated for cardiovascular outcomes in oral agent combination therapy for type 2 diabetes (RECORD): a multicentre, randomised, open-label trialPhilip D Home
Newcastle Diabetes Centre and Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Lancet 373:2125-35. 2009Rosiglitazone is an insulin sensitiser used in combination with metformin, a sulfonylurea, or both, for lowering blood glucose in people with type 2 diabetes...
- Liraglutide versus sitagliptin for patients with type 2 diabetes who did not have adequate glycaemic control with metformin: a 26-week, randomised, parallel-group, open-label trialRichard E Pratley
Diabetes and Metabolism Translational Medicine Unit, University of Vermont College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, USA
Lancet 375:1447-56. 2010..and safety of the human GLP-1 analogue liraglutide versus the DPP-4 inhibitor sitagliptin, as adjunct treatments to metformin, in individuals with type 2 diabetes who did not achieve adequate glycaemic control with metformin alone.
- Genetic variation in the organic cation transporter 1 is associated with metformin response in patients with diabetes mellitusM L Becker
Department of Epidemiology, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Pharmacogenomics J 9:242-7. 2009..transporter 1, encoded by the SLC22A1 gene, is responsible for the uptake of the anti-hyperglycaemic drug, metformin, in the hepatocyte...
- Metformin against TGFβ-induced epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition (EMT): from cancer stem cells to aging-associated fibrosisSílvia Cufí
Catalan Institute of Oncology, Girona
Cell Cycle 9:4461-8. 2010..Earlier studies from our group have revealed that clinically-relevant concentrations of the biguanide derivative metformin, the most widely used oral agent to lower blood glucose concentration in patients with type 2 diabetes and ..
- Metformin: a therapeutic opportunity in breast cancerAna M Gonzalez-Angulo
Department of Breast Medical Oncology, The University of Texas, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:1695-700. 2010..b>Metformin inhibits transcription of key gluconeogenesis genes in the liver, increases glucose uptake in skeletal muscle, ..
- Metformin inhibits breast cancer cell growth, colony formation and induces cell cycle arrest in vitroIrina N Alimova
Department of Pathology, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, Colorado 80045, USA
Cell Cycle 8:909-15. 2009The anti-diabetic drug metformin reduces human cancer incidence and improves the survival of cancer patients, including those with breast cancer...
- Metformin extends life span of HER-2/neu transgenic mice and in combination with melatonin inhibits growth of transplantable tumors in vivoVladimir N Anisimov
N N Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, St Petersburg, Russia
Cell Cycle 9:188-97. 2010Population studies have shown that treatment with the antidiabetic biguanide metformin significantly reduced cancer risk...
- Gender differences in metformin effect on aging, life span and spontaneous tumorigenesis in 129/Sv miceVladimir N Anisimov
N N Petrov Research Institute of Oncology, Pesochny 2, St Petersburg 197758, Russia
Aging (Albany NY) 2:945-58. 2010..Antidiabetic biguanides are most promising among them. The chronic treatment of inbred 129/Sv mice with metformin (100 mg/kg in drinking water) slightly modified the food consumption but failed to influence the dynamics of ..
- Metformin suppresses colorectal aberrant crypt foci in a short-term clinical trialKunihiro Hosono
Division of Gastroenterology, Yokohama City University School of Medicine, 3 9 Fukuura, Kanazawa Ku, Yokohama 236 0004, Japan
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:1077-83. 2010The biguanide metformin is widely used for treating diabetes mellitus. We previously showed the chemopreventive effect of metformin in two rodent models of colorectal carcinogenesis...
- Neuroprotection and Myelin Repair Mechanisms in Multiple SclerosisInderjit Singh; Fiscal Year: 2013..studies established that AMPK activation by 5-aminoimidazole-4-carboxamide-1-2-D-ribofuranoside (AICAR) or metformin attenuates EAE disease and provides neuro-protection via immunomodulation and protection of the blood brain ..
