Genomes and Genes
Summary: A colorless liquid with a fragrant odor. It is used as an intermediate, solvent and in cosmetics.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Heptanol triggers cardioprotection via mitochondrial mechanisms and mitochondrial potassium channel opening in rat heartsD Johansen
Cardiovascular Research Group, Department of Medical Biology and Department of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Tromsø, Tromsø, Norway
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 201:435-44. 2011To investigate mechanisms behind heptanol (Hp)-induced infarct size reduction and in particular if protection by pre-treatment with Hp is triggered through mitochondrial mechanisms.
- Gap junction uncoupler heptanol prevents cell-to-cell progression of hypercontracture and limits necrosis during myocardial reperfusionD Garcia-Dorado
Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital General Universitari Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Circulation 96:3579-86. 1997....
- Gating properties of gap junction channels assembled from connexin43 and connexin43 fused with green fluorescent proteinF F Bukauskas
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Biophys J 81:137-52. 2001..This result indicates that the fast V(j) gate of Cx43 hemichannels closes for relative negativity at its cytoplasmic end...
- Junctional and nonjunctional effects of heptanol and glycyrrhetinic acid derivates in rat mesenteric small arteriesVladimir V Matchkov
Department of Physiology, The Water and Salt Research Center, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Br J Pharmacol 142:961-72. 20041 Heptanol, 18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid (18alphaGA) and 18beta-glycyrrhetinic acid (18betaGA) are known blockers of gap junctions, and are often used in vascular studies...
- Inhibitors of gap junctions attenuate myogenic tone in cerebral arteriesGuy Lagaud
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 283:H2177-86. 2002..tone (10 nM, at 20 mmHg), and depolarizing solution-induced tone (80 mM K(+), at 20 mmHg) to inhibition by heptanol (1.0 microM to 3.0 mM) or 18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid (18alpha-GA, 1.0 to 50 microM) were determined...
- Quantal evoked depolarizations underlying the excitatory junction potential of the guinea-pig isolated vas deferensR Manchanda
School of Biomedical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Powai, Mumbai 400 076, India
J Physiol 520:527-37. 19991. The effects of a putative gap junction uncoupling agent, heptanol, on the intracellularly recorded junction potentials of the guinea-pig isolated vas deferens have been investigated. 2...
- Increased connexin43-mediated intercellular communication in a rat model of bladder overactivity in vivoGeorge J Christ
Departments of Urology and Physiology and Biophysics, Institute for Smooth Muscle Biology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1241-8. 2003..The amplitude of these contractions was significantly reduced by heptanol given intravesically...
- Effects of heptanol on neurogenic contractions of vas deferens: A comparative study of stimulation frequency in guinea pig and ratD Palani
Biomedical Engineering Group, School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, 400076, India
J Physiol Sci 56:21-8. 2006..Toward this end the effects of heptanol, a gap junctional blocker, on the neurogenic contractions of guinea pig and rat vas deferens at different ..
- Effect of xyloglucan (tamarind seed polysaccharide) on conjunctival cell adhesion to laminin and on corneal epithelium wound healingS Burgalassi
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics, University of Pisa, Italy
Eur J Ophthalmol 10:71-6. 2000..To explore the role of a natural polysaccharide extracted from tamarind seed (xyloglucan, or tamarind seed polysaccharide, TSP) on the integrin-substrate recognition system and on repair of corneal wounds...
- Effect of retinol palmitate eye drops on experimental keratoconjunctival epithelial damage induced by n-heptanol in rabbitHiroshi Toshida
Department of Ophthalmology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo, Japan
Curr Eye Res 33:13-8. 2008..To investigate ability of vitamin A (VA, retinol palmitate) to promote wound healing after injury in rabbit eye...
- The gap junction uncoupler heptanol abrogates infarct size reduction with preconditioning in mouse heartsGuohu Li
Heart Institute Research, Good Samaritan Hospital and Section of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, University of Southern California, 1225 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90017 2395, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 11:158-65. 2002....
- Further evidence for the selective disruption of intercellular communication by heptanolG J Christ
Laboratory of Molecular and Integrative Urology, Department of Urology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Am J Physiol 276:H1911-7. 1999..Thus we further explored the utility and selectivity of heptanol as a gap junctional uncoupling agent in isolated rat aortic rings...
- Regional gap junction inhibition increases defibrillation thresholdsJ Jason Sims
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H10-6. 2003..5 mM/h heptanol (n = 8) or saline (n = 8)...
- RXP-E: a connexin43-binding peptide that prevents action potential propagation blockRebecca Lewandowski
Departments of Pharmacology, State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, USA
Circ Res 103:519-26. 2008..Patch-clamp studies revealed that RXP-E prevented heptanol-induced and acidification-induced uncoupling in pairs of neonatal rat ventricular myocytes...
- Blockade of brain stem gap junctions increases phrenic burst frequency and reduces phrenic burst synchronization in adult ratIrene C Solomon
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York, Stony Brook 11794 8661, USA
J Neurophysiol 89:135-49. 2003..acid (25-100 microM), 18beta-glycyrrhetinic acid (25-100 microM), octanol (200-300 microM), or heptanol (200 microM)...
- Activation of connexin-43 hemichannels can elevate [Ca(2+)]i and [Na(+)]i in rabbit ventricular myocytes during metabolic inhibitionF Li
Cardiology Division, University of Utah School of Medicine, 50 N Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, Utah 84132, USA
J Mol Cell Cardiol 33:2145-55. 2001..1-heptanol, another gap junction blocker, had similar effects...
