Summary: A nematocide in humans and animals. It acts by interfering with the carbohydrate metabolism and associated energy production of the parasite.
Publications235 found, 100 shown here
- Albendazole, mebendazole and praziquantel. Review of non-clinical toxicity and pharmacokineticsA D Dayan
Parasitic Diseases and Vector Control PVC, Communicable Diseases Control, Prevention and Eradication CPE, World Health Organization, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Acta Trop 86:141-59. 2003The pharmacokinetics and toxicity of albendazole, mebendazole and praziquantel are extensively reviewed, drawing on original published work and reviews in the open scientific literature and on assessments by international agencies and ..
- Spinal hydatidosisAntonio Herrera
Service of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Miguel Servet University Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2439-44. 2005..Retrospective study...
- Efficacy of current drugs against soil-transmitted helminth infections: systematic review and meta-analysisJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, PO Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
JAMA 299:1937-48. 2008..Preventive chemotherapy is the mainstay of control, but only 4 drugs are available: albendazole, mebendazole, levamisole, and pyrantel pamoate.
- Efficacy of single-dose and triple-dose albendazole and mebendazole against soil-transmitted helminths and Taenia spp.: a randomized controlled trialPeter Steinmann
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e25003. 2011..helminth (STH) infections currently relies on the large-scale administration of single-dose oral albendazole or mebendazole. However, these treatment regimens have limited efficacy against hookworm and Trichuris trichiura in terms of ..
- Albendazole and mebendazole administered alone or in combination with ivermectin against Trichuris trichiura: a randomized controlled trialStefanie Knopp
Departments of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 51:1420-8. 2010Single-dose albendazole and mebendazole show limited efficacy in the treatment of trichuriasis...
- Low efficacy of single-dose albendazole and mebendazole against hookworm and effect on concomitant helminth infection in Lao PDRPhonepasong Ayé Soukhathammavong
National Institute of Public Health, Ministry of Health, Vientiane, Lao People s Democratic Republic
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1417. 2012Albendazole and mebendazole are increasingly deployed for preventive chemotherapy targeting soil-transmitted helminth (STH) infections...
- Treatment of eosinophilic meningitis with a combination of prednisolone and mebendazoleVerajit Chotmongkol
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:1122-4. 2006To study the efficacy of the combination of prednisolone and mebendazole for the treatment of eosinophilic meningitis, we conducted a pilot study among Thai patients with eosinophilic meningitis...
- Coverage and costs of a school deworming programme in 2007 targeting all primary schools in Lao PDRBounlay Phommasack
National School Health Taskforce, Department of Hygiene and Prevention, Ministry of Health, Simuang Road, Vientiane Capital, Lao PDR
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 102:1201-6. 2008..The Lao Government has addressed the problem by organizing regular anthelminthic chemotherapy with mebendazole 500mg for school and pre-school children in conjunction with health education activities incorporated into the ..
- Efficacy of different albendazole and mebendazole regimens against heavy-intensity Trichuris trichiura infections in school children, Jimma Town, EthiopiaZ Mekonnen
Department of Medical Laboratory Sciences and Pathology, College of Public Health and Medical Sciences, Jimma University, Ethiopia
Pathog Glob Health 107:207-9. 2013..Therefore, the objective of this study was to determine the efficacy of albendazole (ALB) and mebendazole (MBZ) administered randomly for 1 (ALB×1 and MBZ×1) or 2 days (ALB×2 and MBZ×2) to 385 school children with ..
- Antiparasitic mebendazole shows survival benefit in 2 preclinical models of glioblastoma multiformeRen Yuan Bai
Ludwig Collaborative Laboratory, Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Neuro Oncol 13:974-82. 2011..Subsequent in vitro and in vivo experiments with benzimidazoles identified mebendazole as the more promising drug for GBM therapy...
- The acceptability and safety of praziquantel alone and in combination with mebendazole in the treatment of Schistosoma mansoni and soil-transmitted helminthiasis in children aged 1-4 years in UgandaHarriet Namwanje
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, P O Box 1661, Kampala, Uganda
Parasitology 138:1586-92. 2011..In addition, although mebendazole has been extensively used together with praziquantel against infections with schistosomiasis and soil-..
- Efficacy of single and double doses of albendazole and mebendazole alone and in combination in the treatment of Trichuris trichiura in school-age children in UgandaHarriet Namwanje
Vector Control Division, Ministry of Health, P O Box 1661, Kampala, Uganda
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 105:586-90. 2011..to compare the efficacies of single and double doses of a combination of 400mg albendazole (ALB) and 500mg mebendazole (MBZ) with those of single and double doses of each drug given alone in the treatment of Trichuris trichiura...
