Summary: Finely powdered native hydrous magnesium silicate. It is used as a dusting powder, either alone or with starch or boric acid, for medicinal and toilet preparations. It is also an excipient and filler for pills, tablets, and for dusting tablet molds. (From Merck Index, 11th ed)
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Phase III intergroup study of talc poudrage vs talc slurry sclerosis for malignant pleural effusionCarolyn M Dresler
Head, Tobacco Unit, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Chest 127:909-15. 2005To demonstrate the efficacy, safety, and appropriate mode of instillation of talc for sclerosis in treatment of malignant pleural effusions (MPEs).
- Iodopovidone: an inexpensive and effective agent for chemical pleurodesisRitesh Agarwal
Lung Cancer 55:253-4. 2007
- Synthesis and characterization of silver/talc nanocomposites using the wet chemical reduction methodKamyar Shameli
Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Selangor, Malaysia
Int J Nanomedicine 5:743-51. 2010..nanoparticles (Ag-NPs) were synthesized using the wet chemical reduction method on the external surface layer of talc mineral as a solid support...
- The evidence on the effectiveness of management for malignant pleural effusion: a systematic reviewCarol Tan
Thoracic Unit, Guy's Hospital, St Thomas' Street, London SE1 9RT, United Kingdom
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 29:829-38. 2006..b>Talc tended to be associated with fewer recurrences when compared to bleomycin (RR, 0.64; 95% CI, 0.34-1...
- Use of tunnelled catheters for malignant pleural effusions in patients fit for pleurodesisA Tremblay
Division of Respiratory Medicine, Health Sciences Center, Calgary, AB, Canada
Eur Respir J 30:759-62. 2007..Tunnelled pleural catheters are an effective way of controlling malignant pleural effusions when used as first-line treatment in patients who appear to be candidates for pleurodesis procedures...
- Who gains most? A 10-year experience with 611 thoracoscopic talc pleurodesesVolker Steger
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Schillerhoehe Hospital, Gerlingen, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 83:1940-5. 2007Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis is a therapeutic option for recurrent pleural effusion.
- Thoracoscopy talc poudrage : a 15-year experienceJ R de Campos
Division of Thoracic Surgery, University of San Paulo, Medical School, San Paulo, Brazil
Chest 119:801-6. 2001To review our experience with thoracoscopy and talc poudrage during the previous 15 years with regards to efficacy, side effects, morbidity, and mortality.
- Talc poudrage versus talc slurry in the treatment of malignant pleural effusion. A prospective comparative studyAlessandro Stefani
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of General Surgery and Surgical Specialities, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 30:827-32. 2006..of this study was to investigate the effectiveness, safety and appropriate mode of administration of intrapleural talc for pleurodesis, in the treatment of malignant pleural effusion (MPE)...
- Efficacy of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis for porous diaphragm syndrome in patients with refractory hepatic hydrothoraxRobert J Cerfolio
Division of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:457-9. 2006..Patients with recurrent, refractory hepatic hydrothorax from porous diaphragm syndrome represent a therapeutic challenge with few options...
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis in the management of symptomatic hepatic hydrothoraxDino Ferrante
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-005, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:3172-5. 2002OBJECTIVES: Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery with talc pleurodesis is a therapeutic option for patients with hepatic hydrothorax that is refractory to medical therapy...
- Is full postpleurodesis lung expansion a determinant of a successful outcome after talc pleurodesis?Ricardo Mingarini Terra
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Heart Institute InCor, Hospital das Clinicas, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 136:361-8. 2009To analyze and compare radiologic lung expansion after talc pleurodesis performed either by videothoracoscopy or chest tube and correlate it with clinical outcome...
- Talc preparations used for pleurodesis vary markedly from one preparation to anotherJ Ferrer
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 119:1901-5. 2001BACKGROUND: At the present time, talc is the one of the agents most commonly used for the production of a pleurodesis...
- Thoracoscopy and talc poudrage in the management of hepatic hydrothoraxJ R Milanez de Campos
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital Israelita Albert Einstein and Hospital das Clínicas of the University of São Paulo Medical School, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 118:13-7. 2000..Patients and methods: From May 1985 through May 1999, 10 men and 8 women, with a mean age of 57.6 years (range, 26 to 76 years), underwent 21 therapeutic thoracoscopies to achieve pleurodesis by application of talc.
- Treatment of malignant pleural effusion: PleuRx catheter or talc pleurodesis? A cost-effectiveness analysisAaron M Olden
Division of Ethics, Humanities, and Palliative Care, University of Rochester, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
J Palliat Med 13:59-65. 2010..may be quick and relatively easy to perform, but has a high recurrence rate; chest tube placement with talc slurry is quite effective at achieving pleurodesis, but this procedure can be quite painful and requires ..
