Genomes and Genes
Summary: A benzodiazepine with anticonvulsant, anxiolytic, sedative, muscle relaxant, and amnesic properties and a long duration of action. Its actions are mediated by enhancement of GAMMA-AMINOBUTYRIC ACID activity. It is used in the treatment of severe anxiety disorders, as a hypnotic in the short-term management of insomnia, as a sedative and premedicant, as an anticonvulsant, and in the management of alcohol withdrawal syndrome. (From Martindale, The Extra Pharmacopoeia, 30th ed, p589)
Publications315 found, 100 shown here
- A detailed ethological analysis of the mouse open field test: effects of diazepam, chlordiazepoxide and an extremely low frequency pulsed magnetic fieldE Choleris
Room 9222D, Department of Psychology, Social Science Center, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 25:235-60. 2001..Here we present a detailed ethological assessment of the effects of acute treatment with the benzodiazepines, diazepam (DZ, 1.5mg/kg) and chlordiazepoxide (CDP, 5.0 and 10...
- Dissociated effects of diazepam and lorazepam on short-latency afferent inhibitionVincenzo Di Lazzaro
Istituto di Neurologia, Universita Cattolica, L go A Gemelli 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
J Physiol 569:315-23. 2005..formation, but do not do so uniformly, with a maximum amnesic effect after lorazepam but less or no effect after diazepam, we were interested in testing in this non-behavioural study to what extent the effects of lorazepam and diazepam ..
- A case with atypical childhood occipital epilepsy "Gastaut type": an ictal migraine manifestation with a good response to intravenous diazepamPasquale Parisi
Child Neurology and Pediatric Sleep Centre, Chair of Pediatrics La Sapienza University, II Faculty of Medicine Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035 1039, Rome, Italy
Epilepsia 48:2181-6. 2007..Seven minutes after intravenous administration of 10 mg diazepam under continuous EEG recording, a suppression of the epileptiform discharges over the right occipital was seen, ..
- Unraveling the metabolic transformation of tetrazepam to diazepam with mass spectrometric methodsBirthe Schubert
Institute of Legal Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Muellerstrasse 44, 6020, Innsbruck, Austria
Anal Bioanal Chem 392:1299-308. 2008..Possible metabolic routes from tetrazepam to diazepam (C(16)H(13)ClN(2)O, average mass: 284...
- Variations in illumination, closed wall transparency and/or extramaze space influence both baseline anxiety and response to diazepam in the rat elevated plus-mazeNicolas Violle
URAFPA, INRA UC340, Nancy Universite, Vandoeuvre les Nancy, France
Behav Brain Res 203:35-42. 2009..and (2) to investigate the effects of such parameters on the relevance of the maze for detecting the effects of diazepam orally administrated at the anxiolytic dose of 3 mg/kg...
- Targeted deletion of the GABRA2 gene encoding alpha2-subunits of GABA(A) receptors facilitates performance of a conditioned emotional response, and abolishes anxiolytic effects of benzodiazepines and barbituratesC I Dixon
Department of Psychology University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QG, UK
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 90:1-8. 2008Mice with point-mutated alpha2 GABA(A) receptor subunits (rendering them diazepam insensitive) are resistant to the anxiolytic-like effects of benzodiazepines (BZs) in the conditioned emotional response (CER) test, but show normal ..
- Intranasal midazolam vs rectal diazepam for the home treatment of acute seizures in pediatric patients with epilepsyMaija Holsti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Utah, 295 Chipeta Way, Salt Lake City, UT 84108, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 164:747-53. 2010To compare intranasal midazolam, using a Mucosal Atomization Device (IN-MMAD), with rectal diazepam (RD) for the home treatment of seizures in children with epilepsy.
- Efficacy of buccal midazolam compared to intravenous diazepam in controlling convulsions in children: a randomized controlled trialBibek Talukdar
Department of Pediatrics, Maulana Azad Medical College and Asssociated Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya CNBC, Delhi 110031, India
Brain Dev 31:744-9. 2009..examine the efficacy of buccal midazolam in controlling convulsion in children by comparing it with intravenous diazepam, a standard mode of treating convulsions...
- Interaction between cannabinoid compounds and diazepam on anxiety-like behaviour of miceNima Naderi
Neuroscience Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University Medical Sciences, PO Box 19615 1178, Tehran, Iran
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 89:64-75. 2008..25-5 mg/kg), the endocannabinoid transport inhibitor AM404 (0.25-2 mg/kg) and diazepam (0...
- Co-treatment with diazepam prevents the effects of fluoxetine on the proliferation and survival of hippocampal dentate granule cellsXuefei Wu
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Biol Psychiatry 66:5-8. 2009..Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors increase proliferation of neuronal progenitors in rodent hippocampus after a delay of approximately 2 weeks...
- Development of a humanized in vitro blood-brain barrier model to screen for brain penetration of antiepileptic drugsLuca Cucullo
Center for Cerebrovascular Research, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Epilepsia 48:505-16. 2007....
- The effect of the mGlu5 receptor antagonist MPEP in rodent tests of anxiety and cognition: a comparisonTheresa M Ballard
PRBD N, Neuroscience Research, F Hoffmann La Roche Ltd, 4070 Basel, Switzerland
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 179:218-29. 2005..However, there is evidence that mGlu5 receptor antagonists may also impair working memory and spatial learning following intracerebroventricular administration...
- Midazolam versus diazepam for the treatment of status epilepticus in children and young adults: a meta-analysisJason McMullan
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, USA
Acad Emerg Med 17:575-82. 2010Rapid treatment of status epilepticus (SE) is associated with better outcomes. Diazepam and midazolam are commonly used, but the optimal agent and administration route is unclear.
