Summary: A tricyclic antidepressant with some tranquilizing action.
- Relative toxicity of venlafaxine and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in overdose compared to tricyclic antidepressantsI M Whyte
School of Population Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Newcastle, and Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Newcastle Mater Misericordiae Hospital, NSW, Australia
QJM 96:369-74. 2003Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and venlafaxine have been regarded as less toxic in overdose than tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs). Within the TCAs, dothiepin has greater toxicity. Venlafaxine may be more toxic than SSRIs.
- Electrocardiographic dose-dependent changes in prophylactic doses of dosulepine, lithium and citalopramI Paclt
Department of Psychiatry, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 52:311-7. 2003..The repolarization BSPM changes were most pronounced in SSRI patients. Lithium in long-term prophylaxy (1-22 years) caused only minimal ECG BSPM changes. The present results correspond with our previous observations...
- Kinetic spectrophotometric methods for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride in bulk and in drug formulationElham A Taha
National Organization for Drug Control and Research, Giza, Egypt
Anal Bioanal Chem 376:1131-6. 2003Two simple and sensitive kinetic methods for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride are described...
- Dothiepin dependence syndromeGurvinder Pal Singh
Indian J Med Sci 58:253-4. 2004
- Abuse of dosulepin to induce maniaPeter Lepping
North Wales Section of of Psychological Medicine, University of Wales Academic Unit, Wrexham, Wales
Addiction 102:1166-7. 2007..Tricyclic antidepressants sometimes trigger mania in bipolar patients, but little is known about their potential for abuse in this regard...
- A comparative study of acute and subchronic effects of dothiepin, fluoxetine and placebo on psychomotor and actual driving performanceJ G Ramaekers
Institute for Human Psychopharmacology, Maastricht, The Netherlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 39:397-404. 19951. The acute and subchronic effects of dothiepin 75-150 mg and fluoxetine 20 mg on critical fusion frequency (CFF), sustained attention and actual driving performance were compared with those of placebo in a double-blind, cross-over ..
- The drug treatment of depression in general practice: a comparison of nocte administration of trazodone with mianserin, dothiepin and amitriptylineR Blacker
St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 95:S18-24. 1988..as an initial and maintenance therapy and to compare this regimen with recommended dosages of mianserin, dothiepin and amitriptyline in the treatment of depressed, adult, general practice patients...
- Cost utility of maintenance treatment of recurrent depression with sertraline versus episodic treatment with dothiepinE J Hatziandreu
Battelle Medical Technology Assessment and Policy MEDTAP Research Centers, Washington, DC
Pharmacoeconomics 5:249-68. 1994..the cost-utility of maintenance therapy with sertraline compared with treatment of acute episodes with dothiepin ('episodic treatment')...
- The effects of dothiepin on subjects with rheumatoid arthritis and depressionG Ash
Department of Psychiatry, Ormskirk and District General Hospital, Wigan Road, Ormskirk, Lancashire L39 2AZ, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 38:959-67. 1999..The relative importance of direct analgesic and antidepressant effects of antidepressant drugs in rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is not clear...
- Fatal intoxication due to dothiepinT Keller
Institute of Forensic Medicine, Paris Lodron University, Ignaz Harrer Str 79, 5020, Salzburg, Austria
Forensic Sci Int 109:159-66. 2000An ingestion of an unknown quantity of Harmomed (dothiepin and diazepam) capsules in a suicide is described. The authors report a new and fast method of analysing and determining the dothiepin concentration in postmortem specimens...
- Effects of fluoxetine and dothiepin on 24-hour activity in depressed patientsN Stanley
Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK
Neuropsychobiology 39:44-8. 1999..utility of actigraphy in this patient population and to investigate possible differences between fluoxetine and dothiepin in their effects on 24-hour behavioural activity monitored for the first 10 days of treatment...
- Effects of fluvoxamine and dothiepin on psychomotor abilities in healthy volunteersD B Fairweather
Human Psychopharmacology Research Unit, University of Surrey, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 53:265-9. 1996We gave 12 healthy male volunteers single doses of 50 mg fluvoxamine, 100 mg fluvoxamine, 75 mg dothiepin, and placebo in a double-blind crossover study...
