Genomes and Genes
Summary: A short-acting hypnotic-sedative drug with anxiolytic and amnestic properties. It is used in dentistry, cardiac surgery, endoscopic procedures, as preanesthetic medication, and as an adjunct to local anesthesia. The short duration and cardiorespiratory stability makes it useful in poor-risk, elderly, and cardiac patients. It is water-soluble at pH less than 4 and lipid-soluble at physiological pH.
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- Comparison of midazolam sedation with or without fentanyl in cataract surgeryO Yalcin Cok
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 59:27-32. 2008We compared the effect of midazolam sedation with or without fentanyl on the hemodynamic parameters, sedation, and pain and satisfaction profile in cataract surgery...
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam for sedation of critically ill patients: a randomized trialRichard R Riker
University of Vermont College of Medicine, USA
JAMA 301:489-99. 2009..Gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor agonist medications are the most commonly used sedatives for intensive care unit (ICU) patients, yet preliminary evidence indicates that the alpha(2) agonist dexmedetomidine may have distinct advantages...
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam or propofol for sedation during prolonged mechanical ventilation: two randomized controlled trialsStephan M Jakob
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Bern University Hospital and University of Bern, Bern, Switzerland
JAMA 307:1151-60. 2012Long-term sedation with midazolam or propofol in intensive care units (ICUs) has serious adverse effects...
- Breakdown in cortical effective connectivity during midazolam-induced loss of consciousnessFabio Ferrarelli
Department of Psychiatry and Anesthesiology, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI 53719, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:2681-6. 2010..this hypothesis by comparing EEG responses to TMS during wakefulness and LOC induced by the benzodiazepine midazolam. Unlike spontaneous sleep states, a subject's level of vigilance can be monitored repeatedly during ..
- Clinically relevant concentrations of propofol but not midazolam alter in vitro dendritic development of isolated gamma-aminobutyric acid-positive interneuronsLaszlo Vutskits
Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology and Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospital of Geneva, Switzerland
Anesthesiology 102:970-6. 2005..The authors addressed this issue by evaluating the effect of propofol on dendritic growth and arbor expansion of developing gamma-aminobutyric acid-positive (GABAergic) interneurons...
- Adverse events during monitored anesthesia care for GI endoscopy: an 8-year experienceMassimo Agostoni
Department of Anesthesiology, Vita Salute University of Milan, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 74:266-75. 2011..The importance of sedation during endoscopy is well established. There is no consensus about the best techniques for sedation, which specialist should perform it, and in which location...
- Efficacy of buccal midazolam compared to intravenous diazepam in controlling convulsions in children: a randomized controlled trialBibek Talukdar
Department of Pediatrics, Maulana Azad Medical College and Asssociated Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya CNBC, Delhi 110031, India
Brain Dev 31:744-9. 2009A study was done to examine the efficacy of buccal midazolam in controlling convulsion in children by comparing it with intravenous diazepam, a standard mode of treating convulsions...
- Intranasal midazolam for prolonged convulsive seizuresN O Kutlu
Department of Pediatrics, Inonu University, Turgut Ozal Medical Center, Malatya, Turkey
Brain Dev 22:359-61. 2000In order to determine the efficiency of intranasal midazolam in prolonged convulsive episodes, we conducted a prospective study in children with various types of seizures...
- Intranasal midazolam vs rectal diazepam for the home treatment of acute seizures in pediatric patients with epilepsyMaija Holsti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, 295 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:747-53. 2010To compare intranasal midazolam, using a Mucosal Atomization Device (IN-MMAD), with rectal diazepam (RD) for the home treatment of seizures in children with epilepsy.
- Intrathecal midazolam I: a cohort study investigating safetyAdam P Tucker
Department of Anaesthesia, Monash Medical Centre, Monash University, 246 Clayton Road, Victoria 3168, Australia
Anesth Analg 98:1512-20, table of contents. 2004Despite conflicting evidence regarding the safety of intrathecal midazolam from animal investigations, its clinical use is increasing...
- Analgesic efficacy of two doses of intrathecal midazolam with bupivacaine in patients undergoing cesarean deliverySmita Prakash
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care, Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjang Hospital, New Delhi, India
Reg Anesth Pain Med 31:221-6. 2006In this prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, we investigated the postoperative analgesic efficacy of 2 doses of intrathecal midazolam as an adjunct to bupivacaine for spinal anesthesia.
- Propofol infusion versus intermittent meperidine and midazolam injection for conscious sedation in ERCPPradermchai Kongkam
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 17:291-7. 2008..This study was conducted to compare satisfaction, recovery score, and recovery/safety profiles for ERCP sedation between continuous infusion of propofol and conventional sedation...
- Use of intrathecal midazolam to improve perioperative analgesia: a meta-analysisK M Ho
Intensive Care Unit, Royal Perth Hospital, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Anaesth Intensive Care 36:365-73. 2008Intrathecal midazolam binds with gamma aminobutyric acid-A receptors in the spinal cord leading to an analgesic effect...
