Genomes and Genes
Summary: Oils derived from plants or plant products.
Publications376 found, 100 shown here
- Oil content of Arabidopsis seeds: the influence of seed anatomy, light and plant-to-plant variationYonghua Li
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 48824 1312, USA
Phytochemistry 67:904-15. 2006....
- Mustard oils and cannabinoids excite sensory nerve fibres through the TRP channel ANKTM1Sven Eric Jordt
Department of Cellular and Molecular Pharmacology University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 2140, USA
Nature 427:260-5. 2004..These findings identify a cellular and molecular target for the pungent action of mustard oils and support an emerging role for TRP channels as ionotropic cannabinoid receptors...
- Effects of sea buckthorn (Hippophaë rhamnoides L.) seed and pulp oils on experimental models of gastric ulcer in ratsJianfeng Xing
College of Pharmacy, Xi an Medical University, 710061 Xi an, PR China
Fitoterapia 73:644-50. 2002..01). The results suggested that the CO(2)-extracted sea buckthorn seed and pulp oils have both preventive and curative effects against experimental gastric ulcers in rats...
- Tung tree DGAT1 and DGAT2 have nonredundant functions in triacylglycerol biosynthesis and are localized to different subdomains of the endoplasmic reticulumJay M Shockey
U S Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Southern Regional Research Center, New Orleans, Louisiana 70124, USA
Plant Cell 18:2294-313. 2006..These data suggest that DGAT1 and DGAT2 have nonredundant functions in plants and that the production of storage oils, including those containing unusual fatty acids, occurs in distinct ER subdomains...
- A comparative linkage map of oilseed rape and its use for QTL analysis of seed oil and erucic acid contentD Qiu
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, Huazhong Agricultural University, 1 Shizishan, 430070, Wuhan, China
Theor Appl Genet 114:67-80. 2006..The results provide new insights into the genetic control of seed oil and erucic acid content in oilseed rape, and demonstrate the utility of the linkage map and population...
- Seed-specific over-expression of an Arabidopsis cDNA encoding a diacylglycerol acyltransferase enhances seed oil content and seed weightC Jako
Seed Oil Biotechnology Group, National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7N 0W9, Canada
Plant Physiol 126:861-74. 2001..The DGAT activity in developing seed of transgenic lines was enhanced by 10% to 70%. Thus, the current study confirms the important role of DGAT in regulating the quantity of seed triacylglycerols and the sink size in developing seeds...
- Comparative transcriptome and metabolite analysis of oil palm and date palm mesocarp that differ dramatically in carbon partitioningFabienne Bourgis
Université de Bordeaux Ségalen, Laboratoire de Biogenese Membranaire, Bordeaux, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:12527-32. 2011....
- Palm tocotrienol exerted better antioxidant activities in bone than alpha-tocopherolSandra Maniam
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 103:55-60. 2008..This study suggests that palm tocotrienol plays an important role in preventing imbalance in bone metabolism due to free radicals...
- WRINKLED1 encodes an AP2/EREB domain protein involved in the control of storage compound biosynthesis in ArabidopsisAlex Cernac
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824 1319, USA
Plant J 40:575-85. 2004..This effect depended upon the presence of glucose in the growth medium or other sugars readily metabolized to glucose. Oil-accumulating seedlings showed aberrant development consistent with a prolonged embryonic state...
- Genotype-specific responses in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) subject to dietary fish oil replacement by vegetable oil: a liver transcriptomic analysisSofia Morais
Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, UK
BMC Genomics 12:255. 2011..This study investigates the influence of genotype on transcriptomic responses to sustainable feeds in Atlantic salmon...
- Comparative deep transcriptional profiling of four developing oilseedsManuel A Troncoso-Ponce
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Plant J 68:1014-27. 2011..Expression data for more than 350 genes encoding enzymes and proteins involved in lipid metabolism are available at the 'ARALIP' website (http://aralip.plantbiology.msu.edu/)...
- High-value oils from plantsJohn M Dyer
United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, US Arid Land Agricultural Research Center, Maricopa, AZ 85238, USA
Plant J 54:640-55. 2008..b>Plant oils can provide renewable sources of high-value fatty acids for both the chemical and health-related industries...
- Oleic acid content is responsible for the reduction in blood pressure induced by olive oilS Terés
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biomedicine, Department of Biology, Institut Universitari d Investigacions en Ciències de la Salut, University of the Balearic Islands, Carretera de Valldemossa Km 7 5, E 07122 Palma de Mallorca, Spain
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:13811-6. 2008..Similarly, soybean oil (with low OA content) did not reduce BP. This study demonstrates that olive oil induces its hypotensive effects through the action of OA...
- The Mediterranean diet improves the systemic lipid and DNA oxidative damage in metabolic syndrome individuals. A randomized, controlled, trialMaria Teresa Mitjavila
Department of Physiology, INSA, University of Barcelona, Spain
Clin Nutr 32:172-8. 2013..However, the effect of the MedDiet on biomarkers for oxidative damage has not been assessed in MetS individuals. We have investigated the effect of the MedDiet on systemic oxidative biomarkers in MetS individuals...
- Regulatory mechanisms underlying oil palm fruit mesocarp maturation, ripening, and functional specialization in lipid and carotenoid metabolismTimothy J Tranbarger
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UMR Diversité et Adaptation et Développement des Plantes, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Plant Physiol 156:564-84. 2011..Our results suggest that divergence has occurred in the regulatory components in this monocot fruit compared with those identified in the dicot tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) fleshy fruit model...
