Genomes and Genes
Summary: A short-acting hypnotic-sedative drug with anxiolytic and amnestic properties. It is used in dentistry, cardiac surgery, endoscopic procedures, as preanesthetic medication, and as an adjunct to local anesthesia. The short duration and cardiorespiratory stability makes it useful in poor-risk, elderly, and cardiac patients. It is water-soluble at pH less than 4 and lipid-soluble at physiological pH.
Publications259 found, 100 shown here
- Disruptive effect of midazolam on fear memory reconsolidation: decisive influence of reactivation time span and memory ageSilvia G Bustos
Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Haya de la Torre y Medina Allende, Cordoba, Argentina
Neuropsychopharmacology 34:446-57. 2009..memory was reactivated by exposure to the associated context for different periods of time that were followed by midazolam (MDZ) administration. We also studied MDZ amnesic effect after reactivating fear memories of several ages...
- Does midazolam alter the clinical effects of intravenous ketamine sedation in children? A double-blind, randomized, controlled, emergency department trialJ E Wathen
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Emergency Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center The Children s Hospital, Denver, CO, USA
Ann Emerg Med 36:579-88. 2000..conducted to investigate the frequency and severity of adverse effects, specifically emergence phenomena, experienced by patients receiving intravenous ketamine with or without midazolam for sedation in a pediatric emergency department.
- Comparison of midazolam sedation with or without fentanyl in cataract surgeryO Yalcin Cok
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Baskent University, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Belg 59:27-32. 2008We compared the effect of midazolam sedation with or without fentanyl on the hemodynamic parameters, sedation, and pain and satisfaction profile in cataract surgery...
- Effects of pregnancy on CYP3A and P-glycoprotein activities as measured by disposition of midazolam and digoxin: a University of Washington specialized center of research studyM F Hebert
Department of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 84:248-53. 2008..evaluate the effects of pregnancy on CYP3A and P-glycoprotein (P-gp) activities, as measured by disposition of midazolam and digoxin, respectively. Thirteen women received digoxin (0.25 mg p.o.) and midazolam (2 mg p.o...
- Short-term effects of intravenous benzodiazepines on autonomic neurocardiac regulation in humans: a comparison between midazolam, diazepam, and lorazepamMarcus W Agelink
Department of Neurocardiology, Institute of Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Evangelical Clinics Gelsenkirchen, Ruhr-University of Bochum, Germany
Crit Care Med 30:997-1006. 2002OBJECTIVES: To evaluate the effects of intravenously applied diazepam, lorazepam, and midazolam on autonomic neurocardiac regulation assessed by standardized measurements of heart rate variability...
- Oral ketamine/midazolam is superior to intramuscular meperidine, promethazine, and chlorpromazine for pediatric cardiac catheterizationS M Auden
Departments of Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, and Family and Community Medicine of the University of Louisville and Kosair Children s Hospital, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Anesth Analg 90:299-305. 2000..We compared this IM combination to oral (PO) ketamine/midazolam in children having cardiac catheterization...
- Midazolam challenge reinduces neurological deficits after transient ischemic attackRonald M Lazar
From the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Stroke 34:794-6. 2003..Having previously shown that an experimental challenge with the GABAA agonist midazolam in recovered stroke patients can reinduce the acute clinical state, we determined whether TIA patients would ..
- Double-blind randomized controlled trial to determine extent of amnesia with midazolam given immediately before general anaesthesiaR Bulach
Department of Anaesthesia and Pain Management, Alfred Hospital, Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria 3004, Australia
Br J Anaesth 94:300-5. 2005BACKGROUND: Anterograde, but not retrograde, amnesia has been demonstrated following midazolam administration. However, there have been no studies investigating whether or not immediate retrograde amnesia can be produced with midazolam...
- Bispectral analysis measures sedation and memory effects of propofol, midazolam, isoflurane, and alfentanil in healthy volunteersP S Glass
Department of Anesthesiology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Anesthesiology 86:836-47. 1997..This study was designed to evaluate this relation for four commonly used anesthetic drugs: propofol, midazolam, isoflurane, and alfentanil.
- Changes in respiratory pattern and arterial blood gases during sedation with propofol or midazolam in spinal anesthesiaM Yamakage
Department of Anesthesiology, Sapporo Medical University, School of Medicine, Hokkaido, Japan
J Clin Anesth 11:375-9. 1999To investigate changes in respiratory pattern and arterial blood gases during sedation with propofol or midazolam in spinal anesthesia.
- Neural correlates of cat odor-induced anxiety in rats: region-specific effects of the benzodiazepine midazolamIain S McGregor
School of Psychology, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales 2006, Australia
J Neurosci 24:4134-44. 2004..Rats received either midazolam (0.75 mg/kg, s.c...
- Reconsolidation of a morphine place preference: impact of the strength and age of memory on disruption by propranolol and midazolamM J F Robinson
Department of Psychology, McGill University, 1205 Dr Penfield Ave, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Behav Brain Res 213:201-7. 2010..reactivated drug-free, and immediately afterwards animals received an injection of propranolol (10mg/kg, SC), midazolam (1mg/kg, IP), both amnestic agents combined, or saline...
- A protocol of no sedation for critically ill patients receiving mechanical ventilation: a randomised trialThomas Strøm
Department of Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Odense University Hospital, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Lancet 375:475-80. 2010..We aimed to establish whether duration of mechanical ventilation could be reduced with a protocol of no sedation versus daily interruption of sedation...
