Genomes and Genes
Summary: Analogs or derivatives of scopolamine.
Publications155 found, 100 shown here
- A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDonald P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1690, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1543-54. 2008..Previous studies showing that tiotropium improves multiple end points in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) led us to examine the long-term effects of tiotropium therapy...
- Effect of tiotropium on outcomes in patients with moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (UPLIFT): a prespecified subgroup analysis of a randomised controlled trialMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Lancet 374:1171-8. 2009..However, there are few data for treatment in the early stages of the disease. We examined the effect of tiotropium on outcomes in a large subgroup of patients with moderate COPD...
- Bronchodilator responsiveness in patients with COPDD P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Eur Respir J 31:742-50. 2008..The majority of patients with moderate-to-very-severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease demonstrate meaningful increases in lung function following administration of inhaled anticholinergic plus sympathomimetic bronchodilators...
- Effect of tiotropium on health-related quality of life as a primary efficacy endpoint in COPDA B Tonnel
Centre Hospitalier Régional Universitaire CHRU de Lille, Service de Pneumologie et Immuno Allergologie, Lille Cedex, France
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:301-10. 2008..01 +/- 0.02 L; between-group difference: 0.10 +/- 0.03 L, p = 0.0001) and reduced exacerbations vs placebo. Maintenance treatment with tiotropium provided significant and clinically relevant improvements in HRQoL, as measured by the SGRQ...
- Efficacy and safety of tiotropium Respimat SMI in COPD in two 1-year randomized studiesEric Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:197-208. 2010..Tiotropium Respimat SMI 5 microg demonstrated sustained improvements in patients with COPD relative to placebo and similar to the 10 microg dose but with a lower frequency of anticholinergic adverse events...
- A one-year trial of tiotropium Respimat plus usual therapy in COPD patientsE D Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Mowbray, Cape Town, South Africa
Respir Med 104:1460-72. 2010..The protocol is registered on the European Clinical Trials Database as trial number 2006-001009-27 and in the ClinicalTrials.gov database as NCT00387088...
- Healthcare costs associated with initial maintenance therapy with fluticasone propionate 250 μg/salmeterol 50 μg combination versus anticholinergic bronchodilators in elderly US Medicare-eligible beneficiaries with COPDAnand A Dalal
GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
J Med Econ 12:339-47. 2009....
- Impact of frequency of COPD exacerbations on pulmonary function, health status and clinical outcomesA Anzueto
Audie L Murphy Division, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:245-51. 2009..COPD exacerbations are responsible for the morbidity and mortality of this disease. The relationship between exacerbations and patient-related clinical outcomes is not clearly understood...
- A 6-month, placebo-controlled study comparing lung function and health status changes in COPD patients treated with tiotropium or salmeterolJames F Donohue
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7020, USA
Chest 122:47-55. 2002..A trial was designed to examine the efficacy and safety of both compounds with multiple outcome measures, including lung function, dyspnea, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in patients with COPD...
- Tiotropium in combination with placebo, salmeterol, or fluticasone-salmeterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trialShawn D Aaron
The Ottawa Health Research Institute and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:545-55. 2007..Treatment of moderate or severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with combinations of inhaled corticosteroids, long-acting beta-agonists, and long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilators is common but unstudied...
- Incorporating tiotropium into a respiratory therapist-directed bronchodilator protocol for managing in-patients with COPD exacerbations decreases bronchodilator costsGail S Drescher
Pulmonary Services Department, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Respir Care 53:1678-84. 2008..Tiotropium is used in maintenance treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but there are no guidelines on when to start tiotropium following an exacerbation...
- A dose-ranging study of tiotropium delivered via Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler or HandiHaler in COPD patientsDenis Caillaud
CHU Clermont Ferrand, Pulmonary Department, Hopital G Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:559-65. 2007..Tiotropium 5 and 10 microg Respimat improve lung function in COPD patients and appear to be comparable with tiotropium 18 microg HandiHaler...
- Improvements in symptom-limited exercise performance over 8 h with once-daily tiotropium in patients with COPDFrancois Maltais
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de l Universite Laval, 725 Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec, QC, G1V 4G5, Canada
Chest 128:1168-78. 2005..The present study was designed to gain further insight into the duration of improvements...
