Genomes and Genes
thiobarbituric acid reactive substances
Summary: Low-molecular-weight end products, probably malondialdehyde, that are formed during the decomposition of lipid peroxidation products. These compounds react with thiobarbituric acid to form a fluorescent red adduct.
Publications236 found, 100 shown here
- Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndromeShigetada Furukawa
Department of Medicine and Pathophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Organismal Biosystems, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Clin Invest 114:1752-61. 2004....
- Method for the measurement of antioxidant activity in human fluidsD Koracevic
Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University Clinical Center, Nis, Yugoslavia
J Clin Pathol 54:356-61. 2001..To develop a new, simple, and cheap method for estimating antioxidant activity in human fluids...
- Oxidative stress in severely obese persons is greater in those with insulin resistanceFrancisco J Tinahones
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Clinico Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:240-6. 2009..various antioxidant enzymes, the total antioxidant capacity (TAC) and the plasma concentration of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS)...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in preeclampsia: a systematic reviewSajal Gupta
Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Obstet Gynecol Surv 64:750-9. 2009..Preeclampsia is characterized by increased lipid peroxidation and diminished antioxidant capacity; however, there is no consensus as to the extent of these conditions...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in neonates born to pre-eclamptic motherMd Zakir H Howlader
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Trop Pediatr 55:363-7. 2009..To observe the effect of pre-eclampsia on neonates, this study was designed to explore oxidative stress and anti-oxidant status in the fetal circulation in pre-eclampsia...
- Preventive effect of naringin on lipid peroxides and antioxidants in isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in Wistar rats: biochemical and histopathological evidencesM Rajadurai
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Toxicology 228:259-68. 2006..injection of ISO (85 mg/kg) to male Wistar rats showed a significant increase in the levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and lipid hydroperoxides in plasma and the heart and a significant decrease in the activities of ..
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in non-metastatic prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasiaAhmet Aydin
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Toxicology, 06018 Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Biochem 39:176-9. 2006..We undertook the present study to investigate the possible alteration of oxidant/antioxidant status in the circulation of patients with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Protective effects of Digera muricata (L.) Mart. on testis against oxidative stress of carbon tetrachloride in ratMuhammad Rashid Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Food Chem Toxicol 47:1393-9. 2009..muricata treatment augments the antioxidants defense mechanism against carbon tetrachloride induced toxicity and provides evidence that it may have a therapeutic role in free radical mediated diseases...
- Decreased blood oxidative stress after repeated muscle-damaging exerciseMichalis G Nikolaidis
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1080-9. 2007..To examine the effect of repeated muscle-damaging exercise on the time-course changes in several indices of muscle damage, and to compare them with changes in blood oxidative stress indices...
- Strenuous endurance training in humans reduces oxidative stress following exhausting exerciseH Miyazaki
Institute of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305 8574, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 84:1-6. 2001..production in response to exhausting exercise. Furthermore, this up-regulation in antioxidant defences was accompanied by a reduction in exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in erythrocyte membrane...
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition abrogates hydrogen sulfide-induced cardioprotection in miceBhavesh Sojitra
Division of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, India
Mol Cell Biochem 360:61-9. 2012..05) abrogated by NaHS administration as evidenced from reduction in elevated thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and normalization of glutathione (GSH), glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase (SOD)..
- Garlic provides protection to mice heart against isoproterenol-induced oxidative damage: role of nitric oxideTarak Nath Khatua
Division of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology IICT, Hyderabad 500607, India
Nitric Oxide 27:9-17. 2012..In conclusion, our study provides novel evidence that garlic homogenate is protective in myocardial infarction via NO-signaling pathway in mice...
- Simultaneous production of carbon monoxide and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in rat tissue preparations by an iron-ascorbate systemH J Vreman
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal and Developmental Medicine Laboratory, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5208, USA
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:1057-65. 1998..CO produced into the headspace was quantitated by gas chromatography. Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), conjugated dienes (CD), and lipid hydroperoxides (LOOH) in the reaction medium were ..
- Zinc supplementation prevents the increase of transaminase in chronic hepatitis C patients during combination therapy with pegylated interferon alpha-2b and ribavirinYasuko Murakami
Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Okayama Prefectural University, Okayama 719 1197, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:213-8. 2007..Polaprezinc supplementation decreased plasma thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and prevented the decrease of polyunsaturated fatty acids of erythrocyte membrane phospholipids...
- The effect of whole-body cryostimulation on the prooxidant-antioxidant balance in blood of elite kayakers after trainingAlina Wozniak
Collegium Medicum, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Department and Clinic of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Karłowicza 24, 85 092, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:533-7. 2007..01) as compared to control training. Whole-body cryostimulation per se stimulates the generation of reactive oxygen species. Yet, the oxidative stress induced by kayak training was reduced by prior exposure to extremely low temperatures...
