Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme derived from cow's milk. It catalyzes the radioiodination of tyrosine and its derivatives and of peptides containing tyrosine.
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- Challenge testing the lactoperoxidase system against a range of bacteria using different activation agentsL W T Fweja
Department of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AP, United Kingdom
J Dairy Sci 91:2566-74. 2008b>Lactoperoxidase (LP) exerts antimicrobial effects in combination with H(2)O(2) and either thiocyanate (SCN(-)) or a halide (e.g., I(-)). Garlic extract in the presence of ethanol has also been used to activate the LP system...
- The prominent conformational plasticity of lactoperoxidase: a chemical and pH stability analysisBarbara Boscolo
Dipartimento di Chimica I F M, Universita di Torino, Torino, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1794:1041-8. 2009b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is a structurally complex and stable mammalian redox enzyme. Here we aim at evaluating the influence of ionic interactions and how these intertwine with the structural dynamics, stability and activity of LPO...
- Role of porins in sensitivity of Escherichia coli to antibacterial activity of the lactoperoxidase enzyme systemPhilipp De Spiegeleer
Department of Food and Microbial Technology, K U Leuven, Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:3512-8. 2005b>Lactoperoxidase is an enzyme that contributes to the antimicrobial defense in secretory fluids and that has attracted interest as a potential biopreservative for foods and other perishable products...
- Mode of binding of the tuberculosis prodrug isoniazid to heme peroxidases: binding studies and crystal structure of bovine lactoperoxidase with isoniazid at 2.7 A resolutionAmit K Singh
Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
J Biol Chem 285:1569-76. 2010Isoniazid (INH) is an anti-tuberculosis prodrug that is activated by mammalian lactoperoxidase and Mycobacterium tuberculosis catalase peroxidase (MtCP)...
- A novel host defense system of airways is defective in cystic fibrosisPatryk Moskwa
Department of Anatomy, University of Iowa, Coralville, IA 52241, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:174-83. 2007..Defective airway immunity characterizes cystic fibrosis (CF), a disease caused by mutations in the CF transmembrane conductance regulator, a chloride channel. The pathophysiology of defective immunity in CF remains to be elucidated...
- Clinical applications of antimicrobial host proteins lactoperoxidase, lysozyme and lactoferrin in xerostomia: efficacy and safetyJ Tenovuo
Institute of Dentistry and Turku Immunology Centre, University of Turku, Finland
Oral Dis 8:23-9. 2002..In this review I critically evaluate the clinical efficacy and safety of this kind of preventive approach against various oral diseases and symptoms...
- Regulation of sodium/iodide symporter and lactoperoxidase expression in four human breast cancer cell linesM Sponziello
Department of Clinical Sciences, University of Rome Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 33:2-6. 2010..Agents capable of increasing radioiodine concentration by stimulating the sodium/iodide symporter (NIS) expression have been extensively investigated for the treatment of certain well-differentiated breast cancers...
- Evaluation of the clinical efficacy of a mouthwash and oral gel containing the antimicrobial proteins lactoperoxidase, lysozyme and lactoferrin in elderly patients with dry mouth--a pilot studyJose Antonio Gil-Montoya
School of Dentistry, Department of Special Care and Gerodontology, Granada University, Granada, Spain
Gerodontology 25:3-9. 2008To evaluate the clinical efficacy of a mouthwash and oral gel containing the antimicrobial proteins lactoperoxidase, lactoferrin and lysozyme, in a sample of elderly individuals with dry mouth.
- Lactoperoxidase catalyzes in vitro activation of acrylonitrile to cyanideSherry N Nasralla
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Ain Shams University, Cairo 11566, Egypt
Toxicol Lett 191:347-52. 2009..The present results demonstrate the ability of LPO enzyme system to oxidize ACN to CN(-) and provide insight for the elucidation of ACN chronic toxicity...
- Electron paramagnetic resonance detection of free tyrosyl radical generated by myeloperoxidase, lactoperoxidase, and horseradish peroxidaseM L McCormick
Research Service, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Iowa City, Iowa 52246, USA
J Biol Chem 273:32030-7. 1998..intermediate in this reaction pathway and in parallel reactions catalyzed by horseradish peroxidase and lactoperoxidase. Using an EPR flow system to rapidly mix and examine solutions containing horseradish peroxidase, H2O2, and L-..
- Glutathione-induced radical formation on lactoperoxidase does not correlate with the enzyme's peroxidase activityMarcelo G Bonini
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, MD, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 42:985-92. 2007b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is believed to serve as a mediator of host defense against invading pathogens. The protein is more abundant in body fluids such as milk, saliva, and tears...
- Enhancement of respiratory mucosal antiviral defenses by the oxidation of iodideAnthony J Fischer
Department of Pediatrics, Carver College of Medicine, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 45:874-81. 2011..which mediate the secretion of the oxidizable anion thiocyanate (SCN(-)) into airway surface liquid, and lactoperoxidase (LPO), which catalyzes the H(2)O(2)-dependent oxidation of the pseudohalide SCN(-) to yield the antimicrobial ..
- Microbicidal efficacy of thiocyanate hydrogen peroxide after adding lactoperoxidase under saliva loading in the quantitative suspension testA Welk
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Periodontology and Endodontology, Dental School, University of Greifswald, Rotgerber Street 8, 17475 Greifswald, Germany
Arch Oral Biol 56:1576-82. 2011As shown in the quantitative suspension test adding lactoperoxidase to a thiocyanate (SCN(-)) hydrogen peroxide (H(2)O(2)) combination over the physiological saliva level has significant positive antimicrobial effects to a level of ..
