Genomes and Genes
racemases and epimerases
Summary: Enzymes that catalyze inversion of the configuration around an asymmetric carbon in a substrate having one (racemase) or more (epimerase) center(s) of asymmetry. (Dorland, 28th ed) EC 5.1.
Publications167 found, 100 shown here
- Expression of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (P504s) in various malignant neoplasms and normal tissues: astudy of 761 casesZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Hum Pathol 34:792-6. 2003..Our data provide important baseline information for using AMACR in clinical practice and also are valuable in furthering understanding of the pathogenic role of AMACR in malignant neoplasms...
- Polymorphism in the 5'-promoter region of serine racemase gene in schizophreniaA Y Goltsov
Mol Psychiatry 11:325-6. 2006
- A novel diagnostic test for prostate cancer emerges from the determination of alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme a racemase in prostatic secretionsP J Zielie
Departments of Surgery (Division of Urology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 364 Plantation Street, Worcester, MA 01605-2324, USA
J Urol 172:1130-3. 2004..Furthermore, early results demonstrate a trend toward excluding patients with clinically insignificant disease that may not yet require aggressive treatment due to a low cancer burden...
- Diagnostic utility of a p63/alpha-methyl-CoA-racemase (p504s) cocktail in atypical foci in the prostateVincent Molinie
Service de Pathologie, Hopital Foch, Suresnes, France
Mod Pathol 17:1180-90. 2004....
- Characterization and localization of a human serine racemaseMenghang Xia
Merck Research Laboratory, Department of Molecular Pharmacology, Merck and Co, Inc, 770 Sumneytown Pike, West Point, PA 19486, USA
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 125:96-104. 2004..Furthermore, its presence in human periphery such as in heart and kidney suggest a potential biological role for D-serine in the regulation of N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor activity in these peripheral organs as well...
- Design, synthesis, and in vitro testing of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase inhibitorsAndrew J Carnell
Department of Chemistry, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZD, United Kingdom
J Med Chem 50:2700-7. 2007....
- Humoral immune response to alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase and prostate cancerArun Sreekumar
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0602, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 96:834-43. 2004..CONCLUSION: Assays to detect a humoral immune response against AMACR may have the potential to supplement PSA screening in identifying patients with clinically significant prostate cancer, especially those with intermediate PSA levels...
- Expression of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (P504S) in nephrogenic adenoma: a significant immunohistochemical pitfall compounding the differential diagnosis with prostatic adenocarcinomaBrian F Skinnider
Department of Pathology, Vancouver Hospital and Health Sciences Center and University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
Am J Surg Pathol 28:701-5. 2004....
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase/P504S overexpression in colorectal carcinoma is correlated with tumor differentiationXueying Shi
Department of Pathology, School of Basic Medical Sciences, Peking University, Beijing, China
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 15:175-80. 2007..No relation was found between AMACR expression and overall survival. Our findings support the view that the expression of AMACR in CRC is correlated with tumor differentiation...
- An analysis of the p63/alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase immunohistochemical cocktail stain in prostate needle biopsy specimens and tissue microarraysSchuyler O Sanderson
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 121:220-5. 2004..The p63/P504S immunohistochemical stain is a sensitive, specific marker for prostatic adenocarcinoma and HPIN and useful in the evaluation of AASA in biopsy specimens...
- Elevated alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase enzymatic activity in prostate cancerChandan Kumar-Sinha
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-0602, USA
Am J Pathol 164:787-93. 2004..Taken together, our studies suggest that AMACR activity is increased in prostate cancer relative to benign epithelia and suggests that monitoring AMACR activity levels in prostate needle biopsies may have clinical applications...
- P504S immunostaining boosts diagnostic resolution of "suspicious" foci in prostatic needle biopsy specimensZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 121:99-107. 2004..Thus, the consensus diagnosis rate improved from poor to good after supplementing 34 beta E12 immunostaining with P504S...
- A dietary enzyme: alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase/P504S is overexpressed in colon carcinomaZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Room H2 436, 55 Lake Avenue, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Cancer Detect Prev 27:422-6. 2003..AMACR may also serve as a molecular marker for colon cancers and its precursor lesions...
- Diagnostic usefulness of monoclonal antibody P504S in the workup of atypical prostatic glandular proliferationsLakshmi P Kunju
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 120:737-45. 2003..Most HGPINs show diffuse moderate P504S staining. AAH may show focal P504S staining. We recommend using P504S along with morphologic examination and conventional basal cell markers...
- Polymorphic variants in alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase and prostate cancerSarah E Daugherty
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
Prostate 67:1487-97. 2007..Significant differences in AMACR allele frequencies have been reported for hereditary prostate cancer (HPC), but the relevance of AMACR in the context of its substrates have not been studied...
