Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the transfer of glycosyl groups to an acceptor. Most often another carbohydrate molecule acts as an acceptor, but inorganic phosphate can also act as an acceptor, such as in the case of PHOSPHORYLASES. Some of the enzymes in this group also catalyze hydrolysis, which can be regarded as transfer of a glycosyl group from the donor to water. Subclasses include the HEXOSYLTRANSFERASES; PENTOSYLTRANSFERASES; SIALYLTRANSFERASES; and those transferring other glycosyl groups. EC 2.4.
Publications245 found, 100 shown here
- Enzymes that recognize dolichols participate in three glycosylation pathways and are required for protein secretionP Orlean
Department of Biochemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign 61801
Biochem Cell Biol 70:438-47. 1992....
- Growth of the plant cell wallDaniel J Cosgrove
Department of Biology, 208 Mueller Laboratory, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6:850-61. 2005..Recent discoveries have uncovered how plant cells synthesize wall polysaccharides, assemble them into a strong fibrous network and regulate wall expansion during cell growth...
- Characterization of IRX10 and IRX10-like reveals an essential role in glucuronoxylan biosynthesis in ArabidopsisDavid M Brown
Faculty of Life Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Plant J 57:732-46. 2009Xylan, the major hemicellulosic polysaccharide in Arabidopsis secondary cell walls, requires a number of glycosyltransferases (GT) to catalyse formation of the various glycosidic linkages found in the polymer...
- Muscular dystrophy and neuronal migration disorder caused by mutations in a glycosyltransferase, POMGnT1A Yoshida
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Kanazawa Ku, 236 0004, Yokohama, Japan
Dev Cell 1:717-24. 2001..These findings suggest that interference in O-mannosyl glycosylation is a new pathomechanism for muscular dystrophy as well as neuronal migration disorder...
- Evolution and function of the plant cell wall synthesis-related glycosyltransferase family 8Yanbin Yin
Computational Systems Biology Laboratory and Institute of Bioinformatics, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Plant Physiol 153:1729-46. 2010....
- The Arabidopsis IRX10 and IRX10-LIKE glycosyltransferases are critical for glucuronoxylan biosynthesis during secondary cell wall formationAi Min Wu
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, SE 901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant J 57:718-31. 2009..This contrasts with the proposed function of the tobacco NpGUT1, which is closely related to the Arabidopsis IRX10 and IRX10-L proteins, in rhamnogalacturonan II biosynthesis...
- Xyloglucan endo-transglycosylase (XET) functions in gelatinous layers of tension wood fibers in poplar--a glimpse into the mechanism of the balancing act of treesNobuyuki Nishikubo
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, Umea Plant Science Center, SLU, S901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant Cell Physiol 48:843-55. 2007..Surprisingly, XTH gene products and XET activity persisted in mature G-fibers for several years, suggesting that the enzyme functions after cell death repairing the cross-links as they are being broken during the shrinking process...
- Glycosyltransferases and cell wall biosynthesis: novel players and insightsWolf Rüdiger Scheible
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Curr Opin Plant Biol 7:285-95. 2004..Moreover, potential regulation mechanisms and associated protein factors are emerging from recent data...
- Glycosyltransferases and their assaysGerd K Wagner
School of Pharmacy, University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Chembiochem 11:1939-49. 2010b>Glycosyltransferases (GTs) are a large family of enzymes that are essential in all domains of life for the biosynthesis of complex carbohydrates and glycoconjugates...
- The crystal structure of two macrolide glycosyltransferases provides a blueprint for host cell antibiotic immunityDavid N Bolam
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5336-41. 2007..The Streptomyces antibioticus glycosyltransferases, OleI and OleD, glycosylate and inactivate oleandomycin and diverse macrolides including erythromycin, ..
- Zebrafish models for human FKRP muscular dystrophiesGenri Kawahara
Division of Genetics, Program in Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:623-33. 2010..the defective glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan and are known to result from mutations in genes encoding glycosyltransferases. Fukutin-related protein (FKRP) was identified as a homolog of fukutin, the defective protein in Fukuyama-..
- Cellular and molecular biology of glycosphingolipid glycosylationHugo J F Maccioni
Centro de Investigaciones en Quimica Biologica de Cordoba, CIQUIBIC UNC CONICET, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
J Neurochem 117:589-602. 2011..oligosaccharides, particularly the mechanisms underlying the trafficking of glycosphingolipid glycosyltransferases from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi, those that promote their retention in the Golgi and those that ..
- A molecular-capsular-type prediction system for 90 Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes using partial cpsA-cpsB sequencing and wzy- or wzx-specific PCRFanrong Kong
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology (CIDM, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research (ICPMR, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
J Med Microbiol 54:351-6. 2005..Although further study of the relationship between MCT and CS is needed, this system now allows serotype or serogroup identification of 95 % of S. pneumoniae isolates...
- Glycosylation with heptose residues mediated by the aah gene product is essential for adherence of the AIDA-I adhesinI Benz
Institut für Infektiologie Zentrum für Molekularbiologie der Entzündung ZMBE, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Germany
Mol Microbiol 40:1403-13. 2001..Consequently, the ORF A gene has been denoted 'aah' (autotransporter-adhesin-heptosyltransferase). Glycosylation by heptoses represents a novel protein modification in eubacteria...
