Summary: Semisynthetic, broad-spectrum, AMPICILLIN derived ureidopenicillin antibiotic proposed for PSEUDOMONAS infections. It is also used in combination with other antibiotics.
Publications209 found, 100 shown here
- Expanded studies of piperacillin/tazobactam formulations: variations among branded product lots and assessment of 46 generic lotsGary J Moet
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 65:319-22. 2009The experience with analyzing the potency of piperacillin/tazobactam generic formulations by a precise multiorganism in vitro assay was expanded to 46 lots (29 manufacturers, 17 countries)...
- Impact of antibiotic restriction on broad spectrum antibiotic usage in the ICU of a developing countryShahla Siddiqui
Department of Anaesthesia, Aga Khan University, Karachi
J Pak Med Assoc 57:484-7. 2007..To reduce rates of nosocomial pneumonia and cost of antibiotic therapy...
- Effect of subinhibitory concentration of piperacillin/tazobactam on Pseudomonas aeruginosaA P Fonseca
Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Porto, Portugal
J Med Microbiol 53:903-10. 2004..This study investigated the ability of sub-MIC piperacillin/tazobactam (P/T) to interfere with the bacterial virulence parameters of adhesiveness, cell-surface ..
- Risk factors for piperacillin-tazobactam-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa among hospitalized patientsAnthony D Harris
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland VA Maryland Health Care System, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:854-8. 2002..This study determined risk factors for the recovery of piperacillin-tazobactam-resistant P. aeruginosa from clinical cultures from hospitalized patients...
- Vancomycin versus placebo for treating persistent fever in patients with neutropenic cancer receiving piperacillin-tazobactam monotherapyA Cometta
Division of Infectious Diseases, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, 1011 Lausanne, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 37:382-9. 2003..in neutropenic patients with cancer who had persistent fever 48-60 h after the initiation of empirical piperacillin-tazobactam monotherapy...
- Piperacillin-tazobactam for Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection: clinical implications of an extended-infusion dosing strategyThomas P Lodise
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Albany College of Pharmacy, Albany, NY 12208, USA
Clin Infect Dis 44:357-63. 2007b>Piperacillin-tazobactam is frequently used to treat Pseudomonas aeruginosa infections in critically ill patients...
- Serological studies of piperacillin antibodiesRegina M Leger
American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern California Region, Pomona, California 91768, USA
Transfusion 48:2429-34. 2008..Antibodies to piperacillin, a semisynthetic penicillin, would be expected to react similarly; however, antipiperacillin can be detected by ..
- Influence of renal function on trough serum concentrations of piperacillin in intensive care unit patientsJean Marie Conil
Laboratoire de Cinétique des Xénobiotiques, UMR 181 Physiopathologie et Toxicologie Expérimentale, Faculté des Sciences Pharmaceutiques de Toulouse, Toulouse, France
Intensive Care Med 32:2063-6. 2006To explore the effects of renal function estimated by measured creatinine clearance (Cl(CR)) on trough serum concentration (C(min)) of piperacillin given to critically ill patients.
- Pharmacokinetics of piperacillin-tazobactam: intermittent dosing versus continuous infusionChristine Buck
Department of General Internal Medicine, University of Bonn, Sigmund-Freud-Strasse 25, Bonn, Germany
Int J Antimicrob Agents 25:62-7. 2005..treatment were randomly assigned to receive the beta-lactam antibiotic/beta-lactamase inhibitor combination piperacillin-tazobactam either as an intermittent or as a continuous infusion...
- Piperacillin penetration into tissue of critically ill patients with sepsis--bolus versus continuous administration?Jason A Roberts
Burns, Trauma and Critical Care Research Centre, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
Crit Care Med 37:926-33. 2009To describe a pharmacokinetic model of piperacillin concentrations in plasma and subcutaneous tissue when administered by bolus dosing and continuous infusion in critically ill patients with sepsis on days 1 and 2 of antibiotic therapy ..
- Clinical cure of ventilator-associated pneumonia treated with piperacillin/tazobactam administered by continuous or intermittent infusionLeonardo Lorente
Intensive Care Unit, Hospital Universitario de Canarias, Ofra s n, La Cuesta, La Laguna 38320, Tenerife, Spain
Int J Antimicrob Agents 33:464-8. 2009The standard mode of administration of piperacillin treatment is by intermittent infusion. However, continuous infusion may be advantageous as beta-lactam antibiotics exhibit time-dependent antibacterial activity...
- Comparative study of the effects of ceftizoxime, piperacillin, and piperacillin-tazobactam concentrations on antibacterial activity and selection of antibiotic-resistant mutants of Enterobacter cloacae and Bacteroides fragilis in vitro and in vivo in mixeLorna E T Stearne
Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center Rotterdam, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:1688-98. 2004The effects of ceftizoxime (CZX), piperacillin (PIP), and PIP-tazobactam (PT) concentrations on the antibacterial activity and selection of resistant mutants of Bacteroides fragilis and Enterobacter cloacae were investigated in vitro in a ..
- Elimination of the piperacillin/tazobactam combination during continuous venovenous haemofiltration and haemodiafiltration in patients with acute renal failureM Valtonen
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
J Antimicrob Chemother 48:881-5. 2001The elimination of the piperacillin/tazobactam combination was studied in six patients with acute renal failure undergoing either continuous venovenous haemofiltration (CVVH) or continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration (CVVHDF) at 1 L/h ..
