Genomes and Genes
Summary: A narcotic analgesic that can be used for the relief of most types of moderate to severe pain, including postoperative pain and the pain of labor. Prolonged use may lead to dependence of the morphine type; withdrawal symptoms appear more rapidly than with morphine and are of shorter duration.
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Oral ketamine/midazolam is superior to intramuscular meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine for pediatric cardiac catheterizationS M Auden
Departments of Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, and Family and Community Medicine of the University of Louisville and Kosair Children s Hospital, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Anesth Analg 90:299-305. 2000An IM combination of meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine (DPT) has been given as sedation for pediatric procedures for more than 40 years...
- Meperidine versus valethamate bromide in shortening the duration of active laborBulent Yilmaz
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Zekai Tahir Burak Women s Health, Education and Research Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Gynaecol Obstet 107:126-9. 2009To compare the efficacy and safety of meperidine hydrochloride and valethamate bromide against placebo in shortening the duration of active labor.
- Chronic Parkinsonism in humans due to a product of meperidine-analog synthesisJ W Langston
Science 219:979-80. 1983..On the basis of the striking parkinsonian features observed in our patients, and additional pathological data from one previously reported case, it is proposed that this chemical selectively damages cells in the substantia nigra...
- Side effects of opioids during short-term administration: effect of age, gender, and raceM Soledad Cepeda
Department of Anesthesiology, and Clinical Epidemiology Unit Javeriana Univeristy, Bogota, Colombia
Clin Pharmacol Ther 74:102-12. 2003..Our objective was to evaluate the effect of the type of opioid, age, gender, and race on the incidence of side effects from short-term opioid use...
- Nurse-administered propofol versus midazolam and meperidine for upper endoscopy in cirrhotic patientsBrian R Weston
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:2440-7. 2003..Propofol is currently under evaluation as an alternative to the combination of midazolam and meperidine for sedation during endoscopic procedures...
- CYP2B6, CYP3A4, and CYP2C19 are responsible for the in vitro N-demethylation of meperidine in human liver microsomesJacqueline Ramirez
University of Chicago, Department of Medicine, Section of Hematology Oncology, 5841 S Maryland Avenue, MC2115, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 32:930-6. 2004b>Meperidine is an opioid analgesic metabolized in the liver by N-demethylation to normeperidine, a potent stimulant of the central nervous system...
- Propofol alone versus propofol in combination with meperidine for sedation during colonoscopyYu Hsi Hsieh
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Medicine, Buddhist Dalin Tzu Chi General Hospital, Chia Yi, Taiwan, ROC
J Clin Gastroenterol 43:753-7. 2009..Both propofol alone and propofol in combination with meperidine are frequently used during colonoscopy, but the impact of adding meperidine has not been evaluated...
- Apoptosis of human carcinoma cells in the presence of potential anti-cancer drugs: III. Treatment of Colo-205 and SKBR3 cells with: cis -platin, Tamoxifen, Melphalan, Betulinic acid, L-PDMP, L-PPMP, and GD3 gangliosideSubhash Basu
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN 46556, USA
Glycoconj J 20:563-77. 2004..However, apoptosis in carcinoma cells in the presence of cis -platin is induced by a caspase 3 activation pathway without any increase in synthesis of ceramide...
- Obstetric analgesia: a comparison of patient-controlled meperidine, remifentanil, and fentanyl in labourM R Douma
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, HagaZiekenhuis location Red Cross, PO Box 60605, 2506 LP The Hague, The Netherlands
Br J Anaesth 104:209-15. 2010To compare the analgesic efficacy of remifentanil with meperidine and fentanyl in a patient-controlled setting (patient-controlled analgesia, PCA).
- Dexmedetomidine and meperidine additively reduce the shivering threshold in humansAnthony G Doufas
Outcomes Research Institute and the Department of Anesthesiology, Louisville, KY, USA
Stroke 34:1218-23. 2003..b>Meperidine and dexmedetomidine each linearly reduce the shivering threshold (triggering core temperature) with minimal ..
- Plasma concentrations of meperidine and normeperidine following continuous intrathecal meperidine in patients with neuropathic cancer painJ H Vranken
Department of Anesthesiology, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, Meibergdreef 9, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 49:665-70. 2005Intrathecal administration of meperidine, an opioid with local anesthetic activity, can induce analgesia in patients with intractable cancer pain...
- Physostigmine prevents postanesthetic shivering as does meperidine or clonidineE P Horn
Department of Anesthesiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany
Anesthesiology 88:108-13. 1998..Accordingly, the authors tested the hypothesis that physostigmine administration inhibits postanesthetic shivering. Its efficacy was compared with that of saline (negative control) and meperidine and clonidine (positive controls).
- Maternal analgesia during labor disturbs newborn behavior: effects on breastfeeding, temperature, and cryingA B Ransjö-Arvidson
Division of Reproductive and Perinatal Health Care at the Department of Women and Child Health, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Birth 28:5-12. 2001....
- Disposition and clinical outcome after intraperitoneal meperidine and ropivacaine administration during laparoscopic surgeryMichael J Paech
Pharmacology and Anaesthesiology Unit, School of Medicine and Pharmacology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anesth Analg 106:278-86, table of contents. 2008Limited evidence supports the efficacy of intraperitoneal (IP) meperidine or local anesthetic for postoperative analgesia...
