Genomes and Genes
Summary: Linear furanocoumarins which are found in many PLANTS, especially UMBELLIFERAE and RUTACEAE, as well as PSORALEA from which they were originally discovered. They can intercalate DNA and, in an UV-initiated reaction of the furan portion, alkylate PYRIMIDINES, resulting in PHOTOSENSITIVITY DISORDERS.
Publications203 found, 100 shown here
- Effects of storage conditions on furocoumarin levels in intact, chopped, or homogenized parsnipsEdwin Ostertag
Chemisches und Veterinaruntersuchungsamt Karlsruhe, Weissenburger Strasse 3, D 76187 Karlsruhe, Germany
J Agric Food Chem 50:2565-70. 2002..41 mg/kg, suggesting that properly stored roots/preparations have been used. It is recommended that, after harvesting, parsnips be kept at -18 degrees C or under other conditions that prevent microbial infections...
- Psoralen derivatives and longwave ultraviolet irradiation are active in vitro against human melanoma cell lineVanessa Carneiro Leite
Physiological Sciences Department, Federal University of Goias, 74001 970 Goiania, Brazil
J Photochem Photobiol B 76:49-53. 2004..b>Psoralens are a group of compounds that bind to DNA in rapidly dividing cells and with ultraviolet light in the A band (..
- Diversification of furanocoumarin-metabolizing cytochrome P450 monooxygenases in two papilionids: Specificity and substrate encounter rateWeimin Li
Departments of Entomology and Cell and Structural Biology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100:14593-8. 2003..Further diversification of Papilio CYP6Bs has likely involved interspersed events of positive selection in oligophagous species and relaxation of functional constraints in polyphagous species...
- Anticonvulsant effects of four linear furanocoumarins, bergapten, imperatorin, oxypeucedanin, and xanthotoxin, in the mouse maximal electroshock-induced seizure model: a comparative studyJarogniew J Łuszczki
Department of Pathophysiology, Medical University of Lublin, Jaczewskiego 8, PL 20 950 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 62:1231-6. 2010....
- Furanocoumarin biosynthesis in Ammi majus L. Cloning of bergaptol O-methyltransferaseMarc Hehmann
Institut fur Pharmazeutische Biologie, Philipps Universitat Marburg, Germany
Eur J Biochem 271:932-40. 2004Plants belonging to the Apiaceae or Rutaceae accumulate methoxylated psoralens, such as bergapten or xanthotoxin, as the final products of their furanocoumarin biosynthesis, and the rate of accumulation depends on environmental and other ..
- Accumulation of gamma-globin mRNA in human erythroid cells treated with angelicinIlaria Lampronti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Eur J Haematol 71:189-95. 2003..Angelicin is structurally related to psoralens, a well-known chemical class of photosensitizers used for their antiproliferative activity in treatment of ..
- Isolation and functional characterization of CYP71AJ4 encoding for the first P450 monooxygenase of angular furanocoumarin biosynthesisRomain Larbat
UMR 1121 Nancy Université Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Agronomie Environnement Nancy Colmar, 2 Avenue de la Foret de Haye, 54505 Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Biol Chem 284:4776-85. 2009..Accordingly, CYP71AJ3 and CYP71AJ4 might be derived from a common ancestor of unknown functionality by gene duplication and subsequent molecular evolution...
- Increase in gamma-globin mRNA content in human erythroid cells treated with angelicin analogsIlaria Lampronti
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Ferrara, Via Fossato di Mortara, 74, 44100, Ferrara, Italy
Int J Hematol 90:318-27. 2009....
- Molecular cloning and functional characterization of psoralen synthase, the first committed monooxygenase of furanocoumarin biosynthesisRomain Larbat
UMR 1121 Agronomie Environment INPL INRA, ENSAIA, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
J Biol Chem 282:542-54. 2007..The studies suggested that several point mutations are necessary to pave the road toward angelicin synthase evolution...
- Trimethylangelicin reduces IL-8 transcription and potentiates CFTR functionAnna Tamanini
Laboratory of Molecular Pathology, Univ Hospital of Verona, Italy
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 300:L380-90. 2011..Finally, since psoralens have been shown to potentiate cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR)-mediated chloride ..
- Synthesis of pyrrolo[3,2-h]quinolinones with good photochemotherapeutic activity and no DNA damagePaola Barraja
Dipartimento Farmacochimico, Tossicologico e Biologico, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Via Archirafi 32, 90123 Palermo, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 18:4830-43. 2010..The mode of cellular death photoinduced by pyrrolo[3,2-h]quinolines was evaluated through a series of flow cytometric analysis and other tests were performed to clarify their mechanism of action...
- New insights on how nucleotide excision repair could remove DNA adducts induced by chemotherapeutic agents and psoralens plus UV-A (PUVA) in Escherichia coli cellsClaudia Lage
Laboratório de Radiobiologia Molecular, Instituto de Biofisica Carlos Chagas Filho, Bloco G, Centro de Ciencias da Saude, Universidade de Federal do Rio de Janeiro, 21949 900 Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Mutat Res 544:143-57. 2003..Additionally, psoralens plus UV-A (PUVA), which also induce ICL, find use in treatment of patients afflicted with psoriasis and vitiligo...
- Differentiation and apoptosis in UVA-irradiated cells treated with furocoumarin derivativesGiampietro Viola
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1171:334-44. 2009In this review we summarize the structure and biological effects of linear and angular psoralens. These compounds exhibit interesting biological effects on the cell cycle, apoptosis and differentiation...
