Summary: A serotonin uptake inhibitor that is used as an antidepressive agent. It has been shown to be effective in patients with major depressive disorders and other subsets of depressive disorders. It is generally more useful in depressive disorders associated with insomnia and anxiety. This drug does not aggravate psychotic symptoms in patients with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorders. (From AMA Drug Evaluations Annual, 1994, p309)
Publications219 found, 100 shown here
- Does trazodone have a role in palliating symptoms?Mellar P Davis
The Harry R Horvitz Center for Palliative Medicine, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, M76, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Support Care Cancer 15:221-4. 2007b>Trazodone is a unique antidepressant, which blocks the postsynaptic serotonin (5-HT) receptors, 5-HT(2A) and 5-HT(2C), and weakly inhibits presynaptic 5-HT transporters.
- Frontotemporal dementia: a randomised, controlled trial with trazodoneFlorence Lebert
Memory Clinic, Lille University Hospital, Lille, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 17:355-9. 2004..The serotonergic system is associated with frontal lobes, the degeneration of which contributes to FTD. Trazodone increases the extracellular 5-HT levels in the frontal cortex...
- Detection of novel reactive metabolites of trazodone: evidence for CYP2D6-mediated bioactivation of m-chlorophenylpiperazineBo Wen
Department of Pharmaceutical Candidate Optimization, Bristol Myers Squibb, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 36:841-50. 2008Several new glutathione adducts (M3-M7) of trazodone were tentatively identified in human liver microsomal incubations using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS)...
- P-glycoprotein interactions of nefazodone and trazodone in cell cultureE Stormer
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, 136 Harrison Avenue, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 41:708-14. 2001This study investigated the effects of nefazodone (NFZ) and trazodone (TZD) on P-glycoprotein (P-gp) activity and expression in cell culture...
- Daytime sleepiness and insomnia as correlates of depressionMaurizio Fava
Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA 02114, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 65:27-32. 2004..Finally, several different treatment options, including antidepressant monotherapy and augmentation of antidepressants with other medications, are explored...
- Insomnia related to dysthymia: polysomnographic and psychometric comparison with normal controls and acute therapeutic trials with trazodoneG M Saletu-Zyhlarz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vienna, Austria
Neuropsychobiology 44:139-49. 2001..In a placebo-controlled crossover design study, the acute effects of 100 mg trazodone, a serotonin reuptake inhibitor with a sedative action due to 5HT(2) and alpha(1) receptor blockade, were ..
- Sleep maintenance insomnia: strengths and weaknesses of current pharmacologic therapiesRussell P Rosenberg
Northside Hospital Sleep Medicine Institute, Atlanta, GA, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 18:49-56. 2006..When insomnia is recognized, considerable emphasis has been placed on improving sleep onset; however, there is growing evidence that improving sleep maintenance is an equally important treatment goal...
- A pilot study of the efficacy and safety of paroxetine augmented with risperidone, valproate, buspirone, trazodone, or thyroid hormone in adult Chinese patients with treatment-resistant major depressionYiru Fang
Division of Mood Disorders, Shanghai Mental Health Center, Department of Psychiatry, Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine, Shanghai, China
J Clin Psychopharmacol 31:638-42. 2011To compare the efficacy and safety of augmenting paroxetine with risperidone, buspirone, valproate, trazodone, or thyroid hormone in patients with treatment-resistant depression (TRD), 225 patients with retrospectively and/or ..
- Trazodone plus pregabalin combination in the treatment of fibromyalgia: a two-phase, 24-week, open-label uncontrolled studyElena P Calandre
Instituto de Neurociencias y Centro de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:95. 2011Although trazodone is frequently used by fibromyalgia patients, its efficacy on this disease has not been adequately studied...
- Effect of trazodone on hERG channel current and QT-intervalPaul Tarantino
Sepracor Inc, 84 Waterford Drive, Marlborough, MA 01752, United States
Eur J Pharmacol 510:75-85. 2005b>Trazodone has been associated with prolonged QT-interval and increased risk of polymorphous ventricular tachycardias clinically and has demonstrated in vitro inhibition of hERG (human ether-á-go-go-related gene) channel current...
- Effect of 70-nm silica particles on the toxicity of acetaminophen, tetracycline, trazodone, and 5-aminosalicylic acid in miceX Li
Laboratory of Bio Functional Molecular Chemistry, Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Osaka University, Osaka, Japan
Pharmazie 66:282-6. 2011..inflammatory bowel disease (5-aminosalicylic acid), an antibiotic drug (tetracycline), an antidepressant drug (trazodone), and an antipyretic drug (acetaminophen) in mice...
- A multicentre prospective controlled study to determine the safety of trazodone and nefazodone use during pregnancyAdrienne Einarson
Motherisk Program, Division of Clinical Pharmacology, Hospital for Sick Children, 555 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8
Can J Psychiatry 48:106-10. 2003b>Trazodone and nefazodone are phenylpiperazine antidepressants. Currently, there are no adequate, well-controlled studies on the fetal safety of these drugs...
- Trazodone for erectile dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysisH A Fink
Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center, Section of General Internal Medicine, VA Medical Center, Minneapolis, USA
BJU Int 92:441-6. 2003To determine the efficacy and safety of trazodone in the treatment of erectile dysfunction (ED) in a meta-analysis.
