Genomes and Genes
Summary: One of the CARBONIC ANHYDRASE INHIBITORS that is sometimes effective against absence seizures. It is sometimes useful also as an adjunct in the treatment of tonic-clonic, myoclonic, and atonic seizures, particularly in women whose seizures occur or are exacerbated at specific times in the menstrual cycle. However, its usefulness is transient often because of rapid development of tolerance. Its antiepileptic effect may be due to its inhibitory effect on brain carbonic anhydrase, which leads to an increased transneuronal chloride gradient, increased chloride current, and increased inhibition. (From Smith and Reynard, Textbook of Pharmacology, 1991, p337)
Publications310 found, 100 shown here
- Acetazolamide for central serous retinopathyJoseph Pikkel
Department of Ophthalmology, Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, Hadera, Israel
Ophthalmology 109:1723-5. 2002To find out whether acetazolamide has a beneficial effect in the treatment of central serous retinopathy (CSR).
- Cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide and outcome in patients with symptomatic internal carotid or middle cerebral artery occlusion: a xenon-133 single-photon emission computed tomography studyKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery and Cyclotron Research Center, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Japan
Stroke 33:1857-62. 2002....
- A comparison of sodium bicarbonate infusion versus normal saline infusion and its combination with oral acetazolamide for prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy: a randomized, double-blind trialMaryam Pakfetrat
Shiraz Nephro Urology Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Int Urol Nephrol 41:629-34. 2009..of choice for prevention of CIN is controversial, in this study we compared the preventive efficacy of bicarbonate (Bi) infusion in dextrose water versus normal saline (NLS) infusion alone or in combination with oral acetazolamide (AZ).
- Bilateral angle closure glaucoma induced by sulphonamide-derived medicationsGrace C Lee
Wills Eye Hospital, Thomas Jefferson Medical School, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 35:55-8. 2007..We report the occurrence of bilateral angle closure glaucoma with sulphonamide-derived medications and highlight features of the presentation and treatment to assist in early diagnosis and management...
- Role of carbonic anhydrase IX in human tumor cell growth, survival, and invasionNaomi Robertson
Cancer Research UK, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Cancer Res 64:6160-5. 2004..An inhibitor of CAs, acetazolamide has been reported to inhibit invasion...
- Treatment of adult-onset acute macular retinoschisis in enhanced s-cone syndrome with oral acetazolamideAlessandro Iannaccone
Retinal Degeneration and Ophthalmic Genetics Service, Hamilton Eye Institute, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Am J Ophthalmol 147:307-312.e2. 2009To report on the efficacy of the oral carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (CAI) acetazolamide in treating macular retinoschisis (RS) in the rare vitreoretinal dystrophy best known as the enhanced S-cone syndrome (ESCS).
- Acetazolamide for prevention of contrast-induced nephropathy: a new use for an old drugFarahnak Assadi
Department of Pediatrics, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Pediatr Cardiol 27:238-42. 2006..Whether acetazolamide (AZ), a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, is more effective than HCO3- unknown...
- Preparation and evaluation of reverse-phase evaporation and multilamellar niosomes as ophthalmic carriers of acetazolamideAhmed S Guinedi
Department of Pharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Monazamet El Wehda El Afrikia St, El Abbassia, Cairo, Egypt
Int J Pharm 306:71-82. 2005..The intraocular pressure (IOP) lowering activity of acetazolamide niosomal formulations in rabbits was measured using ShiØtz tonometer...
- Aquaporin-1 translocation and degradation mediates the water transportation mechanism of acetazolamideJianzhao Zhang
State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs, Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e45976. 2012Diuretic agents are widely used on the treatment of water retention related diseases, among which acetazolamide (AZA) acts originally as a carbonic anhydrase (CA) inhibitor...
- Long-term prognosis of medically treated patients with internal carotid or middle cerebral artery occlusion: can acetazolamide test predict it?S Kuroda
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Hokkaido Neurosurgical Memorial Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
Stroke 32:2110-6. 2001..The present study was aimed at testing the hypothesis that regional cerebrovascular reactivity (rCVR) to acetazolamide can be a reliable predictor of subsequent ischemic stroke in medically treated patients with internal carotid ..
- Effects of acute hypercapnia on the amplitude of cerebrovascular pulsation in humans registered with a non-invasive methodAndrzej F Frydrychowski
Institute of Human Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical University of Gdansk, Tuwima Str 15, 80 210 Gdansk, Poland
Microvasc Res 83:229-36. 2012..The aim of the study was to assess non-invasively the effects of acute hypercapnia on the amplitude of cerebrovascular pulsation (CVP) in humans...
- Flow-induced changes in pial artery compliance registered with a non-invasive method in rabbitsAndrzej F Frydrychowski
Institute of Human Physiology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Medical University of Gdansk, Tuwima Str 15, 80 210 Gdansk, Poland
Microvasc Res 82:156-62. 2011..This study was performed: 1) to assess the relationship between blood flow velocity in the internal carotid artery (CBF(ICA)) and pial artery pulsation (cc-TQ) and 2) to evaluate flow-induced changes in pial artery compliance...
- Evaluation of the effect of acetazolamide on cystoid macular oedema in patients with Behcet's diseaseA R Lashay
Department of Ophthalmology Tehran Medical Sciences University Tehran, Iran
Eye (Lond) 17:762-6. 2003To study the effect of acetazolamide on cystoid macular oedema (CMO) in patients with Behcet's disease.
- An efficient ternary complex of acetazolamide with HP-ss-CD and TEA for topical ocular administrationSantiago D Palma
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, 5000 Cordoba, Argentina
J Control Release 138:24-31. 2009In order to enhance the ocular bioavailability of acetazolamide (ACZ), a multicomponent complex with hydroxypropyl-ss-cyclodextrin (HP-ss-CD) and triethanolamine (TEA) was prepared to be applied topically...
- Acetazolamide-responsive exercise-induced episodic ataxia associated with a novel homozygous DARS2 mutationMatthis Synofzik
Department of Neurodegenerative Diseases, Hertie Institute for Clinical Brain Research, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
J Med Genet 48:713-5. 2011..So far, affected individuals were invariably compound heterozygous for two mutations in DARS2, and drug treatments have remained elusive...
- Enhancing effects of acetazolamide on neuronal activity correlate with enhanced visual processing ability in humansRasmus Aamand
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
Neuropharmacology 61:900-8. 2011b>Acetazolamide is a potent inhibitor of the reversible hydration of CO(2) catalyzed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase and is commonly used to increase cerebral blood flow e.g. in order to estimate cerebrovascular reserve...