- Dexmedetomidine vs midazolam for monitored anaesthesia care during cataract surgeryJ A Alhashemi
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, King Abdulaziz University, King Abdulaziz University Hospital PO Box 31648, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Br J Anaesth 96:722-6. 2006Cataract surgery is commonly performed under local anaesthesia with midazolam sedation. Dexmedetomidine, a sedative-analgesic, is devoid of respiratory depressant effects, and its use in cataract surgery has not been reported...
- Cough suppression during flexible bronchoscopy using combined sedation with midazolam and hydrocodone: a randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trialD Stolz
Division of Respiratory Medicine and Pulmonary Cell Research, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Thorax 59:773-6. 2004..A randomised, placebo controlled, double blind study was undertaken to determine whether hydrocodone in combination with midazolan improves cough suppression during FB without increasing the risk of desaturation...
- Safety of intravenous midazolam and fentanyl for pediatric GI endoscopy: prospective study of 1578 endoscopiesPetar Mamula
Division of GI and Nutrition, The Children s Hospital of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 65:203-10. 2007..Data on safety of intravenous sedation in pediatric GI endoscopy are sparse...
- Effect of oral ketoconazole on intestinal first-pass effect of midazolam and fexofenadine in cynomolgus monkeysAkihito Ogasawara
Exploratory DMPK, Exploratory Toxicology and DMPK Research Laboratories, Tanabe Seiyaku Co, Ltd, 2 2 50, Kawagishi, Toda, Saitama, 335 8505, Japan
Drug Metab Dispos 35:410-8. 2007..In the present investigation, we evaluated the intestinal first-pass effect of midazolam (MDZ) and fexofenadine (FEX), typical substrates for CYP3A and P-glycoprotein (P-gp), respectively, with ..
- Etomidate and midazolam for procedural sedation: prospective, randomized trialGregory S Hunt
Department of Emergency Medicine, St. Luke's Hospital, New Bedford, MA 02740, USA
Am J Emerg Med 23:299-303. 2005..time of sedation and time to patient disposition in patients undergoing procedural sedation with etomidate and midazolam. METHODS: Prospective, randomized, double-blind trial comparing etomidate (0.10 mg/kg) and midazolam (0...
- Sedation in uncooperative children undergoing dental procedures: a comparative evaluation of midazolam, propofol and ketamineKavitha Rai
Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Children Dentistry, A B Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences, Mangalore, Karnataka, India
J Clin Pediatr Dent 32:1-4. 2007..The efficacy and safety of conscious sedation, using intravenous short acting group of drugs (midazolam, propofol and ketamine) in uncooperative children, requiring oral rehabilitation was thus evaluated in this ..
- The erythromycin breath test reflects P-glycoprotein function independently of cytochrome P450 3A activityDaniel Kurnik
Department of Medicine, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN 37232 6602, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:228-34. 2006..Thus studies were undertaken to determine the effect of tariquidar, a potent P-glycoprotein inhibitor that does not affect CYP3A activity, on the ERBT and on the CYP3A-mediated metabolism of midazolam, a non-P-glycoprotein substrate.
- The midazolam-induced paradox phenomenon is reversible by flumazenil. Epidemiology, patient characteristics and review of the literatureA A Weinbroum
Post Anesthesia Care Unit, Tel Aviv Sourasky Medical Center, 6 Weizman St, Tel Aviv 64239, Israel
Eur J Anaesthesiol 18:789-97. 2001b>Midazolam may occasionally precipitate hostility and violence instead of tranquility...
- Effect of midazolam on interleukin-6 mRNA expression in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells in the absence of lipopolysaccharideT Miyawaki
Department of Dental Anesthesiology, Okayama University Hospital of Dentistry, 2 5 1 Shikata cho, Okayama 700 8525, Japan
Cytokine 15:320-7. 2001b>Midazolam, a benzodiazepine, has an hypnotic effect via benzodiazepine receptors and is widely used as an anaesthetic. Recently, it has been suggested that benzodiazepines modulate cytokine responses...
- Pomegranate juice does not impair clearance of oral or intravenous midazolam, a probe for cytochrome P450-3A activity: comparison with grapefruit juiceDora Farkas
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 47:286-94. 2007..13) with PJ (8 oz) did not alter the elimination half-life, volume of distribution, or clearance of intravenous midazolam (2 mg)...
- Efficacy of ketamine and midazolam as co-induction agents with propofol for laryngeal mask insertion in childrenShiba Goel
Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research PGIMER, Chandigarh, India
Paediatr Anaesth 18:628-34. 2008Use of midazolam and ketamine lowers the induction dose of propofol (co-induction) producing hemodynamic stability.
- A randomized, blinded comparison of chloral hydrate and midazolam sedation in children undergoing echocardiographyD S Wheeler
Division of Critical Care Medicine, Children's Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Clin Pediatr (Phila) 40:381-7. 2001..of this prospective, randomized, and blinded study was to compare the use of chloral hydrate versus oral midazolam sedation in children undergoing echocardiography...
- One-trial tolerance to midazolam is due to enhancement of fear and reduction of anxiolytic-sensitive behaviors in the elevated plus-maze retest in the ratS E Cruz-Morales
Laboratory of Psychopharmacology, FES-Iztacala, UNAM, Mexico City, Mexico
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 72:973-8. 2002..Rats injected with saline before both trials (control), treated with 1.0 mg/kg of midazolam before both trials (MM), or only before Trial 2 (SM), were exposed to the EPM...
- Pretreatment with midazolam suppresses morphine withdrawal response in mice and ratsJun Li Cao
Department of Anesthesiology, Affiliated Hospital of Xuzhou Medical College, Xuzhou 221002, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 23:685-90. 2002To investigate the roles of pretreatment with midazolam on morphine withdrawal in mice and rats.
