Summary: A non-selective beta-adrenergic antagonist with a long half-life, used in cardiovascular disease to treat arrhythmias, angina pectoris, and hypertension. Nadolol is also used for MIGRAINE DISORDERS and for tremor.
Publications175 found, 100 shown here
- The safety and effects of the beta-blocker, nadolol, in mild asthma: an open-label pilot studyNicola A Hanania
Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, 1504 Taub Loop, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:134-41. 2008..open-label, pilot study, we evaluated the safety and effects of escalating doses of the beta-blocker, nadolol, administered over 9 weeks to 10 subjects with mild asthma...
- A placebo-controlled clinical trial of nadolol in the prophylaxis of growth of small esophageal varices in cirrhosisCarlo Merkel
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Gastroenterology 127:476-84. 2004..Beta-blockers are extensively used to prevent variceal bleeding in patients with large esophageal varices. It is not established if beta-blockers delay the growth of small varices...
- Variceal ligation plus nadolol compared with ligation for prophylaxis of variceal rebleeding: a multicenter trialJoaquín de la Peña
Hospital Universitario Marques de Valdecilla, Santander, Spain
Hepatology 41:572-8. 2005..The aim of this study was to compare the efficacy of EVL combined with nadolol versus EVL alone as secondary prophylaxis for variceal bleeding...
- Endoscopic ligation compared with combined treatment with nadolol and isosorbide mononitrate to prevent recurrent variceal bleedingC Villanueva
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
N Engl J Med 345:647-55. 2001..We compared two treatments to prevent recurrent bleeding--endoscopic ligation and combined medical therapy with nadolol and isosorbide mononitrate.
- Clinical trial: a randomized controlled study on prevention of variceal rebleeding comparing nadolol + ligation vs. hepatic venous pressure gradient-guided pharmacological therapyC Villanueva
Gastrointestinal Bleeding Unit, Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Autonomous University, Barcelona, Spain
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:397-408. 2009..Hepatic venous pressure gradient (HVPG) monitoring of therapy to prevent variceal rebleeding provides strong prognostic information. Treatment of nonresponders to beta-blockers +/- nitrates has not been clarified...
- β₁-adrenergic receptor up-regulation induced by nadolol is mediated via signal transduction pathway coupled to α₁-adrenergic receptorsKoji Mizuno
Department of Pharmacology, Kawasaki Medical School, Matsushima 577, Kurashiki 701 0192, Japan
Brain Res 1414:10-21. 2011..to clarify mechanisms of β-AR up-regulation using mouse cerebral cortical neurons continuously exposed to nadolol (10 nM), a non-selective β-AR antagonist, for 24 h...
- Primary prophylaxis with nadolol in cirrhotic patients: Doppler patterns of splanchnic hemodynamics in good and poor respondersAnnalisa Berzigotti
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Cardioangiologia, Epatologia, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Via Albertoni 15, 40138 Bologna, Italy
J Hepatol 44:310-6. 2006We aimed to characterize by echo-color-Doppler the splanchnic hemodynamics of patients good and poor responders to primary prophylaxis with nadolol.
- Impact of preventive therapy with nadolol and topiramate on the quality of life of migraine patientsJ C Garcia-Monco
Service of Neurology, Hospital de Galdacano, Vizcaya, Spain
Cephalalgia 27:920-8. 2007..We aimed to evaluate the impact of preventive therapy with two widely employed drugs (topiramate and nadolol) on the quality of life of migraine patients...
- Influence of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists on the pharmacokinetics of rizatriptan, a 5-HT1B/1D agonist: differential effects of propranolol, nadolol and metoprololM R Goldberg
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Drug Metabolism and Clinical Biostatistics, Merck Research Laboratories, Blue Bell, PA 19422, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 52:69-76. 2001..mg dose of rizatriptan was administered after 7 days' administration of propranolol (60 and 120 mg twice daily), nadolol (80 mg twice daily), metoprolol (100 mg twice daily) or placebo. Rizatriptan pharmacokinetics were assessed...
- Comparative study between nadolol and 5-isosorbide mononitrate vs. endoscopic band ligation plus sclerotherapy in the prevention of variceal rebleeding in cirrhotic patients: a randomized controlled trialG Romero
Liver Unit, Hospital de Gastroenterologia Prof Bonorino Udaondo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 24:601-11. 2006..After variceal bleeding, cirrhotic patients should receive secondary prophylaxis...
- Vasovagal syncope: a prospective, randomized, crossover evaluation of the effect of propranolol, nadolol and placebo on syncope recurrence and patients' well-beingPanagiota Flevari
Second Department of Cardiology, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Athens, Greece
J Am Coll Cardiol 40:499-504. 2002We sought to assess the relative therapeutic efficacy of propranolol, nadolol and placebo in recurrent vasovagal syncope (VVS).
- Endoscopic variceal ligation plus nadolol and sucralfate compared with ligation alone for the prevention of variceal rebleeding: a prospective, randomized trialG H Lo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Hepatology 32:461-5. 2000..In addition, nadolol was administered during the course of the study or until death...
- Nadolol plus isosorbide mononitrate alone or associated with band ligation in the prevention of recurrent bleeding: a multicentre randomised controlled trialJ C Garcia-Pagan
Hepatic Hemodynamic Laboratory, Liver Unit, Institut de Malalties Digestives i Metaboliques, Hospital Clinic, Institut de Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, Barcelona, Spain
Gut 58:1144-50. 2009..The present study was aimed at evaluating this issue in a multicentre randomised controlled trial (RCT) and to correlate changes in hepatic venous pressure gradient (HVPG) during treatment with clinical outcomes..