- N-glucosylation of cytokinins by glycosyltransferases of Arabidopsis thalianaBingkai Hou
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:47822-32. 2004..This study utilizes a screening strategy in which 105 recombinant glycosyltransferases (UGTs) of Arabidopsis have been analyzed for catalytic activity toward the classical cytokinins: trans-..
- A principal role for AtXTH18 in Arabidopsis thaliana root growth: a functional analysis using RNAi plantsYasue Osato
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8576, Japan
J Plant Res 119:153-62. 2006....
- Endo-xyloglucan transferase, a novel class of glycosyltransferase that catalyzes transfer of a segment of xyloglucan molecule to another xyloglucan moleculeK Nishitani
Department of Biology, College of Liberal Arts, Kagoshima University, Japan
J Biol Chem 267:21058-64. 1992....
- Enzymic characterization of two recombinant xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase (XTH) proteins of Arabidopsis and their effect on root growth and cell wall extensionAn Maris
Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium
J Exp Bot 60:3959-72. 2009..It is proposed that these specific XTH isoenzymes play a role in strengthening the side-walls of root-hairs and cell walls in the root differentiation zone after the completion of cell expansion...
- Glycosyltransferases: structures, functions, and mechanismsL L Lairson
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Annu Rev Biochem 77:521-55. 2008b>Glycosyltransferases catalyze glycosidic bond formation using sugar donors containing a nucleoside phosphate or a lipid phosphate leaving group...
- Predicted functions and linkage specificities of the products of the Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular biosynthetic lociDavid M Aanensen
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Room G22, Old Medical School Building, St Mary s Hospital, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 189:7856-76. 2007..proteins, enzymes for synthesis of CPS constituents, polymerases, flippases, initial sugar transferases, glycosyltransferases [GTs], phosphotransferases, acetyltransferases, and pyruvyltransferases)...
- An investigation of the role of transmembrane domains in Golgi protein retentionS Munro
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 14:4695-704. 1995..These observations are more consistent with lipid-based sorting of ST TMD, but they also allow for reconciliation with the kin recognition model which appears to act on sequences outside of the TMD...
- Glycosyltransferases in secondary plant metabolism: tranquilizers and stimulant controllersP Jones
Department of Horticulture, Viticulture and Oenology, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Planta 213:164-74. 2001..Recently, a range of glycosyltransferases has been characterized in detail with regard to substrate specificity...
- XTH acts at the microfibril-matrix interface during cell elongationKris Vissenberg
University of Antwerp Drie Eiken Campus, Department of Biology, Plant Physiology and Morphology, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Exp Bot 56:673-83. 2005..After incorporation of the fluorescent oligosaccharides, the xyloglucans decorate the cellulose microfibrils and become inaccessible to hydrolytic enzymes...
- Plant glycosyltransferasesK Keegstra
MSU DOE Plant Research Laboratory and Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, 48824, East Lansing, Michigan USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 4:219-24. 2001b>Glycosyltransferases are involved in the biosyntheses of cell-wall polysaccharides, the addition of N-linked glycans to glycoproteins, and the attachment of sugar moieties to various small molecules such as hormones and flavonoids...
- 454 EST analysis detects genes putatively involved in ginsenoside biosynthesis in Panax ginsengS Chen
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Haidian, Beijing 100193, China
Plant Cell Rep 30:1593-601. 2011..genes putatively responsible for modification of the skeletons, including 133 cytochrome P450s and 235 glycosyltransferases, were identified...
- Cell adhesion in Arabidopsis thaliana is mediated by ECTOPICALLY PARTING CELLS 1--a glycosyltransferase (GT64) related to the animal exostosinsSunil Kumar Singh
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, 901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant J 43:384-97. 2005Despite the fact that several hundred glycosyltransferases have been identified from sequencing of plant genomes, the biological functions of only a handful have been established to date...
- Quorum sensing modulation of a putative glycosyltransferase gene cluster essential for Xanthomonas campestris biofilm formationFei Tao
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore 138673
Environ Microbiol 12:3159-70. 2010..These results provide new insight into the molecular mechanisms by which Xcc switches between planktonic growth and biofilm lifestyle...
- A xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase involves in growth of primary root and alters the deposition of cellulose in ArabidopsisYa Bao Liu
Key Lab of MOE for Plant Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Planta 226:1547-60. 2007....
- Receptor quality control in the endoplasmic reticulum for plant innate immunityYusuke Saijo
Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Max Planck Institute für Züchtungforschung, Koln, Germany
EMBO J 28:3439-49. 2009..Our findings suggest a critical and selective function of N-glycosylation for different layers of plant immunity, likely through quality control of membrane-localized regulators...
- Identification and characterisation of F3GT1 and F3GGT1, two glycosyltransferases responsible for anthocyanin biosynthesis in red-fleshed kiwifruit (Actinidia chinensis)Mirco Montefiori
The New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research Ltd, Private Bag 92 169, Auckland, New Zealand
Plant J 65:106-18. 2011Much of the diversity of anthocyanins is due to the action of glycosyltransferases, which add sugar moieties to anthocyanidins...