- Long-term sedation in intensive care unit: a randomized comparison between inhaled sevoflurane and intravenous propofol or midazolamMalcie Mesnil
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Lapeyronie DAR A, Montpellier I University and Montpellier University Lapeyronie Hospital, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Equipe soutenue par la Région et l Inserm ERI 25, route de Ganges, 34295 Montpellier, Cedex 5, France
Intensive Care Med 37:933-41. 2011To evaluate efficacy and adverse events related to inhaled sevoflurane for long-term sedation compared with standard intravenous (i.v.) sedation with propofol or midazolam.
- Disruptive effect of midazolam on fear memory reconsolidation: decisive influence of reactivation time span and memory ageSilvia G Bustos
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Haya de la Torre y Medina Allende, Cordoba, Argentina
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:446-57. 2009..memory was reactivated by exposure to the associated context for different periods of time that were followed by midazolam (MDZ) administration. We also studied MDZ amnesic effect after reactivating fear memories of several ages...
- Preoperative intravenous midazolam: benefits beyond anxiolysisKevin P Bauer
Department of Anesthesiology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
J Clin Anesth 16:177-83. 2004To evaluate the effect of midazolam on the global perioperative experience, including patient satisfaction, postoperative nausea and vomiting, postoperative pain, and perioperative anxiety and amnesia.
- Intrathecal midazolam increases the analgesic effects of spinal blockade with bupivacaine in patients undergoing haemorrhoidectomyM H Kim
Department of Anaesthesiology, Samsung Medical Center, Sungkyunkwan University School of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
Br J Anaesth 86:77-9. 2001In the present double-blind study we aimed to evaluate the postoperative analgesic effects of intrathecal midazolam with bupivacaine following haemorrhoidectomy...
- Midazolam vs ondansetron for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting: a randomised controlled trialY Lee
Buddhist Tzu Chi Medical Center, Tzu Chi University School of Medicine, No 707 Sec 3 Jhong Yang Rd, Hualien, Taiwan, ROC
Anaesthesia 62:18-22. 2007We compared the prophylactic anti-emetic efficacy of midazolam and ondansetron in 90 patients scheduled for minor gynaecological (hysteroscopy) or urological (ureteroscopy) procedures planned to last 1-2 h under sevoflurane anaesthesia ..
- Propofol alone titrated to deep sedation versus propofol in combination with opioids and/or benzodiazepines and titrated to moderate sedation for colonoscopyMegan E VanNatta
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis Indiana 46202, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2209-17. 2006..Propofol in combination with opioids and/or benzodiazepines can be titrated to moderate sedation, which might be safer...
- Induction of anaesthesia with either midazolam or propofol in rabbits premedicated with fentanyl/fluanisoneM A Martinez
Department of Clinical Veterinary Science, University of Bristol, Langford
Vet Rec 164:803-6. 2009..1 ml/kg fentanyl/fluanisone and then randomly allocated to be anaesthetised with either midazolam or propofol. Anaesthesia was then maintained with isoflurane...
- Pharmacokinetic interactions of almorexant with midazolam and simvastatin, two CYP3A4 model substrates, in healthy male subjectsMatthias Hoch
Clinical Pharmacology, Actelion Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Gewerbestrasse 16, 4123 Allschwil, Switzerland
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 69:523-32. 2013..Therefore, a study was conducted to investigate the effects of multiple-dose almorexant on the pharmacokinetics of midazolam and simvastatin, two CYP3A4 model substrates.
- Intranasal midazolam vs rectal diazepam in acute childhood seizuresMadhumita Bhattacharyya
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Neurol 34:355-9. 2006..seizure episodes in 46 children were randomly assigned to receive treatment with rectal diazepam and intranasal midazolam with doses of 0.3 mg/kg body weight and 0.2 mg/kg body weight, respectively...
- A comparison of midazolam nasal spray and diazepam rectal solution for the residential treatment of seizure exacerbationsGerrit Jan de Haan
SEIN Epilepsy Institute in The Netherlands Foundation Heemstede, The Netherlands
Epilepsia 51:478-82. 2010..if an alternative route of administration of a benzodiazepine was equally effective, we compared a novel midazolam HCl concentrated nasal spray (MDZ-n) with diazepam rectal solution (DZP-r) in the treatment of prolonged ..
- Gastroenterologist-administered propofol versus meperidine and midazolam for advanced upper endoscopy: a prospective, randomized trialJohn J Vargo
Department of Gastroenterology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Gastroenterology 123:8-16. 2002..has been no prospective, randomized comparison of gastroenterologist-administered propofol to meperidine and midazolam for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and endoscopic ultrasonography...
- Midazolam versus diazepam for the treatment of status epilepticus in children and young adults: a meta-analysisJason McMullan
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:575-82. 2010Rapid treatment of status epilepticus (SE) is associated with better outcomes. Diazepam and midazolam are commonly used, but the optimal agent and administration route is unclear.
- A simplified analytical method for a phenotyping cocktail of major CYP450 biotransformation routesMallorie Clement Jerdi
Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Geneva University Hospitals, 24, Rue Micheli du Crest, CH 1211 Geneva 14, Switzerland
J Pharm Biomed Anal 35:1203-12. 2004..approach including five probe substances, namely caffeine, flurbiprofen, omeprazole, dextromethorphan and midazolam. All substances were administered simultaneously and a single plasma sample was obtained 2h after the ..
