Summary: A vasoconstrictor found in ergot of Central Europe. It is an alpha-1 selective adrenergic agonist and is commonly used in the treatment of MIGRAINE DISORDERS.
Publications174 found, 100 shown here
- The impact of migraine: a case studySharon Jung
Puget Sound Neurology, Tacoma, WA, USA
J Neurosci Nurs 39:213-6. 2007..His headaches became more frequent, and ergotamine and caffeine (Cafergot) suppositories were prescribed...
- Side effects of ergotamineW J Meyler
Department of Anaesthesiology, University Hospital, Groningen, Netherlands
Cephalalgia 16:5-10. 1996b>Ergotamine has been used for many years in the treatment of migraine, although there is little formal clinical evidence that it is significantly more efficacious than placebo...
- Interactions of metoclopramide and ergotamine with human 5-HT(3A) receptors and human 5-HT reuptake carriersJan Walkembach
, , Sigmund-Freud-Str. 25, D-53105 Bonn, Germany
Br J Pharmacol 146:543-52. 2005The actions of metoclopramide and ergotamine, drugs which are used as a combined migraine medication, on human (h)5-HT3A receptors and 5-HT reuptake carriers, stably expressed in HEK-293 cells, were studied with patch-clamp- and ([3H]5-HT)..
- Ergotism associated with HIV antiviral protease inhibitor therapyZachary K Baldwin
Department of Surgery, Kaiser Permanente Oakland, 280 W MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland, CA 94611, USA
J Vasc Surg 37:676-8. 2003..The HIV-positive population receiving antiviral therapy may be an under-recognized group at risk for ergotism through decreased hepatic metabolism of ergot preparations...
- Risk of ischemic complications related to the intensity of triptan and ergotamine useE A Wammes-van der Heijden
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Science, Utrecht University, The Netherlands
Neurology 67:1128-34. 2006OBJECTIVE: To investigate whether the intensity of triptan and ergotamine use, in specific overuse, is associated with the risk of ischemic complications...
- Efficacy, tolerability and safety of oral eletriptan and ergotamine plus caffeine (Cafergot) in the acute treatment of migraine: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled comparisonHans Christoph Diener
Department of Neurology, University of Essen, Essen, Germany
Eur Neurol 47:99-107. 2002..Another commonly prescribed oral treatment for migraine attacks is Cafergot (1 mg ergotamine tartrate with 100 mg caffeine per tablet)...
- Crossover comparison of efficacy and preference for rizatriptan 10 mg versus ergotamine/caffeine in migraineSuzanne Christie
Ottawa Headache Centre, Ottawa, Canada
Eur Neurol 49:20-9. 2003..randomized double- blind crossover outpatient study assessed the preference for 1 rizatriptan 10 mg tablet to 2 ergotamine 1 mg/caffeine 100 mg tablets in 439 patients treating a single migraine attack with each therapy...
- Aerosol delivery of ergotamine tartrate via a breath-synchronized plume-control inhaler in humansT A Armer
MAP Pharmaceuticals, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 23:3177-87. 2007To compare systemic delivery of ergotamine tartrate (ET) via a breath-synchronized, plume-control inhaler (BSPCI) (Tempo ET) with a sublingual ergot preparation and a commercial inhaler.
- Ergotamine and dihydroergotamine: history, pharmacology, and efficacyStephen D Silberstein
Department of Neurology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa. 19107, USA
Headache 43:144-66. 2003b>Ergotamine and dihydroergotamine share structural similarities with the adrenergic, dopaminergic, and serotonergic neurotransmitters. As a result, they have wide-ranging effects on the physiologic processes that they mediate...
- Use of a nonhomologous end joining deficient strain (Deltaku70) of the ergot fungus Claviceps purpurea for identification of a nonribosomal peptide synthetase gene involved in ergotamine biosynthesisThomas Haarmann
Institut fur Botanik, Westf Wilhelms Universität, Schlossgarten 3, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Fungal Genet Biol 45:35-44. 2008..The P1 Deltaku70 strain (producing ergotamine and ergocryptine) was used for targeted deletion of lpsA1, one of the two trimodular NRPS genes present in the ..
- Chronic ergot toxicity: A rare cause of lower extremity ischemiaG D Garcia
Department of Surgery, Womack Army Medical Center, Ft Bragg, NC, USA
J Vasc Surg 31:1245-7. 2000..We recommend a conservative approach consisting of observation, antiplatelet agents, and the discontinuance of ergots. If symptoms progress to rest pain or gangrene, surgical treatment should be considered...
