Genomes and Genes
Summary: Helium. A noble gas with the atomic symbol He, atomic number 2, and atomic weight 4.003. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is not combustible and does not support combustion. It was first detected in the sun and is now obtained from natural gas. Medically it is used as a diluent for other gases, being especially useful with oxygen in the treatment of certain cases of respiratory obstruction, and as a vehicle for general anesthetics. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications352 found, 100 shown here
- Alveolarization continues during childhood and adolescence: new evidence from helium-3 magnetic resonanceManjith Narayanan
Department of Infection, Immunity and Inflammation, University of Leicester, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 185:186-91. 2012..The current hypothesis that human pulmonary alveolarization is complete by 3 years is contradicted by new evidence of alveolarization throughout adolescence in mammals...
- Imaging of lung function using hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance imaging: Review of current and emerging translational methods and applicationsSean Fain
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1398-408. 2010During the past several years there has been extensive development and application of hyperpolarized helium-3 (HP (3)He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in clinical respiratory indications such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- Helium-oxygen ventilation in the presence of expiratory flow-limitation: a model studyChiara Brighenti
Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica, Universita di Bologna, 47023 Cesena, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 157:326-34. 2007A comparison between air and heliox (80% helium-20% oxygen) ventilation was performed using a mathematical, non-linear dynamic, morphometric model of the respiratory system...
- MRI of the lungs using hyperpolarized noble gasesHARALD E MOLLER
Max Planck Institut für neuropsychologische Forschung, Leipzig, Germany
Magn Reson Med 47:1029-51. 2002..It presents recent progress in HP gas MRI and applications ranging from MR microscopy of airspaces to imaging pulmonary function in patients and suggests potential directions for future developments...
- Effect of heliox on lung dynamic hyperinflation, dyspnea, and exercise endurance capacity in COPD patientsPaolo Palange
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Servizio di Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, Universita La Sapienza, v le Universita 37, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:1637-42. 2004..71; P < 0.01). In chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heliox breathing improves high-intensity exercise endurance capacity by increasing maximal ventilatory capacity and by reducing lung DH and Dys...
- Heliox attenuates lung inflammation and structural alterations in acute lung injuryUrsula S Nawab
Division of Neonatology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 40:524-32. 2005..These data suggest that heliox breathing may have the combined therapeutic benefits of attenuating lung inflammation by reducing mechanical and oxidative stress in the clinical management of acute lung injury...
- The protective profile of argon, helium, and xenon in a model of neonatal asphyxia in ratsLei Zhuang
Department of Anesthesiology, Rui Jin Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
Crit Care Med 40:1724-30. 2012Xenon provides neuroprotection in multiple animal models; however, little is known about the other noble gases. The aim of the current study was to compare xenon, argon, and helium neuroprotection in a neonatal asphyxia model in rats.
- Phase-contrast MRI and CFD modeling of apparent ³He gas flow in rat pulmonary airwaysKevin R Minard
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, P O Box 999, Richland, WA 99352, USA
J Magn Reson 221:129-38. 2012..Higher-fidelity testing of pulmonary airflow predictions should therefore be possible with future imaging improvements...
- Cs atoms on helium nanodroplets and the immersion of Cs+ into the nanodropletMoritz Theisen
Institute of Experimental Physics, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 16, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Chem Phys 135:074306. 2011We report the non-desorption of cesium (Cs) atoms on the surface of helium nanodroplets (He(N)) in their 6(2)P(1/2) ((2)Π(1/2)) state upon photo-excitation as well as the immersion of Cs(+) into the He(N) upon photo-ionization via the 6(..
- Imaging techniques for small animal models of pulmonary disease: MR microscopyBastiaan Driehuys
Center for In Vivo Microscopy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Toxicol Pathol 35:49-58. 2007..A major advantage of MR is direct imaging of the gas spaces of the lung using breathable gases such as helium and xenon. When polarized, these gases become rich MR signal sources...
- Functional lung imaging using hyperpolarized gas MRISean B Fain
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53792, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 25:910-23. 2007..Recent advances in polarization, pulse sequence development for imaging with Xe-129, and prototype low magnetic field systems dedicated to lung imaging are highlighted as areas of future development for this rapidly evolving technology...
- Heliox improves oxygen delivery and utilization during dynamic exercise in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGaspar R Chiappa
Pulmonary Function and Clinical Exercise Physiology Unit SEFICE, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:1004-10. 2009..It remains to be determined whether part of these beneficial effects could be ascribed to increased O(2) delivery (O(2)DEL) to locomotor muscles...
- Sterilization of bacteria, yeast, and bacterial endospores by atmospheric-pressure cold plasma using helium and oxygenKyenam Lee
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul Women s University, Seoul 139 774, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 44:269-75. 2006Atmospheric-pressure cold plasma (APCP) using helium/oxygen was developed and tested as a suitable sterilization method in a clinical environment...
- Effect of heliox breathing on dynamic hyperinflation in COPD patientsMatteo Pecchiari
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Chest 125:2075-82. 2004..b>Helium-oxygen mixtures (ie, heliox) have been used in treating these patients on the assumption that, by lowering airway ..
- Use of helium-oxygen mixtures in the treatment of acute asthma: a systematic reviewGustavo J Rodrigo
Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas, Montevideo, Uruguay
Chest 123:891-6. 2003..To determine the effect of the addition of heliox to standard medical care on the course of acute asthma...
- Evaluation of emphysema severity and progression in a rabbit model: comparison of hyperpolarized 3He and 129Xe diffusion MRI with lung morphometryJaime F Mata
Dept of Radiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:1273-80. 2007..62-0.80, P < 0.001) with mean chord lengths from histology. These results further support the ability of diffusion-weighted MRI with hyperpolarized gases to detect regional and global structural changes of emphysema within the lung...
- The neuroprotective effects of xenon and helium in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injuryMark Coburn
Biophysics Section, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Crit Care Med 36:588-95. 2008..The "inert" gas xenon has been shown to be an effective neuroprotectant in a variety of in vitro and in vivo models of neuronal injury. We examined its neuroprotective properties in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injury...
- Post-ischemic helium provides neuroprotection in rats subjected to middle cerebral artery occlusion-induced ischemia by producing hypothermiaHelene N David
NNOXe Pharmaceuticals, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1159-65. 2009..Interestingly, recent findings have shown that helium, which is a cost-efficient inert gas with no anesthetic properties, can provide neuroprotection against acute ..
