Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyridoxal-phosphate protein, believed to be the rate-limiting compound in the biosynthesis of polyamines. It catalyzes the decarboxylation of ornithine to form putrescine, which is then linked to a propylamine moiety of decarboxylated S-adenosylmethionine to form spermidine. EC 18.104.22.168.
Publications182 found, 100 shown here
- Regulation of ornithine decarboxylaseAnthony E Pegg
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 281:14529-32. 2006b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) initiates the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. The amount of ODC is altered in response to many growth factors, oncogenes, and tumor promoters and to changes in polyamine levels...
- Polyamines and cancer: old molecules, new understandingEugene W Gerner
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 4:781-92. 2004..Clinical trials, with well-defined goals, are now underway to evaluate the chemopreventive efficacy of inhibitors of polyamine synthesis in a range of tissues...
- The ornithine decarboxylase gene is essential for cell survival during early murine developmentH Pendeville
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Mol Cell Biol 21:6549-58. 2001Overexpression and inhibitor studies have suggested that the c-Myc target gene for ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the enzyme which converts ornithine to putrescine, plays an important role in diverse biological processes, including cell ..
- Critical factors determining dimerization of human antizyme inhibitorKuo Liang Su
Department of Life Sciences and Institute of Genomics and Bioinformatics, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung
J Biol Chem 284:26768-77. 2009b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the first enzyme involved in polyamine biosynthesis, and it catalyzes the decarboxylation of ornithine to putrescine...
- Relation of skin polyamines to the hairless phenotype in transgenic mice overexpressing spermidine/spermine N-acetyltransferaseM Pietila
A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, Kuopio, Finland
J Invest Dermatol 116:801-5. 2001..the finding that doubly transgenic mice overexpressing, both spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase and ornithine decarboxylase and with extremely high levels of putrescine in the skin, showed distinctly more severe skin changes ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase prevents methotrexate-induced apoptosis by reducing intracellular reactive oxygen species productionC -C Huang
Tzu Hui Institute of Technology, Pingtung, Taiwan, ROC
Apoptosis 10:895-907. 2005..However, the drug resistance of MTX in malignancies remains poorly understood. Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) plays an important role in diverse biological functions, including cell development, ..
- Central role for ornithine decarboxylase in beta-adrenoceptor mediated hypertrophyK D Schluter
Physiologisches Institut, Justus Liebig Universitat, Giessen, Germany
Cardiovasc Res 45:410-7. 2000TGF-beta stimulation of cardiac myocytes induces a hypertrophic responsiveness to beta-adrenoceptor stimulation. This study investigates whether this beta-adrenoceptor mediated effect depends on induction of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC).
- The antizyme family: polyamines and beyondUrsula Mangold
Program in Vascular Biology, Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
IUBMB Life 57:671-6. 2005..They have been shown to inhibit cell proliferation and possess anti-tumor activity. Antizymes bind ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Regulation of cell proliferation by the antizyme inhibitor: evidence for an antizyme-independent mechanismSonia W Kim
Program in Vascular Biology and Department of Surgery, Children s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Cell Sci 119:2583-91. 2006..binds to the regulatory protein antizyme and inhibits the ability of antizyme to interact with the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Antizyme and antizyme inhibitor, a regulatory tangoChaim Kahana
Department of Molecular Genetics, The Weizmann Institute of Science, 76100 Rehovot, Israel
Cell Mol Life Sci 66:2479-88. 2009..Antizymes are themselves regulated at the translational level by the level of polyamines. Antizymes bind ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) subunits and target them to ubiquitin-independent degradation by the 26S proteasome...
- Crystal structure of human ornithine decarboxylase at 2.1 A resolution: structural insights to antizyme bindingJ J Almrud
Department of Chemistry, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, 78712, USA
J Mol Biol 295:7-16. 2000..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC, EC 4.1.1...
- Determinants of proteasome recognition of ornithine decarboxylase, a ubiquitin-independent substrateMingsheng Zhang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
EMBO J 22:1488-96. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is regulated by its metabolic products through a feedback loop that employs a second protein, antizyme 1 (AZ1). AZ1 accelerates the degradation of ODC by the proteasome...
- Increased frequency of spontaneous skin tumors in transgenic mice which overexpress ornithine decarboxylaseL Megosh
Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Cancer Res 55:4205-9. 1995b>Ornithine decarboxylase, a critical regulatory enzyme for polyamine biosynthesis, is highly inducible by growth-promoting stimuli in mouse epidermis but the enzyme level is only transiently elevated due to rapid turnover of the protein...
- Staphylococcus pseudolugdunensis sp. nov., a pyrrolidonyl arylamidase/ornithine decarboxylase-positive bacterium isolated from blood culturesYi Wei Tang
Department of Pathology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, TN 37232, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 60:351-9. 2008..staphylococcal isolates recovered from blood cultures with positive pyrrolidonyl arylamidase and ornithine decarboxylase reactions were identified as Staphylococcus lugdunensis by the clinical microbiology laboratory...
- Oral putrescine restores virulence of ornithine decarboxylase-deficient Leishmania donovani in miceTamara Olenyik
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
Mol Biochem Parasitol 176:109-11. 2011..putrescine as a 1% solution in the drinking water ameliorated the profound loss of virulence exhibited by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) deficient Leishmania donovani in mice...
