Genomes and Genes
Summary: Lithium. An element in the alkali metals family. It has the atomic symbol Li, atomic number 3, and atomic weight 6.94. Salts of lithium are used in treating manic-depressive disorders.
Articles from Journal RESEARCH
Articles from Journal RESEARCH1
Publications361 found, 100 shown here
- GSK-3alpha regulates production of Alzheimer's disease amyloid-beta peptidesChristopher J Phiel
Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology Oncology and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Philadelphia 19104 6148, USA
Nature 423:435-9. 2003..Here we show that therapeutic concentrations of lithium, a GSK-3 inhibitor, block the production of Abeta peptides by interfering with APP cleavage at the gamma-..
- Lithium induces autophagy by inhibiting inositol monophosphataseSovan Sarkar
Department of Medical Genetics, University of Cambridge, Cambridge Institute for Medical Research, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge CB2 2XY, England, UK
J Cell Biol 170:1101-11. 2005..Here we describe a novel mTOR-independent pathway that regulates autophagy. We show that lithium induces autophagy, and thereby, enhances the clearance of autophagy substrates, like mutant huntingtin and alpha-..
- Metal oxide hollow nanostructures for lithium-ion batteriesZhiyu Wang
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore
Adv Mater 24:1903-11. 2012..As electrode materials for lithium-ion batteries (LIBs), metal oxide hollow structures provide high specific capacity, superior rate capability, and ..
- Expression profile of microRNAs in rat hippocampus following lithium-pilocarpine-induced status epilepticusKai Hu
Department of Neurology, Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, Hunan 410008, PR China
Neurosci Lett 488:252-7. 2011....
- Building better batteriesM Armand
LRCS, CNRS UMR 6007, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
Nature 451:652-7. 2008
- Inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 by lithium correlates with reduced tauopathy and degeneration in vivoWendy Noble
Center for Dementia Research, Nathan S Kline Institute, New York University, 140 Old Orangeburg Road, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:6990-5. 2005..mice overexpressing mutant human tau were treated with the glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) inhibitor lithium chloride. Treatment resulted in significant inhibition of GSK-3 activity...
- Lithium, an anti-psychotic drug, greatly enhances the generation of induced pluripotent stem cellsQuan Wang
State Key Laboratory of Drug Research, The National Center for Drug Screening, Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 201203, China
Cell Res 21:1424-35. 2011..Here we report that Lithium (Li), a drug used to treat mood disorders, greatly enhances iPSC generation from both mouse embryonic fibroblast ..
- Lithium antagonizes dopamine-dependent behaviors mediated by an AKT/glycogen synthase kinase 3 signaling cascadeJean Martin Beaulieu
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Cell Biology and Center for Models of Human Disease, Institute of Genome Sciences and Policy, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:5099-104. 2004..Administration of lithium salts is known to inhibit DA-associated behaviors in experimental animal models through unknown mechanisms...
- Graphene-wrapped sulfur particles as a rechargeable lithium-sulfur battery cathode material with high capacity and cycling stabilityHailiang Wang
Department of Chemistry, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, United States
Nano Lett 11:2644-7. 2011..The resulting graphene-sulfur composite showed high and stable specific capacities up to ∼600 mAh/g over more than 100 cycles, representing a promising cathode material for rechargeable lithium batteries with high energy density.
- Porous iron oxide ribbons grown on graphene for high-performance lithium storageShubin Yang
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Ackermannweg 10, D 55128 Mainz, Germany
Sci Rep 2:427. 2012..of transition metal oxides has been regarded as a key to solve their problems of large volume changes during lithium insertion-desertion processes which are associated with pulverization of the electrodes and rapid capacity decay...
- Lithium perturbation and goosecoid expression identify a dorsal specification pathway in the pregastrula zebrafishS E Stachel
Department of Human Genetics, University of Utah, Salt Lake City 84112
Development 117:1261-74. 1993..First, we show that brief exposure of premidblastula embryos to lithium, which is known to shut down the phospho-inositol signaling pathway, produces excessive shield formation and ..
- Lithium toxicity profile: a systematic review and meta-analysisRebecca F McKnight
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford, UK
Lancet 379:721-8. 2012b>Lithium is a widely used and effective treatment for mood disorders. There has been concern about its safety but no adequate synthesis of the evidence for adverse effects...
- A survey of genomic studies supports association of circadian clock genes with bipolar disorder spectrum illnesses and lithium responseMichael J McCarthy
Veterans Affairs San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, United Sates of America
PLoS ONE 7:e32091. 2012..Then we compared the results to a set of lithium-responsive genes...
- High-performance lithium battery anodes using silicon nanowiresCandace K Chan
Nat Nanotechnol 3:31-5. 2008There is great interest in developing rechargeable lithium batteries with higher energy capacity and longer cycle life for applications in portable electronic devices, electric vehicles and implantable medical devices...
- Interconnected silicon hollow nanospheres for lithium-ion battery anodes with long cycle lifeYan Yao
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California 94305, United States
Nano Lett 11:2949-54. 2011Silicon is a promising candidate for the anode material in lithium-ion batteries due to its high theoretical specific capacity...
- Lithium: still a major option in the management of bipolar disorderRasmus W Licht
Mood Disorders Research Unit, Aarhus University Hospital, Risskov, Risskov, Denmark
CNS Neurosci Ther 18:219-26. 2012Still after more than 50 years, lithium is a major treatment of bipolar disorder, even though it has not been promoted by the pharmaceutical industry over the last decades...
- Renal failure occurs in chronic lithium treatment but is uncommonHans Bendz
Department of Psychiatry, Lund University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Kidney Int 77:219-24. 2010We sought to establish the prevalence of lithium-induced end-stage renal disease in two regions of Sweden with 2.7 million inhabitants corresponding to about 30% of the Swedish population...
- Chronic lithium treatment decreases tau lesions by promoting ubiquitination in a mouse model of tauopathiesHanae Nakashima
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Okayama University Graduate School of Medicine and Dentistry, 700 8558, Okayama, Japan
Acta Neuropathol 110:547-56. 2005b>Lithium, a widely used drug for treating affective disorders, is known to inhibit glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3), which is one of the major tau kinases...
- Lithium induces clearance of protease resistant prion protein in prion-infected cells by induction of autophagyAndreas Heiseke
Institute of Virology, Technische Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
J Neurochem 109:25-34. 2009b>Lithium is used for several decades to treat manic-depressive illness (bipolar affective disorder)...
- Virus-enabled synthesis and assembly of nanowires for lithium ion battery electrodesKi Tae Nam
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 312:885-8. 2006..shown excellent electrochemical cycling properties and is thus under consideration as an electrode for advanced lithium batteries. We used viruses to synthesize and assemble nanowires of cobalt oxide at room temperature...
- Synergistic neuroprotective effects of lithium and valproic acid or other histone deacetylase inhibitors in neurons: roles of glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibitionYan Leng
Molecular Neurobiology Section, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1363, USA
J Neurosci 28:2576-88. 2008b>Lithium and valproic acid (VPA) are two primary drugs used to treat bipolar mood disorder and have frequently been used in combination to treat bipolar patients resistant to monotherapy with either drug...
