Summary: Alkaloids originally isolated from the ergot fungus Claviceps purpurea (Hypocreaceae). They include compounds that are structurally related to ergoline (ERGOLINES) and ergotamine (ERGOTAMINES). Many of the ergot alkaloids act as alpha-adrenergic antagonists.
Publications217 found, 100 shown here
- Identification of the cytochrome P450 monooxygenase that bridges the clavine and ergoline alkaloid pathwaysThomas Haarmann
Institut fur Botanik, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat Munster, Schlossgarten 3, 48149 Munster, Germany
Chembiochem 7:645-52. 2006..These data show that CLOA catalyses the conversion of clavines to D-lysergic acid, it acts as a critical enzyme in the ergot alkaloid gene cluster, and bridges the biosynthesis of the two different families of alkaloids...
- Post-genome research on the biosynthesis of ergot alkaloidsShu Ming Li
Pharmazeutische Biologie, Pharmazeutisches Institut, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Tubingen, Germany
Planta Med 72:1117-20. 2006..Seven of them are orthologous to genes from the biosynthetic gene cluster of ergot alkaloids in CLAVICEPS PURPUREA...
- Ergot alkaloids in Norwegian wild grasses: a mass spectrometric approachSilvio Uhlig
National Veterinary Institute, P O Box 8156 Dep, 0033 Oslo, Norway
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 21:1651-60. 2007b>Ergot alkaloids are mycotoxins which are produced among fungi in the family Clavicipitaceae. Poisoning with ergot alkaloids is an important veterinary problem in animal husbandry and has recently also been recognised in wild animals...
- Influence of endophyte consumption and heat stress on intravaginal temperatures, plasma lipid oxidation, blood selenium, and glutathione redox of mononuclear cells in heifers grazing tall fescueN C Burke
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
J Anim Sci 85:2932-40. 2007..Date effects indicating altered glutathione redox and enzyme activity may have been related to heat stress and nutritional limitations...
- An old yellow enzyme gene controls the branch point between Aspergillus fumigatus and Claviceps purpurea ergot alkaloid pathwaysChristine M Coyle
West Virginia University, Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, Genetics and Developmental Biology Program, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 6108, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:3898-903. 2010..fungi in the genus Claviceps and several related fungal groups in the family Clavicipitaceae produce toxic ergot alkaloids. These fungi produce a variety of ergot alkaloids, including clavines as well as lysergic acid derivatives...
- The determinant step in ergot alkaloid biosynthesis by an endophyte of perennial ryegrassJinghong Wang
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546 0312, USA
Fungal Genet Biol 41:189-98. 2004..Thus, the biosynthetic role of DMAT synthase was confirmed, and a mutant was generated for future studies of the ecological and agricultural importance of ergot alkaloids in endophytes of grasses.
- Biotechnology and genetics of ergot alkaloidsP Tudzynski
Institut fur Botanik, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Munster, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 57:593-605. 2001b>Ergot alkaloids, i.e. ergoline-derived toxic metabolites, are produced by a wide range of fungi, predominantly by members of the grass-parasitizing family of the Clavicipitaceae...
- The Claviceps purpurea gene encoding dimethylallyltryptophan synthase, the committed step for ergot alkaloid biosynthesisH F Tsai
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40546 0091, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 216:119-25. 1995..The sequence of dmaW and its cDNA indicated that it encoded a 455 amino acid polypeptide with a predicted molecular mass of 51,824 Da and a putative prenyl diphosphate binding motif...
- Toxicity of endophyte-infected tall fescue alkaloids and grass metabolites on Pratylenchus scribneriA A Bacetty
United States Department of Agriculture Agricultural Reserach Services USDA ARS, Toxicology and Mycotoxin Research Unit, Richard Russell Center, Athens, GA, USA
Phytopathology 99:1336-45. 2009..Tests of several ergot alkaloids revealed that ergovaline and alpha-ergocryptine were nematicidal at 5 and 50 microg/ml, respectively, while ..
- The ergot alkaloid gene cluster: functional analyses and evolutionary aspectsNicole Lorenz
Westf Wilhelms Universität, Institut fur Botanik, Munster, Germany
Phytochemistry 70:1822-32. 2009b>Ergot alkaloids and their derivatives have been traditionally used as therapeutic agents in migraine, blood pressure regulation and help in childbirth and abortion...
- Ergot alkaloids--biology and molecular biologyChristopher L Schardl
Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40546 0312, USA
Alkaloids Chem Biol 63:45-86. 2006..Also, programs are well underway to modify or replace epichloë endophytes of forage grasses in order to produce new grass cultivars that lack these toxins...
- Effects of ergot alkaloids on food preference and satiety in rabbits, as assessed with gene-knockout endophytes in perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne)Daniel G Panaccione
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, P O Box 6108, Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, and Department of Statistics, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia, 26506, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:4582-7. 2006..endophytes best known for their protection of grass hosts and production of bioactive metabolites including ergot alkaloids. Perennial ryegrass-Neotyphodium sp...
- An autopsy case of postpartum acute myocardial infarction associated with postpartum ergot alkaloids administration in old-aged pregnant womenMinseob Eom
Department of Forensic Medicine, Chonbuk National University College of Medicine, 2 20 San, Keumam Dong, Dukjin Gu, Jeonju, Chonbuk 561 180, Korea
Yonsei Med J 46:866-9. 2005..The autopsy revealed AMI with severe coronary atherosclerosis. This is the first case that reports aggravation of pre-existent severe coronary atherosclerosis after postpartum infusion of ergot derivatives...
