Genomes and Genes
nitric oxide synthase
Summary: An NADPH-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of L-ARGININE and OXYGEN to produce CITRULLINE and NITRIC OXIDE.
Publications290 found, 100 shown here
- Nitric oxide and the immune responseC Bogdan
Institute of Clinical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene, Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Wasserturmstrasse 3 5, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Nat Immunol 2:907-16. 2001..Its striking inter- and intracellular signaling capacity makes it extremely difficult to predict the effect of NOS inhibitors and NO donors, which still hampers therapeutic applications...
- Activation of nitric oxide synthase in endothelial cells by Akt-dependent phosphorylationS Dimmeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Germany
Nature 399:601-5. 1999..Thus, phosphorylation of eNOS by Akt represents a novel Ca2+-independent regulatory mechanism for activation of eNOS...
- Mechanisms of increased vascular superoxide production in human diabetes mellitus: role of NAD(P)H oxidase and endothelial nitric oxide synthaseTomasz J Guzik
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Circulation 105:1656-62. 2002....
- Nitric oxide synthases: structure, function and inhibitionW K Alderton
In Vitro Pharmacology Department, GlaxoSmithKline Research and Development, Medicines Research Centre, Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage SG1 2NY, UK
Biochem J 357:593-615. 2001This review concentrates on advances in nitric oxide synthase (NOS) structure, function and inhibition made in the last seven years, during which time substantial advances have been made in our understanding of this enzyme family...
- An essential role for interferon gamma in resistance to Mycobacterium tuberculosis infectionJ L Flynn
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Microbiology, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, New York 10461
J Exp Med 178:2249-54. 1993..In contrast to control mice, gko mice exhibit heightened tissue necrosis and succumb to a rapid and fatal course of tuberculosis that could be delayed, but not prevented, by treatment with exogenous recombinant IFN-gamma...
- Regulation of endothelium-derived nitric oxide production by the protein kinase AktD Fulton
Department of Pharmacology, Boyer Center for Molecular Medicine, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 06536, USA
Nature 399:597-601. 1999Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is the nitric oxide synthase isoform responsible for maintaining systemic blood pressure, vascular remodelling and angiogenesis...
- Oxidation of tetrahydrobiopterin leads to uncoupling of endothelial cell nitric oxide synthase in hypertensionUlf Landmesser
Division of Cardiology, Emory University School of Medicine and Atlanta Veterans Administration Hospital, 1639 Pierce Drive, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
J Clin Invest 111:1201-9. 2003..Treatment strategies that increase tetrahydrobiopterin or prevent its oxidation may prove useful in preventing vascular complications of this common disease...
- Molecular mechanisms involved in the regulation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthaseIngrid Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, J W Goethe Universitat, Theodor Stern Kai 7, D 60590 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 284:R1-12. 2003The endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), the expression of which is regulated by a range of transcriptional and posttranscriptional mechanisms, generates nitric oxide (NO) in response to a number of stimuli...
- Calorie restriction promotes mitochondrial biogenesis by inducing the expression of eNOSEnzo Nisoli
Integrated Laboratories Network, Department of Preclinical Sciences, Luigi Sacco Hospital, Milan University, 20157 Milan, Italy
Science 310:314-7. 2005..Here, we report that calorie restriction for either 3 or 12 months induced endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and 3',5'-cyclic guanosine monophosphate formation in various tissues of male mice...
- Peroxynitrite generated by inducible nitric oxide synthase and NADPH oxidase mediates microglial toxicity to oligodendrocytesJianrong Li
Department of Neurology, Children s Hospital, and Program in Neuroscience, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:9936-41. 2005..Blocking peroxynitrite formation with nitric oxide synthase inhibitors, superoxide dismutase mimics, or a decomposition catalyst abrogated the cytotoxicity...
- The role of nitric oxide in tumour progressionDai Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:521-34. 2006..We also discuss potential strategies for cancer treatment that modulate NO production and/or its downstream signalling pathways...
- Nitric oxide mediates the antiapoptotic effect of insulin in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion: the roles of PI3-kinase, Akt, and endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylationFeng Gao
Department of Emergency Medicine, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Circulation 105:1497-502. 2002..Recent evidence from cultured endothelial cell studies suggests that phosphorylation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) through the PI3-kinase-Akt pathway increases NO production...
- Phosphorylation of Thr(495) regulates Ca(2+)/calmodulin-dependent endothelial nitric oxide synthase activityI Fleming
Institut für Kardiovaskuläre Physiologie, Klinikum der J W G Universität, Frankfurt, Germany
Circ Res 88:E68-75. 2001The activity of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) can be regulated independently of an increase in Ca(2+) by the phosphorylation of Ser(1177) but results only in a low nitric oxide (NO) output...
- Kinetoplastid membrane protein-11 DNA vaccination induces complete protection against both pentavalent antimonial-sensitive and -resistant strains of Leishmania donovani that correlates with inducible nitric oxide synthase activity and IL-4 generation: evRajatava Basu
Department of Immunology, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata
J Immunol 174:7160-71. 2005..This is the first report of a vaccine conferring protection to both antimony responsive and resistant Leishmania strains reflecting several aspects of clinical visceral leishmaniasis...
- beta-Amyloid stimulation of microglia and monocytes results in TNFalpha-dependent expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and neuronal apoptosisC K Combs
Alzheimer Research Laboratory, Department of Neurosciences, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio 44106, USA
J Neurosci 21:1179-88. 2001..that the neuronal loss was apoptotic in nature and involved increased neuronal expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and subsequent peroxynitrite production...
- Expression of multiple isoforms of nitric oxide synthase in normal and atherosclerotic vesselsJ N Wilcox
Emory University, Department of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:2479-88. 1997..To determine whether this is due to decreased synthesis of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), we examined normal and atherosclerotic human vessels by in situ hybridization and ..
