Summary: Helium. A noble gas with the atomic symbol He, atomic number 2, and atomic weight 4.003. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is not combustible and does not support combustion. It was first detected in the sun and is now obtained from natural gas. Medically it is used as a diluent for other gases, being especially useful with oxygen in the treatment of certain cases of respiratory obstruction, and as a vehicle for general anesthetics. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications323 found, 100 shown here
- Helium-oxygen ventilation in the presence of expiratory flow-limitation: a model studyChiara Brighenti
Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informatica e Sistemistica, Universita di Bologna, 47023 Cesena, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 157:326-34. 2007A comparison between air and heliox (80% helium-20% oxygen) ventilation was performed using a mathematical, non-linear dynamic, morphometric model of the respiratory system...
- MRI of the lungs using hyperpolarized noble gasesHARALD E MOLLER
Max Planck Institut für neuropsychologische Forschung, Leipzig, Germany
Magn Reson Med 47:1029-51. 2002..It presents recent progress in HP gas MRI and applications ranging from MR microscopy of airspaces to imaging pulmonary function in patients and suggests potential directions for future developments...
- Effect of heliox on lung dynamic hyperinflation, dyspnea, and exercise endurance capacity in COPD patientsPaolo Palange
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica, Servizio di Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, Universita La Sapienza, v le Universita 37, 00185 Rome, Italy
J Appl Physiol (1985) 97:1637-42. 2004..71; P < 0.01). In chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, heliox breathing improves high-intensity exercise endurance capacity by increasing maximal ventilatory capacity and by reducing lung DH and Dys...
- Imaging the lungs in asthmatic patients by using hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance: assessment of response to methacholine and exercise challengeSaba Samee
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908 1355, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 111:1205-11. 2003..Hyperpolarized helium-3 (HHe3) provides a new technique for magnetic resonance imaging of lung diseases.
- Heliox improves oxygen delivery and utilization during dynamic exercise in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGaspar R Chiappa
Pulmonary Function and Clinical Exercise Physiology Unit SEFICE, Division of Respiratory Diseases, Department of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo UNIFESP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 179:1004-10. 2009..It remains to be determined whether part of these beneficial effects could be ascribed to increased O(2) delivery (O(2)DEL) to locomotor muscles...
- Sterilization of bacteria, yeast, and bacterial endospores by atmospheric-pressure cold plasma using helium and oxygenKyenam Lee
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul Women s University, Seoul 139 774, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 44:269-75. 2006Atmospheric-pressure cold plasma (APCP) using helium/oxygen was developed and tested as a suitable sterilization method in a clinical environment...
- The variability of regional airflow obstruction within the lungs of patients with asthma: assessment with hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance imagingEduard E de Lange
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Allergy Clin Immunol 119:1072-8. 2007..With hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance (H(3)HeMR) imaging, the airspaces are depicted and focal areas of airflow obstruction are ..
- Use of helium-oxygen mixtures in the treatment of acute asthma: a systematic reviewGustavo J Rodrigo
Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas, Montevideo, Uruguay
Chest 123:891-6. 2003..To determine the effect of the addition of heliox to standard medical care on the course of acute asthma...
- Evaluation of emphysema severity and progression in a rabbit model: comparison of hyperpolarized 3He and 129Xe diffusion MRI with lung morphometryJaime F Mata
Dept of Radiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Appl Physiol 102:1273-80. 2007..62-0.80, P < 0.001) with mean chord lengths from histology. These results further support the ability of diffusion-weighted MRI with hyperpolarized gases to detect regional and global structural changes of emphysema within the lung...
- Effect of heliox breathing on dynamic hyperinflation in COPD patientsMatteo Pecchiari
Istituto di Fisiologia Umana I, Universita di Milano, Milan, Italy
Chest 125:2075-82. 2004..b>Helium-oxygen mixtures (ie, heliox) have been used in treating these patients on the assumption that, by lowering airway ..
- Helium-hyperoxia, exercise, and respiratory mechanics in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseNeil D Eves
Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 1N4
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:763-71. 2006Hyperoxia and normoxic helium independently reduce dynamic hyperinflation and improve the exercise tolerance of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- The neuroprotective effects of xenon and helium in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injuryMark Coburn
Biophysics Section, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Crit Care Med 36:588-95. 2008..The "inert" gas xenon has been shown to be an effective neuroprotectant in a variety of in vitro and in vivo models of neuronal injury. We examined its neuroprotective properties in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injury...
- Post-ischemic helium provides neuroprotection in rats subjected to middle cerebral artery occlusion-induced ischemia by producing hypothermiaHelene N David
NNOXe Pharmaceuticals, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1159-65. 2009..Interestingly, recent findings have shown that helium, which is a cost-efficient inert gas with no anesthetic properties, can provide neuroprotection against acute ..
- Tooth bleaching with nonthermal atmospheric pressure plasmaHyun Woo Lee
Department of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang
J Endod 35:587-91. 2009We demonstrated that room temperature plasma could be used for tooth bleaching. A nonthermal, atmospheric pressure, helium plasma jet device was developed to enhance the tooth bleaching effect of hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2))...
- The difference in ventilation heterogeneity between asthmatic and healthy subjects quantified using hyperpolarized 3He MRIYang Sheng Tzeng
Department of Radiology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 01655, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 106:813-22. 2009..Once ventilation heterogeneity is established, it is the lack of reversal following DIs that distinguishes asthmatics from non-asthmatics...
- Formation and properties of metal clusters isolated in helium dropletsJosef Tiggesbäumker
Institut fur Physik, Universitat Rostock, 18051, Rostock, Germany
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:4748-70. 2007The unique conditions forming atomic and molecular complexes and clusters using superfluid helium nanodroplets have opened up an innovative route for studying the physical and chemical properties of matter on the nanoscale...
- Pulmonary ventilation and perfusion scanning using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI and arterial spin tagging in healthy normal subjects and in pulmonary embolism and orthotopic lung transplant patientsDavid A Lipson
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Magn Reson Med 47:1073-6. 2002..The acquisition of pulmonary V/Q images using MRI overcomes these difficulties. When inhaled, hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) permits MRI of gas distribution...