- Effects of intrathecal midazolam in spinal anaesthesia: a prospective randomised case control studyB K Shadangi
Department of Anaesthesiology, All India Institute of Medical Scences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110029, India
Singapore Med J 52:432-5. 2011Subarachnoid block with local anaesthetics and adjuvants has been extensively used for surgery. Intrathecal midazolam produces antinociception and potentiates the effect of local anaesthetics...
- Remifentanil vs. meperidine for patient-controlled analgesia during colonoscopy: a randomized double-blind trialLorella Fanti
Department of Gastroenterology, Vita Salute University of Milano, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Milano, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 104:1119-24. 2009The aim was to compare patients' and endoscopists' satisfaction in terms of efficacy and safety of remifentanil patient-controlled analgesia (PCA) during colonoscopy with that of a combination of midazolam and meperidine.
- Low dose intravenous midazolam for prevention of PONV, in lower abdominal surgery--preoperative vs intraoperative administrationMohammad Reza Safavi
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Middle East J Anesthesiol 20:75-81. 2009The aim of the present study was to compare anti-emetic efficacy of low dose midazolam premedication (35 microg/kg) 15 minutes before induction of anesthesia with midazolam (35 microg/kg) administered intravenously 30 min before ..
- Sub-clinical hepatic encephalopathy in cirrhotic patients is not aggravated by sedation with propofol compared to midazolam: a randomized controlled studyIyad Khamaysi
Department of Gastroenterology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
J Hepatol 54:72-7. 2011..The aim of this study is to determine whether the use of propofol, for upper endoscopy in patients with cirrhosis, precipitates sub-clinical HE...
- Genotype-phenotype associations of cytochrome P450 3A4 and 3A5 polymorphism with midazolam clearance in vivoPing He
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 77:373-87. 2005..A single oral dose of midazolam was administered to 26 healthy subjects. The variability in midazolam oral clearance was 11-fold...
- Ketamine and midazolam sedation for pediatric gastrointestinal endoscopy in the Arab worldMohamad Iqbal S Miqdady
Pediatric Department, Medical School, Jordan University of Science and Technology, Irbid 3030, Jordan
World J Gastroenterol 17:3630-5. 2011To evaluate the safety and effectiveness of intravenous ketamine-midazolam sedation during pediatric endoscopy in the Arab world.
- The analgesic and sedative effects of intrathecal midazolam in perianal surgeryA Yegin
Akdeniz University Medical Faculty, Department of Anaesthesiology, Antalya, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 21:658-62. 2004Our purpose was to evaluate the analgesic and sedative effects of intrathecal midazolam when added to spinal bupivacaine in patients undergoing perianal surgery under spinal anaesthesia.
- Effect of intravenous midazolam premedication on postoperative nausea and vomiting after cholecystectomySeied Morteza Heidari
Department of Anesthesia, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan 42:77-80. 2004..However PONV continues to be a common postoperative complication. Midazolam premedication in pediatric patients has been reported to reduce the incidence of PONV...
- Comparison of propofol/fentanyl versus ketamine/midazolam for brief orthopedic procedural sedation in a pediatric emergency departmentSandip A Godambe
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, LeBonheur Children s Medical Center, Memphis, Tennessee, USA
Pediatrics 112:116-23. 2003To compare the effectiveness of 2 medication regimens, propofol/fentanyl (P/F) and ketamine/midazolam (K/M), for brief orthopedic emergency department procedural sedation...
- Mild hypothermia decreases fentanyl and midazolam steady-state clearance in a rat model of cardiac arrestPhilip E Empey
Department of Pharmacy and Therapeutics, School of Medicine, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 40:1221-8. 2012..objectives were to determine the effect of mild hypothermia on the in vivo pharmacokinetics of fentanyl and midazolam, two clinically relevant cytochrome P450 3A substrates, after cardiac arrest and to investigate the mechanisms ..
- The midazolam-induced paradox phenomenon is reversible by flumazenil. Epidemiology, patient characteristics and review of the literatureA A Weinbroum
Post Anesthesia Care Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman St, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:789-97. 2001b>Midazolam may occasionally precipitate hostility and violence instead of tranquility...
- Deep sedation occurs frequently during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolamSandeep Patel
Section of Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44118, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2689-95. 2005..The aims of this study were to prospectively evaluate the incidence and risk factors of deep sedation during elective endoscopy with meperidine and midazolam intended to maintain a level of moderate sedation.
- Midazolam: an effective antiemetic after cardiac surgery--a clinical trialOrathy Patangi Sanjay
DNB, Department of Anesthesiology, St John s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore 560034, Karnataka, India
Anesth Analg 99:339-43, table of contents. 2004..To assess the antiemetic property of midazolam, we undertook this double-blinded, randomized trial in 200 patients undergoing cardiac surgery involving ..
- Intranasal midazolam therapy for pediatric status epilepticusTimothy R Wolfe
Department of Emergency Medicine, Jordan Valley Hospital, West Jordan, UT 84088, USA
Am J Emerg Med 24:343-6. 2006..Intranasal midazolam, which delivers antiepileptic medication directly to the blood and cerebrospinal fluid via the nasal mucosa, is ..
- Use of intranasal midazolam to treat acute seizures in paediatric community settingsM G Harbord
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, Flinders Medical Centre, Adelaide, South Australia 5042, Australia
J Paediatr Child Health 40:556-8. 2004To evaluate the acceptability of intranasal midazolam (INM) in acute seizure management in the community.
