Genomes and Genes
Summary: A milky, product excreted from the latex canals of a variety of plant species that contain cauotchouc. Latex is composed of 25-35% caoutchouc, 60-75% water, 2% protein, 2% resin, 1.5% sugar & 1% ash. RUBBER is made by the removal of water from latex.(From Concise Encyclopedia Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 3rd ed) However, the term latex has been broadened in scope to include RUBBER and other synthetic polymers. Latexes are used as inert vehicles to carry antibodies or antigens in LATEX FIXATION TESTS.
Publications201 found, 100 shown here
- Lipid transfer protein from Hevea brasiliensis (Hev b 12), a cross-reactive latex proteinDonald H Beezhold
Guthrie Research Institute, Sayre, Pennsylvania 18840, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:439-45. 2003b>Latex-allergic individuals experience clinical cross-reactivity to a large number of fruits and vegetables...
- Latex allergy: a model for therapyJ M Rolland
Department of Immunology, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Clin Exp Allergy 38:898-912. 2008Allergy to natural rubber latex products emerged as an important clinical condition following an increase in the use of latex gloves for barrier protection in the early 1980s...
- Latex-allergic patients sensitized to the major allergen hevein and hevein-like domains of class I chitinases show no increased frequency of latex-associated plant food allergyChristian Radauer
Department of Pathophysiology and Allergy Research, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Mol Immunol 48:600-9. 2011Allergies to certain fruits such as banana, avocado, chestnut and kiwi are described in 30-70% of latex-allergic patients...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of sublingual immunotherapy in patients with latex-induced urticaria: a 12-month studyE Nettis
Department of Clinical Medicine, Immunology and Infectious Deseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Br J Dermatol 156:674-81. 2007Natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy is a worldwide problem. Although prevention is sufficient to reduce sensitization, prolonged avoidance is needed to prevent resensitization or adverse reactions on re-exposure.
- Transformation of opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.) with antisense berberine bridge enzyme gene (anti-bbe) via somatic embryogenesis results in an altered ratio of alkaloids in latex but not in rootsSusanne Frick
Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry, Weinberg 3, D 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Transgenic Res 13:607-13. 2004..The transgenic plants contained one additional copy of the transgene. The alkaloid content in latex and roots was determined with HPLC and LC-MS...
- Efficacy of the male latex condom and of the female polyurethane condom as barriers to semen during intercourse: a randomized clinical trialMaurizio Macaluso
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:88-96. 2007In this 2000-2001 study, the authors compared the effectiveness of the male latex condom and the female polyurethane condom by assessing frequency and types of mechanical failure and by evaluating semen exposure during use...
- Insights into rubber biosynthesis from transcriptome analysis of Hevea brasiliensis latexKeng See Chow
Biotechnology Unit, Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, Malaysian Rubber Board, RRIM Experiment Station, 47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia
J Exp Bot 58:2429-40. 2007..In this study, 10,040 expressed sequence tags (ESTs) were generated from the latex of the rubber tree, which represents the cytoplasmic content of a single cell type, in order to analyse the latex ..
- Hydrogen production by photoreactive nanoporous latex coatings of nongrowing Rhodopseudomonas palustris CGA009Jimmy L Gosse
Biotechnology Institute, 140 Gortner Laboratory, and Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics, University of Minnesota, 1479 Gortner Avenue, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
Biotechnol Prog 23:124-30. 2007..0 x 108 CFU/muL formulation) nongrowing Rhodopseudomonas palustris CGA009 were immobilized in thin, nanoporous, latex coatings...
- Cysteine proteases from the Asclepiadaceae plants latex exhibited thrombin and plasmin like activitiesH V Shivaprasad
Department of Studies in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore, India
J Thromb Thrombolysis 28:304-8. 2009In the present study we evaluated the presence of cysteine protease from the latex of four plants Asclepias curassavica L., Calotropis gigantea R.Br., Pergularia extensa R.Br. and Cynanchum puciflorum R.Br...
- In vitro neuronal cytotoxicity of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elasticsMark Hanson
Department of Biomedical Sciences, School of Dentistry, Marquette University, 561 N. 15th Street, Room 426, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:65-70. 2004..We evaluated the neurotoxicity of 3 latex and 3 nonlatex orthodontic elastics in murine cerebral cortical cell cultures...
- [Consensus Document. Update on latex exposure and use of gloves in Italian health care settings]Michela Crippa
Unità di Allergologia Occupazionale, Servizio di Medicina del Lavoro, Az Spedali Civili Brescia, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Brescia
Med Lav 99:387-99. 2008..working group including occupational health professionals involved for many years in the management of glove- and latex-related problems in health care settings...
