Genomes and Genes
Summary: Nicotine is highly toxic alkaloid. It is the prototypical agonist at nicotinic cholinergic receptors where it dramatically stimulates neurons and ultimately blocks synaptic transmission. Nicotine is also important medically because of its presence in tobacco smoke.
Publications374 found, 100 shown here
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is an essential regulator of inflammationHong Wang
Laboratory of Biomedical Science, North Shore Long Island Jewish Research Institute, 350 Community Drive, Manhasset, New York 11030, USA
Nature 421:384-8. 2003..Thus, the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha7 subunit is essential for inhibiting cytokine synthesis by the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway...
- Nicotine levels in electronic cigarettesMaciej L Goniewicz
Department of General and Analytical Chemistry, School of Pharmacy and Laboratory Medicine, Medical University of Silesia, Sosnowiec, Poland
Nicotine Tob Res 15:158-66. 2013..electronic cigarette (EC) is a plastic device that imitates conventional cigarettes and was developed to deliver nicotine in a toxin-free vapor...
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems: international tobacco control four-country surveySarah E Adkison
Department of Health Behavior, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY 14263, USA
Am J Prev Med 44:207-15. 2013Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) initially emerged in 2003 and have since become widely available globally, particularly over the Internet.
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems: adult use and awareness of the 'e-cigarette' in the USAAnnette K Regan
Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta 30341, USA
Tob Control 22:19-23. 2013Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), also referred to as electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes, were introduced into the US market in 2007...
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems: a research agendaJean Francois Etter
Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, University of Geneva, CMU, Case Postale, CH 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Tob Control 20:243-8. 2011Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS, also called electronic cigarettes or e-cigarettes) are marketed to deliver nicotine and sometimes other substances by inhalation...
- Electronic cigarettes: effective nicotine delivery after acute administrationAndrea Rae Vansickel
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 15:267-70. 2013Electronic cigarettes (ECs) are marketed as nicotine delivery devices. Two studies with EC-naïve participants suggest that ECs deliver little or no nicotine...
- Stimulation of the vagus nerve attenuates macrophage activation by activating the Jak2-STAT3 signaling pathwayWouter J de Jonge
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Nat Immunol 6:844-51. 2005..The anti-inflammatory effect of nicotine required the ability of phosphorylated STAT3 to bind and transactivate its DNA response elements...
- A randomized trial of nicotine-replacement therapy patches in pregnancyTim Coleman
Division of Primary Care, U K Centre for Tobacco Control Studies and National Institute for Health Research School for Primary Care Research, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 366:808-18. 2012b>Nicotine-replacement therapy is effective for smoking cessation outside pregnancy and its use is widely recommended during pregnancy. We investigated the efficacy and safety of nicotine patches during pregnancy.
- Habenular α5 nicotinic receptor subunit signalling controls nicotine intakeChristie D Fowler
Laboratory for Behavioral and Molecular Neuroscience, Department of Molecular Therapeutics, The Scripps Research Institute Scripps Florida, Jupiter, Florida 33458, USA
Nature 471:597-601. 2011..Here we report markedly increased nicotine intake in mice with a null mutation in Chrna5...
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e-Cigarette) on smoking reduction and cessation: a prospective 6-month pilot studyRiccardo Polosa
Centro per la Prevenzione e Cura del Tabagismo CPCT, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Policlinico Vittorio Emanuele, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy
BMC Public Health 11:786. 2011..The electronic-cigarette (e-Cigarette), a battery-powered electronic nicotine delivery device (ENDD) resembling a cigarette, may help smokers to remain abstinent during their quit attempt or ..
- Effect of an electronic nicotine delivery device (e cigarette) on desire to smoke and withdrawal, user preferences and nicotine delivery: randomised cross-over trialC Bullen
Clinical Trials Research Unit, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Tob Control 19:98-103. 2010To measure the short-term effects of an electronic nicotine delivery device ("e cigarette", ENDD) on desire to smoke, withdrawal symptoms, acceptability, pharmacokinetic properties and adverse effects.
- Effects of cigarette smoke on the immune systemMohan Sopori
Immunology Program, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108, USA
Nat Rev Immunol 2:372-7. 2002..b>Nicotine, which is one of the main constituents of cigarette smoke, suppresses the immune system but might have ..
- Electronic cigarettes as a harm reduction strategy for tobacco control: a step forward or a repeat of past mistakes?Zachary Cahn
Department of Political Science, University of California at Berkeley, UC Berkeley Department of Political Science, 210 Barrows Hall 1950, Berkeley, CA 94720 1950, USA
J Public Health Policy 32:16-31. 2011..companies independent of the tobacco industry introduced electronic cigarettes, devices that deliver vaporized nicotine without combusting tobacco. We review the existing evidence on the safety and efficacy of electronic cigarettes...
- Metabolism and disposition kinetics of nicotineJanne Hukkanen
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical Service, San Francisco Genreral Hospital Medical Center, and the Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Box 1220, San Francisco, CA 94143 1220, USA
Pharmacol Rev 57:79-115. 2005b>Nicotine is of importance as the addictive chemical in tobacco, pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation, a potential medication for several diseases, and a useful probe drug for phenotyping cytochrome P450 2A6 (CYP2A6)...
- Tracking the rise in popularity of electronic nicotine delivery systems (electronic cigarettes) using search query surveillanceJohn W Ayers
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Am J Prev Med 40:448-53. 2011Public interest in electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) is undocumented.
- Gain modulation by nicotine in macaque v1Anita A Disney
Center for Neural Science, New York University, 4 Washington Place, New York, NY 10003, USA
Neuron 56:701-13. 2007..Furthermore, consistent with the release enhancement suggested by this localization, we discovered that nicotine increases responsiveness and lowers contrast threshold in layer 4c neurons...
- Electronic nicotine delivery systems: is there a need for regulation?Anna Trtchounian
Department of Cell Biology and Neuroscience, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Tob Control 20:47-52. 2011Electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) purport to deliver nicotine to the lungs of smokers...
- Aversion to nicotine is regulated by the balanced activity of β4 and α5 nicotinic receptor subunits in the medial habenulaSilke Frahm
Molecular Neurobiology Group, Max Delbrück Centrum, Berlin, Germany
Neuron 70:522-35. 2011b>Nicotine dependence is linked to single nucleotide polymorphisms in the CHRNB4-CHRNA3-CHRNA5 gene cluster encoding the α3β4α5 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR)...
- Downregulation of miR-133 and miR-590 contributes to nicotine-induced atrial remodelling in caninesHongli Shan
Department of Pharmacology, State Province Key Laboratories of Biomedicine and Pharmaceutics, Harbin, Heilongjiang 150081, PR China
Cardiovasc Res 83:465-72. 2009The present study was designed to decipher molecular mechanisms underlying nicotine's promoting atrial fibrillation (AF) by inducing atrial structural remodelling.
- A clinical laboratory model for evaluating the acute effects of electronic "cigarettes": nicotine delivery profile and cardiovascular and subjective effectsAndrea R Vansickel
Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA 23298, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1945-53. 2010..This information may be obtained by adapting clinical laboratory methods used to evaluate other PREPs for smokers...
