Summary: A broad class of substances encompassing all those that do not include carbon and its derivatives as their principal elements. However, carbides, carbonates, cyanides, cyanates, and carbon disulfide are included in this class.
Publications214 found, 100 shown here
- New materials in hydrothermal synthesisS Feng
Key Laboratory of Inorganic Synthesis and Preparative Chemistry, Department of Chemistry, Jilin University, Changchun 130023, PR China
Acc Chem Res 34:239-47. 2001....
- Microbial communities and geochemical dynamics in an extremely acidic, metal-rich stream at an abandoned sulfide mine (Huelva, Spain) underpinned by two functional primary production systemsOwen F Rowe
School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor, LL57 2UW, UK
Environ Microbiol 9:1761-71. 2007..Both sunlight and reduced inorganic chemicals (predominantly ferrous iron) served as energy sources for primary producers in this ecosystem, promoting ..
- More than obvious: better methods for interpreting nondetect dataDennis R Helsel
U S Geological Survey, Lakewood, CO, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:419A-423A. 2005
- Simplification of the representation of the organic component of atmospheric particulatesGordon McFiggans
Atmospheric Science Group, University of Manchester, PO Box 88, Sackville Street, Manchester, UK, M60 1QD
Faraday Discuss 130:341-62; discussion 363-86, 519-24. 2005..Whether a similar common representation can be used for cloud activation prediction in supersaturated environments, or for investigation of gas-to-particle partitioning, should be investigated...
- Biologic monitoring of exposure to environmental chemicals throughout the life stages: requirements and issues for consideration for the National Children's StudyDana B Barr
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1083-91. 2005....
- Exposure assessment in the National Children's Study: introductionLarry L Needham
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1076-82. 2005..Criteria for the analytical method of choice are discussed with particular emphasis on the need for long-term quality control and quality assurance measures...
- Organic-inorganic telechelic molecules: solution properties from simulationsAlberto Striolo
School of Chemical Biological and Materials Engineering, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Chem Phys 125:104904. 2006..These observations are useful for developing strategies to direct the self-assembly of nanostructured materials...
- Aggregation-governed oriented growth of inorganic crystals at an organic templateSumit Kewalramani
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Chem Phys 125:224713. 2006..The role of monolayer-ion interactions in governing the morphologies and the resulting orientation of the inorganic nucleate is discussed...
- Hybrid organic-inorganic nanostructures fabricated from layer-by-layer self-assembled multilayers of hyperbranched polyglycerols and phosphorus dendrimersDong Ha Kim
Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Ackermannweg 10, 55128 Mainz, Germany
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3871-6. 2006..The resulting hybrid films exhibit characteristic photoluminescence (PL) properties...
- Synthesis of fluorescent composite macromolecules by using organic/inorganic assemblies as structural unitsZe Hua Liu
State Key Laboratory of Rare Earth Materials Chemistry and Applications, College of Chemistry and Molecular Engineering, Peking University, 100871 Beijing, PR China
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3947-9. 2006..These observations suggest that construction of macromolecules with supramolecular assembly as starting monomer may produce generations of materials with novel properties...
- Advanced polymer-inorganic hybrid hard coatings utilizing in situ polymerization methodToshihiko Takaki
Mitsui Chemicals, Inc, 580 32 Nagaura, Sodegaura, Chiba 299 0265, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 6:3965-8. 2006..We found that curing the hybrid coatings by UV irradiation in air promoted the sol-gel reaction on the surface, resulting in coatings having excellent abrasion resistance...
- Toward greener nanosynthesisJennifer A Dahl
Department of Chemistry and Materials Science Institute, University of Oregon, 1253 University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403, USA
Chem Rev 107:2228-69. 2007
- Spirotox-Spirostomum ambiguum acute toxicity test-10 years of experienceGrzegorz Nałęcz-Jawecki
Department of Environmental Health Sciences, Medical University of Warsaw, Banacha 1, str 02 097, Warsaw, Poland
Environ Toxicol 19:359-64. 2004..Protozoa, which are the simplest eukaryotes, seem to be good screening bioassays for monitoring the technology of medical device production...
- Kinetics of soil ozonation: an experimental and numerical investigationWon Tae Shin
Environmental Engineering Program, Georgia Institute of Technology, 200 Bobby Dodd Way, Atlanta, GA 30332 0512, USA
J Contam Hydrol 72:227-43. 2004..These simulations indicate that such ozonation can be very effective, provided that effective circulation of ozone is achieved through appropriately placed wells...
- Viability of a low-pressure nanofilter in treating recycled water for water reuse applications: a pilot-scale studyChristopher Bellona
Colorado School of Mines, Environmental Science and Engineering Division, Golden, CO 80401 1887, USA
Water Res 41:3948-58. 2007....