- Endoscopic ligation vs. nadolol in the prevention of first variceal bleeding in patients with cirrhosisGin Ho Lo
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Gastrointest Endosc 59:333-8. 2004..This study compared the efficacy and safety of band ligation vs. treatment with a beta-blocker for the prophylactic prevention of first bleeding in patients with cirrhosis and high-risk esophageal varices...
- Controlled trial of ligation plus nadolol versus nadolol alone for the prevention of first variceal bleedingGin Ho Lo
Department of Medical Education, Digestive Center, E Da Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Hepatology 52:230-7. 2010Both nadolol and ligation have proved to be effective in the prophylaxis of first variceal bleeding. This study was conducted to evaluate the effects and safety of combining nadolol with ligation...
- Central beta-adrenergic modulation of cognitive flexibilityDavid Q Beversdorf
Department of Psychiatry, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Neuroreport 13:2505-7. 2002..peripherally mediated phenomenon, we compared the effects of propranolol (peripheral and central beta-blocker), nadolol (peripheral beta-blocker), and placebo on anagram task performance...
- Evaluation of endoscopic variceal ligation (EVL) versus propanolol plus isosorbide mononitrate/nadolol (ISMN) in the prevention of variceal rebleeding: comparison of cirrhotic and noncirrhotic patientsShiv K Sarin
Department of Gastroenterology, GB Pant Hospital, New Delhi, India
Dig Dis Sci 50:1538-47. 2005..However, in view of the small number of NCPH patients, further studies are needed before this can be stated conclusively...
- Combined therapy for secondary prophylaxis of variceal rebleeding?Diego Maldonado
University of Miami, School of Medicine Mt Sinai Medical Center, Florida, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2134-6. 2002
- Suppression of natural killer cell activity and promotion of tumor metastasis by ketamine, thiopental, and halothane, but not by propofol: mediating mechanisms and prophylactic measuresRivka Melamed
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Anesth Analg 97:1331-9. 2003..most potently, and this effect was markedly reduced in rats pretreated with a beta-adrenergic antagonist (nadolol) or with chronic small doses of an immunostimulator (polyriboinosinic:polyribocytidylic acid)...
- Acute down-regulation of antibody production following spinal cord injury: role of systemic catecholaminesJose L Vega
Federated Department of Biological Sciences, New Jersey Institute of Technology and Rutgers University, Newark, New Jersey, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 62:848-54. 2003..We conclude that antibody responses against i.t. antigens are attenuated acutely after SCI due to the massive release of systemic catecholamines that accompanies SCI...
- beta3-Adrenergic stimulation produces a decrease of cardiac contractility ex vivo in mice overexpressing the human beta3-adrenergic receptorGeneviève Tavernier
Unité de Recherches sur les Obésités, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 586, Institut Louis Bugnard, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse, Universite Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
Cardiovasc Res 59:288-96. 2003..Because of the lack of suitable animal models, we have generated transgenic mice with cardiac-specific expression of the human beta(3)-AR (TG beta(3) mice)...
- Determination of radical yields in solid-state drugs as one technique to identify drugs that will withstand radiosterilization: radioresistance of beta blockersAlix Engalytcheff
Laboratory of Chemical and Physicochemical Analysis of Drugs CHAM, School of Pharmacy, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Radiat Res 160:103-9. 2003..The results obtained are similar for seven of the eight beta blockers; the mean G value (excepted for nadolol) is 3 x 10(-9) mol/J. This means that beta blockers are radioresistant...
- Effect of DL-nebivolol, its enantiomers and metabolites on the intracellular production of superoxide and nitric oxide in human endothelial cellsStefano Evangelista
Preclinical Development Department, Menarini Ricerche SpA, Via Sette Santi 1, 50131 Firenze, Italy
Pharmacol Res 55:303-9. 2007..of NO, eNOS activity and intracellular Ca(2+) were partially antagonized by the antagonists of beta(1-2)-AR nadolol or by the beta(3)-AR antagonist SR59230A and further antagonized by their combination or by (beta(1-2-3)-AR ..
- Beta3-adrenoceptor in the eel (Anguilla anguilla) heart: negative inotropy and NO-cGMP-dependent mechanismS Imbrogno
Department of Pharmaco Biology, University of Calabria, 87030, Arcavacata di Rende, CS, Italy
J Exp Biol 209:4966-73. 2006..This effect was insensitive to the beta1/beta2-AR inhibitor nadolol (10 mumol l(-1)), but was blocked by the beta3-AR-specific antagonist SR(59230) (10 nmol l(-1))...
- Testing the combination beta-blocker plus topiramate in refractory migraineJ Pascual
Service of Neurology, University Hospital, Salamanca, Spain
Acta Neurol Scand 115:81-3. 2007..To test treatment combining a beta-blocker plus topiramate in migraine patients previously resistant to the two medications in monotherapy...
- Combined beta-adrenergic and cholinergic antagonism produces behavioral and cognitive impairments in the water maze: implications for Alzheimer disease and pharmacotherapy with beta-adrenergic antagonistsAndrea J Saber
Department of Psychology, Graduate Program in Neuroscience, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:1247-56. 2003..b>Nadolol administered with SCO failed to produce the same impairments as PRO, suggesting that PRO produced its effects by ..
- Determination of beta-adrenergic receptor blocking pharmaceuticals in United States wastewater effluentD B Huggett
Environmental Toxicology Research Program, University of Mississippi, University, MS 38677, USA
Environ Pollut 121:199-205. 2003..from treatment facilities in Mississippi, Texas, and New York to investigate the occurrence of metoprolol, nadolol, and propranolol...