- The effect of rizatriptan, ergotamine, and their combination on human peripheral arteries: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study in normal subjectsPeer Tfelt-Hansen
Department of Neurology, Bispebjerg Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark
Br J Clin Pharmacol 54:38-44. 2002To compare the peripheral vasoconstrictor effects of ergotamine, rizatriptan, and their combination, in normal subjects.
- [Treatment of cluster headache]A Pradalier
, , , 178, rue des Renouillers, 92700 Colombes, France
Rev Med Interne 22:151-62. 2001..Radiofrequency trigeminal rhizotomy is the treatment of choice with 70% of beneficial effects. Risks and complications have to be discussed in balance with the benefit of the different surgical procedures...
- The impact of different antimigraine compounds on platelet and erythrocyte aggregationS Evers
Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Germany
Cephalalgia 26:920-4. 2006Clinical and experimental data suggest that ergotamine compounds and triptans may contribute to vascular events such as myocardial infarction and stroke. The role of blood cell aggregation in this context is, however, not clarified...
- [Medication-overuse headache]Kasja Rabe
Klinik für Neurologie der Universität Essen
MMW Fortschr Med 148:37-8. 2006..The treatment of choice in such cases is withdrawal of the medication followed as early as possible by medicinal prophylaxis of the primary headache...
- Limb-threatening ischemia due to ergotamine: case report with angiographic evidenceR Salvesen
Department of Neurology, University of Tromso, Nordland Sentralsykehus, Bodo, Norway
Headache 40:320-3. 2000..She had a history of chronic daily headache and had ingested Cafergot compound corresponding to ergotamine 2 to 3 mg daily for the previous 2 or 3 months...
- Ergovaline-induced vasoconstriction in an isolated bovine lateral saphenous vein bioassayJ L Klotz
Forage Animal Production Research Unit, USDA ARS, Lexington, KY 40546, USA
J Anim Sci 85:2330-6. 2007..of this study was to examine the vasoconstrictive potentials of ergovaline and a more documented ergopeptine, ergotamine, using a bovine, lateral (cranial branch) saphenous vein bioassay...
- Ergotamine treatment during pregnancy and a higher rate of low birthweight and preterm birthFerenc Banhidy
Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Semmelweis University, School of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Br J Clin Pharmacol 64:510-6. 2007Previously the association between oral ergotamine treatment during pregnancy and gestational age at delivery, birthweight, the rate of preterm birth and low birthweight has not been studied.
- Trigeminal autonomic cephalalgias. Part 1: cluster headacheRamesh Balasubramaniam
Department of Oral Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, School of Dental Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 104:345-58. 2007..Aspects of cluster headache including its prevalence and incidence, genetics, pathophysiology, clinical presentation, classification and variants, diagnosis, medical management, and dental considerations are discussed...
- Effect of withdrawal of misused medication on sleep disturbances in migraine sufferers with chronic daily headacheR Hering-Hanit
Headache Unit, Department of Neurology, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Center, Kfar Saba, Israel
Headache 40:809-12. 2000..BACKGROUND: Misuse of ergotamine and analgesics by migraineurs is one of the causes of chronic daily headache...
- Impact of antimigraine compounds on cognitive processing: a placebo-controlled crossover studyStefan Evers
Department of Neurology, , Germany
Headache 43:1102-8. 2003..double-blind, crossover study to detect the short-term impact of sumatriptan, zolmitriptan, and ergotamine tartrate on cognitive processing as measured by event-related potentials and a d2 test...
- [Acute and chronic headaches]Anne Ducros
, , 75010 Paris
Rev Prat 56:2161-72. 2006
- Reduction in the intensity of abortive migraine drug use during coumarin therapyH Rahimtoola
Department of Pharmacy Practice Research, SIR Institute, Leiden, The Netherlands
Headache 41:768-73. 2001..All patients using an abortive migraine drug (ergotamine or sumatriptan) and subsequently treated with either coumarin (index group) or low-dose acetylsalicylic acid (..
- An introduction to migraine: from ancient treatment to functional pharmacology and antimigraine therapyC M Villalon
Depto de Farmacobiología, CINVESTAV IPN, Czda de los Tenorios 235, Col Granjas Coapa, Deleg Tlalpan, C P 14330, Mexico D F, Mexico
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:199-210. 2002..v. infusion of 5-HT can abort migraine. In fact, 5-HT as well as ergotamine, dihydroergotamine and other antimigraine agents invariably produce vasoconstriction in the external carotid ..
- Chronic ergot toxicity presenting with bilateral external iliac artery dissection and lower extremity rest painAfshin M Molkara
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA 92354, USA
Ann Vasc Surg 20:803-8. 2006..Endovascular or surgical interventions may be considered in patients with ergot toxicity for specific indications or those whose symptoms progress despite conservative management...
