Genomes and Genes
Summary: Finely powdered native hydrous magnesium silicate. It is used as a dusting powder, either alone or with starch or boric acid, for medicinal and toilet preparations. It is also an excipient and filler for pills, tablets, and for dusting tablet molds. (From Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- Phase III intergroup study of talc poudrage vs talc slurry sclerosis for malignant pleural effusionCarolyn M Dresler
Head, Tobacco Unit, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Chest 127:909-15. 2005To demonstrate the efficacy, safety, and appropriate mode of instillation of talc for sclerosis in treatment of malignant pleural effusions (MPEs).
- Iodopovidone: an inexpensive and effective agent for chemical pleurodesisRitesh Agarwal
Lung Cancer 55:253-4. 2007
- Talc pleurodesis: basic fibroblast growth factor mediates pleural fibrosisVeena B Antony
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Florida, PO Box 100225, Gainesville, FL 32610 0225, USA
Chest 126:1522-8. 2004..Pleurodesis involves the introduction of a sclerosing agent into the pleural space. Talc is one of the most commonly used sclerosing agents in treating patients with recurrent, symptomatic malignant ..
- Carcinogenicity of carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talcRobertv Baan
Lancet Oncol 7:295-6. 2006
- Transforming growth factor beta induces vascular endothelial growth factor elaboration from pleural mesothelial cells in vivo and in vitroY C Gary Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37202, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:88-94. 2002..growth factor beta (TGF-beta) to produce pleurodesis, we observed that although TGF-beta was more effective than talc or doxycycline, it induced transient production of large pleural effusions...
- Pleural mesothelial cells mediate inflammatory and profibrotic responses in talc-induced pleurodesisMilena Marques P Acencio
Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lung 185:343-8. 2007Intrapleural talc is used to produce pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusions...
- Talc mediates angiostasis in malignant pleural effusions via endostatin inductionN Nasreen
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Dept of Medicine, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA
Eur Respir J 29:761-9. 2007b>Talc remains the most effective sclerosing agent for pleurodesis. However, its mechanism of action in resolving pleural malignant disease remains unclear...
- Talc seromadesis: a novel technique for the treatment of chronic seromas following breast surgeryKourosh Saeb-Parsy
Breast J 12:502-4. 2006
- Evidence that mesothelial cells regulate the acute inflammatory response in talc pleurodesisE Marchi
Pleura Laboratory Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur Respir J 28:929-32. 2006Intrapleural instillation of talc is used to produce pleurodesis in cases of recurrent malignant pleural effusions...
- Inflammation and clinical repercussions of pleurodesis induced by intrapleural talc administrationEduardo Henrique Genofre
Laboratory of Pleura, Pulmonary Division Heart Institute Incor University of São Paulo Medical School, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 62:627-34. 2007..Several agents have been studied and used, but talc continues to be the most popular...
- F-18 FDG PET/CT characterization of talc pleurodesis-induced pleural changes over time: a retrospective studyNghi C Nguyen
Division of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Radiology, School of Medicine, St Louis University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Nucl Med 34:886-90. 2009The current study characterized pleural changes induced by talc pleurodesis (TP), based on serial positron emission tomography/computer-tomography (PET/CT) with F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG).
- Interleukin-8 activates coagulation and correlates with survival after talc pleurodesisA Montes-Worboys
Institute of Biomedicine of Seville IBIS, HHUU Virgendel Rocío, Seville, Spain
Eur Respir J 35:160-6. 2010The aim of our study was to investigate whether interleukin (IL)-8 activates systemic coagulation after talc pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusion (MPE), and whether levels of IL-8 in plasma are related to early death after talc ..
- Synthesis and characterization of silver/talc nanocomposites using the wet chemical reduction methodKamyar Shameli
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 5:743-51. 2010..nanoparticles (Ag-NPs) were synthesized using the wet chemical reduction method on the external surface layer of talc mineral as a solid support...
- Who gains most? A 10-year experience with 611 thoracoscopic talc pleurodesesVolker Steger
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Schillerhoehe Hospital, Gerlingen, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1940-5. 2007Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis is a therapeutic option for recurrent pleural effusion.
- Talc and silver nitrate induce systemic inflammatory effects during the acute phase of experimental pleurodesis in rabbitsEvaldo Marchi
Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 125:2268-77. 2004s: To determine whether talc (TL) and silver nitrate (SN), two effective pleurodesis agents, induce a systemic inflammatory response in the acute phase of experimental pleurodesis in rabbits.