- Controlled study of lactoperoxidase gel on oral flora and saliva in irradiated patients with oral cancerKatalin Nagy
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Szeged, Szeged, Hungary
J Craniofac Surg 18:1157-64. 2007..007). Use of enzyme-engineered Biotène products that assist in control of the oral microbial flora as well as supporting oral comfort through lubrication appear to be useful aids for irradiated patients with oropharyngeal cancer...
- Expression of lactoperoxidase in differentiated mouse colon epithelial cellsByung Wook Kim
Department of Cancer Biology, Beckman Research Institute of City of Hope, Duarte, CA 91010, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 52:1569-76. 2012b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is known to be present in secreted fluids, such as milk and saliva. Functionally, LPO teams up with dual oxidases (DUOXs) to generate bactericidal hypothiocyanite in the presence of thiocyanate...
- Lactoperoxidase folding and catalysis relies on the stabilization of the alpha-helix rich core domain: a thermal unfolding studyBarbara Boscolo
Dipartimento di Chimica I F M, Universita di Torino, Torino, Italy
Biochim Biophys Acta 1774:1164-72. 2007b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) belongs to the mammalian peroxidase family and catalyzes the oxidation of halides, pseudo-halides and a number of aromatic substrates at the expense of hydrogen peroxide...
- Singlet oxygen generation from the decomposition of alpha-linolenic acid hydroperoxide by cytochrome c and lactoperoxidaseShuna Sun
Beijing National Laboratory for Molecular Sciences, Institute of Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, China
Biochemistry 46:6668-73. 2007..lipid peroxide, alpha-linolenic acid hydroperoxide (LAOOH), by heme-proteins such as cytochrome c and lactoperoxidase. Chemiluminescence and electron spin resonance methods are used to confirm the singlet oxygen generation and ..
- Relative gene expression in acid-adapted Escherichia coli O157:H7 during lactoperoxidase and lactic acid challenge in Tryptone Soy BrothAngela A Parry-Hanson
Department of Food Science, University of Pretoria, Lynwood Road, Pretoria 0002, South Africa
Microbiol Res 165:546-56. 2010..This study was aimed at investigating the contribution of acid and lactoperoxidase (LP)-inducible genes to cross-protection of E...
- Redox thermodynamics of lactoperoxidase and eosinophil peroxidaseGianantonio Battistuzzi
Department of Chemistry, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Via Campi 183, Modena, Italy
Arch Biochem Biophys 494:72-7. 2010Eosinophil peroxidase (EPO) and lactoperoxidase (LPO) are important constituents of the innate immune system of mammals...
- Lactoperoxidase: physico-chemical properties, occurrence, mechanism of action and applicationsK D Kussendrager
DMV International, R and D Center, Veghel, The Netherlands
Br J Nutr 84:S19-25. 2000b>Lactoperoxidase (LP) is one of the most prominent enzymes in bovine milk and catalyses the inactivation of a wide range of micro-organisms in the lactoperoxidase system (LP-s)...
- Lactoperoxidase inhibits glucosyltransferases from Streptococcus mutans in vitroA Korpela
Department of Cariology, Institute of Dentistry, University of Turku, Finland
Caries Res 36:116-21. 2002..5. The lactoperoxidase (LP) system (LP, H(2)O(2), SCN(-)) had no effect on the activity of dissolved GtfC, but the activity of ..
- Reaction of lactoperoxidase compound I with halides and thiocyanatePaul Georg Furtmüller
Institute of Chemistry, University of Agricultural Sciences, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
Biochemistry 41:11895-900. 2002b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is found in mucosal surfaces and exocrine secretions, including milk, tears, and saliva, and has physiological significance in antimicrobial defense which involves (pseudo-) halide oxidation...
- Variations of lactoperoxidase activity and thiocyanate content in cows' and goats' milk throughout lactationFlorence A Fonteh
School of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights Campus, P O Box 226, Reading RG6 6AP, UK
J Dairy Res 69:401-9. 2002b>Lactoperoxidase activity and thiocyanate content were monitored in the milks of seven individual cows and six goats during lactation...
- The lactoperoxidase system links anion transport to host defense in cystic fibrosisGregory E Conner
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33136, United States
FEBS Lett 581:271-8. 2007..Airway host defense depends on lactoperoxidase (LPO) that requires thiocyanate (SCN-) to function and epithelia use CFTR to concentrate SCN- at the apical ..
- Standard reduction potentials of all couples of the peroxidase cycle of lactoperoxidasePaul Georg Furtmüller
Department of Chemistry, Division of Biochemistry, BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
J Inorg Biochem 99:1220-9. 2005b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is found in mucosal surfaces and exocrine secretions including milk, tears and saliva and has physiological significance in antimicrobial defense...
- Reaction of ferrous lactoperoxidase with hydrogen peroxide and dioxygen: an anaerobic stopped-flow studyWalter Jantschko
Division of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, Metalloprotein Research Group, BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Muthgasse 18, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
Arch Biochem Biophys 434:51-9. 2005b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is found in mucosal surfaces and exocrine secretions including milk, tears, and saliva and has physiological significance in antimicrobial defense which involves (pseudo-)halide oxidation...
- Kinetics of interconversion of redox intermediates of lactoperoxidase, eosinophil peroxidase and myeloperoxidasePaul Georg Furtmüller
Metalloprotein Research Group, Division of Biochemistry, Department of Chemistry, BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, Leipzig, Germany
Jpn J Infect Dis 57:S30-1. 2004Myeloperoxidase, eosinophil peroxidase and lactoperoxidase are heme-containing oxidoreductases, which undergo a series of redox reactions...