- Congenital muscular dystrophies with defective glycosylation of dystroglycan: a population studyE Mercuri
Department of Child Neurology, Policlinico Gemelli, Largo Gemelli, 00168 Rome, Italy
Neurology 72:1802-9. 2009Congenital muscular dystrophies (CMD) with reduced glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan (alpha-DG) are a heterogeneous group of conditions associated with mutations in six genes encoding proven or putative glycosyltransferases.
- Recognition of synthetic O-methyl, epimeric, and amino analogues of the acceptor alpha-L-Fuc p-(1-->2)-beta-D-Gal p-OR by the blood-group A and B gene-specified glycosyltransferasesT L Lowary
Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Carbohydr Res 251:33-67. 1994The disaccharide alpha-L-Fuc p-(1-->2)-beta-D-Gal p-O-(CH2)7CH3 (6) is an acceptor for the glycosyltransferases responsible for the biosynthesis of the A and B blood-group antigens...
- Arabidopsis thaliana T-DNA mutants implicate GAUT genes in the biosynthesis of pectin and xylan in cell walls and seed testaKerry H Caffall
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Mol Plant 2:1000-14. 2009..Evidence is also presented to support a role for GAUT11 in seed mucilage expansion and in seed wall and mucilage composition...
- Genome sequence of the lignocellulose degrading fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium strain RP78Diego Martinez
US DOE Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, California 94598, USA
Nat Biotechnol 22:695-700. 2004..This genome provides a high quality draft sequence of a basidiomycete, a major fungal phylum that includes important plant and animal pathogens...
- Xyloglucan endo-transglycosylase-mediated xyloglucan rearrangements in developing wood of hybrid aspenNobuyuki Nishikubo
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, Umea Plant Science Center, SE 90183 Umea, Sweden
Plant Physiol 155:399-413. 2011..XET overexpression promoted vessel element growth but not fiber expansion. We suggest that the amount of nascent xyloglucan relative to XET is an important determinant of whether XET strengthens or loosens the cell wall...
- Biosynthesis of chondroitin sulfate: from the early, precursor discoveries to nowadays, genetics approachesMauro S G Pavão
Laboratório de Tecido Conjuntivo, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Instituto de Bioquímica Médica and Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Adv Pharmacol 53:117-40. 2006
- Developmental expression patterns of Arabidopsis XTH genes reported by transgenes and GenevestigatorJaime Becnel
Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005-1892, USA
Plant Mol Biol 61:451-67. 2006..Knowledge of gene-specific expression among family members yields evidence of where and when gene products may function and provides insights to guide rational approaches to investigate function through reverse genetics...
- Xyloglucan endotransglucosylase action is high in the root elongation zone and in the trichoblasts of all vascular plants from Selaginella to Zea maysK Vissenberg
Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Morphology, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp (UIA, Universiteitsplein 1, B-2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Exp Bot 54:335-44. 2003..Clearly XTH and its action in root development evolved before the evolutionary divergence of ferns and seed plants and also of the lycopodiophytes and euphyllophytes...
- Genetic analysis of genes controlling natural variation of seed coat and flower colors in soybeanKiwoung Yang
Bio Evaluation Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Cheongwon, Chungbuk 363 883, Republic of Korea
J Hered 101:757-68. 2010....
- The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclatureJocelyn K C Rose
Department of Plant Biology, 228 Plant Science Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1421-35. 2002....
- Characterization of a tomato xyloglucan endotransglycosylase gene that is down-regulated by auxin in etiolated hypocotylsC Catala
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 220 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602 4712, USA
Plant Physiol 127:1180-92. 2001..The opposite patterns of expression and differential auxin regulation of LeXET2 and LeEXT suggest that they encode XETs with distinct roles during plant growth and development...
- Functional identification of an Arabidopsis pectin biosynthetic homogalacturonan galacturonosyltransferaseJason D Sterling
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 315 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602-4712, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5236-41. 2006..The identification of GAUT1 as a HG GalAT and of the GAUT1-related gene family provides the genetic and biochemical tools required to study the function of these genes in pectin synthesis...
- X-ray crystal structures of rabbit N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I (GnT I) in complex with donor substrate analoguesRoni D Gordon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
J Mol Biol 360:67-79. 2006....
- The Arabidopsis irregular xylem8 mutant is deficient in glucuronoxylan and homogalacturonan, which are essential for secondary cell wall integrityStaffan Persson
Carnegie Institution, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Plant Cell 19:237-55. 2007....
- Comparison of five xylan synthesis mutants reveals new insight into the mechanisms of xylan synthesisDavid M Brown
Faculty of Life Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Plant J 52:1154-68. 2007..All five mutants, which have mutations in genes encoding putative glycosyltransferases, exhibited large decreases in xylan...
- A class of plant glycosyltransferases involved in cellular homeostasisEng-Kiat Lim
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, York, UK
EMBO J 23:2915-22. 2004..The glycosyltransferases involved in biotransformations of small molecules have been grouped into Family 1 of the 69 families that ..
- Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases: diversity of genes, enzymes and potential wall-modifying functionsP Campbell
Dept of Botany, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 1000, USA
Trends Plant Sci 4:361-6. 1999..Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases are encoded by large gene families, and in an attempt to clarify their physiological role, the diverse regulation of the genes and properties of the proteins are being determined...