- Short-term exposure to low-dose ritonavir impairs clearance and enhances adverse effects of trazodoneDavid J Greenblatt
Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, Tufts University School of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston MA, 02111, USA
J Clin Pharmacol 43:414-22. 2003..In a single-dose, blinded, four-way crossover study, 10 healthy volunteer subjects received 50 mg of trazodone hydrochloride or matching placebo concurrent with low-dose ritonavir (four doses of 200 mg each) or with placebo...
- Trazodone for sleep disturbance during methadone maintenance: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialMichael D Stein
Department of Medicine, Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Box G, Providence, RI 02912, USA michael
Drug Alcohol Depend 120:65-73. 2012To test whether trazodone, one of the most commonly prescribed medications for treatment of insomnia, improves subjective and/or objective sleep among methadone-maintained persons with sleep complaints, we performed a randomized, double-..
- The efficacy and tolerability of once-daily controlled-release trazodone for depressed mood, anxiety, insomnia, and suicidality in major depressive disorderDavid V Sheehan
University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL, USA
Psychopharmacol Bull 42:5-22. 2009b>Trazodone Contramid(R) once-a-day (TzCOAD) is a reformulation of trazodone hydrochloride that controls the release of trazodone over 24 hours...
- [The effects of antidepressants on sleep in depressed patients with particular reference to trazodone in comparison to agomelatine, amitriptyline, doxepin, mianserine and mirtazapine]Adam Wichniak
Instytut Psychiatrii i Neurologii w Warszawie, III Klinika Psychiatryczna
Pol Merkur Lekarski 31:65-70. 2011..The aim of the study was to evaluate the effects of trazodone on sleep in depressed patients in comparison to other sleep promoting antidepressants: agomelatine, ..
- Diagnosis and treatment of chronic insomnia: a reviewRuth M Benca
Department of Psychiatry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53719, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:332-43. 2005..Insomnia has high prevalence rates and is associated with significant personal and socioeconomic burden, yet it remains largely underrecognized and inadequately treated...
- The effects of trazodone on sleep in patients treated with stimulant antidepressantsHakan Kaynak
Department of Neurology, Sleep Disorders Unit, Cerrahpasa Medical School, University of Istanbul, Cerrahpasa, 34303 Istanbul, Turkey
Sleep Med 5:15-20. 2004To evaluate the effects of trazodone on subjective and objective measures of sleep in depressed insomnia patients treated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs)...
- Combined treatment with haloperidol and trazodone in patients with tic disordersL Saccomani
Child Neuropsychiatry, DSNV, G Gaslini Institute, University of Genova, Italy
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 10:307-10. 2000The combination of haloperidol and trazodone was evaluated in an open-label trial in 10 patients with chronic tic and Tourette's syndrome. We found a mean reduction of symptoms of 58...
- Application of a trazodone-selective electrode to pharmaceutical quality control and urine analysesM Soledad García
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Murcia, 30071 Murcia, Spain
Anal Bioanal Chem 394:1563-7. 2009A trazodone-selective electrode for application in pharmaceutical quality control and urine analysis was developed. The electrode is based on incorporation of a trazodone-tetraphenylborate ion exchanger in a poly(vinyl chloride) membrane...
- alpha(1)-Adrenoceptor antagonists. Rational design, synthesis and biological evaluation of new trazodone-like compoundsLaura Betti
Dipartimento di Psichiatria, Neurobiologia, Farmacologia e Biotecnologie, Universita di Pisa, Via Bonanno 6, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 12:437-40. 2002..A 1.1 nM affinity toward alpha(1)-AR was found for compound 3, the most active of this series...
- Trazodone and ejaculatory inhibitionKenneth R Kaufman
Department of Psychiatry, UMDNJ Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, New Brunswick, NJ 08901, USA
J Sex Marital Ther 33:225-30. 2007..in a male patient with co-morbid psychiatric diagnoses treated with fluoxetine, divalproex sodium, lamotrigine, trazodone, and clonazepam. Detailed psychotropic history with time-line of adverse effect onset implicated trazodone...
- Trazodone for the treatment of fibromyalgia: an open-label, 12-week studyPiedad Morillas-Arques
Instituto de Neurociencias y Centro de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad de Granada, Granada, Spain
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:204. 2010Despite its frequent use as a hypnotic, trazodone has not been systematically assessed in fibromyalgia patients...
- Fulminant hepatic failure induced by venlafaxine and trazodone therapy: a case reportO Detry
Department of Abdominal Surgery and Transplantation, CHU de Liege, University of Liege, Sart Tilman B35, B4000 Liege, Belgium
Transplant Proc 41:3435-6. 2009..Venlafaxine and trazodone are 2 popular antidepressant agents...
- [The effectiveness of treatment with trazodone in patients with primary insomnia without and with prior history of hypnotics use]Adam Wichniak
Department of Forensic Medicine, Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology, Warsaw, Poland
Pol Merkur Lekarski 23:41-6. 2007..Antidepressants are important alternative for long-term insomnia treatment. The aim of the study was compared the efficacy of trazodone in the treatment of patients with primary insomnia with and without prior history of hypnotics use.
- A placebo-controlled crossover trial using trazodone in pediatric migraineP A Battistella
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Italy
Headache 33:36-9. 1993An 8-month, double-blind, placebo-controlled cross-over trial was carried out on the use of trazodone in pediatric migraine prophylaxis...
- A comparative, randomized, double-blind study of trazodone prolonged-release and sertraline in the treatment of major depressive disorderC Munizza
Fourth Local Health Unit, Mental Health Department, Turin, Italy
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1703-13. 2006To evaluate the efficacy and safety of trazodone prolonged-release compared with sertraline in the treatment of patients with major depression.