- Comparison of the interaction potential of a new proton pump inhibitor, E3810, versus omeprazole with diazepam in extensive and poor metabolizers of S-mephenytoin 4'-hydroxylationT Ishizaki
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, International Medical Center of Japan, Tokyo
Clin Pharmacol Ther 58:155-64. 1995..interaction potential of E3810, [(+/-)-sodium 2-[[4-(3-methoxpropoxy)-3-methylpyridin-2-yl]methylsulfinyl] -1H-benzimidazole] a new proton pump inhibitor, and omeprazole with diazepam in relation to S-mephenytoin 4'-hydroxylation status.
- Intranasal midazolam vs rectal diazepam in acute childhood seizuresMadhumita Bhattacharyya
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, India
Pediatr Neurol 34:355-9. 2006One hundred eighty-eight seizure episodes in 46 children were randomly assigned to receive treatment with rectal diazepam and intranasal midazolam with doses of 0.3 mg/kg body weight and 0.2 mg/kg body weight, respectively...
- A comparison of midazolam nasal spray and diazepam rectal solution for the residential treatment of seizure exacerbationsGerrit Jan de Haan
SEIN Epilepsy Institute in The Netherlands Foundation Heemstede, The Netherlands
Epilepsia 51:478-82. 2010Rectal diazepam is established as a standard rescue or emergency treatment for seizure or status epilepticus; however, the rectal route of administration has not been universally accepted...
- Effects of Ginkgo biloba extracts on diazepam metabolism: a pharmacokinetic study in healthy Chinese male subjectsXiao Cong Zuo
Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacology Research Institute, Third Xiangya Hospital, Central South University, Changsha, 410013, China
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 66:503-9. 2010It has been reported that Ginkgo biloba extract (GBE) is an inducer or inhibitor of microsomal cytochrome P450 (CYP) 2C19, and diazepam is a substrate of CYP2C19. Thus, it could be expected that GBE may alter the metabolism of diazepam.
- The effect of diazepam on motor cortical oscillations and corticomuscular coherence studied in manMark R Baker
Department of Anatomy, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3DY, UK
J Physiol 546:931-42. 2003..The benzodiazepine diazepam enhances the size of GABA(A) IPSPs; its effects are reversed by the antagonist flumazenil...
- Anxiolytic-like effects of human amniotic fluid and its fatty acids in Wistar ratsCarlos M Contreras
Unidad Periférica Xalapa, Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico, Xalapa, Veracruz, Mexico
Behav Pharmacol 22:655-62. 2011..We then used the defensive burying and elevated plus maze tests to compare the action of diazepam (2 mg/kg), fresh amniotic fluid, and a mixture of its fatty acids with two vehicles (i.e...
- [Effect of diazepam on the effectiveness of antidote therapy in eliminating the acute lethal effects of soman in mice]J Kassa
Vojenská lékarská akademie JEP, Hradec Kralove
Cas Lek Cesk 140:497-9. 2001..an anticholinergic drug and an acetylcholinesterase reactivator, is often completed with the anticonvulsive drug diazepam to prevent poisoned organisms from centrally mediated seizures and subsequent tonic-clonic convulsions...
- Diazepam-bound GABAA receptor models identify new benzodiazepine binding-site ligandsLars Richter
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Nat Chem Biol 8:455-64. 2012..By using multiple homology models and an unbiased docking protocol, we identified a binding hypothesis for the diazepam-bound structure of the benzodiazepine site, which was confirmed by experimental evidence...
- Methamphetamine and diazepam suppress antigen-specific cytokine expression and antibody production in ovalbumin-sensitized BALB/c miceShiaw Pyng Wey
Department of Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, Chang Gung University, Taoyuan, Taiwan, ROC
Toxicol Lett 181:157-62. 2008..The present study investigated the effect of diazepam, a central depressant, on methamphetamine-induced immunosuppression...
- Comparison of intranasal midazolam with intravenous diazepam for treating acute seizures in childrenT Mahmoudian
Department of Child Neurology, Medical University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Epilepsy Behav 5:253-5. 2004..The aim of this study was to determine whether intranasal midazolam is as safe and effective as intravenous diazepam in the treatment of acute childhood seizures...
- Differential effects of MPEP and diazepam in tests of conditioned emotional response and Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer suggests 'anxiolytic' effects are mediated by different mechanismsS A George
Department of Psychology, School of Life Sciences, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 204:499-509. 2009..The standard test of the ability of Pavlovian cues to motivate responding is the Pavlovian-to-instrumental transfer (PIT) paradigm and it has recently been suggested that CER may be 'negative PIT'...
- Buspirone, chlordiazepoxide and diazepam effects in a zebrafish model of anxietyZachary Bencan
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, 340 Bell Building, Box 3412, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 94:75-80. 2009..three anxiolytic drugs from two different chemical and pharmacological classes: buspirone, chlordiazepoxide and diazepam. When the test tank was novel the diving response was clearly seen whereas it was significantly reduced when the ..
- Genuine antihyperalgesia by systemic diazepam revealed by experiments in GABAA receptor point-mutated miceJulia Knabl
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Pain 141:233-8. 2009..engineered mice, which carry specific benzodiazepine-insensitive GABA(A) receptor subunits, to test whether diazepam, a frequently used classical benzodiazepine, exerts antihyperalgesia after systemic administration in the ..
- Relative positioning of diazepam in the benzodiazepine-binding-pocket of GABA receptorsKelly R Tan
Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, University of Bern, Bühlstrasse, Switzerland
J Neurochem 111:1264-73. 2009..We describe here such proximity-accelerated chemical coupling reactions of alpha(1)S205C and alpha(1)T206C with a diazepam derivative modified at the C-3 position with a reactive isothiocyanate group (-NCS)...
