Summary: A nematocide in humans and animals. It acts by interfering with the carbohydrate metabolism and associated energy production of the parasite.
Publications210 found, 100 shown here
- Spinal hydatidosisAntonio Herrera
Service of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, Miguel Servet University Hospital, Zaragoza, Spain
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 30:2439-44. 2005..Retrospective study...
- Albendazole and mebendazole administered alone or in combination with ivermectin against Trichuris trichiura: a randomized controlled trialStefanie Knopp
Departments of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
Clin Infect Dis 51:1420-8. 2010Single-dose albendazole and mebendazole show limited efficacy in the treatment of trichuriasis...
- Albendazole, mebendazole and praziquantel. Review of non-clinical toxicity and pharmacokineticsA D Dayan
Parasitic Diseases and Vector Control PVC, Communicable Diseases Control, Prevention and Eradication CPE, World Health Organization, CH 1211 Geneva 27, Switzerland
Acta Trop 86:141-59. 2003The pharmacokinetics and toxicity of albendazole, mebendazole and praziquantel are extensively reviewed, drawing on original published work and reviews in the open scientific literature and on assessments by international agencies and ..
- Efficacy of current drugs against soil-transmitted helminth infections: systematic review and meta-analysisJennifer Keiser
Department of Medical Parasitology and Infection Biology, Swiss Tropical Institute, PO Box, CH 4002 Basel, Switzerland
JAMA 299:1937-48. 2008..Preventive chemotherapy is the mainstay of control, but only 4 drugs are available: albendazole, mebendazole, levamisole, and pyrantel pamoate.
- Low efficacy of mebendazole against hookworm in Vietnam: two randomized controlled trialsCarsten Flohr
Oxford University Clinical Research Unit, Hospital for Tropical Diseases, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Am J Trop Med Hyg 76:732-6. 2007..The treatment used in Vietnam is single dose oral mebendazole (Phardazone) 500 mg...
- Albendazole and mebendazole have low efficacy against Trichuristrichiura in school-age children in Kabale District, UgandaAnnette Olsen
DBL Centre for Health Research and Development, Department of Disease Biology, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Thorvaldsensvej 57, DK 1871 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103:443-6. 2009..groups of Trichuris trichiura-infected school-age children were treated with one dose 400mg albendazole, 100mg mebendazole twice daily for 3 d, or 100mg mebendazole twice daily for 5 d...
- Efficacy of single-dose and triple-dose albendazole and mebendazole against soil-transmitted helminths and Taenia spp.: a randomized controlled trialPeter Steinmann
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland
PLoS ONE 6:e25003. 2011..helminth (STH) infections currently relies on the large-scale administration of single-dose oral albendazole or mebendazole. However, these treatment regimens have limited efficacy against hookworm and Trichuris trichiura in terms of ..
- The efficacy of chemotherapy with mebendazole in human cystic echinococcosis: long-term follow-up of 52 patientsC Bartoloni
Istituto di Clinica Medica Generale e Terapia Medica, , , Rome, Italy
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:249-56. 1992..granulosus infection of the liver, lungs, bone and/or soft tissues were treated for several months with oral mebendazole (50-60 mg kg-1 day-1), in divided doses after fat-rich meals, either without surgery (WS), post-surgery (PS) or ..
- Comparison of the efficacy of mebendazole, albendazole and pyrantel in treatment of human hookworm infections in the southern region of Mali, West AfricaM Sacko
Institut National de Recherche en Sante Publique INRSP, Service de Parasitologie, Bamako Coura, Mali
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 93:195-203. 1999A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the efficacy of pyrantel (single dose 12.5 mg/kg bodyweight), mebendazole (single 500 mg dose) and albendazole (single 400 mg dose) in the treatment of hookworm infections (Necator americanus) ..
- Failure of mebendazole in the treatment of humans with Trichinella spiralis infection at the stage of encapsulating larvaeE Pozio
Laboratory of Parasitology, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 32:638-42. 2001..mice were collected from muscle biopsies performed at different times (from 1 day to 16 months) following the end of treatment, indicating the failure of mebendazole to kill Trichinella parasites when they are encapsulating in muscles.
- Changed crystallinity of mebendazole solid dispersion: improved anthelmintic activityJuan J García-Rodriguez
Department of Parasitology, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Int J Pharm 403:23-8. 2011To improve the efficacy of mebendazole (MBZ), a poorly water-soluble drug, MBZ solid dispersions containing different proportions of low-substituted hydroxypropylcellulose (L-HPC) were prepared by lyophilization process...
- Mebendazole induces apoptosis via Bcl-2 inactivation in chemoresistant melanoma cellsNicole Doudican
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Cancer Res 6:1308-15. 2008..Strikingly, 4 of the 10 compounds (mebendazole, albendazole, fenbendazole, and oxybendazole) are benzimidazoles, a class of structurally related, tubulin-..