- Alternative widely available, inexpensive agents for pleurodesisOner Dikensoy
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, School of Medicine, Gaziantep University, Turkey
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:340-4. 2005..Although talc, parenteral tetracycline derivatives, and bleomycin are the most commonly used agents for pleurodesis, parenteral ..
- Is full postpleurodesis lung expansion a determinant of a successful outcome after talc pleurodesis?Ricardo Mingarini Terra
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Heart Institute InCor, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 136:361-8. 2009To analyze and compare radiologic lung expansion after talc pleurodesis performed either by videothoracoscopy or chest tube and correlate it with clinical outcome...
- Ultrastructural acute features of active remodeling after chemical pleurodesis induced by silver nitrate or talcEduardo H Genofre
Laboratory of Pleura, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of the São Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lung 183:197-207. 2005..Twenty seven rabbits received intrapleural injection of 0.5% silver nitrate (SN; N = 9) or 400 mg/kg talc slurry (N = 9) in 2 ml of saline solution; control rabbits (N = 9) received 2 ml of saline alone...
- Application of subcutaneous talc after axillary dissection in a porcine model safely reduces drain duration and prevents seromasDavid A Klima
Division of Gastrointestinal and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Department of Surgery, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC 28204, USA
J Am Coll Surg 214:338-47. 2012b>Talc, the most common pleurodesis agent, has recently been shown to prevent seromas and decrease drain duration when placed subcutaneously after large subcutaneous dissection accompanying open ventral hernia repair...
- Talc pleurodesis mimics pleural metastases: differentiation with positron emission tomography/computed tomographyNirit Weiss
Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Clin Nucl Med 28:811-4. 2003b>Talc pleurodesis is a technique used in the treatment of patients with persistent pleural effusions or pneumothorax not amenable to other treatment. These are commonly seen in patients with malignant thoracic neoplasms...
- Long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for primary spontaneous pneumothoraxS Györik
Dept of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 29:757-60. 2007..present study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax treated with talc pleurodesis...
- Comparison of pleurodesis by erythromycin, talc, doxycycline, and diazepam in a rabbit modelQuintessa Miller
Department of Surgery, Wright State University School of Medicine, Dayton, OH 45409, USA
J Surg Educ 64:41-5. 2007..b>Talc is the most frequently used chemical sclerosant; however, it has been known to induce Adult Respiratory Distress ..
- Effect of an indwelling pleural catheter vs chest tube and talc pleurodesis for relieving dyspnea in patients with malignant pleural effusion: the TIME2 randomized controlled trialHelen E Davies
Department of Respiratory Medicine, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Wales
JAMA 307:2383-9. 2012..Malignant pleural effusion causes disabling dyspnea in patients with a short life expectancy. Palliation is achieved by fluid drainage, but the most effective first-line method has not been determined...
- Agglomeration of Ibuprofen with talc by novel crystallo-co-agglomeration techniqueAtmaram Pawar
Department of Pharmaceutics, Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Poona College of Pharmacy, Erandwane, Pune 411038, Maharashtra State, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 5:e55. 2004The purpose of this research work was to obtain directly compressible agglomerates of ibuprofen with talc by a novel crystallo-co-agglomeration (CCA) technique, which is an extension of spherical crystallization...
- Design and evaluation of deformable talc agglomerates prepared by crystallo-co-agglomeration technique for generating heterogeneous matrixNamdeo Jadhav
Department of Pharmaceutics, Bharati Vidyapeeth College of Pharmacy, Kolhapur 416013, Maharashtra State, India
AAPS PharmSciTech 8:E59. 2007The crystallo-co-agglomeration technique was used to design directly compressible and deformable agglomerates of talc containing the low-dose drug bromhexine hydrochloride (BXH)...
- Comparison of side effects of oxytetracycline and talc pleurodesis: an experimental studyAlper Gozubuyuk
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Kirikkale University, School of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:128. 2010..Although several agents have been used, many questions have remained unanswered about their toxicity. Talc is the most commonly used agent for the treatment, with rare, serious complications reported...
- Talc sclerodhesis of persistent Morel-Lavallée lesions (posttraumatic pseudocysts): case report of 4 patientsShai Luria
Department of Orthopedic Surgery, The Hadassah Hebrew University Medical School, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
J Orthop Trauma 20:435-8. 2006..The standard practice has been repeated extensive surgical debridement. To avoid the need for such treatment, talc was used to sclerose the lesion in 4 patients treated between 2000 and 2003...
- A study of comparison of efficacy and safety of talc and povidone iodine for pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusionsSibes Kumar Das
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Calcutta National Medical College and Hospital, Kolkata 700014
J Indian Med Assoc 106:589-90, 592. 2008..The present study is to compare the effectiveness and safety of talc and povidone iodine as chemical agents for pleurodesis in patients of malignant pleural effusion...
