Genomes and Genes
Summary: A carbamate derivative used as an alcohol deterrent. It is a relatively nontoxic substance when administered alone, but markedly alters the intermediary metabolism of alcohol. When alcohol is ingested after administration of disulfiram, blood acetaldehyde concentrations are increased, followed by flushing, systemic vasodilation, respiratory difficulties, nausea, hypotension, and other symptoms (acetaldehyde syndrome). It acts by inhibiting aldehyde dehydrogenase.
Publications243 found, 100 shown here
- Disulfiram is a potent in vitro inhibitor of DNA topoisomerasesJ S Yakisich
Applied Biochemistry, Clinical Research Center, Karolinska Institute, Novum, Huddinge University Hospital, S 141 86 Huddinge, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:586-90. 2001The drug disulfiram is a thiol-reacting drug that is relatively nontoxic when used alone and has been used in the therapy of alcohol abuse for more than 40 years...
- Disulfiram, a clinically used anti-alcoholism drug and copper-binding agent, induces apoptotic cell death in breast cancer cultures and xenografts via inhibition of the proteasome activityDi Chen
The Prevention Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 66:10425-33. 2006b>Disulfiram (DSF), a member of the dithiocarbamate family capable of binding copper and an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase, is currently being used clinically for the treatment of alcoholism...
- An open randomized study comparing disulfiram and acamprosate in the treatment of alcohol dependenceAvinash De Sousa
Get Well Clinic and Nursing Home, 33rd Road, Off Linking Road, Bandra, Mumbai 400050, Maharashtra State, India
Alcohol Alcohol 40:545-8. 2005To compare the efficacy of acamprosate (ACP) and disulfiram (DSF) for preventing alcoholic relapse in routine clinical practice.
- A one-year pragmatic trial of naltrexone vs disulfiram in the treatment of alcohol dependenceAlan de Sousa
Get Well Clinic and Nursing Home, 33rd Road, Off Linking Road, Bandra, Mumbai 400050, India
Alcohol Alcohol 39:528-31. 2004To compare the efficacy of naltrexone and disulfiram in preventing an alcoholic relapse in routine clinical practice in an Indian metropolis.
- Inhibition of invasion and angiogenesis by zinc-chelating agent disulfiramShine Gwo Shian
National Health Research Institute, Taipei 115, Taiwan
Mol Pharmacol 64:1076-84. 2003..b>Disulfiram is frequently used in the treatment of alcoholism and has been reported to possess antiretroviral activity and ..
- Disulfiram reactivates latent HIV-1 in a Bcl-2-transduced primary CD4+ T cell model without inducing global T cell activationSifei Xing
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 720 Rutland Ave, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
J Virol 85:6060-4. 2011..Here we demonstrate in a primary CD4(+) T cell model that the FDA-approved drug disulfiram reactivates latent HIV-1 without global T cell activation...
- Cytotoxic effect of disulfiram/copper on human glioblastoma cell lines and ALDH-positive cancer-stem-like cellsP Liu
Research Institute in Healthcare Science, School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton, UK
Br J Cancer 107:1488-97. 2012..Cancer stem cells (CSCs) are a key mediator of chemoresistance. We have reported that disulfiram (DS), an aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) inhibitor, targets breast CSC-like cells...
- Disulfiram, a drug widely used to control alcoholism, suppresses the self-renewal of glioblastoma and over-rides resistance to temozolomideJoanna Triscott
Department of Pediatrics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
Oncotarget 3:1112-23. 2012..In this study, we addressed the potential of repurposing disulfiram (DSF), a drug widely used to control alcoholism for the past six decades...
- High-throughput chemical screens identify disulfiram as an inhibitor of human glioblastoma stem cellsParvinder Hothi
The Ben and Catherine Ivy Center for Advanced Brain Tumor Treatment, Swedish Neuroscience Institute, Seattle, WA, USA
Oncotarget 3:1124-36. 2012..In particular, the FDA approved drug for the treatment of alcoholism, disulfiram (DSF), was significantly potent across multiple patient samples (IC50 of 31.1 nM)...
- Disulfiram-mediated inhibition of NF-kappaB activity enhances cytotoxicity of 5-fluorouracil in human colorectal cancer cell linesWeiguang Wang
Department of Medicine and Therapeutics, Institute of Medical Sciences, University of Aberdeen, Foresterhill, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Int J Cancer 104:504-11. 2003..5-FU treatment did not influence the activities of AP-1, AP-2, Oct-1, SP-1, CRE-B and TFIID. Disulfiram (DS), a clinically used anti-alcoholism drug, strongly inhibited constitutive and 5-FU-induced NF-kappaB ..
- Disulfiram modulated ROS-MAPK and NFκB pathways and targeted breast cancer cells with cancer stem cell-like propertiesN C Yip
Research Institute in Healthcare Science, School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton WV1 1LY, UK
Br J Cancer 104:1564-74. 2011Previous studies indicate that disulfiram (DS), an anti-alcoholism drug, is cytotoxic to cancer cell lines and reverses anticancer drug resistance...
- Anxiogenic and stress-inducing effects of peripherally administered acetaldehyde in mice: similarities with the disulfiram-ethanol reactionMiguel A Escrig
Area de Psicobiologia, Universitat Jaume I, Castello, Spain
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100:404-12. 2012..with an isoform of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH2) less active, are the basis for treating alcoholics with disulfiram, an ALDH inhibitor...
- Efficacy of disulfiram and cognitive behavior therapy in cocaine-dependent outpatients: a randomized placebo-controlled trialKathleen M Carroll
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 61:264-72. 2004b>Disulfiram has emerged as a promising treatment for cocaine dependence, but it has not yet been evaluated in general populations of cocaine users.
- Disulfiram treatment facilitates phosphoinositide 3-kinase inhibition in human breast cancer cells in vitro and in vivoHaijun Zhang
Department of Pathology and Biostatistics Core, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, Department of Internal Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Cancer Res 70:3996-4004. 2010..In this study, we showed that in the presence of copper (Cu), disulfiram (DSF), a clinically used antialcoholism drug, could potently inhibit breast cancer cell growth regardless of the ..
- Disulfiram facilitates intracellular Cu uptake and induces apoptosis in human melanoma cellsDazhi Cen
Department of Medicine, University of California Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697 2025, USA
J Med Chem 47:6914-20. 2004The alcohol-abuse deterrent disulfiram (DSF) is shown to have a highly selective toxicity against melanoma in culture, inducing a largely apoptotic response, with much lower toxicity against several other cell lines...
- The enzymatic activity of human aldehyde dehydrogenases 1A2 and 2 (ALDH1A2 and ALDH2) is detected by Aldefluor, inhibited by diethylaminobenzaldehyde and has significant effects on cell proliferation and drug resistanceJan S Moreb
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, United States
Chem Biol Interact 195:52-60. 2012..In order to study the specificity of known ALDH activity inhibitors, DEAB and disulfiram, we incubated each cell line with either inhibitor and measured the remaining ALDH enzymatic activity...