- Study of the extent of ocular absorption of acetazolamide from a developed niosomal formulation, by microdialysis sampling of aqueous humorDeepika Aggarwal
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Int J Pharm 338:21-6. 2007b>Acetazolamide, a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor is used orally (no topical formulation being available in the market) for the reduction of intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients suffering from glaucoma...
- Acetazolamide: a forgotten diuretic agentRahim Kassamali
Division of Nephrology, Virginia Commonwealth University Health System, Richmond, USA
Cardiol Rev 19:276-8. 2011b>Acetazolamide is the only carbonic anhydrase inhibitor with significant diuretic effects. It is readily absorbed and undergoes renal elimination by tubular secretion. Its administration is ordinarily marked by a brisk alkaline diuresis...
- Selective inhibition of carbonic anhydrase IX decreases cell proliferation and induces ceramide-mediated apoptosis in human cancer cellsFabio Cianchi
Department of Critical Medical and Surgical Care, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 334:710-9. 2010..The aim of this study was to evaluate the antitumor activity of three CA inhibitors, namely acetazolamide (AZ) and two newly synthesized aromatic sulfonamides with high affinity for CA IX, 2-(4-sulfamoylphenyl-amino)-..
- Which CT perfusion parameter best reflects cerebrovascular reserve?: correlation of acetazolamide-challenged CT perfusion with single-photon emission CT in Moyamoya patientsN J Rim
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Gyeonggi Do, Korea
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 29:1658-63. 2008..We assessed whether there is any resting or drug-challenged CTP parameter correlating with cerebrovascular reserve (CVR) obtained by SPECT in Moyamoya patients...
- Multicenter evaluation of a standardized protocol for rest and acetazolamide cerebral blood flow assessment using a quantitative SPECT reconstruction program and split-dose 123I-iodoamphetamineHidehiro Iida
Dual Table Autoradiography SPECT Research Group in Japan, Osaka, Japan
J Nucl Med 51:1624-31. 2010..been developed to reconstruct quantitative SPECT images and assess cerebral blood flow (CBF) at rest and after acetazolamide challenge from a single SPECT session...
- Acetazolamide improves central sleep apnea in heart failure: a double-blind, prospective studyShahrokh Javaheri
Pulmonary Section 111F, VA Medical Center, 3200 Vine Street, Cincinnati, OH 45220, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:234-7. 2006b>Acetazolamide is a mild diuretic and a respiratory stimulant. It is used to treat periodic breathing at high altitude.
- Acetazolamide, a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, reverses inflammation-induced thermal hyperalgesia in ratsRajan Radhakrishnan
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, California, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 313:921-7. 2005..We therefore hypothesized that inhibition of CAs with acetazolamide (ACTZ) increases the tissue pH and reverses inflammation-induced pain...
- Quantitative measurement of regional cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide using 123I-N-isopropyl-p-iodoamphetamine autoradiography with SPECT: validation study using H2 15O with PETKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, 19 1 Uchimaru, Morioka 020 8505, Japan
J Nucl Med 44:520-5. 2003..To validate the accuracy of (123)I-IMP-ARG for quantifying regional cerebrovascular reactivity (rCVR) to acetazolamide, we compared rCVR determined using (123)I-IMP-ARG with that determined using H(2)(15)O PET.
- Acetazolamide therapy for hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis in pediatric patients with heart diseaseBrady S Moffett
Department of Pharmacy, Texas Children s Hospital, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Am J Ther 14:331-5. 2007..There are no data in children regarding the efficacy and safety of acetazolamide to treat hypochloremic metabolic alkalosis.
- Vasodilatory capacity of the cerebral vasculature in patients with carotid artery stenosisR P H Bokkers
Department of Radiology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32:1030-3. 2011..The aim of our study was to investigate the vasodilatory capacity of the proximal and distal cerebral vasculature in patients with an ICA stenosis and healthy control subjects by combining MRA with an acetazolamide provocation challenge.
- Promising complexes of acetazolamide for topical ocular administrationGladys E Granero
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Ciudad Universitaria, X5000HUA Córdoba, Argentina
Expert Opin Drug Deliv 7:943-53. 2010b>Acetazolamide (ACZ), a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor (CAI), and other oral CAIs have been an integral part of antiglaucoma therapy for > 40 years...
- Aquaporin-1 expression and angiogenesis in rabbit chronic myocardial ischemia is decreased by acetazolamideXun Ran
Department of Cardiology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, Sichuan Province, PR China
Heart Vessels 25:237-47. 2010..These AQP1-induced changes were tempered by acetazolamide, a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, which acted by downregulating AQP1 expression...
- Randomised, double blind, placebo controlled comparison of ginkgo biloba and acetazolamide for prevention of acute mountain sickness among Himalayan trekkers: the prevention of high altitude illness trial (PHAIT)Jeffrey H Gertsch
Department of Internal Medicine, Maricopa Medical Center, 2601 E Roosevelt Avenue number O D 10, Phoenix, AZ 85008, USA
BMJ 328:797. 2004To evaluate the efficacy of ginkgo biloba, acetazolamide, and their combination as prophylaxis against acute mountain sickness.
- A new CACNA1A gene mutation in acetazolamide-responsive familial hemiplegic migraine and ataxiaS Battistini
Institute of Neurological Sciences, University of Siena, Italy
Neurology 53:38-43. 1999..To search for mutations in the calcium channel gene CACNA1A and to study the genotype-phenotype correlation in a family with a severe familial hemiplegic migraine (FHM) phenotype and a slowly progressive cerebellar ataxia...
- Crystal structure of carbonic anhydrase from Neisseria gonorrhoeae and its complex with the inhibitor acetazolamideS Huang
Department of Biochemistry, Umea University, Umea, S 90187, Sweden
J Mol Biol 283:301-10. 1998..The structure of a complex with the sulfonamide inhibitor, acetazolamide, has also been determined...
- Acetazolamide prevents vacuolar myopathy in skeletal muscle of K(+) -depleted ratsD Tricarico
Department of Pharmacobiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bari, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 154:183-90. 2008b>Acetazolamide and dichlorphenamide are carbonic anhydrase (CA) inhibitors effective in the clinical condition of hypokalemic periodic paralysis (hypoPP)...
- Formulation and evaluation of ophthalmic preparations of acetazolamideI P Kaur
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Int J Pharm 199:119-27. 2000The orally administered acetazolamide has a limited use in glaucoma due to the systemic side effects associated with its use...