- The effect of tiotropium on exacerbations and airflow in patients with COPDD Dusser
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, 27 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679 Paris, Cedex 14, France
Eur Respir J 27:547-55. 2006..In conclusion, tiotropium reduced exacerbations and associated health resource use, and improved airflow over 1 yr in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients...
- Does tiotropium lower exacerbation and hospitalization frequency in COPD patients: results of a meta-analysisAnn Van den Bruel
Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre KCE, Brussels, Belgium
BMC Pulm Med 10:50. 2010..The purpose of this study is to estimate the effect of tiotropium, a long-acting anticholinergic inhalant, on exacerbation and hospitalisation frequency...
- Comparison of risk of neurovascular and cardiovascular side effects between tiotropium and other anticholinergic agentsReem Alzayer
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
Qual Prim Care 18:189-99. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the risk of cardiovascular diseases among users of both inhaled (ipratropium bromide or tiotropium bromide) and oral (oxybutynin and propantheline, solifenacin, tolterodine) anticholinergics...
- Efficacy and safety of tiotropium in COPD patients in primary care--the SPiRiva Usual CarE (SPRUCE) studyDaryl Freeman
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Respir Res 8:45. 2007..In primary care, which is the most common setting for COPD management, many patients may have milder disease, and also may take a broad range of concomitant medication...
- Tiotropium and risk for fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review with meta-analysisGustavo J Rodrigo
Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas, Av 8 de octubre 3020, Montevideo 11600, Uruguay
Respir Med 103:1421-9. 2009..The purpose of this review was to evaluate the cardiovascular risk of regular use of inhaled tiotropium bromide in patients with COPD of any severity...
- Tiotropium induced bronchodilation and protection from dynamic hyperinflation is independent of extent of emphysema in COPDArthur F Gelb
Pulmonary Division, Department of Medicine, Lakewood Regional Medical Center, Lakewood, CA, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 22:237-42. 2009..The magnitude of tiotropium (1) induced bronchodilation and (2) protection against dynamic hyperinflation in COPD phenotypes has not been studied...
- Tiotropium HandiHaler in the treatment of COPD: a safety reviewSteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:397-409. 2009..We sought to update an evaluation of the safety of tiotropium in the HandiHaler formulation as significant clinical trial data have become available over time...
- Enhanced persistence with tiotropium compared with other respiratory drugs in COPDNancy S Breekveldt Postma
PHARMO Institute, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Respir Med 101:1398-405. 2007..Tiotropium is a once-daily inhaled anticholinergic maintenance treatment with demonstrated effectiveness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- A randomized controlled trial to assess the efficacy of tiotropium in Canadian patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCharles K N Chan
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can Respir J 14:465-72. 2007..Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who smoke have a greater annual rate of decline in forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV(1)) than those patients who have stopped smoking...
- Tiotropium in COPD patients not previously receiving maintenance respiratory medicationsSandra G Adams
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Audie L Murphy Division, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Respir Med 100:1495-503. 2006..e., those who are not receiving maintenance bronchodilator therapy) or patients considered by their health care providers as having milder disease?..
- Effect of formoterol, tiotropium, and their combination in patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a pilot studyFabiano Di Marco
Respiratory Medicine Unit, University of Milan, Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Respir Med 100:1925-32. 2006....
- Tiotropium for the treatment of stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review with meta-analysisGustavo J Rodrigo
Clinica Respirar, Benito Nardone 2310, Montevideo 11300, Uruguay
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:495-502. 2007....
- Comparison of tiotropium once daily, formoterol twice daily and both combined once daily in patients with COPDJ A Van Noord
Dept of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Henri Dunantstraat 5, 6419 PC Heerlen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 26:214-22. 2005..i.d. A combination of both drugs q.d. was most effective and provided an additive effect throughout the 24-h dosing interval...
- Therapeutic gains of prolonged bronchial dilatation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGerard M Turino
Ann Intern Med 143:386-7. 2005
- The effect of tiotropium on hyperinflation and exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseC Verkindre
Centre Hospitalier Germon et Gauthier, , France
Respiration 73:420-7. 2006..CONCLUSION: Tiotropium 18 mug once daily reduced hyperinflation with consequent improvements in walking distance and HRQoL in patients with COPD and lung hyperinflation...