- Dual functions for connexins: Cx43 regulates growth independently of gap junction formationC Moorby
Centre for Mechanisms of Human Toxicity, University of Leicester, Hodgkin Building, Leicester, LE1 9HN, United Kingdom
Exp Cell Res 271:238-48. 2001....
- Carbenoxolone and mefloquine suppress tremor in the harmaline mouse model of essential tremorFredricka C Martin
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System, Los Angeles, California, USA
Mov Disord 21:1641-9. 2006..Because synchrony in some networks is mediated by gap junctions, we examined whether the gap junction blockers heptanol, octanol, carbenoxolone, and mefloquine suppress tremor in the mouse harmaline model, and performed an open-..
- Coordination of mesangial cell contraction by gap junction--mediated intercellular Ca(2+) waveJian Yao
Department of Cellular Physiology, Institute of Nephrology, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
J Am Soc Nephrol 13:2018-26. 2002..of a single MC initiated propagation of an intercellular Ca(2+) wave, which was preventable by the GJ inhibitor heptanol but was not altered by pretreatment of MC with ATP or addition of apyrase into the assay system...
- Behavior of ectopic surface: effects of beta-adrenergic stimulation and uncouplingAra Arutunyan
Physiology Department, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, 3601 4th St, Lubbock TX 79430, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 285:H2531-42. 2003..have been created by local perfusion of a small area of cardiomyocyte network (I-zone) with an isoproterenol-heptanol containing solution...
- Vascular regulation of type II cell exocytosisP M Wang
Department of Medicine, College of Physicians and Surgeons and St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, Columbia University, New York, New York 10019, USA
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 282:L912-6. 2002..with either 1,2-bis(2-aminophenoxy)ethane-N,N,N',N'-tetraacetic acid-AM, the intracellular Ca(2+) chelator, or heptanol, the gap junctional blocker, the pressure-induced exocytosis was completely inhibited...
- Spiral wave generation in heterogeneous excitable mediaGil Bub
Department of Physiology, McGill University, 3655 Drummond Street, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1Y6
Phys Rev Lett 88:058101. 2002..Following the addition of heptanol, an agent that reduces the electrical coupling between cells, we observe breakup of spiral waves...
- Functional hemichannels in astrocytes: a novel mechanism of glutamate releaseZu Cheng Ye
Department of Neurology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98195 6465, USA
J Neurosci 23:3588-96. 2003..cations (Ca2+, Ba2+, Sr2+, Mg2+, and La3+) and by gap junction blocking agents (carbenoxolone, octanol, heptanol, flufenamic acid, and 18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid) with affinities close to those reported for blockade of gap ..
- Requirement of gap junctional intercellular communication for human villous trophoblast differentiationLaurent Cronier
Laboratoire de Biomembranes et Signalisation Cellulaire, Universite de Poitiers, 86022 Poitiers Cedex, France
Biol Reprod 69:1472-80. 2003..role in the control of cell and tissue differentiation, we studied the effects of a gap junctional uncoupler, heptanol, on morphological and functional trophoblast differentiation and on GJIC measured by the fluorescence recovery ..
- Effect of heptanol on noradrenaline-induced contractions in rat vas deferensD Palani
Biomedical Engineering Group, School of Bioscience and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400076, India
J Smooth Muscle Res 42:49-61. 2006We have studied the effects of 1-heptanol and nifedipine on noradrenaline (NA)-induced contractions in order to explore the role of gap junctions and their interactions with L-type Ca2+ channel mediated [Ca2+]o entry in the generation of ..
- Effect of gap junction uncoupler heptanol on resistance arteries reactivity in experimental models of diabetes, hyperlipemia and hyperlipemia-diabetesAdriana Georgescu
Institute of Cellular Biology and Pathology Nicolae Simionescu, Bucharest, Romania
Vascul Pharmacol 44:513-8. 2006..reactivity of the resistance arteries was measured by the myograph technique in the presence/absence of 1 mM Heptanol (Hep) and of vasoconstrictors and vasodilators...
- Pathophysiological basis for monitoring of whole heart conductance by 2-lead systemYuichiro Yasuda
Department of Biosystemic Science and Medicine, Kyushu University, Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kasuga, Fukuoka, Japan
Circ J 70:495-501. 2006..The defibrillation threshold (DFT) is elevated during myocardial ischemia, but the underlying mechanism remains to be elucidated. The hypothesis tested by the present study was that whole heart conductance (WHC) is a determinant of DFT...
- Gap junction-mediated intercellular communication between dendritic cells (DCs) is required for effective activation of DCsHiroyuki Matsue
Department of Dermatology, University of Yamanashi, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Medicine and Engineering Tamaho, Yamanashi, Japan
J Immunol 176:181-90. 2006..assessed by CD40 expression) was observed when there was cell-to-cell contact and was significantly blocked by heptanol, a gap junction blocker...
- Isolated primary osteocytes express functional gap junctions in vitroGuoliang Gu
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Turku, Turku 20520, Finland
Cell Tissue Res 323:263-71. 2006..b>Heptanol and 18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid inhibited the transfer of Lucifer yellow...
