Genomes and Genes
Summary: A bacteriostatic antibacterial agent that interferes with folic acid synthesis in susceptible bacteria. Its broad spectrum of activity has been limited by the development of resistance. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p208)
Publications191 found, 100 shown here
- Pharmaceutical retention mechanisms by nanofiltration membranesLong D Nghiem
Environmental Engineering, University of Wollongong, New South Wales 2522, Australia
Environ Sci Technol 39:7698-705. 2005This study investigates the retention mechanisms of three pharmaceuticals-sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, and ibuprofen-by nanofiltration (NF) membranes...
- Effects of the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole on groundwater bacterial enrichmentJennifer C Underwood
United States Geological Survey, 3215 Marine Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Environ Sci Technol 45:3096-101. 2011The effects of "trace" (environmentally relevant) concentrations of the antimicrobial agent sulfamethoxazole (SMX) on the growth, nitrate reduction activity, and bacterial composition of an enrichment culture prepared with ..
- Comparison of the pharmacokinetics of sulfamethoxazole in male chinese volunteers at low altitude and acute exposure to high altitude versus subjects living chronically at high altitude: an open-label, controlled, prospective studyXiang Yang Li
Department of Pharmacology, College of Life Science, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, China
Clin Ther 31:2744-54. 2009b>Sulfamethoxazole is an antibacterial sulfonamide used primarily for the treatment of a wide variety of bacterial infections in combination with trimethoprim...
- Cross-reactivity in drug hypersensitivity reactions to sulfasalazine and sulfamethoxazoleAnna Zawodniak
Division of Allergology, Clinic for Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 153:152-6. 2010..Therefore, we aimed to analyze in vitro the cross-reactivity between the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole and the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine.
- Non-covalent presentation of sulfamethoxazole to human CD4+ T cells is independent of distinct human leucocyte antigen-bound peptidesC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology/Allergology, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Clin Exp Allergy 32:1635-43. 2002..processing- and metabolism-independent pathway for the presentation of allergenic drugs such as lidocaine and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) to drug-specific T cells...
- Influence of reduced glutathione on the proliferative response of sulfamethoxazole-specific and sulfamethoxazole-metabolite-specific human CD4+ T-cellsC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Br J Pharmacol 132:623-30. 20011. Hypersensitivity to the drug sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is thought to be a consequence of bioactivation to the hydroxylamine metabolite (SMX-NHOH) and further oxidation to the ultimate reactive metabolite, nitroso-sulfamethoxazole (SMX-NO)...
- Analysis of Pneumocystis jirovecii DHPS alleles implicated in sulfamethoxazole resistance using an Escherichia coli model systemPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia
Microb Drug Resist 11:1-8. 2005..Two sulfa drugs (sulfachloropyridazine and sulfathiazole) were identified that had higher inhibitory potential than sulfamethoxazole, which is currently the preferred treatment for PCP.
- Effects of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of AIDS-associated P. carinii pneumoniaJ Helweg-Larsen
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Lancet 354:1347-51. 1999..We assessed whether mutations in the DHPS gene of P. carinii were associated with exposure to sulpha drugs and influenced outcome from PCP...
- Novel non-labile covalent binding of sulfamethoxazole reactive metabolites to cultured human lymphoid cellsMukesh Summan
Laboratory of Comparative Pharmacogenetics, Atlantic Veterinary College, PEI Health Research Institute, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, C1A 4P3
Chem Biol Interact 142:155-73. 2002b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) causes rare hypersensitivity syndrome reactions characterized by fever and multi-organ toxicity...
- The role of horizontal gene transfer in the spread of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Europe and CanadaMatthew T Blahna
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:666-72. 2006OBJECTIVES: To describe the distribution of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance genes and the role of horizontal gene transfer and clonal expansion in recent increases of antibiotic resistance rates among uropathogenic Escherichia ..
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia resistant to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole: an increasing problemAsma Marzouq Al-Jasser
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Hospital, Box X 966, P O Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:23. 2006..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP - SXT) is recommended as the agent of choice for the treatment of S. maltophilia infections...
- On the occasional biodegradation of pharmaceuticals in the activated sludge process: the example of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazoleP Drillia
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
J Hazard Mater 122:259-65. 2005b>Sulfamethoxazole, a common antibiotic, was found to be biodegradable under aerobic conditions. The fate of sulfamethoxazole in the activated sludge process was studied using a Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR)...