- Brain antioxidant markers, cognitive performance and acetylcholinesterase activity of rats: efficiency of Sonchus asperRahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Science and Technology Bannu, Bannu, Pakistan
Behav Brain Funct 8:21. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of polyphenolic rich methanolic fraction of SA on cognitive performance, brain antioxidant activities and acetylcholinesterase activity in male rats...
- Serum oxidant and antioxidant status during early and late recovery periods following an all-out 21-km run in trained adolescent runnersYe Tian
China Institute of Sport Science, 11 Tiyuguan Road, Chongwen District, Beijing, China
Eur J Appl Physiol 110:971-6. 2010....
- Cardiac oxidative stress in acute and chronic isoproterenol-infused ratsGuo Xing Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Kagawa University Medical School, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 65:230-8. 2005..This study aimed to clarify the role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase activation and tissue remodeling of the heart of isoproterenol (ISO)-infused rats...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidants in patients with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarctionS Senthil
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Clin Chim Acta 348:131-7. 2004..The view that an excess of lipid peroxidation products is present and is relevant in the pathogenesis of cardiogenic shock-induced damage has still not received definitive support...
- Increased oxidative stress indices in the blood of child swimmersSofia Gougoura
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Thessaly, 26 Ploutonos Str, 41221 Larissa, Greece
Eur J Appl Physiol 100:235-9. 2007....
- Pancreas beta-cells morphology, liver antioxidant enzymes and liver oxidative parameters in alloxan-resistant and alloxan-susceptible Wistar rats: a viable model system for the study of concepts into reactive oxygen speciesGuilherme Antonio Behr
Centro de Estudos em Estresse Oxidativo, Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 22:657-66. 2008..These results suggest an increased regenerative or recovery process in the ALR rat pancreatic islets and an increased hepatic antioxidant defenses in these group of alloxan-resistant rats...
- Time course of skeletal muscle loss and oxidative stress in rats with Walker 256 solid tumorFlávia A Guarnier
Pathophysiology Laboratory of Free Radicals, Department of Pathological Sciences, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, 86051 990 Londrina, Brazil, Brazil
Muscle Nerve 42:950-8. 2010..Carbonylated proteins and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances were measured. Chemiluminescence was employed for lipid hydroperoxide estimation...
- Oxidative stress and pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease: an epiphenomenon or the cause?Ali Rezaie
Department of Community Health Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Dig Dis Sci 52:2015-21. 2007..Moreover, the effects of antioxidant therapy on IBD patients in randomized, controlled trials were reviewed and the need for further studies elaborated. We also summarized the evidence in support for causality of oxidative stress in IBD...
- Aqueous extract of Ilex paraguariensis attenuates the progression of atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbitsAna Luiza Pamplona Mosimann
Department of Clinical Analysis, Health Sciences Center, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Biofactors 26:59-70. 2006..05). The results showed that Ilex paraguariensis extract can inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits, although it did not decrease the serum cholesterol or aortic TBARS and antioxidant enzymes...
- Effect of chronic treatment with bark of Terminalia arjuna: a study on the isolated ischemic-reperfused rat heartK Gauthaman
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 110 029, New Delhi, India
J Ethnopharmacol 75:197-201. 2001..The results suggest that crude bark of TA augments endogenous antioxidant compounds of rat heart and also prevents oxidative stress associated with IRI of the heart...
- Naringin supplementation lowers plasma lipids and enhances erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities in hypercholesterolemic subjectsU J Jung
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
Clin Nutr 22:561-8. 2003..Accordingly, the present study was conducted to investigate the effect of naringin on hypercholesterolemic subjects...
- Quercetin prevents oxidative stress in cirrhotic ratsPavanato Maria Amália
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Federal University of Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 52:2616-21. 2007..Quercetin (50 mg/kg/day) successfully attenuated these effects of CCl(4). We conclude that quercetin has beneficial effects on liver fibrosis in rats by enhancing antioxidant enzyme activity and decreasing the pro-oxidant effect...
- Antihyperglycaemic activity of Musa sapientum flowers: effect on lipid peroxidation in alloxan diabetic ratsL Pari
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Phytother Res 14:136-8. 2000..The decrease in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and the increase in reduced glutathione (GSH), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), ..
- Effects of dietary vitamin E supplementation on lipid oxidation and volatiles content of irradiated, cooked turkey meat patties with different packagingD U Ahn
Animal Science Department, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
Poult Sci 77:912-20. 1998..However, the combination of dietary TA and vacuum packaging of cooked meat immediately after cooking could be a good strategy to minimize oxidation and volatiles production in cooked meat...
- Sampling time is crucial for measurement of aerobic exercise-induced oxidative stressYiannis Michailidis
Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini, Greece
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1107-13. 2007..To thoroughly investigate the time-course changes of several commonly used markers of oxidative stress by performing serial measurements during a 24-h period after an acute bout of strenuous cardiovascular exercise...
