Genomes and Genes
Summary: Iron or iron compounds used in foods or as food. Dietary iron is important in oxygen transport and the synthesis of the iron-porphyrin proteins hemoglobin, myoglobin, cytochromes, and cytochrome oxidase. Insufficient amounts of dietary iron can lead to iron-deficiency anemia.
Publications220 found, 100 shown here
- Dietary iron intakes and elevated iron stores in the elderly: is it time to abandon the set-point hypothesis of regulation of iron absorption?John Beard
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1189-90. 2002
- An iron-regulated ferric reductase associated with the absorption of dietary ironA T McKie
Department of Molecular Medicine, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, King s College London, Rayne Institute, Denmark Hill Campus, 123 Coldharbour Lane, London SE5 9NU, UK
Science 291:1755-9. 2001..Duodenal expression levels of Dcytb messenger RNA and protein were regulated by changes in physiological modulators of iron absorption. Thus, Dcytb provides an important element in the iron absorption pathway...
- Serum iron curves can be used to estimate dietary iron bioavailability in humansRana E Conway
MRC Human Nutrition Research, Cambridge, UK
J Nutr 136:1910-4. 2006..The main objective of this study was to validate serum Fe curves as measures of dietary iron absorption because previous work demonstrated that serum iron curves can be generated with iron doses as low as ..
- Dietary iron supplementation enhances DSS-induced colitis and associated colorectal carcinoma development in miceDarren N Seril
Department of Chemical Biology, College of Pharmacy, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway 08854 8020, USA
Dig Dis Sci 47:1266-78. 2002..001). The present findings have implications for the management of human UC and suggest that dietary iron can enhance UC and its associated carcinogenesis by augmenting oxidative and nitrosative stress.
- Dietary iron intake and Type 2 diabetes incidence in postmenopausal women: the Iowa Women's Health StudyD H Lee
Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 55454, USA
Diabetologia 47:185-94. 2004Recently, a clear biological link between iron metabolism and diabetes has emerged from epidemiological and experimental studies. We carried out a prospective study of dietary iron intake and incidence of Type 2 diabetes.
- Relation of iron and red meat intake to blood pressure: cross sectional epidemiological studyIoanna Tzoulaki
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, London W2 1PG
BMJ 337:a258. 2008To investigate associations of dietary iron (total, haem, and non-haem), supplemental iron, and red meat with blood pressure.
- The mortality risk of elevated serum transferrin saturation and consumption of dietary ironArch G Mainous
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Ann Fam Med 2:139-44. 2004..Because ingestion of dietary iron may contribute to iron overload in persons with elevated transferrin saturation, we investigated the ..
- Identification of differentially expressed genes in response to dietary iron deprivation in rat duodenumJames F Collins
Department of Pediatrics, Steele Memorial Children s Research Center, University of Arizona, 1501 N Campbell Ave, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 288:G964-71. 2005..We speculate that dietary iron deprivation leads to increased intestinal copper absorption via DMT1 on the brush-border membrane and the ..
- Cybrd1 (duodenal cytochrome b) is not necessary for dietary iron absorption in miceHiromi Gunshin
Children s Hospital, Karp Family Research Laboratories RM 8 125, Boston, MA 02115 5737, USA
Blood 106:2879-83. 2005Mammalian nonheme iron absorption requires reduction of dietary iron for uptake by the divalent metal ion transport system in the intestine...
- Long-term programming of blood pressure by maternal dietary iron restriction in the ratRohan M Lewis
Department of Clinical Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Addenbrooke s Hospital, CB2 2QR, UK
Br J Nutr 88:283-90. 2002..Both cardiac hypertrophy and decreased serum triacylglycerol have also been observed in Fe-restricted fetuses, suggesting that these changes may be initiated in utero...
- Body iron stores and dietary iron intake in relation to diabetes in adults in North ChinaDe Chun Luan
Institute for Nutrition and Food Safety, Liaoning Provincial Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 42 1 Ji Xian St, Shenyang 110005, China
Diabetes Care 31:285-6. 2008To evaluate the association between body iron stores, dietary iron intake, and risk of diabetes in northern China.
- Dietary iron intake and blood donations in relation to risk of type 2 diabetes in men: a prospective cohort studyRui Jiang
Departments of Nutrition and Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 79:70-5. 2004..Excessive iron stores may promote insulin resistance and lead to the development of type 2 diabetes. However, prospective data relating iron intake and blood donations (determinants of body iron stores) to diabetes incidence are limited...
- Physiology and molecular biology of dietary iron absorptionSilvia Miret
Department of Life Sciences, King s College London, The Franklin Wilkins Building, London
Annu Rev Nutr 23:283-301. 2003
- Effects of breed (Angus vs Simmental) and copper and zinc source on mineral status of steers fed high dietary ironL A Mullis
Department of Animal Science and Interdepartmental Nutrition Program, North Carolina State University, Raleigh 27695 7621, USA
J Anim Sci 81:318-22. 2003..effects of breed and Cu and Zn source (SO4 or proteinate (Prot) form) on Cu and Zn status of steers fed high dietary iron (Fe). Steers were stratified by weight within breed and randomly assigned to treatments...
- Parkinson's disease risks associated with dietary iron, manganese, and other nutrient intakesK M Powers
Departments of Environmental Health, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle 98195 7234, USA
Neurology 60:1761-6. 2003..Dietary influences on oxidative stress have been thought to play important role in the etiology of PD...
- Diet and genetic factors associated with iron status in middle-aged womenJanet E Cade
Nutritional Epidemiology Group and the Biostatistics Group, Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Leeds, Leeds, United Kingdom
Am J Clin Nutr 82:813-20. 2005..Gene mutations associated with iron overload have been identified. How food and nutrient intakes affect iron status in persons who may be at risk of iron overload because their genetic status is unknown...
- Intake of dietary iron is low in patients with Crohn's disease: a case-control studyMiranda C E Lomer
Gastrointestinal Laboratory, The Rayne Institute, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Br J Nutr 91:141-8. 2004..Changing dietary advice may compromise perceived symptoms of the disease so the need for Fe supplementation should be carefully considered...