- Dihydropteroate synthase mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci can affect sulfamethoxazole resistance in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae modelPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, 343 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2617-23. 2004..synthase (DHPS) mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci have been associated epidemiologically with resistance to sulfamethoxazole (SMX). Since P. jiroveci cannot be cultured, inherent drug resistance cannot be measured...
- Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole are selective inhibitors of CYP2C8 and CYP2C9, respectivelyXia Wen
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 30:631-5. 2002To evaluate the inhibitory effects of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole on cytochrome P450 (P450) isoforms, selective marker reactions for CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4 were examined in human liver ..
- Cloning and molecular characterization of three arylamine N-acetyltransferase genes from Bacillus anthracis: identification of unusual enzymatic properties and their contribution to sulfamethoxazole resistanceBenjamin Pluvinage
Laboratoire de Cytophysiologie et Toxicologie Cellulaire, EA 1553, Universite Paris 7 Denis Diderot, 75005 Paris, France
Biochemistry 46:7069-78. 2007..displayed strong NAT activity toward several prototypic NAT substrates, including the sulfonamide antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX)...
- Dosing regimens of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) for melioidosisAllen C Cheng
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4193-9. 2009..PK) simulation study was performed to determine the optimal dosing of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [TMP-SMX]) used in current eradication regimens in Thailand and Australia...
- Dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthase genotypes associated with in vitro resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to pyrimethamine, trimethoprim, sulfadoxine, and sulfamethoxazoleInsaf Khalil
Center for Medical Parasitology, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Denmark
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:586-9. 2003..isolates were tested in vitro against pyrimethamine (PYR), trimethoprim (TRM), sulfadoxine (SDX), and sulfamethoxazole (SMX), and their dihydrofolate reductase (dhfr) and dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) genotypes were determined...
- Comparison of short-term treatment regimen of ciprofloxacin versus long-term treatment regimens of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or norfloxacin for uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections: a randomized, multicentre, open-label, prospective studyJosé Luis Arredondo-García
Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia, Mexico City, Mexico
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:840-3. 2004..uncomplicated cystitis in ambulatory pre-menopausal women: ciprofloxacin 250 mg orally twice daily for 3 days, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole 160/800 mg orally twice daily for 7 days, and norfloxacin 400 mg orally twice daily for 7 days.
- Prevalence and predictors of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolates in MichiganPatricia D Brown
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1061-6. 2002Resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) has increased. Risk factors for resistance and the impact on clinical failure have been poorly described...
- In vitro activity of caspofungin combined with sulfamethoxazole against clinical isolates of Aspergillus sppAya Yekutiel
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University, Ramat-Aviv 69978, Tel-Aviv, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3279-83. 2004Caspofungin (CAS) inhibits fungal cell wall synthesis. Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) inhibits folate biosynthesis and is active in vitro against Aspergillus spp...
- Continuous on-line concentration based on dynamic pH junction for trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis combined with flow injection analysis systemLiuyin Fan
Department of Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu Province 730000, PR China
J Chromatogr A 1062:133-7. 2005..on-line concentration approach based on dynamic pH junction for the analysis of trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis (CE) combined with flow injection analysis is developed in ..
- Attempts to eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization with the use of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, rifampin, and bacitracinJ S Roccaforte
Medical Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105
Am J Infect Control 16:141-6. 1988..9 antibiotics preceded the first MRSA culture. The usual regimen (mean, 6.0 days) was oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, 160/800 mg twice daily, oral rifampin, 600 mg once daily, and bacitracin ointment three times a day...
- The Escherichia coli mazEF suicide module mediates thymineless deathBoaz Sat
Department of Molecular Biology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Bacteriol 185:1803-7. 2003..Our results, which describe thymine starvation as a trigger for a built-in death program, have implications for programmed cell death in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes...
- Dihydropteroate synthase gene mutations in Pneumocystis and sulfa resistanceLaurence Huang
University of California San Francisco, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1721-8. 2004..Sulfa drugs, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) and dapsone are mainstays of PCP treatment and prophylaxis...
- Microcosm evaluation of the effects of an eight pharmaceutical mixture to the aquatic macrophytes Lemna gibba and Myriophyllum sibiricumRichard A Brain
Department of Environmental Biology, Centre for Toxicology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, N1G 2W1, Canada
Aquat Toxicol 70:23-40. 2004..12,000 L aquatic microcosms treated with eight common pharmaceuticals (atorvastatin, acetaminophen, caffeine, sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, levofloxacin, sertraline, and trimethoprim) at total (summed) molar concentrations of 0, 0...
