Summary: Helium. A noble gas with the atomic symbol He, atomic number 2, and atomic weight 4.003. It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas that is not combustible and does not support combustion. It was first detected in the sun and is now obtained from natural gas. Medically it is used as a diluent for other gases, being especially useful with oxygen in the treatment of certain cases of respiratory obstruction, and as a vehicle for general anesthetics. (Dorland, 27th ed)
Publications286 found, 100 shown here
- The neuroprotective effects of xenon and helium in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injuryMark Coburn
Biophysics Section, Blackett Laboratory, Imperial College, South Kensington, London SW7 2AZ, UK
Crit Care Med 36:588-95. 2008..The "inert" gas xenon has been shown to be an effective neuroprotectant in a variety of in vitro and in vivo models of neuronal injury. We examined its neuroprotective properties in an in vitro model of traumatic brain injury...
- Post-ischemic helium provides neuroprotection in rats subjected to middle cerebral artery occlusion-induced ischemia by producing hypothermiaHelene N David
NNOXe Pharmaceuticals, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 29:1159-65. 2009..Interestingly, recent findings have shown that helium, which is a cost-efficient inert gas with no anesthetic properties, can provide neuroprotection against acute ..
- Inert gas washout: theoretical background and clinical utility in respiratory diseasePaul D Robinson
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Children s Hospital at Westmead, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Respiration 78:339-55. 2009....
- Demonstration of the heterogeneous distribution of asthma in the lungs using CT and hyperpolarized helium-3 MRIRavi Aysola
University of California Los Angeles Medical Center, Department of Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:1379-87. 2010..Thus, cross sectional imaging in asthma is providing new insights into the pathophysiology of the disease and has the potential to become essential in the guidance of localized treatments...
- Prognostic factors and recurrence of hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma after argon-helium cryoablation: a prospective studyChunping Wang
Center of Therapeutic Research for Hepatocellular Carcinoma, 100039 Beijing, China
Clin Exp Metastasis 26:839-48. 2009To determine the long-term prognosis of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) after argon-helium cryoablation and identify the risk factors that predict metastasis and recurrence...
- Noble gases without anesthetic properties protect myocardium against infarction by activating prosurvival signaling kinases and inhibiting mitochondrial permeability transition in vivoPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, The Medical College of Wisconsin and the Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 105:562-9. 2007..We hypothesized that other noble gases without anesthetic properties [helium (He), neon (Ne), argon (Ar)] also produce cardioprotection, and further hypothesized that this beneficial effect ..
- Overall and peripheral inhomogeneity of ventilation in patients with stable cystic fibrosisA Van Muylem
Department of Chest Medicine, Erasme University Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Pediatr Pulmonol 30:3-9. 2000..washout consisting of 1 L inspired from functional residual capacity (FRC test) of 90% oxygen (O(2)), 5% helium (He), and 5% sulfur hexafluoride (SF(6))...
- Helium-hyperoxia: a novel intervention to improve the benefits of pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with COPDNeil D Eves
Faculty of Kinesiology and the Division of Respiratory Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Chest 135:609-18. 2009b>Helium-hyperoxia (HH) reduces dyspnea and increases exercise tolerance in patients with COPD...
- Effect of heliox, oxygen and air breathing on helium bubbles after heliox divingO Hyldegaard
Laboratory ofHyperbaric Medicine, Department of Anaesthesia, Centre of Head and Orthopaedics, Rigshospitalet, Copenhagen University Hospital, Denmark
Undersea Hyperb Med 34:107-22. 2007In helium saturated rat abdominal adipose tissue, helium bubbles were studied at 101.3 kPa during breathing of either heliox(80:20), 100% oxygen or air after decompression from an exposure to heliox at 405 kPa for one hour...
- Neuroprotection (and lack of neuroprotection) afforded by a series of noble gases in an in vitro model of neuronal injuryNoorulhuda Jawad
Department of Anaesthetics, Pain Medicine and Intensive Care, Imperial College London, Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, 369 Fulham Road, London SW10 9NH, United Kingdom
Neurosci Lett 460:232-6. 2009..In this study, the neuroprotective properties of the other noble gases, namely, krypton, argon, neon and helium, were explored in an in vitro model of neuronal injury...
- Psychophysiological reactions in humans during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixtureJ H Abraini
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Intégrée et Cellulaire, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Marseille, France
J Appl Physiol 76:1113-8. 1994..investigated for neurological and psychosensorimotor responses during an open sea dive to 500 m with a hydrogen-helium-oxygen mixture containing 49% hydrogen...
- Sterilization of bacteria, yeast, and bacterial endospores by atmospheric-pressure cold plasma using helium and oxygenKyenam Lee
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Seoul Women's University, Seoul 139-774, Republic of Korea
J Microbiol 44:269-75. 2006Atmospheric-pressure cold plasma (APCP) using helium/oxygen was developed and tested as a suitable sterilization method in a clinical environment...
- Heliox and oxygen reduce infarct volume in a rat model of focal ischemiaYi Pan
Department of Neurology, Saint Louis University Hospital, 3635 Vista Ave, Saint Louis, MO 63110, USA
Exp Neurol 205:587-90. 2007..rats breathed 30% oxygen and 70% nitrogen (control group), 100% oxygen (hyperoxia group), or 30% oxygen and 70% helium (heliox group) during a middle cerebral artery occlusion for 2 h and a 1-hour reperfusion (n=6 in each group)...