- Production of apoferritin-based bioinorganic hybrid nanoparticles by bacterial fermentation followed by self-assemblyAnu Jääskeläinen
Department of Biochemistry and Food Chemistry, University of Turku, 20014 Turku, Finland
Small 3:1362-7. 2007
- The synthesis of inorganic materials at the water-toluene interfaceP John Thomas
School of Chemistry and School of Materials, The University of Manchester Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:1689-94. 2007..The advances in this area are reviewed to highlight potential uses of this method. The current understanding of the deposition process is discussed...
- Generation and characterization of inorganic and organic nanotubes on bioengineered flagella of mesophilic bacteriaMudalige Thilak Kumara
Department of Chemistry and Nanotechnology Research and Computation Center, Mailstop 5413, 1903 West Michigan Avenue, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 49008 5410, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 7:2260-72. 2007..The studies demonstrate the versatility of employing bioengineered flagella for the generation of a variety of nanoparticle arrays and nanotubes...
- Synthesis of bioactive organic-inorganic nanohybrid for bone repair through sol-gel processingToshiki Miyazaki
Graduate School of Life Science and Systems Engineering, Kyushu Institute of Technology, Fukuoka 808 0196, Japan
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 3:511-5. 2003..Such nanohybrids have potential as novel bone substitutes with both high bioactivity and high flexibility...
- Characterization of the leachate in an urban landfill by physicochemical analysis and solid phase microextraction-GC/MSMufide Banar
Department of Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Anadolu University, Iki Eylul Campus, 26480 Eskisehir, Turkey
Environ Monit Assess 121:439-59. 2006..at a temperature of 50 degrees C. Thirty three organic compounds in leachate were identified by GC/MS...
- Viruses: making friends with old foesTrevor Douglas
Center for Bio Inspired Nanomaterials, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Science 312:873-5. 2006..These developments assure that viruses will find applications as versatile nanoscale materials...
- Organic-inorganic interaction and the growth mechanism of hydroxyapatite crystals in gelatin matrices between 37 and 80 degrees CMyung Chul Chang
School of Mat Sci and Chem Eng, Kunsan National University, Kunsan 573 701, Korea
J Mater Sci Mater Med 17:387-96. 2006..Presumably it is believed that the poisoning of the functional groups in GEL molecules was vigorously occurred in the phosphoric acid environment above approximately 50 degrees C...
- Effects of environmental agents on the attainment of puberty: considerations when assessing exposure to environmental chemicals in the National Children's StudyRichard Y Wang
National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1100-7. 2005..The NCS is uniquely poised to evaluate the effects of environmental chemicals on the age at puberty, and the above approach will allow the NCS to accomplish this task...
- Remarkable features in lattice-parameter ratios of crystals. I. Orthorhombic, tetragonal and hexagonal crystalsR de Gelder
Institute for Molecules and Materials, Radboud University Nijmegen, Toernooiveld 1, 6525 ED Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Acta Crystallogr B 61:287-95. 2005..In the hexagonal case of the bio-macromolecules the most important peak of 422 crystals is observed near the ideal h.c.p. (hexagonal closed packing) ratio of (8/3)(1/2)...
- Adsorption of inorganic and organic ligands onto hydrous aluminum oxide: evaluation of surface charge and the impacts on particle and NOM removal during water treatmentPeter Pommerenk
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, Virginia 23529, USA
Environ Sci Technol 39:6429-34. 2005..The ability to strongly influence surface charge illustrates the impact that adsorption of these anions can have on particle stability...
- Changes in zinc speciation in field soil after contamination with zinc oxideAndreas Voegelin
Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 39:6616-23. 2005..The rate-limiting step could be the supply of Al and Si from soil minerals to the Zn-rich solutions around dissolving ZnO grains...
- Complete elimination of carbonates: a critical step in the accurate measurement of organic and black carbon in sedimentsMarta T Lukasewycz
US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, Mid Continent Ecology Division, 6201 Congdon Boulevard, Duluth, Minnesota 55804, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 24:2218-21. 2005..There can be no significant differences among the OC and BC contents measured using the three different levels of acidification...
- Size-controlled hydroxyapatite nanoparticles as self-organized organic-inorganic composite materialsViorel Marin Rusu
University of Potsdam, Department of Chemistry, Potsdam Golm, Germany
Biomaterials 26:5414-26. 2005..The composites contain nanosized hydroxyapatite with structural features close to those of biological apatites that make them attractive for bone tissue engineering applications...
- Determination of interstitial water chemistry and porosity in consolidated aquifer materials by diffusion equilibrium-exchangeMichael J Spence
Groundwater Protection and Restoration Group, Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S1 3JD, United Kingdom
Environ Sci Technol 39:1158-66. 2005..K. Upper Chalk aquifer as part of a natural attenuation assessment...