- Psychophysiological reactions in humans during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixtureJ H Abraini
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Intégrée et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Marseille, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 76:1113-8. 1994..investigated for neurological and psychosensorimotor responses during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixture containing 49% hydrogen...
- Phase-contrast MRI and CFD modeling of apparent ³He gas flow in rat pulmonary airwaysKevin R Minard
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, P O Box 999, Richland, WA 99352, USA
J Magn Reson 221:129-38. 2012..Higher-fidelity testing of pulmonary airflow predictions should therefore be possible with future imaging improvements...
- Early emphysematous changes in asymptomatic smokers: detection with 3He MR imagingSean B Fain
Department of Radiology, University of Wisconsin, J3 110 CSC Medical Physics, 600 Highland Ave, Madison, WI 53792, USA
Radiology 239:875-83. 2006..compare apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) measurements derived from diffusion-weighted hyperpolarized helium 3 (3He) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging with functional and structural findings using spirometric tests and thin-..
- Heliox-driven albuterol nebulization for asthma exacerbations: an overviewIn K Kim
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Kosair Children s Hospital, University of Louisville, 571 S Floyd Street, Suite 300, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Respir Care 51:613-8. 2006Our understanding of albuterol nebulization driven by helium-oxygen mixture (heliox) has matured with recent advances in clinical therapy, delivery systems, and understanding of dosing; this has led to substantial improvements in delivery ..
- Heliox and noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation: a role for heliox in exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?Dean R Hess
Department of Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Respir Care 51:640-50. 2006..Examining the physics of gas flow, a case can be made either for or against the use of helium-oxygen mixture (heliox) in the care of patients with COPD...
- Evaluation of asthma with hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI: correlation with clinical severity and spirometryEduard E de Lange
University of Virginia Health Sciences System, Department of Radiology, HSC 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Chest 130:1055-62. 2006Accurate characterization of asthma severity is difficult due to the variability of symptoms. Hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI (H(3)HeMR) is a new technique in which the airspaces are visualized, depicting regions with airflow obstruction as "..
- Combined helium-3/proton magnetic resonance imaging measurement of ventilated lung volumes in smokers compared to never-smokersNeil Woodhouse
Unit Academic of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:365-9. 2005To use a combination of helium-3 (3-He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and proton single-shot fast spin echo (SSFSE) to compare ventilated lung volumes in groups of "healthy" smokers, smokers diagnosed with moderate chronic obstructive ..
- Imaging techniques for small animal models of pulmonary disease: MR microscopyBastiaan Driehuys
Center for In Vivo Microscopy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Toxicol Pathol 35:49-58. 2007..A major advantage of MR is direct imaging of the gas spaces of the lung using breathable gases such as helium and xenon. When polarized, these gases become rich MR signal sources...
- Heliox attenuates lung inflammation and structural alterations in acute lung injuryUrsula S Nawab
Division of Neonatology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Pediatr Pulmonol 40:524-32. 2005..These data suggest that heliox breathing may have the combined therapeutic benefits of attenuating lung inflammation by reducing mechanical and oxidative stress in the clinical management of acute lung injury...
- Prognostic factors and recurrence of hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma after argon-helium cryoablation: a prospective studyChunping Wang
Center of Therapeutic Research for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, 100039 Beijing, China
Clin Exp Metastasis 26:839-48. 2009To determine the long-term prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) after argon-helium cryoablation and identify the risk factors that predict metastasis and recurrence...
- Demonstration of the heterogeneous distribution of asthma in the lungs using CT and hyperpolarized helium-3 MRIRavi Aysola
University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1379-87. 2010..Thus, cross sectional imaging in asthma is providing new insights into the pathophysiology of the disease and has the potential to become essential in the guidance of localized treatments...
- Inert gas washout: theoretical background and clinical utility in respiratory diseasePaul D Robinson
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Respiration 78:339-55. 2009....
- Helium-hyperoxia: a novel intervention to improve the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with COPDNeil D Eves
Faculty of Kinesiology and the Division of Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chest 135:609-18. 2009b>Helium-hyperoxia (HH) reduces dyspnea and increases exercise tolerance in patients with COPD...
- Overall and peripheral inhomogeneity of ventilation in patients with stable cystic fibrosisA Van Muylem
Department of Chest Medicine, Erasme University Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Pulmonol 30:3-9. 2000..washout consisting of 1 L inspired from functional residual capacity (FRC test) of 90% oxygen (O(2)), 5% helium (He), and 5% sulfur hexafluoride (SF(6))...
- Effect of heliox, oxygen and air breathing on helium bubbles after heliox divingO Hyldegaard
Laboratory ofHyperbaric Medicine, Department of Anaesthesia, Centre of Head and Orthopaedics, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Undersea Hyperb Med 34:107-22. 2007In helium saturated rat abdominal adipose tissue, helium bubbles were studied at 101.3 kPa during breathing of either heliox(80:20), 100% oxygen or air after decompression from an exposure to heliox at 405 kPa for one hour...
- Noble gases without anesthetic properties protect myocardium against infarction by activating prosurvival signaling kinases and inhibiting mitochondrial permeability transition in vivoPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, The Medical College of Wisconsin and the Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 105:562-9. 2007..We hypothesized that other noble gases without anesthetic properties [helium (He), neon (Ne), argon (Ar)] also produce cardioprotection, and further hypothesized that this beneficial effect ..
- Neuroprotection (and lack of neuroprotection) afforded by a series of noble gases in an in vitro model of neuronal injuryNoorulhuda Jawad
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
Neurosci Lett 460:232-6. 2009..In this study, the neuroprotective properties of the other noble gases, namely, krypton, argon, neon and helium, were explored in an in vitro model of neuronal injury...