- Analgesic effects of systemic midazolam: comparison with intrathecal administrationTomoki Nishiyama
Department of Anesthesiology, The Univesity of Tokyo, Japan
Can J Anaesth 53:1004-9. 2006b>Midazolam has antinociceptive effects when administered intrathecally, while its effects associated with systemic administration remain controversial...
- Evidence of significant contribution from CYP3A5 to hepatic drug metabolismWeili Huang
Department of Pharmaceutics, Box 357610, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195 7610, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 32:1434-45. 2004..Based on this parameter, CYP3A5 was more active than CYP3A4 in catalyzing total midazolam hydroxylation (3-fold) and lidocaine demethylation (1.4-fold)...
- Safe and effective sedation in endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer: a randomized comparison between propofol continuous infusion and intermittent midazolam injectionShinsuke Kiriyama
Department of Endoscopy, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Gastroenterol 45:831-7. 2010..The aim of this study was to compare the safety profiles and recovery scores propofol continuous infusion and intermittent midazolam (MDZ) injection as sedation for ESD.
- The efficacy of the COMFORT scale in assessing optimal sedation in critically ill children requiring mechanical ventilationHyun Seung Jin
Department of Pediatrics, Asan Medical Center, University of Ulsan, College of Medicine, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 22:693-7. 2007..7 cases). The total duration of sedation (8.0 days vs. 11.5 days) also tended to decrease. These findings suggest that application of protocol-based sedation with the COMPORT scale may benefit children requiring mechanical ventilation...
- Midazolam inhibits hippocampal long-term potentiation and learning through dual central and peripheral benzodiazepine receptor activation and neurosteroidogenesisKazuhiro Tokuda
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 30:16788-95. 2010..In rat hippocampal slices, we compared midazolam, an anesthetic BDZ, with clonazepam, an anticonvulsant/anxiolytic BDZ that activates CBRs selectively...
- Prehospital intranasal midazolam for the treatment of pediatric seizuresMaija Holsti
Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Primary Children s Medical Center University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84158, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 23:148-53. 2007The local emergency medical services (EMS) council implemented a new pediatric treatment protocol using a Mucosal Atomization Device (MAD) to deliver intranasal (IN) midazolam for seizure activity.
- Co-regulation of CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 and contribution to hepatic and intestinal midazolam metabolismYvonne S Lin
Department of Pharmaceutics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195, USA
Mol Pharmacol 62:162-72. 2002..Overall, CYP3A5 protein content accounted for 31% of the variability in hepatic midazolam hydroxylation activity...
- Reemergence of stroke deficits with midazolam challengeRonald M Lazar
Department of Neurology, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 33:283-5. 2002..a step toward assessing whether neurotransmitter systems underlie poststroke clinical improvement, we selected midazolam, a gamma-aminobutyric acid(A) (GABA(A)) agonist, for systemic administration to measure general or stroke-..
- The effects of the SLCO2B1 c.1457C > T polymorphism and apple juice on the pharmacokinetics of fexofenadine and midazolam in humansJunko Imanaga
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Oita University Faculty of Medicine, Oita, Japan
Pharmacogenet Genomics 21:84-93. 2011The objective was to determine the effects of the SLCO2B1 c.1457C> T polymorphism and apple juice on the pharmacokinetics of fexofenadine and midazolam in humans.
- Comparative study of the antiemetic efficacy of ondansetron, propofol and midazolam in the early postoperative periodH Unlugenc
Cukurova University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology, Adana, Turkey
Eur J Anaesthesiol 20:668-73. 2003To compare the antiemetic efficacy of ondansetron with two different hypnotic drugs (propofol 15 mg, midazolam 1 and 2 mg) for the treatment of established postoperative nausea and vomiting (PONV).
- Cerebral microdialysis effects of propofol versus midazolam in severe traumatic brain injuryMichèle Tanguy
Département d anesthésie réanimation 1, Hopital de Pontchaillou, Cedex, France
J Neurotrauma 29:1105-10. 2012..The objective was to compare the effects of propofol to midazolam on cerebral biomarkers at the acute phase of severe TBI patients...
- Functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) in children sedated with propofol or midazolamMarco Gemma
Anesthesia and Intensive Care Unit, Head and Neck Department, Vita Salute University, San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:253-8. 2009..This study compares the effect of propofol and midazolam on the fMRI auditory activation pattern in children...
- Is intranasal midazolam an effective rescue medication in adolescents and adults with severe epilepsy?M Scheepers
Heathfield, 30 Denmark Road, Gloucester, GL1 3HZ, UK
Seizure 9:417-22. 2000The aim of this study was to determine whether intranasal midazolam is a safe and effective rescue medication in adolescent and adult patients with severe epilepsy...
- Anticonvulsant treatment of sarin-induced seizures with nasal midazolam: an electrographic, behavioral, and histological study in freely moving ratsE Gilat
Department of Pharmacology, Israel Institute for Biological Research, Ness Ziona, 74100 Israel
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 209:74-85. 2005..Effective management of these seizures is critical for minimization of brain damage. Nasal application of midazolam (1...