- Ergot alkaloids. Current status and review of clinical pharmacology and therapeutic use compared with other oxytocics in obstetrics and gynaecologyA N de Groot
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Nijmegen St Radboud, The Netherlands
Drugs 56:523-35. 1998b>Ergot alkaloids are well known preparations. Ergot alkaloids used in obstetrics and gynaecology are ergometrine (ergonovine; EM), methylergometrine (methergine; ME) and bromocriptine. The pharmaceutical properties of ME EM) are critical...
- Parasitic fungus Claviceps as a source for biotechnological production of ergot alkaloidsHelena Hulvová
Department of Molecular Biology, Centre of the Region Haná for Biotechnological and Agricultural Research, Palacky University, Slechtitelu 11, 783 71 Olomouc, Czech Republic
Biotechnol Adv 31:79-89. 2013b>Ergot alkaloids produced by the fungus Claviceps parasitizing on cereals, include three major groups: clavine alkaloids, d-lysergic acid and its derivatives and ergopeptines...
- Fumigaclavine C inhibits tumor necrosis factor α production via suppression of toll-like receptor 4 and nuclear factor κB activation in macrophagesRong Hui Du
School of Medicine, State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, PR China
Life Sci 89:235-40. 2011..In the current study, we investigated the anti-inflammatory action of the fungal alkaloid fumigaclavine C (FC), its effects on the TLR4 and NFκB signaling pathway, and its potential relevance as an anti-atherosclerotic agent...
- Vaccination against ergot alkaloids and the effect of endophyte-infected fescue seed-based diets on rabbitsN M Filipov
College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
J Anim Sci 76:2456-63. 1998..In Exp. 1, rabbits (n = 6/treatment) fed E+ fescue seed diets (20%, 340 ppb total ergot alkaloids) had reduced (P < ...
- Simultaneous determination of six major ergot alkaloids and their epimers in cereals and foodstuffs by LC-MS-MSRudolf Krska
Christian Doppler Laboratory for Mycotoxin Research, Department for Agrobiotechnology IFA Tulln, University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences Vienna, Konrad Lorenz Strasse 20, 3430, Tulln, Austria
Anal Bioanal Chem 391:563-76. 2008This paper describes a new and rapid method for accurate quantification of the six ergot alkaloids, ergometrine, ergotamine, ergosine, ergocristine, ergocryptine, and ergocornine, by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC-MS-..
- Fumigaclavine C improves concanavalin A-induced liver injury in mice mainly via inhibiting TNF-alpha production and lymphocyte adhesion to extracellular matricesYing Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Nanjing University, Nanjing 210093, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 56:775-82. 2004....
- Indole-diterpenes and ergot alkaloids in Cynodon dactylon (Bermuda grass) infected with Claviceps cynodontis from an outbreak of tremors in cattleSilvio Uhlig
National Veterinary Institute, Oslo, Norway
J Agric Food Chem 57:11112-9. 2009..However, the C. paspali sclerotia contained in addition agroclavine and elymoclavine. This is the first study linking tremors associated with grazing of Bermuda grass to specific tremorgenic indole-diterpenoid mycotoxins...
- Ergot alkaloid biosynthesis in Aspergillus fumigatus. Overproduction and biochemical characterization of a 4-dimethylallyltryptophan N-methyltransferaseOle Rigbers
Heinrich Heine Universitat Dusseldorf, Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie und Biotechnologie, Universitatsstrasse 1, D 40225 Dusseldorf, Germany
J Biol Chem 283:26859-68. 2008..Therefore, FgaMT represents the second pathway-specific enzyme in the biosynthesis of ergot alkaloids. The enzyme did not require metal ions for its enzymatic reaction and showed a relatively high specificity ..
- Electrospray[+] tandem quadrupole mass spectrometry in the elucidation of ergot alkaloids chromatographed by HPLC: screening of grass or forage samples for novel toxic compoundsAndreas F Lehner
University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture, Livestock Disease Diagnostic Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40512 4125, USA
J Mass Spectrom 40:1484-502. 2005b>Ergot alkaloids are mycotoxins generated by grass and grain pathogens such as Claviceps, for example...
- An ergot alkaloid biosynthesis gene and clustered hypothetical genes from Aspergillus fumigatusChristine M Coyle
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, Genetics and Developmental Biology Program, 401 Brooks Hall, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 6058, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:3112-8. 2005The ergot alkaloids are a family of indole-derived mycotoxins with a variety of significant biological activities...
- The influence of ergot-contaminated feed on growth and slaughtering performance, nutrient digestibility and carry over of ergot alkaloids in growing-finishing pigsSimone Mainka
Institute of Animal Nutrition, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
Arch Anim Nutr 59:377-95. 2005..to study the effect of ergot-contaminated feed on growth and slaughtering performance and the carry over of ergot alkaloids. Additionally, balance trials were conducted to investigate the digestibility of nutrients...
