Genomes and Genes
nitric oxide synthase
Summary: An NADPH-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-ARGININE and OXYGEN to produce CITRULLINE and NITRIC OXIDE.
Publications332 found, 100 shown here
- Nitric oxide and the immune responseC Bogdan
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Wasserturmstrasse 3 5, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Nat Immunol 2:907-16. 2001..Its striking inter- and intracellular signaling capacity makes it extremely difficult to predict the effect of NOS inhibitors and NO donors, which still hampers therapeutic applications...
- Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibitionW K Alderton
In Vitro Pharmacology Department, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage SG1 2NY, UK
Biochem J 357:593-615. 2001This review concentrates on advances in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) structure, function and inhibition made in the last seven years, during which time substantial advances have been made in our understanding of this enzyme family...
- Activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells by Akt-dependent phosphorylationS Dimmeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Nature 399:601-5. 1999..Thus, phosphorylation of eNOS by Akt represents a novel Ca2+-independent regulatory mechanism for activation of eNOS...
- Molecular mechanisms involved in the regulation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthaseIngrid Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1-12. 2003The endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), the expression of which is regulated by a range of transcriptional and posttranscriptional mechanisms, generates nitric oxide (NO) in response to a number of stimuli...
- Arginine metabolism: nitric oxide and beyondG Wu
Departments of Animal Science, Medical Physiology, and Veterinary Anatomy and Public Health, and Faculty of Nutrition, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Biochem J 336:1-17. 1998..in arginine synthesis and catabolism, argininosuccinate synthase, the two arginase isoenzymes, the three nitric oxide synthase isoenzymes and arginine decarboxylase have been recognized in recent years as key factors in regulating ..
- Mechanisms of increased vascular superoxide production in human diabetes mellitus: role of NAD(P)H oxidase and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseTomasz J Guzik
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Circulation 105:1656-62. 2002..We characterized the sources and mechanisms underlying vascular superoxide production in human blood vessels from diabetic patients with coronary artery disease compared with nondiabetic patients...
- Regulation of endothelium-derived nitric oxide production by the protein kinase AktD Fulton
Department of Pharmacology, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
Nature 399:597-601. 1999Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is the nitric oxide synthase isoform responsible for maintaining systemic blood pressure, vascular remodelling and angiogenesis...
- Oxidation of tetrahydrobiopterin leads to uncoupling of endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase in hypertensionUlf Landmesser
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine and Atlanta Veterans Administration Hospital, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1201-9. 2003..Treatment strategies that increase tetrahydrobiopterin or prevent its oxidation may prove useful in preventing vascular complications of this common disease...
- Essential role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase for mobilization of stem and progenitor cellsAlexandra Aicher
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Nat Med 9:1370-6. 2003Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is essential for neovascularization. Here we show that the impaired neovascularization in mice lacking eNOS is related to a defect in progenitor cell mobilization...
- An essential role for interferon gamma in resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionJ L Flynn
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461
J Exp Med 178:2249-54. 1993..In contrast to control mice, gko mice exhibit heightened tissue necrosis and succumb to a rapid and fatal course of tuberculosis that could be delayed, but not prevented, by treatment with exogenous recombinant IFN-gamma...
- Nitric oxide synthases: roles, tolls, and controlsC Nathan
Beatrice and Samuel Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
Cell 78:915-8. 1994
- beta-Amyloid stimulation of microglia and monocytes results in TNFalpha-dependent expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and neuronal apoptosisC K Combs
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 21:1179-88. 2001..that the neuronal loss was apoptotic in nature and involved increased neuronal expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and subsequent peroxynitrite production...
- Oxidative stress and nitric oxide synthase in rat diabetic nephropathy: effects of ACEI and ARBMaristela Lika Onozato
Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Kidney Int 61:186-94. 2002..We tested the hypothesis that Ang II subtype 1 (AT1) receptor activation enhances oxidative stress and nitrotyrosine deposition in the kidneys of rats with diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Hyperglycemia inhibits endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity by posttranslational modification at the Akt siteX L Du
Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Clin Invest 108:1341-8. 2001Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is activated by phosphorylation of serine 1177 by the protein kinase Akt/PKB...
- Nitric oxide synthase modulates angiogenesis in response to tissue ischemiaT Murohara
Department of Medicine Cardiology and Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Biomedical Research, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02135, USA
J Clin Invest 101:2567-78. 1998We tested the hypothesis that endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) modulates angiogenesis in two animal models in which therapeutic angiogenesis has been characterized as a compensatory response to tissue ischemia...
- Arginase reciprocally regulates nitric oxide synthase activity and contributes to endothelial dysfunction in aging blood vesselsDan E Berkowitz
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circulation 108:2000-6. 2003..We tested the hypotheses that arginase reciprocally regulates NOS by modulating L-arginine bioavailability and that arginase is upregulated in aging vasculature, contributing to depressed endothelial function...