- Meperidine (Demerol) safety issuesChristine Koczmara
Dynamics 16:8-12. 2005
- Ondansetron and meperidine prevent postoperative shivering after general anesthesiaMasoud Entezari Asl
Ardebil University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 21:67-70. 2011..Postoperative shivering is one of the common problems following general anesthesia and may lead to multiple complications. The aim of this study was to examine the preventive effects of Ondansetron and Meperidine on postoperative shivering.
- Meperidine, remifentanil and tramadol but not sufentanil interact with alpha(2)-adrenoceptors in alpha(2A)-, alpha(2B)- and alpha(2C)-adrenoceptor knock out mice brainJan Höcker
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 582:70-7. 2008..Furthermore opioids like meperidine show potent anti-shivering effects like alpha(2)-adrenoceptor agonists...
- Effects of tramadol and meperidine on respiration, plasma catecholamine concentrations, and hemodynamicsL H Mildh
Department of Anesthesia, Helsinki University Hospital, Finland
J Clin Anesth 11:310-6. 1999To evaluate the effects of high analgesic doses of tramadol and meperidine on respiration, plasma catecholamine concentrations, and hemodynamic parameters.
- Comparison of the effects of intravenous midazolam alone and in combination with meperidine on hemodynamic and respiratory responses and on patient compliance during upper gastrointestinal endoscopy: a randomized, double-blind trialA Melih Ozel
Department of Gastroentorology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpafla Training Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey
Turk J Gastroenterol 19:8-13. 2008..during gastroscopy in healthy subjects and compared the changes with midazolam alone versus in combination with meperidine. The aim of this study was to evaluate if either method had any advantages or disadvantages with respect to ..
- Antishivering effects of two different doses of intrathecal meperidine in caesarean section: a prospective randomised blinded studyZahid H Khan
Department of Anesthesiology, Tehran University of Medical Science, Imam Khomeini Medical Center, Keshavarz Blvd, Tehran 1419733141, Iran
Eur J Anaesthesiol 28:202-6. 2011Shivering causes various adverse disturbances and interferes with monitoring. The optimal dose of intrathecal meperidine to prevent shivering without producing other side-effects remains unknown...
- Comparison of dihydroergotamine with metoclopramide versus meperidine with promethazine in the treatment of acute migraineE R Scherl
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Kentucky College of Medicine, Lexington, USA
Headache 35:256-9. 1995..27 migraineurs into a prospective, randomized, double-blind study where each patient received either 75 mg meperidine with 25 mg promethazine IM or .5 mg dihydroergotamine with 10 mg metoclopramide IV...
- Comparison of intravenous ketorolac, meperidine, and both (balanced analgesia) for renal colicW H Cordell
Emergency Medicine and Trauma Center, Methodist Hospital of Indiana, USA
Ann Emerg Med 28:151-8. 1996..the analgesic efficacy and safety of IV ketorolac, the only nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug indicated for parenteral use in acute pain in the United States, with IV meperidine and with a combination of the two agents in renal colic.
- The effect of oral and subcutaneous meperidine on the maximal electroshock seizure (MES) in miceD O Yillar
University of Istanbul, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology 34303 Cerrahpaşa, Istanbul, Turkey
J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 20:159-68. 2009The likely effect of oral and subcutaneous meperidine on maximal electroshock seizure (MES) in mice was studied. Convulsive current fifty (CC50) was assessed to be 46m A, an electrical pulse causing seizure in 50% of test animals...
- Cesarean delivery: a randomized trial of epidural analgesia versus intravenous meperidine analgesia during labor in nulliparous womenShiv K Sharma
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9068, USA
Anesthesiology 96:546-51. 2002..In this study, the authors compared epidural analgesia to intravenous meperidine analgesia using patient-controlled devices during labor to evaluate the effects of labor epidural analgesia, ..
- Meperidine and the management of pain: what you need to knowMary Todd
Lippincotts Case Manag 9:241-2. 2004
- Prevalence of meperidine use in older surgical patientsBenjamin S Kornitzer
The Brookdale Department of Geriatrics and Adult Development, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1 Gustave L Levy Place, New York, NY 10029, USA
Arch Surg 141:76-81. 2006The unique toxic and adverse effects of meperidine hydrochloride have prompted a number of expert panels convened by national health care policy organizations to recommend that meperidine not be used in older patients...
- Remifentanil versus meperidine for monitored anesthesia care: a comparison study in older patients undergoing ambulatory colonoscopyP E Greilich
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Dallas, USA
Anesth Analg 92:80-4. 2001..This study was designed to test the hypothesis that a remifentanil infusion would be superior to boluses of meperidine in older patients undergoing ambulatory colonoscopy...
- Efficacy of tramadol versus meperidine for pain relief and safe recovery after adenotonsillectomyZ Ozer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Reanimation, Mersin University Medical Faculty, Mersin, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:920-4. 2003Adequate relief of pain after tonsillectomy is a common problem. We compared meperidine and tramadol when given at induction of anaesthesia with respect to their effects on postoperative pain relief and emergence characteristics after ..