- [Ergotism in a patient treated with ritonavir and ergotamine]César Gallo
Med Clin (Barc) 119:558-9. 2002
- Ergotamine vs. metoclopramide vs. their combination in acute migraine attacksH Hakkarainen
Department of Neurology, University of Tampere, Finland
Headache 22:10-2. 1982The effect of ergotamine tartrate was compared with that of the antiemetic agent metoclopramide and with those of two combinations in a double-blind trial of 24 adult female patients with migraine...
- [Treatment of migraine in patients with hypertension and ischemic heart disease]Andrea Ficzere
Debreceni Egyetem, , , Debrecen
Ideggyogy Sz 55:25-9. 2002..The article reviews the literature with special focus on hypertension and coronary heart disease. In the second part, the authors summarize their experiences on headache patients...
- Wilfred Harris' early description of cluster headacheC J Boes
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Cephalalgia 22:320-6. 2002..He was probably one of the first to describe the cluster phenomenon itself and the effectiveness of ergotamine in treating acute attacks of cluster headache...
- Cardiovascular, respiratory, and body temperature responses of sheep to the ergopeptides ergotamine and ergovalineLance M McLeay
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Waikato, Hamilton, New Zealand
Am J Vet Res 63:387-93. 2002OBJECTIVE: To compare the effects of the ergot alkaloid ergovaline with effects of ergotamine on blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, and body temperature in conscious sheep. ANIMALS: 3 sheep with indwelling arterial catheters...
- Fatal ergotism induced by an HIV protease inhibitorMarc A Tribble
Headache 42:694-5. 2002
- New treatments in cluster headacheTodd D Rozen
Department of Neurology T33, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep 2:114-21. 2002..Cluster treatment involves abortive, transitional, and preventive therapy strategies, all of which are discussed in this article...
- Successful treatment of threatening limb loss ischemia of the upper limb caused by ergotamine. A case report and review of the literatureH A Safar
Division of Vascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation, General Campus McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 43:245-9. 2002We report a case of ischemia limited to the upper limb caused by chronic use of ergotamine. The effect of this drug was not related to hypersensitivity or to the potentiating effects of other medications...
- Possible ergotamine-caffeine-associated deliriumScott H Gulbranson
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85006, USA
Pharmacotherapy 22:126-9. 2002..Daily increased consumption of a product containing ergotamine 1 mg and caffeine 100 mg coincided with both onset and increasing severity of symptoms...
- Relieving migraine pain: sorting through the optionsLisa K Mannix
Cleve Clin J Med 70:8-9, 13-4, 16 passim. 2003..Although triptans are a major advance in the treatment of migraine, the optimal approach for acute treatment involves a combination of lifestyle modifications, nonpharmacologic symptom relief, and drug therapy...
- Migraine headaches: a historical prospective, a glimpse into the future, and migraine epidemiologyJeff Unger
Chino Medical Group Diabetes and Headache Intervention Center, Quadrant Medical Education, CA, USA
Dis Mon 52:367-84. 2006
- Ergotamine use in severe diabetic autonomic neuropathyT Richardson
Diabet Med 24:103; author reply 103. 2007
- Incidence and determinants of antidepressant drug use in migraine patientsH Rahimtoola
Department of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacotherapy, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 18:331-9. 2003..Our migraine population (2,517 people) included patients having commenced specific migraine drugs, ergotamine or sumatriptan, for the first time from January 1 1992 to December 31 1998...
- Ergotamine use in severe diabetic autonomic neuropathyV Toh
Oxford Centre of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Churchill Hospital, Oxford, UK
Diabet Med 23:574-6. 2006..When it does occur, it can prove debilitating and difficult to treat. We report here the therapeutic challenges encountered in managing a patient with severe postural hypotension secondary to diabetes-related autonomic neuropathy...
- Comparison between venoconstrictor effects of sumatriptan and ergotamine in migraine patientsA Panconesi
Institute of Internal Medicine IV, University of Florence, Italy
Headache 34:194-7. 1994The vasoconstrictor activity of sumatriptan and ergotamine were compared by injecting these drugs in the hand vein of migraine subjects...
- A possible dose-dependent teratogenic effect of ergotamineN Acs
Reprod Toxicol 22:551-2. 2006
- The treatment of acute migraineJ Olesen
Department of Neurology N39, University of Copenhagen, Glostrup Hospital, Glostrup, Denmark
Rev Neurol (Paris) 161:679-80. 2005..The most frequently used drugs are non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and triptans. Ergotamine is less and less used...