- Towards dilute magnetic semiconductors: Fe and Co substituted inorganic-organic hybrid materials based on ZnSeXiaoying Huang
Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 5:1487-91. 2005..The introduction of Fe or Co to hybrid inorganic-organic semiconductors provides a promising route to generate materials that combine the advantageous features of inorganic, organic, and magnetic functionalities in a single structure...
- Characterization of microparticles in raw, treated, and distributed waters by means of elemental and particle size analysesT Inoue
Department of Civil Engineering, Gifu University, Gifu 501 1193, Japan
Water Sci Technol 50:71-8. 2004..The Fe concentration in distributed water increased, probably due to oxidation and rusting of iron pipes...
- Analysis of environmental particles by atomic force microscopy, scanning and transmission electron microscopyD Mavrocordatos
Swiss Federal Institute for Environmental Science and Technology EAWAG, CH 8600 Dubendorf, Switzerland
Water Sci Technol 50:9-18. 2004..Especially, TEM coupled with Electron Energy Loss Spectroscopy (TEM-EELS) is a powerful technique for elemental analysis. Finally, general guidelines for the effective use of microscopic techniques are provided...
- [Water and suspended matter sampling in fresh water networks]Chiara Galas
Servizio di Metrologia Ambientale, Agenzia per la Protezione dell Ambiente e per i Servizi Tecnici APAT, Rome
Ann Ist Super Sanita 41:343-52. 2005..Sampling must be representative, to obtain reliable conclusions. In this context it is stressed the importance of the evaluation of the sampling uncertainty, which contributes to a large extent to the total uncertainty...
- Robust inorganic membranes from detachable ultrathin tantalum oxide filmsSherdeep Singh
Department of Chemistry, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4M1, Canada
Nano Lett 7:2676-83. 2007..Our membranes are mechanically, chemically, and thermally robust, have a high dielectric constant, and a high refractive index, making them potentially useful in sensors, optics, filtration, and catalysis...
- Organic-inorganic nanostructured colloidsE Bourgeat-Lami
Laboratoire de Chimie et Procédés de Polymérisation, CNRS, Ecole Supérerieure de Chimie Physique Electronique de Lyon, 43 Boulevard du 11 Novembre 1918, BP 2077, 69616 Villeurbanne, France
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 2:1-24. 2002..Some properties and applicability of organic-inorganic colloids in catalysis, medicine, and coating technologies are also cited...
- Design of novel hybrid organic-inorganic nanostructured biomaterials for immunoassay applicationsG Andrade
Department of Microbiology, Institute of Biological Sciences, Federal University of Minas Gerais, PO Box 486, 31270 901, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
Biomed Mater 1:221-34. 2006..PVA and PVA-derived hybrid materials were successfully produced with GA crosslinking in a nanometer-scale network. Also, such a PVA-based material could be advantageously used in immunoassays with enhanced specificity for diagnosis...
- Exponential growth of LBL films with incorporated inorganic sheetsPaul Podsiadlo
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Nano Lett 8:1762-70. 2008..The large thickness and rapid growth of the films affords fast preparation of nanostructured materials which is essential for multiple practical applications ranging from optical devices to ultrastrong composites...
- Simultaneous determination of inorganic and organic gunshot residues by capillary electrophoresisErnesto Bernal Morales
Laboratory of Analytical Method Development, FES Cuautitlan, UNAM, Cuautitlan Izcalli, Estado de Mexico 54740, Mexico
J Chromatogr A 1061:225-33. 2004..Good agreement between both techniques for lead was found...
- Uptake of glyoxal by organic and Inorganic aerosolAshley L Corrigan
Department of Chemistry, University of San Diego, 5998 Alcala Park, San Diego California 92110, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:4428-33. 2008..For organic aerosol, growth rates correlated with the acidity of the carboxylic acid groups of the aerosol material, suggesting that glyoxal uptake is enhanced by mildly acidic conditions...
- Characterization of atmospheric particulate: relationship between chemical composition, size, and emission sourceAlessandra Di Tullio
Dipartimento di Chimica, Ingegneria Chimica e Materiali, Universita dell Aquila, Via Vetoio Coppito II 67100, Coppito L Aquila, Italy
ChemSusChem 1:110-7. 2008..Well-known carcinogens such as PAHs were detected among the identified organic compounds from both the rural and highly polluted sites...
- Microbial sensors on a respiratory basis for wastewater monitoringKlaus Riedel
Institut fur Pflanzengenetik und Kulturpflanzenforschung, Gatersleben, Germany
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 75:81-118. 2002....
- Highly efficient resonant coupling of optical excitations in hybrid organic/inorganic semiconductor nanostructuresQiang Zhang
Nat Nanotechnol 2:555-9. 2007..Combining organic and inorganic semiconductors in this way could lead to novel nanoscale designs for light-emitting, photovoltaic and sensor applications...