- Inhibitory phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) in response to lithium. Evidence for autoregulation of GSK-3Fang Zhang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6148, USA
J Biol Chem 278:33067-77. 2003Glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) is a critical, negative regulator of diverse signaling pathways. Lithium is a direct inhibitor of GSK-3 and has been widely used to test the putative role of GSK-3 in multiple settings...
- Lithium regulates adult hippocampal progenitor development through canonical Wnt pathway activationE M Wexler
Department of Psychiatry, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90024 1759, USA
Mol Psychiatry 13:285-92. 2008..We demonstrate that the mood stabilizer lithium directly expands pools of AHPs in vitro, and induces them to become neurons at therapeutically relevant ..
- Chronic lithium administration to FTDP-17 tau and GSK-3beta overexpressing mice prevents tau hyperphosphorylation and neurofibrillary tangle formation, but pre-formed neurofibrillary tangles do not revertTobias Engel
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Neurochem 99:1445-55. 2006..b>Lithium, a widely used drug for affective disorders, inhibits GSK-3 at therapeutically relevant concentrations...
- Lithium, a common drug for bipolar disorder treatment, regulates amyloid-beta precursor protein processingYuan Su
Lilly Research Laboratories, Indianapolis, Indiana 46285, USA
Biochemistry 43:6899-908. 2004b>Lithium is one of the most widely used mood-stabilizing agents for the treatment of bipolar disorder...
- Pharmacogenetics of lithium response in bipolar disorderMichael J McCarthy
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Pharmacogenomics 11:1439-65. 2010Bipolar disorder (BD) is a serious mental illness with well-established, but poorly characterized genetic risk. Lithium is among the best proven mood stabilizer therapies for BD, but treatment responses vary considerably...
- A common mechanism of action for three mood-stabilizing drugsRobin S B Williams
Intracellular Signalling Group, MRC Laboratory for Molecular Cell Biology, University College London, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Nature 417:292-5. 2002b>Lithium, carbamazepine and valproic acid are effective mood-stabilizing treatments for bipolar affective disorder. The molecular mechanisms underlying the actions of these drugs and the illness itself are unknown...
- Combined treatment with the mood stabilizers lithium and valproate produces multiple beneficial effects in transgenic mouse models of Huntington's diseaseChi Tso Chiu
Section on Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1363, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 36:2406-21. 2011Emerging evidence suggests that the mood stabilizers lithium and valproate (VPA) have broad neuroprotective and neurotrophic properties, and that these occur via inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK-3) and histone deacetylases (..
- Excellent lithium responders have normal cognitive functions and plasma BDNF levelsJanusz K Rybakowski
Department of Adult Psychiatry, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Poznan, Poland
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 13:617-22. 2010In bipolar patients, neuropsychological and biochemical disturbances persist into the remission period. Excellent lithium responders (ELRs) comprise around one third of lithium-treated patients and have total remission of recurrences on ..
- Graphene anchored with co(3)o(4) nanoparticles as anode of lithium ion batteries with enhanced reversible capacity and cyclic performanceZhong Shuai Wu
Shenyang National Laboratory for Materials Science, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 72 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, People s Republic of China
ACS Nano 4:3187-94. 2010..of Co(3)O(4) nanoparticles anchored on conducting graphene as an advanced anode material for high-performance lithium-ion batteries...
- Formation of Fe2O3 microboxes with hierarchical shell structures from metal-organic frameworks and their lithium storage propertiesLei Zhang
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637457, Singapore
J Am Chem Soc 134:17388-91. 2012..When evaluated as an anode material for lithium ion batteries, the Fe(2)O(3) microboxes with a well-defined hollow structure and hierarchical shell manifested ..
- Synthesis of a metallic mesoporous pyrochlore as a catalyst for lithium–O2 batteriesSi Hyoung Oh
University of Waterloo, Department of Chemistry, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Nat Chem 4:1004-10. 2012The lithium–O2 ‘semi-fuel’ cell based on the reversible reaction of Li and O2 to form Li2O2 can theoretically provide energy densities that exceed those of Li-ion cells by up to a factor of five...
- CoMn(2)O(4) spinel hierarchical microspheres assembled with porous nanosheets as stable anodes for lithium-ion batteriesLin Hu
Hefei National Laboratory for Physical Sciences at Microscale and Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei, 230026, PR China
Sci Rep 2:986. 2012..As a result, CoMn(2)O(4) hierarchical microspheres can achieve a good cycle ability and high rate capability...
- Hierarchical three-dimensional ZnCo₂O₄ nanowire arrays/carbon cloth anodes for a novel class of high-performance flexible lithium-ion batteriesBin Liu
Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics and College of Optoelectronic Science and Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
Nano Lett 12:3005-11. 2012..Highly flexible full batteries were also fabricated, exhibiting high flexibility, excellent electrical stability, and superior electrochemical performances...
- Platinum-gold nanoparticles: a highly active bifunctional electrocatalyst for rechargeable lithium-air batteriesYi Chun Lu
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
J Am Chem Soc 132:12170-1. 2010..It is hypothesized that PtAu NPs exhibit bifunctional catalytic activity, having surface Au and Pt atoms primarily responsible for ORR and OER kinetics in Li-O(2) cells, respectively...
- Lithium reduced neural progenitor apoptosis in the hippocampus and ameliorated functional deficits after irradiation to the immature mouse brainKaiming Huo
Center for Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
Mol Cell Neurosci 51:32-42. 2012b>Lithium was recently shown to inhibit apoptosis and promote survival of neural progenitor cells after hypoxia-ischemia in the immature rat brain...
- Lithium-induced nephropathy: Rate of progression and prognostic factorsClaire Presne
AP HP, Hopital Necker, Service de Néphrologie et Université Paris V, Paris, France
Kidney Int 64:585-92. 2003Long-term lithium administration in humans may lead to chronic tubulointerstitial nephritis, which develops very slowly. Its progression to end-stage renal disease (ESRD) has been rarely reported...
- Lithium use and the risk of fracturesIngeborg Wilting
Utrecht University, Faculty of Science, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Bone 40:1252-8. 2007A recent study reported a decreased risk of fractures among lithium users...
- Lithium reduces apoptosis and autophagy after neonatal hypoxia-ischemiaQ Li
Center for Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Cell Death Dis 1:e56. 2010b>Lithium is used in the treatment of bipolar mood disorder. Reportedly, lithium can be neuroprotective in models of adult brain ischemia...
- Electronically conductive phospho-olivines as lithium storage electrodesSung Yoon Chung
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Nat Mater 1:123-8. 2002b>Lithium transition metal phosphates have become of great interest as storage cathodes for rechargeable lithium batteries because of their high energy density, low raw materials cost, environmental friendliness and safety...
- Synthesis of nitrogen-doped graphene films for lithium battery applicationArava Leela Mohana Reddy
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, Rice University, Houston, Texas 77005, United States
ACS Nano 4:6337-42. 2010..Direct growth of active electrode material on current collector substrates makes this a feasible and efficient process for integration into current battery manufacture technology...
