Genomes and Genes
Summary: A topically used antibiotic from a strain of Pseudomonas fluorescens. It has shown excellent activity against gram-positive staphylococci and streptococci. The antibiotic is used primarily for the treatment of primary and secondary skin disorders, nasal infections, and wound healing.
Publications232 found, 100 shown here
- Selective use of intranasal mupirocin and chlorhexidine bathing and the incidence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization and infection among intensive care unit patientsGlenn Ridenour
Division of Infectious Diseases, Hunter Holmes McGuire Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Richmond, VA 23236, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1155-61. 2007To determine whether the use of chlorhexidine bathing and intranasal mupirocin therapy among patients colonized with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) would decrease the incidence of MRSA colonization and infection among ..
- Mupirocin resistanceJean B Patel
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Clin Infect Dis 49:935-41. 2009..methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection, it is possible that there will be increased use of mupirocin for nasal decolonization of MRSA...
- Insights into editing from an ile-tRNA synthetase structure with tRNAile and mupirocinL F Silvian
Department of Molecular Biophysics, Yale University, and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, New Haven, CT 06520 8114, USA
Science 285:1074-7. 1999..The 2.2 angstrom resolution crystal structure of Staphylococcus aureus IleRS complexed with tRNA(Ile) and Mupirocin shows the acceptor strand of the tRNA(Ile) in the continuously stacked, A-form conformation with the 3' terminal ..
- Targeted intranasal mupirocin to prevent colonization and infection by community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains in soldiers: a cluster randomized controlled trialMichael W Ellis
Department of Medicine, Brooke Army Medical Center, Infectious Disease Service MCHE MDI, Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3591-8. 2007..conducted a cluster randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial to determine whether targeted intranasal mupirocin therapy in CA-MRSA-colonized soldiers could prevent infection in the treated individual and prevent new ..
- Global analysis of the Staphylococcus aureus response to mupirocinSwantje Reiss
Institut fur Mikrobiologie, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat, Greifswald, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:787-804. 2012In the present study, we analyzed the response of S. aureus to mupirocin, the drug of choice for nasal decolonization...
- Quorum-sensing-dependent regulation of biosynthesis of the polyketide antibiotic mupirocin in Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586A K El-Sayed
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Microbiology 147:2127-39. 2001b>Mupirocin (pseudomonic acid) is a polyketide antibiotic, targeting isoleucyl-tRNA synthase, and produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586...
- Intranasal mupirocin reduces sternal wound infection after open heart surgery in diabetics and nondiabeticsG E Cimochowski
Department of Cardiac Surgery, Wilkes-Barre General Hospital, Pennsylvania, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1572-8; discussion 1578-9. 2001BACKGROUND: This study was designed to determine whether decreasing nasal bacterial colonization by applying Mupirocin (MPN) intranasally decreases sternal wound infections...
- A novel chimeric lysin shows superiority to mupirocin for skin decolonization of methicillin-resistant and -sensitive Staphylococcus aureus strainsMina Pastagia
Laboratory of Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10065, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:738-44. 2011..aureus. Unlike the standard topical antibacterial agent mupirocin, ClyS eradicated a significantly greater number of methicillin-susceptible S. aureus (MSSA) and -resistant S...
- Asymptomatic nasal carriage of mupirocin-resistant, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in a pet dog associated with MRSA infection in household contactsFarrin A Manian
Division of Infectious Diseases, St John s Mercy Medical Center, St Louis, Missouri 63141, USA
Clin Infect Dis 36:e26-8. 2003..Culture of nares samples from the family dog grew mupirocin-resistant (minimum inhibitory concentration >1024 microg/mL) MRSA that had a pulsed-field gel electrophoresis ..
- Nasal lavage with mupirocin for the treatment of surgically recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitisBrent Uren
Department of Surgery Otolaryngology, University of Adelaide, Woodville, Australia
Laryngoscope 118:1677-80. 2008To examine the efficacy and tolerability of topical mupirocin for the management of surgically recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) associated with Staphylococcus aureus infection.
- Intranasal mupirocin to prevent postoperative Staphylococcus aureus infectionsTrish M Perl
University of Iowa Colleges of Medicine and Public Health, Iowa City, USA
N Engl J Med 346:1871-7. 2002..Treatment with mupirocin ointment can reduce the rate of nasal carriage and may prevent postoperative S. aureus infections.
- Multidrug-resistant clones of community-associated meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from Chinese children and the resistance genes to clindamycin and mupirocinLijuan Wang
Key Laboratory of Major Disease in Children and National Key Discipline of Pediatrics, Ministry of Education, Beijing Pediatric Research Institute, Beijing Children s Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, PR China
J Med Microbiol 61:1240-7. 2012..CA) meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) to identify the genes responsible for clindamycin and mupirocin resistance in S. aureus isolates from paediatric hospitals in mainland China. A total of 435 S...
- An in vitro biofilm model to examine the effect of antibiotic ointments on biofilms produced by burn wound bacterial isolatesAdrienne A Hammond
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX, USA
Burns 37:312-21. 2011..Yet, a simple in vitro assay to compare the susceptibility of biofilms produced by burn wound isolates to different topical antibiotics has not been reported...
- Relationship of protein structure of isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase with pseudomonic acid resistance of Escherichia coli. A proposed mode of action of pseudomonic acid as an inhibitor of isoleucyl-tRNA synthetaseT Yanagisawa
Department of Molecular Biology, School of Science, Nagoya University, Japan
J Biol Chem 269:24304-9. 1994....