- Ornithine decarboxylase overexpression is a sufficient condition for tumor promotion in mouse skinT G O'Brien
The Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania 19096, USA
Cancer Res 57:2630-7. 1997In multistage tumorigenesis models, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is usually dysregulated at some point during tumor promotion, an early stage of carcinogenesis...
- Xanthorrhizol inhibits 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced acute inflammation and two-stage mouse skin carcinogenesis by blocking the expression of ornithine decarboxylase, cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase through mitogen-actiWon Yoon Chung
Department of Oral Biology, Yonsei University, College of Dentistry, Seodaemoon Gu, Seoul, Korea
Carcinogenesis 28:1224-31. 2007..underlying the antitumor-promoting activity of xanthorrhizol, its effect on the TPA-induced expression of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2) and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) and the upstream signaling ..
- Discovery of potent and selective inhibitors of Trypanosoma brucei ornithine decarboxylaseDavid C Smithson
Department of Chemical Biology and Therapeutics, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
J Biol Chem 285:16771-81. 2010..The only validated molecular target for treatment of human African trypanosomiasis is ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), which catalyzes the first step in polyamine metabolism...
- X-ray structure determination of Trypanosoma brucei ornithine decarboxylase bound to D-ornithine and to G418: insights into substrate binding and ODC conformational flexibilityLaurie K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, TX 75390-9041, USA
J Biol Chem 278:22037-43. 2003b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (PLP)-dependent enzyme that catalyzes the rate-determining step in the biosynthesis of polyamines. ODC is a proven drug target to treat African sleeping sickness...
- Ornithine decarboxylase prevents tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced apoptosis by decreasing intracellular reactive oxygen speciesG Y Liu
Institute of Immunology, Chung Shan Medical University Hospital, Taichung, Taiwan, Republic of China
Apoptosis 10:569-81. 2005b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) plays an essential role in various biological functions, including cell proliferation, differentiation and cell death. However, how it prevents the cell apoptotic mechanism is still unclear...
- Altering the reaction specificity of eukaryotic ornithine decarboxylaseL K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology and Department of Biochemistry, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390 9041, USA
Biochemistry 39:11247-57. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyzes the first committed step in the biosynthesis of polyamines, and it has been identified as a drug target for the treatment of African sleeping sickness, caused by Trypanosoma brucei...
- Increasing ornithine decarboxylase activity is another way of prolactin preventing methotrexate-induced apoptosis: crosstalk between ODC and BCL-2P C Hsu
Department of Medicine, Da Chien General Hospital, Miao Li, Taiwan, ROC
Apoptosis 11:389-99. 2006..studies, prolactin induced Bcl-2 expression to prevent apoptosis and also provoked the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Docking of antizyme to ornithine decarboxylase and antizyme inhibitor using experimental mutant and double-mutant cycle dataOri Cohavi
Department of Biological Chemistry, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
J Mol Biol 390:503-15. 2009..It has the ability to bind and inhibit ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), targeting it for degradation. Az inhibitor (AzI) impairs the activity of Az...
- Proteasomes begin ornithine decarboxylase digestion at the C terminusMingsheng Zhang
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of California San Francisco, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
J Biol Chem 279:20959-65. 2004..We used the labile enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), which is recognized by the proteasome via a 37-residue C-terminal tag, to answer this question...
- Co-inhibition of Plasmodium falciparum S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase/ornithine decarboxylase reveals perturbation-specific compensatory mechanisms by transcriptome, proteome, and metabolome analysesAnna C van Brummelen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, Gauteng 0002, South Africa
J Biol Chem 284:4635-46. 2009..an anti-malarial strategy, cytostasis caused by the co-inhibition of S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase/ornithine decarboxylase in Plasmodium falciparum was studied with a comprehensive transcriptome, proteome, and metabolome ..
- Targeting ornithine decarboxylase impairs development of MYCN-amplified neuroblastomaRobert J Rounbehler
Department of Cancer Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, Scripps Florida, Jupiter, Florida 33458, USA
Cancer Res 69:547-53. 2009..A key downstream target of Myc oncoproteins in tumorigenesis is ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), the rate-limiting enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis...
- Role of ABC transporter MRPA, gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase and ornithine decarboxylase in natural antimony-resistant isolates of Leishmania donovaniAngana Mukherjee
School of Life Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi 110 067, India
J Antimicrob Chemother 59:204-11. 2007..The present work investigates the mechanism of resistance to SAG in parasites isolated from patients who are unresponsive to SAG...
- Antizyme inhibitor is rapidly induced in growth-stimulated mouse fibroblasts and releases ornithine decarboxylase from antizyme suppressionJ Nilsson
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, Division of Physiology, Umea University, S 901 87 Umea, Sweden
Biochem J 346:699-704. 2000b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) catalyses the first step in the synthesis of the polyamines putrescine, spermidine and spermine...
- Targeting polyamines of Aspergillus nidulans by siRNA specific to fungal ornithine decarboxylase geneMadhu Khatri
Department of Genetics, University of Delhi South Campus, New Delhi, India
Med Mycol 45:211-20. 2007..by RNAi strategy, we have examined the effect of siRNA specific to a key polyamine biosynthesis gene ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) on the in vitro germinating spores of A...