- Detoxification and oxidative stress responses along with microcystins accumulation in Japanese quail exposed to cyanobacterial biomassVeronika Paskova
Centre for Cyanobacteria and Their Toxins Institute of Botany, The Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and RECETOX, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Sci Total Environ 398:34-47. 2008..The data also suggest that increased activities of detoxification enzymes could lead to greater biotransformation and elimination of the MCs at the longer exposure time...
- Local treatment of experimental colitis in the rat by negatively charged liposomes of catalase, TMN and SODTareq Taha Jubeh
Faculty of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Drug Target 14:155-63. 2006..This study suggests that low and high molecular weight antioxidants delivered via anionic liposomes can serve as a novel targeted therapy to treat chronic inflammation of the colonic epithelium, such as ulcerative colitis...
- Serum PON1 arylesterase activity in relation to hyperhomocysteinaemia and oxidative stress in young adult central retinal venous occlusion patientsN Angayarkanni
Biochemistry Research Department, Sankara Nethralaya, Vision Research Foundation, Chennai, India
Eye (Lond) 22:969-74. 2008....
- Utility of the TBARS assay in detecting oxidative stress in white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) populations exposed to pulp mill effluentKen D Oakes
Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, Canada N1G 2W1
Aquat Toxicol 63:447-63. 2003..This study indicates oxidative stress could be a mechanism of toxicity in fish exposed to pulp mill effluent and demonstrates the utility of TBARS in delineating zones of exposure to pulp mill effluent...
- Responses of rat myocardial antioxidant defences and heat shock protein HSP72 induced by 12 and 24-week treadmill trainingM Moran
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Faculty of Biology, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Acta Physiol Scand 180:157-66. 2004....
- Prevention of CCl4-induced nephrotoxicity with Sonchus asper in ratRahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad 4400, Pakistan
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2469-76. 2010..The present data suggests that SAME protect the kidneys possibly by alleviating the oxidative stress induced with CCl(4) in rat...
- Elevation of free fatty acids induces inflammation and impairs vascular reactivity in healthy subjectsDevjit Tripathy
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, State University of New York and Kaleida Health, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
Diabetes 52:2882-7. 2003..1% (P < 0.01) at 2, 4, and 6 h, respectively. We conclude that an increase in FFA concentration induces oxidative stress and has a proinflammatory effect; it also impairs postischemic flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery...
- Inhibition of lipid peroxidation by botanical extracts of Ocimum sanctum: in vivo and in vitro studiesR Kedlaya Geetha
DVS College of Arts and Science, Shimoga, Pin 577 201, Karnataka, India
Life Sci 76:21-8. 2004..Aqueous extract feeding also provided significant liver and aortic tissue protection from hypercholesterolemia-induced peroxidative damage...
- In-vitro and in-vivo antioxidant activity of different extracts of the leaves of Clerodendron colebrookianum Walp in the ratD Rajlakshmi
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:1681-6. 2003..b>Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), as a marker of lipid peroxidation, and some cellular antioxidants (superoxide dismutase, ..
- Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in the scalp of patients with alopecia areataAhmet Akar
Department of Dermatology, GATA School of Medicine, 06018, Ankara, Turkey
J Dermatol Sci 29:85-90. 2002..We measured the levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) as lipid peroxidation status, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-..
- Caspase inhibition does not protect against liver damage in hemorrhagic shockJose L Mauriz
Department of Physiology, University of Leon, Spain
Shock 19:33-7. 2003..These parameters were not significantly modified by pretreatment with Z-DEVD-FMK. It appears that caspase inhibition does not attenuate hepatocellular depression and liver injury induced by hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation...
- Protective effect of N-acetylcysteine on early outcomes of deceased renal transplantationA Danilovic
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of São Paulo General Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Transplant Proc 43:1443-9. 2011..Serum levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), were employed as markers of oxidative stress...
- Plasma reactive carbonyl species levels and risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseShenglin Liu
The Key Laboratory of Protein Chemistry and Developmental Biology of Ministry of Education, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1010-5. 2011..This study is to test the hypothesis that elevated oxidative stress is a direct risk factor for the pathogenesis of NAFLD under controlling the potential effects of covariates...
- Antihyperglycemic and antioxidant activities of medicinal plant Stereospermum suaveolens in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsT Balasubramanian
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
J Diet Suppl 6:227-51. 2009..EESS showed reduction in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances level and significantly increased the body weight (P < ...