- In vitro activity of lysostaphin, mupirocin, and tea tree oil against clinical methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusKerry L LaPlante
Department of Pharmacy Practice, University of Rhode Island, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Providence, RI 02908, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:413-8. 2007..We examined the activity of lysostaphin, mupirocin, and tea tree oil against clinical MRSA (n = 98) isolates. MIC(50) (range) were as follows: lysostaphin, 0...
- A randomized trial of mupirocin sinonasal rinses versus saline in surgically recalcitrant staphylococcal chronic rhinosinusitisJoshua Jervis-Bardy
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Adelaide and Flinders University, Adelaide, Australia
Laryngoscope 122:2148-53. 2012Chronic rhinosinusitis (CRS) recalcitrant to surgery is a frustrating clinical entity. Recently, mupirocin sinonasal rinses have been suggested as an efficacious treatment alternative in these patients where Staphylococcus aureus ..
- Development of microsponges for topical delivery of mupirocinNetal Amrutiya
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, C U Shah College of Pharmacy, S N D T Women s University, Santacruz W, Mumbai, 400049, Maharashtra, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 10:402-9. 2009The goal of the present study was to develop and evaluate microsponge-based topical delivery system of mupirocin for sustained release and enhanced drug deposition in the skin...
- Mupirocin: biosynthesis, special features and applications of an antibiotic from a gram-negative bacteriumRachel Gurney
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 90:11-21. 2011b>Mupirocin is a polyketide antibiotic produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens. The biosynthetic cluster encodes 6 type I polyketide synthase multifunctional proteins and 29 single function proteins...
- In vitro activity of mupirocin on clinical isolates of Staphylococcus aureus and its potential implications in chronic rhinosinusitisKien R Ha
Department of Surgery Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The University of Adelaide, Adelaide, South Australia
Laryngoscope 118:535-40. 2008..This study investigates the effectiveness of mupirocin and two other antibiotics, ciprofloxacin and vancomycin, on established in vitro biofilms of Staphylococcus ..
- Resistance to and synthesis of the antibiotic mupirocinChristopher M Thomas
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Nat Rev Microbiol 8:281-9. 2010b>Mupirocin, a polyketide antibiotic produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens, is used to control the carriage of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on skin and in nasal passages as well as for various skin infections...
- Dynamic of nasal colonization by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ST398 and ST1 after mupirocin treatment in a family in close contact with pigsCarmen Lozano
Area Bioquímica y Biología Molecular, Universidad de La Rioja, Logrono, Spain
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 34:e1-7. 2011Nasal colonization by methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) was evaluated after a mupirocin treatment in a family previously colonized by MRSA sequence type ST398 and ST1, who lived close to a pig farm...
- Impact of combined low-level mupirocin and genotypic chlorhexidine resistance on persistent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage after decolonization therapy: a case-control studyAndie S Lee
Infection Control Program, Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Clin Infect Dis 52:1422-30. 2011The clinical importance of low-level mupirocin resistance and genotypic chlorhexidine resistance remains unclear...
- Effect of mupirocin treatment on nasal, pharyngeal, and perineal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus in healthy adultsHeiman F L Wertheim
Erasmus MC, University Hospital Rotterdam, Department of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:1465-7. 2005Nasal carriage of Staphylococcus aureus is an important risk factor for S. aureus infections. Mupirocin nasal ointment is presently the treatment of choice for decolonizing the anterior nares...
- Mupirocin prophylaxis against nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus infections in nonsurgical patients: a randomized studyHeiman F L Wertheim
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Ann Intern Med 140:419-25. 2004..aureus infection. Studies show that intranasal mupirocin can prevent nosocomial surgical site infections...
- The evaluation of a mupirocin-based selective medium for the enumeration of bifidobacteria from probiotic animal feedP J Simpson
Teagasc, Dairy Products Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co Cork, Ireland
J Microbiol Methods 57:9-16. 2004In this study, MRS medium supplemented with cysteine hydrochloride and mupirocin, termed Bifidobacterium selective medium (BSM) was found to be elective for bifidobacteria but inhibitory to a wide range of non-bifidobacteria strains ..
- A clinical trial of mupirocin in the eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage in a digestive disease unitC Dupeyron
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, Hopital Albert Chenevier, Creteil, France
J Hosp Infect 52:281-7. 2002..The efficacy of a program of nasal carriage eradication with mupirocin was evaluated simultaneously...
- Acquisition of high-level mupirocin resistance and its fitness cost among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains with low-level mupirocin resistanceKanokporn Mongkolrattanothai
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria, Ilinois 61637, USA
J Clin Microbiol 47:4158-60. 2009We investigated whether methicillin (meticillin)-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolates with low-level mupirocin resistance can serve as recipients of a pSK41-like plasmid conferring high-level mupirocin resistance without ..
- Antibacterial activity of propolis against MRSA and synergism with topical mupirocinYusuf Onlen
Department of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology, Mustafa Kemal University Faculty of Medicine, Hatay, Turkey
J Altern Complement Med 13:713-8. 2007The aim of the present study was to investigate the activity of the propolis and its combinations with mupirocin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in nasal carriage.
- The NOSE study (nasal ointment for Staphylococcus aureus eradication): a randomized controlled trial of monthly mupirocin in HIV-infected individualsRachel J Gordon
Department of Medicine, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 55:466-72. 2010..HIV-positive patients at HELP/PSI, Inc, an in-patient drug rehabilitation center, had a high baseline prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus colonization (49%) and incidence of infection (17%) in a previous year-long study...