- Nicotine decreases food intake through activation of POMC neuronsYann S Mineur
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 34 Park Street, Third Floor Research, New Haven, CT 06508, USA
Science 332:1330-2. 2011..This study demonstrates that nicotine decreases food intake and body weight by influencing the hypothalamic melanocortin system and identifies critical ..
- Cytokine-induced alterations of α7 nicotinic receptor in colonic CD4 T cells mediate dichotomous response to nicotine in murine models of Th1/Th17- versus Th2-mediated colitisValentin Galitovskiy
Institute for Immunology, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
J Immunol 187:2677-87. 2011..outcomes of treating BALB/c mice with oxazolone- and trinitrobenzene sulfonic acid (TNBS)-induced colitides by nicotine. Nicotine attenuated oxazolone colitis, which was associated with an increased percentage of colonic regulatory T ..
- Nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessationLindsay F Stead
Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 11:CD000146. 2012The aim of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) is to temporarily replace much of the nicotine from cigarettes to reduce motivation to smoke and nicotine withdrawal symptoms, thus easing the transition from cigarette smoking to complete ..
- Nicotine receptor partial agonists for smoking cessationKate Cahill
Department of Primary Care Health Sciences, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD006103. 2012b>Nicotine receptor partial agonists may help people to stop smoking by a combination of maintaining moderate levels of dopamine to counteract withdrawal symptoms (acting as an agonist) and reducing smoking satisfaction (acting as an ..
- Beneficial effects of tocotrienol and tocopherol on bone histomorphometric parameters in sprague-dawley male rats after nicotine cessationHapidin Hermizi
Department of Anatomy, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Calcif Tissue Int 84:65-74. 2009This study was conducted to determine the effectiveness of three forms of vitamin E supplements following nicotine treatment on bone histomorphometric parameters in an adult male rat model...
- Reward, addiction, withdrawal to nicotineMariella De Biasi
Department of Neuroscience, Center on Addiction, Learning, Memory, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Annu Rev Neurosci 34:105-30. 2011b>Nicotine is the principal addictive component that drives continued tobacco use despite users' knowledge of the harmful consequences...
- Nicotine reinforcement and cognition restored by targeted expression of nicotinic receptorsU Maskos
Unité Récepteurs et Cognition, CNRS URA 2182, Institut Pasteur, 25 rue du Dr Roux, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Nature 436:103-7. 2005Worldwide, 100 million people are expected to die this century from the consequences of nicotine addiction, but nicotine is also known to enhance cognitive performance...
- Cholinergic stimulation blocks endothelial cell activation and leukocyte recruitment during inflammationRubina W Saeed
Laboratory of Medicinal Biochemistry, Institute for Medical Research at North Shore LIJ, Manhasset, NY 11030, USA
J Exp Med 201:1113-23. 2005..Using the Shwartzman reaction, we observed that nicotine (2 mg/kg) and the novel cholinergic agent CAP55 (12 mg/kg) inhibit endothelial cell adhesion molecule expression...
- Nicotine activation of alpha4* receptors: sufficient for reward, tolerance, and sensitizationAndrew R Tapper
Division of Biology, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 306:1029-32. 2004The identity of nicotinic receptor subtypes sufficient to elicit both the acute and chronic effects of nicotine dependence is unknown...
- Immunomodulatory effects of cigarette smokeM L Sopori
Pathophysiology Division, Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
J Neuroimmunol 83:148-56. 1998..the acute effects of cigarette smoke on the immune system are less clear, chronic exposure to cigarette smoke or nicotine causes T cell unresponsiveness...
- Crucial role of alpha4 and alpha6 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits from ventral tegmental area in systemic nicotine self-administrationS Pons
Unité Neurobiologie Intégrative des Systèmes Cholinergiques, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
J Neurosci 28:12318-27. 2008The identification of the molecular mechanisms involved in nicotine addiction and its cognitive consequences is a worldwide priority for public health. Novel in vivo paradigms were developed to match this aim...
- Rapid Akt activation by nicotine and a tobacco carcinogen modulates the phenotype of normal human airway epithelial cellsKip A West
Cancer Therapeutics Branch, Cell and Cancer Biology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20889, USA
J Clin Invest 111:81-90. 2003..kinase Akt in nonimmortalized human airway epithelial cells in vitro by two components of cigarette smoke, nicotine and the tobacco-specific carcinogen 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK)...
- Nicotine enhances visuospatial attention by deactivating areas of the resting brain default networkBritta Hahn
Neuroimaging Research Branch, Intramural Research Program, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Neurosci 27:3477-89. 2007b>Nicotine-induced attentional enhancement is of potential therapeutic value...
- Unpredictability of nectar nicotine promotes outcrossing by hummingbirds in Nicotiana attenuataDanny Kessler
Department of Molecular Ecology, Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Hans Knöll Straße 8, D 07745 Jena, Germany
Plant J 71:529-38. 2012..Nicotiana attenuata flowers produce nectar with nicotine at concentrations that are repellent to hummingbirds, increasing the number of flowers visited per plant...
- Nicotine-induced survival signaling in lung cancer cells is dependent on their p53 status while its down-regulation by curcumin is independentVineshkumar T Puliyappadamba
Integrated Cancer Research Program, Division of Cancer Research, Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India
Mol Cancer 9:220. 2010Lung cancer is the most lethal cancer and almost 90% of lung cancer is due to cigarette smoking. Even though nicotine, one of the major ingredients of cigarette smoke and the causative agent for addiction, is not a carcinogen by itself, ..
- Complete genome sequence of the nicotine-degrading Pseudomonas putida strain S16Hao Yu
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism, School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, People s Republic of China
J Bacteriol 193:5541-2. 2011Pseudomonas putida S16 is an efficient degrader of nicotine. The complete genome of strain S16 (5,984,790 bp in length) includes genes related to catabolism of aromatic and heterocyclic compounds...
- Microbiology and biochemistry of nicotine degradationRoderich Brandsch
Institut fur Biochemie und Molekularbiologie, Hermann Herder Str 7, 79104, Freiburg, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 69:493-8. 2006Several bacterial species are adapted to nicotine, the main alkaloid produced by the tobacco plant, as growth substrate...
- Activation of the cholinergic anti-inflammatory pathway by nicotine attenuates hepatic ischemia/reperfusion injury via heme oxygenase-1 inductionJuhyun Park
School of Pharmacy, Sungkyunkwan University, Gyeonggi Do, Suwon 440 746, Republic of Korea
Eur J Pharmacol 707:61-70. 2013..Here, we investigate the cytoprotective mechanisms of nicotine, a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, against liver injury caused by I/R...
- Reduced nicotine content cigarettes: effects on toxicant exposure, dependence and cessationDorothy K Hatsukami
University of Minnesota Transdisciplinary Tobacco Use Research Center, Minneapolis, MN 55414, USA
Addiction 105:343-55. 2010To examine the effects of reduced nicotine cigarettes on smoking behavior, toxicant exposure, dependence and abstinence.
- A comparative study of the mutagenicity of various types of tobacco productsW S Rickert
Labstat International ULC, 262 Manitou Drive, Kitchener, Ont, Canada N2C 1L3
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 48:320-30. 2007..All extracts were analyzed for humectants, water and nicotine. Mutagenic activity was assessed per OECD guideline 471 using Salmonella typhimurium TA98+S9 and TA100+S9...
