Summary: A generic term for all substances having the properties of natural, reclaimed, vulcanized, or synthetic rubber, in that they stretch under tension, have a high tensile strength, retract rapidly, and recover their original dimensions fully.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- A tough biodegradable elastomerYadong Wang
Department of Chemical Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Nat Biotechnol 20:602-6. 2002..In vitro and in vivo studies show that the polymer has good biocompatibility. Polymer implants under animal skin are absorbed completely within 60 days with restoration of the implantation sites to their normal architecture...
- Designing biodegradable multiblock PCL/PLA thermoplastic elastomersD Cohn
Casali Institute of Applied Chemistry, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Gival Ram Campus, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Biomaterials 26:2297-305. 2005..The longer the PLA block, the slower the in vitro degradation of the material, with all copolymers degrading faster than the respective homopolymers...
- Color stability of pigmented maxillofacial silicone elastomer: effects of nano-oxides as opacifiersYing Han
Department of Prosthodontics, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi an, China
J Dent 38:e100-5. 2010This study evaluated the effects of nano-oxides on the color stability of pigmented silicone A-2186 maxillofacial prosthetic elastomers before and after artificial aging.
- Robotic tentacles with three-dimensional mobility based on flexible elastomersRamses V Martinez
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, 12 Oxford Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Adv Mater 25:205-12. 2013Soft robotic tentacles that move in three dimensions upon pressurization are fabricated by composing flexible elastomers with different tensile strengths using soft lithographic molding...
- Remotely actuated polymer nanocomposites--stress-recovery of carbon-nanotube-filled thermoplastic elastomersHilmar Koerner
Nonmetallic Materials Division, University of Dayton Research Institute, 300 College Park Ave, Dayton, Ohio 45469, USA
Nat Mater 3:115-20. 2004....
- Sustained transgene expression via citric acid-based polyester elastomersXue Qing Zhang
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Biomaterials 30:2632-41. 2009..The results demonstrate that POC scaffolds are a suitable material for substrate-mediated gene delivery. POC scaffolds can potentially support long-term biological cues to mediate tissue formation through non-viral gene delivery...
- Influence of opacifiers on dimensional stability and detail reproduction of maxillofacial silicone elastomerMarcelo C Goiato
Department of Dental Materials and Prosthodontics, Araçatuba Dental School, UNESP, Rua José Bonifácio 1193, Aracatuba, SP, Brazil
Biomed Eng Online 9:85. 2010..We evaluated the influence of chemical disinfection and accelerated aging on the dimensional stability and detail reproduction of a silicone elastomer containing one of two opacifiers...
- Antifouling potential of lubricious, micro-engineered, PDMS elastomers against zoospores of the green fouling alga Ulva (Enteromorpha)Leslie Hoipkemeier-Wilson
University of Florida, PO Box 116400, Gainesville, FL 32611 6400, USA
Biofouling 20:53-63. 2004..chemically modified, micro-engineered surface topographies have been investigated using poly(dimethyl siloxane) elastomers (PDMSe) with varying additions of non-network forming poly(dimethyl siloxane) based oils...
- In vivo degradation behavior of photo-cross-linked star-poly(epsilon-caprolactone-co-D,L-lactide) elastomersBrian G Amsden
Departments of Chemical Engineering and of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
Biomacromolecules 7:365-72. 2006We have recently reported on the preparation of biodegradable elastomers through photo-cross-linking acrylated star-poly(epsilon-caprolactone-co-D,L-lactide)...
- Mechanical behavior of facial prosthetic elastomers after outdoor weatheringP N Eleni
Department of Chemical Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Zografou Campus, Hroon Polytexneiou 9, 15780 Athens, Greece
Dent Mater 25:1493-502. 2009The degradation of maxillofacial prosthetic elastomers that occurs during physical weathering is usually responsible for the replacement of prostheses...
- Liquid crystalline elastomers as actuators and sensorsChristian Ohm
University Mainz, Germany
Adv Mater 22:3366-87. 2010This review collects recent developments in the field of liquid crystalline elastomers (LCEs) with an emphasis on their use for actuator and sensor applications...
- Effect of opacifiers on color stability of pigmented maxillofacial silicone A-2186 subjected to artificial agingSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Assistant Professor, Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, The University of Texas, Houston Health Science Center, Dental Branch, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Prosthodont 11:109-16. 2002..was designed to determine the effect of opacifiers used at different ratios on the color stability of pigmented A-2186 silicone maxillofacial elastomers and to evaluate the color spectrophotometrically before and after artificial aging.
- Synthesis and evaluation of poly(diol citrate) biodegradable elastomersJian Yang
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Biomaterials 27:1889-98. 2006..The introduction of poly(diol citrates) will expand the repertoire of currently available biodegradable polymeric elastomers and should help meet the requirements of tissue engineering applications.
- Biodegradable poly(ether ester urethane)urea elastomers based on poly(ether ester) triblock copolymers and putrescine: synthesis, characterization and cytocompatibilityJianjun Guan
McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, 100 Technology Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
Biomaterials 25:85-96. 2004..Toward this end a series of biodegradable poly(ether ester urethane)urea elastomers (PEEUUs) based on poly(ether ester) triblock copolymers were synthesized and characterized...
