Genomes and Genes
Summary: A polysaccharide with glucose units linked as in CELLOBIOSE. It is the chief constituent of plant fibers, cotton being the purest natural form of the substance. As a raw material, it forms the basis for many derivatives used in chromatography, ion exchange materials, explosives manufacturing, and pharmaceutical preparations.
Publications423 found, 100 shown here
- Insights into the oxidative degradation of cellulose by a copper metalloenzyme that exploits biomass componentsR Jason Quinlan
Novozymes, Inc, Davis, CA 95618, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:15079-84. 2011....
- Metagenomic and functional analysis of hindgut microbiota of a wood-feeding higher termiteFalk Warnecke
DOE Joint Genome Institute, 2800 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek, California 94598, USA
Nature 450:560-5. 2007..Only recently have data supported any direct role for the symbiotic bacteria in the gut of the termite in cellulose and xylan hydrolysis...
- Cellulose synthesis in higher plantsChris Somerville
Department of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution, and Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol 22:53-78. 2006b>Cellulose microfibrils play essential roles in the organization of plant cell walls, thereby allowing a growth habit based on turgor...
- Identification of genes required for cellulose synthesis by regression analysis of public microarray data setsStaffan Persson
Department of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:8633-8. 2005..To identify factors involved in cellulose biosynthesis, we used a regression method to analyze 408 publicly available Affymetrix Arabidopsis microarrays...
- Evidence of cellulose metabolism by the giant panda gut microbiomeLifeng Zhu
Key Laboratory of Animal Ecology and Conservation Biology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100101, China and China Wildlife Conservation Association, Beijing 100714, China
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:17714-9. 2011..necessary enzymes associated with a carnivorous digestive system but lacks genes for enzymes needed to digest cellulose, the principal component of their bamboo diet...
- Cellulosic biofuelsAndrew Carroll
Department of Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 60:165-82. 2009..This review describes the major topics of enquiry concerning cellulosic biofuels with an emphasis on those areas of research and development that include research problems of interest to plant biologists...
- Features of promising technologies for pretreatment of lignocellulosic biomassNathan Mosier
Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Department of Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Purdue University, Potter Engineering Center, 500 Central Drive, West Lafayette, IN 47907 2022, USA
Bioresour Technol 96:673-86. 2005..Many physio-chemical structural and compositional factors hinder the enzymatic digestibility of cellulose present in lignocellulosic biomass...
- Visualization of cellulose synthase demonstrates functional association with microtubulesAlexander R Paredez
Department of Biological Sciences, Stanford University, 260 Panama Street, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 312:1491-5. 2006Expression of a functional yellow fluorescent protein fusion to cellulose synthase (CESA) in transgenic Arabidopsis plants allowed the process of cellulose deposition to be visualized in living cells...
- Biomass recalcitrance: engineering plants and enzymes for biofuels productionMichael E Himmel
Chemical and Biosciences Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Science 315:804-7. 2007..To achieve sustainable energy production, it will be necessary to overcome the chemical and structural properties that have evolved in biomass to prevent its disassembly...
- Toward an aggregated understanding of enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose: noncomplexed cellulase systemsYi Heng Percival Zhang
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 88:797-824. 2004Information pertaining to enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose by noncomplexed cellulase enzyme systems is reviewed with a particular emphasis on development of aggregated understanding incorporating substrate features in addition to ..
- The putative endoglucanase PcGH61D from Phanerochaete chrysosporium is a metal-dependent oxidative enzyme that cleaves celluloseBjørge Westereng
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
PLoS ONE 6:e27807. 2011..gene product of an open reading frame in the genome of Phanerochaete chrysosporium, is an enzyme that cleaves cellulose using a metal-dependent oxidative mechanism that leads to generation of aldonic acids...
- The multicellular morphotypes of Salmonella typhimurium and Escherichia coli produce cellulose as the second component of the extracellular matrixX Zogaj
Division of Cell Biology and Immunology, GBF, D 38124 Braunschweig, Germany
Mol Microbiol 39:1452-63. 2001Production of cellulose has been thought to be restricted to a few bacterial species such as the model organism Acetobacter xylinus...
- Systems analysis of plant cell wall degradation by the model filamentous fungus Neurospora crassaChaoguang Tian
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, California Institute for Quantitative Biosciences QB3 Chemistry Mass Spectrometry Facility, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:22157-62. 2009..deletion strain set and whole genome microarrays, we undertook a system-wide analysis of plant cell wall and cellulose degradation. We identified approximately 770 genes that showed expression differences when N...
- Overexpression of two cambium-abundant Chinese fir (Cunninghamia lanceolata) α-expansin genes ClEXPA1 and ClEXPA2 affect growth and development in transgenic tobacco and increase the amount of cellulose in stem cell wallsGuifeng Wang
Key Laboratory of Forest Genetics and Biotechnology, Ministry of Education of China, at Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, China
Plant Biotechnol J 9:486-502. 2011..Isolated cell walls of ClEXPA1 and ClEXPA2 overexpressors contained 30%-50% higher cellulose contents than the wild type, accompanied by a thickening of the cell walls in the xylem region...
- Structure of cellulose microfibrils in primary cell walls from collenchymaLynne H Thomas
Department of Chemistry, University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath BA2 7AY, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 161:465-76. 2013In the primary walls of growing plant cells, the glucose polymer cellulose is assembled into long microfibrils a few nanometers in diameter...
- High ethanol titers from cellulose by using metabolically engineered thermophilic, anaerobic microbesD Aaron Argyros
Mascoma Corporation, 67 Etna Road, Suite 300, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:8288-94. 2011..2-fold increase in ethanol yield over the wild-type strain. Ethanol production from cellulose was investigated with an engineered coculture of organic acid-deficient engineered strains of both C...
- Organization of cellulose synthase complexes involved in primary cell wall synthesis in Arabidopsis thalianaThierry Desprez
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire, Unité de Recherche 501, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin Institut national de la recherche agronomique, Route de St Cyr, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15572-7. 2007In all land plants, cellulose is synthesized from hexameric plasma membrane complexes...
- The complete genome sequence of Fibrobacter succinogenes S85 reveals a cellulolytic and metabolic specialistGarret Suen
DOE Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e18814. 2011..which is also one of only two cultivated species in its phylum, is an efficient and prolific degrader of cellulose. Specifically, it has a particularly high activity against crystalline cellulose that requires close physical ..
- Molecular analysis of cellulose biosynthesis in ArabidopsisT Arioli
Cooperative Research Centre for Plant Science, Australian National University, Post Office Box 475, Canberra, ACT 2601, Australia
Science 279:717-20. 1998b>Cellulose, an abundant, crystalline polysaccharide, is central to plant morphogenesis and to many industries...