- Single versus multiple access video-assisted thoracic surgery in the treatment of malignant pleural effusionStefano Margaritora
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 32:397; author reply 397-8. 2007
- Pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusion: talc, toxicity and where next?Helen E Davies
Thorax 63:572-4. 2008
- Early and late morbidity and mortality and life expectancy following thoracoscopic talc insufflation for control of malignant pleural effusions: a review of 400 casesNikolaos Barbetakis
Thoracic Surgery Department, Theagenio Cancer Hospital, A, Simeonidi 2, Thessaloniki, 54007, Greece
J Cardiothorac Surg 5:27. 2010..It represents a terminal condition with short median survival (in terms of months) and the goal is palliation. Aim of our study is to analyze morbidity, mortality and life expectancy following videothoracoscopic talc poudrage.
- Perineal use of talc and risk of ovarian cancerH Langseth
The Cancer Registry of Norway, Institute of populationbased, Cancer Research, Oslo, Norway
J Epidemiol Community Health 62:358-60. 2008..Some environmental exposures, notably talc and asbestos, have been suspected as ovarian carcinogens.
- A randomized controlled trial of the efficacy of cosmetic talc compared with iodopovidone for chemical pleurodesisRitesh Agarwal
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, India
Respirology 16:1064-9. 2011b>Talc is an effective and widely used agent for chemical pleurodesis. However, limited availability and high cost hamper the routine use of talc in resource poor countries...
- Talc for pleurodesis?Richard W Light
Chest 122:1506-8. 2002
- Distribution of calibrated talc after intrapleural administration: an experimental study in ratsAnne Fraticelli
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, , Marseille, France
Chest 122:1737-41. 2002STUDY OBJECTIVE: Many reports have shown that talc is the most effective and least expensive agent for the creation of a pleural symphysis...
- False positive 18F-FDG-PET/CT in a patient after talc pleurodesisHojjat Ahmadzadehfar
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University Hospital Bonn, Sigmund Freud Strasse 25, 53127 Bonn, Germany
Lung Cancer 58:418-21. 2007..After diagnosis of emphysemic bullae, the patient underwent talc pleurodesis and had no further complaints...
- Talc powder vs doxycycline in the control of malignant pleural effusion: a prospective, randomized trialJarosław Kuzdzał
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Specialized Hospital of Pulmonary Medicine, Zakopane, Poland
Med Sci Monit 9:PI54-9. 2003..The aim of the study was to assess the efficiency of talc powder and doxycycline in pleurodesis in patients with malignant pleural effusion in comparable conditions.
- An update of a mortality study of talc miners and millers in ItalyMaurizio Coggiola
Dipartimento di Traumatologia, Ortopedia e Medicina del Lavoro dell Università di Torino, Turin, Italy
Am J Ind Med 44:63-9. 2003While talc containing asbestiform fibers is considered a human carcinogen, only limited animal and human data are available on non-asbestiform talc...
- Risk of lung cancer following exposure to carbon black, titanium dioxide and talc: results from two case-control studies in MontrealAgnihotram V Ramanakumar
Centre de Recherche du CHUM, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Int J Cancer 122:183-9. 2008..evaluated the carcinogenicity of three poorly soluble weakly-toxic substances: carbon black, titanium dioxide and talc. Though there is evidence of carcinogenity in experimental animals for these substances, the evidence in humans is ..
- Talc retinopathyVinay A Shah
Ophthalmology 115:755-755.e2. 2008
- Carcinogenic hazards from inhaled carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talc not containing asbestos or asbestiform fibers: recent evaluations by an IARC Monographs Working GroupRobert A Baan
Carcinogen Identification and Evaluation Group, WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Inhal Toxicol 19:213-28. 2007..IARC Monographs Working Group reevaluated the carcinogenic hazards to humans of carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talc, which belong to the group of poorly soluble, low-toxicity particles...
- Lung damage in experimental pleurodesis induced by silver nitrate or talc: 1-year follow-upFrancisco S Vargas
Pleura Laboratory, Division of Respiratory Diseases, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, R Itapeva 500 cjto 4C, Bela Vista, Sao Paulo, Brazil CEP 01332 000
Chest 122:2122-6. 2002To compare the lung damage caused by intrapleural silver nitrate (SN) with that caused by talc over a 12-month period.
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis is effective for maintenance of peritoneal dialysis in acute hydrothorax complicating peritoneal dialysisSydney Tang
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong SAR, Peoples' Republic of China
Nephrol Dial Transplant 18:804-8. 2003..clinical course and treatment outcome after a recently advocated technique of video-assisted thoracoscopic (VATS) talc pleurodesis remains unclear...
- Influence of talc dose on extrapleural talc dissemination after talc pleurodesisJuan F Montes
Departament deBiologia Cel.lular, Facultat de Biologia, Universitat de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:348-55. 2003This study was designed to ascertain, in a rabbit model, extrapleural talc deposition and the related inflammatory response after talc slurry pleurodesis with two clinical doses, 200 and 50 mg/kg...
