Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze the transfer of glycosyl groups to an acceptor. Most often another carbohydrate molecule acts as an acceptor, but inorganic phosphate can also act as an acceptor, such as in the case of PHOSPHORYLASES. Some of the enzymes in this group also catalyze hydrolysis, which can be regarded as transfer of a glycosyl group from the donor to water. Subclasses include the HEXOSYLTRANSFERASES; PENTOSYLTRANSFERASES; SIALYLTRANSFERASES; and those transferring other glycosyl groups. EC 2.4.
Publications279 found, 100 shown here
- Glycosyltransferases: structures, functions, and mechanismsL L Lairson
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Annu Rev Biochem 77:521-55. 2008b>Glycosyltransferases catalyze glycosidic bond formation using sugar donors containing a nucleoside phosphate or a lipid phosphate leaving group...
- Characterization of IRX10 and IRX10-like reveals an essential role in glucuronoxylan biosynthesis in ArabidopsisDavid M Brown
Faculty of Life Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Plant J 57:732-46. 2009Xylan, the major hemicellulosic polysaccharide in Arabidopsis secondary cell walls, requires a number of glycosyltransferases (GT) to catalyse formation of the various glycosidic linkages found in the polymer...
- Comparison of five xylan synthesis mutants reveals new insight into the mechanisms of xylan synthesisDavid M Brown
Faculty of Life Science, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PT, UK
Plant J 52:1154-68. 2007..All five mutants, which have mutations in genes encoding putative glycosyltransferases, exhibited large decreases in xylan...
- Growth of the plant cell wallDaniel J Cosgrove
Department of Biology, 208 Mueller Laboratory, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 6:850-61. 2005..Recent discoveries have uncovered how plant cells synthesize wall polysaccharides, assemble them into a strong fibrous network and regulate wall expansion during cell growth...
- The Arabidopsis IRX10 and IRX10-LIKE glycosyltransferases are critical for glucuronoxylan biosynthesis during secondary cell wall formationAi Min Wu
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, SE 901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant J 57:718-31. 2009..This contrasts with the proposed function of the tobacco NpGUT1, which is closely related to the Arabidopsis IRX10 and IRX10-L proteins, in rhamnogalacturonan II biosynthesis...
- N-glucosylation of cytokinins by glycosyltransferases of Arabidopsis thalianaBingkai Hou
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 279:47822-32. 2004..This study utilizes a screening strategy in which 105 recombinant glycosyltransferases (UGTs) of Arabidopsis have been analyzed for catalytic activity toward the classical cytokinins: trans-..
- Recycling of golgi-resident glycosyltransferases through the ER reveals a novel pathway and provides an explanation for nocodazole-induced Golgi scatteringB Storrie
Department of Biochemistry, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061 0308, USA
J Cell Biol 143:1505-21. 1998..In conclusion, we have shown that Golgi-resident glycosylation enzymes recycle through the ER and that this novel pathway is the likely explanation for the nocodazole-induced Golgi scattering observed in interphase cells...
- Identification and characterisation of F3GT1 and F3GGT1, two glycosyltransferases responsible for anthocyanin biosynthesis in red-fleshed kiwifruit (Actinidia chinensis)Mirco Montefiori
The New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research Ltd, Private Bag 92 169, Auckland, New Zealand
Plant J 65:106-18. 2011Much of the diversity of anthocyanins is due to the action of glycosyltransferases, which add sugar moieties to anthocyanidins...
- Glycosyltransferases in secondary plant metabolism: tranquilizers and stimulant controllersP Jones
Department of Horticulture, Viticulture and Oenology, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Planta 213:164-74. 2001..Recently, a range of glycosyltransferases has been characterized in detail with regard to substrate specificity...
- Xyloglucan endo-transglycosylase (XET) functions in gelatinous layers of tension wood fibers in poplar--a glimpse into the mechanism of the balancing act of treesNobuyuki Nishikubo
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, Umea Plant Science Center, SLU, S901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant Cell Physiol 48:843-55. 2007..Surprisingly, XTH gene products and XET activity persisted in mature G-fibers for several years, suggesting that the enzyme functions after cell death repairing the cross-links as they are being broken during the shrinking process...
- Glycosyltransferases and cell wall biosynthesis: novel players and insightsWolf Rüdiger Scheible
Max Planck Institute for Molecular Plant Physiology, Am Muhlenberg 1, 14476 Golm, Germany
Curr Opin Plant Biol 7:285-95. 2004..Moreover, potential regulation mechanisms and associated protein factors are emerging from recent data...
- Evolution and function of the plant cell wall synthesis-related glycosyltransferase family 8Yanbin Yin
Computational Systems Biology Laboratory and Institute of Bioinformatics, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
Plant Physiol 153:1729-46. 2010....
- Plant glycosyltransferasesK Keegstra
MSU DOE Plant Research Laboratory and Department of Biochemistry, Michigan State University, 48824, East Lansing, Michigan USA
Curr Opin Plant Biol 4:219-24. 2001b>Glycosyltransferases are involved in the biosyntheses of cell-wall polysaccharides, the addition of N-linked glycans to glycoproteins, and the attachment of sugar moieties to various small molecules such as hormones and flavonoids...
- The poplar glycosyltransferase GT47C is functionally conserved with Arabidopsis Fragile fiber8Gong Ke Zhou
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 47:1229-40. 2006..Together, these results suggest that PoGT47C is functionally conserved with FRA8 and it is probably involved in xylan synthesis during wood formation...