- Inert gas washout: theoretical background and clinical utility in respiratory diseasePaul D Robinson
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Respiration 78:339-55. 2009....
- Neuroprotection (and lack of neuroprotection) afforded by a series of noble gases in an in vitro model of neuronal injuryNoorulhuda Jawad
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
Neurosci Lett 460:232-6. 2009..In this study, the neuroprotective properties of the other noble gases, namely, krypton, argon, neon and helium, were explored in an in vitro model of neuronal injury...
- Accelerated mice skin acute wound healing in vivo by combined treatment of argon and helium plasma needleElizabeth García-Alcantara
Plasma Physics Laboratory and Cell Radiobiology Laboratory, Instituto Nacional de Investigaciones Nucleares, Mexico D F, Mexico
Arch Med Res 44:169-77. 2013..In the development of the present study, an argon plasma needle was chosen for coagulation purposes, whereas for healing purposes, a helium plasma needle was used.
- Volumetry of ventilated airspaces by 3He MRI: preliminary resultsH U Kauczor
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Invest Radiol 36:110-4. 2001..To develop a validated post-processing routine for volumetry of the ventilated airspaces by 3He MRI...
- The variability of regional airflow obstruction within the lungs of patients with asthma: assessment with hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance imagingEduard E de Lange
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:1072-8. 2007..With hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance (H(3)HeMR) imaging, the airspaces are depicted and focal areas of airflow obstruction are ..
- ³He lung morphometry technique: accuracy analysis and pulse sequence optimizationA L Sukstanskii
Department of Radiology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Magn Reson 207:234-41. 2010..It is demonstrated that the optimal choice represents three not equidistant b-values: b(1)=0, b(2)∼2 s/cm(2), b(3)∼8 s/cm(2)...
- Helium oxygen mixtures in the intensive care unitJ C Chevrolet
University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Crit Care 5:179-81. 2001Heliox, a mixture of helium and oxygen, has a density that is less than that of air...
- The role of laser fluence in cell viability, proliferation, and membrane integrity of wounded human skin fibroblasts following helium-neon laser irradiationDenise H Hawkins
Faculty of Health, University of Johannesburg, P O Box 17011, Doornfontein, Johannesburg 2028, South Africa
Lasers Surg Med 38:74-83. 2006..This study aimed to establish cellular responses to Helium-Neon (632.8 nm) laser irradiation using different laser fluences (0.5, 2...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: quantification of bronchodilator effects by using hyperpolarized ³He MR imagingMiranda Kirby
Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, London, ON, Canada
Radiology 261:283-92. 2011To evaluate short-acting bronchodilator effects in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) by using hyperpolarized helium 3 (³He) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, spirometry, and plethysmography.
- Whole-cell imaging at nanometer resolutions using fast and slow focused helium ionsXiao Chen
Centre for Ion Beam Applications, Department of Physics, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Biophys J 101:1788-93. 2011..Microscopy using helium ions can play a major role in both surface and subcellular imaging because it can provide subnanometer resolutions ..
- Biological effects of helium-neon laser irradiation on normal and wounded human skin fibroblastsD Hawkins
Faculty of Health Sciences, Technikon Witwatersrand, Doornfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa
Photomed Laser Surg 23:251-9. 2005..This study aimed to investigate a number of structural, cellular, and molecular responses to heliumneon (632.8 nm) laser irradiation following a single dose of 0.5, 2.5, 5, or 10 J/cm2 on normal and wounded human skin fibroblasts...
- Experimental investigation and numerical simulation of 3He gas diffusion in simple geometries: implications for analytical models of 3He MR lung morphometryJ Parra-Robles
Academic Unit of Radiology, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, University of Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson 204:228-38. 2010..The results presented here demonstrate that physical assumptions of the cylinder model are not valid for large diffusion gradient strengths (above approximately 15 mT/m), which are commonly used for (3)He ADC measurements in human lungs...
- Comparison of plethysmographic and helium dilution lung volumes: which is best for COPD?Carl R O'Donnell
ScD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Dana 717, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Chest 137:1108-15. 2010..We sought to compare plethysmography (Pleth)-, helium dilution (He)- and CT scan-derived lung volume measurements in a sample containing many patients with severe ..
- The difference in ventilation heterogeneity between asthmatic and healthy subjects quantified using hyperpolarized 3He MRIYang Sheng Tzeng
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:813-22. 2009..Once ventilation heterogeneity is established, it is the lack of reversal following DIs that distinguishes asthmatics from non-asthmatics...
- Evaluation of asthma with hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI: correlation with clinical severity and spirometryEduard E de Lange
University of Virginia Health Sciences System, Department of Radiology, HSC 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Chest 130:1055-62. 2006Accurate characterization of asthma severity is difficult due to the variability of symptoms. Hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI (H(3)HeMR) is a new technique in which the airspaces are visualized, depicting regions with airflow obstruction as "..
- Heliox and noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation: a role for heliox in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?Dean R Hess
Department of Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Respir Care 51:640-50. 2006..Examining the physics of gas flow, a case can be made either for or against the use of helium-oxygen mixture (heliox) in the care of patients with COPD...
- Heliox-driven albuterol nebulization for asthma exacerbations: an overviewIn K Kim
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Kosair Children s Hospital, University of Louisville, 571 S Floyd Street, Suite 300, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Respir Care 51:613-8. 2006Our understanding of albuterol nebulization driven by helium-oxygen mixture (heliox) has matured with recent advances in clinical therapy, delivery systems, and understanding of dosing; this has led to substantial improvements in delivery ..
- Tooth bleaching with nonthermal atmospheric pressure plasmaHyun Woo Lee
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang
J Endod 35:587-91. 2009We demonstrated that room temperature plasma could be used for tooth bleaching. A nonthermal, atmospheric pressure, helium plasma jet device was developed to enhance the tooth bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2))...
- Pulmonary ventilation and perfusion scanning using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI and arterial spin tagging in healthy normal subjects and in pulmonary embolism and orthotopic lung transplant patientsDavid A Lipson
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Magn Reson Med 47:1073-6. 2002..The acquisition of pulmonary V/Q images using MRI overcomes these difficulties. When inhaled, hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) permits MRI of gas distribution...
- Combined helium-3/proton magnetic resonance imaging measurement of ventilated lung volumes in smokers compared to never-smokersNeil Woodhouse
Unit Academic of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:365-9. 2005To use a combination of helium-3 (3-He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and proton single-shot fast spin echo (SSFSE) to compare ventilated lung volumes in groups of "healthy" smokers, smokers diagnosed with moderate chronic obstructive ..