- Lipid stability and antioxidant profile of microsomal fraction of broiler meat enriched with α-lipoic acid and α-tocopherol acetateMuhammad S Arshad
National Institute of Food Science and Technology, Faisalabad, Pakistan
J Agric Food Chem 59:7346-52. 2011..63 ± 0.008 μg/mg of protein), in which the only oxidized oil was used. Oxidized oil in feed reduced weight gain and increased TBARS, whereas TPC, DPPH, ALA, and ATA values decreased in both leg and breast meat...
- Diethyldithiocarbamate injection induces transient oxidative stress in goldfish tissuesVolodymyr I Lushchak
Department of Biochemistry, Precarpathian National University named after Vassyl Stefanyk, 57 Shevchenko Str, Ivano Frankivsk, Ukraine
Chem Biol Interact 170:1-8. 2007..Different actions of the superoxide anion in cellular metabolism and possible consequences of the impairment of superoxide dismutase are discussed...
- Oxidative stress in mouse plasma and lungs induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharideSamuel Santos Valenca
Tissue and Repair Laboratory, Department of Histology and Embryology, Rio de Janeiro State University, Brazil
Environ Res 108:199-204. 2008....
- 4-hydroxycinnamate lowers plasma and hepatic lipids without changing antioxidant enzyme activitiesJeong Sun Lee
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea
Ann Nutr Metab 47:144-51. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of 4-hydroxycinnamate (4-(OH)-C) supplement on the lipid metabolism and antioxidant system of rats fed a high-cholesterol diet...
- Lipid-lowering and antioxidant effects of an ethyl acetate extract of fenugreek seeds in high-cholesterol-fed ratsOlfa Belguith-Hadriche
Unite de recherche DGRST 02 08 20, Laboratoire de Biochimie, Faculte de Medecine de Sfax, Tunisie
J Agric Food Chem 58:2116-22. 2010..The plasma lipid levels, total phenolics, and total flavonoid contents were measured, and the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and antioxidant activities were examined...
- Acute exhaustive exercise does not alter lipid peroxidation levels and antioxidant enzyme activities in rat hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatumOsman Acikgoz
Dokuz Eylul University, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Balcova, 35340 Izmir, Turkey
Neurosci Lett 406:148-51. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of exhaustive exercise on thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, as an indicator of lipid peroxidation, in the hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatum...
- Influence of dietary vitamin E and C supplementation on vitamin E and C content and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in different tissues of growing pigsBarbara Eichenberger
Institute of Animal Sciences, Nutrition Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Arch Anim Nutr 58:195-208. 2004..In backfat outer layer vitamin E was positively correlated with rancimat induction time (r = 0.550) and negatively with TBARS (r = -0.202), but provided no evidence that dietary vitamin E supply led to better oxidative stability...
- Ghrelin promotes antioxidant enzyme activity and reduces lipid peroxidation in the rat ovaryArash Kheradmand
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Lorestan, P O Box 465, Khorram Abad, Iran
Regul Pept 162:84-9. 2010..for later antioxidant enzyme activity assays as well as measurement of glutathione content and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) level. Superoxide dismutase activity was significantly higher on days 9 (P<0...
- Involvement of oxidative and nitrosative stress in promoting retinal vasculitis in patients with Eales' diseaseMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Research Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, 600006 Chennai, India
Clin Biochem 36:377-85. 2003..In the present study, we have investigated the possible role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species (RNS) in causing retinal tissue damage in ED...
- Iron chelation abrogates excessive formation of hydroxyl radicals and lipid peroxidation products in monocytes of patients with Eales' disease: direct evidence using electron spin resonance spectroscopyMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 28:399-407. 2004..Hence in the present study we have investigated the role of MC activation and hydroxyl radicals (OH) production and its possible involvement in promoting the development of retinal vasculitis in patients with ED...
- Hesperidin, a citrus bioflavonoid, decreases the oxidative stress produced by carbon tetrachloride in rat liver and kidneyNaveen Tirkey
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
BMC Pharmacol 5:2. 2005..The present study was designed to establish the protective effect of hesperidin (HDN), a citrus bioflavonoid, on CCl4-induced oxidative stress and resultant dysfunction of rat liver and kidney...
- Exercise-induced oxidative stress leads hemolysis in sedentary but not trained humansUmit Kemal Sentürk
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Kampus, Antalya, Turkey
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:1434-41. 2005..These findings suggest that the exercise-induced oxidative stress may contribute to exercise-induced hemolysis in sedentary humans...
- Increase in Fe3+/Fe2+ ratio and iron-induced oxidative stress in Eales disease and presence of ferrous iron in circulating transferrinRadhakrishnan Selvi
Biochemistry Research Department, Sankara Nethralaya, Vision Research Foundation, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 32:677-83. 2007..Total iron, ferrous iron, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), and ceruloplasmin were estimated in the blood samples of patients with inflammation, ..