- Characterization of supported membranes on topographically patterned polymeric elastomers and their applications to microcontact printingAnnapoorna R Sapuri-Butti
Department of Applied Science, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Langmuir 23:12645-54. 2007..Taken together, the study sheds light on the structuring of lipid inks on PDMS elastomers and provides clues regarding the mechanism of bilayer transfer...
- Amino alcohol-based degradable poly(ester amide) elastomersChristopher J Bettinger
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Room E25 342, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Biomaterials 29:2315-25. 2008Currently available synthetic biodegradable elastomers are primarily composed of crosslinked aliphatic polyesters, which suffer from deficiencies including (1) high crosslink densities, which results in exceedingly high stiffness, (2) ..
- Lipase-catalyzed synthesis and properties of poly[(12-hydroxydodecanoate)-co-(12-hydroxystearate)] directed towards novel green and sustainable elastomersHiroki Ebata
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, 3 14 1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku Ku, Yokohama, Japan
Macromol Biosci 8:38-45. 2008Novel green and sustainable elastomers having both good biodegradability and chemical recyclability properties were designed and synthesized using potentially biobased materials and lipase as an environmentally benign catalyst...
- Combined and sequential delivery of bioactive VEGF165 and HGF from poly(trimethylene carbonate) based photo-cross-linked elastomersR Chapanian
Department of Chemical Engineering, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K7L 3N6
J Control Release 143:53-63. 2010The ability of trimethylene carbonate (TMC) based elastomers to release bioactive vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF(165)) and hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) separately and in combined and sequential fashions using an osmotic ..
- Biodegradable elastomers for tissue engineering and cell-biomaterial interactionsChristopher J Bettinger
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15232, USA
Macromol Biosci 11:467-82. 2011..This review describes several classes of synthetic biodegradable elastomers and associated fabrication techniques that are relevant to scaffold development...
- Hybrid nanofibrous scaffolds from electrospinning of a synthetic biodegradable elastomer and urinary bladder matrixJohn J Stankus
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, 1249 Benedum Hall, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 19:635-52. 2008..Electrospun UBM/PEUU combined the attractive bioactivity and mechanical features of its individual components to result in scaffolds with considerable potential for soft tissue engineering applications...
- Evaluation of biocompatibility and mechanical behavior of polyurethane elastomers based on chitin/1,4-butane diol blendsKhalid Mahmood Zia
Department of Chemistry, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
Int J Biol Macromol 44:18-22. 2009Chitin based polyurethane elastomers with potential as biomedical implants with tunable mechanical properties were synthesized by step growth polymerization techniques using poly(epsilon-caprolactone) (PCL) and 4,4'-diphenylmethane ..
- Biodegradable fibrous scaffolds with tunable properties formed from photo-cross-linkable poly(glycerol sebacate)Jamie L Ifkovits
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 1:1878-86. 2009..In summary, these diverse scaffolds with tailorable chemical, structural, mechanical, and degradation properties are potentially useful for the engineering of a wide range of soft tissues...
- Surface characteristics of chitin-based shape memory polyurethane elastomersKhalid Mahmood Zia
Department of Chemistry, University of Agriculture, Faisalabad 38040, Pakistan
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 72:248-52. 2009..The interactions of the PU films with solvents on the surface were clearly related to the contents of DMPA and chitin in the final polyurethane formulation...
- Textured polydimethylsiloxane elastomers in the human larynx: safety and efficiency of useC Sittel
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Cologne, Germany
J Biomed Mater Res 53:646-50. 2000..Their use is a valuable and safe alternative when a definitive one-step procedure seems advantageous. However, further studies are needed to assess voice improvement in comparison to other materials...
- In vivo comparison of force decay between injection molded and die-cut stamped elastomersJose A Bousquet
Department of Occlusion and Prosthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Universidad de Carabobo, Valencia, Venezuela
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 129:384-9. 2006..The aim of this randomized clinical trial was to determine whether elastomeric chains made by different fabrication procedures have different force-decay levels...
- Development of biodegradable crosslinked urethane-doped polyester elastomersJagannath Dey
Department of Bioengineering, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX 76019, USA
Biomaterials 29:4637-49. 2008Traditional crosslinked polyester elastomers are inherently weak, and the strategy of increasing crosslink density to improve their mechanical properties makes them brittle materials...
- Biodegradable and radically polymerized elastomers with enhanced processing capabilitiesJamie L Ifkovits
Department of Bioengineering, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Biomed Mater 3:034104. 2008..Although others have developed biodegradable elastomers, they are restricted by their processing at high temperatures and under vacuum, which limits their fabrication ..
- Long-term in vivo biostability of poly(dimethylsiloxane)/poly(hexamethylene oxide) mixed macrodiol-based polyurethane elastomersAnne Simmons
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering, University of New South Wales, Sydney NSW 2052, Australia
Biomaterials 25:4887-900. 2004..The results indicate that a soft, flexible PDMS-based polyurethane synthesized using 20% PHMO and 80% PDMS macrodiols has excellent long-term biostability compared with commercially available polyurethanes...
- Elastomer implants in faecal incontinence: a blind, randomized placebo-controlled studyL Siproudhis
Service des Maladies de l Appareil digestif, CHU Pontchaillou, Rennes, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:1125-32. 2007..To test efficacy and safety of polydimethylsiloxane elastomer implants, a silicone biomaterial, in patients with severe faecal incontinence related to an impaired internal anal sphincter...
