Genomes and Genes
Summary: A botanical insecticide that is an inhibitor of mitochondrial electron transport.
Publications325 found, 100 shown here
- Rotenone, paraquat, and Parkinson's diseaseCaroline M Tanner
The Parkinson s Institute, Sunnyvale, California 94085, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:866-72. 2011..Certain pesticides may affect these mechanisms, but no pesticide has been definitively associated with PD in humans...
- Mitochondrial complex I inhibitor rotenone induces apoptosis through enhancing mitochondrial reactive oxygen species productionNianyu Li
Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories, Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907, USA
J Biol Chem 278:8516-25. 2003Inhibition of mitochondrial respiratory chain complex I by rotenone had been found to induce cell death in a variety of cells. However, the mechanism is still elusive...
- Induction of apoptotic erythrocyte death by rotenoneAdrian Lupescu
Department of Physiology, University of Tuebingen, Gmelinstrasse 5, 72076 Tuebingen, Germany
Toxicology 300:132-7. 2012The pesticide rotenone stimulates apoptosis and rotenone intoxication has been considered a cause of Parkinson's disease. Rotenone further sensitizes tumor cells to cytotoxic drugs...
- Production of reactive oxygen species by mitochondria: central role of complex IIIQun Chen
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 278:36027-31. 2003..Limitation of electron transport by the inhibitor rotenone immediately before ischemia decreases the production of ROS in cardiac myocytes and reduces damage to ..
- Chronic systemic pesticide exposure reproduces features of Parkinson's diseaseR Betarbet
Department of Neurology, Emory University, 1639 Pierce Drive, WMB 6000, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Nat Neurosci 3:1301-6. 2000..We report that chronic, systemic inhibition of complex I by the lipophilic pesticide, rotenone, causes highly selective nigrostriatal dopaminergic degeneration that is associated behaviorally with hypokinesia ..
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress and the unfolded protein response in cellular models of Parkinson's diseaseElizabeth J Ryu
Department of Pathology, Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Neurosci 22:10690-8. 20026-hydroxydopamine, 1-methyl-4-phenyl-pyridinium (MPP+), and rotenone cause the death of dopaminergic neurons in vitro and in vivo and are widely used to model Parkinson's disease...
- Potential autophagy enhancers attenuate rotenone-induced toxicity in SH-SY5YN Xiong
Department of Neurology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Hubei 430022, China
Neuroscience 199:292-302. 2011..2 μM) or lithium (LiCl, 10 mM) significantly enhanced cell viability, decreased rotenone-induced nuclear fragmentation and apoptosis, ameliorated the decrease in mitochondrial membrane potential, ..
- Topology of superoxide production from different sites in the mitochondrial electron transport chainJulie St-Pierre
MRC Medical Research Council Dunn Human Nutrition Unit, Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 2XY, England
J Biol Chem 277:44784-90. 2002..However, when complex I was fully reduced using rotenone, rat mitochondria released significantly more hydrogen peroxide than pigeon mitochondria...
- Progression of Parkinson's disease pathology is reproduced by intragastric administration of rotenone in miceFrancisco Pan-Montojo
Institute of Anatomy, Medical Faculty Carl Gustav Carus, Dresden University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
PLoS ONE 5:e8762. 2010..Here we report that intragastrically administered rotenone, a commonly used pesticide that inhibits Complex I of the mitochondrial respiratory chain, is able to reproduce ..
- Oxidative and inflammatory pathways in Parkinson's diseaseRebecca L Miller
Department of Medical Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO, 65212, USA
Neurochem Res 34:55-65. 2009..Environmental toxins including (1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine) MPTP, paraquat and rotenone have been shown to increase the risk of PD in humans...
- A highly reproducible rotenone model of Parkinson's diseaseJason R Cannon
Pittsburgh Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Department of Neurology, University of Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Neurobiol Dis 34:279-90. 2009The systemic rotenone model of Parkinson's disease (PD) accurately replicates many aspects of the pathology of human PD and has provided insights into the pathogenesis of PD...
- Rapamycin protects against rotenone-induced apoptosis through autophagy inductionT Pan
Parkinson Disease Research Laboratory, Department of Neurology, Baylor College of Medicine, One Baylor Plaza, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Neuroscience 164:541-51. 2009..Mitochondrial complex I inhibitor rotenone, which causes dysfunction mitochondria and UPS, has been considered as one of the neurotoxins related to PD...
- Rotenone-induced caspase 9/3-independent and -dependent cell death in undifferentiated and differentiated human neural stem cellsJiang Li
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin at Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705 2222, USA
J Neurochem 92:462-76. 2005..stem cells (hNSCs) and their differentiated cultures as a model system to evaluate the mechanism(s) involved in rotenone (RO)- and camptothecin (CA)-induced cytotoxicity...
- Critical role for microglial NADPH oxidase in rotenone-induced degeneration of dopaminergic neuronsHui Ming Gao
Neuropharmacology Section, Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Neurosci 23:6181-7. 2003..Chronic exposure to rotenone, a common herbicide, reproduces features of Parkinsonism in rats...
- Rotenone inhibits autophagic flux prior to inducing cell deathBurton J Mader
Department of Pathology, Neuropathology Division, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
ACS Chem Neurosci 3:1063-72. 2012b>Rotenone, which selectively inhibits mitochondrial complex I, induces oxidative stress, α-synuclein accumulation, and dopaminergic neuron death, principal pathological features of Parkinson's disease...
- Rotenone inhibits mammalian cell proliferation by inhibiting microtubule assembly through tubulin bindingPallavi Srivastava
School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, India
FEBS J 274:4788-801. 2007b>Rotenone, a widely used insecticide, has been shown to inhibit mammalian cell proliferation and to depolymerize cellular microtubules...
- Rotenone-induced apoptosis is mediated by p38 and JNK MAP kinases in human dopaminergic SH-SY5Y cellsKathleen Newhouse
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7234, USA
Toxicol Sci 79:137-46. 2004b>Rotenone is a naturally derived pesticide that has recently been shown to evoke the behavioral and pathological symptoms of Parkinson's disease in animal models...
- Neonatal exposure to lipopolysaccharide enhances vulnerability of nigrostriatal dopaminergic neurons to rotenone neurotoxicity in later lifeLir Wan Fan
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Newborn Medicine, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Neurobiol Dis 44:304-16. 2011..By P70, when LPS-induced behavioral deficits were spontaneously recovered, animals were challenged with rotenone, a commonly used pesticide, through subcutaneous mini-pump infusion at a dose of 1.25 mg/kg per day for 14 days...
- Delayed gastric emptying and enteric nervous system dysfunction in the rotenone model of Parkinson's diseaseJames G Greene
Department of Neurology, Emory University School of Medicine, 505H Whitehead Biomedical Research Bldg, 615 Michael St, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Exp Neurol 218:154-61. 2009..We report that the parkinsonian neurotoxin and mitochondrial complex I inhibitor rotenone causes delayed gastric emptying and enteric neuronal dysfunction when administered chronically to rats in the ..
