Genomes and Genes
Summary: An enzyme found in bacteria. It catalyzes the reduction of ferredoxin and other substances in the presence of molecular hydrogen and is involved in the electron transport of bacterial photosynthesis. EC 220.127.116.11.
Publications272 found, 100 shown here
- Combined spectroscopic/computational study of binuclear Fe(I)-Fe(I) complexes: implications for the fully-reduced active-site cluster of Fe-only hydrogenasesAdam T Fiedler
University of Wisconsin-Madison, Department of Chemistry, 1101 West University Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53706
Inorg Chem 44:1794-809. 2005....
- Occurrence, classification, and biological function of hydrogenases: an overviewPaulette M Vignais
CEA Grenoble, , UMR CEA/CNRS/UJF 5092, Institut de Recherches en Technologies et Sciences pour le Vivant (iRTSV, 17 rue des Martyrs, 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9, France
Chem Rev 107:4206-72. 2007
- Heterologous expression and maturation of an NADP-dependent [NiFe]-hydrogenase: a key enzyme in biofuel productionJunsong Sun
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10526. 2010..Microbial hydrogen production is catalyzed by hydrogenase, an extremely complex, air-sensitive enzyme that utilizes a binuclear nickel-iron [NiFe] catalytic site...
- Identification of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase responsible for hydrogen generation in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum and demonstration of increased ethanol yield via hydrogenase knockoutA Joe Shaw
Dartmouth College, Thayer School of Engineering, 8000 Cummings Hall, Hanover, NH 03755, USA
J Bacteriol 191:6457-64. 2009Three putative hydrogenase enzyme systems in Thermoanaerobacterium saccharolyticum were investigated at the genetic, mRNA, enzymatic, and phenotypic levels...
- Molecular hydrogen as an energy source for Helicobacter pyloriJonathan W Olson
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Science 298:1788-90. 2002..pylori. Hydrogenase activity in H. pylori is constitutive but increased fivefold upon incubation with hydrogen...
- Crystal structure of formate dehydrogenase H: catalysis involving Mo, molybdopterin, selenocysteine, and an Fe4S4 clusterJ C Boyington
Laboratory of Molecular Structure, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health NIH, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
Science 275:1305-8. 1997..These structures suggest a reaction mechanism that directly involves SeCys140 and His141 in proton abstraction and the molybdenum, molybdopterin, Lys44, and the Fe4S4 cluster in electron transfer...
- Dithiomethylether as a ligand in the hydrogenase h-clusterArti S Pandey
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:4533-40. 2008An X-ray crystallographic refinement of the H-cluster of [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Clostridium pasteurianum has been carried out to close-to atomic resolution and is the highest resolution [FeFe]-hydrogenase presented to date. The 1...
- Hydrogenases and hydrogen photoproduction in oxygenic photosynthetic organismsMaria L Ghirardi
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Annu Rev Plant Biol 58:71-91. 2007..In these organisms, photosynthetic water splitting is functionally linked to H(2) production by the activity of hydrogenase enzymes...
- Maturation of [NiFe]-hydrogenases in Escherichia coliLucia Forzi
Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, Karl von Frisch Strasse, 35043 Marburg, Germany
Biometals 20:565-78. 2007..in synthesis and attachment of these ligands to the iron atom, insertion of the Fe(CN)2CO group into the apo-hydrogenase, introduction of the nickel atom into the pre-formed active site and ensuring that the holoenzyme is correctly ..
- Investigating and exploiting the electrocatalytic properties of hydrogenasesKylie A Vincent
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QR, United Kingdom
Chem Rev 107:4366-413. 2007
- Introduction of methionines in the gas channel makes [NiFe] hydrogenase aero-tolerantSebastien Dementin
CNRS, Bioenergetique et Ingenierie des Proteines, IMM, 31 Chemin Joseph Aiguier, 13402 Marseille Cedex 20, France
J Am Chem Soc 131:10156-64. 2009..Improving hydrogenase O(2) tolerance is therefore a major contemporary challenge to allow the implementation of a sustainable ..
- Metabolic engineering for solvent productivity by downregulation of the hydrogenase gene cluster hupCBA in Clostridium saccharoperbutylacetonicum strain N1-4Shun ichi Nakayama
Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Faculty of Agriculture, Kyushu University, Hakozaki 6 10 1, Fukuoka, 812 8581, Japan
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 78:483-93. 2008..We have manipulated the activity level of a hydrogenase for this purpose because hydrogen and solvent production are closely correlated with each other...
- Optimization of metabolic capacity and flux through environmental cues to maximize hydrogen production by the cyanobacterium "Arthrospira (Spirulina) maxima"Gennady Ananyev
Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, Hoyt Laboratory, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:6102-13. 2008..by bacteria: (i) anaerobic H(2) production in the dark from whole cells catalyzed by a bidirectional [NiFe] hydrogenase is demonstrated to occur in two temporal phases involving two distinct metabolic processes that are linked to ..
- Flexibility in anaerobic metabolism as revealed in a mutant of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii lacking hydrogenase activityAlexandra Dubini
Environmental Science and Engineering Division, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado 80401, USA
J Biol Chem 284:7201-13. 2009..b>Hydrogenase activity is an important component of this metabolism, and we have compared metabolic and regulatory responses ..
