Genomes and Genes
Summary: A major alkaloid from Colchicum autumnale L. and found also in other Colchicum species. Its primary therapeutic use is in the treatment of gout, but it has been used also in the therapy of familial Mediterranean fever (PERIODIC DISEASE).
Publications321 found, 100 shown here
- Microtubules as a target for anticancer drugsMary Ann Jordan
University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California 93106, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:253-65. 2004
- The pharmacologic basis of treatment with colchicine in children with familial Mediterranean feverD Rigante
Centre of Periodic Fevers, Department of Pediatric Sciences, Universita Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 10:173-8. 2006..At present colchicine, an alkaloid with antimitotic activity interfering with microtubule formation, which has been used to alleviate ..
- Colchicine attenuates inflammatory cell infiltration and extracellular matrix accumulation in diabetic nephropathyJin Ji Li
Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Brain Korea 21 for Medical Science, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea 120 752
Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 297:F200-9. 2009..It is also known that colchicine (Col) can prevent various renal injuries via its anti-inflammatory action...
- Treatment options in colchicine resistant familial Mediterranean fever patients: thalidomide and etanercept as adjunctive agentsE Seyahi
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Medicine, Cerrahpasa Medical Faculty, University of Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
Clin Exp Rheumatol 24:S99-103. 2006Regular colchicine treatment cannot control the typical febrile attacks of FMF in about 5-10% of the compliant patients. Here we report the effect of thalidomide and etanercept in 5 colchicine-resistant cases.
- The tubulin colchicine domain: a molecular modeling perspectiveAlberto Massarotti
Dipartimento di Scienze Chimiche, Alimentari, Farmaceutiche e Farmacologiche, Universita degli Studi del Piemonte Orientale A Avogadro, Novara, Italy
ChemMedChem 7:33-42. 2012..overview of the role played by computational methods in anti-tubulin research, specifically in the context of colchicine binding agent research...
- Colchicine for prevention of early atrial fibrillation recurrence after pulmonary vein isolation: a randomized controlled studySpyridon Deftereos
Department of Cardiology, Athens General Hospital G Gennimatas, Athens, Greece
J Am Coll Cardiol 60:1790-6. 2012The purpose of the present study was to test the potential of colchicine, an agent with potent anti-inflammatory action, to reduce atrial fibrillation (AF) recurrence after pulmonary vein isolation in patients with paroxysmal AF.
- Free tubulin modulates mitochondrial membrane potential in cancer cellsEduardo N Maldonado
Center for Cell Death, Injury and Regeneration, Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Cancer Res 70:10192-201. 2010..Microtubule destabilizers, rotenone, colchicine, and nocodazole, and the microtubule stabilizer paclitaxel increased and decreased cellular free tubulin, ..
- Idiopathic recurrent pericarditis refractory to colchicine treatment can reveal tumor necrosis factor receptor-associated periodic syndromeL Cantarini
Interdepartmental Research Center of Systemic Autoimmune and Autoinflammatory Diseases, Unit of Rheumatology, Policlinico Le Scotte, University of Siena, Siena, Italy
Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 22:1051-8. 2009..Recurrent pericarditis is a common feature of both conditions, but it rarely occurs alone. Colchicine is the standard treatment for FMF, while patients with TRAPS do not respond to colchicine therapy, but are ..
- An overview of tubulin inhibitors that interact with the colchicine binding siteYan Lu
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Health Science Center, University of Tennessee, 847 Monroe Ave, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Pharm Res 29:2943-71. 2012Tubulin dynamics is a promising target for new chemotherapeutic agents. The colchicine binding site is one of the most important pockets for potential tubulin polymerization destabilizers...
- The apoptotic microtubule network preserves plasma membrane integrity during the execution phase of apoptosisJosé A Sánchez-Alcázar
Centro Andaluz de Biologia del Desarrollo, Universidad Pablo de Olavide CSIC, Carretera de Utrera Km 1, Sevilla, 41013, Spain
Apoptosis 12:1195-208. 2007..Concomitantly other components of the cytoskeleton, such as actin and cytokeratins disassemble. We found that colchicine-mediated disruption of apoptotic microtubule network results in enhanced plasma membrane permeability and ..
- Rilonacept for colchicine-resistant or -intolerant familial Mediterranean fever: a randomized trialPhilip J Hashkes
Pediatric Rheumatology Unit, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, POB 3235, Jerusalem, 91031 Israel
Ann Intern Med 157:533-41. 2012Currently, there is no proven alternative therapy for patients with familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) that is resistant to or intolerant of colchicine. Interleukin-1 is a key proinflammatory cytokine in FMF.
- Unpolarized release of vaccinia virus and HIV antigen by colchicine treatment enhances intranasal HIV antigen expression and mucosal humoral responsesYan Zhang
Mucosal Immunity Research Group, The State Key Laboratory of Virology, Wuhan Institute of Virology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Wuhan, China
PLoS ONE 6:e24296. 2011..stimulated unpolarized budding of the virus and HIV antigens by treating both Caco-2 cells and BALB/c mice with colchicine. We found that, in BALB/c mice, the degree of infection and antigen expression in the epithelia went up...
- Prevalence of contraindications and prescription of pharmacologic therapies for goutRobert T Keenan
Section of Rheumatology of the New York Harbor Health Care System, New York Campus of the US Department of Veterans Affairs, New York, USA
Am J Med 124:155-63. 2011..Patients with gout have comorbidities, but the impact of these comorbidities on treatment has not been studied...
- Familial Mediterranean fever with a single MEFV mutation: where is the second hit?Matthew G Booty
Genetics and Genomics Branch, National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 1820, USA
Arthritis Rheum 60:1851-61. 2009..The purpose of this study was to perform an extensive search for a second MEFV mutation in 46 patients diagnosed clinically as having FMF and carrying only 1 high-penetrance FMF mutation...
- Insight into tubulin regulation from a complex with colchicine and a stathmin-like domainRaimond B G Ravelli
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Grenoble Outstation, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, BP 181, 38042 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Nature 428:198-202. 2004..Their dynamic instability is controlled by numerous compounds and proteins, including colchicine and stathmin family proteins...
- Transgenic pig expressing the enhanced green fluorescent protein produced by nuclear transfer using colchicine-treated fibroblasts as donor cellsLiangxue Lai
Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri Columbia, Columbia, Missouri 65211, USA
Mol Reprod Dev 62:300-6. 2002..The transgenic cells were treated with colchicine, which theoretically would synchronize the cells into G2/M stage, and then used as donor nuclei for nuclear ..
- Neuronal degeneration and iNOS expression in experimental brain contusion following treatment with colchicine, dexamethasone, tirilazad mesylate and nimodipineC Gahm
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Section of Neurosurgery, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 147:1071-84; discussion 1084. 2005..This study was undertaken to investigate protection by the neuroprotective and/or anti-inflammatory drugs that have different putative mechanisms of action: colchicine, dexamethasone, tirilazad mesylate and nimodipine.
- Deaths associated with inappropriate intravenous colchicine administrationRenan A Bonnel
Office of Drug Safety, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, US Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, Maryland 20857, USA
J Emerg Med 22:385-7. 2002Intravenous (IV) colchicine is occasionally prescribed for the treatment of acute gouty arthritis...