- Improved daytime spirometric efficacy of tiotropium compared with salmeterol in patients with COPDD D Briggs
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 459 Boshell Diabetes Building, 1808 7th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 18:397-404. 2005..A study was conducted comparing the long-acting anticholinergic tiotropium with the long-acting beta-agonist salmeterol to confirm the significant improvements in daytime bronchodilator efficacy seen with tiotropium in previous studies...
- The role of tiotropium bromide, a long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilator, in the management of COPDFarzad Saberi
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Treat Respir Med 4:275-81. 2005..Tiotropium bromide, because of its once-daily administration and its established efficacy and tolerability profile, has emerged as an attractive therapeutic option for this condition...
- The efficacy of tiotropium administered via Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler or HandiHaler in COPD patientsJ A Van Noord
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Respir Med 103:22-9. 2009..The Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler (SMI), a novel, propellant-free inhaler, has been developed and proposed as an alternative delivery device for use with tiotropium...
- A pilot study to assess the effects of combining fluticasone propionate/salmeterol and tiotropium on the airflow obstruction of patients with severe-to-very severe COPDMario Cazzola
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Department of Internal Medicine, Unit of Respiratory Diseases, Rome, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:556-61. 2007..Our results suggest that adding FSC and tiotropium may provide benefits in symptomatic patients with severe-to-very severe stable COPD...
- Effects of replacing oxitropium with tiotropium on pulmonary function in patients with COPD: a randomized studyCristoforo Incorvaia
Unit of Pulmonary Rehabilitation, ICP Hospital, Via Bignami 1, Viale Molise 69, Milan, Italy
Respir Med 101:476-80. 2007..We designed a study to compare the short-term efficacy of tiotropium bromide with that of oxitropium bromide in improving pulmonary function in patients with COPD...
- Effect of add-on therapy of tiotropium in COPD treated with theophyllineTomotaka Kawayama
Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:137-47. 2008..Although combination therapy with bronchodilators is recommended for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), there is insufficient evidence for the efficacy of some combinations of long-acting bronchodilators...
- Small airways ventilation heterogeneity and hyperinflation in COPD: response to tiotropium bromideSylvia Verbanck
Respiratory Division, University Hospital Brussels, Belgium
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:625-34. 2007..We conclude that the sustained improvements in trough IC and FEV1 with tiotropium bromide predominantly observed in COPD patients with considerable hyperinflation, are unrelated to small airways ventilation heterogeneity...
- Impairment of small airways in COPD patients with frequent exacerbations and effects of treatment with tiotropiumCristoforo Incorvaia
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Unit, ICP Hospital, Milan, Italy
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:123-6. 2008..Treatment with tiotropium in COPD subjects with frequent exacerbations proved to be effective in improving small airway impairment...
- Survival with tiotropium compared to long-acting Beta-2-agonists in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary DiseaseAndrea S Gershon
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
COPD 5:229-34. 2008..This result suggests that tiotropium might also be associated with decreased mortality compared to no treatment at all. Randomized placebo-control trials are needed to confirm these findings...
- Role of tiotropium in the treatment of COPDKathryn L Rice
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:95-105. 2007..Medico economic analyses suggest that treatment with tiotropium may also be cost-effective, primarily by reducing costs associated with hospitalizations...
- Comparative safety of long-acting inhaled bronchodilators: a cohort study using the UK THIN primary care databaseMichele Jara
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Drug Saf 30:1151-60. 2007..In COPD, the organ system most frequently requiring medical care, other than the respiratory system, is the cardiac system...
- Effects of short-acting bronchodilators added to maintenance tiotropium therapyHuib A M Kerstjens
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Chest 132:1493-9. 2007..Combining bronchodilators has been shown to be beneficial in patients with COPD. The additive effects of short-acting bronchodilators added to maintenance tiotropium therapy, however, are unknown...
- The INSPIRE study: influence of prior use and discontinuation of inhaled corticosteroidsStephan F Lanes
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:543-4; author reply 544. 2008
- Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysisSonal Singh
Department of Medicine, One Medical Center Blvd, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
JAMA 300:1439-50. 2008..Inhaled anticholinergics (ipratropium bromide or tiotropium bromide) are widely used in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) but their effect on the risk of cardiovascular outcomes is unknown...
- Pooled clinical trial analysis of tiotropium safetySteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 900 Ridgebury Road, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Chest 130:1695-703. 2006..Marketing approval of pharmaceutical products is often based on data from several thousand subjects or fewer. Evaluation of safety is greatly enhanced by augmenting the safety database with postapproval studies...
