Genomes and Genes
thiobarbituric acid reactive substances
Summary: Low-molecular-weight end products, probably malondialdehyde, that are formed during the decomposition of lipid peroxidation products. These compounds react with thiobarbituric acid to form a fluorescent red adduct.
Publications261 found, 100 shown here
- Diabetes, oxidative stress, and antioxidants: a reviewA C Maritim
Moi University, College of Health Sciences, Eldoret, Kenya
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17:24-38. 2003....
- Increased oxidative stress in obesity and its impact on metabolic syndromeShigetada Furukawa
Department of Medicine and Pathophysiology, Graduate School of Medicine, Department of Organismal Biosystems, Graduate School of Frontier Biosciences, Osaka University, 2 2 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
J Clin Invest 114:1752-61. 2004....
- Method for the measurement of antioxidant activity in human fluidsD Koracevic
Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty, University Clinical Center, Nis, Yugoslavia
J Clin Pathol 54:356-61. 2001..To develop a new, simple, and cheap method for estimating antioxidant activity in human fluids...
- Zinc supplementation prevents the increase of transaminase in chronic hepatitis C patients during combination therapy with pegylated interferon alpha-2b and ribavirinYasuko Murakami
Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Health and Welfare Science, Okayama Prefectural University, Okayama 719 1197, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 53:213-8. 2007..Polaprezinc supplementation decreased plasma thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and prevented the decrease of polyunsaturated fatty acids of erythrocyte membrane phospholipids...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidants in patients with cardiogenic shock complicating acute myocardial infarctionS Senthil
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Clin Chim Acta 348:131-7. 2004..The view that an excess of lipid peroxidation products is present and is relevant in the pathogenesis of cardiogenic shock-induced damage has still not received definitive support...
- The effect of whole-body cryostimulation on the prooxidant-antioxidant balance in blood of elite kayakers after trainingAlina Wozniak
Collegium Medicum, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Department and Clinic of Neurosurgery and Neurotraumatology, Karłowicza 24, 85 092, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Eur J Appl Physiol 101:533-7. 2007..01) as compared to control training. Whole-body cryostimulation per se stimulates the generation of reactive oxygen species. Yet, the oxidative stress induced by kayak training was reduced by prior exposure to extremely low temperatures...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in neonates born to pre-eclamptic motherMd Zakir H Howlader
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Dhaka, Dhaka 1000, Bangladesh
J Trop Pediatr 55:363-7. 2009..To observe the effect of pre-eclampsia on neonates, this study was designed to explore oxidative stress and anti-oxidant status in the fetal circulation in pre-eclampsia...
- Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in non-metastatic prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasiaAhmet Aydin
Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Department of Toxicology, 06018 Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Biochem 39:176-9. 2006..We undertook the present study to investigate the possible alteration of oxidant/antioxidant status in the circulation of patients with prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Tea catechins protect against lead-induced cytotoxicity, lipid peroxidation, and membrane fluidity in HepG2 cellsLiuji Chen
Department of Tea Science, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China 310029
Toxicol Sci 69:149-56. 2002..The results suggest that tea catechin supplementation may have a role to play in modulating oxidative stress in lead-exposed HepG2 cells...
- Oxidative stress in severely obese persons is greater in those with insulin resistanceFrancisco J Tinahones
Servicio de Endocrinologia y Nutricion, Hospital Clinico Virgen de la Victoria, Malaga, Spain
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:240-6. 2009..various antioxidant enzymes, the total antioxidant capacity (TAC) and the plasma concentration of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS)...
- Strenuous endurance training in humans reduces oxidative stress following exhausting exerciseH Miyazaki
Institute of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Tsukuba, 1 1 1 Tennodai, Tsukuba 305 8574, Japan
Eur J Appl Physiol 84:1-6. 2001..production in response to exhausting exercise. Furthermore, this up-regulation in antioxidant defences was accompanied by a reduction in exercise-induced lipid peroxidation in erythrocyte membrane...
- Effect of different models of physical exercise on oxidative stress markers in mouse liverLuciano A da Silva
Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense UNESC, Laboratorio de Fisiologia e Bioquimica do Exercicio, Bloco da Saude, Av Universitaria, 1105, Bairro Universitario, 88806 000, Criciuma, Santa Catarina, Brazil
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:60-5. 2009..Our findings indicate that CR and D-HR may be important for decreasing oxidative damage and in the regulation of antioxidant enzymes (SOD and CAT) in the livers of trained mice...
- Preventive effect of naringin on lipid peroxides and antioxidants in isoproterenol-induced cardiotoxicity in Wistar rats: biochemical and histopathological evidencesM Rajadurai
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Toxicology 228:259-68. 2006..injection of ISO (85 mg/kg) to male Wistar rats showed a significant increase in the levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and lipid hydroperoxides in plasma and the heart and a significant decrease in the activities of ..
- Antioxidative characteristics and inhibition of alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone-stimulated melanogenesis of vanillin and vanillic acid from Origanum vulgareTzung Han Chou
Department of Cosmetic Science, Chia Nan University of Pharmacy and Science, Tainan, Taiwan
Exp Dermatol 19:742-50. 2010..These results supported that vanillic acid is a significantly stronger antioxidant than vanillin and exhibited stronger antimelanogenesis performance because of the structural presence of the carboxyl group...
- High-dose vitamin C infusion reduces fluid requirements in the resuscitation of burn-injured sheepMichael A Dubick
U S Army Institute of Surgical Research, San Antonio, Texas 78234 6315, USA
Shock 24:139-44. 2005..VC infusion also prevented the 4-fold increase in plasma thiobarbituric acid reactive substances seen in the LR group early after burn (P < 0.05)...
- Protective effects of Digera muricata (L.) Mart. on testis against oxidative stress of carbon tetrachloride in ratMuhammad Rashid Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan
Food Chem Toxicol 47:1393-9. 2009..muricata treatment augments the antioxidants defense mechanism against carbon tetrachloride induced toxicity and provides evidence that it may have a therapeutic role in free radical mediated diseases...