- Prognostic factors and recurrence of hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma after argon-helium cryoablation: a prospective studyChunping Wang
Center of Therapeutic Research for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, 100039 Beijing, China
Clin Exp Metastasis 26:839-48. 2009To determine the long-term prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) after argon-helium cryoablation and identify the risk factors that predict metastasis and recurrence...
- Demonstration of the heterogeneous distribution of asthma in the lungs using CT and hyperpolarized helium-3 MRIRavi Aysola
University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1379-87. 2010..Thus, cross sectional imaging in asthma is providing new insights into the pathophysiology of the disease and has the potential to become essential in the guidance of localized treatments...
- Overall and peripheral inhomogeneity of ventilation in patients with stable cystic fibrosisA Van Muylem
Department of Chest Medicine, Erasme University Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Pulmonol 30:3-9. 2000..washout consisting of 1 L inspired from functional residual capacity (FRC test) of 90% oxygen (O(2)), 5% helium (He), and 5% sulfur hexafluoride (SF(6))...
- Helium-hyperoxia: a novel intervention to improve the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with COPDNeil D Eves
Faculty of Kinesiology and the Division of Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chest 135:609-18. 2009b>Helium-hyperoxia (HH) reduces dyspnea and increases exercise tolerance in patients with COPD...
- Effect of heliox, oxygen and air breathing on helium bubbles after heliox divingO Hyldegaard
Laboratory ofHyperbaric Medicine, Department of Anaesthesia, Centre of Head and Orthopaedics, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Undersea Hyperb Med 34:107-22. 2007In helium saturated rat abdominal adipose tissue, helium bubbles were studied at 101.3 kPa during breathing of either heliox(80:20), 100% oxygen or air after decompression from an exposure to heliox at 405 kPa for one hour...
- Helium-neon laser irradiation stimulates cell proliferation through photostimulatory effects in mitochondriaWan Ping Hu
Faculty of Biotechnology and Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 127:2048-57. 2007..Recent evidence indicates that cellular proliferation could be triggered by the interaction of a helium-neon laser (He-Ne laser, 632.8 nm) with the mitochondrial photoacceptor-cytochrome c oxidase...
- Noble gases without anesthetic properties protect myocardium against infarction by activating prosurvival signaling kinases and inhibiting mitochondrial permeability transition in vivoPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, The Medical College of Wisconsin and the Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 105:562-9. 2007..We hypothesized that other noble gases without anesthetic properties [helium (He), neon (Ne), argon (Ar)] also produce cardioprotection, and further hypothesized that this beneficial effect ..
- Contrast mechanisms and image formation in helium ion microscopyDavid C Bell
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Center for Nanoscale Systems, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Microsc Microanal 15:147-53. 2009The helium ion microscope is a unique imaging instrument...
- Imaging the lungs in asthmatic patients by using hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance: assessment of response to methacholine and exercise challengeSaba Samee
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1355, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:1205-11. 2003..Hyperpolarized helium-3 (HHe3) provides a new technique for magnetic resonance imaging of lung diseases.
- Helium-hyperoxia, exercise, and respiratory mechanics in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNeil D Eves
Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 1N4
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:763-71. 2006Hyperoxia and normoxic helium independently reduce dynamic hyperinflation and improve the exercise tolerance of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Psychophysiological reactions in humans during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixtureJ H Abraini
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Intégrée et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Marseille, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 76:1113-8. 1994..investigated for neurological and psychosensorimotor responses during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixture containing 49% hydrogen...
- Respiratory controversies in the critical care setting. Should heliox be used for mechanically ventilated patients?William E Hurford
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0531, USA
Respir Care 52:582-91; discussion 591-4. 2007b>Helium is an inert gas with a very low density (0.18 g/L), which allows it to pass through narrowed passages with less turbulence than nitrogen or oxygen...
- MR-compatible ventilator for small animals: computer-controlled ventilation for proton and noble gas imagingL W Hedlund
Center for In Vivo Microscopy, Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 18:753-9. 2000..This ventilator has been used in a wide variety of MR and x-ray microscopy studies of small animals, especially for MR imaging the lungs with hyperpolarized gases ((3)He & (129)Xe)...
- Changes in regional airflow obstruction over time in the lungs of patients with asthma: evaluation with 3He MR imagingEduard E de Lange
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 250:567-75. 2009..regional airflow obstruction over time in the lungs of patients with asthma, as demonstrated with hyperpolarized helium 3 ((3)He) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, and to assess correlations with disease severity and use of asthma ..
- Helium-oxygen versus air-oxygen noninvasive pressure support in decompensated chronic obstructive disease: A prospective, multicenter studyPhilippe Jolliet
Medical Intensive Care Division, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 31:878-84. 2003To study whether noninvasive pressure support ventilation (NIPSV) with helium/oxygen (He/oxygen), which can reduce dyspnea, PaCO2, and work of breathing more than NIPSV with air/oxygen in decompensated chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- A multicenter, randomized trial of noninvasive ventilation with helium-oxygen mixture in exacerbations of chronic obstructive lung diseaseSalvatore Maurizio Maggiore
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Agostino Gemelli University Hospital, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Crit Care Med 38:145-51. 2010To assess the effect of a helium-oxygen mixture on intubation rate and clinical outcomes during noninvasive ventilation in acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Quantitative measurement of regional lung ventilation using 3He MRIAnselm J Deninger
Amersham Health R and D, Medeon, SE 205 12 Malmö, Sweden
Magn Reson Med 48:223-32. 2002A new strategy for a quantitative measurement of regional pulmonary ventilation using hyperpolarized helium-3 (3He) MRI has been developed. The method employs the build-up of the signal intensity after a variable number of (3)He breaths...
- The mechanism of helium-induced preconditioning: a direct role for nitric oxide in rabbitsPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Anesthesia Service, 5000 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 107:762-8. 2008b>Helium produces preconditioning against myocardial infarction by activating prosurvival signaling, but whether nitric oxide (NO) generated by endothelial NO synthase plays a role in this phenomenon is unknown...
