Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme found in bacteria. It catalyzes the reduction of ferredoxin and other substances in the presence of molecular hydrogen and is involved in the electron transport of bacterial photosynthesis. EC 220.127.116.11.
Publications311 found, 100 shown here
- Occurrence, classification, and biological function of hydrogenases: an overviewPaulette M Vignais
CEA Grenoble, Laboratoire de Biochimie et Biophysique des Systemes Integres, UMR CEA CNRS UJF 5092, Institut de Recherches en Technologies et Sciences pour le Vivant iRTSV, 17 rue des Martyrs, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Chem Rev 107:4206-72. 2007
- The iron-hydrogenase of Thermotoga maritima utilizes ferredoxin and NADH synergistically: a new perspective on anaerobic hydrogen productionGerrit J Schut
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602 7229, USA
J Bacteriol 191:4451-7. 2009..The trimeric [FeFe]-type hydrogenase that was previously purified from T...
- [FeFe]-hydrogenase in Yellowstone National Park: evidence for dispersal limitation and phylogenetic niche conservatismEric S Boyd
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, 59717, USA
ISME J 4:1485-95. 2010..In this study, we examined the [FeFe]-hydrogenase gene (hydA) as a proxy for fermentative bacterial H₂ production along physical and chemical gradients in ..
- The crystal structure of an oxygen-tolerant hydrogenase uncovers a novel iron-sulphur centreJohannes Fritsch
Mikrobiologie, Institut fur Biologie, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Chausseestraße 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Nature 479:249-52. 2011..Here we present the crystal structure of an O(2)-tolerant [NiFe]-hydrogenase from the aerobic H(2) oxidizer Ralstonia eutropha H16 at 1.5 Å resolution...
- Sustained photobiological hydrogen gas production upon reversible inactivation of oxygen evolution in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiA Melis
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, 111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, California 94720 3102, USA
Plant Physiol 122:127-36. 2000The work describes a novel approach for sustained photobiological production of H(2) gas via the reversible hydrogenase pathway in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii...
- Rewiring hydrogenase-dependent redox circuits in cyanobacteriaDaniel C Ducat
Department of Systems Biology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:3941-6. 2011..increasing the photobiological production of hydrogen within cyanobacterial cultures, we expressed the [FeFe] hydrogenase, HydA, from Clostridium acetobutylicum in the non-nitrogen-fixing cyanobacterium Synechococcus elongatus sp...
- Structural basis for a [4Fe-3S] cluster in the oxygen-tolerant membrane-bound [NiFe]-hydrogenaseYasuhito Shomura
Department of Life Science, Graduate School of Life Science, University of Hyogo, 3 2 1 Koto, Kamigori cho, Ako gun, Hyogo 678 1297, Japan
Nature 479:253-6. 2011Membrane-bound respiratory [NiFe]-hydrogenase (MBH), a H(2)-uptake enzyme found in the periplasmic space of bacteria, catalyses the oxidation of dihydrogen: H(2) → 2H(+) + 2e(-) (ref. 1)...
- RNA silencing of hydrogenase(-like) genes and investigation of their physiological roles in the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiJames E Godman
Department of Plant Sciences, University of Cambridge, UK
Biochem J 431:345-51. 2010The genome of the green alga Chlamydomonas reinhardtii encodes two [FeFe]-hydrogenases, HydA1 and HydA2, and the hydrogenase-like protein HYD3...
- Production of biohydrogen by heterologous expression of oxygen-tolerant Hydrogenovibrio marinus [NiFe]-hydrogenase in Escherichia coliJaoon Y H Kim
Department of Chemical Engineering, Pohang University of Science and Technology, Pohang 790 784, Republic of Korea
J Biotechnol 155:312-9. 2011Oxygen sensitivity of hydrogenase is a critical issue in efficient biological hydrogen production...
- Identification of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase responsible for hydrogen generation in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum and demonstration of increased ethanol yield via hydrogenase knockoutA Joe Shaw
Dartmouth College, Thayer School of Engineering, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
J Bacteriol 191:6457-64. 2009Three putative hydrogenase enzyme systems in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum were investigated at the genetic, mRNA, enzymatic, and phenotypic levels...
- Heterologous expression and maturation of an NADP-dependent [NiFe]-hydrogenase: a key enzyme in biofuel productionJunsong Sun
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10526. 2010..Microbial hydrogen production is catalyzed by hydrogenase, an extremely complex, air-sensitive enzyme that utilizes a binuclear nickel-iron [NiFe] catalytic site...
- Molecular hydrogen as an energy source for Helicobacter pyloriJonathan W Olson
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Science 298:1788-90. 2002..pylori. Hydrogenase activity in H. pylori is constitutive but increased fivefold upon incubation with hydrogen...
- Flexibility in anaerobic metabolism as revealed in a mutant of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii lacking hydrogenase activityAlexandra Dubini
Environmental Science and Engineering Division, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado 80401, USA
J Biol Chem 284:7201-13. 2009..b>Hydrogenase activity is an important component of this metabolism, and we have compared metabolic and regulatory responses ..
