- The long-term effect of doxazosin, finasteride, and combination therapy on the clinical progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia
John D McConnell
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX 75390 9110, USA
N Engl J Med 349:2387-98. 2003
..The long-term effect of these drugs, singly or combined, on the risk of clinical progression is unknown...
- The influence of finasteride on the development of prostate cancer
Ian M Thompson
University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, USA
N Engl J Med 349:215-24. 2003
..Finasteride, an inhibitor of 5alpha-reductase, inhibits the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, the primary androgen in the prostate, and may reduce the risk of prostate cancer...
- Efficacy and safety of a dual inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase types 1 and 2 (dutasteride) in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Claus G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Urology 60:434-41. 2002
..To study the efficacy and safety of dutasteride, a dual inhibitor of the 5-alpha-reductase isoenzymes types I and II...
- Intermittent use of testosterone inactivating pharmaceuticals using finasteride prolongs the time off period
Mark C Scholz
Prostate Oncology Specialists, Marina del Rey, California, USA
J Urol 175:1673-8. 2006
..Men with prostate cancer treated intermittently with TIP benefit from improved quality of life when TOP with recovered testosterone is prolonged. We examined factors influencing the duration of TOP...
- Effect of the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor dutasteride on markers of tumor regression in prostate cancer
G L Andriole
Division of Urologic Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
J Urol 172:915-9. 2004
..In this short-term pilot study we examined the effect of the dual 5alphaR inhibitor dutasteride on markers of tumor regression...
- Phytotherapy in the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia
F C Lowe
Department of Urology, St Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, New York 10023, USA
Urology 58:71-6; discussion 76-7. 2001
..So each agent/product must be studied individually. Until more appropriately conducted trials are undertaken, the efficacy of phytotherapeutic agents will remain unproven...
- The prevention of prostate cancer--the dilemma continues
Peter T Scardino
N Engl J Med 349:297-9. 2003
- Reduced adipose glucocorticoid reactivation and increased hepatic glucocorticoid clearance as an early adaptation to high-fat feeding in Wistar rats
Amanda J Drake
Endocrinology Unit, School of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 146:913-9. 2005
..Acute exposure to HF diet alters glucocorticoid metabolism, predicting lower hepatic and adipose intracellular glucocorticoid concentrations, which may be a key mechanism protecting against the metabolic complications of obesity...
- Consensus statement: the role of prostate-specific antigen in managing the patient with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
BJU Int 93:27-9. 2004
- Efficacy and tolerability of doxazosin and finasteride, alone or in combination, in treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia: the Prospective European Doxazosin and Combination Therapy (PREDICT) trial
Roger S Kirby
St George s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Urology 61:119-26. 2003
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of the selective alpha(1)-adrenergic antagonist doxazosin and the 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, alone and in combination, for the symptomatic treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia...
- Efficacy and safety of long-term treatment with the dual 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor dutasteride in men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia
426 Department of Urology, University Hospital Nijmegen, Geert Grooteplein 10, P O Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur Urol 46:488-94; discussion 495. 2004
..This paper reports the pooled results of a 2-year open-label extension of the three randomised studies assessing the long-term efficacy and safety of dutasteride...
- Chemoprevention of prostate cancer in men at high risk: rationale and design of the reduction by dutasteride of prostate cancer events (REDUCE) trial
Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Washington University School of Medicine, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 172:1314-7. 2004
..It represents a biologically plausible target for chemoprevention through the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase isoenzymes...
- Long-term therapy with the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor dutasteride is well tolerated in men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia
Department of Urology, University Clinics of Brussels, Erasme Hospital, Brussels, Belgium
BJU Int 97:73-9; discussion 79-80. 2006
..To examine the long-term (4-year) safety and tolerability of dutasteride in the treatment of symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- 5alpha-reductases in human breast carcinoma: possible modulator of in situ androgenic actions
Department of Pathology, Tohoku University School of Medicine, Tohoku University Hospital N A, T M, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2250-7. 2001
- Body fat distribution and cortisol metabolism in healthy men: enhanced 5beta-reductase and lower cortisol/cortisone metabolite ratios in men with fatty liver
Department of Medicine, Division of Diabetes, University of Helsinki, 00029 Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4924-31. 2003
- Drug Insight: 5alpha-reductase inhibitors for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
Department of Urology at the University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Nat Clin Pract Urol 3:495-503. 2006
..This provides a mandate for their use in men with enlarged prostates (volume >or=30 ml), who are at increased risk of disease progression...
