Genomes and Genes
Summary: Chemical groups containing the covalent sulfur bonds -S-. The sulfur atom can be bound to inorganic or organic moieties.
Publications391 found, 100 shown here
- H2S as a physiologic vasorelaxant: hypertension in mice with deletion of cystathionine gamma-lyaseGuangdong Yang
Department of Physiology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK S7N 5E5, Canada
Science 322:587-90. 2008..These findings provide direct evidence that H2S is a physiologic vasodilator and regulator of blood pressure...
- Discovery of 1-[2-(2,4-dimethylphenylsulfanyl)phenyl]piperazine (Lu AA21004): a novel multimodal compound for the treatment of major depressive disorderBenny Bang-Andersen
Neuroscience Drug Discovery Denmark, H Lundbeck A S, 9 Ottiliavej, DK 2500 Copenhagen Valby, Denmark
J Med Chem 54:3206-21. 2011..These characteristics indicate that 5m is a novel multimodal serotonergic compound, and 5m is currently in clinical development for major depressive disorder...
- Hydrogen sulfide inhibits nitric oxide production and nuclear factor-kappaB via heme oxygenase-1 expression in RAW264.7 macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharideGi Su Oh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Medicinal Resources Research Institute, Wonkwang University School of Medicine, Iksan, Chonbuk 570 749, Republic of Korea
Free Radic Biol Med 41:106-19. 2006..Collectively, our results suggest that H(2)S can inhibit NO production and NF-kappaB activation in LPS-stimulated macrophages through a mechanism that involves the action of HO-1/CO...
- The novel neuromodulator hydrogen sulfide: an endogenous peroxynitrite 'scavenger'?Matthew Whiteman
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Neurochem 90:765-8. 2004....
- A cryptic sulfur cycle in oxygen-minimum-zone waters off the Chilean coastDon E Canfield
Institute of Biology and Nordic Center for Earth Evolution, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, 5230 Odense M, Denmark
Science 330:1375-8. 2010..This cryptic sulfur cycle is linked to anammox and other nitrogen cycling processes, suggesting that it may influence biogeochemical cycling in the global ocean...
- A randomized, double-blind trial of 2.5 mg and 5 mg vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) versus placebo for 8 weeks in adults with major depressive disorderAtul R Mahableshwarkar
Takeda Global Research and Development Center, One Takeda Parkway, Deerfield, IL 60015, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 29:217-26. 2013..This trial assessed the efficacy and tolerability of 2.5 and 5 mg vortioxetine for the treatment of MDD...
- Hydrogen sulfide is an endogenous modulator of leukocyte-mediated inflammationRenata C O Zanardo
Inflammation Research Network, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
FASEB J 20:2118-20. 2006..These results suggest that endogenous H2S is an important mediator of acute inflammation, acting at the leukocyte-endothelium interface. These findings have important implications for anti-inflammatory drug development...
- Multitargeted prevention and therapy of cancer by diallyl trisulfide and related Allium vegetable-derived organosulfur compoundsAnna A Powolny
Department of Pharmacology and Urology, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Cancer Lett 269:305-14. 2008..This article summarizes preclinical and limited clinical data to warrant further clinical evaluation of Allium vegetable constituents for prevention and therapy of human cancers...
- Role of hydrogen sulfide in the development of atherosclerotic lesions in apolipoprotein E knockout miceYanfei Wang
Department of Pediatrics, Peking University First Hospital, Xi An Men Street No 1, West District, Beijing 100034, PR China
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 29:173-9. 2009..We explored the effect of hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S) on atherosclerotic progression, particularly on intracellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) in apolipoprotein-E knockout (apoE(-/-)) mice and human umbilical vein endothelial cells (HUVECs)...
- Hydrogen sulfide is a novel mediator of lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation in the mouseLing Li
Department of Pharmacology, National University of Singapore, Singapore
FASEB J 19:1196-8. 2005..1 microM, n=5, P<0.05) plasma H2S levels in humans with septic shock. These findings suggest that H2S exhibits proinflammatory activity in endotoxic shock and suggest a new approach to the development of novel drugs for this condition...
- Molecular mechanisms and targets of cancer chemoprevention by garlic-derived bioactive compound diallyl trisulfideMarie Lue Antony
Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Indian J Exp Biol 49:805-16. 2011..This article reviews mechanisms and targets of cancer chemoprevention by DATS...
- Diallyl trisulfide-induced G(2)-M phase cell cycle arrest in human prostate cancer cells is caused by reactive oxygen species-dependent destruction and hyperphosphorylation of Cdc 25 CDong Xiao
Department of Pharmacology and University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Oncogene 24:6256-68. 2005..In conclusion, the results of the present study indicate that DATS-induced G(2)-M phase cell cycle arrest in human prostate cancer cells is caused by ROS-mediated destruction and hyperphosphorylation of Cdc 25 C...
- The hydrogen sulfide donor NaHS promotes angiogenesis in a rat model of hind limb ischemiaMing Jie Wang
Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, 138 Yi Xue Yuan Road, Shanghai, China
Antioxid Redox Signal 12:1065-77. 2010..The proangiogenic effect of NaHS may be mediated by interaction between the upregulated VEGF in the skeletal muscle cells and the VEGFR2 as well as its downstream signaling element Akt in the vascular endothelial cells...
- Hydrogen sulfide in paraventricular nucleus enhances sympathetic activity and cardiac sympathetic afferent reflex in chronic heart failure ratsXian bing Gan
Key Laboratory of Cardiovascular Disease and Molecular Intervention, Department of Physiology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
PLoS ONE 7:e50102. 2012..This study was designed to determine the roles of H(2)S in the paraventricular nucleus (PVN) in modulating sympathetic activity and cardiac sympathetic afferent reflex (CSAR) in chronic heart failure (CHF)...
- Short term inhalation toxicity of a liquid aerosol of CdS/Cd(OH)₂ core shell quantum dots in male Wistar ratsL Ma-Hock
BASF SE, Experimental Toxicology and Ecology, 67056 Ludwigshafen, Germany
Toxicol Lett 208:115-24. 2012..There was no evidence that QD were translocated to the central nervous system nor that a systemic acute phase response occurred...
- In vitro toxicity assessment of amphiphillic polymer-coated CdSe/ZnS quantum dots in two human liver cell modelsWesley E Smith
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, United States
ACS Nano 6:9475-84. 2012..Thus, further in vivo studies are warranted to ensure that TOPO-PMAT-coated Qdots used in biomedical applications do not induce inflammatory responses as a consequence of hepatic uptake...