- Approaches to enhancing the sensitivity of capillary electrophoresis methods for the determination of inorganic and small organic anionsM C Breadmore
Australian Centre for Research on Separation Science, School of Chemistry, University of Tasmania, Hobart
Electrophoresis 22:2464-89. 2001..This review will discuss all forms of on-line preconcentration methods for CE, with emphasis given to those that have shown particular merit when applied to inorganic and small organic anions...
- Nucleic acid and nucleotide-mediated synthesis of inorganic nanoparticlesLorenzo Berti
CNR INFM, National Research Center on nanoStructures and bioSystems at Surfaces S3, Via Campi, 213 A 41100 Modena, Italy
Nat Nanotechnol 3:81-7. 2008..This progress article will outline the current understanding of the nucleic acid-templated process and provides an up to date reference in this nascent field...
- Photo-patternable GeO2-contained organic-inorganic hybrid sol-gel films for photonic applicationsWenxiu Que
Electronic Materials Research Laboratory, School of Electronic and Information Engineering, Xi an Jiaotong University, Xi an 710049, Shaanxi, PR China
Opt Express 16:3490-5. 2008....
- Recent developments in the separation of inorganic and small organic ions by capillary electrophoresisJ S Fritz
Department of Chemistry and Ames Laboratory, Iowa State University, 50011, USA
J Chromatogr A 884:261-75. 2000....
- Three-dimensional architecture of inorganic nanoarrays electrodeposited through a surface-layer protein maskDaniel B Allred
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Nano Lett 8:1434-8. 2008....
- [Determination of organic and inorganic anions in snow and ice from alpine glaciers with DX-300 ion chromatograph]H Zhou
Department of Geology, Lanzhou University, Lanzhou 730000, China
Se Pu 19:353-5. 2001..The relative standard deviations for most of the anions were below 5%...
- Novel bioinorganic nanostructures based on mesolamellar intercalation or single-molecule wrapping of DNA using organoclay building blocksAvinash J Patil
Centre for Organized Matter Chemistry, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1TS, United Kingdom
Nano Lett 7:2660-5. 2007..Such constructs should have increased potential as functional components in bionanotechnology and nonviral gene transfection...
- Analysis of inorganic and small organic ions with the capillary electrophoresis microchipHeather D Willauer
Naval Research Laboratory, Chemistry Division, Washington, DC, USA
Electrophoresis 24:2193-207. 2003..The application of conductivity, amperometry, laser-induced fluorescence, absorbance, and chemiluminescence detection methods are discussed. The potential utilization of these devices for miniaturized analytical systems is described...
- Polymer-mediated synthesis of ferritin-encapsulated inorganic nanoparticlesMei Li
Centre for Organized Matter Chemistry, School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
Small 3:1477-81. 2007
- Capillary electrophoresis for short-chain organic acids and inorganic anions in different samplesVerónica Galli
Facultad de CC Experimentales y dela Salud, Urbanizacion Monteprincipe, E 28668 Boadilla del Monte Madrid, Spain
Electrophoresis 24:1951-81. 2003..Strategies employed for method development for the analysis of these compounds by capillary electrophoresis in real samples are discussed...
- A new and selective capillary column coated with cationic diazacrown ether for separation of organic and inorganic anions by capillary electrophoresisMasanobu Mori
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology at Seto, Seto, Japan
Electrophoresis 24:1944-50. 2003..g., sulfonate groups > carboxyl groups) and the number of negative charges (e.g., trivalent anions > divalent anions > monovalent anions) on the analyte...
- Large-scale synthesis of organophilic zirconia nanoparticles and their application in organic-inorganic nanocomposites for efficient volume holographyGeorg Garnweitner
Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Research Campus Golm, Potsdam, Germany
Small 3:1626-32. 2007..024) achieved so far...
- Flexible inorganic nanowire light-emitting diodeAthavan Nadarajah
Physics Department, Portland State University, 1719 SW 10th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Nano Lett 8:534-7. 2008..The emission through the polymer side of this arrangement covers most of the visual region. Electrical and optical properties as well as performance limitations of the device structure are discussed...
- Combinatorial and high-throughput development of sensing materials: the first 10 yearsRadislav A Potyrailo
Chemical and Biological Sensing Laboratory, Materials Analysis and Chemical Sciences, General Electric Global Research, Niskayuna, NY 12309, USA
Chem Rev 108:770-813. 2008
- Inorganic species and small organic ionsPaul R Haddad
Australian Centre for Research on Separation Science, School of Chemistry, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
Electrophoresis 28:3345. 2007
- Life prevalence of upper respiratory tract diseases and asthma among children residing in rural area near a regional industrial park: cross-sectional studyIsabella Karakis
School of Public Health, University of Haifa, Haifa, Israel
Rural Remote Health 9:1092. 2009..about possible health disorders related to odorous emissions (composed of a great many of organic and inorganic chemicals) from the regional industrial park (IP) in the Negev, southern Israel...