- Time-dependent changes of myocardial and systemic oxidative stress are dissociated after myocardial infarctionTakahiro Inoue
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kyushu University, Fukuoka 812 8582, Japan
Free Radic Res 43:37-46. 2009....
- Facilitated nitration and oxidation of LDL in cigarette smokersY Yamaguchi
Mukogawa Women s University, 11 68 Koshien Kyuban cho, Nishinomiya 663 8179, Japan
Eur J Clin Invest 35:186-93. 2005..We investigated whether peroxynitrite, a reaction product of cigarette smoke, is involved in facilitated oxidation of LDL in smokers...
- Elevated serum superoxide dismutase and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in schizophrenia: a study of patients treated with haloperidol or clozapineClarissa Severino Gama
Departamento de Psiquiatria, Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre HCPA, Laboratório de Psiquiatria Experimental Hospital de Clínicas de Porto Alegre, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul UFRGS, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:512-5. 2006..Additionally it could also address questions concerning a possible oxidant/antioxidant imbalance in schizophrenia...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in preeclampsia: a systematic reviewSajal Gupta
Glickman Urological and Kidney Institute, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Obstet Gynecol Surv 64:750-9. 2009..Preeclampsia is characterized by increased lipid peroxidation and diminished antioxidant capacity; however, there is no consensus as to the extent of these conditions...
- Estrogen, neutrophils and oxidationKenneth Chiang
Department of Pathology, LSU Health Science Center, 533 Bolivar St, 747 CSRB, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Life Sci 75:2425-38. 2004..Our study also suggests that estradiol by promoting oxidation in the plasma is beneficial in preventing CVD...
- Lipid peroxidation and the thiobarbituric acid assay: standardization of the assay when using saturated and unsaturated fatty acidsLeonard T Rael
Department of Trauma Research and Trauma Services, Swedish Medical Center, 501 E Hampden Avenue, Englewood, CO 80113, USA
J Biochem Mol Biol 37:749-52. 2004..These findings demonstrate the need to standardize the TBARS assay using multiple fatty acid concentrations when using this assay for measuring in vitro lipid peroxidation...
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition abrogates hydrogen sulfide-induced cardioprotection in miceBhavesh Sojitra
Division of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, India
Mol Cell Biochem 360:61-9. 2012..05) abrogated by NaHS administration as evidenced from reduction in elevated thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and normalization of glutathione (GSH), glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase (SOD)..
- Garlic provides protection to mice heart against isoproterenol-induced oxidative damage: role of nitric oxideTarak Nath Khatua
Division of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology IICT, Hyderabad 500607, India
Nitric Oxide 27:9-17. 2012..In conclusion, our study provides novel evidence that garlic homogenate is protective in myocardial infarction via NO-signaling pathway in mice...
- Brain antioxidant markers, cognitive performance and acetylcholinesterase activity of rats: efficiency of Sonchus asperRahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Biological Sciences, University of Science and Technology Bannu, Bannu, Pakistan
Behav Brain Funct 8:21. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of polyphenolic rich methanolic fraction of SA on cognitive performance, brain antioxidant activities and acetylcholinesterase activity in male rats...
- Cardiac oxidative stress in acute and chronic isoproterenol-infused ratsGuo Xing Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Kagawa University Medical School, 1750 1 Ikenobe, Miki, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Cardiovasc Res 65:230-8. 2005..This study aimed to clarify the role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in mitogen-activated protein (MAP) kinase activation and tissue remodeling of the heart of isoproterenol (ISO)-infused rats...
- Simultaneous production of carbon monoxide and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in rat tissue preparations by an iron-ascorbate systemH J Vreman
Department of Pediatrics, Neonatal and Developmental Medicine Laboratory, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305 5208, USA
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:1057-65. 1998..CO produced into the headspace was quantitated by gas chromatography. Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), conjugated dienes (CD), and lipid hydroperoxides (LOOH) in the reaction medium were ..
- Pancreas beta-cells morphology, liver antioxidant enzymes and liver oxidative parameters in alloxan-resistant and alloxan-susceptible Wistar rats: a viable model system for the study of concepts into reactive oxygen speciesGuilherme Antonio Behr
Centro de Estudos em Estresse Oxidativo, Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Ciencias Basicas da Saude, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 22:657-66. 2008..These results suggest an increased regenerative or recovery process in the ALR rat pancreatic islets and an increased hepatic antioxidant defenses in these group of alloxan-resistant rats...
- Oxidative stress and pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease: an epiphenomenon or the cause?Ali Rezaie
Department of Community Health Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada
Dig Dis Sci 52:2015-21. 2007..Moreover, the effects of antioxidant therapy on IBD patients in randomized, controlled trials were reviewed and the need for further studies elaborated. We also summarized the evidence in support for causality of oxidative stress in IBD...
- Increased oxidative stress indices in the blood of child swimmersSofia Gougoura
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Thessaly, 26 Ploutonos Str, 41221 Larissa, Greece
Eur J Appl Physiol 100:235-9. 2007....
- Aqueous extract of Ilex paraguariensis attenuates the progression of atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbitsAna Luiza Pamplona Mosimann
Department of Clinical Analysis, Health Sciences Center, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC, Brazil
Biofactors 26:59-70. 2006..05). The results showed that Ilex paraguariensis extract can inhibit the progression of atherosclerosis in cholesterol-fed rabbits, although it did not decrease the serum cholesterol or aortic TBARS and antioxidant enzymes...
- Elevated serum superoxide dismutase and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in different phases of bipolar disorder and in schizophreniaMauricio Kunz
Laboratório de Psiquiatria Molecular, Centro de Pesquisas, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Programa de Pós Graduação em Medicina Psiquiatria, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Rua Ramiro Barcelos, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 32:1677-81. 2008..There is an increasing body of evidence suggesting that oxidative stress may play a role in the pathophysiology of both schizophrenia (SZ) and bipolar disorder (BD)...