- Purification of Euphorbia characias latex peroxidase by calmodulin-affinity chromatographyFrancesca Pintus
Department of Applied Sciences in Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Ital J Biochem 56:1-5. 2007A new procedure to purify to homogeneity an Euphorbia characias latex peroxidase is performed employing a calmodulin-Sepharose column as affinity chromatography...
- Evaluation of force degradation characteristics of orthodontic latex elastics in vitro and in vivoTong Wang
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Department of Orthodontics, Hospital and School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
Angle Orthod 77:688-93. 2007To evaluate the characteristics of force degradation of latex elastics in clinical applications and in vitro studies.
- Influence of ammonia and carbon dioxide on the sorption of a basic organic pollutant to carpet and latex-painted gypsum boardManeerat Ongwandee
Missouri University of Science and Technology, MO, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:5415-20. 2008..In contrast, NH3 decreases the surface capacity of both carpet and latex paint. Sorption of TMA to these indoor materials is primarily caused by interactions at one or more interfaces...
- Oxidation of 2-mercaptobenzothiazole in latex gloves and its possible haptenation pathwayItai Chipinda
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Branch, Health Effects Laboratory Division, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, WV 26505 2888, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 20:1084-92. 2007..The data suggest that the critical functional group on MBT is the thiol, and haptenation is via the formation of mixed disulfides between the thiol group on MBT and a protein sulfhydryl group...
- A comparison of dynamic and static testing of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elasticsMichael L Kersey
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Angle Orthod 73:181-6. 2003..Samples of American Orthodontics' 0.25 inch, 4.5 oz (6.35 mm, 127.5 g) latex and nonlatex elastics were used and a sample size of 12 elastics per group was tested...
- Natural rubber latex and chestnut allergy: cross-reactivity or co-sensitization?M Raulf-Heimsoth
Research Institute of Occupational Medicine of the Berufsgenossenschaften BGFA, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Allergy 62:1277-81. 2007Chestnut and natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy are often associated in the latex-fruit syndrome.
- Percutaneous reactivity to natural rubber latex proteins persists in health-care workers following avoidance of natural rubber latexA M Smith
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Allergy Immunology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 37:1349-56. 2007Long-term avoidance of natural rubber latex [Hevea brasiliensis (Hev b)] is currently recommended for health-care workers (HCWs) with established natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy...
- Exercise with latex sport bands represents a risk for latex allergic patientsEva Untersmayr
Department of Pathophysiology, Center of Physiology, Pathophysiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Immunol Lett 115:98-104. 2008Based on two clinical observations of adverse reactions during exercise with latex sport bands, we aimed to assess the possible risk for allergic patients posed by this equipment by investigating allergen content and IgE binding ..
- In vitro assessment of the mechanical properties of latex and non-latex orthodontic elasticsK A Russell
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 120:36-44. 2001The increased incidence of latex allergies has led to the development of non-latex orthodontic products. The purpose of this study was to compare the mechanical properties of latex and non-latex orthodontic elastics...
- Role of lipid rafts in phagocytic uptake of polystyrene latex microspheres by macrophagesGoshi Nagao
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Anticancer Res 30:3167-76. 2010..Micro- and nanospheres have been used as carrier materials for effective delivery of drugs into macrophages via endocytosis including phagocytosis for the treatment of cancer and infections...
- Toxicity of aqueous extract of Euphorbia tirucalli latex on catfish, Heteropneustes fossilisAbhishek Kumar
Department of Zoology, D D U Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273009, India
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 73:1671-3. 2010..renewal acute toxicity test was performed to determine the LC(50) value of aqueous extract of Euphorbia tirucalli latex for the freshwater fish, Heteropneustes fossilis...
- Component-resolved diagnosis from latex allergy by microarrayD G Ebo
Department of Immunology Allergology Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Exp Allergy 40:348-58. 2010A positive specific IgE (sIgE) result for latex does not always mirror the clinical situation and is frequently found in individuals without overt latex allergy.
- Allergenicity of Hev b 13, a major esterase allergen in natural rubber latex (Hevea brasiliensis) allergy, does not only depend on its carbohydrate moietyPierre Rouge
Surfaces Cellulaires et Signalisation chez les Végétaux, UMR Université Paul Sabatier CNRS 5546, 24 Chemin de Borde Rouge, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Mol Immunol 47:871-7. 2010The three-dimensional model built for the major latex allergen Hev b 13 consists of the typical organization of plant esterases made of a central bundle of five parallel beta-strands surrounded by five alpha-helices associated to two ..
- Isolated hevein-like domains, but not 31-kd endochitinases, are responsible for IgE-mediated in vitro and in vivo reactions in latex-fruit syndromePiia Karisola
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:598-605. 2005Individuals with natural rubber latex allergy often have immediate reactions to plant-derived foods and fresh fruits, such as avocado and banana...