- Anaphylaxis to piperacillin-tazobactam despite a negative penicillin skin testM A Rank
Allergy 62:964-5. 2007
- A multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial comparing piperacillin-tazobactam with and without amikacin as empiric therapy for febrile neutropeniaA Del Favero
Istituto Medicina Interna e Scienze Oncologiche, Universita di Perugia, Perugia, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 33:1295-301. 2001In a prospective, multicenter, double-blind, randomized clinical trial, we compared the efficacy of piperacillin-tazobactam (4.5 g 3 times daily intravenously) plus placebo versus piperacillin-tazobactam plus amikacin (7...
- Delayed hypersensitivity to piperacillinA Romano
Department of Internal Medicine and Geriatrics, UCSC. Allergy Unit C.I. Columbus. Rome, Italy
Allergy 57:459. 2002
- Piperacillin-tazobactam-induced drug hypersensitivity syndromeSimone Fahim
Division of Dermatology, Department of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Cutis 77:353-7. 2006..The syndrome is a triad of fever, skin eruption, and internal organ involvement. Prompt identification and discontinuation of the offending drug with symptomatic treatment of toxic effects is the mainstay of therapy for DHS...
- Efficiency of tazobactam/piperacillin in lethal peritonitis is enhanced after preconditioning of rats with O3/O2-pneumoperitoneumMichael Bette
Institute of Anatomy and Cell Biology, Philipps-University of Marburg, Marburg 35033, Germany
Shock 25:23-9. 2006..We evaluated the prophylactic effect of O3/O2-PP combined with tazobactam/piperacillin (TZP) in polymicrobial lethal peritonitis...
- Elimination of piperacillin and tazobactam by renal replacement therapies with AN69 and polysulfone hemofilters: evaluation of the sieving coefficientA Arzuaga
Laboratory of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Technology, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of the Basque Country, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain
Blood Purif 24:347-54. 2006BACKGROUND/AIM: Piperacillin-tazobactam is commonly used to treat infections in ICU patients...
- Replacement of broad-spectrum cephalosporins by piperacillin-tazobactam: impact on sustained high rates of bacterial resistanceCarlos Bantar
Committee for Prevention and Control of Nosocomial Infection, , Paran, , Argentina
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 48:392-5. 2004..Therefore, we sought to determine whether replacement of CEP by piperacillin-tazobactam might be useful in reducing sustained high rates of CEP resistance by this organism...
- Clinical efficacy of continuous infusion of piperacillin compared with intermittent dosing in septic critically ill patientsMohammad Reza Rafati
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:122-7. 2006..of continuous infusion therapy, we evaluated the outcomes for 40 septic critically ill patients who received piperacillin either continuously (2 g intravenously (i.v.) over 0.5 h as a loading dose followed by 8 g i.v...
- Antibiotic policy and prescribing strategies for therapy of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Enterobacteriaceae: the role of piperacillin-tazobactamL R Peterson
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Division of Clinical Microbiology, and Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Evanston Northwestern Healthcare and Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60201, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:181-4. 2008..monobactam antimicrobials, but as susceptible to beta-lactam-beta-lactamase inhibitor combinations, including piperacillin-tazobactam, when they test as such...
- A randomized, open-label, multicenter comparative study of the efficacy and safety of piperacillin-tazobactam and cefepime for the empirical treatment of febrile neutropenic episodes in patients with hematologic malignanciesE J Bow
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Clin Infect Dis 43:447-59. 2006..This study was performed to demonstrate the noninferiority of monotherapy with piperacillin-tazobactam, compared with cefepime.
- Ciprofloxacin plus piperacillin compared with tobramycin plus piperacillin as empirical therapy in febrile neutropenic patients. A randomized, double-blind trialJames E Peacock
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Medical Center Boulevard, Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1042, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:77-87. 2002..OBJECTIVE: To determine whether ciprofloxacin-piperacillin is equivalent to tobramycin-piperacillin as empirical therapy for neutropenic fever...
- Delayed hypersensitivity to acylureidopenicillins: a case reportF Gaeta
, Complesso Integrato Columbus, Via G. Moscati, 3100168 Rome, Italy
Allergy 63:787-9. 2008
- Cefepime plus amikacin versus piperacillin-tazobactam plus amikacin for initial antibiotic therapy in haematology patients with febrile neutropenia: results of an open, randomized, multicentre trialMiguel A Sanz
Servicio de Hematologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Av Campanar 21, 46009 Valencia, Spain
J Antimicrob Chemother 50:79-88. 2002..The aim of this study is to evaluate the efficacy and safety of cefepime plus amikacin compared with piperacillin-tazobactam plus amikacin for initial empirical treatment of fever in adult haematology patients with severe ..
- Pharmacokinetics of piperacillin-tazobactam in anuric intensive care patients during continuous venovenous hemodialysisSilke C Mueller
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Rostock, D 18057 Rostock, Germany
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 46:1557-60. 2002The pharmacokinetics of piperacillin-tazobactam were investigated in eight anuric intensive care patients treated by continuous venovenous hemodialysis (CVVHD). The elimination half-life of piperacillin was 4.3 +/- 1...
- Acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis caused by piperacillin/tazobactamTeresa Grieco
J Am Acad Dermatol 52:732-3. 2005
- Piperacillin-induced immune hemolysis: new cases and a concise review of the literatureBeate Mayer
Institute for Transfusion Medicine, Charite University Medicine, Berlin, Germany
Transfusion 50:1135-8. 2010In this study, the data of eight new patients in conjunction with previously reported cases with piperacillin-induced immune hemolytic anemia (PIHA) are described.