- The cytotoxic activity of lactoperoxidase: enhancement and inhibition by neuroactive compoundsJohannes Everse
Cell Biology and Biochemistry, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, TX 79430, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 37:839-49. 2004..establish proof of principle, we recently performed a series of experiments using horseradish peroxidase and lactoperoxidase. We showed that the cytotoxic activity of lactoperoxidase is fully inhibited by physiological concentrations ..
- Thiocyanate modulates the catalytic activity of mammalian peroxidasesYahya R Tahboub
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The C S Mott Center for Human Growth and Development, Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 280:26129-36. 2005..the catalytic activity of myeloperoxidase (MPO) and other members of the mammalian peroxidase superfamily (lactoperoxidase (LPO) and eosinophil peroxidase (EPO))...
- High dissociation rate constant of ferrous-dioxy complex linked to the catalase-like activity in lactoperoxidaseSemira Galijasevic
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan 48201, USA
J Biol Chem 279:39465-70. 2004Heme reduction of ferric lactoperoxidase (LPO) into its ferrous form initially leads to the accumulation of the unstable form of LPO-Fe(II), which spontaneously converts to a more stable species, the two of which can be identified by ..
- Lactoperoxidase and human airway host defenseCorinne Wijkstrom-Frei
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL 33101, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 29:206-12. 2003The lactoperoxidase (LPO) antibiotic system is a well-characterized component of mammary and salivary gland secretions...
- The lactoperoxidase system functions in bacterial clearance of airwaysC Gerson
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 22:665-71. 2000..In this study, we show that sheep airway peroxidase is identical to milk lactoperoxidase (LPO) and that sheep airway secretions contain thiocyanate (SCN(-)) at concentrations necessary and ..
- Molecular cloning of cDNAs encoding bovine and human lactoperoxidaseT J Dull
Ideon Corporation, Redwood City, CA 94063
DNA Cell Biol 9:499-509. 1990Peptide sequences obtained from cyanogen bromide fragments of bovine lactoperoxidase (bLPO) were used to design oligonucleotide probes for library screening...
- First structural evidence for the mode of diffusion of aromatic ligands and ligand-induced closure of the hydrophobic channel in heme peroxidasesAmit K Singh
Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi, 110029, India
J Biol Inorg Chem 15:1099-107. 2010..To provide answers to these questions, the crystal structure of the complex of lactoperoxidase and 3-amino-1,2,4-triazole (amitrole) has been determined, which revealed the presence of two ligand ..
- The effects of peroxidase on the enzymatic and candidacidal activities of lysozymeJeong Yun Lee
Dept of Oral Medicine and Oral Diagnosis, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, ChongRo Ku, Seoul 110 749, Republic of Korea
Arch Oral Biol 55:607-12. 2010..To investigate the effects of peroxidase or the peroxidase system on the enzymatic and candidacidal activities of lysozyme...
- Activation of lactoperoxidase system in milk by glucose oxidase immobilized in electrospun polylactide microfibersY Zhou
Dept of Food Science, Univ of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
J Food Sci 74:C170-6. 2009..In this study, glucose oxidase (GOX) was immobilized in polylactide (PLA) fibers that were used to activate the lactoperoxidase (LP) system in milk...
- Molecular cloning and characterization of the chromosomal gene for human lactoperoxidaseT Ueda
Osaka Bioscience Institute, Japan
Eur J Biochem 243:32-41. 1997b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is an oxidoreductase secreted into milk, and plays an important role in protecting the lactating mammary gland and the intestinal tract of the newborn infants against pathogenic microorganisms...
- Role of xanthine oxidase, lactoperoxidase, and NO in the innate immune system of mammary secretion during active involution in dairy cows: manipulation with casein hydrolyzatesNissim Silanikove
Ruminant Physiology, Institute of Animal Science, Agricultural Research Organization, The Volcani Center, P O Box 6, Bet Dagan 50250, Israel
Free Radic Biol Med 38:1139-51. 2005The aims of this study were to test whether xanthine oxidase, lactoperoxidase, and NO are components of the innate immune system of mammary secretion during active involution in dairy cows, and whether the innate immune system is ..
- The eosinophil peroxidase gene forms a cluster with the genes for myeloperoxidase and lactoperoxidase on human chromosome 17K Sakamaki
Institute for Virus Research, Kyoto University, Japan
Cytogenet Cell Genet 88:246-8. 2000Eosinophil peroxidase (EPX) is one of a family of mammalian peroxidases that includes myeloperoxidase (MPO), lactoperoxidase (LPO), and thyroid peroxidase (TPO). Here we show that the human EPX gene maps to chromosome 17q23...
- Optimization of the components concentrations of the lactoperoxidase system by RSMY Adolphe
Laboratoire de Sciences et Génie Alimentaires, Ecole Nationale Supérieure d Agronomie et des Industries Alimentaires Institut National Polytechnique de Lorraine ENSAIA INPL, Vandoeuvre les Nancy Cedex, France
J Appl Microbiol 100:1034-42. 2006..a statistical mathematical tool, to model effects and interactions of glucose oxidase (GOD), glucose, lactoperoxidase (LPO) and pH-values on the thiocyanate (SCN-) peroxidation, to determine the best concentrations of ..
- High sucrose concentration protects E. coli against high pressure inactivation but not against high pressure sensitization to the lactoperoxidase systemIsabelle Van Opstal
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, B 3001 Louvain, Belgium
Int J Food Microbiol 88:1-9. 2003..Addition of the lactoperoxidase system to the cell suspensions strongly enhanced high pressure inactivation of E...
- Mammalian heme peroxidases: from molecular mechanisms to health implicationsMichael J Davies
The Heart Research Institute, Camperdown, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia
Antioxid Redox Signal 10:1199-234. 2008..in the role that mammalian heme peroxidase enzymes, primarily myeloperoxidase, eosinophil peroxidase, and lactoperoxidase, may play in both disease prevention and human pathologies...
