Genomes and Genes
Summary: Plutonium. A naturally radioactive element of the actinide metals series. It has the atomic symbol Pu, atomic number 94, and atomic weight 242. Plutonium is used as a nuclear fuel, to produce radioisotopes for research, in radionuclide batteries for pacemakers, and as the agent of fission in nuclear weapons.
Publications280 found, 100 shown here
- Release of plutonium isotopes into the environment from the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant accident: what is known and what needs to be knownJian Zheng
Research Center of Radiation Protection, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa 4 9 1, Inage, Chiba 263 8555, Japan
Environ Sci Technol 47:9584-95. 2013..Finally, we identified knowledge gaps remained on the release of Pu into the environment and recommended issues for future studies. ..
- Mayak Worker Dosimetry System 2008 (MWDS-2008): assessment of internal dose from measurement results of plutonium activity in urineVictor V Khokhryakov
Southern Urals Biophysics Institute SUBI, Ozyorsk, Chelyabinsk Region, Russia
Health Phys 104:366-78. 2013A new modification of the prior human lung compartment plutonium model, Doses-2005, has been described. The modified model was named "Mayak Worker Dosimetry System-2008" (MWDS-2008)...
- Mayak worker dosimetry study: an overviewE K Vasilenko
Mayak Production Association, Ozyorsk, Russia
Health Phys 93:190-206. 2007The Mayak Production Association (MPA) was the first plutonium production plant in the former Soviet Union...
- Plutonium targets the p16 gene for inactivation by promoter hypermethylation in human lung adenocarcinomaSteven A Belinsky
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Lung Cancer Program, 2425 Ridgecrest Drive SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
Carcinogenesis 25:1063-7. 2004Lung cancer from radon or (239)plutonium exposure has been linked to alpha-particles that damage DNA through large deletions and point mutations...
- Estimates of radiological risk from a terrorist attack using plutoniumMarco Durante
Dipartimento di Scienze Fisiche, Universita Federico II, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, 80126, Napoli, Italy
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:125-30. 2002..In this paper, we discuss the threat of terrorist attacks by plutonium, with particular attention to the dispersal of plutonium by explosion or fire...
- Twenty-four years of follow-up for a Hanford plutonium wound caseEugene H Carbaugh
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Health Phys 99:483-94. 2010A 1985 plutonium puncture wound resulted in the initial deposition of 48 kBq of transuranic alpha activity, primarily 239+240Pu and 241Am, in a worker's right index finger...
- Cancer mortality and morbidity among plutonium workers at the Sellafield plant of British Nuclear FuelsR Z Omar
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Br J Cancer 79:1288-301. 1999..up to the end of 1992, and cancer incidence was examined from 1971 to 1986, in relation to their exposures to plutonium and to external radiation...
- Anomalous plutonium isotopic ratios in sediments of Lake Qinghai from the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau, ChinaFengchang Wu
State Key Laboratory of Environmental Criteria and Risk Assessment, Chinese Research Academy of Environmental Sciences, Beijing, 100012, China
Environ Sci Technol 45:9188-94. 2011....
- Tumour induction by methyl-nitroso-urea following preconceptional paternal contamination with plutonium-239B I Lord
CRC Department of Experimental Haematology, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, Christie Hospital NHS Trust, Manchester, UK
Br J Cancer 78:301-11. 1998..Mean values of CFU-S and CFU-F were unaffected by preconceptional paternal plutonium-239 (PP-239Pu), although for CFU-F in particular there was an apparent increase in variation between individual ..
- Isotopic composition and origin of uranium and plutonium in selected soil samples collected in KosovoP R Danesi
International Atomic Energy Agency IAEA, Seibersdorf Laboratories, Wagramer Strasse 5, PO Box 100, A 1400 Vienna, Austria
J Environ Radioact 64:121-31. 2003..depleted uranium (DU) ammunition was expended during the 1999 Balkan conflict were analysed for uranium and plutonium isotopes content (234U, 235U, 236U, 238U, 238Pu, (239 + 240)Pu)...
- The kinetic stability of colloid-associated plutonium: settling characteristics and species transformationJinchuan Xie
Northwest Institute of Nuclear Technology, Xi an City, Shanxi Province 710024, PR China
Chemosphere 87:925-31. 2012The colloid-associated plutonium-239, as the dominant species of Pu in natural environment, was formed through sorption of Pu onto in situ colloids...
- Plutonium release from Fukushima Daiichi fosters the need for more detailed investigationsStephanie Schneider
Leibniz Universitat Hannover, Institut für Radioökologie und Strahlenschutz, D 30419 Hannover, Germany
Sci Rep 3:2988. 2013..accident has been investigated mainly for volatile fission products, but only sparsely for actinides such as plutonium. Only small releases of actinides were estimated in Fukushima...
- Lung cancer risks from plutonium: an updated analysis of data from the Mayak worker cohortE S Gilbert
Radiation Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20852, USA
Radiat Res 179:332-42. 2013..facility in the Russian Federation offer a unique opportunity to evaluate health risks from exposure to inhaled plutonium. Risks of mortality from lung cancer, the most serious carcinogenic effect of plutonium, were evaluated in 14,..
- Radiation risk of malignant neoplasms in organs of main deposition for plutonium in the cohort of Mayak workers with regard to histological typesE V Labutina
Southern Urals Biophysics Institute SUBI, Ozyorsk, Chelyabinsk Region, Russia
Health Phys 105:165-76. 2013..and bone and associated connective tissues among Mayak nuclear workers exposed to both internally incorporated plutonium and to external gamma radiation...