- Delayed uncoupling contributes to the protective effect of heptanol against ischaemia in the rat isolated heartBao Ping Chen
Department of Physiology, Zhejiang University School of Medicine, Hangzhou, China
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 32:655-62. 20051. It is known that infusion of the gap junction uncoupler heptanol, before ischaemia or during reperfusion, limits myocardial infarct size...
- The effect of extracellular calcium concentration on calcium-mediated cell signaling in NF1 tumor suppressor-deficient keratinocytesTimo Korkiamäki
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Oulu, PB 5000, 90014, Finland
Arch Dermatol Res 296:465-72. 2005....
- Insulin-like growth factor-I induces oocyte maturational competence but not meiotic resumption in white bass (Morone chrysops) follicles in vitro: evidence for rapid evolution of insulin-like growth factor actionGregory M Weber
National Center for Cool and Cold Water Aquaculture, ARS, USDA, Kearneysville, West Virginia 25430, USA
Biol Reprod 72:1177-86. 2005..Gap junction uncouplers, 1-octanol and 1-heptanol, and the phosphatidylinositiol 3-kinase (PI 3-K) inhibitors, wortmannin and LY 294002, attenuated hCG-, 20beta-S-,..
- Endocochlear potential and endolymphatic K+ changes induced by gap junction blockersMasaaki Suzuki
Department of Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Acta Otolaryngol 124:902-6. 2004..To examine the effects of gap junction blockers on the endocochlear potential (EP) and endolymphatic potassium concentration ([K(+)](e))...
- Electron microprobe analysis of rabbit ciliary epithelium indicates enhanced secretion posteriorly and enhanced absorption anteriorlyCharles W McLaughlin
Department of Physiology, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C1455-66. 2007..Following interruption of gap junctions with heptanol, ouabain produced smaller changes in anterior PE cells, possibly reflecting higher Na(+) or K(+) permeability of ..
- Enhanced effect of gap junction uncouplers on macroscopic electrical properties of reperfused myocardiumAntonio Rodriguez-Sinovas
Laboratorio de Investigación Cardiovascular, Servicio de Cadiología, Hospitals Vall d Hebron, Pg Vall d Hebron 119 129, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
J Physiol 559:245-57. 2004Transient inhibition of gap junction (GJ)-mediated communication with heptanol during myocardial reperfusion limits infarct size. However, inhibition of cell coupling in normal myocardium may be arrhythmogenic...
- Inhibitory effect of gap junction blockers on cerebral vasospasmTao Hong
Department of Neurosurgery, The First Affiliated Hospital of Nanchang University, Nanchang, Jiangxi, China
J Neurosurg 108:551-7. 2008..The aims of the present study were to investigate the role of gap junctions and to observe the potential therapeutic efficacy of gap junction blockers in cerebral vasospasm in vitro and in vivo...
- Aberrant cell-to-cell coupling in Ca2+-overloaded guinea pig ventricular musclesNagomi Kurebayashi
Department of Pharmacology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 294:C1419-29. 2008..Similar lags were also observed in muscles with gap junction channels inhibited by heptanol. To investigate whether the phosphorylation state of Cx43 is affected in Ca2+-overloaded muscles, the ..
- Electron microprobe analysis of ouabain-exposed ciliary epithelium: PE-NPE cell couplets form the functional unitsCharles W McLaughlin
Department of Physiology, University of Otago Medical School, Dunedin, New Zealand
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 286:C1376-89. 2004..Electrical measurements suggest that heptanol reduces transepithelial ion movement by interrupting PE-NPE communication and that gap junctions may be a ..
- The metabolic inhibitor antimycin A can disrupt cell-to-cell communication by an ATP- and Ca(2+)-independent mechanismIsabelle Plaisance
Communications Jonctionnelles, UMR CNRS 6558, Faculté de Sciences Fondamentales et Appliquées, Universite de Poitiers, 40 avenue du R Pineau, 86022 Poitiers, France
Pflugers Arch 447:181-94. 2003..Antimycin A appears able to cause junctional uncoupling either through the ATP depletion it induces as a metabolic poison or via a direct action on gap junction constituents...
- Gap junction blockers decrease defibrillation thresholds without changes in ventricular refractoriness in isolated rabbit heartsX Qi
Department of Medicine, St Michael's Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada
Circulation 104:1544-9. 2001..volts) were obtained before and 15 minutes after 4 micromol/L 16-doxyl-stearic acid (16-DSA, n=8), 1 mmol/L 1-heptanol (n=12) (both gap junction blockers), 3 microg/mL lidocaine (a sodium channel blocker) (n=8), and respective ..
- Intercellular communication in spinal cord astrocytes: fine tuning between gap junctions and P2 nucleotide receptors in calcium wave propagationE Scemes
Department of Neuroscience, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Neurosci 20:1435-45. 2000..Intercellular communication via calcium waves therefore is sustained in Cx43 null mice by a finely tuned interaction between gap junction-dependent and independent mechanisms...
- Role of mesangial cells and gap junctions in tubuloglomerular feedbackYiLin Ren
Division of Hypertension and Vascular Research, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, Michigan 48202 2689, USA
Kidney Int 62:525-31. 2002..They are electrically and chemically coupled via gap junctions. The purpose of this study was to investigate the role of mesangial cells and gap junctions in TGF using the isolated, perfused juxtaglomerular apparatus...