- Combination of low-dose flutamide and finasteride for PSA-only recurrent prostate cancer after primary therapy
Al Baha Barqawi
Division of Urology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado 80262, USA
Urology 62:872-6. 2003
..To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of combined finasteride and low-dose flutamide for prostate-specific antigen (PSA)-only recurrence after definitive therapy and to determine the predictors of recurrence-free survival...
- The biological basis for the use of an anti-androgen and a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor in the treatment of recurrent prostate cancer: Case report and review
Long G Wang
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, New York, NY 10029, USA
Oncol Rep 11:1325-9. 2004
..Thus, passage to androgen independence may have been slowed or arrested...
- Effect of early treatment of prostate cancer with the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor turosteride in Dunning R3327 prostatic carcinoma in rats
Laboratory of Experimental Endocrinology, Department of Oncology Research, Pharmacia and Upjohn, Nerviano, Italy
Prostate 35:237-42. 1998
..We evaluated the preventive effect of turosteride when administered during the latency period in this prostatic tumor model...
- The role of 5-alpha-reductase inhibition as monotherapy in view of the MTOPS data
Jaspreet S Sandhu
Department of Urology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 1300 York Avenue, New York, NY 10021, USA
Curr Urol Rep 5:274-9. 2004
..Furthermore, long-term 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor monotherapy, although slow in onset, is a viable therapy for symptom relief in men with mild to moderate symptoms...
- The use of baseline clinical measures to predict those at risk for progression of benign prostatic hyperplasia
Edward D Kim
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Tennessee Medical Center, 1928 Alcoa Highway, Knoxville, TN 37920, USA
Curr Urol Rep 5:267-73. 2004
..This article highlights recent studies regarding the use of baseline clinical parameters on predicting BPH progression...
- The impact of participation in a study of medical treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms on the incidence of prostate surgery
L M Eri
Department of Urology, Aker Hospital, Oslo, Norway
World J Urol 19:256-8. 2001
..001). Among the Norwegian participants in SCARP, prostate surgery was performed more frequently after completion of SCARP. Several possible explanations are discussed...
- Prevention of prostate cancer
S E DePrimo
Department of Urology, Stanford University School of Medicine, California 94305-5118, USA
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 15:445-57. 2001
..This article summarizes the current status and opportunities in prostate cancer prevention...
- Comparison of the pharmacological effects of a novel selective androgen receptor modulator, the 5alpha-reductase inhibitor finasteride, and the antiandrogen hydroxyflutamide in intact rats: new approach for benign prostate hyperplasia
Division of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, College of Pharmacy, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Endocrinology 145:5420-8. 2004
..S-1 simply worked as androgen receptor partial agonist, whereas finasteride inhibited prostatic 5alpha-reductase. These studies indicate that SARMs may demonstrate clinical utility as single agent or combination therapy for BPH...
- Dihydrotestosterone and the prostate: the scientific rationale for 5alpha-reductase inhibitors in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
Division of Urological Surgery, Washington University in St Louis, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
J Urol 172:1399-403. 2004
..We reviewed the physiological and pathogenic role of dihydrotestosterone (DHT), evidence for the beneficial effects of decreasing DHT through 5alpha-reductase inhibition and the effects of altering the androgen balance with these agents...
- Two for the price of one?
Urodoc Ltd, Maryland Ridgeway Road, Herne, Kent CT6 7LN, UK
Br J Pharmacol 144:1-2. 2005
- Clinical application of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors
Department of Clinical Physiopathology, Endocrine Unit, University of Florence, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 24:199-203. 2001
..Similarly, the dual inhibitors seem indicated in attempting to prevent prostatic cancer. The pure 5alpha-reductase 1 inhibitors seem the ideal drugs for treatment of acne and hirsutism...
