Genomes and Genes
Summary: Enzymes of the oxidoreductase class that catalyze the dehydrogenation of hydroxysteroids. (From Enzyme Nomenclature, 1992) EC 1.1.-.
Publications203 found, 100 shown here
- Human and rodent type 1 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases are 7beta-hydroxycholesterol dehydrogenases involved in oxysterol metabolismM Hult
Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, Karolinska Institutet, 17177 Stockholm, Sweden
Cell Mol Life Sci 61:992-9. 2004..These results demonstrate an enzymatic origin of species differences in 7-oxysterol metabolism, establish the origin of endogenous 7beta-OH cholesterol in humans, and point to a possible involvement of 11beta-HSD1 in atherosclerosis...
- Crystal structures of the binary and ternary complexes of 7 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase from Escherichia coliN Tanaka
Department of Bioengineering, Nagaoka University of Technology, Niigata, Japan
Biochemistry 35:7715-30. 1996....
- Minireview: 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1- a tissue-specific amplifier of glucocorticoid actionJ R Seckl
Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU, Scotland, United Kingdom
Endocrinology 142:1371-6. 200111beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11beta-HSDs) catalyze the interconversion of active glucocorticoids (cortisol, corticosterone) and inert 11-keto forms (cortisone, 11-dehydrocorticosterone)...
- Glucocorticoids inhibit interconversion of 7-hydroxy and 7-oxo metabolites of dehydroepiandrosterone: a role for 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases?Boaz Robinzon
Department of Biochemistry, University of Louisville Health Science Center, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 412:251-8. 2003..Distinct species-specific routes of metabolism of DHEA and the interconversion of its metabolites obviate extrapolation of animal studies to humans...
- Tissue-specific Cushing's syndrome, 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and the redefinition of corticosteroid hormone actionPaul M Stewart
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Eur J Endocrinol 149:163-8. 2003..Modulation of enzyme activity may offer a future therapeutic approach to treating these diseases whilst circumventing the endocrine consequences of glucocorticoid excess or deficiency...
- Mechanistic roles of Ser-114, Tyr-155, and Lys-159 in 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroniChi Ching Hwang
Department of Biochemistry, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 807, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 280:3522-8. 2005....
- Transgenic amplification of glucocorticoid action in adipose tissue causes high blood pressure in miceHiroaki Masuzaki
Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
J Clin Invest 112:83-90. 2003..The potential role of adipose 11beta-HSD1 in mediating critical features of the metabolic syndrome extends beyond obesity and metabolic complications to include the most central cardiovascular feature of this disorder...
- Novel whole-cell biocatalysts with recombinant hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases for the asymmetric reduction of dehydrocholic acidMichael Braun
Institute of Biochemical Engineering, Technische Universitat Munchen, Boltzmannstr 15, 85748 Garching, Germany
Appl Microbiol Biotechnol 95:1457-68. 2012..Various biocatalytic alternatives have already been discussed with hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDH) playing a crucial role...
- Androgens, estrogens, and hydroxysteroid dehydrogenasesDario Mizrachi
Divisions of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, TX 75390 8857, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 301:37-42. 2009..and activity of potent androgens and estrogens in human physiology is largely relegated to the hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs)...
- Mechanism of proton transfer in the 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroniYi Hsun Chang
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, 100 Shih Chuan 1st Road, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
J Biol Chem 282:34306-14. 2007..Furthermore, a proton inventory on V/Et is bowl-shaped for both the wild-type and K159A mutant enzymes and indicates a two-proton transfer in the transition state from Tyr(155) to Lys(159) via 2'-OH of ribose...
- Contributions of active site residues to cofactor binding and catalysis of 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductaseYi Hsun Chang
Graduate Institute of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, College of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1804:235-41. 2010..Substitution of alanine for N86 has a minor effect on NADH binding through K159, resulting in a slight increase in the mobility of the bound NADH and decreases in affinity and catalytic constant...
- Role of S114 in the NADH-induced conformational change and catalysis of 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/carbonyl reductase from Comamonas testosteroniYi Hsun Chang
Graduate Institute of Medicine, Kaohsiung Medical University, Kaohsiung 80731, Taiwan
Biochim Biophys Acta 1794:1459-66. 2009..Substitution of alanine for S114 eliminates the hydrogen bonding interaction with P185, causing a conformational change in a nonproductive binding of NADH and a significant loss of activity...
- The 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: functions and physiological effectsZ Krozowski
Laboratory of Molecular Hypertension, Baker Medical Research Institute, Melbourne, Australia
Mol Cell Endocrinol 151:121-7. 1999..11Beta-HSD2 may also play important roles in pulmonary physiology and breast cancer. This review focuses on recent developments...
- Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs) in bacteria: a bioinformatic perspectiveMichael Kisiela
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Kiel, Germany
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 129:31-46. 2012..b>Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs), which belong to the superfamily of short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases (SDR) or aldo-keto ..
- Effects of the 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase inhibitor carbenoxolone on insulin sensitivity in men with type 2 diabetesRobert C Andrews
University of Edinburgh, Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, United Kingdom EH4 2XU
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:285-91. 2003..However, clinically useful therapeutic effects will probably require selective 11 beta-HSD1 inhibitors that lower intraadipose cortisol levels and enhance peripheral glucose uptake...