- Acute migraine treatment: patterns of use and satisfaction in a clinical populationShahram N Malik
Thomas Jefferson University, Jefferson Headache Center, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Headache 46:773-80. 2006..CONCLUSION: Migraine patients have treatment preferences. They generally want a drug that provides complete headache relief, and they are often satisfied with the current treatment options...
- Medications associated with probable medication overuse headache reported in a tertiary care headache center over a 15-year periodChelsea A Meskunas
Princeton University, Molecular Biology, NJ, USA
Headache 46:766-72. 2006..3% in 2005. We found a significant decrease in the relative frequency of probable ergotamine overuse headache (from 18.6% to 0%, P < ...
- Effects of ergotamine and ergovaline on the electromyographic activity of smooth muscle of the reticulum and rumen of sheepLance M McLeay
Department of Biological Sciences, School of Science and Engineering, The University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand
Am J Vet Res 67:707-14. 2006OBJECTIVE: To investigate the effects of IV administration of ergotamine and ergovaline and intraruminal administration of ergotamine on electromyographic (EMG) activity of reticuloruminal smooth muscle in conscious sheep...
- 5-Hydroxtryptamine1D receptor agonism predicts antimigraine efficacyA V Deliganis
Department of Neurology, Stanford University Medical Center, CA 94305-5235
Headache 31:228-31. 1991..In bovine caudate, the affinities of abortive anti-migraine agents (i.e. 5-hydroxytryptamine, ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, sumatriptan) for 5-HT1D receptors range from 4...
- Subcutaneous sumatriptan in the treatment of headache during withdrawal from drug-induced headacheH C Diener
Department of Neurology, University of Tuebingen FRG
Headache 31:205-9. 1991..This result suggests sumatriptan does not act primarily via constriction of the large cerebral arteries...
- Misunderstood and misdiagnosed: the agony of migraine headacheValerie A Miller
Northwest Georgia Diagnostic Clinic, Gainesville, GA, USA
Adv Nurse Pract 13:55-6, 58-60, 62. 2005
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of rizatriptan and sumatriptan versus Cafergot in the acute treatment of migraineLihua Zhang
Department of Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California 90089, USA
CNS Drugs 19:635-42. 2005BACKGROUND: Both ergotamine and selective serotonin 5-HT(1B/1D) receptor agonists ('triptans') are currently used in the treatment of moderate to severe migraine...
- Lack of effect of the antimigraine drugs, sumatriptan, ergotamine and dihydroergotamine on arteriovenous anastomotic shunting in the dura mater of the pigM O Den Boer
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Erasmus University Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 107:577-83. 19921. In anaesthetized animals, the antimigraine drugs, sumatriptan, ergotamine and dihydroergotamine, reduce carotid arteriovenous anastomotic shunting...
- [Pergolide treatment and cardiac valve pathology: the continuing saga of ergotamine-induced fibrosis]J L Montastruc
Rev Neurol (Paris) 160:19-21. 2004
- [Multifocal brain haemorrhage associated with migraine and medication abuse]E Páez de la Torre
Division de Neurologia, Hospital Naval Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Rev Neurol 37:840-2. 2003..Although ischemic stroke is a well known complication of migraine, cerebral hemorrhage has been uncommonly reported...
- Multiple intracerebral hemorrhages and vasospasm following antimigrainous drug abuseN Nighoghossian
Centre de Recherches sur I'Ataxie, , Lyon, France
Headache 38:478-80. 1998..Multiple intracerebral hemorrhages in migraine may exceptionally be related to vasospasm leading to arterial wall injury. Intracranial arterial vasospasm could be precipitated by excessive vasoactive therapy...
- Chemical colitisSarah Sheibani
Division of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5202, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 42:115-21. 2008..colitis that are covered in this review include alcohol, radiocontrast agents, glutaraldehyde, formalin, ergotamine, hydrofluoric acid, sulfuric acid, acetic acid, ammonia, soap, sodium hydroxide, hydrogen peroxide, herbal ..
- [Migraine during pregnancy and lactation: treatment of the acute attack and non-pharmacological prophylactic strategies]G Allais
Centro Cefalee della Donna, III Clinica Ostetrico Ginecologica, Dipartimento di Discipline Ginecologiche e Ostetriche, Universita degli Studi di Torino, CSTNF Centro Studi Terapie Naturali e Fisiche, Torino
Minerva Med 94:27-38. 2003..For this latter therapy, the personal preliminary positive experience using a predetermined formula of acupoints for the combined treatment of migraine and hyperemesis gravidarum is reported...