- Dietary iron restriction or iron chelation protects from diabetes and loss of beta-cell function in the obese (ob/ob lep-/-) mouseRobert C Cooksey
Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 298:E1236-43. 2010..5 wk despite no effect on weight. Although dietary iron restriction preserved beta-cell function in ob/ob mice fed a high-fat diet, the effects on overall glucose ..
- Role of dietary iron restriction in a mouse model of Parkinson's diseaseCathy W Levenson
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Intramural Research Program, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Exp Neurol 190:506-14. 2004..Experiments were designed to test the impact of dietary iron availability on the pathogenic process and functional outcome in a mouse model of PD...
- Iron intake does not significantly correlate with iron deficiency among young Japanese women: a cross-sectional studyKeiko Asakura
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Public Health Nutr 12:1373-83. 2009..Uniquely among developed countries, dietary habits render Japanese populations vulnerable to Fe deficiency, owing to their relatively low intake of Fe and high intake of Fe absorption inhibitors, such as green tea and soyabeans...
- Association of pulmonary tuberculosis with increased dietary ironI T Gangaidzo
Department of Medicine, University of Zimbabwe School of Medicine, Avondale, Harare, Zimbabwe
J Infect Dis 184:936-9. 2001To determine whether increased dietary iron could be a risk factor for active tuberculosis, dietary iron history and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) status were studied in 98 patients with pulmonary tuberculosis and in 98 control ..
- Efficacy and trial effectiveness of weekly and daily iron supplementation among pregnant women in rural Bangladesh: disentangling the issuesEva Charlotte Ekström
Epidemiology Division, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Am J Clin Nutr 76:1392-400. 2002..The possibility of differential compliance between the regimens needs to be evaluated to explain these findings...
- Iron status of the free-living, elderly Framingham Heart Study cohort: an iron-replete population with a high prevalence of elevated iron storesD J Fleming
Mineral Bioavailability Laboratory and the Epidemiology Program, Jean Mayer-US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 73:638-46. 2001..The likely liability in iron nutriture in free-living, elderly white Americans eating a Western diet is high iron stores, not iron deficiency...
- Iron status and dietary iron intake of adolescents from a rural community in Sabah, MalaysiaLeng Huat Foo
Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 13:48-55. 2004..26.4%, respectively. Iron deficiency anaemia (85.0%) contributed largely to the prevalence of anaemia. The dietary iron intake of the adolescents was unsatisfactory, with approximately 98% of subjects failing to meet the Malaysian ..
- Regulation of metal transporters by dietary iron, and the relationship between body iron levels and cadmium uptakeDong Won Kim
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Chung Ang University, 221 Huksukdong, Dongjakgu, Seoul, South Korea
Arch Toxicol 81:327-34. 2007..Thus, DMT1 and MTP1 may play an important role in not only maintaining Fe levels but also facilitating the accumulation of Cd in the body of mammals...
- Variations in dietary iron alter behavior in developing ratsD Pinero
Department of Neuroscience and Anatomy, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Nutr 131:311-8. 2001..This study evaluated the effects of dietary iron deficiency and excess iron on physical activity in rats...
- The effect of dietary iron deficiency on the fatty acid composition of plasma and erythrocyte membrane phospholipids in the ratH Y Tichelaar
National Research Programme for Nutritional Intervention of the Medical Research Council, Tygerberg, South Africa
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 56:229-33. 1997..Comparisons between dietary iron adequate (control) and dietary iron deficient (experimental) rats showed that the experimental rats had lower ..
- Serum ferritin concentrations in Africans with low dietary ironVictor M Moyo
Clinical Affairs, Oncology Hematology, Ortho Biotech LLC, Bridgewater, NJ, USA
Ann Hematol 88:1131-6. 2009In the setting of high dietary, several studies have provided evidence for a strong effect of both high dietary iron and an unidentified genetic locus on iron stores in Africans...
- Dietary iron restriction improves aminotransferase levels in chronic hepatitis C patientsMotoh Iwasa
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Mie University School of Medicine, Edobashi 2 174, Tsu City, Mie 514 8507, Japan
Hepatogastroenterology 49:529-31. 2002..The present study was undertaken to evaluate whether low-iron diet improves liver function tests in patients with chronic hepatitis C...
- The potentiating and protective effects of ascorbate on oxidative stress depend upon the concentration of dietary iron fed C3H miceKumpati Premkumar
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of California Davis, Sacramento, CA 95817, USA
J Nutr Biochem 18:272-8. 2007..In conclusion, dietary AA appears to have mild pro-oxidant properties at low-iron concentrations but has a strong antioxidant effect against oxidative stress and DNA damage induced by dietary iron in mouse liver.
- Dietary iron intake and risk of endometrial cancer: a population-based case-control study in Shanghai, ChinaAsha R Kallianpur
Institute for Medicine and Public Health, Vanderbilt Epidemiology Center and Vanderbilt Ingram Cancer Center, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee 37203 1738, USA
Nutr Cancer 62:40-50. 2010..Animal-derived iron intake is associated with increased risk of EC after menopause and among obese women. Avoidance of animal-derived (heme) iron may reduce the risk of EC in these women...
- Dietary iron intake and risk of Parkinson's diseaseGiancarlo Logroscino
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Am J Epidemiol 168:1381-8. 2008b>Dietary iron is the most important source of iron stores. Several case-control studies have described the association of high dietary iron and Parkinson's disease, but prospective data are lacking...
- Dietary iron deficiency decreases serum osteocalcin concentration and bone mineral density in ratsShin Ichi Katsumata
Department of Nutritional Science, Faculty of Applied Bioscience, Tokyo University of Agriculture, Japan
Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 70:2547-50. 2006We investigated the effects of dietary iron deficiency on bone metabolism by measuring markers of bone turnover in rats. Twelve 3-week-old male Wistar-strain rats were fed a control diet or an iron-deficient diet for 4 weeks...
- Dietary iron and haem iron intake and risk of endometrial cancer: a prospective cohort studyG C Kabat
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Room 1301, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Br J Cancer 98:194-8. 2008..frequency questionnaire administered at baseline were used to calculate intake of all meats, red meat, total dietary iron, iron from meat, haem iron, and non-haem iron...