- CT with histopathologic correlation of FDG uptake in a patient with pulmonary granuloma and pleural plaque caused by remote talc pleurodesisMinh Nguyen
Department of Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Atlanta VAMC, 1670 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 182:92-4. 2004
- Carcinogenicity of carbon black, titanium dioxide, and talcRobertv Baan
Lancet Oncol 7:295-6. 2006
- The neutrophilic and fibrinolytic response to talc can predict the outcome of pleurodesisK Psathakis
Department of Pneumonology, Army General Hospital of Athens, Athens, Greece, and Respiratory Endoscopy Unit, Unidad Médico Quirúrgica de Enfermedades Respiratorias, Hospital Universiatrio Viergen del Rocío, Sevilla, Spain
Eur Respir J 27:817-21. 2006It was hypothesised that monitoring neutrophil and D-dimer (DD) levels into the pleural fluid, after talc instillation, could predict the outcome of pleurodesis...
- Videothoracoscopic talc poudrage in primary spontaneous pneumothorax: a single-institution experience in 861 casesGiuseppe Cardillo
Thoracic Surgery Unit, Carlo Forlanini Hospital, Azienda Ospedaliera San Camillo Forlanini, Medicine University of Rome La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:322-8. 2006We sought to evaluate the outcome of 861 patients treated with videothoracoscopic talc poudrage for primary spontaneous pneumothorax.
- Foreign body post-varicella granulomas due to talcC Lazaro
Department of Dermatology, Lozano Blesa University Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 20:75-8. 2006..with multiple facial granulomas, persisting more than 6 months and related to the use of topical anti-pruriginous talc powder applied to papuloexudative lesions caused by varicella...
- A comparative study of pleurodesis using talc slurry and bleomycin in the management of malignant pleural effusionsK C Ong
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Respirology 5:99-103. 2000..A randomized clinical trial was conducted to compare the efficacy of two commonly used agents, talc and bleomycin, for the pleurodesis of malignant pleural effusions.
- Intrapleural low-dose silver nitrate elicits more pleural inflammation and less systemic inflammation than low-dose talcEvaldo Marchi
Pleura Laboratory, Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute InCor, University of Sao Paulo Medical School, Brazil, Rua Lucia B Passarin, 590, Ap 42, Jundiai, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 128:1798-804. 2005Several systemic effects have been described after talc pleurodesis. The aim of this study was to assess the systemic response induced by low, nonpleurodesis-inducing doses of talc and silver nitrate in an experimental model in rabbits.
- Clinical efficacy and safety of thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusionsSteffen Kolschmann
St George Medical Center, Robert Koch Hospital, Nikolai Rumjanzew Str 100, D 04207 Leipzig, Germany
Chest 128:1431-5. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the long-term efficacy and safety of pleurodesis by thoracoscopic talc poudrage (TTP) in malignant pleural effusions (MPEs).
- Who's (still) afraid of talc?M Noppen
Eur Respir J 29:619-21. 2007
- Some reflections on talc poudrageThomas F Molnar
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 31:1147; author reply 1147-8. 2007
- Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography and CT after talc pleurodesisBoon Han Kwek
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Chest 125:2356-60. 2004BACKGROUND: Talc pleurodesis is widely performed for the management of persistent pneumothorax or pleural effusion, particularly malignant effusions...
- Talc and silver nitrate induce systemic inflammatory effects during the acute phase of experimental pleurodesis in rabbitsEvaldo Marchi
Pulmonary Division, Heart Institute (InCor, , , Brazil
Chest 125:2268-77. 2004STUDY OBJECTIVE:s: To determine whether talc (TL) and silver nitrate (SN), two effective pleurodesis agents, induce a systemic inflammatory response in the acute phase of experimental pleurodesis in rabbits...
- Safety of pleurodesis with talc poudrage in malignant pleural effusion: a prospective cohort studyJulius P Janssen
Canisius Wilhelmina Hospital, Nijmegen, Netherlands
Lancet 369:1535-9. 2007b>Talc is the most effective chemical pleurodesis agent for patients with malignant pleural effusion...
- Inhalational pulmonary talcosis: high-resolution CT findings in 3 patientsEdson Marchiori
Departmento de Radiologia, , RJ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
J Thorac Imaging 19:41-4. 2004We describe the high-resolution CT findings in 3 patients with pulmonary talcosis acquired by the inhalation of talc. The predominant abnormalities consisted of small centrilobular and subpleural nodules and conglomerated masses ..
- Pleurodesis induced by talc or silver nitrate: evaluation of collagen and elastic fibers in pleural remodelingLeila Antonangelo
Laboratory of Pleura-Pulmonary Division and Division of Applied Physiology, Heart Institute (InCor, , , Brazil
Lung 184:105-11. 2006This study evaluated the extracellular matrix (collagen and elastic fibers) in pleurodesis induced by intrapleural talc (TL) or silver nitrate (SN)...