- Effect of dothiepin on gastric ulceration mediated by lipid derived eicosanoidsT Sen
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India
Life Sci 66:PL325-30. 2000b>Dothiepin, a tricyclic antidepressant, significantly inhibited the development of gastric ulcers induced by alcohol, aspirin, indomethacin and Shay's pyloric ligation...
- Greater toxicity in overdose of dothiepin than of other tricyclic antidepressantsN A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Mater Misericordlae Hospital, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Lancet 343:159-62. 1994Epidemiological studies have implicated dothiepin in a greater number of self-poisoning deaths than would be expected from its use...
- Risk of suicide during treatment with venlafaxine, citalopram, fluoxetine, and dothiepin: retrospective cohort studyAnnalisa Rubino
RTI Health Solutions, Manchester Science Park, Manchester M15 6SE
BMJ 334:242. 2007To compare the risk of suicide in adults using the antidepressant venlafaxine compared with citalopram, fluoxetine, and dothiepin.
- A double-blind, placebo-controlled comparison of sertraline and dothiepin in the treatment of major depression in general practiceD P Doogan
Medical Department, Pfizer Ltd, Sandwich, Kent, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 9:95-100. 1994..practice patients with DSM-III-R major depressive disorder, sertraline (50 or 100 mg/day) was compared with dothiepin (75 or 150 mg/day) and with placebo...
- A comparison of dothiepin versus placebo in the treatment of pain in rheumatoid arthritis and the association of pain with depressionP Sarzi Puttini
Rheumatology Service, L Sacco Hospital, Milan, Italy
J Int Med Res 16:331-7. 1988The effectiveness of dothiepin (a tricyclic anti-depressant) at a dose of 75 mg given orally at night was compared with placebo for 4 weeks in alleviating pain in 60 patients with classical or definite active rheumatoid arthritis...
- Plasma concentrations of dothiepin and its metabolites are not correlated with clinical efficacy in major depressive illnessK F Ilett
Combined Unit in Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Western Australia State Health Laboratory Services, Nedlands
Ther Drug Monit 15:351-7. 1993Plasma concentration-antidepressant response relationships for dothiepin, nordothiepin, dothiepin-S-oxide, and nordothiepin-S-oxide were investigated in 50 patients (33 women and 17 men), who had had a major depressive episode...
- Effects of ECT-dothiepin combination on learning in ratsM Krishnamurthy
Department of Pharmacology, St John s Medical College, Bangalore, India
Indian J Exp Biol 31:831-3. 1993..In the present study, therefore, the effects of electro-convulsive shocks (ECS) and dothiepin, separately and in combination, were studied in an animal model employing a complex maze operant learning ..
- A double-blind comparative study of alprazolam and dothiepin hydrochloride in the treatment of anxiety associated with depressionM Cropper
Community Psychiatric Nursing Service, Crawley, England
Pharmatherapeutica 5:76-82. 1987..multi-centre, randomized, double-blind study comparing the response to, and the side-effects of, alprazolam and dothiepin hydrochloride over 4 weeks of treatment. Mean daily doses were 2.33 mg alprazolam and 115 mg dothiepin...
- Effect of dothiepin on nociceptive response in diabetic ratsM A Rani
Department of Pharmacology, St John s Medical College, Bangalore
Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 36:93-6. 1992..25), indicating hypoalgesia. Intraperitoneal dothiepin, injections of 25 mg & 50 mg/kg body weight per day did not significantly alter the TFRT, either in control ..
- A double-blind, randomized, 26-week study comparing the cognitive and psychomotor effects and efficacy of 75 mg (37.5 mg b.i.d.) venlafaxine and 75 mg (25 mg mane, 50 mg nocte) dothiepin in elderly patients with moderate major depression being treated in Leanne Trick
HPRU Medical Research Centre, University of Surrey, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, UK
J Psychopharmacol 18:205-14. 2004To investigate the efficacy and cognitive and psychomotor effects of venlafaxine and dothiepin in elderly patients with moderate major depression...