- Sunken wood habitat for thiotrophic symbiosis in mangrove swampsMélina C Z Laurent
Universite des Antilles et de la Guyane, UFR des Sciences Exactes et Naturelles, Departement de Biologie, B P 592, 97159 Pointe à Pitre cedex, Guadeloupe, France
Mar Environ Res 67:83-8. 2009..These results support the idea that sunken wood surfaces constitute an environment suitable for sulfide-oxidizing symbioses...
- A monobromobimane-based assay to measure the pharmacokinetic profile of reactive sulphide species in bloodEdward A Wintner
Ikaria, Seattle, WA, USA
Br J Pharmacol 160:941-57. 2010..The development of sulphide-based therapies for human diseases will benefit from a reliable method of quantifying H(2)S in blood and tissues...
- Garlic oil alleviated ethanol-induced fat accumulation via modulation of SREBP-1, PPAR-α, and CYP2E1Tao Zeng
Institute of Toxicology, School of Public Health, Shandong University, 44 Wenhua West Road, Shandong, Jinan 250012, PR China
Food Chem Toxicol 50:485-91. 2012..These results suggested that GO had the potential to ameliorate alcoholic steatosis which might be related to its modulation on SREBP-1c, PPAR-α, and CYP2E1...
- Hydrogen sulfide is a partially redox-independent activator of the human jejunum Na+ channel, Nav1.5Peter R Strege
Enteric Neuroscience Program, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Physiology and Biomedical Engineering, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 300:G1105-14. 2011..5 peak current. These studies show that H(2)S activates the gastrointestinal Na(+) channel, and the mechanism of action of H(2)S is partially redox independent...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled 6-wk trial of the efficacy and tolerability of 5 mg vortioxetine in adults with major depressive disorderRakesh Jain
R D Clinical Research Inc, Lake Jackson, TX, USA
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 16:313-21. 2013..1 and 9.4%), headache (17.1 and 15.1%) and diarrhoea (11.4 and 7.0%), respectively. In this study of adults with MDD, 5 mg vortioxetine did not differ significantly from placebo in reducing depression symptoms after 6 wk of treatment...
- Structural characterization of four prochlorosins: a novel class of lantipeptides produced by planktonic marine cyanobacteriaWeixin Tang
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Biochemistry 51:4271-9. 2012..These findings indicate that most, if not all, of the rings in prochlorosins are formed enzymatically by ProcM lanthionine synthetase and not by a nonenzymatic process as previously suggested...
- Hydrogen evolution on nano-particulate transition metal sulfidesJacob Bonde
Center for Individual Nanoparticle Functionality CINF, Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby DK 2800, Denmark
Faraday Discuss 140:219-31; discussion 297-317. 2008..Other metal sulfides with morphologies similar to MoS2 such as WS2, cobalt-promoted WS2, and cobalt-promoted MoS2 were also ..
- Diallyl sulfide, diallyl disulfide and diallyl trisulfide affect drug resistant gene expression in colo 205 human colon cancer cells in vitro and in vivoKuang Chi Lai
Department of Surgery, China Medical University Beigang Hospital, Yunlin 651, Taiwan
Phytomedicine 19:625-30. 2012..05) in the colo 205 xenograft mice. Based on our in vitro and in vivo results, diallyl polysulfides (DAS, DADS and DATS) affected the gene expression of the multidrug resistance in colo 205 human colon cancer cells in vitro and in vivo...
- Vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) in the long-term open-label treatment of major depressive disorderDavid S Baldwin
Clinical and Experimental Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Southampton, United Kingdom
Curr Med Res Opin 28:1717-24. 2012..The primary objective of this study was to evaluate the safety and tolerability of the investigational drug vortioxetine (Lu AA21004) in the long-term treatment of patients with major depressive disorder...
- In vivo evidence of hepato- and reno-protective effect of garlic oil against sodium nitrite-induced oxidative stressHanaa A Hassan
Department of Zoology, Faculty of Science, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Int J Biol Sci 5:249-55. 2009..However, garlic oil supplementation showed a remarkable amelioration of these abnormalities. Our data indicate that garlic is a phytoantioxidant with powerful chemopreventive properties against chemically-induced oxidative stress...
- Role of PI3K/Akt and MEK/ERK signaling pathways in sulforaphane- and erucin-induced phase II enzymes and MRP2 transcription, G2/M arrest and cell death in Caco-2 cellsJana Jakubikova
Nutrition Division, Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7UA, UK
Biochem Pharmacol 69:1543-52. 2005..Taken together, these results demonstrate that PI3K/Akt and MEK/ERK signals are important intracellular mediators in erucin- and sulforaphane-mediated phase II enzyme transcription and cell cycle arrest in Caco-2 cells...
- Diallyl trisulfide induces apoptosis in human breast cancer cells through ROS-mediated activation of JNK and AP-1Hye Kyung Na
Department of Food and Nutrition, College of Human Ecology, Sungshin Women s University, Seoul, South Korea
Biochem Pharmacol 84:1241-50. 2012..These results suggest that DATS-induced apoptosis is mediated through ROS generation and subsequent activation of JNK and AP-1...
- Hydrogen sulfide protects SH-SY5Y cells against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced endoplasmic reticulum stressLi Xie
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 303:C81-91. 2012..In conclusion, the protective effect of H(2)S against 6-OHDA-induced ER stress injury in SH-SY5Y cells involves the Akt-Hsp90 pathway...
- Sulfur-metabolizing bacterial populations in microbial mats of the Nakabusa hot spring, JapanKyoko Kubo
Max Planck Institute for Marine Microbiology, Bremen, Germany
Syst Appl Microbiol 34:293-302. 2011..act as highly efficient scavengers of oxygen from the spring water, thus creating a favorable, anoxic environment for Chloroflexus and Thermodesulfobacterium/Thermodesulfatator in deeper layers...
- Synthesis and activity of thioether-containing analogues of the complement inhibitor compstatinPatrick J Knerr
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 600 S Mathews Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, United States
ACS Chem Biol 6:753-60. 2011..Additionally, the versatility of this synthesis allows for exploration of disulfide-to-thioether substitution in a variety of other therapeutic peptides...