- Targeting ornithine decarboxylase in Myc-induced lymphomagenesis prevents tumor formationJonas A Nilsson
Department of Biochemistry, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Cancer Cell 7:433-44. 2005..Here, we report that disabling one of these Myc targets, Ornithine decarboxylase (Odc), abolishes Myc-induced suppression of the Cdk inhibitors p21(Cip1) and p27(Kip1), thereby impairing ..
- Crystallographic and biochemical studies revealing the structural basis for antizyme inhibitor functionShira Albeck
The Israel Structural Proteomics Center, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot 76100, Israel
Protein Sci 17:793-802. 2008..homeostasis by binding to the polyamine-induced protein, Antizyme (Az), with greater affinity than ornithine decarboxylase (ODC). AzI is highly homologous to ODC but is not enzymatically active...
- Regulation of all members of the antizyme family by antizyme inhibitorUrsula Mangold
Center for Functional Genomics, Aventis Pharma GmbH, 82152 Martinsried, Germany
Biochem J 385:21-8. 2005ODC (ornithine decarboxylase) is the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis. Polyamines are essential for cellular growth and differentiation but enhanced ODC activity is associated with cell transformation...
- The suppression of ornithine decarboxylase expression and cell proliferation at the promotion stage of lung tumorigenesis in mice by alpha-tocopheryloxybutyric acidT Yano
Division of Applied Food Research, National Institute of Health and Nutrition, 1 23 1 Toyama, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 162 8636, Japan
Biochem Pharmacol 61:1177-81. 2001..Similarly, TSE administration inhibited the elevation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and its mRNA at the promotion phase...
- Parasite-specific inserts in the bifunctional S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase/ornithine decarboxylase of Plasmodium falciparum modulate catalytic activities and domain interactionsLyn-Marie Birkholtz
Department of Biochemistry, School of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Natural and Agricultural Sciences, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, 0002, South Africa
Biochem J 377:439-48. 2004..falciparum AdoMetDC (S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase)/ODC (ornithine decarboxylase)] with a molecular mass of 330 kDa...
- Increased expression of ornithine decarboxylase messenger RNA in human esophageal carcinomaK Mafune
Department of Surgery, The University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 5:4073-8. 1999b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is a key enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines, which are essential for cell proliferation. The purpose of this study was to evaluate ODC expression in human esophageal cancer at the mRNA level...
- APC-dependent regulation of ornithine decarboxylase in human colon tumor cellsKimberly E Fultz
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of Arizona, Arizona Cancer Center, Tucson, Arizona 85724, USA
Mol Carcinog 34:10-8. 2002..gene in germline cells of rodents and humans is associated with increased intestinal activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in polyamine synthesis, and intestinal neoplasia...
- Increased expression of ornithine decarboxylase in distal tubules of early diabetic rat kidneys: are polyamines paracrine hypertrophic factors?Aihua Deng
Department of Medicine, University of California and VA San Diego Health Care System, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161 9151, USA
Diabetes 52:1235-9. 2003..They can also contribute to hypertrophy. The activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, increases in the early diabetic kidney to ..
- Polyamine levels of human colorectal adenocarcinomas are correlated with tumor stage and gradeThomas S Weiss
Department of Surgery, University of Regensburg, Franz Josef Strauss Allee 11, 93042 Regensburg, Germany
Int J Colorectal Dis 17:381-7. 2002Cellular proliferation and differentiation are regulated by polyamines and their rate-limiting enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), both of which are correlated with tumor growth, but their role in differentiation is less clear...
- ATP-Dependent inactivation and sequestration of ornithine decarboxylase by the 26S proteasome are prerequisites for degradationY Murakami
Department of Biochemistry 2, Jikei University School of Medicine, Minato ku, Tokyo 105 8461, Japan
Mol Cell Biol 19:7216-27. 1999..b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the only known enzyme to be degraded by the 26S proteasome without ubiquitinylation...
- Inhibition of placental ornithine decarboxylase by DL-alpha-difluoro-methyl ornithine causes fetal growth restriction in ratMakoto Ishida
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Okayama University Medical School, Japan
Life Sci 70:1395-405. 2002..The DL-alpha-difluoromethyl ornithine (DFMO), an irreversible inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) which is a rate limiting enzyme of polyamine synthesis was administrated to pregnant rats so that ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase-antizyme is rapidly degraded through a mechanism that requires functional ubiquitin-dependent proteolytic activityShilpa Gandre
Department of Molecular Genetics, Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel
Eur J Biochem 269:1316-22. 2002Antizyme is a polyamine-induced cellular protein that binds to ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and targets it to rapid ubiquitin-independent degradation by the 26S proteasome. However, the metabolic fate of antizyme is not clear...
- Transcriptional regulation of the ornithine decarboxylase gene by c-Myc/Max/Mad network and retinoblastoma protein interacting with c-MycMerja Auvinen
Department of Pathology, Haartman Institute and Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, P.O. Box 21, 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 35:496-521. 2003..This study indicates that the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene is a physiological transcriptional target of c-Myc in association with induction of cell ..
