Genomes and Genes
essential fatty acids
Summary: Long chain organic acid molecules that must be obtained from the diet. Examples are LINOLEIC ACIDS and LINOLENIC ACIDS.
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Metabolic effects of intravenous LCT or MCT/LCT lipid emulsions in preterm infantsFrauke Lehner
Dr von Hauner Children s Hospital, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
J Lipid Res 47:404-11. 2006..Both lipid emulsions achieve similar plasma essential fatty acid (EFA) contents and similar proportional conversion of EFAs to LC-PUFAs. The MCT/LCT emulsion seems to protect EFAs and LC-PUFAs from beta-oxidation...
- Nutritionally essential fatty acids and biologically indispensable cyclooxygenasesWilliam L Smith
Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Trends Biochem Sci 33:27-37. 2008The study of cyclooxygenases (COXs), targets of aspirin and related drugs, is rooted in the discovery of essential fatty acids (EFAs). There are two COXs that convert EFAs, primarily arachidonic acid, to prostaglandins...
- Essential fatty acids and the brain: possible health implicationsK A Youdim
Laboratory of Neuroscience, United States Department of Agriculture, Jean Mayer Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Dev Neurosci 18:383-99. 2000..Thus it may be that an optimal diet with a balance of n-6 and n-3 fatty acids may help to delay their onset or reduce the insult to brain functions which these diseases elicit...
- Essential fatty acids for dry eye: A reviewMarco Roncone
Aston University, Birmingham, UK
Cont Lens Anterior Eye 33:49-54; quiz 100. 2010..However, it is a difficult condition to treat as clinical signs do not always correlate with patient symptoms. Essential fatty acids (EFA), particularly omega-3 EFA, may be effective in dealing with the underlying causes.
- Nutrition in brain development and aging: role of essential fatty acidsRicardo Uauy
Nutrition and Public Health Intervention Research Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom
Nutr Rev 64:S24-33; discussion S72-91. 2006The essential fatty acids (EFAs), particularly the n-3 long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPs), are important for brain development during both the fetal and postnatal period...
- Dietary essential fatty acids and brain function: a developmental perspective on mechanismsPatricia E Wainwright
Department of Health Studies and Gerontology, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Proc Nutr Soc 61:61-9. 2002..Some, but not all, studies of human infants suggest that dietary DHA may play a role in cognitive development as well as in some neurodevelopmental disorders; this possibility has important implications for population health...
- Protective effects of omega-3 essential fatty acids against formaldehyde-induced neuronal damage in prefrontal cortex of ratsIsmail Zararsiz
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Elazig, Turkey
Cell Biochem Funct 24:237-44. 2006..to examine the neurotoxicity of formaldehyde on prefrontal cortex and the protective effects of omega-3 essential fatty acids against these toxic effects. For this purpose, 21 male Wistar rats were divided into three groups...
- Essential fatty acids in health and chronic diseasesA P Simopoulos
The Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health, Washington, DC, USA
Forum Nutr 56:67-70. 2003
- A synopsis of the process of lipid peroxidation since the discovery of the essential fatty acidsAngel Catala
Instituto de Investigaciones Fisicoquimicas Teoricas y Aplicadas, INIFTA CCT La Plata CONICET, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Argentina
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 399:318-23. 2010Eighty years ago, Burr and Burr, introduced for the first time the concept of essential fatty acids. Now is very well known that requirements for polyunsaturated fatty acids PUFAs can not be met by de novo metabolic processes within ..
- Essential fatty acids and human brainChia Yu Chang
Department of Neurology, Chi Mei Medical Center, Tainan Taiwan
Acta Neurol Taiwan 18:231-41. 2009..b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are required for maintenance of optimal health but they can not synthesized by the body and must be ..
- Essential fatty acids and the brain: from infancy to agingS Yehuda
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology and Brain Research, Institute, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Neurobiol Aging 26:98-102. 2005The major effects of essential fatty acids (EFA) on brain structure and functions are reviewed. EFA determine the fluidity of neuronal membrane and control the physiological functions of the brain...
- Reduced erythrocyte membrane essential fatty acids and increased lipid peroxides in schizophrenia at the never-medicated first-episode of psychosis and after years of treatment with antipsychoticsMohammad M Khan
Department of Psychiatry and Health Behavior, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
Schizophr Res 58:1-10. 2002..These findings may have a significant impact on improving strategies for supplementation of EPUFAs and antioxidants to improve the outcome of schizophrenia...
- Compartmental analyses of plasma n-3 essential fatty acids among male and female smokers and nonsmokersRobert J Pawlosky
Laboratory of Metabolic Control, National Institutes on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Lipid Res 48:935-43. 2007..03) that was greater compared with nonsmokers. Smoking increased the bioavailability of n-3 FAs from plasma, accelerated the fractional synthetic rates, and heightened the percent formation of some long-chain n-3 PUFAs in men and women...
- Hypoxia/reoxygenation alters essential fatty acids metabolism in cultured rat cardiomyocytes: protection by antioxidantsAlessandra Bordoni
Centro Ricerche sulla Nutrizione, Dipartimento di Biochimica, G Moruzzi, Alma Mater Studiorum, Via Irnerio, 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 15:166-73. 2005..The microsomal enzymatic system converting essential fatty acids to highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFAs) contributes to this repairing mechanism...
- Long-lasting cognitive, physiological and hematological effects in rehabilitated, early dietary iron-deficiency adult rats, and improvement by treatment with a mixture of essential fatty acidsShlomo Yehuda
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Nutr Neurosci 11:167-71. 2008..Treatment with a mixture of essential fatty acids improved their learning capacity.
