Genomes and Genes
Summary: A trace element with the atomic symbol Ni, atomic number 28, and atomic weight 58.69. It is a cofactor of the enzyme UREASE.
Publications349 found, 100 shown here
- An overview of nickel-titanium alloys used in dentistryS A Thompson
Department of Adult Dental Health, University of Wales College of Medicine, Cardiff, UK
Int Endod J 33:297-310. 2000The nickel-titanium alloy Nitinol has been used in the manufacture of endodontic instruments in recent years. Nitinol alloys have greater strength and a lower modulus of elasticity compared with stainless steel alloys...
- Crucial role for human Toll-like receptor 4 in the development of contact allergy to nickelMarc Schmidt
Department of Dermatology, University Hospital Mannheim, University of Heidelberg, Mannheim, Germany
Nat Immunol 11:814-9. 2010Allergies to nickel (Ni(2+)) are the most frequent cause of contact hypersensitivity (CHS) in industrialized countries. The efficient development of CHS requires both a T lymphocyte-specific signal and a proinflammatory signal...
- Oxidative stress mediated apoptosis induced by nickel ferrite nanoparticles in cultured A549 cellsMaqusood Ahamed
King Abdullah Institute for Nanotechnology, King Saud University, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Toxicology 283:101-8. 2011Due to the interesting magnetic and electrical properties with good chemical and thermal stabilities, nickel ferrite nanoparticles are being utilized in many applications including magnetic resonance imaging, drug delivery and ..
- Mechanical response of nickel-titanium instruments with different cross-sectional designs during shaping of simulated curved canalsH C Kim
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
Int Endod J 42:593-602. 2009To evaluate how different cross-sectional designs affect stress distribution in nickel-titanium (NiTi) instruments during bending, torsion and simulated shaping of a curved canal.
- The key nickel enzyme of methanogenesis catalyses the anaerobic oxidation of methaneSilvan Scheller
Laboratory of Organic Chemistry, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Str 10, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Nature 465:606-8. 2010..oxidation of methane might proceed as the reverse of archaeal methanogenesis from carbon dioxide with the nickel-containing methyl-coenzyme M reductase (MCR) as the methane-activating enzyme...
- Histidine protects against zinc and nickel toxicity in Caenorhabditis elegansJohn T Murphy
Department of Developmental Biology, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri, United States of America
PLoS Genet 7:e1002013. 2011..Supporting this hypothesis, we demonstrated that dietary histidine promotes zinc tolerance. Nickel is another metal that binds histidine with high affinity...
- Nickel, its adverse health effects & oxidative stressK K Das
Environmental Health Research Unit, Department of Physiology, Al Ameen Medical College, Bijapur, Karnataka, India
Indian J Med Res 128:412-25. 2008b>Nickel-induced toxicity and carcinogenicity, with an emphasis on the generation and role of reactive oxygen species is reviewed...
- Coordination modes of a schiff base pentadentate derivative of 4-aminoantipyrine with cobalt(II), nickel(II) and copper(II) metal ions: synthesis, spectroscopic and antimicrobial studiesSulekh Chandra
Department of Chemistry, Zakir Husain College, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India
Molecules 14:174-90. 2009..The nickel(II) complexes were found to have octahedral geometry, whereas cobalt(II) and copper(II) complexes were of ..
- Monitoring of lead, cadmium, chromium and nickel in placenta from an e-waste recycling town in ChinaYongyong Guo
Analytical Cytology Laboratory, Shantou University Medical College, Guangdong, P R China
Sci Total Environ 408:3113-7. 2010..We aimed to investigate concentrations of heavy metals, including lead (Pb), cadmium (Cd), chromium (Cr), and nickel (Ni) in placenta from Guiyu and compared them with those from a control area where no e-waste processing occurs...
- Structure of a nickel chaperone, HypA, from Helicobacter pylori reveals two distinct metal binding sitesWei Xia
Department of Chemistry and Open Laboratory of Chemical Biology, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong, People s Republic of China
J Am Chem Soc 131:10031-40. 2009..They are required for the activation and maturation of nickel-containing enzymes [Ni,Fe]-hydrogenase and urease...
- Melatonin protects against Nickel-induced neurotoxicity in vitro by reducing oxidative stress and maintaining mitochondrial functionShang Cheng Xu
Department of Occupational Health, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Pineal Res 49:86-94. 2010b>Nickel is a potential neurotoxic pollutant. Oxidative stress is supposed to be involved in the mechanism underlying nickel-induced neurotoxicity...
- Effects of nickel, chromate, and arsenite on histone 3 lysine methylationXue Zhou
Nelson Institute of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 57 Old Forge Road, NY 10987, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 236:78-84. 2009Occupational exposure to nickel (Ni), chromium (Cr), and arsenic (As) containing compounds has been associated with lung cancer and other adverse health effects...
- Interplay of metal ions and ureaseEric L Carter
Department of Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 4320, USA
Metallomics 1:207-21. 2009Urease, the first enzyme to be crystallized, contains a dinuclear nickel metallocenter that catalyzes the decomposition of urea to produce ammonia, a reaction of great agricultural and medical importance...
- Nickel ions inhibit histone demethylase JMJD1A and DNA repair enzyme ABH2 by replacing the ferrous iron in the catalytic centersHaobin Chen
Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University of School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Biol Chem 285:7374-83. 2010..ABH2 as examples, we show that this family of dioxygenases is highly sensitive to inhibition by carcinogenic nickel ions...
