Genomes and Genes
nitric oxide synthase
Summary: An NADPH-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-ARGININE and OXYGEN to produce CITRULLINE and NITRIC OXIDE.
Publications426 found, 100 shown here
- Nitric oxide and the immune responseC Bogdan
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Wasserturmstrasse 3 5, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Nat Immunol 2:907-16. 2001..Its striking inter- and intracellular signaling capacity makes it extremely difficult to predict the effect of NOS inhibitors and NO donors, which still hampers therapeutic applications...
- Activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells by Akt-dependent phosphorylationS Dimmeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Nature 399:601-5. 1999..Thus, phosphorylation of eNOS by Akt represents a novel Ca2+-independent regulatory mechanism for activation of eNOS...
- Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibitionW K Alderton
In Vitro Pharmacology Department, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage SG1 2NY, UK
Biochem J 357:593-615. 2001This review concentrates on advances in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) structure, function and inhibition made in the last seven years, during which time substantial advances have been made in our understanding of this enzyme family...
- The L-arginine-nitric oxide pathwayS Moncada
Wellcome Research Laboratories, Beckenham, Kent, United Kingdom
N Engl J Med 329:2002-12. 1993
- Molecular mechanisms involved in the regulation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthaseIngrid Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1-12. 2003The endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), the expression of which is regulated by a range of transcriptional and posttranscriptional mechanisms, generates nitric oxide (NO) in response to a number of stimuli...
- Mechanisms of increased vascular superoxide production in human diabetes mellitus: role of NAD(P)H oxidase and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseTomasz J Guzik
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Circulation 105:1656-62. 2002..We characterized the sources and mechanisms underlying vascular superoxide production in human blood vessels from diabetic patients with coronary artery disease compared with nondiabetic patients...
- Regulation of endothelium-derived nitric oxide production by the protein kinase AktD Fulton
Department of Pharmacology, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
Nature 399:597-601. 1999Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is the nitric oxide synthase isoform responsible for maintaining systemic blood pressure, vascular remodelling and angiogenesis...
- Arginine metabolism: nitric oxide and beyondG Wu
Departments of Animal Science, Medical Physiology, and Veterinary Anatomy and Public Health, and Faculty of Nutrition, Texas A and M University, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Biochem J 336:1-17. 1998..in arginine synthesis and catabolism, argininosuccinate synthase, the two arginase isoenzymes, the three nitric oxide synthase isoenzymes and arginine decarboxylase have been recognized in recent years as key factors in regulating ..
- Decreased resistance of B cell-deficient mice to infection with Toxoplasma gondii despite unimpaired expression of IFN-gamma, TNF-alpha, and inducible nitric oxide synthaseH Kang
Department of Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Research Institute, Palo Alto Medical Foundation, Palo Alto, CA 94301, USA
J Immunol 164:2629-34. 2000..These results indicate that B cells play an important role, most likely through their production of specific Abs, in resistance to persistent active (tachyzoite) infection with T. gondii in mice, especially in the brain and lung...
- beta-Amyloid stimulation of microglia and monocytes results in TNFalpha-dependent expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and neuronal apoptosisC K Combs
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 21:1179-88. 2001..that the neuronal loss was apoptotic in nature and involved increased neuronal expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and subsequent peroxynitrite production...
- Essential role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase for mobilization of stem and progenitor cellsAlexandra Aicher
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590 Frankfurt, Germany
Nat Med 9:1370-6. 2003Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is essential for neovascularization. Here we show that the impaired neovascularization in mice lacking eNOS is related to a defect in progenitor cell mobilization...
- ABA-induced NO generation and stomatal closure in Arabidopsis are dependent on H2O2 synthesisJo Bright
Centre for Research in Plant Science, Genomics Research Institute, University of the West of England, UWE, Bristol, Frenchay Campus, Coldharbour Lane, UK
Plant J 45:113-22. 2006..mutant nia1, nia2 both ABA and H(2)O(2) fail to induce NO production or stomatal closure, but in the nitric oxide synthase deficient Atnos1 mutant, responses to H(2)O(2) are not impaired...
- An essential role for interferon gamma in resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionJ L Flynn
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461
J Exp Med 178:2249-54. 1993..In contrast to control mice, gko mice exhibit heightened tissue necrosis and succumb to a rapid and fatal course of tuberculosis that could be delayed, but not prevented, by treatment with exogenous recombinant IFN-gamma...
- Hyperglycemia inhibits endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity by posttranslational modification at the Akt siteX L Du
Diabetes Research Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461, USA
J Clin Invest 108:1341-8. 2001Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is activated by phosphorylation of serine 1177 by the protein kinase Akt/PKB...
- Nitric oxide synthases: roles, tolls, and controlsC Nathan
Beatrice and Samuel Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
Cell 78:915-8. 1994
- Oxidation of tetrahydrobiopterin leads to uncoupling of endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase in hypertensionUlf Landmesser
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine and Atlanta Veterans Administration Hospital, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1201-9. 2003..Treatment strategies that increase tetrahydrobiopterin or prevent its oxidation may prove useful in preventing vascular complications of this common disease...
- The role of nitric oxide in tumour progressionDai Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:521-34. 2006..We also discuss potential strategies for cancer treatment that modulate NO production and/or its downstream signalling pathways...
- Hypertension in mice lacking the gene for endothelial nitric oxide synthaseP L Huang
Cardiovascular Research Center, Medical Services, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston 02129, USA
Nature 377:239-42. 1995..analogues such as L-nitroarginine (L-NA) or L-N-arginine methyl ester affects multiple isoforms of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), and so cannot distinguish their physiological roles...
- Impaired nitric oxide synthase pathway in diabetes mellitus: role of asymmetric dimethylarginine and dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolaseKen Y Lin
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, Calif 94305, USA
Circulation 106:987-92. 2002An endogenous inhibitor of nitric oxide synthase, asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), is elevated in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (DM). This study explored the mechanisms by which ADMA becomes elevated in DM.
- Effects of cerebral ischemia in mice deficient in neuronal nitric oxide synthaseZ Huang
Stroke Research Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Charlestown 02129
Science 265:1883-5. 1994..Hence, neuronal NO production appears to exacerbate acute ischemic injury, whereas vascular NO protects after middle cerebral artery occlusion. The data emphasize the importance of developing selective inhibitors of the neuronal isoform...
- Regular physical activity improves endothelial function in patients with coronary artery disease by increasing phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthaseR Hambrecht
Heart Center, Department of Cardiology, University of Leipzig, Germany
Circulation 107:3152-8. 2003....