- Hepatic and extra-hepatic metabolic pathways involved in flubendazole biotransformation in sheepLaura Maté
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Departamento de Fisiopatologia, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, 7000 Tandil, Argentina
Biochem Pharmacol 76:773-83. 2008..CBR substrates such as menadione and mebendazole (a non-fluoride analogue of FLBZ), inhibited this liver microsomal enzymatic reaction, which may confirm the ..
- Comparison of the efficacy of mebendazole, albendazole and pyrantel in treatment of human hookworm infections in the southern region of Mali, West AfricaM Sacko
Institut National de Recherche en Sante Publique INRSP, Service de Parasitologie, Bamako Coura, Mali
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 93:195-203. 1999A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the efficacy of pyrantel (single dose 12.5 mg/kg bodyweight), mebendazole (single 500 mg dose) and albendazole (single 400 mg dose) in the treatment of hookworm infections (Necator americanus) ..
- Quality evaluation of generic drugs by dissolution test: changing the USP dissolution medium to distinguish between active and non-active mebendazole polymorphsErna Swanepoel
Research Institute for Industrial Pharmacy, Potchefstroom University for CHE, Potchefstroom, South Africa
Eur J Pharm Biopharm 55:345-9. 2003b>Mebendazole is practically insoluble in water and studies of its polymorphism has led to the identification and characterization of three polymorphic forms (A, B, C) displaying solubility and therapeutic differences that show that ..
- Comparative effect of mebendazole, albendazole, tribendimidine, and praziquantel in treatment of rats infected with Clonorchis sinensisShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease, Control and Prevention, Key Laboratory of Parasite and Vector Biology, MOH, WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria, Schistosomiasis, and Filariasis, Shanghai 200025, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 108:723-30. 2011The aim of the study is to understand the anti-Clonorchis sinensis properties of mebendazole and albendazole, and compare to praziquantel and tribendimidine...
- Nitazoxanide compared with quinfamide and mebendazole in the treatment of helminthic infections and intestinal protozoa in childrenCesar E Davila-Gutierrez
Unidad de Investigacion en Epidemiologia Clinica, Hospital General de Zona y Medicina Familiar No Uno, Dr Leonel Ramírez Garcia, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Colima, Mexico
Am J Trop Med Hyg 66:251-4. 2002..The present study was carried out to evaluate the effectiveness of nitazoxanide compared with that of quinfamide, mebendazole, or both in the treatment of intestinal protozoa and helminthic infections...
- The effects of fenbendazole, flubendazole and mebendazole on activities of hepatic cytochromes P450 in pigV Baliharová
Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University, Heyrovskeho 1203, CZ 50005 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 27:85-90. 2004Fenbendazole (FBZ), flubendazole (FLBZ) and mebendazole (MBZ) are benzimidazole anthelmintics widely used in veterinary medicine...
- A comparative study of albendazole and mebendazole-induced, time-dependent oxidative stressClaudriana Locatelli
Departmentos de Ecologia e Zoologia, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, Brazil
Redox Rep 9:89-95. 2004Albendazole (ABZ) and mebendazole (MBZ) are two benzimidazole-derived drugs that show remarkable antihelmintic activity and are widely used in the treatment and control of helminths...
- Pharmacokinetic evaluation of guar gum-based colon-targeted drug delivery systems of mebendazole in healthy volunteersY S R Krishnaiah
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 530 003, India
J Control Release 88:95-103. 2003The pharmacokinetic evaluation of guar gum-based colon-targeted tablets of mebendazole against an immediate release tablet was carried out in human volunteers...
- Variable-temperature X-ray powder diffraction analysis of the crystal transformation of the pharmaceutically preferred polymorph C of mebendazoleMelgardt M de Villiers
School of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe, Louisiana 71209, USA
J Pharm Biomed Anal 38:435-41. 2005b>Mebendazole is a common benzimidazole anthelmintic that is water insoluble. It is reported to exist in three different polymorphic forms in the solid state, i.e. polymorph A, B and C...
- Development of colon targeted drug delivery systems for mebendazoleY S Krishnaiah
Pharmaceutical Technology Division, Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Engineering, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam 530 003, India
J Control Release 77:87-95. 2001The objective of the present study is to develop colon targeted drug delivery systems for mebendazole using guar gum as a carrier...
- Study of the reproductive capacity of Trichinella spiralis recovered from experimentally infected mice under-dosed with albendazole or mebendazoleJ L De-La-Rosa
Laboratory of Tissular Helminthes, Institute of Epidemiological Diagnostic and Reference Ministry of Health Mexico City, 11340 Mexico
Trop Biomed 24:93-7. 2007..of Trichinella spiralis recovered from experimentally infected mice under-dosed with albendazole (ALB) or mebendazole (MEB) was studied. Different groups of male C57/BL mice were infected with 10 +/- 0...