- Prospective investigation of nasal mupirocin, hexachlorophene body wash, and systemic antibiotics for prevention of recurrent community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infectionsLoren G Miller
Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, California, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:1084-6. 2012..We prospectively evaluated 31 patients with recurrent CA-MRSA skin infections who received nasal mupirocin, topical hexachlorophene body wash, and an oral anti-MRSA antibiotic...
- Risk factors for isolation of low-level mupirocin-resistant versus -susceptible methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from patients in intensive care unitsDae Won Park
Department of Internal Medicine, The Institute of Emerging Infectious Diseases, College of Medicine, Korea University, 126 1 Anam Dong 5th Street, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul 136 705, Republic of Korea
J Infect 54:337-42. 2007The aim of this study was to determine the risk factors for the recovery of low-level mupirocin-resistant (mup(r)) or -susceptible (mup(s)) MRSA from patients in intensive care units (ICUs).
- A model for evaluating topical antimicrobial efficacy against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus biofilms in superficial murine woundsEric D Roche
Research and Development, Healthpoint Biotherapeutics, Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:4508-10. 2012..Common topical antimicrobial agents had reduced efficacy when treatment was initiated 24 h after inoculation compared to 4 h after inoculation. This model provides a rapid in vivo test for new agents to treat wound biofilm infections...
- Improved burns therapy: liposomes-in-hydrogel delivery system for mupirocinJulia Hurler
Drug Transport and Delivery Research Group, Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Tromsø, Tromsø N 9037, Norway
J Pharm Sci 101:3906-15. 2012..b>Mupirocin-in-liposomes-in-hydrogels were proposed as advanced delivery system for improved burn therapy...
- Cost-effectiveness of preoperative nasal mupirocin treatment in preventing surgical site infection in patients undergoing total hip and knee arthroplasty: a cost-effectiveness analysisXan F Courville
Department of Orthopaedics, Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire 03756, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 33:152-9. 2012To perform a cost-effectiveness analysis to evaluate preoperative use of mupirocin in patients with total joint arthroplasty (TJA).
- Structural basis for the recognition of isoleucyl-adenylate and an antibiotic, mupirocin, by isoleucyl-tRNA synthetaseT Nakama
Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry, Graduate School of Science, University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
J Biol Chem 276:47387-93. 2001..inhibits the isoleucyl-tRNA synthetases (IleRSs) from the three primary kingdoms, whereas the antibiotic mupirocin inhibits only the eubacterial and archaeal IleRSs, but not the eukaryotic enzymes, and therefore is clinically ..
- Treatment of chronic rhinosinusitis exacerbations due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with mupirocin irrigationsC Arturo Solares
The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Head and Neck Institute, OH 44195, USA
Am J Otolaryngol 27:161-5. 2006..Treatment often involves intravenous antibiotics that provide only transient benefits. Mupirocin has well-recognized antistaphylococcal activity, and its nasal formulation is approved by the Food and Drug ..
- Catalytic asymmetric synthesis of a potent thiomarinol antibioticXuri Gao
Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta T6G 2G2, Canada
J Am Chem Soc 127:1628-9. 2005..This key operation provides a rare example of an enantioselective HDA reaction involving acyclic 2-substituted enol ethers, and it featured an unusual but fortuitous kinetic selection that favored the requisite Z-dienophile...
- In vivo transfer of high-level mupirocin resistance from Staphylococcus epidermidis to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus associated with failure of mupirocin prophylaxisJulian G Hurdle
School of Biochemistry and Microbiology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 56:1166-8. 2005We examined the molecular basis of the emergence of mupirocin resistance in a methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) strain colonizing a nursing home resident undergoing mupirocin prophylaxis...
- Virulence characteristic and MLST-agr genetic background of high-level mupirocin-resistant, MRSA isolates from Shanghai and Wenzhou, ChinaQingzhong Liu
Department of Clinical Laboratory, Shanghai First People s Hospital, School of Medicine, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai, China
PLoS ONE 7:e37005. 2012The emergence and prevalence of high-level mupirocin-resistant, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MuH MRSA) is challenging the eradication of MRSA nasal carriage and the treatment of skin and soft tissue infections...
- Community-genotype strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with high-level mupirocin resistance in a neonatal intensive care unitSo Hyun Park
Department of Pediatrics, St Vincent s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, Gyeonggi Do, Republic of Korea
Early Hum Dev 89:661-5. 2013The aim of this study was to investigate the genotypes of mupirocin-resistant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MR-MRSA) isolates in our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and their potential source.
- Lack of efficacy of mupirocin in the prevention of infections with Staphylococcus aureus in liver transplant recipients and candidatesDavid L Paterson
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Transplantation 75:194-8. 2003..However, the role of decolonization with mupirocin applied intranasally for the prevention of S. aureus infections in these patients has not been determined.
- The emergence of mupirocin resistance among clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Trinidad: a first reportFitzroy A Orrett
Department of Paraclinical Sciences, Unit of Pathology and Microbiology, Faculty of Medical Sciences, The University of the West Indies, St Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago, West Indies
Jpn J Infect Dis 61:107-10. 2008The objective of the study was to investigate the trend of mupirocin resistance among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in Trinidad...
- Insights into physiological and genetic mupirocin susceptibility in bifidobacteriaFausta Serafini
Department of Genetics, Biology of Microorganisms, Anthropology, and Evolution, University of Parma, Parco Area delle Scienze 11A, 43124 Parma, Italy
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:3141-6. 2011b>Mupirocin is an antibiotic commonly used in selective media for the isolation of bifidobacteria. However, little is known about the genetic traits responsible for bifidobacterial resistance to mupirocin...