- Dynamic activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by Hsp90G Garcia-Cardena
Department of Pharmacology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
Nature 392:821-4. 1998..Here we show that Hsp90 associates with endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and is rapidly recruited to the eNOS complex by agonists that stimulate production of nitric oxide, ..
- Nitric oxide synthase modulates angiogenesis in response to tissue ischemiaT Murohara
Department of Medicine Cardiology and Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Biomedical Research, St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts 02135, USA
J Clin Invest 101:2567-78. 1998We tested the hypothesis that endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) modulates angiogenesis in two animal models in which therapeutic angiogenesis has been characterized as a compensatory response to tissue ischemia...
- Gene transfer of stromal cell-derived factor-1alpha enhances ischemic vasculogenesis and angiogenesis via vascular endothelial growth factor/endothelial nitric oxide synthase-related pathway: next-generation chemokine therapy for therapeutic neovascularizKen ichi Hiasa
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
Circulation 109:2454-61. 2004..We therefore hypothesized that SDF-1alpha gene transfer would induce therapeutic neovascularization in vivo by functioning as a chemokine of EPC...
- Regulation of the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHartmut Kleinert
Department of Pharmacology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Obere Zahlbacher Strasse 67, D 55101 Mainz, Germany
Eur J Pharmacol 500:255-66. 2004The role of nitric oxide (NO) generated by the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is very complex...
- Oxidant stress from nitric oxide synthase-3 uncoupling stimulates cardiac pathologic remodeling from chronic pressure loadEiki Takimoto
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1221-31. 2005..ROS contribute to this process. Here we show that uncoupling of nitric oxide synthase-3 (NOS3) plays a major role in pressure load-induced myocardial ROS and consequent chamber remodeling/..
- Nitric reductase-dependent nitric oxide production is involved in cold acclimation and freezing tolerance in ArabidopsisMin Gui Zhao
State Key Laboratory of Vegetation and Environmental Change, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100093, People s Republic of China
Plant Physiol 151:755-67. 2009..These findings demonstrate that NR-dependent NO production plays an important role in cold acclimation-induced increase in freezing tolerance by modulating Pro accumulation in Arabidopsis...
- Antimicrobial actions of the NADPH phagocyte oxidase and inducible nitric oxide synthase in experimental salmonellosis. II. Effects on microbial proliferation and host survival in vivoP Mastroeni
Centre for Veterinary Science, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB3 0ES, United Kingdom
J Exp Med 192:237-48. 2000The roles of the NADPH phagocyte oxidase (phox) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in host resistance to virulent Salmonella typhimurium were investigated in gp91phox(-/)-, iNOS(-/)-, and congenic wild-type mice...
- Interactions of peroxynitrite, tetrahydrobiopterin, ascorbic acid, and thiols: implications for uncoupling endothelial nitric-oxide synthaseNermin Kuzkaya
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
J Biol Chem 278:22546-54. 2003..We confirmed that ONOO- uncouples eNOS by oxidation of tetrahydrobiopterin and that ascorbate does not fully protect BH4 from oxidation but recycles BH3. radical back to BH4...
- Absence of inducible nitric oxide synthase reduces myocardial damage during ischemia reperfusion in streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic miceRaffaele Marfella
Department of Geriatrics and Metabolic Diseases, Second University of Naples, Naples, Italy
Diabetes 53:454-62. 2004We investigated the role of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) on ischemic myocardial damage and angiogenic process in genetically deficient iNOS (iNOS(-/-)) mice and wild-type littermates (iNOS(+/+)), with and without streptozotocin-..
- Immunocytochemical localization of nitric oxide synthase-containing neurons in mouse and rabbit visual cortex and co-localization with calcium-binding proteinsJee Eun Lee
Department of Biology, College of Natural Sciences, Kyungpook National University, Daegu 702 701, Korea
Mol Cells 19:408-17. 2005..We studied the distribution and morphology of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-containing neurons in the visual cortex of mouse and rabbit with antibody immunocytochemistry...
- Calorie restriction promotes mitochondrial biogenesis by inducing the expression of eNOSEnzo Nisoli
Integrated Laboratories Network, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Milan University, 20157 Milan, Italy
Science 310:314-7. 2005..Here, we report that calorie restriction for either 3 or 12 months induced endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and 3',5'-cyclic guanosine monophosphate formation in various tissues of male mice...
- Structure and chromosomal localization of the human constitutive endothelial nitric oxide synthase geneP A Marsden
Renal Division, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Biol Chem 268:17478-88. 1993..2 region of chromosome 12...
- Nitric oxide in Tanzanian children with malaria: inverse relationship between malaria severity and nitric oxide production/nitric oxide synthase type 2 expressionN M Anstey
Division of Infectious Diseases and International Health, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Exp Med 184:557-67. 1996..was to compare markers of NO production [urinary and plasma nitrate + nitrite (NOx)], leukocyte-inducible nitric oxide synthase type 2 (NOS2), and plasma TNF-alpha and IL-10 levels with disease severity in 191 Tanzanian children with ..
- TRAF6 deficiency results in osteopetrosis and defective interleukin-1, CD40, and LPS signalingM A Lomaga
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S2
Genes Dev 13:1015-24. 1999..These findings establish unexpectedly diverse and critical roles for TRAF6 in perinatal and postnatal survival, bone metabolism, LPS, and cytokine signaling...
- Myocardial ischemia results in tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) oxidation with impaired endothelial function ameliorated by BH4Cristian Dumitrescu
Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:15081-6. 2007Coronary vasodilation is impaired in the postischemic heart with a loss of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activity, but the mechanisms underlying ischemia-induced eNOS dysfunction are not understood...
- The STAT pathway mediates late-phase immunity against Plasmodium in the mosquito Anopheles gambiaeLalita Gupta
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20892 8130, USA
Cell Host Microbe 5:498-507. 2009..AgSTAT-A participates in the transcriptional activation of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in response to bacterial and plasmodial infection...
- Nitric oxide as a secretory product of mammalian cellsC Nathan
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
FASEB J 6:3051-64. 1992..This article reviews how different forms of nitric oxide synthase help confer specificity and diversity on the effects of this remarkable signaling molecule.