- Efficacy of thiabendazole, mebendazole, levamisole and ivermectin against gullet worm, Gongylonema pulchrum: in vitro and in vivo studiesNoboru Kudo
Department of Veterinary Parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, Kitasato University, Towada, Aomori, Japan
Vet Parasitol 151:46-52. 2008In vitro and in vivo studies were conducted to evaluate the effects of thiabendazole, mebendazole, levamisole and ivermectin against Gongylonema pulchrum...
- Characterization of polymorph transformations that decrease the stability of tablets containing the WHO essential drug mebendazoleMarius Brits
Research Institute for Industrial Pharmacy and CENQAM, North West University, Potchefstroom 2520, South Africa
J Pharm Sci 99:1138-51. 2010This study investigated the influence of moisture and heat on the stability of mebendazole polymorph C in tablets...
- Antiproliferative effect of benzimidazole anthelmintics albendazole, ricobendazole, and flubendazole in intestinal cancer cell linesVera Králová
Department of Medical Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Charles University in Prague, Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Anticancer Drugs 24:911-9. 2013..The anthelmintic benzimidazole drugs ABZ and FLU show a significant cytostatic effect and potentiate the efficacy of PTX in intestinal cancer cells...
- Determination of the minmum effective dosages of praziquantel, albendazole, and mebendazole against Clonorchis sinensis infection in ratsPing Chin Fan
Institute of Tropical Medicine and Department of Parasitology, National Yangming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 21:448-51. 2005In order to determine the minimum effective dosages of praziquantel, albendazole, and mebendazole against Clonorchis sinensis infection in Sprague-Dawley rats, each rat was infected with 30 metacercariae and treated with one of three ..
- Treatment coverage survey after a school-based mass distribution of mebendazole: Kampot Province, CambodiaNicholas Chesnaye
Division of Parasitic Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, United States
Acta Trop 118:21-6. 2011..helminth (STH) infections in school age children (SAC, 6-14 years old), Children Without Worms donates mebendazole to 8 countries with high prevalence of STH infections...
- Activities of biotransformation enzymes in pheasant (Phasianus colchicus) and their modulation by in vivo administration of mebendazole and flubendazoleM Savlík
Department of Biochemical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, Charles University, Heyrovskeho 1203, CZ 50005 Hradec Kralove, Czech Republic
Res Vet Sci 83:20-6. 2007..biotransformation enzymes and modulation of their activities by anthelmintics flubendazole (FLBZ) and mebendazole (MBZ) were investigated in subcellular fractions that were prepared from liver and small intestine of control ..
- Effect of single-dose albendazole and single-dose mebendazole on Necator americanusP Nontasut
Department of Helminthology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 20:237-42. 1989..Group II, 54 children, received a single dose mebendazole, 600 mg. After treatment, repeated stool examination was performed on Day 14, Day 21 and Day 28...
- Integrated pharmacological assessment of flubendazole potential for use in sheep: disposition kinetics, liver metabolism and parasite diffusion abilityL Moreno
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Departamento de Fisiopatologia, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires UNCPBA, Campus Universitario, Tandil, Argentina
J Vet Pharmacol Ther 27:299-308. 2004..The data on FLBZ pharmacological behaviour presented here contribute to evaluate its potential to be developed as an anthelmintic for broad spectrum parasite control in ruminants...
- Population-based case-control study of mebendazole in pregnant women for birth outcomesNandor Acs
Second Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Semmelweis University, School of Medicine, Budapest, Hungary
Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 45:85-8. 2005The objectives of the study was to check the embryotoxic-teratogenic and fetotoxic effect of mebendazole (Vermox; Richter, Budapest, Hungary) treatment during pregnancy...
- [Effectiveness and safety of mebendazole compared to nitazoxanide in the treatment of Giardia lamblia in children]R Rodriguez-Garcia
Servicio de Pediatria, Hospital General de Zona No 32, Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social, Minatitlán, Veracruz
Rev Gastroenterol Mex 64:122-6. 1999Compare the effectiveness and safety of mebendazole versus nitazoxanide in the treatment of Giardia lamblia in children...
- Evaluation of treatment and long-term follow-up in patients with hepatic alveolar echinococcosisZ Kadry
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Surg 92:1110-6. 2005....
- Low dose daily iron supplementation improves iron status and appetite but not anemia, whereas quarterly anthelminthic treatment improves growth, appetite and anemia in Zanzibari preschool childrenRebecca J Stoltzfus
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY UNICEF, Zanzibar, Tanzania
J Nutr 134:348-56. 2004..A 12-mo randomized, placebo controlled, double-blind trial of 10 mg daily iron and/or mebendazole (500 mg) every 3 mo was conducted in a community-based sample of 459 Zanzibari children age 6-71 mo with ..