- The ability of land plants to synthesize glucuronoxylans predates the evolution of tracheophytesAmeya R Kulkarni
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center and US Department of Energy Bioenergy Science Center, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Glycobiology 22:439-51. 2012..patens genome contains genes with high sequence similarity to Arabidopsis CAZy family GT8, GT43 and GT47 glycosyltransferases that are likely involved in xylan synthesis...
- Putative glycosyltransferases and other plant Golgi apparatus proteins are revealed by LOPIT proteomicsNino Nikolovski
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 1QW, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 160:1037-51. 2012..Other newly identified proteins are likely to be involved in the transport and interconversion of nucleotide sugar substrates as well as polysaccharide and protein modification...
- Down-regulation of glycosyltransferase 8D genes in Populus trichocarpa caused reduced mechanical strength and xylan content in woodQuanzi Li
Forest Biotechnology Group, Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources, North Carolina State University, 840 Main Campus Drive, Raleigh, NC 27695, USA
Tree Physiol 31:226-36. 2011..These results suggest that PtrGT8Ds play key roles in xylan biosynthesis in wood. Xylan may be a more important factor than lignin affecting the stiffness and fracture strength of wood...
- An evolutionary view of functional diversity in family 1 glycosyltransferasesKeiko Yonekura-Sakakibara
RIKEN Plant Science Center, 1 7 22 Suehiro cho, Yokohama 230 0045, Japan
Plant J 66:182-93. 2011b>Glycosyltransferases (GTs) (EC 2.4.x...
- Glycosyltransferases and their assaysGerd K Wagner
School of Pharmacy, University of East Anglia, Norwich, NR4 7TJ, UK
Chembiochem 11:1939-49. 2010b>Glycosyltransferases (GTs) are a large family of enzymes that are essential in all domains of life for the biosynthesis of complex carbohydrates and glycoconjugates...
- Zebrafish models for human FKRP muscular dystrophiesGenri Kawahara
Division of Genetics, Program in Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA, USA
Hum Mol Genet 19:623-33. 2010..the defective glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan and are known to result from mutations in genes encoding glycosyltransferases. Fukutin-related protein (FKRP) was identified as a homolog of fukutin, the defective protein in Fukuyama-..
- Cellular and molecular biology of glycosphingolipid glycosylationHugo J F Maccioni
Centro de Investigaciones en Quimica Biologica de Cordoba, CIQUIBIC UNC CONICET, Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Cordoba, Cordoba, Argentina
J Neurochem 117:589-602. 2011..oligosaccharides, particularly the mechanisms underlying the trafficking of glycosphingolipid glycosyltransferases from the endoplasmic reticulum to the Golgi, those that promote their retention in the Golgi and those that ..
- A molecular-capsular-type prediction system for 90 Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes using partial cpsA-cpsB sequencing and wzy- or wzx-specific PCRFanrong Kong
Centre for Infectious Diseases and Microbiology CIDM, Institute of Clinical Pathology and Medical Research ICPMR, Westmead, NSW 2145, Australia
J Med Microbiol 54:351-6. 2005..Although further study of the relationship between MCT and CS is needed, this system now allows serotype or serogroup identification of 95 % of S. pneumoniae isolates...
- The poplar GT8E and GT8F glycosyltransferases are functional orthologs of Arabidopsis PARVUS involved in glucuronoxylan biosynthesisChanhui Lee
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 50:1982-7. 2009The poplar GT8E and GT8F glycosyltransferases have previously been shown to be associated with wood formation, but their roles in the biosynthesis of wood components are not known...
- The PARVUS gene is expressed in cells undergoing secondary wall thickening and is essential for glucuronoxylan biosynthesisChanhui Lee
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 48:1659-72. 2007..So far, three Arabidopsis glycosyltransferases, FRAGILE FIBER8, IRREGULAR XYLEM8 and IRREGULAR XYLEM9, have been implicated in glucuronoxylan (GX) ..
- Molecular characterization of PoGT8D and PoGT43B, two secondary wall-associated glycosyltransferases in poplarGong Ke Zhou
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 48:689-99. 2007..Here, we report the molecular characterization of two genes, PoGT8D and PoGT43B, which encode putative glycosyltransferases, in the hybrid poplar Populus alba x tremula...
- A class of plant glycosyltransferases involved in cellular homeostasisEng Kiat Lim
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, York, UK
EMBO J 23:2915-22. 2004..The glycosyltransferases involved in biotransformations of small molecules have been grouped into Family 1 of the 69 families that ..
- Congenital muscular dystrophies with defective glycosylation of dystroglycan: a population studyE Mercuri
Department of Child Neurology, Policlinico Gemelli, Largo Gemelli, 00168 Rome, Italy
Neurology 72:1802-9. 2009Congenital muscular dystrophies (CMD) with reduced glycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan (alpha-DG) are a heterogeneous group of conditions associated with mutations in six genes encoding proven or putative glycosyltransferases.
- Constitutive expression of abiotic stress-inducible hot pepper CaXTH3, which encodes a xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase homolog, improves drought and salt tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis plantsSeok Keun Cho
Department of Biology, College of Science, Yonsei University, Seoul 120 749, Republic of Korea
FEBS Lett 580:3136-44. 2006....
- Phase variation controls expression of Salmonella lipopolysaccharide modification genes by a DNA methylation-dependent mechanismS E Broadbent
Centre for Immunology and Infection, Hull York Medical School and the Department of Biology, University of York, York, UK
Mol Microbiol 77:337-53. 2010..Most Salmonella gtr operons share the key regulatory elements that are identified here as essential for this epigenetic phase variation...