- Mechanisms of action of acetazolamide in the prophylaxis and treatment of acute mountain sicknessDavid E Leaf
J Appl Physiol 102:1313-22. 2007b>Acetazolamide, a potent carbonic anhydrase (CA) inhibitor, is the most commonly used and best-studied agent for the amelioration of acute mountain sickness (AMS)...
- Impaired cerebrovascular reactivity in sepsis-associated encephalopathy studied by acetazolamide testSzilárd Szatmári
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Debrecen, Health and Medical Science Center, Debrecen, Nagyerdei krt, Hungary
Crit Care 14:R50. 2010..The aim of the present work was to test whether cerebral vasomotor-reactivity is impaired in patients with SAE...
- Acetazolamide reversibly inhibits water conduction by aquaporin-4Yukihiro Tanimura
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Science, Kyoto University, Oiwake, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
J Struct Biol 166:16-21. 2009..Here, we report the effect of inhibitors on water conduction by AQP4 and AQP1 reconstituted into liposomes. Acetazolamide (AZA), an inhibitor of sulfonamide carbonic anhydrase (CA), reversibly inhibits water permeation through AQP4, ..
- Comparative efficacy of HgCl2 with candidate aquaporin-1 inhibitors DMSO, gold, TEA+ and acetazolamideBaoxue Yang
Departments of Medicine and Physiology, Cardiovascular Research Institute, 1246 Health Sciences East Tower, Box 0521, University of California, UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143 0521, USA
FEBS Lett 580:6679-84. 2006..compounds with reported AQP1 inhibition activity, including DMSO, Au(+++), Ag(+), tetraethylammonium and acetazolamide. Water permeability was measured by stopped-flow light scattering in erythrocytes and volume marker dilution ..
- Acetazolamide and midazolam act synergistically to inhibit neuropathic painMarina Asiedu
The University of Arizona School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Pain 148:302-8. 2010..Here, we show that inhibition of spinal CA activity with acetazolamide (ACT) reduces neuropathic allodynia...
- Efficacy of low-dose acetazolamide (125 mg BID) for the prophylaxis of acute mountain sickness: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trialBuddha Basnyat
Nepal International Clinic, Himalayan Rescue Association
High Alt Med Biol 4:45-52. 2003The objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of low-dose acetazolamide (125 mg twice daily) for the prevention of acute mountain sickness (AMS)...
- Acetazolamide inhibits osmotic water permeability by interaction with aquaporin-1Junwei Gao
Department of Pharmacology and State Key Laboratory of Natural and Biomimetic Drugs, Peking University Health Science Center, Beijing 100083, China
Anal Biochem 350:165-70. 2006..In a previous study, we found that acetazolamide could inhibit osmotic water transportation across Xenopus oocytes by blocking the function of aquaporin-1 (..
- Test of blockers of AQP1 water permeability by a high-resolution method: no effects of tetraethylammonium ions or acetazolamideRikke Søgaard
Nordic Centre for Water Imbalance Related Disorders, Institute of Cellular and Molecular Medicine, Blegdamsvej 3C, University of Copenhagen, Blegdamsvej 3C, DK 2200, Copenhagen N, Denmark
Pflugers Arch 456:285-92. 2008..reports based on slower and less sensitive assays, we found no effects of tetraethylammonium ions (TEA+) and acetazolamide on Lp...
- Treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension: topiramate vs acetazolamide, an open-label studyN Celebisoy
Department of Neurology, Ege University Medical School, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
Acta Neurol Scand 116:322-7. 2007..efficacy of topiramate in the treatment of idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) and to compare it with acetazolamide. METHODS - Fourty patients diagnosed as IIH and randomly assigned to treatment with either acetazolamide or ..
- Prediction of the clinical outcome of pediatric moyamoya disease with postoperative basal/acetazolamide stress brain perfusion SPECT after revascularization surgeryYoung So
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul 110 744, Korea
Stroke 36:1485-9. 2005We evaluated whether basal/acetazolamide stress brain perfusion SPECT performed after revascularization surgery can predict the further clinical outcome of patients with pediatric moyamoya disease.
- Changes in cerebral blood flow after acetazolamide: an experimental study comparing near-infrared spectroscopy and SPECTH W Schytz
Danish Headache Center and Department of Neurology Glostrup Hospital, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup, Denmark
Eur J Neurol 16:461-7. 2009..To validate if the BFI method can detect relative changes in CBF we compared data with the established method (133)Xenon single photon emission computer tomography ((133)Xe-SPECT)...
- Effect of acetazolamide on outward permeability of blood-retina barrier using differential vitreous flyorophotometryJ Takahashi
Department of Ophthalmology, Asahikawa Medical College, Asahikawa, Japan
Curr Eye Res 23:166-70. 2001..fluorescein (F) and fluorescein monoglucuronide (FG) concentrations in the vitreous and evaluate the effect of acetazolamide (AZM) on the outward permeability of the blood-retina barrier (BRB) using differential vitreous ..
- Delayed migraine-like headache in healthy volunteers after a combination of acetazolamide and glyceryl trinitrateD Daugaard
Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup, Copenhagen, Denmark
Cephalalgia 29:1294-300. 2009..GTN induces headache in healthy volunteers and migraine attacks in migraineurs. Acetazolamide (Az) increases CBF but does not dilate cerebral arteries...
- Combined treatment potentiates the developmental toxicity of ibuprofen and acetazolamide in ratsGregg D Cappon
Pfizer Global Research and Development, Groton, Connecticut 06340, USA
Drug Chem Toxicol 28:409-21. 2005..To inhibit both COX and carbonic anhydrase, ibuprofen (COX inhibitor) and acetazolamide (carbonic anhydrase inhibitor) were coadministered on GDs 9-10...
- Combination of a mean transit time measurement with an acetazolamide test increases predictive power to identify elevated oxygen extraction fraction in occlusive carotid artery diseasesMasaaki Hokari
Department of Neurosurgery, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
J Nucl Med 49:1922-7. 2008Reduced cerebral blood flow and cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide have been used as predictors for subsequent ischemic stroke in patients with occlusive carotid artery diseases, called type 3 ischemia...
- Acetazolamide-induced cilio-choroidal effusion after cataract surgery: unusual posterior involvementRomualdo Malagola
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Drug Des Devel Ther 7:33-6. 2013..We report a case of bilateral acute ACG and peculiar choroidal effusion following administration of oral acetazolamide immediately after cataract surgery...