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled efficacy and safety study of quetiapine or lithium as monotherapy for mania in bipolar disorderCharles L Bowden
Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:111-21. 2005..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of quetiapine monotherapy versus placebo for the treatment of mania associated with bipolar disorder...
- Lithium and dementia: a preliminary studyTakeshi Terao
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Oita, Japan
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:1125-8. 2006Recent studies have shown that lithium may block the accumulation of amyloid-beta (Abeta) peptides and to inhibit the hyperphosphorylation of tau via the inhibition of GSK-3alpha in the brain of mice...
- Requirement for glycogen synthase kinase-3beta in cell survival and NF-kappaB activationK P Hoeflich
Ontario Cancer Institute Princess Margaret Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Nature 406:86-90. 2000..b>Lithium treatment (which inhibits GSK-3; refs 8, 9) sensitized wild-type fibroblasts to TNF and inhibited transactivation ..
- Molecular actions and therapeutic potential of lithium in preclinical and clinical studies of CNS disordersChi Tso Chiu
Molecular Neurobiology Section, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive MSC 1363, Bethesda, MD 20892 1363, USA
Pharmacol Ther 128:281-304. 2010b>Lithium has been used clinically to treat bipolar disorder for over half a century, and remains a fundamental pharmacological therapy for patients with this illness...
- Lithium and valproic acid: parallels and contrasts in diverse signaling contextsNadia Gurvich
Graduate Group in Pharmacological Sciences, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Pharmacol Ther 96:45-66. 2002The introduction of lithium salts to treat bipolar disorder (BPD) revolutionized the therapy of psychiatric illnesses, but the pathogenesis of the disease and the mechanism of lithium action remain unknown...
- CREB DNA binding activity is inhibited by glycogen synthase kinase-3 beta and facilitated by lithiumC A Grimes
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0017, USA
J Neurochem 78:1219-32. 2001The regulatory influences of glycogen synthase kinase-3 beta (GSK3 beta) and lithium on the activity of cyclic AMP response element binding protein (CREB) were examined in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells...
- Fabricating genetically engineered high-power lithium-ion batteries using multiple virus genesYun Jung Lee
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Science 324:1051-5. 2009..For lithium-ion (Li+) batteries, reducing material dimensions can boost Li+ ion and electron transfer in nanostructured ..
- Molecular targets of lithium actionC J Phiel
Department of Medicine and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 USA
Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 41:789-813. 2001b>Lithium is highly effective in the treatment of bipolar disorder and also has multiple effects on embryonic development, glycogen synthesis, hematopoiesis, and other processes. However, the mechanism of lithium action is still unclear...
- Lithium in the prevention of suicidal behavior and all-cause mortality in patients with mood disorders: a systematic review of randomized trialsAndrea Cipriani
Department of Psychiatry, University of Oxford, Warneford Hospital, Oxford OX3 7JX, UK
Am J Psychiatry 162:1805-19. 2005Observational studies suggest that long-term lithium treatment has a strong antisuicidal effect in mood disorders, but it is uncertain whether this association is a genuine therapeutic effect or is due to confounding factors in ..
- Lithium selectively increases neuronal differentiation of hippocampal neural progenitor cells both in vitro and in vivoJin Seuk Kim
Department of Biochemistry, Hanyang University College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Neurochem 89:324-36. 2004b>Lithium has been demonstrated to increase neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of rodent hippocampus...
- Lithium improves hippocampal neurogenesis, neuropathology and cognitive functions in APP mutant miceAnna Fiorentini
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e14382. 2010..Adult hippocampal neurogenesis plays an important role in learning and memory processes and its abnormal regulation might account for cognitive impairments associated with AD...
- The mood-stabilizing agents lithium and valproate robustly increase the levels of the neuroprotective protein bcl-2 in the CNSG Chen
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Neurochem 72:879-82. 1999..of mRNA was used to identify concordant changes in gene expression induced by two mood-stabilizing agents, lithium and valproate (VPA)...
- E3 ligases Arf-bp1 and Pam mediate lithium-stimulated degradation of the circadian heme receptor Rev-erb alphaLei Yin
Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:11614-9. 2010..Bmal1 Rev-erb alpha protein degradation can be triggered by inhibitors of glycogen synthase kinase 3beta, such as lithium, and also by serum shock, which synchronizes circadian rhythms in cultured cells...
- Lithium inhibits cell cycle progression and induces stabilization of p53 in bovine aortic endothelial cellsC D Mao
Department of Cell Biology, The Lerner Research Institute, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
J Biol Chem 276:26180-8. 2001b>Lithium affects development of various organisms and cell fate through the inhibition of glycogen synthase kinase-3 beta and induction of the Wnt/beta-catenin signaling pathway...
- High-level exposure to lithium, boron, cesium, and arsenic via drinking water in the Andes of northern ArgentinaGabriela Concha
Division of Toxicology, Swedish National Food Administration, Box 622, S 751 26 Uppsala, Sweden
Environ Sci Technol 44:6875-80. 2010..arsenic concentrations in the drinking water (up to 210 microg/L), we found remarkably high concentrations of lithium (highest 1000 microg/L), cesium (320 microg/L), rubidium (47 microg/L), and boron (5950 microg/L)...
- The mood stabiliser lithium suppresses PIP3 signalling in Dictyostelium and human cellsJason S King
Cardiff School of Biosciences, Cardiff University, Museum Avenue, Cardiff, UK
Dis Model Mech 2:306-12. 2009..b>Lithium and other mood stabilisers deplete intracellular inositol and it has been proposed that bipolar mood disorder ..
- A chemical biology approach reveals period shortening of the mammalian circadian clock by specific inhibition of GSK-3betaTsuyoshi Hirota
Cell and Developmental Biology, Division of Biological Sciences, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:20746-51. 2008..3 (GSK-3) consistently caused a strong short period phenotype in contrast to the well-known period lengthening by lithium, another presumed GSK-3 inhibitor...
- In situ TEM study of lithiation behavior of silicon nanoparticles attached to and embedded in a carbon matrixMeng Gu
Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington 99352, United States
ACS Nano 6:8439-47. 2012..be a feasible way for mitigating the capacity fading associated with the large volume change of silicon anode in lithium ion batteries...
- Raising the cycling stability of aqueous lithium-ion batteries by eliminating oxygen in the electrolyteJia Yan Luo
Department of Chemistry, Shanghai Key Laboratory of Molecular Catalysis and Innovative Materials, Institute of New Energy, Fudan University, Shanghai 200433, China
Nat Chem 2:760-5. 2010Aqueous lithium-ion batteries may solve the safety problem associated with lithium-ion batteries that use highly toxic and flammable organic solvents, and the poor cycling life associated with commercialized aqueous rechargeable ..
- NP03, a novel low-dose lithium formulation, is neuroprotective in the YAC128 mouse model of Huntington diseaseMahmoud A Pouladi
Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics, University of British Columbia, and Child and Family Research Institute, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Neurobiol Dis 48:282-9. 2012..b>Lithium, a drug widely used for the treatment of bipolar disorder, has been shown to exert neuroprotective effects in a ..