- Peripheral airway involvement in asthma assessed by single-breath SF6 and He washoutP M Gustafsson
Dept of Paediatrics, Central Hospital, Skovde, Sweden
Eur Respir J 21:1033-9. 2003..Peripheral airway function was measured using a single-breath sulphur hexafluoride (SF6) and helium (He) washout test and overall airway function by forced expiratory volume in one second (FEV1) at rest, after CACh ..
- Helium-neon laser irradiation stimulates cell proliferation through photostimulatory effects in mitochondriaWan Ping Hu
Faculty of Biotechnology and Graduate Institute of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 127:2048-57. 2007..Recent evidence indicates that cellular proliferation could be triggered by the interaction of a helium-neon laser (He-Ne laser, 632.8 nm) with the mitochondrial photoacceptor-cytochrome c oxidase...
- Formation and properties of metal clusters isolated in helium dropletsJosef Tiggesbäumker
Institut fur Physik, Universitat Rostock, 18051, Rostock, Germany
Phys Chem Chem Phys 9:4748-70. 2007The unique conditions forming atomic and molecular complexes and clusters using superfluid helium nanodroplets have opened up an innovative route for studying the physical and chemical properties of matter on the nanoscale...
- Initial yields of DNA double-strand breaks and DNA Fragmentation patterns depend on linear energy transfer in tobacco BY-2 protoplasts irradiated with helium, carbon and neon ionsYuichiro Yokota
Gene Resource Research Group, Quantum Beam Science Directorate, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Takasaki, Gunma 370 1292, Japan
Radiat Res 167:94-101. 2007..Tobacco BY-2 protoplasts, as a model of single plant cells, were irradiated with helium, carbon and neon ions having different LETs and with gamma rays...
- Pulmonary ventilation and perfusion scanning using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI and arterial spin tagging in healthy normal subjects and in pulmonary embolism and orthotopic lung transplant patientsDavid A Lipson
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Magn Reson Med 47:1073-6. 2002..The acquisition of pulmonary V/Q images using MRI overcomes these difficulties. When inhaled, hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) permits MRI of gas distribution...
- Effects of helium/oxygen and temperature on aerobic metabolism in the marsupial sugar glider, Petaurus brevicepsJ C Holloway
Department of Zoology, School of Biological Sciences, University of New England, Armidale, New South Wales 2351, Australia
Physiol Biochem Zool 74:219-25. 2001Helox (79% helium and 21% oxygen) has often been used for thermobiological studies, primarily because helium is thought to be metabolically inert and to produce no adverse effects other than increasing heat loss...
- Pulmonary embolism: comprehensive evaluation with MR ventilation and perfusion scanning with hyperpolarized helium-3, arterial spin tagging, and contrast-enhanced MRATalissa A Altes
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 16:999-1005. 2005..MR ventilation imaging was performed after the inhalation of hyperpolarized helium-3...
- Cs atoms on helium nanodroplets and the immersion of Cs+ into the nanodropletMoritz Theisen
Institute of Experimental Physics, Graz University of Technology, Petersgasse 16, A 8010 Graz, Austria
J Chem Phys 135:074306. 2011We report the non-desorption of cesium (Cs) atoms on the surface of helium nanodroplets (He(N)) in their 6(2)P(1/2) ((2)Π(1/2)) state upon photo-excitation as well as the immersion of Cs(+) into the He(N) upon photo-ionization via the 6(..
- Measurement of lung airways in three dimensions using hyperpolarized helium-3 MRIEric T Peterson
Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI, USA
Phys Med Biol 56:3107-22. 2011..radiation from CT, we present a method for measuring the large airway diameter in humans using hyperpolarized helium-3 (HPHe) MRI in conjunction with a dynamic 3D radial acquisition...
- Comparison of plethysmographic and helium dilution lung volumes: which is best for COPD?Carl R O'Donnell
ScD, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Dana 717, 330 Brookline Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Chest 137:1108-15. 2010..We sought to compare plethysmography (Pleth)-, helium dilution (He)- and CT scan-derived lung volume measurements in a sample containing many patients with severe ..
- Microleakage of gold casting repairs with different materials as quantified by a helium gas systemB Briseno Marroquin
Department of Conservative Dentistry, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Oper Dent 20:197-203. 1995..Tetric, Charisma, and Polofil Molar), and one glass-ionomer cement (Ketac Silver) and gold cast crowns using a helium gas microleakage method...
- Recent trends in suicides utilizing heliumAmy Austin
Discipline of Anatomy and Pathology, Level 3 Medical School North Building, The University of Adelaide, Frome Road and Forensic Science SA, Adelaide, SA 5005, Australia
J Forensic Sci 56:649-51. 2011Retrospective review of cases of suicide involving helium inhalation was undertaken at Forensic Science South Australia over a 25-year period from 1985 to 2009...
- Alkali-helium snowball complexes formed on helium nanodropletsS Muller
Physikalisches Institut, Universitat Freiburg, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
J Chem Phys 131:044319. 2009..the formation and stability of snowballs formed by femtosecond photoionization of small alkali clusters bound to helium nanodroplets...
- Morphine reduces the threshold of helium preconditioning against myocardial infarction: the role of opioid receptors in rabbitsPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 23:619-24. 2009Brief, repetitive administration of helium before prolonged coronary artery occlusion and reperfusion protects myocardium against infarction...
- Cellular effects of helium in different organsGezina T M L Oei
Department of Anesthesiology, Laboratory of Experimental Intensive Care and Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 112:1503-10. 2010..in cardiac and neuronal tissue has shown that besides volatile anesthetics and xenon, the nonanesthetic noble gas helium also reduces ischemia-reperfusion damage...