- Prophylaxis against Staphylococcus aureus vascular graft infection with mupirocin-soaked, collagen-sealed dacronR Ghiselli
Department of General Surgery, INRCA IRRCS, University of Ancona, Ancona, Italy
J Surg Res 99:316-20. 2001A rat model was used to investigate the efficacy of mupirocin in the prevention of vascular prosthetic graft infections...
- Does nasal colonization or mupirocin treatment affect recurrence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus skin and skin structure infections?Joseph Rahimian
Department of Infectious Diseases, St Vincent s Hospital, Manhattan, New York Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 28:1415-6. 2007..We performed a retrospective study and determined that the presence of nasal colonization did not affect recurrence and nasal mupirocin treatment marginally decreased recurrence.
- Mupirocin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus causing recurrent skin and soft tissue infections in childrenJ Chase McNeil
Department of Pediatrics, Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children s Hospital, Feigin Center, Suite 1150, 1102 Bates St, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:2431-3. 2011Staphylococcus aureus resistance to mupirocin is often caused by acquisition of a novel isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase encoded on the plasmid gene mupA. We tested S...
- Mupirocin for preventing exit-site infection and peritonitis in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysisGaosi Xu
Department of Nephrology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Nanchang University, Nanchang, China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:587-92. 2010Recently, there have been increasing concerns about the emergence of mupirocin resistance and increased infections due to lowered inhibition of Staphylococcus aureus...
- Phosphopantetheinylation and specificity of acyl carrier proteins in the mupirocin biosynthetic clusterJennifer A Shields
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Chembiochem 11:248-55. 2010Acyl carrier proteins are vital for the biosynthesis of fatty acids and polyketides. The mupirocin biosynthetic cluster of Pseudomonas fluorescens encodes eleven type I ACPs embedded in its multifunctional polyketide synthase (PKS) ..
- Topical mupirocin/sodium hypochlorite reduces peritonitis and exit-site infection rates in childrenAnnabelle N Chua
Department of Pediatrics, Renal Division, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 4:1939-43. 2009..The effect of topical mupirocin (Mup) and sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) solution was evaluated as part of routine daily exit site care on ..
- Amplification of the gene for isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase facilitates adaptation to the fitness cost of mupirocin resistance in Salmonella entericaWilhelm Paulander
Department of Microbiology, College of Biological Sciences, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Genetics 185:305-12. 2010..This adaptation process was studied in mupirocin-resistant (Mup(R)) strains of Salmonella enterica...
- Manipulation of quorum sensing regulation in Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586 to increase mupirocin productionJoanne Hothersall
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 90:1017-26. 2011Transcription of the 74 kb Pseudomonas fluorescens mupirocin [pseudomonic acid (PA)] biosynthesis cluster depends on quorum sensing-dependent regulation via the LuxI/LuxR homologues MupI/MupR...
- Mupirocin and chlorhexidine resistance in Staphylococcus aureus in patients with community-onset skin and soft tissue infectionsStephanie A Fritz
Departments of Pediatrics, Washington University in St Louis School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 57:559-68. 2013Decolonization measures, including mupirocin and chlorhexidine, are often prescribed to prevent Staphylococcus aureus skin and soft tissue infections (SSTI)...
- A high prevalence of mupirocin and macrolide resistance determinant among Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from burnt patientsShadi Shahsavan
Department of Microbiology, School of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Burns 38:378-82. 2012..The resistance rate to methicillin, erythromycin and mupirocin were 58.5%, 58% and 40%, respectively...
- Molecular characterization of resistance to mupirocin in methicillin-susceptible and -resistant isolates of Staphylococcus aureus from nasal samplesFernando Chaves
Servicio de Microbiologia, Hospital Universitario Doce de Octubre, Avenida de Cordoba sn, 28041 Madrid, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 42:822-4. 2004A total of 15 of 101 (14.8%) nasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolates exhibited mupirocin resistance (Mup(r)) compared with 1 of 154 (0.6%) methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus isolates...
- Mupirocin resistance after long-term use for Staphylococcus aureus colonization in patients undergoing chronic peritoneal dialysisMiguel Pérez-Fontán
Division of Nephrology, Hospital Juan Canalejo, Coruna, Spain
Am J Kidney Dis 39:337-41. 2002b>Mupirocin (Mup) has been used extensively to prevent Staphylococcus aureus (SAu) infections in patients undergoing peritoneal dialysis (PD)...
- High-level mupirocin resistance within methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus pandemic lineagesEduardo Pérez-Roth
Unidad de Investigacion, Hospital Universitario Nuestra Senora de Candelaria, 38010 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:3207-11. 2006..Here, we investigated the emergence of high-level mupirocin resistance (Hi-Mup(r))...
- Clonal dissemination and mupA gene polymorphism of mupirocin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from long-term-care facilities in South KoreaJae Il Yoo
Laboratory of Antimicrobial Resistant Pathogens, Department of Microbiology, National Institute of Health, KCDC, 194, Tonil Lo, Eunpyung Gu, Seoul 122 701, South Korea
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:365-7. 2006We identified 25 high-level mupirocin-resistant (MuH) and 21 low-level mupirocin-resistant (MuL) Staphylococcus aureus isolates from eight long-term-care facilities (LTCFs)...