- Nasal midazolam effects on childhood acute seizuresT Fisgin
Department of Pediatric Hematology, Dr Sami Ulus Child Health and Disease Center, Ankara, Turkey
J Child Neurol 15:833-5. 2000..Sami Ulus Child Health and Disease Center, were included in this study. Midazolam (5 mg/mL) 0.2 mg/kg was administered intranasally in 30 seconds by an injector...
- Ritonavir greatly impairs CYP3A activity in HIV infection with chronic viral hepatitisTamsin A Knox
Nutrition Infection Division, Department of Public Health and Family Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 49:358-68. 2008..Ritonavir is a powerful inhibitor of cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) that metabolizes many antiretrovirals. We examined the effect of ritonavir and of chronic viral hepatitis (CVH) status on CYP3A activity...
- Olfactory fear conditioning paradigm in rats: effects of midazolam, propranolol or scopolamineJuliana A V Kroon
Departamento de Farmacologia, CCB, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Florianopolis, SC 88040 900, Brazil
Neurobiol Learn Mem 91:32-40. 2009..the study of fear-induced behavior and whether compounds used in humans for emotional-related disorders such as midazolam, propranolol, or scopolamine, applied during the different stages of fear conditioning (acquisition, ..
- Early cognitive impairment after sedation for colonoscopy: the effect of adding midazolam and/or fentanyl to propofolUsha Padmanabhan
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Royal Melbourne Hospital, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
Anesth Analg 109:1448-55. 2009..We sought to determine if the use of propofol alone results in less cognitive impairment at discharge than the use of propofol plus midazolam and/or fentanyl in patients presenting for elective outpatient colonoscopy.
- Intrathecal midazolam added to bupivacaine improves the duration and quality of spinal anaesthesiaN Bharti
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 47:1101-5. 2003The antinociceptive action of intrathecal midazolam is well documented. In this prospective study, we investigated the addition of midazolam to intrathecal bupivacaine on the duration and quality of spinal blockade.
- Propofol sedation for upper gastrointestinal endoscopy in patients with liver cirrhosis as an alternative to midazolam to avoid acute deterioration of minimal encephalopathy: a randomized, controlled studyAndrea Riphaus
Department of Internal Medicine I, Gastroenterology and Interventional Endoscopy, Hospital Siloah, Hannover, Germany
Scand J Gastroenterol 44:1244-51. 2009b>Midazolam sedation for upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy exacerbates minimal hepatic encephalopathy (HE) in patients with liver cirrhosis, therefore an alternative drug regimen for these patients is warranted...
- Sedation for endoscopy: the safe use of propofol by general practitioner sedationistsAnthony C Clarke
Mugga Wara and Brindabella Endoscopy Centres, Canberra, ACT
Med J Aust 176:158-61. 2002..To determine the incidence of adverse events related to an endoscopy sedation regimen that included propofol, delivered by general practitioner (GP) sedationists...
- Comparison of intranasal midazolam with intravenous diazepam for treating acute seizures in childrenT Mahmoudian
Department of Child Neurology, Medical University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Epilepsy Behav 5:253-5. 2004b>Midazolam, a water-soluble benzodiazepine, is usually given intravenously in status epilepticus...
- Patient-controlled analgesia and sedation with alfentanyl versus fentanyl for colonoscopy: a randomized double blind studyBurhanettin Usta
Department of Anesthesiology, Fatih University School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
J Clin Gastroenterol 45:e72-5. 2011....
- Double-blind randomized controlled trial to determine extent of amnesia with midazolam given immediately before general anaesthesiaR Bulach
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Br J Anaesth 94:300-5. 2005Anterograde, but not retrograde, amnesia has been demonstrated following midazolam administration. However, there have been no studies investigating whether or not immediate retrograde amnesia can be produced with midazolam.
- Midazolam challenge reinduces neurological deficits after transient ischemic attackRonald M Lazar
From the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 34:794-6. 2003..Having previously shown that an experimental challenge with the GABAA agonist midazolam in recovered stroke patients can reinduce the acute clinical state, we determined whether TIA patients would ..
- Neural correlates of cat odor-induced anxiety in rats: region-specific effects of the benzodiazepine midazolamIain S McGregor
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
J Neurosci 24:4134-44. 2004..Rats received either midazolam (0.75 mg/kg, s.c...
- Does midazolam alter the clinical effects of intravenous ketamine sedation in children? A double-blind, randomized, controlled, emergency department trialJ E Wathen
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center The Children s Hospital, Denver, CO, USA
Ann Emerg Med 36:579-88. 2000..conducted to investigate the frequency and severity of adverse effects, specifically emergence phenomena, experienced by patients receiving intravenous ketamine with or without midazolam for sedation in a pediatric emergency department.
- Short-term effects of intravenous benzodiazepines on autonomic neurocardiac regulation in humans: a comparison between midazolam, diazepam, and lorazepamMarcus W Agelink
Department of Neurocardiology, Institute of Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Evangelical Clinics Gelsenkirchen, Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany
Crit Care Med 30:997-1006. 2002To evaluate the effects of intravenously applied diazepam, lorazepam, and midazolam on autonomic neurocardiac regulation assessed by standardized measurements of heart rate variability.