- Physiochemical aspects of tubulin-interacting antimitotic drugsJ J Correia
Department of Biochemistry, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Curr Pharm Des 7:1213-28. 2001..or the preferential formation of alternate lattice contacts and polymers at microtubule ends by compounds like colchicine, vinca alkaloids and cryptophycin-52...
- COlchicine for the Prevention of the Post-pericardiotomy Syndrome (COPPS): a multicentre, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMassimo Imazio
Department of Cardiology, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Via Cibrario 72, 10141 Torino, Italy
Eur Heart J 31:2749-54. 2010No drug has been proven efficacious to prevent the post-pericardiotomy syndrome (PPS), but colchicine seems safe and effective for the treatment and prevention of pericarditis...
- Direct effects of colchicine on myocardial function: studies in hypertrophied and failing spontaneously hypertensive ratsA C Cicogna
Faculdade de Medicina de Botucatu UNESP, SP, Brazil
Hypertension 33:60-5. 1999..If an increase in microtubules contributes to dysfunction, then myocardial microtubule disruption by colchicine should promote an improvement in cardiac performance...
- Colchicine nonresponsiveness in familial Mediterranean fever: clinical, genetic, pharmacokinetic, and socioeconomic characterizationMerav Lidar
Heller Institute of Medical Research, Sheba Medical Center, Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Semin Arthritis Rheum 33:273-82. 2004To identify the ethnic, clinical, genetic, and pharmacokinetic correlates of colchicine treatment failure in patients with familial Mediterranean fever (FMF).
- Low-dose colchicine for secondary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseStefan M Nidorf
Heart Care Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:404-10. 2013The objective of this study was to determine whether colchicine 0.5 mg/day can reduce the risk of cardiovascular events in patients with clinically stable coronary disease.
- Colchicine treatment for the prevention of bare-metal stent restenosis in diabetic patientsSpyridon Deftereos
Department of Cardiology, Athens General Hospital G Gennimatas, Athens, Greece
J Am Coll Cardiol 61:1679-85. 2013This study sought to test the hypothesis that colchicine treatment after percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) can lead to a decrease in in-stent restenosis (ISR).
- Colchicine-derived compound CT20126 promotes skin allograft survival by regulating the balance of Th1 and Th2 cytokine productionSeon Jin Lee
Vascular System Research Center, School of Medicine, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon 200 701, Korea
Exp Mol Med 39:230-8. 2007b>Colchicine has been shown to regulate the expression of inflammatory gene, but this compound possesses much weaker anti-inflammatory activity...
- Neuroprotective effects of resveratrol against intracerebroventricular colchicine-induced cognitive impairment and oxidative stress in ratsA Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Pharmacology 79:17-26. 2007Alzheimer's disease is a complex and multifactorial neurodegenerative disease. Central administration of colchicine, a microtubule-disrupting agent, causes loss of cholinergic neurons and cognitive dysfunction that is associated with ..
- Apoptotic microtubule network organization and maintenance depend on high cellular ATP levels and energized mitochondriaManuel Oropesa
Centro Andaluz de Biologia del Desarrollo, Universidad Pablo de Olavide Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, Carretera de Utrera Km 1, Seville, Spain
Apoptosis 16:404-24. 2011..These data provide new explanations for the role of AMN and mitochondria during apoptosis...
- Mechanism of colchicine impairment on learning and memory, and protective effect of CGP36742 in miceZ Yu
Department of Pharmacology, Sun Yat Sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou, People s Republic of China
Brain Res 750:53-8. 1997Fourteen days after hippocampal microinfusion with colchicine (COL), learning and memory ability of mice was significantly impaired, while glutamate (Glu), gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), Glu/GABAB and GABAB receptor levels in the cortex ..
- Effect of colchicine and telocentric chromosome conformation on centromere and telomere dynamics at meiotic prophase I in wheat-rye additionsEduardo Corredor
Departamento de Genetica, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad Complutense, 28040, Madrid, Spain
Chromosome Res 15:231-45. 2007..have analysed the role of these structures in meiotic chromosome pairing in wheat-rye addition lines by applying colchicine for disturbing presynaptic telomere movements and by modifying the centromere position from submetacentric to ..
- Neuroprotective action of flavopiridol, a cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitor, in colchicine-induced apoptosisElvira G Jorda
Unitat de Farmacologia i Farmacognosia, Facultat de Farmacia, Universitat de Barcelona, Nucli Universitari de Pedralbes, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Neuropharmacology 45:672-83. 2003..We show that at therapeutic dosage (or at micromolar range), flavopiridol almost completely prevents colchicine-induced apoptosis in cerebellar granule neurones...
- Accidental colchicine overdose. A case report and literature reviewM J Maxwell
Accident and Emergency Department, Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, UK
Emerg Med J 19:265-7. 2002b>Colchicine overdose is uncommon but potentially life threatening. It is a safe drug when used according to established therapeutic guidelines but causes serious systemic effects if ingested in doses that exceed the recommendations...
- Meiotic telomere clustering is inhibited by colchicine but does not require cytoplasmic microtubulesCarrie R Cowan
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720 3200, USA
J Cell Sci 115:3747-56. 2002..The microtubule-depolymerizing agent colchicine was found to inhibit bouquet formation...
- Morphological study of fibroblasts treated with cytochalasin D and colchicine using a confocal laser scanning microscopyYoshihiro Ujihara
Division of Bioengineering, Department of Mechanical Science and Bioengineering, Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, Toyonaka, Osaka 560 8531, Japan
J Physiol Sci 58:499-506. 2008..Fibroblasts were treated with cytochalasin D or colchicine to disrupt the actin filaments or microtubules, respectively, and the structure and distribution of these ..
- Association between ABCB1 (MDR1) gene 3435 C>T polymorphism and colchicine unresponsiveness of FMF patientsFiliz Ozen
Department of Medical Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Cumhuriyet University, Sivas, Turkey
Ren Fail 33:899-903. 2011..We studied the association between C3435T polymorphisms (single nucleotide polymorphism) of MDR1 gene and colchicine-resistant familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) patients...
- Comparison of colchicine versus prednisolone in recurrent aphthous stomatitis: A double-blind randomized clinical trialAtessa Pakfetrat
Oral Medicine Department, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Clin Invest Med 33:E189-95. 2010..In this study, we compared the therapeutic effects of 5 mg/d prednisolone with 0.5 mg/d colchicine in the treatment of RAS.
- Alkylation potency and protein specificity of aromatic urea derivatives and bioisosteres as potential irreversible antagonists of the colchicine-binding siteJessica S Fortin
Unité des Biotechnologies et de Bioingénierie, CHUQ, Hopital Saint Francois d Assise, Quebec, Que, Canada G1L 3L5
Bioorg Med Chem 15:4456-69. 2007..CEUs) have been shown to be potent antimitotics through their covalent binding to the colchicine-binding site on intracellular beta-tubulin...