- Crystallographic snapshot of cellulose synthesis and membrane translocationJacob L W Morgan
Center for Membrane Biology, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Nature 493:181-6. 2013b>Cellulose, the most abundant biological macromolecule, is an extracellular, linear polymer of glucose molecules. It represents an essential component of plant cell walls but is also found in algae and bacteria...
- Genomics of aerobic cellulose utilization systems in actinobacteriaIain Anderson
U S Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, California, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e39331. 2012b>Cellulose degrading enzymes have important functions in the biotechnology industry, including the production of biofuels from lignocellulosic biomass...
- Oxidoreductive cellulose depolymerization by the enzymes cellobiose dehydrogenase and glycoside hydrolase 61James A Langston
Novozymes, Inc, 1445 Drew Avenue, Davis, California 95618, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:7007-15. 2011..Cellobiose dehydrogenase (CDH) is a secreted flavocytochrome produced by many cellulose-degrading fungi with no well-understood biological function...
- Genetic evidence for three unique components in primary cell-wall cellulose synthase complexes in ArabidopsisStaffan Persson
Department of Plant Biology, Carnegie Institution, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15566-71. 2007In higher plants, cellulose is synthesized at the plasma membrane by the cellulose synthase (CESA) complex. The catalytic core of the complex is believed to be composed of three types of CESA subunits...
- Oxidative cleavage of cellulose by fungal copper-dependent polysaccharide monooxygenasesWilliam T Beeson
Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:890-2. 2012..were found to generate oxidized cellodextrins modified at the reducing or nonreducing ends upon incubation with cellulose and cellobiose dehydrogenase. Here we show that the nonreducing end product formed by an N...
- Consolidated bioprocessing of cellulosic biomass: an updateLee R Lynd
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 16:577-83. 2005..the focus of most research efforts to date, consolidated bioprocessing (CBP)--featuring cellulase production, cellulose hydrolysis and fermentation in one step--is an alternative approach with outstanding potential...
- Fuel ethanol production from lignocellulose: a challenge for metabolic engineering and process integrationJ Zaldivar
Center for Process Biotechnology, Department of Biotechnology, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 56:17-34. 2001....
- Effects of cellulose crystallinity, hemicellulose, and lignin on the enzymatic hydrolysis of Miscanthus sinensis to monosaccharidesMakoto Yoshida
Faculty of Agriculture, Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Fuchu, Tokyo 183 8509, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 72:805-10. 2008The effects of cellulose crystallinity, hemicellulose, and lignin on the enzymatic hydrolysis of Miscanthus sinensis to monosaccharides were investigated...
- Vaginal microbicides: detecting toxicities in vivo that paradoxically increase pathogen transmissionRichard A Cone
Mucosal Protection Laboratory, Dept of Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
BMC Infect Dis 6:90. 2006....
- Disruption of tight junctions by cellulose sulfate facilitates HIV infection: model of microbicide safetyPedro M M Mesquita
Department of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Infect Dis 200:599-608. 2009..The lack of biomarkers that are predictive of safety is a critical gap in the development of microbicides. The present experiments were designed to evaluate the predictive value of in vitro models of microbicide safety...
- SND1, a NAC domain transcription factor, is a key regulator of secondary wall synthesis in fibers of ArabidopsisRuiqin Zhong
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Plant Cell 18:3158-70. 2006..Together, our results reveal that SND1 is a key transcriptional activator involved in secondary wall biosynthesis in fibers...
- Interactions among three distinct CesA proteins essential for cellulose synthesisNeil G Taylor
School of Biological Sciences, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:1450-5. 2003In a screen to identify novel cellulose deficient mutants, three lines were shown to be allelic and define a novel complementation group, irregular xylem5 (irx5)...
- Brassinosteroids can regulate cellulose biosynthesis by controlling the expression of CESA genes in ArabidopsisLiqiong Xie
School of Life Science and Technology, Xian Jiaotong University, Xi an 710049, Shanxi Province, People s Republic of China
J Exp Bot 62:4495-506. 2011..b>Cellulose is a biopolymer which has a major contribution to cell wall formation during cell expansion and elongation...
- Sucrose synthase activity in the sus1/sus2/sus3/sus4 Arabidopsis mutant is sufficient to support normal cellulose and starch productionEdurne Baroja-Fernandez
Instituto de Agrobiotecnologia, Universidad Pública de Navarra Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas Gobierno de Navarra, 31192 Mutiloabeti, Nafarroa, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:321-6. 2012..The involvement of SUS in the synthesis of UDP-glucose and ADP-glucose linked to Arabidopsis cellulose and starch biosynthesis, respectively, has been questioned by Barratt et al...
- How biotech can transform biofuelsLee R Lynd
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Nat Biotechnol 26:169-72. 2008..For cellulosic ethanol to become a reality, biotechnological solutions should focus on optimizing the conversion of biomass to sugars...
- Characterization of the two Neurospora crassa cellobiose dehydrogenases and their connection to oxidative cellulose degradationChristoph Sygmund
Food Biotechnology Laboratory, Department of Food Sciences and Technology, BOKU, University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna, Austria
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:6161-71. 2012..So far, only CDH IIA, which is induced during growth on cellulose and features a C-terminal carbohydrate binding module (CBM), was detected in the secretome of N...
- Coordinated cyclic-di-GMP repression of Salmonella motility through YcgR and celluloseVioleta Zorraquino
Laboratory of Microbial Biofilms, Instituto de Agrobiotecnologia, Idab, Universidad Pública de Navarra CSIC Gobierno de Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain
J Bacteriol 195:417-28. 2013..BcsA, upon c-di-GMP binding, synthesizes cellulose, the main exopolysaccharide of the biofilm matrix...
- Cellulose microfibril crystallinity is reduced by mutating C-terminal transmembrane region residues CESA1A903V and CESA3T942I of cellulose synthaseDarby M Harris
Department of Horticulture, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:4098-103. 2012The mechanisms underlying the biosynthesis of cellulose in plants are complex and still poorly understood...
- Quantitative proteomic approach for cellulose degradation by Neurospora crassaChristopher M Phillips
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, United States
J Proteome Res 10:4177-85. 2011..proteomics approach to characterizing the secretome of Neurospora crassa during growth on microcrystalline cellulose. Thirteen proteins were quantified in the N...
- Restructuring the crystalline cellulose hydrogen bond network enhances its depolymerization rateShishir P S Chundawat
Biomass Conversion Research Laboratory, Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
J Am Chem Soc 133:11163-74. 2011Conversion of lignocellulose to biofuels is partly inefficient due to the deleterious impact of cellulose crystallinity on enzymatic saccharification...
- Swollenin, a Trichoderma reesei protein with sequence similarity to the plant expansins, exhibits disruption activity on cellulosic materialsMarkku Saloheimo
VTT Biotechnology, PO Box 1500, 02044 VTT, Finland
Eur J Biochem 269:4202-11. 2002..The protein named swollenin has an N-terminal fungal type cellulose binding domain connected by a linker region to the expansin-like domain...