- Effect of finasteride on risk of prostate cancer: how little we really know
Mark A Rubin
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Cell Biochem 91:478-82. 2004
..Confirmation of a spurious tumor grade "inflation" will make the conclusions of this study clearer and define the benefits of finasteride chemoprevention in a more favorable light...
- Enzymatic and binding activities of 5 alpha-reductase and androgen receptors in hamster prostate
Department of Biological Systems and Animal Production Metropolitan University Xochimilco, Mexico D F, Mexico
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 46:128-31. 2003
- Hormonal and morphologic evaluation of the effects of antiandrogens on the blood supply of the rat prostate
Department of Urology, Gunma University School of Medicine, Maebashi, Gunma, Japan
Urology 62:942-6. 2003
..The effectiveness of antiandrogens on the control of hemorrhagic status in prostatic diseases has been previously reported...
- 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors: what's new?
Charlotte L Foley
Prostate Cancer Research Unit, Institute of Urology and Nephrology, University College London, 67 Riding House Street, London W1W 7EY, UK
Curr Opin Urol 13:31-7. 2003
..Medical therapy is now the first-line treatment for most men with symptomatic benign prostatic hyperplasia. This review aims to highlight the recent contributions to our understanding of 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor usage...
- 5 alpha-reductase inhibition by a new synthetic steroid (PM-9) in cultures of Penicillium crustosum
Department of Biological Systems, Metropolitan University Xochimilco, Mexico D F, Mexico
Proc West Pharmacol Soc 45:164-5. 2002
..The results of this study show that both finasteride and PM-9 inhibit 5 alpha-reductase in a competitive manner...
- [Dihydrotestosterone and the role of 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors in benign prostatic hyperplasia]
Urol Universitätsklinik, Frauen und Kopfklinik, Anichstrasse 35, 6020 Innsbruck Osterreich
Urologe A 41:412-24. 2002
..However, the circulating and intraprostatic DHT could be further reduced by a more effective dual 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor, which would be efficacious in the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia and other DHT-related disorders...
- Hormonal prevention of prostate cancer
Otis W Brawley
Professor of Medicine, Oncology and Epidemiology, The Winship Cancer Institute, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Urol Oncol 21:67-72. 2003
..A placebo controlled randomized trial using finasteride, an inhibitor of 5-alpha-reductase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone, is ongoing. The endpoint of this trial is reduction of prostate cancer incidence...
- The benefits of finasteride for hirsute women with polycystic ovary syndrome or idiopathic hirsutism
E M Lakryc
Department of Gynecology of the Federal University of Sao Paulo, Escola Paulista de Medicina, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Gynecol Endocrinol 17:57-63. 2003
..In conclusion, our data suggest that finasteride may be effective for the treatment of the hirsute woman with idiopathic hirsutism or polycystic ovary syndrome...
- Effects of finasteride on vascular endothelial growth factor
Department of Surgical and Perioperative Sciences, Urology and Andrology, Umea University, Sweden
Scand J Urol Nephrol 36:182-7. 2002
..The objective of this study was to explore the response to finasteride on the vasculature and the expression of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a potent regulatory factor of angiogenesis in human prostate tissue...
- Effect of finasteride on the ovulatory function of normal women
I Lane Wong
Fertil Steril 79:1455-7. 2003
- [Finasteride: 10 years of clinical use. Systematic review of the literature]
J F Jimenez Cruz
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Universitario La Fe, Valencia
Actas Urol Esp 27:202-15. 2003
..After ten years of clinical use of Finasteride in patients with BPH, we carried out a systematic review of the literature including the assessment of their quality and grading the level of evidence for clinical recommendations...
- Testosterone stimulates proliferation and inhibits interleukin-6 production of normal and hereditary gingival fibromatosis fibroblasts
Ricardo D Coletta
Department of Oral Pathology, University of Campinas Dental School, Caixa Postal 52, 13414 018 Piracicaba SP, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Oral Microbiol Immunol 17:186-92. 2002
..These results show that testosterone coordinates the proliferation and production of IL-6 of normal and HGF fibroblasts...