- A new activity for an old enzyme: Escherichia coli bacterial alkaline phosphatase is a phosphite-dependent hydrogenaseKechao Yang
Department of Microbiology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, B103 Chemical and Life Sciences Laboratory, 601 South Goodwin Avenue, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:7919-24. 2004..Thus, BAP is a unique Pt-dependent, H2-evolving hydrogenase. This reaction is unprecedented in both P and H biochemistry, and it is likely to involve direct transfer of ..
- Theoretical study of dioxygen induced inhibition of [FeFe]-hydrogenaseMartin T Stiebritz
Laboratorium fur Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10 8093 Zürich, Switzerland
Inorg Chem 48:7127-40. 2009..Out of this group, [FeFe]-hydrogenase shows the highest activity for hydrogen production which is, therefore, of great interest in the field of ..
- Stepwise [FeFe]-hydrogenase H-cluster assembly revealed in the structure of HydA(DeltaEFG)David W Mulder
Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
Nature 465:248-51. 2010..The catalytic core of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase (HydA), termed the H-cluster, exists as a [4Fe-4S] subcluster linked by a cysteine thiolate to a modified 2Fe ..
- Characterization of the oxygen tolerance of a hydrogenase linked to a carbon monoxide oxidation pathway in Rubrivivax gelatinosusPin Ching Maness
The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, Colorado 80401 3393, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:2633-6. 2002A hydrogenase linked to the carbon monoxide oxidation pathway in Rubrivivax gelatinosus displays tolerance to O2...
- Requirement of hydD, hydE, hypC and hypE genes for hydrogenase activity in Helicobacter pyloriStephane Benoit
Department of Microbiology, 812 Biological Sciences Building, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Microb Pathog 36:153-7. 2004Helicobacter pylori possesses a membrane-bound, nickel containing, hydrogen uptake hydrogenase enzyme; its synthesis requires structural as well as accessory proteins, the latter needed for the complete maturation of the enzyme...
- Crystal structures of [NiFe] hydrogenase maturation proteins HypC, HypD, and HypE: insights into cyanation reaction by thiol redox signalingSatoshi Watanabe
Department of Chemistry, Graduate School of Science, Kyoto University, Sakyo ku, Kyoto 606 8502, Japan
Mol Cell 27:29-40. 2007NiFe] hydrogenase maturation proteins HypC, HypD, and HypE catalyze the insertion and cyanation of the iron center of [NiFe] hydrogenases by an unknown mechanism...
- Hydrogenases from methanogenic archaea, nickel, a novel cofactor, and H2 storageRudolf K Thauer
Max Planck Institute for Terrestrial Microbiology, D 35043 Marburg, Germany
Annu Rev Biochem 79:507-36. 2010..NiFe]-hydrogenases, namely energy-converting [NiFe]-hydrogenases, heterodisulfide reductase-associated [NiFe]-hydrogenase or methanophenazine-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase, and F(420)-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase...
- Transcriptional regulation in response to oxygen and nitrate of the operons encoding the [NiFe] hydrogenases 1 and 2 of Escherichia coliD J Richard
Department of Biochemistry, University of Dundee, Tayside, UK
Microbiology 145:2903-12. 1999..The hydrogenase 1 and hydrogenase 2 enzymes are encoded by the polycistronic hyaABCDEF and hybOABCDEFG operons, respectively...
- The complex between hydrogenase-maturation proteins HypC and HypD is an intermediate in the supply of cyanide to the active site iron of [NiFe]-hydrogenasesMelanie Blokesch
Department I der Fakultät für Biologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Maria Ward Strasse 1a, D 80638 Munich, Germany
J Mol Biol 344:155-67. 2004..In the absence of carbamoylphosphate, cells accumulate a complex of two hydrogenase maturation proteins, namely HypC and HypD for the synthesis of hydrogenase 3...
- [NiFe]-hydrogenases of Ralstonia eutropha H16: modular enzymes for oxygen-tolerant biological hydrogen oxidationTanja Burgdorf
, , Berlin, Germany
J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol 10:181-96. 2005..it produces three distinct [NiFe]-hydrogenases that each serve unique physiological roles: a membrane-bound hydrogenase (MBH) coupled to the respiratory chain, a cytoplasmic, soluble hydrogenase (SH) able to generate reducing ..
- HypF, a carbamoyl phosphate-converting enzyme involved in [NiFe] hydrogenase maturationAthanasios Paschos
Mikrobiologie, Department I der Fakultät für Biologie, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Maria Ward Strasse 1a, D 80638 Munich, Germany
J Biol Chem 277:49945-51. 2002..the derived amino acid sequence showed a full correlation of the resulting variants between their activity in hydrogenase maturation and the in vitro reactivity with carbamoyl phosphate...
- Selenium is involved in regulation of periplasmic hydrogenase gene expression in Desulfovibrio vulgaris HildenboroughFilipa M A Valente
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Apt 127, 2781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
J Bacteriol 188:3228-35. 2006..which led to a strong repression of the [FeFe] and [NiFe]1 hydrogenases and a strong increase in the [NiFeSe] hydrogenase that is not detected in the absence of Se...
- Gene products of the hupGHIJ operon are involved in maturation of the iron-sulfur subunit of the [NiFe] hydrogenase from Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciaeHamid Manyani
, , , , Ciudad Universitaria s/n, 28040 Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 187:7018-26. 2005In the present study, we investigate the functions of the hupGHIJ operon in the synthesis of an active [NiFe] hydrogenase in the legume endosymbiont Rhizobium leguminosarum bv. viciae...