- Mortality among workers at a talc mining and milling facilityYasushi Honda
Environmental Health Sciences Program, Institute of Health and Sport Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Japan
Ann Occup Hyg 46:575-85. 2002This study evaluated mortality among workers at a talc mining and milling facility.
- Long-term follow-up of video-assisted talc pleurodesis in malignant recurrent pleural effusionsG Cardillo
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Carlo Forlanini Hospital, Via Portuense 332, 00149, Rome, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 21:302-5; discussion 305-6. 2002..Recurrent pleural effusion is a common condition and often presents a challenge for treatment. The aim of this report is to evaluate the long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic management of malignant recurrent pleural effusions...
- Transforming growth factor-beta2 induces pleurodesis significantly faster than talcY C Gary Lee
Department of Pulmonary Medicine, St Thomas Hospital and Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37202
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:640-4. 2001..Conventional pleurodesing agents such as talc act by inducing pleural injury, which results in acute inflammation and fibrosis...
- Effective treatment of malignant pleural effusion by minimal invasive thoracic surgery: thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis and pleuroperitoneal shunts in 101 patientsM Schulze
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Christian Albrechts University Hospital, Kiel, Germany
Ann Thorac Surg 71:1809-12. 2001..For effective palliation of patients with malignant pleural effusion due to advanced neoplastic disease, any proposed treatment should have low procedure-related mortality and morbidity...
- Early and late mortality after pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusionAlain Bernard
Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopital Universitaire, Dijon, France
Ann Thorac Surg 74:213-7. 2002....
- Systemic distribution of talc after intrapleural administration in ratsE C Werebe
Department of Cardiology and Pulmonary Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Chest 115:190-3. 1999Many reports have shown the efficacy of talc to induce an effective pleurodesis. However, there is little information about the side effects related to this sclerosing agent...
- Use of small-bore vs large-bore chest tubes for treatment of malignant pleural effusionsW Parulekar
National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group, Queen s University, Kingston ON
Chest 120:19-25. 2001..To evaluate the efficacy of small-bore (12 French vanSonnenberg) catheters compared with standard large-bore chest tubes in the drainage and sclerotherapy of malignant pleural effusions...
- A cohort mortality and nested case-control study of French and Austrian talc workersP Wild
, , Vandoeuvre, France
Occup Environ Med 59:98-105. 2002..the mortality from non-malignant and malignant respiratory diseases of workers employed in French and Austrian talc mines and mills is related to their long term occupational exposure...
- Experimental pleurodesis in rabbits induced by silver nitrate or talc: 1-year follow-upF S Vargas
Laboratory of Pleura, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Heart Institute, InCor, , Brazil
Chest 119:1516-20. 2001STUDY OBJECTIVE: To compare the pleurodesis results from the intrapleural injection of silver nitrate and talc slurry over an observation period of 12 months in rabbits. DESIGN: Rabbits were randomized to receive 2 mL of 0...
- Serious complications with talc slurry pleurodesisA Brant
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Green Lane Hospital, Auckland, New Zealand
Respirology 6:181-5. 2001OBJECTIVE: Talc is a highly efficacious and commonly employed agent for chemical pleurodesis, which has generally been felt to be well tolerated...
- Influence of particle size on extrapleural talc dissemination after talc slurry pleurodesisJaume Ferrer
Servei de Pneumologia, Hospital General Vall d Hebron, Barcelona, Spain
Chest 122:1018-27. 2002Cases of acute respiratory failure reported after talc pleurodesis have raised concerns about its safety. It has been speculated that this pulmonary inflammatory syndrome is secondary to the extrapleural dissemination of the talc particles...
- An autopsy case of primary pericardial mesothelioma in arc cutter exposed to asbestos through talc pencilsHiroshi Fujiwara
Yodogawa Christian Hospital, 2-9-26, Awaji, Higashiyodogawa-ku, Osaka 533-0032, Japan
Ind Health 43:346-50. 2005..He had often had the chance to inhale dust generated by sharpening the slate pencils composed of talc. He was admitted for heart failure due to pericardial tumor, but later died...
- Prospective randomized trial of silver nitrate vs talc slurry in pleurodesis for symptomatic malignant pleural effusionsMarcello da Silveira Paschoalini
, , Brazil
Chest 128:684-9. 2005STUDY OBJECTIVES: To compare the efficacy and the safety of talc slurry and silver nitrate (SN) in the treatment of symptomatic malignant pleural effusions...
- Prospective study of talc use and ovarian cancerD M Gertig
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 92:249-52. 2000Perineal talc use has been associated with an increased risk of ovarian cancer in a number of case-control studies; however, this association remains controversial because of limited supporting biologic evidence and the potential for ..