- Evidence that liver microsomes of human neonates desaturate essential fatty acidsJ P Poisson
Unité de Recherche de Nutrition Cellulaire et Métabolique, Universite de Bourgogne, Faculte des Sciences Mirande, Dijon, France
Biochim Biophys Acta 1167:109-13. 1993delta 6- and delta 5-Desaturation of essential fatty acids of n-6 and n-3 series are required for the biosynthesis of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which are precursors of eicosanoids and constituents of membrane phospholipids...
- Oxidant stress, anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids in South Indian vegetarians and non-vegetariansV Manjari
EFA Sciences LLC, 1420 Providence Highway, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 64:53-9. 2001..It remains to be seen whether this alterations in the oxidant and anti-oxidant status and n-3 concentrations explains the lower incidence of cardiovascular diseases and lower blood pressure in vegetarians...
- Dietary essential fatty acids, long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids, and visual resolution acuity in healthy fullterm infants: a systematic reviewJ P SanGiovanni
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02114 0500, USA
Early Hum Dev 57:165-88. 2000..We also conducted a meta-analysis to derive combined estimates of behavioral- and electrophysiologic-based visual resolution acuity differences and sample sizes that would be useful in planning future research...
- Tardive dyskinesia and essential fatty acidsKrishna Vaddadi
Department of Psychological Medicine, Monash Medical Centre, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
Int Rev Psychiatry 18:133-43. 2006..b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are important components of neuronal membrane and the EFA content of these membranes can ..
- Lipids and essential fatty acids in patients presenting with self-harmMalcolm R Garland
Department of Adult Psychiatry, Galway University Hospital and the Clinical Sciences Institute, National University of Ireland, Ireland
Br J Psychiatry 190:112-7. 2007..Low cholesterol has been reliably demonstrated in people who self-harm...
- Essential fatty acids, DHA and human brainMeharban Singh
Child Care and Dental Health Center, Arun Vihar, Noida, UP, India
Indian J Pediatr 72:239-42. 2005b>Essential fatty acids cannot be synthesized in the body but they are required for maintenance of optimal health. There are two classes of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs)--omega-6 and omega-3...
- [Role of essential fatty acids in trophometabolic interactions in the freshwater ecosystems (a review)]N N Sushchik
Zh Obshch Biol 69:299-316. 2008..Despite the great practical importance, the studies focused on production and whole pools of omega3 PUFA in different freshwater ecosystems are still scarce and need to be continued...
- The control of blepharospasm by essential fatty acidsD I Mostofsky
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Neuropsychobiology 41:154-7. 2000..These results suggest a favorable prospect for essential fatty acids in general, and SR-3 in particular, to provide an improved therapeutic option for the clinical management ..
- Pretreatment with a mixture of essential fatty acids protects rats from anxiogenic effects of REM deprivationShlomo Yehuda
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan 52900, Israel
Nutr Neurosci 10:269-71. 2007..The aim of this study was to examine the effects ofpretreatment with a specific mixture of essential fatty acids on the increased level of anxiety on the behavioral level (elevated plus maze), on the hormonal level (..
- Essential Fatty AcidsUndurti N Das
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 7:455. 2006
- Bioaccumulation patterns of methyl mercury and essential fatty acids in lacustrine planktonic food webs and fishMartin Kainz
Water and Watershed Research Program, Department of Biology, University of Victoria, P O Box 3020, STN CSC, Victoria BC V8W 3N5 Canada
Sci Total Environ 368:271-82. 2006..We measured concentrations of methyl mercury (MeHg) and essential fatty acids (EFAs, key nutrients for aquatic food webs) in four size categories of planktonic organisms - seston (10-..
- Essential fatty acids and phospholipase A2 in autistic spectrum disordersJ G Bell
Lipid Nutrition Group, Institute of Aquaculture, University of Stirling, Stirling, Scotland, FK9 4LA, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:201-4. 2004..However, patients with autism/ASP, who had taken EPA supplements, had significantly reduced PLA2 concentrations compared to unsupplemented patients with classical autism or ASP...
- The ACVD task force on canine atopic dermatitis (XXIII): are essential fatty acids effective?T Olivry
Department of Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, North Carolina State University, 4700 Hillsborough Street, Raleigh, NC 27606, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 81:347-62. 2001b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) exhibit the potential to affect allergic inflammation through the modulation of prostaglandin and leukotriene production, the inhibition of cellular activation and cytokine secretion as well as the alteration ..
- Essential fatty acids in erythrocyte phospholipids during pregnancy and at delivery in mothers and their neonates: comparison with plasma phospholipidsH Vlaardingerbroek
Department of Human Biology, Maastricht University, PO Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:363-74. 2004..Therefore, the neonatal EFA and LCPUFA status might be predicted on the basis of EFA and LCPUFA concentrations of maternal erythrocyte phospholipids at early pregnancy...
- Essential fatty acids in infant nutrition: lessons and limitations from animal studies in relation to studies on infant fatty acid requirementsS M Innis
Department of Paediatrics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Am J Clin Nutr 71:238S-44S. 2000..Animal studies can provide important information on the mechanisms of both beneficial and adverse effects and the pathways of brain 22:6n-3 uptake...
- Essential fatty acids and mental healthBrian Hallahan
Br J Psychiatry 186:275-7. 2005
- Lipidomics analysis of essential fatty acids in macrophagesOswald Quehenberger
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0601, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 79:123-9. 2008..illustrate the advancement of a gas chromatography mass spectrometry (GC/MS) procedure for the analysis of essential fatty acids in RAW 264.7 cells...