- Risk of fractures requiring hospitalization after an initial prescription for zolpidem, alprazolam, lorazepam, or diazepam in older adultsWilliam D Finkle
Consolidated Research, Inc, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1883-90. 2011..To determine whether zolpidem is a safer alternative to benzodiazepines...
- 5-HT1A receptor blockade reverses GABA(A) receptor alpha3 subunit-mediated anxiolytic effects on stress-induced hyperthermiaChristiaan H Vinkers
Division of Pharmacology, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Utrecht University, Sorbonnelaan 16, 3584CA, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 211:123-30. 2010..As there is evidence that the GABA(A) and the serotonin receptor system interact, a serotonergic component in the anxiolytic actions of benzodiazepines could be present...
- Acute and chronic effects of the synthetic neuroactive steroid, ganaxolone, against the convulsive and lethal effects of pentylenetetrazol in seizure-kindled mice: comparison with diazepam and valproateM Gasior
Drug Development Group, Behavioral Neuroscience Research Branch, Addiction Research Center, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Neuropharmacology 39:1184-96. 2000..Two classical antiepileptic drugs, diazepam and valproate, were tested for comparison...
- Efficacy of immediate and subsequent therapies against soman-induced seizures and lethality in ratsTrond Myhrer
Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, Protection Division, P O Box 25, NO 2027 Kjeller, Norway
Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 98:184-91. 2006..3 or 4 x LD(50) of soman could not be terminated unless an adjunct therapy consisting of procyclidine (6 mg/kg), diazepam (10 mg/kg), and pentobarbital (30 kg/kg) was given, and the mortality rate was comparatively high (78%)...
- Ethanol effects on impulsivity in two mouse strains: similarities to diazepam and ketamineYolanda Peña Oliver
Department of Psychology, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9QG, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 204:679-92. 2009..The effects of ethanol on attention and impulsivity have been contradictory...
- Intravenous anesthetic diazepam does not induce amyloid-beta peptide oligomerization but diazepam co-administered with halothane oligomerizes amyloid-beta peptide: an NMR studyPravat K Mandal
Neurospectroscopy and Neuroimaging Laboratory, National Brain Research Center, Manesar, Gurgaon, India
J Alzheimers Dis 20:127-34. 2010..nuclear magnetic resonance, we have monitored the influence of a larger sized intravenous anesthetic, diazepam, as well as diazepam co-administered with halothane, on Abeta...
- Diazepam-loaded solid lipid nanoparticles: design and characterizationGhada Abdelbary
Department of Pharmaceutics and Industrial Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Cairo University, Kasr El Aini Street, Cairo, Egypt
AAPS PharmSciTech 10:211-9. 2009The aim of the present study was to investigate the feasibility of the inclusion of a water-insoluble drug (diazepam, DZ) into solid lipid nanoparticles (SLNs), which offer combined advantages of rapid onset and prolonged release of the ..
- Diazepam-induced changes in sleep: role of the alpha 1 GABA(A) receptor subtypeI Tobler
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:6464-9. 2001..BZs such as diazepam (Dz) potentiate GABA(A) receptor activation...
- Short-term effects of intravenous benzodiazepines on autonomic neurocardiac regulation in humans: a comparison between midazolam, diazepam, and lorazepamMarcus W Agelink
Department of Neurocardiology, Institute of Biological Psychiatry and Neuroscience, Evangelical Clinics Gelsenkirchen, Ruhr University of Bochum, Germany
Crit Care Med 30:997-1006. 2002To evaluate the effects of intravenously applied diazepam, lorazepam, and midazolam on autonomic neurocardiac regulation assessed by standardized measurements of heart rate variability.
- Effects of benzodiazepines receptor agonists on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axisJens D Mikkelsen
Department of Functional Neuroanatomy and Biomarkers, Neurosearch A S, Pederstrupvej 93, 2750 Ballerup, Denmark
Eur J Pharmacol 519:223-30. 2005..More surprisingly, the non-selective full agonists diazepam and zopiclone induced a lower increase in circulating corticosterone than after zolpidem...
- Mouse strain differences in autonomic responses to stressM J V van Bogaert
Department of Psychopharmacology, Utrecht Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Behavioural Genomics Section, Rudolf Magnus Institute of Neuroscience, The Netherlands
Genes Brain Behav 5:139-49. 2006..Finally, sensitivity to the anxiolytic diazepam (0, 1, 2, 4 and 8 mg/kg) was tested using the stress-induced hyperthermia paradigm...
- Diazepam-induced adaptive plasticity revealed by alpha1 GABAA receptor-specific expression profilingLaura Huopaniemi
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurochem 88:1059-67. 2004..Changes of transcript levels in cerebral cortex induced by acute diazepam administration were therefore compared by microarray analysis between wild-type and point mutated alpha1(H101R) ..
- Anticonvulsant effects of thymoquinone, the major constituent of Nigella sativa seeds, in miceH Hosseinzadeh
Pharmaceutical Research Center, Department of Pharmacodynamy and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, IR Iran
Phytomedicine 11:56-64. 2004..These results indicate that thymoquinone may have anticonvulsant activity in the petit mal epilepsy probably through an opioid receptor-mediated increase in GABAergic tone...
- Effect of the gene dosage of CgammaP2C19 on diazepam metabolism in Chinese subjectsX P Qin
Pharmacogenetics Research Institute, Hunan Medical University, China
Clin Pharmacol Ther 66:642-6. 1999To determine whether the gene dosage of CYP2C19 affects the metabolism of diazepam and desmethyldiazepam in healthy Chinese subjects.
