Genomes and Genes
Summary: A highly reactive aldehyde gas formed by oxidation or incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons. In solution, it has a wide range of uses: in the manufacture of resins and textiles, as a disinfectant, and as a laboratory fixative or preservative. Formaldehyde solution (formalin) is considered a hazardous compound, and its vapor toxic. (From Reynolds, Martindale The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p717)
Publications254 found, 100 shown here
- Whole-genome gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue samplesCraig April
Illumina, Inc, San Diego, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 4:e8162. 2009..We have developed a gene expression assay (Whole-Genome DASL), capable of generating whole-genome gene expression profiles from degraded samples such as formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) specimens...
- FAIRE (Formaldehyde-Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements) isolates active regulatory elements from human chromatinPaul G Giresi
Department of Biology and the Carolina Center for Genome Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 3280, USA
Genome Res 17:877-85. 2007..demonstrate a simple procedure for the isolation of nucleosome-depleted DNA from human chromatin, termed FAIRE (Formaldehyde-Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)...
- RNA expression analysis from formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissuesSusan M Farragher
Almac Diagnostics, Craigavon, 19 Seagoe Industrial Estate, Armagh BT635QD, UK
Histochem Cell Biol 130:435-45. 2008..This paper reviews the progress in this field and discusses the unique opportunities that exist for the application of these techniques in the development of personalized medicine...
- Generation of high-quality protein extracts from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissuesMaria Filippa Addis
Porto Conte Ricerche Srl, Tramariglio, Alghero, Sassari, Italy
Proteomics 9:3815-23. 2009..An evaluation of the extent of modifications introduced on proteins by formalin fixation and crosslink reversal, and their impact on quality of MS results, is also reported...
- Histone demethylation mediated by the nuclear amine oxidase homolog LSD1Yujiang Shi
Department of Pathology, Harvard Medical School, 77 Avenue Louis Pasteur, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Cell 119:941-53. 2004..Lysine demethylation occurs via an oxidation reaction that generates formaldehyde. Importantly, RNAi inhibition of LSD1 causes an increase in H3 lysine 4 methylation and concomitant ..
- TRPA1 mediates formalin-induced painColleen R McNamara
Hydra Biosciences, Inc, 790 Memorial Drive, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:13525-30. 2007....
- Isolation of active regulatory elements from eukaryotic chromatin using FAIRE (Formaldehyde Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)Paul G Giresi
Department of Biology and Carolina Center for the Genome Sciences, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, CB 3280, 408 Fordham Hall, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Methods 48:233-9. 2009..a simple procedure for the genome-wide isolation of nucleosome-depleted DNA from human chromatin, termed FAIRE (Formaldehyde Assisted Isolation of Regulatory Elements)...
- Comparison of miRNA expression patterns using total RNA extracted from matched samples of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded (FFPE) cells and snap frozen cellsJinghuan Li
Department of Histopathology, University of Dublin, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
BMC Biotechnol 7:36. 2007..This study analyzed 160 miRNAs in paired snap frozen and FFPE cells to investigate if miRNAs may be successfully detected in archival specimens...
- Formaldehyde-inactivated whole-virus vaccine protects a murine model of enterovirus 71 encephalomyelitis against diseaseKien Chai Ong
Department of Pathology, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Virol 84:661-5. 2010..b>Formaldehyde-inactivated whole-virus vaccines derived from EV71 clinical isolates and a mouse-adapted virus (MAV) were ..
- Tissue handling and specimen preparation in surgical pathology: issues concerning the recovery of nucleic acids from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissueStephen M Hewitt
Tissue Array Research Program, Laboratory of Pathology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4605, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:1929-35. 2008..High-quality nucleic acids can be obtained from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue, but greater attention to all steps in the process of tissue handling and preparation is required...
- Quantitative protein analysis from formalin-fixed tissues: implications for translational clinical research and nanoscale molecular diagnosisK F Becker
Technische Universitat, Institut fur Pathologie, Munchen, Germany
J Pathol 211:370-8. 2007..This technique may also be used to identify, characterize, and validate known and new protein markers in a variety of human diseases...
- Genome-wide massively parallel sequencing of formaldehyde fixed-paraffin embedded (FFPE) tumor tissues for copy-number- and mutation-analysisMichal R Schweiger
Department of Vertebrate Genomics, Max Planck Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 4:e5548. 2009..However, FFPE preparation is incompatible with many down-stream molecular biology techniques such as PCR based amplification methods and gene expression studies...
- Formaldehyde-based whole-mount in situ hybridization method for planariansBret J Pearson
Department of Neurobiology and Anatomy, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
Dev Dyn 238:443-50. 2009..Here, we describe a formaldehyde-based WISH method for the freshwater planarian Schmidtea mediterranea developed by systematically comparing and ..