- Long-term inhalation exposure to nickel nanoparticles exacerbated atherosclerosis in a susceptible mouse modelGi Soo Kang
Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, Tuxedo, New York, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:176-81. 2011....
- The effectiveness of manual and mechanical instrumentation for the retreatment of three different root canal filling materialsFrancesco Somma
Department of Endodontics, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
J Endod 34:466-9. 2008..Both the engine-driven NiTi rotary systems proved to be safe and fast devices for the removal of endodontic filling material...
- A comparison of the efficacy of conventional and new retreatment instruments to remove gutta-percha in curved root canals: an ex vivo studyG Celik Unal
Department of Endodontics, Suleyman Demirel University, Isparta, Turkey
Int Endod J 42:344-50. 2009..To compare the efficacy of conventional and new retreatment instruments when removing gutta-percha root fillings in curved root canals...
- Efficacy of three rotary NiTi instruments in removing gutta-percha from root canalsT Tasdemir
Department of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey
Int Endod J 41:191-6. 2008To investigate the ability of three rotary nickel-titanium instruments and hand instrumentation to remove gutta-percha and sealer.
- Surface characterizations and corrosion resistance of nickel-titanium orthodontic archwires in artificial saliva of various degrees of acidityHer Hsiung Huang
Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, National University of Kaohsiung, No 700, Kaohsiung University Road, Kaohsiung 811, Taiwan
J Biomed Mater Res A 74:629-39. 2005This study investigated the surface characterizations and corrosion resistance of as-received commercial nickel-titanium (NiTi) dental orthodontic archwires from different manufacturers using a cyclic potentiodynamic test in artificial ..
- Cyclic fatigue resistance and three-dimensional analysis of instruments from two nickel-titanium rotary systemsN M Grande
Department of Endodontics, Catholic University of Sacred Heart, Rome, Italy
Int Endod J 39:755-63. 2006To determine how instrument design affects the fatigue life of two nickel-titanium (Ni-Ti) rotary systems (Mtwo and ProTaper) under cyclic fatigue stress in simulated root canals.
- Constitutively elevated salicylic acid signals glutathione-mediated nickel tolerance in Thlaspi nickel hyperaccumulatorsJohn L Freeman
Center for Plant Environmental Stress Physiology, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
Plant Physiol 137:1082-91. 2005Progress is being made in understanding the biochemical and molecular basis of nickel (Ni)/zinc (Zn) hyperaccumulation in Thlaspi; however, the molecular signaling pathways that control these mechanisms are not understood...
- A novel class of modular transporters for vitamins in prokaryotesDmitry A Rodionov
Burnham Institute for Medical Research, 10901 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
J Bacteriol 191:42-51. 2009..The shared use of energy-coupling modules was experimentally confirmed for folate, thiamine, and riboflavin transporters. We propose the name energy-coupling factor transporters for the new class of membrane transporters...
- Oxidative and excitatory mechanisms of developmental neurotoxicity: transcriptional profiles for chlorpyrifos, diazinon, dieldrin, and divalent nickel in PC12 cellsTheodore A Slotkin
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Environ Health Perspect 117:587-96. 2009..Oxidative stress and excitotoxicity underlie the developmental neurotoxicity of numerous chemicals...
- Nickel and extracellular acidification inhibit the water permeability of human aquaporin-3 in lung epithelial cellsMarina Zelenina
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, S 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Biol Chem 278:30037-43. 2003b>Nickel is a common cause of pneumoconiosis. Here, we show that nickel inactivates aquaporin (AQP)-3, the water channel expressed apically in epithelial cells of human terminal airways...
- A nickel-cobalt-sensing ArsR-SmtB family repressor. Contributions of cytosol and effector binding sites to metal selectivityJennifer S Cavet
Biosciences, Medical School, University of Newcastle, Newcastle NE2 4HH, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 277:38441-8. 2002..of a gene encoding a P(1) type ATPase (NmtA), repressing transcription in vivo except in medium supplemented with nickel or, to some extent, cobalt...
- Abnormal coronary function in mice deficient in alpha1H T-type Ca2+ channelsChien Chang Chen
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Science 302:1416-8. 2003..Furthermore, acute blockade of T-channels with Ni2+ prevented relaxation of wild-type coronary arteries. Thus, Ca2+ influx through alpha1H T-type Ca2+ channels is essential for normal relaxation of coronary arteries...
- Factors influencing defects of rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instruments after clinical usePeter Parashos
School of Dental Science, University of Melbourne, 711 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
J Endod 30:722-5. 2004This study examined used, discarded rotary nickel-titanium instruments obtained from 14 endodontists in four countries, and identified factors that may influence defects produced during clinical use...
- Copper inhibits the water and glycerol permeability of aquaporin-3Marina Zelenina
Department of Woman and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm S 171 77, Sweden
J Biol Chem 279:51939-43. 2004..Our results provide a better understanding of processes that occur in severe copper metabolism defects such as Wilson disease and in copper poisoning...
- Coselection for microbial resistance to metals and antibiotics in freshwater microcosmsRamunas Stepanauskas
University of Georgia, Savannah River Ecology Laboratory, Aiken, SC, USA
Environ Microbiol 8:1510-4. 2006..Our results provide first experimental evidence that the exposure of freshwater environments to individual metals and antibiotics selects for multiresistant microorganisms, including opportunistic human pathogens...