- Pethidine--does familiarity or evidence perpetuate its use?Tamara Kredo
Groote Schuur Hospital
S Afr Med J 95:100-1. 2005
- Eliminating analgesic meperidine use with a supported formulary restrictionAlec B O'Connor
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, USA
Am J Med 118:885-9. 2005b>Meperidine is a commonly used analgesic despite unique disadvantages compared with other opioid analgesics...
- Preemptive peritonsillar ketamine infiltration: postoperative analgesic efficacy versus meperidineMohamed Ibrahim El Sonbaty
Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 21:43-51. 2011The current study was planned to assess post-tonsillectomy analgesic efficacy of pre-emptive peritonsillar ketamine infiltration with or without bupivacaine in comparison to meperidine alone or in combination with bupivacaine.
- Clinical trial: a randomized, study comparing meperidine (pethidine) and fentanyl in adult gastrointestinal endoscopyD J Robertson
VA Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 29:817-23. 2009There is little evidence to guide choice between meperidine (pethidine) and fentanyl for sedation for gastrointestinal endoscopy.
- A comparison of the local anesthetic effects of meperidine, fentanyl, and sufentanil on dorsal root axonsR A Jaffe
Department of Anesthesia, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305, USA
Anesth Analg 83:776-81. 1996..Clinically, both meperidine and sufentanil can produce segmental sensory anesthesia...
- A randomized study of combined spinal-epidural analgesia versus intravenous meperidine during labor: impact on cesarean delivery rateD R Gambling
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, USA
Anesthesiology 89:1336-44. 1998..This study compares the operative delivery rates associated with a CSE technique and those associated with intravenous meperidine for labor analgesia.
- Transient neurological symptoms after subarachnoid meperidineWilfred R Lewis
Department of Anesthesiology, VA Connecticut Healthcare System, West Haven, Connecticut 06516, USA
Anesth Analg 94:213-4, table of contents. 2002..This syndrome has not been reported with the subarachnoid use of opioids. This case report describes TNS that occurred after administration of subarachnoid meperidine, an opioid with local anesthetic properties.
- Determinants of prescribing meperidine compared to morphine in hospitalized patientsMukta Panda
Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee College of Medicine, Chattanooga Unit, 960 East Third Street, Chattanooga, TN 37403, USA
Pain 110:337-42. 2004Morphine is a preferred narcotic since meperidine forms toxic metabolites. Determinants of meperidine use have been poorly described...
- A prospective study of 2 sedation regimens in children: chloral hydrate, meperidine, and hydroxyzine versus midazolam, meperidine, and hydroxyzineMarianne M Sheroan
University of Louisville School of Dentistry, Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Anesth Prog 53:83-90. 2006..to compare both the behavioral and physiological effects of 2 drug regimens in children: chloral hydrate (CH), meperidine (M), and hydroxyzine (H) (regimen A) versus midazolam (MZ), M, and H (regimen B)...
- Anesthetic efficacy of lidocaine/meperidine for inferior alveolar nerve blocks in patients with irreversible pulpitisJason Bigby
Department of Endodontics, College of Dentistry, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
J Endod 33:7-10. 2007..single-blind study was to compare the anesthetic efficacy of lidocaine with epinephrine to lidocaine plus meperidine with epinephrine for inferior alveolar nerve blocks (IAN) in patients with mandibular posterior teeth ..
- Propofol versus midazolam/meperidine for outpatient colonoscopy: administration by nurses supervised by endoscopistsBrian W Sipe
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 55:815-25. 2002..Propofol is under evaluation as a sedative for endoscopic procedures...
- Deep sedation occurs frequently during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolamSandeep Patel
Section of Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2689-95. 2005..The aims of this study were to prospectively evaluate the incidence and risk factors of deep sedation during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolam intended to maintain a level of moderate sedation.
- Buspirone and meperidine synergistically reduce the shivering thresholdM Mokhtarani
Department of Anesthesia, University of California, San Francisco, USA
Anesth Analg 93:1233-9. 2001..We tested the hypothesis that the combination of buspirone (a serotonin 1A partial agonist) and meperidine synergistically reduces the shivering threshold (triggering tympanic membrane temperature) to at least 34 ..
- Meperidine exerts agonist activity at the alpha(2B)-adrenoceptor subtypeKoji Takada
Department of Anesthesia, Toyonaka Municipal Hospital, Osaka, Japan
Anesthesiology 96:1420-6. 2002The opioid agonist meperidine has actions, such as antishivering, that are more pronounced than those of other opioid agonists and that are not blocked with nonselective opioid antagonists...
- Gastroenterologist-administered propofol versus meperidine and midazolam for advanced upper endoscopy: a prospective, randomized trialJohn J Vargo
Department of Gastroenterology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Gastroenterology 123:8-16. 2002..There has been no prospective, randomized comparison of gastroenterologist-administered propofol to meperidine and midazolam for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and endoscopic ultrasonography...
- Seizures in an Alzheimer's disease patient as a complication of colonoscopy premedication with meperidineJerry Nagler
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Dig Dis Sci 53:62-4. 2008We describe the first reported case of generalized tonic-clonic seizures induced by meperidine premedication for a colonoscopy procedure in a 63-year-old woman with Alzheimer's disease...