- Antipseudomonal activity of piperacillin/tazobactam: more than a decade of experience from the SENTRY Antimicrobial Surveillance Program (1997-2007)Ronald N Jones
JMI Laboratories North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 65:331-4. 2009We evaluated the susceptibility rates for piperacillin/tazobactam tested against Pseudomonas aeruginosa isolates from the Asia-Pacific (APAC), Europe (EU), Latin America (LA), and North America (NA) for 1997 to 2007...
- Insufficient β-lactam concentrations in the early phase of severe sepsis and septic shockFabio Silvio Taccone
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Route de Lennik 808, 1070 Bruxelles, Belgium
Crit Care 14:R126. 2010..The aim of our study was to determine whether the first dose of piperacillin-tazobactam, ceftazidime, cefepime, and meropenem would result in adequate serum drug concentrations in patients ..
- Pharmacokinetics of piperacillin and tazobactam in critically ill patients with renal failure, treated with continuous veno-venous hemofiltration (CVVH)T S van der Werf
Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Intensive Care Med 23:873-7. 1997Kinetics of piperacillin (pip), in combination with the beta-lactamase inhibitor tazobactam (taz) have been studied in volunteers and patients in relatively stable conditions...
- Immune-mediated severe hemolytic crisis with a hemoglobin level of 1.6 g/dl caused by anti-piperacillin antibodies in a patient with cystic fibrosisS Kunzmann
University Children s Hospital, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Str 2, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Infection 38:131-4. 2010..6 g/dl after 7 days of treatment with piperacillin, consistent with an immune-mediated hemolytic crisis...
- Electrolytes imbalance: a rare side effect of piperacillin/ tazobactam therapyShakir Hussain
Department of Trauma and Orthopaedics, The University Hospital Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust, United Kingdom
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 20:419-20. 2010..We report a case of severe hypokalemia secondary to piperacillin/tazobactam in a patient with normal renal function and normal serum potassium level who had presented with a ..
- Piperacillin/tazobactam versus cefepime as initial empirical antimicrobial therapy in febrile neutropenic patients: a prospective randomized pilot studyA Bohme
Department of Hematology Oncology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt Germany
Eur J Med Res 3:324-30. 1998..presented prospective, randomized study was to compare the efficacy of empirical antimicrobial monotherapy with piperacillin/tazobactam (PIP/TAZ) to cefepime (CEFP) for treatment of infections in neutropenic patients...
- Outcomes of extended infusion piperacillin/tazobactam for documented Gram-negative infectionsGita Wasan Patel
Medical Center of Plano, TX 75075, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 64:236-40. 2009This comparison of intermittent versus extended-infusion piperacillin-tazobactam among patients with Gram-negative infections revealed similar mortality and length of stay. Outcomes remained similar when stratified by MIC value.
- Haemolytic anaemia caused by piperacillin-tazobactamI Dapper
Intensive Care Unit, AZ Monica, Antwerpen, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 64:517-9. 2009We report a case of haemolytic due to the use of piperacillin-tazobactam in a 50-year-old woman. Since 2002 4 other cases were reported. Either the presence of piperacillin as tazobactam can induce haemolysis...
- Differences in the changes in resistance patterns to third- and fourth-generation cephalosporins and piperacillin/tazobactam among Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli clinical isolates following a restriction policy in a Greek tertiary care hospitaGeorge Petrikkos
First Department of Propaedeutic Medicine, Infectious Diseases Laboratory, G K Daikos, Laikon General Hospital, Aghiou Thoma 17, Goudi, Athens 11527, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 29:34-8. 2007The aim of the present study was to investigate whether replacement of broad-spectrum cephalosporins (CEPs) by piperacillin/tazobactam (TZP) as first-line empirical therapy may have an effect on beta-lactam resistance among Klebsiella ..
- General microbiology and in vitro susceptibility of anaerobes isolated from complicated skin and skin-structure infections in patients enrolled in a comparative trial of ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactamEllie J C Goldstein
R M Alden Research Laboratory, Santa Monica, CA, 90404, USA
Clin Infect Dis 35:S119-25. 2002In a recently completed study of once-a-day ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam every 6 h in the treatment of complicated skin and skin-structure infections, 540 patients were randomized in a 1rcolon;1 ratio and assigned to 1 of 2 ..
- Controlled trials of double beta-lactam therapy with cefoperazone plus piperacillin in febrile granulocytopenic patientsD J Winston
Department of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles 90024
Am J Med 85:21-30. 1988The efficacy and safety of double beta-lactam therapy with cefoperazone plus piperacillin in febrile granulocytopenic patients were compared with moxalactam plus piperacillin, ceftazidime plus piperacillin, and imipenem alone in two ..
- Cefepime, piperacillin/tazobactam, gentamicin, ciprofloxacin, and levofloxacin alone and in combination against Pseudomonas aeruginosaDavid S Burgess
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 44:35-41. 2002..In this study we compared the synergistic activities of piperacillin/tazobactam and cefepime when either drug was combined with gentamicin, ciprofloxacin, or levofloxacin against P...
- Prospective comparative study of cefotetan with piperacillin for prophylaxis against infection in elective colorectal surgeryM J Hershman
Department of Surgery, Hammersmith Hospital, London, UK
J R Coll Surg Edinb 35:29-32. 1990This study compared one dose of cefotetan with three doses of piperacillin as prophylaxis against wound infection in 153 patients undergoing elective colorectal surgery...