- Optimization of RNA extraction from FFPE tissues for expression profiling in the DASL assayMark Abramovitz
VM Institute of Research, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biotechniques 44:417-23. 2008....
- Direct cancer tissue proteomics: a method to identify candidate cancer biomarkers from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded archival tissuesS I Hwang
Department of Cell Biology, Center for Vascular Biology, University of Connecticut School of Medicine, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Oncogene 26:65-76. 2007..We propose that this general strategy provides a roadmap for successful identification of critical molecular targets of multiple cancer types...
- Evaluation and validation of total RNA extraction methods for microRNA expression analyses in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissuesMartina Doleshal
Asuragen, Inc, Austin, TX 78744, USA
J Mol Diagn 10:203-11. 2008....
- The function neutralizing anti-TrkA antibody MNAC13 reduces inflammatory and neuropathic painGabriele Ugolini
Lay Line Genomics, Via di Castel Romano 100, 00128 Rome, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2985-90. 2007..This study represents a direct demonstration that neutralizing antibodies directed against the TrkA receptor may display potent analgesic effects in inflammatory and chronic pain...
- miRNA in situ hybridization in formaldehyde and EDC-fixed tissuesJohn T G Pena
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Laboratory of RNA Molecular Biology, The Rockefeller University, 1230 York Avenue, Box 186, New York, New York 10065, USA
Nat Methods 6:139-41. 2009..We showed that in situ hybridization (ISH) using conventional formaldehyde fixation results in substantial microRNA loss from mouse tissue sections, which can be prevented by fixation ..
- Clinical proteomic applications of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissuesJosip Blonder
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC Frederick, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, 1050 Boyles Street, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Clin Lab Med 29:101-13. 2009..The almost inexhaustible supply of these tissues will enable proteomic laboratories access to clinically important specimens that will undoubtedly lead to a number of important discoveries in the near future...
- The generation of formaldehyde in cigarettes--Overview and recent experimentsRichard R Baker
Group Research and Development, British American Tobacco, Regent s Park Road, Southampton SO15 8TL, UK
Food Chem Toxicol 44:1799-822. 2006..One exception to this generalisation is formaldehyde, which is generated from saccharides used as tobacco ingredients...
- Enhanced formaldehyde detoxification by overexpression of glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase from ArabidopsisHakima Achkor
Departamento de Bioquimica y Biologia Molecular, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Plant Physiol 132:2248-55. 2003The ADH2 gene codes for the Arabidopsis glutathione-dependent formaldehyde dehydrogenase (FALDH), an enzyme involved in formaldehyde metabolism in eukaryotes...
- Genome-wide comparison of paired fresh frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded gliomas by custom BAC and oligonucleotide array comparative genomic hybridization: facilitating analysis of archival gliomasGayatry Mohapatra
Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Acta Neuropathol 121:529-43. 2011..In combination, these advances should facilitate genome-wide analysis of rare, small and/or histologically heterogeneous gliomas from FFPE tissues...
- Analyses and interpretation of whole-genome gene expression from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue: an illustration with breast cancer tissuesMuhammad G Kibriya
Department of Health Studies, The University of Chicago, 5841 S, Maryland Avenue, MC 2007, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
BMC Genomics 11:622. 2010..We used a whole genome DASL assay (addressing 18,391 genes) on a total of 72 samples from paired breast tumor and surrounding healthy tissues from both FF and FFPE samples...
- Formaldehyde: integrating dosimetry, cytotoxicity, and genomics to understand dose-dependent transitions for an endogenous compoundMelvin E Andersen
Program in Chemical Safety Sciences, The Hamner Institutes for Health Sciences, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
Toxicol Sci 118:716-31. 2010b>Formaldehyde (FA), an endogenous cellular aldehyde, is a rat nasal carcinogen...
- Quantitation of p95HER2 in paraffin sections by using a p95-specific antibody and correlation with outcome in a cohort of trastuzumab-treated breast cancer patientsJeff Sperinde
diaDexus, South San Francisco, CA, USA
Clin Cancer Res 16:4226-35. 2010..We sought to show that quantitative p95HER2 levels would correlate with outcome in trastuzumab-treated HER2-positive metastatic breast cancer...
- Proteomic analysis of formalin-fixed prostate cancer tissueBrian L Hood
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC-Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 4:1741-53. 2005....
- Whole genome SNP arrays using DNA derived from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded ovarian tumor tissueElla R Thompson
VBCRC Cancer Genetics Laboratory, Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, East Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hum Mutat 26:384-9. 2005..This advance will open up vast archival tissue resources to high-resolution genetic analysis and unlock a wealth of biological information...