- Comparative study on the shaping ability and cleaning efficiency of rotary Mtwo instruments. Part 1. Shaping ability in simulated curved canalsE Schafer
Department of Operative Dentistry, University of Munster, Munster, Germany
Int Endod J 39:196-202. 2006To compare the shaping ability of Mtwo instruments with K3 and RaCe instruments. Part 1 of this two-part report describes the efficacy of these nickel-titanium instruments in simulated curved root canals.
- Does the effect of PM10 on mortality depend on PM nickel and vanadium content? A reanalysis of the NMMAPS dataFrancesca Dominici
Department of Biostatistics, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Environ Health Perspect 115:1701-3. 2007..They found that average concentrations of nickel or vanadium in PM2.5 (PM with aerodynamic diameter < 2...
- Nickel reactivity and filaggrin null mutations--evaluation of the filaggrin bypass theory in a general populationKatrine Ross-Hansen
Department of Dermato Allergology, National Allergy Research Centre, Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte, 2900 Hellerup, Denmark
Contact Dermatitis 64:24-31. 2011It was recently shown that filaggrin null mutation carrier status was associated with nickel allergy and self-reported intolerance to costume jewellery...
- Nickel compounds render anti-apoptotic effect to human bronchial epithelial Beas-2B cells by induction of cyclooxygenase-2 through an IKKbeta/p65-dependent and IKKalpha- and p50-independent pathwayJin Ding
Nelson Institute of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, Tuxedo, New York 10987, USA
J Biol Chem 281:39022-32. 2006The carcinogenicity of nickel compounds has been well documented both in vitro and in vivo; however, the molecular mechanisms by which nickel compounds cause cancers are far from understood...
- A retrospective study of endodontic treatment outcome between nickel-titanium rotary and stainless steel hand filing techniquesGary S P Cheung
Area of Endodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
J Endod 35:938-43. 2009..The purpose of this study was to compare the periapical healing of molar root canal treatment using two instrumentation techniques...
- In vitro evaluation of surface topographic changes and nickel release of lingual orthodontic archwiresCarlos Suarez
Division d Orthodontie, Section de Médecine Dentaire, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Geneve, rue Barthélemy Menn, 19, 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
J Mater Sci Mater Med 21:675-83. 2010The objective of the article is to study surface topographic changes and nickel release in lingual orthodontic archwires in vitro...
- Comparison between a novel nickel-titanium alloy and 508 nitinol on the cyclic fatigue life of ProFile 25/.04 rotary instrumentsEugenia Johnson
Department of Endodontics, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Health Professions Division, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33328, USA
J Endod 34:1406-9. 2008..Data were recorded for torque and angle at fracture. Statistical differences were found with nickel-titanium variant 1B (M-Wire NiTi) nearly 400% more resistant to cyclic fatigue than stock ProFile 25/.04 (P < ...
- Lung cancer risk associated with occupational exposure to nickel, chromium VI, and cadmium in two population-based case-control studies in MontrealRachelle Beveridge
Departement de Medecine sociale et preventive, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, QC, Canada
Am J Ind Med 53:476-85. 2010b>Nickel, chromium VI, and cadmium have been identified as lung carcinogens in highly exposed cohorts...
- Metal tolerating methylotrophic bacteria reduces nickel and cadmium toxicity and promotes plant growth of tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum L)M Madhaiyan
Department of Agricultural Chemistry, Chungbuk National University, Cheongju, Chungbuk 361 763, Republic of Korea
Chemosphere 69:220-8. 2007....
- Three-phase metal kinetics in terrestrial invertebrates exposed to high metal concentrationsRyszard Laskowski
Institute of Environmental Sciences, Jagiellonian University, Gronostajowa 7, 30 387 Krakow, Poland
Sci Total Environ 408:3794-802. 2010..Using nickel toxicokinetics in carabid beetles and earthworms as examples, we showed that Ni in fact exhibits a three-phase ..
- Cyclic fatigue and fracture characteristics of ground and twisted nickel-titanium rotary filesHyeon Cheol Kim
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry, Pusan National University, Busan, Korea
J Endod 36:147-52. 2010The purposes of this study were to compare the fatigue resistance of traditional, ground nickel-titanium rotary instruments with the Twisted File and to examine the fracture characteristics of the fatigued fragment.
- Structural and biological analysis of the metal sites of Escherichia coli hydrogenase accessory protein HypBAlistair V Dias
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biochemistry 47:11981-91. 2008..X-ray absorption spectroscopy of purified proteins was used to examine the detailed coordination spheres of each nickel-loaded site...
- Requirement of nickel metabolism proteins HypA and HypB for full activity of both hydrogenase and urease in Helicobacter pyloriJ W Olson
Department of Microbiology, 813 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Mol Microbiol 39:176-82. 2001The nickel-containing enzymes hydrogenase and urease require accessory proteins in order to incorporate properly the nickel atom(s) into the active sites...
- Efficacy, cleaning ability and safety of different rotary NiTi instruments in root canal retreatmentM Hulsmann
Department of Operative Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry and Periodontology, University of Gottingen, Gottingen, Germany
Int Endod J 37:468-76. 2004To evaluate the efficacy, cleaning ability and safety of three different rotary nickel-titanium instruments with and without a solvent (eucalyptol) versus hand files in the removal of gutta-percha root fillings.
- IL-23 and T(H)17-mediated inflammation in human allergic contact dermatitisJeppe Madura Larsen
Section of Experimental Immunology, Department of International Health, Immunology and Microbiology, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
J Allergy Clin Immunol 123:486-92. 2009..Recent studies have implicated T(H)17-mediated inflammation in the pathogenesis of human autoimmune diseases; however, the involvement of T(H)17 cells in allergic disorders remains largely elusive...