- Rotenone induces oxidative stress and dopaminergic neuron damage in organotypic substantia nigra culturesClaudia M Testa
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 134:109-18. 2005b>Rotenone, a pesticide and complex I inhibitor, causes nigrostriatal degeneration similar to Parkinson disease pathology in a chronic, systemic, in vivo rodent model [M. Alam, W.J...
- Subcutaneous rotenone exposure causes highly selective dopaminergic degeneration and alpha-synuclein aggregationTodd B Sherer
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Department of Neurology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA 30032, USA
Exp Neurol 179:9-16. 2003Previous studies demonstrated that chronic systemic exposure to the pesticide and mitochondrial toxin rotenone through jugular vein cannulation reproduced many features of Parkinson's disease (PD) in rats, including nigrostriatal ..
- Mitochondrial complex I inhibition is not required for dopaminergic neuron death induced by rotenone, MPP+, or paraquatWon Seok Choi
Toxicology Program, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7234, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:15136-41. 2008..Although dopaminergic neurons were more sensitive than other neurons in these cultures to cell death induced by rotenone, MPP(+), or paraquat treatments, the absence of complex I activity did not protect the dopaminergic neurons, as ..
- Valproic acid is neuroprotective in the rotenone rat model of Parkinson's disease: involvement of alpha-synucleinBarbara Monti
Department of Biology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Neurotox Res 17:130-41. 2010..of nigro-striatal dopaminergic neurons is obtained through sub-chronic administration of the mitochondrial toxin, rotenone, via osmotic mini pumps implanted to rats...
- Rotenone-induced G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in a human B lymphoma cell line PWJ S Armstrong
Department of Radiation Oncology, Stanford University Medical Center, Stanford, California 94305 5105, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:973-8. 2001Concentrations of rotenone (ROT) that block electron flow through mitochondrial complex I (100 nM) did not significantly alter either cell viability or the growth of PW cells...
- Neurodegeneration of mouse nigrostriatal dopaminergic system induced by repeated oral administration of rotenone is prevented by 4-phenylbutyrate, a chemical chaperoneMasatoshi Inden
Department of Neurobiology and 21st Century COE Program, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurochem 101:1491-1504. 2007..Previous studies have demonstrated that chronic systemic exposure of Lewis rats to rotenone produced many features of PD, and cerebral tauopathy was also detected in the case of severe weight loss...
- JNK3 mediates paraquat- and rotenone-induced dopaminergic neuron deathWon Seok Choi
Toxicology Program in the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, Graduate Program in Neurobiology and Behavior, Institute for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 69:511-20. 2010..kinase 3 (JNK3), a neural-specific JNK isoform, in dopaminergic neuron death induced by the pesticides rotenone and paraquat. The role of JNK3 was evaluated using RNA silencing and gene deletion to block JNK3 signaling...
- Integrating multiple aspects of mitochondrial dynamics in neurons: age-related differences and dynamic changes in a chronic rotenone modelBeth Arnold
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Neurology and Pittsburgh Institute for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Pittsburgh, PA 15260, USA
Neurobiol Dis 41:189-200. 2011..We sought to explore this using a chronic neuronal model (nonlethal low-concentration rotenone over several weeks), examining distal neurites, which may give insight into the earliest changes occurring in PD...
- The neuroprotective effects of purslane (Portulaca oleracea) on rotenone-induced biochemical changes and apoptosis in brain of ratAhmed E Abdel Moneim
Department of Zoology and Entomology, Faculty of Science, Helwan University, 11795 Helwan, Cairo, Egypt
CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 12:830-41. 2013..5 mL/Kg bwt) on rotenone (12 mg/Kg bwt for 12 days) induced biochemical changes and apoptosis in striatum of rats were also examined...
- Glycogen synthase kinase-3β activation mediates rotenone-induced cytotoxicity with the involvement of microtubule destabilizationHaruyuki Hongo
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 426:94-9. 2012b>Rotenone, a mitochondrial complex I inhibitor, has been used to generate animal and cell culture models of Parkinson's disease. Recent studies suggest that microtubule destabilization causes selective dopaminergic neuronal loss...
- Celastrol protects human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells from rotenone-induced injury through induction of autophagyYong Ning Deng
Department of Neurology, First Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Xi an Jiao Tong University, Xi an 710061, China
Neurochem Int 63:1-9. 2013..We tested the protective effect of celastrol on rotenone-induced injury and investigated the underlying mechanism using human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells...
- α-Synuclein transgenic mice reveal compensatory increases in Parkinson's disease-associated proteins DJ-1 and parkin and have enhanced α-synuclein and PINK1 levels after rotenone treatmentSonia George
Department of Pathology, The University of Melbourne, Parkville, Melbourne, Victoria 3010, Australia
J Mol Neurosci 42:243-54. 2010..Since treatment of rodents with the pesticide rotenone can reproduce nigrostriatal cell loss and other features of PD, we aimed to test chronic oral administration of ..
- Distinct effects of rotenone, 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium and 6-hydroxydopamine on cellular bioenergetics and cell deathSamantha Giordano
Department of Pathology, Center for Free Radical Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, United States of America
PLoS ONE 7:e44610. 2012..For example, rotenone, 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) and its active metabolite 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium (MPP(+)..
- Free tubulin modulates mitochondrial membrane potential in cancer cellsEduardo N Maldonado
Center for Cell Death, Injury and Regeneration, Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Cancer Res 70:10192-201. 2010..Microtubule destabilizers, rotenone, colchicine, and nocodazole, and the microtubule stabilizer paclitaxel increased and decreased cellular free ..
- Neuroprotection of kaempferol by autophagy in models of rotenone-mediated acute toxicity: possible implications for Parkinson's diseaseGiuseppe Filomeni
Department of Biology, University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy
Neurobiol Aging 33:767-85. 2012This study aims to elucidate the processes underlying neuroprotection of kaempferol in models of rotenone-induced acute toxicity...
- Alterations in bioenergetic function induced by Parkinson's disease mimetic compounds: lack of correlation with superoxide generationBrian P Dranka
Department of Biophysics and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
J Neurochem 122:941-51. 2012..Similar results were found using rotenone as a mitochondrial inhibitor, or 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA) as a mechanistically distinct PD neurotoxicant, but ..
- Mitochondrial complex I inhibitor rotenone-induced toxicity and its potential mechanisms in Parkinson's disease modelsNian Xiong
Department of Neurology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Hubei 430022, China
Crit Rev Toxicol 42:613-32. 2012..exposure, many laboratories, including ours, have recently developed parkinsonian models by utilization of rotenone, a well-known mitochondrial complex I inhibitor...
- Stress-induced alterations in parkin solubility promote parkin aggregation and compromise parkin's protective functionCheng Wang
Neurodegeneration Research Laboratory, National Neuroscience Institute, Singapore
Hum Mol Genet 14:3885-97. 2005..culture and in vivo models, we demonstrate here that several PD-linked stressors, including neurotoxins (MPP+, rotenone, 6-hydroxydopamine), paraquat, NO, dopamine and iron, induce alterations in parkin solubility and result in its ..