- [Dispersion of QT intervals--a myth or a diagnostic symptom?]O Kittnar
Fyziologický ustav 1 LF UK, Praha
Cas Lek Cesk 143:604-7. 2004..In the presented study we have followed the QTd in two groups of patients with proved changes of an electric heart field...
- Images in cardiovascular medicine. Tricyclic cardiotoxicity treated with sodium bicarbonateCandice Y Y Chan
Scottish Poisons Information Bureau, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, 51 Little France Crescent, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH16 4SA
Circulation 115:e63-4. 2007
- Myocardial infarction: a rare complication of dothiepin overdoseBasant Arya
Int J Cardiol 96:493-4. 2004
- Antidepressants and suicide: a commentary on a significant contribution to this debateRobert D Goldney
University of Adelaide, Australia
Crisis 26:97-8. 2005
- [Transitory acute psychosis with serotoninergic syndrome at the time of an intoxication by dosulepin associated with doxylamine and ethanol]Hafid Belhadj-Tahar
Therapie 61:540-3. 2006
- Plasma levels of dosulepine and heart electric fieldE Kitzlerova
Department of Psychiatry, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 52:319-25. 2003..Repeatedly recorded changes in the heart electric field were dosulepine-specific and dependent on its plasma levels...
- Antidepressants and the risk of suicidal behaviorsHershel Jick
Boston Collaborative Drug Surveillance Program, Boston University School of Medicine, Lexington, Mass 02421, USA
JAMA 292:338-43. 2004..The use of such drugs among teenagers has been of particular concern...
- Accountability and medicinal products 2: civil lawBridgit Dimond
University of Glamorgan, UK
Br J Nurs 13:217-9. 2004..He gave her an antidepressant, dothiepin, which is for severe depression and should not be used with Prozac...
- Antidepressants and the risk of suicidal behaviorsCorrado Barbui
JAMA 292:2833; author reply 2833. 2004
- The limited utility of electrocardiography variables used to predict arrhythmia in psychotropic drug overdoseNicholas A Buckley
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, The Canberra Hospital, Australia
Crit Care 7:R101-7. 2003..The aim of the present study was to examine the relationship between serious arrhythmias in patients with psychotropic drug overdose and electrocardiography (ECG) findings that have been suggested previously to predict this complication...
- A randomised controlled trial to compare the cost-effectiveness of tricyclic antidepressants, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and lofepramineR Peveler
University of Southampton, Royal South Hants Hospital, Southampton, UK
Health Technol Assess 9:1-134, iii. 2005....
- Tianeptine: a review of its use in depressive disordersA J Wagstaff
Adis International Limited, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand
CNS Drugs 15:231-59. 2001..Comparison with maprotiline indicated superior efficacy for tianeptine but dothiepin appeared superior in another study...
- Screening and semi-quantitative analysis of post mortem blood for basic drugs using gas chromatography/ion trap mass spectrometrySue Paterson
Toxicology Unit, Imperial College London, St Dunstan s Road, London W6 8RP, UK
J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci 813:323-30. 2004..which were semi-quantitated (amitriptyline, citalopram, clozapine, cocaine, cyclizine, diazepam, dihydrocodeine, dothiepin, methadone, mirtazapine, procyclidine, sertraline, tramadol, venlafaxine) were prepared covering the ..
- Use of neostigmine for the management of drug induced ileus in severe poisoningsBetty Chan
Departments of Clinical Toxicology, Prince of Wales Hospital and Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
J Med Toxicol 1:18-22. 2005..We present two poisoning cases in which neostigmine was used to facilitate gut decontamination complicated by ileus...
- [50 years of the Institute for Research in Pharmacy and Biochemistry]V Trcka
Ceska Slov Farm 52:107-14. 2003..Some of these original substances got into foreign markets, particularly Prothiaden and Trimepranol represented important exports. In addition, 83 non-proprietary drugs were introduced into the inland market...