- Nadolol plus spironolactone in the prophylaxis of first variceal bleed in nonascitic cirrhotic patients: A preliminary studyRaquel Abecasis
Liver Unit, Hospital de Gastroenterología B Udaondo, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hepatology 37:359-65. 2003..This trial was designed to assess if nadolol plus spironolactone is more effective than nadolol alone to prevent the first variceal bleeding...
- Exercise training-induced adaptations of immune response are mediated by beta-adrenergic receptors in aged but not young miceMarian L Kohut
Department of Health and Human Performance, Iowa State University, Ames, IA 50011, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:1312-22. 2004..an exercise or control group, and half of the mice in each group received the beta-adrenergic receptor antagonist nadolol. After 8 wk of moderate exercise training, mice were challenged with herpes simplex virus (HSV) 24 h postexercise...
- The use of multi-frequency EPR techniques to identify the radicals produced in irradiated beta-blockersAlix Engalytcheff
Laboratory of Chemical and Physicochemical Analysis of Drugs CHAM, UCL, Avenue Mounier, 72 30, B 1200 Bruxelles, Belgium
Free Radic Res 38:59-66. 2004..9 GHz) did not show significant differences for the four beta-blockers studied (atenolol, esmolol, nadolol and propranolol). The use of a higher frequency (285 GHz) was required...
- Is treatment with nadolol effective against the growth of small esophageal varices in patients with cirrhosis?Jaime Bosch
Liver Unit, Hospital Clinic, University of Barcelona, Spain
Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol 2:18-9. 2005
- Pharmacologic treatment of portal hypertension in the prevention of community-acquired spontaneous bacterial peritonitisBegoña González-Suárez
Gastroenterology Department, Hospital Sant Pau, Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:49-55. 2006....
- [Correlation between absorption rates of beta-adrenoreceptor antagonists in rat small intestine and their molecular structures]Xu chun Fu
Department of Pharmacy, Zhejiang University City College, Hangzhou 310015, China
Zhejiang Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 34:177-80. 2005..To study the correlation between the absorption rate constants of beta-adrenoreceptor antagonists in rat small intestinal segments and their molecular structural parameters...
- Evolution of endoscopic therapy for esophageal varicesG V Stiegmann
University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Surg Endosc 20:S467-70. 2006..This review traces the evolution of endoscopic treatment, summarizes current outcomes data, and speculates on future development...
- Marginating pulmonary-NK activity and resistance to experimental tumor metastasis: suppression by surgery and the prophylactic use of a beta-adrenergic antagonist and a prostaglandin synthesis inhibitorRivka Melamed
Neuroimmunology Research Unit, Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv 69978, Israel
Brain Behav Immun 19:114-26. 2005..p.), a beta-blocker (nadolol, 0.6 mg/kg s.c.), both drugs, or vehicle...
- Nadolol versus band ligation for prevention of variceal bleedingNirmal S Mann
Gastrointest Endosc 60:1036-7; author reply 1037. 2004
- G-protein-coupled receptor chromatographic stationary phases. 2. Ligand-induced conformational mobility in an immobilized beta2-adrenergic receptorFarideh Beigi
Laboratory of Clinical Investigation and Laboratory of Cardiovascular Science, NIA, NIH, Baltimore, Maryland 21224 6825, USA
Anal Chem 76:7187-93. 2004..3 nM). Zonal displacement chromatography using CGP 12177A as the marker and racemic mixtures of the antagonists nadolol and propranolol demonstrated that the immobilized beta(2)-AR retained its ability to specifically bind these ..
- Direct positive chronotropic action by angiotensin II in the isolated mouse atriumToyoki Mori
Research Institute of Pharmacological and Therapeutical Development, Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, 463 10 Kagasuno Kawauchi cho, Tokushima 771 0192, Japan
Life Sci 79:637-40. 2006..selective AT1-receptor antagonist, losartan at concentrations of 10(-6) M, but not by the selective beta-blocker, nadolol at concentration of 10(-5) M...
- Expression of beta-adrenergic receptor up-regulation is mediated by two different processesSeitaro Ohkuma
Department of Pharmacology, Kawasaki Medical School, Kurashiki 701 0192, Japan
Brain Res 1112:114-25. 2006Mechanisms of up-regulation of beta-adrenergic receptors (beta-ARs) induced by sustained exposure to 10(-8) M nadolol, a non-selective beta-AR antagonist, were examined using mouse cerebrocortical neurons...
- Beta-adrenergic receptor blockade during exercise decreases intestinal lymphocyte apoptosis but not cell loss in miceS Marra
Department of Health Studies and Gerontology, Faculty of Applied Health Sciences, University of Waterloo, ON, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 82:465-73. 2004..Mice received an intraperitoneal injection of phentolamine (a nonselective alpha-blocker), nadolol (a nonselective beta-blocker), or saline (vehicle) prior to an exhaustive bout of exercise...
- Management of cirrhosis and ascitesM Emmanuel Bhaskar
N Engl J Med 351:300-1; author reply 300-1. 2004
- Comparison of endoscopic variceal ligation and nadolol plus isosorbide-5-mononitrate in the prevention of first variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patientsHuay Min Wang
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, R O C
J Chin Med Assoc 69:453-60. 2006..This study compared the efficacy and safety of band ligation vs. combination of beta-blocker and nitrate for the prevention of first bleeding in patients with cirrhosis and high-risk esophageal varices...