- Disulfiram is a DNA demethylating agent and inhibits prostate cancer cell growthJianqing Lin
Chemical Therapeutics Program, The Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Prostate 71:333-43. 2011..Because DNMT catalysis features attack of cytosine bases by an enzyme thiol group, we tested whether disulfiram (DSF), a thiol-reactive compound with known clinical safety, demonstrated DNMT inhibitory activity.
- Disulfiram/copper complex inhibiting NFkappaB activity and potentiating cytotoxic effect of gemcitabine on colon and breast cancer cell linesXiaoxia Guo
Research Institute in Healthcare Science, University of Wolverhampton, UK
Cancer Lett 290:104-13. 2010..The NFkappaB activity can be induced by dFdC and 5-FU exposure. The chemosensitizing effect of disulfiram (DS), an anti-alcoholism drug and NFkappaB inhibitor, and copper (Cu) on the chemoresistant cell lines was ..
- Disulfiram reactivates latent HIV-1 expression through depletion of the phosphatase and tensin homologGeneviève Doyon
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
AIDS 27:F7-F11. 2013b>Disulfiram (DSF), an inhibitor of acetaldehyde dehydrogenase that is used for the treatment of alcoholism, was shown to reactivate latent HIV-1 expression in a primary cell model of virus latency and is currently being assessed in a ..
- Inhibition of proteasome activity, nuclear factor-KappaB translocation and cell survival by the antialcoholism drug disulfiramHenrik Lövborg
Department of Medical Sciences, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, University Hospital, Uppsala University, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden
Int J Cancer 118:1577-80. 2006..Here, we identify the antialcoholism drug disulfiram and its analogue pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC) as inhibitors of the 26S proteasome activity in a cell-based ..
- The efficacy of disulfiram for the treatment of alcohol use disorderCharlotte H Jørgensen
WHO Collaborating Centre for Evidence Based Health Promotion in Hospitals and Health Services, Bispebjerg Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 35:1749-58. 2011..The aim of this study was to review the effect of disulfiram in the treatment of patients with AUD...
- Disulfiram suppresses invasive ability of osteosarcoma cells via the inhibition of MMP-2 and MMP-9 expressionHyun Ji Cho
Department of Medicine, Catholic University of Daegu School of Medicine, Daegu 705 718, Korea
J Biochem Mol Biol 40:1069-76. 2007..In this study, we reported the effects of disulfiram, a clinically used anti-alcoholism drug, on tumor invasion suppression, as well as its effects on the activity ..
- Disulfiram inhibits activating transcription factor/cyclic AMP-responsive element binding protein and human melanoma growth in a metal-dependent manner in vitro, in mice and in a patient with metastatic diseaseSukhdev S Brar
Cannon Research Center, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 3:1049-60. 2004The thiocarbamate alcoholism drug disulfiram blocks the P-glycoprotein extrusion pump, inhibits the transcription factor nuclear factor-kappaB, sensitizes tumors to chemotherapy, reduces angiogenesis, and inhibits tumor growth in mice...
- Disulfiram, an old drug with new potential therapeutic uses for human cancers and fungal infectionsZuben E Sauna
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 4256, USA
Mol Biosyst 1:127-34. 2005b>Disulfiram, a drug used to treat alcoholism, has recently been indicated to play a primary as well as an adjuvant role in the treatment of many cancers and in the reversal of fungal drug-resistance...
- A randomized, multicentre, open-label, comparative trial of disulfiram, naltrexone and acamprosate in the treatment of alcohol dependenceE Laaksonen
University of Turku and Turku Health Centre, Finland
Alcohol Alcohol 43:53-61. 2008To compare the effects in alcohol-dependent patients of three pharmacotherapies, disulfiram (DIS), naltrexone (NTX), and acamprosate (ACA), when used with a brief manual-based cognitive-behavioural intervention.
- Disulfiram/copper complex activated JNK/c-jun pathway and sensitized cytotoxicity of doxorubicin in doxorubicin resistant leukemia HL60 cellsBing Xu
Department of Hematology, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, PR China
Blood Cells Mol Dis 47:264-9. 2011..In this study, we demonstrated that the disulfiram/copper (DS/Cu) complex alone exhibited cytotoxicity to doxorubicin (Dox) resistant leukemia HL60 cells (HL60/Dox)..
- High-throughput screen identifies disulfiram as a potential therapeutic for triple-negative breast cancer cells: interaction with IQ motif-containing factorsTyler J W Robinson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology University of Toronto Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Cell Cycle 12:3013-24. 2013..Here we describe the identification of disulfiram, an FDA-approved drug used to treat alcoholism, as well as the related compound thiram, as the most potent ..
- Disulfiram induces apoptosis in human melanoma cells: a redox-related processDazhi Cen
Department of Medicine, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, College of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, 101 City Drive South, Building 23, Suite 403, Orange, CA 92868, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:197-204. 2002..We have currently explored the effect of disulfiram (DSF), a member of the dithiocarbamate family, on apoptosis of melanoma cells in vitro...
- In vitro search for synergy and antagonism: evaluation of docetaxel combinations in breast cancer cell linesDaniel R Budman
Don Monti Division of Oncology, North Shore University Hospital, New York University School of Medicine, Manhasset 11030, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 74:41-6. 2002..study which were identified included docetaxel with vinorelbine, docetaxel with dexrazoxane, docetaxel with cis-retinoic acid, docetaxel with disulfiram and either doxorubicin or epirubicin, and docetaxel with dexrazoxane and epirubicin.
- The role of copper in disulfiram-induced toxicity and radiosensitization of cancer cellsColin Rae
Radiation Oncology, Institute of Cancer Sciences, Cancer Research United Kingdom Beatson Laboratories, Glasgow, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, United Kingdom
J Nucl Med 54:953-60. 2013b>Disulfiram has been used for several decades in the treatment of alcoholism. It now shows promise as an anticancer drug and radiosensitizer...
- Chemical biology drug sensitivity screen identifies sunitinib as synergistic agent with disulfiram in prostate cancer cellsKirsi Ketola
VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, and Turku Centre for Biotechnology, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
PLoS ONE 7:e51470. 2012..screen covering most known drugs and drug-like molecules indicated that aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor disulfiram is one of the most potent cancer-specific inhibitors of prostate cancer cell growth, including TMPRSS2-ERG ..