- Efficacy of local psoralen ultraviolet A treatments in psoriasis, vitiligo and eczemaE Adisen
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:344-5. 2008
- A 2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenase from Ruta graveolens L. exhibits p-coumaroyl CoA 2'-hydroxylase activity (C2'H): a missing step in the synthesis of umbelliferone in plantsGuilhem Vialart
UMR 1121 Lorraine University, INRA Agronomie et Environnement Nancy Colmar, ENSAIA, 2 Avenue de la Foret de Haye, 54505 Vandœuvre Lès Nancy, France
Plant J 70:460-70. 2012..Psoralen, which is an important furanocoumarin in R. graveolens, was found to be a competitive inhibitor of the enzyme, and it may exert this effect through negative feedback on the enzyme at an upstream position in the pathway...
- Induction of gamma-globin mRNA, erythroid differentiation and apoptosis in UVA-irradiated human erythroid cells in the presence of furocumarin derivativesGiampietro Viola
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 5, 35131 Padova, Italy
Biochem Pharmacol 75:810-25. 2008b>Psoralens, also known as furocoumarins, are a class of photosensitizers largely used in the therapy of various skin diseases...
- Triple helix-directed psoralen crosslinks are recognized by Uvr(A)BC excinucleaseG Duval-Valentin
Laboratoire de Biophysique, Museum national d histoire naturelle, INSERM U201, CNRS UA 481, Paris, France
J Mol Biol 278:815-25. 1998....
- Transcription dependence of chromosomal gene targeting by triplex-forming oligonucleotidesMargaret A Macris
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06520 8040, USA
J Biol Chem 278:3357-62. 2003..These findings provide evidence that physiologic activity at a chromosomal target site can influence its accessibility to TFOs and suggest that gene targeting by small molecules may be most effective at highly expressed chromosomal loci...
- Psoralen-induced DNA adducts are substrates for the base excision repair pathway in human cellsSophie Couve-Privat
Group DNA repair, UMR 8126 of CNRS and Group FANC BRCA pathway and Cancer FRE2939 of CNRS, University of Paris South, Institute Gustave Roussy, Villejuif Cedex, F 94805, France
Nucleic Acids Res 35:5672-82. 2007..Furthermore, we demonstrate that bacterial homologues of NEIL1, the Fpg and Nei proteins, also excise MAs. New substrate specificity of the Fpg/Nei protein family provides an alternative repair pathway for ICLs and bulky DNA damage...
- Repair of 4,5',8-trimethylpsoralen monoadducts and cross-links by the Escherichia coli UvrABC endonucleaseB K Jones
Institute for Cancer Research, Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA 19111
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 85:8410-4. 1988..The incisions are not equally efficient. These data suggest that the structure of a psoralen cross-link, as seen by a repair enzyme, varies with the DNA sequence...
- Contribution of XPF functional domains to the 5' and 3' incisions produced at the site of a psoralen interstrand cross-linkKandallu R Kumaresan
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, UMDNJ New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
Biochemistry 41:890-6. 2002....
- Mutagenic response of Fanconi's anemia cells from a defined complementation group after treatment with photoactivated bifunctional psoralensD Papadopoulo
Section de Biologie, Institut Curie, UA 1292 CNRS, Paris, France
Cancer Res 50:3289-94. 1990..the hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase and Na+/K+ ATPase loci by photoaddition of two bifunctional psoralens was compared in normal and in Fanconi's anemia lymphoblasts from the genetic complementation group A...
- Cinnamic acid 4-hydroxylase mechanism-based inactivation by psoralen derivatives: cloning and characterization of a C4H from a psoralen producing plant-Ruta graveolens-exhibiting low sensitivity to psoralen inactivationAntoine Gravot
UMR 1121 Agronomie Environnement INPL INRA, ENSAIA 2, Av de la Forêt de Haye, 54505 Vandoeuvre Les Nancy Cedex, France
Arch Biochem Biophys 422:71-80. 2004..graveolens and P. crispum C4H that might tolerate substantial levels of psoralen derivatives in the cytoplasmic compartment without a depletive effect on C4H and the general phenylpropanoid metabolism...
- Differential response of linear and angular psoralens in PUVA-induced apoptosis in HL-60 cellsGiampietro Viola
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padua, Via Marzolo 5, 35131 Padua, Italy
Photochem Photobiol Sci 3:237-9. 2004Treatment of cells with UVA radiation in combination with linear psoralens induces a cell-cycle block and subsequent apoptosis, whereas angular derivatives produce apoptosis without affecting the cellular cycle.
- Quantitative determination of psoralen and angelicin from some medicinal herbs by high performance liquid chromatographyNguyen Thanh Dong
College of Pharmacy, Chungnam National University, Daejeon 305 764, Korea
Arch Pharm Res 26:516-20. 2003..The variation of the concentration of psoralen and angelicin was wide between different species. The seeds of Psoralea corylifolia showed the highest contents of psoralen (7.8 mg/g) and angelicin (2.3 mg/g) among the tested herbs...
- Mitochondrial alterations in fanconi anemia fibroblasts following ultraviolet A or psoralen photoactivationSolange Rousset
UMR 218 CNRS, Institut Curie Recherche, Paris, France
Photochem Photobiol 75:159-66. 2002..These data are indicative of some sort of membrane damage induced by 8-MOP photoreaction and UVA irradiation, to which FA cells appear to be particularly sensitive...
- Simultaneous determination of furanocoumarins in infusions and decoctions from "Carapiá" (dorstenia species) by high-performance liquid chromatographyCláudia A L Cardoso
Universidade Estadual de Mato Grosso do Sul, Rod Ithaum, km 12, 79804 970, Dourados MS, Brazil
J Agric Food Chem 50:1465-9. 2002..Dorstenia tubicina and D. asaroides contained psoralen and bergapten only in the rhizomes, whereas D. vitifolia shows solely isopimpinellin in both rhizomes and aerial parts...