- Accumulation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine and its relationship with antioxidant parameters in patients with Eales' disease: implications for antioxidant therapyMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Research Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 27:103-10. 2003..Hence the aim of the present study was to determine the levels of 8-hydroxy-2'deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) and to correlate it with the antioxidant and oxidant parameters in patients with ED and healthy control subjects...
- Mechanism for obesity-induced increase in myocardial lipid peroxidationH K Vincent
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Center for Exercise Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:378-88. 2001....
- Radioprotective and antioxidant properties of low-altitude Podophyllum hexandrum (LAPH)Rajesh Arora
Division of Radiopharmaceuticals and Radiation Biology, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, Delhi, India
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 24:299-314. 2005....
- Oxidative mechanisms contributing to the developmental neurotoxicity of nicotine and chlorpyrifosDan Qiao
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 206:17-26. 2005..The balance between neuroprotectant and neurotoxicant actions of nicotine may be particularly important in situations where exposure to tobacco smoke is combined with other prooxidant insults...
- Effects of footshock stress on superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase enzyme activities and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances levels in the rat prefrontal cortex and striatumS Gonenc
Department of Physiology, Dokuz Eylul University Medical School, Balcova, 35340, Izmir, Turkey
Neurosci Lett 289:107-10. 2000..Stress did not change superoxide dismutase activity and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances levels...
- Antioxidant effect of Cytisus scoparius against carbon tetrachloride treated liver injury in ratsS Raja
School of Natural Product Studies, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700032, India
J Ethnopharmacol 109:41-7. 2007..SGOT), serum glutamate pyruvate transaminases (SGPT), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) along with reduction of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), reduced glutathione (..
- Diversion of the metabolic flux from pyruvate dehydrogenase to pyruvate oxidase decreases oxidative stress during glucose metabolism in nongrowing Escherichia coli cells incubated under aerobic, phosphate starvation conditionsPatrice L Moreau
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, 31 Chemin J Aiguier, 13009 Marseille, France
J Bacteriol 186:7364-8. 2004..However, high levels of H(2)O(2) may be reached transiently at the onset of stationary phase, primarily because H-NS may delay the metabolic shift from PDH to PoxB...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in patients with periodontitisKuppusamy Panjamurthy
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608002, India
Cell Mol Biol Lett 10:255-64. 2005..assess the degree of oxidative stress in patients with periodontitis by measuring their levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), enzymatic antioxidants (superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), glutathione peroxide ..
- Serum levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances predict cardiovascular events in patients with stable coronary artery disease: a longitudinal analysis of the PREVENT studyMary F Walter
Elucida Research, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1996-2002. 2004..The objective of this study was to test the predictive value of an oxidative stress biomarker in 634 patients from the Prospective Randomized Evaluation of the Vascular Effects of Norvasc Trial (PREVENT)...
- Antioxidant effect of Boerhavia diffusa L. in tissues of alloxan induced diabetic ratsM Amarnath Satheesh
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, India
Indian J Exp Biol 42:989-92. 2004..The results suggest that BLEt has remarkable antidiabetic activity and can improve antioxidant status in alloxan induced diabetic rats...
- Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective property of leaf extracts of Boerhaavia diffusa Linn against acetaminophen-induced liver damage in ratsM Tolulope Olaleye
Department of Biochemistry, School of Sciences, Federal University of Technology, PMB 704, Akure, Nigeria
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2200-5. 2010..These results indicated that leaf extracts from B. diffusa possess hepatoprotective property against acetaminophen-induced liver damage which may be mediated through augmentation of antioxidant defenses...
- Determination of carbonyl group content in plasma proteins as a useful marker to assess impairment in antioxidant defense in patients with Eales' diseaseMohanraj Rajesh
Department of Biochemistry Research, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:139-44. 2004..We evaluated the intensity of free radical reactions in patients with Eales' disease, an idiopathic inflammatory condition of the retina...
- Relationship between paraoxonase-1 (PON1) activity and lipoprotein (a) levels in Turkish coronary artery disease patients living in the Antalya regionYesim A Gocmen
Departments of aBiochemistry bCardiology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 12:185-6. 2005..Turkish adults have a high incidence of coronary artery disease (CAD)...
- Antioxidant enzymes and paraoxonase show a co-activity in preserving low-density lipoprotein from oxidationE Y Sozmen
Department of Biochemistry, Ege University Faculty of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Clin Exp Med 1:195-9. 2001..Since these enzymes all show activity against low-density lipoprotein oxidation, we propose that future investigations on atherosclerotic processes should address PON1 polymorphism as well as PON1 and other antioxidant enzymes...
- Elevated serum thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in clinically symptomatic schizophrenic malesClarissa Severino Gama
Laboratório de Psiquiatria Molecular, Centro de Pesquisas, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Neurosci Lett 433:270-3. 2008..Altered superoxide dismutase (SOD) and increased lipid peroxidation, measured by the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), are increased in schizophrenia...