- Reducing intestinal nematode infection: efficacy of albendazole and mebendazoleA Bennett
Wellcome Trust Centre for the Epidemiology of Infectious Disease WTCEID, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford, UK OX1 3FY
Parasitol Today 16:71-4. 2000The widespread use of mebendazole and albendazole for treating intestinal nematode infections in human populations is raising concerns that careful monitoring pro- cedures should be in place to identify any emergence of drug resistance...
- The effect of iron fortification and de-worming on anaemia and iron status of Vietnamese schoolchildrenThi Le Huong
The Nutrition Department, Hanoi Medical University, No 1 Ton That Tung Str, Dongda, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Br J Nutr 97:955-62. 2007..anaemic children aged 6-8 years were randomly assigned to receive either iron-fortified noodles or placebo, and mebendazole or placebo...
- Increase in serum beta-carotene following dark green leafy vegetable supplementation in Mebendazole-treated school children in BangladeshV Persson
Section for International Maternal and Child Health, Uppsala University, Sweden
Eur J Clin Nutr 55:1-9. 2001..To study the effect of consumption of dark green leafy vegetables (DGLV) and sweet pumpkin on serum beta-carotene and retinol concentrations in children treated for Ascaris lumbricoides...
- A comparative study of different albendazole and mebendazole regimens for the treatment of intestinal infections in school children of Usigu Division, western KenyaE M Muchiri
Division of Vector Borne Diseases, Ministry of Health, Nairobi, Kenya
J Parasitol 87:413-8. 2001..the effectiveness of 4- and 6-mo repeated treatment with albendazole 600 mg (Zentel, SmithKline Beecham) or mebendazole 600 mg (Vermox, Janssen) on geohelminth infections was carried out on children in 6 primary schools; the study ..
- Comparative clinical trial of mebendazole and metronidazole in giardiasis of childrenS M Sadjjadi
Department of Parasitology and Mycology, School of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Iran
J Trop Pediatr 47:176-8. 2001..Each group received either mebendazole tablets 200 mg thrice daily for 5 days or metronidazole tablet 15 mg/kg/day in three divided doses, for 7 days...
- Surgery and postoperative mebendazole in the treatment of hydatid diseaseFuad F Ammari
Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University of Science and Technology, PO Box 3030, Irbid 22110, Jordan
Saudi Med J 23:568-71. 2002..Our aim is to establish the outcome of chemotherapy in the postoperative period on secondary hydatid cyst...
- Mebendazole elicits a potent antitumor effect on human cancer cell lines both in vitro and in vivoTapas Mukhopadhyay
Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Clin Cancer Res 8:2963-9. 2002We have found that mebendazole (MZ), a derivative of benzimidazole, induces a dose- and time-dependent apoptotic response in human lung cancer cell lines...
- The anthelmintic drug mebendazole induces mitotic arrest and apoptosis by depolymerizing tubulin in non-small cell lung cancer cellsJi-ichiro Sasaki
Section of Thoracic Molecular Oncology, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 1:1201-9. 2002..In this study, we assess mebendazole (MZ), a microtubule-disrupting anthelmintic that exhibits a potent antitumor property both in vitro and in vivo...
- Pharmacokinetic evaluation of guar gum-based colon-targeted drug delivery systems of mebendazole in healthy volunteersY S R Krishnaiah
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, 530 003, India
J Control Release 88:95-103. 2003The pharmacokinetic evaluation of guar gum-based colon-targeted tablets of mebendazole against an immediate release tablet was carried out in human volunteers...
- Outbreak of Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis associated with mebendazole and metronidazole use among Filipino laborers in TaiwanKow-Tong Chen
Field Epidemiology Training Program, Center for Disease Control, Department of Health, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Am J Public Health 93:489-92. 2003..5 (95% confidence interval [CI] = 3.9, 23.9) among workers who had used both metronidazole and mebendazole sometime in the preceding 6 weeks...
- Efficacy of mebendazole and albendazole for Ascaris lumbricoides and hookworm infections in an area with long time exposure for antihelminthes, Northwest EthiopiaSolomon Adugna
Department of Biochemistry, College of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Gondar, P O Box 1391, Gondar, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 45:301-6. 2007The efficacy of mebendazole and albendazole in the treatment of Ascaris lumbricoides and hookworm infections was evaluated in school children in an area with long time exposure for broad spectrum anthelminthic drugs.
- Mebendazole inhibits growth of human adrenocortical carcinoma cell lines implanted in nude miceDaniele Martarelli
Department of Experimental Medicine and Public Health, University of Camerino, Via M Scalzino 3, 62032 Camerino Macerata, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 61:809-17. 2008..Recently, mebendazole has been proved to be effective against different cancers...
- Synthesis and antiparasitic activity of albendazole and mebendazole analoguesGabriel Navarrete-Vázquez
Departamento de Farmacia, Facultad de Quimica, UNAM, CU, DF 04510, Mexico
Bioorg Med Chem 11:4615-22. 2003Albendazole (Abz) and Mebendazole (Mbz) analogues have been synthesized and in vitro tested against the protozoa Giardia lamblia, Trichomonas vaginalis and the helminths Trichinella spiralis and Caenorhabditis elegans...