- Quality assessment of DNA derived from up to 30 years old formalin fixed paraffin embedded (FFPE) tissue for PCR-based methylation analysis using SMART-MSP and MS-HRMLasse S Kristensen
Institute of Human Genetics, University of Aarhus, The Bartholin Building, Aarhus C, Denmark
BMC Cancer 9:453. 2009..Sensitive Melting Analysis after Real Time - Methylation Specific PCR (SMART-MSP) and Methylation Sensitive - High Resolution Melting (MS-HRM) are two methods for single locus DNA methylation detection based on HRM...
- Treatment of maternal blood samples with formaldehyde does not alter the proportion of circulatory fetal nucleic acids (DNA and mRNA) in maternal plasmaSatheesh Kumar Reddy Chinnapapagari
Department of Research, University Women's Hospital, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Chem 51:652-5. 2005
- Lack of dramatic enrichment of fetal DNA in maternal plasma by formaldehyde treatmentGrace T Y Chung
Department of Chemical Pathology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, New Territories, Hong Kong, China
Clin Chem 51:655-8. 2005
- Epidemiological studies of formaldehyde exposure and risk of leukemia and nasopharyngeal cancer: a meta-analysisAnnette M Bachand
Department of Environmental and Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 40:85-100. 2010The authors conducted meta-analyses of the epidemiological literature on formaldehyde exposure and risk of leukemia and risk of nasopharyngeal cancer...
- Formaldehyde exposure and asthma in children: a systematic reviewGerald McGwin
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:313-7. 2010Despite multiple published studies regarding the association between formaldehyde exposure and childhood asthma, a consistent association has not been identified...
- Efficient method for the proteomic analysis of fixed and embedded tissuesDarryl Erik Palmer-Toy
Harvard Partners Center for Genetics and Genomics, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
J Proteome Res 4:2404-11. 2005..Moreover, we demonstrate that a high level of sequence coverage can be observed for proteins of interest...
- In vivo stabilization of preinitiation complexes by formaldehyde cross-linkingLEOS VALASEK
Institute of Microbiology, AS CR, Prague, Czech Republic
Methods Enzymol 429:163-83. 2007..Therefore, we developed an alternative method for PIC stabilization using formaldehyde (HCHO) to cross-link factors associated with 40S ribosomal subunits in vivo before the disruption of the yeast ..
- Mass spectrometric analysis of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue: unlocking the proteome withinBrian L Hood
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies, SAIC-Frederick, Inc, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Proteomics 6:4106-14. 2006..Although these developments are quite new, the ability to conduct MS-based proteomic analyses of FFPE tissues opens heretofore intractable clinical samples for discovery-based biomarker research...
- Evaluation of archival time on shotgun proteomics of formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissuesBrian M Balgley
Calibrant Biosystems, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878, USA
J Proteome Res 8:917-25. 2009....
- Gene expression profiling of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded familial breast tumours using the whole genome-DASL assayNic Waddell
The Queensland Institute of Medical Research, Brisbane, Australia
J Pathol 221:452-61. 2010....
- Protein extraction of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue enables robust proteomic profiles by mass spectrometryMarshall S Scicchitano
Department of Safety Assessment, 709 Swedeland Road, Mail Stop UE0364, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 57:849-60. 2009..These findings demonstrate that formalin fixation, paraffin processing, and LCM do not negatively impact protein quality and quantity as determined by MS and that FFPE samples are amenable to global proteomic analysis...
- Mortality among a cohort of garment workers exposed to formaldehyde: an updateL E Pinkerton
Industrywide Studies Branch, Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluations and Field Studies, The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Cincinnati, Ohio 45226, USA
Occup Environ Med 61:193-200. 2004To evaluate the mortality experience of 11 039 workers exposed to formaldehyde for three months or more in three garment plants. The mean time weighted average formaldehyde exposure at the plants in the early 1980s was 0...
- Formaldehyde exposure and leukemia: a new meta-analysis and potential mechanismsLuoping Zhang
School of Public Health, 50 University Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7356, USA
Mutat Res 681:150-68. 2009b>Formaldehyde is an economically important chemical, to which more than 2 million U.S. workers are occupationally exposed...
- DNA extraction from archival formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections based on the antigen retrieval principle: heating under the influence of pHShan-Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 50:1005-11. 2002..These findings may lead to a more effective protocol for DNA extraction from archival paraffin-embedded tissues and may also provide enhanced understanding of changes that occur during formalin-induced modification of nucleic acids...
- Social modulation of pain as evidence for empathy in miceDale J Langford
Department of Psychology and Centre for Research on Pain, McGill University, Montreal, QC H3A 1B1, Canada
Science 312:1967-70. 2006..Finally, observation of a cagemate in pain altered pain sensitivity of an entirely different modality, suggesting that nociceptive mechanisms in general are sensitized...
- Equivalence of protein inventories obtained from formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded and frozen tissue in multidimensional liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry shotgun proteomic analysisRobert W Sprung
Jim Ayers Institute for Precancer Detection and Diagnosis, Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 8575, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 8:1988-98. 2009..No covalent peptide modifications attributable to formaldehyde chemistry were detected by analyses of the MS/MS datasets, which suggests that undetected, cross-linked ..