- Ergot alkaloids: structure diversity, biosynthetic gene clusters and functional proof of biosynthetic genesChristiane Wallwey
Philipps Universitat Marburg, Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie und Biotechnologie, D 35037, Marburg, Germany
Nat Prod Rep 28:496-510. 2011b>Ergot alkaloids are toxins and important pharmaceuticals which are produced biotechnologically on an industrial scale. They have been identiﬁed in two orders of fungi and three families of higher plants...
- [Chemical and toxicologic studies of native corn in flour and bread]J Wolff
Bundesforschungsanstalt für Getreide und Kartoffelverarbeitung, Detmold
Z Ernahrungswiss 27:1-22. 1988..data; these results were in a good agreement with the total alkaloid content calculated from 13 individual ergot alkaloids. The changes in the alkaloid spectrum caused by pelletin are shown...
- Comparison of ergot alkaloid biosynthesis gene clusters in Claviceps species indicates loss of late pathway steps in evolution of C. fusiformisNicole Lorenz
Institut fur Botanik, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Schlossgarten 3, 48149 Munster, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 73:7185-91. 2007The grass parasites Claviceps purpurea and Claviceps fusiformis produce ergot alkaloids (EA) in planta and in submerged culture. Whereas EA synthesis (EAS) in C...
- Ergot cluster-encoded catalase is required for synthesis of chanoclavine-I in Aspergillus fumigatusKerry E Goetz
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, Genetics and Developmental Biology Program, Morgantown, WV 26506, USA
Curr Genet 57:201-11. 2011..The resulting mutant (ΔeasC) failed to produce the ergot alkaloids typically observed in A. fumigatus, including chanoclavine-I, festuclavine, and fumigaclavines B, A, and C...
- Modulation of cytochrome P450 metabolism by ergonovine and dihydroergotamineA S Moubarak
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR 72701, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 45:6-9. 2003..Both ergonovine and dihydroergotamine treatments inhibited in vitro CYP3A4 activity in a dose dependent manner producing quadratic inhibition curves...
- Effect of ergot alkaloids associated with fescue toxicosis on hepatic cytochrome P450 and antioxidant proteinsRaja S Settivari
Division of Animal Science, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 227:347-56. 2008Intake of ergot alkaloids found in endophyte-infected tall fescue grass is associated with decreased feed intake and reduction in body weight gain...
- Effects of different levels of ergot in concentrates on the growing and slaughtering performance of bulls and on carry-over into edible tissueBarbara Schumann
Institute of Animal Nutrition, Federal Agriculture Research Centre FAL, Braunschweig, Germany
Arch Anim Nutr 61:357-70. 2007The aim of the present study was to examine long-term effects of low levels of ergot alkaloids on growing bulls...
- Cytotoxicity and accumulation of ergot alkaloids in human primary cellsDennis Mulac
NRW Graduate School of Chemistry Universität Münster, Wilhelm Klemm Strasse 10, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Toxicology 282:112-21. 2011b>Ergot alkaloids are secondary metabolites produced by fungi of the species Claviceps. Toxic effects after consumption of contaminated grains are described since mediaeval times...
- Overproduction, purification and characterization of FgaPT2, a dimethylallyltryptophan synthase from Aspergillus fumigatusInge A Unsöld
Pharmazeutische Biologie, Pharmazeutisches Institut, Eberhard Karls Universitat Tubingen, Auf der Morgenstelle 8, 72076 Tubingen, Germany
Microbiology 151:1499-505. 2005..FgaPT2 is the first enzyme in the biosynthesis of ergot alkaloids to be purified and characterized in homogeneous form after heterologous overproduction.
- Medication overuse headache: a focus on analgesics, ergot alkaloids and triptansZ Katsarava
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Essen, Germany
Drug Saf 24:921-7. 2001..7 years), longer for ergot alkaloids (mean 2.7 years) and longest for analgesics (mean 4.9 years)...
- Abundant respirable ergot alkaloids from the common airborne fungus Aspergillus fumigatusDaniel G Panaccione
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, Genetics and Developmental Biology Program, 401 Brooks Hall, West Virginia University, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 6058, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:3106-11. 2005b>Ergot alkaloids are mycotoxins that interact with several monoamine receptors, negatively affecting cardiovascular, nervous, reproductive, and immune systems of exposed humans and animals...
- Association of ergot alkaloids with conidiation in Aspergillus fumigatusChristine M Coyle
Division of Plant and Soil Sciences, West Virginia University, P O Box 6108, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506 6108, USA
Mycologia 99:804-11. 2007b>Ergot alkaloids are mycotoxins that affect the nervous and reproductive systems of exposed individuals through interactions with monoamine receptors...
- History of ergot alkaloids from ergotism to ergometrineP W van Dongen
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University Hospital Nijmegen, St Radboud, The Netherlands
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 60:109-16. 1995..Therefore, after 1828 the ergot alkaloids were no longer used during delivery but only as a measure to prevent postpartum haemorrhage...
- Better biosynthesis of ergot alkaloidsG B Okide
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of Nigeria, Nsukka Nigeria
Boll Chim Farm 142:187-90. 2003..The medium that contained a mixture of glucose, glycine and tryptophan showed highest yield of the alkaloids and reached the maximum period for production of agroclavine faster...
