Genomes and Genes
Summary: Analogs or derivatives of scopolamine.
Publications183 found, 100 shown here
- A 4-year trial of tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseDonald P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles 90095 1690, USA
N Engl J Med 359:1543-54. 2008..Previous studies showing that tiotropium improves multiple end points in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) led us to examine the long-term effects of tiotropium therapy...
- Once-daily bronchodilators for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: indacaterol versus tiotropiumJames F Donohue
University of North Carolina, 4125 Bioinformatics Building, 130 Mason Farm Road, CB 7020, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 182:155-62. 2010..Indacaterol is the first once-daily, long-acting inhaled beta(2)-agonist bronchodilator studied in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Blinded 12-week comparison of once-daily indacaterol and tiotropium in COPDR Buhl
Pulmonary Department, Mainz University Hospital, Langenbeckstrasse 1, Mainz, D 55131, Germany
Eur Respir J 38:797-803. 2011..Both bronchodilators demonstrated spirometric efficacy. The two treatments were well tolerated with similar adverse event profiles. Compared with tiotropium, indacaterol provided significantly greater improvements in clinical outcomes...
- Mortality in the 4-year trial of tiotropium (UPLIFT) in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseBartolome Celli
Brigham and Women s Hospital and St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:948-55. 2009..Mortality and its causes was a secondary endpoint in UPLIFT...
- Mortality associated with tiotropium mist inhaler in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsSonal Singh
Department of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 1830 E Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
BMJ 342:d3215. 2011..To systematically review the risk of mortality associated with long term use of tiotropium delivered using a mist inhaler for symptomatic improvement in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Comparative safety of inhaled medications in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review and mixed treatment comparison meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsYaa Hui Dong
Graduate Institute of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, College of Public Health, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
Thorax 68:48-56. 2013..We aimed to compare the risk of overall and cardiovascular death for inhaled medications in patients with COPD...
- Effects of tiotropium on lung hyperinflation, dyspnoea and exercise tolerance in COPDD E O'Donnell
Respiratory Investigation Unit, Dept of Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Eur Respir J 23:832-40. 2004..Resultant increases in inspiratory capacity permitted greater expansion of tidal volume and contributed to improvements in both exertional dyspnoea and exercise endurance...
- Muscarinic receptor signaling in the pathophysiology of asthma and COPDReinoud Gosens
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Respir Res 7:73. 2006....
- Cardiovascular safety of tiotropium in patients with COPDBartolome Celli
Carita St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
Chest 137:20-30. 2010..The clinical trial safety database for tiotropium has been augmented with a 4-year trial in patients with COPD, which provides an opportunity to better evaluate the cardiovascular (CV) profile of tiotropium...
- Tiotropium versus placebo for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCharlotta Karner
Population Health Sciences and Education, St George s, University of London, London, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 7:CD009285. 2012....
- Tiotropium for treatment of stable COPD: a meta-analysis of clinically relevant outcomesAbebaw Mengistu Yohannes
Department of Health Professions, Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, United Kingdom, UK
Respir Care 56:477-87. 2011....
- Efficacy and safety of tiotropium Respimat SMI in COPD in two 1-year randomized studiesEric Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 5:197-208. 2010..Tiotropium Respimat SMI 5 microg demonstrated sustained improvements in patients with COPD relative to placebo and similar to the 10 microg dose but with a lower frequency of anticholinergic adverse events...
- Effect of tiotropium on health-related quality of life as a primary efficacy endpoint in COPDA B Tonnel
Centre Hospitalier Régional Universitaire CHRU de Lille, Service de Pneumologie et Immuno Allergologie, Lille Cedex, France
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:301-10. 2008..01 +/- 0.02 L; between-group difference: 0.10 +/- 0.03 L, p = 0.0001) and reduced exacerbations vs placebo. Maintenance treatment with tiotropium provided significant and clinically relevant improvements in HRQoL, as measured by the SGRQ...
- Tiotropium in combination with placebo, salmeterol, or fluticasone-salmeterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a randomized trialShawn D Aaron
The Ottawa Health Research Institute and University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Ann Intern Med 146:545-55. 2007..Treatment of moderate or severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with combinations of inhaled corticosteroids, long-acting beta-agonists, and long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilators is common but unstudied...
- Effect of tiotropium on outcomes in patients with moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (UPLIFT): a prespecified subgroup analysis of a randomised controlled trialMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University of Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Lancet 374:1171-8. 2009..However, there are few data for treatment in the early stages of the disease. We examined the effect of tiotropium on outcomes in a large subgroup of patients with moderate COPD...
