Summary: Broad spectrum anthelmintic for livestock.
- Experimental cyathostome challenge of ponies maintained with or without benefit of daily pyrantel tartrate feed additive: comparison of parasite burdens, immunity and colonic pathologyC M Monahan
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Lousiana State University, Baton Rouge 70803, USA
Vet Parasitol 74:229-41. 1998..Following OBZ treatment, Group 1 ponies were treated with pyrantel tartrate (PT) in their pelleted ration; the remaining ponies received only the pelleted ration...
- Pyrantel pamoate resistance in horses receiving daily administration of pyrantel tartrateEmily L Brazik
Carolina Coastal Equine Veterinary Service, 1286 Hwy 117 N, Burgaw, NC 28425, USA
J Am Vet Med Assoc 228:101-3. 200616 horses treated daily with pyrantel tartrate (2.64 mg/kg [1.2 mg/lb], PO) as part of a prophylactic anthelmintic program.
- Determination of the activity of pyrantel tartrate against Sarcocystis neurona in gamma-interferon gene knockout miceD S Lindsay
Center for Molecular Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Pathobiology, Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Virginia Tech, 1410 Prices Fork Road, Blacksburg, VA 24061 0342, USA
Vet Parasitol 97:141-4. 2001..Some horse owners and equine clinicians believe that horses which are on daily pyrantel tartrate at 2.64mg/kg for helminth prophylaxis are less likely to develop EPM...
- Liquid chromatographic determination of pyrantel tartrate in medicated formulationsJoyce A Konrardy
Pfizer Global Manufacturing, Quality Operations, One Pfizer Way, Lee s Summit, MO 64081, USA
J AOAC Int 86:882-7. 2003The validation of a novel liquid chromatographic (LC) method for the determination of pyrantel tartrate in feed is presented. The method provides a significant improvement over the efficiency and precision of AOAC Official Method 978.30...
- Effect of daily administration of pyrantel tartrate in preventing infection in horses experimentally challenged with Sarcocystis neuronaMary G Rossano
Population Medicine Center, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Am J Vet Res 66:846-52. 2005To determine whether daily administration of pyrantel tartrate can prevent infection in horses experimentally challenged with Sarcocystis neurona.
- Cyathostomes in horses in Canada resistant to pyrantel salts and effectively removed by moxidectinJ Owen D Slocombe
Department of Pathobiology, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ont, Canada
Vet Parasitol 140:181-4. 2006..Eleven of 15 yearlings, which had been on a daily feeding of grain with pyrantel tartrate for 66 d were found with strongyle eggs in feces...
- Parasite field study in central Kentucky on thoroughbred foals (born in 2004) treated with pyrantel tartrate daily and other parasiticides periodicallyE T Lyons
Department of Veterinary Science, University of Kentucky, Gluck Equine Research Center, Lexington, KY 40546 0099, USA
Parasitol Res 100:473-8. 2007Foals (79), born in 2004 on three thoroughbred horse farms (C, M, and S) in central Kentucky, were fed pyrantel tartrate daily, beginning at about 3 months of age...
- Cases of reduced cyathostomin egg-reappearance period and failure of Parascaris equorum egg count reduction following ivermectin treatment as well as survey on pyrantel efficacy on German horse farmsG von Samson-Himmelstjerna
Institute for Parasitology, University of Veterinary Medicine, Buenteweg 17, 30559 Hannover, Germany
Vet Parasitol 144:74-80. 2007..On one farm in 2 consecutive years, IVM treatment did not lead to a significant reduction in P. equorum faecal egg counts in one and five young horses, respectively...
- Progress on the development and single-laboratory validation of a high-performance liquid chromatographic method for the determination of carbadox and pyrantel tartrate in type B and C medicated feedsJane Z Sabbatini
Covance Laboratories, 3301 Kinsman Blvd, Madison, WI 53704, USA
J AOAC Int 92:26-33. 2009Carbadox, an antimicrobial agent, and pyrantel tartrate, an anthelmintic, are feed additives that are often used in combination in the United States...
- The effects of pyrantel tartrate on Sarcocystis neurona merozoite viabilityE A Kruttlin
Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, D201 Veterinary Medicine Center, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824, USA
Vet Ther 2:268-76. 2001..The present study was designed to test the hypothesis that pyrantel tartrate can kill S. neurona merozoites growing in equine dermal cell culture...
- Patent infections of Ascaris suum in pigs: effect of previous exposure to multiple, high doses of eggs and various treatment regimesM Stankiewicz
Wallaceville Animal Research Centre, Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries, Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Int J Parasitol 22:597-601. 1992..When prechallenge infections were removed by pyrantel tartrate treatment the animals were more susceptible to challenge than controls not previously exposed to infections...