- Lack of promotional effects of groundwater contaminant mixtures on the induction of preneoplastic foci in rat liverS A Benjamin
Center for Environmental Toxicology and Technology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, Colorado State University, Fort Collins 80523, USA
Toxicology 137:137-49. 1999..lead, phenol, and trichloroethylene (TCE)] as the full mixture or submixtures of the organic and/or inorganic chemicals. The lowest concentrations (1x) of the individual chemicals were environmentally realistic and below what ..
- Activation of the hsp70 promoter by environmental inorganic and organic chemicals: relationships with cytotoxicity and lipophilicityS Aït-Aïssa
Unité d Evaluation des Risques Ecotoxicologiques, Institut National de l Environnement Industriel et des Risques, BP2, 60550, Verneuil en Halatte, France
Toxicology 145:147-57. 2000..The aim of this work was to study the potency of various environmentally relevant organic and inorganic chemicals to induce the expression of the HSP70 marker...
- Idiopathic environmental intolerances (IEI): from molecular epidemiology to molecular medicineC De Luca
Laboratory of Tissue Engineering and Cutaneous Pathophysiology, Istituto Dermopatico dell Immacolata, Rome, Italy
Indian J Exp Biol 48:625-35. 2010..by part of the medical community to be aberrant responses triggered by exposure to low-dose organic and inorganic chemicals and metals, in concentrations far below average reference levels admitted for environmental toxicants...
- Use of ultrasonic energy for intensification of the bio-preparation of greige cottonVal G Yachmenev
Southern Regional Research Center, 1100 Robert E Lee Blvd, New Orleans, LA 70124, USA
Ultrasonics 42:87-91. 2004..New bio-preparation processes that utilize highly specific enzymes instead of conventional organic/inorganic chemicals are becoming increasingly popular in the textile industry...
- A human stem cell-based model for identifying adverse effects of organic and inorganic chemicals on the developing nervous systemLeonora Buzanska
NeuroRepair Department, Medical Research Centre, Polish Academy of Sciences, Warsaw, Poland
Stem Cells 27:2591-601. 2009..Although not exhaustive, this work shows that the HUCB-NSC model fulfils these criteria and may serve as a human in vitro model for DNT priority setting...
- Practical and highly selective sulfur ylide mediated asymmetric epoxidations and aziridinations using an inexpensive, readily available chiral sulfide. Applications to the synthesis of quinine and quinidineOna Illa
School of Chemistry, University of Bristol, Cantock s Close, Bristol BS8 1TS, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 132:1828-30. 2010Heating one of the most abundant naturally occurring inorganic chemicals (elemental sulfur) with one of the most readily available homochiral molecules (limonene) gives a one-step synthesis of a chiral sulfide which exhibits outstanding ..
- Effects of sediment-bound zinc contamination on early life stages of the mummichog (Fundulus heteroclitus L.) in the Christina watershed, Delaware, U.S.AChristopher Paul Guy
U S Fish and Wildlife Service, Chesapeake Bay Field Office, 177 Admiral Cochrane Drive, Annapolis, Maryland 21401, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 25:1305-11. 2006..the major estuarine river system in New Castle County (DE, USA), has received loadings of organic and inorganic chemicals, primarily from manufacturing facilities...
- Uptake of inorganic chemicals from soil by plant leaves: regressions of field dataR A Efroymson
Environmental Sciences Division, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Tennessee 37831 6036, USA
Environ Toxicol Chem 20:2561-71. 2001..Models for use in screening risk assessments, i.e., the upper 95% prediction limits on the regressions, are recommended to provide conservative estimates of uptake of inorganic chemicals by plants.
- The factors influencing direct spectral fluorimetry of some urine metabolitesL Lichardusová
Department of Chemistry, Biochemistry, Medical Biochemistry and LABMED, Faculty of Medicine, Pavol Jozef Safarik University, Kosice, Slovak Republic
Prague Med Rep 111:272-8. 2010Urine contains a variety of organic and inorganic chemicals including a number of natural fluorophores. Most of them are formed by tryptophan metabolites. But there are also metabolites of riboflavin, catecholamines and porphyrins...
- Studies on experimental iodine allergy: 2. Iodinated protein antigens and their generation from inorganic and organic iodine-containing chemicalsHiroshi Shionoya
Department of Drug Safety Research, Eisai Kawashima Research Laboratories, Eisai Co, Ltd, 1 Takehaya cho, Kawashima cho, Hashima gun, Gifu 501 0061, Japan
J Toxicol Sci 29:137-45. 2004..is an immune response to iodinated autologous proteins generated in vivo from iodine-containing organic and inorganic chemicals. In this report, effects of protein iodination on elicitogenic activity in guinea pig iodine allergy model ..