- Smoking cessation and weight gainC Filozof
Unidad de Tabaquismo, Area de Prevención y Rehabilitación Cardiaca, Instituto Cardiovascular, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain
Obes Rev 5:95-103. 2004..This review summarizes current information of the effects of nicotine on peptides involved in feeding behaviour...
- Endogenous fatty acid ethanolamides suppress nicotine-induced activation of mesolimbic dopamine neurons through nuclear receptorsMiriam Melis
B B Brodie Department of Neuroscience, University of Cagliari, 09042 Monserrato, Italy
J Neurosci 28:13985-94. 2008b>Nicotine stimulates the activity of mesolimbic dopamine neurons, which is believed to mediate the rewarding and addictive properties of tobacco use...
- Female sex and oral contraceptive use accelerate nicotine metabolismNeal L Benowitz
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical Service, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco 94143 1220, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 79:480-8. 2006..This could be related to sex differences in nicotine metabolism and related smoking behavior...
- Characterization of a nicotine-sensitive neuronal population in rat entorhinal cortexBin Tu
Laboratory of Neurobiology, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Neurosci 29:10436-48. 2009The entorhinal cortex (EC) is a part of the hippocampal complex that is essential to learning and memory, and nicotine affects memory by activating nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) in the hippocampal complex...
- Synaptic mechanisms underlie nicotine-induced excitability of brain reward areasHuibert D Mansvelder
Department of Anesthesia, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Neuron 33:905-19. 2002A single nicotine exposure increases dopamine levels in the mesolimbic reward system for hours, but nicotine concentrations experienced by smokers desensitize nAChRs on dopamine neurons in seconds to minutes...
- Nicotine effects on default mode network during resting stateJody Tanabe
Department of Radiology, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 216:287-95. 2011..b>Nicotine improves cognitive performance, in part by improving attention...
- The effect of menthol containing cigarettes on adult smokers' exposure to nicotine and carbon monoxideJingzhu Wang
Altria Client Services Inc, Center for Research and Technology, 601 E Jackson Street, Richmond, VA 23219, USA
Regul Toxicol Pharmacol 57:24-30. 2010..There is limited information comparing biomarkers of exposure (BOE) to cigarette smoke in menthol (MS) and non-menthol cigarette smokers (NMS)...
- Menthol's potential effects on nicotine dependence: a tobacco industry perspectiveValerie B Yerger
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Box 0612, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0612, USA
Tob Control 20:ii29-36. 2011To examine what the tobacco industry knows about the potential effects menthol may have on nicotine dependence.
- Indoor concentrations of nicotine in low-income, multi-unit housing: associations with smoking behaviours and housing characteristicsT A Kraev
Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Tob Control 18:438-44. 2009An analysis of airborne nicotine measurements collected in 49 low-income, multi-unit residences across the Greater Boston Area.
- Expression of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes in non-small-cell lung cancer reveals differences between smokers and nonsmokersDavid Chi Leung Lam
Department of Medicine, University of Hong Kong, HKSAR, China
Cancer Res 67:4638-47. 2007b>Nicotine and its derivatives, by binding to nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChR) on bronchial epithelial cells, can regulate cellular proliferation and apoptosis via activating the Akt pathway...
- Beta3 subunits promote expression and nicotine-induced up-regulation of human nicotinic alpha6* nicotinic acetylcholine receptors expressed in transfected cell linesPrem Tumkosit
Department of Neuroscience, University of Pennsylvania Medical School, 217 Stemmler Hall, 36th and Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Mol Pharmacol 70:1358-68. 2006..containing alpha6 subunits are typically found at aminergic nerve endings where they play important roles in nicotine addiction and Parkinson's disease. alpha6* AChRs usually contain beta3 subunits...
- Regulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor numbers and function by chronic nicotine exposureC L Gentry
Division of Neurobiology, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
Curr Drug Targets CNS Neurol Disord 1:359-85. 2002Recent advances concerning effects of chronic nicotine exposure on nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) expression are reviewed...
- Behavioral and neural consequences of prenatal exposure to nicotineM Ernst
Brain Imaging Center in the Neuroimaging Branch of the Intramural Research Program of the National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, MD 20892 0135, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 40:630-41. 2001To review evidence for the neurodevelopmental effects of in utero exposure to nicotine. Concerns about long-term cognitive and behavioral effects of prenatal exposure to nicotine arise from reports of increased rates of disruptive ..
- Tobacco components stimulate Akt-dependent proliferation and NFkappaB-dependent survival in lung cancer cellsJunji Tsurutani
Cancer Therapeutics Branch, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD 20889, USA
Carcinogenesis 26:1182-95. 2005..insight into the biologic basis for these clinical observations, we tested whether two tobacco components, nicotine or the tobacco-specific carcinogen, 4-(methylnitrosoamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK), could activate the Akt ..
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in cancer: multiple roles in proliferation and inhibition of apoptosisRichard D Egleton
Department of Pharmacology, Physiology and Toxicology, Joan C Edwards School of Medicine, 1 John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755, USA
Trends Pharmacol Sci 29:151-8. 2008..Components of cigarette smoke, including nicotine and NNK [4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone], are agonists of nAChRs...
- Cholinergic modulation of microglial activation by alpha 7 nicotinic receptorsR Douglas Shytle
Child Development Center, Neuroimmunology Laboratory, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine, University of South Florida College of Medciine, Tampa, Florida, USA
J Neurochem 89:337-43. 2004..Acetylcholine and nicotine pre-treatment inhibit lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced TNF-alpha release in murine-derived microglial cells, an ..
- Nicotine-mediated cell proliferation and angiogenesis: new twists to an old storyPiyali Dasgupta
Drug Discovery Program, Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida 33612, USA
Cell Cycle 5:2324-8. 2006..While there are many carcinogenic compounds present in tobacco smoke, its main addictive component, nicotine, is not carcinogenic by itself...
- Role of dopamine in the behavioural actions of nicotine related to addictionG Di Chiara
Department of Toxicology and CNR Center of Neuropharmacology, University of Cagliari, Viale Diaz 182, 09100 Cagliari, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 393:295-314. 2000..function by 6-hydroxydopamine lesions or by dopamine receptor antagonists shows that dopamine is involved in nicotine's discriminative stimulus properties, nicotine-induced facilitation of intracranial self-stimulation, intravenous ..
- The dynamic effects of nicotine on the developing brainJennifer B Dwyer
Department of Pharmacology, Med Surge II, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA 92697, USA
Pharmacol Ther 122:125-39. 2009..b>Nicotine exposure, most often via tobacco smoke, but increasingly via nicotine replacement therapy, has been shown to have ..
- Beta-amyloid regulation of presynaptic nicotinic receptors in rat hippocampus and neocortexJohn J Dougherty
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19102, USA
J Neurosci 23:6740-7. 2003..To explore this possibility, we assessed the effect of Abeta peptides on nicotine-evoked changes in presynaptic Ca2+ level via confocal imaging of isolated presynaptic nerve endings from rat ..
- Genomic analysis of Pseudomonas putida: genes in a genome island are crucial for nicotine degradationHongzhi Tang
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism and School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, PR China
Sci Rep 2:377. 2012b>Nicotine is an important chemical compound in nature that has been regarded as an environmental toxicant causing various preventable diseases...