- The STAT pathway mediates late-phase immunity against Plasmodium in the mosquito Anopheles gambiaeLalita Gupta
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20892 8130, USA
Cell Host Microbe 5:498-507. 2009..AgSTAT-A participates in the transcriptional activation of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in response to bacterial and plasmodial infection...
- Regular physical activity improves endothelial function in patients with coronary artery disease by increasing phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthaseR Hambrecht
Heart Center, Department of Cardiology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Circulation 107:3152-8. 2003....
- TRAF6 deficiency results in osteopetrosis and defective interleukin-1, CD40, and LPS signalingM A Lomaga
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S2
Genes Dev 13:1015-24. 1999..These findings establish unexpectedly diverse and critical roles for TRAF6 in perinatal and postnatal survival, bone metabolism, LPS, and cytokine signaling...
- Absence of inducible nitric oxide synthase reduces myocardial damage during ischemia reperfusion in streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic miceRaffaele Marfella
Department of Geriatrics and Metabolic Diseases, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Diabetes 53:454-62. 2004We investigated the role of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) on ischemic myocardial damage and angiogenic process in genetically deficient iNOS (iNOS(-/-)) mice and wild-type littermates (iNOS(+/+)), with and without streptozotocin-..
- Interactions of peroxynitrite, tetrahydrobiopterin, ascorbic acid, and thiols: implications for uncoupling endothelial nitric-oxide synthaseNermin Kuzkaya
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 278:22546-54. 2003..We confirmed that ONOO- uncouples eNOS by oxidation of tetrahydrobiopterin and that ascorbate does not fully protect BH4 from oxidation but recycles BH3. radical back to BH4...
- Nitric oxide mediates the antiapoptotic effect of insulin in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion: the roles of PI3-kinase, Akt, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylationFeng Gao
Department of Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circulation 105:1497-502. 2002Recent evidence from cultured endothelial cell studies suggests that phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) through the PI3-kinase-Akt pathway increases NO production...
- Gene transfer of stromal cell-derived factor-1alpha enhances ischemic vasculogenesis and angiogenesis via vascular endothelial growth factor/endothelial nitric oxide synthase-related pathway: next-generation chemokine therapy for therapeutic neovascularizKen ichi Hiasa
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Circulation 109:2454-61. 2004..We therefore hypothesized that SDF-1alpha gene transfer would induce therapeutic neovascularization in vivo by functioning as a chemokine of EPC...
- Immunocytochemical localization of nitric oxide synthase-containing neurons in mouse and rabbit visual cortex and co-localization with calcium-binding proteinsJee Eun Lee
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702 701, Korea
Mol Cells 19:408-17. 2005..We studied the distribution and morphology of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-containing neurons in the visual cortex of mouse and rabbit with antibody immunocytochemistry...
- Calorie restriction promotes mitochondrial biogenesis by inducing the expression of eNOSEnzo Nisoli
Integrated Laboratories Network, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Milan University, 20157 Milan, Italy
Science 310:314-7. 2005..Here, we report that calorie restriction for either 3 or 12 months induced endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and 3',5'-cyclic guanosine monophosphate formation in various tissues of male mice...
- Specific inhibitors of p38 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways block inducible nitric oxide synthase and tumor necrosis factor accumulation in murine macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharide and interfS J Ajizian
Crippled Children s Foundation Research Center at Le Bonheur Children sMedical Center, Memphis, TN 38103, USA
J Infect Dis 179:939-44. 1999..signal-regulated kinase (ERK) mitogen-activated protein kinase cascades are required for inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) accumulation in RAW 264...
- Domain mapping studies reveal that the M domain of hsp90 serves as a molecular scaffold to regulate Akt-dependent phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and NO releaseJason Fontana
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Cardiobiology Program, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn 06536, USA
Circ Res 90:866-73. 2002..hsp90 and phosphorylation on serine 1179 by the protein kinase Akt leads to activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. However, the interplay between these protein-protein interactions remains to be established...
- Nitric oxide as a secretory product of mammalian cellsC Nathan
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
FASEB J 6:3051-64. 1992..This article reviews how different forms of nitric oxide synthase help confer specificity and diversity on the effects of this remarkable signaling molecule.
- Delayed reduction of ischemic brain injury and neurological deficits in mice lacking the inducible nitric oxide synthase geneC Iadecola
Department of Neurology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Neurosci 17:9157-64. 1997Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), an enzyme that produces toxic amounts of nitric oxide, is expressed in a number of brain pathologies, including cerebral ischemia...
- Impaired nitric oxide synthase pathway in diabetes mellitus: role of asymmetric dimethylarginine and dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolaseKen Y Lin
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305, USA
Circulation 106:987-92. 2002An endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase, asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), is elevated in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). This study explored the mechanisms by which ADMA becomes elevated in DM.
- Peroxynitrite generated by inducible nitric oxide synthase and NADPH oxidase mediates microglial toxicity to oligodendrocytesJianrong Li
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, and Program in Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9936-41. 2005..Blocking peroxynitrite formation with nitric oxide synthase inhibitors, superoxide dismutase mimics, or a decomposition catalyst abrogated the cytotoxicity...