- Comparative structures and properties of elastic proteinsArthur S Tatham
Institute of Arable Crops Research, Long Ashton Research Station, Department of Agricultural Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol BS41 9AF, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357:229-34. 2002..The mechanism of elasticity varies between the different proteins and appears to be related to the biological role of the protein...
- Synthesis and characterization of photocurable elastomers from poly(glycerol-co-sebacate)Christiaan L E Nijst
Department of Chemical Engineering and Harvard MIT Division of Health Science and Technology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Biomacromolecules 8:3067-73. 2007..These photocurable degradable elastomers could have potential application for the encapsulation of temperature-sensitive factors and cells for tissue ..
- Biomedical application of commercial polymers and novel polyisobutylene-based thermoplastic elastomers for soft tissue replacementJudit E Puskas
Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B9
Biomacromolecules 5:1141-54. 2004Novel polyisobutylene-based thermoplastic elastomers are introduced as prospective implant materials for soft tissue replacement and reconstruction...
- Fluoridated elastomers: effect on the microbiology of plaquePhilip E Benson
School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield, United Kingdom
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 126:325-30. 2004..The study consisted of 2 experimental periods of 6 weeks with a washout period between. Fluoridated elastomers were randomly allocated at the first visit to be placed around brackets on tooth numbers 12, 11, 33 or 22, 21, ..
- In vivo performance of a phospholipid-coated bioerodable elastomeric graft for small-diameter vascular applicationsLorenzo Soletti
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 96:436-48. 2011..Further evaluation in vivo will be required to demonstrate complete remodeling of the graft into a native-like artery...
- Biodegradable polyester elastomers in tissue engineeringAntonio R Webb
Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering Department, 2145 Sheridan Rd, Room E310, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Expert Opin Biol Ther 4:801-12. 2004..This review will cover the latest advances in the development of biodegradable polyester elastomers for use as scaffolds to engineer tissues, such as heart valves and blood vessels.
- Viscoelastic and mechanical behavior of recombinant protein elastomersKarthik Nagapudi
Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Biomaterials 26:4695-706. 2005..All told, the range of properties exhibited by this new class of protein triblock copolymer in combination with their easy processability suggests potential utility in a variety of soft prosthetic and tissue engineering applications...
- Biological liquid crystal elastomersDavid P Knight
Zoology Department, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3PS, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 357:155-63. 2002Liquid crystal elastomers (LCEs) have recently been described as a new class of matter...
- Mechanically tunable three-dimensional elastomeric network/air structures via interference lithographyJi Hyun Jang
Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nano Lett 6:740-3. 2006..Brillouin light scattering (BLS) was employed to measure phononic modes of the structure as a function of mechanical strain. The results demonstrate that the phononic band diagram of such structures can be tuned mechanically...
- Confinement-induced instability and adhesive failure between dissimilar thin elastic filmsJ Y Chung
Department of Chemical Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
Eur Phys J E Soft Matter 20:47-53. 2006..Understanding the nature of this instability is important, as it affects the adhesive compliance of the system and thus the energy release rate in the debonding of soft interfaces...
- Resilient bioresorbable copolymers based on trimethylene carbonate, L-lactide, and 1,5-dioxepan-2-oneNatalia Andronova
Department of Fibre and Polymer Technology, School of Chemistry Science and Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology, 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Biomacromolecules 7:1489-95. 2006..Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) of trimethylene carbonate (TMC) with L-lactide (LLA) and 1,5-dioxepan-2-one (DXO) have been synthesized ..
- Alterations in physical cross-linking modulate mechanical properties of two-phase protein polymer networksXiaoyi Wu
Department of Surgery, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
Biomacromolecules 6:3037-44. 2005..Thus, two-phase protein polymer networks exhibit tunable responses that extend the range of application of these materials to a variety of tissue engineering applications...
- A new biodegradable polyester elastomer for cartilage tissue engineeringYong Kang
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 77:331-9. 2006..Histology/immunohistochemistry evaluations confirm that chondrocytes were able to attach to the pore walls within the scaffold, maintain cell phenotype, and form a cartilaginous tissue during the 28 days of culture...
- Effects of prestretching on force degradation of synthetic elastomeric chainsKyung Ho Kim
Department of Orthodontics, College of Dentistry, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 128:477-82. 2005..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effects of prestretching on time-dependant force decay of synthetic elastomeric chains...
- Oxidative and hydrolytic stability of a novel acrylic terpolymer for biomedical applicationsAnka N Veleva
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 74:117-23. 2005..The results from this study indicate excellent biostability of HMA-MMA-MAA terpolymers and thus their potential for use in biomedical devices for long-term implantation...
- Mechanical properties and remodeling of hybrid cardiac constructs made from heart cells, fibrin, and biodegradable, elastomeric knitted fabricJan Boublik
Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Center for Space Research, and Department of Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 02139, USA
Tissue Eng 11:1122-32. 2005..Together, the data showed that hybrid cardiac constructs initially exhibited supraphysiologic UTS, epsilon(f), and E, and remodeled in response to serum and stretch in vitro and in an ectopic in vivo model...
- Advances in fixed appliance orthodonticsL Currie
Orthodontic Department, Birmingham Dental School
Dent Update 31:463-4, 466-8, 471. 2004..These have resulted in improved efficiency, convenience and simplicity in using fixed appliance orthodontics. This article is intended to be an update in these advances over the last 10 years...