- Oxygen bridges between NiO nanosheets and graphene for improvement of lithium storageGuangmin Zhou
Shenyang National Laboratory for Materials Science, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 72 Wenhua Road, Shenyang 110016, China
ACS Nano 6:3214-23. 2012..We believe that the understanding of this oxygen bridge between graphene and NiO will lead to the development of other high-performance electrode materials...
- Renewable and superior thermal-resistant cellulose-based composite nonwoven as lithium-ion battery separatorJianjun Zhang
Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao 266101, P R China
ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 5:128-34. 2013A renewable and superior thermal-resistant cellulose-based composite nonwoven was explored as lithium-ion battery separator via an electrospinning technique followed by a dip-coating process...
- The PMR2 gene cluster encodes functionally distinct isoforms of a putative Na+ pump in the yeast plasma membraneJ Wieland
Institut für Biochemie der Universität Stuttgart, Germany
EMBO J 14:3870-82. 1995..Finally, we show that the Na+ tolerance mediated through these pumps is regulated by calmodulin via a calcineurin-independent mechanism which activates the Pmr2 ion pumps post-transcriptionally...
- NFAT/Fas signaling mediates the neuronal apoptosis and motor side effects of GSK-3 inhibition in a mouse model of lithium therapyRaquel Gómez-Sintes
Centro de Biologia Molecular Severo Ochoa CBM SO, CSIC UAM, 28049 Madrid, Spain
J Clin Invest 120:2432-45. 2010Use of lithium, the mainstay for treatment of bipolar disorder, is limited by its frequent neurological side effects and its risk for overdose-induced toxicity...
- Opposed effects of lithium on the MEK-ERK pathway in neural cells: inhibition in astrocytes and stimulation in neurons by GSK3 independent mechanismsRaul Pardo
Institut de Neurosciènces and Departament de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Spain
J Neurochem 87:417-26. 2003b>Lithium is widely used in the treatment of bipolar disorder, but despite its proven therapeutic efficacy, the molecular mechanisms of action are not fully understood...
- An improved high-performance lithium-air batteryHun Gi Jung
Department of WCU Energy Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul 133 791, Republic of Korea
Nat Chem 4:579-85. 2012..the consumer electronics markets as the power source of choice for popular portable devices, the common lithium battery is not yet suited for use in sustainable electrified road transport...
- Lithium rescues synaptic plasticity and memory in Down syndrome miceAndrea Contestabile
Department of Neuroscience and Brain Technologies, Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia, Genova, Italy
J Clin Invest 123:348-61. 2013..We report that, in the Ts65Dn mouse model of DS, chronic administration of lithium, a clinically used mood stabilizer, promoted the proliferation of neuronal precursor cells through the ..
- Spindle-like mesoporous α-Fe₂O₃ anode material prepared from MOF template for high-rate lithium batteriesXiaodong Xu
Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology UNIST, Ulsan 689 798, Korea
Nano Lett 12:4988-91. 2012..When tested as anode material for lithium batteries (LBs), this spindle-like porous α-Fe(2)O(3) shows greatly enhanced performance of Li storage...
- Evaluation of the Becton-Dickinson rapid serum tube: does it provide a suitable alternative to lithium heparin plasma tubes?Goce Dimeski
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Clin Chem Lab Med 48:651-7. 2010..Although lithium heparin plasma has unique problems, it has become an alternative in hospital-based laboratories.
- Synthesis of phosphorus-doped graphene and its multifunctional applications for oxygen reduction reaction and lithium ion batteriesChenzhen Zhang
Department of Materials Science and Engineering, College of Engineering, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
Adv Mater 25:4932-7. 2013..activity towards the oxygen reduction reaction and enhances the electrochemical performance as an anode material for lithium ion batteries. The experimental results suggest the significant role of phosphorus atoms in graphene.
- Top-down fabrication of α-Fe2O3 single-crystal nanodiscs and microparticles with tunable porosity for largely improved lithium storage propertiesJun Song Chen
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, 70 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637457, China
J Am Chem Soc 132:13162-4. 2010..a much larger total pore volume and average pore size compared to the pristine ones, thus serving as the possible origin for their greatly enhanced capacity retention when tested as potential anode materials for lithium-ion batteries.
- Effects of lithium therapy on Na+-K+-ATPase activity and lipid peroxidation in bipolar disorderUshasi Banerjee
Department of Biochemistry, Burdwan Medical College and Hospital, Burdwan, 713104, West Bengal, India
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 37:56-61. 2012..Although, lithium therapy results in significant improvement in the symptoms of the disease, studies regarding its effect on the ..
- Effects of lithium on lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammation in rat primary glia cellsSigalit Nahman
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel
Innate Immun 18:447-58. 2012b>Lithium is the gold-standard treatment for bipolar disorder, a severe mental illness...
- Lithium regulates keratinocyte proliferation via glycogen synthase kinase 3 and NFAT2 (nuclear factor of activated T cells 2)Philip J Hampton
Dermatological Sciences, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
J Cell Physiol 227:1529-37. 2012Certain environmental factors including drugs exacerbate or precipitate psoriasis. Lithium is the commonest cause of drug-induced psoriasis but underlying mechanisms are currently unknown...
- MoS₂ nanoplates consisting of disordered graphene-like layers for high rate lithium battery anode materialsHaesuk Hwang
Interdisciplinary School of Green Energy, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology UNIST, Ulsan 689 798, Korea
Nano Lett 11:4826-30. 2011..1 A/g) rate, showing a reversible capacity of 700 mAh/g. In addition, a full cell (LiCoO(2)/MoS(2)) test result also demonstrates excellent capacity retention up to 60 cycles...
- Engineering empty space between Si nanoparticles for lithium-ion battery anodesHui Wu
Department of Materials Science and Engineering Stanford University, California 94305, USA
Nano Lett 12:904-9. 2012Silicon is a promising high-capacity anode material for lithium-ion batteries yet attaining long cycle life remains a significant challenge due to pulverization of the silicon and unstable solid-electrolyte interphase (SEI) formation ..
- Temporal patterns of the cerebral inflammatory response in the rat lithium-pilocarpine model of temporal lobe epilepsyBrigitte Voutsinos-Porche
INSERM U405, Faculty of Medicine, Strasbourg, France
Neurobiol Dis 17:385-402. 2004..Factor-kappaB (NF-kappaB), and Cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) expression together with neurodegeneration in the rat lithium-pilocarpine model...
- Neuroprotective action of lithium in disorders of the central nervous systemChi Tso Chiu
Section on Molecular Neurobiology, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, 10 Center Drive MSC 1363, Bethesda, MD 20892 1363, USA
Zhong Nan Da Xue Xue Bao Yi Xue Ban 36:461-76. 2011Substantial in vitro and in vivo evidence of neurotrophic and neuroprotective effects of lithium suggests that it may also have considerable potential for the treatment of neurodegenerative conditions...
