Genomes and Genes
gamma linolenic acid
Summary: An omega-6 fatty acid produced in the body as the delta 6-desaturase metabolite of linoleic acid. It is converted to dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid, a biosynthetic precursor of monoenoic prostaglandins such as PGE1. (From Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications216 found, 100 shown here
- Evening primrose oil effects on osteoclasts during tooth movementSuwimol Taweechaisupapong
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Faculty of Dentistry, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Angle Orthod 75:356-61. 2005..05). This study indicates that oral administration of EPO can increase the number of osteoclasts and may accelerate orthodontic tooth movement...
- The use of alpha-lipoic acid (ALA), gamma linolenic acid (GLA) and rehabilitation in the treatment of back pain: effect on health-related quality of lifeM Ranieri
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Unit, Neurological and Psychiatric Sciences Department, Aldo Moro University, Bari 70124, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 22:45-50. 2009..Oral treatment with alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) and gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) for six weeks in synergy with rehabilitation therapy improved neuropathic symptoms and deficits in patients with radicular neuropathy...
- Dietary gamma-linolenate attenuates tumor growth in a rodent model of prostatic adenocarcinoma via suppression of elevated generation of PGE(2) and 5S-HETEHung Pham
Department of Dermatology TB 192, School of Medicine, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 74:271-82. 2006..Taken together, the findings showed that intake of GLA-enriched diet does reduce prostatic cancer development in L-W rats and could serve as a non-toxic adjunct in management of human prostatic cancer...
- LC/ESR/MS study of spin trapped carbon-centred radicals formed from in vitro lipoxygenase-catalysed peroxidation of gamma-linolenic acidQingfeng Yu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Nursing, and Allied Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105, USA
Free Radic Res 42:442-55. 2008..The results provided a good starting point for ongoing research in defining the possible biological effects of radicals generated from GLA peroxidation...
- Antitumour and pro-apoptotic actions of highly unsaturated fatty acids in gliomaH A Leaver
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Edinburgh University, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 66:19-29. 2002..The antitumour activity of three HUFA (arachidonic acid, gamma linolenic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid) were studied in glioma cells and tissue...
- Distribution and metabolism of dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid (DGLA, 20:3n-6) by oral supplementation in ratsRumi Umeda-Sawada
Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Ochanomizu University, Tokyo, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:2121-30. 2006..The mechanism for GLA administration to improve atopic eczema is thought to involve an increase in the concentration of DGLA metabolized from GLA, so these results suggest that the dietary effect of DGLA would be more dominant than GLA...
- Induction of apoptosis in K562/ADM cells by gamma-linolenic acid involves lipid peroxidation and activation of caspase-3Xiuqin Kong
Department of Biology, College of Life Science, Nanjing University, Nanjing, Jiangsu, China
Chem Biol Interact 162:140-8. 2006..The results also showed that the malondialdehyde (MDA) content was also significantly elevated, and antioxidant BHT could block GLA cytotoxity, indicating the cytotoxity induced by GLA may be due to lipid peroxidation...
- Dynamics of reactive oxygen intermediate production in human glioma: n-6 essential fatty acid effectsH A Leaver
Department of Pharmacology, University of Edinburgh, UK
Eur J Clin Invest 29:220-31. 1999..Local essential fatty acid (EFA) deficiencies in tumour cells may limit tumour ROI generation. This deficiency may be rectified by the addition of exogenous EFA...
- Gamma-linolenic acid alters the composition of mitochondrial membrane subfractions, decreases outer mitochondrial membrane binding of hexokinase and alters carnitine palmitoyltransferase I properties in the Walker 256 rat tumourAlison Colquhoun
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, CEP 05508 900, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1583:74-84. 2002....
- gamma-Linolenic acid and eicosapentaenoic acid induce modifications in mitochondrial metabolism, reactive oxygen species generation, lipid peroxidation and apoptosis in Walker 256 rat carcinosarcoma cellsA Colquhoun
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Brazil
Biochim Biophys Acta 1533:207-19. 2001....
- Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is cytotoxic to 36B10 malignant rat astrocytoma cells but not to 'normal' rat astrocytesS Vartak
Radiation Research Laboratory, Department of Radiology, University of Iowa, Iowa City 52242, USA
Br J Cancer 77:1612-20. 1998..The lipoxygenase inhibitor NDGA did not affect the toxicity produced by GLA. Thus, GLA is toxic to the neoplastic astrocytoma cells but not to normal astrocytes...
- Modifications in mitochondrial metabolism and ultrastructure and their relationship to tumour growth inhibition by gamma-linolenic acidA Colquhoun
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, , , , Brasil
Mol Cell Biochem 218:13-20. 2001....
- From bench to the clinic: gamma-linolenic acid therapy of human gliomasUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 1083 Main Street, Walpole, MA 02081, USA corrected
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 70:539-52. 2004..In view of this, large-scale, double blind studies are needed to establish the usefulness of GLA in the treatment of malignant brain tumors...