- Oxidants induce alternative splicing of alpha-synuclein: Implications for Parkinson's diseaseShasi V Kalivendi
Center for Chemical Biology, Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Uppal Road, Hyderabad 500 607, India
Free Radic Biol Med 48:377-83. 2010..Using parkinsonism mimetics (MPP(+), rotenone) and related oxidants, we have identified an oxidant-induced alternative splicing of alpha-syn mRNA, generating a ..
- Structural basis for depletion of heat shock protein 90 client proteins by deguelinSeung Hyun Oh
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, 1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 99:949-61. 2007..Deguelin is a rotenoid with antitumor activities. We investigated whether the antitumor activities of deguelin involve the functional inhibition of Hsp90...
- Distinct role for microglia in rotenone-induced degeneration of dopaminergic neuronsHui Ming Gao
Neuropharmacology Section, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Neurosci 22:782-90. 2002..In experimental animals the exposure to a common herbicide, rotenone, induces features of parkinsonism; mechanistically, rotenone-induced destruction of dopaminergic neurons has been ..
- Environmental toxins trigger PD-like progression via increased alpha-synuclein release from enteric neurons in miceFrancisco Pan-Montojo
Institute for Anatomy, TU Dresden, Fetscherstr 74, 01307, Dresden, Germany
Sci Rep 2:898. 2012..Moreover, our results show that an environmental toxin (i.e. rotenone) promotes the release of alpha-synuclein by enteric neurons and that released enteric alpha-synuclein is up-taken ..
- Apoptosis induction by the natural product cancer chemopreventive agent deguelin is mediated through the inhibition of mitochondrial bioenergeticsN Hail
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Apoptosis 9:437-47. 2004..These results demonstrate that deguelin induces apoptosis in skin cancer cells by inhibiting mitochondrial bioenergetics and provide a novel mechanism for the putative anticancer activity of this agent...
- Neuroprotective effects of ginsenoside-Rg1 in primary nigral neurons against rotenone toxicityK W Leung
Department of Biology, Hong Kong Baptist University, Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
Neuropharmacology 52:827-35. 2007..isolated from ginseng, demonstrated neuroprotective effects on primary cultured rat nigral neurons against rotenone toxicity...
- Effects of rotenone and pyridaben on complex I electron transfer and on mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase functional activityAna Navarro
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, University of Cadiz, Plaza Fragela 9, 11003 Cadiz, Spain
J Bioenerg Biomembr 42:405-12. 2010b>Rotenone and pyridaben were tested on activities and properties of rat brain mitochondria determining Ki (inhibitor concentration at half maximal inhibition) and Imax (% of inhibition at maximal inhibitor concentration)...
- Proteomic identification of a stress protein, mortalin/mthsp70/GRP75: relevance to Parkinson diseaseJinghua Jin
Department of Pathology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
Mol Cell Proteomics 5:1193-204. 2006..Manipulations of mortalin level in dopaminergic neurons resulted in significant changes in sensitivity to PD phenotypes via pathways involving mitochondrial and proteasomal function as well as oxidative stress...
- Increased striatal dopamine turnover following acute administration of rotenone to miceC Thiffault
The Parkinson s Institute, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA
Brain Res 885:283-8. 2000..potential role of mitochondrial dysfunction in nigrostriatal degeneration in Parkinson's disease, the effects of rotenone (an inhibitor of mitochondrial NADH dehydrogenase and a naturally occurring toxicant) on the levels of striatal ..
- Rotenone induces apoptosis in MCF-7 human breast cancer cell-mediated ROS through JNK and p38 signalingYea Tzy Deng
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Mol Carcinog 49:141-51. 2010b>Rotenone is an inhibitor of the mitochondrial electron transport chain complex I, resulting in the generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS)...
- Parkinsonian rotenone mouse model: reevaluation of long-term administration of rotenone in C57BL/6 miceMasatoshi Inden
Department of Neurobiology, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 34:92-6. 2011Chronic systemic exposure of Lewis rats to rotenone produced many features of Parkinson's disease (PD), including nigrostriatal dopamine (DA) neurodegeneration and the formation of cytoplasmic inclusions in nigral DA neurons...
- Selective microglial activation in the rat rotenone model of Parkinson's diseaseTodd B Sherer
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Emory University, 30322, Atlanta, GA, USA
Neurosci Lett 341:87-90. 2003Chronic rotenone exposure reproduces features of Parkinson's disease (PD) (Nat. Neurosci. 3 (2000) 1301; Exp. Neurol. 179 (2003) 9). We investigated the role of glial activation in rotenone toxicity in vivo...
- Nicotinic receptor stimulation protects nigral dopaminergic neurons in rotenone-induced Parkinson's disease modelsHiroki Takeuchi
Department of Neurology, Graduate School of Medicine, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurosci Res 87:576-85. 2009..To assess the protective effect of nicotine against rotenone-induced DA neuronal cell toxicity, we examined the neuroprotective effects of nicotine in rotenone-induced PD ..
- Mitochondrial function and morphology are impaired in parkin-mutant fibroblastsHeather Mortiboys
Academic Neurology Unit, Medical School, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom
Ann Neurol 64:555-65. 2008..The aim of our study was to determine mitochondrial function and morphology in parkin-mutant patients. We also investigated whether pharmacological rescue of impaired mitochondrial function may be possible in parkin-mutant human tissue...
- Pesticide/environmental exposures and Parkinson's disease in East TexasAmanpreet S Dhillon
Department of Occupational Health Sciences, University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Tyler, Texas 75708, USA
J Agromedicine 13:37-48. 2008..is little human data on risk associated with specific pesticide products, including organic pesticides such as rotenone with PD...
- Redox-dependent modulation of aconitase activity in intact mitochondriaAnne Laure Bulteau
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4970, USA
Biochemistry 42:14846-55. 2003....
- Drosophila DJ-1 mutants are selectively sensitive to environmental toxins associated with Parkinson's diseaseMarc Meulener
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Curr Biol 15:1572-7. 2005..however, they display a striking selective sensitivity to those environmental agents, including paraquat and rotenone, linked to PD in humans...
- Spare respiratory capacity rather than oxidative stress regulates glutamate excitotoxicity after partial respiratory inhibition of mitochondrial complex I with rotenoneNagendra Yadava
Buck Institute for Age Research, Novato, California 94945, USA
J Neurosci 27:7310-7. 2007Partial inhibition of mitochondrial respiratory complex I by rotenone reproduces aspects of Parkinson's disease in rodents...
- Neuronal expression of a single-subunit yeast NADH-ubiquinone oxidoreductase (Ndi1) extends Drosophila lifespanSepehr Bahadorani
Department of Physiological Science, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1527, USA
Aging Cell 9:191-202. 2010..These findings are consistent with the idea that enhanced respiratory chain activity in neuronal tissue can prolong fly lifespan...