- Low dose daily iron supplementation improves iron status and appetite but not anemia, whereas quarterly anthelminthic treatment improves growth, appetite and anemia in Zanzibari preschool childrenRebecca J Stoltzfus
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY UNICEF, Zanzibar, Tanzania
J Nutr 134:348-56. 2004..A 12-mo randomized, placebo controlled, double-blind trial of 10 mg daily iron and/or mebendazole (500 mg) every 3 mo was conducted in a community-based sample of 459 Zanzibari children age 6-71 mo with ..
- Comparative efficacy of albendazole and three brands of mebendazole in the treatment of ascariasis and trichuriasisM Legesse
Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P.O. Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
East Afr Med J 81:134-8. 2004..the comparative efficacy of 400 mg albendazole (Smith Kline Beecham) as a single dose and three brands of mebendazole (Janssen, Unibios and East African Pharmaceuticals) at doses of 100 mg twice a day for three consecutive days ..
- Pregnancy outcome after gestational exposure to mebendazole: a prospective controlled cohort studyOrna Diav-Citrin
Israeli Teratogen Information Service, Israel Ministry of Health, Jerusalem, Israel
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:282-5. 2003OBJECTIVE: Mebendazole is an anthelmintic that is commonly needed in women of reproductive age. Its use in pregnancy is a reason for concern for women and their health care providers...
- Percutaneous aspiration-injection-reaspiration drainage plus albendazole or mebendazole for hepatic cystic echinococcosis: a meta-analysisRaymond A Smego
Department of Medicine, Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
Clin Infect Dis 37:1073-83. 2003..cystic echinococcosis treated with percutaneous aspiration-injection-reaspiration (PAIR) plus albendazole or mebendazole (group 1) with 952 era-matched historical control subjects undergoing surgical intervention (group 2)...
- [Long term eradication rate of mebendazole therapy for strongyloidiasis]K Shikiya
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 66:354-9. 1992We treated 245 strongyloidiasis patients with 7 schedules of mebendazole (MBZ) and obtained the eradication rates at 8 months to 2 years after the final treatment as described follows; MBZ (100 mg) was given twice a day orally...
- Effects of the Zanzibar school-based deworming program on iron status of childrenR J Stoltzfus
Center for Human Nutrition, Department of International Health, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 68:179-86. 1998..n = 952), and 4 schools in which students received thrice-yearly deworming (n = 970) with 500 mg generic mebendazole. Schools were randomly selected for evaluation and allocated to program groups...
- Effect of mebendazole therapy during pregnancy on birth outcomeN R de Silva
Faculty of Medicine, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
Lancet 353:1145-9. 1999In areas endemic for hookworm, routine antenatal mebendazole therapy could greatly reduce the prevalence of anaemia in pregnancy...
- Soil-transmitted nematode infections and mebendazole treatment in Mafia Island schoolchildrenM Albonico
Ivo de Carneri Foundation, Via IV Marzo 14, 10122, Torino, Italy
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 96:717-26. 2002..americanus was more prevalent. This survey was followed by a parasitological evaluation of mebendazole treatment using a single, 500-mg dose...
- Treatment of eosinophilic meningitis with a combination of prednisolone and mebendazoleVerajit Chotmongkol
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
Am J Trop Med Hyg 74:1122-4. 2006To study the efficacy of the combination of prednisolone and mebendazole for the treatment of eosinophilic meningitis, we conducted a pilot study among Thai patients with eosinophilic meningitis...
- Randomized clinical study of five days apostrophe therapy with mebendazole compared to quinacrine in the treatment of symptomatic giardiasis in childrenRoberto Canete
Hygiene, Epidemiology and Microbiology Centre, Matanzas City, Cuba
World J Gastroenterol 12:6366-70. 2006AIM: To compare the efficacy and safety of five days apostrophe therapy of mebendazole (MBZ) versus quinacrine (QC) on human giardiasis in children...
- A randomized, controlled, open-label trial of a single day of mebendazole versus a single dose of tinidazole in the treatment of giardiasis in childrenRoberto Canete
Cuban Institute of Gastroenterology, Havana City, Cuba
Curr Med Res Opin 22:2131-6. 2006..However, cases refractory to treatment with these drugs are becoming more common worldwide...
- Effect of mebendazole on human cystic echinococcosis: the role of dosage and treatment durationK Vutova
Department of Infectious Diseases, Parasitology, Epidemiology and Tropical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Medicine, Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 93:357-65. 1999Fifty-three patients with single, multiple and/or multi-organ hydatid cysts were treated with mebendazole, in varying dosages (30-70 mg/kg.day) and over varying periods (6-24 months)...