- Gamma-linolenic acid therapy of human glioma-a review of in vitro, in vivo, and clinical studiesUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Shaker Heights, OH 42100, USA
Med Sci Monit 13:RA119-31. 2007..The low neurotoxicity of GLA to normal brain neurons and selective activity against tumor cells suggests that it could be an effective anti-glioma molecule...
- Intracellular oxidation by human glioma cell populations: effect of arachidonic acidH A Leaver
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Edinburgh, Crewe Road, Edinburgh EH4 2XU UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 70:449-53. 2004Arachidonic acid (AA) and Gamma linolenic acid have been shown to limit glioma cell growth, stimulate apoptosis and lipid peroxidation...
- Effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on the drug sensitivity of human tumour cell lines resistant to either cisplatin or doxorubicinJ A Plumb
CRC Department of Medical Oncology, University of Glasgow, Bearsden, UK
Br J Cancer 67:728-33. 1993..The combination of polyunsaturated fatty acids and cytotoxic drugs may have clinical potential provided that the normal tissue toxicities of the two treatments are not additive...
- Gamma-linolenic acid inhibits both tumour cell cycle progression and angiogenesis in the orthotopic C6 glioma model through changes in VEGF, Flt1, ERK1/2, MMP2, cyclin D1, pRb, p53 and p27 protein expressionJuliano Andreoli Miyake
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, Biomedical Sciences Institute, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Lipids Health Dis 8:8. 2009..The aim of the present study was to determine the mechanisms by which gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) osmotic pump infusion alters glioma cell proliferation, and whether it affects cell cycle control and angiogenesis in the C6 glioma in vivo...
- Highly unsaturated fatty acid induced tumour regression in glioma pharmacodynamics and bioavailability of gamma linolenic acid in an implantation glioma model: effects on tumour biomass, apoptosis and neuronal tissue histologyH A Leaver
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Edinburgh, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 67:283-92. 2002..model, using the C6 glioma cell line, was used to investigate the bioactivity of locally infused n-6 HUFA gamma linolenic acid (GLA). Rat brains (15 normal and 37 C6 tumour bearing) were infused with vehicle or GLA 200 microM-2 mM...
- Intravesical meglumine gamma-linolenic acid in superficial bladder cancer: an efficacy studyN M Harris
Solent Department of Urology, St Mary s Hospital NHS Trust, Portsmouth, UK
Eur Urol 42:39-42. 2002..We assessed the efficacy of the novel intravesical formulation, meglumine gamma-linolenic acid (MeGLA), in a phase II trial, in patients with recurrent, superficial bladder cancer...
- Peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-gamma (PPAR-gamma) mediates the action of gamma linolenic acid in breast cancer cellsW G Jiang
Metastasis Research Group, University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 62:119-27. 2000b>Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) is a polyunsaturated fatty acid, which induces cytotoxicity and regulates cell adhesion in cancer cells. The molecular mechanism of these actions is not clear...
- Effect of dietary GLA+/-tamoxifen on the growth, ER expression and fatty acid profile of ER positive human breast cancer xenograftsF S Kenny
Professorial Unit of Surgery, City Hospital, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 92:342-7. 2001b>Gamma linolenic acid (GLA) possesses a number of selective anti-tumour properties including modulation of steroid receptor structure and function...
- Effects of gamma-linolenic acid and docosahexaenoic acid in formulae on brain fatty acid composition in artificially reared ratsG R Ward
Department of Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Lipids 34:1057-63. 1999..These results suggest that dietary GLA, during development, differs from high dietary levels of AA in that it does not lead to reductions in brain DHA...
- Five-lipoxygenase inhibitors reduce Panc-1 survival: the mode of cell death and synergism of MK886 with gamma linolenic acidK M Anderson
Department of Medicine, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Anticancer Res 18:791-800. 1998..In a European clinical trial, gamma linolenic acid, a polyunsaturated fatty acid that generates free radicals has been combined with 5-fluorouracil as ..
- Stereotactic radiosurgery XII. Large AVM and the failure of the radiation response modifier gamma linolenic acid to improve the therapeutic ratioE C Sims
Department of Radiotherapy, St Bartholomew's Hospital, West Smithfield, London, UK
Br J Neurosurg 15:28-34. 2001....
- Gamma linolenic acid: an antiinflammatory omega-6 fatty acidRakesh Kapoor
Science and Technology, Bioriginal Food and Science Corp, 102 Melville Street, Saskatoon, SK S7J 0R1, Canada
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 7:531-4. 2006..b>Gamma linolenic acid (GLA, all cis 6, 9, 12-Octadecatrienoic acid, C18:3, n-6), is produced in the body from linoleic acid (all ..
- Gamma linolenic acid regulates expression of maspin and the motility of cancer cellsW G Jiang
University Department of Surgery, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 237:639-44. 1997..This study examined the effect of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), an essential fatty acid (EFA) with anticancer properties, on the expression of maspin and motility ..