- Hemodynamic response-guided therapy for prevention of variceal rebleeding: an uncontrolled pilot studyAntonio Gonzalez
Liver Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Institut de Recerca Vall d Hebron, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Hepatology 44:806-12. 2006..b>Nadolol and nitrates were initiated, and a second HVPG was measured 15 days later...
- Catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia: successful emergency treatment with intravenous propranololGabriella De Rosa
Pediatric Cardiology, Catholic University Medical School, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Emerg Care 20:175-7. 2004..Long-term nadolol therapy effectively prevented further arrhythmias, with no relapses up to 10 months later; a good neurologic ..
- Maintenance of hemodynamic response to treatment for portal hypertension and influence on complications of cirrhosisCandid Villanueva
Department of Gastroenterology, Hospital de la Santa Creu i Sant Pau, Avgda Sant Antoni M Claret, 167, 08025 Barcelona, Spain
J Hepatol 40:757-65. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the long-term maintenance of hemodynamic response and its influence on complications of cirrhosis...
- Disagreement between acute and chronic haemodynamic effects of nadolol in cirrhosis: a pathophysiological interpretationC Merkel
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 22:433-9. 2005..The acute effects of beta-blockers may be different from chronic; mechanisms underlying this difference are poorly elucidated...
- Chronic exposure to beta-blockers attenuates inflammation and mucin content in a murine asthma modelLong P Nguyen
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Houston, College of Pharmacy, 4800 Calhoun, Houston, TX 77204 5037, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38:256-62. 2008..Similar to heart failure, our results provide a second disease model in which beta-blockers producing an acutely detrimental effect may provide a therapeutically beneficial effect with chronic administration...
- Role of central beta-adrenergic receptors in regulating proinflammatory cytokine responses to a peripheral bacterial challengeJohn D Johnson
Biological Sciences Department, Kent State University, Kent, OH 44242, USA
Brain Behav Immun 22:1078-86. 2008..was due leakage of propranolol into the general circulation and blockade of peripheral beta-blockade, nadolol (beta-ADR antagonist that does not cross the BBB) was administered peripherally prior to E. coli...
- Improved survival in patients receiving medical therapy as compared with banding ligation for the prevention of esophageal variceal rebleedingGin Ho Lo
Department of Medical Education and Research, Division of Gastroenterology, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Hepatology 48:580-7. 2008..history of esophageal variceal bleeding and randomized to receive EVL (EVL group, 60 patients) or drug therapy, nadolol plus isosorbide-5-mononitrate (N+I) (N+I group, 61 patients) to prevent variceal rebleeding...
- Severe acne as a side effect of propranolol and nadolol in a migraineurZ H Bajwa
Department of Anesthesia and Neurology, Arnold Pain Center, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, 330 Brookline Avenue, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Headache 39:758-60. 1999..Dermatologic side effects are extremely rare. We report a patient with migraine who developed an acnelike dermatitis with two different beta-blockers with complete resolution of the acne upon discontinuation of each drug...
- Say what, beta-blockers for asthma?Geoffrey L Chupp
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 38:249-50. 2008
- Prevention of varices rebleeding: are drugs better after all?Laurie Blendis
Gastroenterology 122:832-3. 2002
- Effect of chronic beta-blockade on QT interval in patients with liver cirrhosisAndrea Zambruni
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Cardioangiologia, Epatologia, Semeiotica Medica, Alma Mater Studiorum, Universita di Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Hepatol 48:415-21. 2008..QT interval prolongation is frequent in cirrhosis, predicts a poor prognosis and may trigger severe ventricular arrhythmias. Our aim was to evaluate the effect of chronic beta-blockade on QT prolongation...
- Key role of myosin light chain (MLC) kinase-mediated MLC2a phosphorylation in the alpha 1-adrenergic positive inotropic effect in human atriumMichael Grimm
Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 65:211-20. 2005..This study investigated alpha(1)-adrenergic contractile effects and the role of MLC kinase (MLCK)-dependent phosphorylation of MLC2 in human atrial muscle strips...
- Noradrenergic neuromodulation of human attention for emotional and neutral stimuliBenedetto De Martino
Functional Imaging Laboratory, Institute of Neurology, Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging, 12 Queen Square, London, WC1N 3BG, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 197:127-36. 2008..Norepinephrine (NE) has a regulatory role in human attention...
- Adsorption of beta blockers to environmental surfacesTohren C G Kibbey
School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science, The University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 73019 1024, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:5349-56. 2007..The objective of this work was to examine the adsorption of three beta blockers, propranolol, metoprolol and nadolol, to a natural alluvial material, as well as to six minerals present as components of the alluvial material...
- Changes in beta 2-adrenoceptor and other signaling proteins produced by chronic administration of 'beta-blockers' in a murine asthma modelRui Lin
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Houston, Houston, TX, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:115-24. 2008..We have previously reported that chronic treatment with certain 'beta-blockers' reduces airway hyperresponsiveness (AHR) to methacholine in a murine model of asthma...
- The effects of beta-adrenoceptor stimulation on adhesion of human natural killer cells to cultured endotheliumR J Benschop
Department of Immunology, University Hospital, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 113:1311-6. 1994..7. Together, these results show that stimulation of beta2-adrenoceptors on NK cells negatively influences their capacity to adhere to EC, and that beta2-adrenoceptors on EC play a negligible role in this phenomenon...
- Peripheral and central adrenoceptor modulation of the behavioural effects of clozapine in the paw testE P Prinssen
Department of Psycho and Neuropharmacology, University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 112:769-74. 1994..The beta-antagonist, (-)-propranolol as well as the peripherally acting beta-antagonist, nadolol decreased this effect of clozapine...