- Increasing the flow of carbon into seed oilRandall J Weselake
Agricultural Lipid Biotechnology Program Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2P5
Biotechnol Adv 27:866-78. 2009....
- Anti-atherogenic effects of seabuckthorn (Hippophaea rhamnoides) seed oilM Basu
Defence Institute of Physiology and Allied Sciences, Lucknow Road, Timarpur, Delhi 110054, India
Phytomedicine 14:770-7. 2007..These observations suggest that supercritical CO(2) extracted SBT seed oil has significant anti-atherogenic and cardioprotective activity...
- Transcriptome analysis of the oil-rich seed of the bioenergy crop Jatropha curcas LGustavo G L Costa
Centre for Molecular Biology and Genetic Engineering, State University of Campinas, UNICAMP, Campinas, SP, Brazil
BMC Genomics 11:462. 2010..As a non-food, drought-resistant and oil-rich crop, Jatropha curcas L. fulfils many of the requirements for biofuel production...
- DGAT1 and PDAT1 acyltransferases have overlapping functions in Arabidopsis triacylglycerol biosynthesis and are essential for normal pollen and seed developmentMeng Zhang
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Plant Cell 21:3885-901. 2009....
- Metabolic engineering of fatty acid biosynthesis in plantsJay J Thelen
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Metab Eng 4:12-21. 2002..plant transformation technology, metabolic engineering of oilseed fatty acids has become possible and transgenic plant oils represent some of the first successes in design of modified plant products...
- Plant triacylglycerols as feedstocks for the production of biofuelsTimothy P Durrett
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Plant J 54:593-607. 2008..Given their chemical similarities, plant oils represent a logical substitute for conventional diesel, a non-renewable energy source...
- Cloning and characterization of an acyl-CoA-dependent diacylglycerol acyltransferase 1 (DGAT1) gene from Tropaeolum majus, and a study of the functional motifs of the DGAT protein using site-directed mutagenesis to modify enzyme activity and oil contentJingyu Xu
National Research Council of Canada, Plant Biotechnology Institute, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Canada
Plant Biotechnol J 6:799-818. 2008..Thus, alteration of this putative serine/threonine protein kinase site can be exploited to enhance DGAT1 activity, and expression of mutated DGAT1 can be used to enhance oil content...
- Expression of ZmLEC1 and ZmWRI1 increases seed oil production in maizeBo Shen
Pioneer Hi Bred International, Inc, A DuPont Business, Johnston, Iowa 50131 1004, USA
Plant Physiol 153:980-7. 2010..These results emphasize the importance of field testing for developing a commercial high-oil product and highlight ZmWRI1 as a promising target for increasing oil production in crops...
- Maternal control of seed oil content in Brassica napus: the role of silique wall photosynthesisWei Hua
Key Laboratory of Oil Crop Biology of the Ministry of Agriculture, Oil Crops Research Institute of the Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Wuhan 430062, China
Plant J 69:432-44. 2012..Taken together, our results highlight an important role of silique wall photosynthesis in the regulation of seed oil content in terms of maternal effects...
- Increasing the energy density of vegetative tissues by diverting carbon from starch to oil biosynthesis in transgenic Arabidopsis- Sanjaya
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Plant Biotechnol J 9:874-83. 2011..The relative contribution of TAG compared to starch to the overall energy density increased 9.5-fold in one AGPRNAi-WRI1 transgenic line consistent with altered carbon partitioning from starch to oil...
- Oil-body-membrane proteins and their physiological functions in plantsTakashi L Shimada
Department of Botany, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 33:360-3. 2010..Knowledge of oleosin contributes a great deal to not only an insight into freezing tolerance of oilseeds, but also creating genetically modified plants for developing a bioenergy and biomass resource...
- Molecular approaches to improvement of Jatropha curcas Linn. as a sustainable energy cropT Sudhakar Johnson
Plant Metabolic Engineering Group, Reliance Life Sciences Pvt Ltd, Dhirubhai Ambani Life Sciences Center, R 282, Rabale, Navi Mumbai 400 701, India
Plant Cell Rep 30:1573-91. 2011..The information generated from molecular markers, transcriptome profiling and whole genome sequencing could accelerate the genetic upgradation of J. curcas through molecular breeding...
- Efficacy and safety of silexan, a new, orally administered lavender oil preparation, in subthreshold anxiety disorder - evidence from clinical trialsSiegfried Kasper
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 160:547-56. 2010..4 ± 7.1 and 12.0 ± 7.2 points at week 6 and by between 11.8 ± 7.7 and 16.0 ± 8.3 points at week 10. In GAD silexan and lorazepam showed comparable HAMA total score reductions (90% CI for mean value difference: -2.3; 2.8 points)...
- Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil and obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitusPablo Perez-Martinez
Lipid and Atherosclerosis Unit, IMIBIC Reina Sofia University Hospital University of Cordoba, Ciber Fisiopatologia Obesidad y Nutricion, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Spain
Curr Pharm Des 17:769-77. 2011....
- Brucea javanica oil induces apoptosis in T24 bladder cancer cells via upregulation of caspase-3, caspase-9, and inhibition of NF-kappaB and COX-2 expressionsGuo Guang Lou
Department of Urology, The First Affiliated Hospital, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hongzhou, China
Am J Chin Med 38:613-24. 2010..The molecular mechanism underlying these effects may be the activation of caspase apoptotic pathway by upregulation of the expression of caspase-3 and caspase-9 proteins and inhibition of the expression of NF-kappaB and COX-2 proteins...
