- Transgenic expression of matrix metalloproteinase-9 causes adult-onset emphysema in mice associated with the loss of alveolar elastin
Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 294:L1149-57. 2008
..significantly different between wild-type and transgenic mice, but MMP-9 did significantly decrease alveolar wall elastin at 1 yr of age (4.9+/-0.3% area of alveolar wall in the littermate mice vs. 3.3+/-0...
- Elastin degradation and vascular smooth muscle cell phenotype change precede cell loss and arterial medial calcification in a uremic mouse model of chronic kidney disease
Department of Bioengineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Pathol 178:764-73. 2011
..b>Elastin turnover and vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) phenotype change were early events, detected by week 4 and before ..
- Assessment of atherosclerotic plaque burden with an elastin-specific magnetic resonance contrast agent
Marcus R Makowski
King s College London, Division of Imaging Sciences and Biomedical Engineering, British Heart Foundation BHF Centre of Excellence, London, UK
Nat Med 17:383-8. 2011
..Here we introduce an elastin-specific magnetic resonance contrast agent (ESMA) for noninvasive quantification of plaque burden in a mouse ..
- New evidence for a critical role of elastin in calcification of native heart valves: immunohistochemical and ultrastructural study with literature review
Department of Ecology, University of Calabria, Rende, Cosenza, Italy
Histopathology 59:504-13. 2011
..The aim of this study was to determine whether the onset of native calcific aortic stenosis is associated primarily with matrix remodelling events, and particularly with elastin degradation.
- Evaluation of cell penetrating peptides fused to elastin-like polypeptide for drug delivery
Department of Biochemistry, University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 North State Street, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
J Control Release 108:396-408. 2005
..In this study, the efficiency and mechanism of cellular uptake of the CPPs penetratin, Tat, and MTS fused to elastin-like polypeptides (CPP-ELP) were evaluated...
- Systemic elastin degradation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
John D Maclay
ELEGI Colt Laboratory, Queen s Medical Research Institute, The University of Edinburgh, 47 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 4TJ, UK
Thorax 67:606-12. 2012
Development of emphysema and vascular stiffness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) may be due to a common mechanism of susceptibility to pulmonary and systemic elastin degradation.
- Elastin biosynthesis: The missing link in tissue-engineered blood vessels
Department of Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Cardiovasc Res 71:40-9. 2006
..In elastic and muscular arteries, elastin is a critical structural and regulatory matrix protein and plays an important and dominant role by conferring ..
- Urokinase-generated plasmin activates matrix metalloproteinases during aneurysm formation
Centre for Transgene Technology and Gene Therapy, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology, University of Leuven, Belgium
Nat Genet 17:439-44. 1997
- A critical role for elastin signaling in vascular morphogenesis and disease
Satyajit K Karnik
Program in Human Molecular Biology and Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA
Development 130:411-23. 2003
..Previously, we demonstrated that the disruption of the elastin matrix leads to defective arterial morphogenesis...
- Proline and glycine control protein self-organization into elastomeric or amyloid fibrils
Molecular Structure and Function Programme, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Structure 14:1667-76. 2006
b>Elastin provides extensible tissues, including arteries and skin, with the propensity for elastic recoil, whereas amyloid fibrils are associated with tissue-degenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's...
- Cell penetrating elastin-like polypeptides for therapeutic peptide delivery
Gene L Bidwell
University of Mississippi Medical Center, Department of Biochemistry, Jackson, 39216, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 62:1486-96. 2010
..This review article summarizes the development of elastin-like polypeptide (ELP) as a potential carrier for thermally targeted delivery of therapeutic peptides (TP), and ..
- Genetically encoded synthesis of protein-based polymers with precisely specified molecular weight and sequence by recursive directional ligation: examples from the elastin-like polypeptide system
Dan E Meyer
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Box 90281, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 0281, USA
Biomacromolecules 3:357-67. 2002
..We used this method to synthesize three different libraries of elastin-like polypeptides (ELPs); each library encodes a unique ELP sequence with systematically varied molecular weights...
- Platelet inhibition and endothelial cell adhesion on elastin-like polypeptide surface modified materials
Patrick H Blit
Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biomaterials 32:5790-800. 2011
..Materials surface modified with fluorinated surface modifiers, containing peptides inspired from elastin cross-linking domains, have been used for the cross-linking of elastin-like polypeptide 4 (ELP4) macromolecules ..
- Expression and purification of recombinant proteins from Escherichia coli: Comparison of an elastin-like polypeptide fusion with an oligohistidine fusion
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Protein Sci 13:3274-84. 2004
Thermally responsive elastin like polypeptides (ELPs) can be used to purify proteins from Escherichia coli culture when proteins are expressed as a fusion with an ELP...