- Specific inhibitors of p38 and extracellular signal-regulated kinase mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways block inducible nitric oxide synthase and tumor necrosis factor accumulation in murine macrophages stimulated with lipopolysaccharide and interfS J Ajizian
Crippled Children s Foundation Research Center at Le Bonheur Children sMedical Center, Memphis, TN 38103, USA
J Infect Dis 179:939-44. 1999..signal-regulated kinase (ERK) mitogen-activated protein kinase cascades are required for inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and tumor necrosis factor (TNF) accumulation in RAW 264...
- Domain mapping studies reveal that the M domain of hsp90 serves as a molecular scaffold to regulate Akt-dependent phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase and NO releaseJason Fontana
Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Cardiobiology Program, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Conn 06536, USA
Circ Res 90:866-73. 2002..hsp90 and phosphorylation on serine 1179 by the protein kinase Akt leads to activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. However, the interplay between these protein-protein interactions remains to be established...
- The relationship between polymorphisms in the endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase gene and the platelet GPIIIa gene with myocardial infarction and venous thromboembolism in African AmericansW C Hooper
Hematologic Disease Branch, Division of AIDS, STD, and TB Laboratory Research, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Chest 116:880-6. 1999To determine whether the polymorphic dinucleotide repeats found in intron 4 of the endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase (ecNOS) gene and the platelet GPIIIa PLA(1)/A(2) polymorphism are associated with myocardial infarction (MI) and ..
- Ligand-independent activation of vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 by fluid shear stress regulates activation of endothelial nitric oxide synthaseZheng Gen Jin
Center for Cardiovascular Research and Department of Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Circ Res 93:354-63. 2003..Finally, we show that inhibiting VEGFR2 kinase significantly reduces flow-mediated NO-dependent arteriolar dilation in vivo. These data identify VEGFR2 as a key mechanotransducer that activates eNOS in response to blood flow...
- Endothelial progenitor cells are rapidly recruited to myocardium and mediate protective effect of ischemic preconditioning via "imported" nitric oxide synthase activityMasaaki Ii
Division of Cardiovascular Research, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02135, USA
Circulation 111:1114-20. 2005..The possibility that EPCs could act as reservoirs of cytokines has been implied by several observations; however, a specific role for cytokine delivery has not been identified...
- Peroxynitrite generated by inducible nitric oxide synthase and NADPH oxidase mediates microglial toxicity to oligodendrocytesJianrong Li
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, and Program in Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9936-41. 2005..Blocking peroxynitrite formation with nitric oxide synthase inhibitors, superoxide dismutase mimics, or a decomposition catalyst abrogated the cytotoxicity...
- Reciprocal regulation of cellular nitric oxide formation by nitric oxide synthase and nitrite reductasesGeorge B Stefano
Neuroscience Research Institute, State University of New York College at Old Westbury, Old Westbury, NY 11568 0210, USA
Med Sci Monit 17:RA221-6. 2011..The profound implications of a reciprocal regulatory mechanism responsible for cytosolic and mitochondrial NO production are discussed below...
- Kinetoplastid membrane protein-11 DNA vaccination induces complete protection against both pentavalent antimonial-sensitive and -resistant strains of Leishmania donovani that correlates with inducible nitric oxide synthase activity and IL-4 generation: evRajatava Basu
Department of Immunology, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata
J Immunol 174:7160-71. 2005..This is the first report of a vaccine conferring protection to both antimony responsive and resistant Leishmania strains reflecting several aspects of clinical visceral leishmaniasis...
- DNA methylation in the arginase-nitric oxide synthase pathway is associated with exhaled nitric oxide in children with asthmaCarrie V Breton
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:191-7. 2011Genetic variation in arginase (ARG) and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) has been associated with exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) levels in children. Little is known about whether epigenetic variation in these genes modulates FeNO.
- Altered responses to bacterial infection and endotoxic shock in mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthaseJ D MacMicking
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell 81:641-50. 1995Mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) were generated to test the idea that iNOS defends the host against infectious agents and tumor cells at the risk of contributing to tissue damage and shock...
- Nitric oxide synthase lies downstream from vascular endothelial growth factor-induced but not basic fibroblast growth factor-induced angiogenesisM Ziche
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, 50134, Florence, Italy
J Clin Invest 99:2625-34. 1997..Our studies support recent evidence that VEGF and bFGF induce angiogenesis by different mechanistic pathways using the alphavbeta5 and alphavbeta3 integrins, respectively...
- A missense Glu298Asp variant in the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene is associated with coronary spasm in the JapaneseM Yoshimura
Division of Cardiology, Kumamoto University School of Medicine, Honjo, Japan
Hum Genet 103:65-9. 1998..this study has been to elucidate the possible variants that occur in the coding region of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene and that may be associated with coronary spasm...
- Oxidative stress and nitric oxide synthase in rat diabetic nephropathy: effects of ACEI and ARBMaristela Lika Onozato
Division of Nephrology and Endocrinology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Kidney Int 61:186-94. 2002..We tested the hypothesis that Ang II subtype 1 (AT1) receptor activation enhances oxidative stress and nitrotyrosine deposition in the kidneys of rats with diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- Nitric oxide mediates the antiapoptotic effect of insulin in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion: the roles of PI3-kinase, Akt, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylationFeng Gao
Department of Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circulation 105:1497-502. 2002Recent evidence from cultured endothelial cell studies suggests that phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) through the PI3-kinase-Akt pathway increases NO production...
- Arginase reciprocally regulates nitric oxide synthase activity and contributes to endothelial dysfunction in aging blood vesselsDan E Berkowitz
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Circulation 108:2000-6. 2003..We tested the hypotheses that arginase reciprocally regulates NOS by modulating L-arginine bioavailability and that arginase is upregulated in aging vasculature, contributing to depressed endothelial function...
- Innate immunity in Arabidopsis thaliana: lipopolysaccharides activate nitric oxide synthase (NOS) and induce defense genesDana Zeidler
Institute of Biochemical Plant Pathology, GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:15811-6. 2004..Finally, AtNOS1 mutants showed dramatic susceptibility to the pathogen Pseudomonas syringae pv. tomato DC3000. In sum, perception of LPS and induction of NOS contribute toward the activation of plant defense responses...
- Insulin resistance, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseH Duplain
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypertension and Vascular Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Circulation 104:342-5. 2001..Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is expressed in skeletal muscle, where it may govern metabolic processes, and in the vascular ..