- Biodiesel production from tung (Vernicia montana) oil and its blending properties in different fatty acid compositionsYi Hung Chen
Department of Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology, National Taipei University of Technology, Taipei 106, Taiwan
Bioresour Technol 101:9521-6. 2010..In addition, multiple linear correlations between biodiesel properties and its methyl ester composition were established...
- Jatropha curcas oil body proteome and oleosins: L-form JcOle3 as a potential phylogenetic markerSiam Popluechai
School of Biology, Institute for Research on Environment and Sustainability, Devonshire Building, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Plant Physiol Biochem 49:352-6. 2011..Alleles of JcOle3 and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in its intron were identified in J. curcas accessions, species and hybrids. Identified alleles and SNPs could serve as markers in phylogenetic or breeding studies...
- Olive oil and health: summary of the II international conference on olive oil and health consensus report, Jaén and Córdoba (Spain) 2008J Lopez-Miranda
Department of Medicine, Reina Sofia University Hospital, School of Medicine, Cordoba, Spain
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 20:284-94. 2010..Furthermore, results of case-control and cohort studies suggest that MUFA intake including OO is associated with a reduction in cancer risk (mainly breast, colorectal and prostate cancers)...
- Production of medium chain saturated fatty acids with enhanced antimicrobial activity from crude coconut fat by solid state cultivation of Yarrowia lipolyticaGeorgiana Parfene
Dunărea de Jos University of Galati, Faculty of Food Science and Engineering, 111 Domneasca Street, 800201 Galati, Romania
Food Chem 136:1345-9. 2013..5 to 1.56 ppm, significantly lower than values reported in literature. The results provide substantial evidence for obtaining biopreservative effects by coconut fat enzymatic hydrolysis...
- The Mediterranean diet pattern and its main components are associated with lower plasma concentrations of tumor necrosis factor receptor 60 in patients at high risk for cardiovascular diseaseMireia Urpi-Sarda
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
J Nutr 142:1019-25. 2012..01). This study suggests that a MD reduces TNFR concentrations in patients at high cardiovascular risk...
- Bitter melon seed oil-attenuated body fat accumulation in diet-induced obese mice is associated with cAMP-dependent protein kinase activation and cell death in white adipose tissuePei Hsuan Chen
Institute of Nutrition, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Nutr 142:1197-204. 2012..We conclude that BMSO is effective in attenuating body fat accumulation through mechanisms associated with PKA activation and programmed cell death in the WAT, but safety concerns need to be carefully addressed...
- Suppression of tumor growth by palm tocotrienols via the attenuation of angiogenesisWong Weng-Yew
Malaysian Palm Oil Board, 43000 Kajang, Selangor, Malaysia
Nutr Cancer 61:367-73. 2009..TRF significantly reduced serum vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) level in BALB/c mice. In conclusion, this study showed that palm tocotrienols exhibit anti-angiogenic properties that may assist in tumor regression...
- Beneficial effects of polyphenol-rich olive oil in patients with early atherosclerosisR J Widmer
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and College of Medicine, 200 1st Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Eur J Nutr 52:1223-31. 2013..The possible augmentation of endothelial function with the combined efforts of OO and EGCG is intriguing, yet unknown...
- Dietary vegetable oils do not alter the intestine transcriptome of gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata), but modulate the transcriptomic response to infection with Enteromyxum leeiJosep A Calduch-Giner
Nutrigenomics and Fish Growth Endocrinology Group, Department of Marine Species Biology, Culture and Pathology, Instituto de Acuicultura Torre de la Sal IATS CSIC, Ribera de Cabanes, Castellon, 12595, Spain
BMC Genomics 13:470. 2012....
- Time course of changes in the expression of insulin sensitivity-related genes after an acute load of virgin olive oilValentini Konstantinidou
Cardiovascular Risk and Nutrition Research Group, Institut Municipal d Investigació Mèdica IMIM Hospital del Mar, CIBER de Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutricion CIBEROBN, Barcelona, Spain
OMICS 13:431-8. 2009....
- Modulation of tau protein fibrillization by oleocanthalMaria Chiara Monti
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche e Biomediche, Universita degli Studi di Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano, Italy
J Nat Prod 75:1584-8. 2012....
- Biodegradation and detoxification of olive mill wastewater by selected strains of the mushroom genera Ganoderma and PleurotusSpyridon Ntougias
Democritus University of Thrace, Department of Environmental Engineering, Laboratory of Wastewater Management and Treatment Technologies, Vas Sofias 12, Xanthi, Greece
Chemosphere 88:620-6. 2012..OMW decolorization by Ganoderma strains was strongly correlated to the reduction of phenolics, whereas P. eryngii laccase activity was correlated with the effluent's decolorization...
- High-monounsaturated fatty acid diets lower both plasma cholesterol and triacylglycerol concentrationsP M Kris-Etherton
Graduate Program in Nutrition, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 70:1009-15. 1999..High-monounsaturated fatty acid (MUFA), cholesterol-lowering diets do not raise triacylglycerol or lower HDL cholesterol, but little is known about how peanut products, a rich source of MUFAs, affect CVD risk...
- Low-dose fish oil supplementation increases serum adiponectin without affecting inflammatory markers in overweight subjectsAnders Gammelmark
Department of Cardiology, Center for Cardiovascular Research, Aalborg Hospital, Aarhus University Hospital, 9000 Aalborg, Denmark
Nutr Res 32:15-23. 2012..In conclusion, daily supplementation with 1.1 g of marine n-3 PUFA significantly increased serum adiponectin, but the effect was small, and no overall anti-inflammatory effect of the supplement could be demonstrated...