- Calcium ions and a secreted peroxidase in Euphorbia characias latex are made for each otherFrancesca Pintus
Department of Applied Sciences in Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Protein J 30:115-23. 2011This minireview deals of a protein, a class III secreted peroxidase, present as unique isoform in the latex of the perennial Mediterranean shrub Euphorbia characias...
- Hevein-like protein domains as a possible cause for allergen cross-reactivity between latex and bananaJ H Mikkola
National Public Health Institute, Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 102:1005-12. 1998Patients allergic to natural rubber latex (NRL) frequently exhibit immediate hypersensitivity reactions to banana, but the molecular basis of these putative cross-reactions is unknown.
- Purification and characterization of a 34-kDa, heat stable glycoprotein from Synadenium grantii latex: action on human fibrinogen and fibrin clotR Rajesh
Department of Studies in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore 570006, India
Biochimie 88:1313-22. 2006b>Latex glycoprotein (LGP) from Synadenium grantii latex was purified by the combination of heat precipitation and gel permeation chromatography...
- Characterization of cross-reactive bell pepper allergens involved in the latex-fruit syndromeS Wagner
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Exp Allergy 34:1739-46. 2004BACKGROUND: Between 30% and 50% of individuals who are allergic to latex products are also allergic to specific plant foods, a fact that is well documented as the latex-fruit syndrome...
- Latex immunoturbidimetric assay for soluble fibrin complexAkiei Hamano
Central Research Laboratory of Nissui Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Ibaraki 307-0036, Japan
Clin Chem 51:183-8. 2005..that specifically reacts with SFC, with desAA-fibrin as the immunogen, and developed a rapid and sensitive latex immunoturbidimetric assay (LIA) using latex-immobilized anti-SFC monoclonal antibody...
- Exposure to airborne methacrylates and natural rubber latex allergens in dental clinicsM L Henriks-Eckerman
Turku Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Turku, Finland
J Environ Monit 3:302-5. 2001The exposure of dental personnel to airborne methacrylates and natural rubber latex (NRL) allergens was studied during placing of composite resin restorations in six dental clinics in Finland...
- Wound healing properties of Carica papaya latex: in vivo evaluation in mice burn modelShila Gurung
The School of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Pokhara University, P O Box 427, Dhungepatan, Lekhnath, Nepal
J Ethnopharmacol 121:338-41. 2009..Carica papaya is traditionally used to treat various skin disorders, including wounds. It is widely used in developing countries as an effective and readily available treatment of various wounds, particularly burns...
- Orthodontic latex elastics: a force relaxation studyChristiana Gioka
Department of Biomaterials, School of Dentistry, University of Athens, 2 Thivon Street Goudi, Athens, GR 11527, Greece
Angle Orthod 76:475-9. 2006The objectives of this study were to assess the force relaxation of latex elastics occurring within 24 hours of extension and to estimate the extension required to reach the reported force...
- Latex-induced occupational asthma: time trend in incidence and relationship with hospital glove policiesO Vandenplas
Fonds voor de Beroepsziekten Fonds des Maladies Professionnelles, Brussels, Belgium
Allergy 64:415-20. 2009Natural rubber latex (NRL) has become as a major cause of occupational asthma (OA) in workers using NRL gloves...
- Isolation of stress-related genes of rubber particles and latex in fig tree (Ficus carica) and their expressions by abiotic stress or plant hormone treatmentsJin Sun Kim
Division of Applied Plant Science, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, 500-757 Korea
Plant Cell Physiol 44:412-4. 2003Two rubber particle protein genes and one latex gene in fig tree (Ficus carica) have been isolated and their expression following various abiotic stress treatments have been investigated...
- Mulberry latex rich in antidiabetic sugar-mimic alkaloids forces dieting on caterpillarsKotaro Konno
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1337-41. 2006..mori, because of the ingredients of the latex, a milky sap exuded from mulberry leaf veins...
- A stable serine protease, wrightin, from the latex of the plant Wrightia tinctoria (Roxb.) R. Br.: purification and biochemical propertiesRitu Tomar
Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Agric Food Chem 56:1479-87. 2008Today proteases have become an integral part of the food and feed industry, and plant latex could be a potential source of novel proteases with unique substrate specificities and biochemical properties...
- Differential effects of sugar-mimic alkaloids in mulberry latex on sugar metabolism and disaccharidases of Eri and domesticated silkworms: enzymatic adaptation of Bombyx mori to mulberry defenseChikara Hirayama
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Insect Biochem Mol Biol 37:1348-58. 2007Mulberry leaves (Morus spp.) exude latex rich in sugar-mimic alkaloids, 1,4-dideoxy-1,4-imino-d-arabinitol (d-AB1) and 1-deoxynojirimycin (DNJ), as a defense against herbivorous insects...