- Differential effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on intracerebroventricular colchicine-induced dysfunction and oxidative stress in ratsAnil Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160014, India
Eur J Pharmacol 551:58-66. 2006..Central administration of colchicine, a microtubule-disrupting agent, causes loss of cholinergic neurons and cognitive dysfunction that is associated ..
- Regionally selective neurotoxicity of NMDA and colchicine is independent of hippocampal neural circuitryY Ikegaya
Laboratory of Chemical Pharmacology, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0033, Japan
Neuroscience 113:253-6. 2002..NMDA), the CA3-selective toxicity of kainate, and the dentate gyrus (DG)-selective toxicity of colchicine were observed in organotypic entorhino-hippocampal cultures...
- Randomized trial of pimecrolimus cream plus colchicine tablets versus colchicine tablets in the treatment of genital ulcers in Behçet's diseaseOsman Kose
Department of Dermatology, Gulhane School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Dermatology 218:140-5. 2009..Recurrent and painful genital ulcers are the hallmark of Behçet's disease...
- Mechanism of action of N-phenyl-N'-(2-chloroethyl)ureas in the colchicine-binding site at the interface between alpha- and beta-tubulinSebastien Fortin
Unité des Biotechnologies et de Bioingénierie, Centre de Recherche, C H U Q, Hopital Saint Francois d Assise, Universite Laval, Quebec, Canada G1L 3L5
Bioorg Med Chem 17:3690-7. 2009..ruling the interactions occurring between hydrophobic N-phenyl-N'-(2-chloroethyl)ureas (CEU) and the colchicine-binding site (C-BS) on beta(II)-tubulin...
- N-Phenyl-N'-(2-chloroethyl)urea analogues of combretastatin A-4: Is the N-phenyl-N'-(2-chloroethyl)urea pharmacophore mimicking the trimethoxy phenyl moiety?Sebastien Fortin
Unité des Biotechnologies et de Bioingénierie, Centre de Recherche, C H U Q, Hopital Saint Francois d Assise, Universite Laval, Que, Canada G1L 3L5
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 17:2000-4. 2007..of combretastatin A-4 were synthesized and tested for their cell growth inhibition and their binding to the colchicine-binding site of beta-tubulin...
- N-Phenyl-N'-(2-chloroethyl)ureas (CEUs) as potential antineoplastic agents. Part 3: role of carbonyl groups in the covalent binding to the colchicine-binding siteEmmanuel Moreau
Univ Clermont1, UFR Pharmacie, Laboratoire de Chimie Organique, Clermont Ferrand F 63001, France
Bioorg Med Chem 16:1206-17. 2008..the effect of carbonylated substituting chains of the aromatic ring of CEU on their covalent binding to the colchicine-binding site (C-BS)...
- Colchicine induces membrane-associated activation of matrix metalloproteinase-2 in osteosarcoma cells in an S100A4-independent mannerThrina Loennechen
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacy, University of Tromsø, 9037 Tromsø, Norway
Biochem Pharmacol 66:2341-53. 2003..and in the present work we have investigated whether the anti-inflammatory and microtubule-disrupting drug colchicine has an effect on the expression of these proteins in osteosarcoma cell lines (OHS) with high and low levels of ..
- Microtubule disruption by colchicine reversibly enhances calcium signaling in intact rat cardiac myocytesB G Kerfant
Physiopathologie Cardiovasculaire, INSERM U-390, Montpellier, France
Circ Res 88:E59-65. 2001..In the present report, we further analyzed the effects of microtubule disruption by 1 micromol/L colchicine on Ca(2+) signaling in cardiac myocytes with intact sarcolemma...
- Anti-mitotic activity of colchicine and the structural basis for its interaction with tubulinBhabatarak Bhattacharyya
Department of Biochemistry, Bose Institute, Centenary Campus P1 12, CIT Scheme VIIM, Kolkata 700054, India
Med Res Rev 28:155-83. 2008In this review, an attempt has been made to throw light on the mechanism of action of colchicine and its different analogs as anti-cancer agents. Colchicine interacts with tubulin and perturbs the assembly dynamics of microtubules...
- Giardia lamblia: evaluation of the in vitro effects of nocodazole and colchicine on trophozoitesRafael Meyer Mariante
Programa de Ciências Morfológicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Exp Parasitol 110:62-72. 2005..In the present work, we used the microtubule inhibitors nocodazole and colchicine in order to investigate their direct and indirect effects on Giardia ultrastructure and attachment to the glass ..
- Interferon-alpha as a treatment modality for colchicine- resistant familial Mediterranean feverNurit Tweezer-Zaks
Heller Institute of Medical Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, affiliated with Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
J Rheumatol 35:1362-5. 2008..on interferon-alpha (IFN-alpha) were conflicting with respect to its efficacy in familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) refractory to colchicine treatment. We investigated the effect of IFN-alpha in patients with colchicine-resistant FMF.
- Opposite effects of microtubule-stabilizing and microtubule-destabilizing drugs on biogenesis of mitochondria in mammalian cellsM Karbowski
Department of Cell Biology and Molecular Pathology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, Nagoya, Japan
J Cell Sci 114:281-91. 2001..Depolymerization of microtubules by nocodazole or colchicine, as well as 2-methoxyestradiol, a natural estrogen metabolite, arrested asynchronously cultured cells in G(2)/M ..
- British Society for Rheumatology and British Health Professionals in Rheumatology guideline for the management of goutKelsey M Jordan
Rheumatology Department, Princess Royal Hospital, Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 46:1372-4. 2007
- Pharmacological and clinical basis of treatment of Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) with colchicine or analogues: an updateC Cerquaglia
Department of Internal Medicine, Catholic University, Largo F Vito 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Curr Drug Targets Inflamm Allergy 4:117-24. 2005..Since 1972 colchicine has become the drug of choice for prophylaxis against FMF attacks and amyloidosis FMF-associated...
- Colchicine versus placebo in Behçet's disease: randomized, double-blind, controlled crossover trialFereydoun Davatchi
Behcet s Disease Unit, Rheumatology Research Center, Tehran University for Medical Sciences, Shariati Hospital, Kargar Avenue, 14114, Tehran, Iran
Mod Rheumatol 19:542-9. 2009The effect of colchicine was evaluated in a large cohort of Behçet's disease (BD) patients and compared to placebo...
- Colchicine inhibits cationic dye uptake induced by ATP in P2X2 and P2X7 receptor-expressing cells: implications for its therapeutic actionC Marques-da-Silva
Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Br J Pharmacol 163:912-26. 2011..In this work we asked whether disrupting the microtubule cytoskeleton might affect the functions of these receptors...
- Antimitotic antifungal compound benomyl inhibits brain microtubule polymerization and dynamics and cancer cell proliferation at mitosis, by binding to a novel site in tubulinKamlesh Gupta
School of Biosciences and Bioengineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Mumbai India 400076
Biochemistry 43:6645-55. 2004..9 +/- 1.2 microM. Further, benomyl bound to at a novel site, distinct from the well-characterized colchicine and vinblastine binding sites...
- Multiple efflux pumps are involved in the transepithelial transport of colchicine: combined effect of p-glycoprotein and multidrug resistance-associated protein 2 leads to decreased intestinal absorption throughout the entire small intestineArik Dahan
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1065, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 37:2028-36. 2009..the efflux transporters involved in the intestinal permeability of the oral microtubule polymerization inhibitor colchicine and to evaluate the role of these transporters in limiting its oral absorption...