- RhoA/Rho-kinase suppresses endothelial nitric oxide synthase in the penis: a mechanism for diabetes-associated erectile dysfunctionTrinity J Bivalacqua
Department of Urology, Tulane Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA 70112, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:9121-6. 2004..RhoA/Rho-kinase may suppress endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Effect of advanced glycation end-products on gene expression and synthesis of TNF-alpha and endothelial nitric oxide synthase by endothelial cellsGloria Rashid
Department of Nephrology and Hypertension, Sapir Medical Center, Meir General Hospital, Kfar Saba and Sackler Faculty of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel
Kidney Int 66:1099-106. 2004..endothelial cells, the AGEs' effect on gene expression and synthesis of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) mRNA and protein expression, which may be involved in vascular remodeling.
- Downregulation of endocardial nitric oxide synthase expression and nitric oxide production in atrial fibrillation: potential mechanisms for atrial thrombosis and strokeHua Cai
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Circulation 106:2854-8. 2002..We hypothesized that atrial fibrillation (AF) causes a downregulation of atrial endocardial NOS expression and NO* production. Because NO* has antithrombotic properties, this may contribute to thromboembolism in AF...
- Expression of multiple isoforms of nitric oxide synthase in normal and atherosclerotic vesselsJ N Wilcox
Emory University, Department of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:2479-88. 1997..To determine whether this is due to decreased synthesis of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), we examined normal and atherosclerotic human vessels by in situ hybridization and ..
- Phosphorylation of Thr(495) regulates Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase activityI Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, Klinikum der J W G Universität, Frankfurt, Germany
Circ Res 88:E68-75. 2001The activity of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) can be regulated independently of an increase in Ca(2+) by the phosphorylation of Ser(1177) but results only in a low nitric oxide (NO) output...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is required in alcohol-induced liver injury: studies with knockout miceStephen E McKim
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Gastroenterology 125:1834-44. 2003..However, the production of the free radical nitric oxide (NO*) by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) could also be involved.
- Delayed reduction of ischemic brain injury and neurological deficits in mice lacking the inducible nitric oxide synthase geneC Iadecola
Department of Neurology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455, USA
J Neurosci 17:9157-64. 1997Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), an enzyme that produces toxic amounts of nitric oxide, is expressed in a number of brain pathologies, including cerebral ischemia...
- Phenotype of mice and macrophages deficient in both phagocyte oxidase and inducible nitric oxide synthaseM U Shiloh
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York 10021, USA
Immunity 10:29-38. 1999..reactive oxygen intermediates by phagocyte oxidase (phox) and reactive nitrogen intermediates by inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2)...
- Intracellular processing of endothelial nitric oxide synthase isoforms associated with differences in severity of cardiopulmonary diseases: cleavage of proteins with aspartate vs. glutamate at position 298M Tesauro
Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine Branch, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1590, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:2832-5. 2000An endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) polymorphism in exon 7 (894 G/T) resulting in glutamate or aspartate, respectively, at position 298 on the protein is correlated with severity of cardiopulmonary diseases...
- The relative importance of T cell subsets in immunity and immunopathology of airborne Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection in miceT Mogues
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, New York 12983, USA
J Exp Med 193:271-80. 2001..cells, class I major histocompatibility complex (MHC), class II MHC, interferon (IFN)-gamma, or inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2), were infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis (Mtb) by aerosol, and monitored over time for their ..
- Regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase by tetrahydrobiopterin in vascular diseaseNicholas J Alp
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, United Kingdom
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:413-20. 2004Nitric oxide (NO), produced by endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), is a key signaling molecule in vascular homeostasis...
- Abnormal aortic valve development in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseT C Lee
Division of Cardiology, Terrence Donnelly Heart Center, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 101:2345-8. 2000..Therefore, we investigated the role of endothelium-derived NO during cardiovascular development using mice deficient in eNOS...
- Pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis: role of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHabib M Razavi
Vascular Biology Group, Lawson Health Research Institute, Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Center, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:227-33. 2004..9 +/- 0.7% vs. 3.8 +/- 0.6%, p < 0.05) but was independent of endothelial iNOS. Thus, neutrophil iNOS-derived NO is an important autocrine modulator of pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis...
- Cardiovascular biology of the asymmetric dimethylarginine:dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase pathwayPatrick Vallance
BHF Laboratories, Division of Medicine, University College London, Rayne Institute, 5 University St, London WC1 6JJ, UK
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 24:1023-30. 2004An increasing number of reports indicate that endogenously produced inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase, particularly asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), regulate nitric oxide generation in disease states...
- Cytoprotective effects of nitrite during in vivo ischemia-reperfusion of the heart and liverMark R Duranski
Department of Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, 71130, USA
J Clin Invest 115:1232-40. 2005..These studies reveal an unexpected and novel therapy for diseases such as myocardial infarction, organ preservation and transplantation, and shock states...
- Overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase accelerates atherosclerotic lesion formation in apoE-deficient miceMasanori Ozaki
Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Clin Invest 110:331-40. 2002....
- 1400W is a slow, tight binding, and highly selective inhibitor of inducible nitric-oxide synthase in vitro and in vivoE P Garvey
Institute of Biochemistry, Glaxo Wellcome, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709, USA
J Biol Chem 272:4959-63. 1997..Thus, the potency and selectivity of 1400W inhibition of iNOS both in vitro and in vivo were far greater than of any previously described iNOS inhibitor...
- Origin of superoxide production by endothelial nitric oxide synthaseE Stroes
Department of Nephrology and Vascular Medicine, F 03 226, University Hospital Utrecht, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 438:161-4. 1998..spin resonance spectroscopy, we have investigated the production of superoxide by bovine endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS)...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase limits left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction in miceM Scherrer-Crosbie
Cardiology Division, Cardiovascular Research Center, Department of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circulation 104:1286-91. 2001Background- To investigate the role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS3) in left ventricular (LV) remodeling after myocardial infarction (MI), the impact of left anterior descending coronary artery ligation on LV size and function ..
- Regulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase: location, location, locationPhilip W Shaul
Department of Pediatrics University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9063, USA
Annu Rev Physiol 64:749-74. 2002Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is expressed in vascular endothelium, airway epithelium, and certain other cell types where it generates the key signaling molecule nitric oxide (NO)...
- Expression of p53, inducible nitric oxide synthase and vascular endothelial growth factor in gastric precancerous and cancerous lesions: correlation with clinical featuresChang Wei Feng
Laboratory for Cancer Research, College of Medicine, Zhengzhou University, Zhengzhou, Henan, China
BMC Cancer 2:8. 2002..Recent studies indicate that the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and the tumor suppressor p53 are fundamental play-..