- Disulfiram targets cancer stem-like cells and reverses resistance and cross-resistance in acquired paclitaxel-resistant triple-negative breast cancer cellsP Liu
Research Institute in Healthcare Science, School of Applied Sciences, University of Wolverhampton, Wolverhampton WV1 1LY, UK
Br J Cancer 109:1876-85. 2013..Investigation of the mechanisms and development of new drugs to target pan-chemoresistance will potentially improve the therapeutic outcomes of TNBC patients...
- Targeting malignancies with disulfiram (Antabuse): multidrug resistance, angiogenesis, and proteasomeB Cvek
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, Palacky University, Slechtitelu 11, 78371 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 11:332-7. 2011An old drug, Antabuse (disulfiram), used for decades in alcohol aversion therapy, and its metabolite Ditiocarb were shown from 1970s to suppress cancer growth in vivo and even in human patients...
- Matrix metalloproteinase-2 and -9 in glioblastoma: a trio of old drugs-captopril, disulfiram and nelfinavir-are inhibitors with potential as adjunctive treatments in glioblastomaRichard E Kast
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vermont, Burlington, USA
Arch Med Res 43:243-7. 2012..Two other drugs, the aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor disulfiram used to treat alcoholism and the anti-HIV protease inhibitor nelfinavir also have a database supporting their ..
- Nonprofit drugs as the salvation of the world's healthcare systems: the case of Antabuse (disulfiram)Boris Cvek
Department of Cell Biology and Genetics Palacky University, Slechtitelu 11, Olomouc 78371, Czech Republic
Drug Discov Today 17:409-12. 2012..Evidence supports the use the old anti-alcoholic drug Antabuse as a new nonprofit drug for cancer...
- Does disulfiram have a role in alcoholism treatment today?Richard K Fuller
Addiction 99:21-4. 2004
- Short-term efficacy of Disulfiram or Naltrexone in reducing positive urinalysis for both cocaine and cocaethylene in cocaine abusers: a pilot studyMaria Caterina Grassi
Department of Human Physiology and Pharmacology V Erspamer, University of Rome La Sapienza, Piazzale Aldo Moro, 5, Rome 00185, Italy
Pharmacol Res 55:117-21. 2007..subjects co-abusers of cocaine and alcohol, evaluates the efficacy of a 12-week pharmacological treatment with Disulfiram (DIS) 400mg daily or Naltrexone (NTX) 50mg daily associated with Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT), as compared ..
- A double blind, placebo-controlled trial that combines disulfiram and naltrexone for treating co-occurring cocaine and alcohol dependenceHelen M Pettinati
Center for the Study of Addictions, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Addict Behav 33:651-67. 2008This is a double blind, placebo-controlled trial that evaluated the efficacy of disulfiram, naltrexone and their combination in patients with co-occurring cocaine and alcohol dependence.
- One-year follow-up of disulfiram and psychotherapy for cocaine-alcohol users: sustained effects of treatmentK M Carroll
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, USA
Addiction 95:1335-49. 2000..To evaluate outcomes 1 year after cessation of treatment for cocaine- and alcohol-dependent individuals...
- Disulfiram effects on responses to intravenous cocaine administrationJennifer R Baker
Virginia Commonwealth University, Division of Addiction Psychiatry, P O Box 980109, Richmond, VA 23219, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 87:202-9. 2007b>Disulfiram has been studied as a treatment for cocaine dependence. We report results of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, within-subject study to examine the interaction of disulfiram with intravenous cocaine.
- Protective effect of N-acetyl-L-cysteine against disulfiram-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in V79 cellsEmilia Grosicka-Maciąg
Department of Biochemistry, Medical University of Warsaw, 02 097 Warszawa, Banacha 1, Poland
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 248:210-6. 2010This work investigated the effect of N-acetyl-L-cysteine (NAC) on disulfiram (DSF) induced oxidative stress in Chinese hamster fibroblast cells (V79)...
- Sex differences in cocaine-dependent individuals' response to disulfiram treatmentCharla Nich
Yale University School of Medicine, VA Connecticut Health Care System, West Haven, USA
Addict Behav 29:1123-8. 2004The objective of this study is to evaluate differential response to disulfiram treatment of cocaine dependence by sex...
- Disulfiram enhances subjective effects of dextroamphetamine in humansMehmet Sofuoglu
Yale University, Department of Psychiatry, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, 950 Campbell Ave, Bldg 36 116A4, West Haven, CT 06516, United States
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 90:394-8. 2008b>Disulfiram has shown promise in several clinical trials for cocaine addiction, but its potential utility in the treatment of amphetamine addiction has not been examined...
- High-throughput cell-based screening of 4910 known drugs and drug-like small molecules identifies disulfiram as an inhibitor of prostate cancer cell growthKristiina Iljin
Medical Biotechnology, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland, Turku, Finland
Clin Cancer Res 15:6070-8. 2009....
- N,N-diethyldithiocarbamate produces copper accumulation, lipid peroxidation, and myelin injury in rat peripheral nerveElizabeth G Tonkin
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee 37232 2561, USA
Toxicol Sci 81:160-71. 2004Previous studies have demonstrated the ability of the dithiocarbamate, disulfiram, to produce a peripheral neuropathy in humans and experimental animals and have also provided evidence that N,N-diethyldithiocarbamate (DEDC) is a proximate ..
- Why is disulfiram superior to acamprosate in the routine clinical setting? A retrospective long-term study in 353 alcohol-dependent patientsAlexander Diehl
Department of Psychiatry, Klinikum Braunschweig, Braunschweig, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 45:271-7. 2010To compare the long-term effectiveness of acamprosate (ACP) and disulfiram (DSF) in the treatment of alcohol dependence and their effectiveness in regard to patient characteristics, within a naturalistic outpatient treatment setting.
- Disulfiram is a potent modulator of multidrug transporter Cdr1p of Candida albicansSuneet Shukla
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4256, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 322:520-5. 2004To find novel drugs for effective antifungal therapy in candidiasis, we examined disulfiram, a drug used for the treatment of alcoholism, for its role as a potential modulator of Candida multidrug transporter Cdr1p...
- Disulfiram attenuates drug-primed reinstatement of cocaine seeking via inhibition of dopamine β-hydroxylaseJason P Schroeder
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 35:2440-9. 2010The antialcoholism medication disulfiram (Antabuse) inhibits aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH), which results in the accumulation of acetaldehyde upon ethanol ingestion and produces the aversive 'Antabuse reaction' that deters alcohol ..
- Medications for treating alcohol dependenceSteven H Williams
Psychology Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Lebanon, Pennsylvania 17042, USA
Am Fam Physician 72:1775-80. 2005..for treating alcohol dependence primarily have been adjunctive interventions, and only three medications--disulfiram, naltrexone, and acamprosate--are approved for this indication by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration...
- Comparison of disulfiram and placebo in treatment of alcohol dependence of adolescentsHelmut Niederhofer
Christian Doppler Clinic, A 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Drug Alcohol Rev 22:295-7. 2003About 50% of alcoholic patients relapse within 3 months of treatment. Previous studies have suggested that disulfiram may help to prevent such relapse...
- Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase plays important role in immune responseMoshe Marikovsky
Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural, Food, and Environmental Quality Sciences, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
J Immunol 170:2993-3001. 2003..b>Disulfiram (DSF), an inhibitor of SOD-1, strongly inhibited the release of TNF-alpha, vascular endothelial growth factor, ..
- The value of proteasome inhibition in cancer. Can the old drug, disulfiram, have a bright new future as a novel proteasome inhibitor?Boris Cvek
Department of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry at Palacky University, Hnevotinska 3, Olomouc 77515, Czech Republic
Drug Discov Today 13:716-22. 2008..Recent studies have disclosed a surprising, but mechanistically consistent, anticancer activity of disulfiram (antabuse), a drug used for about 50 years in the treatment of alcoholism...
- Suppressing glioblastoma stem cell function by aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibition with chloramphenicol or disulfiram as a new treatment adjunct: an hypothesisRichard E Kast
University of Vermont, 2 Church Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 4:314-7. 2009..have three old yet potent aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitors on the market- chloral hydrate, chloramphenicol, and disulfiram- they should be investigated as adjuncts in glioblastoma chemotherapy...
- Disulfiram induces copper-dependent stimulation of reactive oxygen species and activation of the extrinsic apoptotic pathway in melanomaBrian W Morrison
The Ronald O Perelman Department of Dermatology, New York University School of Medicine, New York 10016, USA
Melanoma Res 20:11-20. 2010..b>Disulfiram (DSF) was identified using a drug screen as one of the several compounds that preferentially decreased ..
- Cu/Zn superoxide dismutase plays a role in angiogenesisMoshe Marikovsky
Department of Animal Sciences, Faculty of Agriculture, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Rehovot, Israel
Int J Cancer 97:34-41. 2002..Oral administration of disulfiram (DSF), an inhibitor of SOD-1, inhibited angiogenesis in Tg-SOD mice as well as in CD1 nude mice...
- Norepinephrine signaling through beta-adrenergic receptors is critical for expression of cocaine-induced anxietyJesse R Schank
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Biol Psychiatry 63:1007-12. 2008..While the mechanisms underlying cocaine's rewarding effects have been studied extensively, less attention has been paid to the unpleasant behavioral states induced by cocaine, such as anxiety...
- The status of disulfiram: a half of a century laterJesse J Suh
Treatment Research Center, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 26:290-302. 2006For more than 55 years, disulfiram has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of alcohol dependence. It is a unique medication that relies on "psychological threat" to avoid disulfiram-ethanol reactions...
- Disulfiram facilitates the development and expression of locomotor sensitization to cocaine in ratsColin N Haile
Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Biol Psychiatry 54:915-21. 2003b>Disulfiram (DS; Antabuse) inhibits dopamine-beta-hydroxylase leading to increased brain dopamine levels and shows treatment efficacy for cocaine addiction. Yet few preclinical studies have been performed...
- The disulfiram metabolites S-methyl-N,N-diethyldithiocarbamoyl sulfoxide and S-methyl-N,N-diethylthiocarbamoyl sulfone irreversibly inactivate betaine aldehyde dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas aeruginosa, both in vitro and in situ, and arrest bacterial growVíctor J Zaldívar-Machorro
Departamento de Bioquimica, Facultad de Quimica, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Mexico D F 04510, Mexico
Biochimie 93:286-95. 2011..We tested the thiol reagents, disulfiram (DSF) and five DSF metabolites-diethyldithiocarbamic acid (DDC), S-methyl-N,N-diethyldithiocarbamoyl sulfoxide (..
- Randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled trial of disulfiram for the treatment of cocaine dependence in methadone-stabilized patientsAlison Oliveto
Psychiatry Dept, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Slot 843, 4301 W Markham St, Little Rock, AR 72205, USA
Drug Alcohol Depend 113:184-91. 2011This study examined the dose-related efficacy of disulfiram for treating cocaine dependence in methadone-stabilized cocaine dependent participants.
- The molecular basis of the action of disulfiram as a modulator of the multidrug resistance-linked ATP binding cassette transporters MDR1 (ABCB1) and MRP1 (ABCC1)Zuben E Sauna
Laboratory of Cell Biology, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 4254, USA
Mol Pharmacol 65:675-84. 2004..A recent study suggested that disulfiram, a drug used to treat alcoholism, might act as a modulator of P-glycoprotein...
- Ritonavir and disulfiram may be synergistic in lowering active interleukin-18 levels in acute pancreatitis, and thereby hasten recoveryRichard Eric Kast
JOP 9:350-3. 2008..The alcoholism treatment drug disulfiram has been in continuous use since the 1950s. It likewise has a low risk profile...
- Pharmacodynamic study of disulfiram in men with non-metastatic recurrent prostate cancerM T Schweizer
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, MD, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 16:357-61. 2013Preclinical drug screens identified disulfiram as a potent in vitro inhibitor of prostate cancer (PCa) cell growth...
- Disulfiram neuropathy: two cases of distal axonopathyMassimiliano Filosto
University Hospital Spedali Civili, Brescia, Italy
Clin Toxicol (Phila) 46:314-6. 2008b>Disulfiram may cause a peripheral neuropathy that is considered dose- and duration-of-exposure-related...
- Pharmacogenetic randomized trial for cocaine abuse: disulfiram and dopamine β-hydroxylaseThomas R Kosten
Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine, and Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Biol Psychiatry 73:219-24. 2013b>Disulfiram has been an effective cocaine addiction pharmacotherapy, and one of its possible mechanisms of efficacy is through copper chelation and inhibition of an enzyme involved in catecholamine metabolism, dopamine β-hydroxylase (DβH)..
- mechanisms of disulfiram-induced cocaine abstinence: antabuse and cocaine relapseMeriem Gaval-Cruz
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University School of Medicine, Whitehead 301, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Interv 9:175-87. 2009The anti-alcoholism drug disulfiram (Antabuse), which is an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase, induces an aversive reaction to alcohol consumption and thereby helps patients reduce alcohol intake...
- Pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluation of the anti-cataract effect of eye drops containing disulfiram and low-substituted methylcellulose using ICR/f rats as a hereditary cataract modelNoriaki Nagai
Faculty of Pharmacy, Kinki University, Osaka, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 35:239-45. 2012We attempted to develop anti-cataract eye drops using disulfiram (DSF) and low-substituted methylcellulose (MC), and evaluated their anti-cataract effect in terms of the lens opacification vs...