- Utility of 7,7,8,8-tetracyanoquinodimethane charge transfer reagent for the spectrophotometric determination of trazodone, amineptine and amitriptyline hydrochloridesGehad G Mohamed
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 68:1244-9. 2007..spectrophotometric method has been developed for the determination of tricyclic anti-depressant drugs such as trazodone (TZH), amineptine (APH) and amitriptyline (ATPH) hydrochlorides in pure form and in different pharmaceutical ..
- New colorimetric methods for the determination of trazodone HCl, famotidine, and diltiazem HCl in their pharmaceutical dosage formsMagda M Ayad
Analytical Chemical Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Zagazig University, Zagazig, Egypt
Anal Bioanal Chem 376:710-4. 2003Two sensitive and simple spectrophotometric methods are developed for the determination of trazodone HCl, famotidine, and diltiazem HCl in pure and pharmaceutical preparations...
- Trazodone-induced cardiac arrhythmias: a report of two casesD Winkler
Hum Psychopharmacol 21:61-2. 2006
- A review of the evidence for the efficacy and safety of trazodone in insomniaWallace B Mendelson
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 66:469-76. 2005b>Trazodone, a triazolopyridine antidepressant, is currently the second most commonly prescribed agent for the treatment of insomnia due to its sedating qualities...
- Voltammetric analysis of trazodone HCl in pharmaceuticals and biological fluidsN El-Enany
Department of Analytical Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Mansoura, 35516 Mansoura, Egypt
J Pharm Biomed Anal 30:219-26. 2002The voltammetric behavior of trazodone (TRZ) HCl was studied using direct current (DC(t)), differential pulse (DPP) and alternating current (AC(t)) polarography. The drug manifests cathodic waves over the pH range of 10-14...
- Sedation of children with ADHD: trazodone or midazolam?Simonetta Tesoro
Paediatr Anaesth 17:1008-9. 2007
- In vitro assessment of mitochondrial dysfunction and cytotoxicity of nefazodone, trazodone, and buspironeJames A Dykens
Drug Safety Research and Development, Pfizer, Inc, Sandwich CT139NJ, UK
Toxicol Sci 103:335-45. 2008..S. market in 2004 due to hepatotoxicity. Accordingly, we evaluated nefazodone, another triazolopyridine trazodone, plus the azaspirodecanedione buspirone, for cytotoxicity and effects on mitochondrial function...
- Trazodone for Alzheimer's disease: a naturalistic follow-up studySecundino López-Pousa
Research Unit, Institut d Assistencia Sanitaria, Hospital Santa Caterina, Parc Hospitalari Martí i Julià, C Dr Castany s n, 17190 Salt, Girona, Spain
Arch Gerontol Geriatr 47:207-15. 2008This study intended to provide a patient profile for trazodone (a triazolopyridine-derivative of phenylpiperazine) prescription in everyday clinical practice in patients with Alzheimer's disease (AD), and to describe clinical evaluation ..
- Spectrophotometric, spectrofluorimetric and LC determination of trazodone hydrochlorideA el-Gindy
Pharmaceutical Analytical Chemistry Department, Faculty of Pharmacy, Suez Canal University, Ismailia 41522, Egypt
J Pharm Biomed Anal 26:211-7. 2001Three methods are described for the determination of trazodone hydrochloride in pharmaceutical tablets...
- Trazodone inhibits T-type calcium channelsRichard L Kraus
Sleep Research Department, Merck Research Laboratories, 770 Sumneytown Pike, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Neuropharmacology 53:308-17. 2007b>Trazodone is one of the most commonly prescribed medicines for treating depression and insomnia. However, the pharmacological mechanism of action underlying trazodone's unique effects is unclear...
- Effects on sleep stages and microarchitecture of caffeine and its combination with zolpidem or trazodone in healthy volunteersL M Paterson
Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, Whitson Street, Bristol BS1 3NY, UK
J Psychopharmacol 23:487-94. 2009..study whereby subjects received placebo, caffeine (150 mg), caffeine plus zolpidem (10 mg) and caffeine plus trazodone (100 mg) at bedtime in a randomised crossover design...
- Therapeutic options for sleep-maintenance and sleep-onset insomniaAnna K Morin
Department of Pharmacy Practice, Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Worcester, Massachusetts 01608 1715, USA
Pharmacotherapy 27:89-110. 2007..include benzodiazepine and nonbenzodiazepine sedative-hypnotic agents; ramelteon, a melatonin receptor agonist; trazodone; and sedating antihistamines. Herbal and alternative preparations include melatonin and valerian...
- Nitric oxide modulation mediates the protective effect of trazodone in a mouse model of chronic fatigue syndromeAnil Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, 160014, India
Pharmacol Rep 60:664-72. 2008..conducted with the aim of elucidating the possible role of nitric oxide (NO) in the neuroprotective effects of trazodone used to treat chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) in mice...
- Treatment of neuroleptic-induced akathisia with the 5-HT2A antagonist trazodoneRafael Stryjer
Beer Yaakov Mental Health Center, Israel
Clin Neuropharmacol 26:137-41. 2003..b>Trazodone is an antidepressant agent demonstrating prominent serotonergic antagonistic properties...