- Low-energy helium-neon laser induces locomotion of the immature melanoblasts and promotes melanogenesis of the more differentiated melanoblasts: recapitulation of vitiligo repigmentation in vitroCheng-Che E Lan
Department of Dermatology, Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Kaohsiung Medical University, Taiwan, ROC
J Invest Dermatol 126:2119-26. 2006b>Helium-neon laser (He-Ne Laser, 632.8 nm) is a low-energy laser that has therapeutic efficacy on various clinical conditions...
- Obtaining high-resolution images of biological macromolecules by using a cryo-electron microscope with a liquid-helium cooled stageKaoru Mitsuoka
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology, Biomedicinal Information Research Center, 2 3 26, Aomi, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 0064, Japan
Micron 42:100-6. 2011..for high-resolution imaging in these three different methods, based on our experiences using cryo-EM with a liquid-helium cooled stage...
- A helium burst biolistic device adapted to penetrate fragile insect tissuesJ L Thomas
Unité Nationale Séricicole, INRA, 25 quai J J Rousseau, 69350 La Mulatière, France
J Insect Sci 1:9. 2001..The original floppy macrocarrier was replaced by a rigid macrocarrier to avoid the effects of the helium blast. The efficiency of the gene gun bombardment was reinforced by the addition of a focusing nozzle...
- Microdialysis study of striatal dopaminergic dysfunctions induced by 3 MPa of nitrogen- and helium-oxygen breathing mixtures in freely moving ratsDavid Dedieu
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Action Thérapeutique des gaz sous pression, Faculte de Medecine Nord, Université de la Méditerranée et IMNSSA, E A 3280, IFR Jean Roche, 13916 Marseilles cedex 20, France
Brain Res 998:202-7. 2004Previous studies have demonstrated opposite effects of high-pressure helium and nitrogen on extracellular dopamine (DA) levels, which may reflect disturbances on the synthesis, release or metabolic mechanisms...
- Song syntax changes in Bengalese finches singing in a helium atmosphereHiroko Yamada
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage-ku, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
Neuroreport 14:1725-9. 2003..Eight adult male Bengalese finches were placed in a helium atmosphere, which changes the resonance of the vocal tract...
- High-resolution differential ion mobility separations using helium-rich gasesAlexandre A Shvartsburg
Biological Sciences Division, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, P O Box 999, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
Anal Chem 82:2456-62. 2010..The resolution gains extend to small molecules, where previously unresolved isomers can now be separated. These performance levels open major new applications of FAIMS in proteomic and other biomolecular analyses...
- Pulmonary gas exchange in anaesthetised horses mechanically ventilated with oxygen or a helium/oxygen mixtureF Staffieri
Section of Critical Care and Anesthesia, Department of Clinical Studies New Bolton Center, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, USA
Equine Vet J 41:747-52. 2009..It is unknown whether administration of gas-mixtures high in inspired fraction of oxygen (FiO2) under general anaesthesia may increase formation of pulmonary atelectasis and impair gas exchange...
- The Effects of helium/oxygen mixture (heliox) before and after extubation in long-term mechanically ventilated very low birth weight infantsClaudio Migliori
Department of Neonatology and Neonatal Intensive Care, Spedali Civili Hospital, P le Spedali Civili, 25123 Brescia, Italy
Pediatrics 123:1524-8. 2009Our goal was to evaluate the effects of a helium/oxygen mixture (heliox) on pulmonary mechanics and gas exchange in preterm infants during both conventional and noninvasive ventilation.
- Helium breathing provides modest antiinflammatory, but no endothelial protection against ischemia-reperfusion injury in humans in vivoEliana Lucchinetti
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB, Canada
Anesth Analg 109:101-8. 2009The noble gas helium is devoid of anesthetic effects, and it elicits cardiac preconditioning...
- Comparison of nitrogen narcosis and helium pressure effects on striatal amino acids: a microdialysis study in ratsNicolas Vallee
Faculte de Medecine Nord, IFR de Neurosciences Jean Roche, Université de la Méditerranée et Institut de Médecine Navale du Service de Santé des Armées, Physiologie et Physiopathologie en Conditions d Oxygénation Extrêmes, Marseille Cedex 20, France
Neurochem Res 34:835-44. 2009..was to study the effects of nitrogen at 3 MPa on striatal amino acid levels and to compare to those of 3 MPa of helium which is not narcotic at this pressure, by using a new technique of microdialysis samples extraction under ..
- Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase or the apoptotic protein p53 lowers the threshold of helium cardioprotection in vivo: the role of mitochondrial permeability transitionPaul S Pagel
Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Anesthesia Service, 5000 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 107:769-75. 2008..b>Helium produces cardioprotection by activating prosurvival kinases, but whether GSK and p53 inhibition mediate this ..
- The mechanism of helium-induced preconditioning: a direct role for nitric oxide in rabbitsPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Anesthesia Service, 5000 W National Ave, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
Anesth Analg 107:762-8. 2008b>Helium produces preconditioning against myocardial infarction by activating prosurvival signaling, but whether nitric oxide (NO) generated by endothelial NO synthase plays a role in this phenomenon is unknown...
- Reactive oxygen species and mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium channels mediate helium-induced preconditioning against myocardial infarction in vivoPaul S Pagel
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin and Clement J Zablocki Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Milwaukee, WI 53295, USA
J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 22:554-9. 2008b>Helium produces preconditioning by activating prosurvival kinases, but the roles of reactive oxygen species (ROS) or mitochondrial adenosine triphosphate-regulated potassium (K(ATP)) channels in this process are unknown...