- Disulfiram, cocaine, and alcohol: two outcomes for the price of one?Michael Gossop
Alcohol Alcohol 41:119-20. 2006
- Disulfiram, an option for the treatment of pathological gambling?Jochen Mutschler
Department of Addictive Behavior and Addiction Medicine, Central Institute of Mental Health, University of Heidelberg, Square J 5 68159 Mannheim, Germany
Alcohol Alcohol 45:214-6. 2010Pathological gambling and comorbid alcohol dependence often occur in combination. Disulfiram is one of the proven drugs for alcohol dependence...
- Systemic contact dermatitisNiels K Veien
Dermatology Clinic, Vesterbro 99, Aalborg, Denmark
Int J Dermatol 50:1445-56. 2011..For some haptens, such as nickel, diet treatment may be effective. Chelation therapy with disulfiram is another therapeutic option in nickel-allergic patients with systemic contact dermatitis...
- Disulfiram in severe alcoholism--an open controlled studyJakob Ulrichsen
Psychiatric Center Gentofte, Copenhagen University Hospitals, Denmark
Nord J Psychiatry 64:356-62. 2010b>Disulfiram is used to a great extent in Denmark to treat alcoholism but the evidence is limited.
- Disulfiram is a direct and potent inhibitor of human O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) in brain tumor cells and mouse brain and markedly increases the alkylating DNA damageAmeya Paranjpe
Department of Biomedical Sciences and
Carcinogenesis 35:692-702. 2014The alcohol aversion drug disulfiram (DSF) reacts and conjugates with the protein-bound nucleophilic cysteines and is known to elicit anticancer effects alone or improve the efficacy of many cancer drugs...
- Enhancement of cisplatin cytotoxicity by disulfiram involves activating transcription factor 3Anna O'Brien
Centre for Cancer Therapeutics, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, 501 Smyth Road, Box 926, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8L6, Canada
Anticancer Res 32:2679-88. 2012..Activating transcription factor 3 (ATF3), a stress-inducible gene, is a regulator of cisplatin-induced cytotoxicity, and enhancement of the ATF3 expression potentiates this cytotoxicity...
- Quantification of breath carbon disulphide and acetone following a single dose of disulfiram (Antabuse) using selected ion flow tube mass spectrometry (SIFT-MS)Roger N Bloor
Academic Psychiatry Unit, Keele University Medical School, Academic Suite, Harplands Hospital, UK
Addict Biol 11:163-9. 2006..of both carbon disulphide and acetone in exhaled breath following the ingestion of a single dose of disulfiram (Antabuse)...
- Learning the language of abstinence in addiction treatment: some similarities between relapse-prevention with disulfiram, naltrexone, and other pharmacological antagonists and intensive "immersion" methods of foreign language teachingColin Brewer
The Stapleford Centre, London, United Kingdom
Subst Abus 24:157-73. 2003..It resembles exposure and response-prevention for phobic or compulsive disorders. Supervised disulfiram aids RP by discouraging alcoholics from responding to real-life drinking cues in the "language" of excessive ..
- Disulfiram is a potent inhibitor of rat 5-lipoxygenase activityL Y Choo
Department of Pharmacology, Merck Frosst Canada Inc, Pointe Claire Dorval, Que
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 65:2503-6. 1987The effect of disulfiram on the 5-lipoxygenase activity from rat polymorphonuclear leukocyte cell-free lysates was determined and compared with that of other thiocarbamoyl and aryl disulfides...
- Molecular targets of disulfiram action on song maturation in zebra finchesN I Denisenko-Nehrbass
College de France, U 536 INSERM, 11 Place Marcellin Berthelot, Paris 75005, France
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 87:246-50. 2001b>Disulfiram, an aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor, interferes with normal song maturation when applied to brain nucleus HVC of male zebra finches...
- Disulfiram and low nickel diet in the management of hand eczema: a clinical studyAshimav Deb Sharma
Bongaigaon, Assam, India
Indian J Dermatol Venereol Leprol 72:113-8. 2006..This is because unless the dietary intake of nickel is minimized and the existing amount of nickel in the body of the sensitized individual is depleted, long-term remission is unlikely...
- Biochemical and histopathological investigation of the protective effect of disulfiram in ischemia-induced ovary damageUnal Isaoglu
Nenehatun Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Erzurum, Turkey
Gynecol Endocrinol 28:143-7. 2012It was biochemically and histopathologically investigated whether disulfiram has protective effects on ischemia-induced ovary damage...
- Effect of chronic disulfiram administration on the activities of CYP1A2, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and N-acetyltransferase in healthy human subjectsReginald F Frye
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, 807 Salk Hall, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Br J Clin Pharmacol 53:155-62. 2002Short-term disulfiram administration has been shown to selectively inhibit CYP2E1 activity but the effects of chronic disulfiram administration on the activities of drug metabolizing enzymes is unclear...
- In vivo inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase by disulfiramJ J Lipsky
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Mayo Clinic/Foundation, 200 First Street SW, 55905, Rochester, MN, USA
Chem Biol Interact 130:93-102. 2001b>Disulfiram (DSF) has found extensive use in the aversion therapy treatment of recovering alcoholics...
- Disulfiram promotes the conversion of carcinogenic cadmium to a proteasome inhibitor with pro-apoptotic activity in human cancer cellsLihua Li
The Prevention Program, Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute, and Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 229:206-14. 2008..Recent study in our laboratory suggested that the clinically used anti-alcoholism drug disulfiram (DSF) could form a complex with tumor cellular copper, resulting in inhibition of the proteasomal chymotrypsin-..
- Disulfiram, an old drug with new potential therapeutic uses for human hematological malignanciesConcetta Conticello
Department of Experimental Oncology, Mediterranean Institute of Oncology, via Penninazzo 7, Viagrande, Italy
Int J Cancer 131:2197-203. 2012b>Disulfiram (DSF) is an aldehyde dehydrogenase inhibitor currently used for the treatment of alcoholism...
- Pharmaceutical agents known to produce disulfiram-like reaction: effects on hepatic ethanol metabolism and brain monoaminesPetros N Karamanakos
Department of Pharmacology, Medical School, University of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece
Int J Toxicol 26:423-32. 2007Several pharmaceutical agents produce ethanol intolerance, which is often depicted as disulfiram-like reaction...
- Ritonavir and disulfiram have potential to inhibit caspase-1 mediated inflammation and reduce neurological sequelae after minor blast exposureKevin Foley
Clinical Laboratory Sciences, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI 49855, USA
Med Hypotheses 72:150-2. 2009..Further research in animal models of blast injury followed by clinical studies would determine whether this therapy is effective...
- [Wernicke's encephalopathy associated with chronic disulfiram intoxication]V Charles
Service de Neurologie, Clinique Sainte Elisabeth, Bruxelles
Rev Neurol (Paris) 162:1252-6. 2006We report the case of a patient with an unusual association of Wernicke encephalopathy and chronic disulfiram intoxication.