- Effects of Arg-Gly-Asp-modified elastin-like polypeptide on pseudoislet formation via up-regulation of cell adhesion molecules and extracellular matrix proteins
Kyeong Min Lee
Laboratory of Biochemistry and Cellular Engineering, Division of NanoBio Technology, Daegu Gyeongbuk Institute of Science and Technology, Daegu 711 873, South Korea
Acta Biomater 9:5600-8. 2013
..An RGD-modified elastin-like polypeptide (RGD-ELP), TGPG[VGRGD(VGVPG)(6)](20)WPC, has been reported previously as a bioactive matrix...
- In vivo tumor targeting by a NGR-decorated micelle of a recombinant diblock copolypeptide
Andrew J Simnick
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
J Control Release 155:144-51. 2011
..To this end we utilized amphiphilic block copolymers, composed of a genetically engineered elastin-like polypeptide (ELP) that self-assemble into monodisperse spherical micelles...
- Fabrication of elastin-like polypeptide nanoparticles for drug delivery by electrospraying
Center for Biologicallyh Inspired Materials and Material Systems, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Pratt School of Engineering, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Biomacromolecules 10:19-24. 2009
..These particles are composed from genetically engineered elastin-like polypeptides (ELPs), a biodegradable, biocompatible, and bioresponsive polymer...
- Elastin as a biomaterial for tissue engineering
W F Daamen
Department of Biochemistry 280, NCMLS, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Biomaterials 28:4378-98. 2007
Biomaterials based upon elastin and elastin-derived molecules are increasingly investigated for their application in tissue engineering...
- In patients with pseudoxanthoma elasticum a thicker and more elastic carotid artery is associated with elastin fragmentation and proteoglycans accumulation
Department of Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ultrasound Med Biol 30:1041-8. 2004
..Indeed, elastin fragmentation and increased calcium and proteoglycans content were present in the arteries of the two PXE ..
- Elastin changes during chronological and photo-ageing: the important role of lysozyme
L Oreal Recherche, Clichy, France
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:980-7. 2006
..We aimed to investigate qualitative and quantitative changes of dermal elastin fibres during cutaneous chronological and photo-ageing and the involvement of lysozyme in these processes...
- Genetic synthesis and characterization of pH- and temperature-sensitive silk-elastinlike protein block copolymers
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Maryland School of Pharmacy, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
J Biomed Mater Res 62:195-203. 2002
..and temperature-sensitive block copolymer containing repeating sequences from silk (Gly-Ala-Gly-Ala-Gly-Ser) and elastin (Gly-Val-Gly-Val-Pro) protein...
- Layer-by-layer assembly of chitosan and recombinant biopolymers into biomimetic coatings with multiple stimuli-responsive properties
Rui R Costa
3B s Research Group Biomaterials, Biodegradables and Biomimetics, University of Minho, Avepark, Zona Industrial da Gandra, São Cláudio do Barco, 4806 909 Caldas das Taipas, Guimaraes, Portugal
Small 7:2640-9. 2011
In this work, biomimetic smart thin coatings using chitosan and a recombinant elastin-like recombinamer (ELR) containing the cell attachment sequence arginine-glycine-(aspartic acid) (RGD) are fabricated through a layer-by-layer approach...
- The elastin fiber system between and adjacent to collector channels in the human juxtacanalicular tissue
Cheryl R Hann
Department of Ophthalmology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:45-50. 2011
To determine the composition and investigate the elastin fiber system in the juxtacanalicular tissue adjacent to and between collector channel orifices in normal human eyes.
- Elastin in large artery stiffness and hypertension
Jessica E Wagenseil
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Saint Louis University, 3507 Lindell Blvd, St Louis, MO 63103, USA
J Cardiovasc Transl Res 5:264-73. 2012
..The extracellular matrix components, specifically the mix of elastin and collagen in the vessel wall, determine the passive mechanical properties of the large arteries...
- Intracellular degradation of elastin by cathepsin K in skin fibroblasts--a possible role in photoaging
Katerine A Codriansky
Department of Dermatology, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Photochem Photobiol 85:1356-63. 2009
Solar elastosis is observed in the dermis of photoaged skin and is characterized by an accumulation of abnormal elastin in the extracellular space...
- Ageing of the conduit arteries
S E Greenwald
Pathology Group, Institute of Cell and Molecular Science, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London
J Pathol 211:157-72. 2007
..with age due to alterations in their morphology and the composition of the their major structural proteins, elastin and collagen...