- Essential fatty acids given from conception prevent topographies of motor deficit in a transgenic model of Huntington's diseaseJ J Clifford
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, St Stephen s Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
Neuroscience 109:81-8. 2002..As essential fatty acids are phospholipid components of cell membranes which may influence cell death and movement disorder ..
- Essential fatty acids and the brainMarianne Haag
Department of Physiology, University of Pretoria, PO Box 2034, Pretoria 0001, South Africa
Can J Psychiatry 48:195-203. 2003To review the role of essential fatty acids in brain membrane function and in the genesis of psychiatric disease.
- Essential fatty acids in the treatment of dry eyeElana S Rosenberg
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Ocul Surf 8:18-28. 2010b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) play many important roles in human biology, affecting organ systems and cellular and intracellular function...
- Biological significance of essential fatty acids/prostanoids/lipoxygenase-derived monohydroxy fatty acids in the skinVincent A Ziboh
Department of Dermatology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Arch Pharm Res 25:747-58. 2002....
- The role of essential fatty acids in developmentWilliam C Heird
Children s Nutrition Research Center, Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030 2600, USA
Annu Rev Nutr 25:549-71. 2005..However, evidence that preterm infants might benefit is somewhat more convincing than that for term infants. Despite the limited evidence for efficacy, formulas supplemented with DHA and ARA are now available and appear to be safe...
- Fatty acid facts, Part I. Essential fatty acids as treatment for depression, or food for mood?E K J Pawels
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Pisa Medical School, Pisa, Italy ernestpauwels gmail com
Drug News Perspect 21:446-51. 2008..Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids, and the members of the -3 and -6 series are crucial for human health...
- Do essential fatty acids have a role in the treatment of depression?Anna Leila Williams
Yale Prevention Research Center, 130 Division Street, Derby, CT 06418, USA
J Affect Disord 93:117-23. 2006..Preliminary evidence supports a hypothesis that low plasma concentration of essential fatty acids is associated with depression...
- Essential fatty acids and their metabolites could function as endogenous HMG-CoA reductase and ACE enzyme inhibitors, anti-arrhythmic, anti-hypertensive, anti-atherosclerotic, anti-inflammatory, cytoprotective, and cardioprotective moleculesUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 13800 Fairhill Road, 321, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Lipids Health Dis 7:37. 2008..b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) and their long-chain metabolites: gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), dihomo-GLA (DGLA), arachidonic acid, ..
- Influence of supplementary vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids on the antisocial behaviour of young adult prisoners. Randomised, placebo-controlled trialC Bernard Gesch
University Laboratory of Physiology, University of Oxford, UK
Br J Psychiatry 181:22-8. 2002..There is evidence that offenders consume diets lacking in essential nutrients and this could adversely affect their behaviour...
- Meta-analysis of dietary essential fatty acids and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids as they relate to visual resolution acuity in healthy preterm infantsJ P SanGiovanni
Department of Maternal and Child Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Pediatrics 105:1292-8. 2000..resolution acuity differences between healthy preterm infants consuming different compositions and ratios of essential fatty acids (EFAs) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), an omega-3 (n-3) long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (LCPUFA).
- Oxidative stress might reduce essential fatty acids in erythrocyte membranes of chronic fatigue syndrome patientsJo Nijs
Nutr Neurosci 7:251-3. 2004
- The influence of short-chain essential fatty acids on children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a double-blind placebo-controlled studyRaanan Raz
The Leslie and Susan Gonda Goldschmied Multidisciplinary Brain Research Center, Bar Ilan University, Weinberg Child Development Center, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 19:167-77. 2009b>Essential fatty acids (EFA) are needed for normal sensory, cognitive, and motor function. The EFA blood profile seems to be different in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as compared to matched controls...
- Cytoprotective effects of phenolic antioxidants and essential fatty acids in human blood monocyte and neuroblastoma cell lines: surrogates for neurological damage in vivoJulie Young
School of Pharmacy, The Robert Gordon University, Schoolhill, Aberdeen, UK
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 78:45-59. 2008..Robust in vitro systems are desirable, enabling a mechanistic investigation of the molecular mechanisms underpinning such effects and identification of further potentially efficacious nutraceuticals...
- Essential fatty acids and their role in the treatment of impulsivity disordersBrian Hallahan
The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:211-6. 2004b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) have been shown to benefit patients with depression, schizophrenia and dementia. More recently, their role in disorders characterised by impulsivity has attracted some attention...
- Potential role of dietary omega-3 essential fatty acids on some oxidant/antioxidant parameters in rats' corpus striatumMustafa Sarsilmaz
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, Dekanlik Binasi, Elazig, Turkey
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 69:253-9. 2003..Taken together, this preliminary animal study provides strong support for a therapeutic effect of omega-3 EFA supplemented to classical neuroleptic regimen in the treatment of schizophrenic symptoms and tardive dyskinesia...
- Is metabolic syndrome X a disorder of the brain with the initiation of low-grade systemic inflammatory events during the perinatal period?Undurti N Das
Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, CARE Hospital, The Institute of Medical Sciences, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad 500 034, India UND Life Sciences, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:701-13. 2007....
- Association of fatty acid desaturase gene polymorphisms with blood lipid essential fatty acids and perinatal depression among Canadian women: a pilot studyLin Xie
Department of Paediatrics, Child and Family Research Institute, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B C, Canada
J Nutrigenet Nutrigenomics 2:243-50. 2009..Single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) in FADS1/FADS2 contribute to variability in blood lipid fatty acids. Altered n-6 and n-3 fatty acids have been related to perinatal depression (PPD)...