- [Determination of sulfamethoxazole in compound sulfamethoxazole tablet by first derivative ratio spectrometry]Z Sun
No. 1 Hospital of Lianyungang, Jiangsu, Lianyungang 222002
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 21:713-5. 2001The first derivative ratio spectrometry is used for the determination of sulfamethoxazole in compound sulfamethoxazole tablet...
- [Drug exanthema in connection with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole treatment, triggered by leech therapy]Andre Michael Beer
Modellabteilung für Naturheilkunde, Klinik Blankenstein, Hattingen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 12:32-6. 2005..Eight days before beginning of the leech therapy a five-day antibiotic therapy with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (Cotrim forte) had been administered to treat an uncomplicated urinary infection...
- Urinary tract infections in South Croatia: aetiology and antimicrobial resistanceZvonimir Barisić
Department of Microbiology, Public Health Institute, Vukovarska 46, 21000, Split, Croatia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:61-4. 2003..15% to the fluoroquinolones. A high methicillin-resistance rate was found among S. aureus (61.22%) and coagulase negative staphylococci (41.48)...
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 Shiga toxin-encoding bacteriophages: integrations, excisions, truncations, and evolutionary implicationsNurmohammad Shaikh
Children s Hospital and the University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Bacteriol 185:3596-605. 2003..coli O157:H7 strains, the presumed progenitors of stx(1)(+)/stx(2)(+) E. coli O157:H7. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole promotes the excision of all, and ciprofloxacin and fosfomycin significantly promote the excision of a subset ..
- Leptospira infection in two black rhinoceroses (Diceros bicornis michaeli)D L Neiffer
Pittsburgh Zoo, One Wild Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 32:476-86. 2001..Leptospira kirschneri serovar grippotyphosa was postulated as the etiologic agent, with transmission probably occurring through wallow contamination by wild raccoons (Procyon lotor)...
- Comparative antimicrobial susceptibility of respiratory tract pathogensDavid Felmingham
G R Micro Ltd, 7 9 William Road, London NW1 3ER, UK
Chemotherapy 50:3-10. 2004..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) and tetracycline resistance, either individually or combined with macrolide resistance as multiple ..
- Appropriate antibiotic utilization in seniors prior to hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia is associated with decreased in-hospital mortalityD Johnson
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Pharm Ther 29:231-9. 2004..We analysed the association of mortality and prescription of antibiotics prior to hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia...
- Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis due to sulfamethoxazol with positive lymphocyte transformation test (LTT)Mark David Anliker
Allergy Unit, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 13:66-8. 2003..LTT may play a possible role in the determination of drug allergy in AGEP despite negative skin testing...
- A case of brucellar septic arthritis of the knee with a prolonged clinical courseErgin Ayaslioglu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Kirikkale University Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 25:69-71. 2005..We report a case of brucellar monoarthritis of the knee with a prolonged clinical course despite efficient antibiotic treatment...
- Teaching NeuroImage: Oculomasticatory myorhythmia: pathognomonic phenomenology of Whipple diseaseFredy J Revilla
Department of Neurology, Movement Disorders Center, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, MSB 4503, Cincinnati, OH 45267-0525, USA
Neurology 70:e25. 2008
- Oropharyngeal colonization by Streptococcus pneumoniae among HIV-infected adults in Uganda: assessing prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibilityDavid B Blossom
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Infect Dis 10:458-64. 2006..To evaluate characteristics of Streptococcus pneumoniae associated with oropharyngeal colonization in the Ugandan adult HIV population...
- Micellar electrokinetic chromatography method for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and their main metabolites in human serumJuan José Berzas Nevado
Regional Institute for Applied Scientific Research, University of Castilla La Mancha, Avenida de Camilo José Cela, 10, 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
J Sep Sci 28:543-8. 2005..sample clean-up and a micellar electrokinetic chromatographic method, is presented for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and their main metabolites by using 20 mmol L(-1) borate buffer (pH 9...
- An analysis of a community-acquired pathogen in a Kentucky community: methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusForest W Arnold
University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40292, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 103:206-10. 2005..Reviewing risk factors in adult patients with CA-MRSA in Kentucky has not been reported...
- Prospective randomized trial of empiric therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMary Jo Cenizal
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2628-30. 2007To evaluate empirical therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a randomized, prospective, open-..