- Kinetoplastid membrane protein-11 DNA vaccination induces complete protection against both pentavalent antimonial-sensitive and -resistant strains of Leishmania donovani that correlates with inducible nitric oxide synthase activity and IL-4 generation: evRajatava Basu
Department of Immunology, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata
J Immunol 174:7160-71. 2005..This is the first report of a vaccine conferring protection to both antimony responsive and resistant Leishmania strains reflecting several aspects of clinical visceral leishmaniasis...
- DNA methylation in the arginase-nitric oxide synthase pathway is associated with exhaled nitric oxide in children with asthmaCarrie V Breton
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:191-7. 2011Genetic variation in arginase (ARG) and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) has been associated with exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) levels in children. Little is known about whether epigenetic variation in these genes modulates FeNO.
- The role of nitric oxide in tumour progressionDai Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:521-34. 2006..We also discuss potential strategies for cancer treatment that modulate NO production and/or its downstream signalling pathways...
- Effect of advanced glycation end-products on gene expression and synthesis of TNF-alpha and endothelial nitric oxide synthase by endothelial cellsGloria Rashid
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Sapir Medical Center, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Kidney Int 66:1099-106. 2004..endothelial cells, the AGEs' effect on gene expression and synthesis of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) mRNA and protein expression, which may be involved in vascular remodeling.
- RhoA/Rho-kinase suppresses endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the penis: a mechanism for diabetes-associated erectile dysfunctionTrinity J Bivalacqua
Department of Urology, Tulane Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9121-6. 2004..RhoA/Rho-kinase may suppress endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Insulin resistance, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseH Duplain
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypertension and Vascular Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Circulation 104:342-5. 2001..Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is expressed in skeletal muscle, where it may govern metabolic processes, and in the vascular ..
- Downregulation of endocardial nitric oxide synthase expression and nitric oxide production in atrial fibrillation: potential mechanisms for atrial thrombosis and strokeHua Cai
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Circulation 106:2854-8. 2002..We hypothesized that atrial fibrillation (AF) causes a downregulation of atrial endocardial NOS expression and NO* production. Because NO* has antithrombotic properties, this may contribute to thromboembolism in AF...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is required in alcohol-induced liver injury: studies with knockout miceStephen E McKim
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Gastroenterology 125:1834-44. 2003..However, the production of the free radical nitric oxide (NO*) by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) could also be involved.
- Phosphorylation of Thr(495) regulates Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase activityI Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, Klinikum der J W G Universität, Frankfurt, Germany
Circ Res 88:E68-75. 2001The activity of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) can be regulated independently of an increase in Ca(2+) by the phosphorylation of Ser(1177) but results only in a low nitric oxide (NO) output...
- Expression of multiple isoforms of nitric oxide synthase in normal and atherosclerotic vesselsJ N Wilcox
Emory University, Department of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:2479-88. 1997..To determine whether this is due to decreased synthesis of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), we examined normal and atherosclerotic human vessels by in situ hybridization and ..
- Pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis: role of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHabib M Razavi
Vascular Biology Group, Lawson Health Research Institute, Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Center, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:227-33. 2004..9 +/- 0.7% vs. 3.8 +/- 0.6%, p < 0.05) but was independent of endothelial iNOS. Thus, neutrophil iNOS-derived NO is an important autocrine modulator of pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis...
- Cardiovascular biology of the asymmetric dimethylarginine:dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase pathwayPatrick Vallance
BHF Laboratories, Division of Medicine, University College London, Rayne Institute, 5 University St, London WC1 6JJ, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1023-30. 2004An increasing number of reports indicate that endogenously produced inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase, particularly asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), regulate nitric oxide generation in disease states...
- Cytoprotective effects of nitrite during in vivo ischemia-reperfusion of the heart and liverMark R Duranski
Department of Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, 71130, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1232-40. 2005..These studies reveal an unexpected and novel therapy for diseases such as myocardial infarction, organ preservation and transplantation, and shock states...
- Abnormal aortic valve development in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseT C Lee
Division of Cardiology, Terrence Donnelly Heart Center, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 101:2345-8. 2000..Therefore, we investigated the role of endothelium-derived NO during cardiovascular development using mice deficient in eNOS...
- Overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase accelerates atherosclerotic lesion formation in apoE-deficient miceMasanori Ozaki
Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Clin Invest 110:331-40. 2002....
- The ratio between tetrahydrobiopterin and oxidized tetrahydrobiopterin analogues controls superoxide release from endothelial nitric oxide synthase: an EPR spin trapping studyJeannette Vasquez-Vivar
Biophysics Research Institute and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, U S A
Biochem J 362:733-9. 2002..Purified endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) generates superoxide under limited availability of 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrobiopterin (BH(4))...