- Glycosyltransferases: managers of small moleculesDianna Bowles
Centre for Novel Agricultural Products CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK
Curr Opin Plant Biol 8:254-63. 2005Studies of the glycosyltransferases (GTs) of small molecules have greatly increased in recent years as new approaches have been used to identify their genes and characterize their catalytic activities...
- Glycosylation with heptose residues mediated by the aah gene product is essential for adherence of the AIDA-I adhesinI Benz
Institut für Infektiologie Zentrum für Molekularbiologie der Entzündung ZMBE, Universitatsklinikum Munster, Germany
Mol Microbiol 40:1403-13. 2001..Consequently, the ORF A gene has been denoted 'aah' (autotransporter-adhesin-heptosyltransferase). Glycosylation by heptoses represents a novel protein modification in eubacteria...
- Endo-xyloglucan transferase, a novel class of glycosyltransferase that catalyzes transfer of a segment of xyloglucan molecule to another xyloglucan moleculeK Nishitani
Department of Biology, College of Liberal Arts, Kagoshima University, Japan
J Biol Chem 267:21058-64. 1992....
- A principal role for AtXTH18 in Arabidopsis thaliana root growth: a functional analysis using RNAi plantsYasue Osato
Graduate School of Life Sciences, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8576, Japan
J Plant Res 119:153-62. 2006....
- Muscular dystrophy and neuronal migration disorder caused by mutations in a glycosyltransferase, POMGnT1A Yoshida
Central Laboratories for Key Technology, Kirin Brewery Co, Ltd, Kanazawa Ku, 236 0004, Yokohama, Japan
Dev Cell 1:717-24. 2001..These findings suggest that interference in O-mannosyl glycosylation is a new pathomechanism for muscular dystrophy as well as neuronal migration disorder...
- Receptor quality control in the endoplasmic reticulum for plant innate immunityYusuke Saijo
Department of Plant Microbe Interactions, Max Planck Institute für Züchtungforschung, Koln, Germany
EMBO J 28:3439-49. 2009..Our findings suggest a critical and selective function of N-glycosylation for different layers of plant immunity, likely through quality control of membrane-localized regulators...
- Selectins and glycosyltransferases in leukocyte rolling in vivoMarkus Sperandio
University Children s Hospital Heidelberg, Division of Neonatal Medicine, University of Heidelberg, Germany
FEBS J 273:4377-89. 2006..Several glycosyltransferases, such as core 2 beta1,6-N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase-I, beta1,4-galactosyltransferases, alpha1,3-..
- The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclatureJocelyn K C Rose
Department of Plant Biology, 228 Plant Science Building, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1421-35. 2002....
- Down-regulation of PoGT47C expression in poplar results in a reduced glucuronoxylan content and an increased wood digestibility by cellulaseChanhui Lee
Department of Plant Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Plant Cell Physiol 50:1075-89. 2009..Although several glycosyltransferases are implicated in glucuronoxylan (GX) biosynthesis in Arabidopsis, whether their close orthologs in woody ..
- XTH acts at the microfibril-matrix interface during cell elongationKris Vissenberg
University of Antwerp Drie Eiken Campus, Department of Biology, Plant Physiology and Morphology, Universiteitsplein 1, 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Exp Bot 56:673-83. 2005..After incorporation of the fluorescent oligosaccharides, the xyloglucans decorate the cellulose microfibrils and become inaccessible to hydrolytic enzymes...
- An investigation of the role of transmembrane domains in Golgi protein retentionS Munro
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 14:4695-704. 1995..These observations are more consistent with lipid-based sorting of ST TMD, but they also allow for reconciliation with the kin recognition model which appears to act on sequences outside of the TMD...
- Predicted functions and linkage specificities of the products of the Streptococcus pneumoniae capsular biosynthetic lociDavid M Aanensen
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, Room G22, Old Medical School Building, St Mary s Hospital, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 189:7856-76. 2007..proteins, enzymes for synthesis of CPS constituents, polymerases, flippases, initial sugar transferases, glycosyltransferases [GTs], phosphotransferases, acetyltransferases, and pyruvyltransferases)...
- Sterol glycosyltransferases--the enzymes that modify sterolsPankaj Chaturvedi
National Botanical Research Institute Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Rana Pratap Marg, Lucknow, 226001, Uttar Pradesh, India
Appl Biochem Biotechnol 165:47-68. 2011..Sterol glycosyltransferases (SGTs) are enzymes involved in sterol modifications and play an important role in metabolic plasticity ..
- Bovine alpha1,3-galactosyltransferase catalytic domain structure and its relationship with ABO histo-blood group and glycosphingolipid glycosyltransferasesL N Gastinel
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolécules Biologiques AFMB, UMR 6098, CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
EMBO J 20:638-49. 2001..a narrow cleft on one face, and shares a UDP-binding domain (UBD) with the recently solved inverting glycosyltransferases. The substrate-bound complex, solved and refined to 2...
- Identification and characterisation of Arabidopsis glycosyltransferases capable of glucosylating coniferyl aldehyde and sinapyl aldehydeEng Kiat Lim
CNAP, Department of Biology, University of York, UK
FEBS Lett 579:2802-6. 2005..UGT72E1, an UDP-glucose:glycosyltransferase of Arabidopsis thaliana that is the third member of a branch of glycosyltransferases, capable of conjugating lignin monomers and related metabolites...