- Quantification of lung microstructure with hyperpolarized 3He diffusion MRIDmitriy A Yablonskiy
Mallinckrodt Inst of Radiology, 4525 Scott Ave, Rm 2302, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Appl Physiol 107:1258-65. 2009....
- Peritoneal and systemic pH during pneumoperitoneum with CO2 and helium in a pig modelMaria Bergström
Deptartment of Surgery, Sahlgrenska University Hospital Ostra, Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Surg Endosc 22:359-64. 2008..The most commonly used gas, CO(2), is known to be well tolerated, but also causes changes in acid-base balance. Helium is an alternative gas for laparoscopy. Although safe, it is not widely used...
- Argon-helium cryosurgery for treatment of C6 gliomas in rats and its effect on cellular immunityMing Li
Department of Neurosurgery, Institute of Neuroscience of Guangdong Province, Zhujiang Hospital, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou 510282, China
Technol Cancer Res Treat 9:87-94. 2010Argon-helium cryosurgery has shown encouraging therapeutic effects on some solid tumors, but its application in the treatment of gliomas remains poorly documented...
- The effects of helium-hyperoxia on 6-min walking distance in COPD: a randomized, controlled trialDarcy D Marciniuk
Department of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, SK, Canada
Chest 131:1659-65. 2007We hypothesized that breathing helium-hyperoxia (HeO2) would significantly improve 6-min walking test (6MWT) distance in COPD subjects.
- The utility of albuterol nebulized with heliox during acute asthma exacerbationsJohn P Kress
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:1317-21. 2002..This is likely due to the low-density gas improving albuterol deposition in the distal airways...
- Hypoxaemia induced by CO(2) or helium pneumoperitoneum is a co-factor in adhesion formation in rabbitsC R Molinas
Centre for Surgical Technologies, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
Hum Reprod 15:1758-63. 2000..Pure CO(2) or helium pneumoperitoneum was used for 10 (groups I and IV) or 45 min (groups II and V) to confirm the effect of duration ..
- Effect of combined recompression and air, oxygen, or heliox breathing on air bubbles in rat tissuesO Hyldegaard
The Institute of Medical Physiology, The Panum Institute, University of Copenhagen, 2200 N Copenhagen, Denmark
J Appl Physiol 90:1639-47. 2001..The clinical implication of these findings might be that heliox 50:50 is the mixture of choice for the treatment of decompression sickness...
- Assessment of the usefulness of helium-oxygen maximal expiratory flow curves in epidemiologic studies of lung disease in childrenS Redline
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115
Am Rev Respir Dis 136:834-40. 1987..at 50 and 25% of vital capacity (DD50 and DD25) (the ratios between maximal expiratory flow rates breathing helium-oxygen and air gas mixtures at each of these lung volumes), and the volume of isoflow (VisoV) (the lung volume, ..
- Helium and sulfur hexafluoride bolus washin in short-term microgravityB Dutrieue
Biomedical Physics Laboratory, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1070 Brussels, Belgium
J Appl Physiol 86:1594-602. 1999..These results help explain previous studies in microG, which show large changes in gas mixing in vital capacity maneuvers but only small effects in tidal volume breaths...
- Contrast mechanisms and image formation in helium ion microscopyDavid C Bell
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences and the Center for Nanoscale Systems, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Microsc Microanal 15:147-53. 2009The helium ion microscope is a unique imaging instrument...
- Helium/oxygen mixture reduces the work of breathing at the end of the weaning process in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJean-Luc Diehl
, , France
Crit Care Med 31:1415-20. 2003OBJECTIVE: To test the hypothesis that helium/oxygen mixture can reduce the work of breathing at the end of the weaning process in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. DESIGN: Prospective, randomized, crossover study...
- In vitro effects of helium-neon laser irradiation on human blood: blood viscosity and deformability of erythrocytesXian-Qiang Mi
Department of Physics, State Key Laboratory of Applied Surface Physics, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
Photomed Laser Surg 22:477-82. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: The positive effects of laser irradiation on improving the rheological properties of blood were demonstrated in vitro...
- MRI of helium-3 gas in healthy lungs: posture related variations of alveolar sizeStanislao Fichele
Academic Unit of Radiology, The University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield S10 2JF, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 20:331-5. 2004..To probe the variation of alveolar size in healthy lung tissue as a function of posture using diffusion-weighted helium-3 hyperpolarized gas imaging...
- Heliox improves gas exchange during high-frequency ventilation in a pediatric model of acute lung injuryA Katz
Department of Pediatrics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:260-4. 2001..Compared with oxygen-enriched air, the 40% and 60% helium gas mixtures reduced Pa(CO(2)) by an average of 10.5 and 20.3 mm Hg, respectively...
- Helium-neon laser in viability of random skin flap in ratsCarlos E Pinfildi
Department of Plastic Surgery, Sao Paulo Federal University Unifesp EPM, Aracaju Street 1352, São Paulo 15801 0250, Brazil
Lasers Surg Med 37:74-7. 2005The purpose of this study was to determine the role of helium-neon (He-Ne) laser random skin flap viability in rats.
- Effect of air and heliox as carrier gas on CO2 transport in a model of high-frequency oscillation comparing two oscillatorsReinout J Mildner
Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1X8
Crit Care Med 31:1759-63. 2003..Using heliox as carrier gas significantly augmented CO(2) transport, but the increase is frequency and device dependent. The effect of heliox on oscillator performance and the clinical applicability of our findings require further study...