- Diazepam reduces both arterial blood pressure and muscle sympathetic nerve activity in humanTsuyoshi Kitajima
Department of Psychiatry, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, 1 98 Dengakugakubo, Kutsukake cho, Toyoake City, Aichi 470 1192, Japan
Neurosci Lett 355:77-80. 2004..To clarify whether this effect is due to central or peripheral mechanism, we administered 5 mg of diazepam or saline intravenously to healthy volunteers and assessed the change in blood pressure, heart rate, muscle ..
- The effects of pentobarbital, fentanyl-droperidol, ketamine-xylazine and ketamine-diazepam on arterial blood pH, blood gases, mean arterial blood pressure and heart rate in adult male ratsS K Wixson
Department of Comparative Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University, Hershey 17033
Lab Anim Sci 37:736-42. 1987..four different injectable drugs, pentobarbital, fentanyl-droperidol (Innovar-Vet), ketamine-xylazine and ketamine-diazepam on the respiratory and cardiovascular systems of rats...
- A comparison between Dark Agouti and Sprague-Dawley rats in their behaviour on the elevated plus-maze, open-field apparatus and activity meters, and their response to diazepamAnnis O Mechan
Department of Pharmacology, School of Pharmacy, De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester LE1 9BH, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 159:188-95. 2002..We wished to confirm and extend this initial finding...
- Diazepam inhibits the induction and maintenance of LTP of C-fiber evoked field potentials in spinal dorsal horn of ratsXiao Dong Hu
Department of Physiology, Zhongshan Medical School of Sun Yat Sen University, 74 Zhongshan Rd 2, Guangzhou 510089, PR China
Neuropharmacology 50:238-44. 2006The benzodiazepine diazepam impairs memory and long-term potentiation (LTP) in the hippocampus...
- Differential effects of two chronic diazepam treatment regimes on withdrawal anxiety and AMPA receptor characteristicsClaire Allison
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Strathclyde Institute for Biomedical Sciences, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:602-19. 2006..We have employed two diazepam treatment regimes known to produce differing effects on withdrawal aversion in the rat and examined whether ..
- The octadecaneuropeptide [diazepam-binding inhibitor (33-50)] exerts potent anorexigenic effects in rodentsJ G de Mateos-Verchere
, , France
Eur J Pharmacol 414:225-31. 2001..At a dose of 100 ng, ODN almost completely suppressed food intake. Treatment of rats with diazepam (2 mg/kg s.c.; 15 min before ODN administration) did not affect the anorexigenic response evoked by 100 ng ODN...
- Diazepam-induced changes on sleep and the EEG spectrum in mice: role of the alpha3-GABA(A) receptor subtypeC Kopp
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstr 190, CH 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Eur J Neurosci 17:2226-30. 2003..We investigated the role of these receptors in the mediation of diazepam effects on the sleep EEG by studying point-mutated mice in which the alpha3-GABAA receptor is diazepam-..
- Requirement of alpha5-GABAA receptors for the development of tolerance to the sedative action of diazepam in miceCarolien van Rijnsoever
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
J Neurosci 24:6785-90. 2004..The acute sedative action of diazepam is mediated via alpha1-GABA(A) receptors...
- Modulation of rhythmic brain activity by diazepam: GABA(A) receptor subtype and state specificityC Kopp
Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Zurich, Winterthurerstrasse 190, 8057 Zurich, Switzerland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:3674-9. 2004..The effects of diazepam on the electroencephalogram were compared between alpha(2)(H101R) knock-in mice in which the alpha(2)GABA(A) ..
- Phase II study of lonidamine and diazepam in the treatment of recurrent glioblastoma multiformeStephane Oudard
Department of Oncology, Hopital Europeen Georges Pompidou, Paris, France
J Neurooncol 63:81-6. 2003..We report an open-label, uncontrolled, multicentre phase II trial of lonidamine (LND) and diazepam in 16 patients with GBM at first relapse and a Karnofsky performance status > or = 70...
- Effects of HI 6, diazepam and atropine on soman-induced IL-1 beta protein in rat brainI Svensson
Swedish Defence Research Agency, Division of NBC Defence, SE 901 82 Umea, Sweden
Neurotoxicology 26:173-81. 2005..HI 6 and atropine; the effects of different combinations of HI 6 and atropine; and also the effects of antidotes diazepam and atropine following soman-intoxication...
- Extrasynaptic GABA(A) channels activated by THIP are modulated by diazepam in CA1 pyramidal neurons in the rat brain hippocampal sliceCatarina E L Lindquist
Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Department of Physiological Sciences, Lund University, Tornavagen 10 BMC F11, 22184 Lund, Sweden
Mol Cell Neurosci 24:250-7. 2003..THIP activated GABA(A) channels after a delay that was concentration-dependent and decreased by 1 microM diazepam. The currents showed outward rectification...
- The role of diazepam in the treatment of nerve agent poisoning in a civilian populationTimothy C Marrs
Food Standards Agency, London and National Poisons Information Service, Birmingham Centre, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Toxicol Rev 23:145-57. 2004The main site of action of diazepam, as with other benzodiazepines, is at the GABA(A) receptor, although it has been suggested that some of the potentially beneficial actions of diazepam in nerve agent poisoning are mediated through other ..
- Effects of the aqueous extract from Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge on the pharmacokinetics of diazepam and on liver microsomal cytochrome P450 enzyme activity in ratsQiao Jinping
Institute of Materia Medica, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100050, China
J Pharm Pharmacol 55:1163-7. 2003..the effects of the aqueous extract of Salvia miltiorrhiza Bge (danshen in Chinese) on the pharmacokinetics of diazepam and on liver microsomal cytochrome P450 enzyme activity in rats...