- Glycosyltransferases involved in type 1 chain and Lewis antigen biosynthesis exhibit glycan and core chain specificityJan Holgersson
Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, S 141 86 Stockholm, Sweden
Glycobiology 16:584-93. 2006..in SLe(a), Le(a), and Le(b) synthesis, we have transiently transfected CHO-K1 cells with relevant human glycosyltransferases and, on secreted reporter proteins, detected the resulting Lewis antigens on N- and O-linked glycans using ..
- Transcriptional regulation of proteoglycans and glycosaminoglycan chain-synthesizing glycosyltransferases by UV irradiation in cultured human dermal fibroblastsJeong Eun Shin
Department of Dermatology, Institute of Dermatological Science, Seoul National University College of Medicine, University Hospital, 101 Daehang no, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 26:417-24. 2011..Expressions of GAG chain-synthesizing glycosyltransferases, xylosyltransferase-1, β1,3-glucuronyltransferase-1, β1,4-galactosyltransferase-2, -4, exostosin-1, ..
- Cloning and overexpression of glycosyltransferases that generate the lipopolysaccharide core of Rhizobium leguminosarumJ L Kadrmas
Department of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Biol Chem 273:26432-40. 1998..The gene is separated by several kilobase pairs from the lpcAB cluster. All three glycosyltransferases are carried on cosmid pIJ1848, which contains at least 20 kilobase pairs of R. leguminosarum DNA...
- Discovery of new Gram-negative antivirulence drugs: structure and properties of novel E. coli WaaC inhibitorsF Moreau
MUTABILIS SA, 102 Avenue Gaston Roussel, 93230 Romainville, France
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 18:4022-6. 2008....
- Engineering Flax with the GT Family 1 Solanum sogarandinum Glycosyltransferase SsGT1 Confers Increased Resistance to Fusarium InfectionKatarzyna Lorenc-Kukuła
Faculty of Biotechnology, Wroclaw University, Przybyszewskiego 63 77, 51 148 Wroclaw, Poland
J Agric Food Chem 57:6698-705. 2009..It is thus suggested that introduction of SsGT1 is sufficient for engineering altered pathogen resistance in flax...
- Biochemical characterization of the O-linked glycosylation pathway in Neisseria gonorrhoeae responsible for biosynthesis of protein glycans containing N,N'-diacetylbacillosamineMeredith D Hartley
Departments of Chemistry and Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Biochemistry 50:4936-48. 2011..In addition, the substrate specificities of the phospho-glycosyltransferase, glycosyltransferases, and oligosaccharyltransferase (OTase) were analyzed in vitro, and in most cases, these enzymes exhibited ..
- Hpa2 required by HrpF to translocate Xanthomonas oryzae transcriptional activator-like effectors into rice for pathogenicityYu rong Li
School of Agriculture and Biology, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 800 Dongchuan Road, Shanghai 200240, China
Appl Environ Microbiol 77:3809-18. 2011..These findings suggest that Hpa2 and HrpF form a complex to translocate T3S effectors into plant cells for pathogenesis in host rice...
- Structural analysis of the lipopolysaccharide from Pasteurella multocida genome strain Pm70 and identification of the putative lipopolysaccharide glycosyltransferasesFrank St Michael
Institute for Biological Sciences, National Research Council, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1A 0R6
Glycobiology 15:323-33. 2005..Identification of the core oligosaccharide structure enabled a search for glycosyltransferase homologs in the Pm70 genome and revealed a clustering of the genes putatively responsible for outer core oligosaccharide biosynthesis...
- Glycosyltransferases encoded by virusesNicolas Markine-Goriaynoff
Immunology Vaccinology B43b, Department of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Liege, B 4000 Liege, Belgium
J Gen Virol 85:2741-54. 2004..Viruses reach that goal either by regulating expression of host glycosyltransferases or by expressing their own glycosyltransferases...
- Sterol glycosyltransferases-identification of members of gene family and their role in stress in Withania somniferaPankaj Chaturvedi
Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, UP, India
Mol Biol Rep 39:9755-64. 2012Sterol glycosyltransferases (SGTs) catalyze the transfer of sugar molecules to diverse sterol molecules, leading to a change in their participation in cellular metabolism...
- Functional identification of an Arabidopsis pectin biosynthetic homogalacturonan galacturonosyltransferaseJason D Sterling
Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 315 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602 4712, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:5236-41. 2006..The identification of GAUT1 as a HG GalAT and of the GAUT1-related gene family provides the genetic and biochemical tools required to study the function of these genes in pectin synthesis...
- Characterization of a metal-independent CAZy family 6 glycosyltransferase from Bacteroides ovatusPercy Tumbale
Department of Basic Science, Charles E Schmidt College of Biomedical Science, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, Florida 33431, USA
J Biol Chem 284:25126-34. 2009..In humans and other vertebrates, variations in the activity of glycosyltransferases of CAZy family 6 generate antigenic variation between individuals and species that facilitates resistance ..
- The crystal structure of two macrolide glycosyltransferases provides a blueprint for host cell antibiotic immunityDavid N Bolam
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences, The Medical School, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Framlington Place, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:5336-41. 2007..The Streptomyces antibioticus glycosyltransferases, OleI and OleD, glycosylate and inactivate oleandomycin and diverse macrolides including erythromycin, ..
- IL-6 and IL-8 increase the expression of glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases involved in the biosynthesis of sialylated and/or sulfated Lewisx epitopes in the human bronchial mucosaSophie Groux-Degroote
Unite de Glycobiologie Structurale et Fonctionnelle, UMR CNRS no 8576, Batiment C9, Universite des Sciences et Technologies de Lille, F 59655 Villeneuve d Ascq, Lille, France
Biochem J 410:213-23. 2008..In conclusion, our results indicate that IL-6 and -8 may contribute to the increased levels of sialyl-Lewis(x) and 6-sulfo-sialyl-Lewis(x) epitopes on human airway mucins from patients with CF...