- Reducing intestinal nematode infection: efficacy of albendazole and mebendazoleA Bennett
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease WTCEID, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK OX1 3FY
Parasitol Today 16:71-4. 2000The widespread use of mebendazole and albendazole for treating intestinal nematode infections in human populations is raising concerns that careful monitoring pro- cedures should be in place to identify any emergence of drug resistance...
- Combined treatment with interleukin-12 and mebendazole lessens the severity of experimental eosinophilic meningitis caused by Angiostrongylus cantonensis in ICR miceWen Yuan Du
Division of Parasitology, Graduate Institute of Microbiology, College of Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei Pesticide Toxicology Department, Taiwan Agricultural Chemicals and Toxic Substances Research Institute, Taichung, Taiwan
Infect Immun 71:3947-53. 2003..Mice were orally infected with 35 infective larvae. One group of mice were given a single dose of mebendazole (20 mg/kg of body weight) per os at various times and examined at 14 days postinfection (dpi) for worm recovery ..
- Efficacy of mebendazole and albendazole for Ascaris lumbricoides and hookworm infections in an area with long time exposure for antihelminthes, Northwest EthiopiaSolomon Adugna
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, P O Box 1391, Gondar, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 45:301-6. 2007The efficacy of mebendazole and albendazole in the treatment of Ascaris lumbricoides and hookworm infections was evaluated in school children in an area with long time exposure for broad spectrum anthelminthic drugs.
- Low efficacy of mebendazole against hookworm in Vietnam: two randomized controlled trialsCarsten Flohr
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:732-6. 2007..The treatment used in Vietnam is single dose oral mebendazole (Phardazone) 500 mg...
- Efficacy of mebendazole and levamisole alone or in combination against intestinal nematode infections after repeated targeted mebendazole treatment in ZanzibarM Albonico
Ivo de Carneri Foundation, Milan, Italy
Bull World Health Organ 81:343-52. 2003To evaluate the efficacy of and resistance to mebendazole (500 mg) and levamisole (40 or 80 mg), alone or in combination, for the treatment of Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuris trichiura and hookworm infections on Pemba Island - an area ..
- Changed crystallinity of mebendazole solid dispersion: improved anthelmintic activityJuan J García-Rodriguez
Department of Parasitology, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Pharm 403:23-8. 2011To improve the efficacy of mebendazole (MBZ), a poorly water-soluble drug, MBZ solid dispersions containing different proportions of low-substituted hydroxypropylcellulose (L-HPC) were prepared by lyophilization process...
- Randomized clinical study of five days apostrophe therapy with mebendazole compared to quinacrine in the treatment of symptomatic giardiasis in childrenRoberto Canete
Hygiene, Epidemiology and Microbiology Centre, Matanzas City, Cuba
World J Gastroenterol 12:6366-70. 2006To compare the efficacy and safety of five days apostrophe therapy of mebendazole (MBZ) versus quinacrine (QC) on human giardiasis in children.
- A double-blind randomized controlled trial of antenatal mebendazole to reduce low birthweight in a hookworm-endemic area of PeruRenee Larocque
Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics and Occupational Health, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada
Trop Med Int Health 11:1485-95. 2006To assess the effect on birthweight of antenatal mebendazole plus iron vs. placebo plus iron in a highly hookworm-endemic area.
- Mebendazole induces apoptosis via Bcl-2 inactivation in chemoresistant melanoma cellsNicole Doudican
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Cancer Res 6:1308-15. 2008..Strikingly, 4 of the 10 compounds (mebendazole, albendazole, fenbendazole, and oxybendazole) are benzimidazoles, a class of structurally related, tubulin-..
- Albendazole and mebendazole have low efficacy against Trichuristrichiura in school-age children in Kabale District, UgandaAnnette Olsen
DBL Centre for Health Research and Development, Department of Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 57, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:443-6. 2009..groups of Trichuris trichiura-infected school-age children were treated with one dose 400mg albendazole, 100mg mebendazole twice daily for 3 d, or 100mg mebendazole twice daily for 5 d...
- Failure of mebendazole in the treatment of humans with Trichinella spiralis infection at the stage of encapsulating larvaeE Pozio
Laboratory of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 32:638-42. 2001..mice were collected from muscle biopsies performed at different times (from 1 day to 16 months) following the end of treatment, indicating the failure of mebendazole to kill Trichinella parasites when they are encapsulating in muscles.
- A randomized trial comparing mebendazole and secnidazole for the treatment of giardiasisA A Escobedo
Departamento de Parasitologia, Hospital Pediatrico Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina a 27, Plaza, Ciudad de La Habana, CP 10400, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:499-504. 2003..children (aged 5-15 years) with confirmed Giardia lamblia infection were randomly allotted to treatment with mebendazole (200 mg three times daily for 3 days) or secnidazole (30 mg/kg, in a single dose)...
