Genomes and Genes
Summary: A bacteriostatic antibacterial agent that interferes with folic acid synthesis in susceptible bacteria. Its broad spectrum of activity has been limited by the development of resistance. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p208)
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Severe hypoglycemia associated with use of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole in a patient with chronic renal insufficiencyJamie M Rosini
Ann Pharmacother 42:593-4. 2008
- "Danger" conditions increase sulfamethoxazole-protein adduct formation in human antigen-presenting cellsS N Lavergne
Department of Pharmacology, Centre for Drug Safety Science, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 331:372-81. 2009..The aim of this project was to evaluate the impact of such "danger signals" on sulfamethoxazole (SMX) metabolism in human APC (peripheral blood mononuclear cells, Epstein-Barr virus-modified B lymphocytes, ..
- Removal of antibiotics from urban wastewater by constructed wetland optimizationMaría Hijosa-Valsero
Facultad de Ciencias Biologicas y Ambientales, Universidad de Leon, Campus de Vegazana s n, 24071 Leon, Spain
Chemosphere 83:713-9. 2011..the soluble water fraction, the only easily eliminated antibiotics in the WWTP were doxycycline (61±38%) and sulfamethoxazole (60±26%)...
- Prevention of infection due to Pneumocystis spp. in human immunodeficiency virus-negative immunocompromised patientsMartin Rodriguez
Division of Infectious Diseases, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit St, GRJ 504, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 17:770-82, table of contents. 2004..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole is the agent of choice for prophylaxis against Pneumocystis unless a clear contraindication is identified...
- Human N-acetyltransferase 1 *10 and *11 alleles increase protein expression through distinct mechanisms and associate with sulfamethoxazole-induced hypersensitivityDanxin Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Program in Pharmacogenomics, School of Biomedical Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Pharmacogenet Genomics 21:652-64. 2011..This study characterizes regulatory polymorphisms and underlying mechanisms of NAT1 expression...
- The combination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and isoniazid or rifampin is bactericidal and prevents the emergence of drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosisCatherine Vilcheze
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:5142-8. 2012..To overcome these issues, we reexamined two FDA-approved antibacterial drugs, sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and trimethoprim (TMP), for use in TB treatment...
- Phototransformation of selected pharmaceuticals during UV treatment of drinking waterSilvio Canonica
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Res 42:121-8. 2008..e., 17alpha-ethinylestradiol (EE2), diclofenac, sulfamethoxazole, and iopromide, was investigated in dilute solutions of pure water buffered at various pH values using a low-..
- H-point standard additions method for simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in pharmaceutical formulations and biological fluids with simultaneous addition of two analytesM H Givianrad
Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch, Department of Chemistry, Tehran, Iran
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 78:1196-200. 2011..of H-point standard additions method (HPSAM) to the resolving of overlapping spectra corresponding to the sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim is verified by UV-vis spectrophotometry...
- Evaluation of polyamidoamine (PAMAM) dendrimers as drug carriers of anti-bacterial drugs using sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) as a model drugMinglu Ma
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and School of Life Sciences, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, Anhui 230027, China
Eur J Med Chem 42:93-8. 2007b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMZ), a sulfonamide with well-known anti-bacterial properties, is not freely soluble in water and causes problems in its clinical applications...
- Plasmid-mediated streptomycin and sulfamethoxazole resistance in Shigella flexneri 3aSoumik Barman
Division of Bacteriology, National Institute of Cholera and Enteric Diseases, P 33 CIT Road, Scheme XM, Beliaghata, Kolkata 700 010, India
Int J Antimicrob Agents 36:348-51. 2010..This strain was resistant to ampicillin, chloramphenicol, co-trimoxazole (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole), nalidixic acid, streptomycin, sulfamethoxazole, tetracycline and trimethoprim...
- Sulfamethoxazole abatement by means of ozonationRenato F Dantas
Departament d Enginyeria Quimica, Universitat de Barcelona, Marti i Franques 1, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
J Hazard Mater 150:790-4. 2008b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is a bacteriostatic antibiotic largely used for diverse types of illness...
- Evaluating the biodegradability of sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim at different stages of sewage treatmentSandra Perez
The State University of New York at Buffalo, Chemistry Department, 611 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, New York 14260 3000, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:1361-7. 2005The aerobic biodegradability of four antimicrobials (sulfamethazine, sulfamethoxazole, sulfathiazole, and trimethoprim) was investigated in sewage collected at four treatment stages (primary treatment, activated sludge treatment, aerobic ..
- Transformation of the antibacterial agent sulfamethoxazole in reactions with chlorine: kinetics, mechanisms, and pathwaysMichael C Dodd
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:5607-15. 2004b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX)--a member of the sulfonamide antibacterial class--has been frequently detected in municipal wastewater and surface water bodies in recent years...
- Removal of sulfadiazine, sulfamethizole, sulfamethoxazole, and sulfathiazole from aqueous solution by ozonationTemesgen Garoma
Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, 5500 Campanile Drive, San Diego State University, San Diego, CA 92182, United States
Chemosphere 79:814-20. 2010The removal of sulfadiazine, sulfamethizole, sulfamethoxazole, and sulfathiazole from aqueous solution by ozonation was studied. The study was conducted experimentally in a semi-batch reactor under different experimental conditions, i.e...
