Genomes and Genes
Summary: A milky, product excreted from the latex canals of a variety of plant species that contain cauotchouc. Latex is composed of 25-35% caoutchouc, 60-75% water, 2% protein, 2% resin, 1.5% sugar & 1% ash. RUBBER is made by the removal of water from latex.(From Concise Encyclopedia Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 3rd ed) However, the term latex has been broadened in scope to include RUBBER and other synthetic polymers. Latexes are used as inert vehicles to carry antibodies or antigens in LATEX FIXATION TESTS.
Publications255 found, 100 shown here
- Induction of mucosal tolerance with recombinant Hev b 1 and recombinant Hev b 3 for prevention of latex allergy in BALB/c miceK Hufnagl
Department of Pathophysiology, University of Vienna, Austria
Clin Exp Immunol 133:170-6. 2003The prevalence of type I allergy to Hevea brasiliensis latex is particularly high among individuals with frequent exposure to latex products, such as health-care workers (HCW) and patients with spina bifida (SB)...
- Plant defense syndromesAnurag A Agrawal
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology and Department of Entomology, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Ecology 87:S132-49. 2006..seven defensive traits, no bivariate trade-offs, and notable positive correlations between trichome density and latex production, and between C:N ratio and leaf toughness...
- Insights into rubber biosynthesis from transcriptome analysis of Hevea brasiliensis latexKeng See Chow
Biotechnology Unit, Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, Malaysian Rubber Board, RRIM Experiment Station, 47000 Sungai Buloh, Selangor, Malaysia
J Exp Bot 58:2429-40. 2007..In this study, 10,040 expressed sequence tags (ESTs) were generated from the latex of the rubber tree, which represents the cytoplasmic content of a single cell type, in order to analyse the latex ..
- The sucrose transporter HbSUT3 plays an active role in sucrose loading to laticifer and rubber productivity in exploited trees of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Chaorong Tang
Key Lab of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture and Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, College of Agronomy, Hainan University, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
Plant Cell Environ 33:1708-20. 2010..other Hevea SUT genes, HbSUT3 was found to be the predominant member expressed in the rubber-containing cytoplasm (latex) of laticifers...
- Plant latex and other exudates as plant defense systems: roles of various defense chemicals and proteins contained thereinKotaro Konno
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Phytochemistry 72:1510-30. 2011Plant latex and other exudates are saps that are exuded from the points of plant damage caused either mechanically or by insect herbivory. Although many (ca...
- Characterization of proteins in latex of the opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) using two-dimensional gel electrophoresis and microsequencingG Decker
Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry, Analytical Protein Chemistry Group, Martinsried, Germany
Electrophoresis 21:3500-16. 2000The opium poppy (Papaver somniferum) belongs to the group of latex-containing plants. Latex is the milky-like fluid within laticifer cells...
- Differential expression pattern of rubber elongation factor (REF) mRNA transcripts from high and low yielding clones of rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis Muell. Arg.)P Priya
Biotechnology Division, Rubber Research Institute of India, Kottayam 686009, India
Plant Cell Rep 26:1833-8. 2007..Since the immaturity period for Hevea is 6 years, identification of molecular marker for latex yield potential will be beneficial for early selection of high yielding clones...
- Involvement of HbPIP2;1 and HbTIP1;1 aquaporins in ethylene stimulation of latex yield through regulation of water exchanges between inner liber and latex cells in Hevea brasiliensisKessarin Tungngoen
Department of Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
Plant Physiol 151:843-56. 2009..Upon bark tapping, the laticifer cytoplasm (latex) is expelled due to liber tissue turgor pressure...
- Increased vascular permeability, angiogenesis and wound healing induced by the serum of natural latex of the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensisRicardo José Mendonça
Department of Biochemistry and Immunology, Ribeirao Preto School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto SP, Brazil
Phytother Res 24:764-8. 2010..It has been suggested that the natural latex from Hevea brasiliensis showed wound healing properties and angiogenic activity...
- Identification of a putative triacylglycerol lipase from papaya latex by functional proteomicsR Dhouib
CNRS, Aix Marseille Universite, Enzymologie Interfaciale et Physiologie de la Lipolyse, France
FEBS J 278:97-110. 2011b>Latex from Caricaceae has been known since 1925 to contain strong lipase activity. However, attempts to purify and identify the enzyme were not successful, mainly because of the lack of solubility of the enzyme...
- Identification and characterization of genes associated with tapping panel dryness from Hevea brasiliensis latex using suppression subtractive hybridizationDejun Li
Key Laboratory of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture, Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
BMC Plant Biol 10:140. 2010..The present study is undertaken to generate information about the genes related to TPD in rubber tree...
- Zinc eluted from siliconized latex urinary catheters decreases OprD expression, causing carbapenem resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosaM Carmen Conejo
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2313-5. 2003The activities of carbapenems against Pseudomonas aeruginosa decreased in the presence of siliconized latex urinary catheters (SLUCs). This effect was associated with the loss of OprD...
- Resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa to imipenem induced by eluates from siliconized latex urinary catheters is related to outer membrane protein alterationsL Martinez-Martinez
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, University of Seville, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:397-9. 1999..against Pseudomonas aeruginosa HUS-3 decreased by 16 times in the presence of substances eluted from siliconized latex urinary catheters (SLUCs). SLUCs did not inactivate imipenem or increase beta-lactamase activity...