- Trazodone addition for insomnia in venlafaxine-treated, depressed inpatients: a semi-naturalistic studyGilles Bertschy
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital and University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Pharmacol Res 51:79-84. 2005In this paper, we present the results of a prospective semi-naturalistic study of the addition of trazodone for insomnia to a 4 week, 300mg/day venlafaxine treatment in 50 depressed inpatients...
- Possible role of trazodone and imipramine in sleep deprivation-induced anxiety-like behavior and oxidative damage in miceA Kumar
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh, India
Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol 31:383-7. 2009..The present study was designed to explore the protective effects of trazodone and imipramine on 72-h sleep deprivation-induced anxiety-like behavior and oxidative damage in mice...
- Sensitive extractive spectrophotometric methods for the determination of trazodone hydrochloride in pharmaceutical formulationsRamanaboyina Sudhir Kumar
Department of Chemistry, Karnatak University, Dharwad 580 003, India
Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo) 54:968-71. 2006Two simple, rapid and sensitive extractive spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the assay of trazodone hydrochloride (TRH) in pure and pharmaceutical formulations...
- Spectrophotometric determination of trazodone, amineptine and amitriptyline hydrochlorides through ion-pair formation using methyl orange and bromocresol green reagentsFaten A F Nour El-Dien
Chemistry Department, Faculty of Science, Cairo University, Giza, Egypt
Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 65:20-6. 2006..spectrophotometric procedure has been developed for the determination of tricyclic anti-depressant drugs such as trazodone (TZH), amineptine (APH) and amitriptyline (ATPH) hydrochlorides in pure form and in different dosage forms...
- The drug treatment of depression in general practice: a comparison of nocte administration of trazodone with mianserin, dothiepin and amitriptylineR Blacker
St Bartholomew s Hospital, London, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 95:S18-24. 1988..multicentre study was performed to assess the efficacy and tolerability of evening administration of 150 mg trazodone as an initial and maintenance therapy and to compare this regimen with recommended dosages of mianserin, ..
- Trazodone for sleep disturbance after alcohol detoxification: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trialPeter D Friedmann
Program to Integrate Psychosocial and Health Services, Research Service, Providence Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:1652-60. 2008b>Trazodone is a commonly prescribed off-label for sleep disturbance in alcohol-dependent patients, but its safety and efficacy for this indication is unknown.
- Priapism associated with trazodone in an adolescent with autismDeborah L Kem
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:758. 2002
- Tinnitus treatment with TrazodoneGabriel Cesar Dib
Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 73:390-7. 2007..Tinnitus is a common symptom, defined as a sound perception in absence of a sound stimulus...
- Trazodone and its active metabolite m-chlorophenylpiperazine as partial agonists at 5-HT1A receptors assessed by [35S]GTPgammaS bindingYuji Odagaki
Department of Psychiatry, Saitama Medical School, Moroyama machi, Iruma gun, Saitama, Japan
J Psychopharmacol 19:235-41. 2005b>Trazodone is an effective antidepressant drug with a broad therapeutic spectrum, including anxiolytic efficacy...
- Survey on the usefulness of trazodone in patients with PTSD with insomnia or nightmaresM D Warner
University of Michigan Medical Center, USA
Pharmacopsychiatry 34:128-31. 2001BACKGROUND: Trazodone is commonly used in the treatment of insonmia and nightmares in patients with PTSD. There is little evidence in the literature for this practice...
- Effects of trazodone on neurotransmitter release from rat mossy fibre cerebellar synaptosomesB Garrone
Pharmacological Department, ACRAF Angelini Ricerche, P le della Stazione s n c, 00040 S Palomba Pomezia, Rome, Italy
Eur J Pharmacol 400:35-41. 2000The effects of trazodone and putative sigma (sigma) receptor ligands were investigated on KCl-stimulated release of glutamate (Glu) and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) from cerebellar mossy fibre synaptosomes...
- Fatal overdose with trazodone: case report and literature reviewA de Meester
Cardiology Department, Jolimont Hospital, 7100 Haine Saint Paul, Belgium
Acta Clin Belg 56:258-61. 2001A fatal case of suicide with trazodone alone in a 40-year-old patient is reported. Life-threatening arrhythmias, such as torsades de pointes and complete AV block, are recorded...
- Insomnia in somatoform pain disorder: sleep laboratory studies on differences to controls and acute effects of trazodone, evaluated by the Somnolyzer 24 x 7 and the Siesta databaseBernd Saletu
Department of Psychiatry, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Neuropsychobiology 51:148-63. 2005..Subsequent evaluation of the acute effects of 100 mg of a controlled-release formulation of trazodone (Trittico retard) in the patients demonstrated an increase in the target variable SWS, accompanied by a ..
- Insomnia in depression: differences in objective and subjective sleep and awakening quality to normal controls and acute effects of trazodoneGerda Maria Saletu-Zyhlarz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vienna, Austria
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 26:249-60. 2002..In a subsequent acute, placebo-controlled cross-over design study, the acute effects of 100 mg of trazodone, a serotonin reuptake inhibitor with a sedative action due to 5-HT2 and alpha1 receptor blockade, were ..
- Safety of trazodone as a sleep agent for inpatientsGeetha Jayaram
Department of Psychiatry, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Meyer 4 181, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Psychosomatics 46:367-9. 2005b>Trazodone, an atypical antidepressant with relatively low anticholinergic and cardiac conduction effects, offers useful augmentation to classic antidepressant drugs, notably selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors...