- Nicotine induces negative energy balance through hypothalamic AMP-activated protein kinasePablo B Martínez de Morentin
Department of Physiology, School of Medicine CIMUS, University of Santiago de Compostela Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria, Santiago de Compostela, A Coruna, Spain
Diabetes 61:807-17. 2012..Numerous controlled studies in both humans and rodents have reported that nicotine exerts a marked anorectic action...
- Surveillance of moist snuff: total nicotine, moisture, pH, un-ionized nicotine, and tobacco-specific nitrosaminesPatricia Richter
Office on Smoking and Health, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:1645-52. 2008..The U.S. Surgeon General has concluded that smokeless tobacco use can lead to nicotine addiction...
- Smoking, nicotine and neuropsychiatric disordersPeter Dome
Department of Clinical and Theoretical Mental Health, Kutvolgyi Clinical Center, Semmelweis University, Faculty of Medicine, Kutvolgyi ut 4, 1125 Budapest, Hungary
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 34:295-342. 2010Tobacco smoking is an extremely addictive and harmful form of nicotine (NIC) consumption, but unfortunately also the most prevalent...
- Life-long programming implications of exposure to tobacco smoking and nicotine before and soon after birth: evidence for altered lung developmentGert S Maritz
Department of Medical Biosciences, University of the Western Cape, Bellville 7535, South Africa
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:875-98. 2011..It is now well established that components of tobacco smoke, notably nicotine, can affect multiple organs in the fetus and newborn, potentially with life-long consequences...
- Tobacco transcription factors NtMYC2a and NtMYC2b form nuclear complexes with the NtJAZ1 repressor and regulate multiple jasmonate-inducible steps in nicotine biosynthesisHong Bo Zhang
Department of Biology, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22904, USA
Mol Plant 5:73-84. 2012..stress lead to elevated levels of jasmonic acid (JA) and its derivatives and activation of the biosynthesis of nicotine and related pyridine alkaloids in cultivated tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.)...
- Nicotine up-regulates IL-8 expression in human gingival epithelial cells following stimulation with IL-1β or P. gingivalis lipopolysaccharide via nicotinic acetylcholine receptor signallingYoichiro Kashiwagi
Department of Periodontology, Division of Oral Biology and Disease Control, Osaka University Graduate School of Dentistry, 1 8 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Arch Oral Biol 57:483-90. 2012..The aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of nicotine, a major component of cigarette smoke, on interleukin-8 (IL-8) production and cellular signalling via nicotinic ..
- Enhancement of cancer stem-like and epithelial-mesenchymal transdifferentiation property in oral epithelial cells with long-term nicotine exposure: reversal by targeting SNAILCheng Chia Yu
Institute of Oral Science, Chung Shan Medical University, Taichung, Taiwan
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 266:459-69. 2013..The aim of the present study was to investigate the effects of long-term exposure with nicotine, a major component in cigarette, on CSCs and EMT characteristics...
- Nicotine delivery and subjective effects of Swedish portion snus compared with 4 mg nicotine polacrilex chewing gumErik Lunell
CROel AB, Helsingborg, Sweden
Nicotine Tob Res 13:573-8. 2011Snus availability has been claimed to have contributed to the low rates of smoking among Swedish men and made possible the transfer to a less harmful form of nicotine dependence.
- Genes and pathways co-associated with the exposure to multiple drugs of abuse, including alcohol, amphetamine/methamphetamine, cocaine, marijuana, morphine, and/or nicotine: a review of proteomics analysesJu Wang
Department of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22911, USA
Mol Neurobiol 44:269-86. 2011..the administration of alcohol, amphetamine/methamphetamine, cocaine, marijuana, morphine/heroin/butorphanol, or nicotine. From available reports, we compiled a list of 497 proteins associated with exposure to one or more addictive ..
- Nicotine replacement and behavioral therapy for smoking cessation in pregnancyKathryn I Pollak
Cancer Prevention, Detection and Control Research Program, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duke University Medical Center, 2424 Erwin Road, Durham, NC 27705, USA
Am J Prev Med 33:297-305. 2007This study examines whether adding nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) to cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) for pregnant smokers increases rates of smoking cessation.
- Nicotine enhances murine airway contractile responses to kinin receptor agonists via activation of JNK- and PDE4-related intracellular pathwaysYuan Xu
Division of Ear, Nose and Throat Diseases, CLINTEC, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Sweden
Respir Res 11:13. 2010b>Nicotine plays an important role in cigarette-smoke-associated airway disease...
- Impulsive choice and impulsive action predict vulnerability to distinct stages of nicotine seeking in ratsLeontien Diergaarde
Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research, Department of Anatomy and Neurosciences, VU Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Biol Psychiatry 63:301-8. 2008Although heavy smoking has been associated with impulsivity in humans, it is not clear whether poor impulse control represents a risk factor in the etiology of nicotine dependence.
- Is nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation effective in the "real world"? Findings from a prospective multinational cohort studyRobert West
University College London, 2 6 Torrington Place, London WC1E 6BT, UK
Thorax 62:998-1002. 2007..b>Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) has been found in clinical trials to improve the chances of success at stopping, but ..
- A novel gene, encoding 6-hydroxy-3-succinoylpyridine hydroxylase, involved in nicotine degradation by Pseudomonas putida strain S16Hongzhi Tang
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Technology, Shandong University, Jinan 250100, People s Republic of China
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:1567-74. 2008Previous research suggested that Pseudomonas spp. may attack the pyrrolidine ring of nicotine in a way similar to mammalian metabolism, resulting in the formation of pseudooxynicotine, the direct precursor of a potent tobacco-specific ..
- Ghrelin receptor antagonism attenuates nicotine-induced locomotor stimulation, accumbal dopamine release and conditioned place preference in miceElisabet Jerlhag
Section for Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, SE 405 30 Gothenburg, Sweden
Drug Alcohol Depend 117:126-31. 2011..As the target circuits for other drugs of abuse, including nicotine, in the brain includes this reward link, we sought to determine whether the central ghrelin signalling system is ..
- Zebrafish for the study of the biological effects of nicotineEric W Klee
Department of Health Sciences Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 13:301-12. 2011Zebrafish are emerging as a powerful animal model for studying the molecular and physiological effects of nicotine exposure...
- APETALA2/ETHYLENE RESPONSE FACTOR and basic helix-loop-helix tobacco transcription factors cooperatively mediate jasmonate-elicited nicotine biosynthesisKathleen De Boer
School of Biological Sciences, Monash University, Melbourne, VIC 3800, Australia
Plant J 66:1053-65. 2011..tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum) AP2/ERF factor ORC1, one of the members of the NIC2-locus ERFs that control nicotine biosynthesis and a close homologue of ORCA3, a transcriptional activator of alkaloid biosynthesis in Catharanthus ..
- A novel NADH-dependent and FAD-containing hydroxylase is crucial for nicotine degradation by Pseudomonas putidaHongzhi Tang
State Key Laboratory of Microbial Metabolism and School of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai 200240, China
J Biol Chem 286:39179-87. 2011b>Nicotine, the main alkaloid produced by Nicotiana tabacum and other Solanaceae, is very toxic and may be a leading toxicant causing preventable disease and death, with the rise in global tobacco consumption...