- Comparison of piperacillin/tazobactam and imipenem/cilastatin, both in combination with tobramycin, administered every 6 h for treatment of nosocomial pneumoniaManjari Joshi
University of Maryland School of Medicine, R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Respir Med 100:1554-65. 2006This randomized, double-blind, multicenter study compared the efficacy and safety of piperacillin/tazobactam (P/T) and imipenem/cilastatin (IMP), both in combination with an aminoglycoside, in hospitalized patients with acute nosocomial ..
- Ertapenem once a day versus piperacillin-tazobactam every 6 hours for treatment of acute pelvic infections: a prospective, multicenter, randomized, double-blind studySubir Roy
Keck School of Medicine at USC, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 11:27-37. 2003OBJECTIVE: To compare ertapenem therapy with piperacillin-tazobactam therapy for the management of acute pelvic infections...
- Outcomes of bacteremia due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa with reduced susceptibility to piperacillin-tazobactam: implications on the appropriateness of the resistance breakpointVincent H Tam
University of Houston College of Pharmacy, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:862-7. 2008..Recent studies have emphasized the importance of appropriate empirical therapy, but controversy arises when piperacillin-tazobactam is used against isolates with reduced susceptibility.
- Piperacillin/tazobactam vs imipenem/cilastatin in the treatment of nosocomial pneumonia--a double blind prospective multicentre studyD V Schmitt
Universitatsklinikum, Herzzentrum Leipzig, Herzchirurgie, Russenstrasse 19, 04289 Leipzig, Germany
Infection 34:127-34. 2006b>Piperacillin/tazobactam (P/T) with its broad spectrum of antibacterial activity is used widely for the treatment of moderate to severe polymicrobial nosocomial infections.
- Antimicrobial activity of isepamicin (SCH21420, 1-N-HAPA gentamicin B) combinations with cefotaxime, ceftazidime, ceftriaxone, ciprofloxacin, imipenem, mezlocillin and piperacillin tested against gentamicin-resistant and susceptible gram-negative bacilli R N Jones
Department of Pathology, University of Iowa College of Medicine, Iowa City
J Chemother 3:289-94. 1991..The rank order of synergy (complete or partial) was; cefotaxime = ceftazidime = ceftriaxone = mezlocillin = piperacillin (75% to 80%) greater than imipenem (66%) greater than ciprofloxacin (38%)...
- False positive test for aspergillus antigenemia related to concomitant administration of piperacillin and tazobactamAnnie Sulahian
N Engl J Med 349:2366-7. 2003
- Comparative costs of ertapenem and piperacillin-tazobactam in the treatment of diabetic foot infectionsAlan D Tice
John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1080-6. 2007To evaluate potential cost savings, trial data were used to determine the clinical outcomes for i.v. ertapenem given once daily and i.v. piperacillin-tazobactam given every six hours daily in treating diabetic foot infections.
- Antimicrobial prophylaxis for transrectal prostatic biopsy: a prospective study of ciprofloxacin vs piperacillin/tazobactamL Cormio
Department of Urology, Di Venere Hospital, Bari-Carbonara, Italy
BJU Int 90:700-2. 2002OBJECTIVE: To compare the efficacy of short-term parenteral prophylaxis with piperacillin/tazobactam (P/T) with long-term oral prophylaxis with ciprofloxacin in preventing infective complications after transrectal prostatic biopsy (TPB)...
- Acquisition of resistant bowel flora during a double-blind randomized clinical trial of ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam therapy for intraabdominal infectionsMark J DiNubile
Merck Research Laboratories, P O Box 4, BL3 4, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 49:3217-21. 2005..clinical trial, adults with complicated intraabdominal infection requiring surgery were randomized to receive piperacillin-tazobactam (3.375 g every 6 h) or ertapenem (1 g once a day) for 4 to 14 days...
- Treatment of polymicrobial infections: post hoc analysis of three trials comparing ertapenem and piperacillin-tazobactamJoseph Solomkin
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 53:ii51-7. 2004..complicated intra-abdominal, complicated skin/skin-structure and acute pelvic infections was compared with piperacillin-tazobactam 3.375 g every 6 h in a post hoc analysis of data from three large randomized double-blind trials...
- High-level expression of chromosomally encoded SHV-1 beta-lactamase and an outer membrane protein change confer resistance to ceftazidime and piperacillin-tazobactam in a clinical isolate of Klebsiella pneumoniaeL B Rice
Medical Service, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 44:362-7. 2000We describe Klebsiella pneumoniae 15571, a clinical isolate resistant to ceftazidime MIC = 32 microg/ml) and piperacillin-tazobactam (MICs = 1,024 and 128 microg/ml). K. pneumoniae 15571 expresses a single beta-lactamase with a pI of 7.6...
- Activity of piperacillin/tazobactam in combination with amikacin, ciprofloxacin, and trovafloxacin against Pseudomonas aeruginosa by time-killD S Burgess
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, 78712, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 38:37-41. 2000..We compared the activity of piperacillin/tazobactam in combination with amikacin, ciprofloxacin, or trovafloxacin at different concentrations against P...
- [A multicenter clinical trial of piperacillin/tazobactam in burn infection]Weishi Xu
Burn Institute, Ruijin Hospital, Shanghai Second Medical University, Shanghai 200025, P. R. China
Zhonghua Shao Shang Za Zhi 18:75-7. 2002OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of piperacillin/tazobactam in the management of burn infection...
- In vitro activity of piperacillin/tazobactam versus other broad-spectrum antibiotics against nosocomial gram-negative pathogens isolated from burn patientsE Mokaddas
Department of Microbiology, Ibn Sina Hospital, Kuwait
J Chemother 10:208-14. 1998..Tazobactam, a potent inhibitor of beta-lactamases, extends the spectrum of piperacillin to include many beta-lactamase producing bacteria...