- A multisubunit membrane-bound [NiFe] hydrogenase and an NADH-dependent Fe-only hydrogenase in the fermenting bacterium Thermoanaerobacter tengcongensisBasem Soboh
, Karl-von-Frisch-Strasse, D-35043 Marburg, Germany
Microbiology 150:2451-63. 2004..A unique combination of hydrogenases, a ferredoxin-dependent [NiFe] hydrogenase and an NADH-dependent Fe-only hydrogenase, were found to be responsible for H(2) formation in this organism...
- A cell-free microtiter plate screen for improved [FeFe] hydrogenasesJames A Stapleton
Department of Chemical Engineering, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10554. 2010FeFe] hydrogenase enzymes catalyze the production and dissociation of H(2), a potential renewable fuel...
- Mechanism of regulation of the formate-hydrogenlyase pathway by oxygen, nitrate, and pH: definition of the formate regulonR Rossmann
Lehrstuhl für Mikrobiologie der Universität, Munchen, Germany
Mol Microbiol 5:2807-14. 1991....
- Electron-transfer subunits of the NiFe hydrogenases in Thiocapsa roseopersicina BBSLívia S Palágyi-Mészáros
Department of Biotechnology, University of Szeged, Hungary
FEBS J 276:164-74. 2009..The operon of the membrane-associated hydrogenase, HynSL, has an unusual gene arrangement: between the genes coding for the large and small subunits, there are ..
- Light-driven hydrogen production by a hybrid complex of a [NiFe]-hydrogenase and the cyanobacterial photosystem IMasaki Ihara
Department of Bioengineering, Graduate School of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Nagatsuta, Yokohama, Japan
Photochem Photobiol 82:676-82. 2006..In this study we engineered a 'hard-wired' protein complex consisting of a hydrogenase and photosystem I (hydrogenase-PSI complex) as a direct light-to-hydrogen conversion system...
- The [Fe-Fe]-hydrogenase maturation protein HydF from Thermotoga maritima is a GTPase with an iron-sulfur clusterXavier Brazzolotto
, , Grenoble, France
J Biol Chem 281:769-74. 2006..HYSCORE spectroscopy experiments were carried out to determine the nature of the fourth ligand of the cluster, and its exchangeability was demonstrated with the formation of a [4Fe-4S]-imidazole complex...
- Respiratory hydrogen use by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium is essential for virulenceR J Maier
Department of Microbiology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602, USA
Infect Immun 72:6294-9. 2004..enteric pathogen salmonella, like other enteric bacteria, contains three putative membrane-associated H2-using hydrogenase enzymes...
- Chaperones specific for the membrane-bound [NiFe]-hydrogenase interact with the Tat signal peptide of the small subunit precursor in Ralstonia eutropha H16Torsten Schubert
Institut fur Biologie, Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Chausseestr 117, D 10115 Berlin, Germany
Mol Microbiol 66:453-67. 2007..this study, the role of the two accessory proteins HoxO and HoxQ in the maturation of the membrane-bound [NiFe]-hydrogenase (MBH) of Ralstonia eutropha H16 was investigated...
- Carbamoylphosphate serves as the source of CN(-), but not of the intrinsic CO in the active site of the regulatory [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutrophaOliver Lenz
Humboldt Universitat zu Berlin, Institut für Biologie Mikrobiologie, Chausseestrasse 117, Berlin, Germany
FEBS Lett 581:3322-6. 2007..To identify the metabolic origins of these ligands, the regulatory [NiFe] hydrogenase in conjunction with the indigenous Hyp maturation proteins of Ralstonia eutropha H16 were heterologously ..
- A radical solution for the biosynthesis of the H-cluster of hydrogenaseJohn W Peters
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
FEBS Lett 580:363-7. 2006..Recently, it was discovered that radical S-adenosylmethionine enzymes were involved in active hydrogenase expression...
- Structural and oxidation-state changes at its nonstandard Ni-Fe site during activation of the NAD-reducing hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha detected by X-ray absorption, EPR, and FTIR spectroscopyTanja Burgdorf
, Mikrobiologie, Chausseestr. 117, D-10115 Berlin, Germany
J Am Chem Soc 127:576-92. 2005Structure and oxidation state of the Ni-Fe cofactor of the NAD-reducing soluble hydrogenase (SH) from Ralstonia eutropha were studied employing X-ray absorption spectroscopy (XAS) at the Ni K-edge, EPR, and FTIR spectroscopy...
- Evidence for three distinct hydrogenase activities in Rhodospirillum rubrumP C Maness
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 57:751-6. 2001Inducer, inhibitor, and mutant studies on three hydrogenase activities of Rhodospirillum rubrum indicate that they are mediated by three distinct hydrogenase enzymes...
- Selective release and function of one of the two FMN groups in the cytoplasmic NAD+-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutrophaEddy van der Linden
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Biochemistry, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Eur J Biochem 271:801-8. 2004The soluble, cytoplasmic NAD+-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha is a heterotetrameric enzyme (HoxFUYH) and contains two FMN groups...
- The soluble [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha contains four cyanides in its active site, one of which is responsible for the insensitivity towards oxygenEddy van der Linden
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, Biochemistry, University of Amsterdam, Plantage Muidergracht 12, 1018 TV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biol Inorg Chem 9:616-26. 2004Infrared spectra of (15)N-enriched preparations of the soluble cytoplasmic NAD(+)-reducing [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha are presented...