- [Strategies for antimigraine agents]Taketoshi Ishii
Nippon Yakurigaku Zasshi 131:205-9. 2008
- [Acute ischemia secondary to ergotism]J L Pérez Burkhardt
An Med Interna 21:101-2. 2004
- [Digitalis -- poisoning, myopathy, ergotism.... When antibiotic and associated therapy become dangerous mixture]Katharina Arnheim
MMW Fortschr Med 145:12-3. 2003
- Painful ANA-positive scleroderma-like disease with acral ulcerations: a case of chronic gangrenous ergotismUwe Wollina
Department of Dermatology and Allergology, Academic Teaching Hosputal of the Technical University of Dresden, Dresden, Germany
Int J Low Extrem Wounds 6:148-52. 2007..In this case report, the authors present a 62-year-old woman with history of long-term use of ergotamine alkaloids for the treatment of menstrual pain, who developed a severe painful disease initially misdiagnosed as ..
- Acute migraine therapy: recent evidence from randomized comparative trialsAnna Mett
Wolters Kluwer Health Adis, Auckland, New Zealand
Curr Opin Neurol 21:331-7. 2008..5) It is unclear whether triptans offer clinically relevant benefits over aspirin or NSAIDs in migraine patients. Thus NSAIDs, particularly effervescent aspirin, should be considered the first-line treatment of migraine attacks...
- Clinically significant drug interactions with agents specific for migraine attacksM J Eadie
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, Royal Brisbane Hospital, Australia
CNS Drugs 15:105-18. 2001The drugs which provide specific relief from migraine attacks, the ergopeptides (ergotamine and dihydroergotamine) and the various 'triptans' (notably sumatriptan), are often prescribed for persons already taking various migraine ..
- Comparison of intravenous valproate versus intramuscular dihydroergotamine and metoclopramide for acute treatment of migraine headacheK R Edwards
Western New England Pain and Headache Center, Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, Bennington, VT 05201, USA
Headache 41:976-80. 2001..received either 500 mg intravenous valproate or 10 mg metoclopramide intramuscularly followed by 1 mg dihydro- ergotamine. Patients rated severity of headache and the presence or absence of nausea, photophobia, or phonophobia at ..
- Electrospray[+] tandem quadrupole mass spectrometry in the elucidation of ergot alkaloids chromatographed by HPLC: screening of grass or forage samples for novel toxic compoundsAndreas F Lehner
University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture, Livestock Disease Diagnostic Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40512 4125, USA
J Mass Spectrom 40:1484-502. 2005..chromatographic examination of ergot alkaloid standards of lysergic acid, lysergol, ergonovine, ergovaline, ergotamine, ergocornine, ergocryptine and ergocrystine by HPLC...
- Molecular cloning of a mammalian serotonin receptor that activates adenylate cyclaseJ L Plassat
Laboratoire de Genetique Moleculaire des Eucaryotes du CNRS, U 184 de l INSERM, département de neurobiologie, Faculte de Medecine, Strasbourg, France
Mol Pharmacol 44:229-36. 1993..inhibiting the stimulatory effect of 5-HT were methysergide, methiothepin, mesulergine, metergoline, clozapine, ergotamine, and (+)-butaclamol...
- Interactions between grapefruit juice and cardiovascular drugsDavid G Bailey
Department of Medicine and Lawson Health Research Institute, London Health Sciences Centre, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 4:281-97. 2004..Interaction between ergotamine for migraine and grapefruit juice may cause gangrene or stroke...
- Interaction of tryptamine and ergoline compounds with threonine 196 in the ligand binding site of the 5-hydroxytryptamine6 receptorF G Boess
Pharma Division, Preclinical Research, F Hoffman La Roche Ltd, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Mol Pharmacol 52:515-23. 1997..The affinity of other N1-unsubstituted ergolines (e.g., ergotamine, lisuride) was reduced 10-30 fold, whereas the affinity of N1-methylated ergolines (e.g...
- Heart failure induced by non-cardiac drugsLars Slørdal
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Children s and Women s Health, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Drug Saf 29:567-86. 2006..etanercept; antidiabetic drugs such as rosiglitazone, pioglitazone and troglitazone; antimigraine drugs such as ergotamine and methysergide; appetite suppressants such as fenfulramine, dexfenfluramine and phentermine; tricyclic ..
- Bromocriptine, a dopamine D(2) receptor agonist with the structure of the amino acid ergot alkaloids, induces neurite outgrowth in PC12 cellsToru Oda
Department of Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Kyoto 606 8501, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 598:27-31. 2008..Amino acid ergot alkaloids, such as ergocornine and ergotamine, induced neurite outgrowth, but amine ergot alkaloids, including ergometrine and methylergometrine, did not...