- Comparative pharmacodynamics of intermittent and prolonged infusions of piperacillin/tazobactam using Monte Carlo simulations and steady-state pharmacokinetic data from hospitalized patientsKatherine M Shea
Infectious Diseases, Seton Family of Hospitals, University Medical Center at Brackenridge, Austin, TX, USA
Ann Pharmacother 43:1747-54. 2009..Prolonging the infusion of a beta-lactam antibiotic enhances the time in which unbound drug concentrations remain above the minimum inhibitory concentration (fT>MIC)...
- Efficacy and safety of doripenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam in nosocomial pneumonia: a randomized, open-label, multicenter studyAlvaro Rea-Neto
Hospital de Clinicas da Universidade Federal do Parana, Rua General Carneiro, Curitiba, Brasil
Curr Med Res Opin 24:2113-26. 2008..This prospective, randomized, open-label, multicenter study was designed to establish whether doripenem was noninferior to piperacillin/tazobactam in NP.
- In vitro synergy testing of levofloxacin, ofloxacin, and ciprofloxacin in combination with aztreonam, ceftazidime, or piperacillin against Pseudomonas aeruginosaSusan L Pendland
The University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Pharmacy Practice, Microbiology Research Laboratory, Chicago, IL, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 42:75-8. 2002The synergistic potential of levofloxacin, ofloxacin and ciprofloxacin combined with aztreonam, ceftazidime, or piperacillin was compared using 24 strains of Pseudomonas aeruginosa with varying susceptibility profiles...
- Two cases of immune haemolytic anaemia, associated with anti-piperacillin, detected by the 'immune complex' methodP A Arndt
American Red Cross Blood Services, Southern California Region, Los Angeles, CA 90006, USA
Vox Sang 83:273-8. 2002..Two cases of immune haemolytic anaemia caused by anti-piperacillin have been previously described. Serological details were given in only one patient...
- Randomized, multicenter, double-blind study of efficacy, safety, and tolerability of intravenous ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam in treatment of complicated intra-abdominal infections in hospitalized adultsNicholas Namias
Department of Surgery, Miller School of Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 8:15-28. 2007Complicated intra-abdominal infections are a common problem in surgical practice. This study compared the effectiveness of ertapenem (1 g qd) and piperacillin/tazobactam (3.375 g q6h) in the treatment of these infections.
- Bacteremia due to extended-spectrum beta -lactamase-producing Escherichia coli in the CTX-M era: a new clinical challengeJesús Rodríguez-Baño
Seccion de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Virgen Macarena, Sevilla, 41071, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 43:1407-14. 2006..Bacteremia caused by these organisms represents a clinical challenge, because the organisms are frequently resistant to the antimicrobials recommended for treatment of patients with suspected E. coli sepsis...
- Bowel colonization with resistant gram-negative bacilli after antimicrobial therapy of intra-abdominal infections: observations from two randomized comparative clinical trials of ertapenem therapyM J DiNubile
Merck and Co, Whitehouse Station, NJ, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:443-9. 2005..trials with laboratory blinding, adults with complicated intra-abdominal infection requiring surgery received piperacillin-tazobactam (OASIS 1) or ceftriaxone/metronidazole (OASIS II) versus ertapenem for 4-14 days...
- Control of multi-resistant bacteria and ventilator-associated pneumonia: is it possible with changes in antibiotics?Elisa M Jukemura
Infectious Diseases Division, Internal Medicine Department, School of Medicine, Federal University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:418-22. 2007..to December 2000); empirical treatment was changed from ceftriaxone and/or ceftazidime in the first period to piperacillin/tazobactam in the second...
- Cefepime restriction improves gram-negative overall resistance patterns in neonatal intensive care unitOrlei Ribeiro de Araujo
Hospital e Maternidade Santa Marina, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Infect Dis 11:277-80. 2007..Patients in Group 2 (n=349) were admitted when piperacillin/tazobactam replaced cefepime (January to December 2004) and in Group 3 (n=250) when cefepime was reintroduced (..
- [Investigation of the in-vitro effectiveness of ertapenem against Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains isolated from intensive care unit patients]Abdullah Kilic
GATA Mikrobiyoloji ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Ankara
Mikrobiyol Bul 38:355-62. 2004..aeruginosa isolates by both of the methods when compared with imipenem and meropenem. Piperacillin/tazobactam was detected as the most effective agent against these isolates by both of the methods...
- [Antibiotic susceptibility and occurrence of ESBL in Pseudomonas aeruginosa strains isolated from different clinical specimens]Paweł Tomasz Sacha
Zakład Diagnostyki Mikrobiologicznej Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku
Med Dosw Mikrobiol 56:263-73. 2004..The minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) was determined for five antibiotics: piperacillin, amikacin, ceftazidime, imipenem and ciprofloxacin. The majority of strains were susceptible to ceftazidime (91...
- The efficacy of piperacillin/tazobactam in experimental Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis: a histopathological and microbiological evaluationAbdullah Ozkiris
Department of Ophthalmology, Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Kayseri, Turkey
Curr Eye Res 30:13-9. 2005To investigate the efficacy of intravitreal piperacillin/tazobactam (250 microg/0.1 ml) in the treatment of experimental Pseudomonas aeruginosa endophthalmitis in rabbits.