- Structural characterization of triacylglycerol in several oils containing gamma-linolenic acidSatoru Shimizu
The United Graduate School of Agriculture Sciences, Iwate University, Morioka, Iwate 020 8550, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:60-7. 2003..8% in EPO, and 56.6% in BIO. In OBLO, the GLA level at the sn-2 position of the major TG species was higher than that in EPO. In BIO, the GLA level at the sn-2 position of the major TG species was lower than those in OBLO and EPO...
- The therapeutic effect of evening primrose oil in atopic dermatitis patients with dry scaly skin lesions is associated with the normalization of serum gamma-interferon levelsSungpil Yoon
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Inha University, Inchon, Republic of Korea
Skin Pharmacol Appl Skin Physiol 15:20-5. 2002..The restoration of serum IFN-gamma levels indicates that EPO might exert its effect through the modulation of the immunological mechanism involving IFN-gamma...
- Influence of dietary supplementation with long-chain n-3 or n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids on blood inflammatory cell populations and functions and on plasma soluble adhesion molecules in healthy adultsF Thies
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
Lipids 36:1183-93. 2001....
- Down the primrose path: petechiae in a neonate exposed to herbal remedy for parturitionKathy E Wedig
Division of Neonatology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, The University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
J Pediatr 152:140, 140.e1. 2008
- Evening primrose oil and fish oil for severe chronic mastalgia: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trialJacqueline Blommers
Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Vrije Universiteit University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Am J Obstet Gynecol 187:1389-94. 2002..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the effect of evening primrose oil and fish oil on breast pain in premenopausal women with severe chronic mastalgia, in a randomized double-blind factorial clinical trial...
- Anti-wrinkling effects of the mixture of vitamin C, vitamin E, pycnogenol and evening primrose oil, and molecular mechanisms on hairless mouse skin caused by chronic ultraviolet B irradiationHo Song Cho
LG Household and Healthcare Research Park, Daejeon, Korea
Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed 23:155-62. 2007....
- Low intensity laser therapy is comparable to bromocriptine-evening primrose oil for the treatment of cyclical mastalgia in Egyptian femalesG M Saied
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Tanzan Health Res Bull 9:196-201. 2007..05). This difference was more for the drug treated group than for the laser treated group, but in the latter, it acted on a wider sector of patients. In conclusion, LILT is recommended as a new treatment modality for cyclical mastalgia...
- Treating hot flushes without hormone replacement therapyMachelle M Seibel
University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Worcester, USA
J Fam Pract 52:291-6. 2003
- Fatty acid composition of serum lipid classes in mice following allergic sensitisation with or without dietary docosahexaenoic acid-enriched fish oil substitutionRalph Ruhl
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical and Health Science Centre, University of Debrecen, Nagyerdei krt 98, H 4012 Debrecen, Hungary
Br J Nutr 99:1239-46. 2008....
- A direct method for regiospecific analysis of TAG using alpha-MAGF Turon
SEA OIL, Beaumont Hague, France
Lipids 37:817-21. 2002..The present procedure, first demonstrated on a synthetic TAG, was then successfully applied to the analysis of borage oil, milkfat, and tuna oil...
- Structured lipids via lipase-catalyzed incorporation of eicosapentaenoic acid into borage (Borago officinalis L.) and evening primrose (Oenothera biennis L.) oilsS P J Namal Senanayake
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Newfoundland, A1B 3X9 Canada
J Agric Food Chem 50:477-83. 2002..2-26.8 to 37.4-39.9% (after 24 h). The highest EPA incorporations of 39.9 and 37.4% in BO and EPO, respectively, occurred at the stoichiometric mole ratio of 1:3 for oil to EPA...
- The effect of gamma-linolenic acid on plasma and membrane lipids and renal prostaglandin synthesis in older subjectsA Hornych
Broussais Hospital, Paris, France
Bratisl Lek Listy 103:101-7. 2002..Epogam treatment also increased the biosynthesis of renal prostaglandins, especially that of prostaglandin E2, which has a vasodilatory effect on vessel walls and reduces the elevated blood pressure...
- Constituents in evening primrose oil with radical scavenging, cyclooxygenase, and neutrophil elastase inhibitory activitiesMatthias Hamburger
Institute of Pharmacy, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Semmelweisstrasse 10, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 50:5533-8. 2002..Commercial samples of evening primrose oils contained only traces of these lipophilic antioxidants...
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids modulate interleukin-1beta-induced changes in behavior, monoaminergic neurotransmitters, and brain inflammation in ratsCai Song
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada C1A 4P3
J Nutr 138:954-63. 2008..01). AA did not counteract any of the changes induced by IL-1. These results suggest that EPA, GLA, and AA play different roles in the neuroendocrine-immune network...