- 3D volume-localized pO2 measurement in the human lung with 3He MRIJim M Wild
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, UK
Magn Reson Med 53:1055-64. 2005..It is shown that the 2D thin-slice technique systematically underestimates pO2 when there is significant gas diffusion (factor of 4 underestimate for D = 0.9 cm(2)s(-1) representative of free (3)He in air)...
- Combined helium-3/proton magnetic resonance imaging measurement of ventilated lung volumes in smokers compared to never-smokersNeil Woodhouse
Unit Academic of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:365-9. 2005To use a combination of helium-3 (3-He) magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and proton single-shot fast spin echo (SSFSE) to compare ventilated lung volumes in groups of "healthy" smokers, smokers diagnosed with moderate chronic ..
- Effects of helium-neon laser on levels of stress protein and arthritic histopathology in experimental osteoarthritisYueh-Shuang Lin
Kun Shan University of Technology, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 83:758-65. 2004..In the treated group, 21 rats received helium-neon laser treatment; in the control group, 21 rats received sham laser treatment...
- Feasibility of combining MR perfusion, angiography, and 3He ventilation imaging for evaluation of lung function in a porcine modelCheng Hong
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Acad Radiol 12:202-9. 2005..03). CONCLUSION: The combination of the three methods of MR perfusion, angiography, and 3H ventilation imaging may provide complementary information on abnormal lung anatomy and function...
- Functional analysis in single-lung transplant recipients: a comparative study of high-resolution CT, 3He-MRI, and pulmonary function testsJulia Zaporozhan
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Chest 125:173-81. 2004..Lung volumes derived from pulmonary function test results served as clinical parameters and were used as the "gold standard."..
- Helium-oxygen in the postextubation period decreases inspiratory effortS Jaber
, , AP-HP, , France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:633-7. 2001..We tested whether breathing a helium-oxygen mixture (HeO(2)) would reduce inspiratory effort in the period after extubation...
- Heliox administration during high-frequency jet ventilation augments carbon dioxide clearanceVineet K Gupta
Division of Pediatric Critical Care, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Respir Care 49:1038-44. 2004..Improvements in gas exchange occurred rapidly. The combination of heliox and high frequency jet ventilation resulted in improved carbon dioxide clearance, respiratory stabilization, and the ability to wean ventilator settings...
- Comparison between 2D and 3D gradient-echo sequences for MRI of human lung ventilation with hyperpolarized 3HeJim M Wild
Section of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, UK
Magn Reson Med 52:673-8. 2004..Theoretical simulations of the 2D and 3D k-space filters were also performed to predict the SNR and spatial resolution observed in the experimental images...
- Helium-neon and nitrogen laser irradiation accelerates the phagocytic activity of human monocytesNanda Hemvani
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Choithram Hospital and Research Centre, Indore, India
Photomed Laser Surg 23:571-4. 2005..CONCLUSIONS: He-Ne and nitrogen laser irradiation activates the monocytes to increase intracellular killing of mycobacteria...
- Dose tolerance at helium and nitrogen temperatures for whole cell electron tomographyLuis R Comolli
Life Science Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, CA, USA
J Struct Biol 152:149-56. 2005..here a comparison of the dose tolerance of Caulobacter crescentus cells embedded in amorphous ice at liquid helium versus liquid nitrogen temperature...
- The role of laser fluence in cell viability, proliferation, and membrane integrity of wounded human skin fibroblasts following helium-neon laser irradiationDenise H Hawkins
Faculty of Health, University of Johannesburg, P.O. Box 17011, Doornfontein, Johannesburg 2028, South Africa
Lasers Surg Med 38:74-83. 2006..This study aimed to establish cellular responses to Helium-Neon (632.8 nm) laser irradiation using different laser fluences (0.5, 2...
- Helium-oxygen decreases inspiratory effort and work of breathing during pressure support in intubated patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDidier Tassaux
Medical Intensive Care, University Hospital, 1211, Geneva 14, Switzerland
Intensive Care Med 31:1501-7. 2005OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the impact of helium-oxygen (He/O2) on inspiratory effort and work of breathing (WOB) in intubated COPD patients ventilated with pressure support...
- Analysis of intrapulmonary O(2) concentration by MR imaging of inhaled hyperpolarized helium-3B Eberle
Department of Anesthesiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, D 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Appl Physiol 87:2043-52. 1999..The [O(2)] fractions in the regions of interest correlated closely with FET(O(2)) (R = 0.879; P < 0.0001). O(2)-sensitive (3)He-MRI may allow noninvasive study of regional distribution of ventilation and alveolar PO(2) in the lung...
- Emphysema: hyperpolarized helium 3 diffusion MR imaging of the lungs compared with spirometric indexes--initial experienceMichael Salerno
Center for In-vivo Hyperpolarized Gas MR Imaging, Department of Radiology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, 1000 Lee St, Box 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Radiology 222:252-60. 2002PURPOSE: To quantitatively evaluate hyperpolarized helium 3 ((3)He) diffusion magnetic resonance (MR) images of the lung in patients with emphysema and to determine whether apparent diffusion coefficients (ADCs) measured with MR imaging ..
- Recent neurochemical basis of inert gas narcosis and pressure effectsJ C Rostain
Université de la Méditerranée et IMNSSA, EA 3280, Physiopathologie et action thérapeutique des gaz sous pression, Faculte de Medecine Nord, IFR J Roche, 13916 Marseille 20, France
Undersea Hyperb Med 33:197-204. 2006..Compression with breathing mixtures where nitrogen is replaced by helium which has a low narcotic potency induces from 1 MPa, the high pressure nervous syndrome which is related to ..