- NAD(+)-dependent isoform of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase. Cloning and characterization of cDNA from sheep kidneyA K Agarwal
Department of Pediatrics, New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York 10021
J Biol Chem 269:25959-62. 1994..In humans, this gene is a candidate locus for the syndrome of apparent mineralocorticoid excess, a form of hypertension postulated to result from 11-HSD deficiency in mineralocorticoid target tissues...
- The N-terminal anchor sequences of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases determine their orientation in the endoplasmic reticulum membraneA Odermatt
Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 274:28762-70. 1999..Our results emphasize the importance of the N-terminal transmembrane segments of 11beta-HSD enzymes for their proper function and demonstrate that they are sufficient to determine their orientation in the ER membrane...
- Distribution of glucocorticoid and mineralocorticoid receptors and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in human and rat ocular tissuesJ Stokes
Department of Medicine, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Scotland
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 41:1629-38. 2000....
- Carbonyl reductases and pluripotent hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the short-chain dehydrogenase/reductase superfamilyFrank Hoffmann
Institute of Toxicology and Pharmacology for Natural Scientists, University Medical School Schleswig Holstein, Campus Kiel, Brunswiker Strasse, Kiel, 10, 24105, Germany
Drug Metab Rev 39:87-144. 2007..In addition, there exist a variety of pluripotent hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs) of both superfamilies that specifically catalyze the oxidoreduction at different positions of ..
- Selective inhibition of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 decreases blood glucose concentrations in hyperglycaemic miceP Alberts
Pharmacology 2, Department of Biology, Research, Biovitrum, Stockholm, Sweden
Diabetologia 45:1528-32. 2002..The aim of the present study is to test if selective inhibition of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 lowers blood glucose concentrations in a hyperglycaemic and hyperinsulinaemic mouse model...
- Structure-function relationships in 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: a comparison of the rat and human isoformsTrevor M Penning
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 85:247-55. 20033alpha-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (3alpha-HSDs) inactivate steroid hormones in the liver, regulate 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5alpha-DHT) levels in the prostate, and form the neurosteroid, allopregnanolone in the CNS...
- Selective reduction of AKR1C2 in prostate cancer and its role in DHT metabolismQing Ji
Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, USA
Prostate 54:275-89. 2003..Functional activity and regulation of AKR1C2, a 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD) type III, was also assessed in prostate cancer cell lines...
- Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in bovine and porcine granulosa cells convert zearalenone into its hydroxylated metabolites alpha-zearalenol and beta-zearalenolH Malekinejad
Department of Veterinary Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Utrecht University, Yalelaan 16, 3508 TD, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Vet Res Commun 30:445-53. 2006..This is the first report demonstrating the extrahepatic biotransformation of zearalenone in target tissues...
- Human hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and pre-receptor regulation: insights into inhibitor design and evaluationTrevor M Penning
Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6084, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 125:46-56. 2011b>Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs) represent a major class of NAD(P)(H) dependent steroid hormone oxidoreductases involved in the pre-receptor regulation of hormone action...
- Evaluation of single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for nonsurgical sterilization in adult albino ratsKuladip Jana
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, Calcutta 700 037, West Bengal, India
Contraception 73:289-300. 2006..To investigate a method of chemical sterilization and its efficacy in adult albino rats...
- Several homozygous mutations in the gene for 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 in patients with apparent mineralocorticoid excessR C Wilson
Department of Pediatrics, New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York 10021, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:3145-50. 1995..This results from consanguinity in two families and possibly from endogamy or a founder effect in four of the other five families. The absence of compound heterozygotes remains to be investigated...
- cDNA cloning and expression of the human hepatic bile acid-binding protein. A member of the monomeric reductase gene familyA Stolz
Division of Gastrointestinal and Liver Diseases, University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033
J Biol Chem 268:10448-57. 1993..Future studies will define the physiologic significance of this novel, multifunctional protein in bile acid transport and xenobiotic metabolism...
- Evaluation of single intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for nonsurgical sterilization of male Black Bengal goats (Capra hircus): a dose-dependent studyKuladip Jana
Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology, West Bengal University of Animal and Fishery Sciences, 64 1 14 Belgachia Road Milk Colony, 37 and 68 K B Sarani, Calcutta 700037, West Bengal, India
Anim Reprod Sci 86:89-108. 2005..Changes in these parameters were not significant. An intratesticular injection of calcium chloride at specified doses could be a suitable method of sterilization in preference to surgical castration of goats...
- Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: ancient and modern regulators of adrenal and sex steroid actionM E Baker
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0823, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 175:1-4. 2001..We propose that hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases that metabolized functional groups at different sites on steroids (e.g...
- Mineralocorticoid activity of liquorice: 11-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase deficiency comes of ageP M Stewart
Department of Medicine, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh
Lancet 2:821-4. 1987....
- Cortisol metabolism in healthy young adults: sexual dimorphism in activities of A-ring reductases, but not 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenasesM J Finken
University of Edinburgh, Department of Medical Sciences, Western General Hospital, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3316-21. 1999..by A-ring reductases (5alpha- and 5beta-reductases) and reversibly (to cortisone) by 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11betaHSDs). In rats, estradiol down-regulates 11betaHSD1 expression...
- Increased expression of genes converting adrenal androgens to testosterone in androgen-independent prostate cancerMichael Stanbrough
Cancer Biology Program, Department of Medicine, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Cancer Res 66:2815-25. 2006..These results indicate that enhanced intracellular conversion of adrenal androgens to testosterone and dihydrotestosterone is a mechanism by which prostate cancer cells adapt to androgen deprivation and suggest new therapeutic targets...