- Biofilm formation and cellulose expression among diverse environmental Pseudomonas isolatesSusanne Ude
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3RB, UK
Environ Microbiol 8:1997-2011. 2006..Calcofluor epifluorescent microscopy identified cellulose as the matrix component in biofilms produced by Pseudomonas asplenii, Pseudomonas corrugata, Pseudomonas ..
- Microbial diversity of cellulose hydrolysisDavid B Wilson
Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, 458 Biotechnology Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, United States
Curr Opin Microbiol 14:259-63. 2011Enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose by microorganisms is a key step in the global carbon cycle...
- Cortical microtubules optimize cell-wall crystallinity to drive unidirectional growth in ArabidopsisMiki Fujita
Department of Botany, University of British Columbia, 6270 University Boulevard, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6T 1Z4, Canada
Plant J 66:915-28. 2011The shape of plants depends on cellulose, a biopolymer that self-assembles into crystalline, inextensible microfibrils (CMFs) upon synthesis at the plasma membrane by multi-enzyme cellulose synthase complexes (CSCs)...
- Metabolic engineering of Clostridium cellulolyticum for production of isobutanol from celluloseWendy Higashide
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 5531 Boelter Hall, 420 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:2727-33. 2011Producing biofuels directly from cellulose, known as consolidated bioprocessing, is believed to reduce costs substantially compared to a process in which cellulose degradation and fermentation to fuel are accomplished in separate steps...
- Identification of a cellulose synthase-associated protein required for cellulose biosynthesisYing Gu
Energy Biosciences Institute, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:12866-71. 2010b>Cellulose synthase-interactive protein 1 (CSI1) was identified in a two-hybrid screen for proteins that interact with cellulose synthase (CESA) isoforms involved in primary plant cell wall synthesis...
- Cellulose synthases and synthesis in ArabidopsisAnne Endler
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Potsdam, Germany
Mol Plant 4:199-211. 2011..Among the wall polysaccharides, cellulose, a hydrogen-bonded β-1,4-linked glucan microfibril, is the main load-bearing wall component and a key precursor ..
- Sucrose synthase affects carbon partitioning to increase cellulose production and altered cell wall ultrastructureHeather D Coleman
Department of Wood Science, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z4
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:13118-23. 2009..This activity manifested in altered secondary cell wall cellulose content per dry weight in all lines, with increases of 2% to 6% over control levels, without influencing plant ..
- Visualization of biomass solubilization and cellulose regeneration during ionic liquid pretreatment of switchgrassSeema Singh
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Deconstruction Division, Emeryville, California, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 104:68-75. 2009Auto-fluorescent mapping of plant cell walls was used to visualize cellulose and lignin in pristine switchgrass (Panicum virgatum) stems to determine the mechanisms of biomass dissolution during ionic liquid pretreatment...
- Degradation of cellulose by basidiomycetous fungiPetr Baldrian
Laboratory of Biochemistry of Wood rotting Fungi, Institute of Microbiology of the ASCR v v i, Videnska 1083, Prague 4, Czech Republic
FEMS Microbiol Rev 32:501-21. 2008b>Cellulose is the main polymeric component of the plant cell wall, the most abundant polysaccharide on Earth, and an important renewable resource...
- TRICHOME BIREFRINGENCE and its homolog AT5G01360 encode plant-specific DUF231 proteins required for cellulose biosynthesis in ArabidopsisVolker Bischoff
Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, 14476 Potsdam, Germany
Plant Physiol 153:590-602. 2010The Arabidopsis (Arabidopsis thaliana) trichome birefringence (tbr) mutant has severely reduced crystalline cellulose in trichomes, but the molecular nature of TBR was unknown...
- High speed atomic force microscopy visualizes processive movement of Trichoderma reesei cellobiohydrolase I on crystalline celluloseKiyohiko Igarashi
Department of Biomaterials Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
J Biol Chem 284:36186-90. 2009Fungal cellobiohydrolases act at liquid-solid interfaces. They have the ability to hydrolyze cellulose chains of a crystalline substrate because of their two-domain structure, i.e...
- BSA treatment to enhance enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose in lignin containing substratesBin Yang
Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 94:611-7. 2006Cellulase and bovine serum albumin (BSA) were added to Avicel cellulose and solids containing 56% cellulose and 28% lignin from dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment of corn stover...
- Sitosterol-beta-glucoside as primer for cellulose synthesis in plantsLiangcai Peng
Section of Plant Biology, University of California Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Science 295:147-50. 2002b>Cellulose synthesis in plants requires beta-1,4-glucan chain initiation, elongation, and termination. The process of chain elongation is likely to be distinct from the process of chain initiation...
- Two SusD-like proteins encoded within a polysaccharide utilization locus of an uncultured ruminant Bacteroidetes phylotype bind strongly to celluloseA K Mackenzie
Department of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, As, Norway
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:5935-7. 2012..This shows associations between uncultured Bacteroidetes-affiliated lineages and cellulose in the rumen and thus presents new PUL-derived targets to pursue regarding plant biomass degradation.
- Polysaccharides cellulose, poly-beta-1,6-n-acetyl-D-glucosamine, and colanic acid are required for optimal binding of Escherichia coli O157:H7 strains to alfalfa sprouts and K-12 strains to plastic but not for binding to epithelial cellsAnn G Matthysse
Department of Biology, Coker Hall, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 3280, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2384-90. 2008..An LPS mutant had no effect on the binding of the pathogenic strain. Cellulose synthase mutants showed a significant reduction in binding; colanic acid mutants were more severely reduced, and ..
- Renewable and superior thermal-resistant cellulose-based composite nonwoven as lithium-ion battery separatorJianjun Zhang
Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266101, P R China
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:128-34. 2013A renewable and superior thermal-resistant cellulose-based composite nonwoven was explored as lithium-ion battery separator via an electrospinning technique followed by a dip-coating process...
- Differential involvement of β-glucosidases from Hypocrea jecorina in rapid induction of cellulase genes by cellulose and cellobioseQingxin Zhou
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, School of Life Science, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, People s Republic of China
Eukaryot Cell 11:1371-81. 2012Appropriate perception of cellulose outside the cell by transforming it into an intracellular signal ensures the rapid production of cellulases by cellulolytic Hypocrea jecorina...
- Collapsed xylem phenotype of Arabidopsis identifies mutants deficient in cellulose deposition in the secondary cell wallS R Turner
University of Manchester, School of Biological Science, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 9:689-701. 1997..The xylem cell defect was associated with an up to eightfold reduction in the total amount of cellulose in mature inflorescence stems...
- Biodegradation and biological treatments of cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin: an overviewJ Perez
Departamento de Microbiologia, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Granada, Spain
Int Microbiol 5:53-63. 2002In nature, cellulose, lignocellulose and lignin are major sources of plant biomass; therefore, their recycling is indispensable for the carbon cycle...