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is required in alcohol-induced liver injury: studies with knockout miceStephen E McKim
Department of Pharmacology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
Gastroenterology 125:1834-44. 2003..However, the production of the free radical nitric oxide (NO*) by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) could also be involved.
- Nitric oxide as a secretory product of mammalian cellsC Nathan
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021
FASEB J 6:3051-64. 1992..This article reviews how different forms of nitric oxide synthase help confer specificity and diversity on the effects of this remarkable signaling molecule.
- Overexpression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase accelerates atherosclerotic lesion formation in apoE-deficient miceMasanori Ozaki
Division of Cardiovascular and Respiratory Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
J Clin Invest 110:331-40. 2002....
- Accelerated atherosclerosis, aortic aneurysm formation, and ischemic heart disease in apolipoprotein E/endothelial nitric oxide synthase double-knockout miceP J Kuhlencordt
Cardiovascular Research Center, Cardiology Division, Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Circulation 104:448-54. 2001To test whether deficiency in endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) affects atherosclerosis development, we compared lesion formation in apolipoprotein E (apoE)/eNOS-double knockout (DKO) and apoE-knockout (KO) control animals.
- Eccentric exercise induces nitric oxide synthase expression through nuclear factor-kappaB modulation in rat skeletal muscleElena Lima-Cabello
Institute of Biomedicine, University of Leon, 24071 Leon, Spain
J Appl Physiol 108:575-83. 2010This study aimed to investigate the effect of eccentric exercise on the expression of the different nitric oxide synthase (NOS) isoforms in rat deep vastus lateralis muscle...
- The STAT pathway mediates late-phase immunity against Plasmodium in the mosquito Anopheles gambiaeLalita Gupta
Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Rockville, MD 20892 8130, USA
Cell Host Microbe 5:498-507. 2009..AgSTAT-A participates in the transcriptional activation of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in response to bacterial and plasmodial infection...
- Dual effect of anandamide on rat placenta nitric oxide synthesisM Cella
Laboratory of Physiopathology of Pregnancy and Labor CEFYBO, School of Medicine, National Research Council University of Buenos Aires, Paraguay 2155, C1121ABG Buenos Aires, Argentina
Placenta 29:699-707. 2008..We hypothesized that AEA have an important implication in the normal function of placental tissues...
- Altered regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in macrophages from senescent miceL C Chen
Department of Microbiology, Molecular Genetics and Immunology, University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City 66160, USA
Infect Immun 64:4288-98. 1996....
- Responses of neuronal nitric oxide synthase expression in the brainstem to electroacupuncture Zusanli (ST 36) in ratsSheng Xing Ma
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, David Geffen School of Medicine at University of California Los Angeles, Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson Street, RB 1, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
Brain Res 1037:70-7. 2005..We conclude that EA ST 36 induces nNOS expression in the gracile nucleus and mNTS, and enhanced nNOS-NO in the nuclei may modify central cardiovascular regulation, which contribute to hypotensive effects of acupuncture...
- Predominant role of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in vascular endothelial growth factor-induced angiogenesis and vascular permeabilityD Fukumura
Edwin L Steele Laboratory, Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 100 Blossom Street, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:2604-9. 2001..Thus, selective modulation of eNOS activity is a promising strategy for altering angiogenesis and vascular permeability in vivo...
- Plasma nitrite rather than nitrate reflects regional endothelial nitric oxide synthase activity but lacks intrinsic vasodilator actionT Lauer
, Pneumologie, und Angiologie, , , Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:12814-9. 2001..Our results further demonstrate that physiological levels of nitrite are vasodilator-inactive...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is not essential for control of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in miceKara L Cummings
Center for Tropical and Emerging Global Diseases, 623 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Infect Immun 72:4081-9. 2004..In this study, we show that mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS or NOS2) exhibit resistance to T. cruzi infection that is comparable to that of wild-type mice...
- Altered responses to bacterial infection and endotoxic shock in mice lacking inducible nitric oxide synthaseJ D MacMicking
Beatrice and Samuel A Seaver Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York 10021, USA
Cell 81:641-50. 1995Mice deficient in inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) were generated to test the idea that iNOS defends the host against infectious agents and tumor cells at the risk of contributing to tissue damage and shock...
- Augmented BH4 by gene transfer restores nitric oxide synthase function in hyperglycemic human endothelial cellsShijie Cai
Department of Cardiovascular Medicine, University of Oxford, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford OX3 9DU, UK
Cardiovasc Res 65:823-31. 2005..HAEC were cultured in media with low glucose (5 mM) or high glucose (30 mM)...
- Nitric oxide synthase lies downstream from vascular endothelial growth factor-induced but not basic fibroblast growth factor-induced angiogenesisM Ziche
Department of Pharmacology, University of Florence, 50134, Florence, Italy
J Clin Invest 99:2625-34. 1997..Our studies support recent evidence that VEGF and bFGF induce angiogenesis by different mechanistic pathways using the alphavbeta5 and alphavbeta3 integrins, respectively...
- Endothelial progenitor cells are rapidly recruited to myocardium and mediate protective effect of ischemic preconditioning via "imported" nitric oxide synthase activityMasaaki Ii
Division of Cardiovascular Research, Caritas St Elizabeth s Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Mass 02135, USA
Circulation 111:1114-20. 2005..The possibility that EPCs could act as reservoirs of cytokines has been implied by several observations; however, a specific role for cytokine delivery has not been identified...
- On the role of nitric oxide in hippocampal long-term potentiationChristelle L M Bon
The Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom
J Neurosci 23:1941-8. 2003..The results resonate with observations concerning the role of the hippocampal NO-cGMP pathway in certain types of learning behavior...