- Localized injury in cardiomyocyte network: a new experimental model of ischemia-reperfusion arrhythmiasA Arutunyan
Department of Physiology, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas 79430, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 280:H1905-15. 2001..Inclusion of a gap junction uncoupler (1 mM heptanol) in the injury solution narrowed the functional border and sharply increased the number of ectopic foci and the ..
- Pretreatment with the gap junction uncoupler heptanol does not limit infarct size in rabbit heartA Gysembergh
Heart Institute/Research, Good Samaritan Hospital and Department of Medicine, Section of Cardiology, University of Southern California, 1225 Wilshire Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90017-2395, USA
Cardiovasc Pathol 10:13-7. 2001Previous findings indicate that heptanol, an agent well-recognized to disrupt chemical signaling between myocytes by uncoupling of gap junctions, significantly limited infarct size when administered at the time of reperfusion...
- Involvement of connexin 43 in meiotic maturation of bovine oocytesC Vozzi
Reproductive Medicine Unit, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, CHUV-1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Reproduction 122:619-28. 2001..In the presence of 1-heptanol (3 mmol l(-1)) or octanol (3.0 mmol l(-1) and 0.3 mmol l(-1)), only 29% of the COCs reached metaphase II...
- Olfactory sensitivity for aliphatic alcohols in squirrel monkeys and pigtail macaquesMatthias Laska
Department of Medical Psychology, University of Munich Medical School, Goethestrasse 31, D 80336 Munich, Germany
J Exp Biol 205:1633-43. 2002..Further, our findings suggest that olfaction may play an important and hitherto underestimated role in the regulation of behaviour in the species tested...
- Aging-related increase to inducible atrial fibrillation in the rat modelHideki Hayashi
Department of Medicine, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90048, USA
J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 13:801-8. 2002..We hypothesized that aged rats are suitable for study of aging-related AF and that partial atrial cellular uncoupling induced with heptanol in young rats mimics aging-related AF.
- In situ Ca2+ imaging of odor responses in a coronal olfactory epithelium sliceMasayo Omura
Department of Integrated Biosciences, University of Tokyo, Chiba 277 8562, Japan
Neuroreport 14:1123-7. 2003..The methodology established in this study is a powerful tool to visualize spatial distributions of odorant responsive neurons at a cellular resolution, and to construct odor maps in a coronal view of the olfactory epithelium...
- Albumin-bound lipids induce free cytoplasmic calcium oscillations in human osteoblast-like cellsJon A Tsai
CLINTEC, Division of Surgery, Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Karolinska University Hospital and Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Biochem Funct 25:245-9. 2007..These [Ca(2+)](i) oscillations were inhibited by heptanol and suramin, which implies that gap junctions and purinergic signalling may be important for these [Ca(2+)](i) ..
- The hyperfluidization of mammalian cell membranes acts as a signal to initiate the heat shock protein responseGabor Balogh
Institute of Biochemistry, Biological Research Centre, Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Szeged, Hungary
FEBS J 272:6077-86. 2005The concentrations of two structurally distinct membrane fluidizers, the local anesthetic benzyl alcohol (BA) and heptanol (HE), were used at concentrations so that their addition to K562 cells caused identical increases in the level of ..
- Structural calorimetry of main transition of supported DMPC bilayers by temperature-controlled AFMO Enders
Institute of Biophysics, University Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Biophys J 87:2522-31. 2004..The lipid organization and the corresponding parameters T0 and DeltaHvH (DeltaH) were modulated by heptanol or external Ca2+ and compared with physiological findings...
- Coupling between sensory neurons in the olfactory epitheliumRona J Delay
Department of Biology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Chem Senses 28:807-15. 2003..Electrical coupling by presumptive gap junctions was assessed using electrophysiological recordings, heptanol block, tracer-uptake through hemi-junctions, and tracer-injection into tissue whole-mounts...
- Effects of heptanol and carbenoxolone on noradrenaline induced contractions in guinea pig vas deferensD Palani
Biomedical Engineering Group, School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai 400076, India
Auton Neurosci 137:56-62. 2007We examined the effects of two putative gap junction blockers, heptanol and carbenoxolone, on noradrenaline-induced contractions in guinea pig vas deferens...
- Heterologous expression of the alcohol dehydrogenase (adhI) gene from Geobacillus thermoglucosidasius strain M10EXGYoung Jae Jeon
School of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences, University of New South Wales, Sydney 2052, Australia
J Biotechnol 135:127-33. 2008..The recombinant E. coli showed enzymatic activity towards ethanol, 1-butanol, 1-pentanol, 1-heptanol, 1-hexanol, 1-octanol and 2-propanol, but not methanol...
- Molecular cloning and functional expression of human connexin37, an endothelial cell gap junction proteinK E Reed
Department of Pediatrics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110
J Clin Invest 91:997-1004. 1993..These channels were reversibly inhibited by the uncoupling agent, heptanol (2 mM)...
- Miscibility and interaction between 1-alkanol and short-chain phosphocholine in the adsorbed film and micellesYuichi Takajo
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Kyushu University, 4 2 1 Ropponmatsu, Chuo Ku, 810 8560 Fukuoka, Japan
Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 59:52-8. 2007The miscibility and interaction of 1-hexanol (C6OH) and 1-heptanol (C7OH) with 1,2-dihexanoyl-sn-glycero-3-phosphocholine (DHPC) in the adsorbed films and micelles were investigated by measuring the surface tension of aqueous C6OH-DHPC ..