- Grapefruit juice and its constituents augment colchicine intestinal absorption: potential hazardous interaction and the role of p-glycoproteinArik Dahan
College of Pharmacy, University of Michigan, 428 Church Street, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48109 1065, USA
Pharm Res 26:883-92. 2009To investigate the potential interaction between grapefruit juice (GFJ) and the oral microtubule polymerization inhibitor colchicine, a P-gp and CYP3A4 substrate.
- New arylthioindoles and related bioisosteres at the sulfur bridging group. 4. Synthesis, tubulin polymerization, cell growth inhibition, and molecular modeling studiesGiuseppe La Regina
Dipartimento di Chimica e Tecnologie del Farmaco, Istituto Pasteur Fondazione Cenci Bolognetti, Sapienza Universita di Roma, Piazzale Aldo Moro 5, I 00185 Roma, Italy
J Med Chem 52:7512-27. 2009..In a protocol set up to evaluate toxicity on the Saccharomyces cerevisiae BY4741 wild type strain, compounds 24 and 54 strongly reduced cell growth, and 29, 36, and 39 also showed significant inhibition...
- Protective effect of naringin, a citrus flavonoid, against colchicine-induced cognitive dysfunction and oxidative damage in ratsAnil Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UGC Centre of Advanced Study, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
J Med Food 13:976-84. 2010Alzheimer's disease is a neurodegenerative disorder. Central administration of colchicine is well known to cause cognitive impairment and oxidative damage, which simulates sporadic dementia of the Alzheimer type in humans...
- G(1) and G(2) cell-cycle arrest following microtubule depolymerization in human breast cancer cellsApril L Blajeski
Department of Molecular Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tumor Biology Program, Mayo Graduate School, Mayo Clinic, 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Clin Invest 110:91-9. 2002..Similar effects were observed with 100 nM vincristine or colchicine. Among five normal mammary epithelial isolates, four exhibited type A behavior and one exhibited type B behavior...
- Gout--what are the treatment options?Naomi Schlesinger
Division of Rheumatology Department of Medicine, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08903 0019, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 10:1319-28. 2009..The options available for the treatment of acute gout are NSAIDs, colchicine, corticosteroids, adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and intra-articular corticosteroids...
- Studies of nuclear and cytoplasmic behaviour during the five mitotic cycles that precede gastrulation in Drosophila embryogenesisV E Foe
J Cell Sci 61:31-70. 1983..structured domains of cytoplasm are organized around each blastoderm nucleus; radially directed tracks orient colchicine-sensitive saltatory transport throughout the peripheral cytoplasm; and a long-range organization of the core of ..
- A common pharmacophore for a diverse set of colchicine site inhibitors using a structure-based approachTam Luong Nguyen
Target Structure Based Drug Discovery Group, Developmental Therapeutics Program, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Med Chem 48:6107-16. 2005..A large number of synthetic and natural compounds with diverse structures have been shown to bind at the colchicine site, one of the major binding sites on tubulin, and inhibit tubulin assembly...
- Risk factors for amyloidosis and impact of kidney transplantation on the course of familial Mediterranean feverIlan Ben-Zvi
Rheumatology Unit, Zabludowicz Center of Autoimmune Disease, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 14:221-4. 2012..Amyloidosis of familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) may lead to end-stage renal failure, culminating in kidney transplantation in some patients...
- Intracerebroventricular administration of colchicine produces cognitive impairment associated with oxidative stress in ratsM H Veerendra Kumar
Neuropharmacology Laboratory, Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 73:565-71. 2002..Central administration of colchicine is known to cause cognitive impairment in rats and is likened to sporadic AD in humans...
- Formulation of colchicine ointment for the treatment of acute goutSairam Maduri
Anwarul Uloom College of Pharmacy, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad, India
Singapore Med J 53:750-4. 2012In spite of being the fastest acting drug available for the control of an acute gout attack, colchicine is generally considered a last alternative in gout therapy...
- Colchicine-induced apoptosis in human normal liver L-02 cells by mitochondrial mediated pathwaysXue mei Chen
New Drug Screening Center, China Pharmaceutical University, Nanjing 210009, Jiangsu, China
Toxicol In Vitro 26:649-55. 2012b>Colchicine is an alkaloid that has been widely used to treat gout. It also has a curative effect on cancer...
- Colchicine protects against hyperoxic lung injury in neonatal ratsRamazan Ozdemir
Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Inonu University School of Medicine, Malatya, Turkey
Neonatology 102:265-9. 2012..Bronchopulmonary dysplasia (BPD) is characterized by inflammation, fibrosis and mucosal necrosis, which leads to emphysematous coalescence of alveoli...
- The activity of antioxidant enzymes in Arabidopsis thaliana exposed to colchicine and H2O2Maria Drazkiewicz
Department of Plant Physiology, Maria Curie Skłodowska University, Akademicka 19, 20 033 Lublin, Poland
Cell Mol Biol Lett 8:777-81. 2003Studies on the possible interference of colchicine and H2O2 with the activity of some antioxidant enzymes were carried out on Arabidopsis thaliana v. Columbia grown in Murashige and Skooge nutrient medium...
- Colchicine reduces postoperative atrial fibrillation: results of the Colchicine for the Prevention of the Postpericardiotomy Syndrome (COPPS) atrial fibrillation substudyMassimo Imazio
Cardiology Department, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Via Cibrario 72, Turin, Italy
Circulation 124:2290-5. 2011..for postoperative atrial fibrillation (POAF), and both are potentially affected by antiinflammatory drugs and colchicine, which has been shown to be safe and efficacious for the prevention of pericarditis and the postpericardiotomy ..
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of colchicine B-ring analogues tethered with halogenated benzyl moietiesLaura Cosentino
Institute of Cancer Therapeutics, University of Bradford, Bradford, West Yorkshire, BD7 1DP, UK
J Med Chem 55:11062-6. 2012....
- Colchicine for recurrent pericarditis (CORP): a randomized trialMassimo Imazio
Maria Vittoria Hospital and Ospedale degli Infermi, Torino, Ospedali Riuniti, Bergamo, San Maurizio Regional Hospital, Bolzano, Italy
Ann Intern Med 155:409-14. 2011..Recurrence is the most common complication of pericarditis, affecting 10% to 50% of patients...
- Colchicine induces apoptosis in organotypic hippocampal slice culturesBjarne W Kristensen
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, Institute of Medical Biology, University of Southern Denmark, Winsløwparken 21, DK 5000 C, Odense, Denmark
Brain Res 964:264-78. 2003The microtubule-disrupting agent colchicine is known to be particular toxic for certain types of neurons, including the granule cells of the dentate gyrus...
- Etanercept plus colchicine treatment in a child with tumour necrosis factor receptor-associated periodic syndrome abolishes auto-inflammatory episodes without normalising the subclinical acute phase responseJuan I Arostegui
Servicio de Immunologia, Hospital Clinic, Villarroel 170, 08036 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Pediatr 164:13-6. 2005..however, levels of acute-phase reactants remained increased and could not be stabilised by the addition of colchicine. We believe that this patient gained some symptomatic relief with etanercept therapy, although not enough to ..