- Exposure-dependent inhibition of intestinal and hepatic CYP3A4 in vivo by grapefruit juiceMaria L Veronese
Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Departments of Medicine and Biochemistry, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 43:831-9. 2003..of hepatic and intestinal cytochrome P450 3A4 in vivo, employing the erythromycin breath test (EBT) and oral midazolam pharmacokinetics...
- A prospective, double-blind, randomized trial of midazolam versus haloperidol versus lorazepam in the chemical restraint of violent and severely agitated patientsFlavia Nobay
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Acad Emerg Med 11:744-9. 2004OBJECTIVES: To determine if midazolam is superior to lorazepam or haloperidol in the management of violent and severely agitated patients in the emergency department...
- Sex differences in CYP3A activity using intravenous and oral midazolamMaylee Chen
Ordway Research Institute Drug Development Center, Albany, NY 12206-1066, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 80:531-8. 2006..is to investigate whether sex differences exist in CYP3A activity as assessed by intravenous (IV) or oral midazolam pharmacokinetic analysis in healthy volunteers. METHODS: Data from 13 previous studies were used...
- Paradoxical reactions to benzodiazepines in intravenous sedation: a report of 2 cases and review of the literatureChristian Robin
Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Larchmont, New York 10538, USA
Anesth Prog 49:128-32. 2002..Two cases of paradoxical reactions associated with the use of intravenous midazolam are presented, and the management of this complication and its different etiologies are reviewed...
- Conscious sedation: Off-label use of rectal S(+)-ketamine and midazolam for wound dressing changes in paediatric heat injuriesM Heinrich
Department of Paediatric Surgery, Dr v Haunersches Kinderspital München, Munchen, Germany
Eur J Pediatr Surg 14:235-9. 2004..The goal of this study was to evaluate the off-label use of rectally administered S(+)-ketamine and Midazolam by paediatric surgeons during repeated outpatient dressing changes for paediatric burns and scalding.
- Pre-medication for bronchoscopy: a randomised double blind trial comparing alfentanil with midazolamCatherine M Houghton
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Hope Hospital, Salford M6 8HD, UK
Respir Med 98:1102-7. 2004This study was designed to compare the effects of alfentanil and midazolam pre-medication on patient comfort during and after flexible bronchoscopy...
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of midazolam and metabolites in nonventilated infants after craniofacial surgeryMariska Y M Peeters
Department of Clinical Pharmacy, St Antonius Hospital, The Netherlands
Anesthesiology 105:1135-46. 2006Because information on the optimal dose of midazolam for sedation of nonventilated infants after major surgery is scant, a population pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic model is developed for this specific group.
- Etomidate versus midazolam for procedural sedation in pediatric outpatients: a randomized controlled trialLydia Di Liddo
Division of Emergency Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Ste Justine, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Ann Emerg Med 48:433-40, 440.e1. 2006b>Midazolam is widely used for procedural sedation and analgesia. Etomidate has been studied mostly in adults. Our objective is to compare the efficacy of etomidate and midazolam for achieving procedural sedation and analgesia in children.
- Prophylactic antiemetic effect of midazolam after middle ear surgeryJae Sik Jung
Department of Anesthesiology, Kyungpook National University Hospital, Jung Gu, Daegu, Republic of Korea
Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 137:753-6. 2007To investigate the prophylactic antiemetic effect of midazolam after middle ear surgery.
- Combination of oral ketamine and midazolam as a premedication for a severely autistic and combative patientShailesh Shah
Department of Pediatric Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Arkansas Children s Hospital, Little Rock, AR, 72202, USA
J Anesth 23:126-8. 2009..A combination of oral ketamine and midazolam was mixed in the beverage Dr Pepper to mask the taste and the appearance of the drugs...
- Bispectral index monitoring of conscious sedation with the combination of meperidine and midazolam during endoscopyMohammed A Qadeer
Section of Therapeutic Endoscopy, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 6:102-8. 2008..Thus, we performed a prospective observational study to assess its ability for detecting deep sedation during endoscopy...
- Comparison of midazolam, propofol and fentanyl combinations for sedation and hemodynamic parameters in cataract extractionVarol Celiker
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Faculty of Medicine, Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey
Saudi Med J 28:1198-203. 2007b>Midazolam, propofol and fentanyl were compared in terms of sedation during cataract extraction. Hemodynamic parameters, sedation level, postoperative satisfaction, and side effects were investigated.
- Midazolam inhibits hippocampal long-term potentiation and learning through dual central and peripheral benzodiazepine receptor activation and neurosteroidogenesisKazuhiro Tokuda
Department of Psychiatry, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Neurosci 30:16788-95. 2010..In rat hippocampal slices, we compared midazolam, an anesthetic BDZ, with clonazepam, an anticonvulsant/anxiolytic BDZ that activates CBRs selectively...
- Synergistic sedation with low-dose midazolam and propofol for colonoscopiesF M Reimann
Department of Internal Medicine I, University of Lubeck, Germany
Endoscopy 32:239-44. 2000Patients undergoing colonoscopy are often sedated with benzodiazepines and long-acting opiates. Since low-dose midazolam also acts synergistically with short-acting propofol, we compared this synergistic sedation with a standard ..
- Use of low-dose ketamine and/or midazolam for pediatric cardiac catheterizationA Jobeir
Department of Anesthesiology, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh 11211, Saudi Arabia
Pediatr Cardiol 24:236-43. 2003Ketamine and midazolam are commonly used in children undergoing cardiac catheterization. However, there is controversy regarding the safety of administering these agents in the absence of an anesthesiologist...