- ROS during the acute phase of Ang II hypertension participates in cardiovascular MAPK activation but not vasoconstrictionGuo Xing Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, Kagawa University Medical School, 1750 1 Miki cho, Kagawa 761 0793, Japan
Hypertension 43:117-24. 2004....
- Decreased blood oxidative stress after repeated muscle-damaging exerciseMichalis G Nikolaidis
Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, University of Thessaly, Larissa, Greece
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1080-9. 2007..To examine the effect of repeated muscle-damaging exercise on the time-course changes in several indices of muscle damage, and to compare them with changes in blood oxidative stress indices...
- Relationship between expression of HSP70 and metallothionein and oxidative stress during mercury chloride induced acute liver injury in ratsIsabel Sánchez Reus
Instituto de Bioquímica CSIC UCM, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Plaza de Ramón y Cajal sn, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Biochem Mol Toxicol 17:161-8. 2003..Oxidative stress was detected by a significant decrease in protein-SH and an increase in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in liver following one dose of mercury...
- Utility of the TBARS assay in detecting oxidative stress in white sucker (Catostomus commersoni) populations exposed to pulp mill effluentKen D Oakes
Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, Canada N1G 2W1
Aquat Toxicol 63:447-63. 2003..This study indicates oxidative stress could be a mechanism of toxicity in fish exposed to pulp mill effluent and demonstrates the utility of TBARS in delineating zones of exposure to pulp mill effluent...
- Antioxidant activity and hepatoprotective property of leaf extracts of Boerhaavia diffusa Linn against acetaminophen-induced liver damage in ratsM Tolulope Olaleye
Department of Biochemistry, School of Sciences, Federal University of Technology, PMB 704, Akure, Nigeria
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2200-5. 2010..These results indicated that leaf extracts from B. diffusa possess hepatoprotective property against acetaminophen-induced liver damage which may be mediated through augmentation of antioxidant defenses...
- Immobilization stress in rat tissues: alterations in protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation and antioxidant defense systemEmel Sahin
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, 07070 Antalya, Turkey
Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 144:342-7. 2007..Our results showed that the response of antioxidant defense system to stress differs for each tissue, and protein oxidation and lipid peroxidation is induced by immobilization stress in peripheral tissues...
- Effect of chronic treatment with bark of Terminalia arjuna: a study on the isolated ischemic-reperfused rat heartK Gauthaman
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, 110 029, New Delhi, India
J Ethnopharmacol 75:197-201. 2001..The results suggest that crude bark of TA augments endogenous antioxidant compounds of rat heart and also prevents oxidative stress associated with IRI of the heart...
- Quercetin prevents oxidative stress in cirrhotic ratsPavanato Maria Amália
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Federal University of Santa Maria, Santa Maria, Brazil
Dig Dis Sci 52:2616-21. 2007..Quercetin (50 mg/kg/day) successfully attenuated these effects of CCl(4). We conclude that quercetin has beneficial effects on liver fibrosis in rats by enhancing antioxidant enzyme activity and decreasing the pro-oxidant effect...
- Effects of dietary vitamin E supplementation on lipid oxidation and volatiles content of irradiated, cooked turkey meat patties with different packagingD U Ahn
Animal Science Department, Iowa State University, Ames 50011, USA
Poult Sci 77:912-20. 1998..However, the combination of dietary TA and vacuum packaging of cooked meat immediately after cooking could be a good strategy to minimize oxidation and volatiles production in cooked meat...
- Antihyperglycaemic activity of Musa sapientum flowers: effect on lipid peroxidation in alloxan diabetic ratsL Pari
Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
Phytother Res 14:136-8. 2000..The decrease in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and the increase in reduced glutathione (GSH), glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px), ..
- Sampling time is crucial for measurement of aerobic exercise-induced oxidative stressYiannis Michailidis
Department of Physical Education and Sport Science, Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini, Greece
Med Sci Sports Exerc 39:1107-13. 2007..To thoroughly investigate the time-course changes of several commonly used markers of oxidative stress by performing serial measurements during a 24-h period after an acute bout of strenuous cardiovascular exercise...
- Detoxification and oxidative stress responses along with microcystins accumulation in Japanese quail exposed to cyanobacterial biomassVeronika Paskova
Centre for Cyanobacteria and Their Toxins Institute of Botany, The Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic and RECETOX, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Sci Total Environ 398:34-47. 2008..The data also suggest that increased activities of detoxification enzymes could lead to greater biotransformation and elimination of the MCs at the longer exposure time...
- Naringin supplementation lowers plasma lipids and enhances erythrocyte antioxidant enzyme activities in hypercholesterolemic subjectsU J Jung
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea
Clin Nutr 22:561-8. 2003..Accordingly, the present study was conducted to investigate the effect of naringin on hypercholesterolemic subjects...
- Evaluation of Launaea procumbens use in renal disorders: a rat modelRahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University Islamabad, 4400 Pakistan
J Ethnopharmacol 128:452-61. 2010..Launaea procumbens is used ethnopharmacologically in renal disorders. Its methanolic, chloroform, ethyl acetate, and n-hexane fractions were evaluated against CCl(4)-induced nephrotoxicity in rat...
- Antioxidant effect of Cytisus scoparius against carbon tetrachloride treated liver injury in ratsS Raja
School of Natural Product Studies, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata 700032, India
J Ethnopharmacol 109:41-7. 2007..SGOT), serum glutamate pyruvate transaminases (SGPT), lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) along with reduction of superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), reduced glutathione (..
- Effects of quercetin on liver damage in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced cirrhosisAmalia Pavanato
ULBRA Cachoeira do Sul e Canoas, Brasil
Dig Dis Sci 48:824-9. 2003..Those effects were associated with an increased total peroxyl radical-trapping antioxidant capacity of liver. We conclude that quercetin is effective in this model of liver damage...