- A census of carbohydrate-active enzymes in the genome of Arabidopsis thalianaB Henrissat
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR 6098, CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, France
Plant Mol Biol 47:55-72. 2001..and functional diversity of glycosides is mirrored by a vast array of enzymes involved in their synthesis (glycosyltransferases), modification (carbohydrate esterases) and breakdown (glycoside hydrolases and polysaccharide lyases)...
- A novel bioinformatics approach identifies candidate genes for the synthesis and feruloylation of arabinoxylanRowan A C Mitchell
Biomathematics and Bioinformatics Division, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 144:43-53. 2007....
- Engineering of glycosidases and glycosyltransferasesSusan M Hancock
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Curr Opin Chem Biol 10:509-19. 2006In recent years, substantial advances have been made in the engineering of glycosidases and glycosyltransferases for the synthesis and degradation of glycan structures...
- Mechanical effects of plant cell wall enzymes on cellulose/xyloglucan compositesElisabeth Chanliaud
Unilever Research Colworth, Colworth House, Sharnbrook, Bedford MK44 1LQ, UK
Plant J 38:27-37. 2004..Mechanical consequences of tXET action are shown to be complimentary to those of cucumber expansin...
- Golgi localization of glycosyltransferases requires a Vps74p oligomerKarl R Schmitz
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 14:523-34. 2008..All Golgi glycosyltransferases are type II membrane proteins with small cytosolic domains that contribute to Golgi localization...
- Combination of several bioinformatics approaches for the identification of new putative glycosyltransferases in ArabidopsisSara Fasmer Hansen
University of Grenoble, F 38041 Grenoble, France
J Proteome Res 8:743-53. 2009..Among them, 20 are considered as putative glycosyltransferases that should further be investigated since known GT signatures were clearly identified.
- Structural features of glycosyltransferases synthesizing major bilayer and nonbilayer-prone membrane lipids in Acholeplasma laidlawii and Streptococcus pneumoniaeMaria Edman
Department of Biochemistry, , Sweden
J Biol Chem 278:8420-8. 2003..used together with SWISS-MODEL to build three-dimensional model structures for three MGS and two DGS lipid glycosyltransferases. Two Escherichia coli proteins with known structures were identified as the best templates, the membrane ..
- Multi-protein complexes in the cis Golgi of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with alpha-1,6-mannosyltransferase activityJ Jungmann
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 17:423-34. 1998..we identify two new proteins in the Anp1p-Mnn9p-containing complex which have homology to known glycosyltransferases. Both protein complexes have alpha-1, 6-mannosyltransferase activity, forming a series of poly-mannose ..
- Construction of a rice glycosyltransferase phylogenomic database and identification of rice-diverged glycosyltransferasesPei Jian Cao
Department of Plant Pathology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Mol Plant 1:858-77. 2008b>Glycosyltransferases (GTs; EC 2.4.x.y) constitute a large group of enzymes that form glycosidic bonds through transfer of sugars from activated donor molecules to acceptor molecules...
- Golgi N-glycosyltransferases form both homo- and heterodimeric enzyme complexes in live cellsAntti Hassinen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu and the Glycoscience Graduate School Finland, PO Box 3000, Linnanmaa, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 285:17771-7. 2010..of this diversity between molecules, cells, and tissues is generated by Golgi-resident glycosidases and glycosyltransferases. However, their exact mode of functioning in glycan processing is currently unclear...
- Exploring genomes for glycosyltransferasesSara Fasmer Hansen
CERMAV CNRS, University of Grenoble, F 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Mol Biosyst 6:1773-81. 2010b>Glycosyltransferases are one of the largest and most diverse enzyme groups in Nature. They catalyse the synthesis of glycosidic linkages by the transfer of a sugar residue from a donor to an acceptor substrate...
- The in vitro characterization of polyene glycosyltransferases AmphDI and NysDIChangsheng Zhang
Laboratory for Biosynthetic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, UW National Cooperative Drug Discovery Group, Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
Chembiochem 9:2506-14. 2008The overproduction, purification, and in vitro characterization of the polyene glycosyltransferases (GTs) AmphDI and NysDI are reported...
- QUASIMODO1 encodes a putative membrane-bound glycosyltransferase required for normal pectin synthesis and cell adhesion in ArabidopsisSophie Bouton
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Centre de Versailles Grignon, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Cell 14:2577-90. 2002..The mutant phenotype is consistent with a central role for pectins in cell adhesion...
- Optimizing glycosyltransferase specificity via "hot spot" saturation mutagenesis presents a catalyst for novobiocin glycorandomizationGavin J Williams
Laboratory for Biosynthetic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, National Cooperative Drug Discovery Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Chem Biol 15:393-401. 2008..Incredibly, even in the absence of a high-throughput screen for novobiocic acid glycosylation, this approach rapidly led to improvements in the desired catalytic activity of several hundred-fold...
- Single amino acid mutations of Medicago glycosyltransferase UGT85H2 enhance activity and impart reversibilityLuzia V Modolo
Plant Biology Division, Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK 73401, USA
FEBS Lett 583:2131-5. 2009..More interestingly, this single mutation (V200E) conferred reversibility in the glycosyltransfer reaction, indicating that Glu200 is a key determinant for the deglycosylation function...