- Spinal cord dopamine receptor expression and function in mice with 6-OHDA lesion of the A11 nucleus and dietary iron deprivationHongru Zhao
Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Neurosci Res 85:1065-76. 2007....
- The influence of deferiprone (L1) and deferoxamine on iron and essential element tissue level and parameters of oxidative status in dietary iron-loaded miceVladislav Eybl
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Charles University Faculty of Medicine in Pilsen, Karlovarska 48, 301 66 Pilsen, Czech Republic
Toxicol Lett 128:169-75. 2002..The glutathione peroxidase (GSH-Px) activity and catalase activity were not affected by iron loading, however, both DFO and L1 caused a decrease of GSH-Px activity...
- An ecological study of cancer mortality rates including indices for dietary iron and zincWilliam B Grant
Sunlight, Nutrition and Health Research Center, San Francisco, CA 94109 1603, USA
Anticancer Res 28:1955-63. 2008b>Dietary iron and zinc affect the risk of cancer, with dietary iron generally correlated with increased risk and dietary zinc with reduced risk. However, zinc supplements have been found correlated with increased risk of cancer.
- Transferrin saturation, dietary iron intake, and risk of cancerArch G Mainous
Department of Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Ann Fam Med 3:131-7. 2005Transferrin saturation of more than 60% has been identified as a cancer risk factor. It is unclear whether dietary iron intake increases the risk of cancer among individuals with transferrin saturation of less than 60%...
- Long-lasting cognitive, physiological and hematological effects in rehabilitated, early dietary iron-deficiency adult rats, and improvement by treatment with a mixture of essential fatty acidsShlomo Yehuda
Psychopharmacology Laboratory, Department of Psychology, Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel
Nutr Neurosci 11:167-71. 2008..Treatment with a mixture of essential fatty acids improved their learning capacity...
- Does dietary iron intake influence the iron status in hospitalised elderly patients?E Joosten
Department of Physiopathology, University Hospitals K U Leuven, Belgium
J Nutr Health Aging 3:8-10. 1999To investigate whether there is a relationship between dietary iron intake and body iron store in hospitalised elderly.
- Effect of dietary iron overload in rat brain: oxidative stress, neurotransmitter level and serum metal ion in relation to neurodegenerative disordersMohamed M Elseweidy
Biochemistry Department, College of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Egypt
Indian J Exp Biol 46:855-8. 2008..Increasing iron level might be responsible for accelerated dopamine oxidation with subsequent quinone formation...
- The beneficial effect of Mediterranean dietary patterns on dietary iron utilization in male adolescents aged 11-14 yearsMarta Mesias
Department of Nutrition and Bromatology, School of Pharmacy, University of Granada, Granada, Spain
Int J Food Sci Nutr 60:355-68. 2009..b>Dietary iron utilization was studied by means of iron intake and iron output in faeces and urine, and iron status was ..
- Genome-linked toxic responses to dietary iron overloadP Whittaker
Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, Food and Drug Administration, Washington, D C 20204
Toxicol Pathol 25:556-64. 1997..The rats also showed degeneration of the germinal epithelium of the testis, formation of multinucleated giant cells, and lack of mature sperm...
- Dietary iron alters waterborne copper-induced gene expression in soft water acclimated zebrafish (Danio rerio)Paul M Craig
Department of Biology, McMaster University, 1280 Main St West, Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1 Canada
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R362-73. 2009..This study shows that high dietary Fe can significantly alter the genetic expression pattern of Cu transporters at the level of the gill, liver, and gastrointestinal tract...
- Dietary iron deficiency results in cardiac eccentric hypertrophy in ratsD M Medeiros
Department of Human Nutrition and Food Management, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1295, USA
Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 218:370-5. 1998..The hypertrophy pattern present in iron-deficiency anemia is in contrast to other nutritional models of hypertrophy, such as copper-deficiency, where a concentric hypertrophy occurs both in the presence and absence of anemia...
- Ferritin as a reporter gene for MRI: chronic liver over expression of H-ferritin during dietary iron supplementation and agingKeren Ziv
Department of Biological Regulation Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
NMR Biomed 23:523-31. 2010..Furthermore, dietary iron supplementation significantly affected MRI contrast, without affecting animal wellbeing, for both wildtype and ..
- Excess dietary iron is the root cause for increase in childhood autism and allergiesUmesh Padhye
2990 River Meadows, Canton, Michigan 48188, USA
Med Hypotheses 61:220-2. 2003..I propose a hypothesis that the excessive dietary iron consumed by today's infants is the root cause of increased cases of Autism, allergies and other childhood ..
- High dietary iron reduces transporters involved in iron and manganese metabolism and increases intestinal permeability in calvesS L Hansen
Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC 27695 7621, USA
J Dairy Sci 93:656-65. 2010..Additionally, reduced levels of DMT1 protein appeared to decrease duodenal Mn, suggesting that Mn may also be a substrate for DMT1 in cattle...
- Re: Heme iron, zinc, alcohol consumption, and risk of colon cancerSusanna C Larsson
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:232-3; author reply 233-4. 2005
- Dietary iron status has little effect on expression of ceruloplasmin but alters that of ferritin in ratsTanya Tran
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Institute for Molecular Biology and Nutrition, California State University, Fullerton, CA 92834 6866
J Nutr 132:351-6. 2002..We conclude that iron status is not an important factor in the expression of plasma ceruloplasmin made by the liver. However, it does have modest effects on steady-state levels of liver ferritin mRNA...
- Iron deficiency anemia (IDA) perceptions and dietary iron intake among young women and pregnant women in JordanSamiha S Jarrah
University of Jordan, Jordan
J Transcult Nurs 18:19-27. 2007..Culturally sensitive intervention research, which addresses application of IDA education principles, temporary supplementation, and adequate income for dietary modification and long-term iron supplementation to prevent IDA is warranted...
- Dietary iron regulates hepatic hepcidin 1 and 2 mRNAs in miceAndrzej Mazur
Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine d Auvergne, Unité Maladies Métavoliques et Micronutriments, INRA, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Metabolism 52:1229-31. 2003..The aim of this study was to determine the effects of the level of dietary iron on Hepc gene expression in the liver...