- A randomized trial comparing mebendazole and secnidazole for the treatment of giardiasisA A Escobedo
Departamento de Parasitologia, Hospital Pediatrico Pedro Borrás, Calle F No 616 esquina a 27, Plaza, Ciudad de La Habana, CP 10400, Cuba
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 97:499-504. 2003..children (aged 5-15 years) with confirmed Giardia lamblia infection were randomly allotted to treatment with mebendazole (200 mg three times daily for 3 days) or secnidazole (30 mg/kg, in a single dose)...
- Efficacy of mebendazole and levamisole alone or in combination against intestinal nematode infections after repeated targeted mebendazole treatment in ZanzibarM Albonico
Ivo de Carneri Foundation, Milan, Italy
Bull World Health Organ 81:343-52. 2003OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy of and resistance to mebendazole (500 mg) and levamisole (40 or 80 mg), alone or in combination, for the treatment of Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuris trichiura and hookworm infections on Pemba Island - ..
- Treatment options for hepatic cystic echinococcosisRaymond A Smego
Department of Medicine, The University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND, USA
Int J Infect Dis 9:69-76. 2005..Pre- and post-intervention chemotherapy with albendazole or mebendazole offers the advantage of reducing the risk of disease recurrence and intraperitoneal seeding of infection that ..
- [The (children's) parasitic worms]Patrick L Scheid
Laborabteilung I, Funktionsgebiet Diagnostik, Laborgruppe Med Mikrobiologie, ,
Kinderkrankenschwester 23:505-7. 2004
- [Nosology and epidemiology of human toxocarosis--the recent situation in Austria]Herbert Auer
Abteilung fur Medizinische Parasitologie, Klinisches Institut fur Hygiene und Medizinische Mikrobiologie, Medizinische Universität Wien, Wien, Osterreich
Wien Klin Wochenschr 116:7-18. 2004....
- [Hydatid cyst of the kidney]H Ketata
Service d'Urologie, , 27, rue du Faubourg-Saint-Jacques, 75014 Paris, France
Ann Urol (Paris) 38:259-65. 2004..The percutaneous management, which includes puncture, aspiration, injection, and reaspiration, can be performed in very selected cases. However, the results of this technique are still under debate...
- Alveolar echinococcosis of the liver in an adult with human immunodeficiency virus type-1 infectionW Zingg
Division of Infectious Diseases and Hospital Epidemiology, Dept of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Zurich, CH 8og91 Zurich, Switzerland
Infection 32:299-302. 2004..The patient had therapeutic mebendazole drug levels with only 1/10 of the normal drug dose...
- A pediatric case of disseminated cystic echinococcosis successfully treated with mebendazoleZuhre Kaya
Department of Pediatrics, Medical School of Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:7-9. 2004..b>Mebendazole therapy produced complete resolution of the lung and kidney cysts...
- A lasting solution is hard to achieve in primary hydatid disease of the spine: long-term results and an overviewHaci Mustafa Ozdemir
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Meram School of Medicine, , Konya, Turkey
Spine 29:932-7. 2004..Combined chemotherapy with either mebendazole or albendazole was also given. The mean age was 52 years, and the mean follow-up time was 92 months...
- [Human alveolar echinococcosis: an emerging zoonosis in Hungary and Europe]Tamás Sréter
Országos Allategészségügyi Intézet, Vadbetegségek és Parazitológiai Osztály, Budapest
Orv Hetil 145:1655-63. 2004..The aim of the present paper is to summarize the current knowledge on the life cycle and distribution of E. multilocularis, and the epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and control of human alveolar echinococcosis...
- [Overview of therapeutic options for cystic echinococcosis]E Brunetti
Divisione di Malattie Infettive e Tropicali, IRCCS Policlinico S. Matteo, , Pavia
Parassitologia 46:53-5. 2004..Data from long-term follow-up studies are also discussed, with emphasis on the resulting stage-specific criteria for treatment...
- [Spontaneous resolution of a retrovesical hydatidic cyst]Emilio Pintor-Holguín
Departamento de Especialidades Médicas, Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud, Universidad Europea de Madrid, Madrid
Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin 22:246-7. 2004
- Acute interstitial nephritis in a case of Ascaris lumbricoides infectionOliver Jung
Department of Nephrology, Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Univrsity, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1625-8. 2004
- Impact of antihelminthic treatment on infection by Ascaris lumbricoides, Trichuris trichiura and hookworms in Covas, a rural community of Pernambuco, BrazilLuciana Carvalho Zani
Departamento de Biologia, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, , Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 46:63-71. 2004..Infected subjects were assigned to two groups for treatment with either albendazole (n = 62) or mebendazole (n = 57). Prevalence of infection fell significantly (p < 0.05) one month after treatment: Al (from 47...
- [Imaging methods in the diagnosis and therapy of cystic echinococcosis]W Hosch
Abteilung Radiodiagnostik, Universitatsklinikum Heidelberg
Rofo 176:679-87. 2004..Apart from surgery three other treatment options are well established: (1) chemotherapy with albendazole or mebendazole, (2) percutaneous drainage and sterilization (PAIR) and (3) observation of inactive echinococcal stages ("..