- Two compartment model of diazepam biotransformation in an organotypical culture of primary human hepatocytesAli Acikgöz
Center for Biotechnology and Biomedicine, Cell Techniques and Applied Stem Cell Biology, Universitat Leipzig, Deutscher Platz 5, D 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 234:179-91. 2009..limitation, we used an organotypical model of human primary hepatocytes for the biotransformation of the drug diazepam with special reference to metabolites in both the cell matrix phase and supernatant and its interaction of three ..
- Buccal midazolam or rectal diazepam for treatment of residential adult patients with serial seizures or status epilepticusK O Nakken
National Centre for Epilepsy, Oslo University Hospital, Norway
Acta Neurol Scand 124:99-103. 2011To compare the efficacy and tolerability of buccal midazolam with rectal diazepam as emergency treatment in residential adults with convulsive or non-convulsive serial seizures or status epilepticus (SE), and ascertain the preference ..
- GABA homeostasis contributes to the developmental programming of anxiety-related behaviorAmaicha Mara Depino
European Molecular Biology Laboratory EMBL, Mouse Biology Unit, Via Ramarini 32, 00016 Monterotondo, Italy
Brain Res 1210:189-99. 2008..during the major period of forebrain synaptogenesis (P14-28) with the GABA-A receptor positive modulator diazepam and assessed anxiety-related behavior in adulthood...
- Diazepam-induced disruption of classically-conditioned fear-potentiation of late-latency auditory evoked potentials is prevented by flumazenil given before, but not after, CS/US pairingJ C Scaife
Psychopharmacology Section, Division of Psychiatry, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
J Psychopharmacol 21:93-101. 2007..Recently we reported that the N1/P2 auditory evoked potential was enhanced by fear conditioning in humans. Diazepam 10 mg, given before CS/US pairing, prevented subsequent expression of fear potentiation when the response was ..
- Development of an ethyl laurate-based microemulsion for rapid-onset intranasal delivery of diazepamLianli Li
Drug Delivery Systems Research Laboratory, College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, St John s University, Jamaica, NY 11439, USA
Int J Pharm 237:77-85. 2002..with Tween 80 as surfactant, propylene glycol and ethanol as cosolvents was developed for intranasal delivery of diazepam. Phase behavior and solubilization capacity of the microemulsion system were characterized and in vivo nasal ..
- Effects of sildenafil treatment on the development of tolerance to diazepam-induced motor impairment and sedation in miceSylwia Talarek
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics, Medical University of Lublin, Staszica 4, PL 20 081 Lublin, Poland
Pharmacol Rep 62:627-34. 2010..the effects of sildenafil, a selective inhibitor of PDE5, on the development and the expression of tolerance to diazepam (DZ)-induced motor impairment and sedation in mice...
- alpha-Amino-3-hydroxy-5-methylisoxazole-4-propionate receptor autoradiography in mouse brain after single and repeated withdrawal from diazepamC Allison
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology, University of Strathclyde, 27 Taylor Street, Glasgow G4 ONR, UK
Eur J Neurosci 21:1045-56. 2005..Mice were given 21 days treatment with diazepam (15 mg/kg, s.c...
- Modulation of bistratified cell IPSPs and basket cell IPSPs by pentobarbitone sodium, diazepam and Zn2+: dual recordings in slices of adult rat hippocampusH Pawelzik
Department of Physiology, Royal Free and University College Medical School London, UK
Eur J Neurosci 11:3552-64. 1999..of single-axon inhibitory postsynaptic potentials (IPSPs) by the GABAA receptor modulators pentobarbitone, diazepam and zinc...
- Comparison of intravenous ethanol versus diazepam for alcohol withdrawal prophylaxis in the trauma ICU: results of a randomized trialJordan A Weinberg
Section of Trauma, Burns, and Surgical Critical Care, Department of Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama, USA
J Trauma 64:99-104. 2008..The purpose of this study was to prospectively evaluate the efficacy of intravenous ethanol compared with benzodiazepines for the prevention of AWS with particular emphasis on the sedative effects of each therapy...
- Midazolam and diazepam for pediatric seizures in the prehospital settingCraig R Warden
Department of Emergency Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Prehosp Emerg Care 10:463-7. 2006The objective of this study was to compare the efficacy and adverse events associated with the use of diazepam and midazolam for the treatment of pediatric seizures in the prehospital setting.
- Cocaine-induced anxiety: alleviation by diazepam, but not buspirone, dimenhydrinate or diphenhydramineT A Paine
Department of Psychology, Queen s University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Behav Pharmacol 13:511-23. 2002..Prior to testing, animals received a benzodiazepine (1.0 or 2.0 mg/kg diazepam), a serotonergic agonist (0.5 or 1...
- Acute anxiogenic-like effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are attenuated by the benzodiazepine diazepam in BALB/c miceMelissa A Birkett
Neuroscience and Behavior Program, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst, MA, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 98:544-51. 2011..0-30.0mg/kg, i.p.) or citalopram (3.0-30.0mg/kg, i.p.) alone or in combination with diazepam (0.3-10.0mg/kg, i.p...
- Diazepam effects on Ehrlich tumor growth and macrophage activity in miceM Sakai
Applied Pharmacology and Toxicology Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Life Sci 78:1777-83. 2006..The present experiment was designed to analyze the effects of diazepam on Ehrlich tumor growth, and on macrophage activity of Ehrlich tumor bearing mice...