- Pulmonary nocardiosis: risk factors and outcomesRaquel Martínez Tomás
Pneumology Service, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia, and Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Respirology 12:394-400. 2007..which can behave either as opportunistic or primary pathogens. The present study identifies the risk factors for PN, clinical symptoms and radiographic features and the factors that affect its prognosis...
- Postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis due to community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusKaren M Sokolov
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:535-8. 2007..A new, serious community-acquired MRSA manifestation, postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis is described...
- Multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana: a case report and review of the literatureMelanie W Pound
School of Pharmacy, Campbell University, Buies Creek, NC 27506, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:2066-70. 2007..To describe and report a case of multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana associated with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Intermittent unexplained abdominal pain: is it porphyria?Joseph R Bloomer
Liver Center and Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0005, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1255-8; quiz 1244. 2007
- Update on prevalence and treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionsCindy A Loffler
University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, 521 Parnassus Ave, C 152, San Francisco, CA 94122, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5:961-81. 2007..for treatment of MRSA infections, including older drugs, such as clindamycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole. Newer agents, such as linezolid and daptomycin, are aiming to improve on the poor cure rates found with ..
- A rare case of lung coinfection by Streptomyces cinereoruber and Haemophilus influenzae in a patient with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: characterization at species level using molecular techniquesAngel Manteca
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Instituto Universitario de Biotecnologia de Asturias IUBA, Universidad de Oviedo, 33006 Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:307-11. 2008..Restriction fragment length polymorphism, morphologic, and biochemical characteristics have confirmed their identity...
- [Drug-induced cholestasis]Yasuyuki Searashi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Jikei University School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 65:532-7. 2007
- Severe hypoglycemia associated with use of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole in a patient with chronic renal insufficiencyJamie M Rosini
Ann Pharmacother 42:593-4. 2008
- Determination of six anti-infectives in wastewater using tandem solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryPedro A Segura
Departement de Chimie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, CanadaH3C 3J7
J Environ Monit 9:307-13. 2007..Mean flows of anti-infectives were estimated from effluent concentrations and it was found that large amounts (>118 g day(-1) up to 830 g day(-1)) are discharged in the receiving waters of the St Lawrence River...
- Simultaneous determination and validation of antimicrobials in plasma and tissue of actinomycetoma by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array and fluorescence detectionNorma Cavazos Rocha
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Facultad de Medicina, UANL, Mexico
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:1775-81. 2007..antimicrobials proposed for the treatment of actinomycotic mycetoma: amoxicillin, trimethoprim, linezolid, sulfamethoxazole and garenoxacin. Separation of the analytes was achieved on an Atlantis dC18 column (150 mm x 4...
- Ecthyma gangrenosum in a patient with toxic epidermal necrolysisDouglas M Downey
Department of Surgery, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
J Burn Care Res 28:198-202. 2007..We present a case of a patient admitted to the burn unit for toxic epidermal necrolysis who developed pseudomonal bacteremia with ecthyma gangrenosum...
- Occurrence and sorption behavior of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in activated sludge treatmentAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 39:3981-9. 2005..The most predominant macrolide and sulfonamide antimicrobials were clarithromycin and sulfamethoxazole, respectively...
- Evaluating the biodegradability of sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim at different stages of sewage treatmentSandra Perez
The State University of New York at Buffalo, Chemistry Department, 611 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1361-7. 2005The aerobic biodegradability of four antimicrobials (sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim) was investigated in sewage collected at four treatment stages (primary treatment, activated sludge treatment, aerobic ..
- Conjunctival flora in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionYasuyuki Yamauchi
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Medical University Hospital, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 13:301-4. 2005..Also, to assess the prophylactic effect of oral clarithromycin against Mycobacterium avium complex on the conjunctival flora of HIV-positive patients...
- High-performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in bovine milk using an on-line clean-up columnA V Pereira
, Universidade Estadual de Ponta Grossa, 84030-900, Ponta Grossa, PR, Brazil
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 826:139-46. 2005A bidimensional HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and trimethoprim (TMP) in bovine milk has been developed and validated...
- Antibiotic resistance in bacteria from shrimp farming in mangrove areasTuan Xuan Le
Centre for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, Vietnam National University Hanoi, Quoc Tu Giam St, Vietnam
Sci Total Environ 349:95-105. 2005..to investigate bacterial resistance to Norfloxacin (NFXC), Oxolinic Acid (OXLA), Trimethoprim (TMP) and Sulfamethoxazole (SMX), which were found in four shrimp farming locations in mangrove areas in Vietnam...