- Comparable spirometric efficacy of tiotropium compared with salmeterol plus fluticasone in patients with COPD: a pilot studyE D Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, PO Box 34560, Groote Schuur 7937, Cape Town, South Africa
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:20-5. 2008....
- The additive effect of theophylline on a combination of formoterol and tiotropium in stable COPD: a pilot studyMario Cazzola
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Respir Med 101:957-62. 2007....
- Double-blind randomized parallel group study comparing the efficacy and safety of tiotropium and ipratropium in the treatment of COPD patients in TaiwanJeng Yuan Hsu
Division of Chest Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, and Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 105:708-14. 2006..To compare the efficacy and safety of tiotropium and ipratropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Taiwan...
- A dose-ranging study of indacaterol in obstructive airways disease, with a tiotropium comparisonStephen Rennard
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5885, USA
Respir Med 102:1033-44. 2008..Indacaterol demonstrated a good overall safety and tolerability profile...
- Tiotropium bromide. A review of its use as maintenance therapy in patients with COPDSusan J Keam
Adis International Inc, Yardley, Pennsylvania, USA
Treat Respir Med 3:247-68. 2004..Similar proportions of tiotropium, salmeterol, and placebo recipients required COPD-related hospitalizations. (ABSTRACT TRUNCATED)..
- Cardiovascular safety of tiotropium in patients with COPDBartolome Celli
Carita St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Chest 137:20-30. 2010..The clinical trial safety database for tiotropium has been augmented with a 4-year trial in patients with COPD, which provides an opportunity to better evaluate the cardiovascular (CV) profile of tiotropium...
- Pharmacodynamic steady state of tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJ A Van Noord
Dept of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medical Centre, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 19:639-44. 2002..The continued increases in forced vital capacity beyond 48 h suggests that maintenance bronchodilator therapy is required to achieve maximal changes in hyperinflation...
- Long-term efficacy of tiotropium in relation to smoking status in the UPLIFT trialD P Tashkin
Dept of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Eur Respir J 35:287-94. 2010..63 units, p = 0.0006) and the least in IS (-0.60 units, p = 0.51), [corrected] compared with control. Tiotropium provided long-term benefits irrespective of smoking status, although differences among categories were observed...
- One-year cost-effectiveness of tiotropium versus ipratropium to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJ B Oostenbrink
Erasmus Medical Centre, Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 23:241-9. 2004..Substituting tiotropium for ipratropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients offers improved health outcomes and is associated with increased costs of 180 Euro per patient per year...
- The functional impact of adding salmeterol and tiotropium in patients with stable COPDM Cazzola
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Antonio Cardarelli Hospital, Via del Parco Margherita 24, Napoli 80121, Italy
Respir Med 98:1214-21. 2004....
- Efficacy and safety of oxitropium bromide, theophylline and their combination in COPD patients: a double-blind, randomized, multicentre study (BREATH Trial)V Bellia
Istituto Clinica delle Malattie Apparato Respiration, Palermo, Italy
Respir Med 96:881-9. 2002..Oxitropium bromide in combination with theophylline provided a greater improvement in evening post-dosing PEFR. Oxitropium bromide alone or in combination with theophylline improved the quality of life better than theophylline alone...
- Long-acting inhaled anticholinergic therapy improves sleeping oxygen saturation in COPDW T McNicholas
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Respir J 23:825-31. 2004..End-of-treatment FEV1 correlated with Sa,O2 during REM sleep, however, tiotropium did not change sleep quality. Sustained anticholinergic blockade improves sleeping arterial oxygen saturation without affecting sleep quality...
- Healthcare costs with tiotropium plus usual care versus usual care alone following 1 year of treatment in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)Mitchell Friedman
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 22:741-9. 2004..However, as our study did not consider the acquisition cost of tiotropium, further economic evaluation including this cost is needed to address whether tiotropium is cost saving compared with usual care (placebo)...
- The pharmacodynamic effects of single inhaled doses of formoterol, tiotropium and their combination in patients with COPDMario Cazzola
Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, Department of Respiratory Medicine, A Cardarelli Hospital, Via del Parco Margherita 24, Naples 80121, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 17:35-9. 2004..Since tiotropium ensures prolonged bronchodilation, whereas formoterol adds fast onset and a greater peak effect, the two drugs appear complementary...