- Nitric oxide contributes to induction of innate immune responses to gram-negative bacteria in DrosophilaEdan Foley
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Genes Dev 17:115-25. 2003..Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) increased larval sensitivity to gram-negative bacterial infection, and abrogated induction of the ..
- Coexpression of inducible nitric oxide synthase and COX-2 in hepatocellular carcinoma and surrounding liver: possible involvement of COX-2 in the angiogenesis of hepatitis C virus-positive casesM A Rahman
Second Department of Surgery, Shimane Medical University, Izumo 693 8501, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 7:1325-32. 2001Expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) has been reported to be responsible for enhanced tumor growth and angiogenesis in various tumors...
- Insulin resistance, hyperlipidemia, and hypertension in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseH Duplain
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hypertension and Vascular Medicine, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Circulation 104:342-5. 2001..Endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is expressed in skeletal muscle, where it may govern metabolic processes, and in the vascular ..
- Reduced expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase after infection with Toxoplasma gondii facilitates parasite replication in activated murine macrophagesCarsten G K Lüder
Department of Bacteriology, Georg August University Gottingen, Kreuzbergring 57, D 37075 Gottingen, Germany
Int J Parasitol 33:833-44. 2003..gondii on nitric oxide production and expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase and determined the functional significance of a parasite-induced evasion of this potential effector ..
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate inhibits interleukin-1beta-induced expression of nitric oxide synthase and production of nitric oxide in human chondrocytes: suppression of nuclear factor kappaB activation by degradation of the inhibitor of nuclear factor kappaRashmi Singh
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-4946, USA
Arthritis Rheum 46:2079-86. 2002..and were treated with EGCG (100 microM) and IL-1beta (2 ng/ml) for different periods, and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) messenger RNA and protein expression was determined by real-time quantitative reverse transcriptase-..
- Leptin effect on endothelial nitric oxide is mediated through Akt-endothelial nitric oxide synthase phosphorylation pathwayCarmine Vecchione
IRCCS Neuromed, Pozzilli (IS, Italy
Diabetes 51:168-73. 2002..In conclusion, leptin induces NO production by activating a PI 3-kinase-independent Akt-eNOS phosphorylation pathway...
- Pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis: role of inducible nitric oxide synthaseHabib M Razavi
Vascular Biology Group, Lawson Health Research Institute, Division of Respirology, Department of Medicine, London Health Sciences Center, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 170:227-33. 2004..9 +/- 0.7% vs. 3.8 +/- 0.6%, p < 0.05) but was independent of endothelial iNOS. Thus, neutrophil iNOS-derived NO is an important autocrine modulator of pulmonary neutrophil infiltration in murine sepsis...
- Inactivation of phosphorylated endothelial nitric oxide synthase (Ser-1177) by O-GlcNAc in diabetes-associated erectile dysfunctionBiljana Musicki
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11870-5. 2005Impaired endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) function is associated with erectile dysfunction in diabetes mellitus, but the exact molecular basis for the eNOS defect in the diabetic penis remains unclear...
- Chemopreventive properties of a selective inducible nitric oxide synthase inhibitor in colon carcinogenesis, administered alone or in combination with celecoxib, a selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitorChinthalapally V Rao
Chemoprevention Program, American Health Foundation, Valhalla, New York 10595, USA
Cancer Res 62:165-70. 2002The inducible isoforms of nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and cyclooxygenase (COX-2) are overexpressed in colonic tumors of humans, as well as in colon tumors that develop in rats after the administration of the colon-specific carcinogen, ..
- Mechanisms of suppression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression in RAW 264.7 cells by andrographolideW F Chiou
National Research Institute of Chinese Medicine, Taipei, Taiwan
Br J Pharmacol 129:1553-60. 2000..It is also possible that inhibition of iNOS protein expression and NO production under immune stimulation and/or bacteria infection may explain, in part, the beneficial effects of andrographolide as an anti-inflammatory agent...
- TRAF6 deficiency results in osteopetrosis and defective interleukin-1, CD40, and LPS signalingM A Lomaga
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S2
Genes Dev 13:1015-24. 1999..These findings establish unexpectedly diverse and critical roles for TRAF6 in perinatal and postnatal survival, bone metabolism, LPS, and cytokine signaling...
- Phosphorylation of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase at ser-1177 is required for VEGF-induced endothelial cell migrationS Dimmeler
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Internal Medicine IV, University of Frankfurt, Theodor Stern Kai 7, 60590, Frankfurt, Germany
FEBS Lett 477:258-62. 2000..Our data indicate that eNOS activation via phosphorylation of Ser-1177 by Akt is necessary and sufficient for VEGF-mediated EC migration...
- DNA methylation in the arginase-nitric oxide synthase pathway is associated with exhaled nitric oxide in children with asthmaCarrie V Breton
Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90033, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 184:191-7. 2011Genetic variation in arginase (ARG) and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) has been associated with exhaled nitric oxide (FeNO) levels in children. Little is known about whether epigenetic variation in these genes modulates FeNO.
- Nitric oxide and its modulators in chronic constriction injury-induced neuropathic pain in ratsAjit K Naik
Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Indian Veterinary Research Institute, Izatnagar
Eur J Pharmacol 530:59-69. 2006..induced by chronic constriction injury of sciatic nerve of rats by using NO precursor, NO donors and nitric oxide synthase (NOS) inhibitors...
- Cutting edge: urease release by Helicobacter pylori stimulates macrophage inducible nitric oxide synthaseAlain P Gobert
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, and Greenebaum Cancer Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Immunol 168:6002-6. 2002..Taken together, these findings indicate a new role for the essential H. pylori survival factor, urease, implicating it in NO-dependent mucosal damage and carcinogenesis...