- Calotropis procera latex-induced inflammatory hyperalgesia--effect of antiinflammatory drugsRaman Sehgal
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Mediators Inflamm 2005:216-20. 2005The milky white latex of plant Calotropis procera produces inflammation of the skin and mucous membranes on accidental exposure...
- Effect of siliconized latex urinary catheters on the activity of carbapenems against Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains with defined mutations in ampC, oprD, and genes coding for efflux systemsM Carmen Conejo
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Apdo 914, Seville 41080, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 22:122-7. 2003The decreased activity of carbapenems against Pseudomonas aeruginosa in the presence of eluates from siliconized latex urinary catheters is related to the loss of OprD and the expression of a new outer membrane protein (OMP)...
- Preliminary studies of Mammea americana L. (Guttiferae) bark/latex extract point to an effective antiulcer effect on gastric ulcer models in miceW Toma
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Phytomedicine 12:345-50. 2005..These results suggest that the antiulcerogenic compound(s) present in M. americana may be clustered in the apolar fraction, which will be investigated by our group for the probable mechanisms of action...
- Anaphylaxis by latex sublingual immunotherapyA Antico
Azienda Ospedaliera C. Poma-MN SC di Medicina Interna ed Allergologia Ospedale Civile Asola, 46071 MN, Italy
Allergy 61:1236-7. 2006
- Histamine mediates the pro-inflammatory effect of latex of Calotropis procera in ratsYatin M Shivkar
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
Mediators Inflamm 12:299-302. 2003INTRODUCTiON: Calotropis procera is known to produce contact dermatitis and the latex of this plant produces intense inflammation when injected locally. However, the precise mode of its pro-inflammatory effect is not known...
- A convenient and efficient protocol for isolating high-quality RNA from latex of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Chaorong Tang
Key Lab of Ministry of Agriculture for Tropical Crops Physiology, Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
J Biochem Biophys Methods 70:749-54. 2007Isolating high-quality RNA from latex of H. brasiliensis is a prerequisite to elucidating the molecular mechanisms of rubber biosynthesis and its regulation...
- Identification of expression profiles of tapping panel dryness (TPD) associated genes from the latex of rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis Muell. Arg.)Perumal Venkatachalam
Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Planta 226:499-515. 2007Tapping panel dryness (TPD) occurrence in high latex yielding rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis) is characterized by the partial or complete cessation of latex flow upon tapping leading to severe loss in natural rubber production around ..
- Purification and characterization of the cysteine proteinases in the latex of Vasconcellea sppTina Kyndt
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Belgium
FEBS J 274:451-62. 2007b>Latex of all Vasconcellea species analyzed to date exhibits higher proteolytic amidase activities, generally attributed to cysteine proteinases, than the latex of Carica papaya...
- Establishment of new crops for the production of natural rubberJan B van Beilen
Département de Biologie Moléculaire Végétale, Biophore, Universite de Lausanne, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Trends Biotechnol 25:522-9. 2007..This review summarizes our knowledge of plants that can serve as alternative sources of natural rubber, of rubber biosynthesis and the scientific gaps that must be filled to bring the alternative crops into production...
- Disposable microscope objective lenses for fluorescence correlation spectroscopy using latex microspheresJerome Wenger
Institut Fresnel, Aix Marseille Universite, CNRS, 13397 Marseille, France
Anal Chem 80:6800-4. 2008We explore the combination of a latex microsphere with a low NA lens to form a high performance optical system, and enable the detection of single molecules by fluorescence correlation spectroscopy (FCS)...
- Mapping of IgE-binding epitopes on the major latex allergen Hev b 2 and the cross-reacting 1,3beta-glucanase fruit allergens as a molecular basis for the latex-fruit syndromeAnnick Barre
Surfaces Cellulaires et Signalisation chez les Végétaux, UMR Université Paul Sabatier CNRS 5546, 24 Chemin de Borde Rouge, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Mol Immunol 46:1595-604. 2009Nine distinct IgE-binding epitopes were identified along the entire amino acid sequence of the major latex allergen Hev b 2 (1,3beta-glucanase) using a set of synthetic 15-mer peptides frameshifted by 3 residues immobilized on cellulose ..
- A silver-staining cDNA-AFLP protocol suitable for transcript profiling in the latex of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Xiaohu Xiao
Key Lab of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture, Danzhou, Hainan, 571737, China
Mol Biotechnol 42:91-9. 2009..Furthermore, the usage of radioactive isotope in typical protocols excludes their application in many labs. Latex, as the cytoplasm of rubber-producing cells sees a critical role in elucidating rubber biosynthesis and its ..