- Archwire seating forces produced by different ligation methods and their effect on frictional resistanceBalvinder Khambay
Unit of Orthodontics, Glasgow Dental School, 378 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G2 3JZ, Scotland, UK
Eur J Orthod 27:302-8. 2005..01). The force with which the wire was seated into the bracket did not seem to be related to the subsequent amount of mean frictional force produced...
- Multielectrode arrays with elastomeric microstructured overlays for extracellular recordings from patterned neuronsE Claverol-Tinture
Department of Electronics, Technical University of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
J Neural Eng 2:L1-7. 2005..The combination of replica moulding, rapid prototyping and planar MEAs results in low-cost neurochips accessible to most neurophysiology labs. Single neuron patterning and recordings of extracellular potentials are demonstrated...
- Maxillary arch changes during leveling and aligning with fixed appliances and low-friction ligaturesLorenzo Franchi
Department of Orthodontics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 130:88-91. 2006..The aim of this study was to evaluate the changes in the transverse dimension and the perimeter of the maxillary arch produced by a low-friction system during the leveling and aligning phases of fixed appliance therapy...
- Study of micro and nano surface structures from UV irradiated urethane/urea elastomersM H Godinho
Department de Ciência dos Materiais and CENIMAT, Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2829 516 Caparica, Portugal
Biomol Eng 24:97-101. 2007..Between 26 and 31 h exposure time a leap in both values, peak-to-valley and Ra, was observed. The sudden increase in these values is correlated to fabrication of wrinkles by uniaxially stretching PU/PBDO elastomer films...
- The influence of ligation on frictional resistance to sliding during repeated displacementNathawut Sirisaowaluk
School of Dentistry, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Aust Orthod J 22:141-6. 2006..To determine if the type of ligation influences the frictional resistance between stainless steel wire and brackets when the wire is subjected to repeated vertical displacements...
- Working time of elastomeric impression materials: relevance of rheological testsMarkus Balkenhol
Department of Prosthetic Dentistry, School of Dental Medicine, Justus Liebig University, Giessen, Germany
Am J Dent 20:347-52. 2007..To study possible relationships between rheological parameters of elastomeric impression materials and their dimensional accuracy at different stages during setting within the manufacturers' recommended working time...
- In vitro frictional forces generated by three different ligation methodsPaola Gandini
Department of Orthodontics, the University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Angle Orthod 78:917-21. 2008..To test the hypothesis that there is no difference between the frictional forces produced by a passive self-ligating bracket (SLB) in vitro and a conventional bracket (CB) used with two types of elastomeric ligatures...
- Influence of surface modification on friction coefficient of the titanium-elastomer coupleWiesław Chladek
Department of Process Modelling and Medical Engineering, Faculty of Materials Science and Metallurgy, Silesian University of Technology, ul Krasinskiego 8, 40 019 Katowice, Poland
Acta Bioeng Biomech 9:17-25. 2007..The study carried out allows us to identify the roughness parameters, which in turn will enable obtaining the prescribed retention force for friction/membrane couplings...
- Orthodontic treatment with preadjusted appliances and low-friction ligatures: experimental evidence and clinical observationsTiziano Baccetti
Department of Orthodontics, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
World J Orthod 9:7-13. 2008..To describe the features of low-friction ligatures during the leveling and aligning phase of fixed appliance therapy with preadjusted brackets...
- Poly (ricinoleic acid) based novel thermosetting elastomerHiroki Ebata
Department of Applied Chemistry, Faculty of Science and Technology, Keio University, Yokohama, Japan
J Oleo Sci 57:315-20. 2008..91 MPa and an elongation at break of 350%...
- An ex vivo laboratory study to determine the static frictional resistance of a variable ligation orthodontic bracket systemJoanna E Haskova
UCL Eastman Dental Institute, London, UK
J Orthod 35:112-8; discussion 110. 2008..To determine the effects of static frictional resistance on varying the ligation technique in a Delta Force bracket system (Ortho Organizers Ltd, Hampton, UK) and using increasing degrees of bracket/archwire angulation to simulate binding...
- Tear strength of five elastomeric impression materials at two setting times and two tearing ratesNathaniel C Lawson
School of Dentistry, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35295 0007, USA
J Esthet Restor Dent 20:186-93. 2008..This study measures the tear strength of six fast and regular set impression materials after different setting times and at different tearing rates...
- Commentary. Tear strength of five elastomeric impression materials at two setting times and two tearing ratesJohn M Powers
Dental Consultants Inc, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Esthet Restor Dent 20:194. 2008
- Effect of silica nanoparticles on reinforcement of poly(phenylene ether) based thermoplastic elastomerSamik Gupta
GE India Technology Centre, EPIP Phase II, Whitefield Road, Bangalore 560066, India
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 8:2114-26. 2008..This extensive study also provided an in-depth conceptual understanding of the PPE based TPE behavior upon reinforcement with silica nanoparticles and silica sol-gel precursors and the effect of reinforcement on recycling behavior...
- Forces in the presence of ceramic versus stainless steel brackets with unconventional vs conventional ligaturesTiziano Baccetti
Department of Orthodontics, The University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Angle Orthod 78:120-4. 2008....
- Surface detail reproduction of elastomeric impression materials related to rheological propertiesMatthew J German
School of Dental Sciences, Newcastle University, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Dent Mater 24:951-6. 2008..The purpose of this work was to discern, for elastomeric impression materials, the important rheological properties and importance of hydrophilicity for detail reproduction...