- Serum levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances predict cardiovascular events in patients with stable coronary artery disease: a longitudinal analysis of the PREVENT studyMary F Walter
Elucida Research, Beverly, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1996-2002. 2004..The objective of this study was to test the predictive value of an oxidative stress biomarker in 634 patients from the Prospective Randomized Evaluation of the Vascular Effects of Norvasc Trial (PREVENT)...
- Iron chelation abrogates excessive formation of hydroxyl radicals and lipid peroxidation products in monocytes of patients with Eales' disease: direct evidence using electron spin resonance spectroscopyMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 28:399-407. 2004..Hence in the present study we have investigated the role of MC activation and hydroxyl radicals (OH) production and its possible involvement in promoting the development of retinal vasculitis in patients with ED...
- Cognitive impairment of rats caused by oxidative stress and aging, and its prevention by vitamin EKoji Fukui
Division of Biological Chemistry, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3 9 14 Shibaura, Minato ku, Tokyo 108 8548, Japan
Ann N Y Acad Sci 959:275-84. 2002..These results suggest that oxidative damage to the rat synapse in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus during aging may contribute to the deficit of cognitive functions...
- Prevention of CCl4-induced nephrotoxicity with Sonchus asper in ratRahmat Ali Khan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Quaid i Azam University, Islamabad 4400, Pakistan
Food Chem Toxicol 48:2469-76. 2010..The present data suggests that SAME protect the kidneys possibly by alleviating the oxidative stress induced with CCl(4) in rat...
- Responses of rat myocardial antioxidant defences and heat shock protein HSP72 induced by 12 and 24-week treadmill trainingM Moran
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology I, Faculty of Biology, Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
Acta Physiol Scand 180:157-66. 2004....
- Local treatment of experimental colitis in the rat by negatively charged liposomes of catalase, TMN and SODTareq Taha Jubeh
Faculty of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, P O Box 12065, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Drug Target 14:155-63. 2006..This study suggests that low and high molecular weight antioxidants delivered via anionic liposomes can serve as a novel targeted therapy to treat chronic inflammation of the colonic epithelium, such as ulcerative colitis...
- Serum PON1 arylesterase activity in relation to hyperhomocysteinaemia and oxidative stress in young adult central retinal venous occlusion patientsN Angayarkanni
Biochemistry Research Department, Sankara Nethralaya, Vision Research Foundation, Chennai, India
Eye (Lond) 22:969-74. 2008....
- Elevation of free fatty acids induces inflammation and impairs vascular reactivity in healthy subjectsDevjit Tripathy
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, State University of New York and Kaleida Health, Buffalo, New York 14209, USA
Diabetes 52:2882-7. 2003..1% (P < 0.01) at 2, 4, and 6 h, respectively. We conclude that an increase in FFA concentration induces oxidative stress and has a proinflammatory effect; it also impairs postischemic flow-mediated vasodilation of the brachial artery...
- Inhibition of lipid peroxidation by botanical extracts of Ocimum sanctum: in vivo and in vitro studiesR Kedlaya Geetha
DVS College of Arts and Science, Shimoga, Pin 577 201, Karnataka, India
Life Sci 76:21-8. 2004..Aqueous extract feeding also provided significant liver and aortic tissue protection from hypercholesterolemia-induced peroxidative damage...
- Effects of ovariectomy and resistance training on oxidative stress markers in the rat liverMaria Fernanda Cury Rodrigues
Laboratory Exercise of Physiology, Department of Physiological Sciences, Federal University of Sao Carlos, São CarlosSP, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 68:1247-54. 2013..The objective of this study was to assess the effects of resistance training on oxidative stress markers in the livers of ovariectomized rats...
- Interaction between overtraining and the interindividual variability may (not) trigger muscle oxidative stress and cardiomyocyte apoptosis in ratsRodrigo Luíz Perroni Ferraresso
Laboratory of Exercise Biochemistry, Biology Institute, University of Campinas, 13083 970 Campinas, SP, Brazil
Oxid Med Cell Longev 2012:935483. 2012..Blood lipid peroxides may be a suitable biomarker for muscle oxidative stress that is unrelated to severe muscle damage...
- Hypoxia-induced lipid peroxidation in the brain during postnatal ontogenesisH Rauchova
Centre for Cardiovascular Research, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 61:S89-101. 2012..The obtained data seem to be important because the variations in oxygen tension represent specific signals of regulating the activity of many specific systems in the organism...
- Time course of skeletal muscle loss and oxidative stress in rats with Walker 256 solid tumorFlávia A Guarnier
Pathophysiology Laboratory of Free Radicals, Department of Pathological Sciences, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, 86051 990 Londrina, Brazil, Brazil
Muscle Nerve 42:950-8. 2010..Carbonylated proteins and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances were measured. Chemiluminescence was employed for lipid hydroperoxide estimation...
- Association between cigarette smoking and lipid peroxidation in a controlled feeding studyE R Miller
Welch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21205 2223, USA
Circulation 96:1097-101. 1997....
- The concentration of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and paraoxonase activity in blood of patients with osteoarthrosis after endoprosthesis implantationDorota M Olszewska-Słonina
Department of Medical Biology, Collegium Medicum, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Bydgoszcz, Poland
Med Sci Monit 17:CR498-504. 2011....
- Protective effect of propofol against kainic acid-induced lipid peroxidation in mouse brain homogenates: comparison with trolox and melatoninHyung Lee
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Keimyung University, Taegu, South Korea
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 17:144-8. 2005..We conclude that the antioxidant properties of propofol at clinically relevant anesthetic concentrations may have a neuroprotective effect...
- Diurnal rhythmicity of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances and antioxidants in experimental mammary carcinogenesisK Kolanjiappan
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608002, Tamil Nadu, India
Exp Oncol 27:298-302. 2005..Our aim was to analyze the circadian pattern of lipid peroxidation by-products (TBARS) and antioxidants status in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene (DMBA) induced rat mammary carcinogenesis...