- Design and cellular internalization of genetically engineered polypeptide nanoparticles displaying adenovirus knob domain
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Southern California, 1985 Zonal Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90033, United States
J Control Release 155:218-26. 2011
..These particles are predominantly composed from diblock copolymers of elastin-like polypeptide (ELP)...
- The role of elastin peptides in modulating the immune response in aging and age-related diseases
Research Center on Aging, University of Sherbrooke, 1036, rue Belvedere Sud, Sherbrooke, QC, J1H 4C4, Canada
Pathol Biol (Paris) 60:28-33. 2012
..as cytomegalovirus, from tumor antigens or from other sources such as the extracellular matrix, especially from elastin fibres and collagens...
- Mechanical failure, stress redistribution, elastase activity and binding site availability on elastin during the progression of emphysema
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Boston University, 44 Cummington Street, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 25:268-75. 2012
..Next, we specifically discuss recent findings that stretching of elastin induces an increase in the binding off rate of elastase to elastin as well as unfolds hidden binding sites along ..
- A study on polymorphisms of elastin gene in Chinese Han patients with isolated systolic hypertension
Department of Cardiology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, China
Am J Hypertens 22:656-62. 2009
b>Elastin (ELN) is mainly located in the internal elastic lamina of large arteries. Degradation of ELN is expected to induce large vessel stiffness, which could lead to elderly systolic hypertension...
- New insights into the pathogenesis of autosomal-dominant cutis laxa with report of five ELN mutations
Center for Medical Genetics, Ghent University Hospital, Ghent, Belgium
Hum Mutat 32:445-55. 2011
..Electron microscopy revealed elastic fiber fragmentation and diminished dermal elastin deposition. RT-PCR studies showed stable mutant mRNA in all patients...
- Structural determinants of cross-linking and hydrophobic domains for self-assembly of elastin-like polypeptides
Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
Biochemistry 44:14367-75. 2005
b>Elastin is a major structural protein found in large blood vessels, lung, ligaments, and skin, imparting the physical properties of extensibility and elastic recoil to these tissues...
- Tunable self-assembly of genetically engineered silk--elastin-like protein polymers
Xiao Xia Xia
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts 02155, United States
Biomacromolecules 12:3844-50. 2011
Silk--elastin-like protein polymers (SELPs), consisting of the repeating units of silk and elastin blocks, combine a set of outstanding physical and biological properties of silk and elastin...
- Differential expression of lysyl oxidases LOXL1 and LOX during growth and aging suggests specific roles in elastin and collagen fiber remodeling in rat aorta
INSERM, U698, Hopital Bichat, Paris, Universite Paris 7, France
Rejuvenation Res 11:883-9. 2008
..Lysyl oxidases catalyze a key step in the posttranslational cross-linking of elastin and collagens in the ECM...
- Association of elastin gene polymorphism to age-related macular degeneration and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 52:8780-4. 2011
To see if there is an association in Japanese between elastin gene (ELN) polymorphisms and neovascular age-related macular degeneration (AMD) or its subtypes, typical AMD (tAMD) and polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV).
- Electrospinning collagen and elastin: preliminary vascular tissue engineering
Eugene D Boland
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298 0694, USA
Front Biosci 9:1422-32. 2004
..have pioneered the electrospinning of micro- and nano-fibrous scaffoldings from the natural polymers collagen and elastin and applied these to development of biomimicking vascular tissue engineered constructs...
- Cloning and characterization of a unique elastolytic metalloproteinase produced by human alveolar macrophages
S D Shapiro
Department of Medicine, Jewish Hospital, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri 63110
J Biol Chem 268:23824-9. 1993
Human alveolar macrophages have the capacity to degrade elastin. As an approach to define proteinases responsible for this activity, we recently cloned a murine macrophage elastase cDNA and demonstrated that it is a member of the matrix ..
- The elastin gene is disrupted by a translocation associated with supravalvular aortic stenosis
M E Curran
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Cell 73:159-68. 1993
..Pulsed-field gel and Southern analyses showed that a translocation near the elastin gene cosegregated with SVAS in one family...
- The role of elastin and collagen in cutaneous aging: intrinsic aging versus photoexposure
Department of Dermatology and Cutaneous Biology, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, PA, USA
J Drugs Dermatol 7:s12-6. 2008
..Using recombinant DNA technology, it has become possible to demonstrate that UV radiation can activate the human elastin promoter...