- Randomized trials describing lung inflammation after pleurodesis with talc of varying particle sizeNick A Maskell
Oxford Pleural Disease Clinic, Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital, Oxford Radcliffe NHS Trust, Oxford OX3 7LJ, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:377-82. 2004We report two trials describing whether talc pleurodesis with a mean particle size of less than 15 microm ("mixed" talc) produces more lung and systemic inflammation than tetracycline or "graded" talc (most particles &..
- Talc retinopathySamantha Fraser-Bell
Department of Ophthalmology, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 30:432-3. 2002A 45 year old man presented with talc retinopathy that had been present for decades. The static nature of this condition indicates that, in the absence of ongoing intravenous drug use, ophthalmological follow up is not necessary
- An Audit of medical thoracoscopy and talc poudrage for pneumothorax prevention in advanced COPDPyng Lee
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Chest 125:1315-20. 2004To prospectively study all patients with COPD and spontaneous pneumothorax (SP) who underwent thoracoscopic talc poudrage (TP) under local anesthesia to determine its efficacy and safety in recurrence prevention.
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic management of recurrent primary spontaneous pneumothorax after prior talc pleurodesis: a feasible, safe and efficient treatment optionChristophe Doddoli
Departments of Thoracic Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Universite de la Mediterranee Aix Marseille II, Sainte Marguerite Hospital, Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Marseille, Marseille, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:889-92. 2004To assess the role of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) in the management of a recurrent primary spontaneous pneumothorax after a prior talc pleurodesis.
- Pleurodesis in patients with malignant pleural effusions: talc slurry or bleomycin? Results of a prospective randomized trialFábio José Haddad
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Hospital do Cancer A C Camargo, University of Sao Paulo, Rua Professor Antonio Prudente 211, LIM 62, 01509 900, UNIP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
World J Surg 28:749-53; discussion 753-4. 2004..study was to evaluate the efficacy, safety, and cost of bedside pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusions using talc slurry (TS) or bleomycin (BL) in a prospective randomized trial, and to determine prognosticators for procedure ..
- Re: Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for recurrent, symptomatic pleural effusion following cardiac operations. Surg Lap Endosc Percut TechJarosław Kuzdzał
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 14:102; author reply 102-3. 2004
- Minimally invasive thoracic surgery for diagnostic assessment and palliative treatment in recurrent neoplastic pleural effusionP P Brega-Massone
Oncologic Thoracic Surgery, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 52:191-5. 2004..We evaluated the effectiveness of VATS in the diagnosis and palliative treatment of recurrent neoplastic pleural effusions...
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery for pneumothorax in LAMJuan C Garzon
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Prince of Wales Hospital, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
Heart Lung Circ 16:300-2. 2007..Video-assisted thoracic surgery bullectomy and mechanical as well as talc pleurodesis was required to prevent further recurrences...
- Impact of pleural effusion pH on the efficacy of thoracoscopic mechanical pleurodesis in patients with breast carcinomaA Crnjac
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Teaching Hospital Maribor, Ljubljanska 5, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:432-6. 2004..in patients with breast carcinoma by thoracoscopic mechanical pleurodesis (TMP) as a new palliative treatment and talc pleurodesis (TP) at various pleural fluid pH levels and to determine whether at low pH values, when the success of ..
- Inflammatory parameters after pleurodesis in recurrent malignant pleural effusions and their predictive valueValiant Ukale
Department of Medicine, Thoracic Clinics, Karolinska sjukhuset, Stockholm S 171 76, Sweden
Respir Med 98:1166-72. 2004..Eighty-nine prospective patients with malignant pleural effusion who underwent pleurodesis with either talc (48 patients) or quinacrine (41 patients) were included in the study...
- Talc pleurodesis: comparison of talc slurry instillation with thoracoscopic talc insufflation for malignant pleural effusionsA Debeljak
University Clinic of Respiratory and Allergic Diseases Golnik, Golnik, Slovenia
J BUON 11:463-7. 2006Pleurodesis can relieve dyspnea in patients with malignant pleural effusions. We retrospectively compared the success rate of talc slurry instillation pleurodesis with thoracoscopic talc powder insufflation pleurodesis.
- [Bilateral Chylothorax after delivery: an infrequent case treated with videothoracoscopic talc pleurodesis]Antonio F Honguero Martínez
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica Consorcio Hospital General Universitario de Valencia Valencia España
Cir Esp 80:400-2. 2006..Initial conservative treatment failed twice and the chylothorax was successfully treated through sequential bilateral videothoracoscopy with an interval of 6 days between the two interventions and pleurodesis with spray talc.
- [Thoracoscopic pleurodesis in malignant pleural effusions]C Mitrofan
Clinica de Chirurgie Toracic, Facultatea de Medicin, Universitatea de MedicinÄƒ si Farmacie Gr. T. Popa,
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 109:799-803. 2005..In our study, the talc powder (5g) was successfully as sclerosing agent...