- Comparison of the analysis of beta-blockers by different techniquesE Pujos
Service Central d Analyse, USR 059, CNRS, 69360 Solaize, France
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:4007-14. 2009..acebutolol, alprenolol, atenolol, betaxolol, bisoprolol, carteolol, labetalol, metipranolol, metoprolol, nadolol, oxprenolol, pindolol, propranolol, sotalol, timolol, and bupranolol...
- The role of autacoids and the autonomic nervous system in cardiovascular responses to radio-frequency energy heatingJ R Jauchem
Air Force Research Laboratory, Directed Energy Bio Effects Division, Radio Frequency Radiation Branch, Brooks City Base, TX 78235 5147, USA
Auton Autacoid Pharmacol 26:121-40. 2006..A lack of effects of nadolol on survival time and temperature, coupled with its poor ability to traverse the blood-brain barrier, suggests ..
- Quantitative structure-retention and retention-activity relationships of beta-blocking agents by micellar liquid chromatographyA Detroyer
Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, Pharmaceutical Institute, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Belgium
J Chromatogr A 912:211-21. 2001..agents (acebutolol, alprenolol, atenolol, bisoprolol, carteolol, celiprolol, esmolol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, oxprenolol, pindolol, practolol, propranolol, sotalol and timolol) showing a large range of hydrophobicity (..
- Screening for library-assisted identification and fully validated quantification of 22 beta-blockers in blood plasma by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry with atmospheric pressure chemical ionizationHans H Maurer
Department of Experimental and Clinical Toxicology, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Saarland, D 66421 Homburg Saar, Germany
J Chromatogr A 1058:169-81. 2004..betaxolol, bisoprolol, bupranolol, carazolol, carteolol, carvedilol, celiprolol, esmolol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, nebivolol, oxprenolol, penbutolol, propranolol, sotalol, talinolol and timolol in blood plasma after mixed-mode (..
- Fenfluramine-induced immunosuppression: an in vivo analysisThomas J Connor
Department of Pharmacology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Eur J Pharmacol 455:175-85. 2002..be accounted for by increased interleukin-10 production, as pretreatment with the beta-adrenoceptor antagonist nadolol completely blocked the increase in interleukin-10 without altering the suppression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha ..
- Fate of beta blockers in aquatic-sediment systems: sorption and biotransformationMaria Ramil
Federal Institute of Hydrology, D 56068 Koblenz, Am Mainzer Tor 1, Germany
Environ Sci Technol 44:962-70. 2010The fate of beta blockers (atenolol, acebutolol, bisoprolol, celiprolol, metoprolol, nadolol, pindolol, propranolol, and sotalol) was studied in surface water-sediment systems...
- Evaluation of an immortalized retinal endothelial cell line as an in vitro model for drug transport studies across the blood-retinal barrierJie Shen
Department of Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism, Allergan, Inc, Irvine, California 92612, USA
Pharm Res 20:1357-63. 2003..To evaluate the growth and barrier properties of an immortalized rat retinal endothelial cell line (TR-iBRB) maintained on permeable membrane for drug transport studies...
- Migrainous scintillating scotoma and headache is ocular in origin: A new hypothesisVinod Kumar Gupta
Dubai Police Medical Services, P O Box 12005, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Med Hypotheses 66:454-60. 2006..Atenolol, nadolol, or verapamil prevent migraine but do not readily cross the blood-brain barrier or critically influence any brain ..
- Treatment of gastropathy and gastric antral vascular ectasia in patients with portal hypertensionCristina Ripoll
Guadalupe Garcia Tsao, MD Digestive Diseases Section, Yale University School of Medicine, 333 Cedar Street 1080 LMP, New Haven, CT 06510, USA
Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol 10:483-94. 2007..First-line therapy for chronic hemorrhage from PHG is a nonselective beta-blocker (propranolol or nadolol) and iron supplementation...
- Relationship between hydrophobicity and beta-blocking potencies, affinities or dissociation of beta-blockers from beta-adrenoceptorsT Nakamura
Department of Pharmacology, Niigata College of Pharmacy, Japan
Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol 106:203-11. 1999..in the present study were bopindolol, active metabolite of bopindolol (18-502), atenolol, propranolol, pindolol, nadolol, alprenolol, oxprenolol, metoprolol, labetalol and acebutolol...
- Beta-blockers and benzodiazepines location in SDS and bile salt micellar systems. An ESR studySalette Reis
REQUIMTE, Departamento de Quimica Fisica, Faculdade de Farmacia, Universidade do Porto, 4099 030 Porto, Portugal
J Pharm Biomed Anal 45:62-9. 2007..of the different species of two families of pharmaceutical substances, namely two beta-blockers (atenolol and nadolol) and two benzodiazepines (midazolam and nitrazepam) in synthetic (sodium dodecyl sulphate, SDS) and natural (bile ..
- Beta-blockers and hypertensionW Flamenbaum
Department of Medicine, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York
Am J Hypertens 2:86S-89S. 1989..It had been predicted that nadolol, a noncardioselective beta-blocker without intrinsic sympathomimetic activity, should result in decreased renal ..
- Direct enantiomeric resolution of some cardiovascular agents using synthetic polymers imprinted with (-)-S-timolol as chiral stationary phase by thin layer chromatographyH Y Aboul-Enein
Pharmaceutical Analysis Laboratory, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Pharmazie 57:169-71. 2002..The resolution of the enantiomers of some cardiovascular drugs, including propranolol, atenolol, timolol, nadolol, nifedipine and verapamil were investigated on these CSPs...