- Prevalence and mechanisms of low- and high-level mupirocin resistance in staphylococci isolated from a Korean hospitalHee Jeong Yun
National Creative Research Initiatives Center for ARS Network, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Shillim Dong, Kwanak gu, Seoul 151 742, Korea
J Antimicrob Chemother 51:619-23. 2003b>Mupirocin has been used against Gram-positive pathogenic bacteria, and is a specific inhibitor of bacterial isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase...
- The antifungal activity of mupirocinR O Nicholas
SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceuticals, Collegeville, PA 19426, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 43:579-82. 1999The antibacterial agent mupirocin (pseudomonic acid A) is used as a topical agent in the treatment of superficial infections by Gram-positive bacteria, particularly Staphylococcus aureus...
- Multiple mechanisms to ameliorate the fitness burden of mupirocin resistance in Salmonella typhimuriumWilhelm Paulander
Department of Bacteriology, Swedish Institute for Infectious Disease Control and Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology Center, Karolinska Institute, S 171 82 Solna, Sweden
Mol Microbiol 64:1038-48. 2007We examined how the fitness costs of mupirocin resistance caused by mutations in the chromosomal isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase gene (ileS) can be ameliorated...
- Increasing mupirocin resistance of Staphylococcus aureus in CAPD--should it continue to be used as prophylaxis?John M Conly
Perit Dial Int 22:649-52. 2002This editorial summarizes the mechanisms of mupirocin resistance and the conditions that promote its development...
- Investigation of the potential for mutational resistance to XF-73, retapamulin, mupirocin, fusidic acid, daptomycin, and vancomycin in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates during a 55-passage studyDavid J Farrell
Quotient Bioresearch Limited, Newmarket Road, Fordham, Cambs CB75WW, United Kingdom
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 55:1177-81. 2011..55-passage) resistance selection studies in the presence of subinhibitory concentrations of XF-73, retapamulin, mupirocin, fusidic acid, and vancomycin against four Network on Antimicrobial Resistance in Staphylococcus aureus MRSA ..
- Mupirocin resistance related to increasing mupirocin use in clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a pediatric populationJacob S Hogue
Department of Pediatrics, Madigan Army Medical Center, Tacoma, Washington, USA
J Clin Microbiol 48:2599-600. 2010..proportion of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolates from pediatric patients demonstrating mupirocin resistance related to mupirocin use at our institution...
- Effectiveness of mupirocin and polymyxin B in experimental Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Serratia marcescens keratitisJudy M Moreau
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Parasitology, LSU Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Cornea 21:807-11. 2002The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of mupirocin and polymyxin B, alone and in combination, in vitro and in vivo using rabbit models of, and keratitis.
- Treatment of Staphylococcus aureus colonization and prophylaxis for infection with topical intranasal mupirocin: an evidence-based reviewKevin B Laupland
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary and the Calgary Health Region, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 37:933-8. 2003..We critically appraised the published evidence regarding the efficacy of intranasal mupirocin for eradication of S. aureus nasal carriage and for prophylaxis of infection...
- Nasal decolonization of Staphylococcus aureus with mupirocin: strengths, weaknesses and future prospectsT Coates
University College London, London, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 64:9-15. 2009..UK guidelines recommend the use of mupirocin for nasal decolonization in certain groups of patients colonized with methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA)...
- Mupirocin-resistant, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: does mupirocin remain effective?Elaine S Walker
James H Quillen Veterans Affairs Hospital, James H Quillen College of Medicine, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City 37614, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 24:342-6. 2003To determine the efficacy of mupirocin ointment in reducing nasal colonization with mupirocin-susceptible, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MS MRSA) as well as mupirocin-resistant MRSA (MR MRSA).
- First report of clinical and microbiological failure in the eradication of glycopeptide-intermediate methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage by mupirocinJ W Decousser
Department of Hospital Health, Centre Hospitalier de Versailles, 177 rue de Versailles, 78157, Le Chesnay Cedex, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 22:318-9. 2003
- New quadriplex PCR assay for detection of methicillin and mupirocin resistance and simultaneous discrimination of Staphylococcus aureus from coagulase-negative staphylococciKunyan Zhang
Center for Antimicrobial Resistance, Calgary Health Region Calgary Laboratory Services University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2L 2K8
J Clin Microbiol 42:4947-55. 2004..Multiplex PCR assays have been developed for the detection of methicillin- and mupirocin-resistant S. aureus and CoNS but not for the simultaneous discrimination of S. aureus from CoNS...
- Surveillance for mupirocin resistance among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical isolatesKanokporn Mongkolrattanothai
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:993-4. 2008
- Shift to Pseudomonic acid B production in P. fluorescens NCIMB10586 by mutation of mupirocin tailoring genes mupO, mupU, mupV, and macpESian M Cooper
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Chem Biol 12:825-33. 2005b>Mupirocin, a polyketide-derived antibiotic from Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB10586, is a mixture of pseudomonic acids (PA) that target isoleucyl-tRNA synthase...
- Prevalence of clinical meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) with high-level mupirocin resistance in Shanghai and Wenzhou, ChinaQing Zhong Liu
Department of Clinical Microbiology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, 197 Ruijin 2nd Road, Shanghai 200025, China
Int J Antimicrob Agents 35:114-8. 2010..from Shanghai and Wenzhou in China were subjected to a screening test by disk diffusion for detection of mupirocin resistance. Among the 803 strains, 53 (6.6%) were mupirocin-resistant...