- Effects of tiotropium on lung hyperinflation, dyspnoea and exercise tolerance in COPDD E O'Donnell
Respiratory Investigation Unit, Dept of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Eur Respir J 23:832-40. 2004..Resultant increases in inspiratory capacity permitted greater expansion of tidal volume and contributed to improvements in both exertional dyspnoea and exercise endurance...
- The spirometric efficacy of once-daily dosing with tiotropium in stable COPD: a 13-week multicenter trial. The US Tiotropium Study GroupR Casaburi
Harbor UCLA Research and Education Institute Dr Casaburi, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Chest 118:1294-302. 2000..To compare the bronchodilator efficacy and safety of tiotropium and placebo...
- Bronchodilator response to formoterol after regular tiotropium or to tiotropium after regular formoterol in COPD patientsMario Cazzola
Antonio Cardarelli Hospital, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, Naples, Italy
Respir Med 99:524-8. 2005..Differences between the two treatments were not statistically significant (P>0.05). The addition of second different long-acting bronchodilator to a regularly administered long-acting bronchodilator seems to be to patient's advantage...
- A long-term evaluation of once-daily inhaled tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseR Casaburi
Harbor-UCLA Research and Education Institute, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Eur Respir J 19:217-24. 2002..This suggests that tiotropium will make an important contribution to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease therapy...
- Tiotropium bromideNicholas J Gross
Hines VA Hospital, PO Box 1485, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Chest 126:1946-53. 2004..Several 1-year studies demonstrate that the only significant side effect of tiotropium was dryness of the mouth, which occurred in approximately 10 to 16% of patients; it is well tolerated by patients and safe...
- Tolerance to bronchodilating effects of salmeterol in COPDJ F Donohue
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, 130 Mason Farm Road, CB 7020 4125 Bioinformatics Bldg, Chapel Hill, NC 27599, USA
Respir Med 97:1014-20. 2003..In conclusion, tolerance to pharmacologic bronchodilation occurs with long-acting beta-agonists such as salmeterol and not with inhaled anticholinergics...
- Long-term treatment benefits with tiotropium in COPD patients with and without short-term bronchodilator responsesDonald Tashkin
Pulmonary Division, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California at Los Angeles, 90095, USA
Chest 123:1441-9. 2003....
- Health outcomes following treatment for six months with once daily tiotropium compared with twice daily salmeterol in patients with COPDV Brusasco
Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita di Genova, Genova, Italy
Thorax 58:399-404. 2003..A study was undertaken to record exacerbations and health resource use in patients with COPD during 6 months of treatment with tiotropium, salmeterol, or matching placebos...
- Effect of tiotropium bromide on circadian variation in airflow limitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseP M A Calverley
Department of Medicine, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Thorax 58:855-60. 2003..We hypothesised that tiotropium would modify the overnight change in FEV1, and this would be unaffected by the timing of drug administration...
- Tiotropium and simplified detection of dynamic hyperinflationArthur F Gelb
Department of Pharmacy Services, Lakewood Regional Medical Center, Lakewood, CA 90712, USA
Chest 131:690-5. 2007..To detect dynamic hyperinflation (DH) by evaluating reduction in inspiratory capacity (IC) during metronome-paced hyperventilation (MPH) in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD, studied before and after treatment with tiotropium...
- Clinical trial design considerations in assessing long-term functional impacts of tiotropium in COPD: the UPLIFT trialMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University Hospitals, Leuven, Belgium
COPD 1:303-12. 2004....
- Improvement in resting inspiratory capacity and hyperinflation with tiotropium in COPD patients with increased static lung volumesBartolome Celli
Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02135, USA
Chest 124:1743-8. 2003..We sought to evaluate changes in resting IC and lung volumes after long-term administration of tiotropium...
- Treatment persistence and compliance with medications for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJoyce A Cramer
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06516 2770, USA
Can Respir J 14:25-9. 2007..The present study assessed the patterns of persistence with the above mentioned inhaled medications...
- Effect of tiotropium on sputum and serum inflammatory markers and exacerbations in COPDD J Powrie
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Rowland Hill Street, London, UK
Eur Respir J 30:472-8. 2007..3 versus 34.5 days). Tiotropium reduces exacerbation frequency in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, but this effect does not appear to be due to a reduction in airway or systemic inflammation...