- Pulmonary talcosis: imaging findingsEdson Marchiori
Department of Radiology, Fluminense Federal University, Rua Thomaz Cameron, 438, Valparaiso, Petropolis, RJ, CEP 25685 120, Brazil
Lung 188:165-71. 2010b>Talc is a mineral widely used in the ceramic, paper, plastics, rubber, paint, and cosmetic industries. Four distinct forms of pulmonary disease caused by talc have been defined...
- Respiratory effects from industrial talc exposure among former mining workersRosinelle Castelo Branco Ramos Loyola
Hospital das Clinicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Rev Saude Publica 44:541-7. 2010To evaluate late respiratory effects from occupational inhalation of talc contaminated with asbestos.
- [Case report of a rare occupational disease: a during life non-recognised occupational disease--talcosis]V Neumann
Deutsches Mesotheliomregister am Institut für Pathologie der Ruhr Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany
Pneumologie 65:471-6. 2011b>Talc is a hydrated magnesium silicate used in the chemical, ceramic, cosmetic, leather, paper and building industries. Interstitial lung disease - talcosis - due to exclusive talc inhalation is a rare form of pneumoconiosis...
- CT with histopathologic correlation of FDG uptake in a patient with pulmonary granuloma and pleural plaque caused by remote talc pleurodesisMinh Nguyen
Department of Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Atlanta VAMC, 1670 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:92-4. 2004
- Clinical outcomes and health-related quality of life after thoracoscopic talc pleurodesisBodo Schniewind
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
J Palliat Med 15:37-42. 2012..Health-related quality of life (QOL) is an important factor in palliative therapy; however, we are not aware of any studies that have examined the QOL of patients following thoracoscopic pleurodesis...
- An epidemiological study of talc-related respiratory morbidity among employees of a rubber industry in Shiraz-IranM Neghab
Occupational Health Department, School of Health, Shiraz University of Medical Science, Shiraz, Iran
Int Arch Occup Environ Health 80:539-46. 2007The main purpose of this study was to assess and characterize the pulmonary reactions associated with occupational exposure to talc dust.
- The primary role of iron-mediated lipid peroxidation in the differential cytotoxicity caused by two varieties of talc nanoparticles on A549 cells and lipid peroxidation inhibitory effect exerted by ascorbic acidMohd Javed Akhtar
Fibre Toxicology Division, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research CSIR, Lucknow 226 001, UP, India
Toxicol In Vitro 24:1139-47. 2010b>Talc particles, the basic ingredient in different kinds of talc-based cosmetic and pharmaceutical products, pose a health risk to pulmonary and ovarian systems due to domestic and occupational exposures...
- CT appearances of talc pleurodesisS Narayanaswamy
Department of Radiology, Derriford Hospital, Plymouth, UK
Clin Radiol 62:233-7. 2007To report the computed tomography (CT) appearances of talc pleurodesis in the management of patients with pleural effusions and spontaneous pneumothorax.
- Mechanisms of pleurodesisFrancisco Rodriguez-Panadero
Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio, Instituto de Biomedicina de Sevilla, and CIBER Enfermedades Respiratorias, Sevilla, Spain
Respiration 83:91-8. 2012..There is general agreement that talc obtains the best results, and there are also preliminary experimental studies suggesting that it can induce ..
- Perineal application of cosmetic talc and risk of invasive epithelial ovarian cancer: a meta-analysis of 11,933 subjects from sixteen observational studiesMichael Huncharek
Department of Clinical Oncology, Marshfield Clinic Cancer Center, Marshfield, WI, USA
Anticancer Res 23:1955-60. 2003Prior epidemiological studies suggest an association between perineal cosmetic talc use and increased risk of epithelial ovarian cancer. A meta-analysis was performed to evaluate this suspected association.
- Is talc pleurodesis safe for young patients following primary spontaneous pneumothorax?Ian Hunt
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Guy s Hospital, St Thomas Street, London, UK
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 6:117-20. 2007..The question addressed was whether talc used for pleurodesis in young patients with a spontaneous pneumothorax has any long-term adverse effects...
- Efficacy of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis for porous diaphragm syndrome in patients with refractory hepatic hydrothoraxRobert J Cerfolio
Division of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:457-9. 2006..Patients with recurrent, refractory hepatic hydrothorax from porous diaphragm syndrome represent a therapeutic challenge with few options...