- Doctor accused of giving false information to drug trialOwen Dyer
BMJ 325:618. 2002
- Pilot study of dietary fatty acid supplementation in the treatment of adult periodontitisElliot D Rosenstein
Arthritis and Rheumatic Disease Center, St Barnabas Medical Center, 200 South Orange Avenue, Livingston, NJ 07039, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:213-8. 2003..Additional studies will be necessary to more fully assess the potential of these agents to favorably affect periodontal inflammation...
- Gamma-linolenic acid in borage oil reverses epidermal hyperproliferation in guinea pigsS Chung
Department of Medical Nutrition, Graduate School of East West Medical Science, Kyung Hee University, Seoul, Korea
J Nutr 132:3090-7. 2002..With primary dependence on absolute levels, our data demonstrate that the antiproliferative efficacy of GLA in the epidermis is preferably exerted from sn-2 stereospecificity of GLA in BO...
- Golden nail pigmentationGirish K Patel
J Dermatolog Treat 13:41-2. 2002
- Botanicals and dietary supplements in diabetic peripheral neuropathyKathleen M Halat
California College of Podiatric Medicine, San Francisco, Calif, USA
J Am Board Fam Pract 16:47-57. 2003..As such, patients might turn to botanicals and dietary supplements, not realizing that these products are not well regulated...
- Effects of dietary linseed, evening primrose or fish oils on fatty acid and prostaglandin E2 contents in the rat livers and 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced tumoursMałgorzata Jelińska
Department of Bromatology, Faculty of Pharmacy, The Medical University of Warsaw, Banacha 1, 02 097, Warsaw, Poland
Biochim Biophys Acta 1637:193-9. 2003..Both liver and tumour PGE2 contents were clearly correlated to the diet. The PGE2 concentrations were decreased in livers and tumours of rats fed fish (FO) and linseed oils (LO)...
- Inhibition of leukotriene synthesis, pharmacokinetics, and tolerability of a novel dietary fatty acid formulation in healthy adult subjectsMarc E Surette
Department of Research and Development, Pilot Therapeutics Inc, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Clin Ther 25:948-71. 2003....
- Influence of formulas with borage oil or borage oil plus fish oil on the arachidonic acid status in premature infantsH Demmelmair
Kinderklinik and Kinderpoliklinik, Dr. von Haunersches Kinderspital, Ludwig-Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Lipids 36:555-66. 2001..The effect of GLA on AA is independent of the EPA and DHA content in the diet within the dose ranges studied...
- Is there clinical evidence supporting the use of botanical dietary supplements in children?Andrea Hrastinger
Institut fuer Pharmakognosie, Karl Franzens Universitaet Graz, Austria
J Pediatr 146:311-7. 2005
- Positional distribution of FA in TAG of enzymatically modified borage and evening primrose oilsS P J Namal Senanayake
Department of Biochemistry, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
Lipids 37:803-10. 2002..In (EPA + DHA)-enriched EPO, GLA was mainly located at the sn-2 and -3 positions; EPA was preferentially esterified at the sn-1 and -3 positions, and DHA was found mainly at the sn-3 position...
- Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs versus oil of evening primrose in the treatment of mastalgiaS Qureshi
Department of Surgery Surgical Unit 11, Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Surgeon 3:7-10. 2005..To compare oil of evening primrose (OEP) and topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) with respect to safety, effectiveness, rapidity of response, cost effectiveness and acceptability in the treatment of breast pain...
- [Study on the encapsulation technique of high purity gamma-linolenic acid, part 1--saponification reaction and saponification value]Feng xia Liu
Central China University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:343-6. 2005....
- [Study on the encapsulation technique of high purity gamma-linolenic acid, part 1--Single factor, and two-factor tests for encapsulation process]Feng xia Liu
Central China University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:433-5. 2005..To study the effects of all factors during the process of urea encapsulation of gamma-linolenic acid on the purity and yield...
- Black currant seed oil and fish oil supplements differ in their effects on fatty acid profiles of plasma lipids, and concentrations of serum total and lipoprotein lipids, plasma glucose and insulinRaija L Tahvonen
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
J Nutr Biochem 16:353-9. 2005..Serum levels of LDL cholesterol were lower (P<.05) after black currant seed oil compared to fish oil. Plasma glucose concentration decreased during the fish oil supplementation (P<.05)...
- The effects of evening primrose oil on nerve function and capillarization in streptozotocin-diabetic rats: modulation by the cyclo-oxygenase inhibitor flurbiprofenN E Cameron
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Marischal College
Br J Pharmacol 109:972-9. 1993..Sixth, evening primrose oil probably acts by providing substrate for vasodilator prostanoid synthesis by vasa nervorum...
- Dietary fish and evening primrose oil with vitamin E effects on semen variables in cockerelsS Cerolini
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Veterinarie per la Sicurezza Alimentare, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Br Poult Sci 46:214-22. 2005..The proportion of motile spermatozoa was improved by the increased supplementation of vitamin E in all oil treatments...