- Continuous synthesis of alkyl ferulate by immobilized Candida antarctica lipase at high temperatureYayoi Yoshida
Division of Food Science and Biotechnology, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Biotechnol Lett 28:1471-4. 2006..Conversions greater than 0.9 were achieved for the synthesis of the 1-hexyl and 1-heptyl ferulates at 90 degrees C. The system could be stably operated for the 1-heptyl ferulate synthesis at 90 degrees C for at least two weeks...
- Lipase catalyse glycerolysis for kinetic resolution of racematesC Dlugy
Green Processes Center, Chemical Engineering Department, Sami Shamoon College of Engineering, Bialik Basel Sts, Beer Sheva, 84100, Israel
Bioprocess Biosyst Eng 30:327-30. 2007..High conversions and enantioselectivities were achieved and the product was easily separated by simple extraction with diethyl ether...
- Activity of essential oils and individual components against acetyl- and butyrylcholinesteraseIlkay Orhan
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, 06330 Ankara, Turkey
Z Naturforsch C 63:547-53. 2008..4-isopropyl benzaldehyde, trans-anethole, camphene, iso-borneol, (-)-borneol, L-bornyl acetate, 2-decanol, 2-heptanol, methyl-heptanol, farnesol, nerol, iso-pulegol, 1,8-cineole, citral, citronellal, citronellol, geraniol, linalool,..
- The role of myoendothelial cell contact in non-nitric oxide-, non-prostanoid-mediated endothelium-dependent relaxation of porcine coronary arteryE Kühberger
Institu Für Pharmakologie and Toxikologie, Universitat Graz, Austria
Br J Pharmacol 113:1289-94. 1994..with hypertonic solution containing D-mannitol or sucrose (each 180 mM) or the gap junctional uncoupling agent 1-heptanol (2 mM)...
- Behavioral and electrophysiological responses of Triatoma brasiliensis males to volatiles produced in the metasternal glands of femalesAna C R Vitta
Laboratório de Triatomíneos e Epidemiologia da Doença de Chagas, Centro de Pesquisas Rene Rachou Fiocruz, 30 190 002, Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil
J Chem Ecol 35:1212-21. 2009..The most abundant compounds identified were 3-pentanone, followed by (4R)-methyl-1-heptanol, 3-pentanol, and (2S)-methyl-1-butanol...
- Psoriasis and altered calcium metabolism: downregulated capacitative calcium influx and defective calcium-mediated cell signaling in cultured psoriatic keratinocytesS L Karvonen
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Invest Dermatol 114:693-700. 2000..Blocking of gap-junctions with heptanol in wounded keratinocytes did not affect the intracellular calcium response in psoriatic keratinocytes in contrast ..
- Gap junctions equalize intracellular Na+ concentration in astrocytesC R Rose
Department of Neurology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520, USA
Glia 20:299-307. 1997..Qualitatively similar results were obtained with two other uncoupling agents, heptanol and alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid (AGA)...
- Mechanisms of inhibition of CaV3.1 T-type calcium current by aliphatic alcoholsVeit Simon Eckle
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908 0710, USA
Neuropharmacology 59:58-69. 2010..Octanol, 1-heptanol (heptanol) and 1-hexanol (hexanol) inhibited the recombinant Ca(V)3...
- The alkyl chain dependence of the effect of normal alcohols on agonist-induced nicotinic acetylcholine receptor desensitization kineticsD E Raines
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Anesthesiology 91:222-30. 1999..This study was designed to investigate the effects of representative normal alcohols on the apparent rate of acetylcholine-induced nAcChoR desensitization...
- Ca2+ mobilization and interlayer signal transfer in the heterocellular bilayered epithelium of the rabbit ciliary bodyM Schutte
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Physiol 496:25-37. 1996..6. Addition of heptanol to the perfusate, to block gap-junctional communication, caused a small [Ca2+]i decrease in the NPE and a slight ..
- Vasomotion in human umbilical and placental veins: role of gap junctions and intracellular calcium reservoirs in their synchronous propagationDiego Nicolás García-Huidobro
Centro de Regulacion Celular y Patologia J V Luco, Instituto Investigación Fundamental y Aplicada, MIFAB, Departamento de Fisiologia, Unidad de Regulación Neurohumoral, P Universidad Catolica de Chile, Santiago 1 6513492, Chile
Placenta 28:328-38. 2007..Gap junction blockers, including peptide Gap 27, 18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid, hexanol, heptanol or octanol, reduced the amplitude but not the frequency of vasomotion; all these drugs, in addition, decreased ..
- IBMX-elicited inhibition of water permeability in the isolated rabbit conjunctival epitheliumOscar A Candia
Department of Ophthalmology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Exp Eye Res 86:480-91. 2008..Putatively, agents such as heptanol, by also fluidizing the bilayer, may have changed the conformation of a water channel in a manner preventing down-..
- Pretreatment with D-myo-inositol trisphosphate reduces infarct size in rabbit hearts: role of inositol trisphosphate receptors and gap junctions in triggering protectionKarin Przyklenk
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, 01655, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 314:1386-92. 2005..of gap junctions/hemichannels, additional control and D-myo-IP(3)-treated cohorts received a 5-min infusion of heptanol or Gap 27, two structurally distinct gap junction inhibitors, administered at doses confirmed to attenuate ..