- Disulfiram stimulates dopamine release from noradrenergic terminals and potentiates cocaine-induced dopamine release in the prefrontal cortexPaola Devoto
Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, Monserrato, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 219:1153-64. 2012b>Disulfiram efficacy in treatment of cocaine addiction is attributed to the inhibition of dopamine-β-hydroxylase and reduction in brain noradrenaline (NA)/dopamine (DA) ratio.
- [Low dose of disulfiram and l-dopa evoked synergistic modification in behavior of Wistar and WAG/Rij rats]V M Getsova
Institute of Higher Nervous Activity and Neurophysiology, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow
Zh Vyssh Nerv Deiat Im I P Pavlova 53:656-62. 2003..No behavioral differences between Wistar and WAG/Rij were found in the emotional resonance test. Disulfiram injection produced similar effects in both rat strains...
- Disulfiram inhibits defluorination of (18)F-FCWAY, reduces bone radioactivity, and enhances visualization of radioligand binding to serotonin 5-HT1A receptors in human brainYong Hoon Ryu
Molecular Imaging Branch, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
J Nucl Med 48:1154-61. 2007..We previously showed that miconazole, an inhibitor of CYP2E1, blocks defluorination of FCWAY in rats. Here, we used (18)F-FCWAY to test the ability of the less toxic agent disulfiram to inhibit defluorination in humans.
- Effects of disulfiram and dopamine beta-hydroxylase knockout on cocaine-induced seizuresMeriem Gaval-Cruz
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University, 301 Whitehead Biomedical Research Building, 615 Michael Street, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 89:556-62. 2008The antialcoholism drug disulfiram has shown recent promise as a pharmacotherapy for treating cocaine dependence, probably via inhibition of dopamine beta-hydroxylase (DBH), the enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of dopamine (DA) to ..
- Fulminant hepatitis and fatal toxic epidermal necrolysis (Lyell disease) coincident with clarithromycin administration in an alcoholic patient receiving disulfiram therapyMar Masia
Infectious Diseases Unit, Department of Internal Medicine, Hospital General Universitario de Elche, Partida Huertos y Molinos s n, 03202 Elche, Alicante, Spain
Arch Intern Med 162:474-6. 2002b>Disulfiram is widely used in the treatment of chronic alcoholism. Adverse drug reactions with fatal outcome following disulfiram therapy are infrequent, and hepatic failure accounts for most of them...
- Cost effectiveness of disulfiram: treating cocaine use in methadone-maintained patientsMireia Jofre-Bonet
ICEH London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, Room 9 311, London WC1E 7HT, UK
J Subst Abuse Treat 26:225-32. 2004Converging evidence suggests that disulfiram is a promising treatment for cocaine dependence. We study the cost-effectiveness of providing disulfiram to methadone-maintained opioid addicts in a randomized clinical trial setting...
- The use of disulfiram for alcohol-dependent patients and duration of outpatient treatmentMárcia Fonsi Elbreder
Department of Psychiatry, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 260:191-5. 2010..The objectives of this study were to analyse the use of disulfiram for alcohol-dependent patients and the immediate interruption of treatment following medication prescription...
- Disulfiram-like syndrome after hydrogen cyanamide professional skin exposure: two case reports in FranceLuc De Haro
Centre Antipoison, Hopital Salvator, Marseille, France
J Agromedicine 14:382-4. 2009..The purpose of this report is to describe two cases of a disulfiram-like syndrome following occupational exposure to hydrogen cyanamide...
- Disulfiram treatment for alcoholism in severe mental illnessKim T Mueser
Department of Psychiatry, Dartmouth Medical School, Concord, NH, USA
Am J Addict 12:242-52. 2003Controlled research has shown that supervised disulfiram is an effective treatment for alcoholism. Despite this, little is known about the effects of disulfiram in persons with alcoholism and severe mental illness...
- Potantial utility of disulfiram against leishmaniasisM R Namazi
Indian J Med Res 127:193-4. 2008
- Effects of dopamine beta-hydroxylase genotype and disulfiram inhibition on catecholamine homeostasis in miceBrooke N Bourdélat-Parks
Department of Human Genetics, Emory University School of Medicine, Whitehead 301, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 183:72-80. 2005..Dopamine beta-hydroxylase (DBH) converts dopamine (DA) to norepinephrine (NE), thus playing a critical role in catecholamine metabolism...
- Copper ions regulate cytotoxicity of disulfiram to myeloid leukemia cellsJarmila Navrátilová
Department of Experimental Biology, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University, Brno, Czech Republic
Int J Mol Med 24:661-70. 2009..the cell density-dependent induction of apoptosis of human acute myeloid leukemia U937 and ML-1 cells by disulfiram (DSF), the dithiocarbamate drug recently proposed for treatment of human cancers...
- [Pharmacology of disulfiram - an update]J Mutschler
Klinik für Abhängiges Verhalten und Suchtmedizin, Zentralinstitut fur Seelische Gesundheit, Mannheim
Fortschr Neurol Psychiatr 76:225-31. 2008Recently, we have been observing an increase in prescription of Disulfiram requiring medical knowledge concerning the overall effects, side effects and drug interactions of this substance...
- Could honey have a place in colitis therapy? Effects of honey, prednisolone, and disulfiram on inflammation, nitric oxide, and free radical formationY Bilsel
Department of General Surgery, Istanbul Medical Faculty, Istanbul, Turkey
Dig Surg 19:306-11; discussion 311-2. 2002The purpose of this study was to investigate the potential therapeutic roles of honey, prednisolone and disulfiram in an experimental model of inflammatory bowel disease...
- Disulfiram impairs the development of behavioural sensitization to the stimulant effect of ethanolAndrezza Kyunmi Kim
Departamento de Psicobiologia Universidade Federal de São Paulo UNIFESP, Rua Napoleao de Barros 925, Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Behav Brain Res 207:441-6. 2010Although disulfiram has been used in the treatment of alcoholism due to the unpleasant sensations its concomitant ingestion with ethanol provokes, some patients reported stimulant effects after its ingestion...
- BDADs for Male ContraceptionJohn K Amory; Fiscal Year: 2013..These compounds were not brought to market as male contraceptives, however, because they caused a "disulfiram reaction" characterized by flushing, nausea and vomiting when co-ingested with alcohol...
- In vitro screening of novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of alcohol abuseS John Mihic; Fiscal Year: 2010..This rational approach to drug discovery contrasts markedly with the serendipitous approach to the discovery of drugs currently used in the treatment of alcoholism. ..
- Eliciting protective mechanisms against alcoholismEmanuel Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2010..This inborn protection against alcoholism can reach 50-60%. Disulfiram, an ALDH inhibitor used in the treatment of alcoholism has two main drawbacks that have reduced its use;marked ..