- The emerging role of asymmetric dimethylarginine as a novel cardiovascular risk factorRainer H Boger
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Institute of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, Center of Experimental Medicine, University Hospital Hamburg Eppendorf, D 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 59:824-33. 2003..Among other treatments, the administration of L-arginine has been shown to improve endothelium-dependent vascular function in subjects with high ADMA levels...
- Neuregulin-1 induces a negative inotropic effect in cardiac muscle: role of nitric oxide synthaseKatrien Lemmens
Laboratory of Physiology, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, Building V, 6th Floor, 2020 Antwerp, Belgium
Circulation 109:324-6. 2004..Deficient cardiac neuregulin/ErbB signaling increases susceptibility to heart failure. In this study, we examined the effects of neuregulin-1 (NRG-1) on myocardial contractility...
- Activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase mediates apoptosis induced by uropathogenic Escherichia coli toxins via nitric oxide synthase: protective role of heme oxygenase-1Ming Chen
Department of Pediatrics, Pediatric Nephrology Unit, Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
J Infect Dis 190:127-35. 2004..In conclusion, the activation of ERK mediates O6 toxin-mediated renal cell death via induction of iNOS. Stimulation of HO-1 protects cells against death...
- Nitric oxide synthase modulates CFA-induced thermal hyperalgesia through cytokine regulation in miceYong Chen
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Josef Schneider Str 11, 97080 Wurzburg, Germany
Mol Pain 6:13. 2010Although it has been largely demonstrated that nitric oxide synthase (NOS), a key enzyme for nitric oxide (NO) production, modulates inflammatory pain, the molecular mechanisms underlying these effects remain to be clarified...
- Endogenous nitric oxide synthase inhibitors in the biology of disease: markers, mediators, and regulators?Ben Caplin
Centre for Nephrology, UCL Medical School, Royal Free Campus 2nd Floor, Rowland Hill St, London NW3 2PF
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 32:1343-53. 2012..methylarginines inhibit nitric oxide synthesis in vivo by competing with L-arginine at the active site of nitric oxide synthase. High circulating levels of asymmetric dimethylarginine predict adverse outcomes, specifically vascular ..
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition and oxidative stress in cardiovascular diseases: possible therapeutic targets?Luc Rochette
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie et Pharmacologies Cardio Métaboliques LPPCM, France Electronic address
Pharmacol Ther 140:239-57. 2013..Therefore, it appears that both a lack and excess of NO production in diseases can have various important pathological implications. In this context, NOS modulators (exogenous and endogenous) and their therapeutic effects are discussed...
- Effects of selective and non-selective inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase on morphine- and endomorphin-1-induced analgesia in acute and neuropathic pain in ratsWioletta Makuch
Department of Pain Pharmacology, Institute of Pharmacology, Polish Academy of Sciences, 12 Smetna Street, 31 343 Krakow, Poland
Neuropharmacology 75:445-57. 2013..We examined the effects of intrathecally (i.t.) administered nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitors on the antinociceptive effects of morphine and endomorphin-1 during acute pain and in ..
- Mitochondrial nitric oxide synthase is constitutively active and is functionally upregulated in hypoxiaZ Lacza
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 31:1609-15. 2001..Recent studies show the presence of a potentionally new isoform of the nitric oxide synthase (NOS) enzyme in mitochondria, although doubts have emerged regarding the physiological relevance of ..
- Rho GTPase/Rho kinase negatively regulates endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation through the inhibition of protein kinase B/Akt in human endothelial cellsXiu Fen Ming
Vascular Biology, Institute of Physiology, University of Fribourg, CH 1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Mol Cell Biol 22:8467-77. 2002Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is an important regulator of cardiovascular homeostasis by production of nitric oxide (NO) from vascular endothelial cells...
- S-nitrosylation in health and diseaseMatthew W Foster
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Trends Mol Med 9:160-8. 2003..An understanding of these mechanisms is crucial for the development of an integrated model of NO biology, and for effective treatment of diseases associated with dysregulation of NO homeostasis...
- Nitric oxide synthase uncoupling: a therapeutic target in cardiovascular diseasesNathan D Roe
Center for Cardiovascular Research and Alternative Medicine, University of Wyoming College of Health Sciences, Laramie, WY 82071, USA
Vascul Pharmacol 57:168-72. 2012b>Nitric oxide synthase enzyme (NOS) possesses the unique ability to be "uncoupled" to produce superoxide anion (O(2)(-)) instead of nitric oxide (NO)...
- The ratio between tetrahydrobiopterin and oxidized tetrahydrobiopterin analogues controls superoxide release from endothelial nitric oxide synthase: an EPR spin trapping studyJeannette Vasquez-Vivar
Biophysics Research Institute and Free Radical Research Center, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, U S A
Biochem J 362:733-9. 2002..Purified endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) generates superoxide under limited availability of 5,6,7,8-tetrahydrobiopterin (BH(4))...
- Subcellular and cellular locations of nitric oxide synthase isoforms as determinants of health and diseaseCleva Villanueva
Escuela Superior de Medicina, Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico, D F 11320, Mexico
Free Radic Biol Med 49:307-16. 2010..Subcellular compartmentalization of specific nitric oxide synthase enzymes has been shown to play a major role in health and disease...
- Accelerated atherosclerosis, aortic aneurysm formation, and ischemic heart disease in apolipoprotein E/endothelial nitric oxide synthase double-knockout miceP J Kuhlencordt
Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiology Division, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circulation 104:448-54. 2001To test whether deficiency in endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) affects atherosclerosis development, we compared lesion formation in apolipoprotein E (apoE)/eNOS-double knockout (DKO) and apoE-knockout (KO) control animals.
- Dual effect of anandamide on rat placenta nitric oxide synthesisM Cella
Laboratory of Physiopathology of Pregnancy and Labor CEFYBO, School of Medicine, National Research Council University of Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, C1121ABG Buenos Aires, Argentina
Placenta 29:699-707. 2008..We hypothesized that AEA have an important implication in the normal function of placental tissues...
- Eccentric exercise induces nitric oxide synthase expression through nuclear factor-kappaB modulation in rat skeletal muscleElena Lima-Cabello
Institute of Biomedicine, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
J Appl Physiol (1985) 108:575-83. 2010This study aimed to investigate the effect of eccentric exercise on the expression of the different nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in rat deep vastus lateralis muscle...