- Subcellular and cellular locations of nitric oxide synthase isoforms as determinants of health and diseaseCleva Villanueva
Escuela Superior de Medicina, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico, D F 11320, Mexico
Free Radic Biol Med 49:307-16. 2010..Subcellular compartmentalization of specific nitric oxide synthase enzymes has been shown to play a major role in health and disease...
- Regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by tetrahydrobiopterin in vascular diseaseNicholas J Alp
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:413-20. 2004Nitric oxide (NO), produced by endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), is a key signaling molecule in vascular homeostasis...
- Accelerated atherosclerosis, aortic aneurysm formation, and ischemic heart disease in apolipoprotein E/endothelial nitric oxide synthase double-knockout miceP J Kuhlencordt
Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiology Division, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circulation 104:448-54. 2001To test whether deficiency in endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) affects atherosclerosis development, we compared lesion formation in apolipoprotein E (apoE)/eNOS-double knockout (DKO) and apoE-knockout (KO) control animals.
- Dual effect of anandamide on rat placenta nitric oxide synthesisM Cella
Laboratory of Physiopathology of Pregnancy and Labor CEFYBO, School of Medicine, National Research Council University of Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, C1121ABG Buenos Aires, Argentina
Placenta 29:699-707. 2008..We hypothesized that AEA have an important implication in the normal function of placental tissues...
- Eccentric exercise induces nitric oxide synthase expression through nuclear factor-kappaB modulation in rat skeletal muscleElena Lima-Cabello
Institute of Biomedicine, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:575-83. 2010This study aimed to investigate the effect of eccentric exercise on the expression of the different nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in rat deep vastus lateralis muscle...
- Regulation of the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHartmut Kleinert
Department of Pharmacology, Johannes Gutenberg University, D 55101 Mainz, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1343-64. 2003Nitric oxide (NO), generated by the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), has been described to have beneficial microbicidal, antiviral, antiparasital, immunomodulatory, and antitumoral effects...
- Regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase: location, location, locationPhilip W Shaul
Department of Pediatrics University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 64:749-74. 2002Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is expressed in vascular endothelium, airway epithelium, and certain other cell types where it generates the key signaling molecule nitric oxide (NO)...
- Organ-specific and stage-dependent control of Leishmania major infection by inducible nitric oxide synthase and phagocyte NADPH oxidaseMartin Blos
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Immunol 33:1224-34. 2003In the Leishmania major mouse model of cutaneous leishmaniasis inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is crucial for the killing of the parasite in the skin and draining lymph node. However, the effector mechanism operating against L...
- The relative importance of T cell subsets in immunity and immunopathology of airborne Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in miceT Mogues
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, New York 12983, USA
J Exp Med 193:271-80. 2001..cells, class I major histocompatibility complex (MHC), class II MHC, interferon (IFN)-gamma, or inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2), were infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) by aerosol, and monitored over time for their ..
- Nitric oxide synthase isoforms and glomerular hyperfiltration in early diabetic nephropathyR Veelken
Medizinische Klinik IV, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 11:71-9. 2000..the hypothesis that nitric oxide (NO)-mediated renal vasodilation due to the activity of the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) contributes to glomerular hyperfiltration in diabetic rats...
- Oxidant stress from nitric oxide synthase-3 uncoupling stimulates cardiac pathologic remodeling from chronic pressure loadEiki Takimoto
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1221-31. 2005..ROS contribute to this process. Here we show that uncoupling of nitric oxide synthase-3 (NOS3) plays a major role in pressure load-induced myocardial ROS and consequent chamber remodeling/..
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase activation by interleukin-17Djordje Miljkovic
Institute for Biological Research, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 15:21-32. 2004..We also propose biological consequences of IL-17-mediated NO release that could be relevant for the mechanisms or therapy of autoimmune and inflammatory disorders...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in tumor biology: the two sides of the same coinMatthias Lechner
Clinical Division of General and Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Semin Cancer Biol 15:277-89. 2005Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is one of three key enzymes generating nitric oxide (NO) from the amino acid l-arginine. iNOS-derived NO plays an important role in numerous physiological (e.g...
- Dynamic activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by Hsp90G Garcia-Cardena
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
Nature 392:821-4. 1998..Here we show that Hsp90 associates with endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and is rapidly recruited to the eNOS complex by agonists that stimulate production of nitric oxide, ..
- Promoter of the mouse gene encoding calcium-independent nitric oxide synthase confers inducibility by interferon gamma and bacterial lipopolysaccharideQ W Xie
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York 10021
J Exp Med 177:1779-84. 1993Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) can be expressed by many types of mammalian cells in response to diverse signals acting synergistically, including cytokines and microbial products...
- Impairment of vascular endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity by advanced glycation end productsBiao Xu
Center for Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, UK
FASEB J 17:1289-91. 2003..In HUVEC, AGE-Glu inhibited endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity, and this was associated with a decrease in serine phosphorylation of this enzyme...
- Hypothermia suppresses inducible nitric oxide synthase and stimulates cyclooxygenase-2 in lipopolysaccharide stimulated BV-2 cellsHannah Gibbons
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 110:63-75. 2003..At 37 degrees C, LPS elicited strong increases in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), nitric oxide (NO), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), and ..