- Allergenic proteins of natural rubber latexH Y Yeang
Biotechnology and Strategic Research Unit, Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, Malaysian Rubber Board, P O Box 10150, 50908 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Methods 27:32-45. 2002As the living cytoplasm of laticiferous cells, Hevea brasiliensis latex is a rich blend of organic substances that include a mélange of proteins. A small number of these proteins have given rise to the problem of latex allergy...
- A unique latex protein, MLX56, defends mulberry trees from insectsNaoya Wasano
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Phytochemistry 70:880-8. 2009..Recently, we found that mulberry leaves defend against insect herbivory by latex ingredients...
- Size effects of latex nanomaterials on lung inflammation in miceKen ichiro Inoue
Environmental Health Sciences Division, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 234:68-76. 2009..This study examined the effects of pulmonary exposure to (latex) nanomaterials on lung inflammation related to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or allergen in mice, especially in terms ..
- Polyphenoloxidase silencing affects latex coagulation in Taraxacum speciesDaniela Wahler
Westphalian Wilhelms University of Munster, Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology of Plants, 48143 Muenster, Germany
Plant Physiol 151:334-46. 2009b>Latex is the milky sap that is found in many different plants...
- Two polyisoprenylated benzophenones from the trunk latex of Clusia grandiflora (Clusiaceae)J Lokvam
Department of Biology and Wildlife, University of Alaska Fairbanks, 99775, USA
Phytochemistry 55:29-34. 2000The polyisoprenylated benzophenones, chamones I and II, were isolated from the trunk latex of Clusia grandiflora (Clusiaceae) growing in southeastern Venezuela...
- Occupational asthma caused by natural rubber latex: outcome according to cessation or reduction of exposureOlivier Vandenplas
, Cliniques Universitaires de Mont-Godinne, , Yvoir, Belgium
J Allergy Clin Immunol 109:125-30. 2002BACKGROUND: The long-term effects of reducing exposure to latex in subjects with latex-induced asthma remain unknown...
- Incidence of sensitization, symptoms, and probable occupational rhinoconjunctivitis and asthma in apprentices starting exposure to latexS Archambault
Department of Chest Medicine, , Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Allergy Clin Immunol 107:921-3. 2001b>Latex is a well-known sensitizer. Prospective studies in apprentices beginning to be exposed to latex have not been carried out...
- Primary prevention of natural rubber latex allergy in the German health care system through education and interventionHenning Allmers
Department of Dermatology, Environmental Medicine and Health Sciences, , Sedanstrasse 115, , Germany
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:318-23. 2002BACKGROUND: The development of occupational asthma and allergic skin reactions caused by natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy are risks for health care workers...
- Development of broad-spectrum antimicrobial latex paint surfaces employing active amphiphilic compoundsPreston A Fulmer
Chemistry Division, Code 6100, Naval Research Laboratory, 4555 Overlook Avenue, SW, Washington, D C 20375, United States
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 3:2878-84. 2011..Additionally, these additives were compatible with water-dispersed acrylate coatings (latex paint) which have a broad range of real world applicability, and remained active for multiple challenges and when ..
- Characterization of polypeptides accumulated in the latex cytosol of rubber trees affected by the tapping panel dryness syndromeUnchera Sookmark
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Rama VI Road, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1323-33. 2002..tapping panel dryness (TPD) syndrome of rubber is characterized by the reduction or ultimately total cessation of latex flow upon tapping, due to physiological disorders in the bark tissue...
- Got milk? The secret life of laticifersJillian M Hagel
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
Trends Plant Sci 13:631-9. 2008..The classification of laticifers is based on developmental patterns and overall morphology. The cytoplasmic latex exuded in response to damage often includes specialized metabolites, such as cardenolides, alkaloids and natural ..
- Hev b 8, the Hevea brasiliensis latex profilin, is a cross-reactive allergen of latex, plant foods and pollenE Ganglberger
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 125:216-27. 2001..Limited information is available about their involvement in the latex-fruit syndrome and the cross-reactivities between latex and pollen...
- Identification of a Hevea brasiliensis latex manganese superoxide dismutase (Hev b 10) as a cross-reactive allergenS Wagner
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 125:120-7. 2001BACKGROUND: Cross-reactive allergens play an increasingly important role in latex allergy in complicating both the diagnosis and time course of allergic symptoms...
- Latex aeroallergen concentrations in ambulancesSantiago Quirce
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:978-9. 2004
- Flow cytometric basophil activation test: detection of CD63 expression as a useful aid to diagnosis of latex allergyEustachio Nettis
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 97:715-6. 2006
- Hev b 5 and Hev b 13 as allergen markers to estimate the allergenic potency of latex glovesHoong Yeet Yeang
Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, 50908 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Allergy Clin Immunol 114:593-8. 2004Sensitization to natural rubber latex has been linked to proteins from medical latex gloves...