- Sulfamethoxazole contamination of a deep phreatic aquiferDror Avisar
The Hydro chemistry Laboratory, The Department of Geography and the Environmental Studies, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Sci Total Environ 407:4278-82. 2009..b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) concentrations in secondary effluents varied between 90 and 150 ng/L...
- Role of human cyclooxygenase-2 in the bioactivation of dapsone and sulfamethoxazolePiyush M Vyas
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, The University of Iowa, 115 S Grand Avenue, S213 PHAR, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 34:16-8. 2006b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (4,4'-diaminodiphenylsulfone, DDS) are believed to mediate their adverse effects subsequent to bioactivation to their respective arylhydroxylamine and arylnitroso metabolites, resulting in covalent ..
- Enhanced antigenicity leads to altered immunogenicity in sulfamethoxazole-hypersensitive patients with cystic fibrosisAyman Elsheikh
MRC Centre for Drug Safety Science, Department of Pharmacology, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Allergy Clin Immunol 127:1543-51.e3. 2011..Exposure of patients with cystic fibrosis to sulfonamides is associated with a high incidence of hypersensitivity reactions...
- Evaluation of the effects of sulfamethoxazole on Toxoplasma gondii loads and stage conversion in IFN-gamma knockout mice using QC-PCRUsama S Belal
Department of Infection and Host Defense, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Microbiol Immunol 48:185-93. 2004Toxoplasma gondii abundance with or without sulfamethoxazole treatment was evaluated by quantitative competitive polymerase chain reaction (QC-PCR) assay in various organs of IFN-gamma knockout BALB/c (B/c) mice after peroral infection ..
- Fate of sulfamethoxazole, 4-nonylphenol, and 17beta-estradiol in groundwater contaminated by wastewater treatment plant effluentLarry B Barber
U S Geological Survey, 3215 Marine Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Environ Sci Technol 43:4843-50. 2009..Fifteen percent of the 212 OWCs analyzed were detected, including the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SX), the nonionic surfactant degradation product 4-nonylphenol (NP), the solvent tetrachloroethene (PCE), ..
- Efficiency and energy requirements for the transformation of organic micropollutants by ozone, O3/H2O2 and UV/H2O2Ioannis A Katsoyiannis
Eawag, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology, Department of Water Resources and Drinking Water, Ueberlandstrasse 133, 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Res 45:3811-22. 2011..the AOPs O(3)/H(2)O(2) and UV/H(2)O(2) for transformation of organic micropollutants, namely atrazine (ATR), sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and N-nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA) were compared. Three lake waters and a wastewater were assessed...
- Benzalkonium chloride and sulfamethoxazole adsorption onto natural clinoptilolite: effect of time, ionic strength, pH and temperatureTania Farías
Zeolites Engineering Laboratory, Institute of Materials Science and Technology IMRE, University of Havana, Havana, Cuba
J Colloid Interface Sci 363:465-75. 2011..physical factors on the adsorption of the cationic surfactant benzalkonium chloride (BC) and the model drug sulfamethoxazole by a purified natural clinoptilolite (NZ) has been studied in order to employ zeolite-surfactant-drug ..
- Roles of endogenous ascorbate and glutathione in the cellular reduction and cytotoxicity of sulfamethoxazole-nitrosoSidonie N Lavergne
Department of Medical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706 1102, USA
Toxicology 222:25-36. 2006b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is an effective drug for the management of opportunistic infections, but its use is limited by hypersensitivity reactions, particularly in HIV-infected patients...
- Covalent binding of the nitroso metabolite of sulfamethoxazole leads to toxicity and major histocompatibility complex-restricted antigen presentationDean J Naisbitt
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Mol Pharmacol 62:628-37. 2002Treatment with sulfamethoxazole (SMX) can lead to hypersensitivity reactions. T cells from hypersensitive patients recognize either the parent drug and/or the reactive nitroso (SMX-NO) metabolite...
- Sorption behavior of potential organic wastewater indicators with soilsLiang Yu
CVT, Aachener Verfahrenstechnik, RWTH Aachen University, Turmstr 46, D 52056 Aachen, Germany
Water Res 43:951-60. 2009..potential wastewater indicators such as two antiepileptic drugs (carbamazepine, primidone), one sulfonamide (sulfamethoxazole), and one corrosion inhibitor (benzotriazole) were determined with three natural soils (Lufa 2...
- Prospective, randomized, multicentric, open, comparative study on the efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of 500 mg levofloxacin versus 1920 mg trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole versus a control group in patients undergoing TUR of the prostateF M E Wagenlehner
Urologic Clinic, Hospital St Elisabeth, St Elisabeth Str 23, D 94315 Straubing, Germany
Eur Urol 47:549-56. 2005..The efficacy of a prophylactic single dose of levofloxacin vs. trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (TMP/SMZ) vs...