- Transition of cellulose crystalline structure and surface morphology of biomass as a function of ionic liquid pretreatment and its relation to enzymatic hydrolysisGang Cheng
Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, California, USA
Biomacromolecules 12:933-41. 2011b>Cellulose is inherently resistant to breakdown, and the native crystalline structure (cellulose I) of cellulose is considered to be one of the major factors limiting its potential in terms of cost-competitive lignocellulosic biofuel ..
- A receptor-like kinase mediates the response of Arabidopsis cells to the inhibition of cellulose synthesisKian Hematy
Laboratoire de Biologie Cellulaire, UR501, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Centre de Versailles, Route de St Cyr, 78026 Versailles, France
Curr Biol 17:922-31. 2007..Plant cells, like yeast, react to cell-wall perturbations as shown by changes in gene expression, accumulation of ectopic lignin, and growth arrest caused by the inhibition of cellulose synthesis.
- Disruption of cellulose synthesis by 2,6-dichlorobenzonitrile affects the structure of the cytoskeleton and cell wall construction in ArabidopsisL Peng
School of Life Science, Ningxia University, Yinchuan, China
Plant Biol (Stuttg) 15:405-14. 2013b>Cellulose is the major component of plant cell walls and is an important source of industrial raw material...
- Differential regulation of cellulose orientation at the inner and outer face of epidermal cells in the Arabidopsis hypocotylElizabeth Faris Crowell
Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Unité Mixte de Recherche 1318, INRA AgroParisTech, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Centre de Versailles Grignon, 78000 Versailles, France
Plant Cell 23:2592-605. 2011It is generally believed that cell elongation is regulated by cortical microtubules, which guide the movement of cellulose synthase complexes as they secrete cellulose microfibrils into the periplasmic space...
- Identification of the CRE-1 cellulolytic regulon in Neurospora crassaJianping Sun
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e25654. 2011..In Neurospora crassa, deletion of cre-1 results in increased secretion of amylase and β-galactosidase...
- Association genetics of traits controlling lignin and cellulose biosynthesis in black cottonwood (Populus trichocarpa, Salicaceae) secondary xylemJill L Wegrzyn
Department of Plant Sciences, University of California at Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
New Phytol 188:515-32. 2010....
- Cellodextrin transport in yeast for improved biofuel productionJonathan M Galazka
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Science 330:84-6. 2010..fungus Neurospora crassa relies on a high-affinity cellodextrin transport system for rapid growth on cellulose. Reconstitution of the N...
- Diversity of glycosyl hydrolases from cellulose-depleting communities enriched from casts of two earthworm speciesAna Beloqui
CSIC, Institute of Catalysis, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5934-46. 2010..we retrieved carbohydrate-modifying enzymes through the activity screening of metagenomic fosmid libraries from cellulose-depleting microbial communities established with the fresh casts of two earthworm species, Aporrectodea ..
- Identification of a Cis-acting regulatory polymorphism in a Eucalypt COBRA-like gene affecting cellulose contentBala R Thumma
CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
Genetics 183:1153-64. 2009..in a Eucalyptus nitens COBRA-like gene (EniCOBL4A), whose Arabidopsis homolog has been implicated in cellulose deposition...
- Carbohydrate-binding modules promote the enzymatic deconstruction of intact plant cell walls by targeting and proximity effectsCecile Herve
Faculty of Biological Sciences, Centre for Plant Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:15293-8. 2010..The capacity of a pectate lyase to degrade pectic homogalacturonan in primary cell walls was potentiated by cellulose-directed CBMs but not by xylan-directed CBMs...
- Xylooligomers are strong inhibitors of cellulose hydrolysis by enzymesQing Qing
Center for Environmental Research and Technology and, Chemical and Environmental Engineering Department, Bourns College of Engineering, University of California, Riverside, 1084 Columbia Avenue, Riverside, CA 92507, United States
Bioresour Technol 101:9624-30. 2010..A comparison among glucose sugars and xylose sugars also showed that xylooligomers were more powerful inhibitors than well-established glucose and cellobiose...
- Cellulase digestibility of pretreated biomass is limited by cellulose accessibilityTina Jeoh
Chemical and Biosciences Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1617 Cole Blvd, Golden, Colorado 80401, USA
Biotechnol Bioeng 98:112-22. 2007..In this study, we present a direct method for measuring the key factors governing cellulose digestibility in a biomass sample by directly probing cellulase binding and activity using a purified ..
- Chitinase-like1/pom-pom1 and its homolog CTL2 are glucan-interacting proteins important for cellulose biosynthesis in ArabidopsisClara Sánchez-Rodríguez
Max Planck Institut fur Molekulare Pflanzenphysiologie, 14476 Potsdam Golm, Germany
Plant Cell 24:589-607. 2012Plant cells are encased by a cellulose-containing wall that is essential for plant morphogenesis...
- Cobtorin target analysis reveals that pectin functions in the deposition of cellulose microfibrils in parallel with cortical microtubulesArata Yoneda
Biomass Engineering Program, RIKEN, 1 7 22, Suehiro cho, Tsurumi ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230 0045, Japan
Plant J 64:657-67. 2010b>Cellulose and pectin are major components of primary cell walls in plants, and it is believed that their mechanical properties are important for cell morphogenesis...
- Enhancement of HIV infection by cellulose sulfateWang Tao
Vaccine Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 24:925-9. 2008b>Cellulose sulfate, a polyanionic compound derived from cotton, has been proposed as a topical microbicide to reduce the sexual transmission of HIV...
- Cellodextrin and laminaribiose ABC transporters in Clostridium thermocellumYakir Nataf
Department of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 32000, Israel
J Bacteriol 191:203-9. 2009..also produce ethanol, it is considered an attractive candidate for a consolidated fermentation process in which cellulose hydrolysis and ethanol fermentation occur in a single process...
- Cellobiose dehydrogenase and a copper-dependent polysaccharide monooxygenase potentiate cellulose degradation by Neurospora crassaChristopher M Phillips
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, University of California, Berkeley 94720, USA
ACS Chem Biol 6:1399-406. 2011..and biochemical techniques, we report that filamentous fungi use oxidative enzymes to cleave glycosidic bonds in cellulose. Deletion of cdh-1, the gene encoding the major cellobiose dehydrogenase of Neurospora crassa, reduced cellulase ..
- Sucrose synthase is an integral component of the cellulose synthesis machinerySatoshi Fujii
Department of Biological Sciences, Graduate School of Science, Osaka University, Osaka, 560 0043 Japan f
Plant Cell Physiol 51:294-301. 2010b>Cellulose synthesis in plants is believed to be carried out by the plasma membrane-associated rosette structure which can be observed by electron microscopy...