- The efficacy of chemotherapy with mebendazole in human cystic echinococcosis: long-term follow-up of 52 patientsC Bartoloni
Istituto di Clinica Medica Generale e Terapia Medica, , , Rome, Italy
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:249-56. 1992..granulosus infection of the liver, lungs, bone and/or soft tissues were treated for several months with oral mebendazole (50-60 mg kg-1 day-1), in divided doses after fat-rich meals, either without surgery (WS), post-surgery (PS) or ..
- Soil-transmitted nematode infections and mebendazole treatment in Mafia Island schoolchildrenM Albonico
Ivo de Carneri Foundation, Via IV Marzo 14, 10122, Torino, Italy
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:717-26. 2002..americanus was more prevalent. This survey was followed by a parasitological evaluation of mebendazole treatment using a single, 500-mg dose...
- Effect of mebendazole on human cystic echinococcosis: the role of dosage and treatment durationK Vutova
Department of Infectious Diseases, Parasitology, Epidemiology and Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Medicine, Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 93:357-65. 1999Fifty-three patients with single, multiple and/or multi-organ hydatid cysts were treated with mebendazole, in varying dosages (30-70 mg/kg.day) and over varying periods (6-24 months)...
- Percutaneous aspiration-injection-reaspiration drainage plus albendazole or mebendazole for hepatic cystic echinococcosis: a meta-analysisRaymond A Smego
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Clin Infect Dis 37:1073-83. 2003..cystic echinococcosis treated with percutaneous aspiration-injection-reaspiration (PAIR) plus albendazole or mebendazole (group 1) with 952 era-matched historical control subjects undergoing surgical intervention (group 2)...
- Comparative clinical trial of mebendazole and metronidazole in giardiasis of childrenS M Sadjjadi
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Trop Pediatr 47:176-8. 2001..Each group received either mebendazole tablets 200 mg thrice daily for 5 days or metronidazole tablet 15 mg/kg/day in three divided doses, for 7 days...
- A comparative study of different albendazole and mebendazole regimens for the treatment of intestinal infections in school children of Usigu Division, western KenyaE M Muchiri
Division of Vector Borne Diseases, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, Kenya
J Parasitol 87:413-8. 2001..the effectiveness of 4- and 6-mo repeated treatment with albendazole 600 mg (Zentel, SmithKline Beecham) or mebendazole 600 mg (Vermox, Janssen) on geohelminth infections was carried out on children in 6 primary schools; the study ..
- [Long term eradication rate of mebendazole therapy for strongyloidiasis]K Shikiya
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:354-9. 1992We treated 245 strongyloidiasis patients with 7 schedules of mebendazole (MBZ) and obtained the eradication rates at 8 months to 2 years after the final treatment as described follows; MBZ (100 mg) was given twice a day orally...
- Pregnancy outcome after gestational exposure to mebendazole: a prospective controlled cohort studyOrna Diav-Citrin
Israeli Teratogen Information Service, Israel Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:282-5. 2003b>Mebendazole is an anthelmintic that is commonly needed in women of reproductive age. Its use in pregnancy is a reason for concern for women and their health care providers...
- Mebendazole elicits a potent antitumor effect on human cancer cell lines both in vitro and in vivoTapas Mukhopadhyay
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2963-9. 2002We have found that mebendazole (MZ), a derivative of benzimidazole, induces a dose- and time-dependent apoptotic response in human lung cancer cell lines...
- The anthelmintic drug mebendazole induces mitotic arrest and apoptosis by depolymerizing tubulin in non-small cell lung cancer cellsJi Ichiro Sasaki
Section of Thoracic Molecular Oncology, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:1201-9. 2002..In this study, we assess mebendazole (MZ), a microtubule-disrupting anthelmintic that exhibits a potent antitumor property both in vitro and in vivo...
- Effect of mebendazole therapy during pregnancy on birth outcomeN R de Silva
Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
Lancet 353:1145-9. 1999In areas endemic for hookworm, routine antenatal mebendazole therapy could greatly reduce the prevalence of anaemia in pregnancy...
- Surgery and postoperative mebendazole in the treatment of hydatid diseaseFuad F Ammari
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, PO Box 3030, Irbid 22110, Jordan
Saudi Med J 23:568-71. 2002..Our aim is to establish the outcome of chemotherapy in the postoperative period on secondary hydatid cyst...
- Effects of the Zanzibar school-based deworming program on iron status of childrenR J Stoltzfus
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 68:179-86. 1998..n = 952), and 4 schools in which students received thrice-yearly deworming (n = 970) with 500 mg generic mebendazole. Schools were randomly selected for evaluation and allocated to program groups...
- Outbreak of Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis associated with mebendazole and metronidazole use among Filipino laborers in TaiwanKow Tong Chen
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Center for Disease Control, Department of Health, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Public Health 93:489-92. 2003..This study sought to identify the risk factors associated with an outbreak of Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis (SJS/TEN) among Filipino laborers in Taiwan...