- Effects of land use on ground water quality in the Anoka Sand Plain Aquifer of MinnesotaMichael D Trojan
Environmental Outcomes Division, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, 520 Lafayette Rd, St Paul, MN 55155 4194, USA
Ground Water 41:482-92. 2003..Between 1997 and 2000, sampling occurred quarterly for major ions, trace inorganic chemicals, volatile organic compounds (VOCs), herbicides, and herbicide degradates...
- Spore release by the green alga Ulva: a quantitative assay to evaluate aquatic toxicantsTaejun Han
Division of Biology and Chemistry, University of Incheon, 177 Dohwa dong, Nam Gu, Incheon 402 749, Republic of Korea
Environ Pollut 153:699-705. 2008..aquatic green alga, Ulva, was developed and evaluated by assessing the toxicity of different organic and inorganic chemicals and elutriates of sewage or waste sludge. The toxic ranking of four metals was: Cu (EC50 of 0...
- Influence of ultrasound on adsorption processesM Breitbach
Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Dortmund, Emil Figge Street 70, D 44221 Dortmund, Germany
Ultrason Sonochem 8:277-83. 2001..These require the use of organic solvents or inorganic chemicals and involve a difficult secondary separation step...
- Accumulation of perchlorate in tobacco plants: development of a plant kinetic modelSarah E Sundberg
Environmental Health Science Department, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Environ Monit 5:505-12. 2003..The model, once adequately validated, can be applied to other terrestrial plants and inorganic chemicals currently used for both phytoremediation and ecological risk assessment.
- Modelling of geochemical and isotopic changes in a column experiment for degradation of TCE by zero-valent ironHenning Prommer
CSIRO Land and Water, Wembley, Western Australia, Australia
J Contam Hydrol 97:13-26. 2008..barriers have become an increasingly used remediation option for the in situ removal of various organic and inorganic chemicals from contaminated groundwater...
- Cell-based assay for the detection of chemically induced cellular stress by immortalized untransformed transgenic hepatocytesMaria Grazia Sacco
Human Genome Department, Istituto di Tecnologie Biomediche National Research Council, Segrate, Milano, Italy
BMC Biotechnol 4:5. 2004..is to develop a bi-transgenic hepatocyte cell line in order to evaluate the ability of various organic and inorganic chemicals to induce the expression of the HSP70 driven reporter gene...
- Mitochondrial control region haplotypes of the South American sea lion Otaria flavescens (Shaw, 1800)L O Artico
Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal do Rio Grande, RS, Brasil
Braz J Med Biol Res 43:816-20. 2010..the effect of anthropic activities, mainly those related to environmental contamination with organic and inorganic chemicals and fishery interactions. This paper reports, for the first time, the genetic diversity of O...
- Exposure assessment implications for the design and implementation of the National Children's StudyHaluk Ozkaynak
U S Environmental Protection Agency, National Exposure Research Laboratory, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27711, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1108-15. 2005..g., pesticides), inorganic chemicals (e.g., metals), and others...
- The characterization and distribution of inorganic chemicals in tributary waters of the lower Athabasca river, Oilsands region, CanadaJ V Headley
National Water Research Institute, Saskatoon, Canada
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 40:1-27. 2005..The observed concentrations of metals seem to be of natural origin and can be used as base-line data for future assessment of anthropogenic activities in the oil sand region...
- Building an organ-specific carcinogenic database for SAR analysesJohn Young
Division of Biometry and Risk Assessment, Food and Drug Administration, National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 67:1363-89. 2004..would impede the accurate generation of SAR type descriptors from commercial software programs; that is, inorganic chemicals, mixtures, and organometallics were removed...
- Heavy metal stabilization in municipal solid waste incineration flyash using heavy metal chelating agentsJiang Jianguo
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, PR China
J Hazard Mater 113:141-6. 2004..Pb, Cd) which can leach. A new kind of heavy metal chelating agent showed more attractive competition than inorganic chemicals in stabilizing flyash...
- Harnessing microbial activities for environmental cleanupFrank E Löffler
School of Civil and Environmental Engineering and School of Biology, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, 30332 0512, USA
Curr Opin Biotechnol 17:274-84. 2006Human activities have released large amounts of toxic organic and inorganic chemicals into the environment. Toxic waste streams threaten dwindling drinking water supplies and impact terrestrial, estuarine and marine ecosystems...
- Tattoo darkening and nonresponse after laser treatment: a possible role for titanium dioxideE V Ross
Department of Dermatology, Naval Medical Center, 34800 Bob Wilson Dr, Suite 5, San Diego, CA 92134 1005, USA
Arch Dermatol 137:33-7. 2001..To examine relationships between chemical composition, biopsy findings, and clinical outcome in laser-treated tattoos...