- A multicenter, randomized trial of noninvasive ventilation with helium-oxygen mixture in exacerbations of chronic obstructive lung diseaseSalvatore Maurizio Maggiore
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Agostino Gemelli University Hospital, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Crit Care Med 38:145-51. 2010To assess the effect of a helium-oxygen mixture on intubation rate and clinical outcomes during noninvasive ventilation in acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- MR-compatible ventilator for small animals: computer-controlled ventilation for proton and noble gas imagingL W Hedlund
Center for In Vivo Microscopy, Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Magn Reson Imaging 18:753-9. 2000..This ventilator has been used in a wide variety of MR and x-ray microscopy studies of small animals, especially for MR imaging the lungs with hyperpolarized gases ((3)He & (129)Xe)...
- Respiratory controversies in the critical care setting. Should heliox be used for mechanically ventilated patients?William E Hurford
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0531, USA
Respir Care 52:582-91; discussion 591-4. 2007b>Helium is an inert gas with a very low density (0.18 g/L), which allows it to pass through narrowed passages with less turbulence than nitrogen or oxygen...
- Changes in regional airflow obstruction over time in the lungs of patients with asthma: evaluation with 3He MR imagingEduard E de Lange
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 250:567-75. 2009..regional airflow obstruction over time in the lungs of patients with asthma, as demonstrated with hyperpolarized helium 3 ((3)He) magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, and to assess correlations with disease severity and use of asthma ..
- Quantitative measurement of regional lung ventilation using 3He MRIAnselm J Deninger
Amersham Health R and D, Medeon, SE 205 12 Malmö, Sweden
Magn Reson Med 48:223-32. 2002A new strategy for a quantitative measurement of regional pulmonary ventilation using hyperpolarized helium-3 (3He) MRI has been developed. The method employs the build-up of the signal intensity after a variable number of (3)He breaths...
- Helium-oxygen versus air-oxygen noninvasive pressure support in decompensated chronic obstructive disease: A prospective, multicenter studyPhilippe Jolliet
Medical Intensive Care Division, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 31:878-84. 2003To study whether noninvasive pressure support ventilation (NIPSV) with helium/oxygen (He/oxygen), which can reduce dyspnea, PaCO2, and work of breathing more than NIPSV with air/oxygen in decompensated chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- The mechanism of helium-induced preconditioning: a direct role for nitric oxide in rabbitsPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Anesthesia Service, 5000 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 107:762-8. 2008b>Helium produces preconditioning against myocardial infarction by activating prosurvival signaling, but whether nitric oxide (NO) generated by endothelial NO synthase plays a role in this phenomenon is unknown...
- Helium-neon laser irradiation stimulates cell proliferation through photostimulatory effects in mitochondriaWan Ping Hu
Faculty of Biotechnology and Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 127:2048-57. 2007..Recent evidence indicates that cellular proliferation could be triggered by the interaction of a helium-neon laser (He-Ne laser, 632.8 nm) with the mitochondrial photoacceptor-cytochrome c oxidase...
- Heliox and oxygen reduce infarct volume in a rat model of focal ischemiaYi Pan
Department of Neurology, Saint Louis University Hospital, 3635 Vista Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 205:587-90. 2007..rats breathed 30% oxygen and 70% nitrogen (control group), 100% oxygen (hyperoxia group), or 30% oxygen and 70% helium (heliox group) during a middle cerebral artery occlusion for 2 h and a 1-hour reperfusion (n=6 in each group)...
- Peripheral airway involvement in asthma assessed by single-breath SF6 and He washoutP M Gustafsson
Dept of Paediatrics, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Eur Respir J 21:1033-9. 2003..Peripheral airway function was measured using a single-breath sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and helium (He) washout test and overall airway function by forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) at rest, after CACh ..
- Gas diffusion in a pulmonary acinus model: experiments with hyperpolarized helium-3Dayane Habib
U2R2M UMR8081 University Paris Sud CNRS, Batiment 220, 91405 Orsay Cedex, France
Magn Reson Imaging 26:1101-13. 2008Diffusion of hyperpolarized helium-3 in epoxy phantoms was experimentally studied by pulsed-gradient nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR)...
- Bench and mathematical modeling of the effects of breathing a helium/oxygen mixture on expiratory time constants in the presence of heterogeneous airway obstructionsAndrew R Martin
Medical Gases, American Air Liquide, Delaware Research and Technology Center DRTC, 200 GBC Drive, Newark, DE 19702, USA
Biomed Eng Online 11:27. 2012..Breathing low-density helium/oxygen mixtures may modify regional time constants so as to redistribute ventilation, potentially reducing gas ..
- Optical pumping system design for large production of hyperpolarizedI C Ruset
Department of Physics, University of New Hampshire, Durham, New Hampshire 03824, USA
Phys Rev Lett 96:053002. 2006..3 l/h Xe flow rate, and maximum magnetization output of 6 l/h at 22% polarization. Our findings regarding the polarization dependence on temperature, nitrogen partial pressure, and gas mixture flow velocity are also reported...
- Merging parametric active contours within homogeneous image regions for MRI-based lung segmentationNilanjan Ray
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 22:189-99. 2003Inhaled hyperpolarized helium-3 (3He) gas is a new magnetic resonance (MR) contrast agent that is being used to study lung functionality...
- Helium:oxygen versus air:oxygen noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation in patients exposed to sulfur mustardMostafa Ghanei
Research Center of Chemical Injuries, Baqiyatallah Medical Science University, Tehran, Iran
Heart Lung 40:e84-9. 2011..This study assessed the effectiveness of noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation, adjunct with 79:21 helium:oxygen instead of 79:21 air:oxygen, in 24 patients with a previous exposure to SM presenting with acute ..
- Hyperpolarized 3He magnetic resonance functional imaging semiautomated segmentationMiranda Kirby
Imaging Research Laboratories, Robarts Research Institute, London, Canada
Acad Radiol 19:141-52. 2012..MRI) for multicenter, multiobserver studies, we generated a semiautomated segmentation method for hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) MRI...
- Whole-cell imaging at nanometer resolutions using fast and slow focused helium ionsXiao Chen
Centre for Ion Beam Applications, Department of Physics, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Biophys J 101:1788-93. 2011..Microscopy using helium ions can play a major role in both surface and subcellular imaging because it can provide subnanometer resolutions ..