- Crystal structure of lactoperoxidase at 2.4 A resolutionAmit Kumar Singh
Department of Biophysics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Ansari Nagar, New Delhi 110 029, India
J Mol Biol 376:1060-75. 2008b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) is a member of the mammalian peroxidase superfamily. It catalyzes the oxidation of thiocyanate and halides...
- Lactoperoxidase and hydrogen peroxide metabolism in the airwayGregory E Conner
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy and Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Miami, Miami, Florida 33101, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:S57-61. 2002..We have identified the major macromolecular consumer of H2O2 in sheep airway secretions to be lactoperoxidase (LPO), a heme peroxidase previously studied in milk and saliva...
- Effects of orally administered bovine lactoferrin and lactoperoxidase on influenza virus infection in miceKouichirou Shin
Nutritional Science Laboratory, Morinaga Milk Industry Co Ltd, 5 1 83 Higashihara, Zama, Kanagawa 228 8583, Japan
J Med Microbiol 54:717-23. 2005..Among these protective factors, lactoferrin (LF) and lactoperoxidase (LPO) have been reported to exhibit antiviral activities as well as immuno-modulatory effects...
- Development of a laboratory scale clean-in-place system to test the effectiveness of "natural" antimicrobials against dairy biofilmsMuriel Dufour
Department of Microbiology, University of Otago, P O Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand
J Food Prot 67:1438-43. 2004..by exposure to either chlorine (200 ppm) or combinations of nisin (500 ppm), lauricidin (100 ppm), and the lactoperoxidase system (LPS) (200 ppm) for 10 min or 2, 4, 8, 18, or 24 h...
- A methodical approach to ultra-scale-down of process sequences: application to casein removal from the milk of transgenic animalsLars W Pampel
Amgen Process and Analytical Sciences, Thousand Oaks, California 91320, USA
Biotechnol Prog 24:192-201. 2008....
- Mechanistic insight into the peroxidase catalyzed nitration of tyrosine derivatives by nitrite and hydrogen peroxideEnrico Monzani
Dipartimento di Chimica Generale, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Eur J Biochem 271:895-906. 2004..In the present investigation, the nitration of phenolic compounds derived from tyrosine by lactoperoxidase and horseradish peroxidase was studied, with the aim of elucidating the mechanism of the reaction...
- Recovery of lactoferrin and lactoperoxidase from sweet whey using colloidal gas aphrons (CGAs) generated from an anionic surfactant, AOTElisabeth Fuda
School of Food Biosciences, The University of Reading, Whiteknights Campus, P O Box 226, Reading RG6 6AP, UK
Biotechnol Prog 20:514-25. 2004The recovery of lactoferrin and lactoperoxidase from sweet whey was studied using colloidal gas aphrons (CGAs), which are surfactant-stabilized microbubbles (10-100 microm)...
- Effectiveness of saliva substitute products in the treatment of dry mouth in the elderly: a pilot studyDavid W Matear
Clinical Affairs, Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J R Soc Promot Health 125:35-41. 2005..Biotène saliva substitutes are an acceptable and effective method of treatment for elderly people suffering from dry mouth...
- Effects of a lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate-hydrogen peroxide system on Salmonella enteritidis in animal or vegetable foodsVisalsok Touch
Department of Biochemistry and Food Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Kagawa University, Ikenobe, Kagawa, Japan
Int J Food Microbiol 93:175-83. 2004b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) from skim milk was purified by ion-exchange chromatography. The purified protein was used to catalyze the oxidation of thiocyanate by H2O2 in an antibacterial system (LPO system)...
- 17beta-Estradiol nitration by peroxidase/H2O2/NO2-: a chemical assessmentAlessandro Pezzella
Department of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Naples Federico II, Complesso Universitario Monte S Angelo, Via Cinthia 4, I 80126 Naples, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem 12:2927-36. 2004..horseradish peroxidase, lactoperoxidase, and peroxidase-containing homogenates from bovine uteri, was systematically investigated to assess on a ..
- Unique stress response to the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate enzyme system in Escherichia coliJan Sermon
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, 3001 Leuven Heverlee, Belgium
Res Microbiol 156:225-32. 2005..gfp gene for Escherichia coli MG1655 promoters that are induced upon challenge with the antimicrobial lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate enzyme system...
- Oxidation of anthracyclines by peroxidase metabolites of salicylic AcidKrzysztof J Reszka
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Cincinnati, 231 Albert Sabin Way, ML 0557, Cincinnati, OH 45267 0557
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 315:283-90. 2005..concentrations, salicylic acid stimulates oxidation of daunorubicin and doxorubicin by myeloperoxidase and lactoperoxidase systems and that efficacy of the process increases markedly on changing the pH from 7 to 5...
- A double-blind, crossover study of Biotène Oralbalance and BioXtra systems as salivary substitutes in patients with post-radiotherapy xerostomiaS A Shahdad
Restorative Dentistry, Newcastle Dental Hospital, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 14:319-26. 2005..05). In conclusion, both treatments were effective in alleviating the symptoms of post-radiotherapy xerostomia, although BX achieved superiority in some of the outcomes assessed compared with OB...
- Efficacy of the BioXtra dry mouth care system in the treatment of radiotherapy-induced xerostomiaPiet Dirix
Department of Radiation Oncology, Leuvens Kanker Instituut, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, 3000, Leuven, Belgium
Support Care Cancer 15:1429-36. 2007..Symptomatic treatment consists of stringent oral hygiene to prevent oral infections and saliva substitutes to increase comfort. The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical effectiveness of the BioXtra (BX) dry mouth care system...