- Sex Hormones in Postmenopausal Women in the Diabetes Prevention ProgramCatherine Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..Program (DPP) was a large randomized controlled trial (n=3,234) of intensive lifestyle intervention and metformin for prevention of diabetes...
- NITROGEN HETEROCYCLES: METABOLIC EFFECTS AND TOXICITYRaymond F Novak; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of an insulin mimetic, atorvastatin and metformin are relevant to Akt signaling, insulin resistance, and clinical treatment of diabetes, while the inhibitors of ..
- Novel PPAR-Independent Peroxisome Proliferators for Type 2 DiabetesLIDIA NIEROBISZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..New diabetes drugs with fewer side effects and better efficacy are needed as the first line defense drug, metformin, is not tolerated by everyone and only 36% of diabetes patients currently achieve the glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c)..
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2011..which include selective estrogen receptor antagonists, aromatase inhibitors, retinoids, COX-2 inhibitors and metformin. The strategy is to use Chemopreventive Nanocells (CPNC) that encapsulate raloxifene, anastrazole, metformin, ..
- Theranostic Nanomedicine for Breast Cancer Prevention and Image-Guided TherapyPrakash R Rai; Fiscal Year: 2013..which include selective estrogen receptor antagonists, aromatase inhibitors, retinoids, COX-2 inhibitors and metformin. The strategy is to use Chemopreventive Nanocells (CPNC) that encapsulate raloxifene, anastrazole, metformin, ..
- Development of New Therapeutics for Pancreatic Cancer ManagementRICHARD JOSEPH PIETRAS; Fiscal Year: 2013..New therapeutic strategies are urgently needed. Metformin is a widely prescribed drug used as first-line therapy for diabetes mellitus type 2, and is now reported to have ..
- Organic Cation Transporter PMAT: Physiological Function and Role in Drug DispositJoanne Wang; Fiscal Year: 2013..many structurally diverse cationic xenobiotics including the neurotoxin MPP+ and therapeutic drugs such as metformin. PMAT is highly expressed in the brain and the gastrointestinal tract, and has overlapping substrate specificity ..
- Effect of Metformin on Vascular and Mitochondrial Function in Type 1 DiabetesIrene E Schauer; Fiscal Year: 2013..The effect of insulin sensitizers such as metformin in T1D, especially on measures of blood vessel function and stiffness, measures that correlate with ..
- Dissecting the molecular mechanism of metformin actionAlexander A Soukas; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Metformin, a member of the biguanide class of drugs, is a first-line medication used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus, as ..
- Effectiveness of Second Line Hypoglycemic Medications Among VeteransChristianne Roumie; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): Effectiveness of second line hypoglycemic medications among veterans Guidelines recommend metformin as the initial treatment for diabetes mellitus (DM) unless contraindicated, and also recommend a treatment ..
- Prevention of mammary tumors by metformin in comparison to calorie restrictionMargot P Cleary; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcomes including noncompliance and weight regain leading to interest in calorie restriction mimetics including metformin. Here, we will directly compare the impact of calorie restriction to metformin treatment in a clinically ..
- Southern Community Cohort StudyWei Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2013..n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and other dietary factors), cigarette mentholation, and use of the commonly prescribed glycemic control medication metformin, in relation to cancer risk and cancer disparities.
- The Effect of Diet and Nutrients on the Progression and Treatment of Prostate CanGeorge Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..this response, and determine whether the effect of caloric restriction on PCa is recapitulated by rapamycin and metformin;(iv) ascertain the mechanism of AMPK pathway regulation by PML in PCa and the therapeutic implications of the ..
- Effectiveness of Immediate vs. Delayed Use of Metformin in New-Onset T2 DiabetesJOE VANDIVER SELBY; Fiscal Year: 2010..for initial pharmacotherapy in type 2 diabetes were modified in 2007 - to change from sulfonylureas to metformin as initial monotherapy, and from recommending an initial trial of medical nutrition therapy (MNT) and lifestyle ..