- Effectiveness of sedation using nitrous oxide compared with enteral midazolam for botulinum toxin A injections in childrenJudith L Zier
Gillette Children s Specialty Healthcare, St Paul, MN, USA
Dev Med Child Neurol 50:854-8. 2008..double-blind, placebo-controlled study compared the efficacy of inhaled nitrous oxide (N(2)O) with enteral midazolam for sedation of children with cerebral palsy (CP) undergoing botulinum toxin A (BoNT-A) injections...
- Bispectral index-guided intraoperative sedation with dexmedetomidine and midazolam infusion in outpatient cataract surgeryA Apan
Department of Anesthesiology, Kirikkale University Faculty of Medicine, Kirikkale, Turkey
Minerva Anestesiol 75:239-44. 2009This study aimed to evaluate the role of alfa-2 agonist infusion, with dexmedetomidine or midazolam, on hemodynamic and respiratory parameters while titrating the sedation level with the bispectral index (BIS) during cataract surgery.
- Midazolam inhibits tumor necrosis factor-alpha-induced endothelial activation: involvement of the peripheral benzodiazepine receptorHee Kyoung Joo
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Korea
Anesthesiology 110:106-12. 2009b>Midazolam is widely used as an intravenous sedative. However, the role of midazolam on vascular endothelial activation is still unknown...
- Effects of midazolam on brain injury after transient focal cerebral ischemia in rats*Baiping Lei
Department of Anesthesiology, State University of New York Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, USA
J Neurosurg Anesthesiol 21:131-9. 2009The benzodiazepine, midazolam, is commonly used for sedation and anesthesia in the operating room and the intensive care unit where there is a risk of cerebral ischemia...
- Titrated sedation with propofol or midazolam for flexible bronchoscopy: a randomised trialG Clark
Centre valaisan de pneumologie, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Eur Respir J 34:1277-83. 2009In this study, we questioned whether propofol provided clinical benefits compared with midazolam in terms of neuropsychometric recovery, safety profile and patient tolerance...
- Acetazolamide and midazolam act synergistically to inhibit neuropathic painMarina Asiedu
The University of Arizona School of Medicine, Department of Pharmacology, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Pain 148:302-8. 2010..Moreover, we demonstrate that spinal co-administration of ACT and midazolam (MZL) act synergistically to reduce neuropathic allodynia after peripheral nerve injury...
- Etomidate versus midazolam for out-of-hospital intubation: a prospective, randomized trialJeanne Jacoby
St Luke s Hospital, Bethlehem, PA 18015, USA
Ann Emerg Med 47:525-30. 2006The primary objective of this study is to compare the intubation success rates of etomidate and midazolam when used for sedative-facilitated intubation, without paralytics, in out-of-hospital adult patients.
- Effects of midazolam on explicit vs implicit memory in a pediatric surgery settingSherry H Stewart
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Life Sciences Center, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 4J1, Canada
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 188:489-97. 2006Placebo-controlled studies show that midazolam impairs explicit memory in children undergoing surgery (Buffett-Jerrott et al., Psychopharmacology 168:377-386, 2003; Kain et al., Anesthesiology 93:676-684, 2000)...
- The effect of midazolam on neutrophil mitogen-activated protein kinaseKamran Ghori
Cork University Hospital, Cork, Ireland
Eur J Anaesthesiol 27:562-5. 2010..The objectives of this in-vitro investigation were to examine the effect of midazolam on neutrophil p38 MAPK activation (phosphorylation) following in-vitro ischaemia-reperfusion injury, and the ..
- Efficacy of intrathecal midazolam with or without epidural methylprednisolone for management of post-herpetic neuralgia involving lumbosacral dermatomesG P Dureja
Department of Pain Medicine, Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, New Delhi, India
Pain Physician 13:213-21. 2010..Recent studies have shown a promising anti nociceptive effect for intrathecal midazolam, a water soluble benzodiazepine, due to its interaction with benzodiazepine-GABA-A receptor complex within the ..
- Dexmedetomidine-ketamine and midazolam-ketamine combinations for sedation in pediatric patients undergoing extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy: a randomized prospective studySenem Koruk
Department of Anesthesiology and Reanimation, Gaziantep University Medical School, 27310 Sehitkamil, Gaziantep, Turkey
J Anesth 24:858-63. 2010..The aim of this randomized prospective study was to compare the effects of dexmedetomidine-ketamine and midazolam-ketamine combinations on the recovery time, hemodynamic and respiratory variables, and side effects in pediatric ..
- Changes in biomechanical parameters during heart perfusion and after midazolam pre-medication--experimental pilot studyLenka Bartosikova
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, Palacky University, Olomouc, Czech Republic
Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub 152:79-82. 2008b>Midazolam is a frequently used benzodiazepine in anaesthesiology and intensive care.
- Effects of midazolam in the spinal nerve ligation model of neuropathic pain in ratsV K Kontinen
Department of Pharmacology, University College London, Gower Street, London, UK
Pain 85:425-31. 2000..after nerve injury were studied by comparing the effects of systemic administration of the benzodiazepine midazolam on the noxious evoked responses of dorsal horn in rats with spinal nerve ligation of neuropathy and control ..
- Midazolam: effects on amnesia and anxiety in childrenZ N Kain
Departments of Anesthesiology, Pediatrics, Child Psychiatry, Psychology, and the Children s Clinical Research Center, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Anesthesiology 93:676-84. 2000The minimum time interval between administration of oral midazolam and separation of children from their parents that ensures good anterograde amnesia has not been previously determined...