- Dihydrotestosterone and the concept of 5alpha-reductase inhibition in human benign prostatic hyperplasia
Department of Urology, University of Innsbruck, Austria
World J Urol 19:413-25. 2002
..A clinical evaluation of potent dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitors may help to define the relative roles of human type 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase in the pathophysiology of benign prostatic hyperplasia and other androgen-dependent diseases...
- Androgen-induced prostate-specific antigen gene expression is mediated via dihydrotestosterone in LNCaP cells
Yuan Shan Zhu
Department of Medicine Endocrinology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York, USA
J Androl 24:681-7. 2003
..These results suggest that both 5alpha-reductase isozymes are present and functionally important in prostatic tumor LNCaP cells and that DHT is a major mediator of androgen induction of PSA gene expression in these cells...
- Effects of finasteride on serum testosterone and body mass index in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Claus G Roehrborn
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390 9110, USA
Urology 62:894-9. 2003
..To examine the effect of finasteride on serum testosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)...
- Determination of concentrations of sex steroids in blood plasma and semen of male dogs treated with delmadinone acetate or finasteride
Institute for Reproductive Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, , D-30559 Hannover, Germany
J Reprod Fertil Suppl 57:83-91. 2001
..Delmadinone acetate and finasteride caused reversible suppression of the secretory activity of the prostate gland. The application of delmadinone acetate led to a temporary alteration of maturation of epididymal spermatozoa...
- 5alpha-reductase inhibitors: what role should they play?
S A Kaplan
Department of Urology, Columbia University, New York, New York, USA
Urology 58:65-70; discussion 70. 2001
..Baseline parameters, such as prostate volume, prostate-specific antigen values, and whether to administer finasteride in combination with alpha blockers, are among the factors that will determine the appropriateness of such therapy...
- 5alpha-reductase activity in the prostate
W D Steers
Department of Urology, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, Virginia 22908, USA
Urology 58:17-24; discussion 24. 2001
- Long-term 6-year experience with finasteride in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Franklin C Lowe
Department of Urology, Saint Luke s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10019, USA
Urology 61:791-6. 2003
..To summarize the 6-year clinical trial data with finasteride. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a chronic and progressive disease and therefore assessment of long-term safety and efficacy is important...
- Effects of 5 alpha reductase inhibitors on androgen-dependent human prostatic carcinoma cells
Prostate Biology Laboratory Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila Science and Technology School, Via Vetoio Coppito 2, 67100 L Aquila, Italy
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 131:243-54. 2005
- Ockham's razor and selective androgen receptor modulators (SARMs): are we overlooking the role of 5alpha-reductase?
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, University at Buffalo SUNY, Buffalo, NY 14260, USA
Mol Interv 7:10-3. 2007
- Medical treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia
Stephen S Connolly
Mater Misericordiae Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Postgrad Med J 83:73-8. 2007
..Pharmaceutical preparations are commonly used for benign prostate hyperplasia. This article reviews the current understanding of the natural history of the condition and the literature regarding medical treatment...
- Finasteride to evaluate the efficacy of dutasteride in the management of patients with lower urinary tract symptoms and enlarged prostate
I R Ravish
Department of Urology, KLES Kidney Foundation, Belgaum, India
Arch Androl 53:17-20. 2007
..Dutasteride with its inhibitory effects on type 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase, produces significantly better results than Finasteride...
- Importance of the intracrine metabolism of adrenal androgens in androgen-dependent prostate cancer
Division of Urology, Department of Regenerative and Transplant Medicine, Niigata University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Science, Asahimachi 1 757, Niigata 951 8510, Japan
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 10:301-6. 2007
..This is the first report confirming this mechanism experimentally and also suggest the use of combined therapies that target ARs and prevent the formation of DHT within prostate cancer cells to achieve optimal therapeutic efficacy...