- Structural characterization of Pu[N(SiMe(3))(2)](3), a synthetically useful nonaqueous plutonium(III) precursorAndrew J Gaunt
Chemistry Division and Associate Directorate for Chemistry, Life, and Earth Sciences, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Inorg Chem 47:26-8. 2008A rare, and synthetically versatile, nonaqueous plutonium complex, Pu[N(SiMe3)2]3 (1), has been structurally characterized by single-crystal X-ray diffraction for the first time and reveals significantly shorter agostic interactions ..
- Lung, liver and bone cancer mortality in Mayak workersMikhail E Sokolnikov
Southern Urals Biophysics Institute, Ozyorsk, Chelyabinsk Region, Russian Federation
Int J Cancer 123:905-11. 2008..in the Russian Federation offer the only adequate human data for evaluating cancer risks from exposure to plutonium. Risks of mortality from cancers of the lung, liver and bone, the organs receiving the largest doses from ..
- Concentration and characterization of plutonium in soils of Hubei in central ChinaWei Dong
State Key Laboratory of Nuclear Physics and Technology, School of Physics, Peking University, Beijing 100871, China
J Environ Radioact 101:29-32. 2010..It is suggested that climatic conditions and organic content are the two main factors that affect the vertical migration of plutonium in soil.
- Rapid determination of plutonium isotopes in environmental samples using sequential injection extraction chromatography and detection by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometryJixin Qiao
Radiation Research Division, Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy, NUK 202, Technical University of Denmark, DK 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
Anal Chem 81:8185-92. 2009..The SI manifold is thus suitable for rapid and automated determination of Pu isotopes in environmental risk assessment and emergency preparedness scenarios...
- Vertical distributions of plutonium and 137Cs in lacustrine sediments in northwestern china: quantifying sediment accumulation rates and source identificationsFengchang Wu
State Environmental Protection Key Laboratory for Lake Pollution Control, Chinese Research Institute of Environmental Sciences, 8 Dayangfang, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100012, China
Environ Sci Technol 44:2911-7. 2010..b>Plutonium isotopes in lacustrine sediments were proven to be useful for quantifying sediment accumulation rates and for ..
- Uncertainties analysis for the plutonium dosimetry model, doses-2005, using Mayak bioassay dataJohn D Bess
Center for Excellence in Nuclear Technology, Engineering, and Research Center, 50 So Central Campus Drive, Rm 1206, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Health Phys 93:207-19. 2007..Surrogate doses from inhaled plutonium can be assigned to approximately 29% of the Mayak workers using their urine bioassay measurements and other ..
- A case of wound intake of plutonium isotopes and 241Am in a human: application and improvement of the NCRP wound modelAnatoly E Schadilov
Southern Urals Biophysics Institute, Ozyorskoe Shosse 19, Ozyorsk, Chelyabinsk Region, 456780 Russia
Health Phys 99:560-7. 2010b>Plutonium isotopes (239Pu and 238Pu, and 241Am) with a total activity of 269 kBq were accidentally deposited in a puncture wound of the right index finger of a nuclear worker at the Mayak Production Association...
- The role of sea ice in the fate of contaminants in the Arctic Ocean: plutonium atom ratios in the Fram StraitPere Masqué
Marine Sciences Research Center, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York 11794 5000, USA
Environ Sci Technol 37:4848-54. 2003..In particular, low (<0.18) 240Pu/239Pu ratios indicate that plutonium from sources in the Kara Sea and Novaya Zemlya is transported across the basin toward the North Atlantic...
- Using fallout plutonium as a probe for erosion assessmentW T Hoo
Department of Nuclear Physics, Research School of Physics and Engineering, The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia
J Environ Radioact 102:937-42. 2011A study has been carried out to assess the potential of using fallout plutonium (Pu), which originated from atmospheric nuclear-weapons tests, as a tool to investigate recent erosional processes within the lower Cotter water-supply ..
- Direct lung delivery of a dry powder formulation of DTPA with improved aerosolization properties: effect on lung and systemic decorporation of plutoniumC Gervelas
Univ Paris Sud, CNRS UMR 8612, Physico chimie Pharmacotechnie Biopharmacie, F 92296, Chatenay Malabry, France
J Control Release 118:78-86. 2007DTPA, an actinide chelating agent, has demonstrated its ability to complex plutonium (Pu) and to facilitate its urinary excretion after internal contamination...
- Effect of occupational radiation exposures on chromosome aberration rates in former plutonium workersGordon K Livingston
Radiation Emergency Assistance Center Training Site, Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831 0117, USA
Radiat Res 166:89-97. 2006..in situ hybridization (FISH) method was used to measure chromosome aberration rates in lymphocytes of 30 retired plutonium workers with combined internal and external radiation doses greater than 0...
- Plutonium and other alpha emitters in mushrooms from Poland, Spain and UkraineJ W Mietelsk
Environmental Radioactivity Laboratory, The Henry Niewodniczański Institute of Nuclear Physics, Krakow, Poland
Appl Radiat Isot 56:717-29. 2002..Some aspects of the transfer of nuclides to fruit bodies is discussed and in some cases the transfer factors or aggregation coefficients were calculated. Especially high transfer factors were found for Hebeloma cylindrosporum from Spain...
- Chromosome intra- and inter-changes determined by G-banding in radiation workers with in vivo exposure to plutoniumE Janet Tawn
Genetics Department, Westlakes Research Institute, Moor Row, Cumbria, UK
J Radiol Prot 25:83-8. 2005Suggestions that exposure to intakes of alpha-emitting radionuclides such as plutonium could result in a specific profile of chromosome damage distinguishable from that of low LET irradiation have led to the re-analysis of the different ..