- Three distinct rice cellulose synthase catalytic subunit genes required for cellulose synthesis in the secondary wallKatsuyuki Tanaka
Institute of the Society for Techno Innovation of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0854, Japan
Plant Physiol 133:73-83. 2003..brittle mutations of rice, induced by the insertion of the endogenous retrotransposon Tos17, correspond to CesA (cellulose synthase catalytic subunit) genes, OsCesA4, OsCesA7 and OsCesA9...
- Microbial cellulose utilization: fundamentals and biotechnologyLee R Lynd
Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Thayer School of Engineering and Department of Biological Sciences, Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire 03755, USA
Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 66:506-77, table of contents. 2002Fundamental features of microbial cellulose utilization are examined at successively higher levels of aggregation encompassing the structure and composition of cellulosic biomass, taxonomic diversity, cellulase enzyme systems, molecular ..
- Metagenomic discovery of biomass-degrading genes and genomes from cow rumenMatthias Hess
Department of Energy, Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, CA 94598, USA
Science 331:463-7. 2011..These data sets provide a substantially expanded catalog of genes and genomes participating in the deconstruction of cellulosic biomass...
- Dissolution of cellulose [correction of cellose] with ionic liquidsRichard P Swatloski
Center for Green Manufacturing and Department of Chemistry, The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487, USA
J Am Chem Soc 124:4974-5. 2002We report here initial results that demonstrate that cellulose can be dissolved without activation or pretreatment in, and regenerated from, 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride and other hydrophilic ionic liquids...
- Transcriptional analysis of the cip-cel gene cluster from Clostridium cellulolyticumHédia Maamar
Laboratoire de Bioenergetique et Ingenierie des Proteines, UPR 9036 CNRS, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Bacteriol 188:2614-24. 2006..Two large transcripts were detected in cellulose-grown cells by Northern hybridization: a 14-kb messenger which carries the cipC-cel48F-cel8C-cel9G-cel9E coding ..
- A kinesin-like protein is essential for oriented deposition of cellulose microfibrils and cell wall strengthRuiqin Zhong
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Plant Cell 14:3101-17. 2002Cortical microtubules have long been hypothesized to regulate the oriented deposition of cellulose microfibrils...
- Carbon partitioning to cellulose synthesisC H Haigler
Department of Biological Sciences, Texas Tech University, Lubbock 79409 3131, USA
Plant Mol Biol 47:29-51. 2001This article discusses the importance and implications of regulating carbon partitioning to cellulose synthesis, the characteristics of cells that serve as major sinks for cellulose deposition, and enzymes that participate in the ..
- Real-time imaging of cellulose reorientation during cell wall expansion in Arabidopsis rootsCharles T Anderson
Energy Biosciences Institute, University of California, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Plant Physiol 152:787-96. 2010b>Cellulose forms the major load-bearing network of the plant cell wall, which simultaneously protects the cell and directs its growth...
- Characterization of the rdar morphotype, a multicellular behaviour in EnterobacteriaceaeU Romling
Microbiology and Tumor Biology Center, Karolinska Institutet, Box 280, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Mol Life Sci 62:1234-46. 2005..enterica and Escherichia coli is characterized by the expression of the adhesive extracellular matrix components cellulose and curli fimbriae...
- Genetic analysis of Salmonella enteritidis biofilm formation: critical role of celluloseCristina Solano
Instituto de Agrobiotecnología y Recursos Naturales and Departamento de Producción Agraria, Universidad Pública de Navarra Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, 31006 Pamplona, Spain
Mol Microbiol 43:793-808. 2002..of bcsC and bcsE genes and complementation experiments demonstrated that both operons are responsible for cellulose biosynthesis in both S. enteritidis and S. typhimurium...
- KORRIGAN1 and its aspen homolog PttCel9A1 decrease cellulose crystallinity in Arabidopsis stemsJunko Takahashi
Umea Plant Science Centre, Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, Umea, Sweden
Plant Cell Physiol 50:1099-115. 2009KORRIGAN1 (KOR1) is a membrane-bound cellulase implicated in cellulose biosynthesis. PttCel9A1 from hybrid aspen (Populus tremula L. x tremuloides Michx...
- Global view of the Clostridium thermocellum cellulosome revealed by quantitative proteomic analysisNicholas D Gold
Department of Biology, Concordia University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H4B 1R6
J Bacteriol 189:6787-95. 2007..patterns of subunits within cellulosomes of the cellulolytic bacterium Clostridium thermocellum, grown on either cellulose or cellobiose...
- Regenerating cellulose from ionic liquids for an accelerated enzymatic hydrolysisHua Zhao
Chemistry Program, Savannah State University, 3219 College Street, Savannah, GA 31404, USA
J Biotechnol 139:47-54. 2009..The pretreatment of lignocelluloses is known to be key to the fast enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose. Recently, certain ionic liquids (ILs) were found capable of dissolving more than 10wt% cellulose...
- Cellulose biosynthesis in plants: from genes to rosettesMonika S Doblin
University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1407-20. 2002..gene cloning have identified the CesA genes as encoding the probable catalytic subunits of the plant CelS, the cellulose synthase enzyme complex visualized in the plasma membrane as rosettes...
- Bacterial populations and environmental factors controlling cellulose degradation in an acidic Sphagnum peatTimofey A Pankratov
S N Winogradsky Institute of Microbiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow 117312, Russia
Environ Microbiol 13:1800-14. 2011..The degradation of cellulose, the major component of Sphagnum-derived litter, was monitored in long-term incubation experiments with acidic (..
- What do we really know about cellulose biosynthesis in higher plants?Gea Guerriero
Division of Glycoscience, School of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Center, Stockholm, Sweden
J Integr Plant Biol 52:161-75. 2010b>Cellulose biosynthesis is one of the most important biochemical processes in plant biology...
- The role of cellulose and O-antigen capsule in the colonization of plants by Salmonella entericaJeri D Barak
Produce Safety and Microbiology Research Unit, United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Albany, CA 94710, USA
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 20:1083-91. 2007..Here, we demonstrate that the other surface polymers composing the extracellular matrix, cellulose, and O-antigen capsule also play a role in colonization of plants...
- Cellulose nanopaper structures of high toughnessMarielle Henriksson
Fibre and Polymer Technology, Royal Institute of Technology, KTH, SE 100 44 Stockholm, Sweden
Biomacromolecules 9:1579-85. 2008b>Cellulose nanofibrils offer interesting potential as a native fibrous constituent of mechanical performance exceeding the plant fibers in current use for commercial products...
- Cellulose biosynthesis and deposition in higher plantsNeil G Taylor
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products, Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK
New Phytol 178:239-52. 2008The plant cell wall is central to plant development. Cellulose is a major component of plant cell walls, and is the world's most abundant biopolymer...