- Oral ketamine/midazolam is superior to intramuscular meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine for pediatric cardiac catheterizationS M Auden
Departments of Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, and Family and Community Medicine of the University of Louisville and Kosair Children s Hospital, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Anesth Analg 90:299-305. 2000..We compared this IM combination to oral (PO) ketamine/midazolam in children having cardiac catheterization...
- Changes in respiratory pattern and arterial blood gases during sedation with propofol or midazolam in spinal anesthesiaM Yamakage
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Hokkaido, Japan
J Clin Anesth 11:375-9. 1999To investigate changes in respiratory pattern and arterial blood gases during sedation with propofol or midazolam in spinal anesthesia.
- Effects of pregnancy on CYP3A and P-glycoprotein activities as measured by disposition of midazolam and digoxin: a University of Washington specialized center of research studyM F Hebert
Department of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 84:248-53. 2008..evaluate the effects of pregnancy on CYP3A and P-glycoprotein (P-gp) activities, as measured by disposition of midazolam and digoxin, respectively. Thirteen women received digoxin (0.25 mg p.o.) and midazolam (2 mg p.o...
- Reconsolidation of a morphine place preference: impact of the strength and age of memory on disruption by propranolol and midazolamM J F Robinson
Department of Psychology, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Ave, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Behav Brain Res 213:201-7. 2010..reactivated drug-free, and immediately afterwards animals received an injection of propranolol (10mg/kg, SC), midazolam (1mg/kg, IP), both amnestic agents combined, or saline...
- Bispectral analysis measures sedation and memory effects of propofol, midazolam, isoflurane, and alfentanil in healthy volunteersP S Glass
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 86:836-47. 1997..This study was designed to evaluate this relation for four commonly used anesthetic drugs: propofol, midazolam, isoflurane, and alfentanil.
- A protocol of no sedation for critically ill patients receiving mechanical ventilation: a randomised trialThomas Strøm
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Odense University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Lancet 375:475-80. 2010..We aimed to establish whether duration of mechanical ventilation could be reduced with a protocol of no sedation versus daily interruption of sedation...
- Safety of intravenous midazolam and fentanyl for pediatric GI endoscopy: prospective study of 1578 endoscopiesPetar Mamula
Division of GI and Nutrition, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:203-10. 2007..Data on safety of intravenous sedation in pediatric GI endoscopy are sparse...
- Cough suppression during flexible bronchoscopy using combined sedation with midazolam and hydrocodone: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trialD Stolz
Division of Respiratory Medicine and Pulmonary Cell Research, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Thorax 59:773-6. 2004..A randomised, placebo controlled, double blind study was undertaken to determine whether hydrocodone in combination with midazolan improves cough suppression during FB without increasing the risk of desaturation...
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam for monitored anaesthesia care during cataract surgeryJ A Alhashemi
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, King Abdulaziz University, King Abdulaziz University Hospital PO Box 31648, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Br J Anaesth 96:722-6. 2006Cataract surgery is commonly performed under local anaesthesia with midazolam sedation. Dexmedetomidine, a sedative-analgesic, is devoid of respiratory depressant effects, and its use in cataract surgery has not been reported...
- Effects of midazolam on brain injury after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats*Baiping Lei
Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:131-9. 2009The benzodiazepine, midazolam, is commonly used for sedation and anesthesia in the operating room and the intensive care unit where there is a risk of cerebral ischemia...
- Combination of oral ketamine and midazolam as a premedication for a severely autistic and combative patientShailesh Shah
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Arkansas Children s Hospital, Little Rock, AR, 72202, USA
J Anesth 23:126-8. 2009..A combination of oral ketamine and midazolam was mixed in the beverage Dr Pepper to mask the taste and the appearance of the drugs...
- The effect of midazolam on neutrophil mitogen-activated protein kinaseKamran Ghori
Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:562-5. 2010..The objectives of this in-vitro investigation were to examine the effect of midazolam on neutrophil p38 MAPK activation (phosphorylation) following in-vitro ischaemia-reperfusion injury, and the ..
- Etomidate and midazolam for procedural sedation: prospective, randomized trialGregory S Hunt
Department of Emergency Medicine, St Luke s Hospital, New Bedford, MA 02740, USA
Am J Emerg Med 23:299-303. 2005To evaluate whether there is a difference in the time of sedation and time to patient disposition in patients undergoing procedural sedation with etomidate and midazolam.
- Effect of common CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 variants on the pharmacokinetics of the cytochrome P450 3A phenotyping probe midazolam in cancer patientsErin R Lepper
Science Applications International Corporation Frederick, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:7398-404. 2005To evaluate the effect of naturally occurring variants in genes encoding the cytochrome P450 (CYP) isoforms CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 in patients with cancer receiving midazolam as a phenotyping probe.
- Titrated sedation with propofol or midazolam for flexible bronchoscopy: a randomised trialG Clark
Centre valaisan de pneumologie, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 34:1277-83. 2009In this study, we questioned whether propofol provided clinical benefits compared with midazolam in terms of neuropsychometric recovery, safety profile and patient tolerance...
- Nurse-administered propofol sedation compared with midazolam and meperidine for EUS: a prospective, randomized trialJohn DeWitt
Departments of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University Medical Center and Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:499-509. 2008The utility of nurse-administered propofol sedation (NAPS) compared with midazolam and meperidine (M/M) for EUS is not known.