- Elastin degradation and calcification in an abdominal aorta injury model: role of matrix metalloproteinases
Dina M Basalyga
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634, USA
Circulation 110:3480-7. 2004
b>Elastin calcification is a widespread feature of vascular pathology, and circumstantial evidence exists for a correlation between elastin degradation and calcification...
- Influence of elastin-like peptide fusions on the quantity and quality of a tobacco-derived human immunodeficiency virus-neutralizing antibody
Doreen M Floss
Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research IPK, Gatersleben, Germany
Plant Biotechnol J 7:899-913. 2009
..Although antibodies are predominantly manufactured using mammalian cells, elastin-like peptide (ELP) fusion technology improves the stability of recombinant, plant-produced proteins and ..
- Changes in the structure-function relationship of elastin and its impact on the proximal pulmonary arterial mechanics of hypertensive calves
Steven R Lammers
Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 295:H1451-9. 2008
..and metallomatrix proteins in affecting vascular stiffness, much less work has been performed on changes in elastin structure-function relationships in PAH...
- The elastin-binding protein of Staphylococcus aureus (EbpS) is expressed at the cell surface as an integral membrane protein and not as a cell wall-associated protein
Microbiology Department, Moyne Institute of Preventive Medicine, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland
J Biol Chem 277:243-50. 2002
The elastin-binding proteins EbpS of Staphylococcus aureus strains Cowan and 8325-4 were predicted from sequence analysis to comprise 486 residues...
Suzanne M Mithieux
School of Molecular and Microbial Biosciences, University of Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
Adv Protein Chem 70:437-61. 2005
b>Elastin is a key extracellular matrix protein that is critical to the elasticity and resilience of many vertebrate tissues including large arteries, lung, ligament, tendon, skin, and elastic cartilage...
- Sequence and structure determinants for the self-aggregation of recombinant polypeptides modeled after human elastin
Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1X8, Canada
J Biol Chem 278:48553-62. 2003
b>Elastin is a polymeric structural protein that imparts the physical properties of extensibility and elastic recoil to tissues...
- Alterations in aortic cellular constituents during thoracic aortic aneurysm development: myofibroblast-mediated vascular remodeling
Jeffrey A Jones
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery Research, Department of Surgery, Medical University of South Carolina, Strom Thurmond Research Building, 114 Doughty Street, Suite 625, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Am J Pathol 175:1746-56. 2009
..that changes in the resident endogenous cellular population accompany alterations in aortic collagen and elastin content during thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) development in a murine model...
- Basic components of connective tissues and extracellular matrix: elastin, fibrillin, fibulins, fibrinogen, fibronectin, laminin, tenascins and thrombospondins
Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Medical Partnership, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 30602 7388, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 802:31-47. 2014
Collagens are the most abundant components of the extracellular matrix and many types of soft tissues. Elastin is another major component of certain soft tissues, such as arterial walls and ligaments...
- Elastin sequences trigger transient proinflammatory responses by human dermal fibroblasts
Jessica F Almine
School of Molecular Bioscience, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
FASEB J 27:3455-65. 2013
..b>Elastin is enriched in the deep dermis of skin...
- Solid-state NMR evidence for elastin-like beta-turn structure in spider dragline silk
Janelle E Jenkins
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Magnetic Resonance Research Center, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287, USA
Chem Commun (Camb) 46:6714-6. 2010
..MAS NMR experiments on (13)C/(15)N-proline labeled Argiope aurantia dragline silk provide evidence for an elastin-like beta-turn structure for the repetitive Gly-Pro-Gly-X-X motif prevalent in major ampullate spidroin 2 (MaSp2).
- Hydroxyapatite and calcified elastin induce osteoblast-like differentiation in rat aortic smooth muscle cells
Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University, USA
Exp Cell Res 323:198-208. 2014
..Intimal calcification related to atherosclerosis and elastin-specific medial arterial calcification (MAC)...
- Interaction between the elastin peptide VGVAPG and human elastin binding protein
Laboratoire de Signalisation et Récepteurs Matriciels, FRE CNRS 3184, Universite de Reims Champagne Ardenne, UFR Sciences Exactes et Naturelles, Moulin de la Housse, BP 1039, 51687 Reims Cedex 2, France
J Biol Chem 288:1317-28. 2013
The elastin binding protein (EBP), a spliced variant of lysosomal β-galactosidase, is the primary receptor of elastin peptides that have been linked to emphysema, aneurysm and cancer progression...
- Cellular response to nanoscale elastin-like polypeptide polyelectrolyte multilayers
Bioengineering and Life Sciences Program, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
Acta Biomater 4:827-37. 2008
Ionic elastin-like polypeptide (ELP) conjugates are a new class of biocompatible, self-assembling biomaterials...