- Semiquantitative determination of ergot alkaloids in seed, straw, and digesta samples using a competitive enzyme-linked immunosorbent assayJ M Schnitzius
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis 97331, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 13:230-7. 2001..99, with a CV of 2.1%. Ergocryptine, ergocristine, ergocornine, and ergotamine tartrate did not bind strongly to the 15F3...
- Impact of newer pharmacological treatments on quality of life in patients with Parkinson's diseaseDavid A Gallagher
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, EnglandInstitute of Neurology, University College London, London, England
CNS Drugs 22:563-86. 2008..Parkinson's disease, including the oral (pramipexole, ropinirole and piribedil) and transdermal (rotigotine) non-ergotamine-derived dopamine agonists, the novel MAO-B inhibitor rasagiline and the COMT inhibitors tolcapone and entacapone,..
- Ergotism and photosensitization in swine produced by the combined ingestion of Claviceps purpurea sclerotia and Ammi majus seedsT A Lopez
Departamento de Produccion Animal, Estacion Experimental Agropecuaria Balcarce, INTA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
J Vet Diagn Invest 9:68-71. 1997..purpurea sclerotia. Qualitative analysis demonstrated the presence of ergotamine, ergocristine, and ergonovine...
- Acute and preventive treatment of cluster headache and other trigeminal autonomic cephalgiasGennaro Bussone
Clinical Neurosciences Department, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Handb Clin Neurol 97:431-42. 2010..commonly used bridge therapies are 7-21 days of prednisone at high and then tapering doses and ergots such as ergotamine tartrate and dihydroergotamine...
- Two members of a distinct subfamily of 5-hydroxytryptamine receptors differentially expressed in rat brainM G Erlander
Department of Molecular Biology, Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90:3452-6. 1993..of 125I-labeled (+)-lysergic acid diethylamide to transiently expressed MR22 in COS-M6 cells was inhibited by ergotamine > methiothepin > 5-carboxamidotryptamine > 5-HT...
- Analysis of endophyte toxins: fescue and other grasses toxic to livestockJ K Porter
Toxicology and Mycotoxin Research Unit, Richard B Russell Agricultural Research Center, ARS, USDA, Athens, GA 30613, USA
J Anim Sci 73:871-80. 1995..Also, both peramine and the ergopeptine alkaloids (ergovaline, ergotamine) have been isolated from A. lolii-infected perennial ryegrass...
- Chapter 41: the history of neurology in ScandinaviaJohan A Aarli
Department of Neurology, Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway
Handb Clin Neurol 95:657-66. 2010..documentation exists from the Viking era, describing treatment of seizures and possibly also the effect of ergotamine. The methods were in concordance with medical practice in the rest of Europe...
- Cytotoxicity and accumulation of ergot alkaloids in human primary cellsDennis Mulac
NRW Graduate School of Chemistry Universität Münster, Wilhelm Klemm Strasse 10, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Toxicology 282:112-21. 2011..Of the more than 40 known ergot alkaloids six are found predominantly. These are ergotamine, ergocornine, ergocryptine, ergocristine, ergosine and ergometrine, along with their corresponding isomeric ..
- Possible role of valvular serotonin 5-HT(2B) receptors in the cardiopathy associated with fenfluramineL W Fitzgerald
CNS Diseases Research, The DuPont Pharmaceuticals Research Laboratories, Experimental Station, Wilmington, Delaware, USA
Mol Pharmacol 57:75-81. 2000..in carcinoid disease or after long-term exposure to 5-hydroxytryptamine (5-HT)(2)-preferring ergot drugs (ergotamine, methysergide)...
- Detailed examination of fenfluramine-phentermine users with valve abnormalities identified in Fargo, North DakotaS E Kimmel
Department of Medicine, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and Center for Clinical Epidemiology, and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Am J Cardiol 84:304-8. 1999..Two subjects (11%) had other possible etiologies of valve disease: a history of rheumatic fever and prescribed ergotamine. Three subjects (17%) had a history of migraine headaches and 4 (22%) had murmurs noted before using ..
- Development and validation of an LC-MS method for quantitation of ergot alkaloids in lateral saphenous vein tissueDarrin Smith
Department of Chemistry, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky 40475, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:7213-20. 2009..for simultaneous quantitation of seven ergot alkaloids (lysergic acid, ergonovine, ergovaline, ergocornine, ergotamine, ergocryptine, and ergocristine) in vascular tissue was developed and validated...
- Agonist-trafficking and hallucinogensJavier Gonzalez-Maeso
Departments of Psychiatry, Neurology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Curr Med Chem 16:1017-27. 2009..this neuropsychological state in humans is not induced by closely related chemicals, such as lisuride or ergotamine, despite their similar in vitro activity at the 5-HT2AR...