- Efficient electron transfer from hydrogen to benzyl viologen by the [NiFe]-hydrogenases of Escherichia coli is dependent on the coexpression of the iron-sulfur cluster-containing small subunitConstanze Pinske
Institute for Microbiology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Kurt Mothes Str 3, 06120, Halle, Saale, Germany
Arch Microbiol 193:893-903. 2011..coli [NiFe]-hydrogenases restored activity of the respective hydrogenase to strain FTD147, which carries in-frame deletions in the hyaB, hybC, and hycE genes encoding the large ..
- HypF, a carbamoyl phosphate-converting enzyme involved in [NiFe] hydrogenase maturationAthanasios Paschos
Mikrobiologie, Department I der Fakultät für Biologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Maria Ward Strasse 1a, D 80638 Munich, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:49945-51. 2002..the derived amino acid sequence showed a full correlation of the resulting variants between their activity in hydrogenase maturation and the in vitro reactivity with carbamoyl phosphate...
- Distinct physiological roles of the three [NiFe]-hydrogenase orthologs in the hyperthermophilic archaeon Thermococcus kodakarensisTamotsu Kanai
Department of Biotechnology, College of Life Sciences, Ritsumeikan University, Kusatsu 525 8577, Japan
J Bacteriol 193:3109-16. 2011..with the reduction of elemental sulfur (S⁰) or H₂ generation, harbors three gene operons encoding [NiFe]-hydrogenase orthologs, namely, Hyh, Mbh, and Mbx...
- Insights into [FeFe]-hydrogenase structure, mechanism, and maturationDavid W Mulder
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Structure 19:1038-52. 2011..The wealth of structural information on different classes and different states of hydrogenase enzymes, biosynthetic intermediates, and maturation enzymes has contributed significantly to understanding the ..
- Engineering a non-native hydrogen production pathway into Escherichia coli via a cyanobacterial [NiFe] hydrogenaseMark A Wells
ChELSI Institute, Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, University of Sheffield, Mappin Street, UK
Metab Eng 13:445-53. 2011..Hydrogen production is observed in vivo in a hydrogenase null host, demonstrating coupling to host electron transfer systems...
- The hows and whys of aerobic H2 metabolismAlison Parkin
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Oxford OX1 3QR, UK
Curr Opin Chem Biol 16:26-34. 2012..In light of recent structural data and mutagenic studies this article reviews the molecular mechanism of O2-tolerance in [NiFe]-hydrogenases and discusses the biosynthesis of the unique Fe-S relay...
- The hyperthermophilic bacterium, Thermotoga maritima, contains an unusually complex iron-hydrogenase: amino acid sequence analyses versus biochemical characterizationM F Verhagen
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology and the Center for Metalloenzyme Studies, Life Sciences Building, The University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1412:212-29. 1999..The H(2)-evolving cytoplasmic hydrogenase of this organism was shown to consist of three different subunits of masses 73 (alpha), 68 (beta) and 19 (gamma)..
- Hydrogen fuel production by transgenic microalgaeAnastasios Melis
University of California, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, 111 Koshland Hall, Berkeley, California 94720 3102, USA
Adv Exp Med Biol 616:110-21. 2007..Application of the green algal hydrogenase assembly genes is examined in efforts to confer H2-production capacity to other commercially significant ..
- The biosynthetic routes for carbon monoxide and cyanide in the Ni-Fe active site of hydrogenases are differentWinfried Roseboom
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, NL 1018 WV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
FEBS Lett 579:469-72. 2005..The results suggest that the biosynthetic routes of the carbon monoxide and cyanide ligands in [NiFe]-hydrogenases are different...
- Structure/function relationships of [NiFe]- and [FeFe]-hydrogenasesJuan C Fontecilla-Camps
Laboratoire de Cristallographie et Cristallogenese des Proteines, Institut de Biologie Structurale J P Ebel, CEA, CNRS, Universite Joseph Fourier, 41 rue J Horowitz, 38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France
Chem Rev 107:4273-303. 2007
- Crystal structure of formate dehydrogenase H: catalysis involving Mo, molybdopterin, selenocysteine, and an Fe4S4 clusterJ C Boyington
Laboratory of Molecular Structure, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health NIH, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Science 275:1305-8. 1997..These structures suggest a reaction mechanism that directly involves SeCys140 and His141 in proton abstraction and the molybdenum, molybdopterin, Lys44, and the Fe4S4 cluster in electron transfer...
- Dithiomethylether as a ligand in the hydrogenase h-clusterArti S Pandey
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:4533-40. 2008An X-ray crystallographic refinement of the H-cluster of [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Clostridium pasteurianum has been carried out to close-to atomic resolution and is the highest resolution [FeFe]-hydrogenase presented to date. The 1...
- Carbamoylphosphate serves as the source of CN(-), but not of the intrinsic CO in the active site of the regulatory [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutrophaOliver Lenz
Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Institut für Biologie Mikrobiologie, Chausseestrasse 117, Berlin, Germany
FEBS Lett 581:3322-6. 2007..To identify the metabolic origins of these ligands, the regulatory [NiFe] hydrogenase in conjunction with the indigenous Hyp maturation proteins of Ralstonia eutropha H16 were heterologously ..