- Photobiological hydrogen-producing systemsMaria Lucia Ghirardi
National Renewable Energy Laboratory, 1617 Cole Blvd, Golden, CO 80401, USA
Chem Soc Rev 38:52-61. 2009....
- A hydrogenase model system based on the sequence of cytochrome c: photochemical hydrogen evolution in aqueous mediaYohei Sano
Department of Applied Chemistry, Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University, Suita, Osaka 565 0871, Japan
Chem Commun (Camb) 47:8229-31. 2011..It is found that the diiron carbonyl complex works well as a catalyst for H(2) evolution. It has a TON of ∼80 over 2 h at pH 4.7 in the presence of a Ru-photosensitizer and ascorbate as a sacrificial reagent in aqueous media...
- Hydrogenase-3 contributes to anaerobic acid resistance of Escherichia coliKen Noguchi
Department of Biology, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, United States of America
PLoS ONE 5:e10132. 2010..Because H(2) production involves consumption of 2H(+), hydrogenase expression is likely to involve pH response and regulation. Hydrogenase consumption of protons in E...
- The hydrogenases and formate dehydrogenases of Escherichia coliG Sawers
Lehrstuhl fur Mikrobiologie der Universitat Munchen, Germany
Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 66:57-88. 1994Escherichia coli has the capacity to synthesise three distinct formate dehydrogenase isoenzymes and three hydrogenase isoenzymes...
- Intermediates in the catalytic cycle of [NiFe] hydrogenase: functional spectroscopy of the active siteMaria Eirini Pandelia
Max Planck Institut fur Bioanorganische Chemie, Stiftstrasse 34 36, 45470, Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany
Chemphyschem 11:1127-40. 2010The [NiFe] hydrogenase from the anaerobic sulphate reducing bacterium Desulfovibrio vulgaris Miyazaki F is an excellent model for constructing a mechanism for the function of the so-called 'oxygen-sensitive' hydrogenases...
- Genetic and physiological characterization of new Escherichia coli mutants impaired in hydrogenase activityL F Wu
Biochimie 68:167-79. 1986..Three mutants were chosen for further analysis: they lacked hydrogenase (hydrogen: benzyl viologen oxidoreductase) activity, but produced normal levels of fumarate reductase activity ..
- Synthesis of the 2Fe subcluster of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase H cluster on the HydF scaffoldEric M Shepard
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and the Astrobiology Biogeocatalysis Research Center, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT 59717, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:10448-53. 2010The organometallic H cluster at the active site of [FeFe]-hydrogenase consists of a 2Fe subcluster coordinated by cyanide, carbon monoxide, and a nonprotein dithiolate bridged to a [4Fe-4S] cluster via a cysteinate ligand...
- A unifying structural and electronic concept for Hmd and [FeFe] hydrogenase active sitesMartin T Stiebritz
Laboratorium fur Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zurich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, 8093 Zurich, Switzerland
Inorg Chem 49:5818-23. 2010..iron center of Hmd functions in a first-shell ligand environment resembling the reacting iron atom in [FeFe] hydrogenase and vice versa...
- Density functional theory calculations on the mononuclear non-heme iron active site of Hmd hydrogenase: role of the internal ligands in tuning external ligand binding and driving H2 heterolysisAbhishek Dey
Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science, 2A Raja S C Mullick Road, Kolkata, India 700032
J Am Chem Soc 132:13892-901. 2010DFT calculations on active-site models of the non-heme Fe site of Hmd hydrogenase are reported. Binding of several biologically relevant ligands (e.g...
- Growth- and substrate-dependent transcription of formate dehydrogenase and hydrogenase coding genes in Syntrophobacter fumaroxidans and Methanospirillum hungateiPetra Worm
Laboratory of Microbiology, Wageningen University, Dreijenplein 10, 6703 HB Wageningen, The Netherlands
Microbiology 157:280-9. 2011..Our results strongly suggest that in syntrophically grown S. fumaroxidans cells, the [FeFe]-hydrogenase (encoded by Sfum_844-46), FDH1 (Sfum_2703-06) and Hox (Sfum_2713-16) may confurcate electrons from NADH and ..
- Wiring an [FeFe]-hydrogenase with photosystem I for light-induced hydrogen productionCarolyn E Lubner
Department of Chemistry, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Biochemistry 49:10264-6. 2010..Photosystem I (PS I) and an [FeFe]-hydrogenase (H(2)ase) serve as the test bed for this new technology...
- Heterologous expression of Alteromonas macleodii and Thiocapsa roseopersicina [NiFe] hydrogenases in Escherichia coliP D Weyman
Department of Synthetic Biology and Bioenergy, The J Craig Venter Institute, Rockville, MD 20850, USA
Microbiology 157:1363-74. 2011HynSL from Alteromonas macleodii 'deep ecotype' (AltDE) is an oxygen-tolerant and thermostable [NiFe] hydrogenase. Its two structural genes (hynSL), encoding small and large hydrogenase subunits, are surrounded by eight genes (hynD, hupH ..
- Targeting intermediates of [FeFe]-hydrogenase by CO and CN vibrational signaturesLian Yu
Laboratorium für Physikalische Chemie, ETH Zürich, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zürich, Switzerland
Inorg Chem 50:3888-900. 2011In this work, we employ density functional theory to assign vibrational signatures of [FeFe]-hydrogenase intermediates to molecular structures...