- Sucrose importation into laticifers of Hevea brasiliensis, in relation to ethylene stimulation of latex productionAnaïs Dusotoit-Coucaud
UMR 547 PIAF, INRA, Universite Blaise Pascal, 24 avenue des Landais, 63177 Aubiere Cedex, France
Ann Bot 104:635-47. 2009The major economic product of Hevea brasiliensis is a rubber-containing cytoplasm (latex), which flows out of laticifers (latex cells) when the bark is tapped. The latex yield is stimulated by ethylene...
- Activation of the Epstein-Barr virus lytic cycle by the latex of the plant Euphorbia tirucalliA MacNeil
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Br J Cancer 88:1566-9. 2003..The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of unpurified E. tirucalli latex on Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) gene expression...
- Biocompatibility of natural latex implanted into dental alveolus of ratsCláudia A C A Balabanian
Department of Morphology, Stomatology and Physiology, School of Dentistry, University of Sao Paulo USP, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
J Oral Sci 48:201-5. 2006The present study investigated the biocompatibility of a biopolymer based on vegetable latex extracted from the Hevea brasiliensis rubber tree, implanted into the bony alveolar cavity after dental extraction in rats...
- Ethylene stimulation of latex yield depends on the expression of a sucrose transporter (HbSUT1B) in rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis)Anaïs Dusotoit-Coucaud
Clermont Universite, Universite Blaise Pascal, UMRA 547 PIAF, F 63177 Aubiere, France
Tree Physiol 30:1586-98. 2010Hevea brasiliensis is an important industrial crop for natural rubber production. Latex biosynthesis occurs in the cytoplasm of highly specialized latex cells and requires sucrose as the unique precursor...
- Proteins from latex of Calotropis procera prevent septic shock due to lethal infection by Salmonella enterica serovar TyphimuriumJosé V Lima-Filho
Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal Rural de Pernambuco, Campus Dois Irmãos, Recife, PE, Brazil
J Ethnopharmacol 129:327-34. 2010The latex of Calotropis procera has been used in traditional medicine to treat different inflammatory diseases. The anti-inflammatory activity of latex proteins (LP) has been well documented using different inflammatory models...
- An experimental investigation of the stability of ethylcellulose latex: correlation between zeta potential and sedimentationV Gallardo
Department of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, School of Pharmacy, University of Granada, 18071 Granada, Spain
Eur J Pharm Sci 26:170-5. 2005..at explaining the experimental observations of the stability and redispersibility of an aqueous ethylcellulose latex through the electrokinetic characterization of the particles...
- Latex allergy: a model for therapyJ M Rolland
Department of Immunology, Monash University, Melbourne, Vic, Australia
Clin Exp Allergy 38:898-912. 2008Allergy to natural rubber latex products emerged as an important clinical condition following an increase in the use of latex gloves for barrier protection in the early 1980s...
- Lipid transfer protein from Hevea brasiliensis (Hev b 12), a cross-reactive latex proteinDonald H Beezhold
Guthrie Research Institute, Sayre, Pennsylvania 18840, USA
Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 90:439-45. 2003b>Latex-allergic individuals experience clinical cross-reactivity to a large number of fruits and vegetables...
- Latex-allergic patients sensitized to the major allergen hevein and hevein-like domains of class I chitinases show no increased frequency of latex-associated plant food allergyChristian Radauer
Department of Pathophysiology and Allergy Research, Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, 1090 Vienna, Austria
Mol Immunol 48:600-9. 2011Allergies to certain fruits such as banana, avocado, chestnut and kiwi are described in 30-70% of latex-allergic patients...
- Molecular identification and characterization of a gene associated with the onset of tapping panel dryness (TPD) syndrome in rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis Muell.) by mRNA differential displayPerumal Venkatachalam
Plant Molecular Biology Lab, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907, USA
Mol Biotechnol 41:42-52. 2009..tapping panel dryness (TPD) syndrome is considered as a complex physiological disorder which affects latex biosynthesis...
- Polyphenoloxidase silencing affects latex coagulation in Taraxacum speciesDaniela Wahler
Westphalian Wilhelms University of Munster, Institute of Biochemistry and Biotechnology of Plants, 48143 Muenster, Germany
Plant Physiol 151:334-46. 2009b>Latex is the milky sap that is found in many different plants...
- A silver-staining cDNA-AFLP protocol suitable for transcript profiling in the latex of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Xiaohu Xiao
Key Lab of Rubber Biology, Ministry of Agriculture, Danzhou, Hainan, 571737, China
Mol Biotechnol 42:91-9. 2009..Furthermore, the usage of radioactive isotope in typical protocols excludes their application in many labs. Latex, as the cytoplasm of rubber-producing cells sees a critical role in elucidating rubber biosynthesis and its ..
- Latex use as an occlusive membrane for guided bone regenerationCibele Ereno
Programa de Pós Graduação em Biologia Oral, Universidade do Sagrado Coração, PRPPG, Bauru, Sao Paulo, Brazil
J Biomed Mater Res A 95:932-9. 2010b>Latex extracted from Hevea brasiliensis was used as an occlusive membrane for guided bone regeneration. Twenty-four rabbits were divided in two groups: treated and control group...