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is not essential for control of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in miceKara L Cummings
Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases, 623 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Infect Immun 72:4081-9. 2004..In this study, we show that mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS or NOS2) exhibit resistance to T. cruzi infection that is comparable to that of wild-type mice...
- Plasma nitrite rather than nitrate reflects regional endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity but lacks intrinsic vasodilator actionT Lauer
, Pneumologie, und Angiologie, , , Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12814-9. 2001..Our results further demonstrate that physiological levels of nitrite are vasodilator-inactive...
- Augmented BH4 by gene transfer restores nitric oxide synthase function in hyperglycemic human endothelial cellsShijie Cai
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Cardiovasc Res 65:823-31. 2005..HAEC were cultured in media with low glucose (5 mM) or high glucose (30 mM)...
- Altered regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in macrophages from senescent miceL C Chen
Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160, USA
Infect Immun 64:4288-98. 1996....
- Responses of neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in the brainstem to electroacupuncture Zusanli (ST 36) in ratsSheng Xing Ma
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson Street, RB 1, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Brain Res 1037:70-7. 2005..We conclude that EA ST 36 induces nNOS expression in the gracile nucleus and mNTS, and enhanced nNOS-NO in the nuclei may modify central cardiovascular regulation, which contribute to hypotensive effects of acupuncture...
- Predominant role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis and vascular permeabilityD Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 100 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:2604-9. 2001..Thus, selective modulation of eNOS activity is a promising strategy for altering angiogenesis and vascular permeability in vivo...
- Altered responses to bacterial infection and endotoxic shock in mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthaseJ D MacMicking
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell 81:641-50. 1995Mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) were generated to test the idea that iNOS defends the host against infectious agents and tumor cells at the risk of contributing to tissue damage and shock...
- Nitric oxide synthase lies downstream from vascular endothelial growth factor-induced but not basic fibroblast growth factor-induced angiogenesisM Ziche
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, 50134, Florence, Italy
J Clin Invest 99:2625-34. 1997..Our studies support recent evidence that VEGF and bFGF induce angiogenesis by different mechanistic pathways using the alphavbeta5 and alphavbeta3 integrins, respectively...
- Homocysteine impairs the nitric oxide synthase pathway: role of asymmetric dimethylarginineM C Stühlinger
Section of Vascular Medicine, Stanford University, Stanford, California, USA
Circulation 104:2569-75. 2001..may exert their adverse vascular effects in part by elevating plasma levels of asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), an endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase. Accordingly, we determined if homocysteine could increase ADMA levels.
- Expression of the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase in the retinas of human subjects with diabetes mellitusA M Abu El-Asrar
Department of Ophthalmology, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh 11411, Saudi Arabia
Am J Ophthalmol 132:551-6. 2001Inducible nitric oxide synthase has been implicated in the pathogenesis of cerebral ischemic damage, in the angiogenic process and in diabetic vascular damage...
- Identification of nitric oxide synthase as a protective locus against tuberculosisJ D MacMicking
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 94:5243-8. 1997..Several such pathways may function as activators of a common protective gene: inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2)...
- Post-translational control of endothelial nitric oxide synthase: why isn't calcium/calmodulin enough?D Fulton
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Cardiobiology Program, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 299:818-24. 2001Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is important for cardiovascular homeostasis, vessel remodeling, and angiogenesis...
- Reduced expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase after infection with Toxoplasma gondii facilitates parasite replication in activated murine macrophagesCarsten G K Lüder
Department of Bacteriology, Georg August University Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 57, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Int J Parasitol 33:833-44. 2003..gondii on nitric oxide production and expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase and determined the functional significance of a parasite-induced evasion of this potential effector ..
- Tetrahydrobiopterin-dependent preservation of nitric oxide-mediated endothelial function in diabetes by targeted transgenic GTP-cyclohydrolase I overexpressionNicholas J Alp
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffr Hospital, United Kingdom
J Clin Invest 112:725-35. 2003..These findings indicate that BH4 is an important mediator of eNOS regulation in diabetes and is a rational therapeutic target to restore NO-mediated endothelial function in diabetes and other vascular disease states...
- MyD88-deficient mice display a profound loss in resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis associated with partially impaired Th1 cytokine and nitric oxide synthase 2 expressionCharles A Scanga
Immunobiology Section, Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Infect Immun 72:2400-4. 2004..Moreover, expressions of interleukin 12, tumor necrosis factor alpha, gamma interferon, and nitric oxide synthase 2 were markedly decreased in the knockout animals. These results argue that resistance to M...
- Inhibition of inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase II by Platycodon grandiflorum saponins via suppression of nuclear factor-kappaB activation in RAW 264.7 cellsKwang Seok Ahn
Natural Products Research Institute, College of Pharmacy, Seoul National University, Seoul 110 460, Korea
Life Sci 76:2315-28. 2005..In this study, we investigated the effects of seven platycodin saponins on the activities of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase II (COX-2) in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced RAW 264.7 macrophages...