- Adverse effects of intravenous acetazolamide administration for evaluation of cerebrovascular reactivity using brain perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography in patients with major cerebral artery steno-occlusive diseasesHideo Saito
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Iwate, Japan
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 51:479-83. 2011Adverse effects of intravenous acetazolamide administration for evaluation of cerebrovascular reactivity using brain perfusion single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) were prospectively investigated in 100 patients with major ..
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome associated with intravenous acetazolamide administration for evaluation of cerebrovascular reactivity. Case reportKuniaki Ogasawara
Department of Neurosurgery, Iwate Medical University, Morioka, Iwate
Neurol Med Chir (Tokyo) 46:161-3. 2006..manifesting as transient ischemic attack underwent evaluation of regional cerebrovascular reactivity to acetazolamide using single photon emission computed tomography...
- Long-term improvement of paroxysmal dystonic choreathetosis with acetazolamideVeronique Michel
J Neurol 253:1362-4. 2006
- Sour on the inside, calm on the outside: how acetazolamide may stabilize membrane excitabilityRobert L Ruff
Muscle Nerve 34:263-4. 2006
- Oxygen extraction fraction and acetazolamide reactivity in symptomatic carotid artery diseaseH Yamauchi
Research Institute, Shiga Medical Center, Moriyama, Japan
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 75:33-7. 2004It has been proposed that cerebral blood flow (CBF) response to acetazolamide may be reduced according to the degree of autoregulatory vasodilation in regions with normal oxygen extraction fraction (OEF), whereas the CBF response may be ..
- Bilateral acetazolamide-induced choroidal effusion following cataract surgeryS Parthasarathi
Eye (Lond) 21:870-2. 2007
- [Differential protein analysis in rat renal proximal tubule epithelial cells in response to acetazolamide and its relation with the inhibition of AQP1]Sheng Mei Mu
Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Yao Xue Xue Bao 38:169-72. 2003To study the endogenous mechanism for the inhibition of aquaporin-1 expression in rat renal proximal tubule epithelial cells in response to acetazolamide.
- Comparison of acetazolamide and medroxyprogesterone as respiratory stimulants in hypercapnic patients with COPDMichiel Wagenaar
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Dekkerswald, University of Nijmegen, Groesbeek, The Netherlands
Chest 123:1450-9. 2003b>Acetazolamide and medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA) are two respiratory stimulants that can be used in patients with stable hypercapnic COPD.
- Acetazolamide in the treatment of X-linked retinoschisis maculopathyMehdi Ghajarnia
Arch Ophthalmol 125:571-3. 2007
- Synthesis, characterization and in vitro release studies of a new acetazolamide-HP-beta-CD-TEA inclusion complexGladys E Granero
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba Ciudad Universitaria, 5000 Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
Eur J Med Chem 43:464-70. 2008The aim of our work was to develop a multicomponent inclusion complex of acetazolamide (ACZ) in order to investigate the combined effect of hydroxypropyl-beta-cyclodextrin (HP-beta-CD) and triethanolamine (TEA) on the solubility of ACZ ..
- Acetazolamide: future perspective in topical glaucoma therapeuticsIndu Pal Kaur
University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Int J Pharm 248:1-14. 2002Through this review it is contemplated that acetazolamide (ACZ), an age-old treatment for glaucoma with a myriad of side effects and inadequate topical effectiveness, may be formulated into a topically effective agent by utilizing ..
- Acetazolamide affects breathing differently in ICR and C57 miceEvelyn Schlenker
Division of Basic Biomedical Sciences, University of South Dakota School of Medicine, Vermillion, 57069, USA
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 152:119-27. 2006b>Acetazolamide (ACZ) administration was compared on ventilation in outbred male ICR Swiss Webster (ICR) and inbred C57BL/6J (C57) mice, used in development of transgenic strains...
- Effect of acetazolamide and autoCPAP therapy on breathing disturbances among patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome who travel to altitude: a randomized controlled trialTsogyal D Latshang
Sleep Disorders Center, Pulmonary Division, University Hospital of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
JAMA 308:2390-8. 2012..Many patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSA) living near sea level travel to altitude, but this may expose them to hypoxemia and exacerbation of sleep apnea. The treatment in this setting is not established...
- Early effects of acetazolamide on anionic activities of the guinea pig endolymph: evidence for active function of carbonic anhydrase in the cochleaK Ikeda
Department of Otolaryngology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Sendai, Japan
Hear Res 31:211-6. 1987The effect of acetazolamide (ACZ) on HCO3- and Cl- activities in inner ear fluid was investigated by ion-selective microelectrode methods. The endocochlear potential, at 81.6 +/- 1.5 mV under normal conditions, was reduced by 4.9 +/- 0...
- Structural studies of β-carbonic anhydrase from the green alga Coccomyxa: inhibitor complexes with anions and acetazolamideShenghua Huang
Department of Chemistry, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS ONE 6:e28458. 2011..of the photoautotroph unicellular green alga Coccomyxa β-CA in complex with five different inhibitors: acetazolamide, thiocyanate, azide, iodide, and phosphate ions...
- Effect of acetazolamide on aquaporin-1 and fluid flow in cultured choroid plexusPouya A Ameli
Burnett School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL, USA
Acta Neurochir Suppl 113:59-64. 2012b>Acetazolamide (AZA), used in treatment of early or infantile hydrocephalus, is effective in some cases, while its effect on the choroid plexus (CP) remains ill-defined...
- Impact of bicarbonate, ammonium chloride, and acetazolamide on hepatic and renal SLC26A4 expressionIoana Alesutan
Department of Physiology, University of Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Cell Physiol Biochem 28:553-8. 2011..Slc26a4 in liver and kidney of mice drinking tap water without or with NaHCO(3) (150 mM), NH(4)Cl (280 mM) or acetazolamide (3.6 mM) for seven days...
- Population pharmacodynamic model of bicarbonate response to acetazolamide in mechanically ventilated chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patientsNicholas Heming
Medical Intensive Care Unit, European Georges Pompidou Hospital AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 20 rue Leblanc, 75908 Paris, France
Crit Care 15:R213. 2011b>Acetazolamide is commonly given to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) patients with metabolic alkalosis. Little is known of the pharmacodynamics of acetazolamide in the critically ill...
- Hypercapnic respiratory failure in obesity-hypoventilation syndrome: CO₂ response and acetazolamide treatment effectsJoan Maria Raurich
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitari Son Dureta, Andrea Doria 55, 07014, Palma de Mallorca, Illes Balears, Spain
Respir Care 55:1442-8. 2010..for hypercapnic respiratory failure we investigated the relationship between CO₂ response, body mass index, and plasma bicarbonate concentration, and the effect of acetazolamide on bicarbonate concentration and CO₂ response.