- Pharmacokinetic and toxicology assessment of INTERCEPT (S-59 and UVA treated) plateletsV Ciaravi
Cerus Corporation, Concord, California 94520, USA
Hum Exp Toxicol 20:533-50. 2001..Thus, the results of an extensive series of in vitro and in vivo studies have not demonstrated any toxicologically relevant effects of platelet concentrates prepared by the INTERCEPT system...
- 6'7'-Dihydroxybergamottin contributes to the grapefruit juice effectShefali M Kakar
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 75:569-79. 2004..Our objective was to assess the contribution of 6',7'-dihydroxybergamottin (DHB) to the inhibitory effect of grapefruit juice toward intestinal cytochrome P450 (CYP) 3A4...
- Amino acids in SRS1 and SRS6 are critical for furanocoumarin metabolism by CYP6B1v1, a cytochrome P450 monooxygenaseJ S Chen
Department of Plant Biology, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Insect Mol Biol 11:175-86. 2002..Conservation of Phe116 and His117 in an array of lepidopteran CYP6B proteins implies that these amino acids serve a similar function in other monooxygenases of the insect CYP6B subfamily...
- Photosensitization and mutation induced in Escherichia coli and Saccharomyces cerevisiae strains by dorstenin, a psoralen analog isolated from Dorstenia bahiensisD Lopes
, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Planta Med 67:820-4. 2001..coli and S. cerevisiae and also in strains carrying mutations which affect DNA repair. Compared to the high activities of psoralen and bergapten, dorstenin showed lower genotoxic effect...
- Inactivation of cytomegalovirus in platelet concentrates using Helinx technologyL Lin
Biological Research Division, Cerus Corporation, Concord, CA 94520, USA
Semin Hematol 38:27-33. 2001..In conclusion, Helinx technology offers a potential alternative to selection of CMV-seronegative units and to leukocyte-reduction filtration as a means to decrease the risk of transfusion-acquired CMV infection...
- Preclinical safety of a nucleic acid-targeted Helinx compound: a clinical perspectiveV Ciaravino
Department of Preclinical Safety, Cerus Corporation, Concord, CA 94520, USA
Semin Hematol 38:12-9. 2001..The results of an extensive series of studies have thus demonstrated no toxicologically relevant effects of platelets treated with Helinx technology...
- Distribution of furanocoumarins in grapefruit juice fractionsJohn A Manthey
Citrus and Subtropical Products Laboratory, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Winter Haven, Florida 33881, USA
J Agric Food Chem 53:5158-63. 2005..MS analysis of this furanocoumarin-enriched fraction provided evidence of additional furanocoumarins in grapefruit juice that remain to be fully characterized and evaluated for their roles in the grapefruit-drug interactions...
- Furocoumarins from grapefruit juice and their effect on human CYP 3A4 and CYP 1B1 isoenzymesBasavaraj Girennavar
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Department of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 14:2606-12. 2006..56+/-0.72 microM for the benzyloxy resorufin (BROD). DHB and bergamottin showed considerable variations for EROD and BROD activities with an IC50 of 7.17 microM and 13.86 microM, respectively...
- [Determination of psoralen and isopsoralen in Psoralea corylifolia L. from different habitats]Jiaxin Ding
Institute of Chinese Medicine Basic Theory, China Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Beijing
Zhong Yao Cai 27:817-8. 2004..To study the psoralen and isopsoralen content in Psoralea corylifolia from different habitats...
- Inhibition of in-vitro simvastatin metabolism in rat liver microsomes by bergamottin, a component of grapefruit juiceN Le Goff-Klein
UMR CNRS 7034, Faculte de Pharmacie, Universite Louis Pasteur, Strasbourg, France
J Pharm Pharmacol 56:1007-14. 2004..The results highlight the importance of validating in-vitro models to help verify the suitability of the in-vitro model for predicting the nature and degree of metabolic drug interactions...
- A method for fast determination of psoralens in oral solutions of phytomedicines using liquid chromatographyAdriana Elias Pires
Departamento de Quimica, Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso do Sul, Caixa Postal 649, 79070 900 Campo Grande MS, Brazil
J Pharm Biomed Anal 36:415-20. 2004..0-600.0 microg ml(-1) and 1.0-400.0 microg ml(-1) respectively. The recoveries of the psoralens in the oral solutions analysed were 94.43-99.97%...
- Novel pyrone side tetracyclic psoralen derivatives: synthesis and photobiological evaluationLisa Dalla Via
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 5, 35131 Padova, Italy
J Med Chem 46:3800-10. 2003..AM1 calculations were also performed to gain further insight into the molecular basis of their photobiological behavior...
- Preparative isolation and purification of bergapten and imperatorin from the medicinal plant Cnidium monnieri using high-speed counter-current chromatography by stepwise increasing the flow-rate of the mobile phaseHua Bin Lia
Department of Botany, The University ofHong Kong, Pokfulam Road, Hong Kong, China
J Chromatogr A 1061:51-4. 2004..The method yielded 45.8 mg of bergapten at 96.5% purity and 118.3 mg of imperatorin at 98.2% purity from 500 mg of the crude extract in a single run. The recoveries of bergapten and imperatorin were 92.1 and 93.7%, respectively...