- Effects of dietary iron supplementation on growth performance, hematological status, and whole-body mineral concentrations of nursery pigsM J Rincker
Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University, East Lansing 48824, USA
J Anim Sci 82:3189-97. 2004..Even so, the lessening of a pig's Fe stores during this rapid growth period may result in the occurrence of anemia during the subsequent grower and finisher periods...
- Dietary iron regulates intestinal cadmium absorption through iron transporters in ratsDoug Young Ryu
College of Veterinary Medicine, Seoul National University, Seoul 151 742, Korea
Toxicol Lett 152:19-25. 2004..The correlation between duodenal DMT1 and MTP1 expression and Cd body burden in rats suggests an important role of DMT1 and MTP1 in Cd absorption...
- Hemojuvelin is essential for dietary iron sensing, and its mutation leads to severe iron overloadVera Niederkofler
Biozentrum, Department of Cell Biology, University of Basel, and Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
J Clin Invest 115:2180-6. 2005Iron homeostasis plays a critical role in many physiological processes, notably synthesis of heme proteins. Dietary iron sensing and inflammation converge in the control of iron absorption and retention by regulating the expression of ..
- Hemochromatosis gene mutations, body iron stores, dietary iron, and risk of colorectal adenoma in womenAndrew T Chan
Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 97:917-26. 2005..We assessed dietary iron intake and genetic and biochemical markers of iron status in a prospective, nested case-control study of women ..
- A cohort study of dietary iron and heme iron intake and risk of colorectal cancer in womenG C Kabat
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Room 1301, NY 10461, USA
Br J Cancer 97:118-22. 2007..frequency questionnaire administered at baseline were used to calculate red meat intake and intake of total dietary iron, iron from meat, and heme iron...
- Circulating cytokines in pulmonary tuberculosis according to HIV status and dietary iron contentV R Gordeuk
Center for Sickle Cell Disease and Department of Medicine, Howard University, Washington, DC 20060, USA
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 13:1267-73. 2009To evaluate human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) serology, dietary iron and serum concentrations of markers of T-helper type (Th) 1 and Th-2 immune pathways in the setting of tuberculosis (TB).
- Heme iron, zinc, alcohol consumption, and colon cancer: Iowa Women's Health StudyDuk Hee Lee
Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Kyungpook National University, Daegu, Korea
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:403-7. 2004....
- In-home prenatal nutrition intervention increased dietary iron intakes and reduced low birthweight in low-income African-American womenChiquita Briley
Families First Nutrition Education Wellness System, Southern University Cooperative Extension Program, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 102:984-7. 2002
- Duodenal HFE expression and hepcidin levels determine body iron homeostasis: modulation by genetic diversity and dietary iron availabilitySusanne Ludwiczek
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Mol Med (Berl) 82:373-82. 2004..Duodenal HFE expression was positively associated with serum iron and liver HFE levels. Dietary iron supplementation decreased HFE in the duodenum but not in the liver...
- Dietary iron intake and iron status of German female vegans: results of the German vegan studyAnnika Waldmann
Institute of Food Science, University of Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Ann Nutr Metab 48:103-8. 2004..As shown in previous studies vegetarians and especially vegans are at risk for iron deficiency. Our study evaluated the iron status of German female vegans...
- Dietary animal-derived iron and fat intake and breast cancer risk in the Shanghai Breast Cancer StudyAsha R Kallianpur
Division of General Internal Medicine and Public Health, Center for Health Services Research, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37212, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 107:123-32. 2008..Iron, an essential micronutrient with pro-oxidant properties, has received little attention, and specific fats may augment its toxicity. We investigated the effects of iron and fats from various food sources on the risk of breast cancer...
- Evaluation of an iron specific checklist for the assessment of dietary iron intake in pregnant and postpartum womenShao J Zhou
Child Nutrition Research Centre, Child Health Research Institute and Department of Paediatrics, University of Adelaide, Women s and Children s Hospital, North Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Nutrition 21:908-13. 2005This study developed and validated an iron checklist for assessing dietary iron intake of pregnant and postpartum women.
- Overweight children have higher circulating hepcidin concentrations and lower iron status but have dietary iron intakes and bioavailability comparable with normal weight childrenI Aeberli
Human Nutrition Laboratory, Institute of Food Science and Nutrition, ETH Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Int J Obes (Lond) 33:1111-7. 2009..It is possible that overweight individuals may have lower dietary iron intake and/or bioavailability...
- Ascorbic acid does not increase the oxidative stress induced by dietary iron in C3H miceKumpati Premkumar
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA, USA
J Nutr 134:435-8. 2004..High dietary iron increased liver iron concentrations slightly (P < 0...
- Dietary iron intake is positively associated with hemoglobin concentration during infancy but not during the second year of lifeTorbjörn Lind
Department of Clinical Sciences, Pediatrics, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
J Nutr 134:1064-70. 2004..We wanted to explore the association between dietary iron intake and indicators of iron status, and to assess temporal changes in these variables...
- Effect of dietary iron overload on Photobacterium damselae ssp. piscicida pathogenicity in sea bass, Dicentrarchus labrax (L.)P N S Rodrigues
Molecular Immunology Unit, Institute for Molecular and Cell Biology IBMC, Porto, Portugal
J Fish Dis 27:673-6. 2004
- Vitamin and mineral supplements in pregnancy and the risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: a case-control studyJohn D Dockerty
Department of Preventive and Social Medicine, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
BMC Public Health 7:136. 2007..The present study tested that association...
- Moderate- and low-intensity co-infections by intestinal helminths and Schistosoma mansoni, dietary iron intake, and anemia in Brazilian childrenLuciara L Brito
Instituto De Saude Coletiva, Federal University of Bahia, Salvador, Brazil
Am J Trop Med Hyg 75:939-44. 2006..4 (95% CI, 1.2-4.6) compared with children with a single parasite species. Children with an adequate intake of iron had no increased odds of anemia independent of the combination of parasite infections...
- Dietary iron and heme iron intake and risk of breast cancer: a prospective cohort studyGeoffrey C Kabat
Department of Epidemiology and Population Health, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10461, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1306-8. 2007..Data from a food frequency questionnaire administered at baseline were used to calculate total dietary iron and heme iron intake...