- Effect of colchicine on sensitivity of duck salt gland Na,K-ATPase to Na+S S Yakushev
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Biology, Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, 119991, Russia
Biochemistry (Mosc) 73:990-4. 2008..Disruption of microtubules by colchicine removes phospholemman from heart Na,K-ATPase preparations...
- Familial Mediterranean fever: risk factors, causes of death, and prognosis in the colchicine eraServet Akar
Division of Rheumatology, Department of Internal Medicine, Dokuz Eylul University School of Medicine, Izmir, Turkey
Medicine (Baltimore) 91:131-6. 2012..assessed the risk factors and causes of death in patients with familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) in an era when colchicine is the standard therapy for all patients...
- Induction of nephrotoxic serum nephritis in inbred mice and suppressive effect of colchicine on the development of this nephritisShih Ming Chen
Department of Drug Information and Communication, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Chiba shi, Japan
Pharmacol Res 45:319-24. 2002..Furthermore, clinically used colchicine is thought to suppress functions of PMN...
- An infant with severe refractory Crohn's disease and homozygous MEFV mutation who dramatically responded to colchicineZarife Kuloglu
Department of Pediatric Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, Ankara University, Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 32:783-5. 2012..In addition to azathioprine and cyclosporine therapy, with the diagnosis of FMF, colchicine therapy was started and partial remission was observed within 2 weeks...
- Long-term colchicine therapy in a patient with Behçet's disease and acute promyelocytic leukemiaHakan Ozdogu
Department of Hematology, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Rheumatol Int 27:763-5. 2007..The benefit of treatment with colchicine in patients with Behçet's disease has been reported in literature...
- Ergotamine-induced pleural and pericardial effusion successfully treated with colchicineV Helsen
Division of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 68:113-5. 2013..Tentative treatment with colchicine was successful, with complete resolution of pleural fluid, fever, cough and inflammatory parameters...
- Colchicine-induced cytoskeletal collapse and apoptosis in N-18 neuroblastoma cultures is rapidly reversed by applied S-100betaL S Brewton
Department of Biology, 10-09 Main Building, New York University, 100 Washington Square East, New York, NY 10003, USA
Brain Res 912:9-16. 2001..of N-18 cells (neuroblastoma clonal cell line) are treated for 30 min in serum-free medium with 10(-6) M colchicine. In normal media, colchicine induces a rapid retraction of processes, membrane blebbing, nuclear collapse, and ..
- High versus low dosing of oral colchicine for early acute gout flare: Twenty-four-hour outcome of the first multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group, dose-comparison colchicine studyRobert A Terkeltaub
VAMC San Diego, and University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Arthritis Rheum 62:1060-8. 2010Despite widespread use of colchicine, the evidence basis for oral colchicine therapy and dosing in acute gout remains limited...
- Colchicine and benzathine penicillin in the treatment of Behçet disease: a case comparative studyMakram M Al-Waiz
Department of Dermatology and Venereology, College of Medicine, University of Baghdad, Medical City Teaching Hospital
Dermatol Online J 11:3. 2005..We performed a case-comparative study to evaluate efficacy of combined colchicine and benzathine penicillin in the treatment and prophylaxis of Behçet disease...
- N-aryl-6-methoxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroquinolines: a novel class of antitumor agents targeting the colchicine site on tubulinXiao Feng Wang
Beijing Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 27 Tai Ping Road, Beijing 100850, China Pharmacy Department, Urumqi General Hospital, Lanzhou Military Region, Urumqi 830000, China
Eur J Med Chem 67:196-207. 2013..derivatives as a novel class of tubulin polymerization inhibitors targeted at the colchicine binding site...
- Colchicine for the primary and secondary prevention of pericarditis: an updateI fan Kuo
St Paul s Hospital, Department of Pharmacy, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Ann Pharmacother 43:2075-81. 2009To review the efficacy and safety of colchicine as primary and secondary prophylaxis for pericarditis.
- A randomized trial of colchicine for acute pericarditisMassimo Imazio
Cardiology Department, Maria Vittoria Hospital, Turin, Italy
N Engl J Med 369:1522-8. 2013b>Colchicine is effective for the treatment of recurrent pericarditis. However, conclusive data are lacking regarding the use of colchicine during a first attack of acute pericarditis and in the prevention of recurrent symptoms.
- Topical use of colchicine to prevent spinal epidural fibrosis in ratsOzgur Ozdemir
Department of Neurosurgery, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Neurol Res 32:1117-20. 2010..b>Colchicine is an historical drug extracted from the flowers of Colchium autumnale widely used in arthritic conditions in ..
- Colchicine prolongs patency of myringotomy in an animal modelGavriel Haim
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Assaf Harofeh Medical Center, Zerifin 70300, Israel
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 75:554-7. 2011..Our aims were to investigate the combined effect of myringotomy and the topical application of Colchicine solution to the external ear canal for the prolongation of patency in the treatment of patients with COME and to ..
- Colchicine in clinical medicine. A guide for internistsGiuseppe Cocco
Medical Practice, Rheinfelden, Switzerland
Eur J Intern Med 21:503-8. 2010b>Colchicine (COL) has been used in medicine for a long time. It is well recognized as a valid therapy in acute flares of gouty arthritis, familial Mediterranean fever (FMF), Behçet's disease, and recurring pericarditis with effusion...
- Colchicine vs. omega-3 fatty acids for prevention of chronic cyclosporine nephrotoxicity in Sprague Dawley rats: an experimental animal modelAlaa Sabry
Nephrology and Internal Medicine Department, Mansoura Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Arch Med Res 37:933-40. 2006....
- Design, synthesis and identification of novel colchicine-derived immunosuppressantDong Jo Chang
College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, San 56 1, Sillim dong, Gwanak Gu, Seoul 151 742, Republic of Korea
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 19:4416-20. 2009Synthesis and biological evaluation of various colchicine analogues through the mixed-lymphocyte reaction (MLR), lymphoproliferation, and inhibitory effects on the inflammatory genes are described...
- The expanded clinical profile and the efficacy of colchicine therapy in Egyptian children suffering from familial Mediterranean fever: a descriptive studyHala Salah El Din Talaat
Department of Pediatrics, Cairo University, Cairo, Egypt
Ital J Pediatr 38:66. 2012..Familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) is an autosomal recessive disease characterized by self-limiting recurrent attacks of fever and serosal inflammation, leading to abdominal, thoracic or articular pain...
- Colchicine-induced polyploidization depends on tubulin polymerization in c-metaphase cellsA D Caperta
Secção de Genética, Centro de Botânica Aplicada à Agricultura, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Universidade Tecnica de Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
Protoplasma 227:147-53. 2006The microtubule cytoskeleton plays a crucial role in the cell cycle and in mitosis. Colchicine is a microtubule-depolymerizing agent that has long been used to induce chromosome individualization in cells arrested at metaphase and also in ..