- Uses of speciation techniques in biomonitoring for assessing human exposure to organic environmental chemicalsLarry L Needham
Division of Laboratory Sciences, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Anal Bioanal Chem 381:397-404. 2005..Although the term "speciation" is generally applied to the measurement of inorganic chemicals, the term can also be applied to many measurements of organic chemicals in complex samples, such as ..
- Chemical toxins: a hypothesis to explain the global obesity epidemicPaula F Baillie-Hamilton
Occupational and Environmental Health Research Group at Stirling, Stirling University, Scotland
J Altern Complement Med 8:185-92. 2002..during the last few decades because of the exponential production and usage of synthetic organic and inorganic chemicals. Many of these chemicals are better known for causing weight loss at high levels of exposure but much lower ..
- Study for reclamation of land occupied by solar evaporation pond at UCIL, Bhopal, IndiaK V George
National Environmental Engineering Research Institute, Nehru Marg, Nagpur, India
Waste Manag Res 19:573-8. 2001..by Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL), Bhopal for storage of wastewater containing high concentrations of inorganic chemicals especially chlorides. Area occupied by the SEPs had to be recovered due to closure of the plant...
- Brief survey of EPA standard-setting and health assessmentTimothy C Benner
United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Research and Development, Office of Science Policy, Washington, DC 20460, USA
Environ Sci Technol 38:3457-64. 2004..The NPDWR tend to be less strict than the water quality standards of other countries for inorganic chemicals, and they are more strict about as often as they are less strict for organic chemicals...
- Sorption and transport modeling of hexavalent chromium on soil mediaAnwar Ali Khan
Chemical Engineering Department, Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016, India
J Hazard Mater 174:444-54. 2010..In the case of inorganic chemicals, the absence of chemical decay makes the adsorption phenomena as the major contaminant removal mechanism ..
- Evaluating the vulnerability of bored and driven wells in a shallow unconfined aquiferHans Schmalzried
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403, USA
J Environ Health 71:18-23, 62. 2008..Over a two year period, 42 wells were tested in the region for a large suite of pesticides and inorganic chemicals. Results showed little evidence of persistent contamination...
- Molecular farming: production of drugs and vaccines in higher plantsAtsuhiko Shinmyo
Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Ikoma, Nara, Japan
J Antibiot (Tokyo) 63:431-3. 2010..under a suitable promoter are introduced into plants, these useful compounds can be economically produced from CO(2) and inorganic chemicals using sunlight. The merits and demerits of the plant process are discussed in this paper.
- Beyond REACH: roadblocks and shortcuts en route to integrated risk assessment and management of chemicalsTimo Assmuth
Finnish Environment Institute SYKE PO Box 140, FI 00251 Helsinki, Finland
Sci Total Environ 408:3954-63. 2010..We conclude with a generalizing discussion on the role of novel methods of integrated risk assessment in the development of reflexive and participatory governance under REACH and beyond...
- Energy sources, self-organization, and the origin of lifeLaurent Boiteau
Institut des Biomolecules Max Mousseron, UMR 5247, Universités Montpellier 1 and Montpellier 2 CNRS, CC DSBC 1706 Université Montpellier 2, Place Eugene Bataillon, 34095, Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Orig Life Evol Biosph 41:23-33. 2011..These lines of reasoning suggest the existence of a direct connection between the free energy content of intermediates of early pathways and the quanta of energy delivered by available sources of energy...
- Organic and inorganic matter increase related to eutrophication in Gamak Bay, South KoreaYoung Sik Lee
Aquaculture Environment Institute, NFRDI, Tongyeong si, Kyeongsangnam do, South Korea
J Environ Biol 30:373-80. 2009..To regulate the increase of organic matter in Gamak Bay, controlling phytoplankton growth, particularly by regulating the input of N or P, may be more important than controlling the input of terrestrial organic matter...
- High pH-resistant, surface-bonded sol-gel titania hybrid organic-inorganic coating for effective on-line hyphenation of capillary microextraction (in-tube solid-phase microextraction) with high-performance liquid chromatographyTae Young Kim
Department of Chemistry, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 33620 5250, USA
J Chromatogr A 1047:165-74. 2004..Extraction characteristics of a sol-gel titania-PDMS capillary remained practically unchanged after continuous rinsing with a 0.1 M NaOH solution (pH 13) for 12h...
- UV-embossed inorganic-organic hybrid nanopillars for bioapplicationsS Aura
Department of Micro and Nanosciences, Helsinki University of Technology, Fl 02015, Finland
J Nanosci Nanotechnol 9:6710-5. 2009..The use of the hybrid nanopillars as a hydrophobic/philic platforms and as sample plates in surface assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry is demonstrated...