- 5alpha-reductase inhibition for men with enlarged prostate
Muta M Issa
Department of Urology, Emory University School of Medicine AVAMC 112, Atlanta, Georgia 30033, USA
J Am Acad Nurse Pract 19:398-407. 2007
..This article reviews the use of alpha-blockers and 5alpha-reductase inhibitors (5ARIs) in the management of LUTS and enlarged prostate...
- Effects of dutasteride on prostate growth in the large probasin-large T antigen mouse model of prostate cancer
T C Shao
Department of Medicine, Michael E DeBakey Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
J Urol 178:1521-7. 2007
..We evaluated the effects of dutasteride for preventing or delaying prostate growth and neoplastic changes in a transgenic model of prostate cancer...
- [Benign prostatic hyperplasia: medical therapy]
Klinik und Poliklinik fur Urologie, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen
MMW Fortschr Med 149:29-31; quiz 32. 2007
..Plant extracts, alpha-blockers and 5-alpha reductase inhibitors represent the most common prescribed substances. Recent data suggest beneficial effects for the use of antimuscarinic agents and phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors...
- [Comparison of different drugs on the treatment of benign prostate hyperplasia]
Ning chen Li
Department of Urology, Peking University First Hospital, Institute of Urology, Beijing 100034, China
Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi 45:947-50. 2007
..To compare the differences of the efficacy and different therapeutic drugs on the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in order to ensure the optimal indication for different BPH patients...
- [Hormonal therapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia]
Department of Urology, Nagasaki University School of Medicine
Nihon Rinsho 60:358-61. 2002
- The concentrations of the endogenous C19-steroids in hyperplastic prostatic tissue and the effect of finasteride treatment
Institute of Endocrinology, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic
Horm Metab Res 28:562-4. 1996
..The prostatic tissue from the patients treated with finasteride for 8 weeks showed a significant decrease not only in DHT but also in androstenedione and epiT, whereas the concentration of testosterone increased significantly...
- The rationale for inhibiting 5alpha-reductase isoenzymes in the prevention and treatment of prostate cancer
Donald J Tindall
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Urol 179:1235-42. 2008
..Dihydrotestosterone, the primary prostatic androgen, is transformed from testosterone by types 1 and 2 5alpha-reductase and, thus, a potential therapeutic benefit could be achieved through the inhibition of 5alpha-reductase...
- 5-Alpha reductase inhibitors in men with an enlarged prostate: an evaluation of outcomes and therapeutic alternatives
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S148-53. 2008
- Comparative analysis of alpha-blocker utilization in combination with 5-alpha reductase inhibitors for enlarged prostate in a managed care setting among Medicare-aged men
Muta M Issa
Department of Urology, Emory University, 1670 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
Am J Manag Care 14:S160-6. 2008
..To evaluate the likelihood of alpha-adrenergic antagonist (alpha-blocker) discontinuation in combination with dutasteride or finasteride among patients aged > or =65 years with enlarged prostate...
- Preventing prostate cancer: new analyses put finasteride back on the map
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1132-3. 2008
- Association between 5-alpha reductase inhibition and risk of hip fracture
Steven J Jacobsen
Department of Research and Evaluation, Kaiser Permanente Southern California, 100 S Los Robles Ave, Second Floor, Pasadena, CA 91101, USA
JAMA 300:1660-4. 2008
..Short-term studies show no effects of these agents on bone metabolism,but long-term data are not available...
- Efficacy and tolerability of the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor, dutasteride, in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia in African-American men
C G Roehrborn
Department of Urology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, Dallas, TX 75390, USA
Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis 9:432-8. 2006
..Therefore, dutasteride demonstrated similar efficacy and safety profiles in African-Americans and Caucasians...
- Pharmacologic basis for the enhanced efficacy of dutasteride against prostatic cancers
Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:4072-9. 2006
..Therefore, the levels of expression SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 and the antiprostatic cancer growth response to finasteride, a selective SRD5A2 inhibitor, versus the dual SRD5A1 and SRD5A2 inhibitor, dutasteride, were compared...