- A diet rich in olive oil phenolics reduces oxidative stress in the heart of SAMP8 mice by induction of Nrf2-dependent gene expressionBanu Bayram
Institute of Human Nutrition and Food Science, Christian Albrechts University, Kiel, Germany
Rejuvenation Res 15:71-81. 2012..In conclusion, a diet rich in olive oil phenolics may prevent oxidative stress in the heart of SAMP8 mice by modulating Nrf2-dependent gene expression...
- Inhibitory effect of the essential oil of Curcuma longa L. and curcumin on aflatoxin production by Aspergillus flavus LinkFlavio Dias Ferreira
Department of Basic Health Sciences, State University of Maringa, Maringa 87020 900, Brazil
Food Chem 136:789-93. 2013..The levels of aflatoxin B(1) (AFB(1)) production were 1.0 and 42.7 μg/mL, respectively, for the samples treated with the essential oil of C. longa L. and curcumin at a concentration of 0.5%...
- Fish oil supplementation alters the plasma lipidomic profile and increases long-chain PUFAs of phospholipids and triglycerides in healthy subjectsInger Ottestad
Department of Health, Nutrition and Management, Faculty of Health Sciences, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences, Oslo, Norway
PLoS ONE 7:e42550. 2012..The aim of this study was to investigate the effect of fish oil supplementation on the plasma lipidomic profile in healthy subjects...
- Silexan, an orally administered Lavandula oil preparation, is effective in the treatment of 'subsyndromal' anxiety disorder: a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trialSiegfried Kasper
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 25:277-87. 2010..Lavandula oil preparation silexan is both efficacious and safe for the relief of anxiety disorder not otherwise specified. It has a clinically meaningful anxiolytic effect and alleviates anxiety related disturbed sleep...
- Transcriptome analysis of an oil-rich race A strain of Botryococcus braunii (BOT-88-2) by de novo assembly of pyrosequencing cDNA readsMasato Baba
Graduate School of Life and Environment Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennoudai 1 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8572, Japan
Bioresour Technol 109:282-6. 2012..The transcriptome data embraced candidate genes for majority of enzymes involved in the biosynthesis of unsaturated very long-chain fatty acids. The transcriptome dataset has been deposited in the GenBank/EMBL/DDBJ database...
- Vitamin E tocotrienols improve insulin sensitivity through activating peroxisome proliferator-activated receptorsFang Fang
Guangzhou Institute of Biomedicine and Health, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou Science City, Guangzhou, P R China
Mol Nutr Food Res 54:345-52. 2010..These lines of evidence collectively suggested that PPARs represent a set of molecular targets of tocotrienols...
- (n-3) fatty acids and cardiovascular health: are effects of EPA and DHA shared or complementary?Dariush Mozaffarian
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine and Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
J Nutr 142:614S-625S. 2012....
- New frontiers in oilseed biotechnology: meeting the global demand for vegetable oils for food, feed, biofuel, and industrial applicationsChaofu Lu
Department of Plant Sciences, Plant Pathology, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 22:252-9. 2011..Alternative crop platforms and emerging technologies for metabolic engineering also hold promise for meeting global demand for vegetable oils and for enhancing nutritional, industrial, and biofuel properties of vegetable oils...
- Modulation of cytokines, resistin, and distribution of adipose tissue in C57BL/6 mice by different high-fat dietsMariana Catta-Preta
Laboratory of Morphometry, Metabolism and Cardiovascular Disease, Biomedical Center, Institute of Biology, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Nutrition 28:212-9. 2012..To investigate whether changing the lipid source induces metabolic changes and/or modulates the adipose tissue distribution in mice fed with a high-fat (HF) diet...
- The effect of oil components on the physicochemical properties and drug delivery of emulsions: tocol emulsion versus lipid emulsionChi Feng Hung
School of Medicine, Fu Jen Catholic University, Taipei, Taiwan
Int J Pharm 335:193-202. 2007..The mean vesicle size of the tocol emulsion remained unchanged during 30 days at 37 degrees C. The lipid emulsion and aqueous micelle system, respectively, showed 11- and 16-fold increases in vesicle size after 30 days of storage...
- Phenolic molecules in virgin olive oils: a survey of their sensory properties, health effects, antioxidant activity and analytical methods. An overview of the last decadeAlessandra Bendini
Department of Food Science, University of Bologna P zza Goidanich 60, I 47023 Cesena FC, Italy
Molecules 12:1679-719. 2007..In particular, starting from the basic studies, the results of researches developed in the last ten years will be focused...
- Tailoring plant lipid composition: designer oilseeds come of ageJohnathan A Napier
Department of Biological Chemistry, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Herts AL5 2JQ, UK
Curr Opin Plant Biol 13:330-7. 2010..There is also growing interest in using plant oils as a replacement for petrochemicals, either for fuel or as a chemical feedstock...
- Tailoring of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) flesh lipid composition and sensory quality by replacing fish oil with a vegetable oil blendBente E Torstensen
National Institute of Nutrition and Seafood Research, N 5817 Bergen, Norway
J Agric Food Chem 53:10166-78. 2005..At the same time, 75% of the dietary fish oil can be replaced without compromising flesh VLCn-3 PUFA content, thereby providing a beneficial nutritional profile for human consumption...