- Formation of ZnMn2O4 ball-in-ball hollow microspheres as a high-performance anode for lithium-ion batteriesGenqiang Zhang
TUM CREATE Centre for Electromobility, Singapore
Adv Mater 24:4609-13. 2012..When evaluated as an anode material for lithium-ion batteries, these ZnMn(2)O(4) ball-in-ball hollow microspheres show significantly enhanced electrochemical ..
- Effects of lithium on oxidative stress parameters in healthy subjectsRushaniya Khairova
Experimental Therapeutics, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Mol Med Rep 5:680-2. 2012..b>Lithium has been shown to prevent and/or reverse DNA damage, free-radical formation and lipid peroxidation in diverse ..
- Quasiemulsion-templated formation of α-Fe2O3 hollow spheres with enhanced lithium storage propertiesBao Wang
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 637457
J Am Chem Soc 133:17146-8. 2011..When tested as anode materials for lithium-ion batteries, these α-Fe(2)O(3) hollow spheres manifest greatly enhanced Li storage properties.
- Blocked inhibitory serine-phosphorylation of glycogen synthase kinase-3alpha/beta impairs in vivo neural precursor cell proliferationTae Yeon Eom
Department of Psychiatry, Behavioral Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294 0017, USA
Biol Psychiatry 66:494-502. 2009..Because these diseases might be associated with inadequately controlled glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK3), we tested whether blocked inhibitory serine-phosphorylation of GSK3 impairs neurogenesis...
- The balance of TCF7L2 variants with differential activities in Wnt-signaling is regulated by lithium in a GSK3beta-independent mannerIan Struewing
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 399:245-50. 2010..b>Lithium, a Wnt-signaling activator, increases TCF7L2 mRNA levels and induces an RNA isoform switch favoring the ..
- A 5-month period of epilepsy impairs spatial memory, decreases anxiety, but spares object recognition in the lithium-pilocarpine model in adult ratsJulien Detour
INSERM U398, Faculty of Medicine, Strasbourg, France
Epilepsia 46:499-508. 2005In temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE), interictal behavioral disorders affect patients' quality of life. Therefore we studied long-term behavioral impairments in the lithium-pilocarpine (li-pilo) model of TLE.
- Control of ion selectivity in LeuT: two Na+ binding sites with two different mechanismsSergei Y Noskov
Institute for Biocomplexity and Informatics, Department for Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, 2500 University Drive, Calgary, AB, Canada
J Mol Biol 377:804-18. 2008....
- Activation of the Wnt signaling pathway: a molecular mechanism for lithium actionC M Hedgepeth
Cell and Molecular Biology Graduate Group, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6148, USA
Dev Biol 185:82-91. 1997..We now provide evidence that lithium activates downstream components of the wnt signaling pathway in vivo, leading to accumulation of beta-catenin ..
- The mechanism of lithium action: state of the art, ten years laterA Shaldubina
Stanley Center for Bipolar Research, Ministry of Health Mental Health Center, Faculty of Health Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer-Sheba, Israel
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 25:855-66. 2001b>Lithium is an effective drug for both treatment and prophylaxis of bipolar disorder. However, the mechanism of lithium action is still unknown...
- WNT-7a induces axonal remodeling and increases synapsin I levels in cerebellar neuronsF R Lucas
Developmental Biology Research Centre, The Randall Institute, King s College London, 26 29 Drury Lane, London, WC2B 5RL, United Kingdom
Dev Biol 192:31-44. 1997..b>Lithium mimics WNT-7a in granule cells by inhibiting GSK-3beta, a component of the WNT signaling pathway...
- Long-term outcome of lithium prophylaxis in bipolar disorder: a 5-year prospective study of 402 patients at a lithium clinicM Maj
Department of Psychiatry, First Medical School, University of Naples, Italy
Am J Psychiatry 155:30-5. 1998In this prospective study, information was collected on all bipolar I patients who started lithium prophylaxis at a lithium clinic during more than 15 years.
- Lithium: potential therapeutics against acute brain injuries and chronic neurodegenerative diseasesAkihiko Wada
Department of Pharmacology, Miyazaki Medical College, University of Miyazaki, Miyazaki, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 99:307-21. 2005In addition to the well-documented mood-stabilizing effects of lithium in manic-depressive illness patients, recent in vitro and in vivo studies in rodents and humans have increasingly implicated that lithium can be used in the treatment ..
- Mania-like behavior induced by disruption of CLOCKKole Roybal
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Basic Neuroscience, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9070, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:6406-11. 2007..Chronic administration of the mood stabilizer lithium returns many of these behavioral responses to wild-type levels...
- Lithium activates the Wnt and phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase Akt signaling pathways to promote cell survival in the absence of soluble survival factorsDiviya Sinha
Renal Section, Evans Biomedical Research Center, Rm 546, 650 Albany St, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 288:F703-13. 2005..The present study examines the hypothesis that lithium (Li(+)) and (2'Z,3'E)-6-bromoindirubin-3'-oxime (BIO), two glycogen synthase kinase-3beta (GSK3beta) inhibitors, ..
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3 is essential for β-arrestin-2 complex formation and lithium-sensitive behaviors in miceW Timothy O'Brien
Department of Medicine, Hematology Oncology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Invest 121:3756-62. 2011b>Lithium is the first-line therapy for bipolar disorder. However, its therapeutic target remains controversial...
- Review of lithium effects on brain and bloodWise Young
W M Keck Center for Collaborative Neuroscience, Rutgers, State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
Cell Transplant 18:951-75. 2009Clinicians have long used lithium to treat manic depression. They have also observed that lithium causes granulocytosis and lymphopenia while it enhances immunological activities of monocytes and lymphocytes...
- Do lithium and anticonvulsants target the brain arachidonic acid cascade in bipolar disorder?Stanley I Rapoport
Brain Physiology and Metabolism Section, Bldg 10, Room 6N202, National Institute on Aging, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 59:592-6. 2002b>Lithium and certain anticonvulsants, including carbamazepine and valproic acid, are effective antimanic drugs for treating bipolar disorder, but their mechanisms of action remain uncertain.
- Lithium protection against glutamate excitotoxicity in rat cerebral cortical neurons: involvement of NMDA receptor inhibition possibly by decreasing NR2B tyrosine phosphorylationRyota Hashimoto
Section on Molecular Neurobiology, Mood and Anxiety Disorder Program, National Institute of Mental Health, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1363, USA
J Neurochem 80:589-97. 2002The therapeutic mechanisms of lithium for treating bipolar mood disorder remain poorly understood. Recent studies demonstrate that lithium has neuroprotective actions against a variety of insults...
- Beta-catenin signaling plays a disparate role in different phases of fracture repair: implications for therapy to improve bone healingYan Chen
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
PLoS Med 4:e249. 2007..However, its role in bone repair is unknown. The goal of this study was to explore the role of beta-catenin signaling in bone repair...
- Prevention of MPTP (N-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine) dopaminergic neurotoxicity in mice by chronic lithium: involvements of Bcl-2 and BaxMoussa B H Youdim
Eve Topf and National Parkinson Foundation Centers of Excellence for Neurodegenerative Diseases Research, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Efron Street, P O Box 9697, Haifa 31096, Israel
Neuropharmacology 46:1130-40. 2004b>Lithium has been reported to exert neuroprotective activity in several neuronal cell cultures and in vivo models against glutamate toxicity...