- Indacaterol provides 24-hour bronchodilation in COPD: a placebo-controlled blinded comparison with tiotropiumClaus Vogelmeier
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Inc, One Health Plaza, East Hanover, NJ 07936 1080, USA
Respir Res 11:135. 2010..This randomized, double-blind study compared the bronchodilator efficacy of indacaterol with that of placebo and tiotropium in patients with moderate-to-severe COPD...
- Inhibition of allergen-induced airway remodelling by tiotropium and budesonide: a comparisonI S T Bos
Department of Molecular Pharmacology, University of Groningen, Antonius Deusinglaan 1, 9713 AV, Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 30:653-61. 2007....
- Prevention of exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease with tiotropium, a once-daily inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator: a randomized trialDennis E Niewoehner
Minneapolis Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55417, USA
Ann Intern Med 143:317-26. 2005..Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) frequently develop exacerbations, leading to major clinical and health resource use ramifications...
- Tiotropium and risk for fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: systematic review with meta-analysisGustavo J Rodrigo
Departamento de Emergencia, Hospital Central de las Fuerzas Armadas, Av 8 de octubre 3020, Montevideo 11600, Uruguay
Respir Med 103:1421-9. 2009..The purpose of this review was to evaluate the cardiovascular risk of regular use of inhaled tiotropium bromide in patients with COPD of any severity...
- Impact of frequency of COPD exacerbations on pulmonary function, health status and clinical outcomesA Anzueto
Audie L Murphy Division, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, Texas, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:245-51. 2009..COPD exacerbations are responsible for the morbidity and mortality of this disease. The relationship between exacerbations and patient-related clinical outcomes is not clearly understood...
- The role of anticholinergics in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseasePeter J Barnes
Department of Thoracic Medicine, National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
Am J Med 117:24S-32S. 2004..Once-daily administration of tiotropium is well tolerated and has shown significant advantages over ipratropium bromide, given 4 times daily, in the control of COPD...
- The impact of tiotropium on mortality and exacerbations when added to inhaled corticosteroids and long-acting β-agonist therapy in COPDPhilip M Short
Asthma and Allergy Research Group, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 9SY, Scotland
Chest 141:81-6. 2012..It remains unclear whether benefits are seen when tiotropium is used in conjunction with inhaled corticosteroids (ICSs) plus long-acting β-agonists (LABAs)...
- Healthcare costs associated with initial maintenance therapy with fluticasone propionate 250 μg/salmeterol 50 μg combination versus anticholinergic bronchodilators in elderly US Medicare-eligible beneficiaries with COPDAnand A Dalal
GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA
J Med Econ 12:339-47. 2009....
- Tiotropium suppresses acetylcholine-induced release of chemotactic mediators in vitroFrank Buhling
Institute of Immunology, Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg, Magdeburg, Leipziger Str 44, 39120 Magdeburg, Germany
Respir Med 101:2386-94. 2007..This may contribute to the decreased rate of exacerbations in COPD, which was observed in clinical trials...
- Effects of arformoterol twice daily, tiotropium once daily, and their combination in patients with COPDD P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Respir Med 103:516-24. 2009..This 2-week, multi-center (34 sites), randomized, modified-blind, parallel group study evaluated the efficacy and safety of concomitant treatment with nebulized arformoterol (the formoterol(R,R)-isomer) BID and tiotropium DPI QD...
- Tiotropium's cost-effectiveness for the treatment of COPD: a cost-utility analysis under real-world conditionsMattias Neyt
Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre KCE, Brussels, Belgium
BMC Pulm Med 10:47. 2010..Questions however remain on this product's value for money. The purpose of this study is to calculate tiotropium's cost-effectiveness under real-world conditions...
- Suppressive activity of tiotropium bromide on matrix metalloproteinase production from lung fibroblasts in vitroKazuhito Asano
Division of Physiology, School of Nursing and Rehabilitation Sciences, Showa University Northern Yokohama Hospital, Yokohama, Japan
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:781-9. 2008..There is also increasing evidence that metalloproteinases (MMPs) may contribute to the pathogenesis of COPD, but the influence of agents that used for the treatment of COPD is not well understood...
- Effects of tiotropium with and without formoterol on airflow obstruction and resting hyperinflation in patients with COPDJan A van Noord
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Henri Dunantstraat 5, 6419 PC Heerlen, The Netherlands
Chest 129:509-17. 2006..The combination of short-acting beta(2)-agonists and anticholinergics in the treatment of COPD has been well documented, but data on combination of long-acting agents are lacking...
- Improvements in symptom-limited exercise performance over 8 h with once-daily tiotropium in patients with COPDFrancois Maltais
Centre de Recherche, Hopital Laval, Institut Universitaire de Cardiologie et de Pneumologie de l Universite Laval, 725 Chemin Ste Foy, Quebec, QC, G1V 4G5, Canada
Chest 128:1168-78. 2005..The present study was designed to gain further insight into the duration of improvements...