- Effects of diazepam on gene expression and link to physiological effects in different life stages in zebrafish Danio rerioDaniela M Oggier
School of Life Sciences, University of Applied Sciences Northwestern Switzerland, Gründenstrasse 40, CH 4132 Muttenz, Switzerland
Environ Sci Technol 44:7685-91. 2010We applied zebrafish whole genome microarrays to identify molecular effects of diazepam, a neuropharmaceutical encountered in wastewater-contaminated environments, and to elucidate its neurotoxic mode of action...
- Direct effects of diazepam on emotional processing in healthy volunteersS E Murphy
University Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Warneford Lane, Oxford, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 199:503-13. 2008..However, the effects of the anxiolytic diazepam have typically been examined at sedative doses, which do not allow the direct actions on emotional processing to ..
- Beneficial effects of benzodiazepine diazepam on chronic stress-induced impairment of hippocampal structural plasticity and depression-like behavior in miceYunan Zhao
Key Laboratory of Brain Research, Basic Medical College, Nanjing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Nanjing, China
Behav Brain Res 228:339-50. 2012..In Experiment 2, mice received p.o. administration of three diazepam dosages prior to each variate stress session for 4 wk...
- Putative diazepam binding inhibitor peptide: cDNA clones from ratI Mocchetti
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 83:7221-5. 1986cDNA clones corresponding to the polypeptide that has been shown to be an endogenous diazepam binding inhibitor and may act as a physiological ligand for the benzodiazepine/beta-carboline receptor have been isolated from bacteriophage ..
- Anticonvulsant and behavioral effects of neuroactive steroids alone and in conjunction with diazepamM Gasior
Preclinical Pharmacology Laboratory, Addiction Research Center, National Institute on Drug Abuse, National Institutes of Health, Baltimore, Maryland 21224, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 282:543-53. 1997..Consistent with their GABAergic actions, the neuroactive steroids as well as diazepam and phenobarbital dose-dependently protected against clonic convulsions induced by pentylenetetrazol; the N-..
- Cyclodextrin-based potentiometric sensors for midazolam and diazepamC G Amorim
REQUIMTE, Servico de Quimica Fisica, Fac Farmácia U P, Rua Anibal Cunha 164, 4099 030 Porto, Portugal
J Pharm Biomed Anal 48:1064-9. 2008..The solid-contact electrodes for midazolam and diazepam are based on polymeric membranes incorporating respectively beta-cyclodextrin and (2-hydroxiproyl)-gamma-..
- Sigmoidal kinetic model for two co-operative substrate-binding sites in a cytochrome P450 3A4 active site: an example of the metabolism of diazepam and its derivativesM Shou
Department of Drug Metabolism, Merck Research Laboratories, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Biochem J 340:845-53. 1999..In the present study, diazepam, temazepam and nordiazepam were employed as substrates of CYP3A4 to propose a kinetic model...
- Cortisol response to diazepam: its relationship to age, dose, duration of treatment, and presence of generalized anxiety disorderNunzio Pomara
Nathan Kline Institute for Psychiatric Research, 140 Old Orangeburg Road, Building 35, Orangeburg, NY 10962, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 178:1-8. 2005Acute diazepam administration has been shown to decrease plasma cortisol levels consistent with decreased activity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, especially in individuals experiencing stress...
- Contrasting effects of diazepam and repeated restraint stress on latent inhibition in miceRaymond Mongeau
Neuroscienze PharmaNess S c a r l, Scientific and Technological Park of Sardinia, ma c o Sardegna Ricerche, Ed 5, Loc Piscinamanna, 09010 PULA CA, Italy
Behav Brain Res 183:147-55. 2007..when a CS has been pre-exposed without consequences) of repeated restraint stress and the anxiolytic drug diazepam were examined in C57BL/6 mice to know whether previous aversive events or anxiolysis are factors determining the ..
- Progressive encephalopathy with cerebral oedema and infarctions associated with valproate and diazepam overdoseJ Rupasinghe
Neurology Department, Frankston Hospital, PO Box 52, Frankston, Victoria 3199, Australia
J Clin Neurosci 18:710-1. 2011..effects of cerebral odema and infarctions associated with Valproate overdose which would have been aggravated by Diazepam. This patient's presentation emphasizes the role of early detection and therapy of cerebral odema in Valproate ..
- Allosteric uncoupling and up-regulation of benzodiazepine and GABA recognition sites following chronic diazepam treatment of HEK 293 cells stably transfected with alpha1beta2gamma2S subunits of GABA (A) receptorsDanka Pericić
Division of Molecular Medicine, Ruder Boskovic Institute, Laboratory for Molecular Neuropharmacology, P O Box 180, 10002 Zagreb, Croatia
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 375:177-87. 2007..expressing recombinant alpha1beta2gamma2s GABA(A) receptors were exposed for 72 h to a high concentration of diazepam (50 microM) in the absence or presence of other drugs...
- Antiglutamatergic strategies for ethanol detoxification: comparison with placebo and diazepamEvgeny M Krupitsky
St Petersburg Regional Center of Addictions and Psychopharmacology, Pavlov State Medical University, St Petersburg, Russia
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 31:604-11. 2007..study compared 3 antiglutamatergic strategies for ethanol detoxification with placebo and to the benzodiazepine, diazepam: the glutamate release inhibitor, lamotrigine; the N-methyl-D-aspartate glutamate receptor antagonist, memantine; ..
- Diazepam-induced neuronal plasticity attenuates locomotor responses to morphine and amphetamine challenges in miceA E Panhelainen
Institute of Biomedicine, Pharmacology, Biomedicum Helsinki, POB 63 Haartmaninkatu 8, FI 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Neuroscience 192:312-21. 2011..We now wanted to test if the plasticity induced by diazepam would also affect behaviors elicited by other drugs of abuse...