- Bergamottin, lime juice, and red wine as inhibitors of cytochrome P450 3A4 activity: comparison with grapefruit juiceDavid G Bailey
Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Centre, Ontario, Canada
Clin Pharmacol Ther 73:529-37. 2003..Our objective was to assess the importance of bergamottin in drug interactions through comparisons between grapefruit juice and lime juice and the potential for drug interactions with red wine...
- 2D NMR spectroscopic analyses of archangelicin from the seeds of Angelica archangelicaMelanie Muller
Phytopharmaceutical Research Laboratory, School of Pharmacy, The Robert Gordon University, Schoolhill, Aberdeen AB10 1FR, Scotland, UK
Acta Pharm 54:277-85. 2004..The results of comprehensive 2D NMR analyses of archangelicin are discussed...
- Identification of epoxybergamottin as a CYP3A4 inhibitor in grapefruit peelH Wangensteen
Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, University of Oslo, P O Box 1068 Blindern, N 0316, Oslo, Norway
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 58:663-8. 2003..Thus, the aim of this in vitro study was to identify CYP3A4 inhibitors in grapefruit peel...
- [Study on coumarin compounds from Exocarpium Citri Grandis]Zhixia Chen
Guangdong Provincial Institute for Drug Control, Guangzhou
Zhong Yao Cai 27:577-8. 2004..To study the coumarin compounds from Exocarpium Citri Grandis...
- Apoptosis in leukocytes induced by UVA in the presence of 8-methoxypsoralen, chlorpromazine or 4,6,4'-trimethylangelicinAgnieszka Wolnicka-Głubisz
Department of Biophysics, The Zurzycki Institute of Molecular Biology, Jagiellonian University, ul Gronostajowa 7, 30 387 Krakow, Poland
J Photochem Photobiol B 68:65-72. 2002..The results of the present study, combined with previous observations with the animal model for ECP, suggest that apoptosis is not likely to be a critical step in the cascade of events leading to immunosuppression...
- Inhibition of DNA polymerization and antifungal specificity of furanocoumarins present in traditional medicinesMyron L Smith
Biology Department, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Photochem Photobiol 79:506-9. 2004..Greater overall inhibition of DNA polymerization by Z. americanum husk extracts than with single or mixed furanocoumarins suggests that inhibitory compounds in addition to the major furanocoumarins are present in Z. americanum...
- Phototoxicity, distribution and kinetics of association of UVA-activated chlorpromazine, 8-methoxypsoralen, and 4,6,4'-trimethylangelicin in Jurkat cellsAgnieszka Wolnicka-Głubisz
Department of Biophysics, Faculty of Biotechnology, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland
J Photochem Photobiol B 78:155-64. 2005..A clear indication of photoinduced formation of reactive oxygen species and peroxidation of lipids was observed only in CPZ-sensitized cells, suggesting different mechanisms for phototoxicity mediated by CPZ and by the two furocoumarins...
- [Extraction of coumarins from Angelica dahurica by supercritical extraction and GC-MS analysis]Hong Mei Liu
Biochemical Engineering College of Beijing Union University, Beijing 100023, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 29:241-4. 2004..To extract coumarins from Angelica Dahurica by supercritical CO2...
- Inhibition of P-glycoprotein transport function by grapefruit juice psoralenE J Wang
Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics, Schering-Plough Research Institute, Lafayette, New Jersey 07848, USA
Pharm Res 18:432-8. 2001..Inhibition of P-gp by citrus psoralens could present ways both to enhance bioavailability of therapies without increasing the dose and to diminish drug ..
- The PSO4 gene is responsible for an error-prone recombinational DNA repair pathway in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeH H de Andrade
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Departamento de Genetica, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Mol Gen Genet 217:419-26. 1989..This indicates that the PSO4 gene is involved in an error-prone repair pathway which relies on a recombinational mechanism, strongly suggesting an analogy between the pso4-1 mutation and the RecA or LexA mutation of Escherichia coli...
- Chemical fingerprint and quantitative analysis of fructus psoraleae by high-performance liquid chromatographyChun Feng Qiao
Chinese Medicine Laboratory, Hong Kong Jockey Club Institute of Chinese Medicine, Shatin, Hong Kong, China
J Sep Sci 30:813-8. 2007..A more comprehensive analytical method was established for the fingerprint of Fructus Psoraleae. It is very useful for authentication and quality assessment of the crude drug...
- The increase in melanoma: are dietary furocoumarins responsible?Robert M Sayre
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38104, United States
Med Hypotheses 70:855-9. 2008..Retrospective studies of PUVA patients show significantly increased incidence of CM. Psoralens, and other furocoumarins, are phototoxic and photocarcinogenic, intercalate DNA and photochemically induce ..
- Site-directed gene mutation at mixed sequence targets by psoralen-conjugated pseudo-complementary peptide nucleic acidsKi Hyun Kim
Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, P O Box 208040, New Haven, CT 06520 8040, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 35:7604-13. 2007..These results identify pcPNAs as new tools for site-specific gene modification in mammalian cells without purine sequence restriction, thereby providing a general strategy for designing gene targeting molecules...
- Potent inhibition of human cytochrome P450 3A4, 2D6, and 2C9 isoenzymes by grapefruit juice and its furocoumarinsB Girennavar
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Dept of Horticultural Sciences, Texas A and M Univ, College Station TX 77843 2119, U S A
J Food Sci 72:C417-21. 2007..1 microM to 0.1 mM concentrations. The IC(50) value was lowest for paradisin A for CYP3A4 with 0.11 microM followed by DHB for CYP2C9 with 1.58 microM...