- Distribution of antidepressants between plasma and red blood cellsZdenek Fisar
Department of Psychiatry, 1st Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 27:307-13. 2006..The distribution of different antidepressants between plasma and red blood cells (RBCs) or between water and erythrocyte membranes (ghosts) has not been sufficiently compared so far...
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors versus tricyclic antidepressants: a meta-analysis of efficacy and tolerabilityI M Anderson
Neuroscience and Psychiatry Unit, Room G809, Stopford Building, University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, UK
J Affect Disord 58:19-36. 2000..A meta-analysis of the efficacy and tolerability of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) against tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) in depressed patients was carried out...
- Lofepramine in the elderlyB M Pitt
St Mary s Hospital, London, England
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 3:49-54. 1988..Justifiably popular though dothiepin is in the treatment of depression in the elderly, its fatal toxicity index is high...
- Meta-analytical studies on new antidepressantsI M Anderson
Neuroscience and Psychiatry Unit, School of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Manchester, UK
Br Med Bull 57:161-78. 2001..between SSRIs and TCAs in the elderly; no better tolerability of fluvoxamine than TCAs; better tolerability of dothiepin (dosulepin) than SSRIs; better tolerability of sertraline and greater frequency of agitation on fluoxetine than ..
- Brugada-like ECG pattern induced by tricyclic antidepressantsAgna Meert
Department of Emergency Medicine, UZ Brussel, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels, Belgium
Eur J Emerg Med 17:325-7. 2010..This raises questions about the specificity of ajmaline testing for Brugada syndrome in patients taking dosulepine and perhaps other TCAs and neuroleptic agents...
- General population based study of the impact of tricyclic and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor antidepressants on the risk of acute myocardial infarctionL J Tata
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, Clinical Sciences Building, Hucknall Road, Nottingham NG5 1PB, UK
Heart 91:465-71. 2005..To investigate the impact of tricyclic antidepressants (TCAs) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) on the risk of first acute myocardial infarction (MI)...
- A case of unclassified headache involving bilateral nuchal to frontal pain associated with burning eyes and lacrimationGregory S Antonarakis
28 Philosophes, CH 1205, Geneva, Switzerland
J Headache Pain 7:136-8. 2006..empirically, with the best improvement experienced when the patient was put on a combination of gabapentin and dothiepin treatment...
- Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods for analysis of tramadol, acebutolol and dothiepin in pharmaceutical preparationsHisham E Abdellatef
Analytical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 65:1087-92. 2006..and spectrofluorimetric methods are described for the determination of tramadol, acebutolol and dothiepin (dosulepin) hydrochlorides...
- Tricyclic antidepressant poisoning : central nervous system effects and managementD Nicholas Bateman
National Poisons Information Service Edinburgh Centre, Scottish Poisons Information Bureau, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland
Toxicol Rev 24:181-6. 2005..Dosulepin (dothiepin) seems more likely to cause convulsions than other drugs in this class, and amitriptyline also appears a more ..
- Comparison of cytochrome p450 mediated metabolism of three central nervous system acting drugsTamer Zekry Attia
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, 1 6 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 60:1544-9. 2012..on structurally different central nervous system (CNS) acting drugs, amitriptyline, fluphenazine, and dothiepin. By using our novel in vitro evaluation system, we could compare the kinetic parameters for the metabolism of ..
- Spectrophotometric and Spectrofluorimetric Methods for the Determination of Dothiepin Hydrochloride in its Pure and Dosage Forms using EosinM I Walash
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Mansoura, Mansoura, Egypt
Int J Biomed Sci 6:327-34. 2010Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorimetric methods were developed for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride (DOP) in different dosage forms...
- Extractive colorimetric method for the determination of dothiepin hydrochloride and risperidone in pure and in dosage formsWafaa El Sayed Hassan
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 56:1092-6. 2008Three rapid, simple, reproducible and sensitive extractive colorimetric methods (A--C) for assaying dothiepin hydrochloride (I) and risperidone (II) in bulk sample and in dosage forms were investigated...