- Latex constituents from Calotropis procera (R. Br.) display toxicity upon egg hatching and larvae of Aedes aegypti (Linn.)Márcio Viana Ramos
Departamento de Bioquimica e Biologia Molecular, Universidade Federal do Ceara, Campus do Pici, 60451 970 Fortaleza, CE, Brasil
Mem Inst Oswaldo Cruz 101:503-10. 2006..This work deals with the fractionation of the crude latex produced by the green parts of the plant and aims to evaluate its toxic effects upon egg hatching and larval ..
- Anti-asthmatic potential of a D-galactose-binding lectin from Synadenium carinatum latexAlexandre P Rogerio
Centro de Ciencias Biologicas, Campus Universitario Trindade, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC 88049 900, Brazil
Glycobiology 17:795-804. 2007Extracts from the plant Synadenium carinatum latex are widely and indiscriminately used in popular medicine to treat a great number of inflammatory disorders and although the mechanisms underlying these effects remain undefined, the ..
- Two new cytotoxic cardenolides from the latex of Antiaris toxicariaHao Fu Dai
Institute of Tropical Bioscience and Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Haikou, China
J Asian Nat Prod Res 11:832-7. 2009Two new cardenolides, toxicarioside F (1) and toxicarioside G (2), were isolated from the latex of Antiaris toxicaria (Pers.) Lesch (Moraceae). Their structures were elucidated on the basis of spectral data and chemical evidence...
- Visualizing a plant defense and insect counterploy: alkaloid distribution in Lobelia leaves trenched by a plusiine caterpillarCraig B Oppel
Department of Biology, University of Central Arkansas, Conway, Arkansas 72035, USA
J Chem Ecol 35:625-34. 2009Insects that feed on plants protected by latex canals often sever leaf veins or cut trenches across leaves before feeding distal to the cuts...
- Development of a rapid dipstick with latex immunochromatographic assay (DLIA) for diagnosis of schistosomiasis japonicaLi Ling Yu
Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Zhejiang Academy of Medical Sciences, Hangzhou, 310013, China
Parasit Vectors 4:157. 2011..In this study, we developed a novel rapid dipstick with latex immunochromatographic assay (DLIA) to detect anti-Schisaosoma japonicum antibodies in human serum.
- Role of lipid rafts in innate immunity and phagocytosis of polystyrene latex microspheresGoshi Nagao
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, 2641 Yamazaki, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 84:317-24. 2011..Macrophage phagocytosis of polystyrene latex microspheres was examined and assayed by treatment of macrophages with the cholesterol depletor methyl-β-..
- Purification and characterization of a wound-inducible thaumatin-like protein from the latex of Carica papayaYvan Looze
Laboratoire de Chimie Générale CP 206 4, Institut de Pharmacie, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Campus de la Plaine, Boulevard du Triomphe, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Phytochemistry 70:970-8. 2009A 22.137 kDa protein constituent of fresh latex was isolated both from the latex of regularly damaged papaya trees and from a commercially available papain preparation...
- Anti-diarrhoeal activity of the latex of Calotropis proceraS Kumar
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, 110 029, New Delhi, India
J Ethnopharmacol 76:115-8. 2001The dry latex (DL) of Calotropis procera (Asclepiadaceae), a potent anti-inflammatory agent has been evaluated for anti-diarrhoeal activity...
- Detection of three wound-induced proteins in papaya latexMohamed Azarkan
Laboratoire de Chimie Générale I, Faculty of Medicine, University of Brussels, Campus Erasme CP 609, 808 Route de Lennik, B 1070 Brussels, Belgium
Phytochemistry 65:525-34. 2004The effects of routine mechanical wounding for latex collection from unripe fruits of the tropical Carica papaya tree were investigated. For that purpose, the protein composition of three different latexes was analyzed...
- Management of occupational allergy to natural rubber latex in a medical center: the importance of quantitative latex allergen measurement and objective follow-upLoren W Hunt
Allergic Diseases Research Laboratory and the Departments of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S96-106. 2002..or undetectable allergen content greatly reduced the concentration of allergen in the work site, reduced the number of new cases of occupational allergy to rubber, and allowed individuals with latex allergy to work at their usual jobs.
- Rabbit retinal neovascularization induced by latex angiogenic-derived fraction: an experimental modelR B Sampaio
Department of Ophthalmology, School of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Curr Eye Res 35:56-62. 2010To create a retinal neovascularization experimental model using intravitreal injection of microspheres loaded with latex-derived angiogenic fraction.
- Purification and biochemical characterization of asclepain c I from the latex of Asclepias curassavica LConstanza Liggieri
Laboratorio de Investigacion de Proteinas Vegetales, Departamento de Ciencias Biologicas, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, C C 711, B1900AVW, La Plata, Argentina
Protein J 23:403-11. 2004In this work we report the isolation, purification and characterization of a new protease from latex of Asclepias curassavica L. Crude extract (CE) was obtained by gathering latex on 0...
- Intradermal cytosine-phosphate-guanosine treatment reduces lung inflammation but induces IFN-γ-mediated airway hyperreactivity in a murine model of natural rubber latex allergyRita Haapakoski
Unit of Excellence for Immunotoxicology, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 44:639-47. 2011..Using natural rubber latex (NRL)-induced murine model of asthma, we demonstrated that intradermal CpG administration with allergen reduced ..