- The impact of medical therapy on surgery for benign prostatic hyperplasia: a study comparing changes in a decade (1992-2002)
Department of Urology, Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, Spain
BJU Int 96:1045-8. 2005
- Suppression of spermatogenesis with desogestrel and testosterone pellets is not enhanced by addition of finasteride
Contraceptive Development Network, Centre for Reproductive Biology, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
J Androl 22:88-95. 2001
..However, these data do not support the involvement of 5alpha-reductase in maintaining residual spermatogenesis during gonadotropin suppression for hormonal male contraception...
- In vivo evidence for an increase in 5alpha-reductase activity in the rat central nervous system following morphine exposure
Department of Pharmacology, Neuroscience Research Center, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, P O Box 19835 355, Tehran, Iran
Int J Dev Neurosci 23:621-6. 2005
..These results suggest that morphine exposure increase the CNS activity of 5alpha-reductase, which is an important metabolizing enzyme for testosterone...
- [5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (DHT)]
Department of Urology, Chiba University Hospital
Nihon Rinsho 63:452-6. 2005
- Selecting therapy for maintaining sexual function in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia
Department of Urology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
BJU Int 96:237-43. 2005
..Finally, the capacity to be creative in academic departments is extolled as a core property of academicians, and its surfacing described as having the potential to revitalize individuals and departments...
- Oral testosterone in oil: pharmacokinetic effects of 5alpha reduction by finasteride or dutasteride and food intake in men
John K Amory
University of Washington, Box 356429, 1959 NE Pacific St, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
J Androl 27:72-8. 2006
..Additional studies of the combination of oral T in oil with 5alpha-reductase inhibitors as a novel form of oral T therapy are warranted...
- Actions of 5alpha-reductase inhibitors on the epididymis
Departments of Pharmacology and Therapeutics and of Obstetrics and Gynecology, McGill University, Montreal, Que, Canada
Mol Cell Endocrinol 250:190-5. 2006
..Mating females to treated males resulted in fewer successful pregnancies and a higher rate of pre-implantation loss. Thus, there may be a role for dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitors as potential components of a male contraceptive...
- [Is tumour grade applicable to finasteride-treated prostate cancer?]
Fondation Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris, France
Prog Urol 15:387-91. 2005
- In vivo and in vitro effect of novel 4,16-pregnadiene-6,20-dione derivatives, as 5alpha-reductase inhibitors
Department of Pharmacy, Faculty of Chemistry, National University of Mexico City, Mexico D F, Mexico
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 111:275-81. 2008
..Apparently the presence of the halogen atoms in compounds 11a-11c enhances the inhibitory activity for the 5alpha-reductase enzyme...
- Evaluation of androgens in the scalp hair and plasma of patients with male-pattern baldness before and after finasteride administration
H K Ryu
Bioanalysis and Biotransformation Research Centre, Korea Institute of Science and Technology, PO Box 131, Cheongryang, Seoul, 130 605, Korea
Br J Dermatol 154:730-4. 2006
..It is also notable that the androgenic effect in MPB is different for each region of the head...
- Relationship between testosterone levels, insulin sensitivity, and mitochondrial function in men
Steven A Kaplan
Diabetes Care 29:749; author reply 749-50. 2006
- RE: Effect of the dual 5alpha-reductase inhibitor dutasteride on markers of tumor regression in prostate cancer
W Reid Pitts
J Urol 173:1433-4; author reply 1434-5. 2005
- Prostate cancer chemoprevention: Strategies for designing efficient clinical trials
National Cancer Institute, Rockville, Maryland 20852, USA
Urology 57:224-9. 2001
- Gene expression in hair follicle dermal papilla cells after treatment with stanozolol
Physiology Weihenstephan Technische Universität München Weihenstephaner Berg 3, D 85354 Freising Germany
Biomark Insights 4:1-8. 2008
..In this feasibility study first biomarker for a screening pattern of anabolic agents could be identified providing the rationality to investigate modified, metabolic pathways in the whole hair follicle...