- The caveolar nitric oxide synthase/arginine regeneration system for NO production in endothelial cellsLarry P Solomonson
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of South Florida College of Medicine, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
J Exp Biol 206:2083-7. 2003The enzyme endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) catalyzes the conversion of arginine, oxygen and NADPH to NO and citrulline...
- Role of nitric oxide in the regulation of digital pulse volume amplitude in humansAnju Nohria
Cardiovascular Div, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis St, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Appl Physiol 101:545-8. 2006..The present study establishes a central role for nitric oxide in the augmentation of PVA during reactive hyperemia. The measurement of digital PVA-RH may indeed provide a simple means of assessing endothelial function in humans...
- Cerebral alterations in a MPTP-mouse model of Parkinson's disease--an immunocytochemical studyY Muramatsu
Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Tohoku University Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science and Medicine, Sendai, Japan
J Neural Transm 110:1129-44. 2003We investigated the immunohistochemical alterations of neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), endothelial NOS (eNOS), tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), microtubule-associated protein 2a,b (MAP 2), glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP), ..
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase and vascular injuryM Kibbe
University of Pittsburgh, Department of Surgery, PA 15261, USA
Cardiovasc Res 43:650-7. 1999..Lastly, the pathophysiology of transplant vasculopathy is discussed as well as the role of iNOS in this setting...
- Nitric oxide synthase complexed with dystrophin and absent from skeletal muscle sarcolemma in Duchenne muscular dystrophyJ E Brenman
Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine 94143 0444, USA
Cell 82:743-52. 1995..Aberrant regulation of nNOS may contribute to preferential degeneration of fast-twitch muscle fibers in DMD...
- Virulent but not avirulent Mycobacterium tuberculosis can evade the growth inhibitory action of a T helper 1-dependent, nitric oxide Synthase 2-independent defense in miceYu Jin Jung
The Trudeau Institute, Saranac Lake, NY 12983, USA
J Exp Med 196:991-8. 2002..cytokines, to upregulate the antimycobacterial function of macrophages of which the synthesis of inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS)2 is an essential event...
- Irradiation-induced angiogenesis through the up-regulation of the nitric oxide pathway: implications for tumor radiotherapyPierre Sonveaux
Pharmacology and Therapeutics Unit (FATH 5349, University of Louvain Medical School, B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
Cancer Res 63:1012-9. 2003..induced the activation of the proangiogenic NO pathway in ECs through increases in endothelial nitric oxide synthase abundance and phosphorylation...
- Cardiomyocyte overexpression of iNOS in mice results in peroxynitrite generation, heart block, and sudden deathImran N Mungrue
Heart and Stroke Richard Lewar Centre of Excellence, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Invest 109:735-43. 2002Increased inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) expression is a component of the immune response and has been demonstrated in cardiomyocytes in septic shock, myocarditis, transplant rejection, ischemia, and dilated cardiomyopathy...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase in the tuberculous human lungCarl Nathan
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:130-1. 2002
- Modulation of the tumor vasculature functionality by ionizing radiation accounts for tumor radiosensitization and promotes gene deliveryPierre Sonveaux
University of Louvain Medical School, Pharmacology and Therapeutics Unit (FATH 5349, B-1200 Brussels, Belgium
FASEB J 16:1979-81. 2002..Thus, low-dose irradiation of endothelial cells within a tumor is a key determinant of the effectiveness of radiotherapy and may offer a new strategy to increase gene and/or drug delivery to the tumor...
- Asymmetrical dimethylarginine: the Uber marker?John P Cooke
Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, 300 Pasteur Dr, Stanford, Calif 94305, USA
Circulation 109:1813-8. 2004
- S-nitrosylation of dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolase regulates enzyme activity: further interactions between nitric oxide synthase and dimethylarginine dimethylaminohydrolaseJames Leiper
Centre for Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, British Heart Foundation Laboratories, University College London, 5 University Street, London WC1N 6JJ, United Kingdom
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:13527-32. 2002..We also identify Cys-His-Glu as a nitrosylation motif that is conserved in a family of arginine handling enzymes...
- Abnormal aortic valve development in mice lacking endothelial nitric oxide synthaseT C Lee
Division of Cardiology, Terrence Donnelly Heart Center, St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Circulation 101:2345-8. 2000..Therefore, we investigated the role of endothelium-derived NO during cardiovascular development using mice deficient in eNOS...
- Differential response to myocardial reperfusion injury in eNOS-deficient miceBrent R Sharp
Department of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 282:H2422-6. 2002Two strains of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)-deficient (-/-) mice have been developed that respond differently to myocardial ischemia-reperfusion (MI/R). We evaluated both strains of eNOS(-/-) mice in an in vivo model of MI/R...
- Pulmonary vasoconstriction and hypertension in mice with targeted disruption of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (NOS 3) geneW Steudel
Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston 02114, USA
Circ Res 81:34-41. 1997..We conclude that NOS 3 is a key enzyme responsible for providing basal pulmonary NO release. Congenital NOS 3 deficiency produces mild pulmonary hypertension in mice...
- Altered tetrahydrobiopterin metabolism in atherosclerosis: implications for use of oxidized tetrahydrobiopterin analogues and thiol antioxidantsJeannette Vasquez-Vivar
Biophysics Research Institute, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22:1655-61. 2002..The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of hyperlipidemia on vascular BH4 levels and the effect of supplementation with sepiapterin in the presence and absence of N-acetylcysteine (NAC)...