- Applications of elastin-like polypeptides in tissue engineering
Dana L Nettles
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Durham, NC 27708, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 62:1479-85. 2010
b>Elastin-like polypeptides (ELPs) have found utility in tissue engineering applications, not only because they are biocompatible, biodegradable, and non-immunogenic, but also because their amino acid sequence and molecular weight can be ..
- Injury and repair in the very immature lung following brief mechanical ventilation
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 301:L917-26. 2011
..At 1 day after MV, lungs displayed signs of injury, including hemorrhage, disorganized elastin and collagen deposition in the distal airspaces, altered morphology, significantly reduced secondary septal crest ..
- A three-layered electrospun matrix to mimic native arterial architecture using polycaprolactone, elastin, and collagen: a preliminary study
Michael J McClure
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23284 3067, USA
Acta Biomater 6:2422-33. 2010
Throughout native artery, collagen, and elastin play an important role, providing a mechanical backbone, preventing vessel rupture, and promoting recovery under pulsatile deformations...
- Doxycycline inhibits elastin degradation and reduces metalloproteinase activity in a model of aneurysmal disease
J R Boyle
Department of Surgery, Leicester University, United Kingdom
J Vasc Surg 27:354-61. 1998
Abdominal aortic aneurysms are characterized by degradation of the extracellular matrix, with a reduction in the elastin concentration of the arterial media...
- Structure of large arteries: orientation of elastin in rabbit aortic internal elastic lamina and in the elastic lamellae of aortic media
Cardiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Sherbrooke CHUS Sherbrooke, QC, Canada
Microvasc Res 73:95-9. 2007
..used to study the histomorphologic properties of the elastic fibers of rabbit aorta after purification of the elastin by means of hot alkaline treatments...
- Right coronary artery becomes stiffer with increase in elastin and collagen in right ventricular hypertrophy
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Surgery, Cellular and Integrative Physiology, Indiana University Purdue University, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:1338-46. 2009
..We hypothesized that an increase in RCA flow will lead to increased stiffness in conjunction with remodeling of elastin and collagen in the vessel wall. The control and experimental groups consisted of five RCA vessels each...
- Antielastin autoimmunity in tobacco smoking-induced emphysema
Seung Hyo Lee
Department of Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Nat Med 13:567-9. 2007
..These findings link emphysema to adaptive immunity against a specific lung antigen and suggest the potential for autoimmune pathology of other elastin-rich tissues such as the arteries and skin of smokers.
- Morphological and extracellular matrix changes following vocal fold injury in mice
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 192:262-71. 2010
..IHC was specific for procollagen type I, collagen type I, collagen type III, collagen type IV, elastin, decorin, fibronectin and hyaluronic acid binding protein 2...
- Immediate inflammatory response and scar formation in wounded vocal folds
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Wisconsin Madison, USA
Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 115:921-9. 2006
..Thus, we examined the inflammation profile and extracellular matrix production in wounded vocal folds in the acute phase of wound healing...
- Elastin: mutational spectrum in supravalvular aortic stenosis
University Department of Medical Genetics and Regional Genetics Service, St Mary s Hospital, Manchester, UK
Eur J Hum Genet 8:955-63. 2000
..SVAS is caused by translocations, gross deletions and point mutations that disrupt the elastin gene (ELN) on 7q11.23...
- Inhibition of microRNA-29 enhances elastin levels in cells haploinsufficient for elastin and in bioengineered vessels--brief report
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, Amistad Research Bldg, 10 Amistad St, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:756-9. 2012
The goal of this study was to determine whether antagonizing microRNA (miR)-29 enhances elastin (ELN) levels in cells and tissues lacking ELN.
- Degradation of elastin by a cysteine proteinase from Staphylococcus aureus
Institute of Molecular Biology, Jagiellonian University, Cracow, Poland
J Biol Chem 263:2664-7. 1988
..enzymes, a cysteine proteinase, after purification to homogeneity was found to degrade insoluble bovine lung elastin at a rate comparable to human neutrophil elastase...
- Coenzyme Q(10) enhances dermal elastin expression, inhibits IL-1α production and melanin synthesis in vitro
The Space Biology Research and Technology Center, China Aerospace Science and Technology Corporation, Beijing, China
Int J Cosmet Sci 34:273-9. 2012
..In addition, CoQ(10) treatment increased elastin gene expression in cultured fibroblasts and significantly decreased UVR-induced IL-1α production in HaCat cells...