- Quantum refinement of [FeFe] hydrogenase indicates a dithiomethylamine ligandUlf Ryde
Theoretical Chemistry, Lund University, P O Box 124, SE 221 00 Lund, Sweden
J Am Chem Soc 132:4512-3. 2010..Thereby, we obtain structures that are an ideal compromise between DFT and crystallography...
- Rhizobium leguminosarum hupE encodes a nickel transporter required for hydrogenase activityBelen Brito
Departamento de Biotecnologia, Escuela Tecnica Superior de Ingenieros Agronomos, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Madrid, Spain
J Bacteriol 192:925-35. 2010..we further characterize the nickel transport capacity of HupE and that of the translated product of hupE2, a hydrogenase-unlinked gene identified in the R. leguminosarum genome...
- Identification and characterization of a novel member of the radical AdoMet enzyme superfamily and implications for the biosynthesis of the Hmd hydrogenase active site cofactorShawn E McGlynn
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Montana State University, Bozeman, Montana 59717, USA
J Bacteriol 192:595-8. 2010..In contrast to the characteristic CX(3)CX(2)C or CX(2)CX(4)C motif defining this family, HmdB contains a unique CX(5)CX(2)C motif...
- The difference a Se makes? Oxygen-tolerant hydrogen production by the [NiFeSe]-hydrogenase from Desulfomicrobium baculatumAlison Parkin
Inorganic Chemistry, University of Oxford, South Parks Road, OX1 3QR, England
J Am Chem Soc 130:13410-6. 2008Protein film voltammetry studies of the [NiFeSe]-hydrogenase from Desulfomicrobium baculatum show it to be a highly efficient H2 cycling catalyst...
- From hydrogenases to noble metal-free catalytic nanomaterials for H2 production and uptakeAlan Le Goff
Commissariat a l Energie Atomique CEA, Institut Rayonnement Matière de Saclay, Service de Physique et Chimie des Surfaces et Interfaces, Chemistry of Surfaces and Interfaces group, F 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex, France
Science 326:1384-7. 2009..Here, we show that the covalent attachment of a nickel bisdiphosphine-based mimic of the active site of hydrogenase enzymes onto multiwalled carbon nanotubes results in a high-surface area cathode material with high catalytic ..
- [FeFe] hydrogenase genetic diversity provides insight into molecular adaptation in a saline microbial mat communityEric S Boyd
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry and Astrobiology, Montana State University, Bozeman, 59717, USA
Appl Environ Microbiol 75:4620-3. 2009Degenerate primers for the [FeFe] hydrogenase (hydA) were developed and used in PCRs to examine hydA in microbial mats that inhabit saltern evaporative ponds in Guerrero Negro (GN), Mexico...
- Toward single-enzyme molecule electrochemistry: [NiFe]-hydrogenase protein film voltammetry at nanoelectrodesFreek J M Hoeben
Kavli Institute of Nanoscience, Delft University of Technology, Lorentzweg 1, Delft, The Netherlands
ACS Nano 2:2497-504. 2008..We then demonstrate the viability of the approach by focusing on the highly active [NiFe]-hydrogenase from Allochromatium vinosum immobilized on polymyxin-pretreated Au...
- The role of the maturase HydG in [FeFe]-hydrogenase active site synthesis and assemblyEric Pilet
Laboratoire de Chimie et Biologie des Metaux, Universite Joseph Fourier, UMR 5249 CNRS, IRTSV CEA Grenoble, Grenoble Cedex, France
FEBS Lett 583:506-11. 2009..and dehydroglycine, and the finding of a similar cleavage reaction catalyzed by HydG suggests a mechanism for hydrogenase maturation...
- Relating diffusion along the substrate tunnel and oxygen sensitivity in hydrogenasePierre Pol Liebgott
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unité Propre de Recherche 9036, Unite de Bioenergetique et Ingenierie des Proteines, Institut Fédératif de Recherche 88, Institut de Microbiologie de la Mediterranee, Marseille, France
Nat Chem Biol 6:63-70. 2010..protein film voltammetry, we determined and then compared the rates of inhibition by CO and O2 in ten NiFe hydrogenase mutants and two FeFe hydrogenases...
- The active site of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricans. II. Redox properties, light sensitivity and CO-ligand exchange as observed by infrared spectroscopyWinfried Roseboom
Swammerdam Institute for Life Sciences, University of Amsterdam, Nieuwe Achtergracht 166, 1018 WV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Biol Inorg Chem 11:102-18. 2006..The possible oxidation states of Fe1 and Fe2 in the various enzyme states are discussed. Low redox potentials (below -500 mV) lead to destruction of the [2Fe]H subcluster...
- The interface between the biological and inorganic worlds: iron-sulfur metalloclustersDouglas C Rees
Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering 114 96, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125, USA
Science 300:929-31. 2003....
- Steps along the path to dihydrogen activation at [FeFe] hydrogenase structural models: dependence of the core geometry on electrocatalytic proton reductionMun Hon Cheah
School of Chemistry, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Inorg Chem 46:1741-50. 2007..880 A) < H23P (2.064 A) < H2DP (3.100 A)], and this suggests a common reaction path for the thiolato- and phosphido-bridged diiron carbonyl compounds...
- Characterization of a cyanobacterial-like uptake [NiFe] hydrogenase: EPR and FTIR spectroscopic studies of the enzyme from Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidansOlga Schröder
Max Volmer Institut für Biophysikalische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Berlin, 10623, Berlin, Germany
J Biol Inorg Chem 12:212-33. 2007Electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) and Fourier transform IR studies on the soluble hydrogenase from Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans are presented...