- Electroconvulsive therapy and cardiovascular complications in patients taking trazodone for insomniaL E Krahn
Mayo Sleep Disorders Center, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn 55905, USA
J Clin Psychiatry 62:108-10. 2001BACKGROUND: Trazodone has been used widely to treat insomnia in depressed patients. When used in combination with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT), trazodone has been suspected to cause cardiovascular side effects...
- Acute behavioral effects and abuse potential of trazodone, zolpidem and triazolam in humansC R Rush
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson 39216, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 144:220-33. 1999..examined the acute behavioral effects and abuse potential of three drugs commonly used to treat sleep disorders, trazodone, zolpidem and triazolam, and placebo in ten male volunteers with histories of alcohol and drug abuse...
- A comparative, randomised, double-blind study of trazodone prolonged-release and paroxetine in the treatment of patients with major depressive disorderS Kasper
Department of General Psychiatry, Medical University, Vienna, Austria
Curr Med Res Opin 21:1139-46. 2005To evaluate the efficacy and safety of trazodone prolonged release compared with paroxetine in the treatment of patients with major depression.
- Increased deep sleep after trazodone use: a double-blind placebo-controlled study in healthy young adultsJ C Ware
Sleep Disorders Center, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, VA 23507
J Clin Psychiatry 51:18-22. 1990The effects of trazodone on sleep were compared with those of placebo and the sedating tricyclic antidepressant trimipramine in a double-blind crossover study in six healthy young men...
- Trazodone improves the results of cognitive behaviour therapy of primary insomnia in non-depressed patientsLucie Zavesicka
Prague Psychiatric Center, 3rd Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Ustavni 91, 181 03 Praha 8 Bohnice, Czech Republic
Neuro Endocrinol Lett 29:895-901. 2008..The present study was undertaken to evaluate the clinical efficacy of CBT, singly and combined with trazodone pharmacotherapy, for primary insomnia.
- A meta-analysis of clinical trials comparing the serotonin (5HT)-2 receptor antagonists trazodone and nefazodone with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for the treatment of major depressive disorderGeorge I Papakostas
Department of Psychiatry, Depression Clinical and Research Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 15 Parkman Street, WAC 812, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Eur Psychiatry 22:444-7. 2007..To compare response rates among patients with major depressive disorder (MDD) treated with either a serotonin-2 (5HT2-) receptor antagonist or a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)...
- The effects of trazodone with L-tryptophan on sleep-disordered breathing in the English bulldogS C Veasey
Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, School of Medicine University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 160:1659-67. 1999..multidose, randomized sleep studies testing the effectiveness of a combination of serotoninergics, trazodone, and L-tryptophan, in our animal model of OSAHS, the English bulldog...
- Effects of genetic polymorphism of CYP1A2 inducibility on the steady-state plasma concentrations of trazodone and its active metabolite m-chlorophenylpiperazine in depressed Japanese patientsK Mihara
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Japan
Pharmacol Toxicol 88:267-70. 2001..a genetic polymorphism of inducibility of cytochrome P450 (CYP) 1A2 on the steady-state plasma concentrations of trazodone and its active metabolite, m-chlorophenylpiperazine, were studied in order to clarify if these steady-state ..
- Prenatal bupropion exposure enhances the cocaine reward and stress susceptibility in adult miceS Y Hsiao
Institute of Behavioral Medicine, National Cheng Kung University College of Medicine, Tainan, Taiwan
Chin J Physiol 48:223-9. 2005..whether prenatal exposure of four frequently-used antidepressants, bupropion, fluvoxamine, citalopram, and trazodone, altered the responsiveness to stress and cocaine in the adulthood...
- [Review of antidepressants from the TCAs to the third generation drugs]János Almási
Organon Hungary Kft, Orvosi Osztály, Budapest
Neuropsychopharmacol Hung 6:185-94. 2004..The main aim of this review is to give an objective approach to the psychiatrists in order to choose the best and optimal pharmaco-therapeutical method in their daily practice...
- [Trazodone and venlafaxine in treatment of depressive disorders]Antoni Florkowski
Klinika Psychiatrii i Zaburzeń Nerwicowych z Oddziałem Interwencji Kryzysowych Uniwersytetu Medycznego w Lodzi
Pol Merkur Lekarski 18:556-9. 2005..The aim of the study was to evaluate trazodone efficiency and safety in comparison to venlafaxine treatments of depressive episode, recurrent depressive ..
- Prolonged QT associated with an overdose of trazodonePhilip B Dattilo
J Clin Psychiatry 68:1309-10. 2007
- [Review of pharmacological efficacies and side effects of antidepressants]Atsuko Ikenouchi-Sugita
Department of Psychiatry, University of Occupational and Environmental Health
Nihon Rinsho 65:1633-7. 2007..Tricyclic antidepressants are still important for treating severe depression, and mianserin and trazodone are useful for treating delirium...
- Antioxidant eugenosedin-A protects against lipopolysaccharide-induced hypotension, hyperglycaemia and cytokine immunoreactivity in rats and miceKuo Pyng Shen
Department and Graduate Institute of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shih Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
J Pharm Pharmacol 57:117-25. 2005..Intravenous administration of eugenosedin-A, trazodone, yohimbine (1 mg kg(-1)), aminoguanidine or ascorbic acid (15 mg kg(-1)) normalized LPS (10 mg kg(-1))-induced ..
- Therapeutic drug monitoring of non-tricyclic antidepressant drugsPhilip B Mitchell
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales and Black Dog Institute, Sydney, Australia
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:1212-8. 2004..serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and other non-tricyclic antidepressants such as venlafaxine, nefazodone, trazodone, mianserin and bupropion...