- Can perinatal supplementation of long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids prevents schizophrenia in adult life?Undurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 1083 Main Street, Walpole, MA 02081, USA
Med Sci Monit 10:HY33-7. 2004..I suggest that maternal infection perse interferes with the metabolism of essential fatty acids (EFAs) resulting in deficiency of LCPUFAs that are known to have neuroprotective action...
- The possible role of essential fatty acids in the pathophysiology of malnutrition: a reviewElla N Smit
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, c o Prof Dr Frits A J Muskiet, CMC V, Y1 147, Groningen University Hospital, P O Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:241-50. 2004..Nutritional rehabilitation strategies in PEM may consider adequate intakes of EFA and micronutrients, e.g. by promoting breastfeeding. More research is required to gain detailed insight into the role of EFAD in PEM...
- Essential Fatty acids - a reviewUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 13800 Fairhill Road, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 7:467-82. 2006b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs): cis-linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) are essential for humans and their deficiency is rare in humans due to their easy availability in diet...
- In vivo conversion of 18- and 20-C essential fatty acids in rats using the multiple simultaneous stable isotope methodYu Hong Lin
Section of Nutritional Neuroscience, Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 9410, USA
J Lipid Res 46:1962-73. 2005An important question for mammalian nutrition is the relative efficiency of C18 versus C20 essential fatty acids (EFAs) for supporting the tissue composition of n-3 and n-6 pathway end products...
- Role of antioxidants, essential fatty acids, carnitine, vitamins, phytochemicals and trace elements in the treatment of diabetes mellitus and its chronic complicationsVincenzo Triggiani
D E T O Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 6:77-93. 2006..Furthermore, several herbal preparations and dietary supplements, such as antioxidants, essential fatty acids, lipid metabolism activators, vitamins and trace elements, are advertised and prescribed to patients as a ..
- Relationship between the niacin skin flush response and essential fatty acids in schizophreniaErik Messamore
Behavioral Health and Clinical Neurosciences Division and Research Service, Portland VA Medical Center, 3710 SW US Veterans Hospital Road, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 69:413-9. 2003..skin flush response is consistent with biochemical data suggesting relative depletion of AA, and other essential fatty acids (EFAs), in a substantial portion of people with SCZ...
- Problems with essential fatty acids: time for a new paradigm?Stephen C Cunnane
Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, 150 College Street, M5S 3E2, Toronto, Canada
Prog Lipid Res 42:544-68. 2003..The metabolism of essential and non-essential fatty acids is clearly much more interconnected than previously understood...
- COX-2 inhibitors and metabolism of essential fatty acidsUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106, USA
Med Sci Monit 11:RA233-7. 2005..EPA, DHA, and AA augment eNO formation that has anti-atherosclerotic action. Hence, combining EFAs with COX-2 inhibitors will prevent thrombotic cardiovascular events...
- Essential fatty acids and acquired immunodeficiency syndromeUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106, USA
Med Sci Monit 11:RA206-211. 2005..I propose that essential fatty acids (EFAs) and their metabolites could be useful in the prevention and management of AIDS...
- Effects of essential fatty acids on mediators of mast cells in cultureT Gueck
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Institute of Physiological Chemistry, University of Leipzig, An den Tierkliniken 1, D 04103, Leipzig, Germany
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 68:317-22. 2003..Thus 18:3n-3 has anti-inflammatory effects in cultured canine mastocytoma cells...
- Essential fatty acids, lipid peroxidation and apoptosisU N Das
EFA Sciences, Inc, Techlead, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 61:157-63. 1999b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) and their metabolites, especially gamma-linolenic acid, arachidonic acid, eicosapentaenoic acid and decosahexaenoic acid are known to induce apoptotic death of tumour cells...
- Cholesterol, essential fatty acids, and suicideJurgen Brunner
Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry, Kraepelinstrasse 10, 80804 Munich, Germany de
Pharmacopsychiatry 35:1-5. 2002..selective review is to critically discuss the current evidence for a potential link between cholesterol, essential fatty acids, depression, suicide, impulsivity, and aggression...
- Essential fatty acids: biochemistry, physiology and pathologyUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Biotechnol J 1:420-39. 2006b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs), linoleic acid (LA), and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) are essential for humans, and are freely available in the diet. Hence, EFA deficiency is extremely rare in humans...
- Cystic fibrosis and nutrition: linking phospholipids and essential fatty acids with thiol metabolismSheila M Innis
Nutrition Research Program, Child and Family Research Institute, and Cystic Fibrosis Clinic, Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada V5Z H4H
Annu Rev Nutr 28:55-72. 2008..However, further research is needed before such strategies can be included in clinical care of individuals with CF...
- Essential fatty acids in visual and brain developmentR Uauy
Institute of Nutrition and Food Technology INTA, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile
Lipids 36:885-95. 2001b>Essential fatty acids are structural components of all tissues and are indispensable for cell membrane synthesis; the brain, retina and other neural tissues are particularly rich in long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFA)...
- Essential fatty acids as possible mediators of the actions of statinsU N Das
EFA Sciences LLC, 1420 Providence Highway, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 65:37-40. 2001..In view of the similarity in their actions and as statins influence essential fatty acid metabolism, it is suggested that essential fatty acids and their metabolites may serve as second messengers of the actions of statins.
- Essential fatty acids in Huntington's diseaseUndurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, Walpole, Massachusetts 02081, USA
Nutrition 20:942-7. 2004..disease and show increased survival rates and decreased neurologic deficits when supplemented with essential fatty acids throughout life...