- Mebendazole inhibits growth of human adrenocortical carcinoma cell lines implanted in nude miceDaniele Martarelli
Department of Experimental Medicine and Public Health, University of Camerino, Via M Scalzino 3, 62032 Camerino Macerata, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 61:809-17. 2008..Recently, mebendazole has been proved to be effective against different cancers...
- Flubendazole in cystic echinococcosis therapy: pharmaco-parasitological evaluation in miceLaura Ceballos
Departamento de Fisiopatologia, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires UNCPBA, Campus Universitario, 7000 Tandil, Argentina
Parasitol Int 58:354-8. 2009....
- Synthesis and antiparasitic activity of albendazole and mebendazole analoguesGabriel Navarrete-Vázquez
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, UNAM, CU, DF 04510, Mexico
Bioorg Med Chem 11:4615-22. 2003Albendazole (Abz) and Mebendazole (Mbz) analogues have been synthesized and in vitro tested against the protozoa Giardia lamblia, Trichomonas vaginalis and the helminths Trichinella spiralis and Caenorhabditis elegans...
- A pediatric case of disseminated cystic echinococcosis successfully treated with mebendazoleZuhre Kaya
Department of Pediatrics, Medical School of Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:7-9. 2004..b>Mebendazole therapy produced complete resolution of the lung and kidney cysts...
- Increase in serum beta-carotene following dark green leafy vegetable supplementation in Mebendazole-treated school children in BangladeshV Persson
Section for International Maternal and Child Health, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:1-9. 2001..To study the effect of consumption of dark green leafy vegetables (DGLV) and sweet pumpkin on serum beta-carotene and retinol concentrations in children treated for Ascaris lumbricoides...
- Alveolar echinococcosis of the liver in an adult with human immunodeficiency virus type-1 infectionW Zingg
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Dept of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8og91 Zurich, Switzerland
Infection 32:299-302. 2004..The patient had therapeutic mebendazole drug levels with only 1/10 of the normal drug dose...
- Brain metastasis of alveolar echinococcosis in a hyperendemic focus of Echinococcus multilocularis infectionY R Yang
Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, Queensland Institute of Medical Research, 300 Herston Road, Brisbane, Q 4006, Australia
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 99:937-41. 2005..pregnancy, which may be suspected in this case, the favourable outcome after surgery and chemotherapy, and also a mental disability in a child following long-term intrauterine exposure to mebendazole, make the report particularly unique.
- Comparative efficacy of albendazole and three brands of mebendazole in the treatment of ascariasis and trichuriasisM Legesse
Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P O Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
East Afr Med J 81:134-8. 2004..the comparative efficacy of 400 mg albendazole (Smith Kline Beecham) as a single dose and three brands of mebendazole (Janssen, Unibios and East African Pharmaceuticals) at doses of 100 mg twice a day for three consecutive days ..
- A randomized, controlled, open-label trial of a single day of mebendazole versus a single dose of tinidazole in the treatment of giardiasis in childrenRoberto Canete
Cuban Institute of Gastroenterology, Havana City, Cuba
Curr Med Res Opin 22:2131-6. 2006..However, cases refractory to treatment with these drugs are becoming more common worldwide...
- The effect of iron fortification and de-worming on anaemia and iron status of Vietnamese schoolchildrenThi Le Huong
The Nutrition Department, Hanoi Medical University, No 1 Ton That Tung Str, Dongda, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Br J Nutr 97:955-62. 2007..anaemic children aged 6-8 years were randomly assigned to receive either iron-fortified noodles or placebo, and mebendazole or placebo...
- Spherical crystallization of mebendazole to improve processabilitySmiti Kumar
Department of Pharmaceutical Technology Formulations, National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Nagar, Punjab, India
Pharm Dev Technol 13:559-68. 2008..The present study was focused on spherical crystallization of an antihelmentic drug - Mebendazole (MBZ) - using spherical agglomeration technique...
- Treatment options for hepatic cystic echinococcosisRaymond A Smego
Department of Medicine, The University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND, USA
Int J Infect Dis 9:69-76. 2005..Pre- and post-intervention chemotherapy with albendazole or mebendazole offers the advantage of reducing the risk of disease recurrence and intraperitoneal seeding of infection that ..
- Efficacy of benzimidazole carbamate on an intestinal fluke co-infected with nematodesJitra Waikagul
Department of Helminthology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:233-7. 2005..At day 7 after treatment, albendazole (400 mg) induced 42.5% cure rate, mebendazole (500 mg) a cure rate of 32.4%, on the other hand, praziquantel (40 mg/kg) gave 94...
- [Overview of therapeutic options for cystic echinococcosis]E Brunetti
Divisione di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia
Parassitologia 46:53-5. 2004..Data from long-term follow-up studies are also discussed, with emphasis on the resulting stage-specific criteria for treatment...