- Modification of elastin by pentosidine is associated with the calcification of aortic media in patients with end-stage renal disease
Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:1601-9. 2003
..The aim of this study was to clarify the role of glycoxidative modification of elastin in the calcification of aortic media in this group of patients.
- Developmental adaptation of the mouse cardiovascular system to elastin haploinsufficiency
Laboratoire de Développement et Vieillissement de l Endothélium, Commisarriat à l Energie Atomique Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Equipq Mixte 0219, Universite Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France
J Clin Invest 112:1419-28. 2003
Supravalvular aortic stenosis is an autosomal-dominant disease of elastin (Eln) insufficiency caused by loss-of-function mutations or gene deletion...
- Intravenous and intramyocardial injection of apoptotic white blood cell suspensions prevents ventricular remodelling by increasing elastin expression in cardiac scar tissue after myocardial infarction
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Christian Doppler Laboratory for Cardiac and Thoracic Diagnosis and Regeneration, Medical University Vienna, Wahringer Gurtel 18 20, Vienna, Austria
Basic Res Cardiol 106:645-55. 2011
..The higher expression of elastic fibres provides passive energy to the cardiac scar tissue and results in prevention of ventricular remodelling...
- Structural disorder and dynamics of elastin
Lisa D Muiznieks
Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada
Biochem Cell Biol 88:239-50. 2010
b>Elastin is a self-assembling, extracellular-matrix protein that is the major provider of tissue elasticity...
- The expression of cross-linked elastin by rabbit blood vessel smooth muscle cells cultured in polyhydroxyalkanoate scaffolds
Shao Ting Cheng
Multidisciplinary Research Center, Shantou University, Shantou 515063, Guangdong, China
Biomaterials 29:4187-94. 2008
..P3HB4HB)s containing 0-40 mol% 4-hydroxybutyrate (4HB) were studied for growth and formation of elastin of rabbit blood vessel smooth muscle cells (RaSMCs) incubated on the solvent-casting polyester films...
- Increased carotid wall elastic modulus and fibronectin in aldosterone-salt-treated rats: effects of eplerenone
INSERM EMI U0107, Paris, France
Circulation 106:2848-53. 2002
..Our aim was to determine the effects of Aldo and the Aldo receptor antagonist eplerenone (Epl) on in vivo mechanical properties of the carotid artery using echo-tracking system...
- Elastin rs2301995 polymorphism is not associated with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in caucasians
Luiz H Lima
Vitreous, Retina, Macula Consultants of New York and the LuEsther T Mertz Retina Research Center, Manhattan Eye, Ear, and Throat Hospital, New York, USA
Ophthalmic Genet 32:80-2. 2011
To investigate the association of the rs2301995 haplotype-tagging single nucleotide polymorphism (htSNP) in the elastin gene (ELN) with polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy (PCV) in European-American patients.
- Sequences and domain structures of mammalian, avian, amphibian and teleost tropoelastins: Clues to the evolutionary history of elastins
Martin I S Chung
Cardiovascular Research Program, Research Institute, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON, Canada M5G1X8
Matrix Biol 25:492-504. 2006
Tropoelastin is the monomeric form of elastin, a polymeric extracellular matrix protein responsible for properties of extensibility and elastic recoil in connective tissues of most vertebrates...
- Elastin is an essential determinant of arterial morphogenesis
D Y Li
Cardiology Division, University of Utah Health Sciences Center, Salt Lake City 84112, USA
Nature 393:276-80. 1998
b>Elastin, the main component of the extracellular matrix of arteries, was thought to have a purely structural role...
- An elastin gene mutation producing abnormal tropoelastin and abnormal elastic fibres in a patient with autosomal dominant cutis laxa
University Department of Medical Genetics and Regional Genetics Service, St Mary s Hospital, Manchester M13 0JH, UK
Hum Mol Genet 7:1021-8. 1998
b>Elastin is the protein responsible for the characteristic elastic properties of many tissues including the skin, lungs and large blood vessels...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-12 leads to elastin degradation in BALB/c mice with eosinophilic meningitis caused by Angiostrongylus cantonensis
P C Wei
Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung 402, Taiwan
Int J Parasitol 41:1175-83. 2011
..The purpose of this study was to determine whether matrix metalloproteinase (MMP)-12 and its substrate elastin participate in this inflammatory response...
- Blood flow interplays with elastin: collagen and MMP: TIMP ratios to maintain healthy vascular structure and function
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky 40202, USA
Vasc Health Risk Manag 6:215-28. 2010
..There was a higher degree of basement membrane collagen in the femoral artery and therefore a low elastin: collagen ratio, while in the carotid artery a higher level of elastin and, therefore, a high elastin: collagen ..