- Glucocorticoids and lithium reciprocally regulate the proliferation of adult dentate gyrus-derived neural precursor cells through GSK-3beta and beta-catenin/TCF pathwayShuken Boku
Department of Psychiatry, Hokkaido University Graduate School of Medicine, Sapporo, Japan
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:805-15. 2009..On the other hand, the mood stabilizer lithium (Li) commonly used for their treatment increases it...
- Long-term response to lithium salts in bipolar illness is influenced by the glycogen synthase kinase 3-beta -50 T/C SNPFrancesco Benedetti
Istituto Scientifico Universitario Ospedale San Raffaele, Department of Neuropsychiatric Sciences, San Raffaele Turro, 20127 Milano, Italy
Neurosci Lett 376:51-5. 2005..GSK3-beta codes for an enzyme which is a target for the action of lithium and possibly of valproic acid...
- OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS IN BIPOLAR DISORDER PROPHYLAXISANDREW STOLL; Fiscal Year: 2002..acids), are polyunsaturated lipids which inhibit intracellular signal transduction in a manner comparable to lithium and divalproex, 2 drugs with efficacy in bipolar disorder...
- Patient-Derived Stem Cells for Phosphoproteomic Profiling NeuropsychopathologyDieter A Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Lithium has been the standard of treatment for BPD, but, because of its side effects, anti-convulsants (including ..
- Hydrodynamic forces modulate renal tubular functionRajeev Rohatgi; Fiscal Year: 2012..In conditions of high tubular flow that occur with water loading or lithium ingestion, puringeric signaling and PGE2 production is augmented in CD epithelial isolated from these rodents, ..
- Cell stress, development, and stimulant-induced behavior: Regulation by GSK3Marjelo A Mines; Fiscal Year: 2012..Furthermore, GSK3 is a feasible therapeutic target because the GSK3 inhibitor lithium is already widely used as a treatment for bipolar disorder and many new small molecule selective GSK3 inhibitors ..
- Role of Matrix Metalloproteinase-1 in Endothelial Cell SenescenceCatherine D Mao; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Lithium is commonly used to treat bipolar disorder as well as to activate the oncogenic 2-catenin signaling pathway via ..
- Functional Studies of Variants of the Bipolar Risk Gene CACNA1C in Human NeuronsJEN PAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..bipolar disorder suffer from recurrent episodes of mania and depression, and current bipolar treatments, such as lithium, are often ineffective in many patients...
- Mechanism and Treatment of nerve agent-induced seizuresJaideep Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim 3: To test anticonvulsant action of two classes of compounds in controlling lithium/pilocarpine and OP paraoxon-induced status epilepticus...
- Mediators of Lithium Action in Olfactory EpitheliumEvaristus A Nwulia; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lithium, used for treatment of BD, alters steady-state mRNA levels of a large number of genes;notably GSK-32, inositol ..
- Roles of Gs Alpha and interaction with Wnt signaling in regulation of adipocyte dPartha S Sinha; Fiscal Year: 2011..This question will address by testing the effects of in utero lithium exposure on Osterix-Cre:Gsa fl/fl mice upon bone mass, bone marrow adiposity, and relative numbers of adipocyte ..
- SECRETION AND BIOSYNTHESIS OF INSULINMichael L McDaniel; Fiscal Year: 2012..The highly reproducible stimulation of mTOR-mediated DNA synthesis by lithium, a GSK-3 inhibitor, in human islets is remarkable since nutrients are rarely effective...
- GSK3: immunoregulator in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE)Patrizia De Sarno; Fiscal Year: 2012..We found that mice pretreated with the GSK3 inhibitor lithium are completely protected from development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE), a mouse model of MS,..
- Neural basis of learned food aversion and nauseaCHARLES HORN; Fiscal Year: 2009..address this issue experiments will be conducted to examine the effects of cisplatin (a chemotherapy agent) and lithium chloride (LiCI) (treatments that produce nausea in humans) on visceral afferent nerve activity and brain and ..
- Effect of Major Depression and antidepressants on human neurogenesisMaura Boldrini; Fiscal Year: 2013..treated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, SSRI, ten treated with tricyclic antidepressants, TCA) or lithium (n=6) at the time of death;2. MD patients (n=20) who were not on antidepressants for e 3 months and 3...
- The Role of HIF-1 in Neurogenic and Behavior Responses to Antidepressants.W TIMOTHY O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..We have forwarded the hypothesis that GSK-3 is the molecular target of lithium, a mood stabilizer, and modulates several antidepressant-sensitive behaviors...
- Signaling pathways regulated by GSK3 in hematopoietic stem cellJian Huang; Fiscal Year: 2012..In support of this hypothesis, our preliminary data show that: 1) lithium and other selective GSK3 inhibitors significantly increase the number of HSCs in mice, 2) RNAi mediated depletion ..
- Suicide Endophenotypes and Molecular Mechanisms of Lithium ActionTodd D Gould; Fiscal Year: 2013..Few treatments have been shown to reduce risk. An exception, supported by extensive clinical evidence, is that lithium is effective in reducing the risk of both attempted and completed suicide...
- Countermeasures for chlorine-induced airway fibrosisGary W Hoyle; Fiscal Year: 2013..or the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 inhibitor tiplaxtinin;and manipulation of Wnt/ss-catenin signaling with lithium chlorie or pyrvinium...
- Pre-Clinical Development of a Fetal MicropacemakerRamen Chmait; Fiscal Year: 2013..The micropacemaker is powered by a tiny, commercially available, rechargeable lithium ion cell which can provide power for 2-3 weeks of pacing...
- Regulation of Renal Response to Vasopressin by Glycogen SynthaseReena Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite in vitro and in vivo evidence that lithium, a common therapy for bipolar disorders and a potent inhibitor of GSK3[unreadable] can reduce renal response to ..
- Circadian Clock Genes in Bipolar DisorderMICHAEL JOSEPH MCCARTHY; Fiscal Year: 2013..In responsive patients, lithium is an excellent treatment for BD, but many patients fail to respond and needlessly suffer side-effects or delays ..
- A Molecular Mechanism for Lithium ActionPeter S Klein; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Lithium is the first line of therapy in the treatment of bipolar disorder yet its mechanism of action in this setting is not known...
- Effects of lithium on cellular signalingRichard S Jope; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Lithium, the classical mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder, inhibits glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK3) by a ..
- The Effect of Bipolar Disorder and its Comorbidities on Cognition in Older AdultsARIEL GERARD GILDENGERS; Fiscal Year: 2013..As part of this investigation, we will examine the potential neuroprotective and/or neurotrophic effects of lithium and valproate that may moderate the expression of cognitive dysfunction and decline...
- Effects of lithium on cellular signalingRichard S Jope; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lithium, the classical mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder, inhibits GSK3 by a dual mechanism, directly ..