- Lunatic Fringe-mediated Notch signaling is required for lung alveogenesisKeli Xu
Program in Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, The Hospital for Sick Children, 101 College St, East Tower, Rm 14 309, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 1L7
Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 298:L45-56. 2010..In sum, these results demonstrate that Lfng functions to enhance Notch signaling in myofibroblast precursor cells and thereby to coordinate differentiation and mobilization of myofibroblasts required for alveolar septation...
- Exploring genomes for glycosyltransferasesSara Fasmer Hansen
CERMAV CNRS, University of Grenoble, F 38041 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Mol Biosyst 6:1773-81. 2010b>Glycosyltransferases are one of the largest and most diverse enzyme groups in Nature. They catalyse the synthesis of glycosidic linkages by the transfer of a sugar residue from a donor to an acceptor substrate...
- Quorum sensing modulation of a putative glycosyltransferase gene cluster essential for Xanthomonas campestris biofilm formationFei Tao
Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology, 61 Biopolis Drive, Singapore 138673
Environ Microbiol 12:3159-70. 2010..These results provide new insight into the molecular mechanisms by which Xcc switches between planktonic growth and biofilm lifestyle...
- Genome sequence of the lignocellulose degrading fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium strain RP78Diego Martinez
US DOE Joint Genome Institute, Walnut Creek, California 94598, USA
Nat Biotechnol 22:695-700. 2004..This genome provides a high quality draft sequence of a basidiomycete, a major fungal phylum that includes important plant and animal pathogens...
- A xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase involves in growth of primary root and alters the deposition of cellulose in ArabidopsisYa Bao Liu
Key Lab of MOE for Plant Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430072, China
Planta 226:1547-60. 2007....
- Cell adhesion in Arabidopsis thaliana is mediated by ECTOPICALLY PARTING CELLS 1--a glycosyltransferase (GT64) related to the animal exostosinsSunil Kumar Singh
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, SLU, 901 83 Umea, Sweden
Plant J 43:384-97. 2005Despite the fact that several hundred glycosyltransferases have been identified from sequencing of plant genomes, the biological functions of only a handful have been established to date...
- Arabidopsis thaliana T-DNA mutants implicate GAUT genes in the biosynthesis of pectin and xylan in cell walls and seed testaKerry H Caffall
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Mol Plant 2:1000-14. 2009..Evidence is also presented to support a role for GAUT11 in seed mucilage expansion and in seed wall and mucilage composition...
- Recognition of synthetic O-methyl, epimeric, and amino analogues of the acceptor alpha-L-Fuc p-(1-->2)-beta-D-Gal p-OR by the blood-group A and B gene-specified glycosyltransferasesT L Lowary
Department of Chemistry, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada
Carbohydr Res 251:33-67. 1994The disaccharide alpha-L-Fuc p-(1-->2)-beta-D-Gal p-O-(CH2)7CH3 (6) is an acceptor for the glycosyltransferases responsible for the biosynthesis of the A and B blood-group antigens...
- 454 EST analysis detects genes putatively involved in ginsenoside biosynthesis in Panax ginsengS Chen
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Haidian, Beijing 100193, China
Plant Cell Rep 30:1593-601. 2011..genes putatively responsible for modification of the skeletons, including 133 cytochrome P450s and 235 glycosyltransferases, were identified...
- Xyloglucan endo-transglycosylase-mediated xyloglucan rearrangements in developing wood of hybrid aspenNobuyuki Nishikubo
Department of Forest Genetics and Plant Physiology, Umea Plant Science Center, SE 90183 Umea, Sweden
Plant Physiol 155:399-413. 2011..XET overexpression promoted vessel element growth but not fiber expansion. We suggest that the amount of nascent xyloglucan relative to XET is an important determinant of whether XET strengthens or loosens the cell wall...
- Biosynthesis of chondroitin sulfate: from the early, precursor discoveries to nowadays, genetics approachesMauro S G Pavão
Laboratório de Tecido Conjuntivo, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho, Instituto de Bioquímica Médica and Instituto de Ciências Biomédicas, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Adv Pharmacol 53:117-40. 2006
- Xyloglucan endotransglucosylase action is high in the root elongation zone and in the trichoblasts of all vascular plants from Selaginella to Zea maysK Vissenberg
Laboratory of Plant Physiology and Morphology, Department of Biology, University of Antwerp UIA, Universiteitsplein 1, B 2610 Wilrijk, Belgium
J Exp Bot 54:335-44. 2003..Clearly XTH and its action in root development evolved before the evolutionary divergence of ferns and seed plants and also of the lycopodiophytes and euphyllophytes...
- Genetic analysis of genes controlling natural variation of seed coat and flower colors in soybeanKiwoung Yang
Bio Evaluation Center, Korea Research Institute of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Cheongwon, Chungbuk 363 883, Republic of Korea
J Hered 101:757-68. 2010....
- Developmental expression patterns of Arabidopsis XTH genes reported by transgenes and GenevestigatorJaime Becnel
Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005 1892, USA
Plant Mol Biol 61:451-67. 2006..Knowledge of gene-specific expression among family members yields evidence of where and when gene products may function and provides insights to guide rational approaches to investigate function through reverse genetics...