- Comparative toxicity of Euphorbia milii latex and synthetic molluscicides to Biomphalaria glabrata embryosEduardo C Oliveira-Filho
Laboratory of Environmental Toxicology, Department of Biological Sciences, National School of Public Health, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21040 361, Brazil
Chemosphere 81:218-27. 2010..This study was undertaken to compare the developmental toxicity of a plant molluscicide (Euphorbia milii latex, LAT) with that of three synthetic molluscicidal compounds...
- Study of blood contact in simulated surgical needlestick injuries with single or double latex glovingAndreas Wittmann
Department of Safety Engineering, University of Wuppertal, and the Helios Klinikum Wuppertal, Klinik für Nuklearmedizin, Wuppertal, Germany
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:53-6. 2009..The aim of this study was to measure the quantity of blood transferred at the point of a percutaneous injury by using radioactively labeled blood...
- Puncture resistance and stiffness of nitrile and latex dental examination glovesH B Patel
School of Dentistry, University of Birmingham, St Chad s Queensway, Birmingham B4 6NN
Br Dent J 196:695-700; discussion 685; quiz 707. 2004The aim of the current study was to assess the puncture resistance and stiffness of nitrile and latex dental examination gloves.
- Isolation and characterization of the early nodule-specific protein homologue (Hev b 13), an allergenic lipolytic esterase from Hevea brasiliensis latexSiti Arija M Arif
Rubber Research Institute of Malaysia, 50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Biol Chem 279:23933-41. 2004Recurring reports of a highly allergenic 42-46-kDa protein in Hevea brasiliensis latex appeared to have been resolved with the discovery of a 43-kDa allergenic latex protein that was a homologue to patatin...
- Philibertain g I, the most basic cysteine endopeptidase purified from the latex of Philibertia gilliesii Hook. et Arn. (Apocynaceae)C Sequeiros
CENPAT CONICET Centro Nacional Patagónico, Blvd Brown s n, 9120, Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Argentina
Protein J 24:445-53. 2005A new papain-like cysteine peptidase isolated from latex of Philibertia gilliesii Hook. et Arn., Apocynaceae (formerly Asclepiadaceae) has been purified and characterized...
- Ethylene stimulation of latex production in Hevea brasiliensisJiahong Zhu
Key Laboratory of Tropical Crop Biotechnology, Ministry of Agriculture, Institute of Tropical Biosciences and Biotechnology, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Haikou, China
Plant Signal Behav 4:1072-4. 2009..Ethylene, as a stimulant of latex production in H. brasiliensis, has been widely used in commercial latex production...
- Structural characterization of natural rubber based on recent evidence from selective enzymatic treatmentsJitladda Tangpakdee Sakdapipanich
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Biosci Bioeng 103:287-92. 2007..The rubber particles of fresh latex were purified by washing, i.e...
- Measurement of airborne latex allergensXaver Baur
Institute of Occupational Medicine Hamburg, University of Hamburg, Adolph Schoenfelder Strasse 5, D 22083, Hamburg, Germany
Methods 27:59-62. 2002..Several studies demonstrate that the use of powdered allergenic latex gloves leads to a significant aeroallergen load which is responsible for IgE-mediated rhinitis, bronchial asthma, ..
- Osmotin from Calotropis procera latex: new insights into structure and antifungal propertiesCléverson Diniz Teixeira de Freitas
Departamento de Biologia, Universidade Federal do Piaui, Bairro Melladão, Floriano Piauí, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1808:2501-7. 2011..structural properties and mechanisms of the antifungal action of CpOsm, a purified osmotin from Calotropis procera latex. Fluorescence and CD assays revealed that the CpOsm structure is highly stable, regardless of pH levels...
- Liquid marbles prepared from pH-responsive sterically stabilized latex particlesSyuji Fujii
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology, 5 16 1 Ohmiya, Osaka 535 8585, Japan
Langmuir 27:8067-74. 2011Submicrometer-sized pH-responsive sterically stabilized polystyrene (PS) latex particles were synthesized by dispersion polymerization in isopropyl alcohol with a poly[2-(diethylamino)ethyl methacrylate]- (PDEA-) based macroinitiator...
- Laticifer-specific cis-prenyltransferase silencing affects the rubber, triterpene, and inulin content of Taraxacum brevicorniculatumJanina Post
Westphalian Wilhelms University of Munster, Institute of Plant Biology and Biotechnology, 48143 Münster, Germany
Plant Physiol 158:1406-17. 2012..Taraxacum koksaghyz and Taraxacum brevicorniculatum, produce large amounts of high-quality natural rubber in their latex, the milky cytoplasm of specialized cells known as laticifers...
- Effect of the Synadenium carinatum latex lectin (ScLL) on Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis infection in murine macrophagesSandra R Afonso-Cardoso
Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade Federal de Uberlandia, Avenida Pará 1720, Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 128:61-7. 2011Antiparasitic effect of a lectin isolated from Synadenium carinatum latex (ScLL) was evaluated against Leishmania (Leishmania) amazonensis promastigotes/amastigotes...
- Uptake, excretion and toxicity of nano-sized latex particles on medaka (Oryzias latipes) embryos and larvaeMasahiko Manabe
Division of Applied Biosciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Aquat Toxicol 105:576-81. 2011..In this study, we investigated the effect of nano-sized, fluorescent, latex particles on the freshwater fish, medaka (Oryzias latipes)...