- Effect of two formulations of benzimidazole carbamates on the viability of cysts of Echinococcus granulosus in vivoK Daniel-Mwuambete
, Facultad de Farmacia, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, , 28040 Madrid, Spain
Parasite 10:371-3. 2003Two different preparations, solution and suspension, of three benzimidazole carbamate drugs, mebendazole, albendazole and ricobendazole, were compared by analyzing their in vivo activity against Echinococcus granulosus cysts in a mouse ..
- Efficacy of benzimidazole carbamate on an intestinal fluke co-infected with nematodesJitra Waikagul
Department of Helminthology, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10400, Thailand
J Med Assoc Thai 88:233-7. 2005..At day 7 after treatment, albendazole (400 mg) induced 42.5% cure rate, mebendazole (500 mg) a cure rate of 32.4%, on the other hand, praziquantel (40 mg/kg) gave 94...
- Orthotopic liver transplantation for incurable alveolar echinococcosis: report of five cases from west ChinaD Xia
Center of Liver Transplantation, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, People's Republic of China
Transplant Proc 37:2181-4. 2005..Specific management is needed to improve the results: earlier decision for OLT in symptomatic disease, routine pre- and post-transplant therapy, reduced immunosuppression, and regular follow-up...
- Evaluation of treatment and long-term follow-up in patients with hepatic alveolar echinococcosisZ Kadry
Department of Visceral and Transplantation Surgery, University Hospital Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
Br J Surg 92:1110-6. 2005..706). CONCLUSION: Debulking hepatic resections do not appear to offer any advantage in the treatment of patients with alveolar echinococcosis...
- Clinical inquiries. What's the most effective treatment for giardiasis?Jeffrey D Kiser
Eglin AFB Family Medicine Residency, Eglin AFB, FL, USA
J Fam Pract 57:270-2. 2008
- Albendazole for the treatment of human echinococcosis: a review of comparative clinical trialsMatthew E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Athens, Greece
Am J Med Sci 334:171-9. 2007..Albendazole has been used in various ways in the treatment of cystic echinococcosis (CE)...
- Single low-dose mebendazole administered quarterly for ascaris treatmentJohn D Cleary
School of Pharmacy, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA umsmed edu
Am J Med Sci 333:340-5. 2007..Intestinal parasites are difficult to eradicate in tropical climates where poor sanitation exists. In addition, pharmaceutical stability is poor making traditional three day dosing for the treatment of A. lumricoides challenging...
- [Surgery of cardiac hydatid cysts. Experience of 39 years]G Orhan
Service de Chirurgie Cardiovasculaire et Thoracique, centre hospitalier Siyami Ersek, Istanbul, Turquie
Ann Cardiol Angeiol (Paris) 57:58-61. 2008..In our series, most were located in the right heart. In such cases clamping the pulmonary artery is mandatory to prevent pulmonary migration. Careful resection is important for prevention of recurrence...
- An itchy holidayC van Nispen tot Pannerden
Department of Internal Medicine, Infectious Diseases Section, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 65:188-90. 2007..She was treated for various diagnoses, without success. Finally she was successfully treated for a clinically suspected hookwormrelated folliculitis. A brief overview of hookworm-related folliculitis is given...
- [Thoracic hydatid cysts: news]M Elbiaze
Service des Maladies Respiratoires, , Casablanca - Maroc
Rev Mal Respir 23:10S80-10S82. 2006
- Mass treatment for intestinal helminthiasis control in an Amazonian endemic area in BrazilMarcio Neves Boia
Laboratório de Doenças Parasitárias, Departamento de Medicina Tropical, IOC, FiocruzRJ, Brasil
Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo 48:189-95. 2006..samples for parasitological examination in 308 individuals, followed by a mass treatment with albendazole or mebendazole with coverage of 83% of the city population in 2003...
- [Echinococcus granulosus--diagnostics and therapy problems--case report]Brygida Adamek
Slaska Akademia Medyczna w Katowicach Katedra i Zakład Ogólnej Biologii Lekarskiej
Pol Merkur Lekarski 20:560-2. 2006..The necessity of taking the echinococcosis into account in occasionally found liver cysts differential diagnostics and individual choice of the optimal therapeutic schema was underlined...
- Should deworming be included in antenatal packages in hookworm-endemic areas of developing countries?Renee Larocque
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, QC
Can J Public Health 97:222-4. 2006..However, deworming has not been included in antenatal care packages in most developing countries...
- Determination of the minmum effective dosages of praziquantel, albendazole, and mebendazole against Clonorchis sinensis infection in ratsPing Chin Fan
Institute of Tropical Medicine and Department of Parasitology, National Yangming University, Taipei, Taiwan
Kaohsiung J Med Sci 21:448-51. 2005In order to determine the minimum effective dosages of praziquantel, albendazole, and mebendazole against Clonorchis sinensis infection in Sprague-Dawley rats, each rat was infected with 30 metacercariae and treated with one of three ..