- Allyl sulfides inhibit cell growth of skin cancer cells through induction of DNA damage mediated G2/M arrest and apoptosisHsiao Chi Wang
Graduate Institute of Food Science and Technology, National Taiwan University, No 1, Sec 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Agric Food Chem 58:7096-103. 2010..melanoma A375 cells and basal cell carcinoma cells as the models to elucidate the effects of these three allyl sulfides. Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is known to be the most prevalent type of skin cancer, and melanoma is the most ..
- Cardiac peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha activation causes increased fatty acid oxidation, reducing efficiency and post-ischaemic functional lossAnne D Hafstad
Department of Medical Physiology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Tromsø N 9037, Norway
Cardiovasc Res 83:519-26. 2009..In this study we have examined the cardiac response to in vivo administration of tetradecylthioacetic acid (TTA, 0.5% w/w added to the diet for 8 days), a PPAR agonist with primarily PPARalpha activity...
- Hydrogen sulphide is an inhibitor of L-type calcium channels and mechanical contraction in rat cardiomyocytesYing Gang Sun
Key Laboratory of Molecular Medicine, The Ministry of Education, Department of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Fudan University Shanghai Medical College, 138 Yi Xue Yuan Road, Shanghai 200032, P R China
Cardiovasc Res 79:632-41. 2008..The present study aims to examine the hypothesis that H(2)S is a novel inhibitor of the L-type calcium channel current (I(Ca,L))...
- Dietary supplementation of tetradecylthioacetic acid increases feed intake but reduces body weight gain and adipose depot sizes in rats fed on high-fat dietsA J Wensaas
Department of Nutrition, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oslo, Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Diabetes Obes Metab 11:1034-49. 2009..This study further explores the effects of TTA on weight gain, feed intake and adipose tissue functions in rats that are fed a high-fat diet for 7 weeks...
- A cultured greigite-producing magnetotactic bacterium in a novel group of sulfate-reducing bacteriaChristopher T Lefèvre
Laboratoire de Bioenergetique Cellulaire, UMR 6191, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Cadarache, Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut de Biologie Environnementale et Biotechnologie, Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Science 334:1720-3. 2011..Genomic analysis of BW-1 reveals the presence of two different magnetosome gene clusters, suggesting that one may be responsible for greigite biomineralization and the other for magnetite...
- Beneficial effects of GW274150, a novel, potent and selective inhibitor of iNOS activity, in a rodent model of collagen-induced arthritisSalvatore Cuzzocrea
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Messina, Torre Biologica, Policlinico Universitario Via C Valeria, Gazzi, 98100 Messina, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 453:119-29. 2002..Furthermore, these results suggest that the induction of iNOS and NO production are essential for the up-regulation of the inflammatory response during experimental collagen-induced arthritis...
- Molecular dissection of bacterial acrylate catabolism--unexpected links with dimethylsulfoniopropionate catabolism and dimethyl sulfide productionJonathan D Todd
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Environ Microbiol 12:327-43. 2010..This first description of genes involved in acrylate catabolism in any organism shows that the relationship between the catabolic pathways of acrylate and DMSP differs from that which had been suggested in other bacteria...
- Variability in microbial community and venting chemistry in a sediment-hosted backarc hydrothermal system: Impacts of subseafloor phase-separationSatoshi Nakagawa
Laboratory of Marine Microbiology, Division of Applied Biosciences, Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Oiwake cho, Kitashirakawa, Sakyo ku, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 54:141-55. 2005..Subseafloor phase-separation and -segregation may play a key role in supplying energy and carbon sources to vent-associated chemolithoautotrophs and subvent microbial communities...
- On the generation of free radical species from quantum dotsBinil Itty Ipe
Biologisch Chemische Mikrostrukturtechnik, Fachbereich Chemie, Universitat Dortmund, Otto Hahn Str 6, 44227, Dortmund, Germany
Small 1:706-9. 2005
- Hydrogen sulfide promotes transient receptor potential vanilloid 1-mediated neurogenic inflammation in polymicrobial sepsisSeah Fang Ang
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Crit Care Med 38:619-28. 2010..However, whether endogenous hydrogen sulfide would induce transient receptor potential vanilloid type 1-mediated neurogenic inflammation in sepsis remains unknown...
- Bacterial taxa that limit sulfur flux from the oceanErinn C Howard
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Science 314:649-52. 2006..One-third of surface ocean bacteria harbor a DMSP demethylase homolog and thereby route a substantial fraction of global marine primary production away from DMS formation and into the marine microbial food web...
- Dimethylsulfoniopropionate: its sources, role in the marine food web, and biological degradation to dimethylsulfideDuane C Yoch
Department of Biological Sciences, University of South Carolina, Columbia 29208, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:5804-15. 2002
- Molecular characterization of inorganic sulfur-compound metabolism in the deep-sea epsilonproteobacterium Sulfurovum sp. NBC37-1Masahiro Yamamoto
Institute of Biogeosciences, Japan Agency for Marine Earth Science and Technology JAMSTEC, Yokosuka, Japan
Environ Microbiol 12:1144-53. 2010....
- Biogeography and biodiversity in sulfide structures of active and inactive vents at deep-sea hydrothermal fields of the Southern Mariana TroughShingo Kato
Department of Molecular Biology, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:2968-79. 2010..Our findings provide helpful information for understanding the biogeography, biodiversity and microbial ecosystems in marine environments...
- In vivo targeting of dendritic cells in lymph nodes with poly(propylene sulfide) nanoparticlesSai T Reddy
Institute of Bioengineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne EPFL CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
J Control Release 112:26-34. 2006..24h, suggesting an infiltration of these cells to lymph nodes. Thus, PPS nanoparticles of 20-45nm have the potential for immunotherapeutic applications that specifically target DCs in lymph nodes...
- H2S ameliorates oxidative and proteolytic stresses and protects the heart against adverse remodeling in chronic heart failureParas K Mishra
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 298:H451-6. 2010..The levels of ADAM-12, apoptosis, and fibrosis were robust and integrin were decreased in AVF hearts. The treatment with H(2)S donor attenuated the fibrosis, apoptosis, and decrease in integrin...
- Requirement for IscS in biosynthesis of all thionucleosides in Escherichia coliCharles T Lauhon
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin, Madison 53705, USA
J Bacteriol 184:6820-9. 2002..This may be due to a residual level of Fe-S cluster biosynthesis in iscS deletion strains. An overall scheme for thionucleoside biosynthesis in E. coli is discussed...