- Hydrogen production in Chlamydomonas: photosystem II-dependent and -independent pathways differ in their requirement for starch metabolismVincent Chochois
Commissariat a l Energie Atomique, Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut de Biologie Environnementale et de Biotechnologie, Laboratoire de Bioénergétique et Biotechnologie des Bactéries et Microalgues, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Cadarache, F 13108 Saint Paul lez Durance, France
Plant Physiol 151:631-40. 2009..In the direct pathway, photosystem II (PSII) supplies electrons to hydrogenase through the photosynthetic electron transport chain, while in the indirect pathway, hydrogen is produced in the ..
- Investigating and exploiting the electrocatalytic properties of hydrogenasesKylie A Vincent
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QR, United Kingdom
Chem Rev 107:4366-413. 2007
- Maturation of [NiFe]-hydrogenases in Escherichia coliLucia Forzi
Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, Karl von Frisch Strasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Biometals 20:565-78. 2007..in synthesis and attachment of these ligands to the iron atom, insertion of the Fe(CN)2CO group into the apo-hydrogenase, introduction of the nickel atom into the pre-formed active site and ensuring that the holoenzyme is correctly ..
- Hydrogenases and hydrogen photoproduction in oxygenic photosynthetic organismsMaria L Ghirardi
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 58:71-91. 2007..In these organisms, photosynthetic water splitting is functionally linked to H(2) production by the activity of hydrogenase enzymes...
- Requirement of nickel metabolism proteins HypA and HypB for full activity of both hydrogenase and urease in Helicobacter pyloriJ W Olson
Department of Microbiology, 813 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Mol Microbiol 39:176-82. 2001The nickel-containing enzymes hydrogenase and urease require accessory proteins in order to incorporate properly the nickel atom(s) into the active sites...
- Construction and characterization of ack deleted mutant of Clostridium tyrobutyricum for enhanced butyric acid and hydrogen productionXiaoguang Liu
Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, The Ohio State University, 140 West 19th Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biotechnol Prog 22:1265-75. 2006..that the AK activity in PAK-Em decreased by approximately 50%; meanwhile, phosphotransacetylase (PTA) and hydrogenase activities each increased by approximately 40%...
- Hitherto unknown [Fe-Fe]-hydrogenase gene diversity in anaerobes and anoxic enrichments from a moderately acidic fenOliver Schmidt
Department of Ecological Microbiology, University of Bayreuth, 95445 Bayreuth, Germany
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:2027-31. 2010..Comparative analysis of [Fe-Fe]-hydrogenase and 16S rRNA gene-based phylogenies indicated the presence of homologous multiple hydrogenases per organism and ..
- X-ray crystallographic and computational studies of the O2-tolerant [NiFe]-hydrogenase 1 from Escherichia coliAnne Volbeda
Metalloproteins Unit, Institut de Biologie Structurale J P Ebel, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique l Université Joseph Fourier, 41 rue Jules Horowitz, 38027 Grenoble, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:5305-10. 2012The crystal structure of the membrane-bound O(2)-tolerant [NiFe]-hydrogenase 1 from Escherichia coli (EcHyd-1) has been solved in three different states: as-isolated, H(2)-reduced, and chemically oxidized...
- The Escherichia coli metal-binding chaperone SlyD interacts with the large subunit of [NiFe]-hydrogenase 3Kim C Chan Chung
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
FEBS Lett 585:291-4. 2011The multi-step biosynthesis of the [NiFe]-hydrogenase enzyme involves a variety of accessory proteins...
- Alcohol dehydrogenase and hydrogenase transcript fluctuations during a day-night cycle in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii: the role of anoxiaLarisa Angela Swirsky Whitney
Department of Crop Plant Biology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
New Phytol 190:488-98. 2011..The cell cycle and light-dark cycles are equally important elements in the regulatory network modulating the anaerobic response in Chlamydomonas...
- Molecular characterization of structural genes coding for a membrane bound hydrogenase in Methylococcus capsulatus (Bath)R Csáki
Department of Biotechnology, University of Szeged, Hungary
FEMS Microbiol Lett 205:203-7. 2001The first gene cluster encoding for a membrane bound [NiFe] hydrogenase from a methanotroph, Methylococcus capsulatus (Bath), was cloned and sequenced...
- A unique iron-sulfur cluster is crucial for oxygen tolerance of a [NiFe]-hydrogenaseTobias Goris
Institut für Biologie Mikrobiologie, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
Nat Chem Biol 7:310-8. 2011..The O(2)-tolerant membrane-bound [NiFe]-hydrogenase of Ralstonia eutropha H16 is one of the few examples that can perform H(2) uptake in the presence of ambient O(..
- Sodium ion-dependent hydrogen production in Acidaminococcus fermentansU Härtel
Laboratorium für Mikrobiologie, Fachbereich Biologie, Philipps Universitat, D 35032 Marburg, Germany
Arch Microbiol 166:350-6. 1996..The acetate/butyrate ratio thereby increased from 2.0 at 1 mM Na+ to 3.0 at 100 mM Na+. A hydrogenase and an NADH dehydrogenase, both of which were detected in membrane fractions, are components of a model in ..