- [Determination of isoimperatorin and osthol in ganmao yixiaoshi capsule by RP-HPLC]Yue Shi
School of Life Sciences and Engineerng, Tsinghua University, Beijing 100084, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 29:950-2. 2004..To develop a method for the determination of isoimperatorin and osthol in Ganmao Yixiaoshi capsule by RP-HPLC...
- [Simultaneous determination of 5 active components in Fructus Cnidii by HPLC]De Xin Weng
Zhejiang Deqing No 3 People Hospital, Deqing 313201, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 32:1883-5. 2007..To develop an RP-HPLC method for simultaneous determination of 5 constituents in Fructus Cnidii...
- Identification of Ruta graveolens L. metabolites accumulated in the presence of abiotic elicitorsAleksandra Orlita
Faculty of Chemistry, University of Gdansk, PL 80 952 Gdansk, ul Sobieskiego 18, Gdansk, Poland
Biotechnol Prog 24:128-33. 2008..The use of saccharin also increased the production of bergapten, isopimpinelin, pinnarin, psoralen, and xanthotoxin several times...
- Determination of bergamottin in human plasma after grapefruit juice ingestion by an UPLC/MS/MS methodY Uesawa
Clinical Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutics, Meiji Pharmaceutical University, 2 522 1 Noshio, Kiyose, Tokyo 204 8588, Japan
Pharmazie 63:110-2. 2008..In conclusion, we succeeded high performance bergamottin-determination in human plasma after grapefruit juice ingestion. The procedure can be usefulto clarify pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic characteristics of bergamottin...
- Further characterization of a furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice on drug disposition: studies with cyclosporineMary F Paine
School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7360, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 87:863-71. 2008..It remains unclear whether furanocoumarins mediate drug-GFJ interactions involving CYP3A4 substrates that are also P-glycoprotein substrates...
- Rapid identification of some coumarin derivatives in deterpenated citrus peel oil by gas chromatographyD Chouchi
, , Nancy, France
J Chromatogr A 672:177-83. 1994..Terpeneless oils are used in perfumes and cosmetics, so it is important to be able to establish rapidly if they contain phototoxic compounds...
- Furocoumarins photolysis products induce differentiation of human erythroid cellsGiampietro Viola
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 5, University of Padova, 35131 Padova, Italy
J Photochem Photobiol B 92:24-8. 2008b>Psoralens, also known as furocoumarins, are a well-known class of photosensitizers largely used in the therapy of various skin disease...
- Isolation and identification of insecticidal components from Citrus aurantium fruit peel extractElias P Siskos
Chemical Ecology and Natural Products Laboratory, NCSR Demokritos, 150 13 Aghia Paraskevi, Attikis, Greece
J Agric Food Chem 56:5577-81. 2008..6',7'-Epoxybergamottin was toxic when tested individually, while bergapten and osthol were found to act synergistically to 6',7'-epoxybergamottin...
- 4,5-Dimethylangelicin effects on lymphocytes with and without UV-radiationW Gast
Department of Dermatology, School of Medicine, Karl Marx, University of Leipzig, GDR
Farmaco Sci 42:185-90. 1987..These findings suggest different action mechanisms on cytoplasma membranes and intracellular structures of lymphocytes by different furocoumarins...
- Coumarin, anthroquinone and stilbene derivatives with anticholinesterase activityIlkay Orhan
Department of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Gazi University, 06330 Ankara, Turkey
Z Naturforsch C 63:366-70. 2008..3 +/- 0.23)%], 4-methylumbelliferone [(80.9 +/- 1.17)%], scopoletin [(73.5 +/- 1.01)%], 8-methoxypsoralen [(67.1 +/- 0.98)%], as well as the furanocoumarin mixture [(76.7 +/- 0.95)%] had a notable anti-BChE effect...
- A bioassay using the human hepatoblastoma cell line HepG2 for detecting phototoxicity of furocoumarinsM Colombain
Laboratoire de Pharmacognosie, , , place Saint-Jacques, , France
Planta Med 67:644-6. 2001..This easy-to-perform, miniaturised, quantitative and sensitive method could therefore be used as a primary screening test for phototoxicity of a large number of compounds and plant extracts...
- PSO4: a novel gene involved in error-prone repair in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeJ A Henriques
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Departamento de Fisiologia, Farmacologia e Bioquímica, RS, Brasil
Mutat Res 218:111-24. 1989..coli SOS repair pathway...
- Antimicrobial activity of the methanolic extracts and compounds from Treculia obovoidea (Moraceae)Victor Kuete
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Yaounde I, P O Box 812, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Ethnopharmacol 112:531-6. 2007..The obtained results provide promising baseline information for the potential use of these crude extract as well as some of the isolated compounds in the treatment of bacterial and fungal infections...
- Radical scavenging and cytochrome P450 3A4 inhibitory activity of bergaptol and geranylcoumarin from grapefruitBasavaraj Girennavar
Vegetable and Fruit Improvement Center, Department of Horticultural Sciences, 2119, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843 2119, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 15:3684-91. 2007..Bergaptol and geranylcoumarin were found to be potent inhibitors of debenzylation activity of CYP3A4 enzyme with an IC(50) value of 24.92 and 42.93 microM, respectively...
- gamma-H2AX formation in response to interstrand crosslinks requires XPF in human cellsSeiki Mogi
Department of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, USA
DNA Repair (Amst) 5:731-40. 2006..Furthermore, XPA may be important to allow psoralen interstrand crosslinks to be processed without forming a double strand break intermediate...
- Molecular docking of substrates and inhibitors in the catalytic site of CYP6B1, an insect cytochrome p450 monooxygenaseJerome Baudry
School of Chemical Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 190 ERML, 1201 West Gregory Drive, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Protein Eng 16:577-87. 2003....