- Mechanisms of cytotoxicity of nickel ions based on gene expression profilesXiaoying Lu
State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Southeast University, Si Pailou 2, Nanjing 210096, PR China
Biomaterials 30:141-8. 2009..Ni(II) has extensive effects on cells by inhibiting cell proliferation and differentiation through inducing cell apoptosis, affecting cell development and influencing cholesterol metabolism...
- Occupational exposure to arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead and nickel, and renal cell carcinoma: a case-control study from Central and Eastern EuropePaolo Boffetta
International Prevention Research Institute, 95 cours Lafayette, Lyon 69006, France
Occup Environ Med 68:723-8. 2011..To investigate the risk of renal cell carcinoma (RCC) in Central and Eastern Europe in relation to exposure to known and suspected carcinogenic metals...
- Lifespan of one nickel-titanium rotary file with reciprocating motion in curved root canalsSung Yeop You
Department of Conservative Dentistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea
J Endod 36:1991-4. 2010The purpose of this study was to examine the lifespan of one nickel-titanium (NiTi) rotary file when used in reciprocating motion and to compare the time required for its preparation of a curved root canal using both reciprocating and ..
- Nickel release from new conventional stainless steel, recycled, and nickel-free orthodontic brackets: An in vitro studyMaria Francesca Sfondrini
Department of Orthodontics, University of Pavia, Italy
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 137:809-15. 2010The aim of this study was to compare the nickel released from 3 kinds of orthodontic brackets: new conventional stainless steel, recycled stainless steel, and nickel-free brackets.
- Interactive effect of calcium and gibberellin on nickel tolerance in relation to antioxidant systems in Triticum aestivum LManzer H Siddiqui
Department of Botany, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Protoplasma 248:503-11. 2011b>Nickel toxicity affects many metabolic facets of plants and induces anatomical and morphological changes resulting in reduced growth and productivity...
- The effect of ligation on the load deflection characteristics of nickel titanium orthodontic wireShugo Kasuya
Department of Orthodontic, Tsurumi University School of Dental Medicine, Yokohama, Japan
Eur J Orthod 29:578-82. 2007This study examined the effect of ligation on the load-deflection characteristics of nickel-titanium (NiTi) orthodontic wire...
- A nickel ABC-transporter of Staphylococcus aureus is involved in urinary tract infectionAurelia Hiron
UMR1319 MICALIS, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 78352 Jouy en Josas, France
Mol Microbiol 77:1246-60. 2010The oligopeptide transport systems Opp belong to the nickel/peptide/opine PepT subfamily of ABC-transporters. The opportunist pathogen Staphylococcus aureus encodes four putative Opps and one orphean substrate binding protein Opp5A...
- Genome-wide pathways analysis of nickel ion-induced differential genes expression in fibroblastsXiaoying Lu
State Key Laboratory of Bioelectronics, School of Biological Science and Medical Engineering, Southeast University, Nanjing, 210096 PR China
Biomaterials 31:1965-73. 2010..The routine of the present study not only can analyze gene expression profile but also may provide a more convenient and efficient approach to explain molecular mechanisms of cell-biomaterial interaction...
- Concentration of cadmium, nickel and aluminium in female breast cancerHanna Romanowicz-Makowska
Department of Pathology, Research Institute of Polish Mother s Memorial Hospital, Łódź, Poland
Pol J Pathol 62:257-61. 2011The aim of this study was to investigate the cadmium (Cd), nickel (Ni) and aluminium (Al) concentrations in female breast cancer and normal tissue.
- Metal allergic reaction in chronic refractory in-stent restenosisTaro Saito
Department of Cardiology, Fukuoka Wajiro Hospital, Higashi ku, Fukuoka City, Japan
Cardiovasc Revasc Med 10:17-22. 2009..This study examined the relationship between chronic refractory (CR) in-stent restenosis (ISR) and metal allergic reaction...
- Nickel exposure induces oxidative damage to mitochondrial DNA in Neuro2a cells: the neuroprotective roles of melatoninShang Cheng Xu
Department of Occupational Health, Third Military Medical University, Chongqing, China
J Pineal Res 51:426-33. 2011..studies suggest that oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction play important roles in the neurotoxicity of nickel. Because mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is highly vulnerable to oxidative stress and melatonin can efficiently protect ..
- The role of nickel accumulation and epithelial cell proliferation in orthodontic treatment-induced gingival overgrowthUlvi Kahraman Gursoy
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Helsinki University Institute of Dentistry, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Eur J Orthod 29:555-8. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate the role of nickel in orthodontic treatment-induced gingival hyperplasia...
- Rapid evolution towards heavy metal resistance by mountain birch around two subarctic copper-nickel smeltersJ K Eränen
Section of Ecology, Department of Biology, University of Turku, Finland
J Evol Biol 21:492-501. 2008..czerepanovii (Orlova) Hämet-Ahti] to heavy metal (HM) stress around two copper-nickel smelters in NW Russia...
- In vitro evaluation of the toxicity induced by nickel soluble and particulate forms in human airway epithelial cellsEfrat Forti
European Centre for the Validation of Alternative Methods, Institute for Health and Consumer Protection, European Commission Joint Research Centre, Ispra Va, Italy
Toxicol In Vitro 25:454-61. 2011Epidemiological studies show that exposure to nickel (Ni) compounds is associated with a variety of pulmonary adverse health effects, such as lung inflammation, fibrosis, emphysema and tumours...