- Endoplasmic reticulum, oleosins, and oils in seeds and tapetum cellsKai Hsieh
Center for Plant Cell Biology, Department of Botany and Plant Sciences, University of California, Riverside, California 92521, USA
Plant Physiol 136:3427-34. 2004
- A distinct DGAT with sn-3 acetyltransferase activity that synthesizes unusual, reduced-viscosity oils in Euonymus and transgenic seedsTimothy P Durrett
Department of Plant Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:9464-9. 2010....
- The identification and mapping of candidate genes and QTL involved in the fatty acid desaturation pathway in Brassica napusA M Smooker
Department of Crop Genetics, John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, NR4 7UH, UK
Theor Appl Genet 122:1075-90. 2011..napus that might be useful for modulating the content or extent of desaturation of polyunsaturated fatty acids, only one of which coincides with the anticipated position of a candidate gene, an orthologue of FAD2...
- The chemical composition of some Lauraceae essential oils and their antifungal activitiesA Simic
Institute of Botany, Faculty of Biology, University of Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Phytother Res 18:713-7. 2004..nobilis. In sassafras essential oil safrole was the major component and in the oil of C. zeylanicum the main component was trans-cinnamaldehyde. The essential oil of cinnamon showed the strongest antifungal activity...
- Olive oil and cardiovascular healthMaria Isabel Covas
Cardiovascular Risk and Nutrition Research Group, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica IMIM, CIBER de Fisiopatologia de la Obesidad y Nutricion CIBEROBN, Barcelona, Spain
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 54:477-82. 2009....
- Association mapping of seed oil content in Brassica napus and comparison with quantitative trait loci identified from linkage mappingJun Zou
National Key Laboratory of Crop Genetic Improvement, Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan 430070, China
Genome 53:908-16. 2010..napus...
- Daily supplementation of tocotrienol-rich fraction or alpha-tocopherol did not induce immunomodulatory changes in healthy human volunteersAmmu K Radhakrishnan
Department of Pathology, International Medical University, 126, Jalan 19 155B, Bukit Jalil, 57000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Br J Nutr 101:810-5. 2009..As these observations were made in the absence of any immunogenic challenge, we feel it would be of benefit to study if there would be any differences observed when an immunogenic challenge such as vaccination were introduced...
- Tocotrienol suppresses adipocyte differentiation and Akt phosphorylation in 3T3-L1 preadipocytesHarumi Uto-Kondo
Internal Medicine 1, National Defense Medical College, Tokorozawa shi, Saitama 359 8513, Japan
J Nutr 139:51-7. 2009..Furthermore, tocotrienol could act as an antiadipogenic vitamin in the nutrient-mediated regulation of body fat through its effects on differentiation...
- Olive oil in parenteral nutritionAleix Sala-Vila
Institute of Human Nutrition, School of Medicine, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 10:165-74. 2007..The purpose of this review is to provide background information about the rationale for this emulsion, to collate and synthesize the literature about it, and to highlight recent studies in which it has been used...
- Palm oil: biochemical, physiological, nutritional, hematological, and toxicological aspects: a reviewD O Edem
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Uyo, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
Plant Foods Hum Nutr 57:319-41. 2002..Red palm oil, by virtue of its beta-carotene content, may protect against vitamin A deficiency and certain forms of cancer...
- Castor phospholipid:diacylglycerol acyltransferase facilitates efficient metabolism of hydroxy fatty acids in transgenic ArabidopsisHarrie van Erp
Institute of Biological Chemistry, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington 99164 6340, USA
Plant Physiol 155:683-93. 2011..We show the usefulness of RcPDAT1A for engineering plants with high levels of HFAs and alleviating bottlenecks due to the production of unusual FAs in transgenic oilseeds...
- Traceability of plant contribution in olive oil by amplified fragment length polymorphismsSimona Pafundo
Division of Genetics and Environmental Biotechnology, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11 A, 43100 Parma, Italy
J Agric Food Chem 53:6995-7002. 2005....
- Modulation of the transient receptor potential channel TRPA1 by phosphatidylinositol 4,5-biphosphate manipulatorsYuji Karashima
KU Leuven Department of Mol Cell Biology, Lab Ion Channel Research, Campus Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, Bus 802, B 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Pflugers Arch 457:77-89. 2008....
- Immunomodulatory and therapeutic properties of the Nigella sativa L. seedMohamed Labib Salem
Department of Surgery, Section of Surgical Oncology, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Int Immunopharmacol 5:1749-70. 2005..Ultimately, results emerging from such studies will substantially improve the immunotherapeutic application of TQ in clinical settings...
- Mediterranean diet and all-causes mortality after myocardial infarction: results from the GISSI-Prevenzione trialF Barzi
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Consorzio Mario Negri Sud, Santa Maria Imbaro, Italy
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:604-11. 2003..To ascertain whether simple dietary advice to increase the consumption of Mediterranean foods, given in a clinical setting, leads to reduced mortality after a myocardial infarction...
- Conditional QTL mapping of oil content in rapeseed with respect to protein content and traits related to plant development and grain yieldJianyi Zhao
Crop Research Institute, Zhejiang Academy of Agricultural Sciences, 310021 Hangzhou, People s Republic of China
Theor Appl Genet 113:33-8. 2006..Furthermore, conditional QTL mapping can reveal additional QTL with small effects that are undetectable in unconditional mapping...
- Olive-oil consumption and health: the possible role of antioxidantsR W Owen
Division of Toxicology and Cancer Risk Factors, German Cancer Research Center, Heidelberg
Lancet Oncol 1:107-12. 2000....