- Phenotypic analysis of mice bearing targeted deletions of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases 1 and 2 genesM C Holmes
Molecular Endocrinology, Molecular Medicine Centre, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK
Mol Cell Endocrinol 171:15-20. 2001The glucocorticoid metabolising enzymes, 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11beta-HSD), play a critical role in determining the availability of glucocorticoids to activate their receptors and hence modulate target gene transcription...
- Crystal structure of human type III 3alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase/bile acid binding protein complexed with NADP(+) and ursodeoxycholateY Jin
Department of Pharmacology, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, and The Johnson Research Foundation, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
Biochemistry 40:10161-8. 2001....
- SDR-type human hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases involved in steroid hormone activationXiaoqiu Wu
Structural Genomics Consortium, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LD, United Kingdom
Mol Cell Endocrinol 265:71-6. 2007b>Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases catalyze the NAD(P)(H)-dependent oxidoreduction of hydroxyl and oxo-functions at distinct positions of steroid hormones...
- Growth hormone replacement inhibits renal and hepatic 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in ACTH-deficient patientsB R Walker
University of Edinburgh, Department of Medicine, Western General Hospital, UK
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 49:257-63. 1998..In this study, we examined the effects of GH replacement on cortisol metabolism...
- Distinguishing the activities of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in vivo using isotopically labeled cortisolRuth Andrew
Endocrinology Unit, Department of Medical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, Scotland EH4 2XU, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:277-85. 2002..This technique offers a significant advance in the methods available to measure turnover in 11betaHSDs and isozymes of 11betaHSDs in vivo in human studies, and this study confirms that carbenoxolone inhibits both isozymes of 11betaHSD...
- Mouse 17alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (AKR1C21) binds steroids differently from other aldo-keto reductases: identification and characterization of amino acid residues critical for substrate bindingFrédérick Faucher
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center CHUL, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G2
J Mol Biol 369:525-40. 2007..steroid-binding mode for an AKR is similar to that adopted by other steroid-binding proteins, the hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the short-chain dehydrogenases/reductases (SDR) family and the steroid hormone nuclear receptors...
- 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases, cell proliferation and malignancyE H Rabbitt
Department of Endocrinology, Division of Medical Sciences, Institute of Clinical Research, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 85:415-21. 2003..These and other issues are discussed in the present review...
- A cluster of eight hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase genes belonging to the aldo-keto reductase supergene family on mouse chromosome 13Laurent Vergnes
Department of Human Genetics and Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095, USA
J Lipid Res 44:503-11. 2003A subclass of hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSD) are NADP(H)-dependent oxidoreductases that belong to the aldo-keto reductase (AKR) superfamily...
- Evolution of 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and their role in androgen, estrogen and retinoid actionM E Baker
Department of Medicine, 0823 University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0823, USA
Mol Cell Endocrinol 171:211-5. 200117beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (17beta-HSDs) regulate androgen and estrogen concentrations in mammals...
- Characterization of two isoforms of mouse 3(17)alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the aldo-keto reductase familySyuhei Ishikura
Laboratory of Biochemistry, Gifu Pharmaceutical University, Japan
Biol Pharm Bull 27:1939-45. 2004Mouse kidney contains two 3(17)alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs) that show essentially the same properties except for their isoelectric points...
- Xanthomonas maltophilia CBS 897.97 as a source of new 7beta- and 7alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and cholylglycine hydrolase: improved biotransformations of bile acidsPaola Pedrini
Dipartimento delle Risorse Naturali e Culturali, Universita di Ferrara, C so Ercole I d Este 32, I 44100 Ferrara, Italy
Steroids 71:189-98. 2006The paper reports the partial purification and characterization of the 7beta- and 7alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDH) and cholylglycine hydrolase (CGH), isolated from Xanthomonas maltophilia CBS 897.97...
- The effect of allelic variation in aldo-keto reductase 1C2 on the in vitro metabolism of dihydrotestosteroneRyan H Takahashi
Division of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, 2146 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 329:1032-9. 2009..These variant AKR1C2 alleles may represent one factor involved in the variable degradation of DHT in vivo...
- Human cytosolic hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases of the aldo-ketoreductase superfamily catalyze reduction of conjugated steroids: implications for phase I and phase II steroid hormone metabolismYi Jin
Centers of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology and Cancer Pharmacology, Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
J Biol Chem 284:10013-22. 2009....
- Evolution of mammalian 11beta- and 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases-type 2 and retinol dehydrogenases from ancestors in Caenorhabditis elegans and evidence for horizontal transfer of a eukaryote dehydrogenase to E. coliM E Baker
Department of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla 92093 0623, USA
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 66:355-63. 1998..Sequence comparisons and phylogenetic analysis indicate that the E. coli protein may be an example of horizontal transfer from a eukaryote ancestor...
- An intracellular protein that binds amyloid-beta peptide and mediates neurotoxicity in Alzheimer's diseaseS D Yan
Department of Pathology, Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, New York 10032, USA
Nature 389:689-95. 1997..By interacting with intracellular amyloid-beta, ERAB may therefore contribute to the neuronal dysfunction associated with Alzheimer's disease...