- Anti-interleukin 1 treatment for patients with familial Mediterranean fever resistant to colchicineSeza Ozen
Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Rheumatol 38:516-8. 2011..Although colchicine is the standard therapy for preventing attacks and suppressing inflammation, 5%-10% of compliant patients are ..
- Neuroprotection by nicotine against colchicine-induced apoptosis is mediated by PI3-kinase--Akt pathwaysXiaohui Huang
Laboratory of Surgery, The First Affiliated Hospital, Sun Yat Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Int J Neurosci 122:324-32. 2012Although nicotine is known to protect against β-amyloid (Aβ)-induced neurotoxicity, the effect of nicotine on colchicine-induced neurotoxicity remains unknown...
- Unsuspected colchicine overdose in a female patient presenting as an acute abdomenR E Blackham
Sir Charles Gairdner Hospital, Nedlands, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 35:437-9. 2007We report a case of multi-system organ failure as a result of unsuspected colchicine overdose in a patient with known gout and bulimia nervosa...
- A novel synthetic analog of 5, 8-disubstituted quinazolines blocks mitosis and induces apoptosis of tumor cells by inhibiting microtubule polymerizationWei Tian
The School of Life Science and Biopharmaceutics of Shenyang Pharmaceutical University, Liaoning, China
PLoS ONE 5:e10499. 2010..In addition, LJK-11 had synergistic effect with another microtubule inhibitor colchicine on blocking mitosis, but not with vinblastine or nocodazole...
- Colchicine overdose-induced acute renal failure and electrolyte imbalanceWen Hung Huang
Department of Nephrology, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Linkou, Taiwan, ROC
Ren Fail 29:367-70. 2007b>Colchicine has been used to control gouty arthritis for long time; colchicine overdose, however, causes multiple organ dysfunction. To date, no investigation has revealed the site of kidney lesion or dysfunction...
- Intravenous colchicine for treatment of patients with familial Mediterranean fever unresponsive to oral colchicineMerav Lidar
Heller Institute of Medical Research, Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer 52621, Israel
J Rheumatol 30:2620-3. 2003To evaluate the efficacy and safety of weekly intravenous (IV) colchicine, in addition to oral colchicine therapy, in a subset of patients with familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) unresponsive to oral colchicine prophylaxis.
- Modulation of Ca(2+) signaling by microtubule disruption in rat ventricular myocytes and its dependence on the ruptured patch-clamp configurationS C Calaghan
School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Circ Res 88:E32-7. 2001In the absence of hypertrophic proliferation of microtubules, microtubule disruption by colchicine does not modulate contraction of adult cardiac myocytes. However, Gomez et al (Circ Res...
- Nmr studies of colchicine and its photoisomers, beta- and gamma-lumicolchicinesD Meksuriyen
Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago 60612
J Nat Prod 51:88-93. 1988Unambiguous 1H- and 13C-nmr assignments of colchicine, beta-lumicolchicine, and gamma-lumicolchicine have been obtained using a combination of 1D- and 2D-nmr spectroscopic techniques...
- Differential colchicine-binding across eukaryotic families: the role of highly conserved Pro268beta and Ala248beta residues in animal tubulinMithu Banerjee
Department of Biochemistry, Bose Institute, P 1 12 CIT Scheme VIIM, Kolkata 700 054, India
FEBS Lett 581:5019-23. 2007b>Colchicine-tubulin interaction, responsible for the disruption of microtubule formation, has immense pharmacological importance but is poorly understood in terms of its biological significance...
- Colchicine treatment in children with familial Mediterranean feverN Ozkaya
Ankara University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Clin Rheumatol 22:314-7. 2003Prophylactic colchicine therapy has been shown to be a safe and effective method of eliminating the attacks and preventing the development of amyloidosis in patients with familial Mediterranean fever (FMF)...
- MINORITY PREDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMQuentin J Baca; Fiscal Year: 2010..g., cytochalasin, jasplakinolide, colchicine). We will also investigate the role of specific molecular partners (e.g...
- Imaging retinal astrocytes, ganglion cells and axonal transport in vivoBrad Fortune; Fiscal Year: 2012..by comparing the impact of four unilateral experimental injury models (intravitreal injection of nocodazole/colchicine to disrupt axonal microtubules and inhibit active axonal transport;acute elevation of intraocular pressure;..
- Transporter Trafficking Mechanisms in Infectious DiarrheaPradeep K Dudeja; Fiscal Year: 2013..NaCl and water absorption utilizing state-of-the-art techniques, NHERF knockout mice and mice administered colchicine. Our proposed studies should provide new insights into the pathophysiology of EPEC-induced diarrhea and ..
- Drug-Drug Interactions and Preventable Adverse Events in RheumatologyCECILIA PILAR CHUNG; Fiscal Year: 2013..selected CYP3A substrate drugs with great potential for toxicity: (1) the opioids oxycodone and fentanyl and (2) colchicine users and define the risk of clinically important outcomes associated with concurrent therapy with CYP3A ..
- Water Soluble Antimitotics That Circumvent Rumor ResistanceSusan L Mooberry; Fiscal Year: 2013..the newly approved ixabepilone;4) are selective for tumor cells over normal cells;5) bind to or near the colchicine-site in tubulin;and 6) are highly efficacious in tumor xenograft without toxicity...
- Centers of Research Translation (CoRT)Kenneth G Saag; Fiscal Year: 2013..associated with suboptimal gout care and factors influencing effective and safer dosing of allopurinol and colchicine in African-Americans and Caucasians (Project 3);and compare the effectiveness of a novel pharmacy-based "virtual"..
- Phase II, IL-1 Trap for Treatment of Familial Mediterranean FeverSteven J Spalding; Fiscal Year: 2010..FMF is a rare orphan disease in the United States. Treatment with colchicine is effective in reducing the frequency of episodes in most patients and the development of amyloidosis in nearly ..
- Impact of Unapproved Drug Initiative on Colchicine UseEswar Krishnan; Fiscal Year: 20137. Project Summary/Abstract High dose oral colchicine has been utilized for the treatment of acute gouty arthritis for several centuries...
- Intrinsic Anatomy of the Circadian Rhythm SystemLAWRENCE MORIN; Fiscal Year: 2005..Importantly, all the work will be performed with animals pretreated with colchicine.Preliminary data show that all SCN neurons are darkly immunoreactive for GABA...
- CONTROL OF HEMATOPOIETIC TOXICITY WITH INTERLEUKIN-1VINCENT GALLICCHIO; Fiscal Year: 1990..The drugs to be used are vinblastine, cyclophosphamide, colchicine, cytosine arabinoside, actinomycin-D, 5-fluorouracil, methotrexate and bleomycin...
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF NEW ANTICANCER AGENTSWILLIAM CREASEY; Fiscal Year: 1980..Microtubule protein will be measured by colchicine-binding assay using DEAE, and competition by other drugs determined...
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF DRUG RESISTANCE IN E HISTOLYICAJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 1993..histolytica, one of which (C2) was selected for resistance to emetine but was found to be cross-resistant to colchicine. This resistance to a drug not selected for is reminiscent of multidrug resistance in cultured mammalian cells...