- Heliox and oxygen reduce infarct volume in a rat model of focal ischemiaYi Pan
Department of Neurology, Saint Louis University Hospital, 3635 Vista Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 205:587-90. 2007..rats breathed 30% oxygen and 70% nitrogen (control group), 100% oxygen (hyperoxia group), or 30% oxygen and 70% helium (heliox group) during a middle cerebral artery occlusion for 2 h and a 1-hour reperfusion (n=6 in each group)...
- Peripheral airway involvement in asthma assessed by single-breath SF6 and He washoutP M Gustafsson
Dept of Paediatrics, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Eur Respir J 21:1033-9. 2003..Peripheral airway function was measured using a single-breath sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and helium (He) washout test and overall airway function by forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) at rest, after CACh ..
- Improved abdominal wall wound healing by helium pneumoperitoneumR Rosch
Department of Surgery, University Hospital Aachen, Pauwelsstrasse 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Surg Endosc 20:1892-6. 2006..Questions remain regarding the risk of port-site hernias and hernia recurrence. The current study investigated the gas-dependent effects of pneumoperitoneum on laparotomy wound healing...
- Use of heliox in childrenTimothy R Myers
Asthma Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Respir Care 51:619-31. 2006For over 70 years, helium-oxygen mixture (heliox) has been promoted as adjunctive therapy to overcome airflow-obstructive disorders and lesions...
- Acinar structure in symptom-free adults by Helium-3 magnetic resonanceBarnaby Waters
School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:847-51. 2006..The apparent diffusion coefficient of hyperpolarized (3)He in the lungs has been shown to correlate directly in animal models with the peripheral airspace size and can detect changes in lung microstructure...
- Early emphysematous changes in asymptomatic smokers: detection with 3He MR imagingSean B Fain
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin, J3 110 CSC Medical Physics, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Radiology 239:875-83. 2006..compare apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) measurements derived from diffusion-weighted hyperpolarized helium 3 (3He) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging with functional and structural findings using spirometric tests and thin-..
- Advances in magnetic resonance imaging of lung physiologySusan R Hopkins
Department of Medicine, University of California San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 102:1244-54. 2007..In addition, some of the physiological issues associated with making measurements are discussed, along with strategies for understanding large and complex data sets...
- 3D volume-localized pO2 measurement in the human lung with 3He MRIJim M Wild
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, UK
Magn Reson Med 53:1055-64. 2005..It is shown that the 2D thin-slice technique systematically underestimates pO2 when there is significant gas diffusion (factor of 4 underestimate for D = 0.9 cm(2)s(-1) representative of free (3)He in air)...
- Morphology of the rat peritoneum after carbon dioxide and helium pneumoperitoneum: a scanning electron microscopic studyJ Ordemann
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery, Medical Faculty, Humboldt University Shumannstrasse 20 21, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Surg Endosc 18:1389-93. 2004..The influence of carbon dioxide (CO(2)) and helium pneumoperitoneum on the morphology of the peritoneum was examined.
- Formation and properties of metal clusters isolated in helium dropletsJosef Tiggesbäumker
Institut fur Physik, Universitat Rostock, 18051, Rostock, Germany
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:4748-70. 2007The unique conditions forming atomic and molecular complexes and clusters using superfluid helium nanodroplets have opened up an innovative route for studying the physical and chemical properties of matter on the nanoscale...
- Functional MRI of the lung using hyperpolarized 3-helium gasEdwin J R van Beek
Academic Unit of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 20:540-54. 2004..Four different techniques that have been used in various human investigations are discussed: ventilation distribution, ventilation dynamics, and small airway evaluation using diffusion imaging and oxygen uptake assessment...
- Helium-oxygen therapy for pediatric acute severe asthma requiring mechanical ventilationShamel A Abd-Allah
Pediatric Critical Care Division and Respiratory Care Department, Loma Linda University School of Medicine, Loma Linda, CA, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 4:353-7. 2003To illustrate the use of helium-oxygen gas mixtures as therapy for pediatric patients with acute severe asthma requiring conventional mechanical ventilation.
- Ionization and fragmentation of isomeric van der Waals complexes embedded in helium nanodropletsWilliam K Lewis
Department of Chemistry, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27599, USA
J Chem Phys 129:201101. 2008The ionization and charge transfer processes, which occur when a doped helium droplet undergoes electron impact, are studied for droplets doped with van der Waals complexes with various structures and electrostatic moments...
- Evaluation of the pulsed discharge helium ionization detector for the analysis of hydrogen and methane in breathMark T Roberge
Department of Chemistry, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
J Chromatogr A 1027:19-23. 2004Under the appropriate separation conditions the pulsed discharge helium ionization detector (PDHID) was used to detect hydrogen and methane separated from the matrix components of human breath samples...
- Ultrastructural analysis of wild type and mutant Drosophila melanogaster using helium ion microscopyAdam Boseman
Department of Nanoscience, Joint School of Nanoscience and Nanoengineering, University of North Carolina Greensboro, USA
Micron 51:26-35. 2013..In this paper we use a new technology, helium ion microscopy (HIM) to examine surface structures on the cuticle of wild type and mutant Drosophila...
- Helium and other alternative insufflation gases for laparoscopyS J Neuhaus
Department of Surgery, The University of Adelaide, Royal Adelaide Hospital, North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Surg Endosc 15:553-60. 2001..Other possibilities include gasless laparoscopy, helium, nitrous oxide, (N(2)O), and argon...
- Ionization of doped helium nanodroplets: complexes of C60 with water clustersS Denifl
Institut für Ionenphysik und Angewandte Physik and Center for Molecular Biosciences Innsbruck, Leopold Franzens Universitat, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
J Chem Phys 132:234307. 2010..Mass spectra recorded by electron ionization of water-doped helium droplets show that the helium matrix also fails to quench OH loss...
- The impact of conventional and laparoscopic colon resection (CO2 or helium) on intraperitoneal adhesion formation in a rat peritonitis modelC A Jacobi
Department of General, Visceral, Vascular, and Thoracic Surgery, Charite, Humboldt University of Berlin, Schumann Strasse 20 21, D 10098 Berlin, Germany
Surg Endosc 15:380-6. 2001....
- Mechanical ventilation during pregnancy using a helium-oxygen mixture in a patient with respiratory failure due to status asthmaticusR George
Department of Child Health, The University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65212, USA
J Perinatol 21:395-8. 2001..Mechanical ventilation was provided with a combination of oxygen and helium to facilitate gas exchange and limit peak inflating pressures...