- Vascular perfused segments of human intestine as a tool for drug absorptionYansheng Wei
Bowman Research Inc, Des Plaines, IL 60018, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 37:731-6. 2009..9 to 4.0 x 10(-3) min(-1); group 2: cimetidine, timolol, nadolol, and ranitidine, k(a) = 6.4 to 8.3 x 10(-3) min(-1); group 3: atenolol and metoprolol, k(a) = 9...
- Cassette analysis of eight beta-blockers in bovine eye sclera, choroid-RPE, retina, and vitreous by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryRajendra S Kadam
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Colorado Denver, Aurora, CO 80045, USA
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 877:253-60. 2009..method was developed for the simultaneous extraction and determination of eight beta-blockers (atenolol, sotalol, nadolol, pindolol, timolol, metoprolol, betaxolol and propranolol) in various bovine eye tissues including sclera, ..
- Biopharmaceutics classification of selected beta-blockers: solubility and permeability class membershipYongsheng Yang
Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Office of Pharmaceutical Science, 10903 New Hampshire Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland 20993, USA
Mol Pharm 4:608-14. 2007..to determine the permeability and solubility of seven beta-blockers (acebutolol, atenolol, labetalol, metoprolol, nadolol, sotalol, and timolol) and to classify them according to the Biopharmaceutics Classification System (BCS)...
- Inverse agonist activities of beta-adrenoceptor antagonists in rat myocardiumD R Varma
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Br J Pharmacol 127:895-902. 1999..atenolol and metoprolol, beta2AR antagonist ICI-181,551 and nonselective betaAR antagonists alprenolol, nadolol, propranolol and timolol produced negative inotropic effects, which were most marked on the right atria. 3...
- Controlled transdermal iontophoresis by ion-exchange fiberT Jaskari
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211, Kuopio, Finland
J Control Release 67:179-90. 2000..The release rates of lipophilic tacrine and propranolol were significantly slower than that of hydrophilic nadolol. Permeation of tacrine across the skin was directly related to the iontophoretic current density and drug ..
- Role of beta-3-adrenoceptor in catecholamine-induced relaxations in gastric fundus from control and diabetic ratsIsil Ozakca
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ankara University, Tandogan Ankara, Turkey
Pharmacology 80:227-38. 2007..Isoprenaline-mediated relaxation was not significantly changed by nadolol (beta(1)-/beta(2)-adrenoceptor antagonist; 1 micromol/l) but only shifted to the right by SR59230A (3-(2-..
- Life-threatening flecainide intoxication in a young child secondary to medication errorLisa C A D'Alessandro
Department of Paediatrics, Children s Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre, University of Western Ontario, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 43:1522-7. 2009..To describe a case of life-threatening flecainide intoxication in a toddler, secondary to accidental reversal of syringes used for oral administration...
- [Efficacy of the combination of low doses of beta-blockers and amiodarone in the treatment of refractory ventricular tachycardia]J Tonet
Service de Rythmologie et de Stimulation Cardiaque, , Ivry-sur-Seine
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 82:1511-7. 1989..of a daily low dose of a beta-blocker agent (acebutolol 100 mg, betaxolol 5-10 mg, metoprolol 50-100 mg, nadolol 20-40 mg, pindolol 2.5 mg, propranolol 30 mg, sotalol 80-160 mg, tertatolol 2...
- A randomized, controlled trial of banding ligation plus drug therapy versus drug therapy alone in the prevention of esophageal variceal rebleedingGin Ho Lo
Digestive Center, E Da Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:982-7. 2009..However, the relative efficacy and safety of the combined treatment for preventing rebleeding remains unresolved...
- Differential expression of the beta2-adrenergic receptor by Th1 and Th2 clones: implications for cytokine production and B cell helpV M Sanders
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology, and Anatomy, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL 60153, USA
J Immunol 158:4200-10. 1997..IgG2a inhibition was prevented by addition of the betaAR antagonist nadolol or exogenous IFN-gamma...
- [Pharmacology of beta blockers and their significance for therapy of hypertension]Martin Wehling
Institut fur Klinische Pharmakologie, Fakultät für Klinische Medizin Mannheim der Ruprecht Karls Universität Heidelberg
Herz 27:16-25. 2002..Their effects are mediated by the blockade of various alpha- und beta-receptors and specific com-pounds have been developed to address them...
- Hypothermia in barbiturate-anesthetized rats suppresses natural killer cell activity and compromises resistance to tumor metastasis: a role for adrenergic mechanismsS Ben-Eliyahu
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Anesthesiology 91:732-40. 1999..This study evaluated the effect of hypothermia on the activity and number of blood natural killer cells and on host susceptibility to metastasis. The involvement of adrenergic mechanisms was also considered...
- Separation of basic compounds of pharmaceutical interest by using nano-liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometrySalvatore Fanali
Institute of Chemical Methodologies, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, 00016 Monterotondo scalo Rome, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1150:252-8. 2007..The separation of selected beta-blockers, namely nadolol, oxprenolol, alprenolol and propranolol in the presence of terbutaline was performed using two 75 microm I.D...
- Enantioseparation of beta-blockers with two chiral centers by capillary electrophoresis using sulfated beta-cyclodextrinsS L Tamisier-Karolak
Faculte de Pharmacie, Laboratoire de Chimie Analytique, Chatenay Malabry, France
Electrophoresis 20:2656-63. 1999..methods for the enantioresolution of two beta-blockers possessing two chiral centers--labetalol and nadolol--were developed using electrokinetic chromatography...