- Evaluating the vulnerability of surface waters to antibiotic contamination from varying wastewater treatment plant dischargesAngela L Batt
Department of Chemistry, The State University of New York at Buffalo, 608 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, NY 14260 3000, USA
Environ Pollut 142:295-302. 2006..b>Sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, ciprofloxacin, tetracycline, and clindamycin were detected in the effluents at concentrations ..
- Bartonella henselae bacilli detected in vitrectomy aspirates in a patient with massive vitreous opacity with total retinal detachmentToshihiko Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama City, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 14:47-9. 2006..To present endophthalmitis-like massive vitreous opacity as a manifestation of cat-scratch disease...
- [Inguinal swelling: pressure-sensitive, overheated. A 66-year-old patient, pensioner in Portugal]V Orelli
Medizinische Abteilung, Bezirksspital, Affoltern am Albis
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:1845-7. 2006
- N. paucivorans infection presenting as a brain abscessShah-Naz Hayat Khan
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 33:426-7. 2006
- Hepatic disposition of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazoleS Sahin
Faculty of Pharmacy, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 30:135-40. 2008Hepatic disposition of trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and the liver distributional volumes were investigated in the in situ perfused rat liver preparation...
- Bacterial infections in cirrhosis: epidemiological changes with invasive procedures and norfloxacin prophylaxisJavier Fernandez
Liver Unit, IMD, and Department of Microbiology and IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 35:140-8. 2002..01. The rate of culture-positive spontaneous bacterial peritonitis caused by trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-resistant gram-negative bacilli was also very high in patients on long-term norfloxacin administration (44% ..
- Septicaemic pasteurellosis in ostriches (Struthio camelus) in central Saudi ArabiaM G Elfaki
Department of Veterinary Medicine, King Saud University, Gassim Branch, Buraidah, Saudi Arabia
Vet J 163:218-21. 2002
- Pneumocystis carinii infection in bilateral aural polyps in a human immunodeficiency virus-positive patientC V Praveen
Department of Otolaryngology, Farnborough Hospital, Bromley NHS Trust, Kent, UK
J Laryngol Otol 116:288-90. 2002..We report a case of P carinii infection presenting as bilateral aural polyps, otitis media and mastoiditis in human immunodeficiency (HIV)-positive patient with no history of prior or concomitant P carinii infection...
- [A case of empyema caused by Salmonella enteritidis in a patient with sequela of pulmonary tuberculosis]H Suzuki
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome General Hospital, Japan
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 70:382-5. 1996..Based on the in vitro sensitivity test, sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim was started. However, the efficacy of the antimicrobia was not sufficient...
- Evaluation of the effect of sulphametoxazole and trimethoprim in patients with Machado-Joseph diseaseM Correia
Neurology Department, , Porto, Portugal
Rev Neurol 23:632-4. 1995..The results showed that Bactrim had a beneficial effect on gait and coordination and that it would be worthwhile undertaking other trials, taking into account the great clinical variability of MJD...
- Second derivative spectrophotometric determination of trimethoprime and sulfamethoxazole in the presence of hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin (HP-beta-CD)Gladys Granero
Departamento de Farmacia, , , Ciudad Universitaria, , Argentina
J Pharm Biomed Anal 29:51-9. 2002..rapid second-derivative spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous analysis of trimethoprime (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SM) is described...
- Antibiotic resistance among Shigella species isolated in Tehran, IranJ Nikkah
Department of Infectious Diseases, Buali Hospital, Tehran, Iran
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 82:481-3. 1988..Resistance to nalidixic acid was not encountered. In view of the fact that this disorder tends to be a self-limiting condition in Iran, it is advisable to be selective and cautious in the use of antibiotics for treatment...
- Clinical and pathologic features of Mycobacterium fortuitum infections. An emerging pathogen in patients with AIDSM B Smith
Division of Microbiology, Dept of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555-074, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 116:225-32. 2001..Definitive therapy after culture identification resulted in complete resolution of infection in all patients except 1...
- [A case of pulmonary nocardiosis associated with middle lobe atelectasis]S Kuroki
Saga Medical School
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 64:243-8. 1990..Nocardia asteroides was isolated from her sputum and bronchial lavage fluid. Administration of sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim (ST) improved her symptoms and Nocardia asteroides were rapidly eliminated from her sputum...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Haemophilus influenzae among children in Beijing, China, 1999-2000Y Y Hu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Beijing Children s Hospital, P R China
Acta Paediatr 91:136-40. 2002..Sulphamethoxazole/ trimethoprim resistance rates increased rapidly compared with those in the 1999 data. Further surveillance investigations are important for the choice of empiric therapy of acute respiratory tract infection...