- [Hydatid cyst of the kidney]H Ketata
Service d Urologie, Hopital Cochin, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75014 Paris, France
Ann Urol (Paris) 38:259-65. 2004..The percutaneous management, which includes puncture, aspiration, injection, and reaspiration, can be performed in very selected cases. However, the results of this technique are still under debate...
- [Human alveolar echinococcosis: an emerging zoonosis in Hungary and Europe]Tamás Sréter
Országos Allategészségügyi Intézet, Vadbetegségek és Parazitológiai Osztály, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:1655-63. 2004..The aim of the present paper is to summarize the current knowledge on the life cycle and distribution of E. multilocularis, and the epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and control of human alveolar echinococcosis...
- [Nosology and epidemiology of human toxocarosis--the recent situation in Austria]Herbert Auer
Abteilung fur Medizinische Parasitologie, Klinisches Institut fur Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:7-18. 2004....
- [The (children's) parasitic worms]Patrick L Scheid
Laborabteilung I, Funktionsgebiet Diagnostik, Laborgruppe Med Mikrobiologie, Labor für Med Parasitologie, Zentrales Institut des Sanitätsdienstes der Bundeswehr Koblenz
Kinderkrankenschwester 23:505-7. 2004
- Acute interstitial nephritis in a case of Ascaris lumbricoides infectionOliver Jung
Department of Nephrology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Univrsity, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1625-8. 2004
- [Spontaneous resolution of a retrovesical hydatidic cyst]Emilio Pintor-Holguín
Departamento de Especialidades Médicas, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Madrid
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:246-7. 2004
- Orthotopic liver transplantation for incurable alveolar echinococcosis: report of five cases from west ChinaD Xia
Center of Liver Transplantation, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, People s Republic of China
Transplant Proc 37:2181-4. 2005..Specific management is needed to improve the results: earlier decision for OLT in symptomatic disease, routine pre- and post-transplant therapy, reduced immunosuppression, and regular follow-up...
- Albendazole for the treatment of human echinococcosis: a review of comparative clinical trialsMatthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
Am J Med Sci 334:171-9. 2007..Albendazole has been used in various ways in the treatment of cystic echinococcosis (CE)...
- Single low-dose mebendazole administered quarterly for ascaris treatmentJohn D Cleary
School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA umsmed edu
Am J Med Sci 333:340-5. 2007..Intestinal parasites are difficult to eradicate in tropical climates where poor sanitation exists. In addition, pharmaceutical stability is poor making traditional three day dosing for the treatment of A. lumricoides challenging...
- An itchy holidayC van Nispen tot Pannerden
Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Section, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 65:188-90. 2007..She was treated for various diagnoses, without success. Finally she was successfully treated for a clinically suspected hookwormrelated folliculitis. A brief overview of hookworm-related folliculitis is given...
- [Thoracic hydatid cysts: news]M Elbiaze
Service des Maladies Respiratoires, hôpital Ibn Rochd, Casablanca Maroc
Rev Mal Respir 23:10S80-10S82. 2006
- Mass treatment for intestinal helminthiasis control in an Amazonian endemic area in BrazilMarcio Neves Boia
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Tropical, IOC, FiocruzRJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 48:189-95. 2006..samples for parasitological examination in 308 individuals, followed by a mass treatment with albendazole or mebendazole with coverage of 83% of the city population in 2003...
- [Echinococcus granulosus--diagnostics and therapy problems--case report]Brygida Adamek
Slaska Akademia Medyczna w Katowicach Katedra i Zakład Ogólnej Biologii Lekarskiej
Pol Merkur Lekarski 20:560-2. 2006..The necessity of taking the echinococcosis into account in occasionally found liver cysts differential diagnostics and individual choice of the optimal therapeutic schema was underlined...
- Should deworming be included in antenatal packages in hookworm-endemic areas of developing countries?Renee Larocque
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, QC
Can J Public Health 97:222-4. 2006..However, deworming has not been included in antenatal care packages in most developing countries...
- Chemotherapy of human cystic echinococcosis: comparative efficacy of mebendazole and albendazoleT Todorov
Medical Academy, Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:59-66. 1992The relative efficacy of mebendazole (MEB) and albendazole (ALB) was tested by treating 51 patients with single, multiple and multi-organ hydatid cysts; 28 patients were treated with MEB, 50-70 mg kg-1 body weight daily for six to 24 ..
- Hydatid disease of the liver and associated hepatocellular carcinomaEva Zold
University of Debrecen, 3rd Department of Medicine, Debrecen, Hungary
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:xxxv. 2005
- The types and timing of the degenerative changes seen in the cysts during and after benzimidazole treatment of cystic echinococcosisT Todorov
Department Clinic of Infectious, Parasitic and Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of Medicine, University Hospital St J Rilski, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:649-59. 2005..122 patients with abdominal and/or lung echinococcosis were randomly selected for treatment with albendazole or mebendazole. The main aims were to evaluate the effect of each drug on the hydatid cysts, to follow the changes in cyst ..