- The cytotoxicity of cadmium based, aqueous phase - synthesized, quantum dots and its modulation by surface coatingYuanyuan Su
Shanghai Institute of Applied Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Jialuo Road 2019, Shanghai 201800, China
Biomaterials 30:19-25. 2009....
- Microbial diversity of a sulfide black smoker in main endeavour hydrothermal vent field, Juan de Fuca RidgeHuaiyang Zhou
Guangzhou Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Guangzhou 510640, P R China
J Microbiol 47:235-47. 2009..Mineral analysis indicated that the chimney was composed mainly of Fe-, Zn-and Cu-rich sulfides. According to phylogenetic analysis, within the Crenarchaeota, clones of the order Desulfurococcales predominated,..
- Luminal hydrogen sulfide plays a pronociceptive role in mouse colonM Matsunami
Division of Pharmacology and Pathophysiology, Kinki University School of Pharmacy, 3 4 1 Kowakae, Higashi Osaka 577 8502, Japan
Gut 58:751-61. 2009..Given recent evidence that hydrogen sulfide (H(2)S), a gasotransmitter, promotes somatic pain through redox modulation of T-type Ca(2+) channels, the roles of colonic luminal H(2)S in visceral nociceptive processing in mice were examined...
- Inhibition of cytochrome P450 2E1 induces an increase in extracellular dopamine in rat substantia nigra: a new metabolic pathway?H Nissbrandt
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Physiology and Pharmacology, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Synapse 40:294-301. 2001..Other mechanisms, such as the influence on the DA transporter or the release process cannot, however, be ruled out...
- The effect of hydrogen sulfide donors on lipopolysaccharide-induced formation of inflammatory mediators in macrophagesMatthew Whiteman
Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter, St Luke s Campus, Exeter, Devon, England
Antioxid Redox Signal 12:1147-54. 2010..This study may also explain some of the apparent discrepancies in the literature regarding the pro- versus antiinflammatory role of H(2)S...
- Intracellular oxidative stress and cadmium ions release induce cytotoxicity of unmodified cadmium sulfide quantum dotsK G Li
College of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tianjin Key Laboratory of Environmental Remediation and Pollution Control, Nankai University, Tianjin 300071, PR China
Toxicol In Vitro 23:1007-13. 2009..To fully understand the cytotoxicity of after-degradation QDs, we synthesized CdS QDs and investigated its toxicity mechanism...
- Chemiluminescent and chemiluminescence resonance energy transfer (CRET) detection of DNA, metal ions, and aptamer-substrate complexes using hemin/G-quadruplexes and CdSe/ZnS quantum dotsRonit Freeman
Institute of Chemistry, Center of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
J Am Chem Soc 133:11597-604. 2011..By the application of three different sized QDs functionalized with different hairpins, the multiplexed analysis of three different DNA targets is demonstrated by the generation of three different CRET luminescence signals...
- Biomimetic stereoselective formation of methyllanthionineHao Zhou
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 600 South Mathews Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Org Lett 4:1335-8. 2002..The formation of a single isomer suggests that the prepeptide has a strong intrinsic preference for the stereochemistry observed in lantibiotics. [reaction: see text]..
- Do the organic sulfur compounds DMSP and DMS drive coral microbial associations?Jean Baptiste Raina
Australian Institute of Marine Science AIMS, PMB3, Townsville MC, Townsville, Qld 4810, Australia
Trends Microbiol 18:101-8. 2010....
- Effects of hydrogen sulfide on homocysteine-induced oxidative stress in vascular smooth muscle cellsSheng kai Yan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Royal University Hospital, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, 103 Hospital Drive, Saskatoon, Sask, Canada S7N 0W8
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 351:485-91. 2006..In conclusion, our findings provide the first evidence that low levels of H(2)S decrease reactive oxygen species and improve cell viability and by doing so limit cellular damage induced by HCY...
- H2S generated by heart in rat and its effects on cardiac functionBin Geng
Institute of Cardiovascular Research, Peking University First Hospital, PR China
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 313:362-8. 2004..The present findings suggested that H2S could be endogenously produced by heart tissues, as a physiological cardiac function regulator, mediated by KATP channel pathway...
- Metabolic effects of thia fatty acidsRolf K Berge
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, Haukeland Hospital, University of Bergen, Norway
Curr Opin Lipidol 13:295-304. 2002....
- Bioleaching review part A: progress in bioleaching: fundamentals and mechanisms of bacterial metal sulfide oxidationT Rohwerder
Institut für Allgemeine Botanik und Botanischer Garten, Abteilung Mikrobiologie, Universitat Hamburg, Ohnhorststrasse 18, 22609 Hamburg, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 63:239-48. 2003Bioleaching of metal sulfides is caused by astonishingly diverse groups of bacteria. Today, at least 11 putative prokaryotic divisions can be related to this phenomenon...
- Hydrogen sulfide and its possible roles in myocardial ischemia in experimental ratsYi Zhun Zhu
Department of Pharmacology, National University of Singapore, 10 Kent Ridge Crescent, Singapore 117597
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:261-8. 2007..PAG reduced endogenous H(2)S production after MI by inhibiting cystathionine-gamma-lyase. The results suggest that H(2)S might provide a novel approach to the treatment of MI...
- Diallyl trisulfide-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells involves c-Jun N-terminal kinase and extracellular-signal regulated kinase-mediated phosphorylation of Bcl-2Dong Xiao
Department of Pharmacology and Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Oncogene 23:5594-606. 2004..In conclusion, our data point towards important roles for Bcl-2, JNK and ERK in DATS-induced apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells...
- Hydrogen sulfide induces the synthesis of proinflammatory cytokines in human monocyte cell line U937 via the ERK-NF-kappaB pathwayLiang Zhi
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Centre for Life Sciences, 28 Medical Drive, Singapore 117456
J Leukoc Biol 81:1322-32. 2007....
- Effects of garlic oil and diallyl trisulfide on glycemic control in diabetic ratsCheng Tzu Liu
Department of Nutrition, Chung Shan Medical University, No 110, Sec 1, Chien Kuo N Road, Taichung 402, Taiwan, Republic of China
Eur J Pharmacol 516:165-73. 2005..Both garlic oil and diallyl trisulfide improve glycemic control in diabetic rats through increased insulin secretion and increased insulin sensitivity...
- The sulfane sulfur of persulfides is the actual substrate of the sulfur-oxidizing enzymes from Acidithiobacillus and Acidiphilium sppThore Rohwerder
Department of Microbiology, Institute for General Botany, University of Hamburg, Ohnhorststr 18, D 22609 Hamburg, Germany
Microbiology 149:1699-710. 2003..On the basis of these results and previous findings a biochemical model for elemental sulfur and sulfide oxidation in Acidithiobacillus and Acidiphilium spp. is proposed...