- Enzyme-mediated protein haptenation of dapsone and sulfamethoxazole in human keratinocytes: II. Expression and role of flavin-containing monooxygenases and peroxidasesPiyush M Vyas
Division of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 319:497-505. 2006Arylamine compounds, such as sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone (DDS), are metabolized in epidermal keratinocytes to arylhydroxylamine metabolites that auto-oxidize to arylnitroso derivatives, which in turn bind to cellular proteins and ..
- Electrochemical abatement of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole from waterAhmad Dirany
Universite Paris Est, Laboratoire Geomateriaux et Environnement, 5 Bd Descartes, 77454 Marne la Vallee Cedex 2, France
Chemosphere 81:594-602. 2010The electrochemical abatement of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX) from aqueous solutions at pH 3.0 has been carried out by anodic oxidation and electro-Fenton (EF) processes with H(2)O(2) electrogeneration...
- Oxidation products of sulfamethoxazole in ozonated secondary effluentAngela Rodayan
Department of Chemical Engineering, McGill University, 3610 University Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3A 2B2
J Hazard Mater 177:237-43. 2010In this study the antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX) was subjected to ozone treatment. Solutions of 60 mg/L and 100 microg/L SMX in pure water and secondary municipal effluent were treated...
- Application of solar advanced oxidation processes to the degradation of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazoleO Gonzalez
Chemical Engineering Department, University of Barcelona, Martí i Franquès 1 08028, Barcelona, Spain
Photochem Photobiol Sci 8:1032-9. 2009This work deals with the treatment of highly concentrated sulfamethoxazole (SMX) solutions by some advanced oxidation processes (AOPs) that have not been studied until now...
- Development of immunoassays to determinate sulfamethoxazole residues in wastewatersNuria Pastor-Navarro
Departamento de Quimica, Instituto de Quimica Molecular Aplicada, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, Camino de Vera s n, 46071, Valencia, Spain
J Environ Monit 11:1094-100. 2009Different immunoassays have been developed to monitor sulfamethoxazole (SMX), an antibiotic frequently detected in water...
- Pharmaceutical retention mechanisms by nanofiltration membranesLong D Nghiem
Environmental Engineering, University of Wollongong, New South Wales 2522, Australia
Environ Sci Technol 39:7698-705. 2005This study investigates the retention mechanisms of three pharmaceuticals-sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, and ibuprofen-by nanofiltration (NF) membranes...
- Comparison of the pharmacokinetics of sulfamethoxazole in male chinese volunteers at low altitude and acute exposure to high altitude versus subjects living chronically at high altitude: an open-label, controlled, prospective studyXiang Yang Li
Department of Pharmacology, College of Life Science, Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Shenyang, China
Clin Ther 31:2744-54. 2009b>Sulfamethoxazole is an antibacterial sulfonamide used primarily for the treatment of a wide variety of bacterial infections in combination with trimethoprim...
- Effects of the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole on groundwater bacterial enrichmentJennifer C Underwood
United States Geological Survey, 3215 Marine Street, Boulder, Colorado 80303, USA
Environ Sci Technol 45:3096-101. 2011The effects of "trace" (environmentally relevant) concentrations of the antimicrobial agent sulfamethoxazole (SMX) on the growth, nitrate reduction activity, and bacterial composition of an enrichment culture prepared with groundwater ..
- Analysis of Pneumocystis jirovecii DHPS alleles implicated in sulfamethoxazole resistance using an Escherichia coli model systemPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Parkville, Victoria, 3052, Australia
Microb Drug Resist 11:1-8. 2005..Two sulfa drugs (sulfachloropyridazine and sulfathiazole) were identified that had higher inhibitory potential than sulfamethoxazole, which is currently the preferred treatment for PCP.
- Comparison of short-term treatment regimen of ciprofloxacin versus long-term treatment regimens of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole or norfloxacin for uncomplicated lower urinary tract infections: a randomized, multicentre, open-label, prospective studyJosé Luis Arredondo-García
Instituto Nacional de Perinatologia, Mexico City, Mexico
J Antimicrob Chemother 54:840-3. 2004..uncomplicated cystitis in ambulatory pre-menopausal women: ciprofloxacin 250 mg orally twice daily for 3 days, trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole 160/800 mg orally twice daily for 7 days, and norfloxacin 400 mg orally twice daily for 7 days.
- Sulfamethoxazole and its metabolite nitroso sulfamethoxazole stimulate dendritic cell costimulatory signalingJoseph P Sanderson
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
J Immunol 178:5533-42. 2007..In the context of sulfamethoxazole allergy, the Ag is thought to be derived from its toxic nitroso metabolite, but little is known about the ..
- Influence of reduced glutathione on the proliferative response of sulfamethoxazole-specific and sulfamethoxazole-metabolite-specific human CD4+ T-cellsC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Br J Pharmacol 132:623-30. 20011. Hypersensitivity to the drug sulfamethoxazole (SMX) is thought to be a consequence of bioactivation to the hydroxylamine metabolite (SMX-NHOH) and further oxidation to the ultimate reactive metabolite, nitroso-sulfamethoxazole (SMX-NO)...