- Continuous infusion beta-lactams for intensive care unit pulmonary infectionsC R Frei
College of Pharmacy, The University of Texas at Austin, TX, USA
Clin Microbiol Infect 11:418-21. 2005..pharmacodynamic simulations suggested that continuous infusion regimens of cefepime, aztreonam, ceftazidime and piperacillin-tazobactam 13...
- Antibacterial susceptibility of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coliJihad Bishara
Rabin Medical Center Beilinson Campus, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 7:298-301. 2005..The prevalence of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing organisms and their antimicrobial resistance patterns may vary between geographic areas...
- Implementation of antibiotic rotation protocol improves antibiotic susceptibility profile in a surgical intensive care unitKyla M Bennett
Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Trauma 63:307-11. 2007..We assessed the effect of an antibiotic rotation protocol on the antibiotic susceptibility profiles of three clinically relevant gram-negative microorganisms within our surgical intensive care unit (SICU)...
- Pharmacodynamic modeling of beta-lactam antibiotics for the empiric treatment of secondary peritonitis: a report from the OPTAMA programSrividya Kotapati
Center for Anti-Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, Connecticut 06102, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 6:297-304. 2005..MIC) exposures for imipenem-cilastatin 500 mg q6h and 1000 mg q8h, meropenem 500 mg q6h and 1000 mg q8h and piperacillin/tazobactam 3.375 g q6h and 4.5 g q8h in the empiric treatment of secondary peritonitis...
- Pharmacodynamics of antimicrobials for the empirical treatment of nosocomial pneumonia: a report from the OPTAMA ProgramHeather K Sun
Center for Anti-Infective Research and Development, Hartford Hospital, Hartford, CT, USA
Crit Care Med 33:2222-7. 2005..for the following antimicrobials at standard doses: meropenem, imipenem-cilastatin, ceftazidime, cefepime, piperacillin/tazobactam, and ciprofloxacin...
- In vitro efficacy of ceftriaxone/sulbactam against Escherichia coli isolates producing CTX-M-15 extended-spectrum beta-lactamaseM Shahid
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:187-8. 2007
- Inadequate antimicrobial prophylaxis during surgery: a study of beta-lactam levels during burn debridementAndrew J Dalley
Burns Trauma and Critical Care Research Centre, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
J Antimicrob Chemother 60:166-9. 2007..To determine how long single-dose prophylactic antibiotic regimens for burns surgery maintained plasma concentrations above the MICs for target organisms during surgery...
- In vitro activity of piperacillin/tazobactam and ertapenem against Bacteroides fragilis and Escherichia coli in pure and mixed culturesKênia Valéria dos Santos
Departamento de Microbiologia, Instituto de Ciencias Biologicas, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brazil
J Med Microbiol 56:798-802. 2007Ertapenem and piperacillin/tazobactam are beta-lactam antibiotics with a broad spectrum of activity used for the treatment of mixed infections in which Bacteroides fragilis and Escherichia coli play an important aetiological role...
- Susceptibilities of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae to ertapenem, meropenem and piperacillin-tazobactam with and without clavulanic acidDavid Raveh
Infectious Diseases Unit, Shaare Zedek Medical Center, Jerusalem, Israel
Chemotherapy 53:185-9. 2007Faced with the extended-spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) pandemic, we compared the susceptibilities of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae to ertapenem, meropenem and piperacillin-tazobactam with and without clavulanate.
- Use of cefepime for the treatment of infections caused by extended spectrum: beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coliSubhash C Arya
Singapore Med J 48:600-1. 2007
- Piperacillin-tazobactam: a beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitor combinationAlfred Gin
Department of Medical Microbiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Canada
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 5:365-83. 2007b>Piperacillin-tazobactam is a beta-lactam/beta-lactamase inhibitor combination with a broad spectrum of antibacterial activity that includes Gram-positive and -negative aerobic and anaerobic bacteria...
- Comparative activities of cefepime and piperacillin/tazobactam tested against a global collection of Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp. with an ESBL phenotypeHelio S Sader
JMI Laboratories, North Liberty, IA 52317, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 57:341-4. 2007..stability to hydrolysis by extended-spectrum beta-lactamases (ESBLs) compared with other cephalosporins, and piperacillin/tazobactam may be active against these pathogens because of the enzyme inhibitory activity of tazobactam...
- Bactericidal activity of ertapenem against major intra-abdominal pathogensSonia Borbone
Department of Microbiological and Gynaecological Science, University of Catania, Via Androne 81, 95124 Catania, Italy
Int J Antimicrob Agents 28:396-401. 2006..mirabilis (ESBL+) in the first 2h. The potent bactericidal activity of ertapenem compared with ceftriaxone and piperacillin/tazobactam was well demonstrated in the co-cultures of E. coli-B. fragilis and E. coli-B. fragilis-E...
- Effects of imipenem-cilastatin, ertapenem, piperacillin-tazobactam, and ceftriaxone treatments on persistence of intestinal colonization by extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae strains in miceMichael J Pultz
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3044-5. 2007
- Risk factors for isolation of low-level mupirocin-resistant versus -susceptible methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from patients in intensive care unitsDae Won Park
Department of Internal Medicine, The Institute of Emerging Infectious Diseases, College of Medicine, Korea University, 126 1 Anam Dong 5th Street, Sungbuk Gu, Seoul 136 705, Republic of Korea
J Infect 54:337-42. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine the risk factors for the recovery of low-level mupirocin-resistant (mup(r)) or -susceptible (mup(s)) MRSA from patients in intensive care units (ICUs)...