- Acetazolamide and amiloride inhibit pentobarbital-induced facilitation of nocifensive reflexesD P Archer
Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Anesthesiology 90:1158-64. 1999..Drugs such as acetazolamide or amiloride can block GABA depolarization...
- Noninvasive magnetic resonance imaging evaluation of cerebral blood flow with acetazolamide challenge in patients with cerebrovascular stenosisJ A Detre
Department of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 10:870-5. 1999..measured by using continuous arterial spin labeling (CASL) both at rest and 10 minutes after 1 g intravenous acetazolamide on a commercial 1.5 Tesla scanner...
- Neutron diffraction of acetazolamide-bound human carbonic anhydrase II reveals atomic details of drug bindingS Zoe Fisher
Bioscience Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:14726-9. 2012..As such, CA isoforms are prominent clinical targets for treating various diseases. The clinically used acetazolamide (AZM) is a sulfonamide that binds with high affinity to human CA isoform II (HCA II)...
- Acetazolamide for the prevention of acute mountain sickness--a systematic review and meta-analysisNeil D Ritchie
Institute of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
J Travel Med 19:298-307. 2012b>Acetazolamide has been reported to be effective in the prevention of acute mountain sickness (AMS). Our aim was to conduct a systematic review of randomized, placebo-controlled trials of acetazolamide in the prevention of AMS.
- Acetazolamide impairs fear memory consolidation in rodentsMing Tao Yang
Department of Pediatrics, Far Eastern Memorial Hospital, No 21, Section 2, Nanya South Road, Banciao district, New Taipei City 220, Taiwan
Neuropharmacology 67:412-8. 2013b>Acetazolamide (AZ) is an carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, which has been used in the treatment of seizures, mountain sickness and glaucoma...
- Acetazolamide for Monge's disease: efficiency and tolerance of 6-month treatmentJean Paul Richalet
Universite Paris 13, Laboratoire Réponses Cellulaires et Fonctionnelles à l Hypoxie, EA 2363, ARPE, UFR SMBH, Bobigny, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:1370-6. 2008..It has a considerable impact on public health in high-altitude regions. A preliminary study demonstrated the efficiency of acetazolamide (Acz) (250 mg/d for 3 wk) in reducing serum erythropoietin and hematocrit.
- Arterial [H+] and the ventilatory response to hypoxia in humans: influence of acetazolamide-induced metabolic acidosisLuc J Teppema
Department of Anesthesiology, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 298:L89-95. 2010..We used acetazolamide to induce a metabolic acidosis...
- Ginkgo biloba and acetazolamide prophylaxis for acute mountain sickness: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialTony Chow
Department of Emergency Medicine, Loma Linda University Medical Center and Children s Hospital, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:296-301. 2005Acute mountain sickness (AMS) commonly occurs when unacclimatized individuals ascend to altitudes above 2000 m. Acetazolamide and Ginkgo biloba have both been recommended for AMS prophylaxis; however, there is conflicting evidence ..
- Effects on aqueous flow of dorzolamide combined with either timolol or acetazolamideCarol B Toris
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, 68198 5145, USA
J Glaucoma 13:210-5. 2004To determine the effect on aqueous flow of topical dorzolamide 2%, topical timolol 0.5%, or oral acetazolamide 250 mg when used alone or when dorzolamide is combined with either timolol or acetazolamide.
- Acetazolamide suppresses tumor metastasis and related protein expression in mice bearing Lewis lung carcinomaYang Xiang
Department of Pharmacology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing 100083, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:745-51. 2002To study the suppressing effect of acetazolamide on tumor metastasis in vivo and observe the protein alteration of lung in mice bearing Lewis lung carcinoma.
- Influence of acetazolamide and CO2 on extracranial flow volume and intracranial blood flow velocityB M Eicke
Departments of Clinical Neurophysiology, University of Gottingen, Germany
Stroke 30:76-80. 1999..This hypothesis is difficult to verify. Simultaneous assessment of intracranial flow velocity and extracranial flow volume changes may solve this problem...
- Pharmacologic prophylaxis for acute mountain sickness: a systematic shortcut reviewRawle A Seupaul
Department of Emergency Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Ann Emerg Med 59:307-317.e1. 2012..A systematic review of this subject published in 2000 found that both acetazolamide and dexamethasone were effective. Since 2000, a number of other agents have been reported to be beneficial...
- [Positional impedance tests with acetazolamide: a clinical test for evaluating endolymphatic hydrops]A Abramo
I Clinica Otorinolaringoiatrica,
Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 16:401-6. 1996The authors report on the possible advantages acetazolamide, in conjunction with Positional Impedenzometry, can provide in the detection of minor labyrinthine hydrops and major labyrinthine fluid tension disorders...
- Phenotype-dependent functional and pharmacological properties of BK channels in skeletal muscle: effects of microgravityDomenico Tricarico
Department of Pharmacobiology, Unit of Pharmacology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Bari, 70126, via Orabona no 4, Bari, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 20:296-302. 2005..of calcium-activated potassium channel (BK) in skeletal muscle phenotype determination and response to acetazolamide, a BK opener...
- Reappraisal of acetazolamide for the prevention of acute mountain sickness: a systematic review and meta-analysisBengt Kayser
Institute of Movement Sciences and Sports Medicine, Medical Faculty, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
High Alt Med Biol 13:82-92. 2012b>Acetazolamide is used to prevent acute mountain sickness (AMS). We assessed efficacy and harm of acetazolamide for the prevention of AMS, and tested for dose-responsiveness...
- Acetazolamide improves cerebral hemodynamics in CADASILLi Huang
Department of Neurology, Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, Hunan Province, Changsha, 410008, China
J Neurol Sci 292:77-80. 2010b>Acetazolamide (ACZ), a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, causes a rapid increase in cerebral blood flow (CBF) in patients with cerebrovascular diseases...
- Vasoreactivity induced by acetazolamide in patients with vascular dementia versus Alzheimer's diseaseYuttachai Likitjaroen
Division of Neurology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Thailand
J Neurol Sci 283:32-5. 2009b>Acetazolamide vasoreactive test measures the increment of cerebral blood flow caused by compensatory vasodilatation ability of cerebral vessels which can be detected by transcranial Doppler ultrasound (TCD)...