- Plutonium in the air in Kurchatov, KazakhstanJ Lehto
Laboratory of Radiochemistry, P O Box 55, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Sci Total Environ 366:206-17. 2006..b>Plutonium concentration correlated with the amount of dust retained on the filters only at the highest dust loads...
- Activation of alveolar macrophages after plutonium oxide inhalation in rats: involvement in the early inflammatory responseAnne Van der Meeren
CEA DSV IRCM SREIT, Laboratory of Radiotoxicology, CEA DAM Ile de France Bruyères le Chatel, Arpajon Cedex, France
Radiat Res 170:591-603. 2008..The objectives of the present study were to investigate the early inflammatory events after plutonium oxide inhalation in rats and involvement of alveolar macrophages...
- Lung fibrosis in plutonium workersLee S Newman
Division of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Department of Medicine, National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Denver, Colorado 80206, USA
Radiat Res 164:123-31. 2005..Animal studies and a report on plutonium-exposed workers from Russia suggest an association between high doses to the lung from plutonium exposure and ..
- Comparisons of pulmonary carcinogenesis in rats following inhalation exposure to plutonium dioxide or X-ray irradiationYoichi Oghiso
Internal Radiation Effects Research Group, Research Center for Radiation Safety, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Japan
J Radiat Res 44:261-70. 2003....
- Comparison of predicted with observed biokinetics of inhaled plutonium nitrate and gadolinium oxide in humansA Hodgson
National Radiological Protection Board, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon OX11 0RQ, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 105:91-4. 2003The absorption kinetics to blood of plutonium and gadolinium after inhalation as nitrate and oxide in humans and animals has been studied...
- Soil-plant transfer of plutonium and americium in contaminated regions of Belarus after the Chernobyl catastropheG A Sokolik
Laboratory of Radiochemistry, Belarusian State University, Skoriny Avenue, 4, Minsk 220050, Belarus
Environ Int 30:939-47. 2004Experimental data are presented for the soil to plant transfer of plutonium and americium into the main species of grass vegetation of Belarusian grasslands contaminated as a result of the Chernobyl catastrophe of 1986...
- An iron-dependent and transferrin-mediated cellular uptake pathway for plutoniumMark P Jensen
Chemical Sciences and Engineering Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, Illinois, USA
Nat Chem Biol 7:560-5. 2011b>Plutonium is a toxic synthetic element with no natural biological function, but it is strongly retained by humans when ingested...
- No evidence for chromosomal instability in radiation workers with in vivo exposure to plutoniumC A Whitehouse
Genetics Unit, Westlakes Research Institute, Moor Row, Cumbria, CA24 3JY, United Kingdom
Radiat Res 156:467-75. 2001The availability of cultured lymphocyte preparations from radiation workers with internal deposits of plutonium provided the opportunity to examine whether irradiation of bone marrow cells had induced a transmissible genomic instability ..
- Siderophore mediated plutonium accumulation by Microbacterium flavescens (JG-9)S G John
Chemistry Division, C-SIC, Bioscience Division, B-N1, and Theoretical Division, T-10, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544, USA
Environ Sci Technol 35:2942-8. 2001Uptake of plutonium and uranium mediated by the siderophore desferrioxamine-B (DFOB) has been studied for the common soil aerobe Microbacterium flavescens(JG-9). M...
- Lung cancer and internal lung doses among plutonium workers at the Rocky Flats Plant: a case-control studyShannon C Brown
Department of Health Policy and Management, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Epidemiol 160:163-72. 2004..Annual doses to the lung from plutonium, americium, and uranium isotopes were calculated for each worker with an internal dosimetry model...
- Reliability of the ICRP's dose coefficients for members of the public. III. Plutonium as a case study of uncertainties in the systemic biokinetics of radionuclidesR W Leggett
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1060 Commerce Park, Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 106:103-20. 2003..g., various ages) or to times outside the period of observation...
- Plutonium content of human placental tissues after occupational exposureJ J Russell
United States Transuranium and Uranium Registries, Washington State University, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 104:231-6. 2003..following a normal live delivery from a volunteer donor who had received an accidental inhalation intake of plutonium 12 years prior to her pregnancy (Case 0777)...
- A review of contributions of human tissue studies to biokinetics, bioeffects and dosimetry of plutonium in manRonald L Kathren
Washington State University at Tri Cities, 2710 University Drive, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 109:399-407. 2004..made by human tissue studies to improved understanding of the biokinetics, dosimetry and potential bioeffects of plutonium in man...
- Uncertainties analysis of doses resulting from chronic inhalation of plutonium at the Mayak production associationM P Krahenbuhl
University of Utah, 50 So Central Campus Drive, Rm 1206, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Health Phys 89:33-45. 2005A method is presented to determine the uncertainties in the reported dose due to incorporated plutonium for the Mayak Worker Cohort. The methodology includes errors generated by both detection methods and modeling methods...
- The World War II plutonium experiments: contested stories and their lessons for medical research and informed consentS R Kaufman
Department of Social and Behavioral Science, University of California, San Francisco 94143 0612, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 21:161-97. 1997During the Second World War medical researchers around the USA injected 18 hospital patients with radioactive plutonium in order to learn its effects on the body...
- Plutonium(IV) reduction by the metal-reducing bacteria Geobacter metallireducens GS15 and Shewanella oneidensis MR1Hakim Boukhalfa
Chemistry Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM 87545, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:5897-903. 2007..However, the behavior of plutonium with regard to bacterial reduction is more complex than for other actinides because it is possible for Pu(IV) to ..