- [A case of choreoathetoid movements induced by anticholinergic drugs, trihexyphenidyl HCl and dosulepin HCl]K Matsumoto
Department of Neurology, Yamaguchi University School of Medicine
Nihon Ronen Igakkai Zasshi 29:686-9. 1992..It should be stressed that inappropriate administration of anticholinergics could cause severe dyskinesia in the elderly...
- Prescribing of venlafaxine and dosulepin in primary careR Hamish McAllister-Williams
J Psychopharmacol 20:868. 2006
- Pharmacological interventions for benzodiazepine mono-dependence management in outpatient settingsC Denis
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux Centre Carreire du CHCP, Laboratoire de Psychiatrie, 121 rue de la Bechade, Bordeaux Cedex, European Union 33076
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 3:CD005194. 2006..Although benzodiazepines are highly effective for some disorders, they are potentially addictive drugs and they can provide reinforcement in some individuals...
- Do alpha2-adrenoceptors play an integral role in the antinociceptive mechanism of action of antidepressant compounds?A M Gray
Department of Pharmacology, The Welsh School of Pharmacy, Cardiff University, Wales, UK
Eur J Pharmacol 378:161-8. 1999..and (-)-enantiomers of the noradrenaline reuptake inhibitor oxaprotiline, plus the tricyclics amitriptyline and dothiepin. All these compounds have been previously shown to be antinociceptive in this paradigm...
- Nightmares and hallucinations after long-term intake of tramadol combined with antidepressantsJ Devulder
Department of Anesthesia and Pain Clinic Gent University Hospital, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 51:184-6. 1996..The case report questions the long term use of pain killers combined with psycho-active drugs in chronic non malignant pain, especially if pain is under control...
- The long-term outcome of facial pain treatmentC Feinmann
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Eastman Dental Hospital, London, U K
J Psychosom Res 37:381-7. 1993..Refractory pain was associated with a long complex history of pain, a preoccupation with physical symptoms and poor psychosocial adjustment...
- Acute amitriptyline intoxication: an analysis of 44 childrenHuseyin Caksen
Department of Pediatrics, Yuzuncu Yil University, Faculty of Medicine, 65200, Van, Turkey
Hum Exp Toxicol 25:107-10. 2006The tricyclic antidepressant agents, particularly amitriptyline and dothiepin, are recognized for their potentially lethal cardiovascular and neurological effects in poisoned patients...
- Mediation of the antidepressant-like effect of 8-OH-DPAT in mice by postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptorsG P Luscombe
Boots Pharmaceuticals Research Department, Nottingham
Br J Pharmacol 108:669-77. 1993..c.). Similarly, repeated administration of amitriptyline (3-30 mg kg-1), desipramine (3-30 mg kg-1) or dothiepin (10-100 mg kg-1) also attenuated the former, but not the latter, response.7...
- Evaluation of efficacy and tolerability of dothiepin hydrochloride in the management of major depression in patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritisH S Dhavale
TNMC and BYL Nair Charitable Hospital, Dr AL Nair Road, Mumbai 400008
J Indian Med Assoc 103:291-4. 2005..2% of patients with rheumatoid arthritis have associated psychiatric comorbidity especially depression. Dothiepin hydrochloride is a well-established and effective antidepressant in patients with depressive symptoms of varying ..
- Measurement of dothiepin and its major metabolites in plasma by high-performance liquid chromatographyP J Taylor
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Woolloongabba, Queensland, Australia
J Chromatogr 581:152-5. 1992..describes a reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatographic method which will simultaneously measure dothiepin and its three major metabolites (northiaden, northiaden-S-oxide and dothiepin-S-oxide) in plasma using ..
- Antidepressants and driver impairment: empirical evidence from a standard on-the-road testJohannes G Ramaekers
Experimental Psychopharmacology Unit, Brain and Behavior Institute, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 64:20-9. 2003..That test measures driving impairment from vehicular "weaving" (i.e., standard deviation of lateral position [SDLP]) during 1 hour of on-the-road driving in normal traffic...