- Regional differences in the cellular immune response to experimental cutaneous or visceral infection with Leishmania donovaniP C Melby
The Audie L Murphy Veterans Administration Hospital, and Department of Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78284 7881, USA
Infect Immun 66:18-27. 1998..The in situ expression of IFN-gamma, interleukin-4 (IL-4), IL-10, IL-12, and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) mRNAs was determined in the spleen, draining lymph node (LN), and cutaneous site of inoculation...
- Vascular endothelial dysfunction: does tetrahydrobiopterin play a role?Z S Katusic
Department of Anesthesiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 281:H981-6. 2001..potent naturally occurring reducing agents and an essential cofactor required for enzymatic activity of nitric oxide synthase (NOS)...
- Nitric oxide acts in a positive feedback loop with BDNF to regulate neural progenitor cell proliferation and differentiation in the mammalian brainAiwu Cheng
Laboratory of Neurosciences, National Institute on Aging Gerontology Research Center, 5600 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Dev Biol 258:319-33. 2003....
- Roles of nitric oxide synthase inhibition and vascular endothelial growth factor receptor-2 inhibition on vascular morphology and function in an in vivo model of pancreatic cancerE Ramsay Camp
Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 12:2628-33. 2006....
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is expressed in normal human melanocytes but not in melanoma cells in response to tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interferon-gamma, and lipopolysaccharideLothar F Fecker
Department of Dermatology, University Medical Center Benjamin Franklin, The Free University of Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Invest Dermatol 118:1019-25. 2002..Three different nitric oxide synthases (neuronal nitric oxide synthase, endothelial nitric oxide synthase, inducible nitric oxide synthase) have been identified in human cells...
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase regulation in female genital tract structuresBiljana Musicki
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Sex Med 6:247-53. 2009..However, the role of endothelial NO synthase (eNOS) and the mechanisms that regulate eNOS in female genital tract structures are largely unknown...
- Neuronal nitric oxide synthase inhibition improves diastolic function and reduces oxidative stress in ovariectomized mRen2.Lewis ratsJewell A Jessup
Department of Physiology and Pharmacology, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, NC 27157 1009, USA
Menopause 18:698-708. 2011..Lewis rats leads to an exacerbation of diastolic dysfunction. Because specific neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) inhibition reverses renal damage in the same model, we assessed the effects of inhibiting neuronal ..
- Revisiting heme mechanisms. A perspective on the mechanisms of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), Heme oxygenase (HO), and cytochrome P450s (CYP450s)Yaoqiu Zhu
Department of Chemistry, Center for Drug Discovery and Chemical Biology, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, 60208 3113, USA
Biochemistry 47:2231-43. 2008..biological importance of reactions that involve heme, mechanisms of heme reactions in enzymes like nitric oxide synthase (NOS), heme oxygenase (HO), and cytochrome P450s (CYP450s) are still not well-understood...
- Effects of monocrotaline on endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression and sulfhydryl levels in rat lungsRajamma Mathew
Department of Pediatrics, New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY 10595, USA
Heart Dis 4:152-8. 2002..In addition, the authors evaluated the expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase messenger RNA, endothelial nitric oxide synthase protein, cyclic guanosine monophosphate, and sulfhydryl ..
- Evidence of endothelial dysfunction in preeclampsia: decreased endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression is associated with increased cell permeability in endothelial cells from preeclampsiaYuping Wang
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, LA, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 190:817-24. 2004The purposes of this study were to examine endothelial nitric oxide synthase expression in endothelial cells and to determine whether the inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide synthase could impair endothelial barrier function in ..
- Nitrite in pulmonary arterial hypertension: therapeutic avenues in the setting of dysregulated arginine/nitric oxide synthase signallingBrian S Zuckerbraun
Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, NW 607 MUH, 3459 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Cardiovasc Res 89:542-52. 2011....
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase: insight into cell-specific gene regulation in the vascular endotheliumJ E Fish
Department of Medical Biophysics, St. Michael's Hospital and University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Cell Mol Life Sci 63:144-62. 2006..have recently been demonstrated to play important roles in the cell-specific expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition attenuates L-DOPA-induced dyskinesias in a rodent model of Parkinson's diseaseF E Padovan-Neto
Department of Neurology, Psychiatry and Medical Psychology, School of Medicine, Campus USP, Av Bandeirantes 13400, 14049 900, Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
Neuroscience 159:927-35. 2009..In the present study we investigate if nitric oxide synthase inhibitors can prevent dyskinesias induced by repeated administration of L-DOPA in rats with unilateral 6-..
- Experiments with nitric oxide synthase inhibitors in spinal nerve ligated rats provide no evidence of a role for nitric oxide in neuropathic mechanical allodyniaDoo H Lee
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, IN 46285, USA
Neurosci Lett 385:179-83. 2005..investigated the effect of treatment with N(omega)-nitro-l-arginine methylester (l-NAME), a non-selective nitric oxide synthase inhibitor (NOS), both before and after the induction of mechanical allodynia by tight ligation of the left ..
- Mechanisms of diesel-induced endothelial nitric oxide synthase dysfunction in coronary arteriolesTom W Cherng
Department of Cell Biology and Physiology, University of New Mexico, Health Sciences Center, Albuquerque, New Mexico 87131, USA
Environ Health Perspect 119:98-103. 2011..enhances vasoconstriction and diminishes acetylcholine (ACh)-induced dilation in coronary arteries in a nitric oxide synthase (NOS)-dependent manner...
- Nitric oxide synthase inhibition attenuates phencyclidine-induced disruption of cognitive flexibilityCaroline Wass
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology, The Sahlgrenska Academy at Goteborg University, Goteborg, Sweden
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 89:352-9. 2008..These observations, together with accumulated clinical findings, suggest that the NO system is a potential treatment target for cognitive dysfunctions in schizophrenia...