- ROLE OF CYCLOSPORINE METABOLISM IN TRANSPLANTATIONNEIL LEMPERT; Fiscal Year: 1990..with other immunosuppressive agents, including steroids, 6-mercaptopurine, 2-deoxycoformycin, chlorpromazine, colchicine, and cytochalasins A and B; and to determine if the effects of CsA and the active metabolites on Na+/H+ antiport ..
- Role of the Acetyltransferase p300 in Cellular ResponsesMaria Avantaggiati; Fiscal Year: 2006..of clinical relevance include paclitaxel (taxol), vinca alkaloids (vinblastin and vincrisitn), nocodazole and colchicine. These agents trigger a checkpoint, the spindle checkpoint, which monitors he attachment of chromosomes to the ..
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF ANTITUMOR DRUGSRichard Luduena; Fiscal Year: 2000..It also has significantly different interactions with the anti-tumor drugs vinblastine, taxol and colchicine. Part of the reason for the uniqueness of the abIII dimer is the apparent unusual rigidity of its conformation...
- CALCIUM ION INTERACTIONS IN DEVELOPING DENTAL TISSUESDALE EISENMANN; Fiscal Year: 1990..Ca+2-Mg+2 ATPase inhibitors quercetin and ethacrynic acid; the hormone calcitonin; the anti-microtubular agent colchicine; and sodium fluoride...
- SYNTHESIS OF TAXININE AND TAXOLCHARLES SWINDELL; Fiscal Year: 1992..Taxol possesses intriguing activity as a mitotic spindle poison. Unlike classical spindle poisons (e.g. colchicine, vinblastine), taxol is unique in its ability to promote the polymerization of tubulin into microtubular ..
- ADAPTATION OF RENAL TAURINE TRANSPORTRussell Chesney; Fiscal Year: 1993..trafficking or import by the microtrabecular network, because transporter import into membranes is blocked by colchicine. New protein synthesis is also important since cycloheximide blocks the adaptive response...
- CELLULAR REGULATION OF HEPATOCYTE EXCRETORY FUNCTIONEDWARD OLINGER; Fiscal Year: 1980..c. Drugs: Phenobarbital, 3-methylcholanthrene, colchicine, vinblastine, cytochalasin B. d...
- NEURONAL POLARITYKENNETH KOSIK; Fiscal Year: 2000..resulting in loss of the lamella, but not the process formation; and disruption of microtubules with colchicine resulting in loss of process formation, but not the lamella...
- ECTO 5'-NUCLEOTIDASE AS A CELL SURFACE REPORTERKERMIT CARRAWAY; Fiscal Year: 1980..In intact cells treated with cytoskeletal perturbant drugs (e.g. colchicine, cytochalasins) the relationship between the cooperativity change and changes in specific cytoskeletal elements (..
- PHARMACOPHORE INTERACTIONS WITH TUBULIN OF CRYPTOPHYCINSGunda Georg; Fiscal Year: 2001..greatly reduced susceptibility to P-glycoprotein-mediated multiple drug resistance in comparison to vinblastine, colchicine and taxol. The cryptophycins are antimitotic agents, interacting with tubulin in a vinca-alkaloid-like fashion...
- Role of Angiogenesis Following StrokePatrick Lyden; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will block macrophage entry into the brain by depleting them (whole body irradiation) or inhibiting them (colchicine/chloroquine), and expect to see a marked reduction of both macrophages and microvessels near the ischemic zone...
- UNDERSTANDING THE DESIGN OF MOLECULAR MOTORSJohn Murray; Fiscal Year: 2000..Agents that interfere with microtubule-based motile systems have therapeutic applications in humans: colchicine, used for in gouty arthritis; vincristine, vinblastine, and taxol, used for their anti-mitotic effects against a ..
- Novel anti-melanoma agents and their mechanism of actionHarish Joshi; Fiscal Year: 2009..Based upon structural similarities to microtubule poisons (colchicine, podophylotoxin, MTC), we identified a tubulin binding natural compound, noscapine (Ye et al., 1998)...
- Retrograde amnesia after hippocampal damageRobert Sutherland; Fiscal Year: 2006..task specificity with different extents of hippocampal damage, using varying numbers of NMDA microinjections and colchicine dentate gyrus microinjections...
- HEPATOCELLULAR MECHANISMS OF BILE FORMATIONJames Crawford; Fiscal Year: 1993..of graded doses of bile salts of different hydrophobicity and the effects of cytoskeleton inhibitors, including colchicine and phalloidin, will be examined to determine the role of transhepatic bile salt flux and the cytoskeletal ..
- Remote Viral Gene Delivery in a Mouse Model of ALSBret Mobley; Fiscal Year: 2003..We will do this by blocking microtubule function with peripheral colchicine injection and also by analyzing beta-galactosidase distribution after injecting the protein peripherally...
- STRUCTURAL AND GENETIC ASPECTS OF TUBULIN INTERACTIONSLYNWOOD YARBROUGH; Fiscal Year: 1992..trypanosome tubulin in terms of its assembly, stability, and susceptibility to antimitotic agents such as colchicine and the benzimidazoles. 3...
- CONTROL OF EPITHELIAL GROWTH IN RENAL CYSTIC DISEASEJared Grantham; Fiscal Year: 1991..g. amiloride, colchicine, hydroxyurea, increased (K) and decreased (Na)...
- PHARMACOLOGIC MODIFICATION OF AFFERENT INPUTMURRAY MATTHEWS; Fiscal Year: 1980..Using the visual pathway of the developing and mature rat as a model, colchicine and xylocaine, agents which interrupt axon transport, will be applied to the cell bodies of the primary afferent ..
- COMPARATIVE VERTEBRATE AMELOGENESISKENNETH PROSTAK; Fiscal Year: 1990..matrix components will be determined by autoradiographic, immunological, and pharmacological administration of colchicine, fluoride, and L azetidine carboxylic acid...
- THE PIGMENT MOTILITY MECHANISM IN CHROMATOPHORESKeith Porter; Fiscal Year: 1980..to the directed motion of pigment has been demonstrated by partially disassembling the microtubules with colchicine and nocodazole. In their absence the motility mechanism cannot function...
- Shared Instrument: Focus microPETSteven Larson; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. C11-colchicine and -methionine, F18-FMiso, -FEAU, and -FDHT, Ga66-DOTATOC, Y86-DOTA-Biotin, and I124-FIAU and IAZG)...
- PINOCYTIC REGULATION IN NORMAL AND TRANSFORMED CELLSJoel Swanson; Fiscal Year: 1990..The induced pinocytosis is distinct from constitutive pinocytosis in that only the former can be inhibited by colchicine or by expansion of the lysosomal compartment. Pinocytosis in the transformed mouse macrophage cell line J774...
- Inhibitor of FtsZ Polymerization in M. tuberculosisRobert Reynolds; Fiscal Year: 2004..Three compounds, SRI-3072, SRI-76 14, and colchicine have been shown to inhibit polymerization of Mtb FtsZ in a dose dependent manner with IC50S of 50 uM, 60 uM, and ..