- Characterization of three glycosyltransferases involved in the biosynthesis of the phenolic glycolipid antigens from the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complexEsther Perez
Département Mécanismes Moléculaires des Infections Mycobactériennes, Institut de Pharmacologie et Biologie Structurale, CNRS and Université Paul Sabatier Unité Mixte de Recherche 5089, 205 route de Narbonne, 31077 Toulouse Cedex, France
J Biol Chem 279:42574-83. 2004..tuberculosis are grouped on a 70-kilobase chromosomal fragment containing three genes encoding putative glycosyltransferases: Rv2957, Rv2958c, and Rv2962c. To determine the functions of these genes, three recombinant M...
- Identification of a Gene Cluster for the Biosynthesis of a Long, Galactose-Rich Exopolysaccharide in Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and Functional Analysis of the Priming GlycosyltransferaseSarah Lebeer
Centre of Microbial and Plant Genetics, K U Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:3554-63. 2009..rhamnosus GG, possibly because of less shielding of adhesins such as fimbria-like structures...
- Identification and biochemical characterization of an Arabidopsis indole-3-acetic acid glucosyltransferaseR G Jackson
Department of Biology, University of York, York YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
J Biol Chem 276:4350-6. 2001..This study describes the first biochemical analysis of a recombinant IAA-UGT and provides the foundation for future genetic approaches to understand the role of 1-O-indole acetyl glucose ester in Arabidopsis...
- LARGE can functionally bypass alpha-dystroglycan glycosylation defects in distinct congenital muscular dystrophiesRita Barresi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Roy J and Lucille A Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242, USA
Nat Med 10:696-703. 2004Several congenital muscular dystrophies caused by defects in known or putative glycosyltransferases are commonly associated with hypoglycosylation of alpha-dystroglycan (alpha-DG) and a marked reduction of its receptor function...
- Enzymic characterization of two recombinant xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase (XTH) proteins of Arabidopsis and their effect on root growth and cell wall extensionAn Maris
Department of Biology, University of Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium
J Exp Bot 60:3959-72. 2009..It is proposed that these specific XTH isoenzymes play a role in strengthening the side-walls of root-hairs and cell walls in the root differentiation zone after the completion of cell expansion...
- Molecular analysis of three Aeromonas hydrophila AH-3 (serotype O34) lipopolysaccharide core biosynthesis gene clustersNatalia Jimenez
Departamento Microbiologia, Facultad Biologia, Universidad Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08071 Barcelona, Spain
J Bacteriol 190:3176-84. 2008..Having the functions of all genes involved with the LPS core biosynthesis and most corresponding single-gene mutants now allows experimental work on the role of the LPS core in the virulence of A. hydrophila...
- The divergent DSL ligand Dll3 does not activate Notch signaling but cell autonomously attenuates signaling induced by other DSL ligandsEna Ladi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA
J Cell Biol 170:983-92. 2005..Finally, together with the modulator lunatic fringe, Dll3 altered N signaling levels that were induced by other DSL ligands...
- Combination of several bioinformatics approaches for the identification of new putative glycosyltransferases in ArabidopsisSara Fasmer Hansen
University of Grenoble, F 38041 Grenoble, France
J Proteome Res 8:743-53. 2009..Among them, 20 are considered as putative glycosyltransferases that should further be investigated since known GT signatures were clearly identified.
- De novo biosynthesis of vanillin in fission yeast (Schizosaccharomyces pombe) and baker's yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae)Esben H Hansen
Poalis A S, DK 1870 Frederiksberg C, Denmark
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:2765-74. 2009..S. pombe yeast has not previously been metabolically engineered to produce any valuable, industrially scalable, white biotech commodity...
- Characterization of a tomato xyloglucan endotransglycosylase gene that is down-regulated by auxin in etiolated hypocotylsC Catala
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Complex Carbohydrate Research Center, University of Georgia, 220 Riverbend Road, Athens, GA 30602 4712, USA
Plant Physiol 127:1180-92. 2001..The opposite patterns of expression and differential auxin regulation of LeXET2 and LeEXT suggest that they encode XETs with distinct roles during plant growth and development...
- The Arabidopsis irregular xylem8 mutant is deficient in glucuronoxylan and homogalacturonan, which are essential for secondary cell wall integrityStaffan Persson
Carnegie Institution, Stanford, California 94305, USA
Plant Cell 19:237-55. 2007....
- X-ray crystal structures of rabbit N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase I (GnT I) in complex with donor substrate analoguesRoni D Gordon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 1A8
J Mol Biol 360:67-79. 2006....
- Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases: diversity of genes, enzymes and potential wall-modifying functionsP Campbell
Dept of Botany, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708 1000, USA
Trends Plant Sci 4:361-6. 1999..Xyloglucan endotransglycosylases are encoded by large gene families, and in an attempt to clarify their physiological role, the diverse regulation of the genes and properties of the proteins are being determined...
- Emerging paradigms for the initiation of mucin-type protein O-glycosylation by the polypeptide GalNAc transferase family of glycosyltransferasesThomas A Gerken
Department of Pediatrics W A Bernbaum Center for Cystic Fibrosis Research, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Biol Chem 286:14493-507. 2011..We conclude that each ppGalNAc T isoform may be uniquely sensitive to peptide sequence and overall charge, which together dictates the substrate sites that will be glycosylated...
- Pasteurella multocida expresses two lipopolysaccharide glycoforms simultaneously, but only a single form is required for virulence: identification of two acceptor-specific heptosyl I transferasesMarina Harper
Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence in Structural and Functional Microbial Genomics, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia
Infect Immun 75:3885-93. 2007....