- Crystal structures of mouse 17alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (apoenzyme and enzyme-NADP(H) binary complex): identification of molecular determinants responsible for the unique 17alpha-reductive activity of this enzymeFrédérick Faucher
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center CHUL and Laval University, Quebec QC, Canada G1V 4G2
J Mol Biol 364:747-63. 2006....
- Pathophysiology of modulation of local glucocorticoid levels by 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenasesT C Sandeep
Endocrinology Unit, Dept of Medical Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh, UK EH4 2XU
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:446-53. 200111beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11beta HSDs) are enzymes that catalyse the interconversion of active glucocorticoids (cortisol and corticosterone) into their inactive 11-keto products (cortisone and 11-deoxycorticosterone)...
- Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases and pre-receptor regulation of steroid hormone actionTrevor M Penning
Department of Pharmacology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Hum Reprod Update 9:193-205. 2003..This pre-receptor regulation can be achieved by hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs)...
- Purification of full-length recombinant human and rat type 1 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases with retained oxidoreductase activitiesC Stefan I Nobel
Biovitrum AB, Division of Pharmaceuticals, Department of Assay Development and Screening, S 112 87 Stockholm, Sweden
Protein Expr Purif 26:349-56. 2002..Both enzymes were 90-95% pure and exhibited dehydrogenase and reductase activities with K(M) values in agreement with those reported in the literature...
- Morphologic change and elevation of cortisol secretion in cultured human normal adrenocortical cells caused by mutant p21K-ras proteinChia Hung Wu
Graduate Institute of Biochemistry, Kaohsiung Medical University Kaohsiung, Taiwan, ROC
DNA Cell Biol 21:21-9. 2002..These results, combined with previous reports of steroidogenic K-ras in bovine adrenocortical cells, suggest that the K-ras oncogene is involved in steroidogenesis in human adrenocortical cells...
- Transcript profiling of the androgen signal in normal prostate, benign prostatic hyperplasia, and prostate cancerDavid R Bauman
Department of Pharmacology, Center of Excellence in Environmental Toxicology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, 130C John Morgan Building, 3620 Hamilton Walk, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104 6084, USA
Endocrinology 147:5806-16. 2006..280 in normal PSC) were maintained in PEC and PSC in diseased prostate. These data suggest that CaP may be more responsive to an ERbeta agonist and BPH may be more responsive to androgen ablation...
- Human types 1 and 3 3 alpha-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: differential lability and tissue distributionI Dufort
Oncology and Molecular Endocrinology Research Center, Laval University Medical Center CHUL and Laval University, Quebec G1V 4G2, Canada
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:841-6. 20013 alpha-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (3 alpha-HSDs) catalyze the conversion of 3-ketosteroids to 3 alpha-hydroxy compounds...
- Changes in the activities of hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in mouse oocytes during meiotic maturationSueo Niimura
Faculty of Agriculture, Niigata University, Japan
J Reprod Dev 49:451-6. 2003The activities of hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs) were histochemically demonstrated in mouse oocytes in the process of maturation in vivo and in vitro, and the changes in steroid metabolism during meiotic maturation and also the ..
- Acute intrarenal administration of cortisol has no effect on renal blood flow in hypertensive individualsStan H M van Uum
Division of General Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Department of Medicine, University Medical Center, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
J Hypertens 20:2275-83. 2002..Cortisol is known to increase blood pressure. One possible mechanism is the reported increase in renal vascular resistance (RVR). It is unknown whether this is due to a direct effect of cortisol on the kidneys...
- Antenatal dexamethasone: effect on ovine placental 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 expression and fetal growthLeslie S Kerzner
Brown University School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Women and Infants Hospital of Rhode Island, Providence 02905, USA
Pediatr Res 52:706-12. 2002..05). We conclude that maternal antenatal dexamethasone treatment reduces placental 11beta-HSD-2 expression and fetal weight at mid-gestation in the ovine pregnancy...
- Furosemide and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity, in manM Palermo
Institute of Endocrinology, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 110:272-6. 2002..Our results suggest that furosemide does not play a significant role in 11 beta-OHSD modulation in humans, at least at the dosage used in clinical practice...
- Inhibition of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 lowers intraocular pressure in patients with ocular hypertensionS Rauz
Academic Unit of Ophthalmology, Division of Immunity and Infection, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, UK
QJM 96:481-90. 2003....
- Increased ratio of serum cortisol to cortisone in acute-phase responseM Vogeser
Institute of Clinical Chemistry, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat, Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
Horm Res 58:172-5. 2002..The aim of this pilot study was to investigate whether the serum cortisol:cortisone ratio is altered during the acute-phase response, possibly due to altered modulation of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase isoforms...
- Regulation of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 gene expression in human ovarian surface epithelial cells by interleukin-1Peter Y K Yong
Assisted Conception Programme, Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH16 4SA, UK
Hum Reprod 17:2300-6. 2002..Human 11betaHSD type 1 (11betaHSD1) is principally an 11-oxoreductase that reversibly reduces cortisone to cortisol...
- 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in proteinuric patients and the effect of angiotensin-II receptor blockadeM N Kerstens
University Hospital Groningen, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Invest 32:513-8. 2002..We studied the parameters of 11betaHSD activity in proteinuric patients, in particular its activity at the kidney level. We also studied the effect of angiotensin-II receptor blockade on the parameters of 11betaHSD activity...