- Exercise Induced Biochemical and Anatomical AdaptationsJohn O Holloszy; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our sixth goal is to evaluate the possibility that treatment with metformin will stimulate mitochondrial biogenesis and GLUT4 expression in muscle...
- Novel AMPK Activators in Breast Cancer PreventionChing Shih Chen; Fiscal Year: 2012..and mechanistically validated derivatives will be tested for in vivo efficacy in comparison to Cpd 53 and metformin. Maximum tolerated doses for each agent will be determined, followed by evaluation of tumor suppressive activity,..
- Metformin as a novel chemopreventive agent for prostate cancerXin Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..Epidemiogical studies indicated that patients receiving diabetic drug metformin have lower prostate cancer risk and better prognosis and suggested that the metformin may have anti-neoplastic ..
- Effects of sleep duration and architecture on insulin sensitivityMADHU NAGARAJU RAO; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, thiazolidenediones target peripheral insulin resistance while metformin targets the liver...
- The Role of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseJeffrey D Browning; Fiscal Year: 2013..In the final aim, the ability of metformin, a proposed therapy for NAFLD, to augment hepatic mitochondrial function in individuals with NAFLD will be ..
- Targeting crosstalk between insulin and Gq signaling systems in pancreatic cancerJUAN ENRIQUE ROZENGURT; Fiscal Year: 2010..pathway provides a mechanism by which insulin enhances the responsiveness of pancreatic cells to GPCR agonists, Metformin, a widely used drug for treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus, negatively regulates mTOR function via AMPK ..
- Targeting Inflammation in Type 2 Diabetes: Clinical Trial Using SalsalateSteven E Shoelson; Fiscal Year: 2010..0%<HbA1c <9.5%), currently being treated with diet and exercise in combination with either SFU or metformin, will be continued on their current therapy...
- Pre-existing Diabetes and PregnancyCaitlin A Knox; Fiscal Year: 2013..safety of three most commonly utilized oral anti-diabetic drug classes in pregnant diabetic women (biguanide (metformin), sulfonylurea, or thiazolidinedione)...
- Sir2 Regulates AMPK and Lipid Metabolism in DiabetesMengwei Zang; Fiscal Year: 2012..protein kinase (AMPK) and its upstream kinase, LKB1, have been implicated in the therapeutic effect of metformin, an anti-diabetic drug used worldwide...
- Training-Muscle Blood Flow and Capillary DynamicsM Harold Laughlin; Fiscal Year: 2013..EDD, within and among T2D skmus, whether EX improves EDD in T2D skmus arterioles and determine whether EX and/or metformin treatment have positive interactions on EDD and INS receptor/second messenger signaling in EC of T2D skmus ..
- Mechanism of Metformin Action in Normal and PCOS Theca CellsJan M McAllister; Fiscal Year: 2012The use of the biguanide drug, metformin, is standard for young women with type 2 diabetes and is becoming prevalent for the treatment of hyperandrogenism and anovulation in women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)...
- Chemical Biology of Mitochondria and DiabetesBruce M Spiegelman; Fiscal Year: 2013..The only known direct target of metformin, one of the most useful agents for treating T2D, is a mitochondrial complex...
- Energetics &Breast Cancer: Obesity, Inflammation, Insulin Resistance &RiskRuth E Patterson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Project 3 will investigate the degree to which metformin, a lifestyle intervention, or both, can reduce breast cancer mortality among overweight/obese, postmenopausal ..
- Safety and Effectiveness Evaluations for DiabetesDONALD READ MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2013..For this proposal, we begin with a focus on the relative short-term and long-term safety of metformin, sulfonylurea, thiazolidinediones, and newer agents as well as a preliminary effectiveness analysis...