- Regulation of the expression of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHartmut Kleinert
Department of Pharmacology, Johannes Gutenberg University, D 55101 Mainz, Germany
Biol Chem 384:1343-64. 2003Nitric oxide (NO), generated by the inducible isoform of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), has been described to have beneficial microbicidal, antiviral, antiparasital, immunomodulatory, and antitumoral effects...
- Nitric oxide synthase isoforms and glomerular hyperfiltration in early diabetic nephropathyR Veelken
Medizinische Klinik IV, Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
J Am Soc Nephrol 11:71-9. 2000..the hypothesis that nitric oxide (NO)-mediated renal vasodilation due to the activity of the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) contributes to glomerular hyperfiltration in diabetic rats...
- Organ-specific and stage-dependent control of Leishmania major infection by inducible nitric oxide synthase and phagocyte NADPH oxidaseMartin Blos
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Immunol 33:1224-34. 2003In the Leishmania major mouse model of cutaneous leishmaniasis inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is crucial for the killing of the parasite in the skin and draining lymph node. However, the effector mechanism operating against L...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase activation by interleukin-17Djordje Miljkovic
Institute for Biological Research, Belgrade, Serbia and Montenegro
Cytokine Growth Factor Rev 15:21-32. 2004..We also propose biological consequences of IL-17-mediated NO release that could be relevant for the mechanisms or therapy of autoimmune and inflammatory disorders...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in tumor biology: the two sides of the same coinMatthias Lechner
Clinical Division of General and Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Semin Cancer Biol 15:277-89. 2005Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is one of three key enzymes generating nitric oxide (NO) from the amino acid l-arginine. iNOS-derived NO plays an important role in numerous physiological (e.g...
- Promoter of the mouse gene encoding calcium-independent nitric oxide synthase confers inducibility by interferon gamma and bacterial lipopolysaccharideQ W Xie
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York 10021
J Exp Med 177:1779-84. 1993Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) can be expressed by many types of mammalian cells in response to diverse signals acting synergistically, including cytokines and microbial products...
- Hypothermia suppresses inducible nitric oxide synthase and stimulates cyclooxygenase-2 in lipopolysaccharide stimulated BV-2 cellsHannah Gibbons
Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 110:63-75. 2003..At 37 degrees C, LPS elicited strong increases in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), nitric oxide (NO), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), tumour necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), and ..
- Impairment of vascular endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity by advanced glycation end productsBiao Xu
Center for Cardiovascular Biology and Medicine, King s College London, London SE1 1UL, UK
FASEB J 17:1289-91. 2003..In HUVEC, AGE-Glu inhibited endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity, and this was associated with a decrease in serine phosphorylation of this enzyme...
- Altered regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in macrophages from senescent miceL C Chen
Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160, USA
Infect Immun 64:4288-98. 1996....
- Role of Chromogranin A in Metabolic SyndromeSushil K Mahata; Fiscal Year: 2013..CST transiently stimulates gluconeogenesis by attenuating endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and 5'-adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase (AMPK), and enhances glucose disposal ..
- ANDREW GREGORY SIKORA; Fiscal Year: 2015..T cell responses through a variety of mechanisms including production of nitric oxide (NO) by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS)...
- REGULATION OF PULMONARY CIRCULATION IN FETUS AND NEWBORNGirija G Konduri; Fiscal Year: 2013..Activation of NADPH oxidase and uncoupled activity of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) are sources of superoxide (O2[unreadable]-) in the pulmonary arteries in PPHN...
- Christie P Thomas; Fiscal Year: 2014..We hypothesize that sFlt1 inhibits glomerular endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) and NO release which in turn increases ET-1 expression and release from GEC...
- UV-induced and NOS-mediated Zn elevation, translation regulation and apoptosisShiyong Wu; Fiscal Year: 2012..The objective of this application is to elucidate the mechanisms that regulate UV-induced apoptosis via nitric oxide synthase (NOS) mediated signaling pathways and to determine the roles of nitric oxide (NO)/peroxynitrite (ONOO) and ..
- Todd W Rice; Fiscal Year: 2014..Inflammation results in plasma citrulline deficiency which leads to arginine deficiency and uncoupling of nitric oxide synthase (NOS). NOS, in its natural coupled form, utilizes arginine as substrate for producing NO and citrulline...
- Tsung Ung W Woo; Fiscal Year: 2014..promote oxidative stress, nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate (NADPH) oxidase (Nox) and neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), and the catalytic and modulatory subunits of the antioxidant enzyme glutamate cysteine ligase in ..
- Claude A Piantadosi; Fiscal Year: 2016..New preliminary data links AMPK activation to nitric oxide synthase-2 (NOS2) induction in sepsis, does not require high AMP/ATP, and loss of AMPK activation in nitric oxide ..
- Bingmei M Fu; Fiscal Year: 2014..the endothelial cells and the tumor cells (specifically, activate cell adhesion molecules and endothelial nitric oxide synthase) to increase the binding of tumor cells to the vessel wall and to increase the accumulation of tumor cells;..
- ALBERT GIROTTI; Fiscal Year: 2015..b>Nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-generated NO in low doses is known to have pro-survival and growth-promoting effects on various ..
- Zivar Yousefipour; Fiscal Year: 2016..Therefore, an interaction may persist between PPAR?, NAD(P)H oxidase and NO/nitric oxide synthase (NOS) system in acrolein toxicity...
- SHELLY CHI LOO LU; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our new data also show cross-talks between AMPK and nitric oxide synthase in modulating the proliferative effect of HGF. How SAMe regulates these pathways will be elucidated. 2...
- Novel Therapeutic Targets in Necrotizing EnterocolitisPeter J Giannone; Fiscal Year: 2012..We have previously shown that intestinal O2 consumption is altered in human NEC secondary to nitric oxide synthase 2 (NOS2) induction...
- YVES CLAUDE GORIN; Fiscal Year: 2014..A major defense of endothelial cells against vascular injury is endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which generates nitric oxide (NO) in the presence of optimal concentrations of the substrate L-..
- Nitric Oxide and gastric motility in female diabeticsPandu R Gangula; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent studies have implicated a role for dysregulation of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) in myenteric neurons and we surmised that gender differences in nitrergic control of gastric ..
- Transplantation of Reduced-Size Fatty LiversZhi Zhong; Fiscal Year: 2010..of antioxidants (Ad-superoxide dismutase, N-acetylcysteine and polyphenols) and antinitrative therapies (nitric oxide synthase inhibitors) on survival and injury of fatty partial grafts will be evaluated...