- In vitro activities of four xyloglucan endotransglycosylases from ArabidopsisP Campbell
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005 1892, USA
Plant J 18:371-82. 1999..Subtle differences in biochemical activities may influence the physiological functions of the distinct XETs in vivo...
- Expression patterns of cell wall-modifying genes from banana during fruit ripening and in relationship with finger dropD Mbéguié-A-Mbéguié
CIRAD, UMR QUALITROP, F 97130 Capesterre Belle Eau, Guadeloupe France
J Exp Bot 60:2021-34. 2009..These findings also led to the proposal of a sequence of molecular events leading to finger drop and to suggest some candidates...
- ABO glycosyltransferases as potential source of minor histocompatibility antigens in allogeneic peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantationBritta Eiz-Vesper
Department of Transfusion Medicine, Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany
Transfusion 45:960-8. 2005..the fact that different genotypes hide behind identical phenotypes that encode for different sets of glycosyltransferases, thus providing a source for minor histocompatibility antigens (mHags)...
- Improvement of glycosylation in insect cells with mammalian glycosyltransferasesGeen Dong -hang
Graduate Institute of Biochemical Sciences, National Taiwan University, Taipei 106, Taiwan
J Biotechnol 102:61-71. 2003..two insect cell lines, Sf9 and Ea4, the human alpha1-antitrypsin (halpha1AT) protein with a series of key glycosyltransferases, including GlcNAc transferase II (GnT2), beta1,4-galactosyltransferase (beta14GT), and alpha2,6-..
- Enzymatic properties of native and deglycosylated hybrid aspen (Populus tremulaxtremuloides) xyloglucan endotransglycosylase 16A expressed in Pichia pastorisAsa M Kallas
Department of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology, AlbaNova University Centre, SE-10691 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem J 390:105-13. 2005..Hydrolytic activity was detected neither in wild-type PttXET16A before or after enzymatic deglycosylation nor in PttXET16A N93S (Asn93-->Ser) mutant...
- N-linked glycosylation of native and recombinant cauliflower xyloglucan endotransglycosylase 16AHongbin Henriksson
Department of Biotechnology, Royal Institute of Technology (KTH, AlbaNova University Centre, 106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Biochem J 375:61-73. 2003..No hydrolytic activity was detected in native or heterologously expressed BobXET16A, even when almost completely deglycosylated...
- Synthesis of GDP-5-thiosugars and their use as glycosyl donor substrates for glycosyltransferasesOsamu Tsuruta
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8501, Japan
J Org Chem 68:6400-6. 2003..These findings for GDP-5-thiosugars together with previous demonstrations of enzymatic transfer from UDP-5-thiosugars will allow the production of panels of oligosaccharide analogues with hydrolase-resistant properties...
- Peptidoglycan degradation by specialized lytic transglycosylases associated with type III and type IV secretion systemsDoris Zahrl
, , , A-8010 Graz, Austria
Microbiology 151:3455-67. 2005..IpgF-catalysed peptidoglycan degradation was optimal at pH 6 and was inhibited by the lytic transglycosylase inhibitors hexa-N-acetylchitohexaose and bulgecin A...
- The mitochondria-associated endoplasmic-reticulum subcompartment (MAM fraction) of rat liver contains highly active sphingolipid-specific glycosyltransferasesDominique Ardail
INSERM U 189, Department of Biochemistry, Lyon-Sud Medical School, B.P.12, 69921 Oullins Cedex, France
Biochem J 371:1013-9. 2003..of the fraction with exogenous unlabelled G(M3), underlying the presence of other sphingolipid-specific glycosyltransferases in MAM...
- Plant glycosyltransferases: their potential as novel biocatalystsEng Kiat Lim
Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK
Chemistry 11:5486-94. 2005The potential application of glycosyltransferases in glycoconjugate synthesis has attracted considerable interest from the biotechnology community in recent years...
- Murine glycosyltransferases responsible for the expression of globo-series glycolipids: cDNA structures, mRNA expression, and distribution of their productsYuko Fujii
Department of Clinical Immunology, Nagoya University School of Medicine, 65 Tsurumai, Showa Ku, Nagoya 466 0065, Japan
Glycobiology 15:1257-67. 2005..In this study, murine cDNAs of two glycosyltransferases responsible for the synthesis of globo-series glycolipids and mRNA expression of those genes were analyzed...
- Biosynthetic gene cluster of the glycopeptide antibiotic teicoplanin: characterization of two glycosyltransferases and the key acyltransferaseTsung-Lin Li
Department of Chemistry, University of Cambridge, Lensfield Road, Cambridge CB2 1EW, United Kingdom
Chem Biol 11:107-19. 2004..Two ORFs, designated orfs 1 and 10*, showed significant homology to known glycosyltransferases. When heterologously expressed in Escherichia coli, these glycosyltransferases were shown to catalyze the ..
- Organization of Golgi glycosyltransferases in membranes: complexity via complexesW W Young
Department of Molecular, Cellular, and Craniofacial Biology, School of Dentistry, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
J Membr Biol 198:1-13. 2004
- Determination of substrate specificity of sulfotransferases and glycosyltransferases (proteoglycans)Hiroko Habuchi
Institute for Molecular Science of Medicine, Aichi Medical University, Nagakute, Japan
Methods Enzymol 416:225-43. 2006..Many glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases are involved in biosynthesis of the polysaccharides...