- The importance of the removal of the intrauterine device in genital colonization by actinomycesI Bonacho
Gynecol Obstet Invest 52:119-23. 2001..Both groups were treated with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. A total of 43 patients were included...
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of community-acquired, antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in a Zambian paediatric populationA Woolfson
Department of Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, England
Bull World Health Organ 75:453-62. 1997..Antibacterial resistance was found in 34.1% of the isolates; resistance to tetracycline, penicillin, sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol occurred in 23.0%, 14.3%, 12.7%, and 3.9% of the isolates, respectively...
- Simultaneous dissolution profiles of two drugs in pharmaceutical formulations by an FIA manifoldA Moreno Gálvez
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad de Valencia, c Moliner 50, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 27:1027-36. 2002..The analytical errors, when the concentration of one drug is very low or very high, are also checked. A binary mixture in commercially available formulations of solid oral administration of sulphametoxazole and trimethoprim is presented...
- Viable but nonculturable uropathogenic bacteria are present in the mouse urinary tract following urinary tract infection and antibiotic therapyB Rivers
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 282230001, USA
Urol Res 29:60-6. 2001..These data indicate that the inoculated uropathogenic E. coli was not eliminated by antibiotic therapy, and suggest that these bacteria may escape detection by current standard culturability assays because they are VBNC...
- Antibiotic resistance from wastewater oxidation pondsHeather Mispagel
University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine, Athens, USA
Water Environ Res 77:2996-3002. 2005..A public awareness campaign was initiated by the author to encourage proper use and disposal of antibiotics, as flushing them is a common practice in the United States...
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis following combination of methotrexate and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazoleC H Yang
Department of Dermatology, and Department of Pediatrics, Division of Hematology and Oncology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Dermatol 39:621-3. 2000..In addition, oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole was given regularly to prevent Pneumocystis carinii infection...
- Molecular characterization of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Typhimurium isolates from swineWondwossen Abebe Gebreyes
Department of Farm Animal Health Resources Management, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27606, USA
J Clin Microbiol 40:2813-22. 2002..The first was resistance to ampicillin, chloramphenicol, streptomycin, sulfamethoxazole, and tetracycline (the AmCmStSuTe phenotype; 36...
- Otitis media-related antibiotic prescribing patterns, outcomes, and expenditures in a pediatric medicaid populationS Berman
Department of Pediatrics, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pediatrics 100:585-92. 1997..However, only limited data are available on medical effectiveness of antibiotic prescribing patterns for otitis media and their associated expenditures or the factors that influence antibiotic prescribing...
- Laboratory detection methods for methicillin resistance in coagulase negative Staphylococcus isolated from ophthalmic infectionsAdália Dias Dourado Oliveira
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Universidade Federal de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Bras Oftalmol 70:667-75. 2007....
- Multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Muenchen from pigs and humans and potential interserovar transfer of antimicrobial resistanceWondwossen A Gebreyes
Department of Population Health and Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough St, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:503-11. 2005..enterica serovar Typhimurium strains among pigs with resistance to ampicillin, kanamycin, streptomycin, sulfamethoxazole, and tetracycline (resistance [R] type AKSSuT) and resistance to amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, ampicillin, ..
- New enterovirulent Escherichia coli serogroup 64474 showing antigenic and genotypic relationships to Shigella boydii 16Armando Navarro
Departamento de Salud Publica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Ciudad Universitaria, Mexico City DF 04510, Mexico
J Med Microbiol 59:453-61. 2010..coli strains showed antimicrobial resistance to piperacillin only, one (4 %) to piperacillin and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, one (4 %) to ciprofloxacin, nitrofurantoin and piperacillin, and two (9 %) strains were resistant to ..
- Susceptibilities to levofloxacin in Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis clinical isolates from children: results from 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 TRUST studies in the United StatesJames A Karlowsky
Focus Technologies, Herndon, Virginia 20171, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:1790-7. 2003..pneumoniae from children, resistance to penicillins, cephalosporins, macrolides, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (SXT) increases on an annual basis...
- Characterization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, vancomycin-resistant enterococci and extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in intensive care units in Canada: Results of the Canadian National Intensive Care Unit (CAN-George G Zhanel
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Can J Infect Dis Med Microbiol 19:243-9. 2008..Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli and vancomycin-resistant enterococci (VRE) are important hospital pathogens in Canada and worldwide...