- Nucleus accumbens CREB activity is necessary for nicotine conditioned place preferenceDarlene H Brunzell
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, USA
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:1993-2001. 2009The ability of nicotine to alter firing of dopamine neurons is the first step leading to nicotine reward, but activation of intracellular signaling pathways downstream of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors is likely to be critical for ..
- Nicotinic receptors in the rat prefrontal cortex: increase in glutamate release and facilitation of mediodorsal thalamo-cortical transmissionY Gioanni
INSERM U114, College de France, Paris, France
Eur J Neurosci 11:18-30. 1999..The lesion resulted in a 40% reduction of 3H-nicotine autoradiographic labelling in the ipsilateral prefrontal cortex, particularly in areas that are innervated by the ..
- If nicotine is a developmental neurotoxicant in animal studies, dare we recommend nicotine replacement therapy in pregnant women and adolescents?Theodore A Slotkin
Box 3813 DUMC, Department of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Neurotoxicol Teratol 30:1-19. 2008..Over the past two decades, animal models of prenatal nicotine exposure have demonstrated that nicotine is a neurobehavioral teratogen that disrupts brain development by ..
- Distinct contributions of nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit alpha4 and subunit alpha6 to the reinforcing effects of nicotineRichard Exley
Department of Physiology, Anatomy and Genetics, University of Oxford, Oxford OX1 3PT, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7577-82. 2011b>Nicotine is the primary psychoactive component of tobacco. Its reinforcing and addictive properties depend on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) located within the mesolimbic axis originating in the ventral tegmental area (VTA)...
- Personalized smoking cessation: interactions between nicotine dose, dependence and quit-success genotype scoreJed E Rose
Department of Psychiatry and Center for Nicotine and Smoking Cessation Research, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27705, USA
Mol Med 16:247-53. 2010Improving and targeting nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) are cost-effective strategies for reducing adverse health consequences for smokers...
- The effects of smoking on the developing lung: insights from a biologic model for lung development, homeostasis, and repairVirender K Rehan
Department of Pediatrics, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, 1124 West Carson Street, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Lung 187:281-9. 2009..Using a biologic model of lung development, homeostasis, and repair, we have determined that in utero nicotine exposure disrupts specific molecular paracrine communications between epithelium and interstitium that are driven ..
- Associative learning, the hippocampus, and nicotine addictionJennifer A Davis
Department of Psychology, Center for Substance Abuse Research, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
Curr Drug Abuse Rev 1:9-19. 2008The abuse liability of nicotine is comparable to or greater than that of a variety of addictive substances...
- Nicotine and inflammatory neurological disordersWen Hua Piao
Barrow Neurological Institute, St Joseph s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85013, USA
Acta Pharmacol Sin 30:715-22. 2009..b>Nicotine is the main immunosuppressive constituent of cigarette smoke, which inhibits both the innate and adaptive immune ..
- Sex differences in long-term smoking cessation rates due to nicotine patchKenneth A Perkins
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:1245-50. 2008..We conducted a meta-analysis of the 14 placebo-controlled nicotine patch trials (N = 6,250) for which long-term (6 months) clinical outcome results could be determined separately ..
- Positive modulation of GABA(B) receptors decreased nicotine self-administration and counteracted nicotine-induced enhancement of brain reward function in ratsNeil E Paterson
Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, University of California San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 326:306-14. 2008Acute administration of gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-B receptor agonists decreases nicotine, cocaine, ethanol, and heroin self-administration and also decreases food-maintained responding and suppresses locomotor activity at high doses...
- Nicotine inhibits apoptosis induced by chemotherapeutic drugs by up-regulating XIAP and survivinPiyali Dasgupta
Department of Interdisciplinary Oncology, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, University of South Florida, 12902 Magnolia Drive, Tampa, FL 33647, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:6332-7. 2006Non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) demonstrates a strong etiologic association with smoking. Although nicotine is not carcinogenic, it can induce cell proliferation and angiogenesis and suppress apoptosis induced by certain agents...
- Higher nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in menthol cigarette smokers with and without schizophreniaJill M Williams
UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and UMDNJ School of Public Health Tobacco Dependence Program, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:873-81. 2007..Expired carbon monoxide (CO) and serum nicotine and cotinine were measured in 89 smokers with schizophrenia and 53 control smokers immediately after smoking an ..
- Cigarette smoking and lung cancer: chemical mechanisms and approaches to preventionStephen S Hecht
University of Minnesota Cancer Center, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA
Lancet Oncol 3:461-9. 2002..These new approaches are necessary as adjuncts to education and cessation efforts, which despite some success have not eliminated tobacco smoking...
- FOXM1 upregulation is an early event in human squamous cell carcinoma and it is enhanced by nicotine during malignant transformationEmilios Gemenetzidis
Centre for Clinical and Diagnostic Oral Sciences, Institute of Dentistry, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London, London, UK
PLoS ONE 4:e4849. 2009..The survival of patients is very poor due to the lack of effective early biomarkers. FOXM1 overexpression is linked to the majority of human cancers but its mechanism remains unclear in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (HNSCC)...
- Nicotine and fibronectin expression in lung fibroblasts: implications for tobacco-related lung tissue remodelingJesse Roman
Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary, Allergy and Critical Care Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Whitehead Biomedical Research Building, 615 Michael St, Suite 205 M, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
FASEB J 18:1436-8. 2004..We hypothesize that nicotine, a component of tobacco, stimulates the expression of fibronectin in lung fibroblasts via the activation of ..
- Meta-analysis of the acute effects of nicotine and smoking on human performanceStephen J Heishman
Nicotine Psychopharmacology Section, National Institute on Drug Abuse, NIH Intramural Research Program, 251 Bayview Blvd, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 210:453-69. 2010Empirical studies indicate that nicotine enhances some aspects of attention and cognition, suggesting a role in the maintenance of tobacco dependence...
- Effects of nicotine in the dopaminergic system of mice lacking the alpha4 subunit of neuronal nicotinic acetylcholine receptorsL M Marubio
Dept Biotechnologies, Institut Pasteur, 75724 Paris Cedex 15, France
Eur J Neurosci 17:1329-37. 2003..dopaminergic system influences locomotor activity and the reinforcing properties of many drugs of abuse including nicotine. Here we investigate the role of the alpha4 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR) subunit in mediating the ..
- Neurobiology of nicotine addiction: implications for smoking cessation treatmentNeal L Benowitz
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Medical Service, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center, San Francisco, California, USA
Am J Med 121:S3-10. 2008b>Nicotine sustains addictive tobacco use, which in turn causes much premature disability and death. The essence of drug addiction is loss of control of drug use...
- A digital smoking cessation program delivered through internet and cell phone without nicotine replacement (happy ending): randomized controlled trialHåvar Brendryen
Department of Psychology, Postboks 1094 Blindern, 0317 Oslo, Norway
J Med Internet Res 10:e51. 2008..HE includes a craving helpline and a relapse prevention system, providing just-in-time therapy. All the components of the program are fully automated...
- Effects of cocaine, nicotine, dizocipline and alcohol on mice locomotor activity: cocaine-alcohol cross-sensitization involves upregulation of striatal dopamine transporter binding sitesY Itzhak
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology R 629, University of Miami School of Medicine, P O Box 016129, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Brain Res 818:204-11. 1999We investigated if repeated administration of cocaine, nicotine, dizocipline (MK-801) and alcohol yields behavioral cross-sensitization between these agents...