- Contrasting pressure-support ventilation and helium-oxygen during exercise in severe COPDOmar Hussain
Edward Hines, Jr Veterans Affairs Hospital, 111N, 5th Avenue and Roosevelt Road, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Respir Med 105:494-505. 2011b>Helium-oxygen mixtures and pressure-support ventilation have been used to unload the respiratory muscles and increase exercise tolerance in COPD...
- Delivery of helium–oxygen mixture during spontaneous breathing: evaluation of three high-concentration face masksFerran Roche-Campo
Medical Intensive Care Unit, AP HP Groupe Hospitalier Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Intensive Care Med 37:1787-92. 2011To evaluate the efficacy of delivering a mixture of helium and oxygen gas (He–O2) in spontaneous ventilation...
- Volumetry of ventilated airspaces by 3He MRI: preliminary resultsH U Kauczor
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Invest Radiol 36:110-4. 2001..To develop a validated post-processing routine for volumetry of the ventilated airspaces by 3He MRI...
- Imaging of lung function using hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetic resonance imaging: Review of current and emerging translational methods and applicationsSean Fain
Department of Medical Physics, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1398-408. 2010During the past several years there has been extensive development and application of hyperpolarized helium-3 (HP (3)He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in clinical respiratory indications such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary ..
- Hyperpolarized 3helium magnetic resonance ventilation imaging of the lung in cystic fibrosis: comparison with high resolution CT and spirometryColm J McMahon
Department of Radiology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Radiol 16:2483-90. 2006..01, respectively) than HRCT (R = +/-0.72 and +/-0.81, p < 0.05, respectively). This study showed that 3He MRI correlates strongly with structural HRCT abnormalities and is a stronger correlate of spirometry than HRCT in CF...
- Heliox delivery with noninvasive positive pressure ventilation: a laboratory studyS Chatmongkolchart
Department of Respiratory Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, 55 Fruit Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Respir Care 46:248-54. 2001BACKGROUND: There is clinical interest in the use of heliox (helium-oxygen mixture) during noninvasive positive pressure ventilation (NPPV), but delivery of heliox with ventilators designed for NPPV has not been reported...
- ³He lung morphometry technique: accuracy analysis and pulse sequence optimizationA L Sukstanskii
Department of Radiology, Washington University, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Magn Reson 207:234-41. 2010..It is demonstrated that the optimal choice represents three not equidistant b-values: b(1)=0, b(2)∼2 s/cm(2), b(3)∼8 s/cm(2)...
- Heliox inhalation therapy for bronchiolitis in infantsJean Michel Liet
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, , CHU de Nantes, 38 Boulevard Jean Monnet, , Nantes, France, 44093
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD006915. 2010..Heliox, a mixture of oxygen and the inert gas helium, may improve gas flow through high-resistance airways and decrease the work of breathing...
- Helium-3 diffusion MR imaging of the human lung over multiple time scalesJohn P Mugler
Center for In vivo Hyperpolarized Gas MR Imaging, Department of Radiology, Box 801339, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Acad Radiol 15:693-701. 2008....
- Development of aerosol drug delivery with helium oxygen gas mixturesT E Corcoran
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Aerosol Med 17:299-309. 2004Aerosol drug delivery using helium-oxygen gas mixtures (heliox) is considered in terms of flow physics, atomization, and aerosol mechanics...
- Energy loss of hydrogen- and helium-ion beams in DNA: calculations based on a realistic energy-loss function of the targetIsabel Abril
Departament de Fisica Aplicada, Universitat d Alacant, Alacant, Spain
Radiat Res 175:247-55. 2011..Using this procedure we have calculated the stopping power and the energy-loss straggling of DNA for hydrogen- and helium-ion beams at incident energies ranging from 10 keV/nucleon to 10 MeV/nucleon...
- Heliox therapy for pneumothorax: new indication for an old remedyJ Barr
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin, Israel
Ann Emerg Med 30:159-62. 1997To evaluate a new method of treating pneumothorax: having the subject breathe a helium/oxygen mixture (heliox).
- Helium vs carbon dioxide gas insufflation with or without saline lavage during laparoscopyC J O'Boyle
University of Adelaide, Department of Surgery, Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Surg Endosc 16:620-5. 2002b>Helium is an inert gas that, if used for insufflation during laparoscopy, may be followed by less postoperative pain than carbon dioxide (CO2) insufflation, due to a more limited effect on intraabdominal pH and metabolism...
- Emphysematous changes and normal variation in smokers and COPD patients using diffusion 3He MRIAndrew J Swift
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, Floor C, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
Eur J Radiol 54:352-8. 2005....
- Physiologic implications of helium as a carrier gas for inhaled nitric oxide in a neonatal model of Bethanecol-induced bronchoconstrictionThomas L Miller
Nemours Research Lung Center, Nemours Children s Clinic Wilmington of the Nemours Foundation, Alfred I duPont Children s Hospital, Wilmington, DE, USA
Pediatr Crit Care Med 7:159-64. 2006..We hypothesized that respiratory resistance and gas exchange would improve when iNO is delivered with heliox...
- Cs atoms on helium nanodroplets and the immersion of Cs+ into the nanodropletMoritz Theisen
Institute of Experimental Physics, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 16, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Chem Phys 135:074306. 2011We report the non-desorption of cesium (Cs) atoms on the surface of helium nanodroplets (He(N)) in their 6(2)P(1/2) ((2)Π(1/2)) state upon photo-excitation as well as the immersion of Cs(+) into the He(N) upon photo-ionization via the 6(..
- Pulmonary embolism: comprehensive evaluation with MR ventilation and perfusion scanning with hyperpolarized helium-3, arterial spin tagging, and contrast-enhanced MRATalissa A Altes
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:999-1005. 2005....
- Alkali-helium snowball complexes formed on helium nanodropletsS Muller
Physikalisches Institut, Universitat Freiburg, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Chem Phys 131:044319. 2009..the formation and stability of snowballs formed by femtosecond photoionization of small alkali clusters bound to helium nanodroplets...
- Comparison of plethysmographic and helium dilution lung volumes: which is best for COPD?Carl R O'Donnell
ScD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Dana 717, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Chest 137:1108-15. 2010..We sought to compare plethysmography (Pleth)-, helium dilution (He)- and CT scan-derived lung volume measurements in a sample containing many patients with severe ..