- Mechanism of proton transfer in [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Clostridium pasteurianumAdam J Cornish
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan 48824 1319, USA
J Biol Chem 286:38341-7. 2011..Previously, structural characterization of [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Clostridium pasteurianum indicated a potential proton transport pathway involving four residues (Cys-299, ..
- A model system for [NiFe] hydrogenase maturation studies: Purification of an active site-containing hydrogenase large subunit without small subunitGordon Winter
Institut für Biologie Mikrobiologie, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Chausseestr 117, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
FEBS Lett 579:4292-6. 2005The large subunit HoxC of the H2-sensing [NiFe] hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha was purified without its small subunit. Two forms of HoxC were identified. Both forms contained iron but only substoichiometric amounts of nickel...
- Photosynthetic electron partitioning between [FeFe]-hydrogenase and ferredoxin:NADP+-oxidoreductase (FNR) enzymes in vitroIftach Yacoby
Center for Biomedical Engineering NE47 379, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 4307, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:9396-401. 2011Photosynthetic water splitting, coupled to hydrogenase-catalyzed hydrogen production, is considered a promising clean, renewable source of energy...
- Growth- and substrate-dependent transcription of formate dehydrogenase and hydrogenase coding genes in Syntrophobacter fumaroxidans and Methanospirillum hungateiPetra Worm
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, Dreijenplein 10, 6703 HB Wageningen, The Netherlands
Microbiology 157:280-9. 2011..Our results strongly suggest that in syntrophically grown S. fumaroxidans cells, the [FeFe]-hydrogenase (encoded by Sfum_844-46), FDH1 (Sfum_2703-06) and Hox (Sfum_2713-16) may confurcate electrons from NADH and ..
- Control of hydrogen photoproduction by the proton gradient generated by cyclic electron flow in Chlamydomonas reinhardtiiDimitri Tolleter
Commissariat à l Énergie Atomique et aux Énergies Alternatives, Direction des Sciences du Vivant, Institut de Biologie Environementale et de Biotechnologie, Laboratoire de Bioénergétique et Biotechnologie des Bactéries et Microalgues, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique Cadarache, 13108 Saint Paul Lez Durance, France
Plant Cell 23:2619-30. 2011..microalgae results from a connection between the photosynthetic electron transport chain and a plastidial hydrogenase. Algal H₂ production is a transitory phenomenon under most natural conditions, often viewed as a safety valve ..
- Heterologous expression of Alteromonas macleodii and Thiocapsa roseopersicina [NiFe] hydrogenases in Escherichia coliP D Weyman
Department of Synthetic Biology and Bioenergy, The J Craig Venter Institute, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Microbiology 157:1363-74. 2011HynSL from Alteromonas macleodii 'deep ecotype' (AltDE) is an oxygen-tolerant and thermostable [NiFe] hydrogenase. Its two structural genes (hynSL), encoding small and large hydrogenase subunits, are surrounded by eight genes (hynD, hupH ..
- The CO and CN(-) ligands to the active site Fe in [NiFe]-hydrogenase of Escherichia coli have different metabolic originsLucia Forzi
Max Planck Institut fur terrestrische Mikrobiologie, Karl von Frisch Str, Marburg, Germany
FEBS Lett 581:3317-21. 2007..To determine their metabolic origin, [NiFe]-hydrogenase-2 was isolated from Escherichia coli grown in the presence of L-[ureido-(13)C]citrulline, purified and analyzed ..
- Interactions of the Escherichia coli hydrogenase biosynthetic proteins: HybG complex formationGareth Butland
Banting and Best Department of Medical Research, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont, Canada M5G 1L6
FEBS Lett 580:677-81. 2006Assembly of the active site of the [NiFe]-hydrogenase enzymes involves a multi-step pathway and the coordinated activity of many accessory proteins...
- Engineering hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus to overproduce its cytoplasmic [NiFe]-hydrogenaseSanjeev K Chandrayan
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30602, USA
J Biol Chem 287:3257-64. 2012The cytoplasmic hydrogenase (SHI) of the hyperthermophilic archaeon Pyrococcus furiosus is an NADP(H)-dependent heterotetrameric enzyme that contains a nickel-iron catalytic site, flavin, and six iron-sulfur clusters...
- The hydrogenases and formate dehydrogenases of Escherichia coliG Sawers
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie der Universitat Munchen, Germany
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 66:57-88. 1994Escherichia coli has the capacity to synthesise three distinct formate dehydrogenase isoenzymes and three hydrogenase isoenzymes...
- Role of the NiFe hydrogenase Hya in oxidative stress defense in Geobacter sulfurreducensPier Luc Tremblay
Department of Microbiology, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, Massachusetts, USA
J Bacteriol 194:2248-53. 2012..Hyb, a periplasmically oriented membrane-bound NiFe hydrogenase, is essential for hydrogen-dependent growth. The functions of the three other hydrogenases are unknown...