- Essential fatty acids are mediators of brain biochemistry and cognitive functionsS Yehuda
Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
J Neurosci Res 56:565-70. 1999Major advances have been made in understanding the biochemistry of essential fatty acids (FA) and their interactions with metabolic pathways leading to the production of longer and more complex fatty acids and lipids...
- Essential fatty acids as possible enhancers of the beneficial actions of probioticsU N Das
EFA Sciences LLC, Norwood, Massachusetts 02062, USA
Nutrition 18:786. 2002I investigated whether there is a common link between essential fatty acids and probiotics, which have similar actions and benefits in atopy...
- Can essential fatty acids reduce the burden of disease(s)?Undurti N Das
UND Life Sciences, 13800 Fairhill Road, 321, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
Lipids Health Dis 7:9. 2008..b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs) and their metabolites: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), gamma-linolenic ..
- Lack of effect of supplementation with essential fatty acids on bone mineral density in healthy pre- and postmenopausal women: two randomized controlled trials of Efacal v. calcium aloneE J Bassey
University of Nottingham Medical School, UK
Br J Nutr 83:629-35. 2000..Nail quality improved in both age groups and in both Efacal and control groups. Again, there was no significant difference between treatment groups. No evidence was found to support a beneficial effect of Efacal on BMD in these women...
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorderJ R Burgess
Department of Foods and Nutrition, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907 1264, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 71:327S-30S. 2000..We are currently testing this relation in a double-blind, placebo-controlled intervention in a population of children with clinically diagnosed ADHD who exhibit symptoms of EFA deficiency...
- Effect of corticosteroids and eicosapentaenoic acid/docosahexaenoic acid on pro-oxidant and anti-oxidant status and metabolism of essential fatty acids in patients with glomerular disordersU N Das
EFA Sciences LLC, Norwood, MA 02062, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 65:197-203. 2001It is known that the concentrations of essential fatty acids and their metabolites including eicosanoids, free radicals and anti-oxidants are altered in glomerular disorders...
- Effect of essential fatty acids and their metabolites on human lymphocytic leukemia and human colon adenocarcinoma lymph node cells in vitroU N Das
Nutrition 18:348-50. 2002
- Can manipulation of the ratios of essential fatty acids slow the rapid rate of postmenopausal bone loss?D B Kettler
Sky Park Wellness Center, Irvine, CA 92614, USA
Altern Med Rev 6:61-77. 2001..Evidence also points to the possible benefit of gamma-linolenic acid in preserving bone density...
- Essential fatty acidsRobert H Lerman
MetaProteomics, Inc, USA
Altern Ther Health Med 12:20-9; quiz 30-1. 2006
- Essential fatty acids and their derivativesKaren C McCowen
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Curr Opin Gastroenterol 21:207-15. 2005This review will address recent research in metabolism of essential fatty acids and their long chain derivatives...
- Can COX-2 inhibitor-induced increase in cardiovascular disease risk be modified by essential fatty acids?U N Das
UND Life Sciences, 205, 2477 Overlook Road, Cleveland Heights, OH 44106, USA
J Assoc Physicians India 53:623-7. 2005..This suggests that COX-2 inhibitors increase cardiovascular and stroke risk by interfering with the formation of eNO, PGI2, LXs, and resolvins and implies that combining EFAs with COX-2 inhibitors could prevent these complications...
- The modulation of radiation-induced damage to pig skin by essential fatty acidsJ W Hopewell
Research Institute University of Oxford, Churchill Hospital, UK
Br J Cancer 68:1-7. 1993The ability of essential fatty acids (EFAs) to modulate radiation-induced normal tissue injury was assessed in pig skin...
- Biological significance of essential fatty acidsU N Das
UND Life Sciences, Shaker Heights, OH 44120, USA
J Assoc Physicians India 54:309-19. 2006b>Essential fatty acids (EFAs)--linoleic acid (LA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) are critical for human survival. EFAs are readily available in the diet...
- The effects of combined conventional treatment, oral antioxidants and essential fatty acids on sperm biology in subfertile menF H Comhaire
Department of Internal Medicine, Section Endocrinology, University Hospital Ghent, De Pintelaan 185, B 9000 Ghent, Belgium
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 63:159-65. 2000..effects of combined conventional treatment, oral antioxidants (N-acetyl-cysteine or vitamins A plus E) and essential fatty acids (FA) on sperm biology in an open prospective study including 27 infertile men...
- Potential of essential fatty acids as natural therapeutic products for human tumorsAldo R Eynard
Nutrition 19:386-8. 2003
- Effect of high-dose growth hormone and glutamine on body composition, urine creatinine excretion, fatty acid absorption, and essential fatty acids status in short bowel patients: a randomized, double-blind, crossover, placebo-controlled studyP B Jeppesen
Dept of Medicine CA, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Scand J Gastroenterol 36:48-54. 2001....
- Essential fatty acids in early life: structural and functional roleR Uauy
Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, TX, USA
Proc Nutr Soc 59:3-15. 2000b>Essential fatty acids (EFA) are structural components of all tissues and are indispensable for cell membrane synthesis; the brain, retina and other neural tissues are particularly rich in long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LCPUFA)...
- [Fat and fatty acids chosen in chocolates content]Andrzej Tarkowski
Instytut Zywienia Zwierzat, Akademia Rolnicza w Lublinie, 20 934 Lublin
Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig 58:351-6. 2007..Among of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids depended from kind of chocolates dominated, palmitic, stearic, oleic and, linoleic acids. Supplements of nut in chocolates had on influence of high oleic and linoleic level..