- Antihyperglycemic and antilipidperoxidative effects of Pongamia pinnata (Linn.) Pierre flowers in alloxan induced diabetic ratsR Punitha
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 105:39-46. 2006..Hyperglycemia, elevated lipid peroxidation [thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS)] and disturbed nonenzymatic [Vitamin E, Vitamin C and glutathione] and enzymatic ..
- Oxidative stress and nitric oxide related parameters in type II diabetes mellitus: effects of glycemic controlA Aydin
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Toxicology, 06018, Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Biochem 34:65-70. 2001....
- Cognitive impairment of rats caused by oxidative stress and aging, and its prevention by vitamin EKoji Fukui
Division of Biological Chemistry, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3 9 14 Shibaura, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8548, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 959:275-84. 2002..These results suggest that oxidative damage to the rat synapse in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus during aging may contribute to the deficit of cognitive functions...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzyme status in Type 2 diabetics with coronary heart diseaseM M Kesavulu
Department of Biochemistry, School of Biological and Earth Sciences, Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati 517 502, Andhra Pradesh, India
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 53:33-9. 2001..The relationship between serum lipids, lipoproteins, lipid peroxides [thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS)] and erythrocyte antioxidant enzymes [catalase (CAT), glutathione peroxidase (GPx) and ..
- Fructose-enriched diet modifies antioxidant status and lipid metabolism in spontaneously hypertensive ratsAurelie Girard
UPRES Lipides Nutrition EA 2422, Faculte des Sciences Gabriel, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Nutrition 22:758-66. 2006..Changes in antioxidant defense are unknown in hypertension associated with metabolic disorders induced by high-fructose feeding...
- Correlates of markers of oxidative status in the general populationM Trevisan
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York, Buffalo, NY, USA
Am J Epidemiol 154:348-56. 2001..Oxidative status and antioxidant potentials appear to be significantly associated with a number of major cardiovascular disease risk factors; most of them are linked to abnormalities in glucose and insulin metabolism...
- The effect of exercise training on oxidative damage of lipids, proteins, and DNA in rat skeletal muscle: evidence for beneficial outcomesZ Radak
Laboratory of Exercise Physiology, Hungarian University of Physical Education, Budapest
Free Radic Biol Med 27:69-74. 1999..The concentration of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and 4-hydroxynonenal protein adducts did not differ in the gastrocnemius muscle between exercised ..
- Oxidative preconditioning affords protection against carbon tetrachloride-induced glycogen depletion and oxidative stress in ratsE Candelario-Jalil
Center for Research and Biological Evaluation, University of Havana, Institute of Pharmacy and Food Sciences, Apartado Postal 6079, Havana City 10600, Cuba
J Appl Toxicol 21:297-301. 2001..Our results showed that ozone treatment, in our experimental conditions, was able to prevent anaerobic glycolysis and oxidative stress induced by CCl(4)...
- Decreased oxidative stress in patients with idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy one year after immunoglobulin adsorptionI Schimke
Medizinische Klinik, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Germany
J Am Coll Cardiol 38:178-83. 2001....
- Modulation of selenite cataract by the flavonoid fraction of Emilia sonchifolia in experimental animal modelsY Lija
Department of Biochemistry, University of Kerala, Kariavattom, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala 695 581, India
Phytother Res 20:1091-5. 2006..The results suggest that flavonoids from ES can modulate lens opacification and oxidative stress in selenite-induced cataract...
- Influence of season and pollution on the antioxidant defenses of the cichlid fish acará (Geophagus brasiliensis)D Wilhelm Filho
Departamento de Ecologia e Zoologia, Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, 88040 900 Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 34:719-26. 2001..The higher antioxidant defenses found at the end of spring are probably related to the enhanced activities during high temperature periods in thermoconforming organisms...
- Effect of ethanolic extract of Embelia ribes on dyslipidemia in diabetic ratsUma Bhandari
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:159-62. 2002..The results of test drug were comparable to gliclazide (25 mg/kg, orally), a standard antihyperglycemic agent. This is the first pilot study to provide biochemical evidence of potential of E. ribes in diabetic dyslipidemia...
- Ocimum sanctum modulates selenite-induced cataractogenic changes and prevents rat lens opacificationSuresh K Gupta
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Curr Eye Res 30:583-91. 2005..To study the effect of Ocimum sanctum (OS) on selenite-induced morphological and biochemical changes in isolated rat lenses as well as on cataract incidence in rat pups...
- Do the serum oxidative stress biomarkers provide a reasonable index of the general oxidative stress status?Sandro Arguelles
Departamento de Bioquimica, Bromatologia y Toxicologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain
Biochim Biophys Acta 1674:251-9. 2004..Our results show that only lipid peroxides in serum could be useful to predict the oxidative stress in tissues. No correlation was found between any of the oxidative stress markers in serum...