- Hydrogel-elastomer composite biomaterials: 4. Experimental optimization of hydrogel-elastomer composite fibers for use as a wound dressingHenry T Peng
Defence Research and Development Canada Toronto, 1133 Sheppard Avenue West, Toronto, ON, Canada M3M 3B9
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:1803-13. 2008..These results, taken together with our previous studies, suggest that our biomaterial would provide a combination of mechanical and swelling properties suitable for wound dressing applications...
- Mimicking a Stenocara beetle's back for microcondensation using plasmachemical patterned superhydrophobic-superhydrophilic surfacesR P Garrod
Department of Chemistry, Science Laboratories, Durham University, Durham, England, U K
Langmuir 23:689-93. 2007..Potential applications include fog harvesting, microfluidics, and biomolecule immobilization...
- Preparation and bioactivity of novel multiblock thermoplastic elastomer/tricalcium phosphate compositesM el Fray
Szczecin University of Technology, Polymer Institute, Szczecin, Poland
J Mater Sci Mater Med 18:501-6. 2007..In vitro investigations demonstrated an increase in cytocompatibility with increasing amount of beta-TCP up to 20 vol%...
- Experimental evaluation of latex-free orthodontic elastics' behaviour in dynamicsPaola Gandini
University of Pisa, Department of Orthodontics, Pisa, Italy
Prog Orthod 8:88-99. 2007..Thereafter, the nonlatex elastics lost a larger force (p < .01). The test results suggest that latex-free elastics must be replaced more frequently than conventional latex elastics...
- Effect of disinfecting solutions on the mechanical properties of orthodontic elastomeric ligaturesMaylani B Evangelista
Dental Biomaterials, Marquette University, Milwaukee, WI 53201 1881, USA
Angle Orthod 77:681-7. 2007..To assess the effect extended exposure to disinfectant solutions has on the tensile load at failure and glass transition temperature (T(g)) of orthodontic elastomeric ligatures...
- Buffing dust as a filler of carboxylated butadiene-acrylonitrile rubber and butadiene-acrylonitrile rubberK Chronska
Technical University of Lodz, Institute of Polymers, 90 924 Lodz, ul Stefanowskiego 12 16, Poland
J Hazard Mater 151:348-55. 2008..scientific literature rarely reports studies on dust management, especially on its utilization as a filler for elastomers. In this connection we have made an attempt to use this leather waste as a filler for rubbers such as XNBR and ..
- Hydrogel-elastomer composite biomaterials: 3. Effects of gelatin molecular weight and type on the preparation and physical properties of interpenetrating polymer networksHenry T Peng
Defence Research and Development Canada Toronto, 1133 Sheppard Avenue West, P O Box 2000, Toronto, ON, Canada M3M 3B9
J Mater Sci Mater Med 19:997-1007. 2008....
- The effect of ligation on the load deflection characteristics of nickel titanium orthodontic wireShugo Kasuya
Department of Orthodontic, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Eur J Orthod 29:578-82. 2007..NiTi wire exhibited the majority of its true superelasticity with SL, whereas EL may act as a restraint on its superelasticity...
- Seamless tubular poly(glycerol sebacate) scaffolds: high-yield fabrication and potential applicationsPeter M Crapo
Wallace H Coulter Department of Biomedical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30332, USA
J Biomed Mater Res A 86:354-63. 2008..When seeded with smooth muscle cells in a bioreactor, the optimized scaffolds retained 74% of cells, which proliferated and formed a confluent cellular layer after 21 days of in vitro culture...
- Fatigue failure of as-received and retrieved NiTi orthodontic archwiresC Bourauel
Cendres Métaux Endowed Chair of Oral Technology, School of Dentistry, Bonn University, Germany
Dent Mater 24:1095-101. 2008..To investigate the fracture resistance of as-received and retrieved NiTi archwires...
- Ultrafast excited-state dynamics of nanoscale near-infrared emissive polymersomesTimothy V Duncan
Department of Chemistry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:9773-84. 2008....
- Strength decay of orthodontic elastomeric ligaturesT V Lam
University of Queensland, Australia
J Orthod 29:37-43. 2002..To evaluate, over a 12-week period, the tensile strength (TS) and extension to TS of elastomeric ligatures (both clear and coloured) obtained from two companies...
- Effects of cyclic loading on viscoelastic properties of soft lining materialsGaku Muraoka
Department of Masticatory Function Rehabilitation, Advanced Biomaterials, Department of Restorative Science Division of Oral Health Science, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University 1 5 45 Yushima Bunkyo ku Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
Dent Mater J 22:251-61. 2003..The cyclic loading affected mainly delayed deformations. Therefore, cyclic loading was a useful method for evaluating the durability of soft lining material...
- Effects of ligation type and method on the resistance to sliding of novel orthodontic brackets with second-order angulation in the dry and wet statesGlenys A Thorstenson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Angle Orthod 73:418-30. 2003..Thus, these different ligation types and methods only affected the classical frictional component of RS in the passive configuration...
- Properties of elastomeric calcium phosphate cement-chitosan compositesShozo Takagi
American Dental Association Health Foundation, Paffenbarger Research Center, Polymers Division, National Institute of Standards and Technology, Gaithersburg, MD 20899 USA
Dent Mater 19:797-804. 2003..For some applications it is desirable to have CPC in a non-rigid resorbable elastomeric matrix. In the present study, chitosan was evaluated as the matrix for preparing CPC-chitosan composites...