- Theophylline and acetazolamide reduce sleep-disordered breathing at high altitudeR Fischer
Dept of Medicine, Division of Pneumology, Medizinische Klinik Innenstadt, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
Eur Respir J 23:47-52. 2004A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study was conducted to evaluate the effects of theophylline and acetazolamide in the treatment of sleep-disordered breathing (SDB) after fast ascent to high altitude (3,454 m)...
- Spironolactone does not prevent acute mountain sickness: a prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial by SPACE Trial Group (spironolactone and acetazolamide trial in the prevention of acute mountain sickness group)Buddha Basnyat
Nepal International Clinic, Kathmandu, Nepal
Wilderness Environ Med 22:15-22. 2011..Hence, a prospective, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of spironolactone in the prevention of AMS...
- Absolute CBF and CBV measurements by MRI bolus tracking before and after acetazolamide challenge: repeatabilily and comparison with PET in humansCecile B Grandin
Department of Radiology, St Luc University Hospital, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Neuroimage 26:525-35. 2005..gradient echo MRI were compared to H(2)(15)O and (11)CO positron emission tomography (PET) before and after acetazolamide (ACZ) (n = 8) or saline (n = 4) administration...
- Anaphylactic shock and acute pulmonary edema after a single oral dose of acetazolamideMassimo Gallerani
Am J Emerg Med 20:371-2. 2002
- Microarray analysis of murine limb bud ectoderm and mesoderm after exposure to cadmium or acetazolamideClaire M Schreiner
Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children s Hospital Medical Center, and Department of Pediatrics, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio 45229, USA
Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 85:588-98. 2009..This malformation, postaxial, right-sided forelimb ectrodactyly, is thought to arise via an alteration of hedgehog signaling...
- Effects of acetazolamide and furosemide on ventilation and cerebral blood volume in normocapnic and hypercapnic patients with COPDMarjo J T van de Ven
Department of Pulmonology Dekkerswald, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Groesbeek, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Chest 121:383-92. 2002..The relationship between responses of inspired ventilation (VI), mouth occlusion pressure (P(0.1)), and cerebral blood volume (CBV), to short-term changes in arterial PCO(2) was measured...
- Poststenotic flow and intracranial hemodynamics in patients with carotid stenosis: transoral carotid ultrasonography studyMasahiro Kamouchi
Department of Cerebrovascular Disease, Cerebrovascular Center and Clinical Research Institute, National Kyushu Medical Center, Fukuoka, Japan
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 26:76-81. 2005..We investigated whether poststenotic flow on transoral carotid ultrasonography (TOCU) is predictive of cerebral hemodynamics...
- Acetazolamide efficacy and tolerability in migraine with aura: a pilot studyRoberto De Simone
Headache Center, Department of Neurological Sciences, University Federico II of Naples, Italy
Headache 45:385-6. 2005The study was an open uncontrolled pilot trial to test the efficacy and the tolerability of acetazolamide in a group of 22 outpatients suffering from migraine with aura (MA) with at least one aura episode in the last 2 months.
- Short-term changes in intraocular pressure after phacoemulsification in glaucoma patientsPaolo Fogagnolo
G B Bietti Foundation, IRCCS, and Eye Clinics, Universities of San Paolo Hospital, Milan, Italy fogagnolopaolo googlemail com
Ophthalmologica 228:154-8. 2012To evaluate short-term intraocular pressure (IOP) changes after phacoemulsification in glaucoma and normal patients and the effect of oral acetazolamide (Diamox) to control IOP in these patients.
- Efficacy and tolerability of acetazolamide in migraine prophylaxis: a randomised placebo-controlled trialK Vahedi
Service de Neurologie Hĵpital Lariboisière, Paris, France
J Neurol 249:206-11. 2002..EA2 attacks are remarkably sensitive to acetazolamide, a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor. The effectiveness of acetazolamide in migraine prophylaxis is unknown.
- Acute mountain sickness score and hypoxemiaM M Hussain
High Altitude Medical Research Cell (HALMARC, Army Medical College, Rawalpindi
J Pak Med Assoc 51:173-9. 2001..was carried out to quantify the relationship between AMS and hypoxemia alongwith evaluating the benefits of acetazolamide-dexamethasone chemoprophylaxis during acute ascent...
- Acetazolamide-mediated decrease in strong ion difference accounts for the correction of metabolic alkalosis in critically ill patientsMiriam Moviat
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Crit Care 10:R14. 2006..Treatment with the carbonic anhydrase inhibitor acetazolamide is indicated in selected cases...
- Prevention of acute mountain sickness by acetazolamide in Nepali porters: a double-blind controlled trialPeter Hillenbrand
Department of Medicine, Good Hope Hospital NHS Trust, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands, UK
Wilderness Environ Med 17:87-93. 2006This study aimed to determine the efficacy, tolerability, and practicality of acetazolamide for the prevention of acute mountain sickness (AMS) in Nepali trekking porters early in the trekking season.
- Acetazolamide protects against posthypoxic unstable breathing in the C57BL/6J mouseMotoo Yamauchi
Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 103:1263-8. 2007b>Acetazolamide (Acz), a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, is used to manage periodic breathing associated with altitude and with heart failure...
- Abnormalities in ureter and kidney development in mice given acetazolamide-amiloride or dimethadione (DMO) during embryogenesisT A Miller
Children s Hospital Research Foundation, Cincinnati, Ohio
Teratology 46:541-50. 1992These experiments more accurately define the effects of the combination acetazolamide-amiloride or a single dose of dimethadione (DMO), the active metabolite of trimethadione, on the development of the ureter...
- Acetazolamide in women with catamenial epilepsyL L Lim
Department of Neurology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195
Epilepsia 42:746-9. 2001..Specific treatment options for these patients are limited. The use of acetazolamide (AZ) has been based largely on anecdotal reports demonstrating efficacy in small or poorly characterized ..
- Age-Related Decrease in A-Beta Peptide Clearance Pathways: CSF and BBBConrad Earl Johanson; Fiscal Year: 2010..quantify the kinetics of clearance of tagged Ap from the CP-CSF in aging and after flow inhibition induced by acetazolamide or FGF2, and Hi) characterize the age-modified expression of the Ap transporters, LRP-1 and the receptor for ..
- Targeted Therapies for Selected Phenotypes of Obstructive Sleep ApneaJerome A Dempsey; Fiscal Year: 2010..of transient hypocapnia via a unique iso-capnic rebreathing application;(2) reduction of plant gain via acetazolamide;and (3) a dampening of controller gain via hyperoxia, during sleep...