- A Narrowed Window for Targeting Metabolic Flexibility in Breast Cancer PreventionPepper J Schedin; Fiscal Year: 2013..cancer after menopause, while examining the impact of two relevant interventions targeting metabolic control, metformin and regular exercise, on obesity-associated tumor promotion...
- Excess androgen production in overweight pubertal girls--precursor to PCOSCHRISTINE MICHELE BURT SOLORZANO; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 3 will examine the potential efficacy of longer-term therapies (e.g., low-dose hydrocortisone, metformin, or spironolactone) to reduce obesity-related androgen excess in girls during all stages of puberty...
- Humanin and Type 2 DiabetesJILL P CRANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2012..with impaired glucose tolerance) at baseline, which planned to evaluate the effect of lifestyle modification and metformin therapy in diabetes risk...
- Iron reduction by phlebotomy for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetesDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..by lowering iron stores in a cohort of individuals with impaired glucose tolerance and diabetes controlled on metformin and/or DPP-4 inhibitor therapy...
- Circadian molecular regulation of the xenobiotic responseKatja A Lamia; Fiscal Year: 2013..Several drugs, including the anti-hypertensive statins (e.g. Lipitor) and the anti-diabetic drug metformin (e.g. Glucophage), are recommended to be taken at specific times of day...
- (PQA1)Molecular mechanisms by which the diabetic drug metformin kills cancer cellW Keith Miskimins; Fiscal Year: 2013..take advantage of, metabolic changes that are involved in cancer cell death induced by the common diabetic drug metformin. Metformin treatment of cancer cells leads to accumulation of dysfunctional mitochondria which is associated ..
- Mechanisms of ROS Balance and Cardiac Energy Metabolism in Diabetes MellitusSONIA DEL CARMEN CORTASSA; Fiscal Year: 2012..working cardiac muscle in a type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) rat model, focusing on the effects of insulin and metformin upon energy and ROS pathways...
- Beta-cell Function and Cognition in the Restoring Insulin Secretion (RISE) StudySuzanne Craft; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be randomize into 4 treatment arms: placebo, metformin, metformin plus liraglutide, or insulin glargine followed by metformin...
- TRANSPORTERS IN METFORMIN TREATMENT OF ENDOMETRIAL HYPERPLASIADhiren R Thakker; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Metformin, a generic oral anti-hyperglycemic, has been widely used to treat diabetes and gynecologic problems including ..
- Controlling Type 2 Diabetes with Proprietary Natural Extracts in Medical FoodsALEXANDER M GOSSLAU; Fiscal Year: 2013..of inflammatory metabolites and/or biomarkers for inflammation and T2D by WG0401 and WG0301 and compare to metformin and ibuprofen. Observation of a positive correlation supports our hypothesis. Aim 3...
- LKB1- AMPK pathway regulation of glucose metabolism and metformin action in liverREUBEN JAMES SHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..activated by low nutrients, exercise, adipokines such adiponectin, and by the widely used diabetes therapeutic metformin. Upon activation in liver, AMPK functions to reduce gluconeogenesis and lipogenesis through incompletely ..
- Linking partial and non-agonist induced dynamics to PPAR gamma functionsTRAVIS SHANE HUGHES; Fiscal Year: 2013..are more durable (prevent diabetes progression for a longer time) and more effective than other drugs such as metformin and glyburide making PPA interacting drugs a valuable treatment for diabetes...
- Regulation of Na absorption by NHE3 in the intestineCHANGHYON CHRIS YUN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our preliminary data show that metformin commonly used for glycemic control in type 2 diabetes inhibits NHE3 activity, further suggesting a causal role ..
- (PQA1) Novel epigenetic mechanism mediate metformin inhibition of prostate cancerXin Li; Fiscal Year: 2013..The overarching goal of this proposal is to elucidate a novel molecular mechanism that mediates metformin anti-tumor efficacy through epigenetic alterations in prostate cancer...