- Single versus multiple access video-assisted thoracic surgery in the treatment of malignant pleural effusionStefano Margaritora
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:397; author reply 397-8. 2007
- Carcinogenic hazards from inhaled carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talc not containing asbestos or asbestiform fibers: recent evaluations by an IARC Monographs Working GroupRobert A Baan
Carcinogen Identification and Evaluation Group, WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Inhal Toxicol 19:213-28. 2007..IARC Monographs Working Group reevaluated the carcinogenic hazards to humans of carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talc, which belong to the group of poorly soluble, low-toxicity particles...
- Thoracoscopy talc poudrage : a 15-year experienceJ R de Campos
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of San Paulo, Medical School, San Paulo, Brazil
Chest 119:801-6. 2001To review our experience with thoracoscopy and talc poudrage during the previous 15 years with regards to efficacy, side effects, morbidity, and mortality.
- Talc preparations used for pleurodesis vary markedly from one preparation to anotherJ Ferrer
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 119:1901-5. 2001BACKGROUND: At the present time, talc is the one of the agents most commonly used for the production of a pleurodesis...
- Treatment of malignant pleural effusion: PleuRx catheter or talc pleurodesis? A cost-effectiveness analysisAaron M Olden
Division of Ethics, Humanities, and Palliative Care, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Palliat Med 13:59-65. 2010..may be quick and relatively easy to perform, but has a high recurrence rate; chest tube placement with talc slurry is quite effective at achieving pleurodesis, but this procedure can be quite painful and requires ..
- An Audit of medical thoracoscopy and talc poudrage for pneumothorax prevention in advanced COPDPyng Lee
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Chest 125:1315-20. 2004To prospectively study all patients with COPD and spontaneous pneumothorax (SP) who underwent thoracoscopic talc poudrage (TP) under local anesthesia to determine its efficacy and safety in recurrence prevention.
- Thoracoscopy and talc poudrage in the management of hepatic hydrothoraxJ R Milanez de Campos
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein and Hospital das Clínicas of the University of São Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 118:13-7. 2000..Patients and methods: From May 1985 through May 1999, 10 men and 8 women, with a mean age of 57.6 years (range, 26 to 76 years), underwent 21 therapeutic thoracoscopies to achieve pleurodesis by application of talc.
- Use of tunnelled catheters for malignant pleural effusions in patients fit for pleurodesisA Tremblay
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Health Sciences Center, Calgary, AB, Canada
Eur Respir J 30:759-62. 2007..Tunnelled pleural catheters are an effective way of controlling malignant pleural effusions when used as first-line treatment in patients who appear to be candidates for pleurodesis procedures...
- A randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of cosmetic talc compared with iodopovidone for chemical pleurodesisRitesh Agarwal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Respirology 16:1064-9. 2011b>Talc is an effective and widely used agent for chemical pleurodesis. However, limited availability and high cost hamper the routine use of talc in resource poor countries...
- Early and late morbidity and mortality and life expectancy following thoracoscopic talc insufflation for control of malignant pleural effusions: a review of 400 casesNikolaos Barbetakis
Thoracic Surgery Department, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A, Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki, 54007, Greece
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:27. 2010..It represents a terminal condition with short median survival (in terms of months) and the goal is palliation. Aim of our study is to analyze morbidity, mortality and life expectancy following videothoracoscopic talc poudrage.
- Pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusion: talc, toxicity and where next?Helen E Davies
Thorax 63:572-4. 2008
- Perineal use of talc and risk of ovarian cancerH Langseth
The Cancer Registry of Norway, Institute of populationbased, Cancer Research, Oslo, Norway
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:358-60. 2008..Some environmental exposures, notably talc and asbestos, have been suspected as ovarian carcinogens.
- Talc poudrage versus talc slurry in the treatment of malignant pleural effusion. A prospective comparative studyAlessandro Stefani
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of General Surgery and Surgical Specialities, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:827-32. 2006The aim of this study was to investigate the effectiveness, safety and appropriate mode of administration of intrapleural talc for pleurodesis, in the treatment of malignant pleural effusion (MPE).
- The evidence on the effectiveness of management for malignant pleural effusion: a systematic reviewCarol Tan
Thoracic Unit, Guy s Hospital, St Thomas Street, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:829-38. 2006..b>Talc tended to be associated with fewer recurrences when compared to bleomycin (RR, 0.64; 95% CI, 0.34-1...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis in the management of symptomatic hepatic hydrothoraxDino Ferrante
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 005, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:3172-5. 2002Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis is a therapeutic option for patients with hepatic hydrothorax that is refractory to medical therapy...