- Proteome analysis of microdissected formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissue specimensTong Guo
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 55:763-72. 2007..This large degree of protein overlapping is attributed to the application of detergent-based protein extraction in both the cell pellet preparation protocol and the AR technique...
- Protein extraction from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissue sections: quality evaluation by mass spectrometryShan Rong Shi
Department of Pathology, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine HMR 204, 2011 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 54:739-43. 2006....
- Proteome, phosphoproteome, and N-glycoproteome are quantitatively preserved in formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue and analyzable by high-resolution mass spectrometryPaweł Ostasiewicz
Department for Proteomics and Signal Transduction at Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
J Proteome Res 9:3688-700. 2010..Thus, FFPE biobank material can be analyzed by quantitative proteomics at the level of proteins and post-translational modifications...
- Development of a microarray platform for FFPET profiling: application to the classification of human tumorsSven Duenwald
Translational Sciences, Department of Molecular Profiling, Merck Research Laboratories, Seattle, WA 98109, USA
J Transl Med 7:65. 2009..Methods are needed to profile these FFPET samples that are linked to clinical outcomes to generate hypotheses that could lead to classifiers for clinical applications...
- 'Tissue surrogates' as a model for archival formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissuesCarol B Fowler
Department of Biophysics, Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Lab Invest 87:836-46. 2007..been hampered by inefficient methods to extract proteins from archival tissue and by an incomplete knowledge of formaldehyde-induced modifications in proteins...
- Whole genome amplification for array comparative genomic hybridization using DNA extracted from formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded histological sectionsJian Huang
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
J Mol Diagn 11:109-16. 2009..0001). These results suggest that genetic analyses are possible using WGA-DNA extracted from paraffin sections, but that they should be performed with a carefully optimized and controlled protocol...
- Successful protein extraction from over-fixed and long-term stored formalin-fixed tissuesClaudia Wolff
Institute of Pathology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e16353. 2011..Because tissue fixation times vary in the routine clinical setting and pathology archives contain billions of FFPE tissues blocks, our data are highly relevant for research, diagnosis, and treatment of disease...
- Mining the archival formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue proteome: opportunities and challengesNiroshini J Nirmalan
Clinical and Biomedical Proteomics Group, Cancer Research UK Clinical Centre, St James s University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, UK
Mol Biosyst 4:712-20. 2008..Here, we critically review the current status of research in the field, highlighting challenges which need to be addressed for robust quantitative application of protocols to ensure confident high impact inferences can be made...
- An array-based analysis of microRNA expression comparing matched frozen and formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded human tissue samplesXiao Zhang
Department of Pathology and Molecular Medicine, Queen s Laboratory for Molecular Pathology, Kingston, ON, Canada
J Mol Diagn 10:513-9. 2008..669 to 0.815; Spearman rank correlation coefficient, 0.847 to 0.948), supporting the use of FFPE-derived miRNAs for array-based, gene expression profiling...
- Antigen retrieval for proteomic characterization of formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissuesHaifeng Xu
Calibrant Biosystems, 910 Clopper Road, Suite 220N, Gaithersburg, Maryland 20878, USA
J Proteome Res 7:1098-108. 2008..Because single peptide hits are often regarded with skepticism, it is notable that all proteins tested by IHC stained positive...
- Reliability and reproducibility of PCR-based testing of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase gene (MGMT) promoter methylation status in formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded neurosurgical biopsy specimensM Preusser
Department of Internal Medicine I, Medical University, Austria
Clin Neuropathol 27:388-90. 2008..To analyze the reliability and reproducibility of PCR-based testing of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase gene (MGMT) promoter methylation status in formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded (FFPE) neurosurgical biopsy specimens...
- Determination of N2-hydroxymethyl-dG adducts in the nasal epithelium and bone marrow of nonhuman primates following 13CD2-formaldehyde inhalation exposureBenjamin C Moeller
Curriculum in Toxicology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599 7431, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:162-4. 2011..9 and 6.1 ppm of [(13)CD(2)]-formaldehyde for 6 h a day for 2 consecutive days was investigated using a highly sensitive nano-UPLC-MS/MS method with a ..
- Measurement of tumor-associated mutations in the nasal mucosa of rats exposed to varying doses of formaldehydeFanxue Meng
US Food and Drug Administration, National Center for Toxicological Research, Division of Genetic and Reproductive Toxicology, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 57:274-83. 2010This study examined the potential induction of tumor-associated mutations in formaldehyde-exposed rat nasal mucosa using a sensitive method, allele-specific competitive blocker-PCR (ACB-PCR)...