- The clinical efficacy of maintenance electroconvulsive therapy in a patient with a mild mental handicapB K Puri
Br J Psychiatry 161:707-9. 1992..The use of maintenance ECT as the mainstay of the therapeutic regime led to a marked consistent clinical improvement...
- Antidepressant drugs and heart electrical fieldJ Slavicek
Department of Physiology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 47:297-300. 1998..Citalopram slightly diminished the amplitude of the R wave. The results confirm the antimuscarinic effects of TCA in therapeutic doses and specify the intraventricular effects of antidepressants...
- Brugada like pattern in ECG with drug overdoseH S Kiran
JSS Medical College and Hospital, Mysore
J Assoc Physicians India 58:120-2. 2010..TCA overdose may produce various ECG changes. We report a case of Dothiepin overdose resulting in Brugada like pattern including RBBB which resolved spontaneously.
- Suspected antidepressant-induced switch to mania in unipolar depression: a first-person narrativeC Amey
J Affect Disord 125:111-5. 2010..Antidepressant-induced switch to mania has not been thoroughly characterized in bipolar disorder and is even less well understood in unipolar depression...
- Antidepressant drugs in oral fluid using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryCynthia Coulter
Immunalysis Corporation, 829 Towne Center Drive, Pomona, California 91767, USA
J Anal Toxicol 34:64-72. 2010..for the treatment of depression and anxiety disorders, including amitriptyline, cyclobenzaprine, imipramine, dothiepin, doxepin, fluoxetine, sertraline, trimipramine, protriptyline, chlorpromazine, clomipramine, and some of their ..
- Drug concentration in selected skeletal musclesA M Langford
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Dundee, Scotland
J Forensic Sci 43:22-7. 1998..7 (temazepam), 4.3 (propoxyphene) and 5.7 (amitriptyline). We suggest that muscle is suitable for qualitative analysis but not for quantitative corroboration of a blood sample or as a quantitative alternative to blood...
- Screening and semiquantitative analysis of drugs and drugs of abuse in human serum samples using gas chromatography-mass spectrometryVera Maresova
Institute of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology, First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 29:749-54. 2008..The purpose of this study is to develop the gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric method (GC-MS) for screening and semiquantification of drugs and drugs of abuse in human serum...
- Toxicokinetics of dothiepin: 2 case reportsE E Roelofsen
Central Hospital Pharmacy The Hague, Den Haag, The Netherlands
Ther Drug Monit 30:638-41. 2008In this article, 2 cases of intentional dothiepin intoxication are presented. Both patients survived after receiving appropriate supportive care. The dothiepin and metabolite levels were measured at different times after ingestion...
- Lack of reinforcing effect of the benzodiazepine and tricyclic antidepressant combination of diazepam and dothiepinH Oittinen
Division of Neurochemistry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Pharmacology 62:124-8. 2001..Diazepam proved to be of only moderate reinforcing strength. Dothiepin alone was ineffective as a reinforcer but essentially abolished the reinforcing effect of diazepam when given in ..
- Potential of high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array detection in forensic toxicologyW E Lambert
Laboratorium voor Toxicologie, Universiteit Gent, Belgium
J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl 689:45-53. 1997..In the present paper, these aspects are also verified in a number of real cases, i.e., trazodone and dothiepin, azide, chloroquine and cocaine, in which we illustrate from our own experience the potentials of HPLC-..
- A double-blind, randomised comparison of fluvoxamine with dothiepin in the treatment of depression in elderly patientsM K Rahman
Bolton General Hospital
Br J Clin Pract 45:255-8. 1991..efficacy and tolerability of the selective 5-HT reuptake inhibitor fluvoxamine were compared with the tricyclic dothiepin in 52 elderly (age greater than 64 years) hospital patients in a multi-centre double-blind randomised trial...
- A comparison of side effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants in older depressed patients: a meta-analysisKenneth Wilson
University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 19:754-62. 2004..To examine the relative tolerability and side effect profile of tricyclic antidepressants and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in older depressed people...