- A method for quantitative determination of furanocoumarins in capsules and tablets of phytochemical preparationsClaudia Andréa Lima Cardoso
Curso de Química, Universidade Estadual de Mato Grosso do Sul, Dourados MS, Brazil
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:442-7. 2006..3-99.5%, and the percent coefficient of variation for the quantitative analysis of the furanocoumarins in the analyses was under 5%. For inter-equipment study gas chromatography (GC) was employed...
- A furanocoumarin-free grapefruit juice establishes furanocoumarins as the mediators of the grapefruit juice-felodipine interactionMary F Paine
Division of Pharmacotherapy and Experimental Therapeutics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 83:1097-105. 2006..Furanocoumarins have been identified as major CYP3A4 inhibitors contained in the juice, but their contribution to the GFJ effect in vivo remains unclear...
- Variation of flavonoids and furanocoumarins in grapefruit juices: a potential source of variability in grapefruit juice-drug interaction studiesWhocely Victor De Castro
Department of Pharmaceutics, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, P O BOX 100494, Gainesville, Florida 32610 0494, USA
J Agric Food Chem 54:249-55. 2006..The concentration of potentially contributing compounds may crucially influence the magnitude of observed interaction and impair direct comparison of studies in which different juices have been used...
- The use of heat treatment to eliminate drug interactions due to grapefruit juiceYoshihiro Uesawa
Clinical Pharmaceutics Laboratory, Department of Pharmaceutics, Meiji Pharmaceutical University, Kiyose, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 29:2274-8. 2006..No significant increase in the AUC of NFP was observed in the rats given heat-treated GJ. These results suggest that the heat treatment of GJ reduces the concentrations of FCs, thus eliminating the potential for drug interactions...
- Reproducible and inexpensive probe preparation for oligonucleotide arraysY Zhang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Nucleic Acids Res 29:E66-6. 2001..Validation of this protocol is demonstrated by hybridizing PCR products with oligonucleotide-coated microspheres and PCR amplified cDNA with Affymetrix Cancer GeneChip microarrays...
- Can dietary furanocoumarin ingestion enhance the erythemal response during high-dose UVA1 therapy?Paula E Beattie
Photobiology Unit, Dermatology Department, University of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, United Kingdom
J Am Acad Dermatol 56:84-7. 2007..Threshold erythema was unaffected by ingestion of a 200-g portion of parsnip...
- [Comparation of constitutions between raw Psoralea corylifolia L. and processed one]Yan hua Guo
Department of Pharmaceutical College of Liaoning Traditional Chinese Medicine, Shenyang 110032, China
Zhong Yao Cai 29:1142-4. 2006..To study the processing material foundation of Psoralea corylfolia L. and compare the content of psoralen, isopsoralen and microelement between raw Psoralea corylifolia L. and processed one...
- [Analysis of coumarins in Fructus Cnidii by HPLC-ESI-MS]Ying qiao Jiang
Guangzhou Institute for Drug Control, Guangzhou 510160, China
Zhong Yao Cai 29:1033-5. 2006..To analyze coumarins in Fructus Cnidii by HPLC-ESI-MS...
- [Studies on chemical constituents from fruits of Paliurus ramosissimus]Lei Yu
Key Laboratory of Bioactive Substances and Resources Utilization of Chinese Herbal Medicine, Ministry of Education, Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China
Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 31:2049-52. 2006..To study the chemical constituents from the fruits of Paliurus ramosissimus...
- [Determination of coumarins content in Radix Angelicae dahuricae by HPLC and UV]Mengyue Wang
School of Pharmacy, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai
Zhong Yao Cai 27:826-8. 2004..To determine the coumarins content in Radix Angelicae Dahuricae (Baizhi)...
- Seville orange juice-felodipine interaction: comparison with dilute grapefruit juice and involvement of furocoumarinsS Malhotra
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 69:14-23. 2001....
- Novel therapies for psoriasisJennifer Cather
Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
Am J Clin Dermatol 3:159-73. 2002..vitamin D(3), and retinoid derivatives), either singly, in combination, or with ultraviolet B (UVB) or psoralens and ultraviolet A (PUVA) therapy, the role of systemic medications has assumed greater prominence...
- The Schnitzler syndrome. Four new cases and review of the literatureD Lipsker
Clinique Dermatologique, Hopitaux Universitaires, Strasbourg, France
Medicine (Baltimore) 80:37-44. 2001..is unresponsive to treatment, and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, antihistamines, dapsone, colchicine, and psoralens and ultraviolet A (PUVA) therapy give inconstant results...
- Further phenotypic characterization of pso mutants of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with respect to DNA repair and response to oxidative stressCristina Pungartnik
Departamento de Biofisica Centro de Biotecnologia, UFRGS, Av Bento Goncalves, 9500, 91507 970 Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
Genet Mol Res 1:79-89. 2002..The first three PSO genes of the DNA repair group and PSO3, apart from being sensitive to photo-activated psoralens, have another common phenotype: they are also involved in error-prone DNA repair...
- Clinically significant pharmacokinetic interactions between dietary caffeine and medicationsJ A Carrillo
Department of Pharmacology and Psychiatry, Medical School, University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain
Clin Pharmacokinet 39:127-53. 2000..reuptake inhibitors (particularly fluvoxamine), antiarrhythmics (mexiletine), antipsychotics (clozapine), psoralens, idrocilamide and phenylpropanolamine, bronchodilators (furafylline and theophylline) and quinolones (enoxacin), ..