- Effect of a combination of isoflavones and Actaea racemosa Linnaeus on climacteric symptoms in healthy symptomatic perimenopausal women: a 12-week randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind studyMarieke O Verhoeven
Project Ageing Women, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Menopause 12:412-20. 2005..To investigate the effects of a novel dietary supplement containing soy isoflavones and Actaea racemosa Linnaeus (formerly called Cimicifuga racemosa L.) on climacteric symptoms in healthy perimenopausal women...
- Advances in nondietary management of children with atopic dermatitisJ E Rasmussen
Department of Dermatology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor 48109-0314
Pediatr Dermatol 6:210-5. 1989..This is important because AD does not last forever, and in many patients, mild disease heals spontaneously...
- A randomized multicenter study of gamolenic acid (Efamast) with and without antioxidant vitamins and minerals in the management of mastalgiaAmit Goyal
Department of Surgery, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Breast J 11:41-7. 2005..This study showed that GLA (Efamast) efficacy did not differ from that of placebo fatty acids, regardless of whether or not antioxidant vitamins were present...
- Who and how many people are taking herbal supplements? A survey of 21,923 adultsRoger A Harrison
Bolton Primary Care Trust, St Peter s House, Silverwell Street, Bolton BL1 1PP, England
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 74:183-6. 2004..There is little information on the number and characteristics of adults taking herbal supplements and the relationship of this with other health and lifestyle factors. These were examined in the current study...
- The safety of evening primrose oil in epilepsyB K Puri
Imaging Sciences Department, MRC Clinical Sciences Centre, Faculty of Medicine, Hammersmith Campus, Imperial College London, London, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 77:101-3. 2007....
- Fat facts and fallaciesJody L Vogelzang
JLV and Associates, Southlake, TX 76092, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 21:725-7. 2003
- Effects of different dietary oils on inflammatory mediator generation and fatty acid composition in rat neutrophilsR De la Puerta Vazquez
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad de Sevilla, Seville, Spain
Metabolism 53:59-65. 2004..67 ng/mL compared with 26.69 ng/mL from BD). These experimental data suggest that FO and PO, as well as VOO, could be considered a valuable strategy in preventing the generation of some inflammatory mediators...
- Dietary gamma-linolenic acid suppresses aortic smooth muscle cell proliferation and modifies atherosclerotic lesions in apolipoprotein E knockout miceY Y Fan
Molecular and Cell Biology Section, Faculty of Nutrition, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77840, USA
J Nutr 131:1675-81. 2001..05) atherosclerotic lesion size in 30-wk-old mice. These results indicate that dietary GLA can suppress smooth muscle cell proliferation in vivo and retard the development of diet-induced atherosclerosis in apoE knockout mice...
- Suppression of leukotriene B4 generation by ex-vivo neutrophils isolated from asthma patients on dietary supplementation with gammalinolenic acid-containing borage oil: possible implication in asthmaVincent A Ziboh
Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Clinical Immunology, Department of Dermatology, University of California at Davis School of Medicine, TB 192, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Clin Dev Immunol 11:13-21. 2004..Nonetheless, the study demonstrated dietary fatty acid modulation of endogenous inflammatory mediators without side effects and thus warrant further explorations into the roles of GLA at higher doses, leukotrienes and asthma...
- A randomised cross-over trial in healthy adults indicating improved absorption of omega-3 fatty acids by pre-emulsificationIveta Garaiova
Obsidian Research Ltd, Baglan, Port Talbot, UK
Nutr J 6:4. 2007..In this study the levels of plasma fatty acid and triacylglycerol (TAG) following the ingestion of either an oil mixture or an emulsified oil mixture have been compared...
- Prevention and partial reversal of diabetes-induced changes in enteric nerves of the rat ileum by combined treatment with alpha-lipoic acid and evening primrose oilHannah R Shotton
Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology, Autonomic Neuroscience Institute, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
Auton Neurosci 111:57-65. 2004..Therefore, LA and EPO are only effective at treating diabetes-induced changes in some enteric nerves when administered in combination. However, diabetes-induced changes in NA-containing nerves are resistant to treatment...
- Dietary supplementation with eicosapentaenoic acid, but not with other long-chain n-3 or n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids, decreases natural killer cell activity in healthy subjects aged >55 yF Thies
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 73:539-48. 2001..CONCLUSION: A moderate amount of EPA but not of other n-6 or n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids can decrease NK cell activity in healthy subjects...
- Quantitative analysis of anti-inflammatory and radical scavenging triterpenoid esters in evening primrose oilRoland Knorr
Institute of Pharmacy, Friedrich Schiller University Jena, Semmelweisstrasse 10, D 07743 Jena, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 52:3319-24. 2004..There was a difference between O. biennis and O. lamarckiana oils with respect to the relative amounts of the three esters. The temperature of the extraction process had no effect on the ratio of the compounds...