- Norleucine, a natural occurrence in a novel ergot alkaloid gamma-ergokryptinineL Cvak
IVAX Pharmaceuticals, R and D, Opava Komárov, Czech Republic
Amino Acids 29:145-50. 2005..The conformations of three ergopeptinines: gamma-ergokryptinine, ergoladinine, and alpha-ergokryptinine were compared...
- The ergot alkaloid gene cluster in Claviceps purpurea: extension of the cluster sequence and intra species evolutionThomas Haarmann
Institut fur Botanik, Westf Wilhelms Universität Münster, Schlossgarten 3, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Phytochemistry 66:1312-20. 2005..purpurea is determined by evolution of NRPS module specificity...
- Effect of endophyte type on carcass traits, meat quality, and fatty acid composition of beef cattle grazing tall fescueC E Realini
Animal and Dairy Science Department, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
J Anim Sci 83:430-9. 2005..Alkaloid concentration was greater (P < 0.05) in s.c. fat from E+ than AR542 (2.81 vs. 0.92 ppb; fresh-tissue basis). This is the first published report demonstrating the presence of alkaloids in beef tissues...
- [Optimization of conditions for storage and cultivation of the fungus Claviceps sp.--a producer of the ergot alkaloid agroclavine]L V Boĭchenko
Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Oblast, 142290 Russia
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 39:335-40. 2003..Agroclavine was the major component of the alkaloid fraction (90-95%). Storage of the culture at -70 degrees C in T25 supplemented by 7% glycerol provided a stable level of alkaloid formation...
- Severe multivalvular heart disease: a new complication of the ergot derivative dopamine agonistsJudit Horvath
Department of Neurology, University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
Mov Disord 19:656-62. 2004..Therefore, until more is known about the true prevalence of this side effect, we propose that an assessment of cardiac function be performed before and in the course of a long-term therapy with ergot derivative dopamine agonists...
- Use of nonergot alkaloid-producing endophytes for alleviating tall fescue toxicosis in sheepJ A Parish
Department of Animal and Dairy Science, The University of Georgia, Athens 30602 7385, USA
J Anim Sci 81:1316-22. 2003....
- Endocrine alterations associated with ergopeptine alkaloid exposure during equine pregnancyTim J Evans
Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Missouri at Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Vet Clin North Am Equine Pract 18:371-8, viii. 2002..An understanding of the endocrine alterations associated with ergopeptine alkaloid exposure during pregnancy is necessary for the diagnosis of potential exposure to these compounds and for eective prophylaxis and therapy...
- Intake, digestion, and N metabolism in steers fed endophyte-free, ergot alkaloid-producing endophyte-infected, or nonergot alkaloid-producing endophyte-infected fescue hayA K Matthews
Department of Animal Science, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, 27695 7621, USA
J Anim Sci 83:1179-85. 2005..Hay from NE and E- fescue had nearly identical composition, and did not differ for any variable measured...
- Effects of short-term early gestational exposure to endophyte-infected tall fescue diets on plasma 3,4-dihydroxyphenyl acetic acid and fetal development in maresR C Youngblood
Department of Animal and Dairy Sciences, Mississippi State University, Mississippi State 39762, USA
J Anim Sci 82:2919-29. 2004....
- Novel endophyte-infected tall fescue for growing beef cattleS A Gunter
Southwest Research and Extension Center, Department of Animal Science, University of Arkansas, Hope 71801 9729, USA
J Anim Sci 82:E75-82. 2004..Recently, the discovery of new endophytes that do not produce ergot alkaloids has resulted in the development of novel-endophyte-infected (NE+), stress-tolerant tall fescue plants...
- Fragmentation patterns of selected ergot alkaloids by electrospray ionization tandem quadrupole mass spectrometryAndreas F Lehner
University of Kentucky, Department of Veterinary Science, Maxwell H Gluck Equine Research Center, Lexington, Kentucky 40546, USA
J Mass Spectrom 39:1275-86. 2004Tall fescue toxicosis and other maladies in livestock result from the ingestion of vasoconstrictive ergot alkaloids produced by fungal endophytes associated symbiotically with the grass...
- Switching from ergot to nonergot dopamine agonists in Parkinson's disease: a clinical series and five-drug dose conversion tableKatherine Grosset
Institute of Neurological Sciences, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow, United Kingdom
Mov Disord 19:1370-4. 2004..There were adverse events in 26%. After 11 months, 82% were on their switch agonist and 93% were on any agonist. Switching dopamine agonists is feasible in this population...
- Molecular cloning and analysis of the ergopeptine assembly system in the ergot fungus Claviceps purpureaTelmo Correia
Institut fur Botanik, Westfalische Wilhelms Universitat, Schlossgarten 3, D 48149 Munster, Germany
Chem Biol 10:1281-92. 2003..The presence of two distinct NRPS subunits catalyzing formation of ergot peptides is the first example of a fungal NRPS system consisting of different NRPS subunits...
- Presumptive gangrenous ergotism in free-living moose and a roe deerKjell Handeland
Department of Animal Health, Section of Wildlife Diseases, National Veterinary Institute, PO Box 8156 Dep, NO 0033 Oslo, Norway
J Wildl Dis 41:636-42. 2005..A retrospective diagnosis of ergotism (June 1981) was made in a 1-yr-old roe deer from northwestern Norway showing loss of the distal part of all four limbs...