- Synthetic chemistry: making a natural fuel cellMarcetta York Darensbourg
Nature 433:589-91. 2005
- Theoretical studies of [FeFe]-hydrogenase: infrared fingerprints of the dithiol-bridging ligand in the active siteSilviu Zilberman
Department of Chemistry, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08544, USA
Inorg Chem 46:1153-61. 2007....
- Finding gas diffusion pathways in proteins: application to O2 and H2 transport in CpI [FeFe]-hydrogenase and the role of packing defectsJordi Cohen
Department of Physics and Beckman Institute, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Structure 13:1321-9. 2005..transport of H2 and O2 between the external solution and the hydrogen-producing active site of CpI [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Clostridium pasteurianum...
- Density functional theory investigation of the active site of [Fe]-hydrogenases: effects of redox state and ligand characteristics on structural, electronic, and reactivity properties of complexes related to the [2Fe]H subclusterMaurizio Bruschi
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Milan-Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, I-20126 Milan, Italy
Inorg Chem 42:4773-81. 2003..Chem. 2002, 41, 3917) suggests that activation paths involving both metal ions are also possible. Moreover, mu-H Fe(II)Fe(I) complexes are predicted to correspond to stable species and might be formed in the enzyme catalytic cycle...
- Electrochemical investigations of the interconversions between catalytic and inhibited states of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricansAlison Parkin
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, Oxford University, South Parks Road, Oxford OX1 3QR, England
J Am Chem Soc 128:16808-15. 2006Studies of the catalytic properties of the [FeFe]-hydrogenase from Desulfovibrio desulfuricans by protein film voltammetry, under a H2 atmosphere, reveal and establish a variety of interesting properties not observed or measured ..
- Insights into the mechanism of electrocatalytic hydrogen evolution mediated by Fe2(S2C3H6)(CO)6: the simplest functional model of the Fe-hydrogenase active siteClaudio Greco
Department of Biotechnology and Biosciences, University of Milano Bicocca, Piazza della Scienza 2, 20126 Milan, Italy
Inorg Chem 46:108-16. 2007....
- A model system for [NiFe] hydrogenase maturation studies: Purification of an active site-containing hydrogenase large subunit without small subunitGordon Winter
, , Chausseestr. 117, D-10115 Berlin, Germany
FEBS Lett 579:4292-6. 2005The large subunit HoxC of the H2-sensing [NiFe] hydrogenase from Ralstonia eutropha was purified without its small subunit. Two forms of HoxC were identified. Both forms contained iron but only substoichiometric amounts of nickel...
- Characterization of a diferrous terminal hydride mechanistically relevant to the Fe-only hydrogenasesJarl Ivar van der Vlugt
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana--Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 127:16012-3. 2005..desulfuricans enzyme. The model reacts with protons to yield H2 and rearranges via an intramolecular process to the isomeric mu-hydrido isomer, which is unreactive toward protons...
- Synthesis of the H-cluster framework of iron-only hydrogenaseCédric Tard
Department of Biological Chemistry, John Innes Centre, Norwich NR4 7UH, UK
Nature 433:610-3. 2005..Here we report the assembly of the iron-sulphur framework of the active site of iron-only hydrogenase (the H-cluster), and show that it functions as an electrocatalyst for proton reduction...
- Dihydrogen activation by a diruthenium analogue of the Fe-only hydrogenase active siteAaron K Justice
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 600 S. Mathews Avenue, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:13214-5. 2004..The reaction of 2 with [D(OEt2)]BArF4 gave [Ru2(S2C3H6)(mu-H)(CO)3(PCy3)2(HD)]+ (JH-D = 31 Hz). These studies provide the first models for the Fe-only hydrogenases that bear dihydrogen and terminal hydrido ligands...
- Non-mitochondrial complex I proteins in a hydrogenosomal oxidoreductase complexSabrina D Dyall
Department of Microbiology, Immunology and Molecular Genetics, University of California, Los Angeles, 1602 Molecular Sciences Building, 609 Charles E. Young Drive East, Los Angeles, California 90095-1489, USA
Nature 431:1103-7. 2004..pyruvate oxidation is catalysed by pyruvate:ferredoxin oxidoreductase (PFOR), with electrons donated to an [Fe]-hydrogenase which produces hydrogen...
- The hydrophilic phosphatriazaadamantane ligand in the development of H2 production electrocatalysts: iron hydrogenase model complexesRosario Mejia-Rodriguez
Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:12004-14. 2004....
- Pathways of H2 toward the active site of [NiFe]-hydrogenaseVitor H Teixeira
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Oeiras, Portugal
Biophys J 91:2035-45. 2006..H(2) easily permeates hydrogenase in every simulation and it moves preferentially in channels...
- Overexpression of a hydrogenase gene in Clostridium paraputrificum to enhance hydrogen gas productionKenji Morimoto
Rare Sugar Research Center, Kagawa University, 2393 Ikenobe, Miki-cho, Kita-gun, Kagawa 761-0795, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 246:229-34. 2005A [Fe]-hydrogenase gene (hydA) was cloned from Clostridium paraputrificum M-21 in Escherichia coli using a conserved DNA sequence of clostridial hydrogenase genes amplified by PCR as the probe...