- Perioperative latex allergyR Bernardini
San Giuseppe Hospital, Empoli, Florence, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 24:S55-60. 2011The prevalence of latex allergy varies greatly depending on the population studied and the methods used to detect sensitization...
- Lupeol, a triterpenoid isolated from Calotropis gigantea latex ameliorates the primary and secondary complications of FCA induced adjuvant disease in experimental ratsVenkatesan Saratha
Department of Biochemistry, University of Madras, Guindy Campus, Chennai 600025, Tamilnadu, India
Inflammopharmacology 20:27-37. 2012..Calotropis gigantea is a xerophytic, latex producing medicinal plant widely distributed in nature...
- Proteomic analysis of latex from the rubber-producing plant Taraxacum brevicorniculatumDaniela Wahler
Molecular Biotechnology, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
Proteomics 12:901-5. 2012Many plants produce latex, a specialized, metabolically active cytoplasm. This is generally regarded as a defensive trait but latex may also possess additional functions...
- Glycolipid composition of Hevea brasiliensis latexSiriluck Liengprayoon
Montpellier SupAgro, UMR 1208 IATE, 2 place Viala, F 34060 Montpellier, France
Phytochemistry 72:1902-13. 2011Glycolipids of fresh latex from three clones of Hevea brasiliensis were characterized and quantified by HPLC/ESI-MS. Their fatty acyl and sterol components were further confirmed by GC/MS after saponification...
- Latex sensitivity: an industrial hygiene perspectiveJohn E Reiter
KISCO, Inc, Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin 53051, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 110:S121-8. 2002As a result of the increase in latex product manufacturing and use during the last 10 to 13 years, latex sensitivity has become an important health issue...
- Diagnostic value of specific IgE analysis in latex allergyMehmet Unsel
Division of Allergy, Department of Internal Medicine, Tepecik Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 158:281-7. 2012The precision of the methods used to diagnose latex allergy is of great importance due to false-positive results. Neither the skin prick test (SPT) nor the latex-specific IgE assay has 100% diagnostic accuracy...
- Characterization of rubber particles and rubber chain elongation in Taraxacum koksaghyzThomas Schmidt
Fraunhofer Institut für Molekularbiologie und Angewandte Ökologie, Forckenbeckstr, 6, 52074 Aachen, Germany
BMC Biochem 11:11. 2010..However, there is very little molecular data available for either the rubber polymer itself or its biosynthesis in T. koksaghyz...
- Time and force dependence of the rupture of glycoprotein IIb-IIIa-fibrinogen bonds between latex spheresH L Goldsmith
McGill University Medical Clinic, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Biophys J 78:1195-206. 2000We studied the shear-induced breakup of doublets of aldehyde/sulfate (A/S) latex spheres covalently linked with purified platelet GPIIb-IIIa receptor, and cross-linked by fibrinogen...
- Sub-femtomolar electrochemical detection of DNA hybridization based on latex/gold nanoparticle-assisted signal amplificationSuttiporn Pinijsuwan
School of Bioresources and Technology, King Mongkut s University of Technology Thonburi, Bangkhuntien, Bangkok 10150, Thailand
Anal Chem 80:6779-84. 2008We report a relatively simple electrostatic method for modifying submicrometer-size latex spheres with gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) based on layer-by-layer modification of the latex by polyelectrolytes...
- Biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using latex from few Euphorbian plants and their antimicrobial potentialSatish V Patil
School of Life Sciences, North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon, India
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 167:776-90. 2012..This study is the first report of one-step solvent-free synthesis of AgNPs using Euphorbiaceae plant latex. Among evaluated eight latex-producing plants, four (Jatropha curcas, Jatropha gossypifolia, Pedilanthus ..
- Calotropis procera latex extract affords protection against inflammation and oxidative stress in Freund's complete adjuvant-induced monoarthritis in ratsVijay L Kumar
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
Mediators Inflamm 2007:47523. 2007In view of the well-established anti-inflammatory properties of latex of Calotropis procera (DL), the present study was carried out to evaluate the protective effect of its methanol extract (MeDL) against inflammation and oxidative ..
- A molecular and in silico characterization of Hev b 4, a glycosylated latex allergenAdeel Malik
Department of Biosciences, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi 110025, India
Int J Biol Macromol 42:185-90. 2008Hev b 4 is a heavily glycosylated latex allergen with seven attached N-glycans, comprising of both oligomannose and complex type structures...
- Component-resolved diagnosis from latex allergy by microarrayD G Ebo
Department of Immunology Allergology Rheumatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Clin Exp Allergy 40:348-58. 2010A positive specific IgE (sIgE) result for latex does not always mirror the clinical situation and is frequently found in individuals without overt latex allergy.
- Characterization of cross-reactive bell pepper allergens involved in the latex-fruit syndromeS Wagner
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Clin Exp Allergy 34:1739-46. 2004Between 30% and 50% of individuals who are allergic to latex products are also allergic to specific plant foods, a fact that is well documented as the latex-fruit syndrome...
- Percutaneous reactivity to natural rubber latex proteins persists in health-care workers following avoidance of natural rubber latexA M Smith
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Allergy Immunology, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Clin Exp Allergy 37:1349-56. 2007Long-term avoidance of natural rubber latex [Hevea brasiliensis (Hev b)] is currently recommended for health-care workers (HCWs) with established natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy...