- Adipocyte insulin signaling and circulating adiponectin levelsROCIO INES PEREIRA; Fiscal Year: 2010..T2DM subjects will be treated for two months with calorie restriction, metformin, or a thiazolidinedione...
- 3/3-Improving Metabolic Parameters of Antipsychotic Child Treatment (IMPACT)Christoph U Correll; Fiscal Year: 2012..All participants will be randomized to one of three conditions: 1) continue current SGA (control group), 2) metformin + current SGA, or 3) staggered switch to aripiprazole with discontinuation of current SGA...
- 2/3-Improving Metabolic Parameters of Antipsychotic Child TreatmentLinmarie Sikich; Fiscal Year: 2012..All participants will be randomized to one of three conditions: 1) continue current SGA (control group), 2) metformin + current SGA, or 3) staggered switch to aripiprazole with discontinuation of current SGA...
- Hepatic Mitochondria and Insulin Resistance in Fatty Liver and Type 2 DiabetesRANDY SCOTT RECTOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) Determine the effectiveness of daily exercise vs. caloric restriction (with and without metformin) in the treatment of NAFLD and type 2 diabetes...
- 1/3-Improving Metabolic Parameters of Antipsychotic Child Treatment (IMPACT)Mark A Riddle; Fiscal Year: 2012..All participants will be randomized to one of three conditions: 1) continue current SGA (control group), 2) metformin + current SGA, or 3) staggered switch to aripiprazole with discontinuation of current SGA...
- Integrative Metabolic Adaptations to Enviromental and Nutritional ChallengeMORRIS JAY BIRNBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2013..metabolism responds to the stress of obesity, but also asks how it is normalized by the antidiabetic drug metformin. The projects are supported by three Cores that provide histochemical analysis, generation of genetically ..
- Targeting Altered Redox Metabolism in Lapatinib-resistant Breast CancerKEISHA NICOLE HARDEMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..If we are successful, our results may open the door to novel combination therapy including lapatinib and metabolic inhibitors such as metformin, which may improve performance of anti-HER2 targeted therapy and inhibit resistance.
- Efficacy Of Metformin In The Methylnitrosourea-Induced Model Of ERTerisa Davis; Fiscal Year: 2013Pharmacoepidemiology studies indicated that metformin (a generic biguanide currently widely used in the treatment of type II diabetes with demonstrated long-term safety) is associated with decreased cancer burdens in diabetics, when ..
- Acute pancreatitis and obesityGiamila Fantuzzi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The effect of metformin or thiazolidinediones- two drugs commonly used in insulin-resistant patients - on AP severity as well as ..
- Clinical Research on Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver DiseaseJOEL EDWARD LAVINE; Fiscal Year: 2013..study called "TONIC", has 173 subjects enrolled for a 2-year treatment, assessing safety and efficacy of metformin or Vitamin E versus placebo...
- Glycemic Reduction Approaches for Treating Diabetes: An Effectiveness StudyDavid M Nathan; Fiscal Year: 2011..duration) T2DM that will compare the metabolic effects of five common glucose- lowering drugs when combined with metformin. Recruitment will be stratified to include patients who have been treated with metformin (n=5,500) for up to ..
- Effects of weight and insulin sensitivity on reproductive function in PCOSLEANNE MAREE REDMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..trial in obese women with PCOS to determine the effect of: a) exercise training, b) 25% dietary restriction c) metformin and d) no intervention (control group) on neuroendocrine function (pulsatile LH secretion), reproductive ..
- STN/Three Individual Projects: COATS, METS, CRSTNScott Stroup; Fiscal Year: 2009..METS: Metformin in the Treatment of Antipsychotic-Induced Weight Gain in Schizophrenia Abstract: Life expectancy for individuals ..
- Caveolin-1 and vascular dysfunctionLuminita Pojoga; Fiscal Year: 2013..Third, we will determine in vivo whether insulin sensitization (by metformin) will affect the vascular dysfunction phenotype in the generalized cav-1 KO model...