- Ornithine decarboxylase transgenic mice as a model for human atrichia with papular lesionsA A Panteleyev
Department of Dermatology, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Exp Dermatol 9:146-51. 2000..of DNA synthesis in mouse skin throughout the hair cycle are accompanied by changes in the activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in the synthesis of polyamines, which are actively involved in regulation of normal ..
- Concurrent overexpression of ornithine decarboxylase and spermidine/spermine N(1)-acetyltransferase further accelerates the catabolism of hepatic polyamines in transgenic miceS Suppola
A I Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences, University of Kuopio, P O Box 1627, FIN 70211 Kuopio, Finland
Biochem J 358:343-8. 2001We have generated a hybrid transgenic mouse line overexpressing both ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and spermidine/spermine N(1)-acetyltransferase (SSAT) under the control of the mouse metallothionein (MT) I promoter...
- Multiple active site conformations revealed by distant site mutation in ornithine decarboxylaseLaurie K Jackson
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, Dallas, Texas 75390-9041, USA
Biochemistry 43:12990-9. 2004b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is an obligate homodimer that catalyzes the pyridoxal 5'-phosphate-dependent decarboxylation of l-ornithine to putrescine, a vital step in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Ornithine decarboxylase gene is overexpressed in colorectal carcinomaHai-yan Hu
Experimental Center of Medical Molecular Biology, School of Medicine, Shandong University, Jinan 250012, Shandong Province, China
World J Gastroenterol 11:2244-8. 2005AIM: To investigate the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene expression in colorectal carcinoma, ODC mRNA was assayed by RT-PCR and ODC protein was detected by a monoclonal antibody against fusion of human colon ODC prepared by hybridoma ..
- Inhibition by interferon alpha-2b of rat liver regeneration: effect on ornithine decarboxylase and total protein synthesisC Favre
Institute of Experimental Physiology, National Council of Scientific and Technical Research, Faculty of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences, National University of Rosario, Suipacha 570, Rosario 2000, Argentina
Biochem Pharmacol 61:1587-93. 2001..that interferon-alpha (IFNalpha) decreases putrescine levels in regenerating liver by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity, the main enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis...
- Half-lives of ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activities during the cell cycle of Chinese hamster ovary cellsP S Berntsson
Department of Animal Physiology, Lund University, Helgonavägen 3 B, Lund, SE 223 62, Sweden
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 263:13-6. 1999..Cells were sampled at various times after cycloheximide addition and the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) activities were determined...
- Dynamic expression of ornithine decarboxylase in hair growthM J Nancarrow
Department of Animal Science, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Mech Dev 84:161-4. 1999b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the key enzyme in the synthesis of polyamines, small cationic molecules believed to have a role in many cellular processes such as cell migration, proliferation and differentiation...
- Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) expression pattern in human prostate tissues and ODC transgenic miceLei Young
Blackburn Bld D06, Western Ave, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
J Histochem Cytochem 54:223-9. 2006b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the key enzyme in the polyamine synthesis pathway and is overexpressed in a variety of cancers...
- uORFs with unusual translational start codons autoregulate expression of eukaryotic ornithine decarboxylase homologsIvaylo P Ivanov
Biosciences Institute, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105:10079-84. 2008..Here, conserved uORFs in numerous ornithine decarboxylase homologs are identified from yeast to mammals...
- Involvement of ribonuclease III in the enhancement of expression of the speF-potE operon encoding inducible ornithine decarboxylase and polyamine transport proteinK Kashiwagi
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 200:591-7. 1994Since the speF-potE operon (pPT71 clone) encoding inducible ornithine decarboxylase (iODC) and polyamine transport potE protein is inducible at acidic pH, a gene encoding a protein involved in the enhancement of expression of the operon ..
- Overexpression of a dominant-negative ornithine decarboxylase in mouse skin: effect on enzyme activity and papilloma formationLisa M Shantz
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Carcinogenesis 23:657-64. 2002A transgenic mouse line expressing a truncated form of the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) dominant-negative mutant K69A/C360A under the control of the keratin 6 promoter has been established (K6/ODCdn mice)...
- Expression and post-transcriptional regulation of ornithine decarboxylase during early Xenopus developmentH B Osborne
Laboratoire de biologie et genetique du developpement, URA 256 CNRS, Universite de Rennes I, France
Eur J Biochem 202:575-81. 1991In this paper we show that large changes in ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity occurred during early Xenopus development...
- Regulatory mutations affecting ornithine decarboxylase activity in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeM S Cohn
J Bacteriol 142:791-9. 1980..spe 10 is probably a regulatory gene rather than the structural gene for ornithine decarboxylase, since we isolated two different mutations which bypassed spe10 mutants; these were spe4, an unliked ..
- Targeting ornithine decarboxylase for the prevention of nonmelanoma skin cancer in humansCraig A Elmets
Department of Dermatology, UAB Skin Diseases Research Center and UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, 35294 0019, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 3:8-11. 2010..DFMO is an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase, a key enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. This perspective on Bailey et al...
- Ornithine decarboxylase polymorphism modification of response to aspirin treatment for colorectal adenoma preventionElizabeth L R Barry
Department of Community and Family Medicine, Dartmouth Medical School, 46 Centerra Parkway, Ste 300, Lebanon, NH 03766, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 98:1494-500. 2006Previous research suggests that the G315A single-nucleotide polymorphism in the ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) gene may be a genetic marker for risk of colorectal neoplasia and may also modify the association of aspirin use with risk.