- High rates of multiple antibiotic resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae from healthy children living in isolated rural communities: association with cephalosporin use and intrafamilial transmissionM H Samore
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Pediatrics 108:856-65. 2001....
- High incidence of antimicrobial resistant organisms including extended spectrum beta-lactamase producing Enterobacteriaceae and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in nasopharyngeal and blood isolates of HIV-infected children from Cape Town, SouthMark F Cotton
Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Health Sciences, Stellenbosch University, Cape Town South Africa
BMC Infect Dis 8:40. 2008..aim was to describe the organisms and antimicrobial resistance patterns in children enrolled in a prospective study comparing daily and three times weekly trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) and isoniazid (INH) or placebo prophylaxis.
- Susceptibilities of Haemophilus influenzae, Streptococcus pneumoniae, including serotype 19A, and Moraxella catarrhalis paediatric isolates from 2005 to 2007 to commonly used antibioticsChristopher J Harrison
Pediatric Infectious Diseases Section, Children s Mercy Hospital and Clinics, and the University of Missouri Kansas City, Kansas City, MO, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 63:511-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to evaluate susceptibility to common paediatric antibiotics for Streptococcus pneumoniae, non-typeable Haemophilus influenzae and Moraxella catarrhalis isolated from 2005 through 2007...
- Clinical efficacy of first- and second-line treatments for HIV-associated Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia: a tri-centre cohort studyJannik Helweg-Larsen
Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:1282-90. 2009First-line therapy for Pneumocystis jirovecii pneumonia (PCP) is trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole. Few data exist to guide the choice of second-line therapy for patients failing or developing toxicity to first-line therapy.
- Memantine-induced myoclonus and delirium exacerbated by trimethoprimDan Moellentin
Eastern Maine Medical Center, Inpatient Pharmacy, 489 State St, PO Box 404, Bangor, ME 04401, USA
Ann Pharmacother 42:443-7. 2008..To report a case of myoclonus and delirium seen in a patient taking a combination of memantine and trimethoprim...
- Epidemiology and antibiotic susceptibility of bacteria causing skin and soft tissue infections in the USA and Europe: a guide to appropriate antimicrobial therapyMark E Jones
Focus Technologies, Dwarsdijk 30, 3612AP Tienhoven, Netherlands
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:406-19. 2003..For P. aeruginosa piperacillin-tazobactam, amikacin, imipenem and ceftazidime were the most active compounds tested irrespective of region. Surveillance data should be considered when selecting empirical therapy for treating SSTI...
- Successful prophylaxis against Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in HIV-infected children using smaller than recommended dosages of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazoleR G Fisher
Department of Pediatrics, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 15:263-9. 2001..No dose-ranging studies were ever performed; therefore, the amount of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) needed to suppress PCP in children with HIV/AIDS is not known...
- Comparison of antimicrobial in vitro activities against Streptococcus pneumoniae independent of MIC susceptibility breakpoints using MIC frequency distribution curves, scattergrams and linear regression analysesR J Fass
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public Health, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:609-15. 2001..MICs of penicillin G, ampicillin/sulbactam, ceftriaxone, cefuroxime, erythromycin, tetracycline, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, trovafloxacin and moxifloxacin were determined for 646 strains...
- Isolation, molecular characterization and antimicrobial resistance patterns of Salmonella and Escherichia coli isolates from meat-based fast food in LebanonSteve Harakeh
Department of Biology, American University of Beirut, PO Box 11 0236, Beirut, Lebanon
Sci Total Environ 341:33-44. 2005..the various strains were evaluated using the following antimicrobials: Oxacillin, Teicoplanin, Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, Gentamicin, Clindamycin, Cefotaxime, Cefuroxime, Erythromycin, and Vancomycin...
- [The rate of inducible clindamycin resistance and susceptibilities to other antimicrobial agents in staphylococci]Vildan Avkan Oğuz
Dokuz Eylul Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Izmir
Mikrobiyol Bul 43:37-44. 2009..Inducible clindamycin resistance must be anticipated carefully while considering therapeutic options especially for CoNS infections...
- Prospective randomized trial of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole versus pyrimethamine and sulfadiazine in the treatment of ocular toxoplasmosisMasoud Soheilian
Ocular Inflammatory and Uveitis Service, Department of Ophthalmology, and Ophthalmic Research Center, Labbafinejad Medical Center, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ophthalmology 112:1876-82. 2005To compare the efficacy of the classic treatment of ocular toxoplasmosis (pyrimethamine, sulfadiazine, and prednisolone) with a regimen consisting of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (co-trimoxazole) plus prednisolone.