- [Isolation of the ergot (Claviceps purpurea (Fr.) Tul., strain VKM-F-366D), producing the lactamic alkaloid ergocornam]E L Komarova
Institute of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants, Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences, ul Grina 7, Moscow, 113216 Russia
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 38:658-63. 2002..The structure of these alkaloids was determined by 1H and 13C NMR...
- An analysis associating the presence of Claviceps purpurea in grassland with the incidence of type 1 diabetesG Bannister
Med Hypotheses 60:557-9. 2003..of Claviceps purpurea is then described before theoretical information is drawn upon which indicates that ergot alkaloids can inactivate alpha adrenergic receptors for noradrenaline released from sympathetic nerve terminals...
- Mycotoxins in cattle feeds and carry-over to dairy milk: a reviewJohanna Fink-Gremmels
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Division of Veterinary Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 25:172-80. 2008..The rate of absorption determines not only the internal dose and risk for adverse health effects, but also the excretion of mycotoxins and the biologically active metabolites into milk...
- Progress and prospects of ergot alkaloid researchJ Mukherjee
Institut fur Technische Chemie, Universitat Hannover, Germany
Adv Biochem Eng Biotechnol 68:1-20. 2000b>Ergot alkaloids, produced by the plant parasitic fungi Claviceps purpurea are important pharmaceuticals...
- Endophyte infection level of tall fescue stockpiled for winter grazing does not alter the gain of calves nursing lactating beef cowsL E Curtis
Division of Plant Sciences, University of Missouri, Columbia 65211, USA
J Anim Sci 85:2346-53. 2007..44 +/- 0.04 kg during phase 2. Our data suggest that fall-calving herds can utilize highly-infected tall fescue when stockpiled for winter grazing, with little impact on cow performance and no impact on calf gain...
- Symptomatology and morphology of Claviceps cyperi on yellow nut sedge in South AfricaElna J van der Linde
Biosystematics Division, Plant Protection Research Institute, Private Bag X134, Queenswood 0121, South Africa
Mycologia 99:586-91. 2007..Although dimensions of sclerotia, stipes, capitula, asci and ascospores were larger than in the original description, the general morphology supports treatment of C. cyperi as a distinct species...
- Effects of fescue type and sampling date on the ruminal disappearance kinetics of autumn-stockpiled tall fescueR Flores
Department of Animal Science, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 72701, USA
J Dairy Sci 90:2883-96. 2007..plant/endophyte association containing a novel endophyte (HM4) that produces low or nil concentrations of ergot alkaloids, and the other a typical association of Kentucky 31 tall fescue and the wild-type endophyte (Neotyphodium ..
- [Use of polymerase chain reaction for searching for producers of ergot alkaloids from among microscopic fungi]L V Boĭchenko
Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, Pushchino, Moscow Oblast, 142292 Russia
Mikrobiologiia 70:360-4. 2001..gene encoding 4-dimethylallyltryptophan synthase, the enzyme catalyzing the first step in the biosynthesis of ergot alkaloids, was amplified using degenerated primers. This approach revealed an about 1...
- Meta-analysis of heart valve abnormalities in Parkinson's disease patients treated with dopamine agonistsGregor Simonis
Department of Medicine Cardiology, Heart Center, University of Technology, Dresden, Germany
Mov Disord 22:1936-42. 2007..The high rate of moderate valvular changes in patients treated with Ergot-DA suggests that close surveillance of the patients is required. Severe valvulopathy was less than 1% in the studies analyzed...
- [Selection of ergot alkaloid producers by induced mutagenesis]I G Vepritskaia
Skryabin Institute of Biochemistry and Physiology of Microorganisms, Russian Academy of Sciences, pr Nauki 5, Pushchino, Moscow Oblast, 142290 Russia
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 38:35-9. 2002..The largest amount of agroclavine was synthesized by c106 strain growing on a medium with maltose...
- Ergot alkaloids produced by submerged cultures of Claviceps zizaniaeMichaela Kantorová
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Sciences, Charles University, Hlavova 2030, Prague 2, 12840, Czech Republic
J Nat Prod 65:1039-40. 2002..These results are of considerable biotechnological interest since these were the only detectable alkaloids produced. Toxicity of naturally occurring sclerotia of C. zizaniae cannot be excluded...
- Toxins of filamentous fungiDeepak Bhatnagar
US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service, Southern Regional Research Center, New Orleans, LA, USA
Chem Immunol 81:167-206. 2002..But multiple approaches will be needed to minimize the economic impact of the toxins on the entire agriculture industry and their harmfulness to human and animal health...
- Technical note: epimerization of ergopeptine alkaloids in organic and aqueous solventsD J Smith
USDA ARS, Biosciences Research Laboratory, Fargo, ND 58105 5674, USA
J Anim Sci 80:1616-22. 2002....
- Expression profiling of heat stress effects on mice fed ergot alkaloidsSachin Bhusari
Division of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, MO 65211, USA
Toxicol Sci 95:89-97. 2007Fescue toxicosis affects wild and domestic animals consuming ergot alkaloids contained in tall fescue forage infected with the endophytic fungus, Neotyphodium coenophialum...
- Heart valve disease associated with treatment with ergot-derived dopamine agonists: a clinical and echocardiographic study of patients with Parkinson's diseaseV G Rasmussen
Department of Cardiology, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus, Denmark
J Intern Med 263:90-8. 2008....