- Inhibition of peroxidase and catalase activities and modulation of hydrogen peroxide level by inositol phosphoglycan-like compoundsL Thomasz
Department of Radiobiology, Argentine Atomic Energy Commission CNEA, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Horm Metab Res 39:14-9. 2007..e. containing iron such as: thyroid peroxidase, lactoperoxidase, horseradish peroxidase, soy bean peroxidase; and containing selenium such as glutathione peroxidase and 2-..
- Parasiticidal activity of bovine lactoperoxidase against Toxoplasma gondiiTetsuya Tanaka
Laboratory of Dairy Food Science, Research Faculty of Agriculture, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Hokkaido 060 8589, Japan
Biochem Cell Biol 84:774-9. 2006..gondii was enhanced by adding KI and bovine lactoperoxidase (bLPO), referred to here as the bLPO system...
- Characterization of carbon monoxide photodissociation from Fe(II)LPO with photoacoustic calorimetryDustin Lockney
Chemistry Department, Marshall University, One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, West Virginia 25755, USA
J Phys Chem B 110:24165-70. 2006b>Lactoperoxidase belongs to a family of mammalian peroxidases that catalyze the oxidation of halides and small organic molecules in the presence of H2O2...
- Doxorubicin inhibits oxidation of 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonate) (ABTS) by a lactoperoxidase/H(2)O(2) system by reacting with ABTS-derived radicalKrzysztof J Reszka
Research Service, VA Medical Center, Cincinnati, OH 45230, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 466:164-71. 2007The effect of doxorubicin on oxidation of 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonate) (ABTS) by lactoperoxidase and hydrogen peroxide has been investigated...
- A kinetic study on the lactoperoxidase catalyzed oxidation of estrogensRolf A Løvstad
Department of Medical Biochemistry, Institute Group of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Oslo, PO Box 1112, 0317 Blindern, Oslo, Norway
Biometals 19:587-92. 2006b>Lactoperoxidase, which is produced in mammary glands, is proposed to be involved in carcinogenesis, because of its ability to react with estrogenic molecules, oxidizing them to free radicals...
- Effect of different mucosal and acrylic resin surface treatments in a denture retention model for patients with radiotherapy-induced xerostomiaCumhur Sipahi
Department of Prosthodontics, Center of Dental Sciences, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, 06018 Etlik, Ankara, Turkey
Int J Prosthodont 20:405-8. 2007..Biotène was reported to improve patient comfort but had minimal effect on retentive force; however, Biotène can be assumed to be a more advantageous method of increasing retention compared to sandblasting (P < .05)...
- Determination of minor proteins of bovine milk and colostrum by optical biosensor analysisHarvey E Indyk
Fonterra, PO Box 7, Waitoa, New Zealand
J AOAC Int 89:898-902. 2006..label-free biosensor-based immunoassays for immunoglobulin G (IgG), folate binding protein, lactoferrin, and lactoperoxidase in bovine milk using surface plasmon resonance optical detection with direct binding assay format are ..
- Isolation of bovine lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase and enzymatically prepared lactoferricin from proteolytic digestion of bovine lactoferrin using adsorptive membrane chromatographyKerstin Plate
University of Hannover, Institute for Technical Chemistry, Callinstrasse 3, D 30167 Hannover, Germany
J Chromatogr A 1117:81-6. 2006A new downstream procedure for the isolation of bovine lactoferrin (bLf), lactoperoxidase and bovine lactoferricin (LfcinB) from sweet cheese whey was developed at the laboratory scale, based on membrane adsorber technology...
- In vitro antibacterial activities of oral care products against ventilator-associated pneumonia pathogensGunes Senol
Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases Department, Izmir Chest Diseases and Surgery Training and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
Am J Infect Control 35:531-5. 2007..Oral and oropharyngeal decontamination is one of the main issues for preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP)...
- Autocatalytic modification of the prosthetic heme of horseradish but not lactoperoxidase by thiocyanate oxidation products. A role for heme-protein covalent cross-linkingGrzegorz Wojciechowski
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, 600 16th Street, San Francisco, California 94143 2280, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:15871-9. 2005The mammalian peroxidases eosinophil peroxidase, lactoperoxidase (LPO), and myeloperoxidase oxidize thiocyanate to the antimicrobial agents hypothiocyanous acid (HOSCN) and (SCN)2 and are part of a defense system that protects the host ..
- Alternative strategies for activation of the natural lactoperoxidase system in cows' milk: trials in TanzaniaLeonard W T Fweja
Department of Food Biosciences, The University of Reading, P O Box 226, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AP, UK
J Dairy Res 74:381-6. 2007Thiocyanate content and lactoperoxidase activity of individual cow's milk of different breeds were determined, and the effects of different lactoperoxidase system (LP-s) activation strategies were compared...
- Anti-thyroid drugs and thyroid hormone synthesis: effect of methimazole derivatives on peroxidase-catalyzed reactionsGouriprasanna Roy
Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore 560 012, India
J Am Chem Soc 127:15207-17. 2005..of the diselenide by GSH or NaBH(4) affords the biologically active selenol, which effectively inhibits the lactoperoxidase (LPO) activity in vitro...
- Significance of frictional heating for effects of high pressure homogenisation on milkNivedita Datta
Australian Dairy Industry Centre for UHT Processing, School of Land and Food Sciences, University of Queensland, Queensland, Australia
J Dairy Res 72:393-9. 2005..effect of milk inlet temperature (in the range 10-50 degrees C) on residual plasmin, alkaline phosphatase, lactoperoxidase and lipase activities in raw whole bovine milk homogenised at 200 MPa was investigated...