- Susceptibility of Bacillus anthracis, Bacillus cereus, Bacillus mycoides, Bacillus pseudomycoides and Bacillus thuringiensis to 24 antimicrobials using Sensititre automated microbroth dilution and Etest agar gradient diffusion methodsVicki A Luna
Center for Biological Defense, College of Public Health, University of South Florida, 3602 Spectrum Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:555-67. 2007..To examine susceptibilities of Bacillus anthracis and related species to 24 antimicrobials using and concurrently comparing two methods...
- Pharmacokinetics of dapsone gel, 5% for the treatment of acne vulgarisDiane M Thiboutot
Department of Dermatology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033 0850, USA
Clin Pharmacokinet 46:697-712. 2007..As dapsone is administered topically, it was expected that systemic absorption would be considerably lower than that observed with oral dapsone therapy, thereby avoiding any adverse haematological effects...
- Multisite reproducibility of Etest for susceptibility testing of Mycobacterium abscessus, Mycobacterium chelonae, and Mycobacterium fortuitumG L Woods
Department of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77555 0740, USA
J Clin Microbiol 38:656-61. 2000..tested against amikacin, cefoxitin, ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, doxycycline, imipenem, and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole in each of four laboratories...
- Comparison of atovaquone and azithromycin with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for the prevention of serious bacterial infections in children with HIV infectionWalter T Hughes
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN 38105 2794, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:136-45. 2005Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMZ) has been used extensively for the prevention of Pneumocystis carinii (also referred to as "Pneumocystis jiroveci") pneumonia (PCP) and other opportunistic infections in human ..
- [Antibiotic consumption and antimicrobial susceptibility evolution in the Centro Hospitalario Pereira Rossell in methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus era]Héctor Telechea
Depto de Farmacología y Terapéutica Montevideo, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de la Republica, Montevideo, Uruguay
Rev Chilena Infectol 26:413-9. 2009..Adherence to these guidelines was indirectly performed by monitoring antibiotic consumption and antimicrobial susceptibility patterns in Uruguay...
- In vitro antibacterial activity of beta-lactams and non-beta-lactams against Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates from Sydney, AustraliaIain B Gosbell
Department of Microbiology, South Western Area Pathology Service, Liverpool, Australia
Pathology 38:343-8. 2006..This study was undertaken to determine the antimicrobial resistance patterns of strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae from Sydney, Australia, comparing penicillin-susceptible, -intermediate and -resistant isolates...
- Susceptibility of Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis to 17 oral antimicrobial agents based on pharmacodynamic parameters: 1998-2001 U S Surveillance StudyMichael R Jacobs
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University and University Hospitals of Cleveland, 11100 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Clin Lab Med 24:503-30. 2004..8% to cefprozil and cefdinir, 72.6% to cefuroxime axetil, 66.3% to cexime, 63.7% to trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, and 19.7% to cefaclor. Among H influenzae isolates, 28...
- Cranberry: Interactions with Anti-infectious AgentsGail Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The bacterial pathogens in UTI are typically responsive to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, quinolones, and the beta-lactams (penicillins, cephalosporins)...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons in Cote d'Ivoire, and policies of widespread TS prophylaxis for HIV-infected ..
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2007..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a dihydropteroate synthase (..
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a dihydropteroate synthase (..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Goals: Assess poultry contact and consumption as risk factors for human colonization with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS)-, fluoroquinolone (FQ)-, and extended-spectrum cephalosporin (ESC)-resistant E. coli (i.e...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2007Studies in Cote D'lvoire found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons who were not receiving antiretroviral therapy...
- Epidemic CA-MRSA: Molecular Epidemiology and ImmunologyROBERT S contact DAUM; Fiscal Year: 2010..the patients enrolled in the DMID-funded "Randomized, Double-Blind Trial of Clindamycin, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, or Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections Caused by Community-Associated Methicillin-..
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2007..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis...
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2007..the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2009..the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- Mechanisms of Cutaneous Drug ReactionsCRAIG SVENSSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The objective of the present proposal is to test the validity of our hypothesis using sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone, which are among the most frequent CDR-inducing drugs, as model compounds...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN CONTINOUS AXENIC CULTUREALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 2001..These isolates will be studied in vitro for sensitivity to the combination of trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole (the mainstay for both treatment of and prophylaxis against P...