- Structural and functional features of glycosyltransferasesC Breton
Centre de Recherches sur les Macromolecules Vegetales, Uniiversity Joseph Fourier, CNRS, BP 53, 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Biochimie 83:713-8. 2001..deals with the most recent data that provide insight into the functional organization of Golgi-resident glycosyltransferases. We also focus on the recent successes in X-ray crystal structure determination of glycosyltransferases...
- Different glycosyltransferases are involved in lipid glycosylation and protein N-glycosylation in the halophilic archaeon Haloferax volcaniiShai Naparstek
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University, PO Box 653, 84105 Beersheva, Israel
Arch Microbiol 192:581-4. 2010..Recent efforts have identified glycosyltransferases involved in N-glycosylation of the surface-layer glycoprotein of the halophilic archaeon Haloferax volcanii...
- Role of glycans and glycosyltransferases in the regulation of Notch signalingHamed Jafar-Nejad
Brown Foundation Institute of Molecular Medicine IMM
Glycobiology 20:931-49. 2010..nucleotide-sugar transporters to Notch biology and the roles-enzymatic and non-enzymatic-played by specific glycosyltransferases in the regulation of this pathway...
- ZmXTH1, a new xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase in maize, affects cell wall structure and composition in Arabidopsis thalianaValeria Genovesi
Laboratori de Genètica Molecular Vegetal, Consorci CSIC IRTA, Jordi Girona 18 26, E 08034 Barcelona, Spain
J Exp Bot 59:875-89. 2008..Finally, Arabidopsis thaliana plants expressing ZmXTH1 show slightly increased xyloglucan endohydrolase activity and alterations in the cell wall structure and composition...
- Xyloglucan for generating tensile stress to bend tree stemKei ichi Baba
Kyoto University, RISH, Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611 0011, Japan
Mol Plant 2:893-903. 2009..We propose that the xyloglucan network is reinforced by XET to form a further connection between wall-bound and secreted xyloglucans in order to withstand the tensile stress created within the cellulose G-layer microfibrils...
- Escherichia coli K-12 Suppressor-free Mutants Lacking Early Glycosyltransferases and Late Acyltransferases: minimal lipopolysaccharide structure and induction of envelope stress responseGracjana Klein
Research Center Borstel, Leibniz Center for Medicine and Biosciences, Parkallee 22, D 23845 Borstel, Germany
J Biol Chem 284:15369-89. 2009..This suppression could be alleviated by overexpression of certain mutant msbA alleles or the single-copy chromosomal MsbA-498V variant in the vicinity of Walker-box II...
- Tumor necrosis factor alpha increases the expression of glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases responsible for the biosynthesis of sialylated and/or sulfated Lewis x epitopes in the human bronchial mucosaPhilippe Delmotte
, 59045 Lille Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 277:424-31. 2002..However, other cytokines may also be involved in this process...
- Complete chemoenzymatic synthesis of the Forssman antigen using novel glycosyltransferases identified in Campylobacter jejuni and Pasteurella multocidaR Scott Houliston
Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0R6, Canada
Glycobiology 19:153-9. 2009..The genes encoding the three enzymes were cloned and expressed in Escherichia coli as soluble recombinant proteins that can be used to chemoenzymatically synthesize the Forssman antigen, and its biosynthetic precursors, in high yields...
- Bovine alpha1,3-galactosyltransferase catalytic domain structure and its relationship with ABO histo-blood group and glycosphingolipid glycosyltransferasesL N Gastinel
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques AFMB, UMR 6098, CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
EMBO J 20:638-49. 2001..a narrow cleft on one face, and shares a UDP-binding domain (UBD) with the recently solved inverting glycosyltransferases. The substrate-bound complex, solved and refined to 2...
- Different glycosyltransferases are differentially processed for secretion, dimerization, and autoglycosylationAssou El-Battari
, 27 Bd. J. Moulin, 13385 Marseille Cedex 5, France
Glycobiology 13:941-53. 2003Modification of Golgi glycosyltransferases, such as formation of disulfide-bonded dimers and proteolytical release from cells as a soluble form, are important processes to regulate the activity of glycosyltransferases...
- Clinical relevance and diversity of two homologous genes encoding glycosyltransferases in Helicobacter pyloriMonica Oleastro
Departamento de Doenças Infecciosas, Instituto Nacional Saúde Dr Ricardo Jorge, Lisbon, Portugal
J Clin Microbiol 48:2885-91. 2010..Overall, the results of this study suggest that the jhp0562 gene is of great clinical relevance, being a useful comarker for severe H. pylori-related disease and contributing to host adaptation...
- Lactobacillus helveticus glycosyltransferases: from genes to carbohydrate synthesisLaure Jolly
, Vers-chez-les-Blanc, CH-1000 Lausanne 26, Switzerland
Glycobiology 12:319-27. 2002..Finally, EpsI would add a beta(1,6)-Galp linkage onto alpha-Glcp terminating the sidechain and EpsJ would terminate the synthesis of the polysaccharides' repeating unit by forming a beta(1,3)-Galp linkage onto alpha-Galp...