- Exercise tolerance with helium-hyperoxia versus hyperoxia in hypoxaemic patients with COPDFernando Queiroga
Division of Respiratory Diseases, Dept of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Eur Respir J 42:362-70. 2013The purpose of this study was to investigate whether helium-hyperoxia (HeHOx) would allow greater tolerance to maximal and submaximal exercise compared to hyperoxia (HOx) on isolation in hypoxaemic chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (..
- Electron interaction with nitromethane embedded in helium droplets: attachment and ionization measurementsF Ferreira da Silva
Institut für Ionenphysik und Angewandte Physik and Centre of Molecular Biosciences Innsbruck, Universitat Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
J Chem Phys 135:174504. 2011Results of a detailed study on electron interactions with nitromethane (CH(3)NO(2)) embedded in helium nanodroplets are reported. Anionic and cationic products formed are analysed by mass spectrometry...
- Outcomes of ultrasound-guided percutaneous argon-helium cryoablation of hepatocellular carcinomaYongping Yang
Center of Therapeutic Research for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, Beijing 302nd Hospital, Beijing, 100039, China
J Hepatobiliary Pancreat Sci 19:674-84. 2012To evaluate the efficacy and safety of ultrasound (US)-guided percutaneous argon-helium cryoablation for hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) and determine appropriate indications.
- Ion-molecule reactions of ammonia clusters with C60 aggregates embedded in helium dropletsHarald Schöbel
Institut für Ionenphysik und Angewandte Physik and Center for Molecular Biosciences Innsbruck, Leopold Franzens Universitat, Technikerstr 25, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Phys Chem Chem Phys 13:1092-8. 2011b>Helium nanodroplets are co-doped with C(60) and ammonia. Mass spectra obtained by electron ionization reveal cations containing ammonia clusters complexed with up to four C(60) units...
- Heliox, dyspnoea and exercise in COPDT Hunt
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, Repatriation General Hospital, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia
Eur Respir Rev 19:30-8. 2010..Despite the low density, inert nature, strong safety profile and multiple applications of helium gas, the potential benefit of helium-oxygen gas mixtures as an adjunct therapy to modify disease symptoms and ..
- (3)he-MRI-based measurements of intrapulmonary p(O2) and its time course during apnea in healthy volunteers: first results, reproducibility, and technical limitationsA J Deninger
Department of Physics, University of Mainz, Staudingerweg 7, D 55099 Mainz, Germany
NMR Biomed 13:194-201. 2000..Also, regional differences of both p(0) and R were observed. A correlation between p(0) and R was apparent. Finally, we discuss limitations of the double acquisition approach...
- Helium ion microscopy of Lepidoptera scalesStuart A Boden
Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton, Highfield, Southampton, Hampshire, United Kingdom
Scanning 34:107-20. 2012In this report, helium ion microscopy (HIM) is used to study the micro and nanostructures responsible for structural color in the wings of two species of Lepidotera from the Papilionidae family: Papilio ulysses (Blue Mountain Butterfly) ..
- The ventilation distribution of helium-oxygen mixtures and the role of inertial losses in the presence of heterogeneous airway obstructionsIra M Katz
Medical Gases Group, Air Liquide Santé International, Centre de recherche Claude Delorme, 1 chemin de la porte des Loges, B P 126, Les Loges en Josas 78354, France
J Biomech 44:1137-43. 2011..In the present work, the effects of heterogeneous airway obstructions on the distribution of air and helium-oxygen were examined using an in vitro model, the two compartments of a dual adult test lung...
- Rapid and precise scanning helium ion microscope milling of solid-state nanopores for biomolecule detectionJijin Yang
Carl Zeiss NTS, LLC, One Corporation Way, Peabody, MA 01960, USA
Nanotechnology 22:285310. 2011We report the formation of solid-state nanopores using a scanning helium ion microscope...
- Emphysema: hyperpolarized helium 3 diffusion MR imaging of the lungs compared with spirometric indexes--initial experienceMichael Salerno
Center for In vivo Hyperpolarized Gas MR Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1000 Lee St, Box 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 222:252-60. 2002To quantitatively evaluate hyperpolarized helium 3 ((3)He) diffusion magnetic resonance (MR) images of the lung in patients with emphysema and to determine whether apparent diffusion coefficients (ADCs) measured with MR imaging correlate ..
- Nuclear magnetic resonance of laser-polarized noble gases in molecules, materials, and organismsBoyd M Goodson
Materials Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Department of Chemistry, University of California, Berkeley 94720 1460, USA
J Magn Reson 155:157-216. 2002....
- Gas diffusion in a pulmonary acinus model: experiments with hyperpolarized helium-3Dayane Habib
U2R2M UMR8081 University Paris Sud CNRS, Batiment 220, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Magn Reson Imaging 26:1101-13. 2008Diffusion of hyperpolarized helium-3 in epoxy phantoms was experimentally studied by pulsed-gradient nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)...
- Merging parametric active contours within homogeneous image regions for MRI-based lung segmentationNilanjan Ray
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22:189-99. 2003Inhaled hyperpolarized helium-3 (3He) gas is a new magnetic resonance (MR) contrast agent that is being used to study lung functionality...
- Contrasting pressure-support ventilation and helium-oxygen during exercise in severe COPDOmar Hussain
Edward Hines, Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, 111N, 5th Avenue and Roosevelt Road, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Respir Med 105:494-505. 2011b>Helium-oxygen mixtures and pressure-support ventilation have been used to unload the respiratory muscles and increase exercise tolerance in COPD...
- Bench and mathematical modeling of the effects of breathing a helium/oxygen mixture on expiratory time constants in the presence of heterogeneous airway obstructionsAndrew R Martin
Medical Gases, American Air Liquide, Delaware Research and Technology Center DRTC, 200 GBC Drive, Newark, DE 19702, USA
Biomed Eng Online 11:27. 2012..Breathing low-density helium/oxygen mixtures may modify regional time constants so as to redistribute ventilation, potentially reducing gas ..
- Hyperpolarized 3He magnetic resonance functional imaging semiautomated segmentationMiranda Kirby
Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, London, Canada
Acad Radiol 19:141-52. 2012..MRI) for multicenter, multiobserver studies, we generated a semiautomated segmentation method for hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) MRI...
- Helium:oxygen versus air:oxygen noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation in patients exposed to sulfur mustardMostafa Ghanei
Research Center of Chemical Injuries, Baqiyatallah Medical Science University, Tehran, Iran
Heart Lung 40:e84-9. 2011..This study assessed the effectiveness of noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation, adjunct with 79:21 helium:oxygen instead of 79:21 air:oxygen, in 24 patients with a previous exposure to SM presenting with acute ..