- Bacillus anthracis endospores regulate ornithine decarboxylase and inducible nitric oxide synthase through ERK1/2 and p38 mitogen-activated protein kinasesSupatra Porasuphatana
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, 40002, Thailand
Curr Microbiol 61:567-73. 2010..and the lethal toxin (LT) in mediating signaling pathways responsible for the induction of NOS2 and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), which is the rate-limiting enzyme in the conversion of L-ornithine into polyamines...
- Genetic polymorphism in ornithine decarboxylase and risk of breast cancerIain Brown
School of Medicine and Dentistry, College of Life Sciences and Medicine, University of Aberdeen, Medical School, Foresterhill, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Fam Cancer 8:307-11. 2009b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in the biosynthesis of polyamines, has increased activity in breast cancer tissue compared with benign and normal tissues...
- Co-operation between follicular ornithine decarboxylase and v-Ha-ras induces spontaneous papillomas and malignant conversion in transgenic skinM K Smith
Lankenau Medical Research Center, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Carcinogenesis 19:1409-15. 1998b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is aberrantly regulated in tumor cells and results in high basal levels of ODC and polyamines in many epithelial tumors...
- Leishmania donovani ornithine decarboxylase is indispensable for parasite survival in the mammalian hostJan M Boitz
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239 3098, USA
Infect Immun 77:756-63. 2009..To address this issue, conditionally lethal Deltaodc mutants lacking ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the rate-limiting enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, were created by double targeted gene ..
- Cytoplasmic accumulation of the RNA-binding protein HuR stabilizes the ornithine decarboxylase transcript in a murine nonmelanoma skin cancer modelShannon L Nowotarski
Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
J Biol Chem 285:31885-94. 2010b>Ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) is the first and usually rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway. Under normal physiological conditions, polyamine content and ODC enzyme activity are highly regulated...
- Albumin stimulates cell growth, l-arginine transport, and metabolism to polyamines in human proximal tubular cellsNeil Ashman
Department of Clinical Chemistry, University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom
Kidney Int 67:1878-89. 2005..We investigated a role for arginine and its metabolites, the polyamines, in this process, given the ability of polyamines to trigger proliferation in other mammalian cells...
- Metabolic and antiproliferative consequences of activated polyamine catabolism in LNCaP prostate carcinoma cellsKristin Kee
Grace Cancer Drug Center, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York 14263, USA
J Biol Chem 279:27050-8. 2004..and spermine pools were maintained at or above control levels by a robust compensatory increase in ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase activities...
- Molecular and morphological changes in placenta and embryo development associated with the inhibition of polyamine synthesis during midpregnancy in miceCarlos Lopez-Garcia
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology B and Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Campus de Espinardo, 30100 Murcia, Spain
Endocrinology 149:5012-23. 2008Polyamines play an essential role in murine development, as demonstrated by both gene ablation in ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)-deficient embryos and pharmacological treatments of pregnant mice...
- Effect of diethylstilbestrol on polyamine metabolism in hamster epididymisChun-Hong Qiu
Department of Biochemistry, Dokkyo University School of Medicine, Mibu, 321-0293 Tochigi, Japan
Asian J Androl 5:301-6. 2003..The activity of epididymal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) increased 1 day after DES treatment, kept at a high level for 4 days and then decreased to nearly ..
- Uptake of GABA and putrescine by UGA4 on the vacuolar membrane in Saccharomyces cerevisiaeTakeshi Uemura
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chiba University, 1 33 Yayoi cho, Inage Ku, Chiba 263 8522, Japan
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 315:1082-7. 2004..The UGA4 mRNA was induced by exposure to GABA, but not putrescine over 12h. The growth of an ornithine decarboxylase-deficient strain was enhanced by putrescine, and both putrescine and spermidine contents increased, when ..
- Lytic infection of pseudorabies virus in the presence of spermine, spermidine, or DFMOHsien-Chi Wang
Department of Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, National Chung-Hsing University, Taichung, 402, Taiwan
Virus Res 94:121-7. 2003The effects of polyamines (spermine or spermidine) and DFMO (an ornithine decarboxylase inhibitor) on the infection of LM (tk-) cells by pseudorabies virus (PRV) were investigated...
- Polyamines regulate eukaryotic initiation factor 4E-binding protein 1 gene transcriptionA H Stephenson
Department of Physiology, Brody School of Medicine, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 323:204-12. 2004..Steady-state concentration of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), the first enzyme in the polyamine biosynthetic pathway, was increased in response to polyamine ..
- Changes in free polyamines and related enzymes during stipule and pod wall development in Pisum sativumSoumen Chattopadhyay
Plant Physiology Laboratory, Department of Botany, Bose Institute, Calcutta 700 009, India
Indian J Exp Biol 40:945-9. 2002..titre (per unit fresh mass) in both the organs, the specific activities of arginine decarboxylase and ornithine decarboxylase in the pod wall, gradually decreased with maturation...