- Differential effects of mitochondrial Complex I inhibitors on production of reactive oxygen speciesRomana Fato
Dipartimento di Biochimica G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1787:384-92. 2009..Our results indicate that different Complex I inhibitors can be grouped into two classes: Class A inhibitors (Rotenone, Piericidin A and Rolliniastatin 1 and 2) increase ROS production; Class B inhibitors (Stigmatellin, Mucidin, ..
- Hydrogen sulfide inhibits rotenone-induced apoptosis via preservation of mitochondrial functionLi Fang Hu
Department of Pharmacology, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Mol Pharmacol 75:27-34. 2009..The present study was undertaken to investigate the effects of H(2)S on cell injury induced by rotenone, a commonly used toxin in establishing in vivo and in vitro Parkinson's disease (PD) models, in human-derived ..
- Opening of microglial K(ATP) channels inhibits rotenone-induced neuroinflammationFang Zhou
Jiangsu Key Laboratory of Neurodegeneration, Department of Anatomy Histology, Pharmacology Nanjing Medical University Nanjing, Jiangsu, P R China
J Cell Mol Med 12:1559-70. 2008..channel opener pinacidil and selective mitochondrial K(ATP) (mito-K(ATP)) channel opener diazoxide prevented rotenone-induced microglial activation and production of pro-inflammatory factors (tumour necrosis factor[TNF]-alpha and ..
- Mechanism of toxicity of pesticides acting at complex I: relevance to environmental etiologies of Parkinson's diseaseTodd B Sherer
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta, Georgia 15213, USA
J Neurochem 100:1469-79. 2007Parkinson's disease (PD) has been linked to mitochondrial dysfunction and pesticide exposure. The pesticide rotenone (ROT) inhibits complex I and reproduces features of PD in animal models, suggesting that environmental agents that ..
- Neuroprotection of deferoxamine on rotenone-induced injury via accumulation of HIF-1 alpha and induction of autophagy in SH-SY5Y cellsYuncheng Wu
Department of Neurology, Shanghai First People s Hospital, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai 200080, PR China
Neurochem Int 57:198-205. 2010..In this study, we showed that the protein level of HIF-1 alpha was decreased in rotenone or MPP(+)-treated SH-SY5Y cell models of Parkinson's disease...
- Near-infrared light via light-emitting diode treatment is therapeutic against rotenone- and 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium ion-induced neurotoxicityH L Liang
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Neuroscience 153:963-74. 2008..The current study tested our hypothesis that LED treatment can protect neurons from both rotenone- and MPP(+)-induced neurotoxicity...
- Mitochondrial localization of alpha-synuclein protein in alpha-synuclein overexpressing cellsShaik Shavali
Department of Pathology, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 501 North Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58202, USA
Neurosci Lett 439:125-8. 2008..HEK-syn cells); and whether alpha-syn overexpression causes cells to be more vulnerable to mitochondrial toxin, rotenone. Western blotting and confocal microscopy techniques were employed to assess localization of alpha-syn in the ..
- Leber hereditary optic neuropathy mtDNA mutations disrupt glutamate transport in cybrid cell linesSimone Beretta
Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Technologies, University of Milano Bicocca, San Gerardo Hospital, Monza, MI, Italy
Brain 127:2183-92. 2004..This observation is particularly relevant since EAAT1 is the major means of glutamate removal in the inner retina and this prevents retinal ganglion cells being damaged as a result of excitotoxicity...
- Rotenone enhances the antifungal properties of staurosporineAna Castro
Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, Porto, Portugal
Eukaryot Cell 9:906-14. 2010..Following this finding, we determined that the complex I-specific inhibitor rotenone used in combination with staurosporine results in a synergistic and specific antifungal activity, likely through ..
- Mechanistic investigations of low dose exposures to the genotoxic compounds bisphenol-A and rotenoneGeorge E Johnson
Institute of Life Science, School of Medicine, Swansea University, Singleton Park, Swansea SA2 8PP, Wales, UK
Mutat Res 651:56-63. 2008..These present studies have demonstrated that the plastics component bisphenol-A (BPA) and the natural pesticide rotenone induce micronuclei and modify the functioning of the microtubule organising centres (MTOCs) of the mitotic ..
- Acetyl-L-carnitine and α-lipoic acid affect rotenone-induced damage in nigral dopaminergic neurons of rat brain, implication for Parkinson's disease therapySawsan A Zaitone
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia, Egypt
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 100:347-60. 2012..to investigate the protective role of two bioenergetic antioxidants, acetyl-L-carnitine and α-lipoic acid, in rotenone-parkinsonian rats. Ninety six male rats were divided into five groups...
- Therapeutic effects of human mesenchymal and hematopoietic stem cells on rotenone-treated parkinsonian miceMasatoshi Inden
Department of Clinical and Translational Physiology, Kyoto Pharmaceutical University, Yamashina ku, Kyoto, Japan
J Neurosci Res 91:62-72. 2013..cells--mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs), bone marrow CD34(+) cells (BM), and cord blood CD34(+) cells (CB)--using rotenone-treated NOD/SCID mice...
- Effect of fraxetin and myricetin on rotenone-induced cytotoxicity in SH-SY5Y cells: comparison with N-acetylcysteineM Francisca Molina-Jimenez
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense, Plaza de Ramón y Cajal s n 28040, Madrid, Spain
Eur J Pharmacol 472:81-7. 2003..was to investigate the potential neuroprotective effects of myricetin (flavonoid) and fraxetin (coumarin) on rotenone-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y cells, and the possible signal pathway involved in a neuronal cell model of ..
- Deguelin promotes apoptosis and inhibits angiogenesis of gastric cancerHyunseung Lee
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Clinical Research Center, College of Medicine, Inha University, Jung Gu, Incheon 400 712, Republic of Korea
Oncol Rep 24:957-63. 2010..Deguelin may be a potential agent in inhibiting the progression of gastric cancer by virtue of its activity on these crucial cell characteristics...
- Protective effects of baicalein against rotenone-induced neurotoxicity in PC12 cells and isolated rat brain mitochondriaXiao Xiu Li
National Center for Pharmaceutical Screening, Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, No 1 Xian Nong Tan Street, Beijing 100050, PR China
Eur J Pharmacol 674:227-33. 2012..Firstly, we investigated the effects of baicalein on rotenone-induced toxicity in PC12 cells...
- Pretreatment with near-infrared light via light-emitting diode provides added benefit against rotenone- and MPP+-induced neurotoxicityRong Ying
Department of Cell Biology, Neurobiology and Anatomy, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Brain Res 1243:167-73. 2008..The present study used these specific mitochondrial complex I inhibitors (rotenone and 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridinium or MPP(+)) on striatal and cortical neurons in culture...
- Mitochondrion-derived reactive oxygen species lead to enhanced amyloid beta formationKristina Leuner
Department of Pharmacology, ZAFES, Biocenter, University of Frankfurt, Frankfurt Main, Germany
Antioxid Redox Signal 16:1421-33. 2012..We asked whether mitochondrion-derived reactive oxygen species (ROS) are sufficient to increase Aβ generation and thereby initiate a vicious cycle further impairing mitochondrial function...