- Density functional study on dihydrogen activation at the H cluster in Fe-only hydrogenasesTaijin Zhou
Department of Chemistry, State Key Laboratory for Physical Chemistry of Solid States, Xiamen University, Xiamen, Fujian 361005, PR China
Inorg Chem 44:4941-6. 2005..A new intermediate state containing an Fe(p)...H...CN two-electron three-center bond is identified as a key player in the H2 formation/cleavage processes...
- The Tmc complex from Desulfovibrio vulgaris hildenborough is involved in transmembrane electron transfer from periplasmic hydrogen oxidationPatricia M Pereira
Instituto de Tecnologia Quimica e Biologica, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 2781 901 Oeiras, Portugal
Biochemistry 45:10359-67. 2006..Nearly full reduction of the redox centers in the Tmc complex could be obtained upon incubation with hydrogenase/TpIc(3), supporting the role of this complex in transmembrane transfer of electrons resulting from periplasmic ..
- [Fe2(SR)2(mu-CO)(CNMe)6]2+ and analogues: a new class of diiron dithiolates as structural models for the H(ox)Air state of the fe-only hydrogenaseChristine A Boyke
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 126:15151-60. 2004..DFT calculations show that a bridging CO or MeNC establishes a 3-center, 2-electron bond within the two Fe(II) centers, which would otherwise be nonbonding...
- [NiFe]-hydrogenases: spectroscopic and electrochemical definition of reactions and intermediatesFraser A Armstrong
Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, UK
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 363:937-54; discussion 1035-40. 2005..A challenge for exploiting hydrogenases is their sensitivity to O2, but some organisms are known to produce enzymes that overcome this problem by subtle alterations of the active site and gas access channels...
- Activation and inactivation of hydrogenase function and the catalytic cycle: spectroelectrochemical studiesAntonio L De Lacey
Instituto de Catalisis, CSIC, Marie Curie 2, Cantoblanco, 28049 Madrid, Spain
Chem Rev 107:4304-30. 2007
- Hydrogenases: active site puzzles and progressFraser A Armstrong
Department of Chemistry, University of Oxford, Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory, UK
Curr Opin Chem Biol 8:133-40. 2004Recent research on the hydrogenase reactions has sought to probe beyond the information that is provided by X-ray diffraction structures...
- Two distinct heterodisulfide reductase-like enzymes in the sulfate-reducing archaeon Archaeoglobus profundusGerd J Mander
Max Planck Institut for Terrestrial Microbiology, Marburg, Germany
Eur J Biochem 271:1106-16. 2004..fulgidus in which these genes are clustered. They encode a three-subunit [NiFe] hydrogenase with high sequence identity to the F420-nonreducing hydrogenase from Methanothermobacter spp...
- Electron-rich diferrous-phosphane-thiolates relevant to Fe-only hydrogenase: is cyanide "nature's trimethylphosphane"?Jarl Ivar van der Vlugt
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, 505 S Mathews St, Urbana, IL 61801, USA
Chemistry 12:90-8. 2005..Relevant to the H(red) state of the active site of Fe-only hydrogenases, the unsymmetrical derivatives 5 and 6 feature a semibridging CO ligand trans to a labile coordination site...
- Chelate control of diiron(I) dithiolates relevant to the [Fe-Fe]- hydrogenase active siteAaron K Justice
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
Inorg Chem 46:1655-64. 2007..Oxidation of MeCN solutions of 1(CO)3(PMe3) with Cp2FePF6 yielded [Fe2(S2C2H4)(mu-CO)(CO)2(dppv)(PMe3)(NCMe)](PF6)2. Reaction of this compound with PMe3 yielded [Fe2(S2C2H4)(mu-CO)(CO)(dppv)(PMe3)2(NCMe)](PF6)2...
- Reduction and removal of heptavalent technetium from solution by Escherichia coliJ R Lloyd
School of Biological Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, United Kingdom
J Bacteriol 179:2014-21. 1997..The following observations confirmed that the hydrogenase III (Hyc) component of formate hydrogenlyase in both essential and sufficient for Tc(VII) reduction: (i) ..
- Modeling the active sites in metalloenzymes 5. The heterolytic bond cleavage of H(2) in the [NiFe] hydrogenase of desulfovibrio gigas by a nucleophilic addition mechanismS Niu
Contribution from HPCC Group, Environmental Molecular Science Laboratory, Battelle, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington 99352, USA
Inorg Chem 40:6201-3. 2001The H(2) activation catalyzed by an Fe(II)-Ni(III) model of the [NiFe] hydrogenase of Desulfovibrio gigas has been investigated by density functional theory (DFT/B3LYP) calculations on the neutral and anionic active site complexes, [(CO)(..
- Computational studies of [NiFe] and [FeFe] hydrogenasesPer E M Siegbahn
Department of Biophysics, Arrhenius Laboratory, Stockholm University, SE-106 91, Stockholm, Sweden
Chem Rev 107:4414-35. 2007
- Facilitated hydride binding in an Fe-Fe hydrogenase active-site biomimic revealed by X-ray absorption spectroscopy and DFT calculationsSimone Löscher
Freie Universitat Berlin, Institut fur Experimentalphysik, Arnimallee 14, 14195, Berlin, Germany
Inorg Chem 46:11094-105. 2007..In the iron-only hydrogenases, protonation of the putative adt ligand may cause the bridging CO to move to a terminal position, thereby preparing the active site for hydride binding en route to H2 formation...