- Nickel-mediated oxidative fluorination for PET with aqueous [18F] fluorideEunsung Lee
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Harvard University, 12 Oxford Street, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
J Am Chem Soc 134:17456-8. 2012A one-step oxidative fluorination for carbon-fluorine bond formation from well-defined nickel complexes with oxidant and aqueous fluoride is presented, which enables a straightforward and practical (18)F late-stage fluorination of complex ..
- Maternal nickel exposure and congenital musculoskeletal defectsArild Vaktskjold
Nordic School of Public Health, Goöteborg, Sweden a subsidiary of the Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen, Denmark
Am J Ind Med 51:825-33. 2008To investigate whether women occupationally exposed to nickel in early pregnancy are at elevated risk of delivering a newborn with a malformation or deformation of the musculoskeletal system (ICD-10: Q65-Q79).
- Effect of clinical use on the cyclic fatigue resistance of ProTaper nickel-titanium rotary instrumentsHani F Ounsi
Department of Endodontics, Saint Joseph University, Beirut, Lebanon
J Endod 33:737-41. 2007The resistance of ProTaper (Dentsply Maillefer, Ballaigues, Switzerland) nickel-titanium rotary instruments to cyclic fatigue was examined after their initial use in straight or curved canals in vivo...
- Nonenzymatic electrochemical detection of glucose using well-distributed nickel nanoparticles on straight multi-walled carbon nanotubesHuagui Nie
Nanomaterials and Chemistry Key Laboratory, College of Chemistry and Materials Engineering, Wenzhou University, Wenzhou, 325027, PR China
Biosens Bioelectron 30:28-34. 2011A nonenzymatic electrochemical sensor device was fabricated for glucose detection based on nickel nanoparticles (NiNPs)/straight multi-walled carbon nanotubes (SMWNTs) nanohybrids, which were synthesized through in situ precipitation ..
- Nickel sulfate induces location-dependent atrophy of mouse olfactory epithelium: protective and proliferative role of purinergic receptor activationCuihong Jia
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824, USA
Toxicol Sci 115:547-56. 2010Exposure to nickel sulfate (NiSO(4)) leads to impaired olfaction and anosmia through an unknown mechanism...
- Nickel oxide nanoparticles induce cytotoxicity, oxidative stress and apoptosis in cultured human cells that is abrogated by the dietary antioxidant curcuminMaqsood A Siddiqui
Department of Zoology, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Food Chem Toxicol 50:641-7. 2012b>Nickel oxide nanoparticles (NiO NPs) are increasingly utilized in a number of applications. However, little is known about the toxicity of NiO NPs following exposure to human cells...
- Urinary excretion levels of nickel in orthodontic patientsLuciane Macedo Menezes
Orthodontic Department, Pontifical Catholic University, Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 131:635-8. 2007b>Nickel, a primary component of orthodontic appliances, causes more allergic reactions than all other metals combined and can initiate a wide range of hypersensitivity reactions in susceptible subjects...
- The soluble nickel component of residual oil fly ash alters pulmonary host defense in ratsJenny R Roberts
Health Effects Laboratory Division, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, and West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26505, USA
J Immunotoxicol 6:49-61. 2009..Soluble Ni is likely the primary metal involved in the increased susceptibility to infection observed in rats exposed to the soluble metals of ROFA...
- AtIRT1, the primary iron uptake transporter in the root, mediates excess nickel accumulation in Arabidopsis thalianaSho Nishida
Graduate School of Bioresources, Mie University, Kurimamachiya cho 1577, Tsu, Mie, 514 8507 Japan
Plant Cell Physiol 52:1433-42. 2011b>Nickel (Ni) is an essential nutrient for plants, but excessive amounts can be toxic. Ni competes with iron (Fe) in vivo, raising the possibility that Ni is competitively taken up via the Fe uptake system in plants...
- Blood and urine cadmium and bioelements profile in nickel-cadmium battery workers in SerbiaZ Plamenac Bulat
Institute of Toxicology Academic Danilo Soldatović, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Serbia
Toxicol Ind Health 25:129-35. 2009Although cadmium (Cd) is extensively used for nickel-cadmium battery production, few recent reports are available on the effect of this toxic metal on the imbalance of biometals in occupational exposure...
- Depletion of intracellular ascorbate by the carcinogenic metals nickel and cobalt results in the induction of hypoxic stressKonstantin Salnikow
NCI Frederick, National Institutes of Health, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Biol Chem 279:40337-44. 2004Exposure of cells to carcinogenic compounds of nickel(II) and cobalt(II) causes activation of the HIF-1 transcription factor and up-regulates a battery of hypoxia-inducible genes...
- Dietary chromium and nickel enhance UV-carcinogenesis in skin of hairless miceAhmed N Uddin
Nelson Institute of Environmental Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 57 Old Forge Road, Tuxedo, NY 10987, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 221:329-38. 2007The skin cancer enhancing effect of chromium (in male mice) and nickel in UVR-irradiated female Skh1 mice was investigated. The dietary vitamin E and selenomethionine were tested for prevention of chromium-enhanced skin carcinogenesis...
- Metallic haptens induce differential phenotype of human dendritic cells through activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase and NF-kappaB pathwaysDiane Antonios
Univ Paris Sud, INSERM UMR S 749, Faculte de Pharmacie, 5 Rue Jean Baptiste Clement, 92296 Chatenay Malabry, France
Toxicol In Vitro 23:227-34. 2009..Our results show that both NiSO(4) and CoCl(2) activate similar signaling pathways that are playing different roles in DC maturation depending on the hapten used...