- Non-covalent presentation of sulfamethoxazole to human CD4+ T cells is independent of distinct human leucocyte antigen-bound peptidesC Burkhart
Clinic of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, Bern, Switzerland
Clin Exp Allergy 32:1635-43. 2002..processing- and metabolism-independent pathway for the presentation of allergenic drugs such as lidocaine and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) to drug-specific T cells...
- Cross-reactivity in drug hypersensitivity reactions to sulfasalazine and sulfamethoxazoleAnna Zawodniak
Division of Allergology, Clinic for Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology Allergology, Inselspital, University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 153:152-6. 2010..Therefore, we aimed to analyze in vitro the cross-reactivity between the antimicrobial sulfamethoxazole and the anti-inflammatory drug sulfasalazine.
- Application of nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy for quantitative analysis of miconazole, metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole in pharmaceutical and urine samplesA A Salem
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, UAE University, Al Ain, UAE
J Pharm Biomed Anal 41:654-61. 2006Specific, accurate and precise NMR methods were developed for determining miconazole, metronidazole and sulfamethoxazole antibiotic drugs in authentic, pharmaceutical and urine samples...
- Association analysis of drug metabolizing enzyme gene polymorphisms in HIV-positive patients with co-trimoxazole hypersensitivityM Pirmohamed
Department of Pharmacology and Terapeutics, The University of Liverpool, UK
Pharmacogenetics 10:705-13. 2000..Our results show that genetic polymorphisms in drug metabolizing enzymes are unlikely to be major predisposing factors in determining individual susceptibility to co-trimoxazole hypersensitivity in HIV-positive patients...
- Effects of mutations in Pneumocystis carinii dihydropteroate synthase gene on outcome of AIDS-associated P. carinii pneumoniaJ Helweg-Larsen
Department of Infectious Diseases, University of Copenhagen, Hvidovre Hospital, Denmark
Lancet 354:1347-51. 1999..We assessed whether mutations in the DHPS gene of P. carinii were associated with exposure to sulpha drugs and influenced outcome from PCP...
- Novel non-labile covalent binding of sulfamethoxazole reactive metabolites to cultured human lymphoid cellsMukesh Summan
Laboratory of Comparative Pharmacogenetics, Atlantic Veterinary College, PEI Health Research Institute, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada, C1A 4P3
Chem Biol Interact 142:155-73. 2002b>Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) causes rare hypersensitivity syndrome reactions characterized by fever and multi-organ toxicity...
- Dosing regimens of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole) for melioidosisAllen C Cheng
Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 53:4193-9. 2009..PK) simulation study was performed to determine the optimal dosing of cotrimoxazole (trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole [TMP-SMX]) used in current eradication regimens in Thailand and Australia...
- Dihydropteroate synthase mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci can affect sulfamethoxazole resistance in a Saccharomyces cerevisiae modelPeter Iliades
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, 343 Royal Parade, Parkville, Victoria 3052, Australia
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:2617-23. 2004..synthase (DHPS) mutations in Pneumocystis jiroveci have been associated epidemiologically with resistance to sulfamethoxazole (SMX). Since P. jiroveci cannot be cultured, inherent drug resistance cannot be measured...
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia resistant to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole: an increasing problemAsma Marzouq Al-Jasser
Department of Microbiology, Armed Forces Hospital, Box X 966, P O Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 5:23. 2006..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP - SXT) is recommended as the agent of choice for the treatment of S. maltophilia infections...
- The role of horizontal gene transfer in the spread of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Europe and CanadaMatthew T Blahna
Department of Epidemiology, University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 57:666-72. 2006To describe the distribution of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance genes and the role of horizontal gene transfer and clonal expansion in recent increases of antibiotic resistance rates among uropathogenic Escherichia coli in Europe ..
- Dihydrofolate reductase and dihydropteroate synthase genotypes associated with in vitro resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to pyrimethamine, trimethoprim, sulfadoxine, and sulfamethoxazoleInsaf Khalil
Center for Medical Parasitology, Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Copenhagen, Panum Institute, Denmark
Am J Trop Med Hyg 68:586-9. 2003..isolates were tested in vitro against pyrimethamine (PYR), trimethoprim (TRM), sulfadoxine (SDX), and sulfamethoxazole (SMX), and their dihydrofolate reductase (dhfr) and dihydropteroate synthase (dhps) genotypes were determined...
- Cloning and molecular characterization of three arylamine N-acetyltransferase genes from Bacillus anthracis: identification of unusual enzymatic properties and their contribution to sulfamethoxazole resistanceBenjamin Pluvinage
Laboratoire de Cytophysiologie et Toxicologie Cellulaire, EA 1553, Universite Paris 7 Denis Diderot, 75005 Paris, France
Biochemistry 46:7069-78. 2007..displayed strong NAT activity toward several prototypic NAT substrates, including the sulfonamide antibiotic sulfamethoxazole (SMX)...
- On the occasional biodegradation of pharmaceuticals in the activated sludge process: the example of the antibiotic sulfamethoxazoleP Drillia
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Patras, Greece
J Hazard Mater 122:259-65. 2005b>Sulfamethoxazole, a common antibiotic, was found to be biodegradable under aerobic conditions. The fate of sulfamethoxazole in the activated sludge process was studied using a Sequencing Batch Reactor (SBR)...
- Trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole are selective inhibitors of CYP2C8 and CYP2C9, respectivelyXia Wen
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Helsinki and Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Drug Metab Dispos 30:631-5. 2002To evaluate the inhibitory effects of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole on cytochrome P450 (P450) isoforms, selective marker reactions for CYP1A2, CYP2A6, CYP2C8, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4 were examined in human liver ..
- Prevalence and predictors of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli isolates in MichiganPatricia D Brown
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, MI, USA
Clin Infect Dis 34:1061-6. 2002Resistance among uropathogenic Escherichia coli to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) has increased. Risk factors for resistance and the impact on clinical failure have been poorly described...
- Attempts to eradicate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization with the use of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, rifampin, and bacitracinJ S Roccaforte
Medical Services, Veterans Administration Medical Center, Omaha, NE 68105
Am J Infect Control 16:141-6. 1988..9 antibiotics preceded the first MRSA culture. The usual regimen (mean, 6.0 days) was oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, 160/800 mg twice daily, oral rifampin, 600 mg once daily, and bacitracin ointment three times a day...
- In vitro activity of caspofungin combined with sulfamethoxazole against clinical isolates of Aspergillus sppAya Yekutiel
Department of Human Microbiology, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Ramat Aviv 69978, Tel Aviv, Israel
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:3279-83. 2004Caspofungin (CAS) inhibits fungal cell wall synthesis. Sulfamethoxazole (SMX) inhibits folate biosynthesis and is active in vitro against Aspergillus spp...
- Continuous on-line concentration based on dynamic pH junction for trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis combined with flow injection analysis systemLiuyin Fan
Department of Chemistry, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou, Gansu Province 730000, PR China
J Chromatogr A 1062:133-7. 2005..on-line concentration approach based on dynamic pH junction for the analysis of trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SMZ) by microfluidic capillary electrophoresis (CE) combined with flow injection analysis is developed in ..
- Oropharyngeal colonization by Streptococcus pneumoniae among HIV-infected adults in Uganda: assessing prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibilityDavid B Blossom
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Int J Infect Dis 10:458-64. 2006..To evaluate characteristics of Streptococcus pneumoniae associated with oropharyngeal colonization in the Ugandan adult HIV population...
- A case of brucellar septic arthritis of the knee with a prolonged clinical courseErgin Ayaslioglu
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Kirikkale University Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 25:69-71. 2005..We report a case of brucellar monoarthritis of the knee with a prolonged clinical course despite efficient antibiotic treatment...
- [Inguinal swelling: pressure-sensitive, overheated. A 66-year-old patient, pensioner in Portugal]V Orelli
Medizinische Abteilung, Bezirksspital, Affoltern am Albis
Praxis (Bern 1994) 95:1845-7. 2006
- Urinary tract infections in South Croatia: aetiology and antimicrobial resistanceZvonimir Barisić
Department of Microbiology, Public Health Institute, Vukovarska 46, 21000, Split, Croatia
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:61-4. 2003..15% to the fluoroquinolones. A high methicillin-resistance rate was found among S. aureus (61.22%) and coagulase negative staphylococci (41.48)...
- N. paucivorans infection presenting as a brain abscessShah Naz Hayat Khan
Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 33:426-7. 2006
- Bartonella henselae bacilli detected in vitrectomy aspirates in a patient with massive vitreous opacity with total retinal detachmentToshihiko Matsuo
Department of Ophthalmology, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, Okayama City, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 14:47-9. 2006..To present endophthalmitis-like massive vitreous opacity as a manifestation of cat-scratch disease...
- Evaluating the vulnerability of surface waters to antibiotic contamination from varying wastewater treatment plant dischargesAngela L Batt
Department of Chemistry, The State University of New York at Buffalo, 608 Natural Sciences Complex, Buffalo, NY 14260 3000, USA
Environ Pollut 142:295-302. 2006..b>Sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, ciprofloxacin, tetracycline, and clindamycin were detected in the effluents at concentrations ..
- An analysis of a community-acquired pathogen in a Kentucky community: methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusForest W Arnold
University of Louisville School of Medicine, KY 40292, USA
J Ky Med Assoc 103:206-10. 2005..Reviewing risk factors in adult patients with CA-MRSA in Kentucky has not been reported...
- Conjunctival flora in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infectionYasuyuki Yamauchi
Department of Ophthalmology, Tokyo Medical University Hospital, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
Ocul Immunol Inflamm 13:301-4. 2005..Also, to assess the prophylactic effect of oral clarithromycin against Mycobacterium avium complex on the conjunctival flora of HIV-positive patients...
- Occurrence and sorption behavior of sulfonamides, macrolides, and trimethoprim in activated sludge treatmentAnke Göbel
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 39:3981-9. 2005..The most predominant macrolide and sulfonamide antimicrobials were clarithromycin and sulfamethoxazole, respectively...