- Helium-oxygen versus air-oxygen noninvasive pressure support in decompensated chronic obstructive disease: A prospective, multicenter studyPhilippe Jolliet
Medical Intensive Care Division, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Crit Care Med 31:878-84. 2003OBJECTIVE: To study whether noninvasive pressure support ventilation (NIPSV) with helium/oxygen (He/oxygen), which can reduce dyspnea, PaCO2, and work of breathing more than NIPSV with air/oxygen in decompensated chronic obstructive ..
- Signaling factors for irradiated glioma cells induced bystander responses in fibroblastsChunlin Shao
Institute of Radiation Medicine, Fudan University, No 2094 Xie Tu Road, Shanghai 200032, China
Mutat Res 638:139-45. 2008..a glioblastoma T98G population where a fraction of cells had been individually irradiated with a precise number of helium particles, additional micronucleus (MN) were induced in the non-irradiated human fibroblasts AG01522 cells and its ..
- Helium-neon laser irradiation stimulates migration and proliferation in melanocytes and induces repigmentation in segmental-type vitiligoHsin Su Yu
Department of Dermatology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Invest Dermatol 120:56-64. 2003Low-energy helium-neon lasers (632.8 nm) have been employed in a variety of clinical treatments including vitiligo management...
- Measurement of pulmonary partial pressure of oxygen and oxygen depletion rate with hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI: a preliminary reproducibility study on pig modelJiangsheng Yu
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, MMRRCC, B1 Stellar Chance Building, 422 Curie Boulevard, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Acad Radiol 15:702-12. 2008..This work presents a preliminary reproducibility study on a pig model. In this study, important scan parameters, such as measurement timing and flip angle, are optimized to minimize the noise-induced measurement uncertainty...
- Indirect detection of lung perfusion using susceptibility-based hyperpolarized gas imagingIvan E Dimitrov
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Magn Reson Imaging 21:149-55. 2005..To address the problem of inadequate signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) encountered in lung perfusion magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) by developing an indirect detection based on the strong hyperpolarized (HP) gas signal...
- Functional MRI of the lung using hyperpolarized 3-helium gasEdwin J R van Beek
Academic Unit of Radiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Magn Reson Imaging 20:540-54. 2004..Four different techniques that have been used in various human investigations are discussed: ventilation distribution, ventilation dynamics, and small airway evaluation using diffusion imaging and oxygen uptake assessment...
- 3He MRI-based assessment of posture-dependent regional ventilation gradients in ratsSven Mansson
Dept of Experimental Research, Malmö Univ Hospital, SE 205 02 Malmo, Sweden
J Appl Physiol 98:2259-67. 2005..01 +/- 0.02 cm(-1). It is concluded that the (3)He MRI-based method can detect and quantify regional ventilation gradients in animals as small as the rat and that these gradients depend on prone or supine posture of the animal...
- Single-acquisition sequence for the measurement of oxygen partial pressure by hyperpolarized gas MRIM C Fischer
Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Magn Reson Med 52:766-73. 2004Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with hyperpolarized 3-helium gas (HP 3He) offers the possibility of studying functional lung parameters such as the alveolar oxygen concentration and oxygen depletion rate...
- Registered (1)H and (3)He magnetic resonance microscopy of the lungG A Johnson
Center for In Vivo Microscopy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Magn Reson Med 45:365-70. 2001..The total acquisition time was 21 min for the (3)He images and 64 min for the (1)H image. Airways down to the 6th and 7th orders are clearly visible. Magn Reson Med 45:365-370, 2001...
- Hyperpolarized gas MR imaging of the lungTalissa A Altes
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Thorac Imaging 19:250-8. 2004..It includes a description of the basic principles of hyperpolarized gas MRI and a review of the results of preliminary clinical investigations with this method...
- Assessment of a single-acquisition imaging sequence for oxygen-sensitive (3)He-MRIA J Deninger
Department of Physics, Johannes Gutenberg University, Mainz, Germany
Magn Reson Med 47:105-14. 2002MRI of the lungs using hyperpolarized helium-3 ((3)He) allows the determination of intrapulmonary oxygen partial pressures (p(O2))...
- Hyperpolarized helium-3 MR imaging of pulmonary functionMasaru Ishii
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Johns Hopkins University, 4940 Eastern Avenue, A5W 595A, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Radiol Clin North Am 43:235-46. 2005..Recent advances in HP MR imaging contrast agents have led to novel tests of pulmonary function. Many of these tests show promise in the clinical arena...
- Phase-contrast velocimetry with hyperpolarized 3He for in vitro and in vivo characterization of airflowLudovic de Rochefort
U2R2M, Unité de Recherche en Résonance Magnétique Médicale, UMR 8081, CNRS Universite Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Magn Reson Med 55:1318-25. 2006..Finally, in vivo feasibility was demonstrated in the human trachea during inhalation...
- Hyperpolarized noble gas MR imaging of the lung: potential clinical applicationsM Salerno
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health Sciences System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Eur J Radiol 40:33-44. 2001..Hyperpolarized gas MRI has the potential to provide a comprehensive morphologic and functional assessment of the lung...