- Elevated serum concentrations of cobalt, chromium, nickel, and manganese after metal-on-metal alloarthroplasty of the hip: a prospective randomized studyHenrik Dahlstrand
Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery, Section of Orthopaedics, Karolinska Institute, Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
J Arthroplasty 24:837-45. 2009..3-fold (95% confidence interval [CI], 9.4-21.2); chromium, 5.2-fold (CI, 3.5-7.0); nickel, 2.1-fold (CI, 1.2-3.0); and manganese, 1.6-fold (CI, 1.3-2.0)...
- MrdH, a novel metal resistance determinant of Pseudomonas putida KT2440, is flanked by metal-inducible mobile genetic elementsAdhikarla Haritha
Department of Biochemistry, Osmania University, Hyderabad, India
J Bacteriol 191:5976-87. 2009..The metal resistance function of mrdH was identified by the ability to confer nickel resistance upon its complementation into rcnA mutant (a nickel- and cobalt-sensitive mutant) of Escherichia coli...
- Ni(II) activates the Nrf2 signaling pathway in human monocytic cellsJill B Lewis
Department of Oral Biology and Maxillofacial Pathology, AD1417, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA 30912 1126, USA
Biomaterials 27:5348-56. 2006b>Nickel is a component of biomedical alloys that is released during corrosion and causes inflammation in tissues by as yet unknown mechanisms...
- Nickel homeostasis in Escherichia coli - the rcnR-rcnA efflux pathway and its linkage to NikR functionJeffrey S Iwig
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mol Microbiol 62:252-62. 2006The nickel physiology of Escherichia coli is dominated by its Ni-Fe hydrogenase isozymes, which are expressed under anaerobic growth conditions. Hydrogenase activity in E...
- The N-terminal arm of the Helicobacter pylori Ni2+-dependent transcription factor NikR is required for specific DNA bindingErin L Benanti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Biol Chem 282:20365-75. 2007..arm is highly variable among NikR family members, and these results suggest that it is an adaptable structural feature that can tune the regulatory capabilities of NikR to the nickel physiology of the microbe in which it is found.
- Hypoxia and nickel inhibit histone demethylase JMJD1A and repress Spry2 expression in human bronchial epithelial BEAS-2B cellsHaobin Chen
Department of Environmental Medicine, New York University of School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Carcinogenesis 31:2136-44. 2010..Previously, we reported that both hypoxia and nickel (an environmental carcinogen) increased global histone H3 lysine 9 methylation in cells through inhibiting a novel ..
- Hydrogenases from methanogenic archaea, nickel, a novel cofactor, and H2 storageRudolf K Thauer
Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Annu Rev Biochem 79:507-36. 2010..Under conditions of nickel limitation, some methanogens synthesize a nickel-independent [Fe]-hydrogenase (instead of F(420)-reducing [NiFe]-..
- The Helicobacter pylori GroES cochaperonin HspA functions as a specialized nickel chaperone and sequestration protein through its unique C-terminal extensionKristine Schauer
Institut Pasteur, Unité Postulante Pathogenèse de Helicobacter, 28, rue du Docteur Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Bacteriol 192:1231-7. 2010The transition metal nickel plays a central role in the human gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori because it is required for two enzymes indispensable for colonization, the nickel metalloenzyme urease and [NiFe] hydrogenase...
- Investigating heavy-metal hyperaccumulation using Thlaspi caerulescens as a model systemMatthew J Milner
Robert W Holley Center for Agriculture and Health, USDA ARS, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Ann Bot 102:3-13. 2008..widely studied for its remarkable properties to tolerate toxic levels of zinc (Zn), cadmium (Cd) and sometimes nickel (Ni) in the soil, and accumulate these metals to very high levels in the shoot...
- T cell receptor (TCR) interaction with haptens: metal ions as non-classical haptensHermann Josef Thierse
Max Planck Institut fur Immunbiologie, Stubeweg 51, D 79108 Freiburg, Germany
Toxicology 209:101-7. 2005..However, the most common contact sensitizer in the industrialized world is nickel. In contrast to classical haptens, nickel ions do not form covalent bonds to proteins, but rather become caught in ..
- NreB from Achromobacter xylosoxidans 31A Is a nickel-induced transporter conferring nickel resistanceG Grass
Department of Soil, Water, and Environmental Science, University of Arizona, Tucson 85721, USA
J Bacteriol 183:2803-7. 2001There are two distinct nickel resistance loci on plasmid pTOM9 from Achromobacter xylosoxidans 31A, ncc and nre. Expression of the nreB gene was specifically induced by nickel and conferred nickel resistance on both A...
- Requirement of hydD, hydE, hypC and hypE genes for hydrogenase activity in Helicobacter pyloriStephane Benoit
Department of Microbiology, 812 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Microb Pathog 36:153-7. 2004Helicobacter pylori possesses a membrane-bound, nickel containing, hydrogen uptake hydrogenase enzyme; its synthesis requires structural as well as accessory proteins, the latter needed for the complete maturation of the enzyme...
- Wear of nickel-titanium endodontic instruments evaluated by scanning electron microscopy: effect of ion implantationE Rapisarda
Dental School, University of Catania, Italy
J Endod 27:588-92. 2001The present work analyzes possible increases in resistance to wear of nickel-titanium endodontic instruments that have undergone a process of ionic implantation. ProFile ...
- Developmental neurotoxicants target neurodifferentiation into the serotonin phenotype: Chlorpyrifos, diazinon, dieldrin and divalent nickelTheodore A Slotkin
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology Box 3813, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 233:211-9. 2008....