- Micellar electrokinetic chromatography method for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim and their main metabolites in human serumJuan José Berzas Nevado
Regional Institute for Applied Scientific Research, University of Castilla La Mancha, Avenida de Camilo José Cela, 10, 13071 Ciudad Real, Spain
J Sep Sci 28:543-8. 2005..sample clean-up and a micellar electrokinetic chromatographic method, is presented for the determination of sulfamethoxazole, trimethoprim, and their main metabolites by using 20 mmol L(-1) borate buffer (pH 9...
- Antibiotic resistance in bacteria from shrimp farming in mangrove areasTuan Xuan Le
Centre for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, Vietnam National University Hanoi, Quoc Tu Giam St, Vietnam
Sci Total Environ 349:95-105. 2005..to investigate bacterial resistance to Norfloxacin (NFXC), Oxolinic Acid (OXLA), Trimethoprim (TMP) and Sulfamethoxazole (SMX), which were found in four shrimp farming locations in mangrove areas in Vietnam...
- [Drug exanthema in connection with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole treatment, triggered by leech therapy]Andre Michael Beer
Modellabteilung für Naturheilkunde, Klinik Blankenstein, Hattingen
Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd 12:32-6. 2005..Eight days before beginning of the leech therapy a five-day antibiotic therapy with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole (Cotrim forte) had been administered to treat an uncomplicated urinary infection...
- Comparative antimicrobial susceptibility of respiratory tract pathogensDavid Felmingham
G R Micro Ltd, 7 9 William Road, London NW1 3ER, UK
Chemotherapy 50:3-10. 2004..Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) and tetracycline resistance, either individually or combined with macrolide resistance as multiple ..
- Microcosm evaluation of the effects of an eight pharmaceutical mixture to the aquatic macrophytes Lemna gibba and Myriophyllum sibiricumRichard A Brain
Department of Environmental Biology, Centre for Toxicology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, N1G 2W1, Canada
Aquat Toxicol 70:23-40. 2004..12,000 L aquatic microcosms treated with eight common pharmaceuticals (atorvastatin, acetaminophen, caffeine, sulfamethoxazole, carbamazepine, levofloxacin, sertraline, and trimethoprim) at total (summed) molar concentrations of 0, 0...
- Dihydropteroate synthase gene mutations in Pneumocystis and sulfa resistanceLaurence Huang
University of California San Francisco, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 10:1721-8. 2004..Sulfa drugs, trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TMP-SMX) and dapsone are mainstays of PCP treatment and prophylaxis...
- Appropriate antibiotic utilization in seniors prior to hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia is associated with decreased in-hospital mortalityD Johnson
Department of Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
J Clin Pharm Ther 29:231-9. 2004..We analysed the association of mortality and prescription of antibiotics prior to hospitalization for community-acquired pneumonia...
- Ecthyma gangrenosum in a patient with toxic epidermal necrolysisDouglas M Downey
Department of Surgery, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, Ohio, USA
J Burn Care Res 28:198-202. 2007..We present a case of a patient admitted to the burn unit for toxic epidermal necrolysis who developed pseudomonal bacteremia with ecthyma gangrenosum...
- Prospective randomized trial of empiric therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMary Jo Cenizal
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:2628-30. 2007To evaluate empirical therapy with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole or doxycycline for outpatient skin and soft tissue infections in an area of high prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, a randomized, prospective, open-..
- Bacterial infections in cirrhosis: epidemiological changes with invasive procedures and norfloxacin prophylaxisJavier Fernandez
Liver Unit, IMD, and Department of Microbiology and IDIBAPS, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 35:140-8. 2002..01. The rate of culture-positive spontaneous bacterial peritonitis caused by trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole-resistant gram-negative bacilli was also very high in patients on long-term norfloxacin administration (44% ..
- The importance of the removal of the intrauterine device in genital colonization by actinomycesI Bonacho
Gynecol Obstet Invest 52:119-23. 2001..Both groups were treated with trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. A total of 43 patients were included...
- Evaluation of the effect of sulphametoxazole and trimethoprim in patients with Machado-Joseph diseaseM Correia
Neurology Department, , Porto, Portugal
Rev Neurol 23:632-4. 1995..The results showed that Bactrim had a beneficial effect on gait and coordination and that it would be worthwhile undertaking other trials, taking into account the great clinical variability of MJD...
- Hepatic disposition of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazoleS Sahin
Faculty of Pharmacy, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 30:135-40. 2008Hepatic disposition of trimethoprim (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and the liver distributional volumes were investigated in the in situ perfused rat liver preparation...
- [A case of empyema caused by Salmonella enteritidis in a patient with sequela of pulmonary tuberculosis]H Suzuki
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Tokyo Metropolitan Komagome General Hospital, Japan
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 70:382-5. 1996..Based on the in vitro sensitivity test, sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim was started. However, the efficacy of the antimicrobia was not sufficient...
- Clinical and pathologic features of Mycobacterium fortuitum infections. An emerging pathogen in patients with AIDSM B Smith
Division of Microbiology, Dept of Pathology, University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Blvd, Galveston, TX 77555-074, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 116:225-32. 2001..Definitive therapy after culture identification resulted in complete resolution of infection in all patients except 1...