- Electric field induced switching of the fluorescence of single semiconductor quantum rodsEli Rothenberg
Institute of Chemistry, the Farkas Center for Light Induced Processes, and the Center for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem 91904, Israel
Nano Lett 5:1581-6. 2005..These phenomena point to the use of single QRs as spectrally tunable charge sensitive fluorophores with polarized emission in fluorescence tagging and optical switching applications...
- Acid mine drainage remediation options: a reviewD Barrie Johnson
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor LL57 2UW, UK
Sci Total Environ 338:3-14. 2005..New and emerging technologies are also described. In addition, the factors that currently influence the selection of a remediation system, and how these criteria may change in the future, are discussed...
- DATS reduces LPS-induced iNOS expression, NO production, oxidative stress, and NF-kappaB activation in RAW 264.7 macrophagesKai Li Liu
Department of Nutrition, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung 40203, Taiwan, ROC
J Agric Food Chem 54:3472-8. 2006..The inhibitory effect of DATS on LPS-induced iNOS expression is likely attributed to its antioxidant potential to inhibit NF-kappaB activation...
- Geomicrobiology of extremely acidic subsurface environmentsDavid Barrie Johnson
School of Biological Sciences, Bangor University, Bangor, UK
FEMS Microbiol Ecol 81:2-12. 2012..Wooden pit props, submerged in the underground lake, act as a slow-release source of organic carbon in the subterranean Mynydd Parys lake, supporting a microbial community that is more enriched with heterotrophic microorganisms...
- Hydrogen sulfide protects against high-glucose-induced apoptosis in endothelial cellsQingbo Guan
Provincial Hospital affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan, China
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 59:188-93. 2012..These results indicated that the protective effects of H2S on endothelial cells in the condition of high glucose might involve an antioxidative stress mechanism...
- Arsenopyrite and pyrite bioleaching: evidence from XPS, XRD and ICP techniquesMarzia Fantauzzi
Dipartimento di Chimica Inorganica e Analitica, INSTM Research Unit, Centro Grandi Strumenti Università di Cagliari, 09042 Monserrato, Cagliari, Italy
Anal Bioanal Chem 401:2237-48. 2011..This was attributed to the deposition, on the mineral surfaces, of the remnants of a bio-film consisting of an extra-cellular polymer layer that had favoured the bacterial action...
- Life and death of deep-sea vents: bacterial diversity and ecosystem succession on inactive hydrothermal sulfidesJason B Sylvan
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
MBio 3:e00279-11. 2012..since their discovery in the mid-1970s, and recent work has also begun to explore the microbiology of inactive sulfides--structures that persist for decades to millennia and form moderate to massive deposits at and below the seafloor...
- Diallyl trisulfide (DATS) inhibits mouse colon tumor in mouse CT-26 cells allograft model in vivoPing Ping Wu
School of Pharmacy, China Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Phytomedicine 18:672-6. 2011..These findings indicated that DATS inhibits tumor growth in an allograft animal model. Thus, DATS may represent a colon cancer preventive agent and can be used in the future...
- Aryl methyl sulfides as substrates for rhodium-catalyzed alkyne carbothiolation: arene functionalization with activating group recyclingJoel F Hooper
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Chemistry Research Laboratory, Mansfield Road, Oxford OX1 3TA, UK
J Am Chem Soc 134:2906-9. 2012A Rh(I)-catalyzed method for the efficient functionalization of arenes is reported. Aryl methyl sulfides are combined with terminal alkynes to deliver products of carbothiolation...
- Protective effects of garlic oil on hepatocarcinoma induced by N-nitrosodiethylamine in ratsCui Li Zhang
Institute of Toxicology, School of Public Health, Shandong University, Jinan, PR China
Int J Biol Sci 8:363-74. 2012..These data suggest that GO exhibited significant protection against NDEA-induced hepatocarcinogenesis, which might be related with the enhancement of the antioxidant activity and the induction of apoptosis...
- Identification of the cytochrome P450 and other enzymes involved in the in vitro oxidative metabolism of a novel antidepressant, Lu AA21004Mette G Hvenegaard
Department of Drug Metabolism, H Lundbeck A S, Ottiliavej 9, 2500 Valby, Denmark
Drug Metab Dispos 40:1357-65. 2012....
- Antigen delivery to dendritic cells by poly(propylene sulfide) nanoparticles with disulfide conjugated peptides: Cross-presentation and T cell activationSachiko Hirosue
Institute of Bioengineering, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Vaccine 28:7897-906. 2010..These results demonstrate the relevance of the poly(propylene sulfide) nanoparticle vaccine platform and antigen conjugation scheme for activating both cytotoxic and helper T cell responses...
- Understanding charge transfer at PbS-decorated graphene surfaces toward a tunable photosensorDayong Zhang
Center for Nanochemistry, Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, PR China
Adv Mater 24:2715-20. 2012..These results highlight the vital importance of interface modification as a powerful tool for creating future ultrasensitive optoelectronic devices...
- Apoptosis induction of U937 human leukemia cells by diallyl trisulfide induces through generation of reactive oxygen speciesYung Hyun Choi
Department of Biochemistry, Dongeui University College of Oriental Medicine, San 45, Yangjung dong Busanjin gu, Busan 614 052, Republic of Korea
J Biomed Sci 19:50. 2012..However, the mechanisms of antiproliferative activity in leukemia cells are not fully understood. In this study, the apoptotic effects of DATS were investigated in human leukemia cells...
- Differential effects of allyl sulfides from garlic essential oil on cell cycle regulation in human liver tumor cellsC C Wu
Department of Nutrition and Health Science, Fooyin University, Kaohsiung 831, Taiwan, ROC
Food Chem Toxicol 42:1937-47. 2004..in J5 cells and lead cells to be arrested in G2/M phase via controlling the expression of cyclin B1 and Cdk7 in J5 cells, and the controlling action might relate to the sulfuric atom numbers in the structures of all these allyl sulfides.
- The dddP gene, encoding a novel enzyme that converts dimethylsulfoniopropionate into dimethyl sulfide, is widespread in ocean metagenomes and marine bacteria and also occurs in some Ascomycete fungiJ D Todd
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
Environ Microbiol 11:1376-85. 2009..The dddP gene is abundant in the bacterial metagenomic sequences in the Global Ocean Sampling Expedition. Thus, dddP has several novel features and is widely dispersed, both taxonomically and geographically...