- Biodegradable, elastic shape-memory polymers for potential biomedical applicationsAndreas Lendlein
mnemoScience GmbH, Pauwelsstrabetae 19, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
Science 296:1673-6. 2002..A smart degradable suture was created to illustrate the potential of these shape-memory thermoplastics in biomedical applications...
- Analytical modelling of the elastomeric layer in soft layer hip replacementsA Strozzi
Dept Scienze dell Ingegneria, Faculty of Engineering, University of Modena, Italy
Proc Inst Mech Eng H 214:69-81. 2000....
- The effect of ligation method on friction in sliding mechanicsMax Hain
Orthodontic Unit, School of Dentistry, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 123:416-22. 2003..Loosely tied stainless steel ligatures were found to generate the least friction...
- Giant hexagonal superstructures in diblock-copolymer membranesChristopher K Haluska
Max Planck Institut fur Kolloid und Grenzflachenforschung, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Phys Rev Lett 89:238302. 2002..Experimentally found shape classes are identified within a theoretical phase diagram based on the bending energy of the polymer membrane. Pronounced morphological changes could be induced and controlled by temperature...
- Synthesis and characterization of elastic PLGA/PCL/PLGA tri-block copolymersSeung Ho Choi
Department of Biological Sciences, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Taejon 305 701, South Korea
J Biomater Sci Polym Ed 13:1163-73. 2002..0 and 19.8 MPa) and showed controllable degradability over a 2-month period depending on the monomer composition...
- Characterization of electrochemically deposited polypyrrole using magnetoelastic material transduction elementsArzu Ersöz
Department of Chemistry, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40506 0055, USA
Anal Chem 74:4050-3. 2002..Increases in pyrrole deposition correlated with a decrease in the peak resonance frequency of the magnetoelastic alloy. This technique provides a novel approach by which one can monitor electrochemical processes...
- An evaluation of elastomeric impression materials based on surface compressive strengthK Omori
Department of Dental Materials Science, Kagoshima University Dental School, Kagoshima, Japan
J Oral Rehabil 28:320-7. 2001..At 450 s from the setting time of all materials, there was an adequate correlation (r = 0.84) between measured values and theoretical values derived using the theory of elasticity...
- Materials-induced variation in the torque expression of preadjusted appliancesChristiana Gioka
Biomaterials Laboratory, Section of Basic Sciences and Oral Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 125:323-8. 2004..Based on the evidence available, it is proposed that a high-torque prescription should be selected to account for the lack of full expression of the prescribed torque that occurs clinically...
- Hemocompatibilty of new ionic polyurethanes: influence of carboxylic group insertion modesL Poussard
UMR 6522 Polymères Biopolymères Membranes, L2M, INSA de Rouen, Mont Saint Aignan cedex 76131, France
Biomaterials 25:3473-83. 2004..On the contrary, no platelet morphology changes were observed on the S-alpha ionic surfaces. In conclusion, insertion of carboxyl groups on the soft segments of PUs reduces their thrombogenicity...
- On the feasibility of elastic wave visualization within polymeric solids using magnetic resonance elastographyAnthony J Romano
Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC 20375, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 116:125-32. 2004..Based on these considerations, the MRE technique is modified in a straightforward manner and used to directly visualize shear wave displacements within two polymeric materials, one of which is relatively stiff...
- A live bioprobe for studying diatom-surface interactionsFernando Teran Arce
Department of Physics, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
Biophys J 87:4284-97. 2004..A statistical analysis of force curves was carried out and the average values of works of detachment of a diatom from Intersleek and mica surfaces were determined...
- Tensile properties of orthodontic elastomeric chainsT Eliades
Biomaterials Science Unit, Dental School, University of Manchester, UK
Eur J Orthod 26:157-62. 2004..Similarly, no correlation was identified between specimen treatment and the tensile strength of elastomers. The toughness results were not consistent with the group rankings for tensile strength, probably because of ..
- [Development of artificial disc nucleus materials (semicrystalline polyvinyl alcohol hydrogel elastomers)]Zhengqiu Gu
School of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing, Beijing 100083, China
Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi 21:347-9. 2004For the purpose of developing of disc nucleus replacement (semicrystalline PVA hydrogel elastomers) and explorating the possibility of clinical application, in this study,the aqueous PVA solution froze at -20 degrees C for 6-12 h, and ..
- From supramolecular polymersomes to stimuli-responsive nano-capsules based on poly(diene-b-peptide) diblock copolymersF Chécot
Laboratoire de Chimie des Polymeres Organiques, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Chimie et Physique de Bordeaux, Universite Bordeaux 1, 16 Avenue Pey Berland, 33607 Pessac, France
Eur Phys J E Soft Matter 10:25-35. 2003....
- Synthesis, characterization and in vitro degradation of a biodegradable elastomerH M Younes
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alta, Canada T6G 2N8
Biomaterials 25:5261-9. 2004..The elastomers had very low glass transitions (-32 degrees C), sol contents ranging from 17% to 37%, and were soft and weak ..
- Optimising medical elastomer performanceLecon Woo
Baxter Healthcare, Round Lake, Illinois 60073 0490, USA
Med Device Technol 15:12-6. 2004....