- Vernonia DGATs increase accumulation of epoxy fatty acids in oilRunzhi Li
Department of Plant and Soil Science, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Plant Biotechnol J 8:184-95. 2010..Both DGAT1 and DGAT2 increase epoxy fatty acid accumulation with DGAT2 having much greater impact...
- Biological and pharmacological activities of carvacrol and carvacrol bearing essential oilsK Husnu Can Baser
Anadolu University, Faculty of Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacognosy, 26470 Eskisehir, Turkey
Curr Pharm Des 14:3106-19. 2008..This paper highlights these activities and attempts to explain the possible in vivo mechanism of action of carvacrol...
- Genetic control of storage oil synthesis in seeds of ArabidopsisDouglas H Hobbs
John Innes Centre, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7UH United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 136:3341-9. 2004....
- Pilot study of dietary fatty acid supplementation in the treatment of adult periodontitisElliot D Rosenstein
Arthritis and Rheumatic Disease Center, St Barnabas Medical Center, 200 South Orange Avenue, Livingston, NJ 07039, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:213-8. 2003..Additional studies will be necessary to more fully assess the potential of these agents to favorably affect periodontal inflammation...
- Gene discovery from Jatropha curcas by sequencing of ESTs from normalized and full-length enriched cDNA library from developing seedsPurushothaman Natarajan
Genomics Laboratory, Department of Genetic Engineering, SRM University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, 603 203, India
BMC Genomics 11:606. 2010..To overcome this hurdle, the current gene discovery project was initiated with an objective of isolating as many functional genes as possible from J. curcas by large scale sequencing of expressed sequence tags (ESTs)...
- Olive oil, the mediterranean diet, and cardiovascular healthChristina L Huang
Department of Surgery, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
J Am Coll Surg 207:407-16. 2008
- Olive oil and red wine antioxidant polyphenols inhibit endothelial activation: antiatherogenic properties of Mediterranean diet phytochemicalsMaria Annunziata Carluccio
C N R Institute of Clinical Physiology, Lecce, Italy
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 23:622-9. 2003..Because monocyte adhesion to the endothelium is crucial in early atherogenesis, we evaluated whether typical olive oil and red wine polyphenols affect endothelial-leukocyte adhesion molecule expression and monocyte adhesion...
- Antimicrobial activity of essential oils and other plant extractsK A Hammer
Department of Microbiology, The University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Western Australia
J Appl Microbiol 86:985-90. 1999The antimicrobial activity of plant oils and extracts has been recognized for many years. However, few investigations have compared large numbers of oils and extracts using methods that are directly comparable...
- Dietary fat intake and the risk of depression: the SUN ProjectAlmudena Sanchez-Villegas
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
PLoS ONE 6:e16268. 2011..Emerging evidence relates some nutritional factors to depression risk. However, there is a scarcity of longitudinal assessments on this relationship...
- Repellency of volatile oils from plants against three mosquito vectorsA Tawatsin
National Institute of Health, Department of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Public Health, 88/7 Tiwanon Rd, Nonthaburi 11000, Thailand
J Vector Ecol 26:76-82. 2001..The three volatile oils can be formulated with vanillin as mosquito repellents in various forms to replace deet (N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide), the most common chemical repellent currently available...
- Antifungal activity of the essential oil of Thymus pulegioides on Candida, Aspergillus and dermatophyte speciesEugénia Pinto
Department of Microbiology CEQOFF, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Porto, 4050 Porto, Portugal
J Med Microbiol 55:1367-73. 2006..The present study indicates that T. pulegioides essential oil has considerable antifungal activity, deserving further investigation for clinical applications...
- TRPA1 acts as a cold sensor in vitro and in vivoYuji Karashima
Laboratory of Ion Channel Research, Division of Physiology, Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Campus Gasthuisberg O and N1, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Herestraat 49 bus 802, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:1273-8. 2009..Finally, cold plate and tail-flick experiments reveal TRPA1-dependent, cold-induced nociceptive behavior in mice. We conclude that TRPA1 acts as a major sensor for noxious cold...
- Antinociceptive effects of Teucrium polium L total extract and essential oil in mouse writhing testMohammad Abdollahi
Department of Toxicology and Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 14155 6451, Tehran
Pharmacol Res 48:31-5. 2003..polium comparable to those of hyoscine and indomethacin and suggests a good place for it in antispasmodic therapies in human. The presence of flavonoids and sterols might be responsible for the anti-inflammatory activity of this plant...
- Red palm oil: nutritional, physiological and therapeutic roles in improving human wellbeing and quality of lifeO O Oguntibeju
Oxidative Stress Research Centre, Department of Biomedical Sciences, Faculty of Health and Wellness Sciences, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Bellville, South Africa
Br J Biomed Sci 66:216-22. 2009..This review provides a comprehensive overview of the nutritional, physiological and biochemical roles of red palm oil in improving wellbeing and quality of life...
- In vitro permeation and in vivo anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of nanoscaled emulsions containing ibuprofen for topical deliveryGhassan Z Abdullah
School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Minden, Penang, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 6:387-96. 2011..As a topical delivery system, a nanoscaled emulsion is considered a good carrier of several active ingredients that convey several side effects upon oral administration, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)...
- HDL-related mechanisms of olive oil protection in cardiovascular diseaseJosé M Lou-Bonafonte
Departamento de Farmacología y Fisiología, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud y del Deporte, Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza, Spain
Curr Vasc Pharmacol 10:392-409. 2012..Further studies in this field in humans and in animal models are warranted due to the complexity of HDL particles...