- Efficacy and safety of nebulized formoterol as add-on therapy in COPD patients receiving maintenance tiotropium bromide: Results from a 6-week, randomized, placebo-controlled, clinical trialNicola A Hanania
Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Drugs 69:1205-16. 2009..The addition of nebulized formoterol to tiotropium in maintenance treatment of COPD provided clinically meaningful, statistically significant and sustained improvements in pulmonary function without additional adverse effects...
- Alternative mechanisms for tiotropiumE D Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Cape Town, South Africa
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 22:533-42. 2009..This article summarizes data from a variety of investigations that provide insights into possible mechanisms to account for the effects of tiotropium. The report summarizes the discussion on basic and clinical research in this field...
- Outcomes associated with tiotropium use in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseTodd A Lee
Center for Management of Complex Chronic Care, Edward Hines Jr VA Hospital, Hines, Illinois, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1403-10. 2009..Our objective was to evaluate the comparative effectiveness of regimens containing tiotropium bromide vs other medication regimens for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in real-world clinical settings...
- A dose-ranging study of tiotropium delivered via Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler or HandiHaler in COPD patientsDenis Caillaud
CHU Clermont Ferrand, Pulmonary Department, Hopital G Montpied, Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:559-65. 2007..Tiotropium 5 and 10 microg Respimat improve lung function in COPD patients and appear to be comparable with tiotropium 18 microg HandiHaler...
- Incorporating tiotropium into a respiratory therapist-directed bronchodilator protocol for managing in-patients with COPD exacerbations decreases bronchodilator costsGail S Drescher
Pulmonary Services Department, Washington Hospital Center, 110 Irving Street NW, Washington, DC 20010, USA
Respir Care 53:1678-84. 2008..Tiotropium is used in maintenance treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but there are no guidelines on when to start tiotropium following an exacerbation...
- A 6-month, placebo-controlled study comparing lung function and health status changes in COPD patients treated with tiotropium or salmeterolJames F Donohue
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7020, USA
Chest 122:47-55. 2002..A trial was designed to examine the efficacy and safety of both compounds with multiple outcome measures, including lung function, dyspnea, and health-related quality of life (HRQoL) in patients with COPD...
- Plethysmography and impulse oscillometry assessment of tiotropium and ipratropium bromide; a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study in healthy subjectsD Singh
Medicines Evaluation Unit, North West Lung Research Centre, Manchester, UK
Br J Clin Pharmacol 61:398-404. 2006..These methods have not been compared for their ability to assess long- and short-acting anticholinergic agents. We therefore performed a double-blind, placebo-controlled, four-way cross-over study in 30 healthy subjects...
- Effects of formoterol and tiotropium bromide on mucus clearance in patients with COPDThomas Meyer
Inamed GmbH, Robert Koch Allee 29, 82131 Gauting, Germany
Respir Med 105:900-6. 2011..Treatment guidelines recommend that patients with COPD receive maintenance therapy with long-acting beta-agonists and anticholinergic agents...
- Comparative cost-effectiveness of a fluticasone-propionate/salmeterol combination versus anticholinergics as initial maintenance therapy for chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAnand A Dalal
US Health Outcomes, GlaxoSmithKline, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 6:13-22. 2011....
- Bronchodilator responsiveness in patients with COPDD P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024, USA
Eur Respir J 31:742-50. 2008..The majority of patients with moderate-to-very-severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease demonstrate meaningful increases in lung function following administration of inhaled anticholinergic plus sympathomimetic bronchodilators...
- Tiotropium 5microg via Respimat and 18microg via HandiHaler; efficacy and safety in Japanese COPD patientsM Ichinose
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Wakayama Medical University, Kimiidera, Wakayama, Japan
Respir Med 104:228-36. 2010..To compare the efficacy and safety of tiotropium inhaled via Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler, a multidose propellant-free inhaler and HandiHaler, a single-dose dry powder inhaler, in a phase 2 study of Japanese COPD patients...
- Premature discontinuation during the UPLIFT studyMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University Hospital, University of Leuven, Herestraat 49, Leuven, Belgium
Respir Med 105:1523-30. 2011..Placebo-controlled clinical trials on COPD are characterized by premature discontinuation. At present, no clear insight into this phenomenon is available...
- Quantifying the association and dissociation rates of unlabelled antagonists at the muscarinic M3 receptorMark R Dowling
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research, Wimblehurst Road, Horsham, West Sussex RH12 5AB
Br J Pharmacol 148:927-37. 2006....
- Tiotropium bromide, a new, once-daily inhaled anticholinergic bronchodilator for chronic-obstructive pulmonary diseaseAlicia R ZuWallack
St Francis Hospital and Medical Center, Hartford, CT 06105, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:1827-35. 2004..Preliminary data suggest that combining tiotropium with long-acting beta-agonists may produce additional bronchodilator action in COPD...