- Structural characterization of triacylglycerol in several oils containing gamma-linolenic acidSatoru Shimizu
The United Graduate School of Agriculture Sciences, Iwate University, Morioka, Iwate 020 8550, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67:60-7. 2003..8% in EPO, and 56.6% in BIO. In OBLO, the GLA level at the sn-2 position of the major TG species was higher than that in EPO. In BIO, the GLA level at the sn-2 position of the major TG species was lower than those in OBLO and EPO...
- A randomized multicenter study of gamolenic acid (Efamast) with and without antioxidant vitamins and minerals in the management of mastalgiaAmit Goyal
Department of Surgery, Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
Breast J 11:41-7. 2005..This study showed that GLA (Efamast) efficacy did not differ from that of placebo fatty acids, regardless of whether or not antioxidant vitamins were present...
- Long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in maternal and infant nutritionFrits A J Muskiet
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University Medical Center Groningen, The Netherlands
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 75:135-44. 2006..After a brief introduction in essential fatty acids (EFA), LCP and their functions, this contribution discusses our present low status of notably LCPomega3 in ..
- Brain metabolism of nutritionally essential polyunsaturated fatty acids depends on both the diet and the liverStanley I Rapoport
Brain Physiology and Metabolism Section, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Building 9, Room 1S128, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 77:251-61. 2007..These changes, plus reduced levels of brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and cAMP response element-binding protein (CREB) in n-3 PUFA diet deficient rats, likely render their brain more vulnerable to neuropathological insults...
- Dietary intake of essential and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids in pregnancyElizabeth D Loosemore
University of Connecticut, Department of Nutritional Sciences, Storrs, CT 06269 4017, USA
Lipids 39:421-4. 2004..We conclude that replacing dietary sources of SFA with those of EFA and LCPUFA, especially n-3 LCPUFA, would benefit the dietary fat profiles of all pregnant women...
- Is there clinical evidence supporting the use of botanical dietary supplements in children?Andrea Hrastinger
Institut fuer Pharmakognosie, Karl Franzens Universitaet Graz, Austria
J Pediatr 146:311-7. 2005
- Topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs versus oil of evening primrose in the treatment of mastalgiaS Qureshi
Department of Surgery Surgical Unit 11, Dow Medical College and Civil Hospital, Karachi, Pakistan
Surgeon 3:7-10. 2005..To compare oil of evening primrose (OEP) and topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAIDs) with respect to safety, effectiveness, rapidity of response, cost effectiveness and acceptability in the treatment of breast pain...
- Maternal dietary fat alters amniotic fluid and fetal intestinal membrane essential n-6 and n-3 fatty acids in the ratRussell Friesen
Nutrition Research Program, Research Institute for Child and Family Health, 950 W 28th Ave, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V5Z 4H4
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 290:G505-10. 2006..that maternal dietary fat influences amniotic fluid and fetal intestinal membrane structural lipid essential fatty acids. Maternal dietary fat can influence tissue composition by manipulation of amniotic fluid that is swallowed ..
- Dietary PUFA for preterm and term infants: review of clinical studiesM Fleith
Nestle Research Center, Lausanne, Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 45:205-29. 2005....
- Effect of a combination of isoflavones and Actaea racemosa Linnaeus on climacteric symptoms in healthy symptomatic perimenopausal women: a 12-week randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind studyMarieke O Verhoeven
Project Ageing Women, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Menopause 12:412-20. 2005..To investigate the effects of a novel dietary supplement containing soy isoflavones and Actaea racemosa Linnaeus (formerly called Cimicifuga racemosa L.) on climacteric symptoms in healthy perimenopausal women...
- Diet and gene expression: delta-5 and delta-6 desaturases in healthy Chinese and European subjectsM Xiang
Centre for Biosciences Research, School of Science, University of Greenwich, Kent, UK
Ann Nutr Metab 50:492-8. 2006..To compare the composition of fatty acids (FAs) in diet, and the expression of delta-6 desaturase (D6D) and delta-5 desaturase (D5D) genes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) between Chinese and Europeans...
- Golden nail pigmentationGirish K Patel
J Dermatolog Treat 13:41-2. 2002
- Dietary fish and evening primrose oil with vitamin E effects on semen variables in cockerelsS Cerolini
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Veterinarie per la Sicurezza Alimentare, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Br Poult Sci 46:214-22. 2005..The proportion of motile spermatozoa was improved by the increased supplementation of vitamin E in all oil treatments...
- A meta-analysis of randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials of Efamol evening primrose oil in atopic eczema. Where do we go from here in light of more recent discoveries?N L Morse
Wassen International Ltd, 14 The Mole Business Park, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 7BA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 7:503-24. 2006..However, the magnitude of this effect is reduced in association with increasing frequency of potent steroid use...
- Evening primrose oil effects on osteoclasts during tooth movementSuwimol Taweechaisupapong
Department of Oral Diagnosis, Faculty of Dentistry, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen 40002, Thailand
Angle Orthod 75:356-61. 2005..05). This study indicates that oral administration of EPO can increase the number of osteoclasts and may accelerate orthodontic tooth movement...
- Essential and long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid status and fatty acid composition of breast milk of lactating adolescentsFlavia Meneses
Laboratorio de Bioquimica Nutricional e de Alimentos, Departamento de Bioquimica, Instituto de Quimica, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Cidade Universitaria, CT Bl A, 21949 909, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Br J Nutr 100:1029-37. 2008The aims of the present study were to evaluate essential fatty acids (EFA) and long-chain PUFA (LCPUFA) status in lactating adolescents and its association with breast milk composition...