- SYNTHETIC APPLICATIONS OF CARBENE COMPLEXESWILLIAM WULFF; Fiscal Year: 2003..be examined for the synthesis of the platelet activating factor antagonist phomactin D and for the synthesis of colchicine and allocolchicinoids that have been investigated for the treatment of gout, familial Mediterranean fever and ..
- TRANSFORMATION ASSOCIATED ENHANCEMENT OF DRUG RESISTANCEANNA HILL; Fiscal Year: 1993..of gene amplification in LA24 cells that are transformed and non- transformed by selecting for methotrexate and colchicine resistant clones...
- STRUCTURAL/SYNTHETIC STUDIES OF BIOACTIVE MARINE AGENTSDaniel Romo; Fiscal Year: 1999..that these investigations may lead to a novel class of antineoplastic agents that exert their effects via the colchicine binding site of tubulin in contrast to other known inhibitors of tubulin polymerization which exert their ..
- MOLECULAR EFFECTS OF EARLY EXPERIENCE ON MOTOR NEURONRobert Kalb; Fiscal Year: 1991..studies will test the contribution of the components of the motor unit to development using a-bungarotoxin, colchicine and tetrodotoxin...
- BIOCHEMICAL STUDIES OF NEUROHORMONAL COMMUNICATIONDavid Schlesinger; Fiscal Year: 1980..Pulse-chase experiments with 3H-leucine were performed in the presence and absence of colchicine to help define precursor-product relationships within the Bag Cell...
- EFFECTS OF METHYLMERCURY ON BRAINBYUNG CHOI; Fiscal Year: 1990..Various modifying factors such as Vitamin E, selenium, dimercaptosuccinic acid, dimercaptopropanol, colchicine, cytochalasin B will be used to delineate the specific action of each factor and their influence on the effects ..
- ACTIN & TUBULIN CANCER CELLS (HUMAN, ADENOVIRUS)Robert Weihing; Fiscal Year: 1980..We shall then isolate the colchicine mitotic apparatus and the intercellular bridge and determine if specific tubulin subunits are present in ..
- CELL BIOLOGY OF ESTROGEN EFFECTS ON LORDOSIS BEHAVIORROCHELLE COHEN; Fiscal Year: 1993..This possibility will be tested by infusing inhibitors of RNA and protein synthesis or colchicine, respectively, into the VMN and examining the ultrastructure of synapses in the MCG of animals which have ..
- NEUROTROPHINS IN OLFACTORY DEVELOPMENTKathleen Guthrie; Fiscal Year: 2002..Studies will determine if colchicine treatment increases neurotrophin immunoreactivity in sensory neurons while decreasing immunoreactivity in ..
- SERTOLI CELL TOXICITY IN VIVO--MICROTUBULE DISRUPTIONKim Boekelheide; Fiscal Year: 2001..Microtubule disrupters - including model compounds (colchicine, taxol) and environmental contaminants (the benomyl metabolite, carbendazim, and the n-hexane metabolite, 2,5-..
- TYROSYLATION OF TUBULIN IN DIFFERENTIATING TISSUESMalcolm Gordon; Fiscal Year: 1980..Anti-mitotic drugs, e.g., colchicine and podophyllotoxin, as well as Li ion, at a concentration effective in the treatment of manic-depressive ..
- HERRING BODY AND PITUICYTE IN NEUROSECRETIONDIETER DELLMANN; Fiscal Year: 1980..0 micron colchicine will be investigated electronmicroscopically and autoradiographically...
- DEPRESSION, 5-HT1A RECEPTOR & NEUROPLASTICITYEfrain Azmitia; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the actions of S-HT1A agonist and S-lOObeta will be studied after microinjections of colchicine into the adult rat hippocampus and cortex...
- APOPTOSIS AND INFLAMMATION AFTER FOCAL CEREBRAL ISCHEMIAYi Li; Fiscal Year: 1999..contribute to apoptosis, by measuring apoptotic cells in rats subjected to MCAo and administered chloroquine and colchicine, agents which suppress the biological activity of mononuclear phagocytes...
- Proteomics and Biomarkers for Hepatocellular CancerNezam Afdhal; Fiscal Year: 2004..with HCV and cirrhosis who are randomized to treatment with either low dose PEGylated interferon alfa 2b or colchicine and are followed for 4 years with rigorous clinical screening for HCC...
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKROBERT LEMANSKE; Fiscal Year: 2002..use of a beta-agonist in subjects with mild asthma ( BAGS ) and of the efficacy of the anti-inflammatory agent, colchicine, as an alternate to an inhaled corticosteriod in moderate asthma...
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK (ACRN)Richard Martin; Fiscal Year: 2002..published trials of the effects of regular use of a Beta- agonist in mild asthma ("BAGS") and of the efficacy of colchicine as an alternate to an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) in moderate asthma...
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKFrank Leone; Fiscal Year: 2002..effects of regular beta-agonist use in mild asthma ( BAGS ) and of the efficacy of the anti-inflammatory agent, colchicine, as an alternative to an inhaled corticosteroid in moderate asthma...
- MECHANISM OF ACTION OF COLCHICINEYI HAN CHANG; Fiscal Year: 1980With the long term goal of elucidating the mechanism(s) of action of colchicine, it is the objective of this investigation to determine 1) whether polymorphonuclear leukocytes in patients with gout and in laboratory animals with acute ..
- Mechanism of Compensatory Tissue Repair in Renal InjuryHARIHARA MEHENDALE; Fiscal Year: 2006..Ablation of cell division response by administration of colchicine, well after the initiation of renal injury from an ordinarily non-lethal dose of DCVC, leads to progression of ..
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORK CENTERHomer Boushey; Fiscal Year: 2002..published trials of the effects of regular use of a Beta-agonist in mild asthma("BAGS") and of the efficacy of colchicine as an alternate to an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) in moderate asthma...
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKEmily Dimango; Fiscal Year: 2002..published trials of the effects of regular use of a beta-agonist in mild asthma ( BAGS ) and of the efficacy of colchicine as an alternate to an inhaled corticosteroid (ICS) in moderate asthma...
- NEURONAL PERIKARYAL RESPONSES TO NEUROTOXIC CHEMICALSBRUCE GOLD; Fiscal Year: 1990..Furthermore, studies using colchicine will explore the possible role of retrogradely transported "trophic" signals in the initiation of this response...
- BRIDGEHEAD INTERMEDIATES IN SYNTHESISGeorge Kraus; Fiscal Year: 1991..The specific goals include 1) the synthesis of the potent antitumor agent shikodonin; 2) the synthesis of colchicine and a heteroatom analog...
- INTIMAL HYPERPLASIA IN ARTERIAL RECONSTRUCTIONSANTHONY IMPARATO; Fiscal Year: 1980..the development of fibromuscular intimal plaque has been studied by continued use of antimitotic drugs such as colchicine and cell counting at various stages of evolution of the plaques in arterial autographs and in endarterectomized ..
- ASTHMA CLINICAL RESEARCH NETWORKElliot Israel; Fiscal Year: 2002..use of a beta-agonist in subjects with mild asthma ( BAGS ) and of the efficacy of the anti-inflammatory agent, colchicine, as an alternate to an inhaled corticosteriod in moderate asthma...