- A novel bioinformatics approach identifies candidate genes for the synthesis and feruloylation of arabinoxylanRowan A C Mitchell
Biomathematics and Bioinformatics Division, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Plant Physiol 144:43-53. 2007....
- Mechanical effects of plant cell wall enzymes on cellulose/xyloglucan compositesElisabeth Chanliaud
Unilever Research Colworth, Colworth House, Sharnbrook, Bedford MK44 1LQ, UK
Plant J 38:27-37. 2004..Mechanical consequences of tXET action are shown to be complimentary to those of cucumber expansin...
- Engineering of glycosidases and glycosyltransferasesSusan M Hancock
Department of Chemistry, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Curr Opin Chem Biol 10:509-19. 2006In recent years, substantial advances have been made in the engineering of glycosidases and glycosyltransferases for the synthesis and degradation of glycan structures...
- A census of carbohydrate-active enzymes in the genome of Arabidopsis thalianaB Henrissat
Architecture et Fonction des Macromolecules Biologiques, UMR 6098, CNRS and Universités d Aix Marseille I and II, France
Plant Mol Biol 47:55-72. 2001..and functional diversity of glycosides is mirrored by a vast array of enzymes involved in their synthesis (glycosyltransferases), modification (carbohydrate esterases) and breakdown (glycoside hydrolases and polysaccharide lyases)...
- Golgi localization of glycosyltransferases requires a Vps74p oligomerKarl R Schmitz
Department of Physiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Dev Cell 14:523-34. 2008..All Golgi glycosyltransferases are type II membrane proteins with small cytosolic domains that contribute to Golgi localization...
- Multi-protein complexes in the cis Golgi of Saccharomyces cerevisiae with alpha-1,6-mannosyltransferase activityJ Jungmann
MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
EMBO J 17:423-34. 1998..we identify two new proteins in the Anp1p-Mnn9p-containing complex which have homology to known glycosyltransferases. Both protein complexes have alpha-1, 6-mannosyltransferase activity, forming a series of poly-mannose ..
- Construction of a rice glycosyltransferase phylogenomic database and identification of rice-diverged glycosyltransferasesPei Jian Cao
Department of Plant Pathology, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Mol Plant 1:858-77. 2008b>Glycosyltransferases (GTs; EC 2.4.x.y) constitute a large group of enzymes that form glycosidic bonds through transfer of sugars from activated donor molecules to acceptor molecules...
- Golgi N-glycosyltransferases form both homo- and heterodimeric enzyme complexes in live cellsAntti Hassinen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu and the Glycoscience Graduate School Finland, PO Box 3000, Linnanmaa, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
J Biol Chem 285:17771-7. 2010..of this diversity between molecules, cells, and tissues is generated by Golgi-resident glycosidases and glycosyltransferases. However, their exact mode of functioning in glycan processing is currently unclear...
- Structural features of glycosyltransferases synthesizing major bilayer and nonbilayer-prone membrane lipids in Acholeplasma laidlawii and Streptococcus pneumoniaeMaria Edman
Department of Biochemistry, Umea University, Sweden
J Biol Chem 278:8420-8. 2003..used together with SWISS-MODEL to build three-dimensional model structures for three MGS and two DGS lipid glycosyltransferases. Two Escherichia coli proteins with known structures were identified as the best templates, the membrane ..
- QUASIMODO1 encodes a putative membrane-bound glycosyltransferase required for normal pectin synthesis and cell adhesion in ArabidopsisSophie Bouton
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Centre de Versailles Grignon, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Cell 14:2577-90. 2002..The mutant phenotype is consistent with a central role for pectins in cell adhesion...
- The in vitro characterization of polyene glycosyltransferases AmphDI and NysDIChangsheng Zhang
Laboratory for Biosynthetic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, UW National Cooperative Drug Discovery Group, Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, Wisconsin 53705 2222, USA
Chembiochem 9:2506-14. 2008The overproduction, purification, and in vitro characterization of the polyene glycosyltransferases (GTs) AmphDI and NysDI are reported...
- Single amino acid mutations of Medicago glycosyltransferase UGT85H2 enhance activity and impart reversibilityLuzia V Modolo
Plant Biology Division, Samuel Roberts Noble Foundation, Ardmore, OK 73401, USA
FEBS Lett 583:2131-5. 2009..More interestingly, this single mutation (V200E) conferred reversibility in the glycosyltransfer reaction, indicating that Glu200 is a key determinant for the deglycosylation function...
- Optimizing glycosyltransferase specificity via "hot spot" saturation mutagenesis presents a catalyst for novobiocin glycorandomizationGavin J Williams
Laboratory for Biosynthetic Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Sciences Division, School of Pharmacy, National Cooperative Drug Discovery Program, University of Wisconsin Madison, 777 Highland Avenue, Madison, WI 53705, USA
Chem Biol 15:393-401. 2008..Incredibly, even in the absence of a high-throughput screen for novobiocic acid glycosylation, this approach rapidly led to improvements in the desired catalytic activity of several hundred-fold...
- In vitro activities of four xyloglucan endotransglycosylases from ArabidopsisP Campbell
Department of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Rice University, Houston, TX 77005 1892, USA
Plant J 18:371-82. 1999..Subtle differences in biochemical activities may influence the physiological functions of the distinct XETs in vivo...
- Cell wall synthesis enzymes and beta-lactam resistance in Enterococcus faeciumLouis B Rice; Fiscal Year: 2010..As a class B Pbp with only transpeptidase activity, Pbp5 must coordinate its activities with that of glycosyltransferases to synthesize mature peptidoglycan...