- Initial yields of DNA double-strand breaks and DNA Fragmentation patterns depend on linear energy transfer in tobacco BY-2 protoplasts irradiated with helium, carbon and neon ionsYuichiro Yokota
Gene Resource Research Group, Quantum Beam Science Directorate, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Takasaki, Gunma 370 1292, Japan
Radiat Res 167:94-101. 2007..Tobacco BY-2 protoplasts, as a model of single plant cells, were irradiated with helium, carbon and neon ions having different LETs and with gamma rays...
- Effects of helium/oxygen and temperature on aerobic metabolism in the marsupial sugar glider, Petaurus brevicepsJ C Holloway
Department of Zoology, School of Biological Sciences, University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales 2351, Australia
Physiol Biochem Zool 74:219-25. 2001Helox (79% helium and 21% oxygen) has often been used for thermobiological studies, primarily because helium is thought to be metabolically inert and to produce no adverse effects other than increasing heat loss...
- Recent trends in suicides utilizing heliumAmy Austin
Discipline of Anatomy and Pathology, Level 3 Medical School North Building, The University of Adelaide, Frome Road and Forensic Science SA, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
J Forensic Sci 56:649-51. 2011Retrospective review of cases of suicide involving helium inhalation was undertaken at Forensic Science South Australia over a 25-year period from 1985 to 2009...
- Microleakage of gold casting repairs with different materials as quantified by a helium gas systemB Briseno Marroquin
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Oper Dent 20:197-203. 1995..Tetric, Charisma, and Polofil Molar), and one glass-ionomer cement (Ketac Silver) and gold cast crowns using a helium gas microleakage method...
- Measurement of lung airways in three dimensions using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRIEric T Peterson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Phys Med Biol 56:3107-22. 2011..radiation from CT, we present a method for measuring the large airway diameter in humans using hyperpolarized helium-3 (HPHe) MRI in conjunction with a dynamic 3D radial acquisition...
- Peritoneal and systemic pH during pneumoperitoneum with CO2 and helium in a pig modelMaria Bergström
Deptartment of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Surg Endosc 22:359-64. 2008..The most commonly used gas, CO(2), is known to be well tolerated, but also causes changes in acid-base balance. Helium is an alternative gas for laparoscopy. Although safe, it is not widely used...
- Cellular effects of helium in different organsGezina T M L Oei
Department of Anesthesiology, Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 112:1503-10. 2010..in cardiac and neuronal tissue has shown that besides volatile anesthetics and xenon, the nonanesthetic noble gas helium also reduces ischemia-reperfusion damage...
- Microdialysis study of striatal dopaminergic dysfunctions induced by 3 MPa of nitrogen- and helium-oxygen breathing mixtures in freely moving ratsDavid Dedieu
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Action Thérapeutique des gaz sous pression, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Université de la Méditerranée et IMNSSA, E A 3280, IFR Jean Roche, 13916 Marseilles cedex 20, France
Brain Res 998:202-7. 2004Previous studies have demonstrated opposite effects of high-pressure helium and nitrogen on extracellular dopamine (DA) levels, which may reflect disturbances on the synthesis, release or metabolic mechanisms...
- Low-energy helium-neon laser induces locomotion of the immature melanoblasts and promotes melanogenesis of the more differentiated melanoblasts: recapitulation of vitiligo repigmentation in vitroCheng Che E Lan
Department of Dermatology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, ROC
J Invest Dermatol 126:2119-26. 2006b>Helium-neon laser (He-Ne Laser, 632.8 nm) is a low-energy laser that has therapeutic efficacy on various clinical conditions...
- Hypoxaemia induced by CO(2) or helium pneumoperitoneum is a co-factor in adhesion formation in rabbitsC R Molinas
Centre for Surgical Technologies, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Hum Reprod 15:1758-63. 2000..Pure CO(2) or helium pneumoperitoneum was used for 10 (groups I and IV) or 45 min (groups II and V) to confirm the effect of duration ..
- The effects of helium-hyperoxia on 6-min walking distance in COPD: a randomized, controlled trialDarcy D Marciniuk
Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, SK, Canada
Chest 131:1659-65. 2007We hypothesized that breathing helium-hyperoxia (HeO2) would significantly improve 6-min walking test (6MWT) distance in COPD subjects.
- Helium and sulfur hexafluoride bolus washin in short-term microgravityB Dutrieue
Biomedical Physics Laboratory, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
J Appl Physiol (1985) 86:1594-602. 1999..These results help explain previous studies in microG, which show large changes in gas mixing in vital capacity maneuvers but only small effects in tidal volume breaths...
- A helium burst biolistic device adapted to penetrate fragile insect tissuesJ L Thomas
Unité Nationale Séricicole, INRA, 25 quai J J Rousseau, 69350 La Mulatière, France
J Insect Sci 1:9. 2001..The original floppy macrocarrier was replaced by a rigid macrocarrier to avoid the effects of the helium blast. The efficiency of the gene gun bombardment was reinforced by the addition of a focusing nozzle...
- Assessment of the usefulness of helium-oxygen maximal expiratory flow curves in epidemiologic studies of lung disease in childrenS Redline
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115
Am Rev Respir Dis 136:834-40. 1987..at 50 and 25% of vital capacity (DD50 and DD25) (the ratios between maximal expiratory flow rates breathing helium-oxygen and air gas mixtures at each of these lung volumes), and the volume of isoflow (VisoV) (the lung volume, ..
- Quantification of lung microstructure with hyperpolarized 3He diffusion MRIDmitriy A Yablonskiy
Mallinckrodt Inst of Radiology, 4525 Scott Ave, Rm 2302, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 107:1258-65. 2009....
- The Effects of helium/oxygen mixture (heliox) before and after extubation in long-term mechanically ventilated very low birth weight infantsClaudio Migliori
Department of Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care, Spedali Civili Hospital, P le Spedali Civili, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Pediatrics 123:1524-8. 2009Our goal was to evaluate the effects of a helium/oxygen mixture (heliox) on pulmonary mechanics and gas exchange in preterm infants during both conventional and noninvasive ventilation.