- The effect of inhaled tiotropium bromide on lung mucociliary clearance in patients with COPDAmir Hasani
Department of Medical Physics, Royal Free Hampstead NHS Trust and Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Chest 125:1726-34. 2004..To assess the effects of tiotropium on lung mucociliary clearance in COPD...
- Comparison of risk of neurovascular and cardiovascular side effects between tiotropium and other anticholinergic agentsReem Alzayer
Curtin University of Technology, Perth, Australia
Qual Prim Care 18:189-99. 2010..The aim of this study was to examine the risk of cardiovascular diseases among users of both inhaled (ipratropium bromide or tiotropium bromide) and oral (oxybutynin and propantheline, solifenacin, tolterodine) anticholinergics...
- The effect of tiotropium on exacerbations and airflow in patients with COPDD Dusser
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, 27 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679 Paris, Cedex 14, France
Eur Respir J 27:547-55. 2006..In conclusion, tiotropium reduced exacerbations and associated health resource use, and improved airflow over 1 yr in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients...
- Efficacy and safety of tiotropium in COPD patients in primary care--the SPiRiva Usual CarE (SPRUCE) studyDaryl Freeman
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen, UK
Respir Res 8:45. 2007..In primary care, which is the most common setting for COPD management, many patients may have milder disease, and also may take a broad range of concomitant medication...
- Tiotropium induced bronchodilation and protection from dynamic hyperinflation is independent of extent of emphysema in COPDArthur F Gelb
Pulmonary Division, Department of Medicine, Lakewood Regional Medical Center, Lakewood, CA, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 22:237-42. 2009..The magnitude of tiotropium (1) induced bronchodilation and (2) protection against dynamic hyperinflation in COPD phenotypes has not been studied...
- Does tiotropium lower exacerbation and hospitalization frequency in COPD patients: results of a meta-analysisAnn Van den Bruel
Belgian Health Care Knowledge Centre KCE, Brussels, Belgium
BMC Pulm Med 10:50. 2010..The purpose of this study is to estimate the effect of tiotropium, a long-acting anticholinergic inhalant, on exacerbation and hospitalisation frequency...
- Superiority of "triple" therapy with salmeterol/fluticasone propionate and tiotropium bromide versus individual components in moderate to severe COPDD Singh
Medicines Evaluation Unit, University Hospital of South Manchester, University of Manchester, Manchester M33 3TR, UK
Thorax 63:592-8. 2008..We compared the effects of SFC 50/500 microg twice daily in addition to TIO 18 microg once daily with the individual treatments alone...
- Tiotropium improves FEV1 in patients with COPD irrespective of smoking statusJ Moita
Centro Hospitalar de Coimbra, Pneumology Service, Quinta dos Vales, 3041 853 Coimbra, Portugal
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:146-51. 2008..placebo in both smokers and ex-smokers suggests that tiotropium is an effective and well-tolerated therapy in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), regardless of smoking status...
- A long-term evaluation of once-daily inhaled tiotropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseR Casaburi
Harbor UCLA Research and Education Institute, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Eur Respir J 19:217-24. 2002..This suggests that tiotropium will make an important contribution to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease therapy...
- A one-year trial of tiotropium Respimat plus usual therapy in COPD patientsE D Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, University of Cape Town, Mowbray, Cape Town, South Africa
Respir Med 104:1460-72. 2010..The protocol is registered on the European Clinical Trials Database as trial number 2006-001009-27 and in the ClinicalTrials.gov database as NCT00387088...
- Tiotropium for stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A meta-analysisR G Barr
Division of General Medicine, PH 9 East Room 105, Columbia University Medical Centre, 630 West 168th Street, New York, NY 10032, USA
Thorax 61:854-62. 2006....
- Minimal important difference of the transition dyspnoea index in a multinational clinical trialT J Witek
Respiratory Development and Operations, Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH Ingelheim am Rhein, Germany
Eur Respir J 21:267-72. 2003....
- Health outcomes following treatment for six months with once daily tiotropium compared with twice daily salmeterol in patients with COPDV Brusasco
Facolta di Medicina e Chirurgia, Universita di Genova, Genova, Italy
Thorax 58:399-404. 2003..A study was undertaken to record exacerbations and health resource use in patients with COPD during 6 months of treatment with tiotropium, salmeterol, or matching placebos...
- Formoterol and tiotropium compared with tiotropium alone for treatment of COPDDonald P Tashkin
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, University of California Los Angeles, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
COPD 6:17-25. 2009..04) were seen at endpoint with combination FORM + TIO versus TIO monotherapy. Both treatments were well tolerated. This study demonstrated that concurrent treatment with FORM + TIO results in greater therapeutic benefits than TIO alone...