- Hydatid disease of the liver and associated hepatocellular carcinomaEva Zold
University of Debrecen, 3rd Department of Medicine, Debrecen, Hungary
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 3:xxxv. 2005
- The types and timing of the degenerative changes seen in the cysts during and after benzimidazole treatment of cystic echinococcosisT Todorov
Department/Clinic of Infectious, Parasitic and Tropical Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, University of Medicine, University Hospital 'St J. Rilski, 1431 Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 99:649-59. 2005..122 patients with abdominal and/or lung echinococcosis were randomly selected for treatment with albendazole or mebendazole. The main aims were to evaluate the effect of each drug on the hydatid cysts, to follow the changes in cyst ..
- An up-to-date on clinical management of human cystic echinococcosisA Teggi
Dipartimento di Malattie Infettive, Ospedale Sant Andrea, University La Sapienza of Rome, Italy
Parassitologia 46:405-7. 2004..The therapeutic approach ranged from chemotherapy with benzimidazole carbamates (mebendazole and albendazole) to surgery, percutaneous non conventional treatment, and a "wait and see" approach, ..
- Chemotherapy of human cystic echinococcosis: comparative efficacy of mebendazole and albendazoleT Todorov
Medical Academy, Sofia, Bulgaria
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 86:59-66. 1992The relative efficacy of mebendazole (MEB) and albendazole (ALB) was tested by treating 51 patients with single, multiple and multi-organ hydatid cysts; 28 patients were treated with MEB, 50-70 mg kg-1 body weight daily for six to 24 ..
- Surgery and postoperative mebendazole in the treatment of hydatid diseaseAbdul-Wahed N Meshikhes
Saudi Med J 23:1425; author reply 1425. 2002
- Primary ovarian echinococcosisSema Zergeroglu
Department of Pathology, Zekai Tahir Burak Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 270:285-6. 2004..The incidence of genital system hydatid disease in abdominal operation is 0.1%. During a period of 20 years (1957-1977), 12 cases were reported. This disease has no specific symptoms and findings. It is diagnosed intraoperatively...
- Unusual localizations of hydatid diseaseC Col
Department of Surgery, Abant Izzet Baysal University Medical School, Bolu, Turkey
Acta Med Austriaca 30:61-4. 2003..Chemotherapy is usually given because of the risk of recurrence; this medical treatment consists in albendazole and mebendazole administration for 3-6 months in the postoperative period.
- Two cases of imported gnathostomiasis in Spanish womenS Puente
Seccion de Medicina Tropical, Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Carlos III, 28029 Madrid, Spain
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 21:617-20. 2002..The cases reported here demonstrate the increasing frequency with which human gnathostomiasis is being diagnosed in nonendemic countries as a result of more extensive international travel and migration...
- Echinococcus granulosus infection: clinical presentation, medical treatment and outcomePeter Kern
Section of Infectious Diseases and Clinical Immunology, University Hospital and Medical Center, Robert Kochstrasse 8, 89081, Ulm, Germany
Langenbecks Arch Surg 388:413-20. 2003..Adjunct treatment with benzimidazoles is the cornerstone of the interdisciplinary approach in cystic echinococcosis...
- [Adult ascaris in the intrahepatic bile ducts]M C Receveur
, centre hospitalier de Mayotte, BP 04, 97600 Mamoudzou
Presse Med 31:1705. 2002
- [Selective vs. mass treatment with antihelminthic drugs: experience in two hyperendemic communities]Daniel Beltramino
Servicio de Pediatria, Hospital J B Iturraspe, Santa Fe, Argentina
Rev Panam Salud Publica 13:10-8. 2003....
- Efficacy of alebendazole and mebendazole in the treatment of Ascaris and Trichuris infectionsMengistu Legesse
Institute of Pathobiology, Addis Ababa University, P.O. Box 1176, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Ethiop Med J 40:335-43. 2002This study was conducted to evaluate the efficacy of 100 mg mebendazole administered twice a day for three consecutive days and a single dose of 400 mg albendazole for the treatment of single or mixed Ascaris lumbricoides and Trichuris ..
- [Target chemotherapy of intestinal nematode infection in area with low endemicity]Tao Zhang
Department of Parasitology, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing 210029
Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi 20:174-6. 2002..Albendazole and mebendazole were administered each 200 mg once daily every year for 3 or 5 years...
- Evaluation of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness guidelines for treatment of intestinal helminth infections among sick children aged 2-4 years in western KenyaRenu Garg
International Child Survival and Emerging Infections Program Support Activity, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Mail Stop F-22, 4770 Buford Hwy, Atlanta, Georgia 30341, USA
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 96:543-8. 2002..and to evaluate the nutritional benefit of treating sick children without pallor with an anthelmintic (mebendazole is already part of IMCI treatment for sick children aged 2-4 years with palmar pallor in areas where hookworm ..