- Effects of dietary iron reduction versus phlebotomy in patients with chronic hepatitis C: results from a randomized, controlled trial on 40 Japanese patientsYoshio Sumida
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Nara City Hospital, Nara, Japan
Intern Med 46:637-42. 2007Iron may play an important role in the pathogenesis of hepatitis C. We conducted this randomized, controlled trial comparing phlebotomy with dietary iron reduction.
- Dietary iron content mediates hookworm pathogenesis in vivoMelissa R Held
Program in International Child Health, Department of Pediatrics, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520, USA
Infect Immun 74:289-95. 2006..A series of experiments were designed in order to test the hypothesis that host dietary iron restriction mediates susceptibility to hookworm infection using the hamster model of Ancylostoma ceylanicum...
- The effects of dietary iron concentration on gastrointestinal and branchial assimilation of both iron and cadmium in zebrafish (Danio rerio)C A Cooper
Division of Health and Life Sciences, King s College London, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
Aquat Toxicol 79:167-75. 2006..8-fold induction) of zebrafish fed a low Fe diet. The correlation between Cd uptake and DMT1 expression suggests that one route of uptake of Cd, either from the diet or from the water, could be via DMT1...
- Dietary iron intake and risk of non-fatal acute myocardial infarctionAlessandra Tavani
Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Via Eritrea 62, I 20157 Milan, Italy
Public Health Nutr 9:480-4. 2006..This is of specific interest since iron is frequently included in supplementation and fortification of foods. We assessed the relation between dietary iron intake and the risk of non-fatal AMI.
- Effect of iron supplementation on physical growth in children: systematic review of randomised controlled trialsHps Sachdev
Division of Clinical Epidemiology, Department of Paediatrics, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, 110 002, India
Public Health Nutr 9:904-20. 2006..To evaluate the effect of iron supplementation on physical growth in children through a systematic review of randomised controlled trials (RCTs)...
- Dietary iron overload in the African and hepatocellular carcinomaMichael C Kew
MRC CANSA University Molecular Hepatology Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Baragwanath Hospital, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
Liver Int 27:735-41. 2007b>Dietary iron overload occurs commonly in parts of sub-Saharan Africa. It results from the consumption of large volumes of traditional beer that is home-brewed in iron pots or drums and consequently has a high iron content...
- Side effects of oral iron prophylaxis in pregnancy--myth or reality?Nils Milman
Department of Obstetrics, Gentofte Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Acta Haematol 115:53-7. 2006..It is a common belief among women that iron compounds have unpleasant gastrointestinal side effects...
- Biofortification of essential nutritional compounds and trace elements in rice and cassavaC Sautter
Institute of Plant Science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Universitaetsstr 2, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Nutr Soc 65:153-9. 2006..Current developments in biotechnology-assisted plant improvement are reviewed and the potential of the technology in addressing human nutrition and health are discussed...
- Dietary iron promotes azoxymethane-induced colon tumors in miceJillian N M Ilsley
Center for Molecular Medicine, University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT 06030, USA
Nutr Cancer 49:162-9. 2004There is accumulating evidence that high levels of dietary iron may play a role in colon carcinogenesis...
- Experiences and challenges in developing countriesRay Yip
Health and Nutrition Section, UNICEF, Beijing, China
J Nutr 132:827S-30S. 2002..In summary, effectively combining and balancing the needs of program implementation, research and community involvement will help combat Fe deficiency...
- Dietary iron induces rapid changes in rat intestinal divalent metal transporter expressionK Y Yeh
Section of Hematology Oncology, Departments of Medicine, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 279:G1070-9. 2000..We investigated changes in intestinal DMT1 expression after a bolus of dietary iron in iron-deficient Belgrade rats homozygous for the DMT1 G185R mutation (b/b) and phenotypically normal ..
- Anaemia in relation to low bioavailability of dietary iron among school-aged children in the Aral Sea region, KazakhstanM Hashizume
Department of International Community Health, Graduate School of Medicine, The University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Food Sci Nutr 55:37-43. 2004This study investigates anaemia related to the sufficiency of dietary iron intake of school-aged children in the Kzyl-Orda region of Kazakhstan. We conducted a cross-sectional study of 97 school-aged children living in Kzyl-Orda...
- Maternal folate supplementation in pregnancy and protection against acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in childhood: a case-control studyJ R Thompson
Cancer Foundation of Western Australia, WA, West Perth, Australia
Lancet 358:1935-40. 2001..Acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is the most common childhood cancer in more-developed countries but it has few recognised risk factors or preventive measures. We aimed to determine and assess the risk factors associated with this disease...
- Chronic exposure to high levels of dietary iron fortification increases lipid peroxidation in the mucosa of the rat large intestineE K Lund
Institute of Food Research, Norwich Research Park, Colney, Norwich, UK
J Nutr 131:2928-31. 2001There is increasing evidence that excess dietary iron may be a risk factor for colorectal cancer. However, the majority of animal studies looking at possible mechanism have used unrealistically high concentrations of iron...
- High dietary iron and copper and risk of colorectal cancer: a case-control study in Burgundy, FrancePierre Senesse
Registre Bourguignon des Cancers Digestifs, Faculte de Medecine, Dijon Cedex, France
Nutr Cancer 49:66-71. 2004..These findings regarding iron and copper suggest that free radicals play an important role in colorectal carcinogenesis, while the findings regarding vitamin E are so far unexplained...
- Iron bioavailability from fortified petit suisse cheese determined by the prophylactic-preventive methodM Janjetic
Stable Isotope Laboratory Applied to Biology and Medicine, Physics Department, School of Pharmacy and Biochemistry, University of Buenos Aires, 1113 Ciudad de Buenos Aires, Argentina
Biol Trace Elem Res 109:195-200. 2006..These results show that according to this method, the iron bioavailability from industrial fortified petit suisse cheese can be considered as a high bioavailability rate...
- Anaemia and iron deficiency anaemia among young adolescent girls from the peri urban coastal area of IndonesiaYustina Anie Indriastuti Kurniawan
Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia H R Rasuna Said, Block X 5, Kav 4 9, Jakarta 12950
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 15:350-6. 2006..The current iron-folate supplementation program for pregnant women should be expanded to adolescent girls...