- Towards glycoengineering in archaea: replacement of Haloferax volcanii AglD with homologous glycosyltransferases from other halophilic archaeaDoron Calo
Department of Life Sciences, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, P O Box 653, Beersheva 84105, Israel
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:5684-92. 2010..Thus, at least one AglD homologue works more readily in Hfx. volcanii than in the native host. These results warrant the continued assessment of Hfx. volcanii as a glycosylation "workshop."..
- Neobiosynthesis of glycosphingolipids by plasma membrane-associated glycosyltransferasesPilar M Crespo
Centro de Investigaciones en Química Biológica de Córdoba CIQUIBIC, UNC CONICET, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Córdoba X5000HUA, Argentina
J Biol Chem 285:29179-90. 2010..In this work, we demonstrated that ecto-ganglioside glycosyltransferases may catalyze ganglioside synthesis outside the Golgi compartment, particularly at the cell surface...
- Eukaryotic glycosyltransferases: cysteines and disulfidesScott Thomas
Glycobiology 12:4G-7G. 2002Significant progress has been made in discovering and cloning a host of eukaryotic glycosyltransferases, demonstrating the intricacy and complexity of protein and lipid glycosylation...
- Emerging paradigms for the initiation of mucin-type protein O-glycosylation by the polypeptide GalNAc transferase family of glycosyltransferasesThomas A Gerken
Department of Pediatrics W A Bernbaum Center for Cystic Fibrosis Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 286:14493-507. 2011..We conclude that each ppGalNAc T isoform may be uniquely sensitive to peptide sequence and overall charge, which together dictates the substrate sites that will be glycosylated...
- Biochemistry of the initial steps of mycothiol biosynthesisGerald L Newton
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California, La Jolla, California 92093, USA
J Biol Chem 281:33910-20. 2006..This demonstrates the presence of a myo-inositol transporter and a kinase that generates 1L-myo-inositol 1-phosphate. The biochemical pathway of mycothiol biosynthesis is now fully elucidated...
- The putative tumor suppressors EXT1 and EXT2 are glycosyltransferases required for the biosynthesis of heparan sulfateT Lind
Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, The Biomedical Center, Box 575, S 751 23 Uppsala, Sweden
J Biol Chem 273:26265-8. 1998..Thus at least two members of the EXT family of tumor suppressors encode glycosyltransferases involved in the chain elongation step of HS biosynthesis.
- Fringe glycosyltransferases differentially modulate Notch1 proteolysis induced by Delta1 and Jagged1Liang Tung Yang
Department of Biological Chemistry, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1737, USA
Mol Biol Cell 16:927-42. 2005..RFng enhanced signaling induced by either Delta1 or Jagged1, underscoring the diversity of mammalian fringe glycosyltransferases in regulating signaling downstream of different ligand-receptor combinations...
- Glycoside hydrolases and glycosyltransferases: families and functional modulesY Bourne
, UMR6098, , Marseille, France
Curr Opin Struct Biol 11:593-600. 2001..year has witnessed the expected increase in the number of solved structures of glycoside hydrolases and glycosyltransferases, and their constitutive modules...
- Dynamic expression and essential functions of Hes7 in somite segmentationY Bessho
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606 8507, Japan
Genes Dev 15:2642-7. 2001..These results indicate that Hes7 controls the cyclic expression of lunatic fringe and is essential for coordinated somite segmentation...
- Biochemical characterization of a glycosyltransferase homolog from an oral pathogen Fusobacterium nucleatum as a human glycan-modifying enzymeSeonghun Kim
Omics and Integration Research Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology KRIBB, Daejeon, 305 806, Korea
J Microbiol Biotechnol 18:859-65. 2008Bacterial glycosyltransferases have drawn growing attention as economical enzymes for oligosaccharide synthesis, with their easy expression and relatively broad substrate specificity...
- A genetic and structural analysis of the N-glycosylation capabilitiesRenaud Leonard
Department für Chemie, Universität für Bodenkultur, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
Plant Mol Biol 55:631-44. 2004..2.38) and successfully expressed them in Pichia pastoris. Rice GlcNAc-TI, FucTA and xylosyltransferase are therefore the first monocotyledon glycosyltransferases involved in N-glycan biosynthesis to be characterised in a recombinant form.
- Highly efficient chemoenzymatic synthesis of novel branched thiooligosaccharides by substrate direction with glucansucrasesHendrik Hellmuth
Technical Chemistry, Department for Carbohydrate Technology, Technical University Braunschweig, Hans-Sommer Strasse 10, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Chembiochem 8:273-6. 2007
- Functional characterization of the Hansenula polymorpha HOC1, OCH1, and OCR1 genes as members of the yeast OCH1 mannosyltransferase family involved in protein glycosylationMoo Woong Kim
Metabolic Engineering Laboratory, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Daejeon 305-600, Korea
J Biol Chem 281:6261-72. 2006....
- Cell wall synthesis enzymes and beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faeciumLouis B Rice; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a class B Pbp with only transpeptidase activity, Pbp5 must coordinate its activities with that of glycosyltransferases to synthesize mature peptidoglycan...
- Investigation on Oligosaccharides as Antimicrobial and PrebioticsPeng George Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..the natural carbohydrate biosynthetic pathway where oligosaccharides are assembled together by specific glycosyltransferases using individual sugar nucleotides as building blocks...