- Exercise with latex sport bands represents a risk for latex allergic patientsEva Untersmayr
Department of Pathophysiology, Center of Physiology, Pathophysiology and Immunology, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Immunol Lett 115:98-104. 2008Based on two clinical observations of adverse reactions during exercise with latex sport bands, we aimed to assess the possible risk for allergic patients posed by this equipment by investigating allergen content and IgE binding ..
- Purification and characterization of a 34-kDa, heat stable glycoprotein from Synadenium grantii latex: action on human fibrinogen and fibrin clotR Rajesh
Department of Studies in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore 570006, India
Biochimie 88:1313-22. 2006b>Latex glycoprotein (LGP) from Synadenium grantii latex was purified by the combination of heat precipitation and gel permeation chromatography...
- In vitro neuronal cytotoxicity of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elasticsMark Hanson
Department of Biomedical Sciences, School of Dentistry, Marquette University, 561 N 15th Street, Room 426, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:65-70. 2004..We evaluated the neurotoxicity of 3 latex and 3 nonlatex orthodontic elastics in murine cerebral cortical cell cultures...
- Efficacy of the male latex condom and of the female polyurethane condom as barriers to semen during intercourse: a randomized clinical trialMaurizio Macaluso
Division of Reproductive Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:88-96. 2007In this 2000-2001 study, the authors compared the effectiveness of the male latex condom and the female polyurethane condom by assessing frequency and types of mechanical failure and by evaluating semen exposure during use...
- Isolated hevein-like domains, but not 31-kd endochitinases, are responsible for IgE-mediated in vitro and in vivo reactions in latex-fruit syndromePiia Karisola
Department of Biological and Environmental Science, University of Jyvaskyla, Jyvaskyla, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 115:598-605. 2005Individuals with natural rubber latex allergy often have immediate reactions to plant-derived foods and fresh fruits, such as avocado and banana...
- Cysteine proteases from the Asclepiadaceae plants latex exhibited thrombin and plasmin like activitiesH V Shivaprasad
Department of Studies in Biochemistry, University of Mysore, Manasagangothri, Mysore, India
J Thromb Thrombolysis 28:304-8. 2009In the present study we evaluated the presence of cysteine protease from the latex of four plants Asclepias curassavica L., Calotropis gigantea R.Br., Pergularia extensa R.Br. and Cynanchum puciflorum R.Br...
- A comparison of dynamic and static testing of latex and nonlatex orthodontic elasticsMichael L Kersey
Department of Orthodontics, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Angle Orthod 73:181-6. 2003..Samples of American Orthodontics' 0.25 inch, 4.5 oz (6.35 mm, 127.5 g) latex and nonlatex elastics were used and a sample size of 12 elastics per group was tested...
- Influence of ammonia and carbon dioxide on the sorption of a basic organic pollutant to carpet and latex-painted gypsum boardManeerat Ongwandee
Missouri University of Science and Technology, MO, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:5415-20. 2008..In contrast, NH3 decreases the surface capacity of both carpet and latex paint. Sorption of TMA to these indoor materials is primarily caused by interactions at one or more interfaces...
- [Consensus Document. Update on latex exposure and use of gloves in Italian health care settings]Michela Crippa
Unità di Allergologia Occupazionale, Servizio di Medicina del Lavoro, Az Spedali Civili Brescia, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Brescia
Med Lav 99:387-99. 2008..working group including occupational health professionals involved for many years in the management of glove- and latex-related problems in health care settings...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of sublingual immunotherapy in patients with latex-induced urticaria: a 12-month studyE Nettis
Department of Clinical Medicine, Immunology and Infectious Deseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Br J Dermatol 156:674-81. 2007Natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy is a worldwide problem. Although prevention is sufficient to reduce sensitization, prolonged avoidance is needed to prevent resensitization or adverse reactions on re-exposure.
- Transformation of opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.) with antisense berberine bridge enzyme gene (anti-bbe) via somatic embryogenesis results in an altered ratio of alkaloids in latex but not in rootsSusanne Frick
Leibniz Institute of Plant Biochemistry, Weinberg 3, D 06120 Halle Saale, Germany
Transgenic Res 13:607-13. 2004..The transgenic plants contained one additional copy of the transgene. The alkaloid content in latex and roots was determined with HPLC and LC-MS...
- Latex immunoturbidimetric assay for soluble fibrin complexAkiei Hamano
Central Research Laboratory of Nissui Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Ibaraki 307 0036, Japan
Clin Chem 51:183-8. 2005..Its detection and quantification are useful for obtaining information about the condition and degree of intravascular coagulation in early-stage thrombosis, but there is no rapid method to measure SFC in plasma for clinical use...
- Toxicity of aqueous extract of Euphorbia tirucalli latex on catfish, Heteropneustes fossilisAbhishek Kumar
Department of Zoology, D D U Gorakhpur University, Gorakhpur 273009, India
Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 73:1671-3. 2010..renewal acute toxicity test was performed to determine the LC(50) value of aqueous extract of Euphorbia tirucalli latex for the freshwater fish, Heteropneustes fossilis...
- Purification of Euphorbia characias latex peroxidase by calmodulin-affinity chromatographyFrancesca Pintus
Department of Applied Sciences in Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Ital J Biochem 56:1-5. 2007A new procedure to purify to homogeneity an Euphorbia characias latex peroxidase is performed employing a calmodulin-Sepharose column as affinity chromatography...