- Remifentanil vs. meperidine for patient-controlled analgesia during colonoscopy: a randomized double-blind trialLorella Fanti
Department of Gastroenterology, Vita Salute University of Milano, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1119-24. 2009The aim was to compare patients' and endoscopists' satisfaction in terms of efficacy and safety of remifentanil patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) during colonoscopy with that of a combination of midazolam and meperidine.
- Propofol infusion versus intermittent meperidine and midazolam injection for conscious sedation in ERCPPradermchai Kongkam
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 17:291-7. 2008..This study was conducted to compare satisfaction, recovery score, and recovery/safety profiles for ERCP sedation between continuous infusion of propofol and conventional sedation...
- The relative efficacy of meperidine for the treatment of acute migraine: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trialsBenjamin W Friedman
Department of Emergency Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY 10467, USA
Ann Emerg Med 52:705-13. 2008Despite guidelines recommending against opioids as first-line treatment for acute migraine, meperidine is the agent used most commonly in North American emergency departments...
- Intrathecal meperidine decreases shivering during cesarean delivery under spinal anesthesiaJean Denis Roy
Département d Anesthésiologie, Hopital Maisonneuve Rosemont, Universite de Montreal, 5415 Boul l Assomption, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H1T 2M4
Anesth Analg 98:230-4, table of contents. 2004..We performed this prospective, double-blinded, and randomized study to determine whether intrathecal meperidine (0.2 mg/kg) decreases the incidence and intensity of shivering after spinal anesthesia for cesarean delivery...
- Bispectral index monitoring of conscious sedation with the combination of meperidine and midazolam during endoscopyMohammed A Qadeer
Section of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:102-8. 2008..Thus, we performed a prospective observational study to assess its ability for detecting deep sedation during endoscopy...
- The effect of meperidine and promethazine on fetal heart rate indices during the active phase of laborIdo Solt
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 4:178-80. 2002..Visual interpretation of fetal heart rare monitoring is subject to intra- and inter-observer variability...
- Intra-articular lidocaine versus intravenous meperidine/diazepam in anterior shoulder dislocation: a randomised clinical trialR Shariat Moharari
Imam Khomeini Hospital, Medical Sciences University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
Emerg Med J 25:262-4. 2008..Intravenous opiates and benzodiazepines are traditionally prescribed in order to relieve the pain in this group of patients; however, complications always pose a problem...
- Nurse-administered propofol sedation compared with midazolam and meperidine for EUS: a prospective, randomized trialJohn DeWitt
Departments of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University Medical Center and Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:499-509. 2008The utility of nurse-administered propofol sedation (NAPS) compared with midazolam and meperidine (M/M) for EUS is not known.
- Comparative study of intra-articular lidocaine and intravenous meperidine/diazepam for shoulder dislocationsMichael Orlinsky
Department of Emergency Medicine, LAC USC Medical Center, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, California 90033, USA
J Emerg Med 22:241-5. 2002..purpose of this study was to compare the analgesic effectiveness of intra-articular lidocaine versus intravenous meperidine and diazepam during the reduction of anterior shoulder dislocations...
- Remifentanil by patient-controlled analgesia compared with intramuscular meperidine for pain relief in labourJ A Thurlow
Department of Anaesthesia, Southmead Hospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, UK
Br J Anaesth 88:374-8. 2002..The pharmacokinetics of remifentanil suggests that it may be suitable for analgesia during labour...
- The effect of meperidine-impregnated autogenous free fat grafts on postoperative pain management in lumbar disc surgeryErdal Kalkan
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Meram Medicine, Selcuk University, Konya, Turkey
J Spinal Disord Tech 21:92-5. 2008..Prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical study...
- Narcotic analgesic effects on the sphincter of Oddi: a review of the data and therapeutic implications in treating pancreatitisD R Thompson
Department of Internal Medicine, Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75246, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1266-72. 2001..induces "spasm" in the sphincter of Oddi (SO) and should not be used in acute pancreatitis and that meperidine is the analgesic of choice because it does not elevate SO pressures...
- A dose-response study of intravenous regional anesthesia with meperidineS S Reuben
Department of Anesthesiology, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, Massachusetts 01199, USA
Anesth Analg 88:831-5. 1999Intravenous regional anesthesia (IVRA) with meperidine in doses > or = 100 mg provides effective postoperative analgesia...
- Trends in medical use and abuse of opioid analgesicsD E Joranson
Pain and Policy Studies Group, Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, USA
JAMA 283:1710-4. 2000..Although international and national expert groups have determined that opioid analgesics are essential for the relief of pain, little information has been available about the health consequences of the abuse of these drugs...
- Dexmedetomidine and meperidine prevent postanaesthetic shiveringC Bicer
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, Erciyes University, Kayseri, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 23:149-53. 2006This placebo-controlled study was performed to evaluate the efficacy of dexmedetomidine compared with meperidine and placebo in preventing postanaesthetic shivering.
- A comparison between meperidine, clonidine and urapidil in the treatment of postanesthetic shiveringK R Schwarzkopf
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Therapy, University Hospital, Jena, Germany
Anesth Analg 92:257-60. 2001Postanesthetic shivering can be treated with many types of drugs. We compared the effects of meperidine, clonidine, and urapidil on postanesthetic shivering...