- [Report on health status of residents in areas with industrial, mining or military sites in Sardinia, Italy]Annibale Biggeri
Dipartimento di statistica G Parenti, Universita di Firenze
Epidemiol Prev 30:5-95. 2006..The areas have been named after the most important town, as listed below (in brackets rounded 2001 population), major activities in industrial areas are briefly described...
- A survey of occupational exposure to 4,4'-methylene-bis (2-chloroaniline) (MbOCA) in the UKJ Cocker
Health and Safety Laboratory, Harpur Hill, Buxton, Derbyshire SK17 9JN, UK
Ann Occup Hyg 53:499-507. 2009..MbOCA) in a representative cross section of workplaces that use it to manufacture polyurethane elastomers. The study also aimed to investigate whether controls and guidance could be improved and to investigate exposure ..
- Persistence of antimicrobial activity through sustained release of triclosan from pegylated silicone elastomersMarcella C McBride
McClay Research Centre, School of Pharmacy, Queen s University Belfast, 97 Lisburn Road, Belfast BT9 7BL, Northern Ireland, UK
Biomaterials 30:6739-47. 2009..Non-pegylated silicone elastomers provided an increased percentage release of triclosan extending over a relatively short duration (99% release by ..
- Bonding of maxillofacial silicone elastomers to an acrylic substrateMuhanad M Hatamleh
Biomaterials Research Group, School of Dentistry, University of Manchester, Higher Cambridge Street, Manchester, UK
Dent Mater 26:387-95. 2010To investigate the effect of three different primers on shear and peel bond strengths between three maxillofacial silicone elastomers and an acrylic resin after 360 h of accelerated daylight-aging.
- Candida albicans adherence on silicone elastomers: effect of polymerisation duration and exposure to simulated saliva and nasal secretionHuseyin Kurtulmus
Ege University, Faculty of Dentistry, Department of Prosthodontics, Izmir, Turkey
Dent Mater 26:76-82. 2010The surfaces of maxillo-facial prostheses made of silicone elastomers exposed to soft tissues may interact with saliva and nasal secretion...
- Novel percolation phenomena and mechanism of strengthening elastomers by nanofillersZhenhua Wang
Key Laboratory of Beijing City on Preparation and Processing of Novel Polymer Materials at Beijing University of Chemical Technology, 100029, PR China
Phys Chem Chem Phys 12:3014-30. 2010Nano-strengthening by employing nanoparticles is necessary for high-efficiency strengthening of elastomers, which has already been validated by numerous researches and industrial applications, but the underlying mechanism is still an open ..
- Interactions of pigments and opacifiers on color stability of MDX4-4210/type A maxillofacial elastomers subjected to artificial agingSudarat Kiat-Amnuay
Department of Restorative Dentistry and Biomaterials, University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston, 77030, USA
J Prosthet Dent 95:249-57. 2006The color instability and degradation of maxillofacial elastomers limit the function and cosmetic quality of facial prostheses.
- Characterization of the toxicity, mutagenicity, and carcinogenicity of methacrylonitrile in F344 Rats and B6C3F1 miceAbraham Nyska
Laboratory of Experimental Pathology, MD B3 06, Environmental Toxicology Program, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences NIEHS, National Institutes of Health, PO Box 12233, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Arch Toxicol 77:233-42. 2003..It is widely used in the preparation of homopolymers and copolymers, elastomers, and plastics, and as a chemical intermediate in the preparation of acids, amides, amines, esters, and other ..
- Regenerative Integration of Percutaneous ImplantsPHIL GORDON CAMPBELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..Biodegradable elastomers will be used as the bulk material in percutaneous implants because of the ability to match the mechanical ..
- NMR studies of the effects of mode of birth on vaginal elastinGregory Boutis; Fiscal Year: 2013..A key characteristic of this protein that distinguishes it from other elastomers is that its function hinges on hydration only hydrated elastin retains its elasticity...
- A new multiphase polymeric material for cushion-bearing orthopedic implantsBRUCE LAWRENCE CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, they often lead to a decrease in range of motion for the patient. Cushion bearings based on elastomers can prevent brittle fracture since elastomers are highly compliant...
- Novel Polymers for Tissue EngineeringROBERT SAMUEL LANGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this renewal grant is to use our existing biodegradable and biocompatible elastomers that can be tailored for specific soft tissue applications, to develop new approaches for treating intestinal ..
- Bio-monitoring Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) exposure and body burdenADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2010..e. during application. MDI is widely used in making flexible and rigid foams, coatings, elastomers and numerous other polyurethane-based products...
- Bio-monitoring Methylene Diphenyl Diisocyanate (MDI) exposure and body burdenADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2012..e. during application. MDI is widely used in making flexible and rigid foams, coatings, elastomers and numerous other polyurethane-based products...
- Bionic Trans-Tibial ProsthesesPHILIP ANTHONY VOGLEWEDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): Current below the knee (trans-tibial) prostheses utilize elaborate springs and elastomers to store and dissipate energy during ambulation...
- NON-ALLERGENIC SURGICAL GLOVES AND CONDOMSJOHN GARDON; Fiscal Year: 2000..The accelerators used for vulcanization cause milder Type IV allergies. - The protein-free synthetic elastomers of this project are not vulcanized; they are chemically crosslinked...