- Efficacy of short-term versus long-term chest tube drainage following talc slurry pleurodesis in patients with malignant pleural effusions: a randomised trialAnna Goodman
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN, United Kingdom
Lung Cancer 54:51-5. 2006b>Talc pleurodesis is commonly used in the palliative treatment of malignant pleural effusions but the shortest and most effective regime has not been determined...
- The treatment by V.A.T.S. and M.A.C. of secondary neoplastic pleural effusion in the old patient (> 70 years)S Griffo
Chair of Thoracic Surgery, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
Acta Biomed 76:72-5. 2005..Numerous methods and substances have been proposed in the time for the treatment of the N.P.E. The talc pleurodesis executed in the old patients (> 70 years) by means of the V.A.T.S...
- Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for the treatment of spontaneous pneumothoraxP Pletinckx
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, AZ Maria Middelares, Sint Jozef, Gent, Belgium
Acta Chir Belg 105:504-7. 2005..Doubts raised about the safety of talc in performing pleurodesis because of reported complications...
- Predictors of acute lung injury and severe hypoxemia in patients undergoing operative talc pleurodesisTomasz J Kuzniar
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 82:1976-81. 2006Acute lung injury (ALI) is a life-threatening complication of talc pleurodesis...
- Video-thoracoscopic surgical pleurodesis in the management of malignant pleural effusion: the importance of an early interventionAntonio Marrazzo
Department of Experimental Oncology and Clinical Application, University of Palermo, Italy
J Pain Symptom Manage 30:75-9. 2005..The mean Karnofsky performance status was about 50. Pleurodesis with talc poudrage was completely successful in all patients, with a morbidity rate of 2.6%...
- Management of recurrent malignant pleural effusion with chemical pleurodesisDalokay Kilic
Department of Thoracic Surgery, , , Sokak No: 6, 01250 Yuregir Adana, Turkey
Surg Today 35:634-8. 2005..b>Talc was used in 68 (63%) patients, tetracycline in 26 (24%), and bleomycin in 14 (13%)...
- Alternative widely available, inexpensive agents for pleurodesisOner Dikensoy
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, School of Medicine, Gaziantep University, Turkey
Curr Opin Pulm Med 11:340-4. 2005..Although talc, parenteral tetracycline derivatives, and bleomycin are the most commonly used agents for pleurodesis, parenteral ..
- A spray catheter technique for pleural anesthesia: a novel method for pain control before talc poudragePyng Lee
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Anesth Analg 104:198-200. 2007Chemical pleurodesis causes severe pain, prompting physicians to perform thoracoscopic talc poudrage under general or neuroleptanalgesia...
- Thoracoscopic palliative treatment of malignant pleural effusions: results in 273 patientsK Arapis
Thoracic Department, Institut Mutualiste Montsouris, 42 Bd Jourdan, F-75014, Paris, France
Surg Endosc 20:919-23. 2006..7%). Pleurodesis was produced by instillation of 5g of sterile asbestos-free talc; the chest tube was left in place a minimum of 3 days. It was removed when fluid drainage was less than 200 ml/24 h...
- Long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for primary spontaneous pneumothoraxS Györik
Dept of Pulmonary Medicine, University Hospital Basel, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031, Basel, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 29:757-60. 2007..present study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of patients with primary spontaneous pneumothorax treated with talc pleurodesis...
- Pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusions: current controversies and variations in practicesSophie D West
Oxford Pleural Diseases Unit, Oxford Centre for Respiratory Medicine, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Curr Opin Pulm Med 10:305-10. 2004..RECENT FINDINGS: The selection of pleurodesing agents remains controversial. Talc is more effective, but is associated with more adverse effects...
- Progelatinase B/matrix metalloproteinase-9 proenzyme as a marker of pleural inflammationJaromir Kotyza
Institute of Biochemistry, Medical Faculty in Pilsen, Charles University, The Czech Republic
Exp Lung Res 30:297-309. 2004..a local inflammatory reaction, the authors estimated proMMP-9 in pleural fluids of patients undergoing therapeutic talc pleurodesis (n = 20) and explorative thoracoscopy (n = 4), before, and at different time intervals after the ..
- Primary treatment of malignant pleural effusions: video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery poudrage versus tube thoracostomyKurt V Erickson
Department of Surgery, School of Medicine, University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29203, USA
Am Surg 68:955-9; discussion 959-60. 2002..pleural effusions secondary to ovarian carcinoma with video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)-assisted talc poudrage (VATS-ATP) results in shorter hospital stays and reduced time with a chest tube than primary treatment ..
- [Thoracentesis and pleurodesis in the treatment of pleural effusion. Personal experience]F Pisello
Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Sezione di Chirurgia Generale ad Indirizzo Toracico, Italy
G Chir 29:299-304. 2008..The pleural effusion is a sign of pulmonary, pleural or extrapulmonary, benign or malignant pathology. Our aim is to bring our experience on the treatment of the malignant pleural effusion through thoracentesis and successive pleurodesis...