- Spatiotemporal relationships among D-serine, serine racemase, and D-amino acid oxidase during mouse postnatal developmentLi-Zhen Wang
Department of Pharmacology, Institute of Materia Medica, Institutes for Biological Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai 200031, China
Acta Pharmacol Sin 24:965-74. 2003..DAO in cerebellum and kidney might have other physiological functions in addition to degrading D-amino acid...
- Expression of alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme A racemase in nephrogenic adenomaAnita Gupta
Department of Pathology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 28:1224-9. 2004..These findings could be explained by possible renal tubular origin or renal differentiation, at least in a subset, of nephrogenic adenomas...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a multi-institutional study of a new prostate cancer markerZ Jiang
University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Histopathology 45:218-25. 2004..To test whether alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) is a sensitive and specific marker of prostate cancer...
- Serine racemase protein expression in cortex and hippocampus in schizophreniaAmy E Steffek
Molecular and Behavioral Neuroscience Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Neuroreport 17:1181-5. 2006....
- Differences between latent and clinical prostate carcinomas: lower cell proliferation activity in latent casesSeishiro Takahashi
Department of Experimental Pathology and Tumor Biology, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kawasumi, Nagoya, Japan
Prostate 66:211-7. 2006..The characterization of the latent cancer may be important to investigate differences between latent and clinical prostate cancers...
- Utility of alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase (p504s antibody) as a diagnostic immunohistochemical marker for cancerAziza Nassar
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 13:252-5. 2005..It may be a useful adjunct to an immunohistochemical panel employed in the differential diagnosis of colon versus ovarian and breast carcinoma; the latter two infrequently express AMACR...
- Identification of multiple serine racemase (SRR) mRNA isoforms and genetic analyses of SRR and DAO in schizophrenia and D-serine levelsKazuo Yamada
Laboratory for Molecular Psychiatry, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Wako, Saitama, Japan
Biol Psychiatry 57:1493-503. 2005....
- Expression of the mRNA and protein of serine racemase in primary cultures of rat neuronsMasanobu Yoshikawa
Department of Clinical Pharmacology, Tokai University School of Medicine, Isehara, Kanagawa 259-1143, Japan
Eur J Pharmacol 548:74-6. 2006..These data are the first to demonstrate that a substantial amount of serine racemase exists in the cultured neurons...
- Regulation of serine racemase activity by D-serine and nitric oxide in human glioblastoma cellsKazuo Shoji
Biochemistry Section, Department of Neuroscience and Vision, University of Verona, Italy
Neurosci Lett 392:75-8. 2006..These results suggest that serine racemase activity in astrocyte is regulated inversely by d-serine and NO. SR should be inhibited through nitrosylation by NO and activated through denitrosylation elicited by D-serine...
- A nonclassic CCAAT enhancer element binding protein binding site contributes to alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase expression in prostate cancerShan Zha
Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Mol Cancer Res 3:110-8. 2005..These results implicate a nonclassic CCAAT enhancer element in the AMACR gene promoter as playing a critical role in the regulation of AMACR gene expression...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR/P504S) can distinguish hepatocellular carcinoma and dysplastic hepatocytes from benign nondysplastic hepatocytesGrace Guzman
Department of Pathology, University of Illinois at Chicago Medical Center UICMC, College of Medicine, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 14:411-6. 2006..Prospective studies are needed to determine whether staining for AMACR can distinguish HCC or dysplasia in cytologic and small histologic specimens...
- A CSF and postmortem brain study of D-serine metabolic parameters in schizophreniaInna Bendikov
Department of Biochemistry, B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 31096, Israel
Schizophr Res 90:41-51. 2007..Our results suggest that reduced brain serine racemase and elevated D-amino acid oxidase protein levels may contribute to the lower CSF D-serine levels in schizophrenia...
- Prospective evaluation of AMACR (P504S) and basal cell markers in the assessment of routine prostate needle biopsy specimensTara-Jane Browne
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Hum Pathol 35:1462-8. 2004..However, a limitation of this approach is the loss of tissue in these small lesions, suggesting that combining AMACR and the BCC on a single slide would be superior to using either marker separately...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) expression in normal prostatic glands and high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN): association with diagnosis of prostate cancerVijayalakshmi Ananthanarayanan
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Prostate 63:341-6. 2005..AMACR expression in normal glands therefore might be a useful predictor for repeat biopsy outcomes or as an intermediate endpoint in chemoprevention studies...
- Serine racemase modulates intracellular D-serine levels through an alpha,beta-elimination activityVeronika N Foltyn
Department of Biochemistry, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, The B Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Biol Chem 280:1754-63. 2005..Extracellular D-serine is more stable toward alpha,beta-elimination, likely due to physical separation from serine racemase and its elimination activity...