- Dexmedetomidine-ketamine and midazolam-ketamine combinations for sedation in pediatric patients undergoing extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy: a randomized prospective studySenem Koruk
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Gaziantep University Medical School, 27310 Sehitkamil, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Anesth 24:858-63. 2010..The aim of this randomized prospective study was to compare the effects of dexmedetomidine-ketamine and midazolam-ketamine combinations on the recovery time, hemodynamic and respiratory variables, and side effects in pediatric ..
- A prospective, double-blind, randomized trial of midazolam versus haloperidol versus lorazepam in the chemical restraint of violent and severely agitated patientsFlavia Nobay
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:744-9. 2004To determine if midazolam is superior to lorazepam or haloperidol in the management of violent and severely agitated patients in the emergency department...
- Efficacy of intrathecal midazolam with or without epidural methylprednisolone for management of post-herpetic neuralgia involving lumbosacral dermatomesG P Dureja
Department of Pain Medicine, Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, New Delhi, India
Pain Physician 13:213-21. 2010..Recent studies have shown a promising anti nociceptive effect for intrathecal midazolam, a water soluble benzodiazepine, due to its interaction with benzodiazepine-GABA-A receptor complex within the ..
- Acetazolamide and midazolam act synergistically to inhibit neuropathic painMarina Asiedu
The University of Arizona School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Pain 148:302-8. 2010..Moreover, we demonstrate that spinal co-administration of ACT and midazolam (MZL) act synergistically to reduce neuropathic allodynia after peripheral nerve injury...
- Conscious sedation: Off-label use of rectal S(+)-ketamine and midazolam for wound dressing changes in paediatric heat injuriesM Heinrich
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Dr v Haunersches Kinderspital München, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 14:235-9. 2004..The goal of this study was to evaluate the off-label use of rectally administered S(+)-ketamine and Midazolam by paediatric surgeons during repeated outpatient dressing changes for paediatric burns and scalding.
- Pre-medication for bronchoscopy: a randomised double blind trial comparing alfentanil with midazolamCatherine M Houghton
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hope Hospital, Salford M6 8HD, UK
Respir Med 98:1102-7. 2004This study was designed to compare the effects of alfentanil and midazolam pre-medication on patient comfort during and after flexible bronchoscopy...
- Bispectral index-guided intraoperative sedation with dexmedetomidine and midazolam infusion in outpatient cataract surgeryA Apan
Department of Anesthesiology, Kirikkale University Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Minerva Anestesiol 75:239-44. 2009This study aimed to evaluate the role of alfa-2 agonist infusion, with dexmedetomidine or midazolam, on hemodynamic and respiratory parameters while titrating the sedation level with the bispectral index (BIS) during cataract surgery.
- Comparison of midazolam, propofol and fentanyl combinations for sedation and hemodynamic parameters in cataract extractionVarol Celiker
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Saudi Med J 28:1198-203. 2007b>Midazolam, propofol and fentanyl were compared in terms of sedation during cataract extraction. Hemodynamic parameters, sedation level, postoperative satisfaction, and side effects were investigated.
- Midazolam inhibits tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced endothelial activation: involvement of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptorHee Kyoung Joo
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Korea
Anesthesiology 110:106-12. 2009b>Midazolam is widely used as an intravenous sedative. However, the role of midazolam on vascular endothelial activation is still unknown...
- Pomegranate juice does not impair clearance of oral or intravenous midazolam, a probe for cytochrome P450-3A activity: comparison with grapefruit juiceDora Farkas
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 47:286-94. 2007..13) with PJ (8 oz) did not alter the elimination half-life, volume of distribution, or clearance of intravenous midazolam (2 mg)...
- Bispectral index monitoring of conscious sedation with the combination of meperidine and midazolam during endoscopyMohammed A Qadeer
Section of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:102-8. 2008..Thus, we performed a prospective observational study to assess its ability for detecting deep sedation during endoscopy...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of midazolam and metabolites in nonventilated infants after craniofacial surgeryMariska Y M Peeters
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, St Antonius Hospital, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 105:1135-46. 2006Because information on the optimal dose of midazolam for sedation of nonventilated infants after major surgery is scant, a population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic model is developed for this specific group.
- Sedation in uncooperative children undergoing dental procedures: a comparative evaluation of midazolam, propofol and ketamineKavitha Rai
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Children Dentistry, A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
J Clin Pediatr Dent 32:1-4. 2007..The efficacy and safety of conscious sedation, using intravenous short acting group of drugs (midazolam, propofol and ketamine) in uncooperative children, requiring oral rehabilitation was thus evaluated in this ..
- Sex differences in CYP3A activity using intravenous and oral midazolamMaylee Chen
Ordway Research Institute Drug Development Center, Albany, NY 12206 1066, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:531-8. 2006..Our objective is to investigate whether sex differences exist in CYP3A activity as assessed by intravenous (IV) or oral midazolam pharmacokinetic analysis in healthy volunteers.
- Etomidate versus midazolam for procedural sedation in pediatric outpatients: a randomized controlled trialLydia Di Liddo
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 48:433-40, 440.e1. 2006b>Midazolam is widely used for procedural sedation and analgesia. Etomidate has been studied mostly in adults. Our objective is to compare the efficacy of etomidate and midazolam for achieving procedural sedation and analgesia in children.