- Metabolic deficiences revealed in the biotechnologically important model bacterium Escherichia coli BL21(DE3)Constanze Pinske
Institute for Microbiology, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e22830. 2011..hydrogen evolution was due solely to reduced activity of the formate dehydrogenase (FDH-H), not the hydrogenase component...
- The [NiFeSe] hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio vulgaris Hildenborough is a bacterial lipoprotein lacking a typical lipoprotein signal peptideFilipa M A Valente
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
FEBS Lett 581:3341-4. 2007Desulfovibrio vulgaris Hildenborough has a membrane-bound [NiFeSe] hydrogenase whose mode of membrane association was unknown since it is constituted by two hydrophilic subunits...
- Metal binding activity of the Escherichia coli hydrogenase maturation factor HypBMichael R Leach
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 3H6
Biochemistry 44:12229-38. 2005The formation of the [NiFe] metallocenter of Escherichia coli hydrogenase 3 requires the participation of proteins encoded by the hydrogenase pleiotropy operon hypABCDEF...
- Electrochemical kinetic investigations of the reactions of [FeFe]-hydrogenases with carbon monoxide and oxygen: comparing the importance of gas tunnels and active-site electronic/redox effectsGabrielle Goldet
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QR, United Kingdom
J Am Chem Soc 131:14979-89. 2009....
- Structural and biological analysis of the metal sites of Escherichia coli hydrogenase accessory protein HypBAlistair V Dias
Department of Chemistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Biochemistry 47:11981-91. 2008The [NiFe]-hydrogenase protein produced by many types of bacteria contains a dinuclear metal center that is required for enzymatic activity...
- O2 reactions at the six-iron active site (H-cluster) in [FeFe]-hydrogenaseCamilla Lambertz
Lehrstuhl für Biochemie der Pflanzen, AG Photobiotechnologie, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, 44780 Bochum, Germany
J Biol Chem 286:40614-23. 2011..This mechanism suggests that blocking of ROS diffusion paths and/or altering the redox potential of the [4Fe4S] cubane by genetic engineering may yield improved O(2) tolerance in [FeFe]-hydrogenase.
- Development of a cell-free system reveals an oxygen-labile step in the maturation of [NiFe]-hydrogenase 2 of Escherichia coliBasem Soboh
Institute for Mikrobiologie, Martin Luther University Halle Wittenberg, Halle Saale, Germany
FEBS Lett 584:4109-14. 2010..of hydrogenases 1, 2 and 3 we could reconstitute in vitro under strictly anaerobic conditions 10-15% of the hydrogenase activity present in wild type Escherichia coli extracts...
- Biodiversity of uptake hydrogenase systems from legume endosymbiotic bacteriaB Brito
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, E T S Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Biochem Soc Trans 33:33-5. 2005..Characterization of hydrogenase gene clusters in strains belonging to Rhizobium, Bradyrhizobium and Azorhizobium reveals a similar overall ..
- Crystallographic and FTIR spectroscopic evidence of changes in Fe coordination upon reduction of the active site of the Fe-only hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricansY Nicolet
Laboratoire de Cristallographie et Cristallogenese des Proteines, Institut de Biologie Structurale, J P Ebel CEA CNRS, 41, rue Jules Horowitz, 38027 Grenoble, Cedex 1, France
J Am Chem Soc 123:1596-601. 2001..FTIR experiments performed on the Fe-only hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricans indicate that upon reduction of the active oxidized form, there is a major ..
- Oxygen-tolerant [NiFe]-hydrogenases: the individual and collective importance of supernumerary cysteines at the proximal Fe-S clusterMichael J Lukey
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QR, UK
J Am Chem Soc 133:16881-92. 2011..Site-directed mutagenesis has been carried out on Escherichia coli hydrogenase-1 to substitute these cysteines (C19 and C120) individually and collectively for glycines, and the effects of ..
- A bacterial electron-bifurcating hydrogenaseKai Schuchmann
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Bioenergetics, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt Main, Max von Laue Strasse 9, 60438 Frankfurt, Germany
J Biol Chem 287:31165-71. 2012..We have purified a multimeric [FeFe]-hydrogenase from A...
- How oxygen attacks [FeFe] hydrogenases from photosynthetic organismsSven T Stripp
Lehrstuhl Biochemie der Pflanzen, AG Photobiotechnologie, Ruhr Universitat Bochum, Universitatsstrasse 150, 44801 Bochum, Germany
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:17331-6. 2009Green algae such as Chlamydomonas reinhardtii synthesize an [FeFe] hydrogenase that is highly active in hydrogen evolution...
- Relating diffusion along the substrate tunnel and oxygen sensitivity in hydrogenasePierre Pol Liebgott
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Propre de Recherche 9036, Unite de Bioenergetique et Ingenierie des Proteines, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 88, Institut de Microbiologie de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Nat Chem Biol 6:63-70. 2010..protein film voltammetry, we determined and then compared the rates of inhibition by CO and O2 in ten NiFe hydrogenase mutants and two FeFe hydrogenases...
- A new activity for an old enzyme: Escherichia coli bacterial alkaline phosphatase is a phosphite-dependent hydrogenaseKechao Yang
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, B103 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:7919-24. 2004..Thus, BAP is a unique Pt-dependent, H2-evolving hydrogenase. This reaction is unprecedented in both P and H biochemistry, and it is likely to involve direct transfer of ..