- Morphine reduces the threshold of helium preconditioning against myocardial infarction: the role of opioid receptors in rabbitsPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:619-24. 2009Brief, repetitive administration of helium before prolonged coronary artery occlusion and reperfusion protects myocardium against infarction...
- Argon-helium cryosurgery for treatment of C6 gliomas in rats and its effect on cellular immunityMing Li
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neuroscience of Guangdong Province, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
Technol Cancer Res Treat 9:87-94. 2010Argon-helium cryosurgery has shown encouraging therapeutic effects on some solid tumors, but its application in the treatment of gliomas remains poorly documented...
- Reactive oxygen species and mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium channels mediate helium-induced preconditioning against myocardial infarction in vivoPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22:554-9. 2008b>Helium produces preconditioning by activating prosurvival kinases, but the roles of reactive oxygen species (ROS) or mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium (K(ATP)) channels in this process are unknown...
- The utility of albuterol nebulized with heliox during acute asthma exacerbationsJohn P Kress
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:1317-21. 2002..This is likely due to the low-density gas improving albuterol deposition in the distal airways...
- Pulmonary gas exchange in anaesthetised horses mechanically ventilated with oxygen or a helium/oxygen mixtureF Staffieri
Section of Critical Care and Anesthesia, Department of Clinical Studies New Bolton Center, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Equine Vet J 41:747-52. 2009..It is unknown whether administration of gas-mixtures high in inspired fraction of oxygen (FiO2) under general anaesthesia may increase formation of pulmonary atelectasis and impair gas exchange...
- Helium breathing provides modest antiinflammatory, but no endothelial protection against ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans in vivoEliana Lucchinetti
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Anesth Analg 109:101-8. 2009The noble gas helium is devoid of anesthetic effects, and it elicits cardiac preconditioning...
- Obtaining high-resolution images of biological macromolecules by using a cryo-electron microscope with a liquid-helium cooled stageKaoru Mitsuoka
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Biomedicinal Information Research Center, 2 3 26, Aomi, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 0064, Japan
Micron 42:100-6. 2011..for high-resolution imaging in these three different methods, based on our experiences using cryo-EM with a liquid-helium cooled stage...
- High-resolution differential ion mobility separations using helium-rich gasesAlexandre A Shvartsburg
Biological Sciences Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, P O Box 999, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
Anal Chem 82:2456-62. 2010..The resolution gains extend to small molecules, where previously unresolved isomers can now be separated. These performance levels open major new applications of FAIMS in proteomic and other biomolecular analyses...
- Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase or the apoptotic protein p53 lowers the threshold of helium cardioprotection in vivo: the role of mitochondrial permeability transitionPaul S Pagel
Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Anesthesia Service, 5000 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 107:769-75. 2008..b>Helium produces cardioprotection by activating prosurvival kinases, but whether GSK and p53 inhibition mediate this ..
- Contrast mechanisms and image formation in helium ion microscopyDavid C Bell
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Center for Nanoscale Systems, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Microsc Microanal 15:147-53. 2009The helium ion microscope is a unique imaging instrument...
- Song syntax changes in Bengalese finches singing in a helium atmosphereHiroko Yamada
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, 1 33 Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
Neuroreport 14:1725-9. 2003..Eight adult male Bengalese finches were placed in a helium atmosphere, which changes the resonance of the vocal tract...
- Effect of combined recompression and air, oxygen, or heliox breathing on air bubbles in rat tissuesO Hyldegaard
The Institute of Medical Physiology, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, 2200 N Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol (1985) 90:1639-47. 2001..The clinical implication of these findings might be that heliox 50:50 is the mixture of choice for the treatment of decompression sickness...
- Comparison of nitrogen narcosis and helium pressure effects on striatal amino acids: a microdialysis study in ratsNicolas Vallee
Faculte de Medecine Nord, IFR de Neurosciences Jean Roche, Université de la Méditerranée et Institut de Médecine Navale du Service de Santé des Armées, Physiologie et Physiopathologie en Conditions d Oxygénation Extrêmes, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Neurochem Res 34:835-44. 2009..was to study the effects of nitrogen at 3 MPa on striatal amino acid levels and to compare to those of 3 MPa of helium which is not narcotic at this pressure, by using a new technique of microdialysis samples extraction under ..
- In vitro effects of helium-neon laser irradiation on human blood: blood viscosity and deformability of erythrocytesXian Qiang Mi
Department of Physics, State Key Laboratory of Applied Surface Physics, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Photomed Laser Surg 22:477-82. 2004..The purpose of this study was to investigate the in vitro effects of He-Ne laser irradiation on some rheological factors of human blood, such as blood viscosity, erythrocyte deformability, and sedimentation rate...
- Helium-neon laser irradiation stimulates migration and proliferation in melanocytes and induces repigmentation in segmental-type vitiligoHsin Su Yu
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 120:56-64. 2003Low-energy helium-neon lasers (632.8 nm) have been employed in a variety of clinical treatments including vitiligo management...
- National Biomedical EPR CenterJames Hyde; Fiscal Year: 2003..suggests that sweep of the main coil in the proposed system will lead to an unacceptable consumption of liquid helium. Arguably better options are commercially available...
- A Resource for magnetic resonance and optical imagingRavinder Reddy; Fiscal Year: 2010..A subproject emphasizes pulmonary function imaging using the noble gas helium whose properties allow imaging of air spaces in the lungs...
- High-Tc susceptometer to monitor transfusional iron overload (NSR device)Gary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2010..Low-transition-temperature (low-Tc;operating at 4[unreadable]K, cooled by liquid helium) superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) susceptometry was originally developed as a clinical method ..
- TREATMENT OF CANCER WITH HEAVY CHARGED PARTICLESJOSEPH CASTRO; Fiscal Year: 1993This program project will continue research in the use of heavy charged particles such as helium and neon ions for treatment of human cancers...
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF THE CRYSTALLINE LENSJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 2002..e spherical aberration) of the experimental animal lenses will be assessed by analysis with a low power helium-neon laser scan unit of our own design with particular reference to lens sutures...