- Efficacy of ketamine and midazolam as co-induction agents with propofol for laryngeal mask insertion in childrenShiba Goel
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Paediatr Anaesth 18:628-34. 2008Use of midazolam and ketamine lowers the induction dose of propofol (co-induction) producing hemodynamic stability.
- Impact of Antibiotics and Vaccines on the in vivo Evolution of S. pneumoniaeGarth Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..Genetic constructs and crosses will have t..
- Garlic Metabolism and Cytochrome P450 ModulationDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2007..caffeine (1A2), buproprion (2B6), chlorzoxazone (2E1), tolbutamide (2C9), omeprazole (2C19), metoprolol (2D6), midazolam (3A4/5), and digoxin (Pgp), will be administered to a panel of healthy human volunteers at various times during ..
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Hypothesis 4. Clonidine (alpha2 agonist) and midazolam (benzodiazepine) suppress MC activation and this will diminish granuloma formation...
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hypothesis 4. Clonidine (alpha2 agonist) and midazolam (benzodiazepine) suppress MC activation and this will diminish granuloma formation...
- Tumor NMR Images are Affected by AnestheticNatarajan Raghunand; Fiscal Year: 2006..pentobarbital, and isoflurane, and one customized injectable anesthetic protocol: etomidate/fentanyl/midazolam. These investigations will be accomplished in SCID mice bearing HT-29 colon carcinoma xenografts...
- Inflammation-induced changes in spinal GABA-A receptor signalingMichael S Gold; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, our recent data also indicate that midazolam, a benzodiazepine receptor agonist, retains analgesic efficacy in the presence of inflammation, indicating that ..
- New York-Presbyterian NETT ConsortiumStephan Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..of therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest, the Merci' clot retriever for acute ischemic stroke, midazolam infusion for refractory status epilepticus, and clinical trials evaluating neuroprotective agents for acute ..
- Drug Metabolism and Chronic Liver DiseaseRobert Branch; Fiscal Year: 2005..Part 2: Semi-simultaneous oral:intravenous administration with midazolam to measure intestinal and hepatic contributions to CYP3A metabolism and Part 3: oral administration of ..
- EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF SEDATIVE/STIMULANT ABUSEROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1993..four experiments will compare the effects of a range of doses of lorazepam with a range of doses of methyprylon, midazolam, flunitrazepam and several novel anxiolytics...
- Herb-Opioid InteractionsDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2003..and hepatic CYP3A4 through intravenous and oral administrations of a CYP3A-specific, in vivo catalytic probe -midazolam. The fentanyl arm of the study will 1) assess the effects of SJW on the brain uptake and efflux kinetics of ..
- Experimental Analysis of Novel Drugs of AbuseROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 2006..triazolam (Exp. 1); ketamine vs. midazolam (Exp. 2); and clonidine vs. alprazolam (Exp. 3)...
- NEOPAIN MULTICENTER TRIAL: DATA COORDINATING CENTERBruce Barton; Fiscal Year: 2001..5 percent of neonates during NICU care or invasive procedures. A pilot randomized trial of morphine, midazolam, or placebo therapy in 69 preterm neonates showed reduced behavioral responses to pain and evidence of decreased ..
- ALCOHOL-INDUCED HEPATIC P450s IN HCV/HIV OXIDATE INJURYSTEVEN SHEDLOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2003..P450 activities will be determined using the drug probes chlorzoxazone for CYP2EI and midazolam for CYP3A4. Theophylline will be used for CYP1A2...
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKelly Young; Fiscal Year: 2004..of the long-term effects of painful experiences; and 4) to test a pharmacological (intramuscular ketamine and midazolam) and a behavioral (blowing on a party blower) intervention for reducing the pain and stress response...
- ANESTHETIC MECHANISMS BY IN VIVO BRAIN IMAGINGFerenc Gyulai; Fiscal Year: 2004..antagonist, proves to be insensitive to increasing doses of muscimol, the binding of the benzodiazepine agonist midazolam will be used as a probe for GABAA-R function by measuring the displacement of 11C-FMZ by midazolam...
- Human Clinical Pharmacology of Emerging Drugs of Abuse (Club Drugs)Roland R Griffiths; Fiscal Year: 2010..by evaluating a range of intramuscularly administered doses of ketamine relative to intramuscularly administered midazolam as the comparison standard...
- Human Clinical Pharmacology of Emerging Drugs of Abuse (Club Drugs)ROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 2007..by evaluating a range of intramuscularly administered doses of ketamine relative to intramuscularly administered midazolam as the comparison standard...
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionJ Gorski; Fiscal Year: 2005..in hepatic clearance, cirrhotic patients with TIPS experience an increase in intestinal availability of midazolam, a selective cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) substrate...
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2010..strategies: central 12 adrenergic sedative-analgesic (dexmedetomidine) versus a conventional sedation strategy (midazolam and fentanyl) in a randomized, double blind, cross-over study...
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2009..strategies: central 12 adrenergic sedative-analgesic (dexmedetomidine) versus a conventional sedation strategy (midazolam and fentanyl) in a randomized, double blind, cross-over study...