- Can mupirocin prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections?Heiman F L Wertheim
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease, Erasmus MC, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Care 9:257-8. 2005In a retrospective study, Dr Muller and colleagues have assessed the efficacy of mupirocin nasal ointment alongside hygienic measures in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)-positive patients admitted to the intensive care ..
- Decrease in the incidence of mupirocin resistance among methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in carriers from an intensive care unitJuliana Caierão
Fundacao Faculdade Federal de Ciencias Medicas de Porto Alegre
Am J Infect Control 34:6-9. 2006Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a serious nosocomial problem, globally distributed. Decolonization with mupirocin can be used to control its dissemination.
- Multiplex PCR for simultaneous identification of Staphylococcus aureus and detection of methicillin and mupirocin resistanceE Perez-Roth
Molecular Biology Laboratory, Research Unit, Nuestra Señora de Candelaria Hospital, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
J Clin Microbiol 39:4037-41. 2001..456-, and 651-bp regions of the mecA (encoding high-level methicillin resistance), ileS-2 (encoding high-level mupirocin resistance), and femB (encoding a factor essential for methicillin resistance) genes, respectively, from a ..
- Perioperative intranasal mupirocin for the prevention of surgical-site infections: systematic review of the literature and meta-analysisAlexander J Kallen
VA Outcomes Group, VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 26:916-22. 2005To review the evidence evaluating perioperative intranasal mupirocin for the prevention of surgical-site infections according to type of surgical procedure.
- Mutational analysis reveals that all tailoring region genes are required for production of polyketide antibiotic mupirocin by pseudomonas fluorescens: pseudomonic acid B biosynthesis precedes pseudomonic acid AJoanne Hothersall
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 282:15451-61. 2007The Pseudomonas fluorescens mupirocin biosynthetic cluster encodes six proteins involved in polyketide biosynthesis and 26 single polypeptides proposed to perform largely tailoring functions...
- How does Pseudomonas fluorescens avoid suicide from its antibiotic pseudomonic acid?: Evidence for two evolutionarily distinct isoleucyl-tRNA synthetases conferring self-defenseTatsuo Yanagisawa
Department of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Nagoya University, Chikusa, Nagoya 464 8602, Japan
J Biol Chem 278:25887-94. 2003..synthetases (IleRSs) encoded by two distinct genes (ileS1 and ileS2) were identified in pseudomonic acid (mupirocin)-producing Pseudomonas fluorescens...
- Mupirocin resistance among Iranian isolates of Staphylococcus aureusHorieh Saderi
Dept of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Med Sci Monit 14:BR210-3. 2008The topical agent mupirocin plays a crucial role in strategies designed to control outbreaks of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. The rate of high- and low-level mupirocin resistance among S...
- In vitro activity of retapamulin against Staphylococcus aureus isolates resistant to fusidic acid and mupirocinN Woodford
Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring and Reference Laboratory, HPA Centre for Infections, London NW9 5EQ, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 62:766-8. 2008We determined the in vitro activity of retapamulin, a novel pleuromutilin antibiotic, against 664 Staphylococcus aureus isolates from the UK, including many resistant to fusidic acid and/or highly resistant to mupirocin.
- Risk factors associated with mupirocin resistance in meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusA R Caffrey
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Infectious Diseases Research Program, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
J Hosp Infect 76:206-10. 2010..Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) decolonisation programmes has been increasing and the emergence of mupirocin resistance has been reported...
- The isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase mutation V588F conferring mupirocin resistance in glycopeptide-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus is not associated with a significant fitness burdenJulian G Hurdle
Antimicrobial Research Centre and Division of Microbiology, School of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:102-4. 2004Failure to eradicate nasal carriage of a glycopeptide-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus (strain GISA-2) with mupirocin was recently attributed to a mutation that confers low-level mupirocin resistance...
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus whole-body decolonization among hospitalized patients with variable site colonization by using mupirocin in combination with octenidine dihydrochlorideU Rohr
Division of Hygiene, University Hospital, Bergmannsheil Bochum, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, D 44789 Bochum, Germany
J Hosp Infect 54:305-9. 2003..Decolonization was performed by intranasal application of mupirocin, combined with an octenidine dihydrochloride bodywash over a period of five days...
- Long-term efficacy of mupirocin in the prevention of infections with meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a gastroenterology unitC Dupeyron
Service de Bactériologie Virologie Hygiène, Hopital Henri Mondor, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Creteil, France
J Hosp Infect 63:385-92. 2006..efficacy (55 months) of eradication of nasal carriage of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) by mupirocin was assessed for MRSA infections in a gastroenterology unit receiving patients for long hospital stays...
- Intranasal mupirocin for reduction of Staphylococcus aureus infections in surgical patients with nasal carriage: a systematic reviewMiranda M L Van Rijen
Laboratory for Microbiology and Infection Control, Amphia Hospital, Location Molengracht, PO Box 90158, 4800 RK Breda, The Netherlands
J Antimicrob Chemother 61:254-61. 2008..The objective of this review was to assess whether intranasal mupirocin treatment of nasal S. aureus carriers before surgery results in a reduction of the post-operative S...
- Mupirocin-resistant, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains in Canadian hospitalsAndrew E Simor
Department of Microbiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, B103 2075 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4N 3M5
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3880-6. 2007b>Mupirocin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus is increasingly being reported in many parts of the world. This study describes the epidemiology and laboratory characterization of mupirocin-resistant methicillin-resistant S...