- Serum oxidant and antioxidant status during early and late recovery periods following an all-out 21-km run in trained adolescent runnersYe Tian
China Institute of Sport Science, 11 Tiyuguan Road, Chongwen District, Beijing, China
Eur J Appl Physiol 110:971-6. 2010....
- Plasma lipid peroxidation products and antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusH M Turk
Department of Internal Medicine, Sahinbey Medical Center, Gaziantep University, School of Medicine, Gaziantep, Turkey
Acta Diabetol 39:117-22. 2002Diabetes is associated with a significant increase in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) which are considered as an index of endogenous lipid peroxidation...
- Effect of ethanolic extract of Embelia ribes on dyslipidemia in diabetic ratsUma Bhandari
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Hamdard University, New Delhi, India
Int J Exp Diabetes Res 3:159-62. 2002..The results of test drug were comparable to gliclazide (25 mg/kg, orally), a standard antihyperglycemic agent. This is the first pilot study to provide biochemical evidence of potential of E. ribes in diabetic dyslipidemia...
- Eruca sativa seeds possess antioxidant activity and exert a protective effect on mercuric chloride induced renal toxicityM Sarwar Alam
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Jamia Hamdard, Hamdard Nagar, New Delhi 110 062, India
Food Chem Toxicol 45:910-20. 2007..The data obtained in the present study suggests E. sativa seeds to possess a potent antioxidant and renal protective activity and preclude oxidative damage inflicted to the kidney...
- Antioxidant effects of a grape seed extract in a rat model of diabetes mellitusIrina C Chis
Department of Physiology, Iuliu Hatieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Cluj Napoca, Romania
Diab Vasc Dis Res 6:200-4. 2009..These results suggested that the grape seed extract enhanced the antioxidant defence against reactive oxygen species produced under hyperglycaemic conditions, hence protecting the liver cells...
- A high fat diet inhibits delta-aminolevulinate dehydratase and increases lipid peroxidation in mice (Mus musculus)Vanderlei Folmer
Departamento de Quimica, Centro de Ciencias Naturais e Exatas, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, 97105 900, Santa Maria, RS, Brasil
J Nutr 133:2165-70. 2003..60) tissues. The results of this study indicate that consumption of a high fat diet promotes oxidative stress related to hyperglycemia, which in turn can stimulate glycation of proteins leading to delta-ALA-D inhibition in mice...
- Peroxide-induced cell death and lipid peroxidation in C6 glioma cellsArne Linden
Institute for Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Brunswiker Strasse 10, 24105 Kiel, Germany
Toxicol In Vitro 22:1371-6. 2008..Lipid peroxidation was characterised by measuring thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and, by HPLC, malondialdehyde (MDA), 4-hydroxynonenal (4-HNE) and hexanal...
- In-vitro and in-vivo antioxidant activity of different extracts of the leaves of Clerodendron colebrookianum Walp in the ratD Rajlakshmi
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:1681-6. 2003..b>Thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), as a marker of lipid peroxidation, and some cellular antioxidants (superoxide dismutase, ..
- Plasma reactive carbonyl species levels and risk of non-alcoholic fatty liver diseaseShenglin Liu
The Key Laboratory of Protein Chemistry and Developmental Biology of Ministry of Education, College of Life Sciences, Hunan Normal University, Changsha, Hunan, China
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 26:1010-5. 2011..This study is to test the hypothesis that elevated oxidative stress is a direct risk factor for the pathogenesis of NAFLD under controlling the potential effects of covariates...
- Oxidative stress in mouse plasma and lungs induced by cigarette smoke and lipopolysaccharideSamuel Santos Valenca
Tissue and Repair Laboratory, Department of Histology and Embryology, Rio de Janeiro State University, Brazil
Environ Res 108:199-204. 2008....
- Caspase inhibition does not protect against liver damage in hemorrhagic shockJose L Mauriz
Department of Physiology, University of Leon, Spain
Shock 19:33-7. 2003..These parameters were not significantly modified by pretreatment with Z-DEVD-FMK. It appears that caspase inhibition does not attenuate hepatocellular depression and liver injury induced by hemorrhagic shock and resuscitation...
- Diethyldithiocarbamate injection induces transient oxidative stress in goldfish tissuesVolodymyr I Lushchak
Department of Biochemistry, Precarpathian National University named after Vassyl Stefanyk, 57 Shevchenko Str, Ivano Frankivsk, Ukraine
Chem Biol Interact 170:1-8. 2007..Different actions of the superoxide anion in cellular metabolism and possible consequences of the impairment of superoxide dismutase are discussed...
- Antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation in the scalp of patients with alopecia areataAhmet Akar
Department of Dermatology, GATA School of Medicine, 06018, Ankara, Turkey
J Dermatol Sci 29:85-90. 2002..We measured the levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) as lipid peroxidation status, superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GSH-..
- Protective effect of N-acetylcysteine on early outcomes of deceased renal transplantationA Danilovic
Division of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of São Paulo General Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Transplant Proc 43:1443-9. 2011..Serum levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), were employed as markers of oxidative stress...
- Antihyperglycemic and antioxidant activities of medicinal plant Stereospermum suaveolens in streptozotocin-induced diabetic ratsT Balasubramanian
Division of Pharmacology, Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
J Diet Suppl 6:227-51. 2009..EESS showed reduction in thiobarbituric acid reactive substances level and significantly increased the body weight (P < ...
- Lipid stability and antioxidant profile of microsomal fraction of broiler meat enriched with α-lipoic acid and α-tocopherol acetateMuhammad S Arshad
National Institute of Food Science and Technology, Faisalabad, Pakistan
J Agric Food Chem 59:7346-52. 2011..63 ± 0.008 μg/mg of protein), in which the only oxidized oil was used. Oxidized oil in feed reduced weight gain and increased TBARS, whereas TPC, DPPH, ALA, and ATA values decreased in both leg and breast meat...