- Molecular dosimetry of N2-hydroxymethyl-dG DNA adducts in rats exposed to formaldehydeKun Lu
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:159-61. 2011..7, 2, 5.8, 9.1, or 15.2 ppm [(13)CD(2)] formaldehyde for 6 h were quantified by a highly sensitive nano-UPLC-MS/MS method...
- Non-cancer effects of formaldehyde and relevance for setting an indoor air guidelinePeder Wolkoff
National Research Centre for the Working Environment, Lersø Parkallé 105, DK 2100 Copenhagen Ø, Denmark
Environ Int 36:788-99. 2010There is considerable recent focus and concern about formaldehyde (FA). We have reviewed the literature on FA with focus on chemosensory perception in the airways and lung effects in indoor environments...
- Reversal of pathological pain through specific spinal GABAA receptor subtypesJulia Knabl
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Erlangen Nurnberg, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Nature 451:330-4. 2008..These results provide a rational basis for the development of subtype-selective GABAergic drugs for the treatment of chronic pain, which is often refractory to classical analgesics...
- Housing characteristics and indoor concentrations of nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde in Quebec City, CanadaNicolas L Gilbert
Air Health Effects Division, Health Canada, 269 Laurier Avenue West, PL 4903B, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1A 0K9
Environ Res 102:1-8. 2006Concentrations of nitrogen dioxide and formaldehyde were determined in a study of 96 homes in Quebec City, Canada, between January and April 2005...
- Distribution of DNA adducts caused by inhaled formaldehyde is consistent with induction of nasal carcinoma but not leukemiaKun Lu
Department of Environmental Sciences and Engineering, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
Toxicol Sci 116:441-51. 2010Inhaled formaldehyde is classified as a known human and animal carcinogen, causing nasopharyngeal cancer. Additionally, limited epidemiological evidence for leukemia in humans is available; however, this is inconsistent across studies...
- Formaldehyde and leukemia: epidemiology, potential mechanisms, and implications for risk assessmentLuoping Zhang
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720 7356, USA
Environ Mol Mutagen 51:181-91. 2010b>Formaldehyde is widely used in the United States and other countries. Occupational and environmental exposures to formaldehyde may be associated with an increased risk of leukemia in exposed individuals...
- Exposure of human nasal epithelial cells to formaldehyde does not lead to DNA damage in lymphocytes after co-cultivationSimone Neuss
Institut fur Humangenetik, Universitat Ulm, Ulm, Germany
Mutagenesis 25:359-64. 2010..with primary human nasal epithelial cells (HNEC) and isolated lymphocytes to investigate whether reactive formaldehyde (FA) can be passed on from nasal epithelial cells (site of first contact) to lymphocytes located in close ..
- Formaldehyde in China: production, consumption, exposure levels, and health effectsXiaojiang Tang
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Environ Int 35:1210-24. 2009b>Formaldehyde, an economically important chemical, is classified as a human carcinogen that causes nasopharyngeal cancer and probably leukemia...
- Postmortem MRI of human brain hemispheres: T2 relaxation times during formaldehyde fixationRobert J Dawe
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois 60616, USA
Magn Reson Med 61:810-8. 2009..Five hemispheres immersed in formaldehyde solution were scanned on a weekly basis for 3 months postmortem, and once again at 6 months postmortem...
- Formaldehyde and cancer risk: a quantitative review of cohort studies through 2006C Bosetti
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milan, Italy
Ann Oncol 19:29-43. 2008Occupational exposure to formaldehyde has been associated with excess risk of nasopharyngeal and selected other cancers.
- Occupational exposure to solvents and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in Connecticut womenRong Wang
Division of Environmental Health Sciences, Yale University School of Public Health, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8034, USA
Am J Epidemiol 169:176-85. 2009..5, 95% CI: 1.1, 1.9). A borderline increased risk was also found for ever exposure to formaldehyde (OR = 1.3, 95% CI: 1.0, 1.7) in work settings. Risk of NHL increased with increasing average intensity (P = 0...
- Innocuous, not noxious, input activates PKCgamma interneurons of the spinal dorsal horn via myelinated afferent fibersSimona Neumann
Department of Anatomy and W M Keck Foundation Center for Integrative Neuroscience, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94158, USA
J Neurosci 28:7936-44. 2008....
- Reevaluation of mortality risks from leukemia in the formaldehyde cohort study of the National Cancer InstituteGary M Marsh
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 40:113-24. 2004To determine whether the National Cancer Institute's (NCI) recent suggestion of a causal association between formaldehyde exposure and mortality from leukemia and myeloid leukemia (ML) is robust with respect to alternative ..
- Extended follow-up of a cohort of british chemical workers exposed to formaldehydeDavid Coggon
Medical Research Council Environmental Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton, United Kingdom
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1608-15. 2003b>Formaldehyde is mutagenic and, when inhaled at high concentrations, carcinogenic in rats...