- Pethidine in emergency departments: promoting evidence-based prescribingKaren I Kaye
NSW Therapeutic Advisory Group Inc, PO Box 766, Darlinghurst, Sydney, NSW 2010
Med J Aust 183:129-33. 2005..To reduce pethidine prescribing in hospital emergency departments (EDs)...
- A comparison of the effects of epidural and meperidine analgesia during labor on fetal heart rateJames B Hill
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9032, USA
Obstet Gynecol 102:333-7. 2003To estimate the effects of initiation of epidural analgesia on fetal heart rate (FHR) patterns compared with intravenous meperidine analgesia.
- Epidural analgesia and backache: a randomized controlled comparison with intramuscular meperidine for analgesia during labourB A Loughnan
Departments of Anaesthesia and Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Northwick Park Hospital, Watford Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 3UJ, UK
Br J Anaesth 89:466-72. 2002..Concern has been expressed that epidural analgesia for labour may be associated with a higher incidence of backache...
- Comparison of ondansetron and meperidine for prevention of shivering in patients undergoing spinal anesthesiaEbru Kelsaka
Department of Anesthesiology, Ondokuz Mayis University, Faculty of Medicine, Samsun, Turkey
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:40-5. 2006..Regional anesthesia, like general anesthesia, influences the thermoregulatory process. The aim of our study was to compare the efficacy of ondansetron and meperidine in the prevention of shivering during and after spinal anesthesia.
- Meperidine for dystocia during the first stage of labor: A randomized controlled trialClaudio G Sosa
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pereira Rossell Hospital, School of Medicine, University of Uruguay, Montevideo, Uruguay
Am J Obstet Gynecol 191:1212-8. 2004This study was undertaken to evaluate whether the administration of meperidine decreases the length of labor in patients with a diagnosis of dystocia during the first stage of labor.
- Acupuncture during labor can reduce the use of meperidine: a controlled clinical studyBritt Ingjerd Nesheim
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ulleval University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
Clin J Pain 19:187-91. 2003..To evaluate the effectiveness of acupuncture as an analgesic during labor...
- Intravenous butorphanol, meperidine, and their combination relieve pain and distress in women in laborKenneth E Nelson
Section of Obstetric Anesthesia, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157 1009, USA
Anesthesiology 102:1008-13. 2005..The authors therefore studied, using validated intensity and affective scales and definitions of effective pain relief, the efficacy of intravenous meperidine, butorphanol, and their combination for labor analgesia.
- Propofol for endoscopic sedation: A protocol for safe and effective administration by the gastroenterologistLawrence B Cohen
Department of Medicine, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York 10021, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 58:725-32. 2003..A protocol was developed for administration of propofol, combined with small doses of midazolam and meperidine, for endoscopic sedation under the direction of a gastroenterologist...
- Magnesium sulfate increases the rate of hypothermia via surface cooling and improves comfortRichard M Zweifler
University of South Alabama Stroke Center, Mobile, Ala 36617, USA
Stroke 35:2331-4. 2004..We assessed the hypothesis that the addition of intravenous MgSO4 to an antishivering pharmacological regimen increases the cooling rate when using a surface cooling technique...
- Reduction of pain on injection of propofol using meperidine and remifentanilG Basaranoglu
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:890-2. 2005
- Propofol versus midazolam plus meperidine for sedation during ambulatory esophagogastroduodenoscopyVikram Khoshoo
West Jefferson Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 37:146-9. 2003To evaluate the efficacy and safety of propofol and meperidine plus midazolam for sedation during esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) in children.
- Pethidine and skin warming to prevent shivering during endovascular coolingK Leslie
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria
Anaesth Intensive Care 32:362-7. 2004..There were no significant complications arising from catheter placement. The combination of skin warming and pethidine was not reliable enough to be recommended for use during endovascular cooling in unanaesthetized patients...
- Cooling for Acute Ischemic Brain Damage (COOL AID): a feasibility trial of endovascular coolingM A De Georgia
Department of Neurology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Neurology 63:312-7. 2004..To report results of a randomized pilot clinical feasibility trial of endovascular cooling in patients with ischemic stroke...
- Painless injection of propofol: pretreatment with ketamine vs thiopental, meperidine, and lidocaineIman Saadawy
Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Cairo University, Egypt
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:631-44. 2007..double blind study has been conducted to compare the analgesic efficacy of iv pretreatment of ketamine, meperidine, thiopental, lidocaine to minimize the injection pain of propofol...
- The comparison of midazolam and topical lidocaine spray versus the combination of midazolam, meperidine, and topical lidocaine spray to sedate patients for upper endoscopyL Laluna
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19107, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 53:289-93. 2001..the effectiveness of intravenous midazolam alone versus the combination of intravenous midazolam and intravenous meperidine for the sedation of patients undergoing upper endoscopy...
- A comparison of tramadol, amitriptyline, and meperidine for postepidural anesthetic shivering in parturientsY C Tsai
Department of Anesthesiology, College of Medicine, National Cheng Kung University, Tainan, Taiwan
Anesth Analg 93:1288-92. 2001..b>Meperidine is often recommended for the treatment of postanesthetic shivering...