- Purification of bovine milk lactoperoxidase and investigation of antibacterial properties at different thiocyanate mediatedM T Uğuz
Ataturk University, Medical Faculty, Department of Microbiology, Erzurum, Turkey
Prikl Biokhim Mikrobiol 41:397-401. 2005Bovine lactoperoxidase (LPO) was purified with amberlite CG 50 H+ resin, CM sephadex C-50 ion-exchange chromatography, and sephadex G-100 gel filtration chromatography from skim milk...
- Autocatalytic processing of heme by lactoperoxidase produces the native protein-bound prosthetic groupG D DePillis
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143 0446, USA
J Biol Chem 272:8857-60. 1997The covalently bound prosthetic group of lactoperoxidase (LPO) has been obtained by hydrolysis of the protein and identified as a dihydroxylated heme...
- Inactivation kinetics of alkaline phosphatase and lactoperoxidase, and denaturation kinetics of beta-lactoglobulin in raw milk under isothermal and dynamic temperature conditionsW L Claeys
Department of Food and Microbial Technology, Faculty of Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Heverlee, Belgium
J Dairy Res 68:95-107. 2001A detailed kinetic study of alkaline phosphatase, lactoperoxidase and beta-lactoglobulin was carried out in the context of identifying intrinsic time-temperature indicators for controlling the heat processing of milk...
- Asp-225 and glu-375 in autocatalytic attachment of the prosthetic heme group of lactoperoxidaseChristophe Colas
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, School of Pharmacy, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143 0446, USA
J Biol Chem 277:7191-200. 2002The heme in lactoperoxidase is attached to the protein by ester bonds between the heme 1- and 5-methyl groups and Glu-375 and Asp-275, respectively...
- Possible labile inhibition of the growth of Streptococcus uberis in milk from cows free from mastitisKirsty E Kliem
Institute for Animal Health, Newbury, Berkshire, RG20 7NN, UK
J Dairy Res 69:375-82. 2002..It is suggested that the inhibition is caused by a restriction in the supply of essential nutrients part of which may require the conversion of plasminogen to plasmin...
- The effect of commercially available saliva substitutes on predemineralized bovine dentin in vitroH Meyer-Lueckel
Department of Operative Dentistry and Periodontology, University School of Dental Medicine, Freie Universitaet, Berlin, Germany
Oral Dis 8:192-8. 2002..The objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of various saliva substitutes (Artisial; Glandosane; Oralube; Saliva medac; Oralbalance) on the lesion depth and the mineral content of predemineralized bovine dentin in vitro...
- [Do lactoferrin, lysozyme and the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate-hydrogen peroxide-system cause negative microbiological results in mastitis secretions?]H Schmedt Auf Der Günne
Tierklinik fur Fortpflanzung, AG Bestandsbetreuung und Qualitätsmanagement, Freie Universitat Berlin
Dtsch Tierarztl Wochenschr 109:300-5. 2002Lactoferrin, lysozyme and the lactoperoxidase-thiocyanate-peroxide-system are naturally occurring antimicrobial components of milk...
- Susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori and its urease activity to the peroxidase-hydrogen peroxide-thiocyanate antimicrobial systemK Shin
Nutritional Science Laboratory, Morinaga Milk Industry Co Ltd, Zama, Kanagawa, Japan
J Med Microbiol 51:231-7. 2002The susceptibility of Helicobacter pylori to the antimicrobial system involving lactoperoxidase, hydrogen peroxide and thiocyanate was investigated. The inhibitory effect of the system on the urease activity of H...
- Lactoperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation of thiocyanate by hydrogen peroxide: a reinvestigation of hypothiocyanite by nuclear magnetic resonance and optical spectroscopyPeter Nagy
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma 73019, USA
Biochemistry 45:12610-6. 2006..Method I is lactoperoxidase-catalyzed oxidation of SCN(-) by H(2)O(2) at pH 7. Method II is hydrolysis of (SCN)(2) at pH 13...
- Analysis time and lactation stage influence on lactoperoxidase system components in dairy ewe milkR L Althaus
Departamento de Ciencia Animal, , Spain
J Dairy Sci 84:1829-35. 2001To study the effect of time elapsed from the moment of taking samples on lactoperoxidase system components, we analyzed the activity of the lactoperoxidase enzyme and the concentrations of thiocyanate and hydrogen peroxide in 46 ..
- Purification of lactoperoxidase from bovine milk and investigation of the kinetic propertiesH Ozdemir
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Science and Arts, Ataturk University, Erzurum, Turkey
Prep Biochem Biotechnol 31:125-34. 2001b>Lactoperoxidase (LPO) was purified from bovine milk using Amberlite CG 50 H+ resin, CM Sephadex C-50 ion-exchange chromatography, and Sephadex G-100 gel filtration chromatography...
- Inhibition of Escherichia coli respiratory enzymes by the lactoperoxidase-hydrogen peroxide-thiocyanate antimicrobial systemK Shin
Nutritional Science Laboratory, Morinaga Milk Industry Co. Ltd, Kanagawa, Japan
J Appl Microbiol 90:489-93. 2001AIMS: The lactoperoxidase-hydrogen peroxide-thiocyanate antimicrobial system (LPAS) is known to inhibit bacterial respiration...
- The lactoperoxidase system increases efficacy of high-pressure inactivation of foodborne bacteriaCristina García-Graells
Laboratory of Food Microbiology, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg 22, B 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Int J Food Microbiol 81:211-21. 2003..Listeria innocua and Lactobacillus plantarum, by high hydrostatic pressure in skim milk supplemented with the lactoperoxidase-hydrogen peroxide-thiocyanate (LP) system at naturally occurring concentration was studied...