- Neuraminidase-1, a subunit of the cell surface elastin receptor, desialylates and functionally inactivates adjacent receptors interacting with the mitogenic growth factors PDGF-BB and IGF-2
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Am J Pathol 173:1042-56. 2008
We recently established that the elastin-binding protein, which is identical to the spliced variant of beta-galactosidase, forms a cell surface-targeted complex with two proteins considered "classic lysosomal enzymes": protective protein/..
- Mechanism of formation of elastin crosslinks
Department of Applied Bioorganic Chemistry, Division of Life Science, Graduate School of Agricultural Science, Tohoku University, 1 1 Tsutsumidori Amamiyamachi, Aoba ku, Sendai 981 8555, Japan
Connect Tissue Res 41:131-41. 2000
We examined the formation of quaternary pyridinium crosslinks of elastin formed by condensation of lysine and allysine residues using the model compounds propanal (allysine) and n-butylamine (lysine) under quasi-physiological conditions...
- Recombinant human elastin polypeptides self-assemble into biomaterials with elastin-like properties
Catherine M Bellingham
Cardiovascular Research Program, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5E 1X8
Biopolymers 70:445-55. 2003
..One biological example of a protein polymer with potential for self-organization is elastin. Elastin is the extracellular matrix protein that imparts the properties of extensibility and elastic recoil to ..
- A model two-component system for studying the architecture of elastin assembly in vitro
Suzanne M Mithieux
School of Molecular Biosciences, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Struct Biol 149:282-9. 2005
..The oxidized human tropoelastin forms an elastin-like polymer (EL) that is elastic, shows hydrogel behavior and contains typical elastin cross-links including ..
- Silk-elastinlike protein polymers for matrix-mediated cancer gene therapy
Joshua A Gustafson
Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, USA
Adv Drug Deliv Rev 62:1509-23. 2010
Silk-elastinlike protein polymers (SELPs) are recombinant polymers designed from silk fibroin and mammalian elastin amino acid repeats...
- Microstructural and tensile properties of elastin-based polypeptides crosslinked with genipin and pyrroloquinoline quinone
School of Chemical Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biopolymers 85:199-206. 2007
b>Elastin is an elastomeric, self-assembling extracellular matrix protein with potential for use in biomaterials applications...
- Aging, carotid artery distensibility, and the Ser422Gly elastin gene polymorphism in humans
Department of Internal Medicine and INSERM U337, Hopital Broussais, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
Hypertension 38:1185-9. 2001
b>Elastin is a protein of the extracellular matrix that forms the major component of elastic fibers from the arterial wall thickness and plays an important role in elastic properties of large blood vessels...
- Connection between elastin haploinsufficiency and increased cell proliferation in patients with supravalvular aortic stenosis and Williams-Beuren syndrome
Pacific Biomedical Research Center, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA
Am J Hum Genet 71:30-44. 2002
To elucidate the pathomechanism leading to obstructive vascular disease in patients with elastin deficiency, we compared both elastogenesis and proliferation rate of cultured aortic smooth-muscle cells (SMCs) and skin fibroblasts from ..
- Recombinant silk-elastinlike protein polymer displays elasticity comparable to elastin
Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Biomacromolecules 10:3028-36. 2009
..stress-strain analysis, methanol-treated non-cross-linked SELP-47K films exceeded the properties of native aortic elastin, attaining an ultimate tensile strength of 2.5 +/- 0.4 MPa, an elastic modulus of 1.7 +/- 0...
- Possible involvement of increased glycoxidation and lipid peroxidation of elastin in atherogenesis in haemodialysis patients
Second Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Fukuoka University, Fukuoka, Japan
Nephrol Dial Transplant 17:630-6. 2002
..purpose of this study was to test the hypothesis that increased glycoxidation and lipid peroxidation of aortic elastin is implicated in the cardiovascular complications, particularly atherosclerosis, of chronic haemodialysis patients...
- Kinetics and morphology of self-assembly of an elastin-like polypeptide based on the alternating domain arrangement of human tropoelastin
Judith T Cirulis
Molecular Structure and Function Program, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, and Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G1X8
Biochemistry 49:5726-33. 2010
b>Elastin is the polymeric extracellular matrix protein responsible for the properties of extensibility and elastic recoil in tissues such as arterial blood vessels, lung parenchyma, and skin...