- A latex-induced allergic airway inflammation model in miceParvaneh Farzaneh
Immunology Department, School of Medical Sciences, Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran, Iran
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 99:405-11. 2006b>Latex allergy is important due to serious health impacts and widespread use of its products. Latex allergic reactions can be induced in skin and mucosal surfaces including the respiratory tract...
- Latex allergy and skinTimo Reunala
Department of Dermatology, University and University Hospital of Tampere, Tampere, Finland
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 4:397-401. 2004In this review we address the prevalence and outcome of latex allergy in health care workers (HCWs). Recent findings in natural rubber latex (NRL) allergens and trials of specific immunotherapy (SIT) are also of interest.
- The en 455-3 modified lowry assay does not yield a reliable estimate of the allergenicity level of latex gloves with low total protein contentCarine Audo
Laboratoire Universitaire de Recherche en Immuno-Allergologie (LURIA, Centre d'Allergologie, , Paris, France
Med Sci Monit 10:PI81-6. 2004BACKGROUND: Estimation of the allergenicity of latex gloves by measurement of total extractable protein content with the modified Lowry method is not satisfactory...
- Natural rubber latex and hymenoptera venoms share ImmunoglobinE-epitopes accounting for cross-reactive carbohydrate determinantsV Mahler
Department of Dermatology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Clin Exp Allergy 36:1446-56. 2006BACKGROUND: Epidemiological data on the prevalence and risk factors of latex sensitization have suggested a significant association between latex sensitization and the presence of one or more positive skin prick test responses to ..
- A study of natural rubber latex allergens in gloves used by healthcare workers in SingaporeD Koh
Department of Community, Occupational and Family Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Br J Dermatol 153:954-9. 2005BACKGROUND: Allergy to natural rubber latex (NRL) proteins is a well-recognized health problem among subjects using protective gloves and products made of NRL...
- Identification of hevamine and hev B 1 as major latex allergens in TaiwanMey-Fann Lee
Department of Education and Research, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, ROC
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 139:38-44. 2006BACKGROUND: Proteins from latex gloves have been documented to trigger occupational latex allergy among health care workers. Allergen characterization of latex glove extract has never been studied in Taiwan...
- Molecular cloning and immunoglobulin E reactivity of a natural rubber latex lecithinase homologue, the major allergenic component of Hev b 4E Sunderasan
Biotechnology and Strategic Research Unit, Malaysian Rubber Board, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Clin Exp Allergy 35:1490-5. 2005Hev b 4 is an allergenic natural rubber latex (NRL) protein complex that is reactive in skin prick tests and in vitro immunoassays...
- Allergic contact dermatitis from natural rubber latex in atopic dermatitis and the risk of later Type I allergyG Guillet
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, Centre Hospitalo-Universitaire de Poitiers, Poitiers, France
Contact Dermatitis 53:46-51. 2005..whether contact dermatitis in children could be due to a delayed hypersensitivity reaction to natural rubber latex (NRL) and to define risk factors for later occurrence of Type I hypersensitivity to this allergen...
- Cutaneous, but not airway, latex exposure induces allergic lung inflammation and airway hyperreactivity in miceMaili Lehto
Department of Industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Invest Dermatol 125:962-8. 2005As respiratory symptoms are common in addition to skin reactions in natural rubber latex allergy, we investigated the significance of different allergen exposure routes in the development of lung inflammation and airway hyperreactivity (..
- [Latex allergy, contact urticaria, anaphylaxis, latex-fruit syndrome, powder-free gloves]Akiko Yagami
Department of Dermatology, Fujita Health University School of Medicine
Nippon Rinsho 63:173-8. 2005
- Recent developments in latex allergyKristiina Turjanmaa
Department of Dermatology, University of Tampere and University Hospital of Tampere, Helsinki, Finland
Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol 2:407-12. 2002PURPOSE OF REVIEW: Immediate allergic reactions to natural rubber latex continue to be an important medical and occupational health problem...
- Latex-vegetable syndrome due to custard apple and aubergine: new variations of the hevein symphonyP M Gamboa
, Hospital de Basurto, Bilbao, Spain
J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 15:308-11. 2005An increasing number of vegetables with crossreactions to latex are being described in patients with latex-vegetable syndrome...
- Apparent sensitization to latex through swim capsJohn M Kelso
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:524-5. 2006
- Latex allergy: a challenge for anaesthetistsJ Demaegd
University Hospital, Dept of Anaesthesia, De Pintelaan 185, B-9000 Ghent
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 57:127-35. 2006First reported in 1979, anaesthetists now encounter more and more patients with latex allergy. Several risk groups prone to develop this allergy have been identified...
- Investigative methods for natural rubber latex allergy in the UKJ G Lowe
Department of Dermatology, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, Dundee DD1 9SY, UK
Contact Dermatitis 52:11-3. 2005Allergy to natural rubber latex (NRL) has become an important health issue in recent years, but little is known about how this condition is investigated by physicians in the UK...