- Intrathecal meperidine for prevention of shivering during transurethral resection of prostateMaryam Davoudi
Department of Anesthesiology, School of Medicine, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences, Hamadan, Iran
Urol J 4:212-6. 2007The aim of this study was to investigate low-dose intrathecal meperidine for prevention or alleviation of shivering after induction of spinal anesthesia for transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
- The effect of intravenous administration of dexamethasone on postoperative pain, nausea, and vomiting after intrathecal injection of meperidineAli Movafegh
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, Dr Ali Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Anesth Analg 104:987-9. 2007..Different drugs have been used to enhance postoperative neuraxial opioid analgesia and reduce adverse effects...
- Meperidine and skin surface warming additively reduce the shivering threshold: a volunteer studyOliver Kimberger
Department of Anaesthesiology, University of Bern, CH 3010 Bern, Switzerland
Crit Care 11:R29. 2007..b>Meperidine and skin warming each linearly lower vasoconstriction and shivering thresholds...
- The effects of meperidine and sufentanil on the shivering threshold in postoperative patients. email@example.comP Alfonsi
Department of Anesthesia, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Boulogne Billancourt, France
Anesthesiology 89:43-8. 1998BACKGROUND. Meperidine (pethidine) reportedly treats postoperative shivering better than equianalgesic doses of other mu-receptor agonists...
- Periprostatic lidocaine infiltration and/or synthetic opioid (meperidine or tramadol) administration have no analgesic benefit during prostate biopsy. A prospective randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study comparing different methodsMurat Bozlu
Department of Urology, University of Mersin School of Medicine, Mersin, Turkey
Urol Int 72:308-11. 2004..To examine in a prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study the analgesic effect of periprostatic nerve block and/or intravenous synthetic opioid administration during a 12-core prostate biopsy...
- Midazolam with meperidine or fentanyl for colonoscopy: results of a randomized trialBu Hussain Hayee
Department of Gastroenterology, Queen Elizabeth National Health Service Trust, Woolwich, London, United Kingdom
Gastrointest Endosc 69:681-7. 2009A combination of midazolam and opioid is usually used to achieve sedation and analgesia during colonoscopy. Two commonly used opioids are meperidine and fentanyl, but few studies have compared their efficacy.
- Moderate level sedation during endoscopy: a prospective study using low-dose propofol, meperidine/fentanyl, and midazolamLawrence B Cohen
Department of Medicine Gastroenterology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 59:795-803. 2004..However, its use generally has been limited to anesthesiologists because of the risks associated with deep sedation...
- Subarachnoid meperidine (Pethidine) causes significant nausea and vomiting during labor. The Duke Women's Anesthesia Research GroupJ V Booth
Division of Women s Anesthesia, the Departments of Anesthesiology and Biostatistics, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 93:418-21. 2000..In contrast, subarachnoid meperidine has been shown to provide a long duration of anesthesia in nonobstetric patients...
- Multifaceted education initiative minimizes pethidine prescribing in the emergency departmentSimone E Taylor
Pharmacy Department, Austin Health, Victoria, Australia
Emerg Med Australas 19:25-30. 2007..Pain management experts have recommended a diminished role for pethidine because of lack of superiority for any indication and greater potential for adverse effects compared with morphine...
- Differential effects of alpha 2-adrenoceptors in the modulation of the thermoregulatory response in mice induced by meperidineJan Höcker
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospital Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Germany
Anesthesiology 109:95-100. 2008b>Meperidine proved to be more effective in treatment of shivering than equianalgesic doses of other opioids, especially pure mu-agonists...
- Factors affecting outcomes in colonoscopySeema Selehi
West Midlands, University Hospitals Coventry, Department of Surgery, Walsgrave, United Kingdom
Gastroenterol Nurs 31:56-63. 2008..One hundred thirty-three participants (60.7%) had additional meperidine, with a completion rate of 94%. Eighty three participants (37...
- Influence of doxepin used in preemptive analgesia on the nociception in the perioperative period. Experimental and clinical studyJ Wordliczek
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, 1st Chair of General Surgery of Collegium Medicum, Jagiellonian University, , Poland
Pol J Pharmacol 53:253-61. 2001....
- Comparison of meperidine plus midazolam and fentanyl plus midazolam in procedural sedation: a double-blind, randomized controlled trialSuna Soysal
Dokuz Eylul University Medical School, Emergency Department, Inciralti, 35340, Izmir, Turkey
Adv Ther 21:312-21. 2004..randomized, prospective study was conducted to compare the analgesic and sedative efficacy of fentanyl and meperidine in orthopedic closed reduction of fractures and dislocations undertaken in the emergency department...
- Postoperative effects of low-dose intrathecal morphine in coronary artery bypass surgeryDavud Yapici
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, University of Mersin, Mersin 33079, Turkey
J Card Surg 23:140-5. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effects of 7 micro/kg intrathecal morphine administration in coronary bypass surgery in the postoperative period...
- [Utility of routine use of reversion after sedation in outpatient colonoscopy]O Alarcón Fernández
Servicio de Aparato Digestivo, Red Hospiten Tenerife, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 28:10-4. 2005..of flumazenil in reducing recovery time in the endoscopy unit after conscious sedation with midazolam and meperidine. However, its effectiveness in routine clinical practice has not been proved and therefore its use is debated.