- Advantages and limitations of iron amino acid chelates as iron fortificantsLindsay H Allen
International Nutrition, Department of Nutrition, University of California, Davis 95616, USA
Nutr Rev 60:S18-21; discussion S45. 2002
- [Control of iron deficiency in developing countries]Jacques Berger
Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, UR 106, Nutrition, Alimentation, sociétés, Centre collaborateur de l OMS pour la nutrition, IRD, BP 64501, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Sante 12:22-30. 2002....
- Comparison of the efficacy of wheat-based snacks fortified with ferrous sulfate, electrolytic iron, or hydrogen-reduced elemental iron: randomized, double-blind, controlled trial in Thai womenMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 82:1276-82. 2005..Although elemental iron powders are widely used to fortify cereal products, little data exist on their efficacy in humans...
- Salt dual-fortified with iodine and micronized ground ferric pyrophosphate affects iron status but not hemoglobin in children in Cote d'IvoireRita Wegmüller
Programme National de Nutrition, Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
J Nutr 136:1814-20. 2006..Iron utilization may have been impaired by the high prevalence of malaria and concurrent nutrient deficiencies...
- Iron metabolism in heterozygotes for hemoglobin E (HbE), alpha-thalassemia 1, or beta-thalassemia and in compound heterozygotes for HbE/beta-thalassemiaMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Am J Clin Nutr 88:1026-31. 2008..Despite large populations carrying traits for thalassemia in countries implementing universal iron fortification, there are few data on the absorption and utilization of iron in these persons...
- Supplementation with iron and riboflavin enhances dark adaptation response to vitamin A-fortified rice in iron-deficient, pregnant, nightblind Nepali womenJoanne M Graham
Program in International Nutrition, Department of Nutritional Biology, University of California Davis, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1375-84. 2007..Iron and riboflavin affect vitamin A utilization and photoreceptor function, respectively, and pilot data in the study population showed a high prevalence of iron and riboflavin deficiencies...
- Monterrey Workshop summary: evaluating the usefulness of elemental iron powdersLiz Turner
SUSTAIN, Washington, DC 20036, USA
Nutr Rev 60:S16-7; discussion S43-5. 2002
- Therapeutic effects of NaFeEDTA-fortified soy sauce in anaemic children in ChinaJunsheng Huo
Institute of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, Chinese Academy of Preventive Medicine, Beijing, China
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 11:123-7. 2002..It was concluded that nutritional intervention for anaemic students using NaFeEDTA-fortified soy sauce could play a positive role in the improvement of iron status and control of anaemia...
- Impact of fortification of flours with iron to reduce the prevalence of anemia and iron deficiency among schoolchildren in Caracas, Venezuela: a follow-upMiguel Layrisse
Centro de Medicina Experimental, Laboratorio de Fisiopatologia, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Cientificas IVIC, in Caracas, Venezuela
Food Nutr Bull 23:384-9. 2002....
- Cooking and Fe fortification have different effects on Fe bioavailability of bread and tortillasMiguel Hernandez
Unit of Research in Medical Nutrition, Nation Medical Center Siglo XXI, Mexico City, Mexico
J Am Coll Nutr 25:20-5. 2006..To identify iron sources for wheat- (WF) and corn-flour (CF) fortification taking into account the effect of cooking...
- Iron derivatives from casein hydrolysates as a potential source in the treatment of iron deficiencyMarcos V Chaud
Departamento de Ciencias Farmaceuticas, Faculdade de Ciencias Farmaceuticas de Ribeirao Preto, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 50:871-7. 2002..These results, taken together, suggest that the Fe(3+)-peptide complex is a potential compound for use as an iron source in biological situations...
- Iron status influences the efficacy of iodine prophylaxis in goitrous children in Côte d'IvoireMichael B Zimmermann
Laboratory for Human Nutrition, Food Science Institute, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Seestrasse 72 P O Box 474, CH 8803 Ruschlikon, Switzerland
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 72:19-25. 2002..The data suggest that a high prevalence of IDA among children in areas of endemic goiter may reduce the effectiveness of iodine prophylaxis...
- Community-level micronutrient fortification of a food supplement in India: a controlled trial in preschool children aged 36-66 moJessica L Varma
Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 85:1127-33. 2007..Children participating in the Integrated Child Development Service (ICDS) in India have high rates of iron and vitamin A deficiency...
- Iron, Metabolic Regulation and Type 2 Diabetes RiskDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..not only for well- described conditions of iron overload such as hereditary hemochromatosis (HH) but even for dietary iron excess resulting in serum ferritin concentrations within the higher ranges of "normal...
- Modifiers of hepcidin expression as new therapies for iron overloadPAULA GOODMAN FRAENKEL; Fiscal Year: 2013..of hepcidin, the key regulator of intestinal iron absorption and cellular iron storage, resulting in excessive dietary iron absorption...
- Molecular Mechanisms of Intestinal Metal Ion Transport During Iron DeficiencyJames F Collins; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Absorption of dietary iron in the doudenum determines overall body iron levels as no active excretory systems exist...
- The role of dinitrosyliron complexes in cancer etiologyDouglas D Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2013..by applicant): There is a significant epidemiologic association between both ferritin-bound stored iron and dietary iron with an increased risk of breast cancer...
- Divalent metal-ion transporter DMT1 and its role in intestinal metal-ion uptakeBryan Mackenzie; Fiscal Year: 2012..The gateway for dietary iron to enter the cells lining the intestine is a protein called DMT1, which can also transport the toxic metal ..
- Regulation of Iron Homeostasis by BMP SignalingJodie L Babitt; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hepcidin deficiency, which causes excessive dietary iron absorption and progressive tissue iron deposition and dysfunction, appears to be the common pathogenic ..
- The role of erythroferrone in iron homeostasis and in iron-loading anemiasTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2013..Both the absorption of dietary iron and the release of iron from stores are increased as erythropoiesis intensifies, but the mechanisms involved ..