- Structure/processing relationships of highly ordered lead salt nanocrystal superlatticesTobias Hanrath
School of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
ACS Nano 3:2975-88. 2009..Exposure to 1,2-ethanedithiol vapor caused partial displacement of surface bound oleic acid ligands and drastically degraded the degree of order in the nanocrystal assembly...
- Electrochemiluminescence energy transfer-promoted ultrasensitive immunoassay using near-infrared-emitting CdSeTe/CdS/ZnS quantum dots and gold nanorodsLingling Li
State Key Laboratory of Analytical Chemistry for Life Science, Synergetic Innovation Center of Chemical Nature of Life Science, School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, P R China
Sci Rep 3:1529. 2013..This method represents a novel approach for versatile detection of biomolecules at low concentrations...
- Inhibition of bladder cancer by broccoli isothiocyanates sulforaphane and erucin: characterization, metabolism, and interconversionBesma Abbaoui
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Mol Nutr Food Res 56:1675-87. 2012..Our objectives are to investigate these observations and determine the role of isothiocyanates in primary or secondary bladder cancer prevention...
- Biological profile of erucin: a new promising anticancer agent from cruciferous vegetablesAntonietta Melchini
Foundation Prof Antonio Imbesi, Pharmaco Biological Department, School of Pharmacy, University of Messina Villaggio Annunziata, 98168 Messina, Italy
Toxins (Basel) 2:593-612. 2010..These mechanisms include modulation of phase I, II and III detoxification, regulation of cell growth by induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrest, induction of ROS-mechanisms and regulation androgen receptor pathways...
- Hydrogen sulfide ameliorates hyperhomocysteinemia-associated chronic renal failureUtpal Sen
Dept of Physiology and Biophysics, Univ of Louisville School of Medicine, 500 S Preston St, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F410-9. 2009..Additionally, here we demonstrate with evidence that H(2)S supplementation prevents HHcy-associated renal damage, in part, through its antioxidant properties...
- A high-resolution chemical and structural study of framboidal pyrite formed within a low-temperature bacterial biofilmL C W MacLean
Department of Earth Sciences, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A5B7
Geobiology 6:471-80. 2008....
- Importance of dissolved neutral mercury sulfides for methyl mercury production in contaminated sedimentsAndreas Drott
Department of Forest Ecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, S 90183 Umeå, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 41:2270-6. 2007..The sum of neutral mercury sulfides [Hg(SH)20(aq)] and [HgS0(aq)] was significantly, positively (p < 0...
- Structural and regulatory genes required to make the gas dimethyl sulfide in bacteriaJonathan D Todd
School of Biological Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich Research Park, Norwich NR4 7TJ, UK
Science 315:666-9. 2007..The inferred enzymatic mechanism for DMS liberation involves an initial step in which DMSP is modified by addition of acyl coenzyme A, rather than the immediate release of DMS by a DMSP lyase, the previously suggested mechanism...
- An archaeal iron-oxidizing extreme acidophile important in acid mine drainageK J Edwards
Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Wisconsin Madison, 1215 West Dayton Street, Madison, WI 53706, USA
Science 287:1796-9. 2000..The presence of this and other closely related Thermoplasmales suggests that these acidophiles are important contributors to acid mine drainage and may substantially impact iron and sulfur cycles...
- Molecular characterization of community structures and sulfur metabolism within microbial streamers in Japanese hot springsTatsunori Nakagawa
Department of Biological Science, Graduate School of Science, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Hachioji, Tokyo 192 0397, Japan
Appl Environ Microbiol 69:7044-57. 2003....
- Hydrogen sulphide induces micro opioid receptor-dependent analgesia in a rodent model of visceral painEleonora Distrutti
S C di Gastroenterologia, Azienda Ospedaliera di Perugia, Perugia, Italia
Mol Pain 6:36. 2010..A body of evidence support the notion that KATP channels interact with endogenous opioids. Whether H2S-induced analgesia involves opioid receptors is unknown...
- Investigating antibacterial effects of garlic (Allium sativum) concentrate and garlic-derived organosulfur compounds on Campylobacter jejuni by using Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and electron microscopyXiaonan Lu
School of Food Science, Washington State University, Pullman, WA 99163, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:5257-69. 2011..The antimicrobial activities of the diallyl sulfides increased with the number of sulfur atoms (diallyl sulfide < diallyl disulfide < diallyl trisulfide)...
- Dual effect of exogenous hydrogen sulfide on the spontaneous contraction of gastric smooth muscle in guinea-pigPeng Zhao
Department of Physiology, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, 800 Dongchuan Road, 328 Wenxuan Medical Building, Shanghai 200240, China
Eur J Pharmacol 616:223-8. 2009..An excitatory effect is mediated via inhibition of the voltage-gated K(+) channel and an inhibitory effect is mediated via activation of the K(ATP) channel...
- The modulatory effects of garlic oil on hepatic cytochrome P450s in miceTao Zeng
Institute of Toxicology, Shandong University, Shandong, Jinan 250012, P R China
Hum Exp Toxicol 28:777-83. 2009..The CYP2E1 and 1A2 suppression might contribute to its hepatoprotection, and data about CYP3A indicated that GO was unlikely to alter the metabolism of the concomitantly used drugs...
- Bioactive substances of garlic and their role in dietoprophylaxis and dietotherapyFranciszek Swiderski
Department of Functional Foods and Commodity Warsaw Agricultural University, 02 776 Warsaw, Nowoursynowska 159C, Poland
Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig 58:41-6. 2007..Therefore, this work has aimed to characterise the most important bioactive substances of garlic, its preparations and describe in detail the role of garlic in dietoprophylaxis and dietotherapy...
- Methylation of mercury by bacteria exposed to dissolved, nanoparticulate, and microparticulate mercuric sulfidesTong Zhang
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Duke University, 121 Hudson Hall, Box 90287, Durham, North Carolina 27708, United States
Environ Sci Technol 46:6950-8. 2012..In sediment porewater, Hg(II) associates with sulfides and natural organic matter to form chemical species that include organic-coated mercury sulfide nanoparticles as ..