- Rotenone and CCCP inhibit tyrosine hydroxylation in rat striatal tissue slicesYoko Hirata
Department of Biomolecular Science, Faculty of Engineering, Gifu University, 1 1 Yanagido, Gifu 501 1193, Japan
Toxicology 216:9-14. 2005Complex I inhibition has been implicated in the neurotoxicity of MPTP and rotenone, which reproduce a neurochemical and neuropathological feature of Parkinson's disease in experimental animals...
- Analysis of alpha-synuclein-associated proteins by quantitative proteomicsYong Zhou
Department of Pathology and Medicinal Chemistry, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington 98104, USA
J Biol Chem 279:39155-64. 2004..we quantitatively compared protein profiles of AS-associated protein complexes in MES cells exposed to rotenone, a pesticide that produces parkinsonism in animals and induces Lewy body (LB)-like inclusions in the remaining ..
- Protocatechuic acid inhibits apoptosis by mitochondrial dysfunction in rotenone-induced PC12 cellsYe Ming Liu
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian 116024, China
Toxicol In Vitro 22:430-7. 2008..However, the mechanism how PCA suppresses rotenone-induced neurotoxicity in cultured PC12 cells remains unclear...
- Ca2+-induced oxidative stress in brain mitochondria treated with the respiratory chain inhibitor rotenoneSolange C Sousa
Departamento de Patologia Cli nica, Faculdade de Ciencias Medicas, Universidade Estadual de Campinas, SP 13083 970, Campinas, Brazil
FEBS Lett 543:179-83. 2003..micromolar Ca(2+) concentrations (>10 microM) strongly stimulate the release of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in rotenone-treated isolated rat forebrain mitochondria...
- Deguelin inhibits the growth of colon cancer cells through the induction of apoptosis and cell cycle arrestG Murillo
Department of Surgical Oncology, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, IL 60613, USA
Eur J Cancer 38:2446-54. 2002..Based on these data, the potential of deguelin to serve as a cancer chemotherapeutic agent for colon cancer may be suggested...
- Efficacy of deguelin and silibinin on benzo(a)pyrene-induced lung tumorigenesis in A/J miceYing Yan
Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, Campus Box 8109, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Neoplasia 7:1053-7. 2005..Thus, deguelin appears to be a promising new preventive agent for lung cancer and may be considered for further studies in other animal models and in clinical trials...
- Basic fibroblast growth factor protects against rotenone-induced dopaminergic cell death through activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases 1/2 and phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase pathwaysShih Ling Hsuan
Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7234, USA
J Neurosci 26:4481-91. 2006Administration of rotenone to rats reproduces many features of Parkinson's disease, including dopaminergic neuron degeneration, and provides a useful model to study the pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease...
- Involvement of p53 in cell death following cell cycle arrest and mitotic catastrophe induced by rotenoneAntónio Pedro Gonçalves
IBMC Instituto de Biologia Molecular e Celular, Universidade do Porto, Rua do Campo Alegre 823, 4150 180 Porto, Portugal
Biochim Biophys Acta 1813:492-9. 2011In order to investigate the cell death-inducing effects of rotenone, a plant extract commonly used as a mitochondrial complex I inhibitor, we studied cancer cell lines with different genetic backgrounds...
- Both stereoselective (R)- and (S)-1-Methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline enantiomers protect striatal terminals against rotenone-induced suppression of dopamine releaseLucyna Antkiewicz-Michaluk
Department of Neurochemistry, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Smetna 12, 31 343, Krakow, Poland
Neurotox Res 20:134-49. 2011..p.) on rotenone-induced (3 mg/kg s.c.) behavioral and neurochemical changes in the rat...
- Edaravone guards dopamine neurons in a rotenone model for Parkinson's diseaseNian Xiong
Department of Neurology, Union Hospital, Tongji Medical College, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Hubei, China
PLoS ONE 6:e20677. 2011..In this study, we investigated its neuroprotective effects in a chronic rotenone rat model for Parkinson's disease...
- Activation of c-Jun N-terminal protein kinase is a common mechanism underlying paraquat- and rotenone-induced dopaminergic cell apoptosisHeather Klintworth
Toxicology Program in the Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7234, USA
Toxicol Sci 97:149-62. 2007..cultured dopaminergic neurons to investigate mechanisms for dopaminergic cell death induced by paraquat and rotenone, pesticides that are used to model PD in rodents...
- Rotenone-mediated changes in intracellular coenzyme A thioester levels: implications for mitochondrial dysfunctionSankha S Basu
Centers for Cancer Pharmacology and Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6160, United States
Chem Res Toxicol 24:1630-2. 2011b>Rotenone, an organic pesticide and potent mitochondrial complex I inhibitor, causes Parkinson-like neurodegeneration in rodents and is implicated in human Parkinson's disease...
- Rotenone inhibits the mitochondrial permeability transition-induced cell death in U937 and KB cellsC Chauvin
, , 38041 Grenoble, France
J Biol Chem 276:41394-8. 2001..links between the PTP and the respiratory chain complex I have been reported, we have investigated the effects of rotenone on PTP regulation in U937 and KB cells...
- Parkin protects dopaminergic neurons against microtubule-depolymerizing toxins by attenuating microtubule-associated protein kinase activationYong Ren
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, State University of New York, Buffalo, New York 14214, USA
J Biol Chem 284:4009-17. 2009..prevented parkin from protecting midbrain dopaminergic neurons against microtubule-depolymerizing toxins such as rotenone or colchicine...
- Rotenone induces cell death in primary dopaminergic culture by increasing ROS production and inhibiting mitochondrial respirationKhaled Radad
Department of Pathology and Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Assiut University, Assiut, Egypt
Neurochem Int 49:379-86. 2006..from embryonic mouse mesencephala were applied to investigate the toxic effects and underlying mechanisms of rotenone-induced neuronal cell death relevant to Parkinson's disease...
- Deguelin, an Akt inhibitor, suppresses IkappaBalpha kinase activation leading to suppression of NF-kappaB-regulated gene expression, potentiation of apoptosis, and inhibition of cellular invasionAsha S Nair
Department of Experimental Therapeutics, Cytokine Research Laboratory, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
J Immunol 177:5612-22. 2006..Our results demonstrate that deguelin inhibits the NF-kappaB activation pathway, which may explain its role in the suppression of carcinogenesis and cellular proliferation...
- DJ-1 protects dopaminergic neurons against rotenone-induced apoptosis by enhancing ERK-dependent mitophagyH Gao
Beijing Institute for Neuroscience, Capital Medical University, Key Laboratory for Neurodegenerative Disease of the Ministry of Education, Beijing Center of Neural Regeneration and Repair, Beijing Key Laboratory of Brain Major Disorders State Key Lab Incubation Base, Beijing Neuroscience Disciplines, Beijing 100069, China
J Mol Biol 423:232-48. 2012..Cultured DA cells (MN9D) overexpressing DJ-1 were treated with the mitochondrial complex I inhibitor, rotenone. In addition, rotenone was injected into the left substantia nigra of rats 4weeks after injection with a DJ-1 ..