- A comparison of the effects of propofol and midazolam on memory during two levels of sedation by using target-controlled infusionA de Roode
Department of Anesthesiology and Centre for Human Drug Research, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Anesth Analg 91:1056-61. 2000We examined memory during sedation with target-controlled infusions of propofol and midazolam in a double-blinded five-way, cross-over study in 10 volunteers...
- Effect of common CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 variants on the pharmacokinetics of the cytochrome P450 3A phenotyping probe midazolam in cancer patientsErin R Lepper
Science Applications International Corporation Frederick, Maryland, USA
Clin Cancer Res 11:7398-404. 2005To evaluate the effect of naturally occurring variants in genes encoding the cytochrome P450 (CYP) isoforms CYP3A4 and CYP3A5 in patients with cancer receiving midazolam as a phenotyping probe.
- Propofol versus midazolam regarding their antioxidant activitiesM Tsuchiya
Department of Biochemistry, and Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Osaka City University Medical School, Abenoku, Osaka, Japan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:26-31. 2001Propofol and midazolam are commonly used as sedatives for critically ill patients...
- Premedication with melatonin vs midazolam in anxious childrenBerrin Isik
Departments of Oral and Maxillo Facial Surgery, Gazi University Faculty of Dentistry, Ankara, Turkey
Paediatr Anaesth 18:635-41. 2008Failure of dental treatment caused by anxiety is a common problem in children. Oral midazolam has been the most commonly used premedication for pediatric patient but the use of midazolam may be associated with paradoxical reactions in ..
- Nurse-administered propofol sedation compared with midazolam and meperidine for EUS: a prospective, randomized trialJohn DeWitt
Departments of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Indiana University Medical Center and Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 68:499-509. 2008The utility of nurse-administered propofol sedation (NAPS) compared with midazolam and meperidine (M/M) for EUS is not known.
- Comparison of prophylactic use of midazolam, ketamine, and ketamine plus midazolam for prevention of shivering during regional anaesthesia: a randomized double-blind placebo controlled trialA Honarmand
Department of Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Br J Anaesth 101:557-62. 2008..The aim of the present study was to compare the efficacy of low-dose prophylactic midazolam with that of placebo, ketamine, and a combination of ketamine and midazolam in the prevention of shivering ..
- Dental therapeutic practice patterns in the U.S. I. Anesthesia and sedationPaul A Moore
Oral Health Science Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine, USA
Gen Dent 54:92-8. 2006..7%), or local anesthesia alone (12.9%). For intravenous conscious sedation, a three-drug technique using midazolam, fentanyl, and propofol was reported most commonly...
- Anesthesiologist-controlled versus patient-controlled propofol sedation for shockwave lithotripsyJamal A Alhashemi
Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, King Abdulaziz University Hospital, P O Box 31648, Jeddah 21418, Saudi Arabia
Can J Anaesth 53:449-55. 2006..To compare anesthesiologist-controlled sedation (ACS) with patient-controlled sedation (PCS), with respect to propofol requirements, sedation, and recovery, in patients undergoing extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy for urinary calculi...
- Sedation with ketamine during intradiscal electrothermal therapySteven P Cohen
Pain Management Centers, Department of Anesthesiology, and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 29:1590-2. 2004..A technical report...
- Propofol versus midazolam/fentanyl for outpatient colonoscopy: administration by nurses supervised by endoscopistsBrian J Ulmer
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Medicine, Indiana University Hospital, Indianapolis 46202, USA
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 1:425-32. 2003..We compared nurse-administered propofol to midazolam plus fentanyl for outpatient colonoscopy...
- Sedation for percutaneous treatment of hepatic hydatid cyst in a pregnant patientLeyla Iyilikci
Department of Anaesthesiology, Dokuz Eylul University, School of Medicine, Inonu cad No 264 12, 35280, Hatay, Izmir, Turkey
Arch Gynecol Obstet 274:113-4. 2006..A 15 cm hepatic hydatid cyst was diagnosed in a multigravida in 16 weeks of pregnancy and was managed percutaneously under sedation...
- Stepwise sedation is safe and effective for the insertion of central venous cathetersF H Bosch
Department of Internal Medicine, Rijnstate Hospital, PO Box 9555, 6800 TA Arnhem, The Netherlands
Neth J Med 62:18-21. 2004..The introduction of a central venous catheter in haemodialysis patients is an unpleasant procedure for the patient. Intravenous sedation is accepted practice in complicated endoscopic procedures but not often used in haemodialysis patients...
- [Sedative practice in intensive care units results of a Maghrebian survey]Souissi Kamel
, CHU Mongi Slim, La Marsa
Tunis Med 83:657-63. 2005..RESULTS: 50 of 138 questionnaires were returned (response rate = 36.2%). Midazolam and Fentanyl were the main sedative agents used (respectively 98% and 87%) less than 14% of the ICUs used the ..
- Moderate level sedation during endoscopy: a prospective study using low-dose propofol, meperidine/fentanyl, and midazolamLawrence B Cohen
Department of Medicine (Gastroenterology, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, New York, USA
Gastrointest Endosc 59:795-803. 2004..METHODS: One hundred patients undergoing colonoscopy or EGD were sedated with low-dose propofol, midazolam, and fentanyl (or meperidine)...