- [Study on the encapsulation technique of high purity gamma-linolenic acid, part 1--Single factor, and two-factor tests for encapsulation process]Feng xia Liu
Central China University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 30:433-5. 2005..To study the effects of all factors during the process of urea encapsulation of gamma-linolenic acid on the purity and yield...
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2012..mothers have lower levels of docosaehexanoic acid - a long chain polyunsaturated (LC-PUFA) derivative of essential fatty acids - than female offspring, while no differences in LC-PUFAlevels exist between male and female offspring of ..
- Mechanism of action of omega-3 fatty acids in brain injuryCHARLES NICHOLAS SERHAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..fields to propose the foundation for a new field of investigation -- signaling mechanisms of omega-3 essential fatty acids in inflammatory disease control...
- Maternal obesity depresses essential fatty acid transport in the placentaPERRIE F O'TIERNEY-GINN; Fiscal Year: 2013..mothers have lower levels of docosaehexanoic acid - a long chain polyunsaturated (LC-PUFA) derivative of essential fatty acids - than female offspring, while no differences in LC-PUFA levels exist between male and female offspring of ..
- MECHANISMS OF MILK LIPID SECRETIONJAMES LEWIS MCMANAMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..NICHD Health Relatedness: CLD are the source of milk lipids, which are required neonatal growth, and essential fatty acids and cholesterol needed for membrane synthesis, particularly in the CNS...
- Intestinal Triacylglycerol Metabolism and Energy BalanceChi Liang Eric Yen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Triacylglycerol metabolism in the intestine is essential for the assimilation of high-energy substrates, essential fatty acids, and fat-soluble nutrients and vitamins...
- Functional Analysis of MGAT EnzymesRobert V Farese; Fiscal Year: 2010..Additionally, if MGAT2 deficiency protects against diet-induced obesity, it may also protect against diet-induced insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. ..
- Nutritional Components of Psychiatric Disease and Treatment ResponseSimon J Evans; Fiscal Year: 2013..The research component of this application focuses on a specific hypothesis regarding the role of essential fatty acids in bipolar disorder and integrates all aspects of the mentored and didactic training...
- Linking Lipoxygenases with Essential Fatty Acids and Epidermal Barrier FormationAlan R Brash; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- VULNERABILITY OF THE FETUS/INFANT TO PAH, PM2.5 AND ETS.Frederica Perera; Fiscal Year: 2004..5 ETS, nutritional status (essential fatty acids and antioxidants) and other potential confounders; 2. To explore whether non-PAH components of PM2...
- STRUCTURE-FUNCTION ANALYSIS OF COLIPASE AND LIPASEMark Lowe; Fiscal Year: 2005..Dietary fats provide a major source of energy, essential fatty acids, a vehicle for fat-soluble vitamins, and components of cellular membranes...
- Structural Biology of Eicosanoid BiosynthesisR Garavito; Fiscal Year: 2005The dietary or essential fatty acids linoleate and alpha-linolenate play extremely important roles in mammalian physiology...
- GROWTH AND NUTRITION IN ALAGILLE SYNDROMEANDREW MULBERG; Fiscal Year: 1999..bile salt concentration, resulting in ineffective solubilization and absorption of dietary lipid, essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins...
- LIPIDS IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF OSTEOARTHROSISLouis Lippiello; Fiscal Year: 1990..of hyperlipidemia induces aberrant cartilage metabolism if lipid accumalation by chondrocytes includes the essential fatty acids arachidonic acid or linoleic acid. It is the intent of the P.I...
- Conference on Lipids in Immune FunctionRobert Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..S. researchers and other participants in the area of essential fatty acids (EFAs) in immune-mediated diseases; 2) To identify and formulate recommendations to the National ..
- CONTROL OF GENE TRANSCRIPTION BY ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDSThomas Gettys; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed research continues our efforts to identify molecular targets that can be manipulated by diet or drugs for the purpose of reducing cellular lipid accumulation and hence lessen a complication of diabetes. ..
- ANTIOXIDANTS AND BREAST CANCER PREVENTIONHenry Thompson; Fiscal Year: 1990..Animals with be fed chemically-defined diets which are low or high in fat and adequate in essential fatty acids but which vary in their content of selenium and vitamin E...
- LIPID DIET EFFECTS ON COLON TUMOR GROWTH AND METASTASESSELWYN BROITMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991..CT-26 when implanted into the colon, a nutrition responsive site (NR), is enhanced by increasing dietary essential fatty acids (EFA)...
- MODULATION OF KERATINOCYTE GROWTH AND SPECIALIZATIONCYNTHIA MARCELO; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract) - In essential fatty acid (EFA) deficient epidermal skin disease, lack of the dietary essential fatty acids 18:2 and 20:4 (n-6) results in a hyperproliferative epidermis...
- APOE4 and Loss of Synaptic IntegrityPatrick Sullivan; Fiscal Year: 2009..We find significant reductions in specific phospholipid species (i.e. putative essential fatty acids (EFA)) in apoE4 hippocampus compared to apoES mice...
- Clinical Trial of Essential Fatty Acids for Dry Eye Disease: Planning GrantPenny Asbell; Fiscal Year: 2009..provided by applicant): The proposed study will examine in a scientific, controlled way the role of essential fatty acids (EFA) in the treatment of dry-eye disease (DED)...