- Dopamine receptor agonists for treating prolactinomasAnnamaria Colao
Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, Federico II University of Naples, Via S Pansini 5, 80131 Naples, Italy
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 11:787-800. 2002..The great efficacy of this compound together with its excellent tolerability makes this drug the current treatment of choice for the majority of patients with hyperprolactinaemic disorders...
- A comparative study of topical natural ergot alkaloids on the intraocular pressure and aqueous humor dynamics in oclular normotensive and alpha-chymotrypsin-induced ocular hypertensive rabbitsGustavo Puras
Department of Pharmacology, Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas, Tamaulipas, Mexico
Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 245:1559-67. 2007..Having previously reported that topical natural ergot alkaloids ergocristine alpha-ergocryptine and ergocornine dose-dependently reduce intraocular pressure in ocular ..
- A novel ergot alkaloid as a 5-HT(1A) inhibitor produced by Dicyma spMaria J Vazquez
Assay Development and Compound Profiling, GlaxoSmithKline R and D, Madrid, Spain
J Med Chem 46:5117-20. 2003..This compound has a pK(i) of 10.2 versus the 5-hydroxytryptamine(1A) receptor subtype. The structure was elucidated by extensive NMR spectroscopy and mass spectrometry...
- seco-C/D ring analogues of ergot alkaloids. Synthesis via intramolecular Heck and ring-closing metathesis reactionsAlexey V Kalinin
Department of Chemistry, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
Org Lett 5:3519-21. 2003..Heck and ring-closing metathesis reactions on key intermediates 10 and 15, respectively, provide efficient entries into seco-C/D ring analogues of Ergot alkaloids 12 and 16, compounds of potential synthetic and biological interest.
- The ability of a yeast-derived cell wall preparation to minimize the toxic effects of high-ergot alkaloid tall fescue straw in beef cattleM L Merrill
Eastern Oregon Agricultural Research Center, Oregon State University, Burns 97720, USA
J Anim Sci 85:2596-605. 2007..04). The YCW seemed to alleviate the prolactin depression normally associated with fescue toxicosis and therefore has the potential to be used successfully with other management practices when feeding or grazing high-alkaloid tall fescue...
- Use of a rat model to evaluate tall fescue seed infected with introduced strains of Neotyphodium coenophialumC A Roberts
University of Missouri, Columbia 65211, USA
J Agric Food Chem 50:5742-5. 2002..with unique strains of the fungal endophyte Neotyphodium coenophialum, which produce low concentrations of ergot alkaloids. A rat model was evaluated as a tool for rapid, initial screening of experimental cultivars considered to be ..
- Impact of mycotoxins on human health in developing countriesG S Shephard
PROMEC Unit, Medical Research Council, Tygerberg 7505, South Africa
Food Addit Contam Part A Chem Anal Control Expo Risk Assess 25:146-51. 2008..Thus, food safety remains an important opportunity for addressing current health problems in developing countries...
- Some major mycotoxins and their mycotoxicoses--an overviewJohn L Richard
Romer Labs, Inc, 34423 N Wilderness Trail, Cave Creek, AZ 85331, USA
Int J Food Microbiol 119:3-10. 2007..group would be the aflatoxins, deoxynivalenol, fumonisins, zearalenone, T-2 toxin, ochratoxin and certain ergot alkaloids. The diseases (mycotoxicoses) caused by these mycotoxins are quite varied and involve a wide range of ..
- Mycotoxins in infant cereal foods from the Canadian retail marketG A Lombaert
Health Products and Food Branch, Health Canada, Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Food Addit Contam 20:494-504. 2003..deoxynivalenol, nivalenol, HT-2 toxin, zearalenone, ochratoxin A, fumonisins B(1) and B(2), and five ergot alkaloids)...
- Ergot alkaloids in cereal products: results from the Bavarian Health and Food Safety AuthorityGisela Bürk
Bayerisches Landesamt für Gesundheit und Lebensmittelsicherheit, Rückstandsanalytik, Zentrallabor Chemie, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Mol Nutr Food Res 50:437-42. 2006The danger of ergot alkaloids has been well known for centuries. The origin and toxicology of these compounds have been clarified and flour mills assure us that they have mastered the problem technologically...
- Modulation of contractions to ergonovine and methylergonovine by nitric oxide and thromboxane A2 in the human coronary arteryW Auch-Schwelk
Department of Internal Medicine Cardiology and Cardiac Surgery, German Heart Institute Berlin
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 36:631-9. 2000..To elucidate the different role of nitric oxide synthase in the response to the ergot alkaloids, the serotonin (5-HT) receptors involved in nitric oxide synthase in the response to the ergot alkaloids, the ..
- Regulations relating to mycotoxins in food: perspectives in a global and European contextHans P van Egmond
Laboratory for Food and Residue Analysis, National Institute for Public Health and the Environment, P O Box 1, 3720 BA, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Anal Bioanal Chem 389:147-57. 2007..diacetoxyscirpenol, T-2 toxin and HT-2 toxin), fumonisins (B(1), B(2), and B(3)), agaric acid, ergot alkaloids, ochratoxin A, patulin, phomopsins, sterigmatocystin, and zearalenone...