- Delirium during intravenous sedation with midazolam alone and with propofol in dental treatmentY Mohri-Ikuzawa
Anesthesiology and Clinical Physiology, Department of Oral Restitution, Division of Oral Health Sciences, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, Japan
Anesth Prog 53:95-7. 2006..Although delirium caused by midazolam or propofol in different patients has been reported, the present case represents a delirium that developed from ..
- Uvular edema secondary to snoring under deep sedationRobert J Miller
Department of Surgery, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio, USA
Anesth Prog 53:13-6. 2006..with a documented history of obstructive sleep apnea with loud snoring received deep intravenous sedation with midazolam, fentanyl, ketamine, and propofol infusion and a left interscalene brachial plexus nerve block for a left biceps ..
- Differential effects of intravenous anesthetics on ciliary motility in cultured rat tracheal epithelial cellsHiroko Iida
Department of Anesthesia, Kyoto University Hospital, Kyoto 606-8507, Japan
Can J Anaesth 53:242-9. 2006..We studied the effects of midazolam, propofol, dexmedetomidine, ketamine, fentanyl, thiopental and pentobarbital on ciliary beat frequency (CBF) in ..
- Propofol sedation with fentanyl or midazolam during oesophagogastroduodenoscopy in childrenN Disma
University of Catania, Policlinic, Anesthesiology Unit, Catania, Italy
Eur J Anaesthesiol 22:848-52. 2005..The aim of our study was to investigate sedation in children using propofol alone or combined with fentanyl or midazolam with regard to efficacy, adverse reactions or side-effects related to the drugs, ease of operation for the ..
- Conscious sedation in dental practice in the USA. An update on drugs, techniques and monitoringJoel Weaver
SAAD Dig 21:28-9. 2004
- Procedural sedation and analgesia: a review and new conceptsElizabeth L Bahn
Department of Emergency Medicine, Madigan Army Medical Center, Fort Lewis, WA 984431, USA
Emerg Med Clin North Am 23:503-17. 2005..With continued practice and research, expertise in this field will grow measurably...
- General versus spinal anesthesia with different forms of sedation in patients undergoing radical retropubic prostatectomy: results of a prospective, randomized studyAndrea Salonia
Department of Urology, University Vita Salute San Raffaele, Scientific Institute H San Raffaele, Milan, Italy
Int J Urol 13:1185-90. 2006....
- Dexmedetomidine for awake craniotomy without laryngeal maskAntonio Nogueira de Almeida
Instituto Neurologico de Sao Paulo, Hospital Sao Joaquim, Real e Benemérita Sociedade Portuguesa de Beneficência, Sao Paulo, SP, Brasil
Arq Neuropsiquiatr 63:748-50. 2005..This paper reports the use of dexmedetomidine in three epileptic patients with cavernous angiomas that underwent awake surgery in order to map their speech areas...
- Can remifentanil be a better choice than propofol for colonoscopy during monitored anesthesia care?Z N Akcaboy
Department of Anesthesiology, The Ministry of Health Ankara Numune Research and Training Hospital, Ankara, Turkey
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 50:736-41. 2006....
- From oral midazolam to propofol: a perspectiveEran Geller
Gastrointest Endosc 61:201-3. 2005
- Propofol versus midazolam/ketamine for procedural sedation in pediatric oncologySven Gottschling
University Children s Hospital, Department of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, University of the Saarland, Homburg, Germany
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 27:471-6. 2005..parameters, oxygen saturation and induction, and recovery time in propofol with or without morphine versus midazolam/ketamine sedation for procedural sedation in children with malignancies and hematologic disorders...
- Sedation in the critically ill ventilated patient: possible role of enteral drugsMarco Cigada
Istituto di Anestesiologia e Rianimazione dell Università degli Studi di Milano, Azienda Ospedaliera Polo Universitario San Paolo, Italy
Intensive Care Med 31:482-6. 2005..Sedation by the enteral route is unusual in intensive medicine. We analysed the feasibility/efficacy of long-term enteral sedation in ventilated critically ill patients...
- Canadian radiology residents' knowledge of sedation and analgesia: a web-based surveyKelly Mayson
Department of Anesthesia, University of British Columbia, Vancouver Hospital, Vancouver, BC
Can Assoc Radiol J 57:35-42. 2006..We sought to determine the level of understanding of the nature and use of such agents in Canadian radiology residents...
- Supraspinal anesthesia: behavioral and electroencephalographic effects of intracerebroventricularly infused pentobarbital, propofol, fentanyl, and midazolamIzabela Jugovac
Department of Anesthesiology, Medical College of Wisconsin, 8701 Watertown Plank Road, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Anesthesiology 105:764-78. 2006..60 min later, 50-min infusion of pentobarbital (6.0 mg/h), fentanyl (0.75 microg/h), propofol (3.0 mg/h), or midazolam (0.24 mg/h) was initiated. Vibrissal, olfactory, corneal, and tail-pinch responses were tested every 10 min...
- Adverse events associated with procedural sedation and analgesia in a pediatric emergency department: a comparison of common parenteral drugsMark G Roback
The Children s Hospital, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA
Acad Emerg Med 12:508-13. 2005..To compare the frequency and severity of adverse events associated with parenteral drugs commonly used for procedural sedation and analgesia (PSA) in a pediatric emergency department...
- Hemodynamics in elderly coronary artery disease patients undergoing propofol sedationJoseph E Cillo
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Parkland Memorial Hospital, Dallas, TX, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 64:1338-42. 2006..study was to evaluate noninvasive intraoperative hemodynamics in an elderly population with coronary artery disease (CAD) undergoing midazolam/fentanyl intravenous sedation-analgesia, with or without propofol for dentoalveolar surgery.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of sedation and analgesia regimens during fracture manipulation in the pediatric emergency departmentJay Pershad
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Tennessee Health Sciences Center, Memphis, TN, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 22:729-36. 2006..facilitate forearm fracture manipulation in the pediatric emergency department (ED): deep sedation with ketamine/midazolam (K/M) administration, propofol/fentanyl administration, fentanyl/midazolam (F/M) administration, and axillary ..