- Ring flexibility within tricyclic antidepressant drugsM G Casarotto
Division of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, John Curtin School of Medical Research and Research School of Chemistry, Australian National University, GPO Box 334 Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
J Pharm Sci 90:713-21. 2001..ring of a series of tricyclic antidepressant drugs (TCAs), imipramine , amitriptyline , doxepin , and dothiepin , has been investigated by (1)H and (13)C nuclear magnetic (NMR) techniques...
- Sibutramine induces potential-dependent exocytotic release but not carrier-mediated release of dopamine and 5-hydroxytryptamineKiyoharu Ukai
Central Research Institute, Kaken Pharmaceutical Co Ltd, 14 Shinomiya Minamikawara cho, Yamashinaku, 607 Kyoto, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 484:209-15. 2004..These results suggest that sibutramine increases dopamine levels in the striatum by exocytotic release and not by a carrier-mediated mechanism...
- Polymeric membrane electrodes for selective determination of methiadenHanna Hopkała
Department of Medical Chemistry, University of Medicine, 6 Chodzki Str, 20 093 Lublin, Poland
Acta Pol Pharm 60:159-62. 2003..The basic analytical parameters of these electrodes were evaluated. The potentiometric titration method was used to determine methiaden hydrochloride with good precision and accuracy...
- Effects of 5 weeks of administration of fluoxetine and dothiepin in normal volunteers on sleep, daytime sedation, psychomotor performance and moodS J Wilson
Psychopharmacology Unit, School of Medical Sciences, University of Bristol, Bristol, UK
J Psychopharmacol 16:321-31. 2002..double-blind randomized crossover study of long-term (5 weeks) administration of fluoxetine (20 mg/day) and dothiepin (75 mg/day for 1 week followed by 150 mg/day for 4 weeks) in 12 healthy male volunteers...
- Dothiepin versus doxepin in major depression: results of a multicenter, placebo-controlled trial. Prothiaden Collaborative Study GroupJ M Ferguson
Pharmacology Research Corporation, Salt Lake City, UT 84107 7591
J Clin Psychiatry 55:258-63. 1994The tricyclic antidepressant dothiepin is well established in Europe, but clinical experience with the drug in the United States is limited.
- Effects of dothiepin on nociceptive flexion reflex and diffuse noxious inhibitory controls in humansG Sandrini
Department of Neurology C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 243:99-102. 1993The analgesic activity of dothiepin (an antidepressant interacting with serotonin receptors) was studied (double-blind) in humans...
- The excretion of dothiepin and its primary metabolites in breast milkK F Ilett
Combined Unit in Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Western Australia, Nedlands
Br J Clin Pharmacol 33:635-9. 19921. The excretion of dothiepin, nordothiepin, dothiepin-S-oxide and nordothiepin-S-oxide into breast milk was studied in eight women...
- Antidepressant induced cholestasis: hepatocellular redistribution of multidrug resistant protein (MRP2)P Milkiewicz
Liver and Hepatobiliary Unit, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Gut 52:300-3. 2003..We report two cases of antidepressant induced cholestasis...
- Direct investigation of the vectorization properties of amphiphilic cyclodextrins in phospholipid filmsIsabelle Javierre
CEA Saclay, DSM DRECAM, Service de Physique de l Etat Condense, Gif sur Yvette Cedex, F 91191, France
J Colloid Interface Sci 254:120-8. 2002..For this purpose and as an example of a potential application, this cyclodextrin molecular carrier property is also addressed to this complex film architecture...
- Management of depression in real-life settings: knowledge gained from large-scale clinical trialsC Thompson
University of Southampton, Department of Psychiatry, Royal South Hants Hospital, UK
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 9:21-5. 1994..episode, were treated for 6 weeks with either sertraline 50-100 mg/day or the tricyclic antidepressant dothiepin 75-150 mg/day, or placebo...
- Length of therapy with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tricyclic antidepressants in AustraliaPeter McManus
Department of Health and Ageing, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 38:450-4. 2004....
- Relative mortality from overdose of antidepressantsJ A Henry
National Poisons Unit, Guy s Hospital, London
BMJ 310:221-4. 1995..To compare the fatal toxicities of antidepressant drugs in 1987-92...