- Bioequivalence of a single 10-mg dose of finasteride 5-mg oral disintegrating tablets and standard tablets in healthy adult male Han Chinese volunteers: a randomized sequence, open-label, two-way crossover study
Key Laboratory of Drug Targeting and Novel Drug Delivery Systems, West China School of Pharmacy, Sichuan University, Chengdu, China
Clin Ther 31:2242-8. 2009
..Information regarding its pharmacokinetics and bioequivalence was required to assess the efficacy and safety of this formulation before marketing it in China...
- In vitro modulation of steroid 5alpha-reductase activity by phospholipases in epithelium and stroma of human benign prostatic hyperplasia
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Transfusion and Laboratory Medicine, University Clinic Bergmannsheil, Burkle de la Camp Platz 1, D 44789, Bochum, Germany
Steroids 66:521-8. 2001
..Thus, changes in membrane phospholipid content seem to be instrumental in the expression of DHT-dependent processes...
- Undervirilization in XY newborns may hide a 5α-reductase deficiency: report of three new SRD5A2 gene mutations
Service d Hormonologie, Hopital Lapeyronie, CHU Montpellier et UMI, Montpellier, France
Int J Androl 33:841-7. 2010
..Early molecular diagnosis is indispensable for the crucial decision of the newborn's sex of rearing...
- The identification of 5 alpha-reductase-2 and 17 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-3 gene defects in male pseudohermaphrodites from a Turkish kindred
Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:560-9. 1998
- A class of 4-aza-lithocholic acid-derived haptens for the generation of catalytic antibodies with steroid synthase capabilities
Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Bioorg Med Chem 8:995-1003. 2000
..Surprisingly, an inhibition study showed that the isomer with the inverted configuration at the N-oxide bound more strongly to this catalytic antibody...
- Occurrence of steroidogenic enzymes in the bovine mammary gland at different functional stages
Department of Biology, University of Padova, Italy
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 59:339-47. 1996
..It is uncertain, however, whether this conclusion applies to anestrous or ovariectomized lactating cows as well...
- In vitro inhibition of androstenedione 5alpha-reduction by finasteride in epithelium and stroma of human benign prostatic hyperplasia
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Transfusion and Laboratory Medicine, University Clinic Bergmannsheil, Bochum, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 67:49-55. 1998
- Isolated micropenis reveals partial androgen insensitivity syndrome confirmed by molecular analysis
Pediatric Endocrinology Division of Maimonides Infants and Children s Hospital of Brooklyn, Children s Hospital at SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY 11219, USA
Asian J Androl 12:561-6. 2010
..This underlines the importance of including AR gene analysis in the evaluation of isolated micropenis with normal plasma T to ensure proper management of the patient and appropriate genetic counseling for the family...
- 19-nor-10-azasteroids: a novel class of inhibitors for human steroid 5alpha-reductases 1 and 2
Dipartimento di Chimica Organica Ugo Schiff, Universita di Firenze, Italy
J Med Chem 40:1112-29. 1997
..The results of ab initio calculations suggest that the inhibition potency of 19-nor-10-azasteroids could be directly related to the nucleophilicity of the carbonyl group in the 3-position...
- Pretranslational up-regulation of the hepatic microsomal delta4-3-oxosteroid 5alpha-oxidoreductase in male rat liver by all-trans-retinoic acid
School of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia
Biochem Pharmacol 58:355-62. 1999
- Analysis of genetic polymorphisms of steroid 5alpha-reductase type 1 and 2 genes in Korean men with androgenetic alopecia
Seog Jun Ha
Department of Dermatology, St Paul s Hospital, The Catholic University of Korea, 620 56 Junnong 2 dong, Dongdaemun ku, 130 709, Seoul, South Korea
J Dermatol Sci 31:135-41. 2003
..Genetic polymorphisms and ethnic variations have not been studied for Asians, although it is suggested that racial difference could exist and influence clinical phenotypes...
- Identification of missense mutations in the SRD5A2 gene from patients with steroid 5alpha-reductase 2 deficiency
Department of Reproductive Biology, Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Tlalpan, Mexico
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 52:383-7. 2000
..Here we performed genomic DNA analyses from individuals bearing the enzyme deficiency in order to detect the molecular abnormalities...