- Assessment of plutonium exposures for an epidemiological study of US nuclear workersR D Daniels
Division of Surveillance, Hazard Evaluations, and Field Studies, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, 5555 Ridge Avenue, R 44 Cincinnati, OH 45213, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 118:43-55. 2006..between workplace external radiation exposures and leukaemia mortality required an assessment of internal plutonium exposures as a potential confounder...
- Plutonium in Colorado residents: results of autopsy bone samples collected during 1975-1979S A Ibrahim
Department of Radiological Health Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Health Phys 83:165-77. 2002..Samples were collected at autopsy during 1975-1979 under an earlier study intended to compare plutonium levels in liver and lung of people who lived at various proximities to the Rocky Flats Environmental Technology ..
- Plutonium isotopes derived from Nagasaki atomic bomb in the sediment of Nishiyama reservoir at Nagasaki, JapanY Saito-Kokubu
Nuclear Science and Engineering Directorate, Japan Atomic Energy Agency, Tokai, Ibaraki 319 1195, Japan
Appl Radiat Isot 65:465-8. 2007The source of plutonium in sediments deposited at Nishiyama reservoir at Nagasaki was characterized by their (240)Pu/(239)Pu atom ratio. The average ratio was approximately 0.03, except in two layers...
- Radioanalytical data interpretation when the ratio reading/median is lognormally distributedW Jeffrey Klemm
Science Applications International Corporation, Mail Stop SH2 1, 1410 Spring Hill Road, McLean, VA 22102, USA
Health Phys 85:721-32. 2003..to demonstrate these methods were obtained from Brookhaven National Laboratory fission track analysis data for plutonium in urine...
- Validation of ICRP metabolic models for the transuranics in a Japanese populationShun ichi Hisamatsu
Institute for Environmental Sciences, 1 7 Ienomae, Obuchi, Rokkasho, Kamikita, Aomori 039 3212, Japan
Health Phys 85:701-8. 2003..However, the measured plutonium concentration in the spleen was higher than predicted and than found in the kidney or muscle and indicates that ..
- Retention and translocation of foliar applied 239,240Pu and 241Am, as compared to 137Cs and 85Sr, into bean plants (Phaseolus vulgaris)P Henner
Institute for Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety, Environment and Emergency Operations Division, Department for the Study of Radionuclides Behaviour in Ecosystems, Saint Paul lez Durance, France
J Environ Radioact 83:213-29. 2005..8%). Americium and strontium were uniformly redistributed among leaves, stems and pods. Plutonium showed preferential redistribution in oldest bean organs, leaves and stems, and very little redistribution in ..
- Dose due to mushroom ingestion in SpainA Baeza
Department of Physics, University of Extremadura, Avda Universidad s n, 10071 Caceres, Spain
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 111:97-100. 2004..Finally, on the basis of the results, we determined the dose due to 137Cs, 90Sr and (239+240)Pu for several mushroom species collected in different natural and semi-natural ecosystems in Spain...
- Plutonium concentration and 240Pu/239Pu atomic ratio in liver of squid collected in the coastal sea areas of JapanShinji Oikawa
Low Level Radioactivity Laboratory, K INET, Kanazawa University, Wake, Nomi City, Ishikawa 923 1224, Japan
J Environ Radioact 93:170-80. 2007b>Plutonium isotopes, 239Pu and 240Pu, were measured in liver samples from Surume squid using a sector-field high resolution ICP-MS after radiochemical purification...
- Characterization of U/Pu particles originating from the nuclear weapon accidents at Palomares, Spain, 1966 and Thule, Greenland, 1968O C Lind
Isotope Laboratory, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, P O Box 5003, 1432 As, Norway
Sci Total Environ 376:294-305. 2007..at Palomares, Spain in 1966 and at Thule, Greenland in 1968, radioactive particles containing uranium (U) and plutonium (Pu) were dispersed into the environment...
- Two case studies of highly insoluble plutonium inhalation with implications for bioassayE H Carbaugh
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, PO Box 999, MSIN P7 01, Richland, WA 99352, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 105:133-8. 2003....
- Depth profiling of Pu, 241Am and 137Cs in soils from southern Belarus measured by ICP-MS and alpha and gamma spectrometrySergei F Boulyga
Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, University of Mainz, Duesbergweg 10 14, 55099 Mainz, Germany
J Environ Monit 5:661-6. 2003The depth distribution of plutonium, americium, and 137Cs originating from the 1986 accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) was investigated in several soil profiles in the vicinity from Belarus...
- Distribution and inventories of fallout radionuclides (239+240Pu, 137Cs) and 210Pb to study the filling velocity of salt marshes in Doñana National Park (Spain)C Gasco
Centro de Investigaciones Energeticas, Medioambientales y Tecnologicas, CIEMAT, Departamento de Medio Ambiente, Avda Complutense 22, Madrid 28040, Spain
J Environ Radioact 89:159-71. 2006..b>Plutonium inventories range from 16 to 101 Bq m(-2), (137)Cs values fluctuate between 514 and 3,758 Bq m(-2) and ..
- 90Sr, 137Cs and (239,240)Pu concentration surface water time series in the Pacific and Indian Oceans--WOMARS resultsPavel P Povinec
International Atomic Energy Agency, Marine Environment Laboratory, 4 Quai Antoine 1 er, Monte Carlo 98000, Monaco
J Environ Radioact 81:63-87. 2005....
- Transuranic and fission product contamination in lake sediments from an alpine wetland, Boréon (France)M Schertz
Laboratoire de Radiochimie, Sciences Analytiques et Environnement, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, 28 Avenue Valrose, 06108 Nice, France
J Environ Radioact 85:380-8. 2006..As the selected study area is in a recreational area used by urban populations, a rough estimate was made of the mean external dose from 137Cs for comparison with the French regulation...