- The K3 rotary nickel-titanium file systemRichard E Mounce
Private Practice, 511 Southwest 10th Avenue, No 1108, Portland, OR 97205, USA
Dent Clin North Am 48:137-57. 2004The K3 rotary nickel-titanium file system by SybronEndo is a state-of-the-art rotary nickel-titanium endodontic instrumentation method combines excellent cutting characteristics with a robust sense of tactile control and excellent ..
- Lung cancer mortality in UK nickel-cadmium battery workers, 1947-2000T Sorahan
Institute of Occupational Health, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TT, UK
Occup Environ Med 61:108-16. 2004To investigate mortality from lung cancer in nickel-cadmium battery workers in relation to cumulative exposure to cadmium hydroxide.
- Inhibition of Na/Ca exchange by external Ni in guinea-pig ventricular myocytes at 37 degrees C, dialysed internally with cAMP-free and cAMP-containing solutionsA K Hinde
Cardiovascular Research Laboratories, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, UK
Cell Calcium 25:321-31. 1999..External Nickel (Ni) ions are used widely to inhibit the exchange but little is known about the mode of Ni action...
- Constitutively high expression of the histidine biosynthetic pathway contributes to nickel tolerance in hyperaccumulator plantsRobert A Ingle
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3RB, United Kingdom
Plant Cell 17:2089-106. 2005..These results suggest that ATP-PRT expression plays a major role in regulating the pool of free His and contributes to the exceptional Ni tolerance of hyperaccumulator Alyssum species...
- Soluble nickel inhibits HIF-prolyl-hydroxylases creating persistent hypoxic signaling in A549 cellsTodd L Davidson
Nelson Institute of Environmental Medicine, New York University, School of Medicine, Tuxedo, New York 10987, USA
Mol Carcinog 45:479-89. 2006Soluble nickel compounds are carcinogenic to humans although the mechanism by which they cause cancer remains unclear...
- Protein kinase C is a target for diverse developmental neurotoxicants: transcriptional responses to chlorpyrifos, diazinon, dieldrin and divalent nickel in PC12 cellsTheodore A Slotkin
Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Brain Res 1263:23-32. 2009..These results further show how combined use of cell cultures and microarray technology can guide future in vivo work on diverse developmental neurotoxicants...
- Relationships of nicotianamine and other amino acids with nickel, zinc and iron in Thlaspi hyperaccumulatorsDamien L Callahan
School of Chemistry, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
New Phytol 176:836-48. 2007..Closely-related nickel (Ni)- and zinc (Zn)-hyperaccumulating species were studied to determine whether a correlation exists between the ..
- Influence of deep dry cryogenic treatment on cutting efficiency and wear resistance of nickel-titanium rotary endodontic instrumentsThilla Sekar Vinothkumar
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Meenakshi Ammal Dental College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India
J Endod 33:1355-8. 2007This study tested the effect of cryogenic treatment on nickel-titanium (NiTi) endodontic instruments. Ten rotary NiTi instruments (ProFile 30, 0...
- Corrosion resistance, surface mechanical properties, and cytocompatibility of plasma immersion ion implantation-treated nickel-titanium shape memory alloysK W K Yeung
Division of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Queen Mary Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong, 5 F Professorial Block, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Biomed Mater Res A 75:256-67. 2005b>Nickel-titanium shape memory alloys are promising materials in orthopedic applications because of their unique properties...
- Characteristics of a nickel-albumin binding assay for assessment of myocardial ischaemiaSandra Huber da Silva
Programa de Pós Graduação em Ciências Farmacêuticas, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade Federal de Santa Maria, Santa Maria, RS, Brazil
Biomarkers 15:353-7. 2010The aim of this study was to describe a method to measure ischaemia-induced alterations of the binding capacity of serum albumin to exogenous nickel.
- Surface mechanical properties, corrosion resistance, and cytocompatibility of nitrogen plasma-implanted nickel-titanium alloys: a comparative study with commonly used medical grade materialsK W K Yeung
Division of Spine Surgery, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, Pokfulam, Hong Kong
J Biomed Mater Res A 82:403-14. 2007Stainless steel and titanium alloys are the most common metallic orthopedic materials. Recently, nickel-titanium (NiTi) shape memory alloys have attracted much attention due to their shape memory effect and super-elasticity...
- Sequence-specific binding of DNA and RNA to immobilized Nickel ionsBranislav Nastasijevic
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 366:420-5. 2008Immobilization of divalent Nickel cations provides a tool for affinity purification of proteins containing hexahistidine tags...
- Nickel release behavior, cytocompatibility, and superelasticity of oxidized porous single-phase NiTiShuilin Wu
Department of Physics and Materials Science, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
J Biomed Mater Res A 81:948-55. 2007..and larger area of porous NiTi compared to dense NiTi make it more vulnerable from the viewpoint of release of nickel, which can cause deleterious effects in the human body...
- Nickel deficiency gives rise to the defective hydrogenase phenotype of hydC and fnr mutants in Escherichia coliL F Wu
Laboratoire de Microbiologie, CNRS, INSA, Villeurbanne, France
Mol Microbiol 3:1709-18. 1989..activity and other hydrogenase-related functions can be restored to hydC mutants by the specific addition of nickel salts to the growth medium...