- Determination of ergot alkaloids: purity and stability assessment of standards and optimization of extraction conditions for cereal samplesRudolf Krska
University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mycotoxin Research, Department for Agrobiotechnology IFA Tulln, Konrad Lorenz Strasse 20, 3430 Tulln, Austria
J AOAC Int 91:1363-71. 2008Results obtained from a purity study on standards of the 6 major ergot alkaloids ergometrine, ergotamine, ergosine, ergocristine, ergocryptine, and ergocornine and their corresponding epimers are discussed...
- Persistence with migraine prophylactic treatment and acute migraine medication utilization in the managed care settingAvin Z Yaldo
Ortho McNeil Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, Titusville, New Jersey, USA
Clin Ther 30:2452-60. 2008..The aim of this study was to describe persistence with migraine prophylactic treatment and acute migraine medication utilization in patients prescribed migraine prophylaxis...
- Successful withdrawal from analgesic abuse in a group of youngsters with chronic daily headacheR Hering-Hanit
Department of Neurology, Meir General Hospital, Sapir Medical Centre, Kfar Saba, Israel
J Child Neurol 16:448-9. 2001Abuse of ergotamine and analgesics is common in adults. It coexists with headache and can also induce headaches...
- Baclofen in cluster headacheR Hering-Hanit
Department of Neurology, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba, and the Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Israel
Headache 40:48-51. 2000..They are difficult to treat, and reported prophylactic therapies include ergotamine, steroids, methysergide, lithium carbonate, verapamil, valproate, capsaicin, leuprolide, clonidine, ..
- Pharmacological properties of a wide array of ergolines at functional alpha(1)-adrenoceptor subtypesTilo Görnemann
Institut fur Pharmazie, Freie Universitat Berlin, Konigin Luise Str 2 4, 14195 Berlin, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 376:321-30. 2008..The anti-migraine drugs ergotamine and dihydroergotamine, the anti-parkinsonian drug lisuride and the anti-hyperprolactinemic drug terguride ..
- Cost considerations in headache treatment. Part 2: Acute migraine treatmentR L Von Seggern
Adelman Headache Center, Greensboro, NC 27403, USA
Headache 36:493-502. 1996..Triple therapy" combining metoclopramide, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory agent, and an ergotamine preparation may improve tolerance and effectiveness of the ergot...
- Human 5-HT(5) receptors: the 5-HT(5A) receptor is functional but the 5-HT(5B) receptor was lost during mammalian evolutionR Grailhe
Center for Neurobiology and Behavior, Columbia University, 722 West 168 Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Eur J Pharmacol 418:157-67. 2001..These binding sites displayed the following displacement profile: Ergotamine>Methiothepin>5-CT, Ritanserin>5-HT...
- Triptans for acute cluster headacheSimon Law
Pain Research and Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics, University of Oxford, West Wing Level 6, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK, OX3 9DU
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD008042. 2010..Alternative therapies such as intranasal lignocaine and ergotamine are not as commonly used and are less well studied...
- Triptans, serotonin agonists, and serotonin syndrome (serotonin toxicity): a reviewP Ken Gillman
Bucasia, Queensland, Australia
Headache 50:264-72. 2010..This review considers SS involving serotonin agonists: ergotamine, lysergic acid diethylamide, bromocriptine, and buspirone, as well as triptans, and reviews the experimental ..
- Centrally active nonhormonal hot flash therapiesCharles L Loprinzi
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Med 118:118-23. 2005..where it was known as Bellergal-S), a combination preparation sedative that consists of low-dose phenobarbital, ergotamine tartrate, and levorotatory alkaloids of belladonna, is an old agent that was popular approximately 20 years ago; ..
- Human gene S31 encodes the pharmacologically defined serotonin 5-hydroxytryptamine1E receptorJ M Zgombick
Synaptic Pharmaceutical Corporation, Paramus, New Jersey 07652
Mol Pharmacol 42:180-5. 1992..profile of the pharmacologically defined 5-HT1E binding site, 5-HT greater than methysergide greater than ergotamine greater than 8-hydroxy-2-(di-n-propylamino)tetralin greater than 5-carboxyamidotryptamine greater than ..
- HMO direct costs and health care resources use after implementation of a monthly limit on sumatriptanS D Goldfarb
Managed Care Pharmacy, Advance Paradigm Clinical Services, Hunt Valley, MD, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 56:2206-10. 1999..medical claim with a diagnosis code for migraine or at least two pharmacy claims for sumatriptan, methysergide, ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, or an ergotamine combination product in 1996 or 1997 were eligible for inclusion...