- Facilitated nitration and oxidation of LDL in cigarette smokersY Yamaguchi
Mukogawa Women s University, 11 68 Koshien Kyuban cho, Nishinomiya 663 8179, Japan
Eur J Clin Invest 35:186-93. 2005..We investigated whether peroxynitrite, a reaction product of cigarette smoke, is involved in facilitated oxidation of LDL in smokers...
- Phenolic antioxidants attenuate hippocampal neuronal cell damage against kainic acid induced excitotoxicityM S Parihar
Biochemistry Division, Faculty of Life Science, School of Studies in Zoology, Vikram University, Ujjain 456 010, India
J Biosci 28:121-8. 2003....
- Effects of black tea extract on carbon tetrachloride-induced lipid peroxidation in liver, kidneys, and testes of ratsZaineb A Fadhel
College of Pharmacy, University of Petra, P O Box 961343, Amman, Jordan
Phytother Res 16:S28-32. 2002..tea against carbon tetrachloride-induced lipid peroxidation as determined by the formation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in liver, kidneys and testes of rats. A 0...
- Effect of leptin on peroxidation and antioxidant defense in ethanol-supplemented Mus musculus heartV Balasubramaniyan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002, Tamil Nadu, India
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 21:245-53. 2007..plasma levels of leptin, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), cardiac lipid hydroperoxides (LOOH) and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and significantly decreased cardiac superoxide dismutase, catalase, vitamin C, vitamin E, ..
- Oxidative DNA damage in rats exposed to extremely low frequency electro magnetic fieldsBeran Yokus
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary, Dicle University, 21280 Diyarbakir, Turkey
Free Radic Res 39:317-23. 2005..97 mT) on 8OHdG levels in DNA and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in plasma...
- A systematic review of the effect of the Excebrane dialyser on biomarkers of lipid peroxidationMarie Anne Sosa
Department of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Nephrol Dial Transplant 21:2825-33. 2006..We conducted a systematic review and meta-analysis to examine the effect of Excebrane, a vitamin E-coated cellulose-based dialyser, on circulating biomarkers of lipid peroxidation, as surrogate markers of oxidative stress...
- Rats fed a high sucrose diet have altered heart antioxidant enzyme activity and gene expressionJérôme Busserolles
Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Unité des Maladies Métaboliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Life Sci 71:1303-12. 2002..These findings confirm the pro-oxidant effect of high sucrose feeding to rats and highlight the NO/O(2)(*-) balance importance in oxidative homeostasis...
- Effects of leptin on oxidative stress in healthy and Streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsSebnem Gülen
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Mol Cell Biochem 302:59-65. 2007..The present study was designed to examine the effects of leptin treatment on plasma lipid peroxidation and reduced glutathion of normal and streptozotocin(STZ)-induced diabetic rats...
- Possible role of increased oxidant stress in multiple organ failure after systemic inflammatory response syndromeTakeshi Motoyama
Division of Intensive and Critical Care Medicine, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, 1 1 1 Honjo, Kumamoto City, 860 8556 Japan
Crit Care Med 31:1048-52. 2003..The objective of this report was to clarify the possible role of oxidative stress in the development of multiple organ failure (MOF) in patients with SIRS...
- Effects of prenatal nicotine exposure on primate brain development and attempted amelioration with supplemental choline or vitamin C: neurotransmitter receptors, cell signaling and cell development biomarkers in fetal brain regions of rhesus monkeysTheodore A Slotkin
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 30:129-44. 2005....
- Exhalation of H2O2 and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARs) by healthy subjectsD Nowak
Department of Physiology, Medical University of Lodz, Lodz, Poland
Free Radic Biol Med 30:178-86. 2001..Occasional detection of TBARs in EBC of never smoked persons may be a result of sufficient antioxidant activity in the airways that protects tissues from peroxidative damage...
- Oxidized LDL induces an oxidative stress and activates the tumor suppressor p53 in MRC5 human fibroblastsC Maziere
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, CHRU d Amiens, Place Victor Pauchet, Amiens Cedex 1, 80054, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 276:718-23. 2000..This effect might be related to the cytotoxic effect of OxLDL since the activation of p53 is known to lead to cell cycle arrest, necrosis or apoptosis...
- Elevated exhalation of hydrogen peroxide and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in patients with community acquired pneumoniaEdyta Majewska
Department of Experimental and Clinical Physiology, Institute of Physiology and Biochemistry, Medical University of Lodz, Mazowiecka St 6 8, 92 215 Lodz, Poland
Respir Med 98:669-76. 2004..These cells release oxidants including H2O2, that may be exhaled or induce peroxidative damage to lung tissues with formation of thiobarbituric reactive substances (TBARs)...