- Nitric oxide S-nitrosylates serine racemase, mediating feedback inhibition of D-serine formationAsif K Mustafa
Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:2950-5. 2007..These findings support a model whereby postsynaptic stimulation of nitric-oxide (NO) formation feeds back to presynaptic cells to S-nitrosylate SR and decrease D-serine availability to postsynaptic NMDA receptors...
- No association between the serine racemase gene (SRR) and schizophrenia in a German case-control sampleJana Strohmaier
Division of Genetic Epidemiology, Central Institute of Mental Health, Mannheim, Germany
Psychiatr Genet 17:125. 2007
- Distribution and MK-801-induced expression of serine racemase mRNA in rat brain by real-time quantitative PCRMasanobu Yoshikawa
Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Tokai University, Isehara, Kanagawa 259 1143, Japan
Brain Res Mol Brain Res 128:90-4. 2004..The present findings suggest that there is a link between the expression of serine racemase mRNA and the activity of the NMDA receptors...
- Sequence variation in alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase and risk of early-onset and familial prostate cancerAlbert M Levin
Department of Human Genetics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0618, USA
Prostate 67:1507-13. 2007..An initial study has also suggested that the risk of familial (but not sporadic) prostate cancer may be associated with germline variation in the AMACR gene...
- Dihydroneopterin triphosphate epimerase of Escherichia coli: purification, genetic cloning, and expressionC Haussmann
Institut fur Organische Chemie und Biochemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Garching, Federal Republic of Germany
J Bacteriol 179:949-51. 1997..The cognate gene was cloned, sequenced, expressed, and mapped to kb 2427 on the E. coli chromosome...
- Sequence variants of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase are associated with prostate cancer riskSiqun L Zheng
Center for Human Genomics, Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston Salem, North Carolina 27157, USA
Cancer Res 62:6485-8. 2002..00006), especially in the subset of families whose probands carry the "A-A" haplotype of M9V and D175G (log of odds = 4.34; P = 0.000008). These results suggest that sequence variants in AMACR may be associated with CaP risk...
- Cofactors of serine racemase that physiologically stimulate the synthesis of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor coagonist D-serineJoari De Miranda
Department of Biochemistry, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro RJ 21941 590, Brazil
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 99:14542-7. 2002..Our data link the production of d-serine to the energy metabolism, with implications for the metabolic and transmitter crosstalk between glia and neurons...
- P504S/alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a useful marker for diagnosis of small foci of prostatic carcinoma on needle biopsyZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1169-74. 2002..Using a combination of P504S and 34betaE12 can help the diagnosis of limited prostatic adenocarcinoma on needle biopsy...
- alpha-Methylacyl-CoA racemase: expression levels of this novel cancer biomarker depend on tumor differentiationRainer Kuefer
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109 0602, USA
Am J Pathol 161:841-8. 2002..Taken together, these data suggest that AMACR expression is not hormone-dependent but may in fact be a marker of tumor differentiation...
- Alpha-Methylacyl-CoA racemase: a novel tumor marker over-expressed in several human cancers and their precursor lesionsMing Zhou
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:926-31. 2002..In conclusion, our study suggests that AMACR is potentially an important tumor marker for several cancers and their precursor lesions, especially those linked to high-fat diets...
- Expression of alpha-Methylacyl-CoA racemase (P504S) in atypical adenomatous hyperplasia of the prostateXiming J Yang
Department of Pathology, University of Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:921-5. 2002..Because most cases of AAH are negative for P504S, immunostaining of P504S is also of diagnostic value in distinguishing the majority of AAHs from prostatic adenocarcinoma...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a new molecular marker for prostate cancerJun Luo
Department of Pathology, Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Cancer Res 62:2220-6. 2002....
- Glutamatergic regulation of serine racemase via reversal of PIP2 inhibitionAsif K Mustafa
Solomon H Snyder Department of Neuroscience, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:2921-6. 2009..Thus mutants of SR that cannot bind PIP2 lose their membrane localizations and display a 4-fold enhancement of catalytic activity. Moreover, mGluR5 activation of SR activity is abolished by inhibiting phospholipase C...
- alpha-Methylacyl coenzyme A racemase as a tissue biomarker for prostate cancerMark A Rubin
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0602, USA
JAMA 287:1662-70. 2002..Molecular profiling of prostate cancer has led to the identification of candidate biomarkers and regulatory genes. Discoveries from these genome-scale approaches may have applicability in the analysis of diagnostic prostate specimens...