- Polyamines in cultured rabbit corneal cellsHaiming Du
Department of Physiology, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:2512-7. 2003..polyamines can be depleted by blocking the first rate-limiting enzyme in the polyamine synthesis pathway, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and whether polyamines are required for proliferation in all three corneal cell types...
- Inhibition of the development of metastatic squamous cell carcinoma in protein kinase C epsilon transgenic mice by alpha-difluoromethylornithine accompanied by marked hair follicle degeneration and hair lossDeric L Wheeler
Department of Human Oncology, Medical School, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53762, USA
Cancer Res 63:3037-42. 2003..TPA treatment induced epidermal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) activity and putrescine levels approximately 3-4-fold more in PKC epsilon transgenic mice than ..
- RhoA stimulates IEC-6 cell proliferation by increasing polyamine-dependent Cdk2 activityHuazhang Guo
Dept of Physiology, Univ of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 285:G704-13. 2003..cell lines were grown in the presence or absence of DFMO, which causes polyamine depletion by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase, the first rate-limiting step in polyamine synthesis...
- Polyamines play a critical role in the control of the innate immune response in the mouse central nervous systemDenis Soulet
Laboratory of Molecular Endocrinology, CHUL Research Center, Laval University, Quebec, Canada G1V 4G2
J Cell Biol 162:257-68. 2003..Indeed, systemic lipopolysaccharide (LPS) administration increased ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) mRNA and protein within neurons and microglia across the mouse central nervous system (CNS)...
- Inhibition of polyamine biosynthesis in Acanthamoeba castellanii and 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate-induced ornithine decarboxylase activity by chitosanoligosaccharideYun-Hee Shon
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine and Intractable Disease Research Center, Dongguk University, Kyongju 780-714, Korea
Biotechnol Lett 25:701-4. 2003..8 mM. Chitosanoligosaccharide strongly inhibited the induction of ornithine decarboxylase by 12-O-tetradecanoylphorbol-13-acetate, a key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis, which is enhanced in ..
- EGFR plays a pivotal role in the regulation of polyamine-dependent apoptosis in intestinal epithelial cellsRamesh M Ray
Department of Physiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA
Cell Signal 19:2519-27. 2007Intracellular polyamine synthesis is regulated by the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and its inhibition by alpha-difluromethylornithine (DFMO), confers resistance to apoptosis...
- Protective role of arginase in a mouse model of colitisAlain P Gobert
Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology, School of Medicine, University of Maryland, and Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Immunol 173:2109-17. 2004..Importantly, arginase synthesizes ornithine, which is metabolized by the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) to produce polyamines...
- Endogenous polyamine levels in macrophages is sufficient to support growth of Toxoplasma gondiiSergio Henrique Seabra
, , , Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, , Rio de Janeiro 21941-590, RJ, Brazil
J Parasitol 90:455-60. 2004..gondii survival and multiplication...
- Polyamine depletion reduces TNFalpha/MG132-induced apoptosis in bone marrow stromal cellsClaudio Muscari
Department of Biochemistry G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, Via Irnerio 48, 40126 Bologna, Italy
Stem Cells 23:983-91. 2005..for an additional 2 days in the presence of 1 mM alpha-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase, which reduced the content of both putrescine and spermidine by nearly 90%...
- Revival of 2-(difluoromethyl)ornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of polyamine biosynthesis, as a cancer chemopreventive agentF Raul
INSERM U682, University Louis Pasteur EA 3430, Laboratory of Nutritional Cancer Prevention, IRCAD, 1 Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Biochem Soc Trans 35:353-5. 2007ODC (ornithine decarboxylase), a key enzyme of polyamine biosynthesis, is an inducible enzyme exhibiting high activity in tumour cells, suggesting ODC as a target for antineoplastic therapy...
- Sexual dimorphism of ornithine decarboxylase in the mouse adrenal: influence of polyamine deprivation on catecholamine and corticoid levelsCarmen M Bastida
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Murcia, Murcia, Spain
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E1010-7. 2007..marked sexual dimorphism affecting not only gland size and corticoid hormone secretion but also adrenal ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), polyamine, and catecholamine levels in which testosterone appears to be a major determinant...
- Polyamines are involved in murine kidney development controlling expression of c-ret, E-cadherin, and Pax2/8 genesIldikó Loikkanen
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, PO Box 3000, FIN 90014 Oulu, Finland
Differentiation 73:303-12. 2005..the polyamine pools with alpha-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an irreversible suicide inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Inhibitors of polyamine biosynthesis decrease the expression of the metalloproteases meprin alpha and MMP-7 in hormone-independent human breast cancer cellsGail L Matters
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, H171, Hershey, PA 17033-0850, USA
Clin Exp Metastasis 22:331-9. 2005Inhibition of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in polyamine biosynthesis, by the irreversible inhibitor alpha-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) has been shown to decrease the invasiveness of metastatic human breast cancer cell ..
- Modulation of cell proliferation and polyamine metabolism in rat liver cell cultures by the iron chelator O-trensoxFrancois Gaboriau
INSERM, U522, Hopital Pontchaillou, F 35033, Rennes Cedex, France
Biometals 19:623-32. 2006..Altogether, our data provide insights that, in the three rat liver cell culture models, the cytostatic effect of the iron chelator O-trensox may be the addition of two mechanisms: iron and polyamine depletion...