- Nanoporous cellulose as metal nanoparticles supportJie Cai
Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, The University of Tokyo, Japan
Biomacromolecules 10:87-94. 2009..Here, transparent nanoporous cellulose gel obtained from aqueous alkali hydroxide-urea solution was examined as supporting medium for noble metal ..
- Gene expression regulation by the Curli activator CsgD protein: modulation of cellulose biosynthesis and control of negative determinants for microbial adhesionEva Brombacher
Swiss Federal Institute of Environmental Technology, Dubendorf, Switzerland
J Bacteriol 188:2027-37. 2006..Curli production is dependent on the CsgD transcription activator, which also promotes cellulose biosynthesis...
- NMR study of cellulose and wheat straw degradation by Ruminococcus albus 20Maria Matulova
Institute of Chemistry, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Centre for Glycomics, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
FEBS J 275:3503-11. 2008b>Cellulose and wheat straw degradation by Ruminococcus albus was monitored using NMR spectroscopy...
- Traffic jams reduce hydrolytic efficiency of cellulase on cellulose surfaceKiyohiko Igarashi
Department of Biomaterial Sciences, Graduate School of Agricultural and Life Sciences, University of Tokyo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8657, Japan
Science 333:1279-82. 2011..We report here the real-time visualization of crystalline cellulose degradation by individual cellulase enzymes through use of an advanced version of high-speed atomic force ..
- Role of cellulose fibrils and exopolysaccharides of Rhizobium leguminosarum in attachment to and infection of Vicia sativa root hairsM C Laus
Institute of Biology Leiden, Leiden University, Wassenaarseweg 64, 2333AL Leiden, The Netherlands
Mol Plant Microbe Interact 18:533-8. 2005..Bacterial cellulose fibrils have been shown to be involved in this attachment process but appeared not to be essential for ..
- Anti-HIV Microbicide: Cellulose Acetate Phthalate (CAP)A Robert Neurath; Fiscal Year: 2004b>Cellulose acetate phthalate (CAP) has been used as an enteric film coating material or as a matrix binder for tablets and capsules...
- Scalable Purification of Silk-Like Proteins from Transgenic TobaccoWILLIAM MARCOTTE; Fiscal Year: 2007..To address this problem, we will express spider silk proteins fused to cellulose-binding domains in transgenic tobacco...
- Mechanism of cellulose synthesis and transport across biological membranesJochen Zimmer; Fiscal Year: 2013..typically found in bacterial biofilms include [unreadable]-1,6 linked N-acetyl-glucosamine, alginate, and cellulose. By using the bacterial cellulose synthase machinery as a model system, we propose to determine how ..
- Polysaccharide Ecocomposite Materials: Recyclable Synthesis and ApplicationsChieu D Tran; Fiscal Year: 2012..synthesis and applications of composite materials based on the two most abundant biorenewable polysaccharides, cellulose (CEL) and chitotan (CS)...
- Integrin Targeted Therapy for the Treatment of Ovarian CancerFRANK CALZONE; Fiscal Year: 2013..and anti-angiogenic disintegrin vicrostatin (VCN), a recombinant protein, impregnated in a carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC) and polyethylene oxide (PEO) gel approved for human use in Europe and Australia for prevention of post-..
- Safety of Non-Medicated Intravaginal Rings for Microbicide DeliveryMarla J Keller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Microbicide trial failures with Nonoxynol-9 (N-9) and cellulose sulfate gels revealed that clinical safety outcomes in early Phase trials were not predictive of safety in Phase ..
- Development of Age-Appropriate Fast Disintegrating Pediatric Granules and TabletsMOJI ADEYEYE; Fiscal Year: 2009..g., saccharin, sucralose, sucrose) and diluents/binder (e.g., microcrystalline cellulose, dicalcium phosphate) will be examined...
- Zosteric Acid Integrated Thermo-reversible Gels for Preventing Surgical AdhesionsBi min Newby; Fiscal Year: 2012..form, into a thermo-reversible gel made of Pluronic(R) F-127 and Hydroxyl propyl methyl cellulose, which can then be easily applied in both open and laparoscopic surgeries to prevent adhesion development...
- Enabling high dose regional chemotherapy while minimizing systemic toxicityShaker A Mousa; Fiscal Year: 2010..This will be accomplished by a) preparing carbon beads with three different coatings (cellulose with heparin, PMMA and PMMA with heparin) to enhance the biocompatibility of the carbon filters during blood ..
- Cellulose-Based Strips for Human Taste EvaluationLloyd Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2010..This test is based on the novel utilization of cellulose/pullulan-based "edible film strips" (EFS) as a vehicle for administering taste stimuli to the oral cavity...
- Hemorrhage Control During Brain SurgeryWeiliam Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..standard for bleeding control during brain surgery has practically not changed for many decades, with oxidized cellulose, gelatin and collagen as the commonly used materials;thrombin is often deployed in conjunction with these ..
- Innovative Biofabrication of 3D Nano-Biocomposites for Repair of Osteochondral DeLAURIE O'ROURKE; Fiscal Year: 2012..The innovation in this proposal is novel biofabrication process for creating 3D Nano- cellulose hydroxyapatite biocomposite (Nano-biocomposite) which functions as a load bearing articular cartilage and its ..
- Multifunctional bone putty for craniomaxillofacial bone repairAMBALANGODAGE CHAMPA JAYASURIYA; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be synthesized using growth factors encapsulated chitosan microparticles, calcium chloride, and methyl cellulose. Each material selected for bone putty provides bone-specific properties to enhance bone growth...
- Development of a new Imaging Platform for Pharmaceutical and Biomedical applicatiLynne S Taylor; Fiscal Year: 2012..model polymers will cover a range of polymer types including those used for oral delivery (polyethylene oxide, cellulose based polymers), biodegradable polymers (polylactic acid, polylactic glycolic acid), and non-erodable device ..
- Bioresponsive Combination Microbicide Delivery System for HIV and HSVPATRICK FRANKLIN contact KISER; Fiscal Year: 2010..the antiviral nucleoside inhibitors Tenofovir (TNFV) and Acyclovir (ACV), and a viral neutralizing agent CAP (cellulose acetate phthalate)...
- Bioactive Compounds from the Biodiversity of Vietnam and LaosDjaja D Soejarto; Fiscal Year: 2010..marine biodiversity of South China Sea, and UIC-ICBG Phase II legacy plant extracts;(ii) discovery of new cellulose-degrading and biofuel-producing microbial strains;(iii) advancing new knowledge and strengthening conservation ..
- Novel Mucosal Models Predictive of Microbicide SafetyMarla J Keller; Fiscal Year: 2012..The clinical trial failures with nonoxynol-9 and cellulose sulfate highlight the challenges in microbicide research and the need to establish better markers predictive of ..
- Mechanisms of polysacchairde synthesis by S. pneumoniaeJANET L YOTHER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Among the related enzymes in the glycosyltransferase 2 family are the chitin, cellulose, and hyaluronan synthases...