- [Hepatic round focus with pruritus]Peter Stiefelhagen
DRK-Krankenhaus Westerwald, D-57627 Hachenburg
MMW Fortschr Med 145:47, 51. 2003
- An outbreak of trichinellosis due to consumption of bear meat infected with Trichinella nativa, in 2 northern Saskatchewan communitiesRoberta S Schellenberg
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
J Infect Dis 188:835-43. 2003..All exposed individuals were treated with mebendazole or albendazole, and symptomatic patients received prednisone...
- Percutaneous sonographically guided treatment of hydatid cysts in sheep: direct injection of mebendazole and albendazoleYahya Paksoy
Ultra Görüntüleme Merkezi, Konya, Turkey
J Ultrasound Med 22:797-803. 2003..The purpose of this study was to investigate the scolicidal effect of intracystic injection of benzimidazolic solutions in naturally infected sheep with hydatid disease...
- Assays to detect beta-tubulin codon 200 polymorphism in Trichuris trichiura and Ascaris lumbricoidesAissatou Diawara
Institute of Parasitology, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 3:e397. 2009..The benzimidazole (BZ) drugs, albendazole (ALB) and mebendazole (MBZ), are commonly used for mass treatment for STH...
- In vitro nematicidal activity of extracts of Canthium mannii (Rubiaceae), on different life-cycle stages of Heligmosomoides polygyrus (Nematoda, Heligmosomatidae)J Wabo Pone
Department of Animal Biology, Faculty of Science, University of Dschang, PO Box 067, Dschang, Cameroon
J Helminthol 84:156-65. 2010..The different stages of the life cycle were also put in contact with the same concentration of mebendazole (MBZ, positive control)...
- Optimising the benefits of anthelmintic treatment in childrenL S Stephenson
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York 14853, USA
Paediatr Drugs 3:495-508. 2001..The drugs discussed here include the benzimidazoles (albendazole, levamisole and mebendazole), pyrantel, praziquantel, oxamniquine, ivermectin, diethylcarbamazine and some traditional medicines...
- Experimental chemotherapy of filariasis: comparative evaluation of the efficacy of filaricidal compounds in Mastomys coucha infected with Litomosoides carinii, Acanthocheilonema viteae, Brugia malayi and B. pahangiH Zahner
Institut für Parasitologie der Justus Liebig Universität, Giessen, Germany
Acta Trop 52:221-66. 1993..aminophenyl-amidines], (ii) predominantly macrofilaricidal compounds [suramin, benzimidazoles (flubendazole, mebendazole, oxfendazole, ciclobendazole, albendazole, cambendazole, fenbendazole), and arsenicals (thiacetarsamide, Mel PH,..
- Cystic echinococcosis in a Jordanian patient: albendazole in a short-term immigrantM Kimura
Department of Infectious Diseases and Applied Immunology, Institute of Medical Science, University of Tokyo
J Travel Med 6:249-53. 1999..Lastly, medical treatment with oral mebendazole or albendazole, especially the latter, can be beneficial not only as a adjunctive to surgery or PAIR, but as a ..
- Anthelmintics: a reviewJ K Grover
Department of Pharmacology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029
Trop Gastroenterol 22:180-9. 2001..Examples include thiabendazole for cutaneous larva migrans, mebendazole for ascariasis, trichiuriasis and hookworm, albendazole for inoperable cases of cystic hydatid disease, DEC for ..
- [Prevalence and polyparasitism of intestinal protozoa and spatial distribution of Entamoeba histolytica, E. dispar and Giardia intestinalis from pupils in the rural zone of Man in Côte d'Ivoire]Mamadou Ouattara
UFR Biosciences, Université d Abidjan Cocody, 02 BP819 Abidjan, Cote d Ivoire
Sante 18:215-22. 2008..of simple tools that are inexpensive and effective against these diseases (chemotherapy with albendazole and mebendazole)...
- Multiclass detection and quantitation of antibiotics and veterinary drugs in shrimps by fast liquid chromatography time-of-flight mass spectrometryMarina Villar-Pulido
Department of Physical and Analytical Chemistry, University of Jaen, Campus Las Lagunillas, Jaen, Spain
Talanta 85:1419-27. 2011..other veterinary drugs (benzalkonium chloride, ethoxyquin, leucomalachite green (LMG), malachite green (MG), mebendazole, sulfadiazine, sulfadimethoxine, sulfamethazine, sulfamethizole, sulfanilamide, sulfapyridine, sulfathiazole ..
- Characterisation of benzimidazole binding with recombinant tubulin from Giardia duodenalis, Encephalitozoon intestinalis, and Cryptosporidium parvumLouisa M MacDonald
Division of Health Sciences, Murdoch University, Perth, WA, Australia
Mol Biochem Parasitol 138:89-96. 2004..Additionally, the high affinity of several benzimidazole derivatives (albendazole, fenbendazole, mebendazole) for monomeric beta-tubulin and heterodimeric alphabeta-tubulin from benzimidazole-sensitive protozoa was also ..
- [A case of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia with hyperinfection of Strongyloides stercoralis complicated with smoldering adult T-cell leukemia]M Udaka
First Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of the Ryukyus, Okinawa
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 64:630-5. 1990..Then pyrvinium pamoate and mebendazole were used, but the parasite could not be completely eradicated in the stool...