- [After diagnosis 11 more years remain. COPD alarm in Europe!]Ulrike Wepner
MMW Fortschr Med 144:12-3. 2002
- Association of beta2-adrenoreceptor genotypes with bronchodilatory effect of tiotropium in COPDNobuaki Umeda
Department of Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Osaka City University, Osaka, Japan
Respirology 13:346-52. 2008..The aim of the present study was to investigate whether bronchodilator response to tiotropium is influenced by beta(2)-AR genotype in patients with COPD who show poor responsiveness to inhaled beta(2)-agonists...
- Tiotropium and salmeterol/fluticasone combination do not cause oxygen desaturation in COPDFilippo Andò
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy
Respir Med 102:815-8. 2008..Moreover, they confirm that the impact of tiotropium on PaO2 is small and without clinical significance and the addition of a LABA to an ICS can reduce the potentially dangerous acute effect of the LABA on blood gases...
- Concomitant treatment with nebulized formoterol and tiotropium in subjects with COPD: a placebo-controlled trialDonald P Tashkin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Respir Med 102:479-87. 2008..2% vs. 1.5%). Nebulized formoterol fumarate in combination with tiotropium provided statistically and clinically significant improvements in bronchodilation and symptom control over tiotropium alone and demonstrated good tolerability...
- Superiority of "triple" therapy with salmeterol/fluticasone propionate and tiotropium bromide versus individual components in moderate to severe COPDD Singh
Medicines Evaluation Unit, University Hospital of South Manchester, University of Manchester, Manchester M33 3TR, UK
Thorax 63:592-8. 2008..We compared the effects of SFC 50/500 microg twice daily in addition to TIO 18 microg once daily with the individual treatments alone...
- Improved health outcomes in patients with COPD during 1 yr's treatment with tiotropiumW Vincken
Respiratory Division, AZ VUB (Academic Hospital University of Brussels, Belgium
Eur Respir J 19:209-16. 2002..The data support the use of tiotropium once-daily as first-line maintenance treatment in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Outcomes in COPD patients receiving tiotropium or salmeterol plus treatment with inhaled corticosteroidsRichard Hodder
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Ottawa, Canada
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:157-67. 2007..Treatment with tiotropium in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD was superior to salmeterol in lung function, irrespective of concurrent use of ICS...
- The prevention of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease exacerbations by salmeterol/fluticasone propionate or tiotropium bromideJadwiga A Wedzicha
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, London, UK
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:19-26. 2008..Exacerbations are key drivers of morbidity and mortality in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- [Dyspnea and quality of life in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]C Sanjuas
Servei de Pneumologia Hospital del Mar Barcelona Spain
Arch Bronconeumol 38:485-8. 2002
- Tiotropium administered by a pressurized metered dose inhaler (pMDI) and spacer produces a similar bronchodilator response as that administered by a Rotahaler in adult subjects with stable moderate-to-severe COPDB Brashier
Chest Research Foundation, Marigold Complex, Kalyaninagar, Pune 411014, India
Respir Med 101:2464-71. 2007..The clinical efficacy of this mode of tiotropium delivery has, so far, not been compared with the currently available dry powder inhaler (DPI) devices...
- Effect of inhaled bronchodilators on inspiratory capacity and dyspnoea at rest in COPDF di Marco
University of Milan, San Paolo Hospital, Respiratory Unit, Milan, Italy
Eur Respir J 21:86-94. 2003..The potential advantage of formoterol needs to be tested in a larger patient population...
- Improvement of pulmonary function and dyspnea by tiotropium in COPD patients using a transdermal beta(2)-agonistK Akamatsu
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, School of Medicine, 811 1 Kimiidera, Wakayama 641 8509, Japan
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:701-7. 2007..We examined the effect of adding a long-acting anti-cholinergic agent (tiotropium) to a transdermal-type beta(2)-agonist (tulobuterol) on dyspnea as well as pulmonary function...
- Does quality of life of COPD patients as measured by the generic EuroQol five-dimension questionnaire differentiate between COPD severity stages?Maureen P M H Rutten-van Mölken
Erasmus MC, Institute for Medical Technology Assessment iMTA, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Chest 130:1117-28. 2006..To assess the discriminative properties of the EuroQol five-dimension questionnaire (EQ-5D) with respect to COPD severity according to Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD) criteria in a large multinational study...