- An up-to-date on clinical management of human cystic echinococcosisA Teggi
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Ospedale Sant Andrea, University La Sapienza of Rome, Italy
Parassitologia 46:405-7. 2004..The therapeutic approach ranged from chemotherapy with benzimidazole carbamates (mebendazole and albendazole) to surgery, percutaneous non conventional treatment, and a "wait and see" approach, on the ..
- Clinical inquiries. What's the most effective treatment for giardiasis?Jeffrey D Kiser
Eglin AFB Family Medicine Residency, Eglin AFB, FL, USA
J Fam Pract 57:270-2. 2008
- Effect of two formulations of benzimidazole carbamates on the viability of cysts of Echinococcus granulosus in vivoK Daniel-Mwuambete
Departamento de Parasitologia, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Plaza Ramon y Cajal s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Parasite 10:371-3. 2003Two different preparations, solution and suspension, of three benzimidazole carbamate drugs, mebendazole, albendazole and ricobendazole, were compared by analyzing their in vivo activity against Echinococcus granulosus cysts in a mouse ..
- [Adult ascaris in the intrahepatic bile ducts]M C Receveur
Service de Medecine, centre hospitalier de Mayotte, BP 04, 97600 Mamoudzou
Presse Med 31:1705. 2002
- Evaluation of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness guidelines for treatment of intestinal helminth infections among sick children aged 2-4 years in western KenyaRenu Garg
International Child Survival and Emerging Infections Program Support Activity, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mail Stop F 22, 4770 Buford Hwy, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:543-8. 2002..and to evaluate the nutritional benefit of treating sick children without pallor with an anthelmintic (mebendazole is already part of IMCI treatment for sick children aged 2-4 years with palmar pallor in areas where hookworm ..
- Two cases of imported gnathostomiasis in Spanish womenS Puente
Seccion de Medicina Tropical, Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Carlos III, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:617-20. 2002..The cases reported here demonstrate the increasing frequency with which human gnathostomiasis is being diagnosed in nonendemic countries as a result of more extensive international travel and migration...
- [Hepatic round focus with pruritus]Peter Stiefelhagen
DRK Krankenhaus Westerwald, D 57627 Hachenburg
MMW Fortschr Med 145:47, 51. 2003
- Percutaneous sonographically guided treatment of hydatid cysts in sheep: direct injection of mebendazole and albendazoleYahya Paksoy
Ultra Görüntüleme Merkezi, Konya, Turkey
J Ultrasound Med 22:797-803. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the scolicidal effect of intracystic injection of benzimidazolic solutions in naturally infected sheep with hydatid disease...
- Primary ovarian echinococcosisSema Zergeroglu
Department of Pathology, Zekai Tahir Burak Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 270:285-6. 2004..The incidence of genital system hydatid disease in abdominal operation is 0.1%. During a period of 20 years (1957-1977), 12 cases were reported. This disease has no specific symptoms and findings. It is diagnosed intraoperatively...
- Phase II clinical trial of stage specific treatment of cystic echinococcosis (EchThomas Junghanss; Fiscal Year: 2010..aspiration, injection of protoscolicidal agent, reaspiration), (3) chemotherapy with albendazole (ABZ) or mebendazole (MBZ), and (4) watch and wait for inactive, clinically silent cysts...
- A Strategy to Reduce Stunting of Growth in Early Infancy: a Global Network StudyCarl Bose; Fiscal Year: 2013..In this study, we will use the ati-parasitic drug, mebendazole. Because there is little knowledge about the pharmacokinetics (PK) and safety of this drug (or any other anti-..
- TRICHINELLOSIS AND REGULATION OF HOST GENE EXPRESSIONDouglas Jasmer; Fiscal Year: 2001..Methods were developed to extract these nuclear antigens (NA). It was further shown that mebendazole treatment of mice depletes NA from host nuclei and simultaneously leads to diminution in size of infected cell ..
- APLASTIC ANEMIA EPIDEMIOLOGY--INCIDENCE AND CASE CONTROLDavid Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2000..g., mebendazole). The new phase of data collection has already begun with support from other sources, which will cover 2...
- HOOKWORM LARVAL INFECTIVITY AND DEVELOPMENTPeter Hotez; Fiscal Year: 2002..The pharmacologic manipulation of parasite-derived protein kinases may offer a new approach to chemotherapy by taking larvae out of arrest. ..
- Heavy Metal Exposures in Women and Children, the Role of NutrientsRebecca Stoltzfus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The symposium will result in proceedings published in the Journal of Nutrition, one of the most widely read nutrition publications. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..