- The antibacterial mode of action of allitridi for its potential use as a therapeutic agent against Helicobacter pylori infectionShuang Liu
Department of Microbiology and Key Laboratory for Experimental Teratology of Chinese Ministry of Education, School of Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong, China
FEMS Microbiol Lett 303:183-9. 2010..Our investigations on the antibacterial mode of action of allitridi provide an insight into the potential use of allitridi as a therapeutic agent against H. pylori infection...
- Diallyl trisulfide inhibits phorbol ester-induced tumor promotion, activation of AP-1, and expression of COX-2 in mouse skin by blocking JNK and Akt signalingSangeeta Shrotriya
National Research Laboratory of Molecular Carcinogenesis and Chemoprevention, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul, South Korea
Cancer Res 70:1932-40. 2010..Pretreatment of mouse skin with different garlic-derived allyl sulfides showed DATS to be the most potent in suppressing TPA-induced COX-2 expression...
- NaHS relaxes rat cerebral artery in vitro via inhibition of l-type voltage-sensitive Ca2+ channelXiao Yu Tian
Institute of Vascular Medicine, Li Ka Shing Institute of Health Sciences, and School of Biomedical Sciences, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China
Pharmacol Res 65:239-46. 2012....
- Garlic Metabolism and Cytochrome P450 ModulationDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Specifically, we will measure metabolites deriving from allicin and allylic sulfides, which are the main constituents of garlic powder and garlic oil...
- Mechanism and Development of Catalysts for the Synthesis of Amines, Ethers, and SJohn F Hartwig; Fiscal Year: 2013This research program aims to develop catalytic synthetic methods that form amines, ethers and sulfides and to obtain precise mechanistic information for the design of new catalysts and for deducing relationships between emerging ..
- Visible Light Photocatalyzed Cycloaddition Reactions with Cyclopropyl SulfidesDanielle M Schultz; Fiscal Year: 2013..a new approach to [3+2] and [4+3] cycloaddition reactions through the photocatalyzed ring opening of cyclopropyl sulfides to 3-carbon radical cation intermediates...
- Novel Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitors: EpileptogenesisSTANLEY BELL; Fiscal Year: 2005..We have developed three novel chemotypes (pyrazolines, hydrazones and acetyl sulfides) with potent and selective COX-2 inhibitory activity...
- REDOX CHEMISTRY & BIOCHEMISTRY OF ORGANOSULFUR COMPOUNDSRichard Glass; Fiscal Year: 1992..The oxidation of divalent sulfides is surprisingly facile in the presence of suitable neighboring groups, such as those commonly found in proteins...
- NITRIC OXIDE TOXICITY--OXIDATIONS VIA PEROXYNITRITEWILLIAM PRYOR; Fiscal Year: 1999..3) Most inorganic and organic peroxyacids that oxidize sulfides to sulfoxides also epoxidize olefins...
- REDUCTION OF OXYGEN BY SULFATE REDUCING BACTERIAJean Le Gall; Fiscal Year: 2000DESCRIPTION: Beside their well established role in the production of massive concentrations of toxic hydrogen sulfides, sulfate-reducing bacteria have proven useful since they contain proteins whose structure is similar to domains of more ..
- HISTAMINERGIC MECHANISMS OF ANTINOCICEPTIONLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Anti-Trypanosomal Agents from a Neotropical CloudforestWILLIAM SETZER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term benefit of this research project is the development of new medicines to treat patients with Chagas disease. ..
- NON-OPIOID ANALGESICS DERIVED FROM IMPROGANLINDSAY HOUGH; Fiscal Year: 2006..These experiments will help to discover the mechanism of action of this novel class of agents, and lead to the development of new pharmacotherapies for pain. ..
- A Nanocrystal Biosensor for Detection of Multiple TBI Neurochemical BiomarkersYongcheng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2007..In comparison to existing technologies such as ELISA, this new technology will be more sensitive, reliable, specific, accurate, portable, robust, inexpensive and rapider to assess TBI. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Colloidal Quantum Dot/Well Near-Infrared NanoLabelsYongcheng Liu; Fiscal Year: 2006..3). produce CdS/CdSe/CdTe or CdS/CdTe/CdSe quantum well type-ll nanocrystals by SILAR and develop standard procedures. 4). develop dendron-nanocrystals and box-nanocrystals by chemical modification of these nanocrystals. ..
- Identifying the Antiplatelet Compounds of Garlic Ex VivoLarry Lawson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Chemoprevention of Esophageal Squamous Cell CarcinomaGary Stoner; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The assessment of hydrogen sulfide in vascular biologyDavid Kraus; Fiscal Year: 2006..Determine the mechanisms of O2-dependent H2S control of vessel tension under normal and inflammatory disease conditions. ..
- Peptide Deformylase: Mechanism and Inhibitor DesignDehua Pei; Fiscal Year: 2005..These enzymes are thought to be responsible for inactivating the chemotactic peptides released by commensal bacteria and preventing inflammatory responses in mammals. ..
- Nanoparticles for in vivo Oxygen Measurement in TumorsWei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..The combinations of these two techniques and the advantages of nanoparticle probes will enable the development a new oxygen sensor that can provide more accurate and more sensitive measurement of oxygen and oxygen-map imaging in vivo. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CYTOTOXIC GUAIANOLIDES AND OTHER TERPENOIDSJAMES RIGBY; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- GENE REGULATION DURING INTERMITTENT HYPOXIANanduri Prabhakar; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Medullary Circuitry of Opioid AnalgesiaMary Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposed work should advance our understanding of central processes involved in bi-directional pain modulation, and should ultimately lead to improved clinical treatment of pain. ..
- Mechanism and Inhibition of S-RibosylhomocysteinaseDehua Pei; Fiscal Year: 2009..The mechanism-based inhibitors will also serve as mechanistic probes for studying the LuxS mechanism. Finally, Specific Aim 5 is to purify and identify additional receptor(s) for AI-2. ..
- Supraspinal prostaglandins and descending controlMary Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- X-ray studies of metalloenzyme regulation and catalysisCATHERINE DRENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2008..We will complement structural data with biochemical characterization and single crystal spectroscopic techniques. ..
- New Methodology for Indole Alkaloid SynthesesKen S Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The use of a new variant of the Pummerer reaction to control both oxidation level and reaction site within the indole nucleus forms the basis of this chemistry. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF SPONGISTATIN ANTITUMOR AGENTSAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- The mechanistic enzymology of thiamin biosynthesisTadhg Begley; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Alkynyliodonium Salts and Derived Diyls in SynthesisKen Feldman; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- An instrument to measure protein amide H/D exchange within a secondYoshitomo Hamuro; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CHEMOTRANSDUCTION IN THE CAROTID BODYRobert Fitzgerald; Fiscal Year: 2007..Medical management of these situations could be greatly improved with a better understanding of the CB's transductive processes, possibly with genetic manipulation or drugs with highly focused effects. ..