- Differential expression of allergens on the internal and external surfaces of latex surgical glovesC Peixinho
Health Sciences Research Centre, University of Beira Interior, Covilh, Portugal
Allergol Immunopathol (Madr) 34:206-11. 2006BACKGROUND: Differences in latex allergen sensitization profiles have been described between children undergoing repeated surgical interventions and health care workers...
- Correlation between former and new assays of latex IgE-specific determination using the K82 and K82 recombinant allergens from the Pharmacia Diagnostics laboratoryM-L Hemery
Allergy 60:131-2. 2005
- Generation of allergen-enriched protein fractions of Hevea brasiliensis latex for in vitro and in vivo diagnosisS Wagner
Department of Pathophysiology, Center for Physiology and Pathophysiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 143:246-54. 2007The latex of Hevea brasiliensis trees contains a complex proteome that includes a range of allergenic proteins. Current latex extracts that are used for the diagnosis of latex allergy still lack important allergens...
- Characterization of B- and T-cell responses and HLA-DR4 binding motifs of the latex allergen Hev b 6.01 (prohevein) and its post-transcriptionally formed proteins Hev b 6.02 and Hev b 6.03M Raulf-Heimsoth
Research Institute for Occupational Medicine of the Berufsgenossenschaften (BGFA, Institute of the Ruhr-University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Allergy 59:724-33. 2004BACKGROUND: Multiple immunoglobulin E (IgE)-binding proteins in natural rubber latex extracts have been identified. In the case of Hev b 6 a differentiation was made between the precursor protein prohevein (Hev b 6...
- Assessment of profilin as an allergen for latex-sensitized patientsA Nieto
Hospital Infantil La Fe, Valencia, Spain
Allergy 57:776-84. 2002BACKGROUND: The presence of the actin-binding protein, profilin, has been demonstrated in natural latex extracts; but the clinical significance of this molecule as an allergen for latex-allergic patients is not clear...
- Clinical and laboratory-based methods in the diagnosis of natural rubber latex allergyRobert G Hamilton
Division of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S47-56. 2002The accurate diagnosis of hypersensitivity to natural rubber latex is the initial step in the effective management of individuals with latex allergy and in ensuring the quality of epidemiologic studies...
- Molecular cloning, purification, and IgE-binding of a recombinant class I chitinase from Hevea brasiliensis leaves (rHev b 11.0102)H-P Rihs
Research Institute for Occupational Medicine of the Berufsgenossenschaften (BGFA, Institute of the Ruhr-University, Bochum, Germany
Allergy 58:246-51. 2003BACKGROUND: Class I chitinase in natural rubber latex (NRL) has been assumed to be an important allergen, especially concerning its cross-reactivity with fruits like avocado and banana...
- Allergic and latex-specific sensitization: route, frequency, and amount of exposure that are required to initiate IgE productionDavid N Weissman
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Health Effects Laboratory Division, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S57-63. 2002..With regard to natural rubber latex, exposure-related factors such as number of operations have been shown to be risk factors for sensitization of ..
- Allergen specific nasal challenge to latex in children with latex allergy: clinical and immunological evaluationR Bernardini
Pediatric Allergy and Pulmonology Center, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florence, Anna Meyer Children s Hospital, Via Luca Giordano 13, Florence, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 21:333-41. 2008There are no data concerning the significance of allergen specific nasal challenge to latex (ASNCL) in the pediatric population and the effect of mometasone furoate nasal spray (MFNS), topic corticosteroid exerting a potent anti-..
- Management of occupational allergy to natural rubber latex in a medical center: the importance of quantitative latex allergen measurement and objective follow-upLoren W Hunt
Allergic Diseases Research Laboratory and the Departments of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S96-106. 2002..or undetectable allergen content greatly reduced the concentration of allergen in the work site, reduced the number of new cases of occupational allergy to rubber, and allowed individuals with latex allergy to work at their usual jobs.
- Characterization of a mouse model of allergy to a major occupational latex glove allergen Hev b 5Charles L Hardy
Cooperative Research Centre for Asthma, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Monash Medical School, Commercial Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004, Australia
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:1393-9. 2003..effective treatment for many allergic diseases, including asthma; however, it is not currently available for latex allergy because of the high risk of anaphylaxis...
- Prevalence of type I allergy to natural rubber latex and type IV allergy to latex and rubber additives in operating room staff with glove-related symptomsSara Miri
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98104, USA
Allergy Asthma Proc 28:557-63. 2007There is lack of data on the prevalence of latex allergy in the health care setting in Iran...