- Foals raised on pasture with or without daily pyrantel tartrate feed additive: comparison of parasite burdens and host responses following experimental challenge with large and small strongyle larvaeC M Monahan
Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Veterinary Medicine, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge 70803, USA
Vet Parasitol 73:277-89. 1997..Mares and foals of Group 1 received daily pyrantel tartrate (PT) treatment with their pelleted feed ration, whereas mares and foals of Groups 2 and 3 received only the ..
- Controlled efficacy study of the bioequivalence of Strongid C and generic pyrantel tartrate in horsesR A Valdez
Department of Veterinary Pathobiology, University of Illinois, Urbana 61801, USA
Vet Parasitol 60:83-102. 1995The bioequivalence of Strongid C and generic pyrantel tartrate was determined in a controlled study using 30 horses with naturally acquired endoparasitic infections...
- A microlarval development assay for the detection of anthelmintic resistance in sheep nematodesJ Hubert
Station de Pathologie Aviaire et de Parasitologie, Unité d Helminthologie, Monnaie, France
Vet Rec 130:442-6. 1992..Good dose-response data were obtained with thiabendazole, levamisole, pyrantel tartrate and ivermectin allowing the determination of the 50 per cent lethal concentration and of resistance factors ..
- Concurrent infections with the ruminant nematodes Haemonchus contortus and Trichostrongylus colubriformis in jirds, Meriones unguiculatus, and use of this model for anthelmintic studiesG A Conder
Parasitology Research, Upjohn Labortories, Kalamazoo, Michigan 49001
J Parasitol 77:621-3. 1991..This model, using worms of 2 genera living in distinct sites, allows preliminary evaluation of anthelmintic activity and spectrum for experimental compounds in a single cost- and resource-efficient experiment...
- Efficacy of some commercial formulations of anthelmintics on Haemonchus contortus and Trichostrongylus columbianumM O Abatan
University of Ibadan, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, Nigeria
J Chemother 2:377-9. 1990..Levamisole and Banminth affected the motility of the helminth larvae with subsequent death after 24h. The other anthelmintics used did not adversely affect the helminth larvae as compared with the untreated control group...
- Evaluation of pyrantel-tartrate abbreviated Ascaris suum infections for the development of resistance in young pigs against migrating larvaeM Stankiewicz
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Iowa State University, Ames 50011
Int J Parasitol 20:77-81. 1990..suum until they were divided into groups at the age of 7-8 weeks. The experimental animals received pyrantel tartrate during the period when they were being exposed to increasing numbers of infective A...
- Acquired resistance to migrating larvae of Ascaris suum in young pigs by repeated drug-abbreviated infectionsM Stankiewicz
Veterinary Medical Research Institute, Iowa State University, Ames 50011
J Parasitol 76:383-8. 1990..suum eggs (500, 1,000, 2,000, 5,000, 10,000, and 20,000) at 7-day intervals while the pigs were receiving pyrantel tartrate in the feed...
- Effect of fenbendazole and pyrantel tartrate on the induction of protective immunity in pigs naturally or experimentally infected with Ascaris suumL L Southern
Louisiana State University Agricultural Center, Baton Rouge
J Anim Sci 67:628-34. 1989..Pigs in Treatments 2 and 5 were medicated with pyrantel tartrate (PT, 106 mg/kg feed) for 28 d. Pigs in Treatments 3 and 6 served as infected, unmedicated controls...
- A collaborative study: high-pressure liquid chromatographic determination of carbadox and pyrantel tartrate in animal feedsV A Thorpe
Michigan Department of Agriculture, Laboratory Division, East Lansing 48823
J Chromatogr Sci 26:545-50. 1988Carbadox (CBX), an antibacterial agent, and pyrantel tartrate (PT), an anthelmintic, are formulated either separately or together in swine feeds...
- Efficacy of pyrantel tartrate against experimental infections with Haemonchus contortus, Teladorsagia circumcincta and Trichostrongylus colubriformis in goatsC Chartier
CNEVA, Station Régionale de Pathologie Caprine, Niort, France
Vet Parasitol 59:69-73. 1995The efficacy of pyrantel tartrate was evaluated in goats against induced infections with Haemonchus contortus, Teladorsagia circumcincta and Trichostrongylus colubriformis...
- Comparison of daily and monthly pyrantel treatment in yearling thoroughbreds and the protective effect of strategic medication of mares on their foalsR P Herd
Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus 43210
Vet Parasitol 55:93-104. 1994..on a Thoroughbred breeding farm in Ohio were done to: (1) compare the effects of daily administration of pyrantel tartrate feed pellets with monthly administration of a pyrantel pamoate paste to yearling horses (21 January-3 ..
- Resistance of gastrointestinal nematodes of sheep to some anthelminticsM A M Harfoush
Animal Health Research Institute, Dokki, Kafr El Sheikh Branch, Department of Parasitology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Kafr El Sheikh University, Kafr EL Sheikh, Egypt
J Egypt Soc Parasitol 40:377-82. 2010The occurrence of resistance to three of commonly used anthelmintics, Pyrantel tartrate (Banminth), Albendazole2...