- Mupirocin resistance in patients colonized with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a surgical intensive care unitJeffrey C Jones
Division of Infectious Diseases, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Infect Dis 45:541-7. 2007..Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) can be a precursor to serious infection, and decolonization with topical mupirocin has been studied as a means of preventing clinical infection...
- Impact of treating Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriers on wound infections in cardiac surgeryA Konvalinka
Division of Internal Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Hosp Infect 64:162-8. 2006..Treatment with mupirocin can eradicate the organism in the short term, and prophylactic treatment of colonized patients may prevent ..
- Folliculitis decalvans: successful treatment with a combination of rifampicin and topical mupirocinSukhjot Kaur
J Dermatol 29:180-1. 2002
- Molecular analysis of isoleucyl-tRNA synthetase mutations in clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with low-level mupirocin resistanceJin Ah Yang
Research Institute of Emerging Infectious Diseases, Korea University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 21:827-32. 2006Emergence and spread of low-level mupirocin resistance in staphylococci have been increasingly reported in recent years...
- Success of MRSA eradication in hospital routine: depends on complianceD Hansen
Hospital Hygiene, University Hospital Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Infection 35:260-4. 2007..We wanted to assess the effectiveness of MRSA eradication procedures--especially octenidine whole body washings and mupirocin nasal ointment--under conditions of everyday life.
- Interpretive criteria for mupirocin susceptibility testing of Staphylococcus spp. using CLSI guidelinesS Creagh
Department of Medical Microbiology, Cork University Hospital, Wilton, Cork, Ireland
Br J Biomed Sci 64:1-5. 2007b>Mupirocin is an antimicrobial agent commonly used to treat staphylococcal infection or to eliminate persistent carriage...
- Preoperative use of mupirocin for the prevention of healthcare-associated Staphylococcus aureus infections: a cost-effectiveness analysisLisa S Young
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:1304-12. 2006Staphylococcus aureus is the most common cause of healthcare-associated infections. Intranasal mupirocin treatment probably decreases S. aureus infections among colonized surgical patients...
- Randomized controlled trial of chlorhexidine gluconate for washing, intranasal mupirocin, and rifampin and doxycycline versus no treatment for the eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonizationAndrew E Simor
University of Toronto, and Dept of Microbiology, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, M4N 3M5, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 44:178-85. 2007..Eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) carriage may reduce the risk of MRSA infection and prevent transmission of the organism to other patients...
- Mupirocin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus in an Indian hospitalRavisekhar Gadepalli
Department of Microbiology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 29, India
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 58:125-7. 2007Two hundred Staphylococcus aureus strains collected from an Indian hospital were tested for mupirocin susceptibility using disc diffusion method and E-test...
- Surveillance for mupirocin resistance following introduction of routine peri-operative prophylaxis with nasal mupirocinW N Fawley
Department of Microbiology and Infection Control, Leeds Teaching Hospitals and University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
J Hosp Infect 62:327-32. 2006..have previously described the successful use of a five-day peri-operative prophylaxis regimen using nasal mupirocin and topical triclosan (PPNMTT) to prevent methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection...
- Synergistic effects of mupirocin and an isoflavanone isolated from Erythrina variegata on growth and recovery of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureusMasaru Sato
Department of Oral Pathology, Asahi University School of Dentistry, 1851 Hozumi, Mizuho, Gifu 501 0296, Japan
Int J Antimicrob Agents 24:241-6. 2004..13-6.25mg/l, while MICs of mupirocin were 0.20-3.13 mg/l...
- In vitro activity of linezolid, quinupristin-dalfopristin, vancomycin, teicoplanin, moxifloxacin and mupirocin against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: comparative evaluation by the E test and a broth microdilution methodJochen Abb
Institute of Microbiology, Klinikum Ludwigsburg, Posilipostrasse 4, D 71640, Ludwigsburg, Germany
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 43:319-21. 2002..6 percent) were resistant to the topical agent mupirocin. Linezolid and quinupristin-dalfopristin may prove useful alternatives for the treatment of patients with MRSA ..
- Decolonization of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus using oral vancomycin and topical mupirocinB Maraha
Department of Medical Microbiology, St Elisabeth Hospital, PO Box 747, 5000 AS Tilburg, The Netherlands
Clin Microbiol Infect 8:671-5. 2002..of this study was to assess the efficacy and safety of a short course of oral vancomycin and intranasal mupirocin ointment in the eradication of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) colonization...
- Survey of high- and low-level mupirocin-resistant strains of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in 15 Japanese hospitalsShigeru Fujimura
Department of Microbiology, Miyagi University, Miyagi, Japan
Chemotherapy 49:36-8. 2003The extent of mupirocin-resistant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in countries using mupirocin only for the eradication of nasal carriage of MRSA is unknown.
- Characterization of the mupirocin biosynthesis gene cluster from Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586A Kassem El-Sayed
School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, United Kingdom
Chem Biol 10:419-30. 2003The polyketide antibiotic mupirocin (pseudomonic acid) produced by Pseudomonas fluorescens NCIMB 10586 competitively inhibits bacterial isoleucyl-tRNA synthase and is useful in controlling Staphylococcus aureus, particularly methicillin-..
- Antimicrobial Lipids within the Oral CavityPHILIP WESLEY WERTZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..ethanol and is capable of killing an isolate of Staphylococcus aureus that is resistant to both methicillin and mupirocin. The proposed studies are designed to better develop our understanding and ability to exploit these natural ..