- Lipidomics Session ISSFAL 2006JAMES BRENNA; Fiscal Year: 2006..ISSFAL 2006 incorporates the (6th) International Congress on Essential Fatty Acids and Eicosanoids and the (3rd) PUFA in Maternal and Infant Health...
- DIETARY OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS, GENE EXPRESSION AND GROWTHWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN MATERNAL, INFANT & CHILD NUTRITIONWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Impact of Development on Protein Utilization and GrowthWilliam Heird; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overall, the findings of this project are expected to contribute to further improvements in nutritional management and, hence, outcome of LBW infants. ..
- Plurality and Contemporary Infant Mortality RisksBarbara Luke; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MATHEMATICAL MODELING IN NUTRITIONJames Hargrove; Fiscal Year: 2003..Lastly, a panel will discuss the use of modeling in undergraduate and graduate education, and will make recommendations for appropriate activities of a new Research Interest Section on Mathematical Modeling. ..
- Eighth Nerve Stimulation for the Treatment of ADHDL Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2003..We hypothesize that CMA stimulation will show a larger effect than simple rotary stimulation, significant compared to sham control. Sufficient sample size is assured by the Ohio State University's recruitment record. ..
- Prenatal Factors and Risk of Bipolar DisorderALAN STEWART BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Oxidative Stress and Anti-Inflammatory Lipids in Airway DiseaseBruce D Levy; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this proposal, we seek to develop a better understanding of the natural biological processes invoked during airway infection and inflammation that dysregulate the natural homeostatic mechanisms. (End of Abstract) ..
- Role of the 5-Lipoxygenase Pathway in AtherosclerosisHooman Allayee; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- NEUROCOGNITIVE BOUNDARIES OF THE SCHIZOPHRENIA SPECTRUMRuth Condray; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) To compare language processing between schizophrenic patients, family members of schizophrenic probands, and normal controls. ..
- Antimicrobial Lipids within the Oral CavityPHILIP WESLEY WERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Maternal Morbidity and Mortality in Multiple PregnancyBarbara Luke; Fiscal Year: 2006..The main hypothesis of this proposal is that higher plurality is the predominant factor affecting maternal morbidity and mortality, further potentated by older maternal age and primiparity. ..
- Prenatal factors and risk of autism in a Finnish national birth cohortALAN STEWART BROWN; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- NOVEL LUNG DERIVED CHALONES--BIOSYNTHESIS AND BIOACTIONSBruce Levy; Fiscal Year: 2002..End of Abstract) ..
- Serologic Studies of Prenatal Factors in SchizophreniaAlan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2002..For this purpose, we shall quantify levels of these cytokines in 100 SSD cases and their respective matched controls, and compare these levels between the groups. ..
- RETINOIDS, M6P/IGF II RECEPTOR & CELL GROWTH REGULATIONJing Kang; Fiscal Year: 2002..This knowledge may lead to novel or more effective therapeutic and preventive approaches for cancer and developmental defects. ..
- Pharmacotherapy for Minor DepressionRobert Howland; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of this study will have profound public health implications by improving our understanding of the efficacy of SJW and standard antidepressants for the treatment of MinorD. ..
- NAVBO Workshop: Biology of Signaling in the Cardiovascular SystemTimothy Hla; Fiscal Year: 2008..End of Abstract) [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Diagnostic Development for NASHSteven Watkins; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Biochemical and Metabolic Properties of 10-HETEARTHUR SPECTOR; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ultimate goal of this project is to provide the additional mechanistic insight necessary to develop new therapeutic approaches to overcome the pathological actions of 20-HETE. ..
- Niacin Sensitivity and Fatty Acids in SchizophreniaErik Messamore; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Controlled Trial of an Herbal Therapy for ADHDWendy Weber; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Postpartum Depression: Omega-3 FA vs PlaceboMarlene Freeman; Fiscal Year: 2006..These doses should provide an adequate test of the efficacy of omega-3 fatty acids while being safe for the mother and breastfeeding baby. ..
- Age-Dependent Response of Hippocampal Neurons to StressGregory Brewer; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL INSULT AND BRAIN ANOMALY IN SCHIZOPHRENIAAlan Brown; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- PILOT EXPLORATIONS OF ZINC EFFECTS IN ADHDL Arnold; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is a metalloenzyme for 100 metabolic processes involving essential fatty acids, their metabolites, neurotransmitters, and melatonin, which regulates brain dopamine activity, believed ..
- Austin 5HT Candidate Gene Discovery with C ElegansJ Jay Gargus; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Food Rheology and Feeding in Lean and Obese HumansRichard Mattes; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- DIETARY OBESITYGeorge Bray; Fiscal Year: 2007..We now propose these well founded, important and exciting studies which will provide critical new insights into anatomical, physiological and molecular mechanisms by which high levels of dietary fat induce obesity. ..
- Phospholipid and Arachidonic Acid Signaling in EpilepsyNicolas Bazan; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Lipid Mediators in the Resolution of Asthma ExacerbationsBruce Levy; Fiscal Year: 2008..This proposal's specific aims are directed towards uncovering basic mechanisms in the pathobiology of resolution from asthma exacerbation. ..
- HEDONICS AND DIETARY INTAKE OF FATRichard Mattes; Fiscal Year: 2008..This will be explored through stable isotope tracer studies for Aim 3. The proposed work will hold important public health, clinical, commercial and basic biological implications. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Omega-6/Omega-3 Fatty Acid Ratio and TumorigenesisJing Kang; Fiscal Year: 2009..Information derived from these studies will increase our understanding of the importance of n-3 fatty acids as well as n-6/n-3 fatty acid ratio in cancer prevention and help guide dietary advice. ..