- Transcriptome analysis of an oil-rich race B strain of Botryococcus braunii (BOT-22) by de novo assembly of pyrosequencing cDNA readsMotohide Ioki
Environmental Biology Division, National Institute for Environmental Studies, Onogawa 16 2, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8506, Japan
Bioresour Technol 109:292-6. 2012..braunii. All transcriptome sequences have been deposited in the GenBank/EMBL/DDBJ database...
- Insecticidal properties of essential plant oils against the mosquito Culex pipiens molestus (Diptera: Culicidae)Abdallah F Traboulsi
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Lebanese University, Beirut, Lebanon
Pest Manag Sci 58:491-5. 2002..Thymol, carvacrol, (1R)-(+)-alpha-pinene and (1S)-(-)-alpha-pinene were the most toxic (LC50 = 36-49 mg litre-1), while menthone, 1,8-cineole, linalool and terpineol (LC50 = 156-194 mg litre-1) were less toxic...
- Cytotoxic and apoptotic activity of essential oil from Ocimumviride towards COLO 205 cellsMadhunika Sharma
Oncology Group, Pharmacology Division, Indian Institute of Integrative Medicine, Jammu J and K 180016, India
Food Chem Toxicol 48:336-44. 2010..Our results reveal that EO has apoptosis inducing effect against COLO 205 cells in vitro and is a promising candidate for further anti-cancer study...
- Duplicate maize Wrinkled1 transcription factors activate target genes involved in seed oil biosynthesisBenjamin Pouvreau
Universite de Lyon, Ecole Normale Superieure de Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, IFR128 Biosciences Lyon Gerland, Unité Reproduction et Développement des Plantes, F 69364 Lyon, France
Plant Physiol 156:674-86. 2011..Interestingly, the higher seed oil content in ZmWri1a overexpression lines is not accompanied by a reduction in starch, thus opening possibilities for the use of the transgenic maize lines in breeding programs...
- Parenteral lipid emulsions based on olive oil compared with soybean oil in preterm (<28 weeks' gestation) neonates: a randomised controlled trialGirish C Deshpande
Department of Neonatal Paediatrics, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Perth, Australia
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 49:619-25. 2009..New olive oil-based (OL) lipid emulsions (olive:soy oil = 4:1) have lower polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) (20% vs 60%) and higher vitamin E content (an antioxidant) compared with traditional soybean oil (SO) emulsions...
- Traceability markers to the botanical origin in olive oilsCristina Montealegre
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Alcala, Ctra Madrid Barcelona Km 33 600, 28871 Alcala de Henares, Madrid, Spain
J Agric Food Chem 58:28-38. 2010..They have been considered as traceability markers to the botanical origin and classified, in this work, as compositional and genetical markers...
- Echium oil reduces atherosclerosis in apoB100-only LDLrKO miceLolita M Forrest
Department of Pathology Section on Lipid Sciences, Wake Forest School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, United States
Atherosclerosis 220:118-21. 2012..Echium oil contains stearidonic acid (SDA; 18:4, n-3), which is metabolized to EPA in humans and mice, resulting in decreased plasma triglycerides...
- Effects of the total replacement of fish-based diet with plant-based diet on the hepatic transcriptome of two European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) half-sibfamilies showing different growth rates with the plant-based dietFlorian Geay
IFREMER, UMR 1067, Departement Physiologie Fonctionnelle des Organismes Marins, Technopole Brest Iroise, BP 70, 29280 Plouzane, France
BMC Genomics 12:522. 2011..The main objective of the present study was to analyse the effects of a plant-based diet on the hepatic transcriptome of European sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax)...
- Cofactome analyses reveal enhanced flux of carbon into oil for potential biofuel productionDaniel M Hayden
Department of Plant Biology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
Plant J 67:1018-28. 2011..These data highlight a close association between cofactomes and carbon partitioning, thereby providing a biotechnological target for conversion of starch to oil...
- Antibacterial effect of some essential oils administered alone or in combination with NorfloxacinAntonio Rosato
Department Farmaco Chimico, Section of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bari, Via Orabona 4, Bari, Italy
Phytomedicine 14:727-32. 2007....
- Safety and efficacy of a lipid emulsion containing a mixture of soybean oil, medium-chain triglycerides, olive oil, and fish oil: a randomised, double-blind clinical trial in premature infants requiring parenteral nutritionErika Tomsits
2nd Department of Paediatrics, Semmelweis University, Budapest, Hungary
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 51:514-21. 2010....
- Fatty Acids and Cardiovascular HealthDariush Mozaffarian; Fiscal Year: 2007..End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Impact of feeding on brain response to food stimuli in lean and obese subjectsMarie Pierre St Onge; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- INTERACTIONS OF TRPV1 AND TRPA1 AND INFLAMMATORY PAINArmen N Akopian; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Mechanisms of Nociceptive Neuronal PlasticityARMEN AKOPIAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Markers of normoglycemic remission in obese diabeticsGuillermo Umpierrez; Fiscal Year: 2006..Identifying such markers will facilitate and guide future therapeutic interventions and may identify patients at risk to develop chronic complications of diabetes ..
- Lipidomics Session ISSFAL 2006JAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2006..ISSFAL 2006 is expected to be among the most important international lipid metabolism conferences of the year, and a lipidomics symposium is timely given the increasing progress in this area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Oxygen Sensitive Signaling in Primary Cardiac FibroblastChandan Sen; Fiscal Year: 2007..This raises a significant broad-based issue of controlling ambient O2 during cell culture. Finally, an isolated cell culture model to study chronic moderate hypoxia followed by reoxygenation is offered. ..