- [Sedation in upper gastrointestinal endoscopy. Analysis of tolerance, complications and cost-effectiveness]C Ciriza de Los Ríos
Servicio de Gastroenterologia, Hospital del Bierzo, Ponferrada, Leon, Spain
Gastroenterol Hepatol 28:2-9. 2005..Sedation of patients is an important complement to endoscopic procedures. The aim of this study was to analyze tolerance, complications and cost-effectiveness in patients undergoing diagnostic upper gastrointestinal endoscopy...
- Comparison of the analgesic efficacy of ketobemidone and morphine for management of postoperative pain in children: a randomized, controlled studyL Jylli
Pediatric Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Pain Treatment Service, Astrid Lindgren Children s Hospital, Karolinska Hospital, Department of Surgical Science, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 48:1256-9. 2004....
- Can facet joint infiltrative analgesia reduce postoperative pain in degenerative lumbar disc surgery?G Bademci
Department of Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Kirikkale, Kirikkale, Turkey
Neurocirugia (Astur) 19:45-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to evaluate its possible relation with the consumption of dolantine and analgesics and the facet-induced pain and postoperative pain score in degenerative disc surgery...
- Efficacy of lornoxicam for acute postoperative pain relief after septoplasty: a comparison with diclofenac, ketoprofen, and dipyroneMesut Sener
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Anesth 20:103-8. 2008..To compare the efficacy of injectable lornoxicam with diclofenac, ketoprofen, and dipyrone for acute postoperative pain...
- Comparison of satisfaction and pain relief between patients-controlled analgesia and interval analgesia after laparoscopic ovarian cystectomyUlku Bayar
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Zonguldak Karaelmas University Faculty of Medicine, Zonguldak, Turkey
J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 29:139-45. 2008..sixteen women received morphine delivered by IV-PCA pump system and 15 women were prescribed another opioid (meperidine) intramuscularly...
- Remifentanil: a novel systemic analgesic for labor painShmuel Evron
Department of Anesthesia, Wolfson Medical Center, Holon, Israel
Anesth Analg 100:233-8. 2005..in patient-controlled IV analgesia (PCIA) during labor and delivery with the effect of an IV infusion of meperidine. Eighty-eight healthy term parturients who requested IV analgesia for labor pain were enrolled in the study and ..
- Patient controlled analgesia for labour: a comparison of remifentanil with pethidineJ M Blair
St Helier Hospital, Epsom and St Helier University Hospitals NHS Trust, Wrythe Lane, Carshalton, Surrey SM5 1AA, UK
Anaesthesia 60:22-7. 2005..Neurologic and Adaptive Capacity Scores at 30 min were higher for remifentanil than for pethidine (median (interquartile range [range]) 36 (34.5-37 [32-39]) vs 34 (33-35 [30-35]), respectively; p = 0.003)...
- Post-thoracotomy pain and pulmonary function--comparison of intermittent intercostal bupivacaine vs intravenous pethidineAli Ghafouri
Department of General and Thoracic Surgery, Shariati Teaching Hospital, Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Middle East J Anaesthesiol 19:767-80. 2008..Because intravenous pethidine was used to supplement pain relief in the patients who received intercostal analgesia, total pethidine used was compared to that administered to patients in the intravenous pethidine group...
- Use of the infusion pain pump following transverse rectus abdominis muscle flap breast reconstructionAlbert Losken
Emory Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Paces Plastic Surgery, Atlanta, GA 30308, USA
Ann Plast Surg 54:479-82. 2005..All patients received patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) (morphine, n = 34; meperidine (Demerol, Sanofi-Synthelabo), n = 1; hydromorphone hydrochloride (Dilaudid, Abbott Pharmaceutical) n = 1)...
- Effects of intraoperative i.v. acetaminophen vs i.m. meperidine on post-tonsillectomy pain in childrenJ A Alhashemi
Department of Anesthesia, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Br J Anaesth 96:790-5. 2006..This randomized double-blind study compared the analgesic effects of i.v. acetaminophen and i.m. meperidine in paediatric patients undergoing tonsillectomy.
- Exogenous Chemical Probes of TLR-Mediated NeuroinflammationHANG HUBERT YIN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Evidence has accrued over the last seven years that glia are activated by opioids (e.g. morphine, methadone, meperidine, and oxycodone) and that this opioid-induced glial response suppresses opioid analgesia, resulting in the ..
- Mitochondrial dynamics underlie gene-environment interactions in Parkinson'sAdrianne Chesser; Fiscal Year: 2013..In particular, the meperidine-derivative MPTP and the herbicide paraquat (PQ) have been linked to a long term risk of developing symptoms of ..
- Breath Volatile Metabolites for the Diagnosis of Emerging Invasive Mold InfectionSophia Koo; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Harvard Medical School Vaccine Clinical Trials UnitRaphael Dolin; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, 80 to 100 subjects will be followed at each CRS annually. We also anticipate that we could expand to enroll 500 subjects for a Phase III trial when one is undertaken. ..