- Control of Drug Delivery to the CNS: Modulating P-glycoprotein ActivityWilliam A Banks; Fiscal Year: 2013..These sequentially stimulate endothelin-1 (ET-1), which acts through its B receptor (ETRB) to increase nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity that acts within minutes to decrease P- gp activity for min-h: LPS ->TNF ->ET-1 (ETRB)..
- THEA NOREEN GOLDEN; Fiscal Year: 2015..During inflammation, NO production is increased via upregulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression in leukocytes and epithelial cells...
- Balance of Angiotensin II/Angiotensin (1-1): A Target in Ischemic StrokeYanfang Chen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Nitric oxide (NO) from endothelium nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is important in maintaining normal cerebral blood flow...
- Wai Hong Wilson Tang; Fiscal Year: 2016..Our studies have identified loss of pulmonary vascular endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activity in PAH, and that the NO deficiency leads to hypoxia-inducible factor-1 (HIF-1) activation, ..
- Genetic Basis for Impaired Angiogenic Signaling in BPDSTEVEN HERBERT ABMAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..VEGF stimulates angiogenesis through upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which increases nitric oxide (NO) production...
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPAUL LEON KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To simulate the dramatically reduced levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be ..
- Treatment of stroke with a clinically approved proteasome inhibitorLi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2012..Proteasome inhibitors enhance endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and improve endothelial function...
- II ROBERTS; Fiscal Year: 2015..levels of endothelial cell tetrahydrobiopterin as a means to prevent oxidative stress due to uncoupling of nitric oxide synthase. The proposed research in Project 5 will explore the mechanisms underlying the biosynthesis of leukotriene-..
- Sonia M Najjar; Fiscal Year: 2016..phosphorylation of CEACAM1 by both insulin and VEGF receptors regulates Akt1 activation of endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase (eNOS), an essential step in mediating endothelial function, it is reasonable to propose that CEACAM1 is ..
- NFkB in the Astrocyte Swelling/Brain Edema with Acute Liver FailureMICHAEL DAVID NORENBERG; Fiscal Year: 2012..mechanism of cell swelling, along with their interaction with inflammatory enzymes, including inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), phospholipase A2 (PLA2), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) that are regulated by NF-kB, will be ..
- Matthew J Campen; Fiscal Year: 2016..driving impaired dilatory function is the formation of peroxynitrite and uncoupling of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Nitrotyrosine is upregulated in the vasculature following chronic, low-level gasoline exhaust exposure, ..
- Christopher S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2014..abstract_text> ..
- SECRETION AND BIOSYNTHESIS OF INSULINMichael L McDaniel; Fiscal Year: 2012..amp;nitric oxide (NO) are required for GSK-3 &mTOR signaling by A) examining if RNA interference of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms or MTP components, VDAC &ANT, alter the physiological responses of rodent &human ..
- Regulatory Mechanisms of Oxidative Stress in Cardiac Angiogenesis PostinfarctionYao Sun; Fiscal Year: 2013..by coronary artery ligation in Sprague-Dawley (SD) rats with pharmacological intervention;inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) gene knockout mice;and cultured endothelial cells, we intend to fulfill the following specific aims:..
- Purinergic signaling in sleep apneaElzbieta Kaczmarek; Fiscal Year: 2012..generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS), inflammation, and impairment of the activity of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), an enzyme responsible for generation of nitric oxide, whose bioavailability is key for proper ..
- Angiotensin-induced Oxidants and Vascular Cell PhenotypeRichard Cohen; Fiscal Year: 2009..to understand how reactive oxygen (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species (RNS) derived from NADPH oxidase and nitric oxide synthase(s) regulate the outcome of the vascular cell phenotypic response to these interacting cytokines and growth ..
- Charles Steenbergen; Fiscal Year: 2016..One signaling pathway that has major importance in cardioprotection is the activation of nitric oxide synthase, which can result in nitrosylation of protein cysteine residues...
- Plasma iNOS IVD Prognosticates Sepsis Prior to Organ Damage and DysfunctionRobert J Webber; Fiscal Year: 2010..study which can be completed in 36 months or less will be conducted on our IVD test for plasma inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) as an accurate and reliable plasma biomarker for detecting early the onset of sepsis in trauma ..
- Hepatocyte Nitric Oxide Synthase Regulation by Glucagon and InsulinBrian G Harbrecht; Fiscal Year: 2012..NO is produced in hepatocytes by the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) that is stimulated by cytokines and proinflammatory stimuli...
- David A Ford; Fiscal Year: 2014..1) is elevated in activated human monocytes and in human atherosclerotic tissue;2) inhibits endothelial nitric oxide synthase;3) elicits ceramide accumulation in macrophages and smooth muscle cells;4) causes macrophage apoptosis;5) ..
- Oxygen/Nitrogen Stress in Acetaminophen HepatotoxicityJack A Hinson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Hence, addition of inhibitors of MPT, oxidant stress, and nitric oxide synthase (NOS1) inhibited mitochondrial injury, nitration, and development of APAP-mediated toxicity...
- Microanalytical methods for the detection of reactive nitrogen speciesSusan M Lunte; Fiscal Year: 2010..other peptides released by astrocytes during infection or inflammation cause the induction of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), which results in the release of large amounts of nitric oxide into the neurovascular space...
- Keer Sun; Fiscal Year: 2016..Therefore, both NOX2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) activities critically contribute to oxidative stress which has long been known to be involved in ..
- ASS, NOS2, AND ALCOHOLIC LIVER DISEASENatalia Nieto; Fiscal Year: 2012..Alcohol-induced liver injury involves significant mitochondrial damage and up-regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2) leading to excessive generation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and reactive nitrogen species ..
- Role of Insulin Receptors in the KidneyCAROLYN MARY ECELBARGER; Fiscal Year: 2013..Renal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity will be measured in inner medulla, outer medulla, and cortex, as well as, microdissected ..
- NITRIC OXIDE AND OXYGENATION IN DIABETIC KIDNEYSNILS AXEL FREDRIK PALM; Fiscal Year: 2010..This research program focuses on intracellular metabolism of a specific nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitor, asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA), by dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase (DDAH) ..
- Dual AAV Vectors for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy TherapyDongsheng Duan; Fiscal Year: 2012..the fact that the 6 kb minigene can fully restore muscle force, this minigene cannot restore neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) to the sarcolemma...