- Monoamiergic Function in Geriatric PsychiatryGwenn Smith; Fiscal Year: 2008..The Independent Scientist Award will enable the candidate to continue to firmly focus her research and mentorship activities in the area of geriatric neuropsychiatry. ..
- UCLA TRAINING PROGRAM IN NUTRITION AND OBESITYDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Amination and Etherification of Aryl Halides and OlefinsJohn Hartwig; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, we will strive to develop conditions to add other nitrogen substrates to vinylarenes and to add amines to more substituted vinylarenes and simple alkenes. ..
- Migraine headache and central pain facilitating systemsMary M Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2010..This idea is attractive because a central dysfunction could potentially explain the multiple triggers for migraine attached, as well as the range of associated symptoms, including nausea and aversion to light and sound. ..
- Sequestration and immobilization of metal and metalloid contaminants in sedimentsPEGGY O DAY; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Epitope mapping by H/D exchange mass spectrometryYoshitomo Hamuro; Fiscal Year: 2008..Establishing a fast, cheap and reliable methodology for the epitope mapping should have a direct impact on the monoclonal antibody therapeutic business. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biological Predictors of Response to AntidepressantsRamin V Parsey; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our overall goal is to reduce the trial and error associated with finding an effective antidepressant by using data from pre-treatment quantification of 5-HT1A receptors and 5-HTT to guide antidepressant treatment selection. ..
- Asymmetric Synthesis of Amino Acids and Amino Phosphonic AcidsFRANKLIN DAVIS; Fiscal Year: 2007..The photodesulfmylation of sulfinamides represents an important new protocol, not requiring acids or bases, for the removal of the valuable amine N-sulfinyl protecting group. ..
- Ethanol Effects on Antigen Presentation in Liver CellsNatalia Osna; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- THE UCLA CLINICAL NUTRITION RESEARCH UNITDavid Heber; Fiscal Year: 2006..The UCLA CNRU is serving as a regional and national resource at the cutting edge of nutrition and cancer prevention research...
- FREE RADICALS AND CHOLINE DEFICIENT LIVER CARCINOGENESISROBERT FLOYD; Fiscal Year: 2005..C) We will determine if PBN (or its metabolite 4-OH-PBN) inhibits CD-mediated HCC development and ascertain if these compounds increase apoptosis in preneoplastic cells in this model. ..
- BENZENE METABOLITES AND HEMATOTOXICITYTERRENCE MONKS; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Interleukin-1Beta in Central Pain Modulating CircuitsMary Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2004..In providing additional tools to manipulate these systems, this work may ultimately lead to improved clinical treatment of pain. ..
- SUMMER RESEARCH IN MACROMOLECULAR INTERACTIONSCATHERINE DRENNAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..The proposed training project complements institutional goals of expanding career choices for students majoring in physical and quantitative sciences, and increasing minority participation in undergraduate research programs. ..
- OMRF MRI SYSTEMROBERT FLOYD; Fiscal Year: 2004..Additionally, new MRI technology will be developed for assessing tissue localization of specific flee radicals with a focus on nitric oxide intermediates, and tissue-specific contrast enhancement. ..
- Design and Synthesis of HIV-1 Protease InhibitorsAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- MECHANISM OF ANTICARCINOGENIC ACTIVITY--ORGANOSULFIDESShivendra Singh; Fiscal Year: 2003..Insights gained from these studies should help in devising practical dietary recommendation for humans. ..
- ROLE OF HUMAN GST PI POLYMORPHISM IN DRUG RESISTANCEShivendra Singh; Fiscal Year: 2003..These studies, in the long term, may be valuable in identifying subjects that may be at a higher risk for developing GST-mediated resistance to some alkylating agents. ..
- Solution Phase Libraries by Fluorous Mixture SynthesisWei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2002..The company plans to use the techniques in- house for contract library synthesis and to make them available to the community at large. ..
- SYNTHESIS OF CHLOROPEPTINS, GP120 CD4 BINDING INHIBITORSAMOS SMITH; Fiscal Year: 2001..abstract_text> ..
- Rapid Fluorous Synthesis of Drug-Like Small MoleculesWei Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- NOVEL GST AND DETOXICATION OF DIOL EPOXIDESShivendra Singh; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the long-term, this knowledge will guide us in developing strategies for prevention of PAH-induced cancers in humans. ..
- Scintillation Luminescence System for In-Vivo DosimetryWei Chen; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Toxicological Relevance of Human GST P1-1 PolymorphismShivendra Singh; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Assessment of Herb-Drug InteractionsBill Gurley; Fiscal Year: 2005..e. CYPIA2, CYP2D6 and CYP3A4); and (3) whether prolonged herb use can modulate P-gp-mediated drug absorption and elimination. ..
- PATHWAYS TO ROS INDUCED CELL DEATHTERRENCE MONKS; Fiscal Year: 2006..Basic knowledge of the mechanisms by which ROS induce cell death may yield strategies for clinical interventions in pathologies in which ROS play a prominent role ..
- Neural circuitry of improgran analgesiaMary M Heinricher; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Serotonin Modulation in Geriatric DepressionGwenn Smith; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Synthesis of Polyketides and TerpenesDavid A Evans; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a consequence, organic synthesis is a critical discipline that continues to have an important impact on the fields of both medicine and biology. ..
- ETHANOL EFFECTS ON BONE FORMATION IN PREGNANCYMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2006..The role of CYP2E1 and free radicals in the skeletal toxicity of ethanol during these periods will also be studied. ..
- ETHANOL METABOLISM IN PREGNANCY--ROLE OF DIETMartin Ronis; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- PET TRACERS FOR MYOCARDIAL FATTY ACID OXIDATIONTimothy DeGrado; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- NO DAMAGE TO FOLATE CYCLE IN THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEMKenneth Hensley; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Choline Tracers for Imaging of CancerTimothy DeGrado; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Molecular Patterning via Photocatalytic NanolithographyJane Bearinger; Fiscal Year: 2005..Document repeatable surface patterning of cells using photocatalysis and biocompatible surface chemistries 5. Demonstrate nanometer scale surface patterning with proteins and DNA ..