- VEGF-E activates endothelial nitric oxide synthase to induce angiogenesis via cGMP and PKG-independent pathwaysMelissa Cudmore
Department of Reproductive and Vascular Biology, Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences, Institute of Biomedical Research, The Medical School, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, UK
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 345:1275-82. 2006..Inhibition of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) using l-NNA blocked VEGF-E-induced NO release and angiogenesis...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) in tumor biology: the two sides of the same coinMatthias Lechner
Clinical Division of General and Surgical Intensive Care Medicine, Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Medical University of Innsbruck, Anichstrasse 35, A-6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Semin Cancer Biol 15:277-89. 2005Inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is one of three key enzymes generating nitric oxide (NO) from the amino acid l-arginine. iNOS-derived NO plays an important role in numerous physiological (e.g...
- Partial gene deletion of endothelial nitric oxide synthase predisposes to exaggerated high-fat diet-induced insulin resistance and arterial hypertensionStephane Cook
Department of Internal Medicine and the Botnar Center for Clinical Research, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, Lausanne, Switzerland
Diabetes 53:2067-72. 2004....
- Experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis is exacerbated in mice lacking the NOS2 geneJ E Fenyk-Melody
Merck Research Laboratories, Rahway, NJ 07065, USA
J Immunol 160:2940-6. 1998..to be a prominent mediator of inflammation based in part on the correlative expression of the inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) gene in various pathologies...
- Daidzein and 17 beta-estradiol enhance nitric oxide synthase activity associated with an increase in calmodulin and a decrease in caveolin-1Owen L Woodman
Department of Pharmacology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 44:155-63. 2004..relaxation through an increase in NO synthesis due to an increase in activity or expression of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS). Male rats were treated with daidzein (0.2 mg/kg per day sc), 17 beta-estradiol (0...
- Requirement for type 2 NO synthase for IL-12 signaling in innate immunityA Diefenbach
Institut fur Klinische Mikrobiologie, Immunologie und Hygiene, Universitat Erlangen, Wasserturmstrasse 3, D 91054 Erlangen, Germany
Science 284:951-5. 1999..Activation of Tyk2 in NK cells by IFN-alpha/beta also required NOS2. Thus, NOS2-derived NO is a prerequisite for cytokine signaling and function in innate immunity...
- Nitric oxide-mediated promotion of mammary tumour cell migration requires sequential activation of nitric oxide synthase, guanylate cyclase and mitogen-activated protein kinaseLorraine C Jadeski
Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada
Int J Cancer 106:496-504. 2003..Since NOS activity is positively associated with human breast cancer progression, the present results are relevant for development of therapeutic modalities for this disease...
- Helicobacter pylori stimulates inducible nitric oxide synthase expression and activity in a murine macrophage cell lineK T Wilson
Department of Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Gastroenterology 111:1524-33. 1996..High-output nitric oxide production by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) is associated with immune activation and tissue injury...
- Inhibition of nitric oxide synthesis blocks the inhibitory response to capsaicin in intestinal circular muscle preparations from different speciesRita Benko
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapy, University Medical School of Pecs, Szigeti ut 12, H-7643 Pecs, Hungary
Life Sci 76:2773-82. 2005..It is concluded that nitric oxide, possibly of sensory origin, is involved in the relaxant action of capsaicin in the circular muscle of the mouse and human intestine...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase and heme oxygenase-1 in rat heart: direct effect of chronic exposure to hypoxiaAlfredo Grilli
Department of Biomorphology, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, , Chieti, Italy
Ann Clin Lab Sci 33:208-15. 2003..study was to evaluate the effects of chronic exposure to low oxygen tension on the induction of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) in rat heart...
- Expression of an endothelial-type nitric oxide synthase isoform in human neutrophils: modification by tumor necrosis factor-alpha and during acute myocardial infarction- de Frutos
Cardiovascular Research and Hypertension Laboratory, Fundacion Jimenez Diaz, Madrid, Spain
J Am Coll Cardiol 37:800-7. 2001The purpose of this study was to determine whether human neutrophils express an endothelial-type nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), and to study the effect of tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha) on its expression.
- Influence of caveolin, cholesterol, and lipoproteins on nitric oxide synthase: implications for vascular diseaseW V Everson
Department of Physiology, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536, USA
Trends Cardiovasc Med 11:246-50. 2001..Recent studies demonstrate that endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), caveolin, hetero-trimeric G-protein coupled receptors, and a calcium channel form an activation ..
- Vascular gene transfer of phosphomimetic endothelial nitric oxide synthase (S1177D) using ultrasound-enhanced destruction of plasmid-loaded microbubbles improves vasoreactivityClaudius Teupe
Molecular Cardiology, Department of Medicine IV, , University of Frankfurt, Germany
Circulation 105:1104-9. 2002..For gene transfer, we used a phosphomimetic, active endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) construct in which Ser1177 was replaced by aspartic acid (S1177D) and exhibits a 2-fold higher ..
- Endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphisms in Behçet's diseaseCarlo Salvarani
Laboratorio di Biologia Molecolare, Ospedale di Reggio Emilia, Italy
J Rheumatol 29:535-40. 2002To analyze potential associations of Glu-Asp298 polymorphism in exon 7 and 4 a/b polymorphism in intron 4 of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) gene with susceptibility for Behçet's disease (BD).
- Suppression of azoxymethane-induced colonic aberrant crypt foci by a nitric oxide synthase inhibitorT Kawamori
Cancer Prevention Division, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Lett 148:33-7. 2000b>Nitric oxide synthase (NOS), an important bioregulator of a variety of biological processes, is overexpressed in colonic tumors of humans and rodents...