- Chiral expression at the solid-liquid interface: a joint experimental and theoretical study of the self-assembly of chiral porphyrins on graphiteMathieu Linares
Service de Chimie des Materiaux Nouveaux, Universite de Mons Hainaut, 20, Place du Parc, B 7000 Mons, Belgium
Langmuir 24:9566-74. 2008..Scanning tunneling microscopy (STM) images of the compound at the graphite-heptanol interface reveal a chiral arrangement of the molecules, with the porphyrin rows tilted by 13 degrees with respect ..
- General anesthetic octanol and related compounds activate wild-type and delF508 cystic fibrosis chloride channelsBrice Marcet
Institut de Neurosciences Physiologiques et Cognitives, INPC CNRS, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille, Cedex 20, France
Br J Pharmacol 141:905-14. 2004..5. n-Alkanols chain length was an important determinant for channel activation, with rank order of potencies: 1-heptanol<1-octanol<2-octanol<1-decanol...
- Gap junctional communication in the vibration-sensitive response of sea anemonesP Mire
Department of Biology, The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, 70504 2451, Lafayette, LA, USA
Hear Res 144:109-23. 2000..vibration-dependent nematocyst discharge is selectively and reversibly blocked by the gap junction uncouplers, heptanol and arachidonic acid...
- The nature of the hydrophobic n-alkanol binding site within the C1 domains of protein kinase CalphaSimon J Slater
Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Biochemistry 43:7601-9. 2004..ester or diacylglycerol, 1-octanol potently activated PKCalpha in a concentration-dependent manner, while 1-heptanol was completely without effect, despite differing by one methylene unit...
- Mechanical strain-induced Ca(2+) waves are propagated via ATP release and purinergic receptor activationH Sauer
Department of Neurophysiology, University of Cologne, Germany
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 279:C295-307. 2000..because cytochalasin B and nocodazole, which disrupt microfilaments and microtubules, respectively, and 1-heptanol, which uncouples gap junctions, were without effects...
- Delta-opioid receptor activation before ischemia reduces gap junction permeability in ischemic myocardium by PKC-epsilon-mediated phosphorylation of connexin 43Tetsuji Miura
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1 West 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 293:H1425-31. 2007..Infusion of a GJ blocker, heptanol, before reperfusion reduced infarct size by 36%, and this protection was not enhanced by preischemic infusion of ..
- Stimulation of corneal epithelial migration by a synthetic peptide (PHSRN) corresponding to the second cell-binding site of fibronectinKazuhiro Kimura
Department of Ocular Pathophysiology, Yamaguchi University Graduate School of Medicine, Ube, Yamaguchi, Japan
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 48:1110-8. 2007..The authors examined the effects of a PHSRN peptide on corneal epithelial migration in vitro and in vivo...
- Activation and inhibition of the transduction process in silkmoth olfactory receptor neuronsBlanka Pophof
Max Planck Institut für Verhaltensphysiologie, Seewiesen, D 82305 Starnberg, Germany
Chem Senses 27:435-43. 2002..g. on the pheromone receptor molecules. General odorants, such as (+/-)-linalool and 1-heptanol, excite olfactory receptor neurons in females, but inhibit the pheromone-sensitive neurons in males...
- Gap junctions are required for trophoblast proliferation in early human placental developmentT Nishimura
Samuel Lunenfeld Research Institute, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Placenta 25:595-607. 2004..of GJIC in EVT cell proliferation and differentiation using two known GJIC inhibitors, carbenoxolone (CBX) and heptanol. The morphology of EVT outgrowths changed dramatically upon GJIC-blockade, from compact and organized outgrowths ..
- An endothelium-derived hyperpolarizing factor distinct from NO and prostacyclin is a major endothelium-dependent vasodilator in resistance vessels of wild-type and endothelial NO synthase knockout miceR P Brandes
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, Klinikum der J W Goethe Universitat, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:9747-52. 2000..Gap junction inhibitors (18alpha-glycyrrhetinic acid, octanol, heptanol) and CB-1 cannabinoid-receptor agonists (Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol, HU210) impaired EDHF-mediated ..
- Repellent activity of alligator pepper, Aframomum melegueta, and ginger, Zingiber officinale, against the maize weevil, Sitophilus zeamaisDonald A Ukeh
School of Biological Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Phytochemistry 70:751-8. 2009..melegueta and Z. officinale to be (S)-2-heptanol, (S)-2-heptyl acetate and (R)-linalool in a ratio of 1:6:3, and 1,8-cineole, neral and geranial in a ratio of 5...
- Pharmacological properties of a pore induced by raising intracellular Ca2+R X Faria
Laboratory of Cellular Communication, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, FIOCRUZ, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro Av Brasil, 4365 Manguinhos 21045 900, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 297:C28-42. 2009..Connexin hemichannel inhibitors (carbenoxolone and heptanol) also did not inhibit the pore-induced effect following the increase in intracellular Ca(2+) concentration...
- Response of thyroid follicular cells to gamma irradiation compared to proton irradiation: II. The role of connexin 32L M Green
Radiobiology Program, Department of Radiation Medicine, Loma Linda University, California 92354, USA
Radiat Res 158:475-85. 2002..way to determine whether connexin 32 was contributing to the difference in survival, cultures were treated with heptanol, resulting in higher alpha values, with early-passage cultures (0...