- Influence of dietary endophyte (Neotyphodium coenophialum)-infected tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) seed on fecal shedding of antibiotic resistance-selected Escherichia coli O157:H7 in ewesM L Looper
USDA ARS, Dale Bumpers Small Farms Research Center, Booneville, AR 72927, USA
J Anim Sci 85:1102-8. 2007..3 +/- 0.4 kg of BW/d and LO-E ewes to gain 0.2 +/- 0.4 kg of BW/d during the 7 d. Urinary ergot alkaloids were increased (P < 0.001) in ewes fed HI-E (47.8 +/- 9...
- Synergistic effects of fumonisin B1 and ochratoxin A: are in vitro cytotoxicity data predictive of in vivo acute toxicity?Edmond E Creppy
Toxicology Department, University of Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Toxicology 201:115-23. 2004..of toxins such as aflatoxins, ochratoxins, trichothecenes, zearalenone, fumonisins, tremorgenic toxins and ergot alkaloids. Although toxicological, environmental and epidemiological studies have addressed the problem of these toxins ..
- Oral and parenteral vaccination of mice with protein-ergotamine conjugates and evaluation of protection against fescue toxicosisR L Rice
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg 24061, USA
Vet Immunol Immunopathol 61:305-16. 1998Acremonium coenophialum produces ergopeptide alkaloids in tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea Schreb.). These ergot alkaloids decrease serum alkaline phosphatase (ALP) activity, serum cholesterol and prolactin concentrations, as well as ..
- Bioaccumulation of ergovaline in bovine lateral saphenous veins in vitroJ L Klotz
Forage Animal Production Research Unit, U S Department of Agriculture Agricultural Research Service, Lexington, KY 40546, USA
J Anim Sci 87:2437-47. 2009b>Ergot alkaloids have been associated with vasoconstriction in grazing livestock affected by the fescue toxicosis syndrome...
- Drug therapy during labor and delivery, part 1Gerald G Briggs
Women s Pavilion, Miller Children s Hospital, Long Beach, Memorial Medical Center, Long Beach, CA 90806, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:1038-47. 2006..The drug therapy of common conditions and complications during labor and delivery and the fetal and neonatal effects of this therapy are examined...
- Drug therapy during labor and delivery, part 2Gerald G Briggs
Women s Pavilion, Miller Children s Hospital, Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, Long Beach, CA 90806, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:1131-9. 2006..The drug therapy of common conditions and complications during labor and delivery and the fetal and neonatal effects of this therapy are examined...
- Receptor systems mediating c-fos expression within trigeminal nucleus caudalis in animal models of migraineD D Mitsikostas
Athens Naval Hospital, Neurology Department, Headache Clinic, 70 Dinokratous Street, 115 21, Athens, Greece
Brain Res Brain Res Rev 35:20-35. 2001..These receptors represent potential targets for anti-migraine drugs as shown by triptans (5-HT(1B/1D/1F)) and ergot alkaloids (5-HT(1A1B/1D/1F))...
- Evidence that enforced sunlight exposure can cause hyperthermia in cattle ingesting low levels of ergot of rye (Claviceps purpurea), when air temperature and humidity conditions are only moderateC A Bourke
NSW Agriculture, Orange Agricultural Institute, Forest Road, Orange, New South Wales 2800
Aust Vet J 81:553-8. 2003..To determine the rectal temperature response of cattle, following the oral administration of ergot of rye (Claviceps purpurea), under pen conditions of enforced sunlight compared with those of enforced shade...
- Effects of the ergot alkaloids dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, and ergotamine on growth of Escherichia coli O157:H7 in vitroM L Looper
Dale Bumpers Small Farms Research Center, Agricultural Research Service, U S Department of Agriculture, Booneville, Arkansas 72927, USA
Foodborne Pathog Dis 5:599-604. 2008A series of experiments were conducted to evaluate the effects of ergot alkaloids (dihydroergotamine, ergonovine, and ergotamine) on E. coli O157:H7 in both pure and mixed ruminal fluid culture. Alkaloids were added to solutions of E...
- Mycotoxins and reproduction in domestic livestockM A Diekman
Department of Animal Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907
J Anim Sci 70:1615-27. 1992..b>Ergot alkaloids produced by Claviceps purpurea on wheat can cause reproductive problems and are associated with lactational ..
- Absolute contraindications in relation to potential drug interactions in outpatient prescriptions: analysis of the first five million prescriptions in 1999Laurence Guédon-Moreau
Department of Pharmacology, University of Lille, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:689-95. 2003..This study quantifies and analyses prescriptions with potential adverse drug interactions in primary health care in the north of France over a 3-month period...
- Absolute contraindications in relation to potential drug interactions in outpatient prescriptions: analysis of the first five million prescriptions in 1999Laurence Guédon-Moreau
Faculte de Medecine, Service de Pharmacologie, 2 Avenue Oscar Lambret, 59037 Lille, France
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 59:899-904. 2004..This study quantifies and analyses prescriptions with potential adverse drug interactions in primary health care in the North of France over a 3-month period...
- Prevention of postpartum haemorrhage with the oxytocin analogue carbetocinWerner Rath
Faculty of Medicine, University of Aachen RWTH, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 147:15-20. 2009..combines the safety and tolerability profile of oxytocin with the sustained uterotonic activity of injectable ergot alkaloids. Furthermore, carbetocin can be administered as a single dose injection either intravenously or ..