- 4-hydroxycinnamate lowers plasma and hepatic lipids without changing antioxidant enzyme activitiesJeong Sun Lee
Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Kyungpook National University, Taegu, Korea
Ann Nutr Metab 47:144-51. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the influence of 4-hydroxycinnamate (4-(OH)-C) supplement on the lipid metabolism and antioxidant system of rats fed a high-cholesterol diet...
- Lipid-lowering and antioxidant effects of an ethyl acetate extract of fenugreek seeds in high-cholesterol-fed ratsOlfa Belguith-Hadriche
Unite de recherche DGRST 02 08 20, Laboratoire de Biochimie, Faculte de Medecine de Sfax, Tunisie
J Agric Food Chem 58:2116-22. 2010..The plasma lipid levels, total phenolics, and total flavonoid contents were measured, and the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and antioxidant activities were examined...
- Acute exhaustive exercise does not alter lipid peroxidation levels and antioxidant enzyme activities in rat hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatumOsman Acikgoz
Dokuz Eylul University, School of Medicine, Department of Physiology, Balcova, 35340 Izmir, Turkey
Neurosci Lett 406:148-51. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of exhaustive exercise on thiobarbituric acid reactive substances, as an indicator of lipid peroxidation, in the hippocampus, prefrontal cortex and striatum...
- Influence of dietary vitamin E and C supplementation on vitamin E and C content and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) in different tissues of growing pigsBarbara Eichenberger
Institute of Animal Sciences, Nutrition Biology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Arch Anim Nutr 58:195-208. 2004..In backfat outer layer vitamin E was positively correlated with rancimat induction time (r = 0.550) and negatively with TBARS (r = -0.202), but provided no evidence that dietary vitamin E supply led to better oxidative stability...
- Ghrelin promotes antioxidant enzyme activity and reduces lipid peroxidation in the rat ovaryArash Kheradmand
Department of Clinical Sciences, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Lorestan, P O Box 465, Khorram Abad, Iran
Regul Pept 162:84-9. 2010..for later antioxidant enzyme activity assays as well as measurement of glutathione content and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) level. Superoxide dismutase activity was significantly higher on days 9 (P<0...
- Increase in Fe3+/Fe2+ ratio and iron-induced oxidative stress in Eales disease and presence of ferrous iron in circulating transferrinRadhakrishnan Selvi
Biochemistry Research Department, Sankara Nethralaya, Vision Research Foundation, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 32:677-83. 2007..Total iron, ferrous iron, thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), and ceruloplasmin were estimated in the blood samples of patients with inflammation, ..
- Hesperidin, a citrus bioflavonoid, decreases the oxidative stress produced by carbon tetrachloride in rat liver and kidneyNaveen Tirkey
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
BMC Pharmacol 5:2. 2005..The present study was designed to establish the protective effect of hesperidin (HDN), a citrus bioflavonoid, on CCl4-induced oxidative stress and resultant dysfunction of rat liver and kidney...
- Mechanism for obesity-induced increase in myocardial lipid peroxidationH K Vincent
Department of Exercise and Sport Sciences, Center for Exercise Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 25:378-88. 2001....
- Exercise-induced oxidative stress leads hemolysis in sedentary but not trained humansUmit Kemal Sentürk
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Akdeniz University, Kampus, Antalya, Turkey
J Appl Physiol (1985) 99:1434-41. 2005..These findings suggest that the exercise-induced oxidative stress may contribute to exercise-induced hemolysis in sedentary humans...
- Accumulation of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine and its relationship with antioxidant parameters in patients with Eales' disease: implications for antioxidant therapyMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Research Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Curr Eye Res 27:103-10. 2003..Hence the aim of the present study was to determine the levels of 8-hydroxy-2'deoxyguanosine (8-OHdG) and to correlate it with the antioxidant and oxidant parameters in patients with ED and healthy control subjects...
- Radioprotective and antioxidant properties of low-altitude Podophyllum hexandrum (LAPH)Rajesh Arora
Division of Radiopharmaceuticals and Radiation Biology, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, Delhi, India
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 24:299-314. 2005....
- Involvement of oxidative and nitrosative stress in promoting retinal vasculitis in patients with Eales' diseaseMohanraj Rajesh
Biochemistry Research Department, Vision Research Foundation, Sankara Nethralaya, 600006 Chennai, India
Clin Biochem 36:377-85. 2003..In the present study, we have investigated the possible role of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species (RNS) in causing retinal tissue damage in ED...
- Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in patients with periodontitisKuppusamy Panjamurthy
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608002, India
Cell Mol Biol Lett 10:255-64. 2005..assess the degree of oxidative stress in patients with periodontitis by measuring their levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), enzymatic antioxidants (superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT), glutathione peroxide ..
- Diversion of the metabolic flux from pyruvate dehydrogenase to pyruvate oxidase decreases oxidative stress during glucose metabolism in nongrowing Escherichia coli cells incubated under aerobic, phosphate starvation conditionsPatrice L Moreau
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Laboratoire de Chimie Bacterienne, 31 Chemin J Aiguier, 13009 Marseille, France
J Bacteriol 186:7364-8. 2004..However, high levels of H(2)O(2) may be reached transiently at the onset of stationary phase, primarily because H-NS may delay the metabolic shift from PDH to PoxB...
- Oxidative mechanisms contributing to the developmental neurotoxicity of nicotine and chlorpyrifosDan Qiao
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 206:17-26. 2005..The balance between neuroprotectant and neurotoxicant actions of nicotine may be particularly important in situations where exposure to tobacco smoke is combined with other prooxidant insults...
- Effects of footshock stress on superoxide dismutase and glutathione peroxidase enzyme activities and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances levels in the rat prefrontal cortex and striatumS Gonenc
Department of Physiology, Dokuz Eylul University Medical School, Balcova, 35340, Izmir, Turkey
Neurosci Lett 289:107-10. 2000..Stress did not change superoxide dismutase activity and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances levels...