- Properties of cholesterol-reduced butter made with beta-cyclodextrin and added evening primrose oil and phytosterolsJ J Kim
Department of Food Science and Technology, Sejong University, Seoul 143 747, Korea
J Dairy Sci 89:4503-10. 2006..However, the addition of EPO and phytosterols to the butter appeared to impair its sensory properties, especially in terms of rancidity and overall acceptability...
- Hot topic: Enhancing omega-3 fatty acids in milk fat of dairy cows by using stearidonic acid-enriched soybean oil from genetically modified soybeansG Bernal-Santos
Department of Animal Science, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:32-7. 2010....
- Investigation of gene expressions related to cholesterol metabolism in rats fed diets enriched in n-6 or n-3 fatty acid with a cholesterol after long-term feeding using quantitative-competitive RT-PCR analysisM Fukushima
Department of Bioresource Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Hokkaido, Japan
J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo) 47:228-35. 2001....
- Selective modulation of the human platelet thromboxane A2/prostaglandin H2 receptor by eicosapentaenoic and docosahexaenoic acids in intact platelets and solubilized platelet membranesC A Parent
Department of Pharmacology, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612
J Biol Chem 267:6541-7. 1992....
- The extract of Thujae occidentalis semen inhibited 5alpha-reductase and androchronogenetic alopecia of B6CBAF1/j hybrid mouseWon Seok Park
Skin Research Team, Skin Research Institute, Amore Pacific Corporation R and D Center 314 1 Bora ri, Kiheung eup, Yongin si, Kyounggi Do, South Korea
J Dermatol Sci 31:91-8. 2003..Recent approach showed specific inhibitors for 5alpha-reductase type 2 such as finasteride promoted hair growth in male pattern alopecia...
- Dietary n-6 and n-3 fatty acids in immunity and autoimmune diseaseL S Harbige
School of Chemical and Life Sciences, University of Greenwich, London, UK
Proc Nutr Soc 57:555-62. 1998....
- Polyunsaturated fatty acids induce tight junctions to form in brain capillary endothelial cellsK Yamagata
Division of Life Science, Graduate School of Integrated Science and Art, University of East Asia, Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi, Japan
Neuroscience 116:649-56. 2003..endothelial cells were grown to confluence on filters and exposed to eicosapentaenoic acids, gamma linolenic acid and linoleic acid. Transepithelial electrical resistance was determined with voltage-measuring electrodes...
- Influence of low-dose polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation on the inflammatory response of healthy adultsRalf Schubert
Department of Pediatrics, J W Goethe University, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Nutrition 23:724-30. 2007....
- Production of arachidonic acid and dihomo-gamma-linolenic acid from glycerol by oil-producing filamentous fungi, Mortierella in the ARS culture collectionChing T Hou
Microbial Genomics and Bioprocessing Research Unit, National Center for Agricultural, Utilization Research, Agricultural Research Service, United States Department of Agriculture, 1815 North University Street, Peoria, IL 61604, USA
J Ind Microbiol Biotechnol 35:501-6. 2008..Time course studies showed that the maximum cell growth and AA production for both species were at 6 days of incubation. Therefore, glycerol can be considered for industrial use in the production of AA and DGLA...
- An anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutritional supplement for hypoalbuminemic hemodialysis patients: a pilot/feasibility studyKamyar Kalantar-Zadeh
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Los Angeles Biomedical Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA 90509 2910, USA
J Ren Nutr 15:318-31. 2005..8 g/dL, a marker of malnutrition-inflammation complex syndrome, is observed in approximately half of all maintenance hemodialysis (MHD) patients in the United States and is strongly associated with increased mortality...
- Polyunsaturated but not conjugated linoleic acid supplementation of leukemic U937 cells can act as an amplification factor for photofrin-mediated photodynamic therapyAstrid Voigt
Department of Pediatrics, Children s Hospital, Friedrich Schiller University of Jena, Germany
Photochem Photobiol 82:763-9. 2006..The results showed that PUFA, but not conjugated FA supplementation of U937 cells, can act as a PDT amplification factor...
- Metabolic diversity in biohydrogenation of polyunsaturated fatty acids by lactic acid bacteria involving conjugated fatty acid productionShigenobu Kishino
Division of Applied Life Sciences, Laboratory of Fermentation Physiology and Applied Microbiology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 84:87-97. 2009....
- Essential fatty acids and their metabolites could function as endogenous HMG-CoA reductase and ACE enzyme inhibitors, anti-arrhythmic, anti-hypertensive, anti-atherosclerotic, anti-inflammatory, cytoprotective, and cardioprotective moleculesUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 13800 Fairhill Road, 321, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Lipids Health Dis 7:37. 2008....
- Borage oil in the treatment of atopic dermatitisRachel H Foster
School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Nutrition 26:708-18. 2010..Which patients are likely to respond cannot yet be identified. Borage oil is well tolerated in the short term but no long-term tolerability data are available...
- Identification and functional analysis of the genes encoding Delta6-desaturase from Ribes nigrumLi Ying Song
Institute of Genetics and Developmental Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100101, China
J Exp Bot 61:1827-38. 2010....