- Changes in the expression of steroid metabolism-related genes in rat adrenal glands during selective REM sleep deprivation
Neuroscience Group in Department of Pharmacology, Tokushima University School of Medicine, 3 18 15 Kuramoto, Japan
Life Sci 72:1973-82. 2003
..These results indicate that REM sleep deprivation by itself may affect the expression of steroid metabolism-related genes in the adrenal gland, suggesting a possible relation between REM sleep and adrenocortical steroid metabolism...
- Male pseudohermaphroditism resulting from a novel mutation in the human steroid 5 alpha-reductase type 2 gene (SRD5A2)
Department of Medicine, University of Leeds
Mol Pathol 50:51-2. 1997
..This mutation produces an amino acid change from glutamic acid to lysine, and may affect the ability of the enzyme to bind its co-factor...
- Effects of steroid 5alpha-reductase inhibitor ONO-9302 and anti-androgen allylestrenol on the prostatic growth, and plasma and prostatic hormone levels in rats
Discovery Research Laboratories, Ono Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd, Osaka, Japan
Jpn J Pharmacol 74:243-52. 1997
..These results suggest that ONO-9302 reduces the prostatic growth by inhibiting the conversion of T to DHT in the prostate without lowering blood T level unlike anti-androgen drugs...
- Steroid 5alpha-reductase inhibitors
National University Mexico D F and Metropolitan University Mexico D F, Mexico
Mini Rev Med Chem 3:225-37. 2003
..The trienones having a more coplanar structure react faster with the enzyme and thus show a higher inhibitory activity...
- Polymorphic markers in the 5alpha-reductase type II gene and the incidence of prostate cancer
Program in Epidemiology, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA 98109 1024, USA
Int J Cancer 105:480-3. 2003
- Uniparental disomy in steroid 5alpha-reductase 2 deficiency
Department of Reproductive Biology, Instituto Nacional de la Nutricion Salvador Zubiran, Mexico
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3147-50. 2000
..The results of our study give evidence of the first case of 5alpha-reductase deficiency resulting from uniparental disomy and also disclose an alternate mechanism whereby this enzymatic disorder can derive from a single parent...
- Prostate carcinoma risk and allelic variants of genes involved in androgen biosynthesis and metabolism pathways
A G Latil
Center for Research into Prostate Pathologies, Evry, France
Cancer 92:1130-7. 2001
..The authors evaluated the association between polymorphisms in genes involved in the androgen biosynthesis and metabolism pathway and the risk of prostate carcinoma...
- Analysis of the steroid binding domain of rat steroid 5alpha-reductase (isozyme-1): the steroid D-ring binding domain of 5alpha-reductase
A K Bhattacharyya
VA Medical Center and Department of OB GYN, University of Kentucky, Lexington 40536, USA
Steroids 64:197-204. 1999
..Site-directed mutagenesis studies indicated that mutant F18L showed an approximately 12-fold increase in the Km for testosterone, whereas the Km for reduced nicotinomide adenine dinucleotide phosphate remained virtually unaltered...
- Maintenance of intratumoral androgens in metastatic prostate cancer: a mechanism for castration-resistant tumor growth
R Bruce Montgomery
Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Weattle, WA, USA
Cancer Res 68:4447-54. 2008
..Maximal therapeutic efficacy in the treatment of castration-resistant prostate cancer will require novel agents capable of inhibiting intracrine steroidogenic pathways within the prostate tumor microenvironment...
- Expression cloning and characterization of oxidative 17beta- and 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases from rat and human prostate
M G Biswas
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75235 9046, USA
J Biol Chem 272:15959-66. 1997
..The synthesis of an active steroid hormone by back conversion of an inactive metabolite represents a potentially important mechanism by which the steady state level of a transcriptional effector can be regulated...
- Association between SNPs within candidate genes and compounds related to boar taint and reproduction
The Norwegian Pig Breeders Association NORSVIN, Hamar, Norway
BMC Genet 10:32. 2009
..The aim of this study was to detect SNPs in boar taint candidate genes and to perform association studies for both single SNPs and haplotypes with levels of boar taint compounds and phenotypes related to reproduction...