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF THE CRYSTALLINE LENSJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 2000..e spherical aberration) of the experimental animal lenses will be assessed by analysis with a low power helium-neon laser scan unit of our own design with particular reference to lens sutures...
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF THE CRYSTALLINE LENSJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 2001..e spherical aberration) of the experimental animal lenses will be assessed by analysis with a low power helium-neon laser scan unit of our own design with particular reference to lens sutures...
- ADVANCED ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF CRYSTALLINE LENJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 1999
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2002The goal of this proposal is to develop and evaluate hyperpolarized helium-3 diffusion magnetic resonance imaging (He-3 dMRI) and low dose quantitative computed tomography (LD-QCT) indexes of emphysema as noninvasive biomarkers for the ..
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2003The goal of this proposal is to develop and evaluate hyperpolarized helium-3 diffusion magnetic resonance imaging (He-3 dMRI) and low dose quantitative computed tomography (LD-QCT) indexes of emphysema as noninvasive biomarkers for the ..
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2004The goal of this proposal is to develop and evaluate hyperpolarized helium-3 diffusion magnetic resonance imaging (He-3 dMRI) and low dose quantitative computed tomography (LD-QCT) indexes of emphysema as noninvasive biomarkers for the ..
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2005
- MRI Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) system with low cost, highly stable magMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2010..System 1000 MRI image guided radiation therapy (IGRT) system is being threatened by the growing shortage of helium worldwide...
- MRI Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) system with low cost, highly stable magMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2011..System 1000 MRI image guided radiation therapy (IGRT) system is being threatened by the growing shortage of helium worldwide...
- Respiratory Mechanics in Lung Disease and SurgeryStephen Loring; Fiscal Year: 2002..2) To explore the differences between lung volumes measured by multiple breath helium dilution, plethysmography, and computed tomography (CT)...
- Respiratory Mechanics in Lung Disease and SurgeryStephen Loring; Fiscal Year: 2003..2) To explore the differences between lung volumes measured by multiple breath helium dilution, plethysmography, and computed tomography (CT)...
- Respiratory Mechanics in Lung Disease and SurgeryStephen Loring; Fiscal Year: 2001..2) To explore the differences between lung volumes measured by multiple breath helium dilution, plethysmography, and computed tomography (CT)...
- Respiratory Mechanics in Lung Disease and SurgeryStephen Loring; Fiscal Year: 2004
- A Freeze-Fracture & Etching System for Northwestern UnivMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In combination with the different methods of freeaing that will be available (a Med-Vac helium slam freezer and a Leica CPC Universal cryoworkstation), this will provide a versatile facility for ..
- Imaging regional physiologic parameters of lung functionRahim Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2009..ventilation, perfusion, and ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, as well as oxygen depletion rate and diffusivity of helium-3 in the lung...
- Imaging regional physiologic parameters of lung functionRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2010..ventilation, perfusion, and ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, as well as oxygen depletion rate and diffusivity of helium-3 in the lung...
- Very-short-time diffusion MRI of hyperpolarized gasesG Miller; Fiscal Year: 2009..The non- radioactive noble-gas isotopes helium-3 (3He) and xenon-129 (129Xe) were introduced in the mid-1990s as inhaled contrast agents for MRI, and have since ..
- INTERACTIONS IN VENTILATORY CONTROL DURING EXERCISEGordon Mitchell; Fiscal Year: 1991..In normal goats, repeated presentations of exercise with hypoxia, increased dead space or inspired helium/oxygen mixtures will alter normal chemoreceptor feedback during exercise for 20-30 trials on four days...
- DETERMINANTS OF REGIONAL LUNG EXPANSION AND PERFUSIONEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 1993..detailed mapping of regional lung expansion and respiratory system geometry, we will also perform simultaneous helium bolus and nitrogen single breath washout tests...
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF CRYSTALLINE LENSESJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 1992..2) A helium-neon laser scan device of the investigator's own design will be used to quantify the negative influence of lens ..
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF CRYSTALLINE LENSESJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 1993..2) A helium-neon laser scan device of the investigator's own design will be used to quantify the negative influence of lens ..
- VISION AND INTRARETINAL POTENTIALSDWIGHT BURKHARDT; Fiscal Year: 1993..Special features include the use of a superfused slice preparation of the turtle eyecup and a helium-neon laser to generate intense adapting lights...
- DETERMINANTS OF REGIONAL LUNG EXPANSION AND PERFUSIONEric Hoffman; Fiscal Year: 1990..detailed mapping of regional lung expansion and respiratory system geometry, we will also perform simultaneous helium bolus and nitrogen single breath washout tests...
- A Compact Soft X-Ray Microbeam Facility for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2007..source, the photon energy will be raised to the 1 KeV to 3 KeV range by exploiting optical transitions in helium-like systems such as neon 8+ and argon 16+...
- A Compact Soft X-Ray Microbeam Facility for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2009..source, the photon energy will be raised to the 1 KeV to 3 KeV range by exploiting optical transitions in helium-like systems such as neon 8+ and argon 16+...
- High Resolution Labels for EMJames Hainfeld; Fiscal Year: 2009..Electron microscopes have recently advanced with the advent of cryoEM, large array CCDs, helium stages, energy filters, aberration correctors, tomography, and automation...
- High Resolution Labels for EMJames F Hainfeld; Fiscal Year: 2010..Electron microscopes have recently advanced with the advent of cryoEM, large array CCDs, helium stages, energy filters, aberration correctors, tomography, and automation...
- HIGH RESOLUTION MICROSCOPYPeter Emanuel; Fiscal Year: 2007..equipped with either three or four detector channels, a transmitted light channel, and Argon ion, Krypton ion and Helium:Neon lasers, and are able to image up to three fluorophores simultaneously...
- Accelerate improvements in MgB2 superconductor wire for new cryogen-free low costMICHAEL J TOMSIC; Fiscal Year: 2010..5T and 3.0T MRI systems have been increasing due to a dramatic increase in helium cost, and there is a critical need to avoid further increases...