- Bronchoalveolar lavage examined by solid phase microextraction, gas chromatography--mass spectrometry and selected ion flow tube mass spectrometryJaroslav Julák
Institute of Immunology and Microbiology, The First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Studnickova 7, 128 08 Praha 2, Czech Republic
J Microbiol Methods 65:76-86. 2006..Other compounds, namely the heptanol and cyclohexanone, were also detected by this method in some samples...
- Connexin43 in cardiomyocyte mitochondria contributes to mitochondrial potassium uptakeElisabet Miro-Casas
Servicio de Cardiologia, Hospital Universitari Vall d Hebron, Pg Vall d Hebron 119, Barcelona 08035, Spain
Cardiovasc Res 83:747-56. 2009..Connexin43 is present at the inner membrane of cardiomyocyte mitochondria (mCx43), but its function remains unknown...
- Molecular interactions in alcohol-ethyl methacrylate mixturesK Dharmalingam
Department of Science and Humanities, Karunya University, Karunya Nagar 641 114, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 69:467-70. 2008Molecular interaction between alcohols (1-propanol, 1-butanol, s-butanol, t-butanol, 1-pentanol, 1-heptanol, 1-octanol and 1-decanol) with ethyl methacrylate has been studied in n-heptane, CCl(4) and benzene at 298K using FTIR ..
- Gap junctional communication in human osteoclasts in vitro and in vivoA F Schilling
Department of Trauma, Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Center for iomechanics and Skeletal Biology, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
J Cell Mol Med 12:2497-504. 2008..For the assessment of the effect of gap junction inhibition on cell fusion, gap junctions were blocked with heptanol during differentiation of the cells and the cells were then evaluated for multinuclearity...
- Cardiac mitochondrial connexin 43 regulates apoptosisFarida Goubaeva
Department of Anesthesiology, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 352:97-103. 2007..and Western blot, we showed that the gap junction inhibitors 18-beta-glycyrrhetinic acid (beta-GA), oleamide, and heptanol all induced concomitant release of Ca2+ and cytochrome C in isolated mitochondria whereas the inactive analog 18-..
- Photodynamic therapy with PhotoPoint photosensitiser MV6401, indium chloride methyl pyropheophorbide, achieves selective closure of rat corneal neovascularisation and rabbit choriocapillarisT A Ciulla
Department of Ophthalmology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Br J Ophthalmol 89:113-9. 2005..Optimal drug and light activation parameters were determined...
- The epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR): role in corneal wound healing and homeostasisY Nakamura
Department of Ophthalmology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, 602 0841, Japan
Exp Eye Res 72:511-7. 2001..0 mm glass tube wrapped in tissue paper soaked in n-heptanol. Subsequently, each wound was photographed and measured by a computer-assisted digitizer every 12 hr...
- Contribution to the Detection and Identification of Oxidation Metabolites of Nonylphenol in Sphingomonas sp. strain TTNP3P F X Corvini
Institute of Environmental Research Biology V, RWTH Aachen University, Worringerweg 1, D 52056 Aachen, Germany
Biodegradation 18:233-45. 2007..Until recently, 3,5-dimethyl-3-heptanol was the only reported metabolite of 4(3',5'-dimethyl-3'-heptyl)-phenol...
- Protective role of gap junctions in preconditioning against myocardial infarctionTetsuji Miura
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Sapporo Medical University School of Medicine, South 1 West 16, Chuo Ku, Sapporo 060 8543, Japan
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 286:H214-21. 2004..global ischemia with or without PC with two cycles of 5-min ischemia/5-min reperfusion or a GJ blocker (2 mM heptanol), and then the tissue excised from the ischemic region was incubated in anoxic buffer containing lucifer yellow (..
- Application of zirconium-modified silica gel as a stationary phase in the ion-exclusion chromatography of carboxylic acids. II. Separation of aliphatic carboxylic acids with pyromellitic acid as eluent and with suppressed conductimetric detectionK Ohta
National Industrial Research Institute of Nagoya, Japan
J Chromatogr A 920:181-91. 2001..6 mm I.D.) and a 0.2 mM pyromellitic acid containing 0.15% heptanol as the eluent.
- Electrical conduction within the cerebrovasculature of stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive ratsJ S Smeda
Division of Basic Medical Sciences, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St John s, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 76:194-201. 1998..A loss of PDC in the MCAs of SHRsp preceded stroke development. Heptanol (4 mM), a gap junction communication inhibitor, reversibly inhibited conductivity and PDC in the MCA of prestroke ..
- Blockade by 18beta-glycyrrhetinic acid of intercellular electrical coupling in guinea-pig arteriolesY Yamamoto
Department of Physiology, Nagoya City University Medical School, Mizuho ku, Nagoya 467 8601, Japan
J Physiol 511:501-8. 1998..acid, a gap junction blocker, quickly blocked electrical communication at 40 microM, while neither heptanol nor octanol did so at concentrations of up to 1 mM. 3...
- In vitro electrophysiological drug testing using human embryonic stem cell derived cardiomyocytesOren Caspi
Sohnis Family Research Laboratory for Cardiac Electrophysiology and Regenerative Medicine, Department of Biophysics and Physiology, Rappaport Family Institute for Research in the Medical Sciences, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Stem Cells Dev 18:161-72. 2009..following administration of Na channel blockers (Quinidine and Propafenone) and of the gap junction blocker (1-heptanol)...