- 238Pu and 239+240Pu inventory and distribution through the lower Rhone valley terrestrial environment (Southern France)C Duffa
Institut de Radioprotection et de Sûreté Nucléaire DEI SESURE LERCM Centre d Etudes de Cadarache, Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Sci Total Environ 348:164-72. 2005..to thermonuclear tests performed between 1945 and 1980 and to the American SNAP 9A satellite explosion in 1964, plutonium's long-lived alpha emitter isotopes ((238)Pu, (239)Pu and (240)Pu) can be found everywhere in the environment...
- Plutonium and uranium in human bones from areas surrounding the Semipalatinsk nuclear test siteMasayoshi Yamamoto
Low Level Radioactivity Laboratory, K INET, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
J Radiat Res 47:A85-94. 2006..3+/-12.9). Most of the samples consisted of victims who died of various diseases. Plutonium and U were radiochemically separated and determined by alpha-ray spectrometry...
- Plutonium in groundwater at the 100K-Area of the U.S. DOE Hanford SiteMinhan Dai
Key Laboratory for Marine Environmental Science Xiamen University, Ministry of Education, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
J Contam Hydrol 76:167-89. 2005We examined the concentration, size distribution, redox state and isotopic composition of plutonium (Pu) in groundwater at the 100K-Area at the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Hanford Site...
- Investigating Pu and U isotopic compositions in sediments: a case study in Lake Obuchi, Rokkasho Village, Japan using sector-field ICP-MS and ICP-QMSJian Zheng
Nakaminato Laboratory for Marine Radioecology, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Hitachinaka, Ibaraki, Japan
J Environ Monit 7:792-7. 2005The objectives of the present work were to study isotope ratios and the inventory of plutonium and uranium isotope compositions in sediments from Lake Obuchi, which is in the vicinity of several nuclear fuel facilities in Rokkasho, Japan...
- Width and center-axis location of the radioactive plume that passed over Dolon and nearby villages on the occasion of the first USSR A-bomb test in 1949Tetsuji Imanaka
Research Reactor Institute, Kyoto University, Osaka, Japan
J Radiat Res 46:395-9. 2005..5 km. Additional soil contamination data around Dolon and other villages are necessary for more detailed discussion...
- [Estimation of rate constant for dissolution of radioactive fuel particles]E K Garger
Institute for Agroecology and Biotechnology, Kiev, Ukraine
Radiats Biol Radioecol 44:229-35. 2004..1 mol/l HCl is also shown (dissolution time was 3 days). A radionuclide transition to HCl solution decreases in line 90Am 241Am >> 137Cs > 239 + 240Pu. A transition degree reached 21% for 90Sr and extraction of 241Am was 3-17%...
- Plutonium microdistribution in the lungs of Mayak workersF F Hahn
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
Radiat Res 161:568-81. 2004The degree of nonuniform distribution of plutonium in the human lung has not been determined; thus current dosimetric models do not account for nonuniform irradiation...
- Distribution of 137Cs, 238Pu and 239+240 Pu in sediments of the southeastern Brazilian shelf-SW Atlantic marginRubens C L Figueira
Centro de Tecnologia e Ciências Exatas, Universidade Cruzeiro do Sul, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Sci Total Environ 357:146-59. 2006..On the other hand, plutonium isotopes exhibit higher values at greater depths. The mean ratio of 239+240 Pu/137Cs obtained was 0.112+/-0...
- Characterization of uranium and plutonium containing particles originating from the nuclear weapons accident in Thule, Greenland, 1968O C Lind
Isotope Laboratory, Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Norwegian 10 University of Life Sciences, P O Box 5003, N 1432 As, Norway
J Environ Radioact 81:21-32. 2005..U was found to be in oxidation state IV whereas Pu apparently is a mixture of Pu(III) and Pu(IV). As previous assessments are based on PuO2 only, revisions should be made, taking Pu(III) into account...
- Investigations of contaminated fluvial sediment deposits: merging of statistical and geomorphic approachesRandall T Ryti
Neptune and Company, Inc, 1505 15th Street, Suite B, Los Alamos, New Mexico 87544, USA
Environ Manage 35:632-48. 2005..Simple, one-dimensional Monte Carlo simulations were used to estimate uncertainty in contaminant inventory. We also show how one can use stratified random sampling theory to help estimate uncertainty in mean contaminant concentrations...
- Radiological situation in the vicinity of Semipalatinsk nuclear test site: Dolon, Mostik, Cheremushka and Budene settlementsAya Sakaguchi
Low Level Radioactivity Laboratory, K INET, Kanazawa University, Ishikawa, Japan
J Radiat Res 47:A101-16. 2006..The obtained data will be helpful for evaluating the current and future radiation risks to the people living around there...
- Bioavailability of 239+240Pu and 137Cs in aerosols and deposited dusts: a comparative study by fractional extractionU C Gerstmann
Institute of Radiation Protection, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 43:111-7. 2004..In deposited street dust, 53% of (239+240)Pu was associated with the oxide fraction...
- Resolving Chernobyl vs. global fallout contributions in soils from Poland using Plutonium atom ratios measured by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometryMichael E Ketterer
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, USA
J Environ Radioact 73:183-201. 2004b>Plutonium in Polish forest soils and the Bór za Lasem peat bog is resolved between Chernobyl and global fallout contributions via inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometric measurements of 240Pu/230Pu and 241Pu/239Pu atom ratios in ..