- Age effect on efficacy and side effects of two sedation and analgesia protocols on patients going through cardioversion: a randomized clinical trialMine Parlak
Department of Anesthesiology, Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Acad Emerg Med 13:493-9. 2006..Although several sedation agents currently are in use for CV, data on age-specific efficacy and side effects of midazolam and propofol have been limited...
- Morbidity and mortality of deep sedation in outpatient bone marrow biopsyChristopher M Burkle
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Hematol 77:250-6. 2004..Patients who received intravenously administered midazolam, fentanyl, and propofol for maintenance of deep sedation plus infiltration of a local anesthetic (n = 2,604; 45%)..
- Procedural sedation and analgesia in a Canadian adult tertiary care emergency department: a case seriesSam G Campbell
Department of Emergency Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
CJEM 8:85-93. 2006..To examine the safety of emergency department (ED) procedural sedation and analgesia (PSA) and the patterns of use of pharmacologic agents at a Canadian adult teaching hospital...
- Pediatric oncology sedation trial (POST): A double-blind randomized studyKim Nagel
McMaster Children s Hospital, Hamilton, Ontario
Pediatr Blood Cancer 51:634-8. 2008..There is limited evidence to support the use of an anti-emetic with the administration of intra-thecal chemotherapy. Nor is there adequate clarity on analgesic strategies for children with cancer undergoing painful procedures...
- Safety of sedation with ketamine in severe head injury patients: comparison with sufentanilAurelie Bourgoin
Department of Anesthesiology, Marseille University Hospital System, France
Crit Care Med 31:711-7. 2003The aim of the study was to compare the safety concerning cerebral hemodynamics of ketamine and sufentanil used for sedation of severe head injury patients, both drugs being used in combination with midazolam.
- [Anesthetic management in a patient previously diagnosed with takotsubo cardiomyopathy]M Batllori Gastón
Servicio de Anestesiologia, Reanimación y Tratamiento del Dolor, Hospital de Navarra, Pamplona
Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim 55:179-83. 2008..We believe that minimizing perioperative anxiety should be a priority in these patients due to the possibility that a catecholamine discharge might trigger an episode of Takotsubo cardiomyopathy...
- Midazolam and pethidine versus propofol and fentanyl patient controlled sedation/analgesia for upper gastrointestinal tract ultrasound endoscopy: a prospective randomized controlled trialM Agostoni
Department of Anaesthesiology, IRCCS H San Raffaele, Vita Salute University of Milano, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:1024-9. 2007The aim of this prospective, randomized study was to compare the standard regimen of midazolam and pethidine administered by the gastroenterologist versus patient controlled sedation with a propofol-fentanyl mixture during upper ..
- Comparative evaluation of Midazolam and Propofol as intravenous sedative agents in the management of unco-operative childrenV S Arya
Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry, Nair Hospital Dental College, Mumbai, Maharashtra
J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 20:6-8. 2002..A study was planned and carried out to evaluate and compare the efficacy and safety of Propofol and Midazolam as Intravenous sedative agents in the management of uncooperative children belonging to age group 2-5 years, ASA ..
- Metoclopramide does not influence the frequency of propofol-induced spontaneous movementsFima Lenkovsky
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Management Service, Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75216, USA
J Clin Anesth 19:530-3. 2007..To evaluate the effects of metoclopramide on the frequency and severity of propofol-induced movements...
- BIS monitoring during midazolam and midazolam-ketamine conscious intravenous sedation for oral surgeryZac Morse
Department of Anesthesiology, The Nippon Dental University at Niigata, Hamaura cho, Japan
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 94:420-4. 2002..of this study was to determine whether the bispectral index scale (BIS) would provide added benefit to established methods of monitoring conscious sedation with midazolam (M group) or midazolam supplemented with ketamine (MK group).
- Synergistic sedation with midazolam and propofol versus midazolam and pethidine in colonoscopies: a prospective, randomized studyGregorios A Paspatis
Department of Gastroenterology, Benizelion General Hospital, Heraklion-Crete, Greece
Am J Gastroenterol 97:1963-7. 2002..The aim of our study was to compare the safety and efficacy of the synergistic sedation with a low dose of midazolam combined with propofol versus the standard regimen of midazolam and pethidine for conscious sedation in ..
- Unconscious sedation/analgesia with propofol versus conscious sedation with fentanyl/midazolam for catheter ablation of atrial fibrillation: a prospective, randomized studyRi-bo Tang
Department of Cardiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing 100029, China
Chin Med J (Engl) 120:2036-8. 2007
- Sedation for cardioversion in the emergency department: analysis of effectiveness in four protocolsBlanca Coll-Vinent
Emergency Department, Hospital Clinic, Barcelona, Spain
Ann Emerg Med 42:767-72. 2003We compare effectiveness, adverse effects, and recovery times of propofol, etomidate, and midazolam (with and without flumazenil) for cardioversion in the emergency department (ED).