- Measurement of cortisol secretion rate by stable isotope methodology following oral administration of 13C-labeled cortisol to a human subjectYasuji Kasuya
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Clinical Pharmacy, School of Pharmacy, Tokyo University of Pharmacy and Life Science, 1432 1 Horinouchi, Hachioji, Tokyo, Japan
Steroids 67:783-8. 2002....
- 11beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1 and 2 are up- and downregulated in cortisol-secreting adrenal adenomasGiuseppina Mazzocchi
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Padua, Italy
J Investig Med 50:288-92. 2002..In contrast, 11betaHSD1 has been investigated to a much lesser degree. We therefore studied and compared the expression and activity of the two isoenzymes in the human adrenal cortex (HAC) and cortisol-secreting adenomas (CSAs)...
- Enantioselectivity of carbonyl reduction of 4-methylnitrosamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone by tissue fractions from human and rat and by enzymes isolated from human liverUrsula Breyer-Pfaff
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Tubingen, Germany
Drug Metab Dispos 32:915-22. 2004..Rat liver and lung microsomes produced NNAL with about 33% and 55% (R)-enantiomer and a mean contribution of 11beta-HSD1 of 12% and 32%, respectively. Multiple enzymes seem to participate in NNK reduction in human and rat tissues...
- Chenodeoxycholic acid and deoxycholic acid inhibit 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and cause cortisol-induced transcriptional activation of the mineralocorticoid receptorAnita T Stauffer
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Department of Clinical Research, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 277:26286-92. 2002....
- Expression of steroid-converting enzymes in osteoblasts derived from rat vertebraeY Ishida
Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Osteoporos Int 13:235-40. 2002....
- [Tissue-specific changes in cortisol metabolism and their potential role in the metabolic syndrome]M N Kerstens
Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Afd Endocrinologie, Postbus 30 001, 9700 RB Groningen
Ned Tijdschr Geneeskd 149:871-6. 2005..Pharmacological inhibition of IIbettaHSD type I activity provides an interesting mechanism for the development of novel therapeutic agents for type-2 diabetes mellitus...
- The role of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in the metabolic syndrome: lessons learned from the animal modelJorg Dotsch
Klinik fur Kinder und Jugendliche, Loschgestr 15, 91054 Erlangen, Friedrich Alexander Universitat Erlangen Nurnberg, Germany
Eur J Endocrinol 146:603-5. 2002
- Hypertension and the cortisol-cortisone shuttleMarcus Quinkler
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TH, United Kingdom
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2384-92. 2003..At a prereceptor level, 11 beta-HSD2 plays a key role in normal physiology in the corticosteroid regulation of sodium homeostasis and pathophysiology of hypertension...
- Localization of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1 and 2 in the male reproductive tractBrendan J Waddell
School of Anatomy and Human Biology, The University of Western Australia, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, Perth, Western Australia 6009, Australia
Endocrinology 144:3101-6. 2003....
- Expression of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in adipose tissue is not increased in human obesityJ W Tomlinson
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham, United Kingdom B15 2TH
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5630-5. 2002..05). Enhanced preadipocyte proliferation within omental adipose tissue as a consequence of decreased 11beta-HSD1 mRNA levels and activity may contribute to increases in visceral adipose tissue mass in obese patients...
- Role of local 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 expression in determining the phenotype of adrenal adenomasTomoatsu Mune
Third Department of Internal Medicine, Gifu University School of Medicine, Gifu 500 8705, Japan
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:864-70. 2003..Nonfunctioning adenomas and those causing preclinical and overt Cushing's syndrome may represent a continuum with clinical manifestations depending mainly on tumor size and HSD11B2 expression levels...
- [11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 activity in Chilean patients with hypertension]Lorena Mosso
Departamentos de Endocrinología y Medicina Interna, Centro de Investigaciones Medicas, Escuela de Medicina, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Rev Med Chil 130:1201-8. 2002..If the enzyme fails, cortisol will stimulate sodium and water reabsorption and increase blood pressure...
- Hypoxia causes down-regulation of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 by induction of Egr-1Christian D Heiniger
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
FASEB J 17:917-9. 2003..Thus, hypoxia decreases 11beta-HSD2 transcription and activity by inducing Egr-1 in vivo and in vitro. This mechanism might account for enhanced renal sodium retention and hypertension associated with hypoxic conditions...
- Greater replication and differentiation of preadipocytes in inherited corticosteroid-binding globulin deficiencyJ M Joyner
Department of Medicine, Redland Hospital, Cleveland, Queensland 4163, Australia
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 284:E1049-54. 2003..Furthermore, these observations may be relevant to obesity occurring with suppressed CBG concentrations associated with hyperinsulinemia...
- Enhanced 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 activity in stress adaptation in the guinea pigM Quinkler
Department of Endocrinology, Klinikum Benjamin Franklin, Freie Universitat Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Endocrinol 176:185-92. 2003The 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11beta-HSDs) convert cortisol to its inactive metabolite cortisone and vice versa...
- Gestation-related and betamethasone-induced changes in 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase types 1 and 2 in the baboon placentaXiao Hong Ma
Laboratory of Pregnancy and Newborn Research, Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 188:13-21. 2003..We examined whether maternal glucocorticoid administration alters placental 11beta-HSD 2 expression...