- An endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene polymorphism is associated with preeclampsiaC B Tempfer
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Baylor College of Medicine, 6550 Fannin, Houston, Texas, USA
Hypertens Pregnancy 20:107-18. 2001We sought to test the hypothesis that a polymorphism of the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene (NOS3) is associated with preeclampsia.
- Localization of sarcoglycan, neuronal nitric oxide synthase, beta-dystroglycan, and dystrophin molecules in normal skeletal myofiber: triple immunogold labeling electron microscopyY Wakayama
Department of Neurology, Showa University Fujigaoka Hospital, 1 30 Fujigaoka, Aoba ku, Yokohama 227 8501, Japan
Microsc Res Tech 55:154-63. 2001In order to investigate the mode of existence of the sarcoglycan complex, neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS), beta-dystroglycan, and dystrophin in the normal skeletal myofiber, we examined the ultrastructural localization and mutual ..
- Induction of direct antimicrobial activity through mammalian toll-like receptorsS Thoma-Uszynski
Division of Dermatology, Department of Microbiology and Immunology and Molecular Biology Institute, UCLA School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
Science 291:1544-7. 2001..Thus, mammalian TLRs respond (as Drosophila Toll receptors do) to microbial ligands and also have the ability to activate antimicrobial effector pathways at the site of infection...
- Inducible nitric oxide synthase is an endogenous neuroprotectant after traumatic brain injury in rats and miceE H Sinz
Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, Safar Center for Resuscitation Research, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
J Clin Invest 104:647-56. 1999..However, after TBI, iNOS(-/-) mice showed markedly worse performance in the MWM task than iNOS(+/+) mice. A beneficial role for iNOS in TBI is supported...
- Dexras1: a G protein specifically coupled to neuronal nitric oxide synthase via CAPONM Fang
Department of Neuroscience, School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21205, USA
Neuron 28:183-93. 2000..These findings identify Dexras1 as a novel physiologic NO effector and suggest that anchoring of nNOS to specific targets is a mechanism by which NO signaling is enhanced...
- Anxiogenesis induced by nitric oxide synthase inhibition and anxiolytic effect of melanin-concentrating hormone (MCH) in rat brainM E Monzon
Laboratorio de Fisiologia, Departamento de Farmacologia, Facultad de Ciencias Quimicas, Universidad Nacional de Córdoba UNC, 5000 Cordoba, Argentina
Peptides 22:1043-7. 2001..The rats received an intraamygdaline or intrahippocampal injection of the nitric oxide synthase inhibitor, N(G)-nitro-l-arginine (L-NOARG), and were then tested in the plus-maze test...
- Femtosecond Coherence Spectroscopy and Ultrafast Kinetic Investigations of Heme PPaul M Champion; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the structure, function, and dynamics of heme proteins such as cytochrome P450, mammalian peroxidases, nitric oxide synthase, soluble guanylate cyclase, nitrophorin, and cytochrome c...
- NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN THE JUXTAGLOMERULAR APPARATUSChristopher S Wilcox; Fiscal Year: 2010..They could identify new molecular mechanisms that underlie endothelial and kidney dysfunction, and could provide new targets for therapy for patients with these conditions. ..
- Genetic Basis for Impaired Angiogenic Signaling in BPDSTEVEN HERBERT ABMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..VEGF stimulates angiogenesis through upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which increases nitric oxide (NO) production...
- Role of Insulin Receptors in the KidneyCAROLYN MARY ECELBARGER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Renal nitric oxide synthase (NOS) activity will be measured in inner medulla, outer medulla, and cortex, as well as, microdissected ..
- Nitric Oxide Releasing Topical Gel for Burn Wound HealingANJAL SHARMA; Fiscal Year: 2007..inhalation therapies) involve systemic or topical treatments with drugs designed to stimulate inducible nitric oxide synthase (NOS) intracellularly...
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPAUL LEON KAUFMAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..To simulate the dramatically reduced levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be ..
- Aqueous humor dynamics studies in vivo and in vitroPaul Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..To simulate the dramatically reduced levels of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) in the anterior segment in glaucoma, a short-term equivalent of nitrergic denervation will be ..
- Role of iNOS, Nitric Oxide & Arginase in Statin-Mediated Toxicity in Cancer CellsBalaraman Kalyanaraman; Fiscal Year: 2009..cause increased cytotoxicity to breast cancer cells through either increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and nitric oxide (NO) and/or decreased arginase expression...
- A mechanism for TNF induced endothelial dysfunctionArnold Johnson; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Genes, Environment & Neural Stem Cell Transplantation in the GutPankaj J Pasricha; Fiscal Year: 2010..a strategy of transplanting CNS-derived NSC (CNS-NSC) in mice with a genetic deletion of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) enzyme, we have shown that CNS-NSC can successfully engraft and differentiate into nNOS expressing ..
- Genes, Environment & Neural Stem Cell Transplantation in the GutPANKAJ PASRICHA; Fiscal Year: 2009..a strategy of transplanting CNS-derived NSC (CNS-NSC) in mice with a genetic deletion of the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) enzyme, we have shown that CNS-NSC can successfully engraft and differentiate into nNOS expressing ..
- Nitric Oxide Metabolic Control in PregnancyThomas Hintze; Fiscal Year: 2003..There is an upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in almost all vascular beds studied in the gravid female including skeletal muscle, kidney and utems or ..
- NO Metabolic Control in PregnancyThomas Hintze; Fiscal Year: 2006..There is an upregulation of endothelial nitric oxide synthase in almost all vascular beds studied in the gravid female including skeletal muscle, kidney and utems or ..
- Reactive nitrogen species and accelerated atherosclerosisMing Hui Zou; Fiscal Year: 2007There is evidence that reactive nitrogen species (RNS) derived from nitric oxide (NO) of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), such as peroxynitrite (ONOO-), are important in cardiovascular diseases including diabetes...