- Molecular engineering of silk-elastinlike polymers for matrix-mediated gene delivery: biosynthesis and characterization
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland, 20 North Penn Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Mol Pharm 2:139-50. 2005
..and characterization of a series of new silk-elastinlike protein polymers (SELPs), namely, SELP415K, with larger elastin blocks per monomer unit than SELP47K previously studied for matrix-mediated gene delivery...
- Comparative genomics of elastin: Sequence analysis of a highly repetitive protein
Program in Molecular Structure and Function, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario Canada M5G 1X8
Matrix Biol 26:524-40. 2007
..their sequences, uncovering the evolutionary and functional relationships in highly repetitive proteins such as elastin, spider silks, resilin and abductin represents a significant challenge...
- The effect of secondhand smoke exposure on markers of elastin degradation
Department of Medicine, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY 10019, USA
Chest 140:946-53. 2011
..Secondhand smoke (SHS) exposure is a known risk factor in asthma, bronchitis, and coronary artery disease. Elastin is a recognized target for injury in COPD, and the amino acids desmosine and isodesmosine (D/I), which are ..
- Elastin-derived peptides induce a T-helper type 1 polarization of human blood lymphocytes
Laboratoire d Immunologie, Virologie et Bactériologie, Reims, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1353-8. 2005
Increased level of elastin-derived peptides (EDPs) is observed in the serum of patients with manifestations of arterial diseases...
- Tissue elasticity and the ageing elastic fibre
Michael J Sherratt
Tissue Injury and Repair Group, Faculty of Medical and Human Sciences, The University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Age (Dordr) 31:305-25. 2009
..Elastic fibres are composite structures composed of a cross-linked elastin core and an outer layer of fibrillin microfibrils...
- Elastin fragments drive disease progression in a murine model of emphysema
A McGarry Houghton
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Clin Invest 116:753-9. 2006
..Fractionation of the bronchoalveolar lavage fluid demonstrated the presence of elastin fragments only in the fractions containing chemotactic activity...
- Transplantation of elastin-secreting myoblast sheets improves cardiac function in infarcted rat heart
Department of Molecular Pathology, Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine, Division of Health Sciences, 1 7 Yamada oka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Mol Cell Biochem 368:203-14. 2012
..b>Elastin fiber enhances the extensibility of the infarcted wall and can prevent left ventricular dilation...
- Deficiency of cathepsin S reduces atherosclerosis in LDL receptor-deficient mice
Galina K Sukhova
the Leducq Center for Cardiovascular Research, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Clin Invest 111:897-906. 2003
..CatS(-/-)LDLR(-/-) monocytes showed impaired subendothelial basement membrane transmigration, and aortas from CatS(-/-)LDLR(-/-) mice had preserved elastic laminae. These findings establish a pivotal role for Cat S in atherogenesis...
- Wet-spinning of recombinant silk-elastin-like protein polymer fibers with high tensile strength and high deformability
Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85721, USA
Biomacromolecules 10:602-8. 2009
A recombinant silk-elastin-like protein copolymer SELP-47K containing tandemly repeated amino acid sequence blocks from silk, GAGAGS, and elastin, GVGVP, was fabricated into microdiameter fibers using a wet-spinning technique...
- Elastin-mediated choroidal endothelial cell migration: possible role in age-related macular degeneration
Jessica M Skeie
Center for Macular Degeneration, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:5574-80. 2008
..Altered elastin metabolism has been described in AMD, and the present study sought to determine the effects of elastin-derived ..
- The effect of TGF-beta2 on elastin, type VI collagen, and components of the proteolytic degradation system in human optic nerve astrocytes
Department of Anatomy II, Friedrich Alexander University, Erlangen, Germany
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 49:1464-72. 2008
To investigate the effect of transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta2 on the expression of (1) elastin and type VI collagen (ColVI), (2) extracellular matrix (ECM)-degrading matrix-metalloproteinases (MMPs) and regulators of their activity/..
- Elastin-like polypeptides revolutionize recombinant protein expression and their biomedical application
Doreen M Floss
Institute of Biochemistry, Christian Albrechts University, Olshausenstrasse 40, D 24098 Kiel, Germany
Trends Biotechnol 28:37-45. 2010
b>Elastin-like polypeptides (ELPs) are highly biocompatible and exhibit a potentially highly useful property: that of a thermally responsive reversible phase transition...
- Long-term evaluation of collagen and elastin following infrared (1100 to 1800 nm) irradiation
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto, Japan
J Drugs Dermatol 8:708-12. 2009
Infrared irradiation stimulates collagen production, but histological differences in its long-term effects on type I versus type III collagen and elastin in human tissue are unclear.