- Toxicity, metabolism, and impact of mycotoxins on humans and animalsH S Hussein
School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Nevada Reno, Mail Stop 202, Reno, NV 89557, USA
Toxicology 167:101-34. 2001..Aflatoxins, ochratoxins, trichothecenes, zearelenone, fumonisins, tremorgenic toxins, and ergot alkaloids are the mycotoxins of greatest agro-economic importance...
- Chemical and biological approaches for mycotoxin control: a reviewGonçalez Edlayne
Instituto Biologico, Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Sanidade Animal, CEP 04014 002, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Recent Pat Food Nutr Agric 1:155-61. 2009..significance include aflatoxins, ochratoxins, trichothecenes, zearalenone, fumonisins, patulin and ergot alkaloids. Commodities susceptible to direct contamination with mycotoxins include nuts, oilseeds and grains...
- Convulsive ergotism: epidemics of the serotonin syndrome?Mervyn J Eadie
Department of Medicine, University of Queensland, and the Royal Brisbane Hospital, Brisbane, Australia
Lancet Neurol 2:429-34. 2003..The ergot alkaloids are serotonin agonists...
- Development and validation of an LC-MS method for quantitation of ergot alkaloids in lateral saphenous vein tissueDarrin Smith
Department of Chemistry, Eastern Kentucky University, Richmond, Kentucky 40475, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:7213-20. 2009A liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC-MS) method for simultaneous quantitation of seven ergot alkaloids (lysergic acid, ergonovine, ergovaline, ergocornine, ergotamine, ergocryptine, and ergocristine) in vascular tissue was ..
- Analysis of multiple mycotoxins in beer employing (ultra)-high-resolution mass spectrometryMilena Zachariasova
Institute of Chemical Technology, Prague, Faculty of Food and Biochemical Technology, Department of Food Chemistry and Analysis, Technicka 3, 166 28 Prague 6, Czech Republic
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 24:3357-67. 2010..simple, high-throughput method for the control of 32 mycotoxins (Fusarium and Alternaria toxins, aflatoxins, ergot alkaloids, ochratoxins, and sterigmatocystin) in beer...
- The effects of dihydroergocryptine on the neurological and enzyme disorders induced by cerebral ischaemia in ratsR Cahn
SIR International, Department of Experimental Therapy, Montrouge, France
Resuscitation 18:37-48. 1989b>Ergot alkaloids are commonly used as cerebroprotective drugs...
- Prevention and management of postpartum hemorrhageJanice M Anderson
Forbes Family Medicine Residency Program, Western Pennsylvania Hospital Forbes Regional Campus, Monroeville, Pennsylvania 15221, USA
Am Fam Physician 75:875-82. 2007..for most cases and can be managed with uterine massage in conjunction with oxytocin, prostaglandins, and ergot alkaloids. Retained placenta is a less common cause and requires examination of the placenta, exploration of the ..
- Venoconstrictor responses to dihydroergocristine and dihydroergotamine: evidence for the involvement of 5-HT1 like receptorsE MULLER-Schweinitzer
Sandoz Pharma AG, Basel, Switzerland
Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 4:1455-60. 1990..When administered orally, however, both ergot alkaloids elicited similar venoconstrictor effects...
- Detection of lysergic acid in ruminal fluid, urine, and in endophyte-infected tall fescue using high-performance liquid chromatographyS L Lodge-Ivey
Department of Animal and Range Science, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM 88003, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 18:369-74. 2006b>Ergot alkaloids present in endophyte-infected tall fescue induce fescue toxicosis in livestock consuming the plant. The lysergic acid (LA) ring structure is a common moiety among the ergot alkaloids...
- BIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE MICROBIAL METABOLITESHEINZ FLOSS; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- ISU Vet-LIRN Collaborative Validation of Testing Methods on Animal Diagnostic SpeWILSON KIIZA RUMBEIHA; Fiscal Year: 2013..validate tests for which our lab has a unique expertise in including aflatoxins, Ractopamine, ionophores, ergot alkaloids, bromethalin, Cholecalciferol, selenium, coumesterol, zearalenone and cyanotoxins...
- Accessing Natural Products from Silent Biosynthetic PathwaysROBERT HENRY CICHEWICZ; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., penicillins, echinocandins, cyclosporins, ergot alkaloids, and statins)...
- NOVEL ROUTES TO PHYSIOLOGICALLY ACTIVE COMPOUNDSK Vollhardt; Fiscal Year: 1991..and nitriles to give specifically substituted arenes and heteroarenes, including aromatic steroids and ergot alkaloids. The cyclization of specifically constructed enediynes should open up ready access to the natural product ..
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF ERGOT ALKALOIDSHEINZ FLOSS; Fiscal Year: 1991The biosynthesis of the commercially important ergot alkaloids will be studied in a collaboration between a synthetic organic and a bioorganic research group...
- DEOXYHEXOSE BIOSYNTHESISHEINZ FLOSS; Fiscal Year: 2002..This work will lay one of the foundations for the combinatorial enzymatic synthesis of new, unnatural glycosides representing new combinations of antibiotic sugars and aglycones. ..
- Cellular & Molecular Fungal Biology 2008 Gordon Research ConferenceNancy Keller; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..