- Clinical efficacy and safety of thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusionsSteffen Kolschmann
St George Medical Center, Robert Koch Hospital, Nikolai Rumjanzew Str 100, D 04207 Leipzig, Germany
Chest 128:1431-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of pleurodesis by thoracoscopic talc poudrage (TTP) in malignant pleural effusions (MPEs).
- Pleurodesis induced by talc or silver nitrate: evaluation of collagen and elastic fibers in pleural remodelingLeila Antonangelo
Laboratory of Pleura Pulmonary Division and Division of Applied Physiology, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Lung 184:105-11. 2006This study evaluated the extracellular matrix (collagen and elastic fibers) in pleurodesis induced by intrapleural talc (TL) or silver nitrate (SN)...
- Inhalational pulmonary talcosis: high-resolution CT findings in 3 patientsEdson Marchiori
Departmento de Radiologia, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Thorac Imaging 19:41-4. 2004We describe the high-resolution CT findings in 3 patients with pulmonary talcosis acquired by the inhalation of talc. The predominant abnormalities consisted of small centrilobular and subpleural nodules and conglomerated masses ..
- Risk of lung cancer following exposure to carbon black, titanium dioxide and talc: results from two case-control studies in MontrealAgnihotram V Ramanakumar
Centre de Recherche du CHUM, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Cancer 122:183-9. 2008..evaluated the carcinogenicity of three poorly soluble weakly-toxic substances: carbon black, titanium dioxide and talc. Though there is evidence of carcinogenity in experimental animals for these substances, the evidence in humans is ..
- Talc retinopathyVinay A Shah
Ophthalmology 115:755-755.e2. 2008
- The neutrophilic and fibrinolytic response to talc can predict the outcome of pleurodesisK Psathakis
Department of Pneumonology, Army General Hospital of Athens, Athens, Greece, and Respiratory Endoscopy Unit, Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universiatrio Viergen del Rocío, Sevilla, Spain
Eur Respir J 27:817-21. 2006It was hypothesised that monitoring neutrophil and D-dimer (DD) levels into the pleural fluid, after talc instillation, could predict the outcome of pleurodesis...
- Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and CT after talc pleurodesisBoon Han Kwek
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Chest 125:2356-60. 2004b>Talc pleurodesis is widely performed for the management of persistent pneumothorax or pleural effusion, particularly malignant effusions...
- Videothoracoscopic talc poudrage in primary spontaneous pneumothorax: a single-institution experience in 861 casesGiuseppe Cardillo
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Carlo Forlanini Hospital, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Medicine University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:322-8. 2006We sought to evaluate the outcome of 861 patients treated with videothoracoscopic talc poudrage for primary spontaneous pneumothorax.
- Safety of pleurodesis with talc poudrage in malignant pleural effusion: a prospective cohort studyJulius P Janssen
Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Lancet 369:1535-9. 2007b>Talc is the most effective chemical pleurodesis agent for patients with malignant pleural effusion...
- False positive 18F-FDG-PET/CT in a patient after talc pleurodesisHojjat Ahmadzadehfar
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Lung Cancer 58:418-21. 2007..After diagnosis of emphysemic bullae, the patient underwent talc pleurodesis and had no further complaints...
- Who's (still) afraid of talc?M Noppen
Eur Respir J 29:619-21. 2007
- Intrapleural low-dose silver nitrate elicits more pleural inflammation and less systemic inflammation than low-dose talcEvaldo Marchi
Pleura Laboratory, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil, Rua Lucia B Passarin, 590, Ap 42, Jundiai, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 128:1798-804. 2005Several systemic effects have been described after talc pleurodesis. The aim of this study was to assess the systemic response induced by low, nonpleurodesis-inducing doses of talc and silver nitrate in an experimental model in rabbits.
- Some reflections on talc poudrageThomas F Molnar
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1147; author reply 1147-8. 2007
- Foreign body post-varicella granulomas due to talcC Lazaro
Department of Dermatology, Lozano Blesa University Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:75-8. 2006..with multiple facial granulomas, persisting more than 6 months and related to the use of topical anti-pruriginous talc powder applied to papuloexudative lesions caused by varicella...
- Lung damage in experimental pleurodesis induced by silver nitrate or talc: 1-year follow-upFrancisco S Vargas
Pleura Laboratory, Division of Respiratory Diseases, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, R Itapeva 500 cjto 4C, Bela Vista, Sao Paulo, Brazil CEP 01332 000
Chest 122:2122-6. 2002To compare the lung damage caused by intrapleural silver nitrate (SN) with that caused by talc over a 12-month period.