- Antioxidant effect of Boerhavia diffusa L. in tissues of alloxan induced diabetic ratsM Amarnath Satheesh
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar 608 002, India
Indian J Exp Biol 42:989-92. 2004..The results suggest that BLEt has remarkable antidiabetic activity and can improve antioxidant status in alloxan induced diabetic rats...
- Antihyperglycemic and antilipidperoxidative effects of Pongamia pinnata (Linn.) Pierre flowers in alloxan induced diabetic ratsR Punitha
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar 608 002, Tamil Nadu, India
J Ethnopharmacol 105:39-46. 2006..Hyperglycemia, elevated lipid peroxidation [thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS)] and disturbed nonenzymatic [Vitamin E, Vitamin C and glutathione] and enzymatic ..
- Elevated serum thiobarbituric acid reactive substances in clinically symptomatic schizophrenic malesClarissa Severino Gama
Laboratório de Psiquiatria Molecular, Centro de Pesquisas, Hospital de Clinicas de Porto Alegre, Rua Ramiro Barcelos 2350, 90035 003 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Neurosci Lett 433:270-3. 2008..Altered superoxide dismutase (SOD) and increased lipid peroxidation, measured by the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), are increased in schizophrenia...
- Determination of carbonyl group content in plasma proteins as a useful marker to assess impairment in antioxidant defense in patients with Eales' diseaseMohanraj Rajesh
Department of Biochemistry Research, Sankara Nethralaya, Chennai, India
Indian J Ophthalmol 52:139-44. 2004..We evaluated the intensity of free radical reactions in patients with Eales' disease, an idiopathic inflammatory condition of the retina...
- Potential Mechanisms of Glucagon-like peptide-1 in Fatty Liver DiseaseFrank A Anania; Fiscal Year: 2010..including weight loss, improved hepatic histology and loss of hepatic steatosis, and reduced thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TEARS), a surrogate marker of oxidative stress...
- Phase 1/2 of Taurine in Cystathionine Beta-Synthase Deficient HomocystinuriaJohan L Van Hove; Fiscal Year: 2013..Oxidative stress and inflammation will be assessed by determination of plasma levels of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and TNF-[unreadable] respectively...
- FREE RADICAL LIPID PEROXIDATION DAMAGEALOYS TAPPEL; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- Novel Antioxidant Mechanisms of Surfactant ProteinsFrancis McCormack; Fiscal Year: 2006..Both proteins block accumulation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and conjugated dienes during metal-induced oxidation of surfactant phospholipids or low ..
- MODULATION OF POST BMT LUNG INJURY BY CAPTOPRILLeo Gordon; Fiscal Year: 1999..8-OHDGI), and (2) cellular membranes and cytoplasm (a) aldehydes, lipid hydroperioxides and thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and (b) inflammatory mediators and growth factors, including TGF-P...
- TCDD-INDUCED OXIDATIVE STRESSEzdihar Hassoun; Fiscal Year: 2001..the processes of lipid peroxidation and DNA-single strand breaks (SSB) will be measured using the thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) assay and the alkaline elution technique, respectively...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY OF ACUTE PHASE PROTEIN AND CHDLewis Kuller; Fiscal Year: 1993..protein and sialic acid; 2) oxidized low density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDLC) measured by thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS), and risk of myocardial infarction (MI) or coronary heart disease (CHD) death; 3) Lp(a); ..
- Reducing Renal TGF-B in Diabetic GlomerulosclerosisMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- LDL Modification in Diabetic ComplicationsMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Point-of-Care Measurement of Glycated HemoglobinMARGO COHEN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Intermediate Filaments 2008 Gordon Research ConferenceThomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nanospheres as Vehicles for Treatment of NeuroblastomaThomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2004..Resulting data will indicate whether or not nanospheres represent useful delivery agents for cancer therapy. ..
- Is S-adenosyl Methionine a Nutrition: Genetic Link in AD?Thomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- DRUGS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE ADRENERGIC NERVOUS SYSTEMTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- RECEPTOR MEDIATED OXIDATIVE STRESSHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will improve our understanding of how PHAHs such as TCDD generate oxidative stress and mutagenesis, leading to better models for risk assessment and novel strategies for intervention in PHAH-mediated toxicity. ..
- Glutathione in Environmental Toxicity and DiseaseHOWARD SHERTZER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Our proposed research should therefore help focus future genotype-phenotype association studies between the appropriate DNA variant sites in the GCLC and GCLM genes and disease. ..
- MECHANISMS OF CHLORPYRIFOS DEVELOPMENTAL NEUROTOXICITYTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Molecular mechanisms of developmental neurotoxicity can be determined and linked to eventual alterations in behavioral performance. ..
- Protective Efficacy of Mg-Supplementation Against NRTI-induced Cardiac ToxicityIVAN MAK; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposed exploratory effort may reveal a potential usefulness of Mg-supplements as an effective, yet relatively inexpensive adjunct therapy to lessen NRTI-related cardiovascular toxicity. ..
- Long Term Toxicity of Di- and Tri-ChloroacetateEzdihar Hassoun; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fetal & Adolescent Nicotine Effects on CNS 5HT SystemsTheodore Slotkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Air Pollution-Induced Vascular Endothelin Regulation of MMP Activity.Amie Lund; Fiscal Year: 2007..Identification of environmental factors, and the cellular pathways they potentate, associated with cardiovascular disease progression is critical for both prevention and pharmacological therapy. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Yale/NCI Cooperative Training Program in Cancer EpidemiologySusan Mayne; Fiscal Year: 2007..We anticipate that graduates of this program will be uniquely qualified to be future leaders in the field of cancer epidemiology and genetics. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Novel Rehabilitative Approaches for Recovery from TBIANTHONY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2008..Our long-term goal is to develop therapies that facilitate functional recovery after human TBI. ..
- eNOS-Protein Interaction in the PenisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time, it may suggest a specific eNOS regulatory pathway as a possible new molecular target for treating ED. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Renal medullary COX-2 in blood pressure controlTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..The information resulted from these studies will provide new insight into the molecular mechanism responsible for long-term control of arterial blood pressure. ..