- Rational polytherapy in the treatment of cholinergic seizuresClaude G Wasterlain; Fiscal Year: 2013..such three-drug combinations can, with little depression of consciousness, stop seizures induced by high-dose lithium and pilocarpine and refractory to a profoundly anesthetic dose of benzodiazepine, the best 2- and 3-drug ..
- Metabolic regulators in the mechanisms of caloric restrictionRozalyn M Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will determine the extent to which GSK32 inhibition (lithium carbonate), SIRT1 activation (resveratrol) or PGC-11 activation (bezafibrate) can mimic the effect of CR on i) ..
- Akt/GSK-3 Signaling Cascade and the Actions of DopamineMarc G Caron; Fiscal Year: 2011..drugs that bind D2Rs show a high propensity to engage the ?-arrestin 2-mediated pathway, and the mood stabilizer lithium interferes with this pathway by inhibiting the stability of the ?-arrestin 2/Akt/PP2A signaling complex...
- Akt/GSK-3 Signaling Cascade and the Actions of DopamineMarc G Caron; Fiscal Year: 2013..drugs that bind D2Rs show a high propensity to engage the ?-arrestin 2-mediated pathway, and the mood stabilizer lithium interferes with this pathway by inhibiting the stability of the ?-arrestin 2/Akt/PP2A signaling complex...
- Signaling pathways regulated by GSK3 in hematopoietic stem cellJian Huang; Fiscal Year: 2013..In support of this hypothesis, our preliminary data show that: 1) lithium and other selective GSK3 inhibitors significantly increase the number of HSCs in mice, 2) RNAi mediated depletion ..
- Mood-Stabilizing Medications and the Inositol Signaling SystemRanga N Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lithium and valproate are the drugs of choice for the manic phase of BD...
- Therapeutic targeting of GSK3beta: A novel approach for podocyte protectionRujun Gong; Fiscal Year: 2013..The efficacy of TDZD-8 will be compared with low dose lithium, a safe and effective FDA approved drug that possesses potent GSK3 inhibitory actions, already exists for decades ..
- Synaptic Phenotype, Development, and Plasticity in the Fragile X MouseCHARLES LEROY COX; Fiscal Year: 2013..proposed include AAV-virus mediated restoration of FMRP expression, as well as drug treatments including Lithium and specific metabotropic glutamate receptor antagonists...
- In vitro and in vivo study of simvastatin plus lithium in bipolar depressionRoy H Perlis; Fiscal Year: 2013..Work by our group and others strongly implicates Wnt/GSK3 signaling in the mechanism of action of lithium, which remains a first-line treatment for bipolar depression as well as prevention of recurrence...
- Studies of genes involved in the lithium responsive neurological processesToshihiro Kitamoto; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Although lithium displays remarkable mood-stabilizing properties and has served as one of the most effective therapies for bipolar disorder (BPD), the mechanisms underlying its actions on the nervous ..
- GSK3-beta Signaling in Medullary Thyroid CancerHerbert Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this proposal, we will explore the potential to utilize GSK3B inhibitors such as lithium to improve surgical outcomes for patient with metastatic MTC...
- Treatment of Status Epilepticus: A Translational ProposalClaude G Wasterlain; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will induce SE chemically with lithium and pilocarpine, or electrically by stimulating the perforant path, and will treat at 3 time points: after the ..
- Single nucleotide polymorphisms of neuronal CACNA1C L-type calcium channels assocDiane Lipscombe; Fiscal Year: 2011..The most common treatment is lithium but this agent is only partially effective, has numerous side effects, and a low safety margin...
- Targeting Wnt and mTOR to expand hematopoietic stem cellsPeter S Klein; Fiscal Year: 2012..therapeutic strategy to expand HSCs in vivo and ex vivo using currently available FDA-approved agents, including lithium to inhibit GSK-3 and rapamycin/sirolimus to inhibit mTOR...
- Central Viscerosensory Circuits - Structure and FunctionLINDA M RINAMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..examine NA axonal collateralization and ascending pathway recruitment by a malaise- inducing agent, lithium chloride (LiCl)...
- White matter hypoxia in a novel model of MMP-mediated inflammation in SHR/SPGARY ALLEN ROSENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2013..damage in chronically hypertensive rats by using electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) to measure ptO2 with lithium phthalocyanine (LiPc) microcrystals implanted stereotactically into the corpus callosum, and to correlate the ..
- Calcium Study of Lymphoblasts in Bipolar Patients to Aid Diagnosis and TreatmentCHARLES LEE BOWDEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..in cell lines established from a blood sample predict the likelihood of response to the two mood stabilizers (lithium and quetiapine) being compared in the Bipolar CHOICE study...
- Potential Therapeutic Applications of Ecto-Nucleotidases in Lithium-induced NDIBellamkonda K Kishore; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Lithium (Li), an established treatment for bipolar disorders, is emerging as a potential neuroprotective therapy for acute and chronic neurodegenerative diseases...
- Antimanic Use During PregnancyKatherine L Wisner; Fiscal Year: 2010..6) Conduct pharmacokinetic (PK) studies on the subset of women who take lithium, the most common drug used to manage BP during pregnancy in our Center, at 20- 24 weeks, 32-36 weeks, and 12-16 ..
- Examining the role of the Lissencephaly Protein, Lis1, in Dynein-Based TransportDeanna S Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..Notably, the dynein response to PPAR3 agonists requires PI3K activity and is mimicked by lithium, a potent Gsk32 inhibitor used to treat mood disorders...
- Towards a High-Throughput System for Testing Human Candidate-Brain-Disease AlleleElizabeth M Simpson; Fiscal Year: 2010..testing, and testing of the most favorable 2 strains for differential effects of the psychotherapeutic drug lithium. Bipolar disorder (manic-depressive disorder) is an incurable, long-term brain disorder affecting 5...
- Regulation of neurogenesis and behavior by GSK-3Peter S Klein; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lithium is highly effective in BD, but the neuropharmacological mechanisms that underlie the therapeutic response is ..
- Importance of Beta-Catenin Signaling in Osteocytes Associated with Anabolic LoadShiva P Kotha; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this application, we evaluate the dosage of a pharmacological agent (lithium chloride) that can synergize with mechanical loading to activate a powerful pathway (the Wnt/b-catenin signaling) ..
- 1/2-Prevention of Relapse &Recurrence of Bipolar DepressionRobert J Derubeis; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this application, we will ask: "Does continuation therapy with combined lithium plus fluoxetine result in fewer MDE relapses and recurrences vs...
- Mechanisms of Cognitive Impairment in Temporal Lobe EpilepsyBarbara Jobst; Fiscal Year: 2013..laboratory has recently pursued the underlying mechanisms responsible for dynamic cognitive dysfunction in the lithium-pilocarpine model of TLE finding that interictal spikes (IIS), dysfunctions in network oscillation activity (EEG ..
- Multimodal Neuroimaging of Treatment Effects in Adolescent ManiaMelissa P DelBello; Fiscal Year: 2013..these aims, we will randomize 120 first-hospitalization manic adolescents to double-blind treatment with lithium or quetiapine for 6 weeks, during which time we will perform symptom ratings, as well as fMRI and H-MRS scans...