- Near-Infrared VCD of Chiral PharmaceuticalsLaurence Nafie; Fiscal Year: 2004..The excipients to be studied include dextrose (glucose), sucrose, lactose, cyclodextrins and cellulose. After these studies, we will measure FT-near-IR-VCD of excipient-supported final pharmaceutical products...
- HIV Integrase as a Target for Topical MIcrobicide DevelopmentMary Klotman; Fiscal Year: 2009..microbicides to block sexual transmission, have been disappointing as both nonoxynol-9 (N-9) and more recently cellulose sulfate (CS) either did not block transmission or actually enhanced transmission...
- Anti-HIV-1 Composite Cellulose Acetate Phthalate FilmShibo Jiang; Fiscal Year: 2006b>Cellulose acetate phthalate (CAP), used in the pharmaceutical industry for enteric film coating of tablets and capsules, is an HIV-1 entry inhibitor blocking the CXCR4/CCR5 coreceptor binding sites on the virus and eliciting "dead-end" ..
- S-nitrosothiol analyzer for the clinical diagnosis of cardiovascular disease markMichael R Pisano; Fiscal Year: 2011..A novel catalytic membrane will be prepared by covalently modifying cellulose dialysis membranes with selenocystamine to enhance the sensitivity of the RSNO sensor...
- A practical microbicide based on HIV-1 entry inhibitorsJohn P Moore; Fiscal Year: 2012..microbicide candidates have been highlighted by recent failed or halted Phase III trials (COL-1492, SAVVY and Cellulose Sulfate);these trials have suggested that development and formulation of effective microbicides may not be as ..
- THROMBOPOIETIN: IMMUNOASSAY AND CHARACTERIZATIONTED MC DONALD; Fiscal Year: 1993..will be extracted from HEK cells and separated from other nucleic acids by affinity chromatography on oligo-dT cellulose columns; 7) mRNA will be injected into frog oocytes and TSF production measured; 8) mice will be exposed to ..
- On-Chip Protein Synthesis Based on Directional Droplet-Ejector ArrayEun Sok Kim; Fiscal Year: 2010..microfluidic components for producing 100 protein probes of amino acids of arbitrarily specified sequence on a cellulose membrane functionalized with appropriate linker/spacer chemistry...
- Cervical/Vaginal Mucus and MicrobicidesThomas Hope; Fiscal Year: 2013..in semen alone and mixed with mucus and/or microbicide vehicles such as carbopol gel and hydroxy ethyl cellulose (HEC)...
- Cervical/Vaginal Mucus and MicrobicidesThomas Hope; Fiscal Year: 2012..in semen alone and mixed with mucus and/or microbicide vehicles such as carbopol gel and hydroxy ethyl cellulose (HEC)...
- HIV Microbicides and the Vaginal MicrobiomeSteven Zeichner; Fiscal Year: 2009..microbial flora before and after microbicide application in a CONRAD repeat phase 1 study of nonoxynol-9 (N-9), cellulose sulfate (CS), and placebo using Affymetrix PhyloChip microarrays 2) Examine the portfolio of expressed genes in ..
- ANTI-AIDS NUCLEOSIDE CONJUGATES OF ETHER PHOSPHOLIPIDSCHUNG HONG; Fiscal Year: 1992..The conjugate will be purified by a DE-52 (AcO-) cellulose ion exchange column chromatography using a linear gradient of 0-0...
- CONTROL OF CORPUS LUTEUM FUNCTIONJohn Gadsby; Fiscal Year: 1990..APFPI will then be subjected to ion-exchange (DEAE and CM-cellulose) and Sephadex G-100 chromatography and HPLC...
- NON-GASTRIN ACID SECRETAGOGUE IN ISLET CELL TUMORSWilliam Chey; Fiscal Year: 1990..Initially, a peptide of NGAS activity will be purified from a Sephadex G-25 fraction of "cholecystokinin CM-cellulose side fraction (CCK-CMC-I)" of intestinal extract by reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) ..
- Assessment of vaccine/microbicide combination efficacy in the macaque modelCECILIA C CHENG MAYER; Fiscal Year: 2010..SA2) Determine whether topical application of a candidate microbicide, e.g. cellulose acetate 1,2-benzenedicarboxylate (CAP), prior to each challenge in the vaccinated macaques confers added ..
- STACHYBOTRYS INDUCED HEMORRHAGE IN THE DEVELOPING LUNGDorr Dearborn; Fiscal Year: 2003..with water damaged homes and the toxigenic fungus called Stachybotrys atra which requires water-saturated cellulose to grow...
- ASPERGILLUS ELASTASE, A POTENTIAL VIRULENCE FACTORJUDITH RHODES; Fiscal Year: 1990..The active peak, following ion-exchange on carboxymethyl cellulose, gel filtration chromatography, and adsorption (hydroxyapatite) chromatography, is homogeneous on SDS-PAGE (MW ..
- Novel accelerated in vitro breeding for phytoremediationMIHALY CZAKO; Fiscal Year: 2007..physiological constraints on dehalogenation); (3) add valuable new traits (morphological variations, higher cellulose to lignin ratio) to elite lines from Phase I and (4) to a salt tolerant line; (5) improve mass propagation, ..
- HIV Microbicides and the Vaginal MicrobiomeSteven L Zeichner; Fiscal Year: 2012..microbial flora before and after microbicide application in a CONRAD repeat phase 1 study of nonoxynol-9 (N-9), cellulose sulfate (CS), and placebo using Affymetrix PhyloChip microarrays 2) Examine the portfolio of expressed genes in ..
- HEMOGLOBIN SYNTHESIS IN SICKLE CELL TRAIT INDIVIDUALSJOSEPH SHAEFFER; Fiscal Year: 1980..the relative amounts of 3H-radioactivity as HbS and HbA were determined by electrophoresis on cellulose acetate strips...
- STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS OF LIPOPOLYSACCHARIDES AND LIPID AKuni Takayama; Fiscal Year: 1993..coli D31m3 will be purified by a combination of DEAE cellulose column chromatography and/or silica gel thin-layer chromatography...
- A Novel Approach to Prevent Periduaral FibrosisJames Pachence; Fiscal Year: 2001..Simple bioresorbable barriers made from hyaluronic acid, regenerated cellulose, or collagen films or gels have been shown to have some efficacy in preventing inter-tissue adhesions, but there ..
- PROTEOLYSIS IN HUMAN ERYTHROID CELLSJOSEPH SHAEFFER; Fiscal Year: 1991..The pool of excess newly synthesized Alpha chains will be isolated by gel filtration chromatography or cellulose acetate electrophoresis, and their catabolism will be measured by the decrease in acid-precipitable 3H-..