- UCLA TRAINING PROGRAM IN NUTRITION AND OBESITYDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Low Cost Production of the Malaria Drug ArtemetherBrooks Hybertson; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project seeks to develop, validate, and commercialize a new, cheaper method for producing the highly effective malaria drug artemether from the Sweet Wormwood plant. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Interaction of COX-2 AND nNOS in renin secretion (R01)Tianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Glutathione Peroxidase & Redox State in AtherosclerosisFrancis Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..Information gained from these studies will provide a foundation for additional studies of redox status in vascular disease and potential novel therapeutic strategies to modify the progression of atherosclerosis in patients. ..
- Intrarenal Augmentation of Angiotensinogen by Ang IIHiroyuki Kobori; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Effects of Soy on Estrogens in Breast Fluid and UrineGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2010..The NAF approach is the only way to learn more about the beneficial and adverse effects of soy directly in the female breast without applying invasive procedures to women without breast disease or surgery. ..
- Inflammation in obesity: Modulation by Weight LossParesh Dandona; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Inflammatory Markers in a 2-Year Soy Intervention among Premenopausal WomenGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..The statistical analysis will apply general linear models to compare the levels of inflammatory markers by soy intake, while taking into account the repeated measurement design. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- KALLISTATIN IN HYPERTENSIONJulie Chao; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- MMP-9 Activity Mediates Vascular Effects of Inhaled Environmental Air PollutantsAmie Lund; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional Risk Factors for Type 2 Diabetes in the Multiethnic CohortGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sertoli Cell Mediated Engulfment of Apoptotic Germ CellsKodi S Ravichandran; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- SYNAPTIC CHANGE IN MILD COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENTStephen W Scheff; Fiscal Year: 2010..Successful completion of the proposed studies will lead to new insights into the mechanisms underlying MCI and early AD and contribute to the development of effective pharmacologic therapies for AD. ..
- RESPONSE OF THE AGING NERVOUS SYSTEM TO TRAUMAStephen Scheff; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- MECHANISMS OF CADMIUM TOXICITY IN EPITHELIAL CELLSWALTER PROZIALECK; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, the results of these studies could have more general implications regarding the mechanisms by which toxic substances affect living organisms. ..
- Novel, Noninvasive Biomarker of Fruit & Vegetable IntakeSusan Mayne; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Diesel Exhaust Particle Modulation of InflammationJeanclare Seagrave; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Respirable ciprofloxacin aerosol for inhaled anthraxBrooks Hybertson; Fiscal Year: 2004..Our overall goal is to create a new tool for targeted treatment or prophylaxis for victims of anthrax spore inhalation. ..
- Breast Density, IGF-I, & Prolactin, in Four PopulationsGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2004..The statistical analysis will include mixed models to explore the relation between hormone levels and breast density while controlling for confounders and for clustering by study location. ..
- The Influence of Nutrition on Influenza Virus InfectionMelinda Beck; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- TRAUMATIC BRAIN INJURY AND CELLULAR HOMEOSTASISStephen Scheff; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies will significantly enhance our understanding of the mechanisms following TBI and hopefully lead to therapies resulting in increased recovery. ..
- Biliary and Intestinal Cell Models of Drug ToxicityMARY KANZ; Fiscal Year: 2004..The basic techniques developed in this research will lead to new methods for screening potential drug injury to target sites that are not easily investigated in vivo. ..
- Interaction of Serotonin & Cholinergic Systems After TBIANTHONY KLINE; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term goal is to develop pharmacotherapies that attenuate posttraumatic neuronal cell death and facilitate cognitive performance after human TBI. ..
- 1-Cys-peroxiredoxin, A Novel Lung Anti-oxidant EnzymeAron Fisher; Fiscal Year: 2004..These studies will give insights into the function and antioxidant activity of this potentially important, newly described enzyme. ..
- CO POISONING IN THE CONTEXT OF A REPERFUSION INJURYStephen Thom; Fiscal Year: 2003..The research plan is aimed to test the hypothesis that immune responses and the associated oxidative stress cause neurological injuries. ..
- Testicular Torsion: Mechanisms and TreatmentTerry Turner; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is likely that these investigations will be relevant to other forms of oxidative stress inducing testicular dysfunction. ..
- Cerebral Hemorrhage Model: Mechanisms and TreatmentsKenneth Wagner; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Tissue Kallikrein, Oxidative Stress and Renal FibrosisJulie Chao; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Antioxidant Defense System and Leydig Cell AgingHaolin Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Posttranslational Regulation of eNOS by Estrogen in the Vagina and ClitorisBiljana Musicki; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the same time it may advance treatments for multiple disease states associated with endothelial dysfunction and alterations in hormonal milieu. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Inflammation: Effect on Insulin Resistance in PCOSFrank Gonzalez; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutrition, Viral Mutation and Host DefenseMelinda Beck; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Generation of Collecting Duct Knockout of PPARgammaTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006..New information provided by this proposal is expected to provide insights into the roles of PPARgamma in regulation of fluid balance and in mediation of the side effects of TDZ. ..
- THE UCLA CLINICAL NUTRITION RESEARCH UNITDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2006..The UCLA CNRU is serving as a regional and national resource at the cutting edge of nutrition and cancer prevention research...
- Interaction of COX-2 and nNOS in renin secretionTianxin Yang; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Ginkgo Biloba Extract & The Insulin Resistance SyndromeGeorge Kudolo; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study should also provide valuable information for designing new therapeutic strategies for the treatment of diseases in the insulin resistance syndrome. ..
- Effects of Retinoic Acid and Acetaldehyde on CollagenLan Wang; Fiscal Year: 2005..It is an essential part of the structured career development plan, to extend Dr. Wang's knowledge and to further develop her skills, leading to an independent academic career. ..
- NESTED CASE CONTROL STUDY OF MAMMOGRAPHIC DENSITYGertraud Maskarinec; Fiscal Year: 2002....