- ZIP Proteins and Iron MetabolismMitchell D Knutson; Fiscal Year: 2012..to test the hypotheses that Zip14 plays a role in the uptake of non-transferrin-bound iron by the liver and dietary iron by the intestine...
- Iron reduction by phlebotomy for the prevention and treatment of type 2 diabetesDonald A McClain; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our data in animal models, validated in a small human sample, suggest that iron depletion of subjects with dietary iron overload should be beneficial to diabetes risk through two independent mechanisms, conferring increased insulin ..
- Ferroportin and Iron HomeostasisFrank M Torti; Fiscal Year: 2013..the circulation is matched to systemic iron demand: mutations in ferroportin and hepcidin lead to inappropriate dietary iron uptake and retention, and result in hemochromatosis, a disease of iron overload...
- Identification of Novel Genes That Modulate Systemic Iron HomeostasisKARIN ELISABETH FINBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..and in forms of hereditary hemochromatosis, hepcidin levels are inappropriately low, allowing absorption of dietary iron to persist despite increased total body iron stores...
- Chemical Genetics of Iron TransportMarianne Wessling-Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ferristatin also blocks iron uptake by DMT1, a ferrous iron transporter that functions in dietary iron absorption across the apical membrane of enterocytes and after iron delivery into endosomes by the transferrin-..
- Enhancing Dietary Iron and Zinc Bioavailability in Indian ChildrenSteven A Abrams; Fiscal Year: 2010..These benefits will lead to larger population-based studies and an enhanced understanding of using nutritional interventions in developing countries to improve health. ..
- Mechanisms of effect of iron status &interventions on malaria &other infectionsSteven L Spitalnik; Fiscal Year: 2012..and interventions in these model systems, encompasses three Specific Aims: (1) Test the hypothesis that dietary iron deficiency anemia increases the severity of the erythrocytic phases of P. berghei and P...
- Genetic Modifiers of Iron Status in Hemochromatosis HFE C282Y HomozygotesGordon D McLaren; Fiscal Year: 2011..This inborn error of iron metabolism is characterized by excessive dietary iron absorption and progressive accumulation of iron in the body, typically reaching toxic levels by mid life...
- Brain and behavior in iron deficient infantsBetsy Lozoff; Fiscal Year: 2011..Project I promises to be the first systematic investigation of brain and behavior effects of prenatal dietary iron deficiency in human infants (Aim 1)...
- Risk Factors for Pathologic Markers of Parkinson DiseaseGEORGE WEBSTER ROSS; Fiscal Year: 2010..factors found preliminarily to predict low SN neuron density at death include high total kilocalorie intake, dietary iron and manganese, non-smoking of cigarettes, work on a sugar or pineapple plantation, high body mass index, ..
- The Effects of Early Iron Deficiency on mTOR SignalingSTEPHANIE JB FRETHAM; Fiscal Year: 2010..commonly results from maternal anemia, gestational diabetes, intrauterine growth restriction and insufficient dietary iron intake...
- LipoGels for Chelation of Transfusional Iron-OverloadM PANG XIONG; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Body iron homeostasis can only be regulated through balance of dietary iron, chelating it to proteins, or by storing it in RES organs (bone marrow, spleen, and liver)...
- Iron Deficiency and Neural Tube DefectsIrene E Zohn; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, low dietary iron intake has been associated with increased NTD risk;however, more definitive evidence that iron is necessary for ..
- Hippocampal Electrophysiology and Myelinogenesis in Healthy Cognitive AgingPhilip W Landfield; Fiscal Year: 2013..Further, the course of myelinogenesis will be altered in long-term studies that manipulate dietary iron and/or treat with cuprizone...
- The effect of iron fortification of complementary foods on infant gut microbiotaMICHAEL BRUCE ZIMMERMANN; Fiscal Year: 2011..Provision of sufficient dietary iron to this age group is a challenge, and in-home iron fortification of complementary foods using micronutrient ..
- Prenatal Alcohol Exposure Dysregulates Fetal Iron HomeostasisShane M Huebner; Fiscal Year: 2013..or have undiagnosed iron deficiency, it is essential to understand how alcohol dysregulates maternal and fetal iron fate and risk for tissue injury before we attempt to improve FASD outcomes with dietary iron supplements.
- Cardiac Function and Cardiac iron (T2*) in ThalassemiaJohn Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..Each transfusion contributes more than a year's dietary iron intake, producing toxic iron overload in many organ systems including the heart...
- Defining the role of brain iron dysregulation in Huntington's diseaseJonathan H Fox; Fiscal Year: 2013..Findings will determine the extent to which dysregulated iron in HD brain potentiates disease;they may validate APP as a novel therapeutic target as well as provide insight into modulatory effects of dietary iron in HD.
- BRAIN IRON--MOBILIZATION, FUNCTION, REGULATIONJames Connor; Fiscal Year: 2000..This objective will be addressed using four experimental paradigms: normal development, dietary iron deficiency, hypotransferrinemia and compromised intracellular ability to store iron...
- The biology of gastrin-ferric ion complexesGRAHAM BALDWIN; Fiscal Year: 2009..patterns of progastrin expression and processing will be measured by radioimmunoassy in mice with altered dietary iron uptake, and in patients with hemochromatosis...
- HEMOCHROMATOSIS--GENETIC PREVALENCE AND PENETRANCEPRADYUMMA PHATAK; Fiscal Year: 2002..Affected individuals absorb excessive amounts of dietary iron and develop progressive accumulation of tissue iron stores with consequent organ dysfunction including hepatic ..
- IMPORTANT FACTORS IN THE REGULATION OF IRON ABSORPTIONRICHARD TOPHAM; Fiscal Year: 1992..of this research is a better understanding of the molecular mechanism and regulatory processes involved in dietary iron absorption and in iron mobilization from tissue stores...
- Fluorescence-based screen to probe hepcidin-ferroportin interactionsMarianne Wessling Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2006DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The final step of dietary iron assimilation - the exsorption of iron from the mucosa into circulation - involves the iron transport protein ferroportin...
- Iron dysregulation and Parkinson's diseaseJulie Andersen; Fiscal Year: 2009..We have recently generated preliminary data suggesting that both increased neonatal dietary iron intake and decreases in SN levels of the thiol antioxidant glutathione result in aberrantly sustained IRP ..