- LONG TERM BIODEGRADATION OF ELASTOMERS MATERIALSP Hiltner; Fiscal Year: 2003..in our laboratory, directed toward a fundamental understanding of biocompatibility and biostability of PU elastomers, have led to a hypothesis for the cell/polymer feedback control mechanism of in vivo biodegradation...
- LONG TERM BIODEGRADATION OF ELASTOMERS MATERIALSP Hiltner; Fiscal Year: 2001..in our laboratory, directed toward a fundamental understanding of biocompatibility and biostability of PU elastomers, have led to a hypothesis for the cell/polymer feedback control mechanism of in vivo biodegradation...
- Mechanistic studies of PHB biosynthesisPing Li; Fiscal Year: 2009..They display material properties ranging from thermoplastics to elastomers. An important characteristic of PHAs is their inherent biodegradability in various environments or biosystems...
- 2012-Directed Differentiation of Stem Cells to Cardiomyocytes Using Optically ActAnastasios John Hart; Fiscal Year: 2013..The replica structures will be cast using photoactive liquid crystal elastomers (LCEs)...
- Polyhydroxyalkanoates: A paradigm for non-template dependent polymerizationsJoAnne Stubbe; Fiscal Year: 2009..PHAs are of general interest as they possess properties that range from thermoplastics to elastomers (depending on the substrate) and are biodegradable...
- NEW BIOMEDICAL INTERFACE MATERIALSRoger Marchant; Fiscal Year: 1992..for use as interface materials on biomedical substrates which include metals, semicrystalline plastics, and elastomers; (2) evaluate the potential of plasma synthesis methods for preparing surfaces with specific chemical ..
- ELASTOMERIC POLYPEPTIDE VASCULAR MATERIALSDAN URRY; Fiscal Year: 1990..The specific aims are: 1) to design polypeptide elastomers which match the compliance of the small vessels to be replaced, 2) to identify and suitably incorporate ..
- ENHANCED DURABILITY OF BIOPROSTHETIC HEART VALVESMichael Sacks; Fiscal Year: 2004..Determine how chemical treatment alters cuspal layer micromechanics. 2. Quantify PBHV cuspal deformation during the cardiac cycle. 3. Determine how long-term cyclic fatigue alters PBHV later structure and mechanical properties. ..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR TARGETING OF TMJ DESTRUCTIONDAVID TIPTON; Fiscal Year: 2002..It is hoped that completion of these three aims will provide a detailed knowledge of the biological basis of TMJ destruction via synovial fibroblasts and MMP pathway. ..
- MECHANISM(S) OF CHEMICAL LEUKEMOGENESISRichard Irons; Fiscal Year: 2002..A. in specific sub-populations of CD34+ human BM cells. Finally, patterns of gene expression will be correlated with genotype, phenotype and functional clonogenic response in BM cells obtained from patients with MDS or evolving sAML. ..
- INTERFACE MECHANICS, MATERIALS, AND TISSUE RESPONSEJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Braille Display Using EAPQiming Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Isocyanate Antigens and T-cells that Cause AsthmaADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2005..Together the results should provide significant insights into the pathogenesis of diisocyanate asthma. ..
- Human Lung gamma/delta T cells, Antigens and FunctionsADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of these experiments should provide important insights into the role of airway mucosal gamma/delta T cells in maintaining human pulmonary immune homeostasis. ..
- New Serodiagnostics for Isocyanate Exposure, A Major Cause of Occupational AsthmaADAM WISNEWSKI; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Assessment of Tissue Response to StressJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2006..this technology could be applied to other areas of rehabilitation, for example, shoe design for patients with insensate feet, cushion design for wheelchair users, and mattress design for bedridden patients [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Skin Adaptation to Mechanical StressJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2006..By understanding the process of skin adaptation (natural skin strengthening) at both a cellular and molecular level, therapies to encourage skin adaptation before breakdown occurs can be intelligently pursued. ..
- INTERFACE MECHANICS, MATERIALS AND TISSUE RESPONSEJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2007..The development of methods to predict and overcome the detrimental effects of residual limb shape change and ultimately prevent soft-tissue breakdown will help to prevent secondary disability and morbidity in the amputee population. ..
- Braille Display with Electroactive Polymer ActuatorsQiming Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2006..This combined expertise provides unique opportunity to develop these compact actuators to be directly transitioned to practical refreshable graphite Braille display and full page Braille display. ..
- Mussel-Inspired Protective CoatingsJOHN WAITE; Fiscal Year: 2006..All films will be evaluated by macro- and nanomechanical tests, and their resistance to a diverse range of biochemical, thermal, and mechanical insults will be examined. ..
- NEW BIOMATERIALS TO MINIMIZE SCAR TISSUE FORMATIONJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2002..e. soft-tissue complications that require surgical repair through use of a biomaterial. The new materials will prevent scar tissue formation and reduce the occurrence of secondary complications. ..
- PREVENTION OF DENTAL CARIESShozo Takagi; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- ROBUST PROTEIN FROM MUSSEL BYSSUSJOHN WAITE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The outcome of these should be of particular relevance to the design of scaffolding biomaterials with a wide range of mechanical properties. ..
- INTERFACE MECHANICS, MATERIALS, AND TISSUE RESPONSEJoan Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Biomimetic Blades: Mincing with Less MineralJOHN WAITE; Fiscal Year: 2005..The chief health benefits of this research will be insights about lightweight replacement materials with superior hardness and abrasion resistance. ..