- Effect of duration of fixation on quantitative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction analysesMaricris Macabeo-Ong
Oral Pathology, Department of Stomatology, University of California San Francisco, California 94143-0424, USA
Mod Pathol 15:979-87. 2002..However, results for some markers are adversely affected by prolonged formalin fixation times...
- Formalin-induced changes of NMDA receptor subunit expression in the spinal cord of the ratC Gaunitz
Rudolf-Boehm-Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Amino Acids 23:177-82. 2002..In summary, the present data demonstrate adaptive changes in the NR subunit expression pattern in rat spinal cord due to formalin injection...
- Dosimetry modeling of inhaled formaldehyde: the human respiratory tractJ H Overton
Experimental Toxicology Division, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
Toxicol Sci 64:122-34. 2001b>Formaldehyde (HCHO), which has been shown to be a nasal carcinogen in rats and mice, is used widely and extensively in various manufacturing processes...
- Effects of different concentrations and volumes of formalin on pain response in ratsI O Lee
Department of Anesthesia, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul
Acta Anaesthesiol Sin 38:59-64. 2000Formalin test is commonly used in animal model to assess injury-produced pain response. If the total amount of formaldehyde is fixed, its concentration and volume can be easily adjusted...
- An improved and cost-effective methodology for the reduction of autofluorescence in direct immunofluorescence studies on formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissuesM S Viegas
Molecular Pathology Laboratory, Portuguese Institute for Oncology of Coimbra IPOCFG EPE, Coimbra, Portugal
Eur J Histochem 51:59-66. 2007..In addition, we herein show that this methodology is highly effective in reducing autofluorescent background to levels that allow detection of specific signals by direct immunofluorescence...
- Methods comparison for high-resolution transcriptional analysis of archival material on Affymetrix Plus 2.0 and Exon 1.0 microarraysKim Linton
Cancer Research UK Department of Medical Oncology, the Christie NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester, UK
Biotechniques 47:587-96. 2009..While larger series are needed to confirm high correspondence between fresh-frozen and FFPE expression patterns, these data suggest that both Plus 2.0 and Exon arrays are suitable platforms for FFPE microarray expression analyses...
- Formaldehyde as a potential human leukemogen: an assessment of biological plausibilityRobert Golden
ToxLogic, Potomac, Maryland 20854, USA
Crit Rev Toxicol 36:135-53. 2006The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC, 2004) recently reevaluated the epidemiological data on formaldehyde and concluded that there was "strong but not sufficient evidence for a causal association between leukaemia ..
- Accurate molecular characterization of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissues by microRNA expression profilingAnna E Szafranska
Asuragen, Inc, 2150 Woodward Street, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78744, USA
J Mol Diagn 10:415-23. 2008....
- Inhaled formaldehyde: evaluation of sensory irritation in relation to carcinogenicityJosje H E Arts
TNO Quality of Life, Zeist, P O Box 360, 3700 AJ Zeist, The Netherlands
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 44:144-60. 2006The critical health effects of formaldehyde exposure include sensory irritation and the potential to induce tumours in the upper respiratory tract. In literature, a concentration as low as 0...
- A review and meta-analysis of formaldehyde exposure and leukemiaJames J Collins
Dow Chemical, 1803 Building, Midland, MI 48674, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 40:81-91. 2004Most reviews on the carcinogenicity of formaldehyde have focused on cancers of the respiratory tract because these cancer sites were thought to be most biologically plausible...
- Reevaluation of mortality risks from nasopharyngeal cancer in the formaldehyde cohort study of the National Cancer InstituteGary M Marsh
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 42:275-83. 2005To determine whether the National Cancer Institute's (NCI) recent suggestion of a causal association between formaldehyde exposure and mortality from nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC) is robust with respect to alternative methods of data ..
- Cofactor-dependent pathways of formaldehyde oxidation in methylotrophic bacteriaJulia A Vorholt
Laboratoire de Biologie Moleculaire des relations Plantes Microorganismes, INRA CNRS, BP27, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Arch Microbiol 178:239-49. 2002..These compounds are metabolized via the cytotoxin formaldehyde. The formaldehyde consumption pathways, especially the pathways for the oxidation of formaldehyde to CO(2) for ..
- Inhalation of formaldehyde does not induce systemic genotoxic effects in ratsGünter Speit
Universitat Ulm, Institut fur Humangenetik, D 89069 Ulm, Germany
Mutat Res 677:76-85. 2009Male Fischer-344 rats were exposed to formaldehyde (FA) by inhalation for 4 weeks (6 h/day, 5 days/week). Groups of six rats each were exposed to the target concentrations of 0, 0.5, 1, 2, 6, 10 and 15 ppm...
- Mortality from lymphohematopoietic malignancies among workers in formaldehyde industriesMichael Hauptmann
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:1615-23. 2003Many U.S. factory workers are exposed to formaldehyde. Although increased risks for leukemia have been found in medical workers and other professionals exposed to formaldehyde, studies in industrial workers, who are thought to have higher ..