- Effects of tiotropium with and without formoterol on airflow obstruction and resting hyperinflation in patients with COPDJan A van Noord
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Henri Dunantstraat 5, 6419 PC Heerlen, The Netherlands
Chest 129:509-17. 2006..The combination of short-acting beta(2)-agonists and anticholinergics in the treatment of COPD has been well documented, but data on combination of long-acting agents are lacking...
- Probabilistic Markov model to assess the cost-effectiveness of bronchodilator therapy in COPD patients in different countriesJan B Oostenbrink
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Value Health 8:32-46. 2005..In this article we compare The Netherlands and Canada...
- Effects of tiotropium and other long acting bronchodilators in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGraeme P Currie
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Scotland, UK
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 19:112-9. 2006..This evidence based review article discusses the use of long acting bronchodilators in COPD with a particular emphasis on the putative benefits of tiotropium...
- Something old, something new, something borrowed. COPD treatment todayChristine A Goldman
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, West Los Angeles, USA
Adv Nurse Pract 14:49-51, 61. 2006
- One-year analysis of longitudinal changes in spirometry in patients with COPD receiving tiotropiumA Anzueto
Department of Pulmonary Critical Care, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Audie L Murphy Division, 7400 Merton Minter Blvd 111E, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 18:75-81. 2005..Airway medications have not been shown to reduce the loss of lung function in patients with COPD. We explored whether tiotropium 18 microg once daily could slow the rate of decline of lung function over a 1-year period...
- Prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with tiotropiumChester B Good
Ann Intern Med 144:147; author reply 148-9. 2006
- Improvement in exercise tolerance with the combination of tiotropium and pulmonary rehabilitation in patients with COPDRichard Casaburi
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Physiology and Medicine, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson St, Building RB 2, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Chest 127:809-17. 2005..We hypothesized that ventilatory mechanics improvements from tiotropium would permit enhanced ability to train muscles of ambulation and therefore augment exercise tolerance benefits of PR...
- Comparison of the acute effect of tiotropium versus a combination therapy with single inhaler budesonide/formoterol on the degree of resting pulmonary hyperinflationP Santus
Respiratory Medicine Unit, San Paolo Hospital, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Respir Med 100:1277-81. 2006....
- Tiotropium: a new, long-acting agent for the management of COPD--a clinical reviewDiane Crutchfield
Pharmacy Consulting Care, Knoxville, TN, USA
Director 12:160, 162-4. 2004..The once-a-day dosing and easy-to-use HandiHaler device should improve patient compliance. Overall, based on the product profile, tiotropium appears to be an effective first-line agent in the management of COPD in the nursing home...
- [Efficacy of tiotropium bromide (Spiriva) in patients with chronic-obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) of different severities]K M Beeh
insaf Institut für Atemwegsforschung, Wiesbaden
Pneumologie 60:341-6. 2006..Aim of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of inhaled Tiotropium bromide in COPD patients of different severities in pneumological practices during a three months clinical trial...
- Prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with tiotropium, a once-daily inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator: a randomized trialDennis E Niewoehner
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Intern Med 143:317-26. 2005..Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) frequently develop exacerbations, leading to major clinical and health resource use ramifications...
- The role of patient-centered outcomes in the course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: how long-term studies contribute to our understandingDonald P Tashkin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California 90095 1690, USA
Am J Med 119:63-72. 2006..This article examines the rationale for each of these studies and provides an overview of study methodology as well as preliminary demographic data...
- Clinical course of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: review of therapeutic interventionsAntonio Anzueto
Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, USA
Am J Med 119:46-53. 2006..The results of ongoing long-term studies may soon provide evidence that in addition to relieving symptoms and improving patient HRQOL, specific pharmacologic therapies may also alter the clinical course of COPD...
- Tiotropium bromide: a long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilator for the treatment of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseG F Joos
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Ghent University Hospital, Belgium
Int J Clin Pract 57:906-9. 2003..In this review we summarise the clinical development of this compound...
- An acute bronchodilator test with tiotropium or salmeterol does not allow a subdivision of patients according to responsesM G Matera
Unit of Pharmacology, Department of Experimental Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Respiration 72:466-70. 2005..Therefore, they question the direct therapeutic relevance of a subdivision of patients according to bronchodilator responses to tiotropium or salmeterol...