- Early and late mortality after pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusionAlain Bernard
Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Universitaire, Dijon, France
Ann Thorac Surg 74:213-7. 2002....
- Use of small-bore vs large-bore chest tubes for treatment of malignant pleural effusionsW Parulekar
National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group, Queen s University, Kingston ON
Chest 120:19-25. 2001..To evaluate the efficacy of small-bore (12 French vanSonnenberg) catheters compared with standard large-bore chest tubes in the drainage and sclerotherapy of malignant pleural effusions...
- A comparative study of pleurodesis using talc slurry and bleomycin in the management of malignant pleural effusionsK C Ong
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Respirology 5:99-103. 2000..A randomized clinical trial was conducted to compare the efficacy of two commonly used agents, talc and bleomycin, for the pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusions.
- Effective treatment of malignant pleural effusion by minimal invasive thoracic surgery: thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis and pleuroperitoneal shunts in 101 patientsM Schulze
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Christian Albrechts University Hospital, Kiel, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1809-12. 2001..For effective palliation of patients with malignant pleural effusion due to advanced neoplastic disease, any proposed treatment should have low procedure-related mortality and morbidity...
- Experimental pleurodesis in rabbits induced by silver nitrate or talc: 1-year follow-upF S Vargas
Laboratory of Pleura, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Heart Institute, InCor, , Brazil
Chest 119:1516-20. 2001STUDY OBJECTIVE: To compare the pleurodesis results from the intrapleural injection of silver nitrate and talc slurry over an observation period of 12 months in rabbits. DESIGN: Rabbits were randomized to receive 2 mL of 0...
- Influence of particle size on extrapleural talc dissemination after talc slurry pleurodesisJaume Ferrer
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital General Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 122:1018-27. 2002Cases of acute respiratory failure reported after talc pleurodesis have raised concerns about its safety. It has been speculated that this pulmonary inflammatory syndrome is secondary to the extrapleural dissemination of the talc particles...
- Mortality among workers at a talc mining and milling facilityYasushi Honda
Environmental Health Sciences Program, Institute of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Ann Occup Hyg 46:575-85. 2002This study evaluated mortality among workers at a talc mining and milling facility.
- Influence of talc dose on extrapleural talc dissemination after talc pleurodesisJuan F Montes
Departament deBiologia Cel lular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:348-55. 2003This study was designed to ascertain, in a rabbit model, extrapleural talc deposition and the related inflammatory response after talc slurry pleurodesis with two clinical doses, 200 and 50 mg/kg...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis is effective for maintenance of peritoneal dialysis in acute hydrothorax complicating peritoneal dialysisSydney Tang
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, Peoples Republic of China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:804-8. 2003..Its clinical course and treatment outcome after a recently advocated technique of video-assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) talc pleurodesis remains unclear.
- Distribution of calibrated talc after intrapleural administration: an experimental study in ratsAnne Fraticelli
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Chest 122:1737-41. 2002Many reports have shown that talc is the most effective and least expensive agent for the creation of a pleural symphysis...
- Talc for pleurodesis?Richard W Light
Chest 122:1506-8. 2002
- An update of a mortality study of talc miners and millers in ItalyMaurizio Coggiola
Dipartimento di Traumatologia, Ortopedia e Medicina del Lavoro dell Università di Torino, Turin, Italy
Am J Ind Med 44:63-9. 2003While talc containing asbestiform fibers is considered a human carcinogen, only limited animal and human data are available on non-asbestiform talc...
- Long-term follow-up of video-assisted talc pleurodesis in malignant recurrent pleural effusionsG Cardillo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Carlo Forlanini Hospital, Via Portuense 332, 00149, Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:302-5; discussion 305-6. 2002..Recurrent pleural effusion is a common condition and often presents a challenge for treatment. The aim of this report is to evaluate the long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic management of malignant recurrent pleural effusions...
- Transforming growth factor-beta2 induces pleurodesis significantly faster than talcY C Gary Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37202
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:640-4. 2001..Conventional pleurodesing agents such as talc act by inducing pleural injury, which results in acute inflammation and fibrosis...
- Systemic distribution of talc after intrapleural administration in ratsE C Werebe
Department of Cardiology and Pulmonary Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 115:190-3. 1999Many reports have shown the efficacy of talc to induce an effective pleurodesis. However, there is little information about the side effects related to this sclerosing agent...
- A cohort mortality and nested case-control study of French and Austrian talc workersP Wild
Institut National de Recherche et de Securite, Département Epidémiologie, Vandoeuvre, France
Occup Environ Med 59:98-105. 2002To study whether the mortality from non-malignant and malignant respiratory diseases of workers employed in French and Austrian talc mines and mills is related to their long term occupational exposure.