- Chemoprevention of Head &Neck Cancer Using Controlled Release PolymersSusan R Mallery; Fiscal Year: 2013..a variety of chemopreventive effects in HNSCC cells that included reduction in VEGF release, inhibition of nitric oxide synthase, initiation of apoptosis and induction of differentiation...
- Jianxin Sun; Fiscal Year: 2015DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Nitric oxide (NO), produced by endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), is critical to the maintenance of vascular homeostasis through promoting vasodilation and inhibiting vascular smooth muscle ..
- Immunosuppression by Adult Stem CellsYufang Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..Such cytokine pairs provoked MSCs to express inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), produce NO, and secrete of large amounts of T cell specific-chemokines, which complement the ..
- Stephanie W Watts; Fiscal Year: 2015..The 5- HT-induced chronic fall in blood pressure is dependent on the activity of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) because the NOS inhibitor N-nitro-L-arginine (LNNA) abolished 5-HT-induced chronic fall in blood ..
- Adiponetin and AMPK BiosensorJohn Y J Shyy; Fiscal Year: 2010..to the Adipo receptors elicits AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) to phosphorylate/activate endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which enhances NO bioavailability...
- IGF-1, oxidative stress and telomere dynamics in cultured human somatic cellsRivka C Stone; Fiscal Year: 2012..IGF-1 also stimulates the nitric oxide synthase (NOS), increasing production of nitric oxide (NO), an antioxidant and antiproliferative agent...
- Exercise Induced Biochemical and Anatomical AdaptationsJohn O Holloszy; Fiscal Year: 2013..in the pathway leading from CAMK and AMPK to increased mitochondrial biogenesis and GLUT expression, that nitric oxide synthase is involved in this process, and that activation of p38 results in phosphorylation and activation of PGC-..
- Jeffrey A Kline; Fiscal Year: 2015..also disrupts lung NO biosynthesis through the release of arginase-1, which depletes the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) substrate, L-arginine...
- John A Auchampach; Fiscal Year: 2016..This study will utilize rats and genetic knockout mice of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms as well as cellular models of cardiomyocytes and cardiac fibroblasts to elucidate in depth, ..
- JOHN TAYLOR GROVES; Fiscal Year: 2016..P450 is the central protein involved in drug detoxification and hormone metabolism while the related nitric oxide synthase is the source of the signal molecules nitric oxide and peroxynitrite...
- Thomas S Kilduff; Fiscal Year: 2016..funding period, we identified a population of cells in the cerebral cortex that express the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNos) within which the transcription factor Fos is expressed specifically during recovery sleep (RS) ..
- PPAR gamma regulates vascular endothelial reactive species production in diabetesC Michael Hart; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because PPARg ligands do not increase the expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), this aim will focus on PPARg-mediated alterations in the post-translational regulation of eNOS ..
- PPAR-gamma-mediated neuroprotection against HIV-1 and alcohol CNS injuryYuri Persidsky; Fiscal Year: 2009..immune activated macrophages [through cytokine and glutamate production, activation of inducible nitric oxide synthase and generation of reactive oxygen species, (ROS)]? 2) Can PPARgamma stimulation attenuate ..
- Resolution and repair of acute lung injury by macrophage-derived iNOSFRANCO R D'ALESSIO; Fiscal Year: 2011..LPS, among them BAL nitrites/nitrates (NOx). Consistent with the increase in NOx, we found that inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein expression was significantly upregulated in the lung and peaked at day 4 after injury...
- Intrauterine hypoxia induces cytokine gene expression in fetal cardiac ventriclesLASHAUNA C EVANS; Fiscal Year: 2010..in the adult heart has been reported to upregulate the oxygen- sensitive gene expression of both inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and proinflammatory cytokines...
- Kathryn Hinchee-Rodriguez; Fiscal Year: 2016..reduced insulin production or insulin sensitivity, the latter of which has been associated with reduced nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity in T2DM skeletal muscle...
- Seena Ajit; Fiscal Year: 2014..three putative hsa-miR-939 target mRNAs including vascular endothelial growth factor A (VEGFA), inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS2A), and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFalpha) to assess if downregulation of hsa-miR- 939 can result ..
- Franco R D'Alessio; Fiscal Year: 2014..LPS, among them BAL nitrites/nitrates (NOx). Consistent with the increase in NOx, we found that inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) protein expression was significantly upregulated in the lung and peaked at day 4 after injury...
- Neuron-Dervied S1P and Endothelial Function in StrokeChristian Waeber; Fiscal Year: 2010..In brain EC, sphingosine-1-phosphate (S1P) induces Akt/endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) activation, suppresses apoptosis and induces proliferation...
- KLF2 as a regulator of endothelial cell biologyMUKESH KUMAR JAIN; Fiscal Year: 2012..of potent anti-inflammatory and anti-thrombotic factors such as thrombomodulin (TM) and endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Nitric Oxide Releasing Topical Gel for Burn Wound HealingANJAL SHARMA; Fiscal Year: 2007..inhalation therapies) involve systemic or topical treatments with drugs designed to stimulate inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS) intracellularly...
- NO Metabolic Control in PregnancyThomas Hintze; Fiscal Year: 2006..There is an upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in almost all vascular beds studied in the gravid female including skeletal muscle, kidney and utems or ..
- Assesment of Meridian Theory in the Vascular SystemDAVID DAEKYUNG KIM; Fiscal Year: 2010..reports have established the relevance of nitric oxide (NO), particularly the NO derived from endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) as a regulatory molecule in vascular tone, permeability, angiogenesis and tissue remodeling...
- Arginase and Regulation of Nitric Oxide Synthase in ALSRajiv Ratan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results have been conflicting likely because currently available inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase do not permit optimal control of NO generation within particular cell types and subcellular compartments...
- NITRIC OXIDE AND CERVICAL RIPENINGJames Schreiber; Fiscal Year: 1999..In rodents, inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) reduce cervical extensibility and prolong the duration of labor, suggesting that NOS may be a new ..
- CEREBRAL VESSEL INNERVATION IN HYPERTENSIONTony Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..ChAT (Choline acetyltransferase) and NOS (nitric oxide synthase) are colocalized in the same cerebral perivascular nerves, and that ACh acts presynaptically to inhibit ..
- Nitric oxide as a target for dietary intervention in colitisMichael Wargovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overproduction of nitric oxide by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) has been proposed as a pathogenic factor in colitis...
- Stephen M Black; Fiscal Year: 2016The overall goal of these continuing studies is to understand how endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) signaling is regulated in the pulmonary system with emphasis on its role in the perinatal period...