- Optical pumping system design for large production of hyperpolarizedI C Ruset
Department of Physics, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
Phys Rev Lett 96:053002. 2006..3 l/h Xe flow rate, and maximum magnetization output of 6 l/h at 22% polarization. Our findings regarding the polarization dependence on temperature, nitrogen partial pressure, and gas mixture flow velocity are also reported...
- Delivery of helium–oxygen mixture during spontaneous breathing: evaluation of three high-concentration face masksFerran Roche-Campo
Medical Intensive Care Unit, AP HP Groupe Hospitalier Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Intensive Care Med 37:1787-92. 2011To evaluate the efficacy of delivering a mixture of helium and oxygen gas (He–O2) in spontaneous ventilation...
- Hyperpolarized 3helium magnetic resonance ventilation imaging of the lung in cystic fibrosis: comparison with high resolution CT and spirometryColm J McMahon
Department of Radiology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Radiol 16:2483-90. 2006..01, respectively) than HRCT (R = +/-0.72 and +/-0.81, p < 0.05, respectively). This study showed that 3He MRI correlates strongly with structural HRCT abnormalities and is a stronger correlate of spirometry than HRCT in CF...
- Heliox therapy for pneumothorax: new indication for an old remedyJ Barr
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Ann Emerg Med 30:159-62. 1997To evaluate a new method of treating pneumothorax: having the subject breathe a helium/oxygen mixture (heliox).
- Helium-3 diffusion MR imaging of the human lung over multiple time scalesJohn P Mugler
Center for In vivo Hyperpolarized Gas MR Imaging, Department of Radiology, Box 801339, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Acad Radiol 15:693-701. 2008....
- Emphysematous changes and normal variation in smokers and COPD patients using diffusion 3He MRIAndrew J Swift
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, Floor C, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Eur J Radiol 54:352-8. 2005....
- Heliox delivery with noninvasive positive pressure ventilation: a laboratory studyS Chatmongkolchart
Department of Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Respir Care 46:248-54. 2001BACKGROUND: There is clinical interest in the use of heliox (helium-oxygen mixture) during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV), but delivery of heliox with ventilators designed for NPPV has not been reported...
- Physiologic implications of helium as a carrier gas for inhaled nitric oxide in a neonatal model of Bethanecol-induced bronchoconstrictionThomas L Miller
Nemours Research Lung Center, Nemours Children s Clinic Wilmington of the Nemours Foundation, Alfred I duPont Children s Hospital, Wilmington, DE, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 7:159-64. 2006..We hypothesized that respiratory resistance and gas exchange would improve when iNO is delivered with heliox...
- Development of aerosol drug delivery with helium oxygen gas mixturesT E Corcoran
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Aerosol Med 17:299-309. 2004Aerosol drug delivery using helium-oxygen gas mixtures (heliox) is considered in terms of flow physics, atomization, and aerosol mechanics...
- High-Tc susceptometer to monitor transfusional iron overload (NSR device)Gary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2012..laboratories originally developed low-transition-temperature (low-Tc;operating at 4[unreadable]K, cooled by liquid helium) superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) susceptometry as a clinical method for quantitation of ..
- Imaging regional physiologic parameters of lung functionRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2011..ventilation, perfusion, and ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, as well as oxygen depletion rate and diffusivity of helium-3 in the lung...
- Assessment of lung function in neonates and infantsIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2013..We propose to develop a simple and elegant method for administering hyperpolarized helium-3 (HHe) to neonates and infants...
- Xenon MRI assessment of response to cystic fibrosis therapiesIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2012..To date all hyperpolarized-gas MRI studies in children have employed hyperpolarized helium-3 due to wider access to the required infrastructure...
- Structural Mechanism of the Acetylcholine Receptor in Tubular Membrane CrystalsPETER NIGEL UNWIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..The electron images will be recorded with an ultra- stable liquid-helium cooled stage to minimize radiation damage and to optimize electron- optical performance...
- High Resolution Labels for EMJames F Hainfeld; Fiscal Year: 2012..Electron microscopes have recently advanced with the advent of cryoEM, large array CCDs, helium stages, energy filters, aberration correctors, tomography, and automation...
- Severe Asthma Research Program (SARP)-Washington UniversityMario Castro; Fiscal Year: 2013..by multidetector-row CT of the chest (MDCT) leading to ventilation defects demonstrated by hyperpolarized helium (^He) MRI and air trapping demonstrated by MDCT, and (III) airway remodeling associated with more severe and ..
- MRI Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) system with low cost, highly stable magMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2013..System 1000 MRI image guided radiation therapy (IGRT) system is being threatened by the growing shortage of helium worldwide...
- Regulatory Advancement of HXe as a Diagnostic MRI Contrast AgentIULIAN CONSTANTIN RUSET; Fiscal Year: 2013..Recently completed pilot studies show that hyperpolarized helium diffusion imaging with six b-values can separately determine diffusion coefficients along and transverse to acinar ..
- RF Interface System and Coil for Multi-Nuclear Lung MR Imaging at 3TRALPH HASHOIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Hyperpolarized helium and xenon MRI of the lungs has been shown to provide useful physiological information about pulmonary function...
- Novel Mass Spectrometer for Comprhensive No-Loss MS/MS of All Stored IonsSunnie Myung; Fiscal Year: 2010..the pressure within the ion trap to allow us to use optimal gases in the various regions of the instrument: helium in the high-capacity ion trap, N2 in the ion source cooling region, and N2 or argon in the collision cell...
- Producing Large Quantities of Polarized Xenon with DNP MethodRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2013..optimized system for increasing the surface area/volume ratio of xenon/radical/solvent mixture and the superfluid helium bath will be engineered to polarize large volumes of xenon in a few hours in the frozen state~ 2) Develop methods ..
- Protein-Mineral Interactions During Initial Stages of Enamel FormationFelicitas B Bidlack; Fiscal Year: 2013..Furthermore, this project aims to develop the use of Helium Ion Microscopy (HIM) for the high-resolution visualization and analysis of both mineral and organic phase in ..
- Peptide-targeted alpha-particle emitting phage for ovarian cancer therapy.Thomas P Quinn; Fiscal Year: 2013..Alpha particles are helium 4He ions that result in high linear energy transfer (LET) upon emission, significantly higher than the LET of 2-..