- Hyperpolarized 3helium magnetic resonance ventilation imaging of the lung in cystic fibrosis: comparison with high resolution CT and spirometryColm J McMahon
Department of Radiology, St Vincent s University Hospital, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Radiol 16:2483-90. 2006..01, respectively) than HRCT (R = +/-0.72 and +/-0.81, p < 0.05, respectively). This study showed that 3He MRI correlates strongly with structural HRCT abnormalities and is a stronger correlate of spirometry than HRCT in CF...
- Evaluation of asthma with hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI: correlation with clinical severity and spirometryEduard E de Lange
University of Virginia Health Sciences System, Department of Radiology, HSC 800170, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Chest 130:1055-62. 2006Accurate characterization of asthma severity is difficult due to the variability of symptoms. Hyperpolarized helium-3 MRI (H(3)HeMR) is a new technique in which the airspaces are visualized, depicting regions with airflow obstruction as &..
- [Dynamic imaging of the nasal cavity and the paranasal sinuses with polarized 3helium MRI]A Hanke
, Langenbeckstrasse, Mainz, Germany
Rofo 173:1126-30. 2001..and visualization ventilation of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinus in MR by inhalation of hyperpolarized (3)helium. The goal was to evaluate ventilation defects of the paranasal sinuses...
- Assessment of lung disease in children with cystic fibrosis using hyperpolarized 3-Helium MRI: comparison with Shwachman score, Chrispin-Norman score and spirometryEdwin J R van Beek
Unit of Academic Radiology, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
Eur Radiol 17:1018-24. 2007This study assesses the feasibility of hyperpolarized 3-Helium MRI in children with cystic fibrosis (CF) and correlates the findings with standard clinical parameters based on chest radiograph (CXR) and pulmonary function tests (PFT)...
- Magnetic susceptibility matching at the air-tissue interface in rat lung by using a superparamagnetic intravascular contrast agent: influence on transverse relaxation time of hyperpolarized helium-3Alexandre Vignaud
U2R2M CNRS UMR8081, , CIERM, , , France
Magn Reson Med 54:28-33. 2005Transverse relaxation of hyperpolarized helium-3 magnetization in respiratory airways highly depends on local magnetic field gradients induced by the magnetic susceptibility difference between gas and pulmonary tissue...
- MR imaging of mouse lung using hyperpolarized 3He: image acquisition and T1 estimation under spontaneous respirationHirohiko Imai
Department of Medical Physics and Engineering, Division of Health Sciences, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka University, Japan
Magn Reson Med Sci 5:57-64. 2006..The purpose of this study was to acquire a hyperpolarized (HP) (3)He image of the mouse lung and to estimate 3He T1 in the lung from wash-out curve analysis under spontaneous respiration...
- [Functional imaging of the lung using a gaseous contrast agent: (3)helium-magnetic resonance imaging]K K Gast
, , Mainz
Rofo 177:660-9. 2005..Magnetic resonance imaging of the lung has been advanced by the use of hyperpolarised (3)Helium as an inhaled gaseous contrast agent...
- Two-dimensional and three-dimensional oxygen mapping by 3He-MRI validation in a lung phantomKlaus Kurt Gast
Department of Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University Hospital, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131, Mainz, Germany
Eur Radiol 15:1915-22. 2005..Oxygen-sensitive 3He-MRI allows for noninvasive determination of the two- and three-dimensional distribution of oxygen partial pressure in gas-filled airspaces...
- 3He lung imaging in an open access, very-low-field human magnetic resonance imaging systemR W Mair
Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, 60 Garden Street, MS 59, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Magn Reson Med 53:745-9. 2005..Experience with this prototype device will guide optimization of a second-generation very-low-field imager to enable studies of human pulmonary physiology as a function of subject orientation...
- Alveolar oxygen partial pressure and oxygen depletion rate mapping in rats using 3He ventilation imagingKatarzyna Cieslar
Institute of Physics, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
Magn Reson Med 57:423-30. 2007..The oxygen depletion rates, ranging between 0.7 and 8.0 mbar s-1, are in close agreement with the published values for healthy rats...
- Hyperpolarized HHe 3 MRI of the lung in cystic fibrosis: assessment at baseline and after bronchodilator and airway clearance treatmentKimiknu Mentore
Department of Radiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Acad Radiol 12:1423-9. 2005RATIONALE AND OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this study is to determine hyperpolarized helium 3 (HHe) magnetic resonance (MR) findings of the lung in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) compared with healthy subjects and determine whether HHe ..
- [A software tool for analysis and quantification of regional pulmonary ventilation using dynamic hyperpolarised-(3)He-MRI]F Lehmann
, , Mainz
Rofo 176:1399-408. 2004..The clinical significance of the parameters, however, has to be determined in larger clinical studies. The software may become valuable in grading and following pulmonary function as well as in monitoring any therapy...
- Distribution of ventilation in lung transplant recipients: evaluation by dynamic 3He-MRI with lung motion correctionKlaus Kurt Gast
Department of Radiology, Klinikum Universitaet Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Invest Radiol 38:341-8. 2003..The ability of motion corrected dynamic 3He-magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to discriminate distributional patterns of inhaled hyperpolarized 3He between different groups of lung transplant recipients was evaluated...
- Intrapulmonary 3He gas distribution depending on bolus size and temporal bolus placementKlaus Kurt Gast
Klinik für Diagnostische und Interventionelle Radiologie der Johannes Gutenberg Universität Mainz, Mainz, Germany
Invest Radiol 43:439-46. 2008....