- A case of prolonged peyote-induced psychosis resolved by sleepBrett Y Lu
J Clin Psychiatry 65:1433-4. 2004
- Using metaanalysis to evaluate evidence: practical tips and trapsRaymond W Lam
Division of Clinical Neuroscience, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver
Can J Psychiatry 50:167-74. 2005..This paper focuses on basic principles and terms used in metaanalysis, so that clinicians can appropriately evaluate and use their results to guide treatment decisions...
- Comparison of trazodone, diazepame and dibenzepine influences on rat brain beta-endorphins contentRadivoj Jadrić
Institute for Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sarajevo, Cekalusa 90, 71 000 Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
Bosn J Basic Med Sci 7:222-5. 2007..Brain beta-endorphins were higher in experiment group treated with trazodone (929 pg/g +/- 44,43; X+/-SD), and dibenzepine (906,63 pg/g +/- 74,06), yet with lower brain content in rats ..
- The management of insomnia in the older adultAna C Tuya
Rhode Island Hospital, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, USA
Med Health R I 90:195-6. 2007
- The four-plates test: anxiolytic or analgesic paradigm?Nadège Ripoll
EA 3256, Neurobiologie de l anxiété et de la dépression, Faculte de Medecine, BP 53508, 1 rue Gaston Veil, F44035 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:873-80. 2006..Our results suggest that the reported drug-induced anti-punishment effects in the FPT are not related to modifications of pain threshold but to a pure anxiolytic-like effect...
- Induction of a mixed depressive episode during rTMS treatment in a patient with refractory major depressionFady Rachid
Division of Adult Psychiatry, University Hospitals of Geneva, Switzerland
World J Biol Psychiatry 7:261-4. 2006..Therefore, caution should be exercised among clinicians using this experimental procedure, particularly in the treatment of bipolar depressed patients...
- Inhibition of G protein-activated inwardly rectifying K+ channels by the antidepressant paroxetineToru Kobayashi
Department of Molecular Neuropathology, Brain Research Institute, Niigata University, Niigata, Japan
J Pharmacol Sci 102:278-87. 2006..However, two structurally different antidepressants: milnacipran and trazodone, caused only a small inhibition of basal GIRK currents. Additionally, Kir1.1 and Kir2...
- Noradrenergic and serotonergic modulation to treat vasomotor symptomsPaola Albertazzi
Centre for Metabolic Bone Disease, Hull Royal Infirmary, Hull, UK
J Br Menopause Soc 12:7-11. 2006..Thus, non-hormonal treatments are not as effective as estrogens in relieving hot flushes but may have a place as an alternative...
- A translational, caffeine-induced model of onset insomnia in rats and healthy volunteersLouise M Paterson
Psychopharmacology Unit, University of Bristol, Dorothy Hodgkin Building, Whitson Street, Bristol, BS1 3NY, UK
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 191:943-50. 2007..Insomnia is a common and disabling complaint for which there is a need for improved treatments. Successful drug discovery relies on the use of appropriate animal models to assess likely outcome in the clinic...
- Pharmacological treatment of insomnia for individuals with brain injurySteven R Flanagan
Departments of Rehabilitation Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
J Head Trauma Rehabil 22:67-70. 2007
- A placebo-controlled trial of bupropion SR in the treatment of chronic posttraumatic stress disorderMary E Becker
Durham VA Medical Center, NC 27705, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 27:193-7. 2007....
- A rational combination pharmacotherapy in men with erectile dysfunction who initially failed to oral sildenafil citrate alone: a pilot studyRajesh Taneja
Pushpawati Singhania Research Institute Surgical Division, New Delhi, India
J Sex Med 4:1136-41. 2007..A combination of trazodone with sildenafil has been used to overcome both organic as well as psychogenic components, thus improving the ..
- Current patterns and future directions in the treatment of insomniaJohn Winkelman
Sleep Disorders Program, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Sleep Health Center, Newton, MA 02459, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 17:31-40. 2005..Despite the high prevalence and the high burden associated with chronic insomnia, it remains largely unrecognized and often inadequately treated by physicians...
- Low-dose-trazodone-induced disorganized type psychosisYoshito Mizoguchi
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 17:253-4. 2005
- "A comparison of the effectiveness of two hypnotic agents for the treatment of insomnia"Thomas Schwartz
SUNY Upstate Medical University, Department of Psychiatry, 750 East Adams Street, Syracuse, NY 13210, USA
Int J Psychiatr Nurs Res 10:1146-50. 2004..To compare the effectiveness and tolerability of two hypnotic agents, trazadone (Desyrel) and zaleplon (Sonata) on psychiatric inpatients with insomnia...
- Inhibition of cardiac HERG potassium channels by the atypical antidepressant trazodoneEdgar Zitron
Department of Internal Medicine III Cardiology, Medical University Hospital Heidelberg, Bergheimerstrasse 58, 69115, Heidelberg, Germany
Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 370:146-56. 2004b>Trazodone is an atypical antidepressant that is commonly used in the treatment of affective disorders...
- Studies on the anti-inflammatory effect of fluoxetine in the ratOmar M E Abdel-Salam
Department of Pharmacology, National Research Centre, Tahrir Street, Dokki, Cairo, Egypt
Pharmacol Res 49:119-31. 2004..In contrast, administration of both fluoxetine and the heterocyclic antidepressant trazodone had no greater anti-inflammatory effect than fluoxetine alone...