- Occupational exposure to formaldehyde, hematotoxicity, and leukemia-specific chromosome changes in cultured myeloid progenitor cellsLuoping Zhang
School of Public Health, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:80-8. 2010There are concerns about the health effects of formaldehyde exposure, including carcinogenicity, in light of elevated indoor air levels in new homes and occupational exposures experienced by workers in health care, embalming, ..
- Isolation of high quality protein samples from punches of formalin fixed and paraffin embedded tissue blocksJ Kroll
Institute of Pathology, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Histol Histopathol 23:391-5. 2008..Interestingly, with this technique it is feasible to extract high quality proteins from 14 year old samples. In summary, the new technique makes a great pool of material now usable for molecular analysis with high throughput tools...
- Real-time quantitative RT-PCR shows variable, assay-dependent sensitivity to formalin fixation: implications for direct comparison of transcript levels in paraffin-embedded tissuesIna Koch
Institutes of Pathology, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Diagn Mol Pathol 15:149-56. 2006..Thus, a standardized assessment of qRT-PCR assay efficiencies in FFPE allows for precise intraindividual comparison of mRNA species, such as splice variants with different biologic functions, in archival tissues...
- Effects of fixative type and fixation time on the detection of Maedi Visna virus by PCR and immunohistochemistry in paraffin-embedded ovine lung samplesJulio Benavides
, Facultad de Veterinaria, , Campus de Vegazana s/n, , Spain
J Virol Methods 137:317-24. 2006..Amplification of proviral DNA could not be obtained by PCR in these samples. IHC detected viral antigens in all sheep whereas one sheep with mild lesions was always negative by PCR...
- In situ detection of precursor and mature microRNAs in paraffin embedded, formalin fixed tissues and cell preparationsGerard J Nuovo
Department of Pathology and the Comprehensive Cancer Center, Ohio State University Medical Center, 81 HLRI, 473 W 12th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Methods 44:39-46. 2008..Further, one can easily determine the specific subcellular compartmentalization of the precursor and mature forms which may provide insight into the modulation of these important regulatory molecules and their targets...
- Investigating fixative-induced changes in RNA quality and utility by microarray analysisMelissa L Cox
Drug Safety, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Exp Mol Pathol 84:156-72. 2008....
- Exposure of nuclear antigens in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded necropsy human spinal cord tissue: detection of NeuNSandeep K Gill
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Medical Sciences Building, University of Western Ontario, London, Ont, Canada N6A 5C1
J Neurosci Methods 148:26-35. 2005..Auto-fluorescence in the tissue sections can be effectively reduced, but a sufficient fluorescence signal associated with specific antibody labeling could not be detected above this background for NeuN in the nucleus...
- Ultrasonic decalcification offers new perspectives for rapid FISH, DNA, and RT-PCR analysis in bone marrow trephinesTanja Reineke
Institute of Surgical Pathology, University Hospital Zurich, Schmelsburgstrasse 12, CH-8091 Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Surg Pathol 30:892-6. 2006..In our hands, the combined use of ultrasound and ethylenediaminetetraacetate-based reagents permits successful interphase FISH, PCR, and RT-PCR analysis whereas concomitantly preserving morphology and antigeneicity...
- Cross-reactive antigenicity of nucleoproteins of lyssaviruses recognized by a monospecific antirabies virus nucleoprotein antiserum on paraffin sections of formalin-fixed tissuesSatoshi Inoue
Department of Veterinary Science, National Institute of Infectious Diseases, Tokyo, Japan
Pathol Int 53:525-33. 2003....
- Hippocampal theta state in relation to formalin nociceptionSiew Kian Tai
Department of Physiology (MD9, National University of Singapore, 2 Medical Drive, Singapore 117597, Singapore
Pain 121:29-42. 2006....
- Unravelling the proteome of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissueBrian L Hood
Laboratory of Proteomics and Analytical Technologies at SAIC-Frederick, Inc, MD 21702, USA
Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic 5:169-75. 2006..The ability to identify the proteins extracted from FFPE tissues allows comparative analyses that enable the potential discovery of novel biomarkers at the site of the diseased tissue...
- Dissociation of spinal microglia morphological activation and peripheral inflammation in inflammatory pain modelsTing Lin
Center for TMD and Orofacial Pain, Peking University School and Hospital of Stomatology, Beijing 100081, PR China
J Neuroimmunol 192:40-8. 2007..Although spinal microglia might be activated in inflammatory pain models, morphologically, spinal microglia activation was not closely correlated with peripheral inflammation...
- PCR-based diagnosis of Naegleria sp. infection in formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded brain sectionsMarc Schild
Institute of Parasitology, University of Berne, Langgass strasse 122, CH 3012 Bern, Switzerland
J Clin Microbiol 45:564-7. 2007....