- Analysis of the role of patellin in cytokinesisT Peterman; Fiscal Year: 2005..Because plant cells are surrounded by a rigid cellulose cell wall that renders them incapable of movement, the spatial and temporal patterns of cell division play a ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF RNA POL II TRANSCRIPTION PROTEINSGyanendra Kumar; Fiscal Year: 1991..will be developed by attaching synthetic DNA duplexes (representing individual protein binding domains) to cellulose, either by direct chemical linkage or via a cellulose-biotin-avidin-biotinylated DNA complex...
- MORTALITY & MORBIDITY IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTSJohn Daugirdas; Fiscal Year: 2001..serum albumin level) in patients randomly assigned to one of four groups: (A) moderate-dose dialysis, low-flux cellulose membrane, (B)high-dose dialysis, low-flux cellulose membrane, (C) moderate-dose dialysis, high- flux synthetic ..
- ISOLATION AND ACTION OF ADULT HEPATOCYTE MITOGENSHyam Leffert; Fiscal Year: 1991..to block the Factor Xo Xa conversion)), characterized structurally (subunit M/r (SDS-PAGE); peptide maps (cellulose TLC); primary sequence (deduced from rat liver cDNA sequences cloned and detected with anti-X-MCA in the ..
- Control of Initiation of Development in M. xanthusMitchell Singer; Fiscal Year: 2006..It has been estimated that approximately 95 percent of cellulose-decomposing myxobacteria and 55 percent of the proteolytic strains, including some M...
- PREVENTION OF POSTSURGICAL ADHESIONSJames Pachence; Fiscal Year: 2000..Simple bioresorbable barriers made from hyaluronic acid, regenerated cellulose, or collagen have been shown to have some efficacy in preventing inter-tissue adhesions, but there are still a ..
- TEAR ASSAY VS CLINICAL DIAGNOSIS IN HEALTH AND DRY EYERODERICK FULLARD; Fiscal Year: 1990..non-stimulated and stimulated tear proteins profiles in normals using established assays, the efficacy of cellulose sponges for non-stimulated tear collection will be compared with micropipettes...
- CHARACTERIZATION OF AH RECEPTOR-RADIOLIGAND INTERACTIONSStephen Safe; Fiscal Year: 1991..D1)-receptor complexes; e) the interactions of the receptor protein-radioligand complexes with DNA utilizing DNA-cellulose columns will also be determined; and the effects of radioligand structure on the nuclear uptake and persistence ..
- CELLULAR BIOCHEMISTRY--STRUCTURAL VARIANTYAGYA SINHA; Fiscal Year: 1990..Isolations will be carried out by electroelution from gels and by HPLC, Sephadex, and DEAE-cellulose chromatography. Radioimmunoassay and immunoblotting assays will be developed by standard procedures...
- MORTALITY AND MORBILITY IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTSThomas Depner; Fiscal Year: 2001..The -50% increment in dosage will be combined, using a 2 x 2 factorial design, with a comparison of cellulose-derived dialysis membranes and more porous, biocompatible dialysis membranes...
- PATHOBIOLOGICAL DETERMINANTS OF ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN YOUTHEdward Miller; Fiscal Year: 1992..The resulting peptide fragments will then be chromatographed on CM-cellulose and portions of the column effluent known to contain marker peptides derived from the chains of type I, III, IV ..
- DIET,APOPTOSIS AND COLON CARCINOGENESISJoanne Lupton; Fiscal Year: 2004..A secondary goal is to determine how supplementing fish oil-containing diets with pectin compared to cellulose synergistically enhances the protective effect of fish oil...
- NEUROSPORA DNA REPAIRAlice Schroeder; Fiscal Year: 1980..salt, Mg ions and pH optima and show identical chromatographic behavior on Sepharose-Blue Dextran, DEAE, and DNA-cellulose. Further characterization of these activities will be undertaken...
- Cellulose-Based Strips for Human Taste EvaluationLloyd Hastings; Fiscal Year: 2004The main goal of this application is to investigate the feasibility of using cellulose-based polymers, i.e., "edible film strips", as a substrate for delivery of taste stimuli to the oral cavity...
- SSB PROTEINS AS ORGANIZERS OF DNA PRECURSOR BIOSYNTHESISChristopher Mathews; Fiscal Year: 2001..Affinity chromatography with immobilized proteins and DNA-cellulose, non-denaturing gel electrophoresis, and immunoprecipitation will be used to distinguish those proteins in the ..
- BONE GROWTH AND RHBMP2Henry Vasconez; Fiscal Year: 2000..and lyophilization implantable matrices are produced by suspending protein-loaded particles in 2% carboxymethyl cellulose (CMC), lyophilizing, and cutting the dried material to size...
- PRODUCING LACTOLYZED MILK AND WHEY BY MONOLITHIC SUPPORTABDUL MAZID; Fiscal Year: 1999DESCRIPTION: (adapted from applicant's abstract) The goal of this research is to produce a flexible monolithic cellulose support with advantageous characteristics; a version with high activity of immobilized beta-galactosidase will be ..
- HIGH PERFORMANCE CENTRIFUGAL ULTRAFILTRATION DEVICESWilliam Bowers; Fiscal Year: 2001..A 7 mL prototype device having regenerated cellulose (RC) non-fouling membrane area 4x greater than current 2mL RC devices has been shown to have l00x greater rate ..
- CHEMORECEPTION FOR INSOLUBLE SUBSTANCES--STARCH & OILIsrael Ramirez; Fiscal Year: 1993..starch and the same fluid without starch, consistently preferred fluids containing starch but did not respond to cellulose. Experiments are proposed to examine the mechanisms by which chemosensory systems may detect insoluble ..
- FIBROBLASTIC HETEROGENEITY IN OROFACIAL SCARRINGCharles Bertolami; Fiscal Year: 1993..Mass cultures will be initiated for each of the tissue types. Using quantitative cellulose acetate electrophoresis and a panel of unique monoclonal antibodies that recognize novel epitopes in GAG chains, ..
- MECHANISMS OF GROWTH-PROMOTING ACTION OF TOXIC QUINONESTimothy Chan; Fiscal Year: 1993..be used include: Sephacryl S-300 chromatography, immunoprecipitation using antiphosphotyrosine antibody agarose, cellulose acetate electrophoresis, and protein and lipid phosphorylation...
- Novel Mucosal Models Predictive of Microbicide SafetyBetsy Herold; Fiscal Year: 2009..The clinical trial failures with nonoxynol-9 and cellulose sulfate highlight the challenges in microbicide research and the need to establish better markers predictive of ..
- Microbicide Effects on Efficacy, Safety, Innate ImmunityMarla J Keller; Fiscal Year: 2010..Carefully planned pilot clinical evaluation of compounds already in clinical trials (cellulose sulfate, acidform and tenofovir) as well as the proposed formulated SAMMA will focus on the effects of these ..