- Hevein-like protein domains as a possible cause for allergen cross-reactivity between latex and bananaJ H Mikkola
National Public Health Institute, Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
J Allergy Clin Immunol 102:1005-12. 1998Patients allergic to natural rubber latex (NRL) frequently exhibit immediate hypersensitivity reactions to banana, but the molecular basis of these putative cross-reactions is unknown.
- Role of lipid rafts in phagocytic uptake of polystyrene latex microspheres by macrophagesGoshi Nagao
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda, Chiba 278 8510, Japan
Anticancer Res 30:3167-76. 2010..Micro- and nanospheres have been used as carrier materials for effective delivery of drugs into macrophages via endocytosis including phagocytosis for the treatment of cancer and infections...
- Calcium ions and a secreted peroxidase in Euphorbia characias latex are made for each otherFrancesca Pintus
Department of Applied Sciences in Biosystems, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Protein J 30:115-23. 2011This minireview deals of a protein, a class III secreted peroxidase, present as unique isoform in the latex of the perennial Mediterranean shrub Euphorbia characias...
- Natural rubber latex and chestnut allergy: cross-reactivity or co-sensitization?M Raulf-Heimsoth
Research Institute of Occupational Medicine of the Berufsgenossenschaften BGFA, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Allergy 62:1277-81. 2007Chestnut and natural rubber latex (NRL) allergy are often associated in the latex-fruit syndrome.
- Orthodontic latex elastics: a force relaxation studyChristiana Gioka
Department of Biomaterials, School of Dentistry, University of Athens, 2 Thivon Street Goudi, Athens, GR 11527, Greece
Angle Orthod 76:475-9. 2006The objectives of this study were to assess the force relaxation of latex elastics occurring within 24 hours of extension and to estimate the extension required to reach the reported force...
- Oxidation of 2-mercaptobenzothiazole in latex gloves and its possible haptenation pathwayItai Chipinda
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Branch, Health Effects Laboratory Division, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 1095 Willowdale Road, Morgantown, WV 26505 2888, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 20:1084-92. 2007..The data suggest that the critical functional group on MBT is the thiol, and haptenation is via the formation of mixed disulfides between the thiol group on MBT and a protein sulfhydryl group...
- In vitro assessment of the mechanical properties of latex and non-latex orthodontic elasticsK A Russell
Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 120:36-44. 2001The increased incidence of latex allergies has led to the development of non-latex orthodontic products. The purpose of this study was to compare the mechanical properties of latex and non-latex orthodontic elastics...
- Exposure to airborne methacrylates and natural rubber latex allergens in dental clinicsM L Henriks-Eckerman
Turku Regional Institute of Occupational Health, Turku, Finland
J Environ Monit 3:302-5. 2001The exposure of dental personnel to airborne methacrylates and natural rubber latex (NRL) allergens was studied during placing of composite resin restorations in six dental clinics in Finland...
- Wound healing properties of Carica papaya latex: in vivo evaluation in mice burn modelShila Gurung
The School of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Pokhara University, P O Box 427, Dhungepatan, Lekhnath, Nepal
J Ethnopharmacol 121:338-41. 2009..Carica papaya is traditionally used to treat various skin disorders, including wounds. It is widely used in developing countries as an effective and readily available treatment of various wounds, particularly burns...
- Latex-induced occupational asthma: time trend in incidence and relationship with hospital glove policiesO Vandenplas
Fonds voor de Beroepsziekten Fonds des Maladies Professionnelles, Brussels, Belgium
Allergy 64:415-20. 2009Natural rubber latex (NRL) has become as a major cause of occupational asthma (OA) in workers using NRL gloves...
- Evaluation of force degradation characteristics of orthodontic latex elastics in vitro and in vivoTong Wang
Key Laboratory for Oral Biomedical Engineering of Ministry of Education, Department of Orthodontics, Hospital and School of Stomatology, Wuhan University, Wuhan, Hubei, China
Angle Orthod 77:688-93. 2007To evaluate the characteristics of force degradation of latex elastics in clinical applications and in vitro studies.
- Allergenicity of Hev b 13, a major esterase allergen in natural rubber latex (Hevea brasiliensis) allergy, does not only depend on its carbohydrate moietyPierre Rouge
Surfaces Cellulaires et Signalisation chez les Végétaux, UMR Université Paul Sabatier CNRS 5546, 24 Chemin de Borde Rouge, 31326 Castanet Tolosan, France
Mol Immunol 47:871-7. 2010The three-dimensional model built for the major latex allergen Hev b 13 consists of the typical organization of plant esterases made of a central bundle of five parallel beta-strands surrounded by five alpha-helices associated to two ..
- Hydrogen production by photoreactive nanoporous latex coatings of nongrowing Rhodopseudomonas palustris CGA009Jimmy L Gosse
Biotechnology Institute, 140 Gortner Laboratory, and Department of Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, and Biophysics, University of Minnesota, 1479 Gortner Avenue, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
Biotechnol Prog 23:124-30. 2007..0 x 108 CFU/muL formulation) nongrowing Rhodopseudomonas palustris CGA009 were immobilized in thin, nanoporous, latex coatings...