- Gene expression patterns in formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded core biopsies predict docetaxel chemosensitivity in breast cancer patientsJenny C Chang
Breast Center and the Department of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine and The Methodist Hospital, 1 Baylor Plaza, MS 600, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 108:233-40. 2008..008). We have established molecular profiles of sensitivity to docetaxel. RT-PCR technology provides a potential platform for a predictive test of docetaxel chemosensitivity using small amounts of routinely processed material...
- Optimized preservation of CNS morphology for the identification of glycogen in the Pompe mouse modelTatyana V Taksir
Department of Pathology, Genzyme Corporation, One Mountain Road, Framingham, MA 01701 9322, USA
J Histochem Cytochem 55:991-8. 2007..The modified paraffin method with periodic acid postfixation resulted in improved tissue morphology and glycogen preservation. Both techniques provide accurate anatomic evaluation of the glycogen distribution in Pompe mouse brain...
- Formalin fixing and paraffin embedding may lead to extra band development in PCRO Cataloluk
Gaziantep University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Medical Biology and Genetics 27310, Kampus, Turkey
New Microbiol 26:193-8. 2003....
- Detection of bovine viral diarrhea virus in formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue sections by real time RT-PCR (Taqman)Bodreddigari Bhudevi
Animal Diagnostic Laboratory, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Virol Methods 109:25-30. 2003..Real time RT-PCR improves diagnosis of BVD infection by allowing prospective and retrospective identification of BVD virus in tissues processed routinely and stored for histologic evaluation...
- Nanopore Biosensor for Kinetics of Reparative Antibodies on Plasma MembranesSang Hyun Oh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Fixation of any kind (methanol, formaldehyde, freezing) destroys the complex membrane antigen...
- Innate immune evasion and/or antagonism by eastern equine encephalitis virusKATHERINE RYMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- True Direct Single Molecule RNA SequencingPATRICE MARIE MILOS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Developing an inactivated whole cell H. pylori vaccineGARY NABORS; Fiscal Year: 2006..This trial will position the vaccine for more highly powered Phase 1 or early Phase 2 trials, and thus will move H. pylori vaccination one step closer to being a reality. ..
- Immunoprotective monoclonals to B. anthracis sporesALISON O BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2003..actually bind to the surface of spores and decrease the level of spore germination, taken with the fact that formaldehyde-inactivated spores can serve as a protective vaccine against anthrax in guinea pigs, led us to the following ..
- Molecular signatures of melanoma histology and progression: A Population Based AAbrar A Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus we aim to significantly improve the current paradigm for diagnosis and therapy for melanoma by eventually reducing mortality from this deadly skin cancer. ..
- Molecular signatures of melanoma histology and progression: A Population Based AAbrar Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Thus we aim to significantly improve the current paradigm for diagnosis and therapy for melanoma by eventually reducing mortality from this deadly skin cancer. ..
- Early Diagnosis of Oral Carcinoma Using Mutant PP32R1GERALD KOCHEVAR; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identification of the intracellular protein ligands will provide a specific functional context for mutant PP32R1S. ..
- RSV Upper Airway Infection and Otitis MediaJOAN E contact DURBIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our group has found a new vaccine against this virus, and want to test whether immunity to RSV can protect against the process that causes bacterial ear infections. ..
- RSV Upper Airway Infection and Otitis MediaJoan Durbin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Our group has found a new vaccine against this virus, and want to test whether immunity to RSV can protect against the process that causes bacterial ear infections. ..
- PAIN, OPIOID ANALGESIA AND BLOOD PRESSURE CONTROLBradley Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of these studies will facilitate our understanding of the mechanisms that contribute to chronic pain in the hypertensive patient. ..
- TUMOR MARKERS TO PREDICT TREATMENT RESPONSELynn Dressler; Fiscal Year: 2005..Two subcontracts are included in this proposal, one to support the CALGB Pathology Coordinating Office functions at OSU relevant to this study and the other in support of the molecular studies being performed by USC. ..
- REGULATION OF C1 METABOLISM IN METHYLOTROPHSMary Lidstrom; Fiscal Year: 2007..A distinguishing feature of methylotrophic metabolism is the generation and consumption of formaldehyde as a central intermediate, the starting point for all of metabolism...
- Develop & Validate An Ultrasound Tissue Preservation De*Zhenqing Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2006..Long-term stability of tissue morphology and mRNA integrity in USFFPE tissues is slightly better than that in conventional FFPE tissues. ..
- REGULATION OF C1 METABOLISM IN METHYLOTROPHSMary Lidstrom; Fiscal Year: 2003..From a cell biology perspective, their ability to funnel all of their cell carbon through a toxic intermediate (formaldehyde) make them of interest in terms of how they balance formaldehyde production and consumption under a wide regime ..