- Transcriptional analysis of rat piriform cortex following exposure to the organophosphonate anticholinesterase sarin and induction of seizuresKimberly D Spradling
Cell and Molecular Biology Branch, US Army Medical Research Institute of Chemical Defense USAMRICD, 3100 Ricketts Point Road, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010 5400, USA
J Neuroinflammation 8:83. 2011..Therefore, there is a need to discover drug treatments that are effective when administered after the onset of seizures and secondary responses that lead to brain injury...
- Diazepam as a treatment for metronidazole toxicosis in dogs: a retrospective study of 21 casesJason Evans
Veterinary Neurological Center, Las Vegas, NV 89108, USA
J Vet Intern Med 17:304-10. 2003..The records of 21 dogs with metronidazole toxicosis were retrospectively analyzed to determine whether diazepam improved recovery...
- The effects of acute treatment with tandospirone, diazepam, and placebo on driving performance and cognitive function in healthy volunteersMasahiro Takahashi
Department of Psychiatry, Graduate School of Medicine, Nagoya University, Nagoya, Aichi, Japan
Hum Psychopharmacol 25:260-7. 2010To assess the effects of two anxiolytics, diazepam and tandospirone, on driving performance from methodological viewpoints taking frequent rear-end collisions into account.
- Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid and diazepam antagonize a rapid increase in GABA(A) receptors alpha(4) subunit mRNA abundance induced by ethanol withdrawal in cerebellar granule cellsPaolo Follesa
Department of Experimental Biology Bernardo Loddo, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
Mol Pharmacol 63:896-907. 2003..b>Diazepam (10 microM) or GHB (100 mM) prevented the increase in the amount of the alpha(4) subunit mRNA, the metabolic ..
- Comparison of the effects of diazepam, the CRF1 antagonist CP-154,526 and the group II mGlu receptor agonist LY379268 on stress-evoked extracellular norepinephrine levelsDaniel S Lorrain
Department of Pharmacology, Merck Research Laboratories, 3535 General Atomics Court, San Diego, CA 92121, USA
Neuropharmacology 48:927-35. 2005The present study used an elevated platform procedure to investigate the effects of diazepam, a CRF1 antagonist CP-154,526 and a group II mGlu2/3 receptor agonist LY379268 on stress-evoked increase in extracellular norepinephrine (NE)...
- Diazepam leads to enhanced severity of orthopoxvirus infection and immune suppressionHartwig P Huemer
Department of Hygiene, Microbiology and Social Medicine, Innsbruck Medical University, Fritz Pregl Str 3, R 301, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Vaccine 28:6152-8. 2010..We treated Balb/c mice with diazepam and infected them with cowpox (CPXV) and vaccinia virus (VACV)...
- Individual and combined effects of N6-cyclopentyladenosine, flunarizine and diazepam on aminophylline-induced recurrent generalized seizures in miceJuliet Jaishree
Department of Pharmacology, St John s Medical College, Bangalore 560 034, India
Pol J Pharmacol 55:559-64. 2003..CPA (2 mg/kg and 4 mg/kg) delayed the time to onset of clonic convulsions (p < 0.05). The standard drug diazepam (DZP, 2...
- Effects of different doses and schedules of diazepam treatment on lymphocyte parameters in ratsCamila Bento de Lima
Department of Clinical and Toxicological Analyses, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int Immunopharmacol 10:1335-43. 2010..The present study was designed to analyze the effects of diazepam on rat lymphocyte parameters, specifically on phenotype, cell proliferation and cell death...
- Increased cardiac risk in concomitant methadone and diazepam treatment: pharmacodynamic interactions in cardiac ion channelsYuri A Kuryshev
ChanTest Corporation, Cleveland, OH 44128, USA
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56:420-30. 2010..Concomitant use of diazepam or other benzodiazepines in methadone maintenance treatment can increase the risk of sudden death...
- Intravenous diazepam for dissociative disorder: memory lost and foundLaurie Ballew
University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY 40202, USA
Psychosomatics 44:346-7. 2003
- Modulation of passive avoidance in mice by the 5-HT1A receptor agonist flesinoxan: comparison with the benzodiazepine receptor agonist diazepamMinoru Tsuji
Department of Pharmacology, Intractable Diseases Research Center, Tokyo Medical University, Japan
Neuropsychopharmacology 28:664-74. 2003..agonist flesinoxan on passive avoidance in mice were compared with those of the benzodiazepine receptor agonist diazepam. In preliminary experiments, the retention latency to enter a dark compartment in mice subjected to single-..
- Targeted mutation of CCK2 receptor gene modifies the behavioural effects of diazepam in female miceSirli Raud
Department of Physiology, Biomedicum, University of Tartu, 19 Ravila Street, 50411 Tartu, Estonia
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 168:417-25. 2003..Evidence suggests that GABA and CCK have opposite roles in the regulation of anxiety...
- T-pattern analysis of diazepam-induced modifications on the temporal organization of rat behavioral response to anxiety in hole boardMaurizio Casarrubea
Department of Experimental Biomedicine and Clinical Neurosciences, Human Physiology Section, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 215:177-89. 2011....
- Analysis of homotropic and heterotropic cooperativity of diazepam oxidation by CYP3A4 using site-directed mutagenesis and kinetic modelingYou Ai He
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston 77555 1031, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 409:92-101. 2003The structural basis for the cooperativity of diazepam oxidation catalyzed by human cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4) and 40 mutants has been investigated...