- Talc powder vs doxycycline in the control of malignant pleural effusion: a prospective, randomized trialJarosław Kuzdzał
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Specialized Hospital of Pulmonary Medicine, Zakopane, Poland
Med Sci Monit 9:PI54-9. 2003..The aim of the study was to assess the efficiency of talc powder and doxycycline in pleurodesis in patients with malignant pleural effusion in comparable conditions.
- Serious complications with talc slurry pleurodesisA Brant
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Respirology 6:181-5. 2001OBJECTIVE: Talc is a highly efficacious and commonly employed agent for chemical pleurodesis, which has generally been felt to be well tolerated...
- Prospective randomized trial of silver nitrate vs talc slurry in pleurodesis for symptomatic malignant pleural effusionsMarcello da Silveira Paschoalini
Perola Byington Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 128:684-9. 2005To compare the efficacy and the safety of talc slurry and silver nitrate (SN) in the treatment of symptomatic malignant pleural effusions.
- Randomized trials describing lung inflammation after pleurodesis with talc of varying particle sizeNick A Maskell
Oxford Pleural Disease Clinic, Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe NHS Trust, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:377-82. 2004We report two trials describing whether talc pleurodesis with a mean particle size of less than 15 microm ("mixed" talc) produces more lung and systemic inflammation than tetracycline or "graded" talc (most particles < 10 microm were ..
- Prospective study of talc use and ovarian cancerD M Gertig
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:249-52. 2000Perineal talc use has been associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer in a number of case-control studies; however, this association remains controversial because of limited supporting biologic evidence and the potential for ..
- Talc retinopathySamantha Fraser-Bell
Department of Ophthalmology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:432-3. 2002A 45 year old man presented with talc retinopathy that had been present for decades. The static nature of this condition indicates that, in the absence of ongoing intravenous drug use, ophthalmological follow up is not necessary
- An autopsy case of primary pericardial mesothelioma in arc cutter exposed to asbestos through talc pencilsHiroshi Fujiwara
Yodogawa Christian Hospital, 2 9 26, Awaji, Higashiyodogawa ku, Osaka 533 0032, Japan
Ind Health 43:346-50. 2005..He had often had the chance to inhale dust generated by sharpening the slate pencils composed of talc. He was admitted for heart failure due to pericardial tumor, but later died...
- [Thoracoscopic video-assisted talcum pleurodesis (TTP)--effective treatment of malignant pleural effusion]G Brunagel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefässchirurgie der Rheinischen Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 127:453-5. 2002..Aim of the palliative therapeutic procedure should be a fast, efficient and pain free treatment of the malignant pleural effusions...
- Distribution of talc suspension during treatment of malignant pleural effusion with talc pleurodesisHans Jurgen Mager
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Heart Lung Center Utrecht, Sint Antonius Ziekenhuis, PO Box 2500, NL 3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Lung Cancer 36:77-81. 2002b>Talc pleurodesis is an effective technique for the management of symptomatic malignant pleural effusions. It is assumed that a good dispersion of talc suspension contributes to the final success of this treatment...
- The treatment by V.A.T.S. and M.A.C. of secondary neoplastic pleural effusion in the old patient (> 70 years)S Griffo
Chair of Thoracic Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Biomed 76:72-5. 2005..Numerous methods and substances have been proposed in the time for the treatment of the N.P.E. The talc pleurodesis executed in the old patients (> 70 years) by means of the V.A.T.S...
- Predictors of acute lung injury and severe hypoxemia in patients undergoing operative talc pleurodesisTomasz J Kuzniar
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1976-81. 2006Acute lung injury (ALI) is a life-threatening complication of talc pleurodesis...
- Video-assisted management of malignant pleural effusion in breast carcinomaRoberto Gasparri
Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Cancer 106:271-6. 2006..The results of video-thoracoscopic approach (VATS) chemical pleurodesis was analyzed in patients with recurrent pleural effusion from breast carcinoma...
- Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for the treatment of spontaneous pneumothoraxP Pletinckx
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, AZ Maria Middelares, Sint Jozef, Gent, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 105:504-7. 2005During the Belgian Surgical Week in May 2004 some controversy existed on the optimal treatment of spontaneous pneumothorax. Doubts raised about the safety of talc in performing pleurodesis because of reported complications.
- [Treatment of pneumothorax]M Klopp
Chirurgische Abteilung, Thoraxklinik am Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Amalienstrasse 5, 69126, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:655-68. 2007..For the latter, open thoracotomy and repair is still the recommended approach...