- [Chronobiological research on antidepressant drugs: the effect of the antidepressant drugs, trazodone and imipramine on the circadian rhythm using electroencephalography in healthy volunteers]Shuichi Nakamura
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Nippon Medical School, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 69:262-7. 2002The effects of the antidepressant drugs trazodone and imipramine on the circadian rhythm were studied by means of the sleep propensity test (SPT; sleep latency was examined by 35-minute EEG records at 09:00, 11:00, 13:00, 15:00, 17:00)...
- [Interest of the use of pindolol in the treatment of depression: review]G Brousse
CMPB, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, CHU, rue Montalembert, 63003 Clermont Ferrand
Encephale 29:338-50. 2003..Three studies were carried out with fluoxetine, 1 with fluvoxamine, 3 with paroxetine, 1 with trazodone. Two -studies were investigated with several antidepressant treatments...
- Confirmation of the neurophysiologically predicted therapeutic effects of trazodone on its target symptoms depression, anxiety and insomnia by postmarketing clinical studies with a controlled-release formulation in depressed outpatientsGerda Maria Saletu-Zyhlarz
Department of Psychiatry, University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Neuropsychobiology 48:194-208. 2003Early human pharmaco-EEG and subsequent sleep laboratory studies identified trazodone, a 5-HT(2) antagonist and 5-HT reuptake inhibitor (SARI), as an antidepressant with therapeutic effects on its target symptoms depressed mood, anxiety ..
- [Serotonin reuptake inhibitors in depression of Alzheimer's disease and other dementias]Florence Lebert
Centre Médical des Monts de Flandres, Centre de la Mémoire, CHRU Lille, Bailleul
Presse Med 32:1181-6. 2003....
- Open pilot study of gabapentin versus trazodone to treat insomnia in alcoholic outpatientsMaher Karam-Hage
Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48108, USA
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 57:542-4. 2003Alcohol-dependent outpatients with persisting insomnia were treated with either gabapentin or trazodone. Patients were assessed at baseline and after 4-6 weeks on medication using the Sleep Problems Questionnaire (SPQ)...
- Inhibition of K(+)-evoked release of rat striatal 5-hydroxytryptamine by an atypical antidepressant: trazodoneS Hatsuda
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Aichi Medical College, Nagakute, Japan
Neuropsychobiology 44:103-7. 2001..In rats given trazodone, m-chlorophenylpiperazine dihydrochloride, or imipramine, the concentrations of 5-HT were unchanged...
- Double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy of trazodone in alcohol post-withdrawal syndrome: polysomnographic and clinical evaluationsOlivier Le Bon
Brugmann University Hospital, CHU Brugmann S78, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, 1040 Brussels, Belgium
J Clin Psychopharmacol 23:377-83. 2003..In this report, we evaluated the capacity of trazodone (TRZ), a second-generation antidepressant with anxiolytic and sedative properties, to increase the sleep ..
- Myoclonus secondary to the concurrent use of trazodone and fluoxetineW Darko
Department of Pharmacy Services, University Hospital, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
Vet Hum Toxicol 43:214-5. 2001..Prior to admission, he was on 50 mg trazodone every evening for 2 mo for depression...
- Effects of trazodone and imipramine on the biological rhythm: an analysis of sleep EEG and body core temperatureHideaki Suzuki
Department of Neuropsychiatry, Nippon Medical School, Japan
J Nippon Med Sch 69:333-41. 2002..Therefore, we have undertaken a study on the direct effects of the antidepressants trazodone and imipramine on the biological rhythms of healthy volunteers...
- Simultaneous quantification of citalopram, clozapine, fluoxetine, norfluoxetine, maprotiline, desmethylmaprotiline and trazodone in human serum by HPLC analysisR Waschgler
Medical Central Laboratory, Feldkirch, Austria
Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther 40:554-9. 2002..clozapine (leponex), fluoxetine (fluctine), norfluoxetine, maprotiline (ludiomil), desmethylmaprotiline and trazodone (trittico) in human serum within a period of 11.5 minutes using reversed phase HPLC...
- The pharmacologic management of SSRI-induced side effects: a survey of psychiatristsChristina M Dording
Depression Clinical and Research Group, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann Clin Psychiatry 14:143-7. 2002..120/330) opted to switch agents as their first choice; for SSRI-induced insomnia, 78% (264/326) chose adding trazodone. Switching agents was the first choice of 61% (214/353) of clinicians for managing SSRI-induced agitation, 93% (..
- Dissociative symptoms from combined treatment with sertraline and trazodoneTimothy Lacy
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci 15:241-2. 2003
- INSOMNIA AND DRUG RELAPSE RISKMichael Stein; Fiscal Year: 2009..b>Trazodone, an F.D.A...
- Pathogenesis of Sleep Disordered Breathing in Spinal Cord Injury PatientsABDUL SANKRI-TARBICHI; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hypothesis (3a): Buspirone (5-HT1A agonist) widens the CO2 reserve in SCI patients. Hypothesis (3b): Trazodone (5-HT2C agonist) widens the CO2 reserve in SCI patients...
- Medications and the Risk of Sudden Cardiac DeathWayne A Ray; Fiscal Year: 2013..torsade de pointes suggest four specific widely used antidepressants--fluoxetine, citalopram, escitalopram, and trazodone--may increase risk of sudden cardiac death...