- Viable but nonculturable uropathogenic bacteria are present in the mouse urinary tract following urinary tract infection and antibiotic therapyB Rivers
Department of Biology, University of North Carolina at Charlotte, 9201 University City Blvd, Charlotte, NC 282230001, USA
Urol Res 29:60-6. 2001..These data indicate that the inoculated uropathogenic E. coli was not eliminated by antibiotic therapy, and suggest that these bacteria may escape detection by current standard culturability assays because they are VBNC...
- Postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis due to community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusKaren M Sokolov
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California Los Angeles, CA, USA
Obstet Gynecol 110:535-8. 2007..A new, serious community-acquired MRSA manifestation, postpartum iliopsoas pyomyositis is described...
- High-performance liquid chromatography method for the simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim in bovine milk using an on-line clean-up columnA V Pereira
Departamento de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Universidade Estadual de Ponta Grossa, 84030 900, Ponta Grossa, PR, Brazil
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 826:139-46. 2005A bidimensional HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and trimethoprim (TMP) in bovine milk has been developed and validated...
- Multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana: a case report and review of the literatureMelanie W Pound
School of Pharmacy, Campbell University, Buies Creek, NC 27506, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:2066-70. 2007..To describe and report a case of multidrug-resistant Ewingella americana associated with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Intermittent unexplained abdominal pain: is it porphyria?Joseph R Bloomer
Liver Center and Division of Gastroenterology Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0005, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 5:1255-8; quiz 1244. 2007
- Update on prevalence and treatment of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionsCindy A Loffler
University of California, San Francisco Medical Center, 521 Parnassus Ave, C 152, San Francisco, CA 94122, USA
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5:961-81. 2007..for treatment of MRSA infections, including older drugs, such as clindamycin, doxycycline and trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole. Newer agents, such as linezolid and daptomycin, are aiming to improve on the poor cure rates found with ..
- A rare case of lung coinfection by Streptomyces cinereoruber and Haemophilus influenzae in a patient with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: characterization at species level using molecular techniquesAngel Manteca
Area de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biologia Funcional, Instituto Universitario de Biotecnologia de Asturias IUBA, Universidad de Oviedo, 33006 Oviedo, Asturias, Spain
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:307-11. 2008..Restriction fragment length polymorphism, morphologic, and biochemical characteristics have confirmed their identity...
- [Drug-induced cholestasis]Yasuyuki Searashi
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Jikei University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 65:532-7. 2007
- Nasopharyngeal carriage of community-acquired, antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in a Zambian paediatric populationA Woolfson
Department of Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, England
Bull World Health Organ 75:453-62. 1997..Antibacterial resistance was found in 34.1% of the isolates; resistance to tetracycline, penicillin, sulfamethoxazole + trimethoprim, and chloramphenicol occurred in 23.0%, 14.3%, 12.7%, and 3.9% of the isolates, respectively...
- Simultaneous dissolution profiles of two drugs in pharmaceutical formulations by an FIA manifoldA Moreno Gálvez
Departamento de Quimica Analitica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad de Valencia, c Moliner 50, 46100 Burjassot, Valencia, Spain
J Pharm Biomed Anal 27:1027-36. 2002..The analytical errors, when the concentration of one drug is very low or very high, are also checked. A binary mixture in commercially available formulations of solid oral administration of sulphametoxazole and trimethoprim is presented...
- Pneumocystis carinii infection in bilateral aural polyps in a human immunodeficiency virus-positive patientC V Praveen
Department of Otolaryngology, Farnborough Hospital, Bromley NHS Trust, Kent, UK
J Laryngol Otol 116:288-90. 2002..We report a case of P carinii infection presenting as bilateral aural polyps, otitis media and mastoiditis in human immunodeficiency (HIV)-positive patient with no history of prior or concomitant P carinii infection...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Haemophilus influenzae among children in Beijing, China, 1999-2000Y Y Hu
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Beijing Children s Hospital, P R China
Acta Paediatr 91:136-40. 2002..Compared with the data from 1999, there was a significant increase in resistance to tetracycline (from 12.7% in 1999 to 16.2%) and sulphamethoxazole/trimethoprim (from 40.5% in 1999 to 77.1%)...
- [Determination of sulfamethoxazole in compound sulfamethoxazole tablet by first derivative ratio spectrometry]Z Sun
No. 1 Hospital of Lianyungang, Jiangsu, Lianyungang 222002
Guang Pu Xue Yu Guang Pu Fen Xi 21:713-5. 2001The first derivative ratio spectrometry is used for the determination of sulfamethoxazole in compound sulfamethoxazole tablet...
- Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis due to sulfamethoxazol with positive lymphocyte transformation test (LTT)Mark David Anliker
Allergy Unit, Department of Dermatology, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 13:66-8. 2003..LTT may play a possible role in the determination of drug allergy in AGEP despite negative skin testing...
- Leptospira infection in two black rhinoceroses (Diceros bicornis michaeli)D L Neiffer
Pittsburgh Zoo, One Wild Place, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15206, USA
J Zoo Wildl Med 32:476-86. 2001..Leptospira kirschneri serovar grippotyphosa was postulated as the etiologic agent, with transmission probably occurring through wallow contamination by wild raccoons (Procyon lotor)...