- Regulation of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzymes in the rat kidney by estradiolElise P Gomez-Sanchez
Endocrine Section and Research Service, G V Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Jackson, MS 39216, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 285:E272-9. 2003..NAD+-dependent enzymatic activity in the absence or presence of a reducing agent demonstrated that the increase in 11betaHSD2 protein was not associated with an increase in in vitro activity unless the dimers were reduced to monomers...
- Low-dose growth hormone inhibits 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 but has no effect upon fat mass in patients with simple obesityJeremy W Tomlinson
Division of Medical Sciences, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom B15 2TH
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:2113-8. 2003..09, GH vs. placebo, P = 0.07). Treatment with low-dose GH in obesity fails to alter fat mass despite a significant elevation in IGF-I and a shift in the global set point of E to F conversion consistent with inhibition of 11 beta-HSD1...
- Short-term cortisol infusion in the brachial artery, with and without inhibiting 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase, does not alter forearm vascular resistance in normotensive and hypertensive subjectsS H M van Uum
Department of Medicine, University Medical Center Nijmegen, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Eur J Clin Invest 32:874-81. 2002..We studied the acute effect of cortisol on forearm vascular resistance (FVR) by infusing cortisol directly into the brachial artery, both with and without inhibition of 11 beta-HSD, in normotensive and hypertensive subjects...
- Ovarian modulators of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11betaHSD) activity in follicular fluid from gonadotrophin-stimulated assisted conception cyclesL M Thurston
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, University College London, Rowland Hill Street, London NW3 2PF, UK
Reproduction 124:801-12. 2002....
- Placental 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase-2 and fetal cortisol/cortisone shuttle in small preterm infantsEero Kajantie
Hospital for Children and Adolescents, Helsinki University Central Hospital, 00029 HUS, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:493-500. 2003..Whether these conditions are associated with early postnatal adrenal insufficiency or long-term cardiovascular risk remains an important issue for further study...
- 11 beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase activity in hypothalamic obesityDov Tiosano
Departments of Pediatrics, Meyer Children s Hospital, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:379-84. 2003..We propose that deficiency of hypothalamic messengers after surgical injury induces a paracrine/autocrine effect of enhanced glucocorticoid activity due to up-regulated 11 beta-HSD1 activity...
- Placental 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in Dahl and spontaneously hypertensive ratsKarla Mazancova
Institute of Physiology, Czech Academy of Sciences, Prague, Czech Republic
Am J Hypertens 16:401-6. 2003..It cannot be excluded, therefore, that the placental glucocorticoid barrier in Dahl rats influences the pathways that might lead to the sensitivity of blood pressure to high salt intake in later life...
- Expression of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in bovine follicle and corpus luteumM Tetsuka
Department of Agricultural and Life Science, Obihiro University of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan 080 8555
J Endocrinol 177:445-52. 2003..local concentrations of active glucocorticoid are determined by the relative expression of two 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSDs): bi-directional 11beta-HSD type1 (11HSD1) that mainly activates cortisone to cortisol, and ..
- Increased cortisol metabolites and reduced activity of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase in patients on hemodialysisVerena N'Gankam
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Berne, Berne, Switzerland
Kidney Int 61:1859-66. 2002..We hypothesized that first, these metabolites accumulate and second, their concentration pattern changes in patients on hemodialysis...
- Human adrenal cortex and aldosterone secreting adenomas express both 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 and type 2 genesGiovanna Albertin
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Anatomy, University of Padua, I 35121 Padua, Italy
Int J Mol Med 9:495-8. 2002....
- Reduced 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 activity is associated with decreased birth weight centile in pregnancies complicated by asthmaVanessa E Murphy
Mothers and Babies Research Centre, University of Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:1660-8. 2002....
- Increased ACTH levels do not alter renal 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 gene expression in the sheepA L Albiston
Howard Florey Institute of Experimental Physiology and Medicine, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
Endocr J 48:119-22. 2001....
- The intracellular localization of the mineralocorticoid receptor is regulated by 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2A Odermatt
Department of Clinical Research, Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Biol Chem 276:28484-92. 2001..Our results provide evidence that 11beta-HSD2, besides inactivating 11beta-hydroxyglucocorticoids, functionally interacts with the MR and directly regulates the magnitude of aldosterone-induced MR activation...
- Apparent mineralocorticoid excessR C Wilson
Pediatric Endocrinology, New York-Presbyterian Hospital and the Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 525 East 68th Street, New York, NY 10021, USA
Trends Endocrinol Metab 12:104-11. 2001..In 1998, a mild form of this disease was reported, which might represent an important cause of low-renin hypertension. Early and vigilant treatment might prevent or improve the morbidity and mortality of end-organ damage...
- Expression and NNK reducing activities of carbonyl reductase and 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in human lungC Finckh
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, Karl von Frisch Strasse 1, Philipps University of Marburg, D 35033, Marburg, Germany
Chem Biol Interact 130:761-73. 2001....
- Characterization of enzymes participating in carbonyl reduction of 4-methylnitrosamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone (NNK) in human placentaA Atalla
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, School of Medicine, Philipps-University of Marburg, D-35033, Marburg, Germany
Chem Biol Interact 130:737-48. 2001..1.1.184) seems to perform this reaction in human placenta cytosol. The presence of carbonyl reductase was confirmed by RT-PCR. This is the first report to provide evidence that NNAL formation in placenta is mediated by carbonyl reductase...