- Hydrogenases from methanogenic archaea, nickel, a novel cofactor, and H2 storageRudolf K Thauer
Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Annu Rev Biochem 79:507-36. 2010..NiFe]-hydrogenases, namely energy-converting [NiFe]-hydrogenases, heterodisulfide reductase-associated [NiFe]-hydrogenase or methanophenazine-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase, and F(420)-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase...
- Requirement of hydD, hydE, hypC and hypE genes for hydrogenase activity in Helicobacter pyloriStephane Benoit
Department of Microbiology, 812 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Microb Pathog 36:153-7. 2004Helicobacter pylori possesses a membrane-bound, nickel containing, hydrogen uptake hydrogenase enzyme; its synthesis requires structural as well as accessory proteins, the latter needed for the complete maturation of the enzyme...
- Crystal structures of [NiFe] hydrogenase maturation proteins HypC, HypD, and HypE: insights into cyanation reaction by thiol redox signalingSatoshi Watanabe
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Mol Cell 27:29-40. 2007NiFe] hydrogenase maturation proteins HypC, HypD, and HypE catalyze the insertion and cyanation of the iron center of [NiFe] hydrogenases by an unknown mechanism...
- Characterization of the oxygen tolerance of a hydrogenase linked to a carbon monoxide oxidation pathway in Rubrivivax gelatinosusPin Ching Maness
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colorado 80401 3393, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:2633-6. 2002A hydrogenase linked to the carbon monoxide oxidation pathway in Rubrivivax gelatinosus displays tolerance to O2...
- Introduction of methionines in the gas channel makes [NiFe] hydrogenase aero-tolerantSebastien Dementin
CNRS, Bioenergetique et Ingenierie des Proteines, IMM, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Am Chem Soc 131:10156-64. 2009..Improving hydrogenase O(2) tolerance is therefore a major contemporary challenge to allow the implementation of a sustainable ..
- Stepwise [FeFe]-hydrogenase H-cluster assembly revealed in the structure of HydA(DeltaEFG)David W Mulder
Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
Nature 465:248-51. 2010..The catalytic core of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase (HydA), termed the H-cluster, exists as a [4Fe-4S] subcluster linked by a cysteine thiolate to a modified 2Fe ..
- Optimization of metabolic capacity and flux through environmental cues to maximize hydrogen production by the cyanobacterium "Arthrospira (Spirulina) maxima"Gennady Ananyev
Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, Hoyt Laboratory, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:6102-13. 2008..by bacteria: (i) anaerobic H(2) production in the dark from whole cells catalyzed by a bidirectional [NiFe] hydrogenase is demonstrated to occur in two temporal phases involving two distinct metabolic processes that are linked to ..
- Theoretical study of dioxygen induced inhibition of [FeFe]-hydrogenaseMartin T Stiebritz
Laboratorium fur Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10 8093 Zürich, Switzerland
Inorg Chem 48:7127-40. 2009..Out of this group, [FeFe]-hydrogenase shows the highest activity for hydrogen production which is, therefore, of great interest in the field of ..
- Metabolic engineering for solvent productivity by downregulation of the hydrogenase gene cluster hupCBA in Clostridium saccharoperbutylacetonicum strain N1-4Shun ichi Nakayama
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Hakozaki 6 10 1, Fukuoka, 812 8581, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 78:483-93. 2008..We have manipulated the activity level of a hydrogenase for this purpose because hydrogen and solvent production are closely correlated with each other...
- Unusual ligand structure in Ni-Fe active center and an additional Mg site in hydrogenase revealed by high resolution X-ray structure analysisY Higuchi
Division of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Japan
Structure 5:1671-80. 1997The hydrogenase of Desulfovibrio sp. catalyzes the reversible oxidoreduction of molecular hydrogen, in conjunction with a specific electron acceptor, cytochrome c3...
- GTP hydrolysis by HypB is essential for nickel insertion into hydrogenases of Escherichia coliT Maier
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie, Universitat Munchen, Germany
Eur J Biochem 230:133-8. 1995..BKN117 did not display hydrogenase activity due to a loss of nickel incorporation into the large subunit...
- Characterization of Helicobacter pylori nickel metabolism accessory proteins needed for maturation of both urease and hydrogenaseNalini Mehta
Department of Microbiology, 527 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
J Bacteriol 185:726-34. 2003..demonstrated that two accessory proteins, HypA and HypB, play a role in nickel-dependent maturation of both hydrogenase and urease in Helicobacter pylori. Here, the two proteins were purified and characterized...
- Gene products of the hupGHIJ operon are involved in maturation of the iron-sulfur subunit of the [NiFe] hydrogenase from Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciaeHamid Manyani
Laboratorio de Microbiologia, Departamento de Biotecnologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Ciudad Universitaria s n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 187:7018-26. 2005In the present study, we investigate the functions of the hupGHIJ operon in the synthesis of an active [NiFe] hydrogenase in the legume endosymbiont Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae...