- ROLE OF CERULOPLASMIN IN IRON METABOLISM AND OVERLOADPaul Fox; Fiscal Year: 2003..The long-term goal of this research is to understand the specific function of Cp in iron homeostasis, and especially its role in primary (genetic) and secondary (dietary) iron overload states. ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL ASPECTS OF IRON NUTRITIONPETER DALLMAN; Fiscal Year: 1991b>Dietary iron deficiency impairs work performance by causing anemia and a decline in the oxidative capacity of muscle...
- Cannabinoid Inhibition of Divalent Metal Transporter-1 ActivityMarianne Wessling Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2009..DMT1 is responsible for dietary iron absorption across the intestine as well as the delivery of iron to peripheral tissues after receptor-mediated ..
- MURINE IRON METABOLISM MUTATION MICROCYTOSIS (MK)Mark Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2001..and cellular processes involved in intestinal iron absorption have not been elucidated, though uptake of dietary iron is clearly independent of the transferrin cycle...
- Neurotoxicology of dietary iron/manganese interactionsKeith Erikson; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recent rodent studies have linked dietary iron deficiency with excessive brain manganese accumulation, specifically in dopamine-rich brain regions...
- CALCIUM AND SALT INTAKEMICHAEL TORDOFF; Fiscal Year: 1999..e., during dietary iron or protein deficiency; reproduction; restraint; or treatment with furosemide or angiotensin-II)...
- Oxidative mutagenesis:Iron, Ascorbic Acid and GenesChristopher Bowlus; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators propose experiments that are designed to examine the interactive effects of dietary iron and ascorbic acid and genetic iron overload on iron loading, lipid peroxidation and mutagenesis...
- IRON DEFICIENCY AND DOPAMINEJohn Beard; Fiscal Year: 2004..This expansion of study to other neurotransmitters will significantly contribute to our knowledge of the effects of iron deficiency on brain functioning in early life. ..
- Intermediate Filaments 2008 Gordon Research ConferenceThomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Is S-adenosyl Methionine a Nutrition: Genetic Link in AD?Thomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Nanospheres as Vehicles for Treatment of NeuroblastomaThomas Shea; Fiscal Year: 2004..Resulting data will indicate whether or not nanospheres represent useful delivery agents for cancer therapy. ..
- THE ROLE OF INFLAMMATION IN ANEMIA OF THE ELDERLYTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study is designed to find how inflammation causes anemia in the elderly and how the disease processes are changed by available treatments. ..
- Intestinal ferroportin 1 expression and iron absorptionKwo Yih Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2009..The results should reveal mechanisms involved in the regulation and function of FPT1 and extend our understanding of intestinal iron absorption and body iron homeostatic regulation. ..
- Human Defensins in Phagocytes and EpitheliaTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2004..In the aggregate, these studies will expand our understanding of is ubiquitous and multifunctional family of human host defense peptides, this time also in their role as effectors of innate immunity in epithelia. ..
- IRON STATUS IN WOMEN OF REPRODUCTIVE AGEUsha Ramakrishnan; Fiscal Year: 2002..The investigators state that in summary, the project is expected to provide information that can be used to examine policy options and develop guidelines to ensure adequate but safe iron status for women of reproductive age. ..
- INNATE HOST DEFENSE IN THE HUMAN VAGINATomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- The role of hemojuvelin in the regulation of iron metabolismTomas Ganz; Fiscal Year: 2007..In turn, hepcidin inhibits the intestinal absorption of dietary iron, as well as iron recycling by macrophages and iron release from hepatic stores...
- Mammalian Lactoferrin Receptors: Structure and FunctionBo Lonnerdal; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overall, our understanding of the physiological significance of Lf and its receptor will be increased. ..
- FORMATION AND SURVIVAL OF RED BLOOD CELLSErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Should these point mutations fail to alter gene transcription, a search will be made for other potential mutations in linkage disequilibrium with the known -5,-8 and -24 polymorphisms, by sequencing upstream through the promotor. ..
- Iron transport and its regulation in C. elegansMarianne Wessling Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2002..elegans; 3) Use genetic selection to establish transport mutants useful for the elucidation of additional proteins involved in iron import and/or export and the factors that regulate these processes. ..
- SFT FUNCTION AND REGULATION IN HEMOCHROMATOSISMarianne Wessling Resnick; Fiscal Year: 2003..due to overload of this toxic metal and therefore a reciprocal relationship exists between body iron stores and dietary iron absorption, although the molecular basis for ion homeostasis remains unknown...
- SEVERE MALARIAL ANEMIA AND ALTERED IMMUNE FUNCTIONVictor Gordeuk; Fiscal Year: 2004..The nutritional status, underlying parasitic infections, and genotypes and numbers of infecting P. falciparum strains will also be characterized. ..
- IRON TRANSPORT IN A MURINE MODEL OF HEMOCHROMATOSISRobert Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2004..HH) is a common autosomal recessive disorder of iron metabolism characterized by excess absorption of dietary iron. HH is caused by mutation of HFE, a MHC class I-like protein found in stable association with Beta-2-..
- Antiatherogenic Properties of tert-ButylhydroquinoneWilliam Stone; Fiscal Year: 2004..Commercial development should be accelerated since NIH has already conducted extensive toxicological studies with TBHQ. ..
- Ferritin and Iron Nutrition in Health and DiseaseElizabeth Theil; Fiscal Year: 2005Alternatives to current management strategies for managing dietary iron deficiency can help compensate for the relative expense of food supplementation, for noncompliance with specific therapies and for interactions between supplements ..
- A Mouse Model of Gaucher DiseaseErnest Beutler; Fiscal Year: 2005..In particular, electron microscopy and light microscopy will be used to attempt to demonstrate the development of Gaucher cells in the chimeric mice. ..
- Role of Transferrin Receptor 2 in Iron HomeostasisRobert Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2007..physiologic mechanisms to modulate iron excretion in humans, homeostasis depends entirely upon tightly linking dietary iron absorption with iron utilization and storage...
- FUNCTIONAL SIGNIFICANCE OF EARLY IRON DEFICIENCYBetsy Lozoff; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..