- Effects of Ghrelin on Alcohol Cue Reactivity and CravingGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2011..are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of alcohol dependence, namely disulfiram, naltrexone and acamprosate...
- Disulfiram Interactions With HIV Medications: Clinical ImplicationsElinore F McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, promising results have been obtained with the use of disulfiram (DIS), a FDA approved medication to treat alcohol dependence, for treatment of cocaine or comorbid cocaine/..
- Modulators of behavioral hypersensitivity to cocaine following DBH inhibitionMERIEM GAVAL; Fiscal Year: 2010..administration and increased success in attenuating cocaine intake when administered the pharmacological agent disulfiram (Antabuse)...
- Doxazosin an a1 Antagonist for Alcohol DependenceGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2012..are approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of alcohol dependence (AD), namely disulfiram, naltrexone tablets and injection, and acamprosate, however treatment success has been inconsistent...
- Mouse Target Assessment CoreAmanda J Roberts; Fiscal Year: 2013..While there are currently three FDA approved medications for alcohol dependence available, disulfiram, naltrexone, and acamprosate, there is still a push by NIAAA to identify more efficacious pharmacotherapies to ..
- A Novel Pharmacotherapy for Alcoholism and Alcohol Liver DiseaseGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the limiting factors that must be taken into consideration when using currently approved medications such as disulfiram or naltrexone is liver function...
- A Program of Research and Mentorship on Alcoholism and Co-occuring DisordersMICHAEL PARKS BOGENSCHUTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..for individuals with alcohol dependence and co-occurring anxiety disorders, involving the co-administration of disulfiram and a benzodiazepine a 16-week model of treatment;3) To develop, submit, and obtain funding for an R01 grant ..
- When one plus one equals more than two.Janice C Froehlich; Fiscal Year: 2013..Only three drugs have been approved by the FDA for the treatment of alcohol dependence: disulfiram (antibuse), acamprosate, and naltrexone (Trexan or Revia) and, of these, naltrexone (NTX) is the most effective...
- HNO-donating Prodrugs for Use as Pharmaceuticals and Biomedical Research ToolsDebra J Salmon; Fiscal Year: 2010..that can be used as AIDH inhibitors but with the potential for fewer side effects compared to cyanamide or disulfiram. The specific aims of this application are 1) to synthesize and characterize a series of HNO releasing NONOates ..
- FORMATION AND METABOLISM OF NITROSAMINES IN PIGSPeter Magee; Fiscal Year: 1991..The drugs will include aminopyrine, known to yield dimethylnitrosamine on nitrosation, disulfiram reported to yield diethylnitrosamine, piperazine, and cimetidine which can be nitrosated to yield a methylating ..
- Patient-Oriented Research and Mentoring in the Translational Neurobiology/GeneticRobert T Malison; Fiscal Year: 2012..are presented in detail - including 1) a study of drug dependence in an isolated population (active) and 2) a pharmacogenetic study of cocaine, disulfiram and genetic variation (C-1021T) in the gene for dopamine beta-hydroxylase (DBH).
- ALDEHYDE DEHYDROGENASE AND PATHOGENESIS OF ALCOHOLISMREGINA PIETRUSZKO; Fiscal Year: 1993..Suicide inactivators will also be suitable as therapeutic agents, much superior to disulfiram because of their absolute specificity...
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2002..our pilot study of acute disulfiram 250 mg treatment followed by cocaine administration showed decreased cocaine craving and increased dysphoria in ..
- COCAINE, ALCOHOL, AND COCAETHYLENE--CLINICAL EFFECTSElinore McCance Katz; Fiscal Year: 2000..our pilot study of acute disulfiram 250 mg treatment followed by cocaine administration showed decreased cocaine craving and increased dysphoria in ..
- Medications for Comorbid Cocaine and Alcohol DependenceRolley Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Disulfiram is approved for the treatment of alcohol abuse...
- COCAINE PHARMACOTHERAPIES FOR COMORBID POPULATIONSThomas Kosten; Fiscal Year: 2003..Trials 3 and 4 are "Disulfiram & GABA agonists with LAAM for cocaine" including 60 patients in randomized, placebo controlled 12 week ..
- INTERACTION OF AMINOTHIOLS AND ALKYLATING AGENTSFrederick Valeriote; Fiscal Year: 1990..potentiation of AKR leukemia has been shown to occur for a variety of other aminothiols, the most potent being disulfiram. No correlation has been noted between the ability of these agents to protect normal cells (CFU-S) from HN2 ..
- ANESTHETIC TOXICITY--MECHANISMS AND PREVENTIONEvan Kharasch; Fiscal Year: 1999..b>Disulfiram is an effective clinical inhibitor of P4502E1 and P4502E1-mediated anesthetic metabolism...
- DISULFIRAM FOR COCAINE ABUSE IN BUPRENORPHINE TREATMENTRichard Schottenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2003..are proposing a placebo-controlled clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and potential mechanisms of action of disulfiram (vs...
- TREATMENT FOR DUALLY DEPENDENT METHADONE PATIENTSNancy Petry; Fiscal Year: 2002..All three studies showed that an intervention in which disulfiram ingestion was necessary for methadone treatment reduced alcohol use compared to a standard, optional disulfiram ..
- EFFECTS OF ETHANOL ON HEPATIC ORGANIC ANION UPTAKEBarry Potter; Fiscal Year: 1992..Finally, the effects of ethanol metabolites, such as acetaldehyde and other xenobiotics such as disulfiram, 4-methyl pyrazole and phenobarbital will be evaluated in these systems, either individually, or in conjunction ..
- COMMUNITY REINFORCEMENT APPROACH WITH THE HOMELESSJane Smith; Fiscal Year: 1993..Thus, it appears ideal for the homeless. The study will be a comparison of the CRA treatment (with and without disulfiram) and the standard services (STD) offered by St. Martin's Hospitality Center for the homeless...
- Cocaine, Disulfiram & DBH: A Pharmacomechanistic StudyRobert Malison; Fiscal Year: 2004..Of the multiple medications tested to date, only disulfiram has shown consistent, albeit modest, efficacy in clinical trials...
- IMPROVING EFFICACY OF DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTRichard Schottenfeld; Fiscal Year: 2009..therapy for methadone maintained patients with persistent depressive symptoms, 2) the pharmacogenetics of disulfiram response to cocaine during buprenorphine maintenance treatment, 3) buprenorphine maintenance in primary care ..
- PHARMACOLOGY OF DISULFIRAMJames Lipsky; Fiscal Year: 1999APPLICANT'S ABSTRACT: This is a proposal to continue our studies of the action of disulfiram. Disulfiram is currently the only drug which is approved in the United States for aversion therapy in the treatment of alcoholism...