- STRUCTURE AND DYNAMICS OF CONNEXIN26 GAP JUNCTIONSGINA SOSINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..This involves improving specimen preparation, imaging at either liquid nitrogen or liquid helium temperature and implementation of a combined single particle/ 2D crystallographic approach to circumvent imperfect ..
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2002..Recent technological advances make possible replacement of each of these low-Tc elements, cooled by liquid helium, with components able to function when cooled by liquid nitrogen...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2003..Recent technological advances make possible replacement of each of these low-Tc elements, cooled by liquid helium, with components able to function when cooled by liquid nitrogen...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2001..Recent technological advances make possible replacement of each of these low-Tc elements, cooled by liquid helium, with components able to function when cooled by liquid nitrogen...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2004
- Crystallography without crystals: Atomic structure determination of laser orienteWei Kong; Fiscal Year: 2009..protein ions generated from an electrospray ionization source will be embedded in a pulsed stream of superfluid helium droplets...
- Crystallography without crystals: Atomic structure determination of laser orienteWei Kong; Fiscal Year: 2010..protein ions generated from an electrospray ionization source will be embedded in a pulsed stream of superfluid helium droplets...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2005
- RENAL CRYOPRESERVATIONRICHARD LILLEHEI; Fiscal Year: 1980..5 degrees C to 4 degrees C/minute. Various gaseous cooling agents including helium (anoxic model) and oxygen will be evaluated to determine effects on tissue ATP stability...
- CONTRACTILE PERFORMANCE OF HYPERTROPHIED CARDIOCYTESDouglas Mann; Fiscal Year: 1990..The advent of the helium-neon laser has made it possible to measure sarcomere shortening in isolated cardiocytes, and therefore to study ..
- Imaging Regional Physiological and Structural Parameters of Airway RemodelingKiarash Emami; Fiscal Year: 2009..We will utilize hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI technology to refine the apparatus and noninvasive technique for measuring lung ventilation, oxygenation and ..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2001..assessed by distributions of opening or closing pressures from the PV curve, NO uptake kinetics, oxygenation, and helium dilution lung volume...
- LASER ANGIOPLASTY GUIDANCE BY FIBEROPTIC FLUORIMETRYLawrence Deckelbaum; Fiscal Year: 1990..fluorimetry of normal and atherosclerotic human cadaveric aorta, iliofemoral and coronary arteries using a helium cadmium laser (wavelength 325 nm) for fluorescence induction, and a microcomputer based optical multichannel ..
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2004..assessed by distributions of opening or closing pressures from the PV curve, NO uptake kinetics, oxygenation, and helium dilution lung volume...
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..assessed by distributions of opening or closing pressures from the PV curve, NO uptake kinetics, oxygenation, and helium dilution lung volume...
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2003
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2002
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of pneumoperitoneum with CO2, helium, or air on the inflammatory response after sepsis (cecal ligation and puncture) will be compared...
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of pneumoperitoneum with CO2, helium, or air on the inflammatory response after sepsis (cecal ligation and puncture) will be compared...
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2004..The effect of pneumoperitoneum with CO2, helium, or air on the inflammatory response after sepsis (cecal ligation and puncture) will be compared...
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2005
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2002
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2003
- High-speed cell sorterRonald Veazey; Fiscal Year: 2002..this application is to obtain a Becton Dickinson FACS Vantage SE flow cytometer equipped with an Enterprise II and Helium/Neon laser, and the high speed Turbosort option, for use by Researchers at, and in proximity to, the Tulane ..
- ISOBARIC COUNTERDIFFUSION OF EXOTIC GASES IN VIVOBRIAN D AOUST; Fiscal Year: 1980The objectives of this research are to exploit the diverse physical properties of Helium, Neon, Hydrogen, Argon and Nitrogen in transient counterequilibration experiments to reveal the relative importance of diffusion, perfusion, ..
- CELL JUNCTIONS AND CELL MEMBRANES IN THE LENSWoo kuen Lo; Fiscal Year: 1990..electron microscopy using the improved fixation method developed in this laboratory; (2) rapid-freezing in liquid helium temperature without prior chemical fixation, and in conjunction with free-substitution, freeze-fracture and deep-..
- Development of Hyperpolarized Helium for Assessing ILDMilton Rossman; Fiscal Year: 2009..Hyperpolarized (HP) helium MRI with its ability to assess structure and function in a non-invasive manner while giving regional information ..
- Hermetic Nanowire Interconnects for Neural ProsthesesJames Weiland; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to these two activities, initial system test and biocompatibility assessments will be performed. Helium leak testing will be used to assess hermeticity...
- STUDIES OF CELL JUNCTIONS & CELL MEMBRANES IN THE LENSWoo kuen Lo; Fiscal Year: 1991..electron microscopy using the improved fixation method developed in this laboratory; (2) rapid-freezing in liquid helium temperature without prior chemical fixation, and in conjunction with free-substitution, freeze-fracture and deep-..
- CELL JUNCTIONS & CELL MEMBRANES IN THE LENSWoo kuen Lo; Fiscal Year: 1992..electron microscopy using the improved fixation method developed in this laboratory; (2) rapid-freezing in liquid helium temperature without prior chemical fixation, and in conjunction with free-substitution, freeze-fracture and deep-..
- STUDIES OF CELL JUNCTIONS & CELL MEMBRANES IN THE LENSWoo kuen Lo; Fiscal Year: 1993
- CORE--HIGH RESOLUTION MICROSCOPYKENT KEYSER; Fiscal Year: 2000..equipped with either three or four detector channels, a transmitted light channel, and Argon ion, Krypton ion and Helium: Neon lasers...
- Dynamic 3HE MRI of the LungsVINAY PAI; Fiscal Year: 2007..Many causes of airway dysfunction, such as asthma, may be occult to CT. MRI of helium-3 (3HeMRI) is a recently developed method of visualizing lung air spaces and airways...
- LASER SCANNING CONFOCAL MICROSCOPERobert Lechleider; Fiscal Year: 2003..The three lasers requested, argon, red Helium-Neon and green Helium-Neon, will provide excitatory signals for most applications, with the expansion with ..