- Guinea pig 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1: primary structure and catalytic propertiesX Pu
The Lawson Research Institute, St Joseph s Health Centre, Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Physiology, University of Western Ontario, 268 Grosvenor Street, London, Ontario, Canada
Steroids 65:148-56. 2000..Thus, the guinea pig provides a useful model in which the structural determinants of catalytic function of 11beta-HSD1 may be studied...
- [Polycystic ovary syndrome of extra-ovarian origin. Review]J Terán Dávila
Servicio de Salud Reproductiva, Centro Colaborador del Programa Especial de Reproducción Humana de la Organización Mundial de la Salud, Maternidad Concepcion Palacios, Caracas, Venezuela
Invest Clin 42:51-78. 2001..It is possible to improve the ovarian function in some patients with POS. This could be achieved with clomiphene citrate associated with glucocorticoids to induce ovulation...
- Expression of 11 beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase isozymes and corticosteroid hormone receptors in primary cultures of human trophoblast and placental bed biopsiesP M Driver
Division of Medical Sciences, University of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Edgbaston, Birmingham B15 2TH, UK
Mol Hum Reprod 7:357-63. 2001..The presence of the MR within trophoblast indicates that some of the effects of cortisol could be MR- rather than GR-mediated...
- Tissue-specific dysregulation of cortisol metabolism in human obesityE Rask
Departments of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, , Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1418-21. 2001....
- Decreased gene expression of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 and 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase in human placenta of patients with preeclampsiaE Schoof
Department of Pediatrics, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, 91054 Erlangen, Germany
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1313-7. 2001..By means of an autocrine or paracrine mechanism, the diminished conversion of placental cortisol may lead to reduced PGDH mRNA expression as found in the present study...
- A mutation in the cofactor-binding domain of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 2 associated with mineralocorticoid hypertensionA Odermatt
Division of Nephrology and Hypertension, Inselspital, University of Berne, 3010 Berne, Switzerland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1247-52. 2001....
- Steroidogenic enzyme gene expression in the human heartK M Kayes-Wandover
Department of Pediatrics, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas 75235 9063, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:2519-25. 2000..1% those in the adrenal gland. These findings are consistent with autocrine or paracrine roles for corticosterone and deoxycorticosterone, but not cortisol or aldosterone, in the normal adult human heart...
- HUMAN PROSTATIC 3A HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASEHsueh Kung Lin; Fiscal Year: 2002DESCRIPTION (Adapted from the Applicant's Abstract): In androgen target tissues 3a-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (3a-HSDs) may regulate the occupancy of androgen receptor (AR) by interconverting 5a-dihydrotestosterone (5a-DHT, a potent ..
- MOLECULAR STUDIES OF A KEY BILE ACID METABOLIZING ENZYMEAndrew Stolz; Fiscal Year: 1993..We have previously identified that the interactions of bile acids with the cytosolic 3 alpha hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSD) is an important determinant in their ultimate uptake and excretion by hepatocytes...
- MECHANISMS AND CHEMISTRY OF DEHYDROGENASE INACTIVATORSDOUGLAS COVEY; Fiscal Year: 1992b>Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (HSD)s constitute an important class of steroid metabolizing enzymes...
- ENDOCRINOLOGY OF 17BETA-HYDROXYSTEROID DEHYDROGENASESA Andersson; Fiscal Year: 2000..the research proposed are to define the biochemistry, function, and physiological roles of the 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (17beta-HSDs), a group of isozymes crucial to the biosynthesis and activation/inactivation of sex ..
- Molecular Mechanisms of Multistage CarcinogenesisTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2006..By studying the discrete molecular events responsible for the causation of cancer this Program may lead to the early prevention and intervention of this disease. ..
- Symposium on Aldo-Keto Reductases & Toxicant MetabolismTREVOR PENNING; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- Renal 11b-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenases and HypertensionMingyu Liang; Fiscal Year: 2008..of the pathophysiology of salt-sensitive hypertension by investigating the role of renal 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases (11beta-HSDs). 11beta-HSDs are critical controllers of local levels of active glucocorticoids...
- ANDROGEN PRODUCTION IN ADRENARCHE AND PCOSWALTER MILLER; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Functions of Very Large G-protein Coupled Receptor-1Perrin White; Fiscal Year: 2008..We are specifically interested in the other proteins with very large ectodomains, protocadherin- 15 and cadherin-23. These studies should shed new light on mechanisms controlling development of the retina and inner ear. ..
- REGULATION OF HUMAN ALDOSTERONE SYNTHASEPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should provide insight into mechanisms underlying a genetic risk factor for cardiovascular disease. ..
- REGULATION OF INTESTINAL BILE ACID BINDING PROTEINSANDY HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2002..Because BA absorption is immature in human infants as well as in suckling rats, this project may provide clinical application to managing neonates, especially those who are premature. ..
- MOLECULAR GENETICS OF LOW RENIN HYPERTENSIONPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2001..The investigators will determine the role of 11-HSD K in the development of essential hypertension, using both linkage and association studies. ..
- Biochemical Basis of Cortisone Reductase DeficiencyPerrin White; Fiscal Year: 2007..Subsets of the genotyping data will be analyzed as an association study, as an affected sib pair study, and by transmission disequilibrium testing. Additional polymorphisms in these genes will be sought in PCOS subjects. ..