- Nitric oxide contributes to induction of innate immune responses to gram-negative bacteria in DrosophilaEdan Foley
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Genes Dev 17:115-25. 2003..Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) increased larval sensitivity to gram-negative bacterial infection, and abrogated induction of the ..
- On the role of nitric oxide in hippocampal long-term potentiationChristelle L M Bon
The Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 23:1941-8. 2003..The results resonate with observations concerning the role of the hippocampal NO-cGMP pathway in certain types of learning behavior...
- Endothelial progenitor cells are rapidly recruited to myocardium and mediate protective effect of ischemic preconditioning via "imported" nitric oxide synthase activityMasaaki Ii
Division of Cardiovascular Research, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02135, USA
Circulation 111:1114-20. 2005..The possibility that EPCs could act as reservoirs of cytokines has been implied by several observations; however, a specific role for cytokine delivery has not been identified...
- Mechanisms of suppression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression in RAW 264.7 cells by andrographolideW F Chiou
National Research Institute of Chinese Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Br J Pharmacol 129:1553-60. 2000..It is also possible that inhibition of iNOS protein expression and NO production under immune stimulation and/or bacteria infection may explain, in part, the beneficial effects of andrographolide as an anti-inflammatory agent...
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits interleukin-1beta-induced expression of nitric oxide synthase and production of nitric oxide in human chondrocytes: suppression of nuclear factor kappaB activation by degradation of the inhibitor of nuclear factor kappaRashmi Singh
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106 4946, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:2079-86. 2002..In the present study, we examined the effect of epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), a green tea polyphenol, on IL-1beta-induced production of NO in primary human osteoarthritis (OA) chondrocytes...
- Phosphorylation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase at ser-1177 is required for VEGF-induced endothelial cell migrationS Dimmeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt, Germany
FEBS Lett 477:258-62. 2000..Our data indicate that eNOS activation via phosphorylation of Ser-1177 by Akt is necessary and sufficient for VEGF-mediated EC migration...
- Leptin effect on endothelial nitric oxide is mediated through Akt-endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation pathwayCarmine Vecchione
IRCCS Neuromed, Pozzilli Is, Italy
Diabetes 51:168-73. 2002..In conclusion, leptin induces NO production by activating a PI 3-kinase-independent Akt-eNOS phosphorylation pathway...
- Inactivation of phosphorylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase (Ser-1177) by O-GlcNAc in diabetes-associated erectile dysfunctionBiljana Musicki
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11870-5. 2005Impaired endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) function is associated with erectile dysfunction in diabetes mellitus, but the exact molecular basis for the eNOS defect in the diabetic penis remains unclear...
- Coexpression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and COX-2 in hepatocellular carcinoma and surrounding liver: possible involvement of COX-2 in the angiogenesis of hepatitis C virus-positive casesM A Rahman
Second Department of Surgery, Shimane Medical University, Izumo 693 8501, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 7:1325-32. 2001Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) has been reported to be responsible for enhanced tumor growth and angiogenesis in various tumors...
- Chemopreventive properties of a selective inducible nitric oxide synthase inhibitor in colon carcinogenesis, administered alone or in combination with celecoxib, a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitorChinthalapally V Rao
Chemoprevention Program, American Health Foundation, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Cancer Res 62:165-70. 2002The inducible isoforms of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase (COX-2) are overexpressed in colonic tumors of humans, as well as in colon tumors that develop in rats after the administration of the colon-specific carcinogen, ..
- Nitric oxide and its modulators in chronic constriction injury-induced neuropathic pain in ratsAjit K Naik
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar
Eur J Pharmacol 530:59-69. 2006..induced by chronic constriction injury of sciatic nerve of rats by using NO precursor, NO donors and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitors...
- Cerebral alterations in a MPTP-mouse model of Parkinson's disease--an immunocytochemical studyY Muramatsu
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
J Neural Transm 110:1129-44. 2003We investigated the immunohistochemical alterations of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), endothelial NOS (eNOS), tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), microtubule-associated protein 2a,b (MAP 2), glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), ..
- Modulation of the tumor vasculature functionality by ionizing radiation accounts for tumor radiosensitization and promotes gene deliveryPierre Sonveaux
University of Louvain Medical School, Pharmacology and Therapeutics Unit FATH 5349, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
FASEB J 16:1979-81. 2002..Thus, low-dose irradiation of endothelial cells within a tumor is a key determinant of the effectiveness of radiotherapy and may offer a new strategy to increase gene and/or drug delivery to the tumor...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase and vascular injuryM Kibbe
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Surgery, PA 15261, USA
Cardiovasc Res 43:650-7. 1999..Lastly, the pathophysiology of transplant vasculopathy is discussed as well as the role of iNOS in this setting...