- Chronic nicotine inhibits inflammation and promotes influenza infectionSeddigheh Razani-Boroujerdi
Lovelace Respiratory Research Institute, 2425 Ridgecrest Dr SE, Albuquerque, NM 87108, USA
Cell Immunol 230:1-9. 2004..Inflammation is critical in the body's defense against pathogens and in the wound-healing process. Although nicotine is used to treat some inflammatory conditions, the mechanism of this action is largely unknown...
- Mentholated cigarette smoking inhibits nicotine metabolismNeal L Benowitz
Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, University of California, San Francisco, Box 1220, San Francisco, CA 94143 1220, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 310:1208-15. 2004..increase risk are by increasing systemic exposure to tobacco smoke toxins and by affecting the metabolism of nicotine or tobacco smoke carcinogens...
- The Habenulo-Interpeduncular Pathway and NicotineChristie D Fowler; Fiscal Year: 20137. Project Summary/Abstract Nicotine contained in tobacco is considered to be the primary reinforcing component responsible for tobacco addiction in human smokers...
- Chronic nicotine and synaptic transmission in brainstem respiratory neuronsRALPH FRANK FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Importantly, recent studies document that the main respiratory phenotype in nicotine-exposed human neonates is a higher incidence of obstructive sleep apnea...
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-CCC-LeadCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given nicotine's addictive nature, the underserved socio-economic nature of the patient population, and the constant ..
- Tobacco Control Research Branch Scientific and Technical Services SupportKOURTNEY MARSHALL; Fiscal Year: 2009..indoor air policies, advertising and marketing restrictions, youth access restrictions and tobacco product and nicotine regulation; 5) Basic biological research to include biomarkers of tobacco exposure and tobacco-induced cellular ..
- Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Density and Veteran Cigarette SmokersArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013..usage of menthol cigarettes, studies of biological markers of smoking demonstrate that menthol itself inhibits nicotine metabolism, and that menthol cigarette smoking leads to elevated serum levels of nicotine and cotinine, and ..
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-DCCCynthia D Morris; Fiscal Year: 2013..Given nicotine's addictive nature, the underserved socio-economic nature of the patient population, and the constant ..
- KINETICS OF DRUG MACROMOLECULE COMPLEX FORMATIONPALMER WILLIAM TAYLOR; Fiscal Year: 2013..endeavors directed novel nicotinic receptor ligands for depression, schizophrenia, pain alleviation and nicotine addiction and AChE inhibitor antidotes...
- Modulation of cancer prevention by social stressHildegard M Schuller; Fiscal Year: 2010..addition, we have shown in mouse xenografts from PDAC and PAC that GABA reverses the cancer promoting effects of nicotine, which include a nicotinic receptor-induced systemic increase in noradrenaline and adrenaline...
- High Throughput Methods to Measure Disparities in Childhood Exposure to TobaccoSharon E Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2010..employs a multidisciplinary team with expertise in tobacco research (including the analytical methods to quantify nicotine metabolites), pediatric epidemiology, and health disparities research...
- Role of Id1 in NSCLC Progression and MetastasisSrikumar P Chellappan; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, many of these tobacco carcinogens as well as nicotine itself can promote cell proliferation and angiogenesis through the activation of nicotinic acetylcholine ..
- Resolving the role of nicotine-mediated phosphorylation on pancreatic fibrosisJoao A Paulo; Fiscal Year: 2013..Smoking is an independent risk factor for pancreatic disease. In addition, nicotine, the major toxic component of cigarette smoke is implicated in fibrosis in various cell types...
- Developing Immunotherapeutics for Methamphetamine AbuseTHOMAS RICHARD KOSTEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Vaccines against both nicotine and cocaine have been promising in both animal and human studies...
- Preclinical studies of a heroin/morphine vaccine for opiate addictionPaul R Pentel; Fiscal Year: 2013..Vaccines for nicotine and cocaine addictions are in clinical trials and preliminary data suggest efficacy...
- EFFECT OF DRUGS OF ABUSE ON NEURONAL REDOX AND METHYLATION STATUSRichard C Deth; Fiscal Year: 2012..studies show that EAAT3- mediated cysteine uptake is also sensitive to opiates and ethanol, as well as nicotine and cannabinoids, suggesting that it may serve as a nexus for the epigenetic effects of abused drugs...
- Multivalent Vaccine for Opiate AddictionPaul R Pentel; Fiscal Year: 2012..alter drug pharmacokinetics have shown substantial preclinical and preliminary clinical evidence of efficacy for nicotine and cocaine addiction, and several heroin vaccines have shown promise in animal models...
- Brain Nicotine Receptor Density &Response to Nicotine PatchArthur Brody; Fiscal Year: 2013..Current first-line medications for Tobacco Dependence include nicotine replacement therapies (such as the patch, gum, lozenge, nasal spray, and inhaler), varenicline HCl (Chantix), and ..
- Diesel, Allergens and Gene Interaction and Child AtopyGrace LeMasters; Fiscal Year: 2009..This revision also serves to create new research objectives to explore the associations of nicotine metabolism and oxidative stress genetics outside of the scope of the parent grant, and will be completed in less ..
- Development and Regulation of Cholinergic SynapsesAndres Villu Maricq; Fiscal Year: 2013..The various receptors exhibit differential sensitivity to drugs (such as the addictive drug nicotine), and the diversity of receptors contributes to neuronal function and drug dependence...
- Integrated PTSD and Smoking TreatmentMark B Powers; Fiscal Year: 2013..Features of PTSD that may contribute to smokers'progression to nicotine dependence and cessation relapse include negative affect, fear, increased arousal, irritability, anger, distress ..
- Developing Novel Dual CRF-R1/Orexin-1 Receptor Antagonists for Tobacco DependenceBelew Mekonnen; Fiscal Year: 2011..Although significant progress has been made towards the understanding and treatment of nicotine dependence, still approximately 21% of the adult population in the United States continues to smoke, and the ..
- FASEB SRC on Yeast Chromosome Structure, Replication and SegregationScott Keeney; Fiscal Year: 2012..Environmental agents - including manmade air- and water-borne pollutants, electromagnetic radiation, and nicotine and other natural products - can have profound effects on the replication, segregation, and repair of chromosomes...
- Integrated Treatment for Smoking Cessation &Anxiety in People with HIVMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the smoking cessation literature: a general lack of innovation in efficacious psychosocial treatments for nicotine dependence, particularly among persons living with HIV...
- Induction of Nerve Growth Factor by Nicotine Leads to Airway DysfunctionCHERRY P WONGTRAKOOL; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, nicotine, a lipophilic chemical that is the major addictive component of tobacco smoke, may play an important role ..
- microRNA analysis of neurons generated from patient-specific iPSCsHerbert M Lachman; Fiscal Year: 2013..SZ), there are numerous confounding factors that could affect data interpretation including co- morbid nicotine, alcohol and drug abuse, and chronic use of psychotropic medications...
- A+ Head Start Intervention for Smoke Free HomesCynthia S Rand; Fiscal Year: 2012..The primary study outcome measure will be household ETS levels, as measured by home air nicotine levels at six month follow-up...