- TETRAHYDROBIOPTERIN--REGULATOR OF ENDOTHELIAL FUNCTIONZVONIMIR KATUSIC; Fiscal Year: 1999..Biosynthesis of nitric oxide requires activation of nitric oxide synthase in the presence of tetrahydrobiopterin as a cofactor...
- Femtosecond Coherence Spectroscopy and Ultrafast Kinetic Investigations of Heme PPaul M Champion; Fiscal Year: 2010..of the structure, function, and dynamics of heme proteins such as cytochrome P450, mammalian peroxidases, nitric oxide synthase, soluble guanylate cyclase, nitrophorin, and cytochrome c...
- Balance of Angiotensin II/Angiotensin (1-1): A Target in Ischemic StrokeYanfang Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Nitric oxide (NO) from endothelium nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) is important in maintaining normal cerebral blood flow...
- Regulation of Endothelial Nitric Oxide Synthase mRNA stabilityJianxin Sun; Fiscal Year: 2010Nitric oxide (NO), produced by endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), is critical to the maintenance of vascular homeostasis through promoting vasodilation and inhibiting vascular smooth muscle cells proliferation, platelets ..
- Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase and Insulin ResistanceMasao Kaneki; Fiscal Year: 2004..resistance, including obesity and type 2 diabetes, are associated with increased expression of inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and oxidative stress...
- Suicide Endophenotypes and Molecular Mechanisms of Lithium ActionTodd D Gould; Fiscal Year: 2010..Toward this end, clinical studies have implicated polymorphisms in a number of genes, including neuronal nitric oxide synthase (NOS1), with measures of impulsivity, aggression, and suicide...
- Arginase and Regulation of Nitric Oxide Synthase in ALSRajiv Ratan; Fiscal Year: 2004..The results have been conflicting likely because currently available inhibitors of nitric oxide synthase do not permit optimal control of NO generation within particular cell types and subcellular compartments...
- CONTROL MECHANISMS OF THE NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASESDennis J Stuehr; Fiscal Year: 2010Three nitric oxide synthase enzymes (NOS) evolved to function in human health and disease. We wish to define the mechanisms and the protein structural features that regulate NOS catalysis...
- CONTROL MECHANISMS OF THE NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASESDennis Stuehr; Fiscal Year: 2009Three nitric oxide synthase enzymes (NOS) evolved to function in human health and disease. We wish to define the mechanisms and the protein structural features that regulate NOS catalysis...
- Nitric Oxide Synthase 2 in Endotoxemia and SepsisMARK PERRELLA; Fiscal Year: 2007..The inducible form of nitric oxide synthase (NOS2) plays an important role in endotoxemia/sepsis through overproduction of nitric oxide (NO)...
- Nitric Oxide Synthase Polymorphisms and Risk for Skin CancerAbrar Qureshi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Most important, as nitric oxide production can be modified by using topical agents to increase or decrease production locally in the skin, future chemoprevention strategies may be developed based on results of this work. ..
- Treatment of stroke with a clinically approved proteasome inhibitorLi Zhang; Fiscal Year: 2010..Proteasome inhibitors enhance endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) expression and improve endothelial function...
- MEDIATORS OF PULMONARY VASODILATATION IN LIVER DISEASEMichael Fallon; Fiscal Year: 2003..of chronic liver disease and is characterized by changes in the levels and activity of endothelial nitric oxide synthase. How these changes occur and why there is variability in the vascular beds involved is incompletely ..
- CEREBRAL VESSEL INNERVATION IN HYPERTENSIONTony Lee; Fiscal Year: 2002..ChAT (Choline acetyltransferase) and NOS (nitric oxide synthase) are colocalized in the same cerebral perivascular nerves, and that ACh acts presynaptically to inhibit ..
- Superoxide Generation from eNOS: The Role of PterinsJeannette Vasquez Vivar; Fiscal Year: 2003Tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) is an essential cofactor of endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS)...
- REGULATION OF NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE IN DEVELOPING LUNGPhilip Shaul; Fiscal Year: 2005..Ultimately, we may be able to take greater therapeutic advantage of the effects of E2 on the pulmonary and also coronary and uterine circulations, thereby optimizing the vascular health of both the fetus and the mother. ..
- Nitric oxide as a target for dietary intervention in colitisMichael Wargovich; Fiscal Year: 2007..Overproduction of nitric oxide by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) has been proposed as a pathogenic factor in colitis...
- Perinatal regulation of endothelial NOSStephen M Black; Fiscal Year: 2010The overall goal of these continuing studies is to understand how endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS) signaling is regulated in the pulmonary system with emphasis on its role in the perinatal period...
- Dual AAV Vectors for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy TherapyDongsheng Duan; Fiscal Year: 2009..Furthermore, they cannot restore the neuronal nitric oxide synthase (nNOS) recruiting function of the full-length protein...
- Genetic evaluation of nitric oxide regulating genes in ischemic strokeTimothy Howard; Fiscal Year: 2007..The availability of NO is largely dependent upon three nitric oxide synthase (NOS) enzymes that catalyze L-arginine to citrulline, with the subsequent production of NO...
- MECHANISM & DESIGN OF NITRIC OXIDE SYNTHASE INACTIVATORSRichard Silverman; Fiscal Year: 2002..of new isoform-selective inhibitors, the design and mechanism of inactivation of new inactivators of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), and at one question of the catalytic mechanism of the enzyme...
- Radical Intermediates of Nitric Oxide Synthase & Myocardial Ischemia ReperfusionAh Lim Tsai; Fiscal Year: 2010..temporal dependence of the radical intermediates, including ROS and RNS, induced by oxygen in all three nitric oxide synthase isozymes...