- Genetic Predictors of Lithium Response in Bipolar DisorderJohn R Kelsoe; Fiscal Year: 2013..This frequently results in a lengthy trial and error process of treatment optimization which may take years. Lithium was the first mood stabilizing medication and is still the gold standard for treatment...
- Brain Chemistry and Altitude in Bipolar DisorderPERRY FRANKLIN RENSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2013..Despite decades of research, the illness remains poorly understood, and no new treatment has surpassed lithium's effectiveness for the majority of patients...
- Lithium's Molecular Mechanism of Action and the Pathology of Bipolar DisordersRamin V Parsey; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also investigate the 5-HT effects of a common treatment for BPD, lithium. Discovered decades ago, lithium remains one of the few effective treatments in BPD, with evidence of mood ..
- Role of ubiquitination in the Wnt pathwayEthan Lee; Fiscal Year: 2013..We found that XIAP coimmunoprecipitates with TCF/Lef in the presence of lithium (inhibits GSK3) and that XIAP is phosphorylated by GSK3...
- Home-Based Lithium Level Testing for Bipolar PatientsKUMAR SUBRAMANIAN; Fiscal Year: 2009PROJECT SUMIVIARY Lithium whose proprietary names include Eskalith, Lithane, Lithonate, Lithobid and others, is administered as lithium carbonate and used for treatment of the bipolar disorders (BD), mania, and manic-depressive illness...
- Improved Batteries for Implantable Cardiac DefibrillatorsKenneth J Takeuchi; Fiscal Year: 2012..The current benchmark power source technology is lithium/silver vanadium oxide (Li/SVO) developed >20 years ago...
- Seizure-induced Neuronal Loss and Epileptogenesis in the Immature BrainJEFFREY JOHN EKSTRAND; Fiscal Year: 2013..This project utilizes the lithium pilocarpine (LiPC) animal model of epilepsy, a well established model of chemoconvulsant status epilepticus (SE), ..
- Indirubins: novel anti-invasive and anti-angiogenic drugs for malignant gliomasE Antonio Chiocca; Fiscal Year: 2013..Based on data showing reduced glioma motility in vitro using lithium, a GSK-3 inhibitor that is FDA-approved for the treatment of bipolar disorders, we have initiated a bi-..
- Biology of the orphan receptor Rev-erb alphaMitchell A Lazar; Fiscal Year: 2013..in circadian rhythm and metabolism, utilizing a novel mouse model in which Rev-erb1 is insensitive to the lithium-stimulated degradation pathway...
- Pilot PET Study Characterizing [1-11C] Arachadonic Acid in Bipolar DisorderM Elizabeth Sublette; Fiscal Year: 2013..In animal studies, mood stabilizers lithium, valproate, carbamazepine, and lamotrigine downregulate the brain AA cascade5...
- Glucocorticoid and Stress Induced Cerebellar Neural Progenitor Cell ApoptosisKevin K Noguchi; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Aim 1, the applicant will test the potential safener drug lithium for its ability to protect against GC induced NPC apoptosis and its long term effects in the cerebellum...
- Targeting Renal Purinergic Signaling for the Treatment of Lithium-induced NDIBellamkonda K Kishore; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): 6. Project Summary/Abstract Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus (NDI) due to lithium therapy for bipolar disorder is one of the major nephrological problems among Veterans...
- Pharmacogenomics of Mood Stabilizer Response in Bipolar DisorderJohn R Kelsoe; Fiscal Year: 2013..Studies to date by our group have implicated two genes, NTRK2 and PDE11A as predicting response to lithium. In this project, we propose a two pronged approach: genes will first be sought in an exploratory fashion in a ..
- Genetic Risk Factor For Suicidal BehaviorVirginia L Willour; Fiscal Year: 2013..a key molecule in the Wnt signaling pathway, is noteworthy because the Wnt pathway is positively regulated by lithium, which has been shown to decrease suicidal behavior...
- Total Synthesis of Bioactive Marine Natural ProductsArmen Zakarian; Fiscal Year: 2013..1) development and application of methods for efficient asymmetric synthesis using readily available chiral lithium amides as recoverable stereodirecting reagents, 2) total synthesis of complex bioactive molecules, and 3) ..
- SNARE Proteins and TBIC Edward Dixon; Fiscal Year: 2013..It has recently been discovered that lithium, at therapeutically relevant concentrations, can enhance the expression of CSP[unreadable]...
- Improving Gastrointestinal Recovery after RadiationGeorge Georges; Fiscal Year: 2007..The drugs are: keratinocyte growth factor (KGF), lithium carbonate (Li2CO3), and a GI-specific formulation of beclomethasone dipropionate (BDP) to be given alone or in ..
- ION PAIR ALDOL ADDITION REACTIONSAndrew Streitwieser; Fiscal Year: 1999..and that the reaction is now most often run in non-polar solvents, such as tetrahydrofuran (THF), frequently with lithium salts of carbonyl compounds (lithium enolates)...
- The effect of lithium on intracellular sodium in brain in vivoRichard A Komoroski; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Lithium (Li) is an important first-line and widely prescribed treatment for acute mania and relapse prevention in BPD...
- MOLECULAR TARGETS OF LITHIUM AND VALPROATEMIRIAM GREENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2004..Only two drugs are currently approved by the FDA for treatment of this disorder, lithium and valproate...
- LITHIUM POTENTIATED STATUS EPILEPTICUSRICHARD JOPE; Fiscal Year: 1990..This model uses pretreatment with lithium followed by administration of subthreshold doses of convulsants...
- REACTIVITY AND SELECTIVITY OF REACTIONS IN POLAR MEDIAPAUL GRIECO; Fiscal Year: 2002..0-5.0 M lithium perchlorate-diethyl ether with applications to molecules of biological interest...
- LITHIUM IN AGGRESSIVE CHILDREN WITH CONDUCT DISORDERMagda Campbell; Fiscal Year: 1993..We have replicated our earlier findings on the efficacy and safety of lithium carbonate in this type of child: lithium is statistically and clinically superior to placebo in reducing these ..
- Clinical Inertia in Prescribing for Bipolar DisorderDominic Hodgkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..trials of treatment for BD: the Systematic Treatment Enhancement Program for Bipolar Disorder (STEP-BD), and the Lithium Moderate Use Study (LiTMUS)...
- CONTINUATION ECT VS PHARMACOTHERAPY--EFFICACY AND SAFETYTeresa Rummans; Fiscal Year: 2001..g., a tricyclic (TCA), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), or lithium), as continuation therapy...
- Estimating Intracellular Lithium in Brain in vivo by 7Li MRSRichard A Komoroski; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Lithium (Li) is the treatment of choice for acute mania and for relapse prevention in bipolar disorder...
- Improving Battery Performance for Cardiac PacingJEFFREY DEAL; Fiscal Year: 2005..ICDs marketed by Medtronic, St. Jude, and Guidant all use lithium silver vanadium oxide (SVO) battery chemistries and all display a significant increase in charge time, in some ..