- Membrane potential and conductance of frog skin gland acinar cells in resting conditions and during stimulation with agonists of macroscopic secretionJ B Sørensen
Department of Zoophysiology, August Krogh Institute, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
Pflugers Arch 439:101-12. 1999..The cells were electrically coupled through heptanol- and halothane-sensitive gap junctions...
- Normalization of wound healing and diabetic markers in organ cultured human diabetic corneas by adenoviral delivery of c-Met geneMehrnoosh Saghizadeh
Ophthalmology Research Laboratories, Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, California, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 51:1970-80. 2010..After an additional 4 to 5 days of incubation, 5-mm epithelial wounds were created with n-heptanol, and healing was monitored. The corneas were analyzed afterward by immunohistochemistry and Western blot analysis...
- Pathways for ATP release by bovine ciliary epithelial cells, the initial step in purinergic regulation of aqueous humor inflowAng Li
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6085, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 299:C1308-17. 2010..selective blocker of pannexin-1 (PX1) hemichannels (probenecid, 1 mM, 47 ± 2%), by a connexin inhibitor (heptanol, 1 mM, 49 ± 4%), and by an inhibitor of vesicular release (bafilomycin A1, 25 ± 2%), but not by the P2X(7) ..
- Reconstruction of ocular surface with heterologous limbal epithelium and amniotic membrane in a rabbit modelM Avila
Departamento de Oftalmologia, Facultad de Medicina, Hospital San Juan de Dios, Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Colombia
Cornea 20:414-20. 2001..To report in vivo reconstruction of the ocular surface using amniotic membrane and heterologous transplants of epithelial limbal cells in rabbits with chemical burns...
- [Application of three-phase hollow fiber liquid-phase microextraction for analysis of hydroxybenzoic acids]Ying Zhu
School of Pharmaceutical Science, Shanxi Medical University, Taiyuan 030001, China
Se Pu 27:769-75. 2009..The correlation between the enrichment factor (EF) of HBAs and their n-heptanol/water conditional distribution coefficients (log P(n-heptanol/5 mmol/L) HCl), pK(a) mmol/L HCI ), and the number ..
- Glucose-evoked alterations in connexin43-mediated cell-to-cell communication in human collecting duct: a possible role in diabetic nephropathyClaire E Hills
Molecular Physiology, Biomedical Research Institute, Dept of Biological Sciences, Univ of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 291:F1045-51. 2006..evoked a transient rise in cytosolic Ca(2+) concentration ([Ca(2+)](i)) that propagated between cells via a heptanol-sensitive mechanism. The rise in [Ca(2+)](i) was dependent on both store release and Ca(2+)-influx pathways...
- Basis of Voltage & Chemical Gating in Connexin ChannelsMICHAEL PULJUNG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Experiments are proposed to test the hypothesis that block of these hemichannels by heptanol, halothane, and divalent cations should be the same in hemichannels as in intact intercellular channels, ..
- GAP JUNCTIONAL COMMUNICATIONS IN WOUND HEALINGH Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- DETERMINANTS OF PERCEPTION WITH A COCHLEAR IMPLANTDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2001..In addition, the feasibility of conducting fine focal stimulation within the cochlea, both within and across a critical band length, will be evaluated in terms of measures of channel interactions and behavioral performance. ..
- Reactive Oxygen Species American Society of Nephrology Fall 2007THOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2007..Attendance of young scientists insures that the information will be translated into future studies that elucidate the role of ROS in kidney diseases and treatment thereof. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Fluid Movement across Conjunctiva: Stimulation and RegulationOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies may provide the groundwork for the design of future treatment modalities for dry-eye syndromes. ..
- Psychophysicial Studies of Cochlear Efferent FunctionDavid Smith; Fiscal Year: 2005..Without this parallel testing paradigm (and the ability to lesion tracts in the non-human primate subjects) the link between human perception and the underlying neural mechanism would not be direction obtainable. ..
- Calcium Signaling in Vasa Recta EndotheliumTHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will test whether DVR contractions to norepinephrine, Angll and KCI are increased, measure NO production and assess effects of OH on endothelial and pericyte Ca2+ signaling. ..
- VASOMOTOR CONTROL OF DESCENDING VASA RECTATHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- MICROVASCULAR TRANSPORT IN THE RENAL MEDULLATHOMAS PALLONE; Fiscal Year: 2002..Exchange of albumin and middle molecular weight solutes will also be simulated. ..
- Measurement of Fluid Flow Across the Ocular Ciliary BodyOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SOLUTE AND FLUID TRANSPORT ACROSS THE CONJUNCTIVAOSCAR CANDIA; Fiscal Year: 2002..Based on this model, he will devise protocols to modify and possibly reverse the secretory/absorptive properties of the tissue. ..
- Connexins and Heart FunctionFeliksas Bukauskas; Fiscal Year: 2010..2 hemichannels are functional in cardiomyocytes and whether they contribute to slow propagation of excitation in the AV node and protection of ventricles from over excitation during atrial tachyarrhythmia. ..
- Glial Signaling:Interplay of Connexins and P2 ReceptorsEliana Scemes; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Gap Junction Channels Formation and GatingFeliksas Bukauskas; Fiscal Year: 2007..Abnormalities in GJ channels play a key role in generating cardiac arrhythmias, uterine malfunction, epileptic seizures and malignant cell growth. ..
- TRANSPORT BY OCULAR EPITHELIAL CELLSMORTIMER CIVAN; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..