- Adverse drug reactions to anthelminticsHaleh Bagheri
Department of Pharmacology, Midi Pyrenees Center of Pharmacovigilance, Faculty of Medicine, Toulouse University Hospital, Toulouse, France
Ann Pharmacother 38:383-8. 2004..Anthelmintics are commonly used in tropical areas, but are also prescribed in Western countries with other climates. However, pharmacoepidemiologic studies of these drugs are rare...
- Oral pharmacological treatments for parasitic diseases of rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykiss. II. Gyrodactylus spJ L Tojo
Department of Microbiology and Parasitology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Dis Aquat Organ 33:187-93. 1998..aminosidine, amprolium, benznidazole, bithionol, chloroquine, diethylcarbamazine, flubendazole, levamisole, mebendazole, metronidazole, niclosamide, nitroxynil, oxibendazole, parbendazole, piperazine, praziquantel, ronidazole, ..
- Effectiveness of various anthelmintics in the treatment of moniliformiasis in experimentally infected Wistar ratsDennis J Richardson
Department of Biological Sciences, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, Connecticut 06518, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 11:1151-6. 2011..The effectiveness of pyrantel pamoate, ivermectin, praziquantel, niclosamide, thiabendazole, and mebendazole was evaluated in the treatment of moniliformiasis in laboratory-infected female Wistar rats...
- Oral drug therapy for multiple neglected tropical diseases: a systematic reviewMadhuri Reddy
Department of Medicine, Hebrew Rehabilitation Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02131, USA
JAMA 298:1911-24. 2007..Seven of the most prevalent diseases have existing oral drug treatments. Identifying treatments that are effective against more than 1 disease could facilitate efficient and inexpensive treatment...
- Comparative effect of mebendazole, albendazole, tribendimidine, and praziquantel in treatment of rats infected with Clonorchis sinensisShu Hua Xiao
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease, Control and Prevention, Key Laboratory of Parasite and Vector Biology, MOH, WHO Collaborating Centre for Malaria, Schistosomiasis, and Filariasis, Shanghai 200025, People s Republic of China
Parasitol Res 108:723-30. 2011The aim of the study is to understand the anti-Clonorchis sinensis properties of mebendazole and albendazole, and compare to praziquantel and tribendimidine...
- Comparative assessment of albendazole and triclabendazole ovicidal activity on Fasciola hepatica eggsL Alvarez
Laboratorio de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Veterinarias, Universidad Nacional del Centro de la Provincia de Buenos Aires UNCPBA, Campus Universitario, 7000, Tandil, Argentina
Vet Parasitol 164:211-6. 2009..5, 0.1 and 0.05 nmol/mL) (Experiment 3), and the effect of fenbendazole (FBZ), oxfendazole (OFZ), mebendazole (MBZ), flubendazole (FLBZ) (5 nmol/mL) and reduced-FLBZ (R-FLBZ) (2 microg/mL) on fluke eggs, were evaluated ..
- Rapid appraisal of human intestinal helminth infections among schoolchildren in Osh oblast, KyrgyzstanPeter Steinmann
National Institute of Parasitic Diseases, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 207 Rui Jin Er Road, Shanghai, People s Republic of China
Acta Trop 116:178-84. 2010..In a first stage, annual deworming of schoolchildren and other high-risk groups with albendazole or mebendazole should be implemented, and reliable diagnosis and additional anthelminthic drugs should be made available...
- [Impossibility of the treatment of inoperable liver multicystic echinococcosis due to adverse reactions to antihelminitics]Dragan Mikić
Vojnomedicinska akademija, Klinika za infektivne i tropske bolesti, Beograd, Srbija
Vojnosanit Pregl 66:833-9. 2009..In some cases of multicystic forms of liver echinococcal disease, the advanced method for treatment of cystic echinococcosis faces great problems relating to the final outcome of the treatment...
- TRICHINELLOSIS AND REGULATION OF HOST GENE EXPRESSIONDouglas Jasmer; Fiscal Year: 2001..Methods were developed to extract these nuclear antigens (NA). It was further shown that mebendazole treatment of mice depletes NA from host nuclei and simultaneously leads to diminution in size of infected cell ..
- HOOKWORM LARVAL INFECTIVITY AND DEVELOPMENTPeter Hotez; Fiscal Year: 2002..The pharmacologic manipulation of parasite-derived protein kinases may offer a new approach to chemotherapy by taking larvae out of arrest. ..
- Antenatal and preschool iron and zinc use and cognitionParul Christian; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study will fill critical gaps in knowledge and inform policy on the efficacy of selective micronutrient interventions in pregnancy and early childhood to improve school-aged cognition. ..
- Heavy Metal Exposures in Women and Children, the Role of NutrientsRebecca Stoltzfus; Fiscal Year: 2007..The symposium will result in proceedings published in the Journal of Nutrition, one of the most widely read nutrition publications. ..