- A gradient of radioactive contamination in Dolon village near the SNTS and comparison of computed dose values with instrumental estimates for the 29 August, 1949 nuclear testValeriy F Stepanenko
Medical Radiological Research Center MRRC of RAMS, Obninsk, Russia
J Radiat Res 47:A149-58. 2006..28+/-0.068...
- Radiological consequences of the extreme flooding on the lower course of the Rhone valley (December 2003, south east France)F Eyrolle
Institute for Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety, Division for Environment and Intervention, Continental and Marine Radiological Research Laboratory, BP3, 13115 St Paul Lez Durance cedex, France
Sci Total Environ 366:427-38. 2006..Nevertheless, the level of activity measured in the vegetable crops and milk was not significantly different from the level measured in similar samples from regions that were not affected by the December 2003 floods...
- Activities of Pu and Am isotopes and isotopic ratios in a soil contaminated by weapons-grade plutoniumM H Lee
Nuclear Chemistry Research Division, Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute, Post Office Box 150, Daejon, Yusong, Republic of Korea
Environ Sci Technol 39:5512-6. 2005..Boeing Michigan Aeronautical Research Center (BOMARC) site in New Jersey resulted in dispersion of weapons-grade plutonium in particulate form to the local environment...
- Activity ratios of 137Cs, 90Sr and 239+240Pu in environmental samplesP Bossew
European Commission DG Joint Research Centre, Institute for Environment and Sustainability IES, I 21020 Ispra VA, Italy
J Environ Radioact 97:5-19. 2007..Results are given for Sr:Cs, Sr:Pu and Cs:Pu ratios. Comparison with fallout data shows a strong depletion of Sr against Cs and Pu...
- Excess plutonium in soil near the Nevada Test Site, USAMary Turner
Department of Chemistry, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, NV 89154 4003, USA
Environ Pollut 125:193-203. 2003..Moreover, the two concentration profiles show that high percentages of both of these elements are retained for decades in the upper few centimeters of soil in Nevada's desert environment...
- Studies on the Mayak nuclear workers: dosimetryS A Romanov
Southern Urals Biophysics Institute, Ozyorsk, Russian Federation
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:23-8. 2002
- An assessment of the reported leakage of anthropogenic radionuclides from the underground nuclear test sites at Amchitka Island, Alaska, USA to the surface environmentDouglas Dasher
Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, Fairbanks 99709, USA
J Environ Radioact 60:165-87. 2002..1999). While this potentially suggests another plutonium source, such as high burn-up nuclear reactor fuel, rather than underground nuclear tests, the uncertainties in ..
- Soil and sediment sample analysis for the sequential determination of natural and anthropogenic radionuclidesH Michel
Laboratoire de Radiochimie, Sciences Analytiques et Environnement LRSAE, Universite de Nice Sophia Antipolis, 06108 Nice Cedex, France
Talanta 74:1527-33. 2008..The results obtained for strontium-90, cesium-137, thorium-232, uranium-238, plutonium-239+240 and americium-241 isotopes by the proposed method for the reference materials provided excellent ..
- Distributions of Pu, Am and Cs in margin sediments from the western Mediterranean (Spanish coast)C Gasco
Departamento de Impacto Ambiental de la Energia, Centro de Investigaciones Energeticas, Medioambientales y Tecnologicas, CIEMAT, Madrid, Spain
J Environ Radioact 59:75-89. 2002..In this paper the distribution profiles and inventories of plutonium, americium and cesium are detailed, providing useful information about recent sedimentation phenomena such as ..
- Global fallout Pu recorded in lacustrine sediments in Lake Hongfeng, SW ChinaJian Zheng
Nakaminato Laboratory for Marine Radioecology, Environmental Radiation Effects Research Group, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, 3609 Isozaki cho, Hitachinaka, Ibaraki 311 1202, Japan
Environ Pollut 152:314-21. 2008..Our data suggested that Lake Hongfeng would be an ideal setting for monitoring atmospheric fallout and environmental changes in this region...
- A model for a comprehensive assessment of exposure and lifetime cancer incidence risk from plutonium released from the Rocky Flats Plant, 1953-1989Arthur S Rood
K Spar, Inc, East Rigby, ID 83441, USA
Health Phys 82:182-212. 2002..calculate ambient air concentrations, surface deposition, and lifetime carcinogenic risk with uncertainty from plutonium released to the air from the Rocky Flats Plant between the years 1953 and 1989...
- Estimating the date corresponding to the horizon of the first detection of 137Cs and 239+240Pu in sediment coresC Leslie
CSIRO Land and Water, Black Mountain Laboratories, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
J Environ Radioact 99:483-90. 2008The anthropogenic bomb fallout nuclides 137Cs and plutonium isotopes (240Pu, 239Pu) are important chronometers for the determination of recent sediment accumulation rates using sediment cores collected from various water bodies...
- Plutonium isotopes in the Hungarian environmentBeata Varga
Hungarian Agricultural Authority, Food and Feed Safety Directorate, P O Box 1740, H 1465 Budapest 94, Hungary
J Environ Radioact 99:641-8. 2008..10 Bq/kg. 238Pu could be detected only in few moss samples and 238Pu/239+240Pu ratio determines the origin of plutonium. 241Pu was determined by liquid scintillation spectrometry...
- A modelling study on 137Cs and 239,240Pu behaviour in the Alborán Sea, western MediterraneanR Periáñez
Departamento Fisica Aplicada I, E U Ingeniería Técnica Agrícola, Universidad de Sevilla, Ctra, Utrera km 1, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
J Environ Radioact 99:694-715. 2008..Both set of data are, in general, in agreement. The model has also been applied to calculate radionuclide fluxes through the Strait of Gibraltar. These computed fluxes have been compared with previous estimations as well...