- [FeFe]-hydrogenase-catalyzed H2 production in a photoelectrochemical biofuel cellMichael Hambourger
Center for Bioenergy and Photosynthesis and Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona 85287 1604, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:2015-22. 2008The Clostridium acetobutylicum [FeFe]-hydrogenase HydA has been investigated as a hydrogen production catalyst in a photoelectrochemical biofuel cell. Hydrogenase was adsorbed to pyrolytic graphite edge and carbon felt electrodes...
- Diiron dithiolato carbonyls related to the H(ox)CO state of [FeFe]-hydrogenaseAaron K Justice
Department of Chemistry, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Am Chem Soc 130:5293-301. 2008..Oxidation of 1 by 2 equiv of acetylferrocenium afforded the dication (2+), which, on the basis of low-temperature IR spectrum, is structurally similar to (+). Treatment of (2+) with CO gives unsym-[1(CO)](2+)...
- Refining the active site structure of iron-iron hydrogenase using computational infrared spectroscopyJesse W Tye
Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843 3255, USA
Inorg Chem 47:2380-8. 2008..Comparisons of the computed IR spectra of the (12)CO and (13)CO inhibited form with the experimental IR spectra show that exogenous CO binds terminally to the distal iron center...
- Gene expression by the sulfate-reducing bacterium Desulfovibrio vulgaris Hildenborough grown on an iron electrode under cathodic protection conditionsSean M Caffrey
University of Calgary, Department of Biological Sciences, 2500 University Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta T2N 1N4, Canada
Appl Environ Microbiol 74:2404-13. 2008..Relative to the latter, the electrode-grown cells overexpressed two hydrogenases, the hyn-1 genes for [NiFe] hydrogenase 1 and the hyd genes, encoding [Fe] hydrogenase...
- Synthesis, structure, and electrocatalysis of diiron C-functionalized propanedithiolate (PDT) complexes related to the active site of [FeFe]-hydrogenasesLi Cheng Song
Department of Chemistry, State Key Laboratory of Elemento organic Chemistry, Nankai University, Tianjin, China
Inorg Chem 47:4545-53. 2008....
- The hydA gene encoding the H(2)-evolving hydrogenase of Clostridium perfringens: molecular characterization and expression of the geneM Kaji
Department of Hospital Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine, Kagawa Medical University, 1750 1, Miki cho, Kita gun, Kagawa, Japan
FEMS Microbiol Lett 181:329-36. 1999A putative hydrogenase (hydA) gene of Clostridium perfringens encodes a protein with strong identity to Clostridium pasteurianum hydrogenase I. Disruption of the hydA gene abolished H(2) productivity, confirming its function...
- Series of mixed valent Fe(II)Fe(I) complexes that model the Hox state of [FeFe]hydrogenase: redox properties, density-functional theory investigation, and reactivities with extrinsic COChristine M Thomas
Department of Chemistry, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77845, USA
Inorg Chem 47:7009-24. 2008A series of asymmetrically disubstituted models of the active site of [FeFe]-hydrogenase, (mu-pdt)[Fe(CO) 2PMe 3][Fe(CO) 2NHC] (pdt = 1,3-propanedithiolate, NHC = IMes, 1,3-bis(2,4,6-trimethylphenyl)imidazol-2-ylidene IMes ( 1), IMesMe, ..
- X-Ray Raman and Vibrational Mossbauer of MetalloproteinsSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Three of the enzyme active sites (NiFe hydrogenase, CO dehydrogenase, and acetyl-CoA synthase) contain combinations of Fe and Ni...
- X-RAY ABSORPTION SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOENZYMESRobert Scott; Fiscal Year: 1993..nickel-containing enzymes, including jackbean urease, Klebsiella aerogenes urease, Desulfovibrio gigas (NiFe) hydrogenase, D...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2006..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- Cell Biology, Genetics, and Biochemistry of GiardiaJohn Samuelson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Giardia have an Fe-hydrogenase. These results suggest multiple hypotheses that will be tested in three Specific Aims...
- DEVELOPMENTAL GENOME REARRANGEMENT OF NIF GENESJames Golden; Fiscal Year: 2002..The excision of these elements is required for nitrogen fixation and uptake hydrogenase activity...
- SOFT X-RAY SPECTROSCOPY OF METALLOPROTEINSSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 1992..in the dioxygen-reducing enzyme cytochrome oxidase, and 3) the nickel and iron sites of the membrane bound hydrogenase from Azotobacter vinelandii...
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseStephen P Cramer; Fiscal Year: 2010..of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual'active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2009..of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual' active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- Synchrotron Spectroscopy of Nitrogenase and HydrogenaseSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2007..characterization of two classes of Fe-based metalloenzymes with 'unusual' active sites - nitrogenase and hydrogenase. The questions that we hope to answer revolve around molecular structure (what atoms are where) dynamics (how ..
- MODEL STUDIES OF ACETYL COENZYME A SYNTHASECharles Riordan; Fiscal Year: 2005..g. the catalytic sites in [NiFe] hydrogenase, sulfite reductase, cytochrome c oxidase, [CuZn] superoxide dismutase and the nitrogenase cofactor...
- X-Ray Raman and Vibrational Mossbauer of MetalloproteinsSTEPHEN CRAMER; Fiscal Year: 2005..Three of the enzyme active sites (NiFe hydrogenase, CO dehydrogenase, and acetyl-CoA synthase) contain combinations of Fe and Ni...