- Dynamic ventilation (3)He-magnetic resonance imaging with lung motion correction: gas flow distribution analysisKlaus Kurt Gast
Department of Radiology, Klinikum Universitaet Mainz, Langenbeckstrasse 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
Invest Radiol 37:126-34. 2002..Software was developed to correct for lung motion to improve the description of hyperpolarized (3)He gas distribution in the lung...
- High-Tc susceptometer to monitor transfusional iron overload (NSR device)Gary M Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2010..Low-transition-temperature (low-Tc;operating at 4K, cooled by liquid helium) superconducting quantum interference device (SQUID) susceptometry was originally developed as a clinical method ..
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF THE CRYSTALLINE LENSJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 2002..e spherical aberration) of the experimental animal lenses will be assessed by analysis with a low power helium-neon laser scan unit of our own design with particular reference to lens sutures...
- ADVANCED ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF CRYSTALLINE LENJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 1999..e spherical aberration) of the experimental animal lenses will be assessed by analysis with a low power helium-neon laser scan unit of our own design with particular reference to lens sutures...
- HE3 MR Diffusion & Low Dose CT Quantitation of EmphysemaDavid Gierada; Fiscal Year: 2005The goal of this proposal is to develop and evaluate hyperpolarized helium-3 diffusion magnetic resonance imaging (He-3 dMRI) and low dose quantitative computed tomography (LD-QCT) indexes of emphysema as noninvasive biomarkers for the ..
- Respiratory Mechanics in Lung Disease and SurgeryStephen Loring; Fiscal Year: 2004..2) To explore the differences between lung volumes measured by multiple breath helium dilution, plethysmography, and computed tomography (CT)...
- A Freeze-Fracture & Etching System for Northwestern UnivMark Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2002..In combination with the different methods of freeaing that will be available (a Med-Vac helium slam freezer and a Leica CPC Universal cryoworkstation), this will provide a versatile facility for ..
- Imaging regional physiologic parameters of lung functionRahim Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2009..ventilation, perfusion, and ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, as well as oxygen depletion rate and diffusivity of helium-3 in the lung...
- Imaging regional physiologic parameters of lung functionRahim R Rizi; Fiscal Year: 2010..ventilation, perfusion, and ventilation-to-perfusion ratio, as well as oxygen depletion rate and diffusivity of helium-3 in the lung...
- STRUCTURE AND DYNAMICS OF CONNEXIN26 GAP JUNCTIONSGINA SOSINSKY; Fiscal Year: 2007..This involves improving specimen preparation, imaging at either liquid nitrogen or liquid helium temperature and implementation of a combined single particle/ 2D crystallographic approach to circumvent imperfect ..
- ELECTRON MICROSCOPIC STUDIES OF CRYSTALLINE LENSESJ Kuszak; Fiscal Year: 1993..2) A helium-neon laser scan device of the investigator's own design will be used to quantify the negative influence of lens ..
- VISION AND INTRARETINAL POTENTIALSDWIGHT BURKHARDT; Fiscal Year: 1993..Special features include the use of a superfused slice preparation of the turtle eyecup and a helium-neon laser to generate intense adapting lights...
- A Compact Soft X-Ray Microbeam Facility for Small LaboratoriesSTEPHEN HORNE; Fiscal Year: 2007..source, the photon energy will be raised to the 1 KeV to 3 KeV range by exploiting optical transitions in helium-like systems such as neon 8+ and argon 16+...
- High Resolution Labels for EMJames F Hainfeld; Fiscal Year: 2010..Electron microscopes have recently advanced with the advent of cryoEM, large array CCDs, helium stages, energy filters, aberration correctors, tomography, and automation...
- High Tc susceptometer for magnetic measure of body ironGary Brittenham; Fiscal Year: 2005..Recent technological advances make possible replacement of each of these low-Tc elements, cooled by liquid helium, with components able to function when cooled by liquid nitrogen...
- DYNAMICS OF ALVEOLAR RECRUITMENT IN LUNG INJURYRobert Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..assessed by distributions of opening or closing pressures from the PV curve, NO uptake kinetics, oxygenation, and helium dilution lung volume...
- REDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE DURING LAPAROSCOPYMark Talamini; Fiscal Year: 2005..The effect of pneumoperitoneum with CO2, helium, or air on the inflammatory response after sepsis (cecal ligation and puncture) will be compared...
- High-speed cell sorterRonald Veazey; Fiscal Year: 2002..this application is to obtain a Becton Dickinson FACS Vantage SE flow cytometer equipped with an Enterprise II and Helium/Neon laser, and the high speed Turbosort option, for use by Researchers at, and in proximity to, the Tulane ..
- Hermetic Nanowire Interconnects for Neural ProsthesesJames Weiland; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition to these two activities, initial system test and biocompatibility assessments will be performed. Helium leak testing will be used to assess hermeticity...
- STUDIES OF CELL JUNCTIONS & CELL MEMBRANES IN THE LENSWoo kuen Lo; Fiscal Year: 1993..electron microscopy using the improved fixation method developed in this laboratory; (2) rapid-freezing in liquid helium temperature without prior chemical fixation, and in conjunction with free-substitution, freeze-fracture and deep-..
- Dynamic 3HE MRI of the LungsVINAY PAI; Fiscal Year: 2007..Many causes of airway dysfunction, such as asthma, may be occult to CT. MRI of helium-3 (3HeMRI) is a recently developed method of visualizing lung air spaces and airways...
- LASER SCANNING CONFOCAL MICROSCOPERobert Lechleider; Fiscal Year: 2003..The three lasers requested, argon, red Helium-Neon and green Helium-Neon, will provide excitatory signals for most applications, with the expansion with ..