- LCPUFA Status and Birth Outcome in IndiaJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007..Positive results would justify an intervention studies to include LCPUFA in the diets of pregnant women in developed and developing countries. ..
- Gene-Environment Interactions in Obesity and DiabetesTracy Nelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Environment: Dr. Nelson will have an outstanding environment in which to carry out the proposed study, as well as, the necessary resources and support to successfully complete her training. ..
- BIOCHEMICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF PPARJOHN VANDEN HEUVEL; Fiscal Year: 2008..Taken together the proposed studies will greatly enhance our knowledge of PPARalpha's mechanism of action and hence our understanding of an important class of carcinogen. ..
- PREVENTION OF COLORECTAL CANCER BY iNOS AND COX-2 SELECTIVE INHIBITORSCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Endocannabinoid Analogs as Anti-inflammatory AgentsSumner Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2008..Thus, agents such as NAGly that can regulate in vivo anandamide levels could be effective modulators of many of these health related processes. ..
- Interaction of Nutrient & Organochlorine AbsorptionPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research is important because of the biological and clinical importance of OCs in health and disease and they provide considerable new insights into how OCs are carried and delivered to the various organs in the body. ..
- The elmiric acids: biologically active anandamide analogs.SUMNER HOWARD BURSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..A promising use for these compounds would be as narcotic replacement agents. ..
- Joint Action Analysis of Poly-drug WithdrawalRobert Raffa; Fiscal Year: 2006..g., electrophysiologic or molecular biology techniques. An improved understanding of how withdrawal is influenced by poly-drug abuse could lead to development of enhanced clinical treatment. ..
- HIGH-THROUGHPUT SCEENS FOR ASSESSING TASTE SENSITIVITYJOHN GLENDINNING; Fiscal Year: 2001..A normative data-base for both screens will be established and made available to the scientific community. The assay procedures developed will be applicable by a single laboratory technician with limited experience. ..
- Transmucosal Intra-Oral Drug Delivery System for THCMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- DIETARY ESSENTIAL FATTY ACID ACCUMULATION IN RETINAJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Sub-normal development will be directly revealed via functional tests to assess the impact of low omega-3 fatty acid status on develop of vision acid status on development of vision and related health parameters. ..
- NON PSYCHOACTIVE CANNABINOIDS WITH THERAPEUTIC POTENTIALSumner Burstein; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- SOURCES OF NEUROACTIVE ANALGESIC N-ACYLETHANOLAMINESKent Chapman; Fiscal Year: 2002..as well as by molecular genetic approaches (cultures derived from CBI-knockout mice). Results from this research should target new botanical sources for development as neuroactive therapeutics. ..
- ESTROGEN EFFECT ON COLLATERAL GROWTH AND FUNCTIONKathryn Lamping; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- MODULATION OF INTESTINAL OBESITY SIGNALSPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the apo A-IV knockout and transgenic animals will be used to determine if there is interaction between the lymph glucose and lymph apo A-IV signals. ..
- MECHANISMS FOR CHEMOPREVENTION OF COLON CANCERCHINTHALAPALLY RAO; Fiscal Year: 2004..Tissue distribution and comparative metabolism studies of curcumin and PEMC will be studied with synthetic [3H] curcumin and [3H]-PEMC in vivo in male F-344 rats. ..
- Brainstem Mechanisms of Craniofacial Muscle PainJIN RO; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- GENE-DIET INTERACTIONS AND HEART DISEASEHANNAI CAMPOS; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will provide the most complete data set to study numerous hypotheses relating genes, diet, and CHD, and could lead to specific targeted interventions for reducing the development of CHD. ..
- Compositions for Prevention/Prophylactic Treatment of Poison Ivy DermatitisMahmoud Elsohly; Fiscal Year: 2006..This proposal addresses a major public health problem, namely contact allergic dermatitis and promises the development of an effective agent to address this problem. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Microchip to Detect Influenza Infection and Type in Nasopharyngeal SwabsCatherine M Klapperich; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Monocyte / Macrophage TLR4 Expression and Signaling: A Link between Obesity and CBrian McFarlin; Fiscal Year: 2008..The primary purpose of this investigation is to determine if obesity status alters TLR4 signaling and/or inflammatory cytokine production in blood monocyte and adipose tissue macrophage. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Conference--Wound Healing : O2 and Emerging TherapeuticsChandan Sen; Fiscal Year: 2002..Oxygen Sensing Oxidant Signaling & Redox Regulated Gene Expression Oxygen Therapy of Wounds Potential and Limitations of Clinical Gene Therapy for Wound Care Wound Angiogenesis Inflammation and Bacterial Control Clinical Care ..
- Gas phase derivatization for lipidomic MS analysisJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Anti-Trypanosomal Agents from a Neotropical CloudforestWILLIAM SETZER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term benefit of this research project is the development of new medicines to treat patients with Chagas disease. ..
- NMR systems : 2 Bruker Avance 500 ConsolesAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2006..The areas of public health research include, among others, cancer, infectious diseases, neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, and heart and cardiovascular disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- PRECISE ISOTOPE RATIO CHROMATOGRAPHY AND STABLE TRACERSJAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2004..The successful accomplishment of these plans will yield new tools and experimental approaches for investigation of the impact of developmental factors and recent physiological history on development of chronic disease. ..
- Massaging Preterm Infants Enhances GrowthTiffany Field; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..