- Evaluating broad-spectrum antimicrobialsS C Arya
QJM 99:718-9. 2006
- [Antimicrobial susceptibility of phenotypically extended spectrum beta-lactamase producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii isolates]Gokhan Metan
Erciyes Universitesi Tip Fakultesi, Enfeksiyon Hastaliklari ve Klinik Mikrobiyoloji Anabilim Dali, Kayseri
Mikrobiyol Bul 40:23-8. 2006..The susceptibilities of the isolates to ceftazidime, cefotaxime, cefepime, tobramycin, ciprofloxacin, piperacillin-tazobactam, imipenem and meropenem were determined by Etest (AB Biodisk, Solna, Sweden) method...
- [Antibiotic prophylaxis in cesarean section -- piperacillin versus piperacillin/tazobactam in 300 cesarean sections]K J Wagner
Zentralbl Gynakol 128:149-52. 2006..METHOD: In 300 patients undergoing cesarean sections we compared results of application of Piperacillin 4 g and Piperacillin/Tazobactam 4.5 g after cut of umbilical cord...
- Clinical correlation of the CLSI susceptibility breakpoint for piperacillin- tazobactam against extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli and Klebsiella speciesPatrick J Gavin
Evanston Northwestern Healthcare, IL 60201, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2244-7. 2006..treated with piperacillin-tazobactam to determine if the susceptibility breakpoint predicts outcome...
- Mutant prevention concentrations of levofloxacin alone and in combination with azithromycin, ceftazidime, colistin (Polymyxin E), meropenem, piperacillin-tazobactam, and tobramycin against Pseudomonas aeruginosaGeorge G Zhanel
Department of Medical Microbiology, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 50:2228-30. 2006..MPCs) of levofloxacin alone and in combination with ceftazidime, colistin (polymyxin E), meropenem, piperacillin-tazobactam, and tobramycin were established against Pseudomonas aeruginosa...
- [The combination effects of antibacterial agents against clinical isolated multiple-drug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa]Shigefumi Maesaki
Department of Infectious Disease and Infection Control, Saitama Medical School 38 Morohongo Moroyama-machi Iruma-gun, Saitama 350-0495
Jpn J Antibiot 59:11-20. 2006..to inhibit the growth of 90% of bacterial strains) values of biapenem (BIPM), meropenem (MEPM), tazobactam/piperacillin (TAZ/PIPC), sulbactam/ cefoperazone (SBT/CPZ), cefepime (CFPM), ciprofloxacin (CPFX), pazufloxacin (PZFX), ..
- Detection of bacterial strains producing sulbactam- or tazobactam-sensitive beta-lactamases by the use of disks containing the inhibitors alone instead of combining them with antibioticsS Banic
Institute of Microbiology and Immunology, Medical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
APMIS 114:3-9. 2006..that disks containing beta-lactamase inhibitors sulbactam or tazobactam combined with ampicillin (SAM) and piperacillin (TZP) are not suitable for performing the double-disk synergy test (DDST) with the aim of determining the ..
- Comparison of antimicrobial resistance of Acinetobacter baumannii clinical isolates from Shanghai and Hong KongThomas K W Ling
Department of Microbiology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong, SAR, China
Med Princ Pract 14:338-41. 2005..To compare the antimicrobial resistance patterns of Acinetobacter baumannii isolates from Shanghai and Hong Kong...
- [Antibiotics--TAZ/PIPC, synercid, linezolid, everninomicin]H Hidai
Department of Infectious Disease, Tokyo Women's Medical University
Nippon Rinsho 59:785-9. 2001..TAZ/PIPC, a combination drug of a new beta-lactamase inhibitor tazobactam and piperacillin at ratio in 1 to 4 has a broad spectrum of antimicrobial activity...
- Evaluation of a modified double-disc synergy test for detection of extended spectrum beta-lactamases in AMPC beta-lactamase-producing proteus mirabilisM K R Khan
Department of Microbiology, V P Chest Institute, University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007, India
Indian J Med Microbiol 26:58-61. 2008..study, the performance of modified double-disc synergy test (MDDST) that employs a combination of cefepime and piperacillin-tazobactam for the detection of Proteus mirabilis producing extended spectrum and AmpC beta-lactamases was ..
- [Pharmacokinetics of antibiotics in inflamed and healthy lung tissue]Florian Tomaselli
Klinischen Abteilung für Thorax und Hyperbare Chirurgie, Universitatsklinik fur Chirurgie, Auenbruggerplatz 29, 8036 Graz, Osterreich
Wien Med Wochenschr 153:342-4. 2003..The lung penetration of cefpirom in elective thoracic surgery and piperacillin in septic thoracic surgery, substances with low protein binding, was measured...
- In vitro interaction between mecillinam and piperacillin-tazobactam in the presence of azithromycin against members of the Enterobacteriaceae family and Pseudomonas aeruginosaElisabetta Maioli
Section of Microbiology, C A Romanzi DISCAT, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
New Microbiol 31:37-46. 2008Mecillinam was tested in vitro alone or in combination with piperacillin-tazobactam and azithromycin against representative species of the Enterobacteriaceae family and Pseudomonas aeruginosa to extend its antibacterial spectrum, and to ..
- Surgical infections with enterococcus: outcome in patients treated with ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactamHedy Teppler
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, Pennsylvania 19422, USA
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 3:337-49. 2002..IAI), complicated skin and skin structure (CSSSI), or acute pelvic (PI) infection treated with ertapenem or piperacillin-tazobactam, which is more active in vitro against enterococci than ertapenem...