- The role of long-acting bronchodilators in the management of stable COPDDonald P Tashkin
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine and the UCLA Pulmonary Function and Exercise Physiology Laboratory, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Chest 125:249-59. 2004..Based on this review, a treatment algorithm for the introduction of long-acting bronchodilators to patients with COPD is proposed, which includes the use of long-acting bronchodilators early in the treatment algorithm...
- Additive benefits of tiotropium in COPD patients treated with long-acting beta agonists and corticosteroidsDiahn Warng Perng
Department of Chest Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, 201 Shih Pai Road Section 2, Taipei 11217, Taiwan
Respirology 11:598-602. 2006....
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG IMMUNITY & HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- LUNG HEALTH STUDY--LONG TERM FOLLOW UPDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..All ten of the original LHS clinical centers plan to participate in this study. To minimize bias, all surviving participants of the LHS will be invited to participate, giving a potential sample size of 5600. ..
- Distal Lung Inflammation Effect on Asthma ExacerbationsDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study has the potential to clarify the contribution of the "silent zone" to the persistent morbidity encountered with asthma. ..
- SCLERODERMA LUNG STUDYDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG IMMUNITY & HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..findings which relate to susceptibility to opportunistic infections in HIV-infected cocaine smokers. ..
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG PHYSIOLOGY, HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 1993..aureus and E. coli; and c) pulmonary interstitial lymphocytes, epithelial cells and components of alveolar epithelial lining fluid that are important in the lung's defense against infection...
- MOCSLID-CCCDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..End of Abstract) ..
- MOCSLID-CCCDonald P Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2010..End of Abstract) ..
- Drug therapy for preventing COPD exacerbationsDennis Niewoehner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both trials are designed with 80% power to show a 30% reduction in severe exacerbations at a significance level of 0.05. ..
- Response to Beta2-Agonists in Acute Severe AsthmaNicola Hanania; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Strategies to Improve COPD ManagementRichard Casaburi; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should have immediate impact on treatment strategies for large poor-prognosis subgroups of COPD patients. ..
- V & Q Disturbances in Obliterative BronchiolitisDavid Lipson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Adult Asthma: Biology, Society and EnvironmentPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2005..05 level for dichotomous outcomes. This project addresses a major research need and can be a basis for the development of public policies to address environmentally related and other health disparities in adult asthma. ..
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK (ACRN)Stephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- RAT GENE EXPRESSION ANATOMYNorman Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul D Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..
- Pulmonary Vascular Changes in Early Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)R Barr; Fiscal Year: 2009..If confirmed, this hypothesis would lead to the testing of currently available (e.g., statins) and novel (e.g., stem cell) therapies targeted to the endothelium in COPD. ..
- Mapping Gene Networks in Colon CancerNorman Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Pulmonary Vascular Changes in Early Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)R Graham Barr; Fiscal Year: 2010..If confirmed, this hypothesis would lead to the testing of currently available (e.g., statins) and novel (e.g., stem cell) therapies targeted to the endothelium in COPD. ..
- Endothelial Dysfunction, Biomarkers and Lung FunctionR Barr; Fiscal Year: 2007..This novel hypothesis, if confirmed, has the potential to lead directly to the testing of currently available therapies for endothelial dysfunction in COPD. ..
- Cardiopulmonary structure and function in Multi-Ethnic Study of AtherosclerosisR Graham Barr; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will examine if a particular kind of heart failure (with preserved ejection fraction or "diastolic" heart failure) is caused in part by and may share pathogenesis with subclinical lung disease. ..
- THE MODULATION OF INFLAMMATORY RESPONSES IN THE LUNGStephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition, they will provide crucial information needed in order to develop novel strategies for the treatment of asthma using antiinflammatory agents...
- CONTROL OF IGE MEDIATED PULMONARY INFLAMMATION IN HUMANSStephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ASSESSING THE OCCUPATION BURDEN IN COPDPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2002..5 percent. In the longitudinal study component, we should be able to detect a RR>2.1 for selected occupational risk factors as predictors of outcomes occurring in at least 10 percent of the group. ..
- OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH GRADIENTS IN HOSPITAL WORKERS: THEPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2004..The study team will also work with a labor-management team to develop possible interventions for the problems that are identified by this study. ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..
- Fish Oil Intake, Biomarkers and Change in Lung FunctionR Barr; Fiscal Year: 2007..Use of this existing cohort with previously collected blood samples will provide relatively cost-effective results about this potentially promising and safe therapy for COPD. ..