- A variant of Capgras syndrome with substitution of inanimate objectsS C Rastogi
St Ann s Hospital, Canford Cliffs, Poole, Dorset
Br J Psychiatry 156:883-4. 1990..An unusual and rare variant of Capgras syndrome is reported in which a patient with depressive illness became preoccupied with doubles of inanimate objects. The patient responded to antidepressant therapy...
- HPLC of basic drugs on microparticulate strong cation-exchange materials - a reviewR J Flanagan
Medical Toxicology Unit, Guy s and St Thomas Hospital Trust, Avonley Road, London SE14 5ER, UK
Forensic Sci Int 121:97-102. 2001..and flecainide, antipsychotics (clozapine, olanzapine), and antidepressants (amitriptyline, clomipramine, dothiepin, fluoxetine) and their N-desalkyl metabolites...
- A functional psychosis precipitated by quinidineA G Johnson
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, St Vincent s Hospital, Darlinghurst, NSW
Med J Aust 153:47-9. 1990..with prominent paranoid and depressive features which gradually settled after commencement of pimozide and dothiepin. It is likely that these events reflect a recurring functional psychosis which was precipitated or exacerbated ..
- QT dispersion estimated from 80 body surface potential map leads and from standard 12-leads ECG in psychiatric patients treated with dosulepinS Havranek
Institute of Physiology of the First Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Albertov 5, 128 00 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Prague Med Rep 105:53-63. 2004..According to the above-mentioned results we can conclude that the QTd estimated from BSPM leads (but not that estimated from 12-lead ECG) could be used as a marker of the dosulepin effect on the myocardium...
- QT dispersion and electrical heart field morphology in patients treated with dosulepinO Kittnar
Institute of Physiology, First Medical Faculty, Charles University, Albertov 5, 128 00 Prague 2, Czech Republic
Physiol Res 53:379-86. 2004..Furthermore, the T-wave amplitude was not significantly correlated to the QT-interval. Thus we can conclude that the QT dispersion could be used as a simple marker of the dosulepin effect on the myocardium...
- A double-blind comparative study of fluoxetine and dothiepin in the treatment of depression in general practiceS J Corne
Pharmacon, Kew, Surrey
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 4:245-54. 1989Fluoxetine, a selective inhibitor of 5-HT uptake, was compared to dothiepin in a double-blind study of 6 weeks duration in 100 depressed patients (male and female) drawn from 8 general practices...
- Chronic facial pain: a multidisciplinary problemG Madland
Behavioural Sciences and Dentistry, Eastman Dental Institute and Hospital, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 71:716-9. 2001..This review suggests a need for a diagnostic category of "chronic facial pain", which demands a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and management...
- Burning mouth syndrome and vulvodynia coexisting in the same patient: a case reportPallavi Gaitonde
Orofacial Pain Clinic, Department of Oral Medicine, Liverpool University Dental Hospital, Liverpool
Dent Update 29:75-6. 2002..The dynias are an enigma in terms of aetiology, which is multifactorial, making clinical investigations difficult and often requiring liaison with other specialties...
- Postmortem redistribution and degradation of dothiepin. Human case studies and an animal modelD J Pounder
Department of Forensic Medicine, University of Dundee, Scotland
Am J Forensic Med Pathol 15:231-5. 1994Two suicides took estimated maximum dothiepin doses of 765 and 1875 mg, respectively. Initial drug levels in nine and 12 blood samples were 0.26-1.85 and 4.08-23.98 mg/L, with highest concentrations in the pulmonary veins...
- Dual ultraviolet wavelength high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the forensic or clinical analysis of seventeen antidepressants and some selected metabolitesI M McIntyre
Victorian Institute of Forensic Pathology, Monash University, South Melbourne, Australia
J Chromatogr 621:215-23. 1993..The most commonly observed antidepressants in 281 forensic cases analysed over a two-year period with the described method were dothiepin, amitriptyline, nortriptyline and doxepin.