- Polyamine metabolism in sunflower plants under long-term cadmium or copper stressM D Groppa
Departamento de Quimica Biologica, Facultad de Farmacia y Bioquimica, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Amino Acids 32:265-75. 2007..Both ADC and ODC activities were increased by 1 mM Cd, whereas 1 mM Cu enhanced ADC activity, but reduced ODC activity at every concentration used. The role of Pas as markers of Cd or Cu toxicity is discussed...
- Effects of polyamines on two strains of Trypanosoma brucei in infected rats and in vitro cultureKazuhiko Nishimura
Course of Veterinary Science, Graduate School Life and Environmental Sciences, Osaka Prefecture University 1 1, Gakuencho, Sakai, Osaka 599 8531, Japan
J Parasitol 92:211-7. 2006..4 strain (IL). No difference was found in activity of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), a key enzyme in polyamine synthesis in trypanosomes, in both strains maintained in vitro; higher (..
- Role of polyamines in peach fruit development and storageJihong Liu
Department of Plant, Cell and Environment, National Institute of Fruit Tree Science, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305 8605, Japan
Tree Physiol 26:791-8. 2006..Activities of arginine decarboxylase (ADC) and ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) peaked during the first stage of fruit development and then decreased until 80 DAF, after which the ..
- p53-dependent NDRG1 expression induces inhibition of intestinal epithelial cell proliferation but not apoptosis after polyamine depletionAi Hong Zhang
Dept of Surgery, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C379-89. 2007..Depletion of cellular polyamines by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) with alpha-difluoromethylornithine not only induced p53 but also increased NDRG1 transcription as ..
- Dietary putrescine reduces the intestinal anticarcinogenic activity of sulindac in a murine model of familial adenomatous polyposisNatalia A Ignatenko
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Arizona Cancer Center, The University of Arizona, Tucson, USA
Nutr Cancer 56:172-81. 2006..Sulindac also decreased the activity of the biosynthetic enzyme ornithine decarboxylase but not adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AMD)...
- Assessing the polyamine metabolism of Plasmodium falciparum as chemotherapeutic targetIngrid B Müller
Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Bernhard Nocht Strasse 74, 20359 Hamburg, Germany
Mol Biochem Parasitol 160:1-7. 2008More than 30 years ago the potent ornithine decarboxylase inhibitor difluoromethylornithine (DFMO) was designed as new anticancer drug...
- [Effects of salt stress on cucumber seedlings root growth and polyamine metabolism]Jiu Ju Duan
College of Horticulture, Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing 210095, China
Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao 19:57-64. 2008..NaCl stress caused an increase of arginine decarboxylase (ADC), ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (SAMDC) activities in cucumber roots, which was much greater ..
- Polyamine metabolism during sclerotial development of Sclerotinia sclerotiorumAndrés Gárriz
Instituto de Investigaciones Biotecnologicas, Universidad Nacional de General San Martín Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Casilla de Correo 164, 7130 Chascomus, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Mycol Res 112:414-22. 2008..Concentrations of the triamine spermidine and the tetramine spermine, as well as ornithine decarboxylase and S-adenosyl-methionine decarboxylase activities, decreased during sclerotia maturation...
- Effect of the polyamine analogue N1,N11-diethylnorspermine on cell survival and susceptibility to apoptosis of human chondrocytesIvana Stanic
Dipartimento di Biochimica G Moruzzi, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Cell Physiol 216:153-61. 2008..Moreover, these results indicate that a reduction of polyamine levels not only leads to inhibition of cell proliferation, but also of caspase-mediated pathways of chondrocyte apoptosis...
- Polyamines are essential in embryo implantation: expression and function of polyamine-related genes in mouse uterus during peri-implantation periodYue chao Zhao
Key Laboratory of the Ministry of Education for Cell Biology and Tumor Cell Engineering, College of Life Science, Xiamen University, Xiamen 361005, China
Endocrinology 149:2325-32. 2008Polyamines are key regulators in cell growth and differentiation. It has been shown that ornithine decarboxylase (Odc) was essential for post-implantation embryo development, and overexpression of spermidine/spermine N1-acetyltransferase ..
- Depletion of polyamines and increase of transforming growth factor-beta1, c-myc, collagen-type I, matrix metalloproteinase-1, and metalloproteinase-2 mRNA in primary human gingival fibroblastsGiordano Stabellini
Department of Human Morphology Interdisciplinary Laboratories of Advanced Technologies, Segrate, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Periodontol 76:443-9. 2005..Their cellular content depends primarily on the activity of the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase. High levels of ornithine decarboxylase and polyamines have been found in proliferative, inflammatory, ..
- Targeting the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes: a promising approach to therapy of African sleeping sickness, Chagas' disease, and leishmaniasisO Heby
Department of Molecular Biology, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
Amino Acids 33:359-66. 2007..Consequently, enzymes involved in spermidine synthesis and utilization, i.e. arginase, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), spermidine synthase, trypanothione synthetase (TryS)..
- Polyamines are required for expression of Toll-like receptor 2 modulating intestinal epithelial barrier integrityJie Chen
Department of Surgery, Baltimore Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 10 North Greene Street, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 293:G568-76. 2007..Depletion of cellular polyamines by inhibiting ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) with alpha-difluoromethylornithine decreased levels of TLR2 mRNA and protein, whereas increased ..