- Role of cerebrospinal fluid dynamics in brain drug deliveryJAY CHRISTOPHER SY; Fiscal Year: 2013..I will use these devices and in vivo imaging techniques to quantify how CSF-modulating drugs such as acetazolamide affect drug distribution and exposure...
- THEORY OF SOLUTE AND WATER TRANSPORT ACROSS EPITHELIAAlan M Weinstein; Fiscal Year: 2013..These models will simulate axial interaction among segments, as in osmotic diuresis or acetazolamide action, and predict the impact of medullary K+ concentration on distal solute delivery...
- Molecular and clinical characterization of ion channelopathiesQing Ke; Fiscal Year: 2010..by working in the funded clinical studies in periodic paralyses in Rochester: HYP HOP (Dichlorphenamide vs Acetazolamide for Periodic Paralysis), TAPP (Therapeutic Trial of Potassium and Acetazolamide in Andersen-Tawil Syndrome), ..
- A method for measuring and modeling the physiologic traits causing sleep apneaDAVID ANDREW WELLMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..will be tested include upper airway surgery and oral appliances (to manipulate pharyngeal collapsibility), acetazolamide and supplemental oxygen (to manipulate the control of breathing), and eszopiclone (to manipulate the arousal ..
- EFFECTS OF ANTICONVULSANTS ON GLIAL ION TRANSPORTSteve White; Fiscal Year: 1991..concentrations of the prototype anticonvulsants phenytoin, carbamazepine, valproate, diazepam, ethosuximide, acetazolamide, and to the calcium channel blocker flunarizine...
- CELLULAR REGULATION OF KIDNEY EPITHELIAL CELL POLARITYDennis Brown; Fiscal Year: 2006..Remodeling, induced by acetazolamide treatment (carbonic anhydrase inhibition) and acid/base manipulation, could occur by phenotypic switching ..
- Functional activation during cerebral ischemiaJoel H Greenberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..conditions including mild and severe ischemia and pharmacological modulation of CBF with theophylline, acetazolamide, and CO2...
- DIURETIC PROTECTION FROM ALCOHOL INDUCED BRAIN DAMAGEMichael Collins; Fiscal Year: 1999..in this R21 application to explore the generality of neuroprotection by studying three other diuretics, acetazolamide, chlorthalidone and torsemide along with a nondiuretic furosemide analog (L-644, 711) in our in vivo/in vitro ..
- Microarray Analysis of Limb Bud Reaction to Teratogen E*William Scott; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have shown that this activity is lost from acetazolamide exposed muring limbs...
- MOLECULAR AND CELLULAR PHYSIOLOGY OF EPISODIC ATAXIAJames Maylie; Fiscal Year: 2006..and episodic attacks of generalized ataxia that are diminished by carbonic anhydrase inhibitors such as acetazolamide. EA1 is due to missense point mutations in KCNA1, the gene encoding the voltage-gated delayed rectifier ..
- CARBON DIOXIDE EXCHANGES IN THE LIVERSUSANNA DODGSON; Fiscal Year: 1991..intact mitochondria with substrates for citrullinogenesis plus the sulfonamide carbonic anhydrase inhibitor acetazolamide results in decreased citrulline production...
- Cognitive Enhancers Explored with PET ImagingSusan Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2003..The PET imaging will assess brain activity during a specific memory activation task, and also during an acetazolamide challenge to measure total vasodilatory capacity...
- REGULATION OF PARATHYROID HORMONE ACTION IN KIDNEYAnatole Besarab; Fiscal Year: 1980..H ion secretion, and adenylate cyclase will be studied by administrating a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor, acetazolamide, or PTH to kidneys perfused either in the presence of bicarbonate or its absence when hydrogen ion secretion ..
- 122I GENERATOR AND RADIOTRACERS FOR PERFUSION STUDIESThomas Budinger; Fiscal Year: 1999..g., dipyridamole and acetazolamide, respectively) is a clinically important procedure for the efficient care of patients with vascular diseases...
- PLAN FOR TRIAL OF DICHLORPHENAMIDE IN PERIODIC PARALYSISROBERT GRIGGS; Fiscal Year: 2001..multicenter randomized controlled vials that will test the hypotheses that (1) dichlorphenamide (DCP) and acetazolamide (ACZ) will decrease attacks of weakness in hypokalemic periodic paralysis (hypoKPP); and hyperkalemic periodic ..
- ANTICONVULSANT & TOLERANCE MECHANISMS OF ACETAZOLAMIDESIENYAO CHOW; Fiscal Year: 1992..Acute and chronic treatment with acetazolamide (a specific CA enzyme inhibitor) results in increased enzyme activity and increased amounts of CA in cells...
- Dichlorphenamide vs Acetazolamide for Periodic ParalysisRobert C Griggs; Fiscal Year: 2010..This grant was awarded because the carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (CAI) acetazolamide (ACZ) and dichlorphenamide (DCP) have been used in the periodic paralyses (PP) for many years but there is ..
- FLUOROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION--AQUEOUS HUMOR DYNAMICSMICHAEL YABLONSKI; Fiscal Year: 1992..A basic assumption of the fluorophotometric method, that acetazolamide and timolol do not affect uveoscleral outflow and episcleral venous pressure will also be tested...
- Cadmium Teratogenesis to murine strains proteomicsMichael Collins; Fiscal Year: 2003..to cause this specific malformation, including some prominent teratogens such as all-trans-retinoic acid, acetazolamide, hyperthermia, and ethanol, it is a goal of this research to determine some fundamental aspects of gene-..
- METABOLIC AND HOMEOSTATIC MECHANISMS IN RETINA AND RPEBarry Winkler; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., diamox) which have been reported to decrease retinal edema. A long-term goal of the second project is to understand better the nature of the interactions between the retina and RPE and factors regulating retinal detachment. ..
- NEUROIMAGING AND STROKE REHABILITATION PROGNOSISJames Mountz; Fiscal Year: 1999..on recovery will be determined via Tc-99m HMPAO SPECT measures of resting r-CBF and r-CBF reactivity to acetazolamide stress...
- Renal and Systemic pH Imaging by Contrast-Enhanced MRINatarajan Raghunand; Fiscal Year: 2004..0-7.4 in other regions of the kidneys, in control mice. pH images of an acetazolamide-treated mouse showed an increase of 0.5-1...
- NMR Measurement of Perfusion in Skeletal Muscle & BrainKenneth Marro; Fiscal Year: 2004..sensitivity for an important clinical application: the ability to monitor cerebrovascular reserve during the acetazolamide challenge...