- BEHAVIORAL EFFECTS OF OPIOIDS IN VOLUNTEERSJames Zacny; Fiscal Year: 2003..to examine the degree to which a painful stimulus modulates the subjective and psychomotor effects of morphine, meperidine, butorphanol and nalbuphine...
- EFFICACY AND SAFETY OF NARCOTICS FOR PEDIATRIC SEDATIONPaul Moore; Fiscal Year: 1990..1. A dose-response analysis of intramuscular meperidine in a preschool pediatric dental population to determine its optimally safe and effective dose. 2...
- DRUG-INDUCED SHIVERING--EFFECTS OF A NURSING MEASUREBARBARA HOLTZCLAW; Fiscal Year: 1990..Study variables are: 1) shivering on a scale of increasing extent shown by electromyography; 2) amount of meperidine to relieve shivering; 3) mean skin and core temperatures and 4) rate pressure product, derived from heart rate ..
- Role of Environment in NeuroprotectionRichard Smeyne; Fiscal Year: 2005..The cause of >90% of all PD cases are unknown. However, the discovery of the meperidine by-product 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) has provided a useful model of Parkinsonism that ..
- CELLULAR TOXICOLOGY OF THE DOPAMINE NEURONJuan Sanchez Ramos; Fiscal Year: 1990..Research proposed here concerns MPTP (l-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6- tetrahydropyridine), a meperidine analogue which produces changes that mimic the lesion of Parkinson's disease in primates and other species...
- NEURAL DEGENERATION BY TETRAHYDROPYRIDINE ANALOGSWILLIAM NICKLAS; Fiscal Year: 1992..MPPP), a potent analgesic agent structurally similar to other widely used analgesics including meperidine. It is reported a few years ago that the ingestion of MPTP, mixed with varying amounts of MPPP and perhaps other ..
- (CHAVI) Center for HIV/AIDS Vaccine ImmunologyBarton Haynes; Fiscal Year: 2005..It will address critical gaps in scientific knowledge and will contribute in a direct and meaningful fashion to the successful development of an efficacious and globally applicable HIV-1 vaccine. ..
- COMPARING THE EFFICACIES OF CONSCIOUS SEDATION DRUGSStephen Cooper; Fiscal Year: 1980..Both single entity agents such as diazepam and combination treatments such as diazepam plus meperidine will be evaluated.
- Cytokine-Augmented DNA Vaccine-Elicited Immunity to HIVDAN BAROUCH; Fiscal Year: 2005..Raphael Dolin, Dean for Clinical Programs, Harvard Medical School, will guide Dr. Barouch's development as an independent investigator. In addition, a committee of distinguished scientists will oversee his progress toward independence. ..
- Nitrous Oxide and Wound InfectionsOzan Akca; Fiscal Year: 2006..Confirming our hypothesis would thus allow clinicians to make a minor modification in anesthetic practice that might reduce the incidence of a complication responsible for considerable perioperative morbidity and cost. ..
- Risk factors for medically indicated preterm birth in a Latin American populationCLAUDIO GERARDO SOSA; Fiscal Year: 2010..The long-term goal of this research program is to develop intervention strategies that are based on the risk factors identified in the proposed study resulting in decreased morbidity and mortality. ..
- SUPPLEMENTAL OXYGEN AND SURGICAL WOUND INFECTIONSDaniel Sessler; Fiscal Year: 2001..Since the cost of oxygen is trivial and the risks of oxygen administration are low, clinicians will easily be able to implement this treatment once we have demonstrated its benefits. ..
- OPIOID RECEPTOR MECHANISMSJohn R Traynor; Fiscal Year: 2010..An understanding of roles for RGS proteins in the actions of mu-opioids may lead to improvements in the treatment of pain as well as treatment of opioid and stimulant abuse. ..
- Novel Therapeutic Approaches for Narcotic OverdosePHILIP POTTER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Overall, these studies should allow development of novel therapeutic approaches for the treatment of cocaine overdose. ..
- Role of Lipid Rafts in Adenylyl Cyclase SensitizationJohn Traynor; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Maternal Separation: Rat Model of Opioid VulnerabilitySTEPHEN HOLTZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- SELECTIVE THERAPY OF TUMORS THAT OVEREXPRESS C MYCPHILIP POTTER; Fiscal Year: 2006..These studies will assess the effectiveness of VDEPT with rCE or hiCE and CPT-11 at eliminating tumor cells from appropriate animal models of human disease. ..
- Role of Angiogenesis Following StrokePatrick Lyden; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- HEALTH/SAFETY IMPACT OF ONTARIOS DRINKING HOURSEvelyn Vingilis; Fiscal Year: 2001..Alcohol-related casualties for both cities will be subjected to time-series analyses. In addition, Detroit data will be disaggregated to analyze the trends of alcohol-related casualties involving Ontario drivers. ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF OPIOIDSSTEPHEN HOLTZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF NARCOTIC ANTAGONISTSSTEPHEN HOLTZMAN; Fiscal Year: 2002..Acute agonist-induced sensitization to opioid antagonists appears to be an exquisite example of neuronal plasticity, reflecting the first hours of the drug-receptor interactions that lead to chronic physical dependence upon opioids. ..
- Sex Diffrerences in Opioid AntinociceptionAndrew Barrett; Fiscal Year: 2003....