- Hypertensive response to levonordefrin in a patient receiving propranolol: report of caseR S Mito
University of California, Center for the Health Sciences, Los Angeles 90024
J Am Dent Assoc 116:55-7. 1988..These recommendations apply to other nonselective beta-blockers, including nadolol (Corgard) and timolol (Blocadren)...
- Cost considerations in headache treatment. Part 1: Prophylactic migraine treatmentJ U Adelman
Adelman Headache Center, Greensboro, NC 27403, USA
Headache 35:479-87. 1995..Atenolol 100 mg qd ($27.50/month) is less expensive than long-acting propranolol 160 mg ($35.56/month) and nadolol 120 mg qd ($43.68/month) with equivalent effectiveness...
- Nonselective Beta-adrenergic blockade augments fasting hyperkalemia in hemodialysis patientsMichał Nowicki
Department of Nephrology, Polish Mother s Memorial Hospital Research Institute, Łódź, Poland
Nephron 91:222-7. 2002..Fasting hyperkalemia in patients with end-stage renal failure is a well-documented phenomenon. Both a decreased secretion of insulin and decreased beta-adrenergic receptor sensitivity may take part in this effect...
- Suppression of NK cell activity and of resistance to metastasis by stress: a role for adrenal catecholamines and beta-adrenoceptorsS Ben-Eliyahu
Department of Psychology, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Neuroimmunomodulation 8:154-64. 2000..p.), by adrenal demedullation, by a selective beta-adrenergic antagonist (nadolol, 0...
- Antagonist characterization of atypical beta adrenoceptors in guinea pig ileum: blockade by alprenolol and dihydroalprenololD R Blue
Department of Pharmacology, University of Houston, TX
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 252:1034-42. 1990..Before this study, nadolol (pA2 = 4.7) was the only documented antagonist at the atypical beta adrenoceptor in guinea pig ileum...
- Positive influence of AT(1) receptor antagonism upon the impaired celiprolol-induced vasodilatation in aorta from spontaneously hypertensive ratsFrédérique Sauvaget
ONIRIS, UPSP 5304 de Physiopathologie Animale et de Pharmacologie Fonctionnelle, Atlanpole La Chantrerie, BP 40706, Nantes, F 44307, France
Eur J Pharmacol 644:169-75. 2010..In both strains, relaxation to celiprolol was decreased in the presence of nadolol (a beta(1)/beta(2)-adrenoceptor antagonist, 10 microM)...
- Autonomic efferents affect intake of imbalanced amino acid diets by ratsLarry L Bellinger
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Baylor College of Dentistry, a member of the Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, 3302 Gaston Avenue Dallas, TX 75246, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 81:24-31. 2005..First, VGBX and sham-operated (SHAM) groups were injected with vehicle or phenoxybenzamine (alpha-blocker), or nadolol (beta-blocker) before introducing the IMB diet...
- Frog intestinal sac as an in vitro method for the assessment of intestinal permeability in humans: Application to carrier transported drugsMassimo Franco
Dipartimento Farmaco Chimico, Facolta di Farmacia, Universita degli Studi di Bari, Via Orabona 4, 70125 Bari, Italy
Int J Pharm 352:182-8. 2008..in determining the frog intestinal absorption of drugs was supported by the specific inhibition of cimetidine or nadolol transport in the presence of verapamil...
- Encainide versus flecainide in the treatment of chronic resistant paroxysmal atrial tachyarrhythmiasP Coumel
Hopital Lariboisiere, Paris, France
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 4:579-84. 1990..Flecainide (mean 200 mg/day) given alone in five patients, or combined with amiodarone in four, and nadolol in one had been used for a mean of 19 months (range, 4-48)...
- CGP12177-induced haemodynamic and vascular effects in normotensive and hypertensive ratsDelphine Holopherne
UPSP 5304 de Physiopathologie Animale et de Pharmacologie Fonctionnelle, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire, BP40706, F 44307 Nantes, France
Eur J Pharmacol 591:196-202. 2008..Vasorelaxation was not modified by nadolol, a beta(1) and beta(2)-adrenoreceptor antagonist, nor by L748337, a beta(3)-adrenoceptor antagonist, but was ..
- Penetration of dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine monolayers and bilayers by model beta-blocker agents of varying lipophilicityS L Krill
Abbott Laboratories Pharmaceutics Center D 4P3, Building AP 9, 100 Abbott Park Road Abbott Park, Illinois 60064, USA
J Pharm Sci 87:751-6. 1998Penetration of model beta-blockers, propranolol, oxprenolol, metaprolol, and nadolol, into dimyristoylphosphatidylcholine (DMPC) monolayers cast on a pH 7.4 phosphate buffer (mu = 0...
- Pulmonary vein isolation and the Cox maze procedure only partially denervate the atriumShelly C Lall
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:894-900. 2008..This study examined the effects of radiofrequency ablation on atrial autonomic innervation and compared pulmonary vein isolation and the biatrial Cox maze procedure...
- Evaluation of in vivo partial beta 1/beta 2-agonist activity: a dose-ranging study with carteololN M Wheeldon
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee
Br J Clin Pharmacol 33:411-6. 1992..2. Eight normal subjects received single oral doses of carteolol 10 mg, 30 mg and 60 mg; nadolol 40 mg; pindolol 30 mg and placebo, given in a single-blind, randomised crossover design. 3...
- Drug-induced thyrotoxic periodic paralysisMichael P Kane
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Albany College of Pharmacy, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Ann Pharmacother 40:778-81. 2006..To report a case of iodine-induced (Jod-Basedow) hyperthyroidism leading to thyrotoxic periodic paralysis (TPP)...