- Enhanced persistence with tiotropium compared with other respiratory drugs in COPDNancy S Breekveldt-Postma
PHARMO Institute, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Respir Med 101:1398-405. 2007..Tiotropium is a once-daily inhaled anticholinergic maintenance treatment with demonstrated effectiveness in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- A randomized controlled trial to assess the efficacy of tiotropium in Canadian patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseCharles K N Chan
University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada
Can Respir J 14:465-72. 2007..Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) who smoke have a greater annual rate of decline in forced expiratory volume in 1 s (FEV(1)) than those patients who have stopped smoking...
- Tiotropium HandiHaler in the treatment of COPD: a safety reviewSteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 4:397-409. 2009..We sought to update an evaluation of the safety of tiotropium in the HandiHaler formulation as significant clinical trial data have become available over time...
- Absence of electrocardiographic findings and improved function with once-daily tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseHenry Covelli
Pulmonary Consultants of North Idaho, Coeur d Alene, Idaho 83814, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1708-18. 2005..To examine electrocardiographic findings after short- and long-term tiotropium therapy in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and to establish previously reported symptomatic efficacy...
- Improvement in self-reported exercise participation with the combination of tiotropium and rehabilitative exercise training in COPD patientsSteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Ingelheim, Germany 2Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Torrance, CA, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:127-36. 2008..Improvements in ventilatory mechanics with tiotropium increases exercise tolerance during pulmonary rehabilitation. We wondered whether tiotropium also increased physical activities outside of pulmonary rehabilitation...
- Comparative safety of long-acting inhaled bronchodilators: a cohort study using the UK THIN primary care databaseMichele Jara
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals Inc, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Drug Saf 30:1151-60. 2007..In COPD, the organ system most frequently requiring medical care, other than the respiratory system, is the cardiac system...
- Inhaled anticholinergics and risk of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review and meta-analysisSonal Singh
Department of Medicine, One Medical Center Blvd, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
JAMA 300:1439-50. 2008..Inhaled anticholinergics (ipratropium bromide or tiotropium bromide) are widely used in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) but their effect on the risk of cardiovascular outcomes is unknown...
- The additive effect of theophylline on a combination of formoterol and tiotropium in stable COPD: a pilot studyMario Cazzola
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, A Cardarelli Hospital, Naples, Italy
Respir Med 101:957-62. 2007....
- Double-blind randomized parallel group study comparing the efficacy and safety of tiotropium and ipratropium in the treatment of COPD patients in TaiwanJeng Yuan Hsu
Division of Chest Medicine, Taichung Veterans General Hospital, and Institute of Medicine, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
J Formos Med Assoc 105:708-14. 2006..To compare the efficacy and safety of tiotropium and ipratropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Taiwan...
- Long-term efficacy of tiotropium in relation to smoking status in the UPLIFT trialD P Tashkin
Dept of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA, 10833 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1690, USA
Eur Respir J 35:287-94. 2010..63 units, p = 0.0006) and the least in IS (-0.60 units, p = 0.51), [corrected] compared with control. Tiotropium provided long-term benefits irrespective of smoking status, although differences among categories were observed...
- Effects of replacing oxitropium with tiotropium on pulmonary function in patients with COPD: a randomized studyCristoforo Incorvaia
Unit of Pulmonary Rehabilitation, ICP Hospital, Via Bignami 1, Viale Molise 69, Milan, Italy
Respir Med 101:476-80. 2007..We designed a study to compare the short-term efficacy of tiotropium bromide with that of oxitropium bromide in improving pulmonary function in patients with COPD...
- A pilot study to assess the effects of combining fluticasone propionate/salmeterol and tiotropium on the airflow obstruction of patients with severe-to-very severe COPDMario Cazzola
University of Rome Tor Vergata, Department of Internal Medicine, Unit of Respiratory Diseases, Rome, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:556-61. 2007..Our results suggest that adding FSC and tiotropium may provide benefits in symptomatic patients with severe-to-very severe stable COPD...
- The efficacy of tiotropium administered via Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler or HandiHaler in COPD patientsJ A Van Noord
Department of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Respir Med 103:22-9. 2009..The Respimat Soft Mist Inhaler (SMI), a novel, propellant-free inhaler, has been developed and proposed as an alternative delivery device for use with tiotropium...
- The INSPIRE study: influence of prior use and discontinuation of inhaled corticosteroidsStephan F Lanes
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 178:543-4; author reply 544. 2008
- Survival with tiotropium compared to long-acting Beta-2-agonists in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary DiseaseAndrea S Gershon
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
COPD 5:229-34. 2008..This result suggests that tiotropium might also be associated with decreased mortality compared to no treatment at all. Randomized placebo-control trials are needed to confirm these findings...