- Investigation on Oligosaccharides as Antimicrobial and PrebioticsPeng George Wang; Fiscal Year: 2010..the natural carbohydrate biosynthetic pathway where oligosaccharides are assembled together by specific glycosyltransferases using individual sugar nucleotides as building blocks...
- Investigation on Oligosaccharides as Antimicrobial and PrebioticsPeng Wang; Fiscal Year: 2009..the natural carbohydrate biosynthetic pathway where oligosaccharides are assembled together by specific glycosyltransferases using individual sugar nucleotides as building blocks...
- LIPID A MODIFICATION SYSTEMS IN GRAM-NEGATIVE BACTERIACHRISTIAN RAETZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..the coming grant period will be: 1) the purification and characterization of the lipid A phosphatases and glycosyltransferases of F. novicida; 2) the biochemical and genetic analysis of LPS core assembly enzymes of F...
- LIPID A MODIFICATION SYSTEMS IN GRAM-NEGATIVE BACTERIACHRISTIAN R RAETZ; Fiscal Year: 2010..the coming grant period will be: 1) the purification and characterization of the lipid A phosphatases and glycosyltransferases of F. novicida;2) the biochemical and genetic analysis of LPS core assembly enzymes of F...
- HTS assay development for inhibitors of sickle cellPAUL FRENETTE; Fiscal Year: 2006..The synthesis of selectin ligands requires the expression of several glycosyltransferases that modify the carbohydrate composition of specific polypeptide or lipid, allowing high-affinity selectin ..
- O-Glycans on Mucins at the Ocular SurfacePABLO ARGUESO; Fiscal Year: 2007..B. Identify and localize glycosyltransferases (sialyltransferases) responsible for their biosynthesis. C...
- Structure and function of family 1 glycosyltransferasesR Garavito; Fiscal Year: 2006NDP-sugar glycosyltransferases are critical for the biosynthesis of all complex carbohydrates and glycoconjugates...
- MECHANISMS OF POLYSACCHARIDE SYNTHESIS BY S. PNEUMONIAEJanet Yother; Fiscal Year: 2005..The type 3 synthase is a member of a family of glycosyltransferases that includes the streptococcal and eukaryotic hyaluronan synthases, chitin synthases, and cellulose ..
- NUCLEOTIDE DONORS AFFECTING GLYCOSYLATION PATHWAYSAjit Varki; Fiscal Year: 2003All living cells synthesize glycan chains. The process of glycosylation is catalyzed by highly specific glycosyltransferases that require specific sugar nucleotide donors...
- MANNOPROTEIN BIOSYNTHESIS IN SACCHAROMYCES CEREVISIAEAnnette Herscovics; Fiscal Year: 1991..transfer, the oligosaccharide undergoes processing which requires the concern action of glycosidases at glycosyltransferases. We propose to continue our studies on the early stages of carbohydrate processing in Saccharomyces ..
- TRANSIENT GLUCOSYLATION OF GLYCOPROTEINSArmando Parodi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Nucleoside diphosphates generated by glycosyltransferases in the secretory pathway must be converted into monophosphates to relieve inhibition of the transferring ..
- Oligosaccharide moieties of human milk glycans that inhibit pathogensDavid S Newburg; Fiscal Year: 2010..These complex carbohydrate moieties are synthesized by the many glycosyltransferases in the mammary gland;those glycans with homology to cell surface glycoconjugate pathogen receptors may ..
- Oligosaccharide moieties of human milk glycans that inhibit pathogensDAVID NEWBURG; Fiscal Year: 2009..These complex carbohydrate moieties are synthesized by the many glycosyltransferases in the mammary gland; those glycans with homology to cell surface glycoconjugate pathogen receptors may ..
- An Untested Approach: Biomarkers for Colon CancerKhushi Matta; Fiscal Year: 2007..structures of cancer-associated glycans are driven by fundamental changes in the cellular expression of the glycosyltransferases involved in their biosynthesis...
- MECHANISTIC STUDIES OF PROKARYOTIC MANNOSYLTRANSFERASESJON THORSON; Fiscal Year: 2002..target (proteins, cell walls and/or antibiotics) occur due primarily to the restricted availability of glycosyltransferases and their nucleotide diphosphate sugar substrates...
- CYTOPLASMIC FUCOSYLATIONChristopher West; Fiscal Year: 1993..a model that FP21 is synthesized and accumulates in the cytoplasm, and that it is glycosylated by resident glycosyltransferases, which are synthesized there, from cytoplasmic pools of sugar nucleotides...
- RECEPTOR TOPOGRAPHY IN MICROVASCULAR LEUKOCYTE ADHESIONUlrich von Andrian; Fiscal Year: 2005..the venular topography of lymphocyte traffic molecules involved in L-selectin-mediated rolling (glycosyltransferases and sulfotransferases, subaim 1.1) and subsequent integrin-dependent arrest (ICAM-l and -2)...
- SYSTEMATIC STUDY OF THREE TYPES OF GLYCOSYLTRANSFERASESKhushi Matta; Fiscal Year: 2005..Relatively little is known of the precise substrate specificities of the glycosyltransferases that can modify this moiety...
- The Development of a Refrigerated Platelet ProductHANS WANDALL; Fiscal Year: 2007..the enzymatic modification of platelet surface proteins can be achieved without the addition of exogenous glycosyltransferases by the simple addition of the donor substrates UDP-galactose and CMP-sialic acid...
- COMPLEMENT ACTIVATION BY ANTIBODY N-GLYCANSFRANK WAXMAN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Experiments using glycosyltransferases and glycosidases to probe N-glycan accessibility supported this hypothesis...