- Investigation on Oligosaccharides as Antimicrobial and PrebioticsPeng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..the natural carbohydrate biosynthetic pathway where oligosaccharides are assembled together by specific glycosyltransferases using individual sugar nucleotides as building blocks...
- LIPID A MODIFICATION SYSTEMS IN GRAM-NEGATIVE BACTERIACHRISTIAN R RAETZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..the coming grant period will be: 1) the purification and characterization of the lipid A phosphatases and glycosyltransferases of F. novicida;2) the biochemical and genetic analysis of LPS core assembly enzymes of F...
- LIPID A MODIFICATION SYSTEMS IN GRAM-NEGATIVE BACTERIACHRISTIAN RAETZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..the coming grant period will be: 1) the purification and characterization of the lipid A phosphatases and glycosyltransferases of F. novicida; 2) the biochemical and genetic analysis of LPS core assembly enzymes of F...
- HTS assay development for inhibitors of sickle cellPAUL FRENETTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..The synthesis of selectin ligands requires the expression of several glycosyltransferases that modify the carbohydrate composition of specific polypeptide or lipid, allowing high-affinity selectin ..
- O-Glycans on Mucins at the Ocular SurfacePABLO ARGUESO; Fiscal Year: 2007..B. Identify and localize glycosyltransferases (sialyltransferases) responsible for their biosynthesis. C...
- Structure and function of family 1 glycosyltransferasesR Garavito; Fiscal Year: 2006NDP-sugar glycosyltransferases are critical for the biosynthesis of all complex carbohydrates and glycoconjugates...
- MECHANISMS OF POLYSACCHARIDE SYNTHESIS BY S. PNEUMONIAEJanet Yother; Fiscal Year: 2005..The type 3 synthase is a member of a family of glycosyltransferases that includes the streptococcal and eukaryotic hyaluronan synthases, chitin synthases, and cellulose ..
- NUCLEOTIDE DONORS AFFECTING GLYCOSYLATION PATHWAYSAjit Varki; Fiscal Year: 2003All living cells synthesize glycan chains. The process of glycosylation is catalyzed by highly specific glycosyltransferases that require specific sugar nucleotide donors...
- MANNOPROTEIN BIOSYNTHESIS IN SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAEAnnette Herscovics; Fiscal Year: 1991..transfer, the oligosaccharide undergoes processing which requires the concern action of glycosidases at glycosyltransferases. We propose to continue our studies on the early stages of carbohydrate processing in Saccharomyces ..
- TRANSIENT GLUCOSYLATION OF GLYCOPROTEINSArmando Parodi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nucleoside diphosphates generated by glycosyltransferases in the secretory pathway must be converted into monophosphates to relieve inhibition of the transferring ..
- Oligosaccharide moieties of human milk glycans that inhibit pathogensDAVID NEWBURG; Fiscal Year: 2009..These complex carbohydrate moieties are synthesized by the many glycosyltransferases in the mammary gland; those glycans with homology to cell surface glycoconjugate pathogen receptors may ..
- Oligosaccharide moieties of human milk glycans that inhibit pathogensDavid S Newburg; Fiscal Year: 2010..These complex carbohydrate moieties are synthesized by the many glycosyltransferases in the mammary gland;those glycans with homology to cell surface glycoconjugate pathogen receptors may ..
- An Untested Approach: Biomarkers for Colon CancerKhushi Matta; Fiscal Year: 2007..structures of cancer-associated glycans are driven by fundamental changes in the cellular expression of the glycosyltransferases involved in their biosynthesis...
- MECHANISTIC STUDIES OF PROKARYOTIC MANNOSYLTRANSFERASESJON THORSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..target (proteins, cell walls and/or antibiotics) occur due primarily to the restricted availability of glycosyltransferases and their nucleotide diphosphate sugar substrates...
- SYSTEMATIC STUDY OF THREE TYPES OF GLYCOSYLTRANSFERASESKhushi Matta; Fiscal Year: 2005..Relatively little is known of the precise substrate specificities of the glycosyltransferases that can modify this moiety...
- CYTOPLASMIC FUCOSYLATIONChristopher West; Fiscal Year: 1993..a model that FP21 is synthesized and accumulates in the cytoplasm, and that it is glycosylated by resident glycosyltransferases, which are synthesized there, from cytoplasmic pools of sugar nucleotides...
- RECEPTOR TOPOGRAPHY IN MICROVASCULAR LEUKOCYTE ADHESIONUlrich von Andrian; Fiscal Year: 2005..the venular topography of lymphocyte traffic molecules involved in L-selectin-mediated rolling (glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases, subaim 1.1) and subsequent integrin-dependent arrest (ICAM-l and -2)...
- The Development of a Refrigerated Platelet ProductHANS WANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2007..the enzymatic modification of platelet surface proteins can be achieved without the addition of exogenous glycosyltransferases by the simple addition of the donor substrates UDP-galactose and CMP-sialic acid...
- COMPLEMENT ACTIVATION BY ANTIBODY N-GLYCANSFRANK WAXMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Experiments using glycosyltransferases and glycosidases to probe N-glycan accessibility supported this hypothesis...