- Common pigmentation disordersScott Plensdorf
McLaren Family Practice Residency Program, MI, USA
Am Fam Physician 79:109-16. 2009..or generalized vitiligo may include cosmetic coverage, psoralen ultraviolet A-range therapy (with or without psoralens), or narrow-band ultraviolet-B therapy; whereas those with stable, limited disease may be candidates for ..
- Skin pigmentation enhancersD A Brown
AGI Dermatics, 205 Buffalo Avenue, Freeport, NY 11520, USA
J Photochem Photobiol B 63:148-61. 2001..pigmentation: dihydroxyacetone and melanins; and substances that stimulate the natural pigmentation process: psoralens with UVA (PUVA), dimethylsulfoxide (DMSO), L-tyrosine, L-Dopa, lysosomotropic agents, diacylglycerols, thymidine ..
- UV irradiation affects melanocyte stimulatory activity and protein binding of piperineAmala Soumyanath
Department of Pharmacy, King s College London, Franklin Wilkins Building, 150 Stamford Street, London SE1 9NN, UK
Photochem Photobiol 82:1541-8. 2006..This is unlike the situation with psoralens, which form DNA adducts when administered with UVA in treating skin diseases...
- Photoactivatable antisense DNA: suppression of ampicillin resistance in normally resistant Escherichia coliF P Gasparro
Department of Dermatology, Yale University, New Haven, CT 06510
Antisense Res Dev 1:117-40. 1991..Irradiation of oligonucleotides and psoralens with long-wavelength ultraviolet radiation (380-400 nm) produced monoadducted antisense molecules...
- Psoralens percutaneous permeation across the human whole skin and the epidermis in respect to their polarity (in vitro study)A Said
Laboratoire de Pharmacie Galenique, Faculte de Medecine et de Pharmacie, Besancon, France
J Dermatol Sci 14:136-44. 1997..choice of the suitable drug(s) for topical applications, with appropriate dosage, percutaneous permeation of the psoralens, in connection with their solubilities and partition coefficients in an octanol/water system, were investigated...
- Spatial distribution of 8-methoxypsoralen penetration into human skin after systemic or topical administrationMarcella Grundmann-Kollmann
Department of Dermatology, Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt Main, Germany
Br J Clin Pharmacol 54:535-9. 2002Photochemotherapy employing psoralens combined with UVA irradiation (PUVA) is a standard therapy for a variety of dermatoses. Psoralens can be administered orally or topically in the form of bath or cream preparations...
- Elimination of cytokine production in stored platelet concentrate aliquots by photochemical treatment with psoralen plus ultraviolet A lightD J Hei
Cerus Corp, Concord, California 94520, USA
Transfusion 39:239-48. 1999..methods of white cell inactivation were compared for their ability to reduce cytokine synthesis in pooled random-donor PC aliquots: treatment with gamma-radiation and photochemical treatment (PCT) using psoralens and ultraviolet A light.
- Antipsoriatic, erythematogenic, and Langerhans cell marker depleting effect of bath-psoralens plus ultraviolet A treatment. Comparison of 8-methoxypsoralen and trimethylpsoralen photosensitizationL M Koulu
Department of Dermatology, University of Turku, Finland
J Am Acad Dermatol 18:1053-9. 1988Successful results have been reported for bath-psoralens plus ultraviolet A (PUVA) treatment of psoriasis with the use of either a low-sensitizing psoralen (methoxsalen) or a high-sensitizing psoralen (trioxsalen), but no evidence has ..
- The application of antioxidants in investigations and optimization of photochemotherapyA Y Potapenko
Russian State Medical University, Moscow
Membr Cell Biol 12:269-78. 1998b>Psoralens (furocoumarins) are photosensitizers of plant origin...
- Serum 5-S-cysteinyldopa levels in patients with psoriasis undergoing narrowband ultraviolet B phototherapyK Kikuchi
Department of Dermatology, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Exp Dermatol 33:750-3. 2008..Narrowband UVB (NB-UVB), a relatively new light source that is not yet widely available, is effective for treating generalized psoriasis without the use of psoralens.
- Inactivation of leukocytes in platelet concentrates by photochemical treatment with psoralen plus UVAJ A Grass
Cerus Corp, Concord, CA 94520, USA
Blood 91:2180-8. 1998..Three psoralens, 8-methoxypsoralen (8-MOP), 4'-aminomethyl 4,5', 8-trimethylpsoralen (AMT), and the novel psoralen S-59, were ..
- UVA-induced phenoxyl radical formation: A new cytotoxic principle in photodynamic therapyChristine M Volkmar
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hand Surgery, and Burn Center, Medical Faculty, RWTH Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Free Radic Biol Med 49:1129-37. 2010b>Psoralens are regularly used in therapy in combination with ultraviolet A light irradiation (PUVA) to treat skin diseases such as psoriasis, vitiligo, and mycosis fungoides...
- LC-MS for the identification of oxygen heterocyclic compounds in citrus essential oilsP Dugo
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica e Biologica, Facolta di Scienze, Universita di Messina, Italy
J Pharm Biomed Anal 24:147-54. 2000The oxygen heterocyclic compounds (coumarins, psoralens and polymethoxylated flavones) present in the nonvolatile residue of the essential oils of Mandarin, Sweet Orange, Bitter Orange, Bergamot and Grapefruit were analysed with an HPLC/..
- Severe hepatotoxicity by Indian Ayurvedic herbal products: a structured causality assessmentRolf Teschke
Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Frankfurt Main and University of Duesseldorf, Germany
Ann Hepatol 8:258-66. 2009..a probable causality (+8 points) for Bakuchi tablets containing extracts from Psoralea corylifolia leaves with psoralens as ingredients, as the primary candidate causing the hepatotoxic reaction...