- Polyamines upregulate the mRNA expression of cationic amino acid transporter-1 in human retinal pigment epithelial cellsShiho Kaneko
Department of Ophthalmology, Kansai Medical University, Moriguchi, Osaka, Japan
Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 293:C729-37. 2007..expression was increased by ornithne in OAT-deficient RPE cells, which was reversed by an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), alpha-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO)...
- Combination therapy with 2-difluoromethylornithine and a polyamine transport inhibitor against murine squamous cell carcinomaYan Chen
Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, Wynnewood, PA 19096, USA
Int J Cancer 118:2344-9. 2006..The therapy combined 2-difluoromethylornithine (DFMO), an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), and MQT 1426, a polyamine transport inhibitor...
- Polyamine metabolism is altered in unpollinated parthenocarpic pat-2 tomato ovariesMariano Fos
Departmento de Biologia Vegetal, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia, 46022 Valencia, Spain
Plant Physiol 131:359-66. 2003....
- Effects of ornithine 2-oxoglutarate on neutrophils in stressed rats: evidence for the involvement of nitric oxide and polyaminesChristophe Moinard
Laboratoire de Biochimie, Biologie Moléculaire et Nutrition EA 2416 and Centre de Recherche en Nutrition Humaine, Faculte de Pharmacie, 63001 Clermont Ferrand, France
Clin Sci (Lond) 102:287-95. 2002..an inhibitor of inducible nitric oxide synthase) and difluoromethylornithine (an inhibitor of ornithine decarboxylase)...
- Immunomodulatory effects of arginine supplementation in colitis and colon cancerKeith T Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Arginase generates L-ornithine, the substrate for the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) that produces polyamines, which have been shown to enhance wound repair and have been implicated as ..
- Immunomodulatory effects of arginine supplementation in colitis and colon cancerKeith Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2009..Arginase generates L-ornithine, the substrate for the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) that produces polyamines, which have been shown to enhance wound repair and have been implicated as ..
- Polyamine Metabolism in LeishmaniaBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2006..The proposal will focus on arginase (ARG), agmatinase (AGM), ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (ADOMETDC), and spermidine synthase (SYN), the entire ..
- TRYPANOSMIASIS--MOLECULAR APPROACHES TO CHEMOTHERAPYMargaret Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have identified three drug targets, ornithine decarboxylase (ODC), S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (SAMDC) and gamma-glutamylcysteine synthetase (gammaGCS), which ..
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..polyamine inhibitors, DFMO and SAM486A, which specifically inhibit the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), respectively...
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2007..polyamine inhibitors, DFMO and SAM486A, which specifically inhibit the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), respectively...
- Role of Polyamines in MYCN-Amplified NeuroblastomaANDRE BACHMANN; Fiscal Year: 2009..polyamine inhibitors, DFMO and SAM486A, which specifically inhibit the polyamine biosynthetic enzymes ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC), respectively...
- REGULATION OF GLYCOSOMAL BIOGENESIS IN T. BRUCEIC Wang; Fiscal Year: 1993..This observation has ruled out any key role by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) during the differentiation of T. brucei as originally anticipated...
- Polyamine Metabolism in LeishmaniaBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The proposal will focus primarily on the L. donovani ornithine decarboxylase (LdODC) enzyme but will also impact upon other components of the polyamine pathway as well, including ..
- Polyamine Metabolism in LeishmaniaBuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposal will focus primarily on the L. donovani ornithine decarboxylase (LdODC) enzyme but will also impact upon other components of the polyamine pathway as well, including ..
- GENETIC ANALYSIS OF PURINE METABOLISM IN LEISHMANIABuddy Ullman; Fiscal Year: 1993..the purine phosphoribosyltransferases, the pterin-folate pathway, and the polyamine pathway and ornithine decarboxylase. An affinity labeling protocol will be developed further to identify the two leishmanial nucleoside ..
- Targeting S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase for HAT drug discoveryMargaret A Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2010..The polyamine biosynthetic enzymes, including ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) and S-adenosylmethionine decarboxylase (AdoMetDC) are essential to the parasite...
- FACSVantage SE UpgradeRAYMOND HESTER; Fiscal Year: 2004..neuropathy, ataxia, retinitis pigmentosa) and MILS (maternally inherited Leigh Syndrome), 9) role of ornithine decarboxylase in the endothelial cell toxin, monocrotaline, 10) role of activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule and ..
- H pylori Induced DNA Damage and Immune DysregulationKeith Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2009..of polyamines, which occurs by activation of arginase that converts L-arginine to Lornithine, and of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC) that converts L-ornithine to the polyamines putrescine, spermidine, and spermine...
- HMG-CoA Reductase and Polyamine Inhibitors for Prevention of Colorectal CancerChinthalapally V Rao; Fiscal Year: 2010..Colon tumor cells produce high levels of polyamines endogenously through the activation of ornithine decarboxylase (ODC)...
- Polyamine and glutathione metabolism in trypanosomes.Margaret Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2007..The first committed step in the biosynthesis of polyamines is catalyzed by ornithine decarboxylase (ODC). This enzyme is one of the few validated targets for the treatment of parasitic diseases...