- Spatial distribution of soil contamination by 137Cs and 239,240Pu in the village of Dolon near the Semipalatinsk nuclear test site: new information on traces of the radioactive plume from the 29 August 1949 nuclear testM Yamamoto
Low Level Radioactivity Laboratory, Kanazawa University, Wake, Nomi shi, Ishikawa 923 1224, Japan
Health Phys 94:328-37. 2008..These results support the recently reported results. The data obtained here will provide useful information on the efforts to estimate radiation dose in Dolon as reliably as possible. Health Phys. 94(4):328-337; 2008...
- Levels, distribution and bioavailability of transuranic elements released in the Palomares accident (Spain)M C Jiménez-Ramos
Applied Nuclear Physics Research Group, University of Seville, Avd Reina Mercedes, 2, 41012 Sevilla, Spain
Appl Radiat Isot 66:1679-82. 2008....
- Plutonium contamination from accidental release or simply fallout: study of soils at Palomares (Spain)P Rubio Montero
, Universidad de Extremadura, 06071 Badajoz, Spain
J Environ Radioact 55:157-65. 2001The activity concentration of plutonium in an environmental sample does not usually constitute sufficient information to determine if it is due only to fallout...
- Determination of 240Pu/239Pu isotopic ratios in human tissues collected from areas around the Semipalatinsk Nuclear Test Site by sector-field high resolution ICP-MSM Yamamoto
Low Level Radioactivity Laboratory, K INET, Kanazawa University, Wake, Nomi shi, Ishikawa 923 1224, Japan
Health Phys 95:291-9. 2008..b>Plutonium was radiochemically separated and purified, and plutonium isotopes (239Pu and 240Pu) were determined by sector-..
- Studies on the Ozyorsk population: health effectsN A Koshurnikova
Epidemiology Laboratory, Southern Urals Biophysics Institute, Ozyorsk, Russian Federation
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:37-9. 2002
- Studies on the Techa river populations: dosimetryM O Degteva
Urals Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Medgorodok, Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:41-4. 2002
- Concentrations of plutonium and americium in plankton from the western Mediterranean SeaJoan Albert Sanchez-Cabeza
Insitut de Ciència i Tecnologia Ambiental Departament de Física, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, 08193 Bellaterra, Barcelona, Spain
Sci Total Environ 311:233-45. 2003..Plankton from the western Mediterranean Sea was collected and analyzed for plutonium and americium in order to study their biological uptake...
- Distribution of nuclear bomb Pu in Nishiyama area, Nagasaki, estimated by accurate and precise determination of 240Pu/239Pu ratio in soilsS Yoshida
National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Anagawa 4 9 1, Inage Ku, Chiba shi 263 8555, Japan
J Environ Radioact 96:85-93. 2007b>Plutonium isotopes in forest soils collected in Nishiyama area, Nagasaki, were successfully determined by high resolution inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry after the treatment with a microwave decomposition system...
- Modelling the distribution of plutonium in the Pacific OceanMasanao Nakano
Marine Environment Laboratory, International Atomic Energy Agency, MC 98012, Monaco
J Environ Radioact 69:85-106. 2003An Oceanic General Circulation Model (OGCM) including a plutonium scavenging model as well as an advection-diffusion model has been developed for modelling the distribution of plutonium in the Pacific Ocean...
- Kazakhstan. Plutonium fields foreverRichard Stone
Science 300:1220-4. 2003
- The current content of artificial radionuclides in the water of the Tobol-Irtysh river system (from the mouth of the Iset River to the confluence with the Ob River)Alexander I Nikitin
SI RPA Typhoon of the Roshydromet, 82, Lenin Avenue, Obninsk, Kaluga Region 249038, Russia
J Environ Radioact 96:138-43. 2007..It is shown that the impact of "Mayak" PA waste transport by (90)Sr is distinctly traced as far as the area of the Irtysh and Ob confluence...
- Plutonium and 137Cs in surface water of the South Pacific OceanK Hirose
Meteorological Research Institute, Nagamine 1 1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 0052, Japan
Sci Total Environ 381:243-55. 2007The present plutonium and 137Cs concentrations in South Pacific Ocean surface waters were determined. The water samples were collected in the South Pacific mid-latitude region (32...
- Organic nature of colloidal actinides transported in surface water environmentsPeter H Santschi
Department of Oceanography, Texas A and M University, Galveston 77551, USA
Environ Sci Technol 36:3711-9. 2002..1 and a molecular weight of 10-15 kDa, rather than with the more abundant inorganic (iron oxide and clay) colloids. This finding has important ramifications for possible remediation, erosion controls, and land-management strategies...
- Changing patterns of radionuclide distribution in Irish Sea subtidal sedimentsDavid G Jones
British Geological Survey BGS, Keyworth, Nottingham NG12 5GG, UK
J Environ Radioact 96:63-74. 2007..The inventory of radionuclides in sandy sediments in the eastern Irish Sea is still under-represented by current sampling, but could be improved by deeper and more extensive vibrocoring...
- Fallout from nuclear tests: health effects in KazakhstanB Grosche
Federal Office for Radiation Protection, Institute of Radiation Hygiene, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:75-80. 2002
- Fallout from nuclear tests: dosimetry in the Altai regionY Shoikhet
Research Institute of Regional Medical Ecological Problems, Ministry of Health, Barnaul, Russian Federation
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:57-60. 2002
- Studies on the extended Techa river cohort: cancer risk estimationM M Kossenko
Urals Research Center for Radiation Medicine, Medgorodok, Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation
Radiat Environ Biophys 41:45-8. 2002
- Cancer Mortality among Military Participants at U.S. Nuclear Weapons TestsJOHN DUNNING BOICE; Fiscal Year: 2013..protracted low-dose exposure to external and internal radiation, including the inhalation and ingestion of plutonium, uranium and radioactive fission products...