- Role of nitric oxide in the regulation of digital pulse volume amplitude in humansAnju Nohria
Cardiovascular Div, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 101:545-8. 2006..The present study establishes a central role for nitric oxide in the augmentation of PVA during reactive hyperemia. The measurement of digital PVA-RH may indeed provide a simple means of assessing endothelial function in humans...
- Virulent but not avirulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis can evade the growth inhibitory action of a T helper 1-dependent, nitric oxide Synthase 2-independent defense in miceYu Jin Jung
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, USA
J Exp Med 196:991-8. 2002..cytokines, to upregulate the antimycobacterial function of macrophages of which the synthesis of inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS)2 is an essential event...
- S-nitrosylation of dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase regulates enzyme activity: further interactions between nitric oxide synthase and dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolaseJames Leiper
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, University College London, 5 University Street, London WC1N 6JJ, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:13527-32. 2002..We also identify Cys-His-Glu as a nitrosylation motif that is conserved in a family of arginine handling enzymes...
- The caveolar nitric oxide synthase/arginine regeneration system for NO production in endothelial cellsLarry P Solomonson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Exp Biol 206:2083-7. 2003The enzyme endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) catalyzes the conversion of arginine, oxygen and NADPH to NO and citrulline...
- Nitric oxide synthase complexed with dystrophin and absent from skeletal muscle sarcolemma in Duchenne muscular dystrophyJ E Brenman
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine 94143 0444, USA
Cell 82:743-52. 1995..Aberrant regulation of nNOS may contribute to preferential degeneration of fast-twitch muscle fibers in DMD...
- Asymmetrical dimethylarginine: the Uber marker?John P Cooke
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, Calif 94305, USA
Circulation 109:1813-8. 2004
- Irradiation-induced angiogenesis through the up-regulation of the nitric oxide pathway: implications for tumor radiotherapyPierre Sonveaux
Pharmacology and Therapeutics Unit FATH 5349, University of Louvain Medical School, B 1200 Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 63:1012-9. 2003..induced the activation of the proangiogenic NO pathway in ECs through increases in endothelial nitric oxide synthase abundance and phosphorylation...
- Femtosecond Coherence Spectroscopy and Ultrafast Kinetic Investigations of Heme PPaul M Champion; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the structure, function, and dynamics of heme proteins such as cytochrome P450, mammalian peroxidases, nitric oxide synthase, soluble guanylate cyclase, nitrophorin, and cytochrome c...
- NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN THE JUXTAGLOMERULAR APPARATUSChristopher S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2010..They could identify new molecular mechanisms that underlie endothelial and kidney dysfunction, and could provide new targets for therapy for patients with these conditions. ..
- Genetic Basis for Impaired Angiogenic Signaling in BPDSTEVEN HERBERT ABMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..VEGF stimulates angiogenesis through upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which increases nitric oxide (NO) production...
- Role of Insulin Receptors in the KidneyCAROLYN MARY ECELBARGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Renal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity will be measured in inner medulla, outer medulla, and cortex, as well as, microdissected ..
- Nitric Oxide Releasing Topical Gel for Burn Wound HealingANJAL SHARMA; Fiscal Year: 2007..inhalation therapies) involve systemic or topical treatments with drugs designed to stimulate inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS) intracellularly...
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPAUL LEON KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To simulate the dramatically reduced levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be ..
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPaul Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..To simulate the dramatically reduced levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be ..
- Role of iNOS, Nitric Oxide & Arginase in Statin-Mediated Toxicity in Cancer CellsBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2009..cause increased cytotoxicity to breast cancer cells through either increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and nitric oxide (NO) and/or decreased arginase expression...
- A mechanism for TNF induced endothelial dysfunctionArnold Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genes, Environment & Neural Stem Cell Transplantation in the GutPANKAJ PASRICHA; Fiscal Year: 2009..a strategy of transplanting CNS-derived NSC (CNS-NSC) in mice with a genetic deletion of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) enzyme, we have shown that CNS-NSC can successfully engraft and differentiate into nNOS expressing ..
- Genes, Environment & Neural Stem Cell Transplantation in the GutPankaj J Pasricha; Fiscal Year: 2010..a strategy of transplanting CNS-derived NSC (CNS-NSC) in mice with a genetic deletion of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) enzyme, we have shown that CNS-NSC can successfully engraft and differentiate into nNOS expressing ..
- Nitric Oxide Metabolic Control in PregnancyThomas Hintze; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is an upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in almost all vascular beds studied in the gravid female including skeletal muscle, kidney and utems or ..
- NO Metabolic Control in PregnancyThomas Hintze; Fiscal Year: 2006..There is an upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in almost all vascular beds studied in the gravid female including skeletal muscle, kidney and utems or ..
- Reactive nitrogen species and accelerated atherosclerosisMing Hui Zou; Fiscal Year: 2007There is evidence that reactive nitrogen species (RNS) derived from nitric oxide (NO) of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), such as peroxynitrite (ONOO-), are important in cardiovascular diseases including diabetes...