- Xenogen Rodent Imaging SystemJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2008..Availability of this instrument would undoubtedly stimulate its use by others on campus and in the area. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Contribution of ATGL in skeletal muscle to lipid metabolism and insulin actionERIN KERSHAW; Fiscal Year: 2008..Evaluating the role of ATGL-mediated fat breakdown in skeletal muscle will provide important insights into the pathophysiology and treatment of obesity, insulin resistance, and related metabolic disorders. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Role of 11beta-HSD1 in Type II Diabetes and ObesityYanjun Liu; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biosynthesis of 9-cis-retinoic acid/retinol homeostasisJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work will provide new insight into retinoid metabolism/ function. ..
- RETINOID METABOLISMJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2007..This work will contribute to revealing pathology caused or exacerbated by impaired atRA biosynthesis during carcinogenesis, skin disease, birth defects, or diseases of intermediary metabolism. ..
- Cortisol at MR Mediate Fetal Physiologic/Genomic EffectsMaureen Keller Wood; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Adrenal decommissioning and hypertensionElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using similar protocols as those in Aim 1, we will study and compare the process of adrenal decommissioning between SHR-SP and regular SHR rats with emphasis of the ZG genes identified as important in Aim 1. ..
- RETINAL DEHYDROGENASESJOSEPH NAPOLI; Fiscal Year: 2009..The fundamental insight and reagents generated will be useful to identify diseases and age-related degeneration that may be caused or exacerbated by impaired RA biosynthesis. ..
- Hormones, hormone-related genes, and colorectal cancerJennifer Lin; Fiscal Year: 2008..Findings from the proposed study of estrogen and progesterone will enhance our understanding of these lifestyle and genetic factors in relation to colorectal carcinogenesis. ..
- CONTROL OF CORTICOTROPIN DURING PREGNANCYMaureen Keller Wood; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, the ability of progesterone to inhibit MR activation will be tested in gel-shift and super-shift assays using specific response elements in the 5HT1A promoter, including a nGRE and the SP-1 site. ..
- MOLECULAR STRUCTURE OF STEROIDSWilliam Duax; Fiscal Year: 2006..Proof of the successful prediction of the structures of 20-30 hypothetical members of the SCOR proteome could provide a model for the prediction of protein folding on the basis of as little as 20% sequence homology. ..
- STRUCTURE/FUNCTION OF C1 CHANNEL GENES IN CILIARY BODIESMiguel Coca Prados; Fiscal Year: 2001..4) To determine the organization of the human pICln and ClC-3 genes at their 5' flanking region. The goal in these studies will be to obtain information from genomic clones of the putative regulatory elements present in these genes. ..
- MATERNAL CORTICOSTEROIDS AND FETAL HOMEOSTASISMaureen Keller Wood; Fiscal Year: 2001..The results of these studies will indicate whether volume homeostasis in the fetus depends on maternal cortisol concentration. ..
- Disruption of the SGk1 gene in aldosterone target cells.ANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2002..abstract_text> ..
- SMITH-LEMLI-OPITZ SYNDROME STEROIDOGENESISCedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2002..Finally, if ring B dehydrosteroids are produced, is the ratio of the individual dehydrometabolites to corresponding conventional metabolites related to the dehydrocholesterol to cholesterol ratio and clinical severity? ..
- STEROIDS /VASCULAR REACTIVITY /NITRIC OXIDE PRODUCTIONMaureen Keller Wood; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies will also to our understanding of the counterbalancing effects of increased cortisol and increased estrogens in control of normal blood pressure in normal pregnancy. ..
- Gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer with EI and CICedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2003..g., malondialdehyde) and markers of DNA damage (incorporation of uracil). Dr Kuypers has several projects on the red cell membrane, which require profiling of fatty acids using EI GC/MS. ..
- ERAB, A BETA, NEUROTOXICITY AND ALZHEIMERS DISEASEShi Du Yan; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- FOLDING OF THE INTRACELLULAR LIPID-BINDING PROTEINSIra Ropson; Fiscal Year: 2003..Single-site mutant proteins will be generated and studied for their effects on the transition state in protein folding. ..
- ALDOSTERONE, HYPERTENSION AND THE BRAINElise Gomez Sanchez; Fiscal Year: 2003..4) Study of the metabolism of aldosterone and corticosterone and the regulation of the synthesis of low polarity derivatives in the brain, including the identification of the sites of formation of aldosterone acyl esters. ..
- DIFFERENTIAL GENE EXPRESSION IN CILIARY EPITHELIUMMiguel Coca Prados; Fiscal Year: 2005..To determine any light-sensing responses in intact and cultured ciliary epithelial cells, by studying the cGMP-gated channel under light and dark conditions. ..
- The Role of RAGE and EAEShi Du Yan; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Nutritional Biochemistry of beta-Carotene DioxygenaseA Andersson; Fiscal Year: 2005..The studies described in this proposal will further our knowledge on vitamin A synthesis from dietary provitamin A carotenoids in man. ..
- Neurosteroids and Smith-Lemli-Optiz SyndromeCedric Shackleton; Fiscal Year: 2005..All studies will require high sensitivity steroid analysis by chemical ionization (CI) GC/MS and HPLC/MS. ..
- ALDO SPECIFICITY OF MINERALOCORTICOID TARGET CELLSANIKO NARAY FEJES TOTH; Fiscal Year: 2009..WT mice, we will identify aldosterone-regulated genes that are not downstream of SGK1. CCD cells will be isolated by immuno-selection, and differentially expressed genes identified using DNA microarrays. ..