- Escherichia coli O157:H7 Shiga toxin-encoding bacteriophages: integrations, excisions, truncations, and evolutionary implicationsNurmohammad Shaikh
Children s Hospital and the University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Bacteriol 185:3596-605. 2003..coli O157:H7 strains, the presumed progenitors of stx(1)(+)/stx(2)(+) E. coli O157:H7. Trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole promotes the excision of all, and ciprofloxacin and fosfomycin significantly promote the excision of a subset ..
- Simultaneous determination and validation of antimicrobials in plasma and tissue of actinomycetoma by high-performance liquid chromatography with diode array and fluorescence detectionNorma Cavazos-Rocha
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Facultad de Medicina, UANL, Mexico
J Pharm Biomed Anal 43:1775-81. 2007..antimicrobials proposed for the treatment of actinomycotic mycetoma: amoxicillin, trimethoprim, linezolid, sulfamethoxazole and garenoxacin. Separation of the analytes was achieved on an Atlantis dC18 column (150 mm x 4...
- The Escherichia coli mazEF suicide module mediates thymineless deathBoaz Sat
Department of Molecular Biology, The Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Bacteriol 185:1803-7. 2003..Our results, which describe thymine starvation as a trigger for a built-in death program, have implications for programmed cell death in both prokaryotes and eukaryotes...
- Teaching NeuroImage: Oculomasticatory myorhythmia: pathognomonic phenomenology of Whipple diseaseFredy J Revilla
Department of Neurology, Movement Disorders Center, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, MSB 4503, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0525, USA
Neurology 70:e25. 2008
- Determination of six anti-infectives in wastewater using tandem solid-phase extraction and liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryPedro A Segura
Departement de Chimie, Universite de Montreal, C P 6128, Succursale Centre Ville, Montreal, QC, CanadaH3C 3J7
J Environ Monit 9:307-13. 2007..Mean flows of anti-infectives were estimated from effluent concentrations and it was found that large amounts (>118 g day(-1) up to 830 g day(-1)) are discharged in the receiving waters of the St Lawrence River...
- Second derivative spectrophotometric determination of trimethoprime and sulfamethoxazole in the presence of hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin (HP-beta-CD)Gladys Granero
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, 5000 Cordoba, Argentina
J Pharm Biomed Anal 29:51-9. 2002..rapid second-derivative spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous analysis of trimethoprime (TMP) and sulfamethoxazole (SM) is described...
- Cranberry: Interactions with Anti-infectious AgentsGail Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The bacterial pathogens in UTI are typically responsive to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole, quinolones, and the beta-lactams (penicillins, cephalosporins)...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2003DESCRIPTION: Two recent studies found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) prophylaxis reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons in Cote d'Ivoire, and policies of widespread TS prophylaxis for HIV-infected ..
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2009..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a dihydropteroate synthase (..
- Novel, P. jirovecii Specific Antipneumocystis AgentsAleem Gangjee; Fiscal Year: 2007..Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole the combination of a dihydrofolate reductase (DHFR) inhibitor trimethoprim and a dihydropteroate synthase (..
- Resistant E.coli in Humans and PoultryJames Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Goals: Assess poultry contact and consumption as risk factors for human colonization with trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS)-, fluoroquinolone (FQ)-, and extended-spectrum cephalosporin (ESC)-resistant E. coli (i.e...
- TS PROPHYLAXIS AND DRUG-RESISTANT MALARIA IN MALAWICHRISTOPHER PLOWE; Fiscal Year: 2007Studies in Cote D'lvoire found that trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole (TS) reduced hospitalizations and mortality among HIV-infected persons who were not receiving antiretroviral therapy...
- Epidemic CA-MRSA: Molecular Epidemiology and ImmunologyROBERT S contact DAUM; Fiscal Year: 2010..the patients enrolled in the DMID-funded "Randomized, Double-Blind Trial of Clindamycin, Trimethoprim-Sulfamethoxazole, or Placebo for Uncomplicated Skin and Soft Tissue Infections Caused by Community-Associated Methicillin-..
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2007..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis...
- Structural Studies of AIDS-Responsive DrugsVivian Cody; Fiscal Year: 2010..Current treatment for PcP combines sulfamethoxazole with trimethoprim, targeting folate biosynthesis...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2007..the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- S-Adenosylmethionine and Pneumocystis treatmentSalim Merali; Fiscal Year: 2009..the ability of nicotine to treat rat model of PCP: We will look for synergism using nicotine and trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole, the primary drug for treatment of PCP...
- Mechanisms of Cutaneous Drug ReactionsCRAIG SVENSSON; Fiscal Year: 2004..The objective of the present proposal is to test the validity of our hypothesis using sulfamethoxazole (SMX) and dapsone, which are among the most frequent CDR-inducing drugs, as model compounds...
- PNEUMOCYSTIS CARINII IN CONTINOUS AXENIC CULTUREALLEN CLARKSON JR; Fiscal Year: 2001..These isolates will be studied in vitro for sensitivity to the combination of trimethoprim + sulfamethoxazole (the mainstay for both treatment of and prophylaxis against P...