- Effect of add-on therapy of tiotropium in COPD treated with theophyllineTomotaka Kawayama
Department of Medicine, Kurume University School of Medicine, Kurume, Japan
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:137-47. 2008..Although combination therapy with bronchodilators is recommended for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), there is insufficient evidence for the efficacy of some combinations of long-acting bronchodilators...
- Comparable spirometric efficacy of tiotropium compared with salmeterol plus fluticasone in patients with COPD: a pilot studyE D Bateman
Division of Pulmonology, Department of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Cape Town, PO Box 34560, Groote Schuur 7937, Cape Town, South Africa
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 21:20-5. 2008....
- Pooled clinical trial analysis of tiotropium safetySteven Kesten
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc, 900 Ridgebury Road, Ridgefield, CT 06877 0368, USA
Chest 130:1695-703. 2006..Marketing approval of pharmaceutical products is often based on data from several thousand subjects or fewer. Evaluation of safety is greatly enhanced by augmenting the safety database with postapproval studies...
- A dose-ranging study of indacaterol in obstructive airways disease, with a tiotropium comparisonStephen Rennard
University of Nebraska Medical Center, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Omaha, Nebraska 68198 5885, USA
Respir Med 102:1033-44. 2008..Indacaterol demonstrated a good overall safety and tolerability profile...
- Small airways ventilation heterogeneity and hyperinflation in COPD: response to tiotropium bromideSylvia Verbanck
Respiratory Division, University Hospital Brussels, Belgium
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:625-34. 2007..We conclude that the sustained improvements in trough IC and FEV1 with tiotropium bromide predominantly observed in COPD patients with considerable hyperinflation, are unrelated to small airways ventilation heterogeneity...
- Role of tiotropium in the treatment of COPDKathryn L Rice
University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, USA
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 2:95-105. 2007..Medico economic analyses suggest that treatment with tiotropium may also be cost-effective, primarily by reducing costs associated with hospitalizations...
- Impairment of small airways in COPD patients with frequent exacerbations and effects of treatment with tiotropiumCristoforo Incorvaia
Pulmonary Rehabilitation Unit, ICP Hospital, Milan, Italy
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 3:123-6. 2008..Treatment with tiotropium in COPD subjects with frequent exacerbations proved to be effective in improving small airway impairment...
- Effects of short-acting bronchodilators added to maintenance tiotropium therapyHuib A M Kerstjens
Department of Pulmonary Diseases, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, PO Box 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Chest 132:1493-9. 2007..Combining bronchodilators has been shown to be beneficial in patients with COPD. The additive effects of short-acting bronchodilators added to maintenance tiotropium therapy, however, are unknown...
- One-year cost-effectiveness of tiotropium versus ipratropium to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJ B Oostenbrink
Erasmus Medical Centre, Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 23:241-9. 2004..Substituting tiotropium for ipratropium in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients offers improved health outcomes and is associated with increased costs of 180 Euro per patient per year...
- Long-acting inhaled anticholinergic therapy improves sleeping oxygen saturation in COPDW T McNicholas
Dept of Respiratory Medicine, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Respir J 23:825-31. 2004..End-of-treatment FEV1 correlated with Sa,O2 during REM sleep, however, tiotropium did not change sleep quality. Sustained anticholinergic blockade improves sleeping arterial oxygen saturation without affecting sleep quality...
- Therapeutic gains of prolonged bronchial dilatation in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseGerard M Turino
Ann Intern Med 143:386-7. 2005
- Improved daytime spirometric efficacy of tiotropium compared with salmeterol in patients with COPDD D Briggs
University of Alabama at Birmingham, 459 Boshell Diabetes Building, 1808 7th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL, USA
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 18:397-404. 2005..A study was conducted comparing the long-acting anticholinergic tiotropium with the long-acting beta-agonist salmeterol to confirm the significant improvements in daytime bronchodilator efficacy seen with tiotropium in previous studies...
- The pharmacodynamic effects of single inhaled doses of formoterol, tiotropium and their combination in patients with COPDMario Cazzola
Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, Department of Respiratory Medicine, A Cardarelli Hospital, Via del Parco Margherita 24, Naples 80121, Italy
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 17:35-9. 2004..Since tiotropium ensures prolonged bronchodilation, whereas formoterol adds fast onset and a greater peak effect, the two drugs appear complementary...
- Bronchodilator response to formoterol after regular tiotropium or to tiotropium after regular formoterol in COPD patientsMario Cazzola
Antonio Cardarelli Hospital, Department of Respiratory Medicine, Unit of Pneumology and Allergology, Naples, Italy
Respir Med 99:524-8. 2005..Differences between the two treatments were not statistically significant (P>0.05). The addition of second different long-acting bronchodilator to a regularly administered long-acting bronchodilator seems to be to patient's advantage...