- Prospective evaluation of flex-rigid pleuroscopy for indeterminate pleural effusion: accuracy, safety and outcomePyng Lee
Department of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Singapore General Hospital, Singapore
Respirology 12:881-6. 2007..This study aimed to assess prospectively the accuracy, safety and outcome of flex-rigid pleuroscopy in the diagnosis of patients with indeterminate pleural effusions...
- Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for recurrent, symptomatic pleural effusion following cardiac operationsDouglas E Paull
Departments of Cardioghoracic Surgery, Wilkes Barres General Hospital, Wilke Barre, PA, USA
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 13:339-44. 2003..developed a recurrent, symptomatic pleural effusion ultimately requiring video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) and talc pleurodesis. These patients represented 0...
- Thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for malignant pleural effusionDavid Love
Division of Surgery, St John of God Hospital, Ryrie Street, Geelong, Victoria 3220, Australia
ANZ J Surg 73:19-22. 2003..Management based on thoracoscopy and talc insufflation produces satisfactory results with an acceptable morbidity and no early mortality...
- [Strategy for preventing recurrence after video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for spontaneous pneumothorax; efficacy of talc pleurodesis and absorbable mesh covering]Y Sugamura
Department of Surgery, Sasebo Chuo Hospital, Nagasaki, Japan
Kyobu Geka 55:785-8. 2002..90% of the recurrence occurred in the patients with type III small diffuse bullae. Introduction of the regional talc pleurodesis and covering stapled line with absorbable mesh were extremely useful to lower the recurrence rate after ..
- Distribution of talc suspension during treatment of malignant pleural effusion with talc pleurodesisHans-Jurgen Mager
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Heart Lung Center Utrecht, Sint Antonius Ziekenhuis, PO Box 2500, NL-3430 EM Nieuwegein, The Netherlands
Lung Cancer 36:77-81. 2002b>Talc pleurodesis is an effective technique for the management of symptomatic malignant pleural effusions. It is assumed that a good dispersion of talc suspension contributes to the final success of this treatment...
- Long-term follow-up of thoracoscopic talc pleurodesis for primary spontaneous pneumothoraxI Oransky
Eur Respir J 30:598; author reply 598. 2007
- [Thoracoscopic video-assisted talcum pleurodesis (TTP)--effective treatment of malignant pleural effusion]G Brunagel
Klinik und Poliklinik für Allgemein, Viszeral, Thorax und Gefässchirurgie der Rheinischen Friedrich Wilhelms Universität Bonn, Germany
Zentralbl Chir 127:453-5. 2002..Aim of the palliative therapeutic procedure should be a fast, efficient and pain free treatment of the malignant pleural effusions...
- Video-assisted management of malignant pleural effusion in breast carcinomaRoberto Gasparri
Division of Thoracic Surgery, European Institute of Oncology, Milan, Italy
Cancer 106:271-6. 2006..were treated by the same thoracic-surgeon team with intracavitary nebulization of 8 g of asbestos-free sterilized talc via VATS. Multiple pleural biopsies were performed to determine biologic characteristics of recurrent disease...
- [Thoracocentesis for the assessment of lung cancer with pleural effusion]E Martín Díaz
Servicio de Cirugía Torácica Hospital General Universitario de Valencia Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 38:479-84. 2002..To analyze the pleural and mediastinal effect of thoracentesis tumor-positive cytology in pleural effusions (PE) detected by chest X ray of lung cancer patients...
- Effects of additional pleurodesis with dextrose and talc-dextrose solution after video assisted thoracoscopic procedures for primary spontaneous pneumothoraxWon Jae Chung
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Ansan Hospital, Korea University, 516 Gojan 1 dong, Ansan, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 23:284-7. 2008..procedure and pleurodesis with dextrose solution (group B, n=49), and thoracoscopic procedure and pleurodesis with talc-dextrose mixed solution (group C, n=42)...
- Management of malignant pleural effusionsY C Gary Lee
The Centre for Respiratory Research, University College London, London, UK
Respirology 9:148-56. 2004..b>Talc remains the most commonly used pleurodesing compound in most countries...
- Pleurodesis in recurrent pleural effusions: a randomized comparison of a classical and a currently popular drugValiant Ukale
Department of Medicine, Division of Respiratory Medicine, Thoracic Clinics, Karolinska sjukhuset, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
Lung Cancer 43:323-8. 2004Pleurodesis is generally regarded to give the best palliation in recurrent pleural effusion. Talc is now increasingly recommended but in our department quinacrine has been used successfully for many decades with good results and only ..
- [Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery in diagnosis and treatment of pleuritis]Dainius Amerigas Piscikas
Institute of Oncology, Vilnius University, Santariskiu 1, 2021 Vilnius, Lithuania
Medicina (Kaunas) 40:145-8. 2004..One hundred three women (71%) and 43 men (29%) were operated. Seventy four (51%) chemopleurodesis was performed with pleural biopsies: for 2 patients (1.36%) bleocine was used, and for 74 patients (50.6%) sterile talk...