- French guidelines for the diagnosis and management of migraine in adults and childrenGilles Geraud
Department of Neurology, Rangueil Hospital, Toulouse, France
Clin Ther 26:1305-18. 2004..The French Recommendations for Clinical Practice: Diagnosis and Therapy of Migraine are guidelines concerning the overall management of patients with migraine, including diagnostic and therapeutic strategies and assessment of disability...
- Tension-type headachesS D Silberstein
Comprehensive Headache Center, Philadelphia, PA
Headache 34:S2-7. 1994..Patients with frequent headaches are prone to overuse analgesics, ergotamine, or both. Most patients with chronic daily headache overuse symptomatic medication...
- Molecular cloning, pharmacological properties and tissue distribution of the porcine 5-HT(1B) receptorP Bhalla
Department of Pharmacology, Erasmus University Medical Centre Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Br J Pharmacol 133:891-901. 2001..The affinities of several agonists (L694247>ergotamine > or =5-carboxamidotryptamine=dihydroergotamine=5-HT>CP122638=zolmitriptan>sumatriptan) and putative antagonists ..
- Effect of some acute and prophylactic antimigraine drugs on the vasodepressor sensory CGRPergic outflow in pithed ratsJair Lozano-Cuenca
Departamento de Farmacobiologia, Cinvestav Coapa, Czda de los Tenorios 235, Col Granjas Coapa, Deleg Tlalpan, 14330 Mexico D F, Mexico
Life Sci 84:125-31. 2009....
- Current and prospective pharmacological targets in relation to antimigraine actionSuneet Mehrotra
Division of Vascular Pharmacology, Department of Internal Medicine, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, P O Box 2040, 3000 CA, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 378:371-94. 2008..In the past, alpha-adrenoceptor agonists (ergotamine, dihydroergotamine, isometheptene) were used...
- Advances in pharmacological treatment of migraineH C Diener
Department of Neurology, University Essen, Hufelandstr 55, 45122 Essen, Germany
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 10:1831-45. 2001..Few controlled trials were performed for the use of ergotamine or dihydroergotamine...
- Transformed migraine and medication overuse in a tertiary headache centre--clinical characteristics and treatment outcomesM E Bigal
Department of Neurology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York, USA
Cephalalgia 24:483-90. 2004..Opiate use > 1 tablet a day for > 2 days a week; 4. Ergotamine tartrate use: 1 mg PO or 0.5 mg PR for > 2 days a week...
- Drug treatment of orthostatic hypotension because of autonomic failure or neurocardiogenic syncopeMaxime Lamarre-Cliche
Hôpital Européen Georges Pompidou Centre d Investigations Cliniques, Paris, France
Am J Cardiovasc Drugs 2:23-35. 2002..Other drugs such as octreotide, indomethacin or ergotamine have also been shown to elevate standing blood pressure and/or orthostatic tolerance...
- Simultaneous determination of six major ergot alkaloids and their epimers in cereals and foodstuffs by LC-MS-MSRudolf Krska
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mycotoxin Research, Department for Agrobiotechnology IFA Tulln, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, Konrad Lorenz Strasse 20, 3430, Tulln, Austria
Anal Bioanal Chem 391:563-76. 2008This paper describes a new and rapid method for accurate quantification of the six ergot alkaloids, ergometrine, ergotamine, ergosine, ergocristine, ergocryptine, and ergocornine, by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS-..
- Structure and function of the 5HT2A/mGluR2 complex in schizophreniaJavier Gonzalez Maeso; Fiscal Year: 2010..The characterization of the structure of the neuroreceptor will extend our understanding of the molecular basis of psychosis, and may provide a route to the development of new, more effective drugs for the treatment of schizophrenia. ..
- Accessing Natural Products from Silent Biosynthetic PathwaysROBERT HENRY CICHEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..antibiotics (penicillins and cyclosporins), cholesterol-lowering agents (statins), and antimigraine drugs (ergotamine)...
- Prediction of warfarin dosing using clinical and genetic factorsStephen E Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A randomized trial of interventions to improve warfarin adherenceKevin G Volpp; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- A randomized trial of interventions to improve warfarin adherenceStephen Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Patient Oriented Research in AnticoagulationStephen Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2006..The ultimate goal is to improve the use of a highly efficacious, but underused, drug, and reduce morbidity and mortality in the large proportion of the population at risk for TE. ..
- Research:Genetics of complex traits(RMI)Stephen Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- PREDICTORS OF ANTICOAGULATION CONTROL ON WARFARINStephen Kimmel; Fiscal Year: 2005..The ultimate goal is to improve the use of a highly efficacious, but underused, drug and reduce morbidity and mortality in the large proportion of the population at risk for TE. ..