- Healthcare costs with tiotropium plus usual care versus usual care alone following 1 year of treatment in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)Mitchell Friedman
Tulane University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Pharmacoeconomics 22:741-9. 2004....
- Tiotropium bromide. A review of its use as maintenance therapy in patients with COPDSusan J Keam
Adis International Inc, Yardley, Pennsylvania, USA
Treat Respir Med 3:247-68. 2004..Similar proportions of tiotropium, salmeterol, and placebo recipients required COPD-related hospitalizations. (ABSTRACT TRUNCATED)..
- The functional impact of adding salmeterol and tiotropium in patients with stable COPDM Cazzola
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Antonio Cardarelli Hospital, Via del Parco Margherita 24, Napoli 80121, Italy
Respir Med 98:1214-21. 2004....
- The effect of tiotropium on hyperinflation and exercise capacity in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseC Verkindre
Centre Hospitalier Germon et Gauthier, Bethune, France
Respiration 73:420-7. 2006..Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is characterized by airflow limitation, which results in the progressive development of dyspnea and exercise limitation...
- Tiotropium for the treatment of stable chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a systematic review with meta-analysisGustavo J Rodrigo
Clinica Respirar, Benito Nardone 2310, Montevideo 11300, Uruguay
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 20:495-502. 2007....
- Tiotropium bromideNicholas J Gross
Hines VA Hospital, PO Box 1485, Hines, IL 60141, USA
Chest 126:1946-53. 2004..Several 1-year studies demonstrate that the only significant side effect of tiotropium was dryness of the mouth, which occurred in approximately 10 to 16% of patients; it is well tolerated by patients and safe...
- The spirometric efficacy of once-daily dosing with tiotropium in stable COPD: a 13-week multicenter trial. The US Tiotropium Study GroupR Casaburi
Harbor UCLA Research and Education Institute Dr Casaburi, Torrance, CA 90509, USA
Chest 118:1294-302. 2000..To compare the bronchodilator efficacy and safety of tiotropium and placebo...
- The role of tiotropium bromide, a long-acting anticholinergic bronchodilator, in the management of COPDFarzad Saberi
Division of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Treat Respir Med 4:275-81. 2005..Tiotropium bromide, because of its once-daily administration and its established efficacy and tolerability profile, has emerged as an attractive therapeutic option for this condition...
- Tiotropium in COPD patients not previously receiving maintenance respiratory medicationsSandra G Adams
The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and the South Texas Veterans Health Care System, Audie L Murphy Division, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Respir Med 100:1495-503. 2006..e., those who are not receiving maintenance bronchodilator therapy) or patients considered by their health care providers as having milder disease?..
- Pharmacodynamic steady state of tiotropium in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseJ A Van Noord
Dept of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medical Centre, Heerlen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 19:639-44. 2002..The continued increases in forced vital capacity beyond 48 h suggests that maintenance bronchodilator therapy is required to achieve maximal changes in hyperinflation...
- Effect of formoterol, tiotropium, and their combination in patients with acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a pilot studyFabiano Di Marco
Respiratory Medicine Unit, University of Milan, Ospedale San Paolo, Milano, Italy
Respir Med 100:1925-32. 2006....
- Comparison of tiotropium once daily, formoterol twice daily and both combined once daily in patients with COPDJ A Van Noord
Dept of Respiratory Diseases, Atrium Medisch Centrum, Henri Dunantstraat 5, 6419 PC Heerlen, The Netherlands
Eur Respir J 26:214-22. 2005..i.d. A combination of both drugs q.d. was most effective and provided an additive effect throughout the 24-h dosing interval...
- Efficacy and safety of oxitropium bromide, theophylline and their combination in COPD patients: a double-blind, randomized, multicentre study (BREATH Trial)V Bellia
Istituto Clinica delle Malattie Apparato Respiration, Palermo, Italy
Respir Med 96:881-9. 2002..Oxitropium bromide in combination with theophylline provided a greater improvement in evening post-dosing PEFR. Oxitropium bromide alone or in combination with theophylline improved the quality of life better than theophylline alone...
- Probabilistic Markov model to assess the cost-effectiveness of bronchodilator therapy in COPD patients in different countriesJan B Oostenbrink
Institute for Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus MC Rotterdam, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Value Health 8:32-46. 2005..In this article we compare The Netherlands and Canada...
- Clinical trial design considerations in assessing long-term functional impacts of tiotropium in COPD: the UPLIFT trialMarc Decramer
Respiratory Division, University Hospitals, Leuven, Belgium
COPD 1:303-12. 2004....
- SCLERODERMA LUNG STUDYDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MOCSLID-CCCDonald P Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2010..End of Abstract) ..