- TETRAHYDROBIOPTERIN--REGULATOR OF ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTIONZVONIMIR KATUSIC; Fiscal Year: 1999..Biosynthesis of nitric oxide requires activation of nitric oxide synthase in the presence of tetrahydrobiopterin as a cofactor...
- Femtosecond Coherence Spectroscopy and Ultrafast Kinetic Investigations of Heme PPaul M Champion; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the structure, function, and dynamics of heme proteins such as cytochrome P450, mammalian peroxidases, nitric oxide synthase, soluble guanylate cyclase, nitrophorin, and cytochrome c...
- Balance of Angiotensin II/Angiotensin (1-1): A Target in Ischemic StrokeYanfang Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nitric oxide (NO) from endothelium nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is important in maintaining normal cerebral blood flow...
- Regulation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase mRNA stabilityJianxin Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010Nitric oxide (NO), produced by endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), is critical to the maintenance of vascular homeostasis through promoting vasodilation and inhibiting vascular smooth muscle cells proliferation, platelets ..
- Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase and Insulin ResistanceMasao Kaneki; Fiscal Year: 2004..resistance, including obesity and type 2 diabetes, are associated with increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and oxidative stress...
- Suicide Endophenotypes and Molecular Mechanisms of Lithium ActionTodd D Gould; Fiscal Year: 2010..Toward this end, clinical studies have implicated polymorphisms in a number of genes, including neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS1), with measures of impulsivity, aggression, and suicide...
- Arginase and Regulation of Nitric Oxide Synthase in ALSRajiv Ratan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results have been conflicting likely because currently available inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase do not permit optimal control of NO generation within particular cell types and subcellular compartments...
- CONTROL MECHANISMS OF THE NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASESDennis J Stuehr; Fiscal Year: 2010Three nitric oxide synthase enzymes (NOS) evolved to function in human health and disease. We wish to define the mechanisms and the protein structural features that regulate NOS catalysis...
- CONTROL MECHANISMS OF THE NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASESDennis Stuehr; Fiscal Year: 2009Three nitric oxide synthase enzymes (NOS) evolved to function in human health and disease. We wish to define the mechanisms and the protein structural features that regulate NOS catalysis...
- Nitric Oxide Synthase Polymorphisms and Risk for Skin CancerAbrar Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most important, as nitric oxide production can be modified by using topical agents to increase or decrease production locally in the skin, future chemoprevention strategies may be developed based on results of this work. ..
- Treatment of stroke with a clinically approved proteasome inhibitorLi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Proteasome inhibitors enhance endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and improve endothelial function...
- MEDIATORS OF PULMONARY VASODILATATION IN LIVER DISEASEMichael Fallon; Fiscal Year: 2003..of chronic liver disease and is characterized by changes in the levels and activity of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. How these changes occur and why there is variability in the vascular beds involved is incompletely ..
- CEREBRAL VESSEL INNERVATION IN HYPERTENSIONTony Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..ChAT (Choline acetyltransferase) and NOS (nitric oxide synthase) are colocalized in the same cerebral perivascular nerves, and that ACh acts presynaptically to inhibit ..
- Superoxide Generation from eNOS: The Role of PterinsJeannette Vasquez Vivar; Fiscal Year: 2003Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) is an essential cofactor of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Nitric oxide as a target for dietary intervention in colitisMichael Wargovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overproduction of nitric oxide by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) has been proposed as a pathogenic factor in colitis...
- REGULATION OF NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN DEVELOPING LUNGPhilip Shaul; Fiscal Year: 2005..Ultimately, we may be able to take greater therapeutic advantage of the effects of E2 on the pulmonary and also coronary and uterine circulations, thereby optimizing the vascular health of both the fetus and the mother. ..
- Perinatal regulation of endothelial NOSStephen M Black; Fiscal Year: 2010The overall goal of these continuing studies is to understand how endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) signaling is regulated in the pulmonary system with emphasis on its role in the perinatal period...
- Dual AAV Vectors for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy TherapyDongsheng Duan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, they cannot restore the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) recruiting function of the full-length protein...
- Genetic evaluation of nitric oxide regulating genes in ischemic strokeTimothy Howard; Fiscal Year: 2007..The availability of NO is largely dependent upon three nitric oxide synthase (NOS) enzymes that catalyze L-arginine to citrulline, with the subsequent production of NO...
- MECHANISM & DESIGN OF NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE INACTIVATORSRichard Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2002..of new isoform-selective inhibitors, the design and mechanism of inactivation of new inactivators of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), and at one question of the catalytic mechanism of the enzyme...
- Nitric Oxide Synthase 2 in Endotoxemia and SepsisMARK PERRELLA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The inducible form of nitric oxide synthase (NOS2) plays an important role in endotoxemia/sepsis through overproduction of nitric oxide (NO)...
- Radical Intermediates of Nitric Oxide Synthase & Myocardial Ischemia ReperfusionAh Lim Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2010..temporal dependence of the radical intermediates, including ROS and RNS, induced by oxygen in all three nitric oxide synthase isozymes...