- Effect of a carbon source on polyphosphate accumulation in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeVladimir M Vagabov
Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow, Russia
FEMS Yeast Res 8:877-82. 2008..The polyphosphate nature of fraction polyP5 was demonstrated for the first time by (31)P nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, enzymatic assay, and electrophoresis...
- Quantitative affinity of genetically engineered repeating polypeptides to inorganic surfacesUrartu O S Seker
Materials Science and Engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Biomacromolecules 10:250-7. 2009....
- Nanostructuring of organic-inorganic hybrid materials for distributed feedback laser resonators by two-photon polymerizationThomas Woggon
Light Technology Institute and Center for Functional Nanostructures, Universitat Karlsruhe TH, Kaiserstrasse 12, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Opt Express 17:2500-7. 2009..This enabled us to uniformly nano-structure the surface grating over an area of 200 x 200 microm(2)...
- On pore-fluid viscosity and the wave properties of saturated granular materials including marine sedimentsMichael J Buckingham
Marine Physical Laboratory, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, California 92093 0238, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 122:1486. 2007..This includes the frequency regime between 1 and 10 kHz occupied by Schock's chirp sonar data, where the viscosity of the pore fluid appears to have a discernible effect on the dispersion curves...
- Ultralow thermal conductivity of atomic/molecular layer-deposited hybrid organic-inorganic zincone thin filmsJun Liu
Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado, 80309, United States
Nano Lett 13:5594-9. 2013..Science 2004, 303, 989-990], which suggests that the dramatic material difference between organic and inorganic materials may provide a route for producing materials with ultralow thermal conductivity. ..
- Dihydrobenzoic acid modified nanoparticle as a MALDI-TOF MS matrix for soft ionization and structure determination of small molecules with diverse structuresMei Chun Tseng
Institute of Chemistry, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 21:1930-9. 2010....
- A review of the status of alternative approaches to animal testing and the development of integrated testing strategies for assessing the toxicity of chemicals under REACH--a summary of a DEFRA-funded project conducted by Liverpool John Moores University Christina Grindon
Fund for the Replacement of Animals in Medical Experiments, Russell and Burch House, 96 98 North Sherwood Street, Nottingham NG1 4EE, UK
Altern Lab Anim 34:149-58. 2006..This paper is a prelude to a series of individual papers on detailed suggestions for applying non-animal methods to each of the major toxicity endpoints in REACH...
- Impact of organic and inorganic nanomaterials in the soil microbial community structureVerónica Nogueira
Department of Biology, University of Aveiro, Campus Universitario de Santiago, P 3810 193 Aveiro, Portugal
Sci Total Environ 424:344-50. 2012..The analysis of similarities (ANOSIM) of DGGE profiles showed that gold nanorods, TiO(2), CMC, HM-CMC, HM-PEG, and SDS/DDAB have significantly affected the structural diversity of the soil bacterial community...
- Methods to Detect Maternal Exposures and Child OutcomesSUZANNE W MCDERMOTT; Fiscal Year: 2012..This is the second phase in our investigation that builds on our findings of suspect inorganic chemicals (As and Cr) and improved statistical methods to conduct analyses of spatial relationships...
- Housing Stress and Wheeze/Asthma in Urban ChildrenMegan Sandel; Fiscal Year: 2008..Study of the relative importance of housing stress in urban populations may result in more targeted housing interventions and policy change to impact public health. ..
- GLUTATHIONE AND MITOCHONDRIA IN TOXIC RENAL INJURYLawrence Lash; Fiscal Year: 2003..This information may have therapeutic applications for prevention of renal cellular injury or for understanding mitochondrial diseases or age-related decreases that occur in mitochondrial function. ..
- Biological and Bio-Inspired Materials and DevicesTrevor Douglas; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Structural Analysis of Voltage-gated Potassium ChannelsROBERT BLAUSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR TOXICOLOGY IN HUMAN KIDNEY CELLSLawrence Lash; Fiscal Year: 2007..Achievement of these aims should build on our previous work in human kidney cells and extend it to provide a much more complete understanding of the various and complex ways in which DCVC affects the human kidney [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Polarization Spectroscopy and Imaging of Pre-CancerKonstantin Sokolov; Fiscal Year: 2008..The inexpensive optical sensors proposed here can immediately benefit health care by reducing the number of unnecessary biopsies, enabling combined diagnosis and therapy, and reducing the need for clinical expertise. ..
- Targeted MRI with Protein Cage Architectures (RMI)Trevor Douglas; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Wearable Organic Electric Film RFID Sensors for Monitoring of Airborne ToxicantsRadislav A Potyrailo; Fiscal Year: 2010..This new sensing approach will provide a wearable, cost-effective, selective sensor for de- tection of toxic volatile species. ..