- Translational Research in Polycystic Ovary SyndromeJohn E Nestler; Fiscal Year: 2012..develop PCOS, and the utility of this marker in identifying girls with premature pubarche who would respond to metformin to prevent progression to PCOS. Project II (Dr...
- Xenobiotic Transporter Regulation and IRIP FunctionYan Shu; Fiscal Year: 2013..cation transporter 1 (OCT1) has been demonstrated by us as a key determinant of the therapeutic response to metformin, one of top ten prescription drugs in the United States...
- Metformin for Reduction of Obesity Associated Breast Cancer RiskH H Sherry Chow; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Metformin, a widely used antidiabetic drug, exerts favorable effects on multiple metabolic disturbances which may lead to ..
- The Distinct Role of CBP and p300 in Regulating Hepatic Glucose ProductionLing He; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have shown that both the anti-diabetic agent metformin and insulin phosphorylate the transcriptional co- activator CBP at serine 436 via PKC[unreadable]/[unreadable], ..
- Metformin as a Novel Chemotheraeutic Strategy for the Treatment of Endometrial CaVICTORIA LIN BAE-JUMP; Fiscal Year: 2013..lines and primary cultures from endometrial tumors, gene expression profiling, and a clinical trial, to assess metformin as a drug for endometrial cancer therapy...
- Race and Long-Term Diabetes Self-Management in an HMODennis Ross Degnan; Fiscal Year: 2004..0, or use of a diabetes drug (insulin, sulfonylurea, or metformin)...
- MECHANISMS OF ACTION IN DPP INTERVENTIONSAbbas Kitabchi; Fiscal Year: 2001..in high risk individuals, the efficacy of three intervention methods (intensive behavior modification, metformin, and troglitazone) vs control placebo group in preventing or delaying conversion of impaired glucose tolerance (..
- ROSIGLITAZONE IN POLYCYSTIC OVARY SYNDROMENicholas Cataldo; Fiscal Year: 2002..Of the two marketed drugs tested to date, metformin has not been consistently effective, while troglitazone is effective but has been found to have an unacceptable ..
- Combination metformin and oral contraceptive for PCOSPAULINA ESSAH; Fiscal Year: 2006..Specifically, we will conduct a double-blind, randomized study that will determine if combination therapy of Metformin and ethinyl estradiol 35 mcg norgestimate, 0...
- INSULIN RESISTANCE IN THE HIV LIPODYSTROPHY SYNDROMEColleen Hadigan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The second aim of this proposal will be to investigate whether the use of an insulin sensitizing agent, metformin, will effectively reduce insulin resistance in HIV-infected patients with the lipodystrophy syndrome...
- Ginkgo Biloba Extract & The Insulin Resistance SyndromeGeorge Kudolo; Fiscal Year: 2004..to determine (a) the effect of ingesting Ginkgo biloba on the pharmacokinetics of glipizide, pioglitazone and metformin and (b) how the interaction between Ginkgo biloba and the three hypoglycemic agents affect the three homeostatic ..
- IGF INDUCED TOXICITY IN PREIMPLANTATION EMBRYOSKelle Moley; Fiscal Year: 2007..to determine how an insulin-resistant state adversely affects pregnancy outcome and if insulin sensitizers like metformin have direct effects on blastocyst metabolism...
- UNITED KINGDOM PROSPECTIVE DIABETES STUDYRury Holman; Fiscal Year: 2000..0 and 8.9 mmol/l and haemoglobin Alc 6.5 and 7.2% respectively). Therapy with metformin is also being studied...
- The role of PKC epsilon in alcoholic liver diseaseJONATHAN PHILLIP KAISER; Fiscal Year: 2010..e., fibrosis and cirrhosis). In a previous study done by our laboratory, it was shown that metformin, an insulin sensitizing drug, blocks steatosis caused by ethanol, suggesting that insulin resistance could play ..