- Toxic response of nickel nanoparticles in human lung epithelial A549 cellsMaqusood Ahamed
King Abdullah Institute for Nanotechnology, King Saud University, P O Box 2454, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
Toxicol In Vitro 25:930-6. 2011b>Nickel nanoparticle (Ni NP) is increasingly used in modern industries such as catalysts, sensors and electronic applications. Due to wide-spread industrial applications the inhalation is the primary source of exposure to Ni NPs...
- Direct observation of triple ions in aqueous solutions of nickel(II) sulfate: a molecular link between the gas phase and bulk behaviorDetlef Schröder
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, vvi, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic
J Am Chem Soc 133:2444-51. 2011Electrospray ionization of an aqueous solution of nickel(II) sulfate provides direct experimental evidence for the formation of triple ions of the type [Ni(2)(SO(4))(H(2)O)(n)](2+) and [Ni(SO(4))(2)](2-), whose existence in aqueous ..
- UREASE AND GENE EXPRESSION OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 2007..b>Nickel ions are now recognized as a critical cofactor required for catalytic activity of urease and are necessary for ..
- Ultraprecision Diamond Machining of Conventional Non-Diamond Machinable MaterialsGang Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2007..It cannot machine many important materials such as ferrous alloys, stainless steel, titanium and nickel due to catastrophic diamond tool wear...
- BIOLOGICALLY RELATED IRON-SULFUR CHEMISTRYRICHARD HADLEY HOLM; Fiscal Year: 2010..understanding of biologically relevant cluster clusters containing iron, sulfur, and molybdenum, vanadium, or nickel, various types of which are found at all levels of life...
- T CELLS IN LUNG INFLAMMATIONPeter Kao; Fiscal Year: 2000..Histidine-tagged proteins in nuclear extracts are affinity-purified on nickel chelate affinity columns...
- Vaccinia Proteome Affinity Reagents From Phage DisplayPhilip Felgner; Fiscal Year: 2005..The individual proteins will be coated onto separate wells of either nickel, or anti-HA coated 96-well plates, and the plates will be used to scan the phage display libraries for high ..
- IN VITRO INVESTIGATION OF SLIDING MECHANICSRobert Kusy; Fiscal Year: 2002..materials (titanium brackets and composite archwires) and conventional orthodontic materials (stainless steel, nickel-titanium, beta-titanium, polycrystalline alumina, and single crystal sapphire) will be measured...
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF A LEAD/CADMIUM/ZINC ATPASEBharati Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2007..These pumps maintain homeostasis of essential trace metals like copper, zinc, cobalt and nickel, and mediate resistance to toxic metals such as lead, cadmium and silver...
- X-RAY ABSORPTION SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOENZYMESRobert Scott; Fiscal Year: 1993..Examples of all known types of nickel-containing enzymes, including jackbean urease, Klebsiella aerogenes urease, Desulfovibrio gigas (NiFe) hydrogenase,..
- Carcinogenesis of Nickel and Epigenetic ControlMax Costa; Fiscal Year: 2010..The affinity constant of nickel ions binding to this JmjC facial triad is predicted to be at least 3 orders of magnitude greater than that of Fe...
- Carcinogenesis of Nickel and Epigenetic ControlMax Costa; Fiscal Year: 2007..The affinity constant of nickel ions binding to this JmjC facial triad is predicted to be at least 3 orders of magnitude greater than that of Fe...
- DNA Damage and Tobacco-Induced Lung CancerERIC MOON SHONG TANG; Fiscal Year: 2009..We recently found that nickel, chromium, and lipid peroxidation metabolites can greatly reduce cellular DNA repair capacity...
- DNA Damage and Tobacco-Induced Lung CancerERIC MOON SHONG TANG; Fiscal Year: 2007..We recently found that nickel, chromium, and lipid peroxidation metabolites can greatly reduce cellular DNA repair capacity...
- UREASE AND GENE EXPRESSION OF HELICOBACTER PYLORIHARRY MOBLEY; Fiscal Year: 2003..A rough topological model for the insertion of NixA, the high affinity nickel transport protein, into the cytoplasmic membrane has been established and we have identified 12 amino acid ..
- FUNCTIONAL ANALYSIS OF A LEAD/CADMIUM/ZINC ATPASEBharati Mitra; Fiscal Year: 2010..These pumps maintain homeostasis of essential trace metals like copper, zinc, cobalt and nickel, and mediate resistance to toxic metals such as lead, cadmium and silver...
- Nickel Metabolism in Helicobacter pyloriRobert Maier; Fiscal Year: 2006..Two nickel-containing enzymes, urease and hydrogenase, are important for the bacterium's mucosal-colonizing abilities...
- CARCINOGENESIS OF ENVIRONMENTALLY RELEVANT NI COMPOUNDSMax Costa; Fiscal Year: 2005In the past several years we have demonstrated that carcinogenic nickel compounds inactivate g ne expression by enhancing DNA methylation and inhibiting histone acetylation...
- REGULATORY MECHANISMS IN THE IMMUNE SYSTEMJohn Kappler; Fiscal Year: 2007T cell mediated metal hypersensitivity is wide spread in the human population. Two examples are hypersensitivity to nickel (Ni) often associated with exposure to Ni contained jewelry and to beryllium (Be) a common problem in the ..
- BIOINORGANIC CHEMISTRY OF CARBON MONOXIDE DEHYDROGENASEPAUL LINDAHL; Fiscal Year: 2009..This oxygen-sensitive bifunctional enzyme contains two nickel-iron-sulfur cluster active-sites which are unique in biology...
- Long Term Cardiovascular Effects of Inhaled NanoparticlesLung Chi Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three different nanoparticles will be used to test the hypothesis, nickel, titanium, and carbon...