- Effect of exogenous leptin administration on high fat diet induced oxidative stressJ B Kalaivani Sailaja
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar, Tamilnadu, India
Pharmazie 59:475-9. 2004..Significantly elevated levels of tissue thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), conjugated dienes (CD) and significantly lowered levels of glutathione and its related ..
- Antioxidant efficacy of black pepper (Piper nigrum L.) and piperine in rats with high fat diet induced oxidative stressR S Vijayakumar
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu, India
Redox Rep 9:105-10. 2004..02 g/kg body weight) for a period of 10 weeks. Significantly elevated levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), conjugated dienes (CD) and significantly lowered activities of superoxide dismutase (SOD)..
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank A Anania; Fiscal Year: 2010..including weight loss, improved hepatic histology and loss of hepatic steatosis, and reduced thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TEARS), a surrogate marker of oxidative stress...
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank Anania; Fiscal Year: 2007..including weight loss, improved hepatic histology and loss of hepatic steatosis, and reduced thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TEARS), a surrogate marker of oxidative stress...
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank Anania; Fiscal Year: 2009..including weight loss, improved hepatic histology and loss of hepatic steatosis, and reduced thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TEARS), a surrogate marker of oxidative stress...
- Ambient Air Pollution, Preeclampsia/Preterm DeliveryCAROLE RUDRA; Fiscal Year: 2006..Additionally, we will test biological markers of maternal lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid reactive substances) and inflammation (high sensitivity C-reactive protein) in maternal blood samples drawn during ..
- Ambient Air Pollution, Preeclampsia, and Preterm DeliveryMichelle Williams; Fiscal Year: 2007..Additionally, we will test biological markers of maternal lipid peroxidation (thiobarbituric acid reactive substances) and inflammation (high sensitivity C-reactive protein) in maternal blood samples drawn during ..
- Novel Antioxidant Mechanisms of Surfactant ProteinsFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..Both proteins block accumulation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and conjugated dienes during metal-induced oxidation of surfactant phospholipids or low ..
- Role of Ras in Retinal Cell Death in DiabetesRenu Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results are expected to elucidate new insight into the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy, and reveal novel targets for therapies to prevent the development and progression of retinopathy. ..
- LDL Modification in Diabetic ComplicationsMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..This Phase II SBIR project will advance to the clinical stage a novel compound that prevents modifications of lipoproteins that occur in diabetes and that contribute to the development of these complications. ..
- Role of Ras in Retinal Cell Death in DiabetesRenu Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Glycemic Control and Progression of Diabetic RetinopathyRenu Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Point-of-Care Measurement of Glycated HemoglobinMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Reducing Renal TGF-B in Diabetic GlomerulosclerosisMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Glycemic Control and Progression of Diabetic RetinopathyRenu Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Glycemic Control and Progression of Diabetic RetinopathyRenu A Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Role of Ras in Retinal Cell Death in DiabetesRenu A Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results are expected to elucidate new insight into the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy, and reveal novel targets for therapies to prevent the development and progression of retinopathy. ..
- Glycemic Control and Progression of Diabetic RetinopathyRenu A Kowluru; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Is S-adenosyl Methionine a Nutrition: Genetic Link in AD?Thomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our proposed studies will further underscore crucial deleterious interplay between nutritional and genetic compromise in AD and may point towards the development of therapeutic approaches using dietary SAM. ..
- Cardioprotective Efficacy ofMg-Supplementation during HAART TherapyIVAN TONG MAK; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Protective Efficacy of Mg-Supplementation Against NRTI-induced Cardiac ToxicityIVAN MAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposed exploratory effort may reveal a potential usefulness of Mg-supplements as an effective, yet relatively inexpensive adjunct therapy to lessen NRTI-related cardiovascular toxicity. ..
- Long Term Toxicity of Di- and Tri-ChloroacetateEzdihar Hassoun; Fiscal Year: 2007..These can be used as basis to determine similar indicators for human risks from exposure to the compounds in the drinking water, and also to adjust the allowable amounts of the compounds in the drinking water. ..
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 1980....
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 1992....
- Fetal & Adolescent Nicotine Effects on CNS 5HT SystemsTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- ENHANCEMENT OF CORONARY CONSTRICTION BY COMBUSTION-SOURCE AIR TOXICSMatthew Campen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from these studies will assist in the assessment and management of personal risk of health effects from air pollution exposure. ..
- ENHANCEMENT OF CORONARY CONSTRICTION BY COMBUSTION-SOURCE AIR TOXICSMatthew J Campen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Results from these studies will assist in the assessment and management of personal risk of health effects from air pollution exposure. ..
- ENHANCEMENT OF CORONARY CONSTRICTION BY COMBUSTION-SOURCE AIR TOXICSMatthew J Campen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Results from these studies will assist in the assessment and management of personal risk of health effects from air pollution exposure. ..