- [Thoracoscopic pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusions]C Mitrofan
Clinica de Chirurgie Toracică, Facultatea de Medicina, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 109:799-803. 2005..In our study, the talc powder (5g) was successfully as sclerosing agent...
- GRIEF INTERVENTIONS FOR PLAS, ADOLESCENTS AND GUARDIANSMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 1999..are provided; or 2) an enhanced care condition that provides three modules of coping skills intervention (Project TALC: Teens and Adults learning to Communicate) plus social services...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abrasion requires hospitalization and general anesthesia, the most common irritant used is talc, which has occasional fatal side effects, and the induction of a pleural burn can be extremely painful...
- Psychosocial Support to HIV/AIDS Affected Children in ZimbabweDanuta Kasprzyk; Fiscal Year: 2009..data from current research, to adapt and implement a psychosocial support and coping skills intervention (Project TALC/TLC/CLEAR) with adolescent children (12-18) living with an HIV-positive parent; 2) to pilot test the intervention ..
- Identifying Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility Alleles using Genome-Wide Scan DataCELESTE LEIGH contact PEARCE; Fiscal Year: 2010..factors associated with ovarian cancer have been identified, including menopausal hormone therapy use, perineal talc use, obesity, infertility, parity, breast-feeding, oral contraceptive use, and tubal ligation, In this proposal we ..
- Inflammation and Ovarian CancerRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have suggested that inflammation may be involved. Ovulation, endometriosis, and talc use all promote inflammation, and all increase the risk of ovarian cancer; tubal ligation and hysterectomy prevent ..
- IMPACT OF AIDS ON ADOLESCENTS TRANSITION TO ADULTHOODMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2002..we have successfully designed, implemented, and assessed the impact of an enhanced intervention program (Project TALC) with Parents with AIDS (PWA), their adolescent children (Youth of PWA), and the new Caregivers in a randomized ..
- Enzymatic Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural EffusionsLarry Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2005..formulation to maximize safety and effectiveness in vivo, and 2) comparing responses following enzymatic treatment to those following talc slurry, the current standard non-surgical treatment for malignant effusions in clinical practice.
- MUC-1 related cancer immunity: determinants and predictive significanceDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings of our study could provide the basis for developing a safe cancer- preventing vaccine for ovarian cancer and perhaps other MUC1-expressing tumors. ..
- OVARIAN CANCER RISK AND HYPERGONADOTROPIC HYPOGONADISMDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 1993..Reproductive variables, oral contraceptive (OC) use, and talc exposure will also be assessed to determine their interrelationship with the environmental and biochemical risk ..
- Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Obstructive E*Todd Demmy; Fiscal Year: 2007..This proposal will be instrumental in the development of a novel PDT drug without long-term restrictions of patients' sun exposure. ..
- Risk for New onset of Depression in Perimenopausal WomenDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- MUC-1 related cancer immunity: determinants and predictive significanceDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of our study could provide the basis for developing a safe cancer- preventing vaccine for ovarian cancer and perhaps other MUC1-expressing tumors. ..
- OVARIAN CANCER RISK AND HYPERGONADOTROPIC HYPOGONADISMDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Talc in genital hygiene increased risk predominantly for serous and undifferentiated ovarian cancers and among those who ..
- EVAPORATIVE LOSSES FROM SEMI-VOLATILE MIST SAMPLESPeter Raynor; Fiscal Year: 2002..Reevaluated data may be able to be used more effectively in epidemiological studies on the health effects of metalworking fluid mists. ..
- Genes, Hormones & Environment in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..ovarian cancer risk, including Ahr, CYP1A1, COMT, MnSOD, GST, and NAT and may interact with exposures like genital talc. Protection from ovarian cancer is associated with a variety of antioxidants including lycopene, carotene, ginkgo, ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND BIOLOGIC PREDICTORS OF IVF SUCCESSDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Effects of Spray Surfactant and Particle Charge on Respirable Dust ControlPeter C Raynor; Fiscal Year: 2010..The data generated in this study will help mine operators make informed decisions about the type of surfactant to use in spray systems to maximize dust capture depending on the characteristics of the coal they are mining. ..
- Epidemiology of protein glutathiolationJoshua Muscat; Fiscal Year: 2007..Determine the effects of MAC supplementation after adjustment for age, genetic polymorphisms and other factors. ..
- Mammographic Densities: In the Pathway to Breast Cancer?KARIN ROSENBLATT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Polybrominated Biphenyls and Cancer RiskKARIN ROSENBLATT; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Partners Southwestern Clinical Epidemiology/ValidationDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007....