- Neurobiological mechanisms of nicotine reinforcement: Role of the nucleus tractusLUIS MIGUEL TUESTA; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Neurobiological mechanisms of nicotine reinforcement: Role of the nucleus tractus solitarius (NTS) Cigarette smoking is a principal cause of preventable death and disease in developed nations, with ..
- Growth and Cardiometabolic Risk Among In Utero Drug Exposed ChildrenSARAH ELIZABETH MESSIAH; Fiscal Year: 2013..postnatal exposures of cocaine in a repeated measures multivariate analysis, controlling for effect modifiers (nicotine, alcohol and marijuana exposure, stress, anxiety and depression in children and mothers) on: (a) Overweight and ..
- Determinants of developing efferent synapses in the mammalian cochleaISABELLE CATHERINA ROUX; Fiscal Year: 2013..is based on our finding that in addition to the response mediated by a9/a10nAChRs, in developing mouse IHCs a nicotine-mediated response exists that is inhibited by a blocker specific for the a1 nAChR...
- Motivational Incentives to Reduce Secondhand Smoke in NICU Infants'HomesAngela L Stotts; Fiscal Year: 2013..Primary efficacy variables will include objective and valid measures of SHSe (infant cotinine, household air nicotine monitors, Timeline Followback for SHSe)...
- Nicotine Modulation of Parasympathetic Cardiac NeuronsDavid Mendelowitz; Fiscal Year: 2013..for SIDS is cigarette smoking and while tobacco smoke contains a number of deleterious agents in addition to nicotine, nicotine is of particular concern in relation to SIDS due to its ability to cross the placenta and concentrate ..
- Adolescent brains, nicotine and endogenous prototoxinsRae Nishi; Fiscal Year: 2010..Adolescents display a greater sensitivity to the addictive effects of nicotine, becoming dependent upon smoking more rapidly than adults...
- Effect of Baclofen on Alcohol Cue-Elicited Urges to Drink and SmokeGEORGE ANTHONY KENNA; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): There is a high co-morbidity between alcohol and nicotine dependence...
- Exercise Intervention for SmokingMichael J Zvolensky; Fiscal Year: 2012..in the smoking cessation literature: a general lack of innovation in efficacious psychosocial treatments for nicotine dependence...
- Effect of Smoking on Adult Stem Cell DifferentiationHerman S Cheung; Fiscal Year: 2013..Significant tissue hypoxia mainly attributed to carbon monoxide (CO) and nicotine. CO raises carboxyl- hemoglobin levels, whilst nicotine induces vasoconstriction, which further decreases tissue ..
- Biomarkers of NNK in prediction of lung cancer development in smokersJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..We will measure the concentrations of NNAL and NNAL-Glucs (NNK metabolites), total nicotine equivalents (i.e...
- Genetic Determinants of Drug EffectsTamara J Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2012DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Project Summary / Abstract Problematic alcohol and nicotine use may arise in response to stress and negative life events, but may also be influenced by genetic factors...
- CIGARETTE SMOKE IMPACTS FETAL LUNG DNA METHYLATION AND GENE EXPRESSIONKelan G Tantisira; Fiscal Year: 2012..Environmental exposures including nicotine have been demonstrated to cross the placental barrier and impact placental gene expression...
- The Biosynthesis of AnandamideDale G Deutsch; Fiscal Year: 2010..thermoregulation, sensory perception, cognitive functions, mood, and addictive behavior for opiates, alcohol and nicotine. PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Maintenance of the levels of anandamide, an endocannabinoid neurotransmitter, is ..
- Nicotinic receptor stimulation and epigenetic regulation of GABAergic function.Alessandro Guidotti; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this regard, nicotine receptor agonists are some of the most promising treatment options currently under investigation (Freedman et al, ..
- New Inactivators of GABA Aminotransferase for AddictionRichard B Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Increasing GABA levels blocks cocaine, nicotine, methamphetamine, alcohol, and heroin addiction in rats and cocaine addiction in humans without affecting the ..
- Targeting of alpha7 nAChR for therapeutic effectsRoger L Papke; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: There are many types of nicotine receptors in the brain, and only some of them are related to why people become addicted to nicotine...
- Development of a Next Generation Vaccine for Smoking Cessation and Relapse PrevenGrayson B Lipford; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): The goal of this project is to develop a superior anti-nicotine vaccine for smoking cessation...
- Waterpipe tobacco smoke: toxicant exposure and effectsTHOMAS EVAN EISSENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..Another smoke toxicant, nicotine, produces dependence with prolonged use...
- Novel lead molecule optimization targeting nicotinic receptor subtypesDENNIS BRIAN contact MCKAY; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition nicotine is one of the most heavily used addictive drugs in the United States...
- Hybrid atomic force-optical imaging system to investigate prenatal nicotineJeffrey Potts; Fiscal Year: 2009..receptors (nAchR) are targets for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine and exogenous cholinergic ligands such as nicotine from cigarette smoke...
- Developmental Genetic Epidemiology of SmokingHermine H Maes; Fiscal Year: 2013..The second set of hypotheses concerns the relationship between SI and SP/ nicotine dependence (ND)...
- Mechanisms of regulation of ethanol intake by lateral habenulaJiang Hong Ye; Fiscal Year: 2013..Much work has shown that the habenula plays a key role in nicotine addiction and withdrawal and in the regulation of morphine self-administration, as well as cocaine seeking ..
- INFIDELITY OF CYTOSINE METHYLATION AND HUMAN CANCERLawrence C Sowers; Fiscal Year: 2013..might facilitate the delivery of reactive molecules to the nucleus, and that some tertiary amines, including nicotine, might catalyze halogen transfer from the haloamines to cytosine...
- Models for?functional evaluation of?CHRN polymorphismsBeverly H Koller; Fiscal Year: 2012..The genetic contribution to addictions, including nicotine dependence, alcoholism and addiction to drugs such as cocaine, has been well established in studies of cohorts of ..
- Repurposing cholinesterase inhibitors for smoking cessationREBECCA ASHARE; Fiscal Year: 2013..research (POR), which focuses on the development and evaluation of more efficacious treatments for nicotine dependence, specifically treatments that reduce withdrawal-related cognitive deficits (referred to as pro-..
- Tobacco Products and Atherosclerotic DiseaseSanjay Srivastava; Fiscal Year: 2013..to atherogenesis, we will examine atherogenesis in mice exposed to individual constituents of exposure - nicotine, acrolein and crotonaldehyde, and determine how removal of these constituents affects atherosclerosis due to ..
- Improving the efficacy of anti-nicotine immunotherapyAlexey G Mukhin; Fiscal Year: 2010..provided by applicant): The long-term goal of this research project is to improve the efficacy of anti-nicotine vaccination/immunotherapy for smoking cessation...
- Effects on Caffeine on Adolescent Behavior and PhysiologyJennifer L Temple; Fiscal Year: 2010..In addition, caffeine usage increases sensitivity and potentiates addiction to cocaine, amphetamine, and nicotine. Because sugar is a known "natural reward" that activates similar neuronal pathways as drugs of abuse, we ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Post-Discharge Strategies for Hospitalized SmokersNancy A Rigotti; Fiscal Year: 2013..of a 3-month program with 2 components: (1) Free Medication: A 30- day supply of FDA-approved medication (nicotine replacement, bupropion, or varenicline) given at hospital discharge and refillable free for a total of 90 days to ..