- 4'-Aminomethyl-4,5',8-trimethylpsoralen photochemistry: the effect of concentration and UVA fluence on photoadduct formation in poly(dA-dT) and calf thymus DNAA Oroskar
Center for Mechanistic Biology and Biotechnology, Argonne National Laboratory, IL 60439
Photochem Photobiol 60:567-73. 1994..Thus, for AMT, DNA base pair sites other than 5'TA, the well-characterized strong binding for psoralens in general, are an additional target for photomodification, which results in the formation of a higher ..
- Psoralens: novel modulators of Cl- secretionD C Devor
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
Am J Physiol 272:C976-88. 1997We evaluated effects of psoralens on Cl- secretion (short-circuit current, I(sc)) across T84 monolayers. Methoxsalen failed to increase I(sc)...
- The contribution of DNA interstrand crosslinks to agingLAURA JANE NIEDERNHOFER; Fiscal Year: 2010..ERCCl-XPF-deficient cells will be exposed to 8-MOP or angelicin, plant-derived psoralens. Photoactivation of 8-MOP induces ICLs and monoadducts, whereas angelicin produces only monoadducts...
- The contribution of DNA interstrand crosslinks to agingLAURA JANE NIEDERNHOFER; Fiscal Year: 2010..ERCCl-XPF-deficient cells will be exposed to 8-MOP or angelicin, plant-derived psoralens. Photoactivation of 8-MOP induces ICLs and monoadducts, whereas angelicin produces only monoadducts...
- Listeria-CEA Vaccine-Infected DC for Cancer TherapyDirk Brockstedt; Fiscal Year: 2004..We have also engineered Listeria to be exquisitely sensitive to inactivation by psoralens, a group of compounds that form irreversible cross-links in the genomes of bacteria after illumination with ..
- ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSEDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2002..The in vitro model, if validated, has the potential to provide clinically important information on interactions involving HIV treatments and abusable drugs, at relatively low cost and with no human drug exposure. ..
- MDR1 and Related Proteins during HIV PI ExposureDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005..The findings will be of importance in understanding lipid disorders related to PIs as well as the kinetics of drugs used to treat HIV and related disorders. ..
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 1992..The proposed studies will provide a broad picture of effects of chronic benzodiazepines at the molecular level, together with evaluation of interventions that have direct relevance to prevention of benzodiazepine withdrawal...
- Rapid quantitation of residual WBCs in filtered bloodJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- Allogeneic BMT and adoptive antiviral immunotherapyJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2005..Furthermore, these investigations will provide an improved understanding of the defects that render allogeneic HPCT recipients susceptible to lethal infections. ..
- Vaccine-enhanced DLI to prevent cancer recurrence after stem cell transplantationJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- Automated high-throughput detection anti-HLA antibodiesJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2006..This application proposes to develop a test that could be used to screen blood donors for these antibodies, thus preventing TRALI and improving patient outcomes. ..
- Adverse effects of RBC transfusions: A unifying hypothesisJohn D Roback; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, transfusions are associated with adverse effects. These studies will seek to determine why adverse outcomes happen after transfusion, and develop ways to improve blood collection and storage to minimize these outcomes. ..
- Adverse effects of RBC transfusions: A unifying hypothesisJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, transfusions are associated with adverse effects. These studies will seek to determine why adverse outcomes happen after transfusion, and develop ways to improve blood collection and storage to minimize these outcomes. ..
- NOVEL DEVICES FOR RAPID BLOOD COMPATIBILITY TESTINGJohn Roback; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results of the multi-center trial (to be completed during Phase Ill) will lead to an FDA 510(k) application. ..
- Mechanisms Underlying Drug-Diet InteractionsMARY PAINE; Fiscal Year: 2009..The knowledge gained will provide critical information to both clinicians and the lay public as to whether specific dietary substances can be taken safely with certain medications. ..
- Anti-Trypanosomal Agents from a Neotropical CloudforestWILLIAM SETZER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The long-term benefit of this research project is the development of new medicines to treat patients with Chagas disease. ..
- CHRONIC BENZODIAZEPINES: BEHAVIOR AND NEUROCHEMISTRYDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Metabolic Consequences of HAART: CYP3A and P-gpDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..This multidisciplinary proposal provides a clinical and scientific basis to assess the effects of currently available as well as experimental HAART medications on human CYP3A and P-gp. ..
- NOVEL APPROACHES TO IMPROVE AND EXTEND PLATELET STORAGESherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- CYP3A Function in Aging AfricanAmericansDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2006..This study should provide important mechanistic information on the role of age, gender, and ethnicity as sources of variability in CYP3A-mediated drug metabolism and response. ..
- TRANSFUSION MEDICINE/HEMOSTASIS TRAIL SITE AT PSBCSherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2007..We are still working with the Hemophilia specialist (Dr. Dana Matthews) at our Childrens Hospital to determine if she is willing to enroll patients in the RICH trial. PUGET SOUND BLOOD CENTER CRITIQUES ..
- HAART Regimens in Substance AbusersDavid Greenblatt; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- SICKLE RBC, INTERMITTENT HYPOXIA AND VASCULAR PATHOLOGYFRANS KUYPERS; Fiscal Year: 2003..Together, our results may indicate novel treatment regiments in the management of SCD. ..
- BIOLOGIC AND IMMUNOLOGIC ASPECTS OF TRANSFUSION MEDICINESherrill Slichter; Fiscal Year: 2007..End of Abstract) ..