- [Treatment of pneumothorax]M Klopp
Chirurgische Abteilung, Thoraxklinik am Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg, Amalienstrasse 5, 69126, Heidelberg, Deutschland
Chirurg 78:655-68. 2007..For the latter, open thoracotomy and repair is still the recommended approach...
- Propantheline bromide in the management of hyperhidrosis associated with spinal cord injuryB R Canaday
Department of Pharmacy and Medicine, University of North Carolina AHEC Program, Wilmington 28402, USA
Ann Pharmacother 29:489-92. 1995..To report 2 cases in which oral propantheline reduced the discomfort associated with sweating related to spinal cord injury (SCI), and to review the literature on the management of SCI-related sweating...
- GRIEF INTERVENTIONS FOR PLAS, ADOLESCENTS AND GUARDIANSMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 1999..are provided; or 2) an enhanced care condition that provides three modules of coping skills intervention (Project TALC: Teens and Adults learning to Communicate) plus social services...
- TGF-BETA FOR PLEURODESISKirk Lane; Fiscal Year: 2005..Abrasion requires hospitalization and general anesthesia, the most common irritant used is talc, which has occasional fatal side effects, and the induction of a pleural burn can be extremely painful...
- Psychosocial Support to HIV/AIDS Affected Children in ZimbabweDanuta Kasprzyk; Fiscal Year: 2009..data from current research, to adapt and implement a psychosocial support and coping skills intervention (Project TALC/TLC/CLEAR) with adolescent children (12-18) living with an HIV-positive parent; 2) to pilot test the intervention ..
- Identifying Ovarian Cancer Susceptibility Alleles using Genome-Wide Scan DataCELESTE LEIGH contact PEARCE; Fiscal Year: 2010..factors associated with ovarian cancer have been identified, including menopausal hormone therapy use, perineal talc use, obesity, infertility, parity, breast-feeding, oral contraceptive use, and tubal ligation, In this proposal we ..
- Inflammation and Ovarian CancerRoberta Ness; Fiscal Year: 2007..We have suggested that inflammation may be involved. Ovulation, endometriosis, and talc use all promote inflammation, and all increase the risk of ovarian cancer; tubal ligation and hysterectomy prevent ..
- IMPACT OF AIDS ON ADOLESCENTS TRANSITION TO ADULTHOODMARY ROTHERAM BORUS; Fiscal Year: 2002..we have successfully designed, implemented, and assessed the impact of an enhanced intervention program (Project TALC) with Parents with AIDS (PWA), their adolescent children (Youth of PWA), and the new Caregivers in a randomized ..
- Enzymatic Pleurodesis for Malignant Pleural EffusionsLarry Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2005..formulation to maximize safety and effectiveness in vivo, and 2) comparing responses following enzymatic treatment to those following talc slurry, the current standard non-surgical treatment for malignant effusions in clinical practice.
- Genes, Hormones & Environment in an Ovarian Cancer ModelDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..ovarian cancer risk, including Ahr, CYP1A1, COMT, MnSOD, GST, and NAT and may interact with exposures like genital talc. Protection from ovarian cancer is associated with a variety of antioxidants including lycopene, carotene, ginkgo, ..
- MUC-1 related cancer immunity: determinants and predictive significanceDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007..The findings of our study could provide the basis for developing a safe cancer- preventing vaccine for ovarian cancer and perhaps other MUC1-expressing tumors. ..
- MUC-1 related cancer immunity: determinants and predictive significanceDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..The findings of our study could provide the basis for developing a safe cancer- preventing vaccine for ovarian cancer and perhaps other MUC1-expressing tumors. ..
- Risk for New onset of Depression in Perimenopausal WomenDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- OVARIAN CANCER RISK AND HYPERGONADOTROPIC HYPOGONADISMDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 1993..Reproductive variables, oral contraceptive (OC) use, and talc exposure will also be assessed to determine their interrelationship with the environmental and biochemical risk ..
- OVARIAN CANCER RISK AND HYPERGONADOTROPIC HYPOGONADISMDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Talc in genital hygiene increased risk predominantly for serous and undifferentiated ovarian cancers and among those who ..
- EPIDEMIOLOGIC AND BIOLOGIC PREDICTORS OF IVF SUCCESSDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Epidemiology of protein glutathiolationJoshua Muscat; Fiscal Year: 2007..Determine the effects of MAC supplementation after adjustment for age, genetic polymorphisms and other factors. ..
- Mammographic Densities: In the Pathway to Breast Cancer?KARIN ROSENBLATT; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Polybrominated Biphenyls and Cancer RiskKARIN ROSENBLATT; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Partners Southwestern Clinical Epidemiology/ValidationDaniel Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2007....