- Rehabilitation of Stress-Induced InsomniaPingfu Feng; Fiscal Year: 2009..objectives to separately study how the drugs eszopiclone (Lunesta, a non-benzodiazepine GABAergic agonist) and trazodone (a commonly prescribed antidepressant used for insomnia) affect sleep in acute (two days) treatment and chronic ..
- 1/2-Sequenced Therapies for Comorbid and Primary InsomniasJack D Edinger; Fiscal Year: 2013..first-line therapy will be encouraged to accept random assignment to a second, 6-week, medication (zolpidem or trazodone) or behavioral (standard or tailored CBT) treatment...
- 2/2-Sequenced Therapies for Comorbid and Primary InsomniasCharles M Morin; Fiscal Year: 2013..first-line therapy will be encouraged to accept random assignment to a second, 6-week, medication (zolpidem or trazodone) or behavioral (standard or tailored CBT) treatment...
- Next-day Behavioral Effects of TrazodoneAnthony Liguori; Fiscal Year: 2009DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Trazodone, the most widely used sleep aid in the U.S., is indicated for depression, and is not indicated for insomnia...
- Medication Effects on Sleep in AlcoholicsKirk Brower; Fiscal Year: 2009..two medications with known potential for treating either alcohol dependence or insomnia (gabapentin, trazodone) will be studied for their short-term effects on disregulated sleep in alcohol-dependent patients...
- Trazodone for Sleep Disturbance - Early Alcohol RecoveryPeter Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2004..b>Trazodone, an F.D.A...
- Stabilize Addiction/Affect, Begin Inmates' Interferon for HCV of Liver (STAABIHL)Peter Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2009..Such increased access to therapy would benefit public health and public safety. ..
- LINKAGE TO HEALTH SERVICES IN DRUG ABUSE TREATMENTPeter Friedmann; Fiscal Year: 2002..This work will improve our understanding of linkage mechanisms and of problem-service matching, and quantify the extent to which medical and psychosocial services are important components of effective drug abuse treatment. ..
- Abuse Liability Associated with Chronic Hypnotic UseTimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- PGP Regulation of Antipsychotic Exposure and EffectsC Devane; Fiscal Year: 2008..The results of this research will provide support for translational studies in humans to refine treatment guidelines for the use of this class of medications in severely mentally ill patients. ..
- Controlled Study of SAMe vs.Escitalopram in Major Depressive DisorderMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2008..Secondary aims are to assess the acute effects of SAMe or escitalopram vs. placebo on remission rates, quality of life, and psychosocial functioning. ..
- Signal Transduction in DepressionRichard Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2008..These studies may shed light on important cellular mediators of depression and provide new targets for amelioration. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- SLEEPINESS AND THE REINFORCING EFFECT OF METHYLPHENIDATETimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2002..And finally during year five the interaction of behavioral demand placed on subjects and different levels of sleepiness-alertness will be the focus. ..
- Pharmacogenetics of MethadoneC Devane; Fiscal Year: 2003..This study will form the basis for subsequent studies which should provide a more rational basis for dosing of methadone in pregnant addicts. ..
- DIFFERENTIAL VULNERABILITY TO MORBIDITIES OF SLEEP APNEASigrid Veasey; Fiscal Year: 2003..Therefore, this work provides an essential foundation for determining gene function in the susceptibility of sleepiness, impaired cognation and behavioral responses caused by obstructive sleep apnea. (End of Abstract.) ..
- DAYTIME SLEEPINESS--PREVALENCE, CONSEQUENCES, AND RISKSThomas Roth; Fiscal Year: 2003..The important contribution of the present proposal is that it will be the first population-based study to use laboratory assessments, its consequences and risks to measure sleepiness. ..
- MOLECULAR NEUROBIOLOGY OF DEPRESSIONRichard Shelton; Fiscal Year: 2003..Develop further expertise in basic molecular biological methods; 2. Develop new projects oriented to future funding opportunities; and 3. Continue to mentor the next generation of investigators. ..
- Neurocognitive Effects of HCV, HIV, and Drug UseScott Letendre; Fiscal Year: 2004..The findings of this research will be used to evaluate the feasibility of an interventional study, and to assist in its design. ..
- Insomnia as a Path to Alcohol AbuseTimothy Roehrs; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- BUPROPION AS AN ADJUNCT TO THE NICOTINE PATCH PLUS CBTMaurizio Fava; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Exercise & Health Promotion for MCI: A Controlled TrialLinda Teri; Fiscal Year: 2010..These older adults are at increased risk of developing Alzheimer's disease within 3 years, and delaying or preventing cognitive decline will preserve their ability to live independently and save public health dollars. ..
- S-Adenosyl Methionine(SAMe)Augmentation of SSRIs in MDDGeorge Papakostas; Fiscal Year: 2008..It is hoped that this project award will provide the critical fund of basic knowledge and practical experience necessary to aid the candidate in becoming an independent investigator in this area. ..
- Sleep Apnea: Upper Airway Nerve InjurySigrid Veasey; Fiscal Year: 2009..Collectively, the proposed studies will unveil important mechanisms of neuronal injury in obstructive sleep apnea and should reveal diabetes is a risk factor for this neural injury in sleep apnea. ..
- Improving Affect & Behavior in Assisted Living ResidentsLinda Teri; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the results of this trial will be used to develop a multi-site effectiveness trial on treatment to reduce affective and behavioral disturbance in AL residents with dementia. ..