- Prostaglandin A1 inhibits rotenone-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y cellsXiaoxia Wang
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, Experimental Therapeutics Branch, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Neurochem 83:1094-102. 2002..an inducer of heat shock proteins (HSPs), we exposed human dopaminergic SH-SY5Y cells to the complex I inhibitor rotenone. Dose-dependent apoptosis was preceded by the nuclear translocation of NF-kappaB and then the activation of ..
- Ceruloplasmin protects against rotenone-induced oxidative stress and neurotoxicityAkiyo Hineno
Department of Medicine Neurology and Rheumatology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Matsumoto 390 8621, Japan
Neurochem Res 36:2127-35. 2011..mice on the C57BL/10 genetic background and further treated them with a mitochondrial complex I inhibitor, rotenone. There was no iron accumulation in the brains of CP⁻/⁻ mice at least up to 60 weeks of age...
- Protein aggregation containing β-amyloid, α-synuclein and hyperphosphorylated τ in cultured cells of hippocampus, substantia nigra and locus coeruleus after rotenone exposureRodrigo S Chaves
Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
BMC Neurosci 11:144. 2010..5, 1, 10 and 25 nM of rotenone, which is an agricultural pesticide, for 48 hours.
- Attenuation of rotenone-induced mitochondrial oxidative damage and neurotoxicty in Drosophila melanogaster supplemented with creatineRavikumar Hosamani
Department of Biochemistry and Nutrition, Central Food Technological Research Institute, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Mysore, India
Neurochem Res 35:1402-12. 2010..This study investigated the neuroprotective effects of Cr against rotenone induced oxidative stress, mortality and neurotoxicty in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Down-regulation of inhibitor of apoptosis proteins by deguelin selectively induces apoptosis in breast cancer cellsXiang Hong Peng
Department of Surgery, Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University School of Medicine, Clinic C, Room C 4088, 1365 C Clifton Road, NE Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Mol Pharmacol 71:101-11. 2007....
- Hypertonic induction of COX-2 in collecting duct cells by reactive oxygen species of mitochondrial originTianxin Yang
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Utah and Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Salt Lake City, Utah 84148, USA
J Biol Chem 280:34966-73. 2005..to hypertonic treatment were completely blocked by any one of the mitochondrial inhibitors tested, such as rotenone, thenoyltrifluoroacetone, or carbonyl cyanide m-chlorophenylhydrazone, associated with remarkable inhibition of ..
- Paraquat neurotoxicity is distinct from that of MPTP and rotenoneJason R Richardson
Center for Neurodegenerative Disease, School of Medicine and Department of Environmental and Occupational Health, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Toxicol Sci 88:193-201. 2005Paraquat, MPTP, and rotenone reproduce features of Parkinson's disease (PD) in experimental animals...
- Identification of novel antiangiogenic anticancer activities of deguelin targeting hypoxia-inducible factor-1 alphaSeung Hyun Oh
Department of Thoracic Head and Neck Medical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
Int J Cancer 122:5-14. 2008..Considering that HIF-1alpha is overexpressed in a majority of human cancers, deguelin could offer a potent therapeutic agent for cancer...
- D2/D3 receptor agonist ropinirole protects dopaminergic cell line against rotenone-induced apoptosis through inhibition of caspase- and JNK-dependent pathwaysSheng Chen
Department of Neurology, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, PR China
FEBS Lett 582:603-10. 2008..We showed that ropinirole can prevent rotenone-induced apoptosis in dopaminergic cell line SH-SY5Y through D3 receptor...
- Rotenone prevents impact-induced chondrocyte deathWendy Goodwin
Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, 1182 ML, The University of Iowa, 500 Newton Rd, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
J Orthop Res 28:1057-63. 2010..Most positive cells were found within and near areas contacted directly by the impact platen. Rotenone, an electron transport chain inhibitor, was used to test the hypothesis that mitochondria contribute to ..
- Epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) potentiates the cytotoxicity of rotenone in neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cellsWoon Gye Chung
Department of Chemistry, Oregon State University Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Brain Res 1176:133-42. 2007Exposure to rotenone, a widely used pesticide, has been suggested to increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease...
- FLOW AND METABOLIC TRACER KINETICS IN HEARTRobert Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Rotenone and its analogues are neutral, lipophilic compounds that are potent inhibitors of Complex 1 of the mitochondrial ..
- Deep Brain Stimulation in Parkinson's ModelsMarjorie Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2006..In the proposed studies, the ability of chronic administration of the insecticide rotenone, to produce an animal model of Parkinson's disease will first be tested in monkeys...
- Purkinje Origin of Ischemic Ventricular Tachycardia and FibrillationJames B Martins; Fiscal Year: 2013..Drugs to be infused to block VT/VF include TEMPO (30 mg/kg,) apocynin (4 mg/kg,) diphenyleneiodine (7.6 mg/kg,) rotenone (9.5 mg/kg,) oxipurinol (3.7 mg/kg,) KN-93 (0.2 <g/kg,) KN-92 (0.2 <g/kg) administered randomly...
- GI Endotoxin as an Environmental Trigger in an alpha-Synuclein Transgenic MouseRobert L Nussbaum; Fiscal Year: 2012..We will expose these transgenic animals to gram-negative endotoxin and rotenone, two agents frequently considered as environmental toxins most strongly implicated in PD...
- Testing the efficacy of PGC-1alpha as a therapeutic target for Parkinson's diseasHANS BUELER; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, we found that PGC-1a reduces rotenone- induced oxidative stress in neuronal cell...
- Role of NADPH oxidase 1-derived ROS in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's diseaseYoon Seong Kim; Fiscal Year: 2012..NOX1 was induced by oxidative stress such as 6-OHDA and mitochondrial toxin, rotenone. Inhibition of Rac1, a key component for Nox activation or Nox1 knockdown led to protection of substantia nigra ..
- Astrocyte Control of Toxin-Mediated Neuron Death: Role of the Gamma-Glutamyl PathGeorge I Henderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Aim one will utilize cultures of neurons and astrocytes, alone and in co-culture, to address the direct impact of rotenone, paraquat, and E on astrocyte and neuron components of the ?-glutamyl cycle...
- Detoxification of Biogeneic Aldehydes in Parkinson's DiseaseRandy Strong; Fiscal Year: 2013..Human and animal studies have established a link between environmental exposure to paraquat, maneb and rotenone in idiopathic or sporadic PD...
- NET-PD LS-1 Nicotine and Neuroprotection in Parkinson's DiseaseJayaraman Rao; Fiscal Year: 2013..The factors inducing mitochondrial distress in human PD are unknown. Exogenous (MPTP and rotenone) and endogenous neurotoxins (increased free radicals) induce severe damage to Complex I of the electron transfer ..
- Oxidative Stress, Mitochondrial Dysfunction and AgingJOHN NMN PAPACONSTANTINOU; Fiscal Year: 2010..factors and mitochondriai factors in the aged liver and in response to signals due to ROS generation by 3-NPA, rotenone, and antimycin A, inhibitors of mitochondrial complexes I, II and III. P1...