- Crystallography without crystals: Atomic structure determination of laser orienteWei Kong; Fiscal Year: 2010..protein ions generated from an electrospray ionization source will be embedded in a pulsed stream of superfluid helium droplets...
- Reperfusion Injury Protection Strategies During Basic Life SupportDemetri Yannopoulos; Fiscal Year: 2013..chest compressions, and pharmacological postconditioning with inhaled agents (IAPC) such as sevoflurane or helium administered through the lungs during the first 3 min of CPR...
- A Cryogen-Free, Low-Cost Atomic Magnetometer Array for MagnetoencephalographyPeter Schwindt; Fiscal Year: 2013..the use o superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) magnetic sensors that must be cooled with liquid helium. The cryogenic infrastructure results in a bulky MEG system that requires installation of a large magnetically ..
- POINT-OF-CARE BREATH TEST FOR DISEASESMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2010..capital cost of instrumentation, compared to laboratory assays 7 Safe - the RDS instrument employs non-inflammable helium carrier gas A new application of the RDS- Detection of breast cancer: In a pilot study, a laboratory-based breath ..
- Contribution of blast wave components to mild traumatic brain injuryDEXTER VINCENT RENEER; Fiscal Year: 2012..we developed and characterized the McMillan Blast Device (MBD), a shock tube that can utilize compressed gas (air, helium) or chemical explosives (RDX, oxyhydrogen) as the shockwave source...
- Atomic resolution protein structures from electron diffraction of oriented ionsWei Kong; Fiscal Year: 2013..by mass spectrometry, b) to quickly chill these macromolecules to near absolute zero temperature with superfluidic helium droplets, c) to controllably orient several thousand chilled macromolecules to within ~1[unreadable] for 50 [..
- Accelerate improvements in MgB2 superconductor wire for new cryogen-free low costMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2010..5T and 3.0T MRI systems have been increasing due to a dramatic increase in helium cost, and there is a critical need to avoid further increases...
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2005The goal of this proposal is to develop and evaluate hyperpolarized helium-3 diffusion magnetic resonance imaging (He-3 dMRI) and low dose quantitative computed tomography (LD-QCT) indexes of emphysema as noninvasive biomarkers for the ..
- Siemens Magnetom Verio MRI ScannerWilliam M Brooks; Fiscal Year: 2010..The Siemens Verio scanner is designed to be environmentally low impact: low energy consumption, zero helium boil-off technology, and reduced product mass and plastic parts labeled for recycling so that most materials can ..
- 600 MHz nuclear magnetic resonance spectrometer consoleDavid M LeMaster; Fiscal Year: 2010..assume costs associated with the annual service contract for the NMR facility, and the purchase of the liquid helium and liquid nitrogen required for the operation of the superconducting magnets...
- Plasma synthesized doped boron nanopowder for magnesium diboride superconductorsJAMES V MARZIK; Fiscal Year: 2012..Presently, commercial MRI magnets require liquid helium (LHe);however, the world's helium supply is decreasing and the price is increasing...
- A Freeze-Fracture & Etching System for Northwestern UnivMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In combination with the different methods of freeaing that will be available (a Med-Vac helium slam freezer and a Leica CPC Universal cryoworkstation), this will provide a versatile facility for ..
- High Field DNP in Biological SystemsROBERT GUY GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This effort will include developing: (1) low temperature, quadruple resonance MAS probes, (2) helium cooling for low temperature MAS experiments, and (3) implementing tunable gyrotrons. 1...
- Very-short-time diffusion MRI of hyperpolarized gasesG Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..The non- radioactive noble-gas isotopes helium-3 (3He) and xenon-129 (129Xe) were introduced in the mid-1990s as inhaled contrast agents for MRI, and have since ..
- A 1.5-T superconducting solenoid-dipole magnet for a magic-angle spinning fieldYUKIKAZU NA IWASA; Fiscal Year: 2013..Instead of operated in a bath of liquid helium (LHe), the magnet will be immersed in solid nitrogen (SN2)...
- DETERMINANTS OF REGIONAL LUNG EXPANSION AND PERFUSIONEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 1993..detailed mapping of regional lung expansion and respiratory system geometry, we will also perform simultaneous helium bolus and nitrogen single breath washout tests...
- A Compact Soft X-Ray Microbeam Facility for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2009..source, the photon energy will be raised to the 1 KeV to 3 KeV range by exploiting optical transitions in helium-like systems such as neon 8+ and argon 16+...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recent technological advances make possible replacement of each of these low-Tc elements, cooled by liquid helium, with components able to function when cooled by liquid nitrogen...
- Closed-Loop MAS-DNP-NMR at 30 K for Affordable Dramatic Gains in S/NFRANCIS DAVID DOTY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Preliminary experiments at ~30 K (that consumed liquid helium at the rate of up to 250 L/day) have shown the potential for the use of low-power solid-state mmw sources and much ..
- Imaging Regional Physiological and Structural Parameters of Airway RemodelingKiarash Emami; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will utilize hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI technology to refine the apparatus and noninvasive technique for measuring lung ventilation, oxygenation and ..
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The effect of pneumoperitoneum with CO2, helium, or air on the inflammatory response after sepsis (cecal ligation and puncture) will be compared...
- High-speed cell sorterRonald Veazey; Fiscal Year: 2002..this application is to obtain a Becton Dickinson FACS Vantage SE flow cytometer equipped with an Enterprise II and Helium/Neon laser, and the high speed Turbosort option, for use by Researchers at, and in proximity to, the Tulane ..
- Development of Hyperpolarized Helium for Assessing ILDMilton Rossman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Hyperpolarized (HP) helium MRI with its ability to assess structure and function in a non-invasive manner while giving regional information ..
- MgB2 0.5-T/800-mm Whole-Body MRI Magnet: Phase IYUKIKAZU NA IWASA; Fiscal Year: 2011..original project and to be reconfirmed by the Phase I system, the magnet can operate continuously without liquid helium. Significance of the program is further advancement in the following design/operation issues for HTS magnets: 1) ..
- LASER SCANNING CONFOCAL MICROSCOPERobert Lechleider; Fiscal Year: 2003..The three lasers requested, argon, red Helium-Neon and green Helium-Neon, will provide excitatory signals for most applications, with the expansion with ..
- Acquisition of FACSVantage SE Flow CytometerYair Gazitt; Fiscal Year: 2004..5 to 356nm; and a Helium Neon laser with a far red (633nm) excitation...