- Post-secretory fate of host defence components in mucusMatthias Salathe
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine, R 47, 1600 NW 10th Ave, RMSB 7063a, Miami, FL 33136, USA
Novartis Found Symp 248:20-6; discussion 27-37, 277-82. 2002..Among many antimicrobial substances, mucus contains a peroxidase identical to milk lactoperoxidase (LPO) that is produced by goblet cells and submucosal glands...
- Proton linkage for CO binding and redox properties of bovine lactoperoxidaseChiara Ciaccio
Department of Experimental Medicine and Biochemical Sciences, Universita di Tor Vergata, I 00133 Rome, Italy
Biophys J 86:448-54. 2004The pH-dependence of redox properties and of CO binding to bovine lactoperoxidase has been investigated over the range between 2 and 11...
- 5'-flanking regions of camel milk genes are highly similar to homologue regions of other species and can be divided into two distinct groupsS R Kappeler
Laboratory of Dairy Science, Institute of Food Science, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, CH 8092 Zurich, Switzerland
J Dairy Sci 86:498-508. 2003....
- Kinetics of alkaline phosphatase and lactoperoxidase inactivation, and of beta-lactoglobulin denaturation in milk with different fat contentWendie L Claeys
Department of Food and Microbial Technology, Faculty of Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kasteelpark Arenberg, 22, B 3001 Heverlee, Belgium
J Dairy Res 69:541-53. 2002..heat processing of milk, the extent to which milk fat content has an effect on alkaline phosphatase (ALP) and lactoperoxidase (Lpo) inactivation and on beta-lactoglobulin (beta-Ig) denaturation kinetics was studied...
- Effects of lactoperoxidase and hydrogen peroxide on rheological properties of yoghurtBarbaros Ozer
Harran University, Faculty of Agriculture, Dept of Food Engineering, Sanliurfa, Turkey
J Dairy Res 70:227-32. 2003The effects of activation of the lactoperoxidase (LPO) system by H2O2-NaSCN and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) on the accessibility of sulphydryl groups (SH) in skimmed milk, and on the dynamic rheological properties of the resulting yoghurt ..
- Oxidation of mitoxantrone by lactoperoxidaseThomas B Brück
School of Chemical and Life Sciences, University of Greenwich, Central Avenue, Chatham Maritime, Kent ME4 4TB, UK
Biochim Biophys Acta 1649:154-63. 2003The lactoperoxidase (LPO) catalysed oxidation of mitoxantrone, an anthraquinone type anti-cancer drug, was studied spectrophotometrically under turnover and single turnover conditions with a stopped flow apparatus...
- Protein radical formation during lactoperoxidase-mediated oxidation of the suicide substrate glutathione: immunochemical detection of a lactoperoxidase radical-derived 5,5-dimethyl-1-pyrroline N-oxide nitrone adductQiong Guo
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, PO Box 12233, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 279:13272-83. 2004..trapping and the sensitivity of antigen-antibody interactions, to investigate protein radical formation from lactoperoxidase (LPO)...
- Free radical reactions might contribute to severe alpha amanitin hepatotoxicity--a hypothesisAntoaneta Zheleva
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Thracian University, 6003 Stara Zagora, Bulgaria
Med Hypotheses 69:361-7. 2007..By UV-visible spectroscopy we also shown that alpha amanitin was sensitive to oxidation by a system of lactoperoxidase/H(2)O(2) and assumed formation of free radical toxin intermediates...
- Oxidative decarboxylation of tris-(p-carboxyltetrathiaaryl)methyl radical EPR probes by peroxidases and related hemeproteins: intermediate formation and characterization of the corresponding cationsChristophe Decroos
Laboratoire de Chimie et Biochimie Pharmacologiques et Toxicologiques, UMR 8601 CNRS, Universite Paris Descartes, 45 Rue des Saints Peres, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Arch Biochem Biophys 502:74-80. 2010..This article shows that peroxidases, such as horseradish peroxidase (HRP), lactoperoxidase (LPO) and prostaglandin synthase (PGHS), and other hemeproteins, such as methemoglobin (metHb), metmyoglobin (..
- Technological options for the production of health-promoting proteins and peptides derived from milk and colostrumH Korhonen
MTT Agrifood Research Finland, Biotechnology and Food Research, FIN 31600 Jokioinen, Finland
Curr Pharm Des 13:829-43. 2007..Industrial-scale methods have been developed for native whey proteins such as immunoglobulins, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase, alpha-lactalbumin and beta-lactoglobulin...
- Interrogation of heme pocket environment of mammalian peroxidases with diatomic ligandsH M Abu-Soud
Department of Cell Biology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Biochemistry 40:10747-55. 2001Recent studies demonstrate that myeloperoxidase (MPO), eosinophil peroxidase (EPO), and lactoperoxidase (LPO), homologous members of the mammalian peroxidase superfamily, can all serve as catalysts for generating nitric oxide- (nitrogen ..
- X-ray crystal structure of canine myeloperoxidase at 3 A resolutionJ Zeng
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Miami Medical School, FL 33101
J Mol Biol 226:185-207. 1992..of a family of homologous mammalian peroxidases that includes thyroid peroxidase, eosinophil peroxidase and lactoperoxidase. The heme environment, defined by our model for myeloperoxidase, appears to be highly conserved in these four ..
- Human milk proteins: key components for the biological activity of human milkBo Lonnerdal
Department of Nutrition and Program of International Nutrition, University of California, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 554:11-25. 2004..Proteins like lactoferrin, secretory IgA, kappa-casein, lactoperoxidase, haptocorrin, lactadherin and peptides formed from human milk proteins during digestion can inhibit the ..