- [Polyunsaturated fatty acid biogenesis is impaired in spontaneously hypertensive rat in relation to the pathogenesis of hypertension]M Narce
, EA DGRT 1867, , Dijon
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 89:1025-8. 1996..Such results explain partly the effects of PUFA rich diets administered to hypertensive rats, and clarify the interpretation of such effects...
- Associations between term birth dimensions and prenatal exposure to essential and trans fatty acidsChantal E H Dirix
Department of Human Biology, Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Early Hum Dev 85:525-30. 2009..The aim of this study was to investigate associations between term birth dimensions and prenatal exposure to some of these fatty acids, reflected by neonatal fatty acid concentrations at birth...
- Essential fatty acids: biochemistry, physiology and pathologyUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Biotechnol J 1:420-39. 2006..Thus, EFAs and their derivatives have varied biological actions and seem to be involved in several physiological and pathological processes...
- Age-related changes in delta 6 and delta 5 desaturase activities in rat liver microsomesC Maniongui
Unité de Recherche de Nutrition Cellulaire et Métabolique, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Lipids 28:291-7. 1993..In particular, arachidonic acid content in old rats was slightly higher than in young rats whereas contents in linoleic and docosahexaenoic acids varied little throughout the life span.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Fatty acids, the immune response, and autoimmunity: a question of n-6 essentiality and the balance between n-6 and n-3Laurence S Harbige
School of Chemical and Life Sciences, University of Greenwich at Medway, Chatham Maritime, Kent ME4 4TB, United Kingdom
Lipids 38:323-41. 2003..Finally, the view that all n-6 PUFA are proinflammatory requires revision, in part, and their essential regulatory and developmental role in the immune system warrants appreciation...
- Healing fats of the skin: the structural and immunologic roles of the omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acidsMeagen M McCusker
Department of Dermatology University of Connecticut Health Center, 263 Farmington Avenue, MC 6230, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Clin Dermatol 28:440-51. 2010..They fulfill these functions independently and through the modulation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors and Toll-like receptors...
- Serum phospholipid and cholesteryl ester fatty acids and estimated desaturase activities are related to overweight and cardiovascular risk factors in adolescentsL M Steffen
Division of Epidemiology and Community Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, Minneapolis, MN 55454, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 32:1297-304. 2008..The objective of this study was to describe the relation of serum fatty acids and desaturase activity (DA) to overweight, insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular disease (CVD) risk factors in adolescents...
- Inhibitory effects of saturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids on the cytochrome P450 3A activity in rat liver microsomesVilasinee Hirunpanich
Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahasarakham University, Kantharavichai, Mahasarakham 44150, Thailand
Biol Pharm Bull 30:1586-8. 2007....
- Usage patterns, health, and nutritional status of long-term multiple dietary supplement users: a cross-sectional studyGladys Block
School of Public Health, 50 University Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA, 94720, USA
Nutr J 6:30. 2007..This study describes the dietary supplement usage patterns, health, and nutritional status of long-term multiple dietary supplement users, and where possible makes comparisons to non-users and multivitamin/mineral supplement users...
- Effect of glutamate on arachidonic acid production from Mortierella alpinaW Z Lan
School of Life Science and Technology, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, Hubei, China
Lett Appl Microbiol 35:357-60. 2002..To evaluate the effect of glutamate on arachidonic acid production from Mortierella alpina...
- Effects of diet and simvastatin on fatty acid composition in hypercholesterolemic men: a randomized controlled trialAntti Jula
Department of Health and Functional Capacity, National Public Health Institute of Finland, Turku, Finland
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25:1952-9. 2005..To explore the separate and combined effects of simvastatin and a low-saturated diet rich in alpha-linolenic acid on serum fatty acids...
- Protective role of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity in the metabolic response of C6 rat glioma cells to polyunsaturated fatty acid exposureKarina Lawrence Ramos
Departamento de Histologia e Embriologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Glia 43:149-66. 2003....
- Engineering of a novel hybrid enzyme: an anti-inflammatory drug target with triple catalytic activities directly converting arachidonic acid into the inflammatory prostaglandin E2Ke He Ruan
Department of Pharmacological and Pharmaceutical Sciences, The Center for Experimental Therapeutics and PharmacoInformatics, University of Houston, College of Pharmacy, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Protein Eng Des Sel 22:733-40. 2009..The COX-2-10aa-mPGES-1 hybrid enzyme engineering may be a novel approach in creating inflammation cell and animal models, which are particularly valuable targets for the next generation of NSAID screening...
- Substrate specificity of acyl-Delta(6)-desaturases from Continental versus Macaronesian Echium speciesFederico García-Maroto
Area de Bioquímica, Facultad de Ciencias Experimentales, Universidad de Almeria, 04120 Almeria, Spain
Phytochemistry 67:540-4. 2006..Comparison among the amino acid sequences of these desaturases and other related enzymes, allowed us the discussion about the possible involvement of some specific positions in the determination of substrate specificity...