- The complex between hydrogenase-maturation proteins HypC and HypD is an intermediate in the supply of cyanide to the active site iron of [NiFe]-hydrogenasesMelanie Blokesch
Department I der Fakultät für Biologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Maria Ward Strasse 1a, D 80638 Munich, Germany
J Mol Biol 344:155-67. 2004..In the absence of carbamoylphosphate, cells accumulate a complex of two hydrogenase maturation proteins, namely HypC and HypD for the synthesis of hydrogenase 3...
- [NiFe]-hydrogenases of Ralstonia eutropha H16: modular enzymes for oxygen-tolerant biological hydrogen oxidationTanja Burgdorf
Institut fur Biologie, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 10:181-96. 2005..it produces three distinct [NiFe]-hydrogenases that each serve unique physiological roles: a membrane-bound hydrogenase (MBH) coupled to the respiratory chain, a cytoplasmic, soluble hydrogenase (SH) able to generate reducing ..
- Selenium is involved in regulation of periplasmic hydrogenase gene expression in Desulfovibrio vulgaris HildenboroughFilipa M A Valente
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Apt 127, 2781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
J Bacteriol 188:3228-35. 2006..which led to a strong repression of the [FeFe] and [NiFe]1 hydrogenases and a strong increase in the [NiFeSe] hydrogenase that is not detected in the absence of Se...
- Transcriptional regulation in response to oxygen and nitrate of the operons encoding the [NiFe] hydrogenases 1 and 2 of Escherichia coliD J Richard
Department of Biochemistry, University of Dundee, Tayside, UK
Microbiology 145:2903-12. 1999..The hydrogenase 1 and hydrogenase 2 enzymes are encoded by the polycistronic hyaABCDEF and hybOABCDEFG operons, respectively...
- Mechanism of regulation of the formate-hydrogenlyase pathway by oxygen, nitrate, and pH: definition of the formate regulonR Rossmann
Lehrstuhl für Mikrobiologie der Universität, Munchen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 5:2807-14. 1991....
- A cell-free microtiter plate screen for improved [FeFe] hydrogenasesJames A Stapleton
Department of Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10554. 2010FeFe] hydrogenase enzymes catalyze the production and dissociation of H(2), a potential renewable fuel...
- A multisubunit membrane-bound [NiFe] hydrogenase and an NADH-dependent Fe-only hydrogenase in the fermenting bacterium Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensisBasem Soboh
Max Planck Institut fur terrestrische Mikrobiologie, Karl von Frisch Strasse, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Microbiology 150:2451-63. 2004..A unique combination of hydrogenases, a ferredoxin-dependent [NiFe] hydrogenase and an NADH-dependent Fe-only hydrogenase, were found to be responsible for H(2) formation in this organism...
- Selective release and function of one of the two FMN groups in the cytoplasmic NAD+-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutrophaEddy van der Linden
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Biochemistry, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Biochem 271:801-8. 2004The soluble, cytoplasmic NAD+-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha is a heterotetrameric enzyme (HoxFUYH) and contains two FMN groups...
- Photobiological hydrogen-producing systemsMaria Lucia Ghirardi
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1617 Cole Blvd, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Chem Soc Rev 38:52-61. 2009....
- Hydrogenase-3 contributes to anaerobic acid resistance of Escherichia coliKen Noguchi
Department of Biology, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10132. 2010..Because H(2) production involves consumption of 2H(+), hydrogenase expression is likely to involve pH response and regulation. Hydrogenase consumption of protons in E...
- Intermediates in the catalytic cycle of [NiFe] hydrogenase: functional spectroscopy of the active siteMaria Eirini Pandelia
Max Planck Institut fur Bioanorganische Chemie, Stiftstrasse 34 36, 45470, Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Chemphyschem 11:1127-40. 2010The [NiFe] hydrogenase from the anaerobic sulphate reducing bacterium Desulfovibrio vulgaris Miyazaki F is an excellent model for constructing a mechanism for the function of the so-called 'oxygen-sensitive' hydrogenases...
- The [Fe-Fe]-hydrogenase maturation protein HydF from Thermotoga maritima is a GTPase with an iron-sulfur clusterXavier Brazzolotto
Laboratoire de Chimie et Biochimie des Centres Redox Biologiques, UMR Université Joseph Fourier CNRS Commissariat à l Energie Atomique No 5047, Grenoble, France
J Biol Chem 281:769-74. 2006..HYSCORE spectroscopy experiments were carried out to determine the nature of the fourth ligand of the cluster, and its exchangeability was demonstrated with the formation of a [4Fe-4S]-imidazole complex...
- The soluble [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha contains four cyanides in its active site, one of which is responsible for the insensitivity towards oxygenEddy van der Linden
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Biochemistry, University of Amsterdam, Plantage Muidergracht 12, 1018 TV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biol Inorg Chem 9:616-26. 2004Infrared spectra of (15)N-enriched preparations of the soluble cytoplasmic NAD(+)-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha are presented...
- Quantum refinement of [FeFe] hydrogenase indicates a dithiomethylamine ligandUlf Ryde
Theoretical Chemistry, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
J Am Chem Soc 132:4512-3. 2010..Thereby, we obtain structures that are an ideal compromise between DFT and crystallography...