- Expression of vitronectin receptor on human NK cells and its role in protein phosphorylation, cytokine production, and cell proliferationH Rabinowich
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, PA 15213
J Immunol 154:1124-35. 1995..NK cells was demonstrated by flow cytometry analysis, as well as biochemically, after 125I-labeled surface lactoperoxidase labeling and immunoprecipitation...
- The peroxidase-cyclooxygenase superfamily: Reconstructed evolution of critical enzymes of the innate immune systemMarcel Zamocky
Department of Chemistry, Division of Biochemistry, BOKU University of Natural Resources and Applied Life Sciences, A 1190 Vienna, Austria
Proteins 72:589-605. 2008..The sequences of intensively investigated human myeloperoxidase, eosinophil peroxidase, and lactoperoxidase, which participate in host defence against infections, were aligned together with newly found open reading ..
- Acetaminophen stimulates the peroxidative metabolism of anthracyclinesKrzysztof J Reszka
Research Service, VA Medical Center, Iowa City, IA 52246, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 427:16-29. 2004..Here, the effect of acetaminophen on the metabolism of daunorubicin and doxorubicin by isolated enzymes lactoperoxidase and myeloperoxidase, and by myeloperoxidase-containing human leukemia HL-60 cells was investigated using ..
- In vitro free radical metabolism of phenolphthalein by peroxidasesH J Sipe
Laboratory of Pharmacology and Chemistry, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Institutes of Health, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
Drug Metab Dispos 25:468-80. 1997..EPR spin-trapping studies of incubations of phenolphthalein with lactoperoxidase, reduced glutathione (GSH), and hydrogen peroxide with 5,5-dimethyl-1-pyrroline N-oxide (DMPO) demonstrate ..
- PeroxidasesP J O'Brien
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, 19 Russell Street, Ont, M5S 2S2, Toronto, Canada
Chem Biol Interact 129:113-39. 2000The family of human peroxidases described includes myeloperoxidase, eosinophil peroxidase, uterine peroxidase, lactoperoxidase, salivary peroxidase, thyroid peroxidase and prostaglandin H1/2 synthases...
- Evidence for a radical mechanism in peroxidase-catalyzed coupling. II. Single turnover experiments with horseradish peroxidaseD R Doerge
National Center for Toxicological Research, Jefferson, Arkansas 72079 9502
Arch Biochem Biophys 315:90-9. 1994..HRP was used because, unlike thyroid peroxidase (TPO) and lactoperoxidase (LPO), the spectral properties of compounds I and II are readily distinguishable...
- Recombinant Human TSH Superagonists for Imaging of Thyroid CancerBruce Weintraub; Fiscal Year: 2007..Selected TSH analogs will then be labeled with 123I or 125I by the lactoperoxidase method and characterized by various physicochemical methods as well as their binding affinity to the TSH ..
- Role of sodium-thiocyanate symporters in the antibacterial airway host defenseBotond Banfi; Fiscal Year: 2009..This novel mechanism kills bacteria by producing bactericidal hypothiocyanite (OSCN-) in a lactoperoxidase (LPO)-catalyzed reaction: H2O2 + SCN- ? OSCN-...
- Role of sodium-thiocyanate symporters in the antibacterial airway host defenseBotond Banfi; Fiscal Year: 2010..This novel mechanism kills bacteria by producing bactericidal hypothiocyanite (OSCN-) in a lactoperoxidase (LPO)-catalyzed reaction: H2O2 + SCN- ? OSCN-...
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND HEPATIC TOXICITY OF CARBON RADICALSPaul Ortiz de Montellano; Fiscal Year: 2007..support, including (a) identification of the residues in autocatalytic covalent binding of the heme group in lactoperoxidase, (b) Identification of specific residues in lactoperoxidase that are converted to free radicals centers upon ..
- Electronic/Molecular Structure of Enzyme Heme PocketsGERD LA MAR; Fiscal Year: 2004..the heme electronic structure that results from the covalent heme links to the protein matrix in 78 kDa lactoperoxidase. Studies on ligated and substrate-bound human heme oxygenase will focus on reconciling the apparent ..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND HEPATIC TOXICITY OF CARBON RADICALSPaul Ortiz de Montellano; Fiscal Year: 2003..key advances made during the expiring period of support: (a) the demonstration that the prosthetic heme of lactoperoxidase, and probably all other mammalian peroxidases, is covalently bound to the protein by an autocatalytic process,..
- BIOCHEMISTRY AND HEPATIC TOXICITY OF CARBON RADICALSPaul Ortiz de Montellano; Fiscal Year: 1999..rarely by monooxygenases, (b) successful expression of catalytically active horseradish peroxidase (HRP) and lactoperoxidase in a baculovirus system, and (c) initial exploration of the structure-activity relationships for horseradish ..
- CLONING AND CHARACTERIZING B SUBTILIS APASE GENESMARION HULETT; Fiscal Year: 1990..integral membrane APase and verify previously reported endo-location of the peripheral membrane APase using lactoperoxidase 125I-labeling of intact and lysed protoplasts. Localize sporulation APase...
- MAMMALIAN HEME PEROXIDASE ACTIVE SITE REACTIVITYHAROLD GOFF; Fiscal Year: 2001..Only very recently hav the heme structures been identified for myeloperoxidase and lactoperoxidase. The structures are unprecedented for heme compounds, in that the 1- and 5-position methyl groups of the ..
- MYELIN PROTEIN POLYMORPHISM AND MEMBRANE BIOGENESISJohn Carson; Fiscal Year: 1980..lipids - using equilibrium dialysis in organic solvents to compare their lipid binding capcities and using lactoperoxidase catalyzed iodination and controlled proteolysis to study their conformations in liposomes...