- Designing an Integrated Nanoscale System for Ion Channel Structure-Function StudyRatneshwar Lal; Fiscal Year: 2013..examining role of defined gating agents and drug addiction-related perturbations, including smoking condensate, nicotine and ROS on the channel permeability, and 2b...
- Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine AddictionNancy K Mello; Fiscal Year: 2012This is a revised application entitled "Sex/Gender Factors in Nicotine Addiction" submitted in response to PA-07-329...
- Biomarkers of Exposure to and Health Effects from SHS in Outdoor Smoking AreasLuke P Naeher; Fiscal Year: 2011..Exposures will be characterized using real-time area PM2.5 and CO monitors, time-integrated passive area nicotine monitors, as well as biological markers, salivary cotinine and urinary NNAL...
- Development of a5* nAChR positive allosteric modulators for tobacco dependenceJON MARTIN LINDSTROM; Fiscal Year: 2013..classes of potent and selective a5* nAChR PAMs with favorable DMPK and brain penetration in the mouse intravenous nicotine self-administration procedure, using wildtype mice and mice with null mutations in a5 nAChR subunits...
- Enhancing cancer outreach for low-income adults with innovative smoking cessationDamon J Vidrine; Fiscal Year: 2013..The interventions will include a Standard Care (SC) approach, consisting of brief advice to quit smoking, nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), and self-help written materials;an Enhanced Care (EC) approach, consisting of the ..
- Role of Dopamine Transporter: HIV-1 Tat Protein and Nicotine SensitizationJun Zhu; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Nicotine (NIC), the primary reinforcing agent in tobacco, stimulates the mesolimbic dopamine (DA) system through ..
- VICTORY-Virtual Video Game Therapy for Substance Cessation and RecoveryB Eugene Parker; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nicotine addiction poses a serious public health problem in the United States. Cigarette smoking alone has been identified as the cause of numerous diseases, including cancers (e.g...
- Role of nAChR stoichiometry in nicotine-induced upregulationCHRISTOPHER I RICHARDS; Fiscal Year: 2012..provided by applicant): Upregulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (nAChRs) plays an integral role in nicotine addiction...
- Development of Pharmacotherapies for Nicotine AddictionFrank Carroll; Fiscal Year: 2009..Other than nicotine replacement therapy (NRT), bupropion is the only FDA-approved treatment for smoking cessation...
- Developing Medications for Nicotine CessationSelena E Bartlett; Fiscal Year: 2011..It is essential that an innovative approach is taken to develop more effective medications for the treatment of nicotine cessation...
- Neuropharmacology of Cue-Induced Nicotine RelapseXiu Liu; Fiscal Year: 2009..Recurrent resumption of tobacco use after abstinence is one of the principal characteristics of nicotine addiction. Only approximately 3% of smokers successfully remain abstinent each year...
- Variants in nicotine receptors and pharmacogeneticsXiangning Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..and data from epidemiological studies have suggested that genetic factors play an important role in smoking and nicotine addiction...
- Predictive Smoking Cessation Preclinical BatteryDaniela Brunner; Fiscal Year: 2012..and effective dissemination and use of the results of the proposed research to significantly improve treatment of nicotine abuse and addiction...
- N-Acetyl Cysteine plus Behavioral Therapy for Nicotine Dependent Pathological GamJon E Grant; Fiscal Year: 2010..Among US adults, 12.8% report nicotine dependence, and nicotine dependence is highly associated with a variety of DSM-IV Axis I and II disorders...
- SEX DIFFERENCES IN NICOTINE REINFORCEMENT: HUMAN/ANIMALKenneth Perkins; Fiscal Year: 2003..Abstract) Men and women may differ in factors that reinforce smoking behavior: self-administration of nicotine per se is often less robust in women, women are less sensitive to many effects of nicotine, and nicotine ..
- Chronic Nicotine's Activation of the HPA AxisTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005Many smokers use cigarettes as a means to combat stress. Removal of nicotine, without addressing the underlying physiological changes associated with nicotine use, results in an unbalanced system that compels a return to smoking to ..
- PHARMACOKINETICS AND PHARMACODYNAMICS OF NICOTINENeal Benowitz; Fiscal Year: 2002..chemistry and clinical investigation, focusing on the metabolism, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of nicotine. Chemistry studies will include (a) developing methodology for quantitative analysis of tobacco alkaloids and ..
- Individual differences in relapse to nicotineCeylan Isgor; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Adolescence marks a critical period for the onset of nicotine dependence in humans...
- In vivo and in vitro tools to target CHRNA5 for smoking cessation.Andreas Walz; Fiscal Year: 2011DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nicotine is one of the most heavily used addictive drugs and accounts for 90% of lung cancer cases in the U.S...
- Attentional Bias & Affect in Stress-Vulnerable SmokersDavid Gilbert; Fiscal Year: 2007..suggests that stress-prone individuals focus their attention on cues associated with potential stressors and that nicotine may alter attentional processes in such a manner as to reduce subjective stress (negative affect)...
- Bitter taste phenotype as a risk factor of oral nicotine replacement nonadherenceKaren L Ahijevych; Fiscal Year: 2010Bitter taste phenotype as a risk factor of oral nicotine replacement nonadherence The broad objective of this exploratory experiment is to generate data on the interaction of bitter taste phenotype and use of oral nicotine replacement ..
- Nicotine Addiction: ACh Receptors and SecretionAaron Fox; Fiscal Year: 2002The addiction to nicotine results in a significantly shortened life span in millions of people and in billions of health care dollars spent every year in tobacco related illnesses...
- Neurobiology of Nicotine: Hormones and BehaviorNANCY MELLO; Fiscal Year: 2007..This is a revision of a new application in response to PA-00-045 Neurobiological and Behavioral Research on Nicotine and Tobacco Components...
- HPA Axis Activation and Nicotine UseTheodore Friedman; Fiscal Year: 2005Many smokers use cigarettes as a means to combat stress. Removal of nicotine without addressing the underlying physiological changes associated with nicotine use results in an unbalanced system that compels a return to smoking to ..
- FUNCTIONAL ACTIVITY OF MESOLIMBIC NICOTINIC RECEPTORSPETER ROWELL; Fiscal Year: 2001Cigarette smoking is a major public health problem in the United States, and nicotine is the principal pharmacological component of tobacco which reinforces smoking behavior...
- Fetal Nicotine Exposure and Chemosensory PlasticitySteven L Youngentob; Fiscal Year: 2010DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Clinical studies point to a causal relationship between fetal nicotine exposure via maternal smoking and the risk for becoming a smoker...
- Novel Genes Involved in Drug ResponseRuthann Nichols; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION: (provided by the applicant) Nicotine is the most addictive drug abused worldwide. On average over 430,000 Americans die each year from nicotine-related illnesses...
- A Peptide-Based Vaccine to NicotineSam Sanderson; Fiscal Year: 2004The primary objective of this Phase I STTR project is to develop an effective, peptide-based nicotine vaccine for use in humans capable of inducing a robust, nicotine-specific antibody (Ab) response with little or no inflammatory side ..
- Nicotine, Neurotrophins and DepressionYousef Tizabi; Fiscal Year: 2009..among depressed individuals, it has been postulated that smoking may reflect an attempt at self-medication with nicotine by these individuals. However, other studies suggest that smoking may precede depression...