- A unifying structural and electronic concept for Hmd and [FeFe] hydrogenase active sitesMartin T Stiebritz
Laboratorium fur Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Inorg Chem 49:5818-23. 2010..iron center of Hmd functions in a first-shell ligand environment resembling the reacting iron atom in [FeFe] hydrogenase and vice versa...
- Light-driven hydrogen production by a hybrid complex of a [NiFe]-hydrogenase and the cyanobacterial photosystem IMasaki Ihara
Department of Bioengineering, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta, Yokohama, Japan
Photochem Photobiol 82:676-82. 2006..In this study we engineered a 'hard-wired' protein complex consisting of a hydrogenase and photosystem I (hydrogenase-PSI complex) as a direct light-to-hydrogen conversion system...
- Structural and oxidation-state changes at its nonstandard Ni-Fe site during activation of the NAD-reducing hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha detected by X-ray absorption, EPR, and FTIR spectroscopyTanja Burgdorf
Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Mikrobiologie, Chausseestr 117, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 127:576-92. 2005Structure and oxidation state of the Ni-Fe cofactor of the NAD-reducing soluble hydrogenase (SH) from Ralstonia eutropha were studied employing X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) at the Ni K-edge, EPR, and FTIR spectroscopy...
- Synthesis of the 2Fe subcluster of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase H cluster on the HydF scaffoldEric M Shepard
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:10448-53. 2010The organometallic H cluster at the active site of [FeFe]-hydrogenase consists of a 2Fe subcluster coordinated by cyanide, carbon monoxide, and a nonprotein dithiolate bridged to a [4Fe-4S] cluster via a cysteinate ligand...
- Rhizobium leguminosarum hupE encodes a nickel transporter required for hydrogenase activityBelen Brito
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 192:925-35. 2010..we further characterize the nickel transport capacity of HupE and that of the translated product of hupE2, a hydrogenase-unlinked gene identified in the R. leguminosarum genome...
- Respiratory hydrogen use by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium is essential for virulenceR J Maier
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
Infect Immun 72:6294-9. 2004..enteric pathogen salmonella, like other enteric bacteria, contains three putative membrane-associated H2-using hydrogenase enzymes...
- Wiring an [FeFe]-hydrogenase with photosystem I for light-induced hydrogen productionCarolyn E Lubner
Department of Chemistry, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biochemistry 49:10264-6. 2010..Photosystem I (PS I) and an [FeFe]-hydrogenase (H(2)ase) serve as the test bed for this new technology...
- Genetic and physiological characterization of new Escherichia coli mutants impaired in hydrogenase activityL F Wu
Biochimie 68:167-79. 1986..Three mutants were chosen for further analysis: they lacked hydrogenase (hydrogen: benzyl viologen oxidoreductase) activity, but produced normal levels of fumarate reductase activity ..
- A radical solution for the biosynthesis of the H-cluster of hydrogenaseJohn W Peters
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
FEBS Lett 580:363-7. 2006..Recently, it was discovered that radical S-adenosylmethionine enzymes were involved in active hydrogenase expression...
- The difference a Se makes? Oxygen-tolerant hydrogen production by the [NiFeSe]-hydrogenase from Desulfomicrobium baculatumAlison Parkin
Inorganic Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, OX1 3QR, England
J Am Chem Soc 130:13410-6. 2008Protein film voltammetry studies of the [NiFeSe]-hydrogenase from Desulfomicrobium baculatum show it to be a highly efficient H2 cycling catalyst...
- X-Ray Raman and Vibrational Mossbauer of MetalloproteinsSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three of the enzyme active sites (NiFe hydrogenase, CO dehydrogenase, and acetyl-CoA synthase) contain combinations of Fe and Ni...
- X-RAY ABSORPTION SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOENZYMESRobert Scott; Fiscal Year: 1993..nickel-containing enzymes, including jackbean urease, Klebsiella aerogenes urease, Desulfovibrio gigas (NiFe) hydrogenase, D...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- DEVELOPMENTAL GENOME REARRANGEMENT OF NIF GENESJames Golden; Fiscal Year: 2002..The excision of these elements is required for nitrogen fixation and uptake hydrogenase activity...
- SOFT X-RAY SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOPROTEINSSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 1992..in the dioxygen-reducing enzyme cytochrome oxidase, and 3) the nickel and iron sites of the membrane bound hydrogenase from Azotobacter vinelandii...
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseStephen P Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2010..of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual'active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2009..of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual' active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..characterization of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual' active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- MODEL STUDIES OF ACETYL COENZYME A SYNTHASECharles Riordan; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. the catalytic sites in [NiFe] hydrogenase, sulfite reductase, cytochrome c oxidase, [CuZn] superoxide dismutase and the nitrogenase cofactor...
- X-Ray Raman and Vibrational Mossbauer of MetalloproteinsSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Three of the enzyme active sites (NiFe hydrogenase, CO dehydrogenase, and acetyl-CoA synthase) contain combinations of Fe and Ni...