- Specific protein regions influence substrate specificity and product length in polyunsaturated fatty acid condensing enzymesPatricia L Vrinten
Bioriginal Food and Science Corporation, 110 Gymnasium Place, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada S7N0W9
Biochemistry 49:3879-86. 2010..Thus, protein characteristics determined by specific luminal-proximal regions of fatty acid condensing enzymes have a major influence on substrate specificity and final product length...
- Effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on diphenyl hydantoin-induced genetic damage in vitro and in vivoShivani Ponnala
Department of Genetics, Osmania University, Hyderabad 500 007, India
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 80:43-50. 2009..Based on these results we suggest that GLA functions as a unique endogenous molecule that protects cells from accumulating genetic damage...
- Lipids in the nutritional support of the critically ill patientsMichel Hasselmann
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Hopital Civil, Strasbourg Cedex, France
Curr Opin Crit Care 10:449-55. 2004..It examines current knowledge of fatty acid safety, biologic effects, and the impact on patients' morbidity and mortality. The newly emerging area of genotypic influence and timing of immunonutrition is also discussed...
- Modifiable Risk Factors for CME in Retinitis PigmentosaMichael A Sandberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Since gamma linolenic acid (GLA) has also been suggested as a way to reduce edema, we will determine whether the risk of CME is ..
- ARDS - EDEN OMEGA ProtocolTERRI HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- REGULATION AND FUNCTION OF CPLA2 IN UV INJURYAlice Pentland; Fiscal Year: 2000..Knowledge of the role of cPLA2 in UV injury will greatly increase our understanding of the biology of cPLA2 as well as the mechanisms protecting the epidermis from environmental UV and other oxidative injuries. ..
- VASCULAR DISEASE IN DIABETIC NEUROPATHYMark Yorek; Fiscal Year: 2003..In summary, these studies will provide us with a better understanding of the etiology of DN and improved treatments for preventing the diabetes-induced changes in vascular and neural function. ..
- LINOLEIC ACID METABOLISM AND COLON CARCINOGENESISImad Shureiqi; Fiscal Year: 2005..This work will set the stage for future animals and clinical studies of LA alternative pathway modulation as means of colon cancer chemoprevention. ..
- THE PATHOGENESIS OF AUTOIMMUNITY IN A MURINE MODEL OF PRIMARY BILIARY CIRRHOSISMERRILL E GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Interaction of Nutrient & Organochlorine AbsorptionPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed research is important because of the biological and clinical importance of OCs in health and disease and they provide considerable new insights into how OCs are carried and delivered to the various organs in the body. ..
- Integration of Stress and Reproductive Axes by DopamineSimon Evans; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- BORAGE OIL AND GINKGO BILOBA (EGb 761) IN ASTHMAMERRILL GERSHWIN; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is hoped that findings from these studies will evolve relatively non-toxic therapeutic alternatives for attenuating bronchial hyperresponsiveness and inflammation in patients with asthma. ..
- Eighth Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of ADHDL Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2003..We hypothesize that CMA stimulation will show a larger effect than simple rotary stimulation, significant compared to sham control. Sufficient sample size is assured by the Ohio State University's recruitment record. ..
- Prostaglandin I synthase, Thromboxane A synthase & Prostaglandin E synthaseKe He Ruan; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Anti-Inflammatory and Anti-Oxidative Nutrition in Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Genetic modification of PUFA biosynthesis and CHDAna Baylin; Fiscal Year: 2008..This strengthens evaluation of risk, and application to current dietary goals. The large number of SNPs proposed for final analysis will add to the resolution and power to identify the genes that underlie CHD. ..
- STRUCTURE & FUNCTION RELATIONSHIP: PROSTANOID RECEPTORSKe He Ruan; Fiscal Year: 2008..Determine the solution conformation of segments comprising the intracellular domains. ..
- Oxidative Damage in Smokers and Passive SmokersGladys Block; Fiscal Year: 2003..smokers 6) To determine the level of vitamin C required by smokers to attain the plasma vitamin C levels of non-smokers 7) To study the effect of supplemental vitamin C or antioxidant cocktail on other plasma antioxidants ..
- Vitamins, Breast Milk HIV Shedding and Child HealthEduardo Villamor; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nutritional/Inflammatory Evaluation of Dialysis PatientsKamyar Kalantar Zadeh; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PILOT EXPLORATIONS OF ZINC EFFECTS IN ADHDL Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2007..Outcome measures include parent/teacher-rated ADHD symptoms for phases 1&2, and amphetamine optimal dose for phase 3. Tissue zinc will be determined by 3 state-of-the-art assays. ..
- MODULATION OF INTESTINAL OBESITY SIGNALSPatrick Tso; Fiscal Year: 2004..In addition, the apo A-IV knockout and transgenic animals will be used to determine if there is interaction between the lymph glucose and lymph apo A-IV signals. ..