- Cytokine Enhancement of Myeloid Progenitor Cell SurvivalHal E Broxmeyer; Fiscal Year: 2013..2b. Modify ROS generation and its effects on HSC/HPC via treatment with ROS scavengers (i.e. NAC), and pro-oxidant conditions (i.e. rotenone) in context of hypoxia vs. normoxia.
- GENETICS OF MPTP-INDUCED PARKINSONISMRichard Smeyne; Fiscal Year: 2009..blockade or transfer of GSTpi on cell death following administration of MPTP in vitro and in vivo;3) Develop the rotenone model of experimental Parkinsonism in mice and determine if GSTp2 is altered in response to rotenone;4) Determine ..
- MOLECULAR REMEDY OF MITOCHONDRIAL DEFECTSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2013..A new animal model has been developed that involves infusion of rotenone-biobeads into the superior colliculus of the rat brain...
- Oxidative modification of brain proteins in pesticide intoxicationPIER MASTROBERARDINO; Fiscal Year: 2009..designed to identify those proteins that get oxidized following the administration of two different pesticides, rotenone or paraquat, and to validate their potential use as biomarkers in antioxidant therapy...
- Plasma Mitochondrial Peptide Assays as Biomarkers of Environmental Toxin ExposurePinchas Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will also examine the in vitro effects of the mitochondrial toxins Rotenone and Doxorubicin on cell lines and primary cultures in terms of their effect on the expression and production of ..
- DJ-1 in Astrocyte-Mediated Neuroprotection Against Complex I InhibitorsJ Timothy Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 2013..Several pesticides, including rotenone, also selectively inhibit complex I and cause SNpc dopaminergic neurodegeneration in animal models...
- Dopamine, mutant synuclein, oxidative stress and inflammationHoward J Federoff; Fiscal Year: 2010..Efforts to elucidate thls mechanism have been aided by the linkage between toxicant (e.g., MPTP, paraquat. rotenone) injury, oxidative stress, inherited defects in turnover of the presynaptic and Lewy Body constituent protein a-..
- Genetic and Environmental Risk Factors for PSPIrene Litvan; Fiscal Year: 2010..between PSP occupational and/or environmental chemical exposures functionally or structurally similar to rotenone/acetogenins;and 3) if hypertension or traumatic brain injury prior to symptom-onset is associated with PSP...
- Early life brain inflammation and vulnerability to neurodegeneration in late lifeLir Wan Fan; Fiscal Year: 2013..susceptibility of DA neurons in the SN in the adult brain to an ordinarily non-toxic or sub-toxic dose of rotenone, thus, resulting in actual loss of DA neurons and PD-like symptoms...
- MtDNA damage as a biomarker for environmental mitochondrial toxicityJ Timothy Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 2013..For example, when rats are exposed to rotenone chronically, they develop selective degeneration of the nigrostriatal dopamine system similar to Parkinson ..
- Alpha-synuclein RNAi in a model of sporadic Parkinson's diseaseEDWARD ALAN BURTON; Fiscal Year: 2012..of sporadic PD, in which partial systemic mitochondrial complex I impairment, induced by daily intraperitoneal rotenone delivery, causes a highly reproducible lesion of the substantia nigra, including formation of prominent [..
- GATA2 as a therapeutic target in Parkinson's diseaseMAX PARVEN HOROWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the substantia nigra (SN), and these features are reproduced animal models of PD that use the pesticide rotenone. Both 1-syn and iron accumulate in nigral dopamine neurons and are cytotoxic;however, the mechanism underlying ..
- Pathogenic Mechanisms of Environmental Toxicants in Parkinson's DiseaseLian Li; Fiscal Year: 2012..Many of these toxicants, such as rotenone, paraquat, and 1-methyl-4- phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP), have been shown to increase the levels of ..
- LRRK2 and NeurodegenerationBenjamin L Wolozin; Fiscal Year: 2013..to stresses associated with increased protein misfolding and protection against mitochondrial toxins, such as rotenone and paraquat. Knockdown of lrk-1, the C. elegans homologue of LRRK2, has the opposite effects and renders C...
- DNA Damage and Repair in Parkinsons DiseaseLaurie H Sanders; Fiscal Year: 2011..A combination of molecular, biochemical and cellular techniques using rotenone models of PD and human postmortem brain tissues will be utilized...
- Perinatal infection, cytokines and brain injuryZhengwei Cai; Fiscal Year: 2011..susceptibility of DA neurons in the SN in the adult brain to an ordinarily non-toxic or sub-toxic dose of rotenone, resulting in actual loss of DA neurons and development of PD-like symptoms...
- A Role of hUCP2 in Mitochondrial Quality Control and Dopaminergic NeuroprotectionYIH WOEI CHIU FRIDELL; Fiscal Year: 2013..We recently reported that hucp2 expression in Drosophila DA neurons protects flies against rotenone-induced DA neuron death and head dopamine depletion...
- GENETICS AND MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF PARKINSONISMDennis Dickson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Project 3 uses cell lines that inducibly express alpha-synuclein as well as mitochondrial toxins, such as rotenone, to study truncated and aggregated alpha-synuclein with the goal of determining the role of interacting proteins ..
- Environmental toxin interactions with genetic risks for Parkinson's diseaseDAVID EVAN KRANTZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..the neurotoxic effects of at least one mutant gene associated with PD (parkin), and at least one pesticide (rotenone) that selectively kills dopaminergic neurons...
- Mechanisms of pesticides-induced neuronal apoptosisZhengui Xia; Fiscal Year: 2013..if complex I inhibition is a main mechanism underlying dopaminergic neuron degeneration induced by the MPTP and rotenone models of PD in vivo and to elucidate complex I inhibition-independent mechanisms of cell death...
- Gene-environment interactions in transgenic rat models of Parkinson diseaseJ Timothy Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will examine the effects of a clinically relevant pesticide, rotenone, on phenotypic outcomes in transgenic rat models of PD...
- Oxygenated Species of Cardiolipins as Biomarkers of Mitochondrial DysfunctionYulia Y Tyurina; Fiscal Year: 2013The goal of this application is to identify phospholipid biomarkers of environmentally-induced (rotenone- induced) mitochondrial dysfunction associated with Parkinson's disease PD...
- Retrograde Signaling in Alcohol-Induced Mitochondrial Stress and Biogenesis.Neil Kaplowitz; Fiscal Year: 2009..biogenesis in cell culture models (HepG2 cells and primary mouse hepatocytes) of mitochondrial damage using rotenone, antimycin A, or expression of Cyp2e1 in mitochondria with the goals of (a) characterizing the detailed time ..
- Interaction Between Genes and the Mitochondria in ParkinBenjamin L Wolozin; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will mainly use rotenone as the model toxin for complex I disruption...
- 122I GENERATOR AND RADIOTRACERS FOR PERFUSION STUDIESThomas Budinger; Fiscal Year: 1999..will be selected from the best of 122I-labeled amphetaminium, piperazinium and imipraminium quaternary amines and rotenone classes of compounds after studies in red cell perfused rabbit heart preparations and dog PET studies...
- Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Parkinson's DiseaseDavid Ron; Fiscal Year: 2004..Recent experiments from our lab indicate that 6-hydroxydopamine and Rotenone, toxins implicated in experimental and environmental PD, cause an imbalance between the folding capacity of the ..
- REGULATION OF MEMBRANE MEDIATED MUSCLE DEGENERATIONSyamal Bhattacharya; Fiscal Year: 1992..SR purity will be assessed by the rotenone-insensitive NADPH-cytochrome C-reductase activity...
- MYOCARDIAL ORGANELLE LIPID STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONWilliam Weglicki; Fiscal Year: 1980..We have shown activation of the Na ion, K ion)-ATPase by lysolecithin; dramatic inhibition of enriched microsomal rotenone-insensitive NADH cytochrome c reductase by lysolecithin has been found as well...
- Mitochondrial Response to Oxidative StressDANIEL BOGENHAGEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..A number of cellular toxins, including rotenone, 1-methyl-4-phenylpyridine (MPP+) and paraquat act to impair mitochondrial electron transport, generating ROS...
- Mitochondrial Metabiolites to Treat Parkinson's DiseaseBruce Ames; Fiscal Year: 2005..our hypothesis using behavioral, biochemical, and immunohistochemical techniques on two models of PD: the chronic rotenone-exposed SK-N-MC human neuroblastoma cell model and the chronic rotenone-treated rat model...
- Protective Role of Mitochondrial Vitamin E in ParkinsonDavid Ross; Fiscal Year: 2004..E (1400 IU TA/kg diet) result in dramatic T enrichment of hepatic mito membranes which completely prevented rotenone- and ferrous iron-induced necrotic cell death in rat hepatocytes...
- PESTICIDE-SYNUCLEIN: RISK FACTORS FOR PARKINSON'SSatinder Sarang; Fiscal Year: 2004..pesticide exposure and PD, and pesticides that cause oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction, such as rotenone and paraquat, are used in cellular and animal models of PD...
- TETRAHYDROISOQUINOLINES AND PARKINSON'S DISEASEMark leDoux; Fiscal Year: 2006..The insecticide rotenone can inhibit complex I of the respiratory chain and cause Parkinsonism in rats...
- MYOCARDIAL FLOW, FUNCTION AND METABOLISM BY PET AND MRIThomas Budinger; Fiscal Year: 2001..Project IV provides new radiopharmaceutical chemistry, specifically 18F- labeled mitochondrial probes (rotenone and rhodamine) and new 122-I-labeled PET perfusion agents with some superior attributes relative to other PET ..
- Novel Tc-99m labeled rotenone complexes cardiac imagingTIMOTHY SHOUP; Fiscal Year: 2002..Radiolabeled rotenone analogs have been shown to posses excellent myocardial extraction characteristics over a range of blood flow ..
- New PET Radiotracers-Monoamine TransportersMichael Kilbourn; Fiscal Year: 2003..will be directly and simultaneously compared in the acute MPTP, unilateral 6-hydroxydopamine, and chronic rotenone animal models of PD...
- EMORY COLLABORATIVE CENTER: PD ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCHMahlon Delong; Fiscal Year: 2007..Project 1 expands the rotenone model of PD into mice and organotypic slice cultures in order to examine geneenvironment interactions in this ..
- MODELS OF PARKINSONS DISEASE--THERAPEUTIC IMPLICATIONSMahlon Delong; Fiscal Year: 2003..The proposed model employs chronic systemic inhibition of complex I by rotenone in rodents with possible extension to primates...
- Molecular mechanism of selective neuronal vulnerabilityJames Greene; Fiscal Year: 2009..to damage in human PD and in animal models of PD, such as administration of the mitochondrial complex I poison rotenone (a common pesticide) to rats. This is in contrast to the relative resistance of other types of neurons...
- OXIDATIVE STRESS IN PARKINSON'S DISEASEJames Bennett; Fiscal Year: 2004..This proposal will also compare findings in PD cybrids with those in SY5Y cells exposed to chronic rotenone treatment, a pharmacological cell-based model of complex I loss...
- A TOXIN BASED DROSOPHILA PARKINSON'S DISEASE MODELGeoffrey Stilwell; Fiscal Year: 2005..toxicity and behavioral deficits in flies treated with the prototypical systemic complex I inhibitor compound, rotenone. Once operational, this model will take advantage of the extensive preexisting genetic and molecular tools ..
- MECHANISMS OF SELECTIVE NEURONAL VULNERABILITYJ Greenamyre; Fiscal Year: 1993..Second, a fluorescein moiety will be linked to rotenone and binding of this compound will be used to localize complex I at the cellular level with fluorescence ..
- The neuroprotective effect of tetrahydrobiopterinUn Kang; Fiscal Year: 2007..the neuroprotective function of BH4 against PD models such as 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine, rotenone toxicity, and glutathione depletion will be tested in vivo and in organotypic slice cultures, using hph-1 mice ..
- Lung Cancer Chemoprevention using DeguelinHo Young Lee; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- ACUTE RENAL FAILURE--IMPACT OF FLUORINATED ANESTHETICSRICHARD ZAGER; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- NADH-UBIQUINONE REDUCTASE OF PARACOCCUS DENITRIFICANSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2011..In order to develop therapies for diseases caused by deficiencies of this enzyme, it is a prerequisite to investigate why and how defects occur. ..
- Iron Therapy in Renal Disease: Potential ToxicitiesRICHARD ZAGER; Fiscal Year: 2008..Potential reasons for these differences will be assessed, with the ultimate goal of defining the safest way of administering parenteral irons to renal disease patients. ..
- MOLECULAR REMEDY OF MITOCHONDRIAL DEFECTSTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2009..2) Construction of animal models for human diseases caused by complex I defects. (3) Protection by the Ndi1 enzyme against tissue degradation caused by complex I deficiencies. ..
- Development of therapies to retard Parkinson's diseaseTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2003..Recently, it was demonstrated that rotenone, which is a specific inhibitor for complex 1, induces Parkinsonian-like symptoms...
- Development of therapies to retard Parkinson's diseaseTakao Yagi; Fiscal Year: 2008..of agents that cause complex I inhibition (such as 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) or rotenone) induces PD-like symptoms in primates or rodents...
- Parkin--In vivo Function and Role in Parkinson's DiseaseJian Feng; Fiscal Year: 2004..This animal model would also be a valuable tool for the development of more effective therapeutic strategies for PD patients. ..
- NITRIC OXIDE AND PROTEIN NITROTYROSINE IN THE MPTP MODELSerge Przedborski; Fiscal Year: 2002..This proposal contains a comprehensive set of experiments, which should provide important insights into the role of NO in MPTP toxicity. It should also shed light on the mechanism(s) of neurodegeneration in PD. ..
- Regulation of CART Expression in Rat Nucleus AccumbensDouglas Jones; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..