- Ertapenem versus piperacillin-tazobactam for treatment of mixed anaerobic complicated intra-abdominal, complicated skin and skin structure, and acute pelvic infectionsJose Tellado
CGI, H.G.U. Gregorio Maranon, Madrid, Spain
Surg Infect (Larchmt) 3:303-14. 2002..the efficacy of ertapenem, 1 g once a day, in the treatment of adults with anaerobic IAI, SSSI, and PI to piperacillin-tazobactam, 3.375 g every 6 hours...
- Piperacillin-tazobactam is more effective than ceftriaxone plus gentamicin in febrile neutropenic patients with hematological malignancies: a randomized comparisonM Gorschlüter
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Bonn, Sigmund Freud Str 25, 53105 Bonn, Germany
Support Care Cancer 11:362-70. 2003..b>Piperacillin-tazobactam monotherapy is promising, but its role in this setting still has to be defined.
- Bacterial susceptibilities to piperacillin/tazobactam in a tertiary care hospital: 5-year reviewE Platsouka
Microbiology Department, Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Chemother 15:27-30. 2003..During the 3-year period 1998-2000, the consumption of piperacillin/tazobactam (pip/tazo) increased by 85% in our hospital...
- Ertapenem versus piperacillin/tazobactam in the treatment of complicated intraabdominal infections: results of a double-blind, randomized comparative phase III trialJoseph S Solomkin
Department of Surgery, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio 45267 0558, USA
Ann Surg 237:235-45. 2003..To examine the clinical efficacy and safety of ertapenem, a novel beta-lactam agent with wide activity against common pathogens encountered in intraabdominal infection...
- In vitro activity of ertapenem against common clinical isolates in relation to human pharmacokineticsI Friedland
Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA, USA
J Chemother 14:483-91. 2002..pelvic, or complicated urinary tract infection or community acquired pneumonia was compared to ceftriaxone and piperacillin-tazobactam and related to known plasma concentrations of the three agents...
- ALTERED HEPATIC DISPOSITION OF ANIONIC DRUGS--MECHANISMSKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2000....
- ALTERED HEPATIC DISPOSITION OF ANIONIC DRUGS-MECHANISMSKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2004..The merit of this work is realized when one considers the number of xenobiotics that undergo hepatic elimination, and the potential for alterations in hepatic transport of these agents. ..
- Cell wall synthesis enzymes and beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faeciumLouis B Rice; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project aims to identify and characterize the complex and redundant mechanisms of ?-lactam resistance in an effort to better understand enterococcal physiology and promote identification of novel therapeutic targets. ..
- Ampicillin resistance mechanisms in E. faeciumLouis Rice; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- REGULATION OF AMPICILLIN RESISTANCE IN E FACEIUMLouis Rice; Fiscal Year: 2004..They will also yield important new information on mechanisms of cell wall synthesis in E. faecium and other Gram-positive bacteria as well as on the mechanisms by which ampicillin resistance in E. faecium is regulated. ..
- Novel Targets for Treatment of Pseudomonas aeruginosaPhilip Lister; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- ALTERED HEPATIC DISPOSITION OF ANIONIC DRUGS-MECHANISMSKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- HOST RESPONSE TO TRAUMA RESEARCH TRAINING PROGRAMJoseph Solomkin; Fiscal Year: 2007..D. or D.Sc.). We have demonstrated that the trainees participating in this program have a high likelihood of success in becoming university-based researchers. ..
- Therapy for Liver Cancer by Targeting Energy MetabolismJean Francois Geschwind; Fiscal Year: 2007..This translational study combining the use of radiological and basic science research tools is both necessary and fundamental to firmly lay the groundwork for clinical trials. ..
- Epidemiology of imipenem-resistant P.aeruginosaAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2007..Aim 4: Determine the cost-effectiveness of three different infection control interventions. ..
- New Nosocomial Interventions to Decrease Antimicrobial Resistance TransmissionAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- ALTERED HEPATIC DISPOSITION OF ANIONIC DRUGS-MECHANISMSKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2010..An important goal is to develop tools to predict and assess altered drug transport in humans. Results of these studies will impact drug development, improve outcomes of drug therapy, and help prevent drug-induced liver injury. ..
- Epidemiology of emerging pathogens among hospitalizeds patientsAnthony D Harris; Fiscal Year: 2010..The reasons for the emergence of A. baumannii are unknown and no interventions have been successful at curbing this emergence. For these reasons, A. baumannii is a significant public health problem. ..
- ALTERED HEPATIC DISPOSITION OF ANIONIC DRUGS-MECHANISMSKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Regulation of Cellular division in M. tuberculosisRICHARD SLAYDEN; Fiscal Year: 2006..Thus, the studies proposed in this application are designed to examine the replication dynamics of MTB, specifically focusing on cell cycle-regulated genes that are involved in cell division. ..
- DEVELOPMENT OF A MODEL TO PREDICT DRUG HEPATOTOXICITYKIM BROUWER; Fiscal Year: 2005..g., dog, monkey) as well as from humans is a particularly attractive feature of this novel in vitro model, and will be developed during the scale-up phase of this model system in a subsequent R33 application. ..
- Study design importance in analyzing emerging pathogensAnthony Harris; Fiscal Year: 2005..The second aim will be done by combining epidemiological relatedness and molecular relatedness through pulse-field gel electrophoresis of ESBL cultures to quantify the importance of patient to patient transmission. ..
- REGULATION OF NEUTROPHIL OXIDATIVE RESPONSES IN TRAUMAJoseph Solomkin; Fiscal Year: 2004..Together, these studies will define potential points for therapeutic intervention and provide important insight into regulation of the acute inflammatory response. ..