- MOCSLID-CCCDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2009..End of Abstract) ..
- LUNG HEALTH STUDY--LONG TERM FOLLOW UPDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..All ten of the original LHS clinical centers plan to participate in this study. To minimize bias, all surviving participants of the LHS will be invited to participate, giving a potential sample size of 5600. ..
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG IMMUNITY & HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2002..findings which relate to susceptibility to opportunistic infections in HIV-infected cocaine smokers. ..
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG PHYSIOLOGY, HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 1993..aureus and E. coli; and c) pulmonary interstitial lymphocytes, epithelial cells and components of alveolar epithelial lining fluid that are important in the lung's defense against infection...
- COCAINE SMOKING EFFECTS ON LUNG IMMUNITY & HOST DEFENSEDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Distal Lung Inflammation Effect on Asthma ExacerbationsDonald Tashkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..This study has the potential to clarify the contribution of the "silent zone" to the persistent morbidity encountered with asthma. ..
- Drug therapy for preventing COPD exacerbationsDennis Niewoehner; Fiscal Year: 2003..Both trials are designed with 80% power to show a 30% reduction in severe exacerbations at a significance level of 0.05. ..
- The Placebo Effect in AsthmaRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2005..Understanding the placebo response can lead to improvements in research and treatment of asthma. ..
- SCLERODERMA LUNG STUDYRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Trial of Acid Reflux Therapy in AsthmaRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2007..Pre-specified subgroup analyses will be conducted to determine if there are clinical or demographic characteristics that predict benefit from treatment of GERD in asthma. ..
- MULTIDISCIPLINARY TRAINING PROGRAM IN LUNG DISEASESRobert Wise; Fiscal Year: 2007..64% of graduates are currently in full-time academic positions, indicative of the program's success. ..
- Strategies to Improve COPD ManagementRichard Casaburi; Fiscal Year: 2007..These studies should have immediate impact on treatment strategies for large poor-prognosis subgroups of COPD patients. ..
- Response to Beta2-Agonists in Acute Severe AsthmaNicola Hanania; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Pulmonary Vascular Changes in Early Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)R Graham Barr; Fiscal Year: 2010..If confirmed, this hypothesis would lead to the testing of currently available (e.g., statins) and novel (e.g., stem cell) therapies targeted to the endothelium in COPD. ..
- RAT GENE EXPRESSION ANATOMYNorman Lee; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- Cardiopulmonary structure and function in Multi-Ethnic Study of AtherosclerosisR Graham Barr; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will examine if a particular kind of heart failure (with preserved ejection fraction or "diastolic" heart failure) is caused in part by and may share pathogenesis with subclinical lung disease. ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul D Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..
- Mapping Gene Networks in Colon CancerNorman Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Pulmonary Vascular Changes in Early Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)R Barr; Fiscal Year: 2009..If confirmed, this hypothesis would lead to the testing of currently available (e.g., statins) and novel (e.g., stem cell) therapies targeted to the endothelium in COPD. ..
- Endothelial Dysfunction, Biomarkers and Lung FunctionR Barr; Fiscal Year: 2007..This novel hypothesis, if confirmed, has the potential to lead directly to the testing of currently available therapies for endothelial dysfunction in COPD. ..
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK (ACRN)Stephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- V & Q Disturbances in Obliterative BronchiolitisDavid Lipson; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Adult Asthma: Biology, Society and EnvironmentPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2005..05 level for dichotomous outcomes. This project addresses a major research need and can be a basis for the development of public policies to address environmentally related and other health disparities in adult asthma. ..
- CONTROL OF IGE MEDIATED PULMONARY INFLAMMATION IN HUMANSStephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- THE MODULATION OF INFLAMMATORY RESPONSES IN THE LUNGStephen Peters; Fiscal Year: 1993..In addition, they will provide crucial information needed in order to develop novel strategies for the treatment of asthma using antiinflammatory agents...
- ASSESSING THE OCCUPATION BURDEN IN COPDPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2002..5 percent. In the longitudinal study component, we should be able to detect a RR>2.1 for selected occupational risk factors as predictors of outcomes occurring in at least 10 percent of the group. ..
- OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH GRADIENTS IN HOSPITAL WORKERS: THEPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2004..The study team will also work with a labor-management team to develop possible interventions for the problems that are identified by this study. ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..
- Fish Oil Intake, Biomarkers and Change in Lung FunctionR Barr; Fiscal Year: 2007..Use of this existing cohort with previously collected blood samples will provide relatively cost-effective results about this potentially promising and safe therapy for COPD. ..
- Physical and Social Environmental Factors in Adult Asthma OutcomesPaul Blanc; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed project builds upon our success in the current R01 by testing more specific pathways in the context of our accumulated experience to date. ..