- Biomimetic Actinide Decorporation: Characterization and Preclinical DevelopmentDavid K Shuh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hydroxypyridonate sequestering agents developed in our laboratory are selective and have a high affinity for plutonium(IV), americium(III), a number of other actinide ions, and lanthanide ions...
- The roles of TfRs and HSPA5 in Pu uptakeGayle E Woloschak; Fiscal Year: 2013..DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Dissecting the roles of TfRs and HSPA5 in Pu accumulation in liver Abstract: Plutonium (Pu) is one of the most toxic of all actinide elements produced in high quantities around the world...
- Oral Radiation Nuclear Decorporation AgentsMichael Jay; Fiscal Year: 2012..Zn-DTPA) have been shown to be effective in treating internal contamination with radionuclides such as plutonium, americium, or curium...
- Oral Radiation Nuclear Decorporation AgentsMichael Jay; Fiscal Year: 2010..Zn-DTPA) have been shown to be effective in treating internal contamination with radionuclides such as plutonium, americium, or curium...
- DEVELOPMENT OF ORAL FORM OF DTPA FOR USE IN RADIONUCLIDE DECORPORATION, 9/30/2013Michael Jay; Fiscal Year: 2013..Zn-DTPA) have been shown to be effective in treating internal contamination with radionuclides such as plutonium, americium, or curium...
- Short Courses in Research Ethics and EnvironmentalDianne Quigley; Fiscal Year: 2005..with diverse scientific, community and government stakeholders for risk assessment and management of plutonium contamination from Lawrence Livermoro Labs (c) developing case studies and course materials for resolving moral ..
- EVALUATION OF LOW LEVEL PLUTONIUM & CANCERCarl Johnson; Fiscal Year: 1980Because of documented contamination of a large area of land with plutonium and other transuranic radionuclides in the vicinity of the Rocky Flats nuclear weapons plant in the Denver Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area, there is ..
- Health Effects of Radiation Exposures in Russian WorkersRichard Day; Fiscal Year: 2006..to use these new data to carry out priority clinical and epidemiological (dose-response) investigations of plutonium pneumosclerosis, negative reproductive events in females, and the effects of prior occupational radiation ..
- POPULATION RISK MODEL FOR ALPHA-INDUCED BONE NEOPLASMSRAY LLOYD; Fiscal Year: 2005The cancer risk and associated public concern with exposures to alpha-emitting radionuclides, such as americium, plutonium, thorium, radium and others is well recognized...
- Genetic Consequences of Therapies for CancerJohn Boice; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- AMPHIPATHIC ORAL CHELATORS AND RADIONUCLIDE CONTAMINATIONScott Miller; Fiscal Year: 2008..amphipathic TT chelators are very effective for the elimination of systemic deposits of americium and plutonium)and some transition metals...
- MECHANISMS OF SKELETAL RECONSTITUTION AFTER LACTATIONScott Miller; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Gene Methylation and Therapeutic Response in Lung CancerSteven Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2005..The validation of these genes as biomarkers of lung cancer risk and their detection in sputum and/or serum could ultimately support chemoprevention trials for preventing lung cancer. ..
- MARKERS FOR LUNG CARCINOGENESIS IN BRONCHIAL EPITHELIUMSteven Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2001..f., simply markers of exposure) and help identify genetic alterations that are candidate markers of respiratory carcinogenesis. ..
- TOMOGRAPHIC DOSIMETRY PHANTOMS FOR PEDIATRIC RADIOLOGYWesley Bolch; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- RADIOLOGICAL RESEARCH ACCELERATOR FACILITY (RARAF)David Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Development of a Highly Efficient Personal Sampler to collect Viable BioaerosolsYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2010..The new device will not only be beneficial in occupational settings, but may also have future potential in high risk areas such as those following any possible biological attack. ..
- High Stability Accelerator for Sub-Cellular MicrobeamDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have considerably more demand for microbeam time than we can cope with, primarily because of limited physicist manpower. ..
- TUMOR SUPPRESSOR GENE METHYLATION IN LUNG ADENOCARCINOMASteven A Belinsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..Transient transfection of minimized promoters into cell lines with an endogenously active or silenced gene will be used to elucidate the sequence of changes involved in repression of promoter activity. REVISED: July 7, 2005 ..
- Community Health Effects of Industrial Hog OperationsSteven Wing; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Advances in Skeletal Dosimetry Through MicroimagingWesley Bolch; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Inhalation Dosimetry/Exposure Index of Fiber AerosolYung Sung Cheng; Fiscal Year: 2006..Sampling devices based on this size-selection definition can be developed in the future for improved assessment of worker exposure. ..
- TOMOGRAPHIC DOSIMETRY PHANTOMS FOR PEDIATRIC RADIOLOGYWesley Bolch; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- Cancer Risks Attributable To Radiation from Pediatric CTDavid Brenner; Fiscal Year: 2006..The target audiences will be radiologists, pediatricians, family physicians, and the CT industry. We will use telephone interviews supplemented with survey questions, to aid in web content decisions. ..
- AGRICULTURAL DUST AND CHILDHOOD ASTHMA SYMPTOMSSteve Wing; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- COMMUNITY HEALTH & ENVIRONMENTAL REAWAKENINGSteven Wing; Fiscal Year: 2007....