- CONTRACTILE PERFORMANCE OF HYPERTROPHIED CARDIOCYTESDouglas Mann; Fiscal Year: 1991..The advent of the helium-neon laser has made it possible to measure sarcomere shortening in isolated cardiocytes, and therefore to study ..
- A HELIUM-3 HYPERPOLARIZER FOR ENHANCED LUNG MRIJAMES DANIELS; Fiscal Year: 2001..Our proposed device may eventually be perferred over delivery from a central facility. Estimated initial US sales on the order of $30,000,000 with estimated world wide sales topping $300,000,000. ..
- Harvard/MIT Center for Magnetic ResonanceROBERT GUY GRIFFIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will entail construction of a 395 GHz gyrotron oscillator for the DNP experiments;(5) a helium recirculation system for MAS experiments in the 20-30 K regime;(6) a tunable 330 GHz gyrotron oscillator that will ..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..assessed by distributions of opening or closing pressures from the PV curve, NO uptake kinetics, oxygenation, and helium dilution lung volume...
- LASER ANGIOPLASTY GUIDANCE BY FIBEROPTIC FLUORIMETRYLawrence Deckelbaum; Fiscal Year: 1990..fluorimetry of normal and atherosclerotic human cadaveric aorta, iliofemoral and coronary arteries using a helium cadmium laser (wavelength 325 nm) for fluorescence induction, and a microcomputer based optical multichannel ..
- NEW APPROACHES TO FLOW SORTING OF CHROMOSOMESHoward Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 1991..The performance of an instrument using air-cooled ultraviolet (UV) and blue helium-cadmium (He-Cd) laser light sources in flow cytometry of chromosomes stained with DAPl/olivomycin or Hoechst 33258/..
- Computer Aided Diagnosis of Lung CancerHeang Ping Chan; Fiscal Year: 2006..region-specific computer vision method for detection of lung nodules; (2) eliminating the vascular tree in the helium for false positive reduction, (3) exploring interval change analysis for classification of malignant and benign ..
- LEICA TCS SP SPECTRAL CONFOCAL MICROSCOPERAYMOND HESTER; Fiscal Year: 2000..Illumination will be provided by 3 lasers: argon, argon/krypton and helium/neon...
- BIOCARS A SYNCHROTRON STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY RESOURCEJohn Moffat; Fiscal Year: 2001..degradation of their properties; storage phosphor and other detectors; sample handling devices such as liquid helium cryostats and thin film crystal mounts; software for efficient, user-friendly data acquisition, reduction and ..
- Proteomics of Morphine Responses of the Basal GangliaJames Eberwine; Fiscal Year: 2005..modalities: Positive Emission Tomography (PET), High Resolution Computer Tomography (HRCT), and Hyperpolarized Helium Magnetic Resonance Imaging (Hyp 3/He MRI)...
- SYNTHESIS AND APPLICATIONS OF FLUORESCENT PROBESRichard Haugland; Fiscal Year: 1990..REACTIVE LONG-WAVELENGTH FLUOROPHORES. Research will be on reactive dyes that can be excited by the helium-neon laser or light emitting diodes Products derived from this research will be used to support several ..
- Production, validation, and commercialization of MagniLium (hyperpolarized 3He)David Watt; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Helium-3 gas can be magnetized using lasers, and once breathed into the body can report detailed spatial information in ..
- ELECTRON PARAMAGNETIC RESONANCE SPECTROMETERKurt Warncke; Fiscal Year: 2003..Also requested are cryostats for operation at liquid helium and nitrogen temperature, to adjust to the different relaxation properties of the paramagnets, and a goniometer ..
- GAS PHASE DIFFUSION LIMITATIONS IN THE LUNGGILBERT BERDINE; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ethane and helium washout from excised dog lungs will be compared to obtain direct evidence supporting or rejecting the augmented ..
- FACSTAR-PLUS DUAL LASER FLOW CYTOMETERMark Greene; Fiscal Year: 1993..The combination argon-ion and helium-neon (HeNe) laser system will provide us with the most cost- effective flexibility in analytical flow cytometry ..
- MECHANISM OF ALTERATION OF ALLOGRAFT ANTIGENICITYHans Sollinger; Fiscal Year: 1993..and Flow cytometry in vitro with the LCL and in vivo in a thyroid allograft system by substituting nitrogen or helium for oxygen...
- Room Temp Susceptometry For Hepatic Iron MeasurementKris Kowdley; Fiscal Year: 2006..98) with those from an existing "SQUID" susceptometer based on superconducting sensors cooled by liquid helium, although there was no direct comparison with biochemical iron concentrations from tissue samples...
- An Electron Microscope for the study of Complex Biological AssembliesMICHAEL ROSSMANN; Fiscal Year: 2006..purchase a state-of-the-art 300 kV field emission gun instrument with a stage able to maintain specimens at liquid helium temperatures. Such an instrument would allow us to push reconstructions in some favorable cases to 5 A or better...
- A Device for Measuring Gas PolarizationJAMES DANIELS; Fiscal Year: 2006This project is to develop an instrument to measure the polarization of a hyperpolarized noble gas, Helium- 3 and Xenon-129, for enhanced lung MRIs in a clinical environment...
- Biomarker Quantitation by NP-MS Tissue Imaging.JOHN ALBERT SCHULTZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..of the NP matrices by advance materials analysis techniques such as the subnanometer resolution Zeiss Orion Helium Ion Microscope...
- Polarized Xenon Production: Compact Magnetic FieldJan Distelbrink; Fiscal Year: 2006Hyperpolarized gases, both xenon-129 and helium-3, have demonstrated their utility in structural and functional lung imaging and quantifying lung disease. In contrast to helium-3, however, xenon is cheap and abundant...
- Targeting COX-2 Expressing Myofibroblasts in Colorectal Cancer (CRC)DON WATSON POWELL; Fiscal Year: 2010..We hypothesize that CMF-derived PGE2 regulates Wnt/f3-catenin/TCF signaling within the malignant epit helium by regulating the stability, nuclear translocation and transcriptional activity of /3- catenin.
- CONFOCAL SCANNING MICROSCOPE SYSTEMWILLIAM ELDRED; Fiscal Year: 1999..The lasers we are requesting (a dual-line argon ion and a green helium neon laser) provide three well-spaced excitation wavelengths for the broad range of fluorochromes needed for ..