- Project CLEAR - Changing Lives by Eradicating Antibiotic ResistanceSusan S Huang; Fiscal Year: 2012..We hypothesize that serial decolonization of MRSA carriers with nasal mupirocin, oral chlorhexidine rinses, and chlorhexidine body wash will significantly reduce inpatient and outpatient MRSA ..
- Decreasing Bioburden to Reduce Healthcare-Associated Infections and ReadmissionsSusan S Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..care units (ICUs) indicate that decolonization of patients'skin with chlorhexidine, and nares with mupirocin can prevent many HAIs...
- Nitric Oxide-Releasing Intranasal Gel To Decolonize Biofilm-embedded S. AureusSUSANNE BAUMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..The only FDA-approved treatment for nasal decolonization of S. aureus is 2% mupirocin. Clinical studies have shown that nasal decolonization decreases the number of infections contracted by S...
- EPIDEMIOLOGY AND ERADICATION OF MRSA IN HOUSEHOLDS WITH CHILDRENSTEPHANIE ANN FRITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..into an intervention study to compare the effectiveness of decolonization measures (application of nasal mupirocin and dilute bleach water baths) in preventing recurrent SSTI when these measures are performed by all household ..
- Epicenters III: Translational Research to Prevent Healthcare Associated InfectionRichard Platt; Fiscal Year: 2013..2) We will assess the potential utility of retapamulin for topical decolonization when mupirocin resistance makes the latter agent unusable...
- Staphylococcus aureus resistance to topical antimicrobial agents in childrenJONATHON CHASE MCNEIL; Fiscal Year: 2013..aureus bacteremia as well as other forms of invasive disease. Mupirocin is a topical antibiotic used for treatment of superficial skin-and-soft-tissue infections (SSTI) due to gram-..
- A Randomized Clinical Trial to Prevent Recurrent CA-MRASA InfectionLoren Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..trial, all subjects will be randomized in a 2 x 2 design to test: 1) chlorhexidine body washes plus nasal mupirocin ointment vs. usual care, and 2) environmental cleansing with ethanol spray and aggressive laundering vs...
- Implementation and Effectiveness of a S. aureus Surgical Site Infection PreventioLoreen A Herwaldt; Fiscal Year: 2013..hospitals can use to facilitate bundle implementation;4) Determine whether the bundle increases the number of mupirocin-resistant or CHG-resistant S. aureus isolates...
- Hospital-Acquired Mupirocin-Resistant MRSA in Post-Partum Women and NewbornsSHARON BETH BRODIE WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2013..Resistance to mupirocin was noted in a large proportion of isolates during the outbreak, which was an unusual and unexpected finding...
- Human Microbiome and Healthcare Associated InfectionsMary Claire Roghmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..A recent meta-analysis reported that decolonization with intranasal mupirocin, a Gram-positive antimicrobial agent, increases the risk of infections due to organisms other than S...
- Impact of MRSA Decolonization Therapy on MRSA Infection and TransmissionArch G Mainous; Fiscal Year: 2012..By using both randomization and a double-blind, placebo-control for mupirocin decolonization we are better assured that any differences between the two groups can be attributed to the ..
- Metagenomic Studies of MRSA ColonizationMary Claire Roghmann; Fiscal Year: 2013..A recent Cochrane meta-analysis showed that decolonization with intranasal mupirocin, a Gram-positive antimicrobial agent, increases the risk of infections due to organisms other than S...
- NASAL COLONIZATION BY S AUREUS--MECHANISMS AND IMMUNITYJean Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..Attenuation of carriage with the antibiotic mupirocin has been shown to reduce the prevalence of infection in certain high-risk groups...
- THE CLOUD ADULTRobert Sherertz; Fiscal Year: 2003..aureus in the nose and using topical mupirocin to reduce the number of S.aureus in the nose. Specific Aim 3 will determine the prevalence of single nasal S...
- Nisin-based topical formulation for treatment of anthraxJohn Kokai Kun; Fiscal Year: 2003..The final product is intended to minimize the danger for those exposed to B. anthracis and should also be effective for disinfection of other bioterrorism agents and for nosocomial pathogens in the healthcare setting. ..
- THE SIGNIFICANCE OF FUNGURIA IN HOSPITALIZED PATIENTSLoren Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Antiretroviral Therapy of AIDS-Related Kaposi's Sarcoma in AfricaJeffrey Martin; Fiscal Year: 2009..Findings from this work will both help to inform clinical care of patients with AIDS-related KS in Africa and provide biological insights into the effect of antiretroviral therapy on underlying KSHV infection. ..
- Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetic NephropathyRajnish Mehrotra; Fiscal Year: 2008..The applicant has institutional support and a career development plan including obtaining a Masters in Clinical Investigation, to achieve his career goals. ..
- Susceptibility Testing, Treatment Choices, and Outcomes of MDR-GNB InfectionsLisa Saiman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Carefully conducted observational studies and clinically relevant in vitro antimicrobial susceptibility testing, hold the greatest promise to improve the treatment of patients infected with mutidrug-resistant organisms. ..
- HEMODIALYSIS VASCULAR ACCESS CLINICAL TRIALS CONSORTIUMMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2007..The primary endpoint will be fistula thrombosis within 6 weeks, and the secondary endpoint will be the ability to use the fistula successfully for dialysis within 6 months. ..
- Vascular Access in Hemodialysis PatientsMichael Allon; Fiscal Year: 2005..The applicant will assist the trainees in acquiring the conceptual skills, research experience, and motivation required to pursue a successful career in Academic Nephrology. ..
- Device use in Nursing Homes: Reducing Risk of InfectionLona Mody; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..