- Diazepam decreases leukocyte-endothelium interactions in situR Lazzarini
Neuroimmunomodulation Research Group, Department of Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Science, Sao Paulo University, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 32:402-9. 2010High doses of diazepam reduce the inflammatory paw edema in rats. This effect was attributed to an action of diazepam on the Translocator Protein (TSPO)...
- The impact of diazepam's discovery on the treatment and understanding of status epilepticusHoward P Goodkin
Department of Neurology, University of Virginia Health Systems, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Epilepsia 50:2011-8. 2009..The GABAA receptors that mediate synaptic inhibition typically contain a gamma2 subunit and are diazepam-sensitive...
- Diazepam attenuates phenylephrine-induced contractions in rat aortaSoon Eun Park
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine, Ulsan University College of Medicine, Ulsan, Republic of Korea
Anesth Analg 102:682-9. 2006In this in vitro study we examined the effects of diazepam on a phenylephrine-induced contraction in rat aorta and determined the associated cellular mechanism focusing on the endothelium-derived vasodilators...
- Reproductive experience reduces the sedative, but not anxiolytic effects of diazepamElizabeth M Byrnes
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Tufts University, Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA 01536, USA
Psychoneuroendocrinology 31:988-96. 2006..of the present study was to determine whether reproductive experience alters sensitivity to the benzodiazepine, diazepam. Two groups of subjects were generated, a primparous group (pregnancy+21 days of lactation) and an age-matched, ..
- Use of phenytoin, phenobarbital, or diazepam during pregnancy and risk of congenital abnormalities: a case-time-control studyDorte Kjaer
The Danish Epidemiology Science Centre, Department of Epidemiology, Institute of Public Health, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:181-8. 2007..We studied congenital abnormalities following exposure to phenytoin, phenobarbital, and diazepam in early pregnancy, i.e., second and third month, compared to mid-pregnancy, i.e...
- Prenatal malnutrition alters diazepam-mediated suppression of ultrasonic vocalizations in an age dependent mannerJohn Tonkiss
Center for Behavioral Development and Mental Retardation, M923, Boston University School of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Behav Brain Res 182:337-43. 2007The sensitivity of prenatally malnourished rats to the ultrasonic vocalization (USV) suppressant effect of diazepam (a non-specific benzodiazepine (BZ) receptor agonist) was investigated...
- Next Generation Oxime Therapeutic for Chemical Agent Inhibited CNS (Brain) ChEsRichard Gordon; Fiscal Year: 2007..of a cholinesterase reactivator (oxime), a muscarinic receptor antagonist (atropine) and an anticonvulsant (diazepam)...
- NEUROSTEROIDS: PHYSIOLOGICAL RELEVANCEAlessandro Guidotti; Fiscal Year: 1999..Glial cells also contain a receptor on the outer layer of mitochondria called MDR [for mitochondrial diazepam binding inhibitor (DBI)] which favors the intramitochondrial transfer of cholesterol to the p450acc enzyme...
- Neuroactive Steroid Therapy of Catamenial EpilepsyDOODIPALA REDDY; Fiscal Year: 2007..To develop a drug therapy for catamenial seizure exacerbation, we will examine two drugs, diazepam and the "neuroactive steroid" ganaxolone, using a 2-day pulse-therapy protocol for two withdrawal cycles...
- GABAA RECEPTOR CHANNEL ALTERATION BY PROLONGED SEIZURESRobert MacDonald; Fiscal Year: 2003..to benzodiazepines, 2) time course of development of decreased sensitivity of granule cell GABAR currents to diazepam and zinc, 3) sensitivity of granule cell GABAR currents GABAR modulators following prolonged seizures, 4) ..
- LICIT AND ILLICIT ABUSED DRUGS/BEHAVIORAL INTERACTIONROLAND GRIFFITHS; Fiscal Year: 1993..previous research of the effects of commonly taken psychoactive drugs on smoking by characterizing the effects of diazepam and chlorpromazine on smoking in both normal and drug abuser subjects...
- The Involvement of the VMH in Maternal Behavior in RatsPHYLLIS MANN; Fiscal Year: 2007..Experiments 7 and 8 will determine if anxiolytic drugs, e.g., diazepam or flumazenil, will stimulate the onset of maternal behavior in primigravid and estrogen-treated primigravid rats...
- Internet as Supplier: Preventing Adolescent Use of Non-Medical Addictive RxAmelia Arria; Fiscal Year: 2009..This study will obtain information directly from adolescents about their use of the internet and other sources to obtain drugs. ..
- BEHAVIORAL PHARMACOLOGY OF PHENCYCLIDINERobert Balster; Fiscal Year: 1999..the effects of NMDA antagonists will be compared to those of site-selective GABA agonists such as pentobarbital, diazepam and muscimol...
- TREATMENT OF STATUS EPILEPTICUSJaideep Kapur; Fiscal Year: 2005..In experimental animals diazepam controlled brief seizures but failed after prolonged status epilepticus...
- The Involvement of the VMH in Maternal Behavior in RatsPhyllis E Mann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Experiments 7 and 8 will determine if anxiolytic drugs, e.g., diazepam or flumazenil, will stimulate the onset of maternal behavior in primigravid and estrogen-treated primigravid rats...
- Novel Mechanism of Ethanol DiscriminationJoyce Besheer; Fiscal Year: 2007..ethanol discrimination and in mGluRS and mGluR2/3 modulation of ethanol discrimination and ethanol substitutes (diazepam and MK-801)...
- Amygdalar neuropeptides and anxietyMARLENE WILSON; Fiscal Year: 2006..that overexpression of enkephalin in the amygdala enhances the anxiety-reducing influences of the benzodiazepine diazepam (Valium) in rats...