- Allergic reactions to natural rubber latex at home, to rubber products, and to cross-reacting foodsJohn J Condemi
Allergy Asthma Immunology of Rochester, NY 14618, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S107-10. 2002The prevalence of clinical sensitivity to natural rubber latex (NRL) has increased dramatically in the last 15 years. In the health care setting this has been associated with the increased use of latex gloves...
- Latex allergy risk assessment in children and adolescents with type I diabetes mellitusI Bostancý
Department of Pediatric Allergy and Asthma, Ministry of Health, Ankara Training and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 18:687-91. 2007An increased frequency of allergic reactions to latex has been reported in specific populations with chronic latex exposure...
- Latex allergy: the perspective from the surgical suiteBeth A Elliott
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S117-20. 2002b>Latex allergy in the perioperative setting presents unique challenges to the health care system...
- Improving latex-allergy diagnosis: the clinical role of Hev b8-specific IgEL Antonicelli
Allergy Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Immuno-Allergic and Respiratory Diseases, Ospedali Riuniti di Ancona, Ancona, Italy
Allergy 63:620-1. 2008
- Itching and rashes on contact with latex among patients attending community contraceptive clinicsElspeth Hamilton
Gwent Healthcare National Health Service Trust, Department of Community Gynaecology and Sexual Health, Cwmbran, UK
J Fam Plann Reprod Health Care 34:129-30. 2008
- The prevalence of latex sensitisation and allergy in Danish atopic children. Evaluation of diagnostic methodsVagn Braendholt Jensen
Department of Paediatrics, Gentofte University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Dan Med Bull 49:260-2. 2002..All over the world natural rubber allergy is reported to be responsible for a wide spectrum of allergic symptoms ranging from mild rhinitis to severe anaphylaxis...
- Latex sensitization by dermal exposure can lead to airway hyperreactivityMichael D Howell
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV, USA
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 128:204-11. 2002BACKGROUND: Using non-powdered, low-protein natural rubber latex (NRL) gloves has been shown to reduce the elicitation of respiratory symptoms in latex-allergic individuals; however, the role of dermal exposure in the induction of ..
- Selecting medical gloves in an era of latex protein allergyEsah Yip
Alpha Omegan 96:37-40. 2003
- Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antispore paintsYUYU contact SUN; Fiscal Year: 2010..tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl acrylate (Cl-TMPA), will be polymerized to produce polymeric N-halamine latex emulsions...
- Keratinocyte Costimulation and Th2-Cell Immune DeviationAnthony Gaspari; Fiscal Year: 2006..is highly relevant to the understanding of development of type I allergic responses to haptens, natural rubber latex (NRL)-containing medical devices, and atopic diseases in general...
- Keratinocyte Costimulation and Th2-Cell Immune DeviationAnthony Gaspari; Fiscal Year: 2009..is highly relevant to the understanding of development of type I allergic responses to haptens, natural rubber latex (NRL)-containing medical devices, and atopic diseases in general...
- Novel Topical Treatment of EczemaBakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..on the skin and deter hand washing, and also provide a route for skin sensitization to natural rubber latex proteins...
- The Roles of Conserved outer-membrane proteins in SFG rickettsia pathogenesisJuan J Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2010..coli, purified proteins and protein coupled latex beads...
- Rapid Test for Monitoring Dust Mite Avoidance in HomesMartin Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Lateral flow technology will enable tests for food and latex allergens to be developed, as well as a new generation of rapid allergen diagnostic tests using genetically ..
- ENGINEERING INTEGRIN--MEDIATED CELL MIGRATIONDouglas Lauffenburger; Fiscal Year: 2002..An optical trap assay that employs integrin antibodies (anti-aIIbb3 or anti-a5) chemically conjugated to latex beads will be used to measure the front-vs-rear asymmetry in integrin/cytoskeleton linkage in CHO cells with ..
- IMMUNOPROBES FOR LUBRICIN FROM HUMAN SYNOVIAL FLUIDGregory Jay; Fiscal Year: 2003..An arthrotripsometer composed of latex oscillating against glass employed by the PI reproduced critical findings of previous studies using cartilage ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH M TUBERCULOSISLee Riley; Fiscal Year: 2002..tuberculosis that promoted uptake of latex microspheres coated with the protein into nonphagocytic cells...
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF CMI IN TYPE I DIABETESJohn Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2000..This assay may be modified by use of latex beads to immobilize antigen and enhance the sensitivity of the proliferative response...
- IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR LATEX RUBBER ALLERGYN Adkinson; Fiscal Year: 2001..of the rubber tree has become a major occupational hazard of health care workers and some patients with frequent latex rubber exposures. Between 2.2 and 10...
- A validated asthma questionnaire for healthcare workersGeorge Delclos; Fiscal Year: 2003..exposures risk factors (RAST IgE-specific antibody panel against common environmental aeroallergens and latex)...