- [Catecholinergic ventricular tachycardia in children]I Denjoy
Cardiologie Pediatrique, Hopital Robert Debre, Paris
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 98:506-12. 2005..With betablocker treatment (nadolol: 1.6 +/- 0.15 mg/kg), 96% of patients remained asymptomatic over an average follow-up of between 7.5 +/- 1...
- Exercise & influenza immunity:Psychoneuroendocrine ModelMarian Kohut; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings from this study may have relevance from both a clinical and basic research perspective, if moderate exercise is associated with enhanced anti-influenza immunity and improved protection from infection. ..
- Mechanisms of beta-blocker induced improvements in asthmaRICHARD AGUSTIN BOND; Fiscal Year: 2010..Also, in a small clinical trial treating 10 mild asthmatics with the non-selective 13-blocker, nadolol, there was a dose-dependent increase in the P020 methacholine that resulted in a change of>two doubling doses ..
- Mechanisms of beta-blocker induced improvements in asthmaRichard Bond; Fiscal Year: 2009..Also, in a small clinical trial treating 10 mild asthmatics with the non-selective 13-blocker, nadolol, there was a dose-dependent increase in the P020 methacholine that resulted in a change of> two doubling doses ..
- SIMIAN AIDS: SOCIAL STRESS, ENDOCRINE & IMMUNE FUNCTIONJohn Capitanio; Fiscal Year: 2004..affect SIV disease progression following establishment of viral set-point, and to generate pilot data on whether nadolol, a beta-adrenergic receptor antagonist, and DHEA, an adrenal androgen associated with enhanced immune function, ..
- Exercise-induced immunomodulation in the agedMarian Kohut; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- CIRRHOSIS AND ITS COMPLICATIONSGuadalupe Garcia Tsao; Fiscal Year: 2007..Renewal of the award will allow Dr. Garcia-Tsao to maintain both POR and her mentoring endeavors to their fullest extent so she can continue to make significant contributions in the field of chronic liver disease and its complications. ..
- Exercise-induced immunomodulation in the aged: MechanismsMarian L Kohut; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- THERAPUTIC TRIAL IN PATIENTS WITH LQTS 3 GENE MUTATIONArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..The significance of this work relates to the future use of molecular therapeutics to treat ion-channel disorders associated with congenital and acquired cardiac repolarization disorders. ..
- THROMBOGENIC FACTORS AND RECURRENT CORONARY EVENTSArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- LONG QT SYNDROME--GENETIC STUDIESArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- LONG QT SYNDROME--POPULATION, GENETIC & CARDIAC STUDIESArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2002..This integrated research program is intended to: 1) improve the presymptomatic diagnosis and treatment of LQTS; and 2) provide a fundamental understanding of the molecular basis of repolarization-related cardiac arrhythmias. ..
- Predicting Driver Safety in Parkinson's DiseaseErgun Uc; Fiscal Year: 2007..Fair and accurate means of detecting unfit drivers with PD will help mitigate the tragedy of motor vehicle crashes caused by these impaired individuals. ..
- Long QT Syndrome: Population, Genetic & Cardiac StudiesArthur J Moss; Fiscal Year: 2010..This enhanced knowledge should lead to more effective strategies for prevention of sudden death in a broad spectrum of genetic and acquired cardiac disorders with meaningful public health benefits. ..
- Psychoneuroimmunology-Immunotherapy interactionsShamgar Ben Eliyahu; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge gained could reduce side effects and enhance the efficacy of immunotherapy before and after surgery, potentially increasing survival rates in cancer patients. ..
- Novel Approaches to Blood Brain Barrier FunctionAlex Avdeef; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Social Stress, GC Resistance and Innate ImmunityJohn Sheridan; Fiscal Year: 2007..4. Determine the effect of SDR on innate immunity and susceptibility to infectious disease. This study will elucidate the mechanisms of immunoregulation and host resistance to disease that are altered by social stress. ..
- STRESS-INDUCED IMMUNOSUPPRESSION OF ANTI-VIRAL IMMUNITYJohn Sheridan; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, the influenza virus model provides a system in which to examine the immunological, endocrinological, and pathological changes associated with stress during a viral infection...
- Psychoneuroimmunology-Immunotherapy interactionsShamgar Ben Eliyahu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The knowledge gained could reduce side effects and enhance the efficacy of immunotherapy before and after surgery, potentially increasing survival rates in cancer patients. ..
- Regulation of Brain IL-1 & Sickness Responses Following E.coli ChallengeJohn Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- SOCIAL REORGANIZATION, HPA REACTIVITY AND INFLAMMATIONJohn Sheridan; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will attempt to elucidate the central and peripheral mechanisms by which a psychosocial stressor impacts a host's resistance to challenge. ..
- Long QT Syndrome: Population, Genetic & Cardiac StudiesArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2009..This enhanced knowledge should lead to more effective strategies for prevention of sudden death in a broad spectrum of genetic and acquired cardiac disorders with meaningful public health benefits. ..
- LONG QT SYNDROME--POPULATION, GENETIC & CARDIAC STUDIESArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 1993....
- Long QT Syndrome: Population, Genetic & Cardiac StudiesArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- LONG QT SYNDROME--GENETIC ASPECTSArthur Moss; Fiscal Year: 1993..This integrated research program offers a substantial prospect of: 1) improving the diagnosis and treatment of LQTS; and 2) providing a fundamental understanding of the molecular basis of repolarization-related cardiac arrhythmias...