- A randomized, clinical trial of oral midazolam plus placebo versus oral midazolam plus oral transmucosal fentanyl for sedation during laceration repairEileen J Klein
Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington and Children s Hospital and Regional Medical Center, Seattle, Washington 98105 0371, USA
Pediatrics 109:894-7. 2002..a combination of oral transmucosal fentanyl (Fentanyl Oralet, Abbott Laboratories, North Chicago, IL) plus oral midazolam has an acceptable safety profile and is more effective than oral midazolam alone for sedation during laceration ..
- Impact of Antibiotics and Vaccines on the in vivo Evolution of S. pneumoniaeGarth Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..Genetic constructs and crosses will have t..
- Garlic Metabolism and Cytochrome P450 ModulationDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2007..caffeine (1A2), buproprion (2B6), chlorzoxazone (2E1), tolbutamide (2C9), omeprazole (2C19), metoprolol (2D6), midazolam (3A4/5), and digoxin (Pgp), will be administered to a panel of healthy human volunteers at various times during ..
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony L Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Hypothesis 4. Clonidine (alpha2 agonist) and midazolam (benzodiazepine) suppress MC activation and this will diminish granuloma formation...
- Characterization of Toxicity with Spinal OpiatesTony Yaksh; Fiscal Year: 2007..Hypothesis 4. Clonidine (alpha2 agonist) and midazolam (benzodiazepine) suppress MC activation and this will diminish granuloma formation...
- Tumor NMR Images are Affected by AnestheticNatarajan Raghunand; Fiscal Year: 2006..pentobarbital, and isoflurane, and one customized injectable anesthetic protocol: etomidate/fentanyl/midazolam. These investigations will be accomplished in SCID mice bearing HT-29 colon carcinoma xenografts...
- Inflammation-induced changes in spinal GABA-A receptor signalingMichael S Gold; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, our recent data also indicate that midazolam, a benzodiazepine receptor agonist, retains analgesic efficacy in the presence of inflammation, indicating that ..
- New York-Presbyterian NETT ConsortiumStephan Mayer; Fiscal Year: 2007..of therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest, the Merci' clot retriever for acute ischemic stroke, midazolam infusion for refractory status epilepticus, and clinical trials evaluating neuroprotective agents for acute ..
- ANESTHETIC MECHANISMS BY IN VIVO BRAIN IMAGINGFerenc Gyulai; Fiscal Year: 2004..antagonist, proves to be insensitive to increasing doses of muscimol, the binding of the benzodiazepine agonist midazolam will be used as a probe for GABAA-R function by measuring the displacement of 11C-FMZ by midazolam...
- Drug Metabolism and Chronic Liver DiseaseRobert Branch; Fiscal Year: 2005..Part 2: Semi-simultaneous oral:intravenous administration with midazolam to measure intestinal and hepatic contributions to CYP3A metabolism and Part 3: oral administration of ..
- EXPERIMENTAL ANALYSIS OF SEDATIVE/STIMULANT ABUSEROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1993..four experiments will compare the effects of a range of doses of lorazepam with a range of doses of methyprylon, midazolam, flunitrazepam and several novel anxiolytics...
- Herb-Opioid InteractionsDanny Shen; Fiscal Year: 2003..and hepatic CYP3A4 through intravenous and oral administrations of a CYP3A-specific, in vivo catalytic probe -midazolam. The fentanyl arm of the study will 1) assess the effects of SJW on the brain uptake and efflux kinetics of ..
- Experimental Analysis of Novel Drugs of AbuseROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 2006..triazolam (Exp. 1); ketamine vs. midazolam (Exp. 2); and clonidine vs. alprazolam (Exp. 3)...
- NEOPAIN MULTICENTER TRIAL: DATA COORDINATING CENTERBruce Barton; Fiscal Year: 2001..5 percent of neonates during NICU care or invasive procedures. A pilot randomized trial of morphine, midazolam, or placebo therapy in 69 preterm neonates showed reduced behavioral responses to pain and evidence of decreased ..
- ALCOHOL-INDUCED HEPATIC P450s IN HCV/HIV OXIDATE INJURYSTEVEN SHEDLOFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2003..P450 activities will be determined using the drug probes chlorzoxazone for CYP2EI and midazolam for CYP3A4. Theophylline will be used for CYP1A2...
- Mentored Patient-Oriented Research Career Development AwKelly Young; Fiscal Year: 2004..of the long-term effects of painful experiences; and 4) to test a pharmacological (intramuscular ketamine and midazolam) and a behavioral (blowing on a party blower) intervention for reducing the pain and stress response...
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2010..strategies: central 12 adrenergic sedative-analgesic (dexmedetomidine) versus a conventional sedation strategy (midazolam and fentanyl) in a randomized, double blind, cross-over study...
- Sleep Intervention During Acute Lung InjurySairam Parthasarathy; Fiscal Year: 2009..strategies: central 12 adrenergic sedative-analgesic (dexmedetomidine) versus a conventional sedation strategy (midazolam and fentanyl) in a randomized, double blind, cross-over study...
- Human Clinical Pharmacology of Emerging Drugs of Abuse (Club Drugs)ROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 2007..by evaluating a range of intramuscularly administered doses of ketamine relative to intramuscularly administered midazolam as the comparison standard...
- Human Clinical Pharmacology of Emerging Drugs of Abuse (Club Drugs)Roland R Griffiths; Fiscal Year: 2010..by evaluating a range of intramuscularly administered doses of ketamine relative to intramuscularly administered midazolam as the comparison standard...
- Effect of Cirrhosis and Shunts on Drug DispositionJ Gorski; Fiscal Year: 2005..in hepatic clearance, cirrhotic patients with TIPS experience an increase in intestinal availability of midazolam, a selective cytochrome P450 3A (CYP3A) substrate...