- Quantitative Occlusive Vascular Disease Study, QUOVADISFernando Boada; Fiscal Year: 2009..oxygen extraction fraction (OEF) and cerebral metabolic rate for oxygen (CMRO2) before and after 15 mg/kg acetazolamide to obtain CVR and the oxygen extraction fraction response (OEFR)...
- HOMEOSTATIC ABILITY OF THE RETINAL PIGMENT EPITHELIUMSheldon Miller; Fiscal Year: 2000..For example, epinephrine is a potent stimulator of transepithelial fluid absorption (in vitro) and acetazolamide has been apparently successful in increasing fluid absorption from the subretinal space of patients with ..
- INTERACTION BETWEEN RETINA AND PIGMENT EPITHELIUMMichael Marmor; Fiscal Year: 1993..also study RPE transport systems which affect subretinal fluid, with particular attention to agents such as acetazolamide and cyclic nucleotides, which may enhance subretinal fluid removal...
- Red Blood Cells, Nitric Oxide and Pulmonary CirculationSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- Advanced NeuroImaging for Acute Stroke TreatmentMax Wintermark; Fiscal Year: 2007..Invited junior scientists, for whom funding is requested, were selected based on merit. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sleep Apnea: Determinants and ConsequencesM Badr; Fiscal Year: 2008..The work environment is outstanding and the institutional commitment is superb. ..
- Central Sleep Apnea: Determinants of ConsequencesM Badr; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed protocols are likely to yield critical insight into the pathogenesis of breathing instability during sleep and may point toward effective pharmacologic therapy for sleep apnea. ..
- Axon Plasticity and Recovery of Function after Traumatic Brain InjuryNeil Harris; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Perfusion MRI for multisite studies of brain functionJohn A Detre; Fiscal Year: 2010..The resulting technology will be made available to the biomedical community as a research product. ..
- Pathobiology of Retinal Vasculopathy with Cerebal Leukodystrophy (RVCL)Joanna C Jen; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Genetics of Familial Episodic AtaxiaJoanna C Jen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Insights gained from the study will lead to improved diagnosis and treatment of familial episodic ataxia and the more common episodic vertigo syndromes. ..
- Nitogen reduction and xenobiotic responseLauren A Trepanier; Fiscal Year: 2010..The ultimate goal of these studies is to find better ways to prevent these adverse reactions. ..
- THE GENETIC & FUNCTIONAL ANATOMICAL BASIS OF HGPPSJoanna Jen; Fiscal Year: 2009..Understanding the anatomical and molecular basis of HGPPS will provide insight into the genetically programmed neurodevelopment of the conjugate horizontal gaze center and other cranial nuclei in the brainstem. ..
- CSF AND THE CENTRAL CHEMICAL CONTROL OF BREATHINGEugene Nattie; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- DIZZINESS IN OLDER PEOPLERobert Baloh; Fiscal Year: 2006..By continuing this longitudinal study of carefully studied older patients and controls, our multidisciplinary research team is in a good position to achieve our goals. ..
- Volume Regulatory Pathways in Cystic Fibrosis MiceWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- PHYSIOLOGY & PATHOPHYSIOLOGY OF ACTIVATION FLOW COUPLINGJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will provide further insight into the parameters affecting the AFC response, and will suggest approaches for optimizing and interpreting functional imaging data. ..
- PH REGULATION IN VENTRICULAR CELLSKENNETH SPITZER; Fiscal Year: 2002..The results of this project will yield new information concerning hormonal modulation of cardiac pHi control systems and the action of intracellular and intercellular H+ diffusion to dissipate regional pHi gradients. ..
- MUTATIONS IN CALCIUM CHANNELS CAUSING VERTIGO AND ATAXIAJoanna Jen; Fiscal Year: 2002..The basis of therapeutic response to acetazolamide will also be studied...
- HYPOXIC PULMONARY VASOCANSTRICTION AND RED BLOOD CELLSSteven Deem; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- EARLY DETECTION: HETEROTOPIC OSSIFICATION IN CNS INJURYJames Mountz; Fiscal Year: 2001..Future early drug therapy protocols can be monitored for efficacy using these early physiologic predictors of HO formation, when the process is in a reversible stage. ..
- REGULATION OF COLONIC H-K-ATPASE IN THE KIDNEYManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..associated with increased delivery of HCO3- to the distal tubule but different states of acid-base balance: acetazolamide (acidosis), chloride depletion (alkalosis), and NaHCO3 loading (normal); and b) in potassium depletion...
- MRI OF STRUCTURE/FUNCTION IN TEMPORAL LOBE EPILEPSYJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2003..Validation of an fMRI protocol for assessing memory function will improve the safety and quality of the preoperative assessment for temporal lobectomy, and may have important implications for neurosurgical planning and prognosis. ..
- BILIARY SECRETORY PATHWAYS IN CYSTIC FIBROSISWon Kyoo Cho; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Apical CI/OH-/HCO3-exchanger in kidney and GI tractManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2007..They should further facilitate future investigations into the role of this transporter in pathophysiologic states affecting electrolyte and acid-base homeostasis. ..
- Diseases of the Vestibular SystemRobert Baloh; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- International Conference on Episodic Ataxia SyndromesJoanna Jen; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Structural Aspects of Bicarbonate Transport MetabolonsPeter Piermarini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The proposed study will provide key details on the finer mechanisms of renal HCO3 transport, which will provide a better understanding of the physiology and importance of the studied proteins to kidney function. ..
- Polyamine metabolism in heart and kidney ischemic injuryManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Perfusion fMRI in Cocaine AddictionJohn Detre; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- COGNITIVE AND CEREBROVASCULAR SEQUELAE OF HYPERTENSIONJ Jennings; Fiscal Year: 2004..mediated vasodilation probe and centrally via testing for cerebrovascular reserve with the administration of acetazolamide (Diainox)...
- MECHANISMS OF RENAL IMPAIRMENT IN HYPERCHOLESTEROLEMIALilach Lerman; Fiscal Year: 2003..Aim # 4 is to characterize intrarenal morphology in the HC pig model using 3-d x-ray micro-CT of microfil vascular casts and conventional light microscopy histology of tissue sections. ..
- CHARACTERIZATION OF NA-DEPENDENT HCO3-TRANSPORTERSManoocher Soleimani; Fiscal Year: 2001..Insight into regulation and gene structure of Na-coupled HCO3 transporters should enhance our knowledge on cell regulation and acid-base homeostasis. ..