- Menkes protein:copper transport in the pituitaryTAMI STEVESON; Fiscal Year: 2002..The copper chelators, bathocuproinedisulfonic acid (BCS) and Disulfiram (Antabuse), will be used to determine if a reduction of copper levels affects the behavior of endogenous MNK...
- Carbamathione, A Novel Disulfiram Metabolite for Cocaine DependenceMORRIS FAIMAN; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Disulfiram, a drug used for the treatment of alcohol abuse for more than 50 years has been shown to reduce cocaine use in cocaine-dependent patients. This effect is independent of alcohol use...
- Combinatorial inhibitors of aldehyde dehydrogenaseELENI ANNI; Fiscal Year: 2005..for treatment of alcoholism is based on blocking the metabolism of ethanol-derived acetaldehyde by disulfiram, an inhibitor of aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH)...
- AGING AND ETHANOL AS FACTORS IN AXONAL TRANSPORT DEFICITJERRY MC LANE; Fiscal Year: 1991..and whether adducts form in peripheral nerves in vivo when the blood acetaldehyde concentration is increased by disulfiram and ethanol treatment The proposed studies may lead to a better understanding of the pathogenesis and relations ..
- Comorbidity in Cocaine and Opioid PharmacotherapyTHOMAS RICHARD KOSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..One study relates a functional polymorphism of dopamine beta hydroxylase to disulfiram response...
- COVALENT MODIFICATION OF PROTEINS BY DISULFIRAMLISA ZIMMERMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..the site and structure of the covalent modifications produced on proteins, including aldehyde dehydrogenase, by disulfiram and its metabolites using in vitro and in vivo systems...
- DISULFIRAM METABOLISM - ALCOHOLISM TREATMENT CONCEPTSMORRIS FAIMAN; Fiscal Year: 1992..Of these inhibitors, only disulfiram is used exclusively in the U.S...
- COMMUNITY/RELAPSE PEVENTION APPROACHS TO HEROIN ABUSEPatrick Abbott; Fiscal Year: 1993..The disulfiram compliance procedure used in CRA will be applied to heroin addicts on methadone who have take home privileges...
- EFFECTIVENESS OF THE COMMUNITY REINFORCEMENT APPROACHWilliam Miller; Fiscal Year: 1991..The Disulfiram Compliance (DC) intervention involves a supporting and reinforcing "monitor" to ensure patient medication ..
- A FOLLOW-UP STUDY OF ALCOHOL ABUSEStephen Kunitz; Fiscal Year: 1991....
- ETHANOL-INDUCED LIPID PEROXIDATION IN HEPATOCYTESTHOMAS STEGE; Fiscal Year: 1980..Antioxidants, inhibitors of lipid peroxidation, as well as pyrazole and disulfiram, inhibitors of alcohol metabolism, will be used concomitantly with the hepatocytes in an effort to block ..
- REINFORCEMENT AND DISULFIRAM TREATMENT OF ALCOHOLISMNathan Azrin; Fiscal Year: 1980..The first treatment is a method of assuring adherence to disulfiram therapy which otherwise has not fulfilled its potential...
- CONTROLLED-RELEASE IMPLANTS OF DISULFIRAM METABOLITESKelly Smith; Fiscal Year: 1991..Specific aims during Phase I are to develop prototype implants that release disulfiram metabolites and to test the efficacy of these implants in rats...
- BIOCHEMICAL ALTERATIONS PRODUCED BY ETHANOLHenry Weiner; Fiscal Year: 1980..Alterations in aldehyde dehydrogenase activity and isozyme patterns will be studied in ethanol fed animals and in developing rat pups. The inhibition of aldehyde dehydrogenase by disulfiram in brain and the tissue will be determined.
- Cocaine Withdrawal and Pharmacotherapy ResponseMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2010..This proposal, by testing the efficacy of carvedilol and investigating the influence of withdrawal severity on carvedilol's efficacy, may result in development of more effective treatments for cocaine addiction. ..
- GABA Medications for Tobacco AddictionMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of this study will provide valuable information to develop new pharmacotherapies for smoking cessation. ..
- Progestrone and the Effects of NicotineMehmet Sofuoglu; Fiscal Year: 2006..By characterizing the progesterone effects on nicotine dependence, this study may provide a better understanding of the mechanisms which mediate the sex and menstrual cycle phase effects on nicotine dependence. ..
- Matching 5-HT Genotypes to Serotonergic Medications for AlcoholismGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Maximizing CBT's Efficacy with Medication & CMKathleen Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2009..In addition, disulfiram has been demonstrated through a recent series of randomized double blind controlled trials to significantly ..
- CANNABIS AND SCHIZOPHRENIA: CLOZAPINE VS RISPERIDONEAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 2005..If the results of this study confirm the preliminary data, they could suggest a new use for CLOZ, one that could have important public health implications. ..
- Mechanism of Disulfiram-Induced Cocaine AbstinenceDavid Weinshenker; Fiscal Year: 2009..Second, the DBH inhibitor disulfiram (Antabuse) has shown striking promise as a treatment for cocaine dependence, yet its mechanism of action is ..
- ALCOHOLISM AND SCHIZOPHRENIA--EFFECTS OF CLOZAPINEAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- Antipsychotics and Alcohol Drinking in RodentsAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 2005..The long-term goal of our research is to create better treatments for alcoholism in patients with SCH (and possibly even in those without SCH). ..
- Cannabis & Schizophrenia: fMRI Reward Circuit BiomakerAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finding new medications, safer than CLOZ, that may be able to limit cannabis use In patients with SCHIZ is thus of considerable public health relevance. ..
- Disulfiram, DBH, and cocaine-induced anxietyDavid Weinshenker; Fiscal Year: 2005..Second, the DBH inhibitor disulfiram (Antabuse) has shown striking promise as a treatment for cocaine dependence...
- Efficacy and Safety of Baclofen for Alcohol DependenceJames Garbutt; Fiscal Year: 2006..Several studies also have found that baclofen reduces self-reported anxiety and craving; thus, the proposed study will assess baclofen's ability to reduce these symptoms as well. ..
- Modeling genetically controlled DBH activity in miceDavid Weinshenker; Fiscal Year: 2006..Second, the DBH inhibitor disulfiram has shown promise as a pharmacotherapy for cocaine dependence...
- Clozapine, cannabis and first episode schizophreniaAlan Green; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Cannabis and Schizophrenia: Self-Medication and Agonist Treatment?Alan I Green; Fiscal Year: 2010..Finding medications that may be able to limit cannabis use and thereby reduce adverse outcomes in patients with schizophrenia is of great public health importance. ..
- SERTRALINE FOR ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE AND DEPRESSIONHelen Pettinati; Fiscal Year: 2003..Overall, this project will determine if combining pharmacotherapies results in a better response in comorbidly depressed alcoholics than either medication alone or placebo. ..