- Got milk? The secret life of laticifersJillian M Hagel
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 1N4, Canada
Trends Plant Sci 13:631-9. 2008..The classification of laticifers is based on developmental patterns and overall morphology. The cytoplasmic latex exuded in response to damage often includes specialized metabolites, such as cardenolides, alkaloids and natural ..
- Preliminary studies of Mammea americana L. (Guttiferae) bark/latex extract point to an effective antiulcer effect on gastric ulcer models in miceW Toma
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, State University of Campinas, Campinas, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Phytomedicine 12:345-50. 2005..These results suggest that the antiulcerogenic compound(s) present in M. americana may be clustered in the apolar fraction, which will be investigated by our group for the probable mechanisms of action...
- Size effects of latex nanomaterials on lung inflammation in miceKen ichiro Inoue
Environmental Health Sciences Division, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 234:68-76. 2009..This study examined the effects of pulmonary exposure to (latex) nanomaterials on lung inflammation related to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) or allergen in mice, especially in terms ..
- A stable serine protease, wrightin, from the latex of the plant Wrightia tinctoria (Roxb.) R. Br.: purification and biochemical propertiesRitu Tomar
Molecular Biology Unit, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, India
J Agric Food Chem 56:1479-87. 2008Today proteases have become an integral part of the food and feed industry, and plant latex could be a potential source of novel proteases with unique substrate specificities and biochemical properties...
- A convenient and efficient protocol for isolating high-quality RNA from latex of Hevea brasiliensis (para rubber tree)Chaorong Tang
Key Lab of Ministry of Agriculture for Tropical Crops Physiology, Rubber Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences, Danzhou, Hainan 571737, China
J Biochem Biophys Methods 70:749-54. 2007Isolating high-quality RNA from latex of H. brasiliensis is a prerequisite to elucidating the molecular mechanisms of rubber biosynthesis and its regulation...
- Purification and characterization of the cysteine proteinases in the latex of Vasconcellea sppTina Kyndt
Department of Molecular Biotechnology, Faculty of Bioscience Engineering, Ghent University, Belgium
FEBS J 274:451-62. 2007b>Latex of all Vasconcellea species analyzed to date exhibits higher proteolytic amidase activities, generally attributed to cysteine proteinases, than the latex of Carica papaya...
- Mulberry latex rich in antidiabetic sugar-mimic alkaloids forces dieting on caterpillarsKotaro Konno
National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, 1 2 Ohwashi, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8634, Japan
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:1337-41. 2006..mori, because of the ingredients of the latex, a milky sap exuded from mulberry leaf veins...
- Antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral, and antispore paintsYUYU contact SUN; Fiscal Year: 2010..tetramethyl-4-piperidinyl acrylate (Cl-TMPA), will be polymerized to produce polymeric N-halamine latex emulsions...
- Keratinocyte Costimulation and Th2-Cell Immune DeviationAnthony Gaspari; Fiscal Year: 2006..is highly relevant to the understanding of development of type I allergic responses to haptens, natural rubber latex (NRL)-containing medical devices, and atopic diseases in general...
- Keratinocyte Costimulation and Th2-Cell Immune DeviationAnthony Gaspari; Fiscal Year: 2009..is highly relevant to the understanding of development of type I allergic responses to haptens, natural rubber latex (NRL)-containing medical devices, and atopic diseases in general...
- Novel Topical Treatment of EczemaBakul Bhatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..on the skin and deter hand washing, and also provide a route for skin sensitization to natural rubber latex proteins...
- The Roles of Conserved outer-membrane proteins in SFG rickettsia pathogenesisJuan J Martinez; Fiscal Year: 2010..coli, purified proteins and protein coupled latex beads...
- IMMUNOPROBES FOR LUBRICIN FROM HUMAN SYNOVIAL FLUIDGregory Jay; Fiscal Year: 2003..An arthrotripsometer composed of latex oscillating against glass employed by the PI reproduced critical findings of previous studies using cartilage ..
- MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF INFECTION WITH M TUBERCULOSISLee Riley; Fiscal Year: 2002..tuberculosis that promoted uptake of latex microspheres coated with the protein into nonphagocytic cells...
- Rapid Test for Monitoring Dust Mite Avoidance in HomesMartin Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2004..Lateral flow technology will enable tests for food and latex allergens to be developed, as well as a new generation of rapid allergen diagnostic tests using genetically ..
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF CMI IN TYPE I DIABETESJohn Hutton; Fiscal Year: 2000..This assay may be modified by use of latex beads to immobilize antigen and enhance the sensitivity of the proliferative response...
- IMMUNOTHERAPY FOR LATEX RUBBER ALLERGYN Adkinson; Fiscal Year: 2001..of the rubber tree has become a major occupational hazard of health care workers and some patients with frequent latex rubber exposures. Between 2.2 and 10...
- ENGINEERING INTEGRIN--MEDIATED CELL MIGRATIONDouglas Lauffenburger; Fiscal Year: 2002..An optical trap assay that employs integrin antibodies (anti-aIIbb3 or anti-a5) chemically conjugated to latex beads will be used to measure the front-vs-rear asymmetry in integrin/cytoskeleton linkage in CHO cells with ..
- A validated asthma questionnaire for healthcare workersGeorge Delclos; Fiscal Year: 2003..exposures risk factors (RAST IgE-specific antibody panel against common environmental aeroallergens and latex)...