- Stereochemistry of the peroxisomal branched-chain fatty acid alpha- and beta-oxidation systems in patients suffering from different peroxisomal disordersS Ferdinandusse
University of Amsterdam, Academic Medical Center, Department of Clinical Chemistry, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 43:438-44. 2002....
- P504S: a new molecular marker for the detection of prostate carcinomaZ Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 25:1397-404. 2001..Our findings indicate that P504S is a highly sensitive and specific positive marker for prostate carcinoma...
- Clinical consequences of defects in peroxisomal beta-oxidationP T Clayton
Biochemistry, Endocrinology and Metabolism Unit, Institute of Child Health, University College London, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, U K
Biochem Soc Trans 29:298-305. 2001....
- A new strategy to decrease N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor coactivation: inhibition of D-serine synthesis by converting serine racemase into an eliminaseR Panizzutti
Departamento de Bioquimica Medica, Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas, and Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases, Departamento de Anatomia, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, RJ 21491 590, Brazil
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:5294-9. 2001..Inhibition of serine racemase provides a new strategy to selectively decrease NMDA receptor coactivation and may be useful in conditions in which overstimulation of NMDA receptors plays a pathological role...
- Subcellular localization and physiological role of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemaseS Ferdinandusse
Departments of Clinical Chemistry, Emma Children s Hospital, Academic Medical Center, University of Amsterdam, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Lipid Res 41:1890-6. 2000....
- Feedback inactivation of D-serine synthesis by NMDA receptor-elicited translocation of serine racemase to the membraneLivia Balan
Department of Biochemistry, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 31096, Israel
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 106:7589-94. 2009..We propose that the inhibition of D-serine synthesis caused by translocation of SR to the membrane provides a fail-safe mechanism to prevent NMDAR overactivation in vicinal cells or synapses...
- Serine racemase: a glial enzyme synthesizing D-serine to regulate glutamate-N-methyl-D-aspartate neurotransmissionH Wolosker
Departments of Neuroscience, The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:13409-14. 1999..Occurrence of serine racemase in the brain demonstrates the conservation of D-amino acid metabolism in mammals with implications for the regulation of N-methyl-D-aspartate neurotransmission through glia-neuronal interactions...
- Purification of serine racemase: biosynthesis of the neuromodulator D-serineH Wolosker
The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Departments of Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, and Psychiatry, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:721-5. 1999..Properties such as pH optimum, Km values, and the requirement for pyridoxal phosphate resemble those of bacterial racemases, suggesting that the biosynthetic pathway for D-amino acids is conserved from bacteria to mammalian brain...
- P504S immunohistochemical detection in 405 prostatic specimens including 376 18-gauge needle biopsiesR Beach
Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Emory University Hospital, 1364 Clifton Road NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 26:1588-96. 2002..Therefore, we think that P504S is best used only in conjunction with strict light microscopic correlation and preferably with high molecular weight cytokeratin immunostaining...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase as an androgen-independent growth modifier in prostate cancerShan Zha
Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, 600 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Cancer Res 63:7365-76. 2003..Taken together, these data suggest that AMACR is essential for optimal growth of PCa cells in vitro and that this enzyme has the potential to be a complementary target with androgen ablation in PCa treatment...
- Serine racemase is predominantly localized in neurons in mouse brainKazushi Miya
Department of Molecular Neuroscience, Graduate School of Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Toyama, Toyama, Japan
J Comp Neurol 510:641-54. 2008....
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a variably sensitive immunohistochemical marker for the diagnosis of small prostate cancer foci on needle biopsyCristina Magi-Galluzzi
Department of Pathology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:1128-33. 2003..It is important to optimize the staining technique for each laboratory and recognize that some small cancers on needle biopsy may be AMACR negative...
- Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (P504S) expression in evolving carcinomas within benign prostatic hyperplasia and in cancers of the transition zoneIrwin Leav
Department of Pathology, Division of Urology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA, USA
Hum Pathol 34:228-33. 2003....
- Decreased serum levels of D-serine in patients with schizophrenia: evidence in support of the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor hypofunction hypothesis of schizophreniaKenji Hashimoto
Department of Psychiatry, Graduate School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Arch Gen Psychiatry 60:572-6. 2003..The aim of this study was to examine whether serum levels of D- and L-serine in patients with schizophrenia are different from those of healthy controls...
- d-Amino acid oxidase and serine racemase in human brain: normal distribution and altered expression in schizophreniaLouise Verrall
Department of Psychiatry, Warneford Hospital, Warneford Lane, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
Eur J Neurosci 26:1657-69. 2007..However, they raise further questions as to the roles of D-amino acid oxidase and serine racemase in both physiological and pathophysiological processes in the brain...
- Variants in the alpha-Methylacyl-CoA racemase gene and the association with advanced distal colorectal adenomaSarah E Daugherty
Divison of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Department of Health and Human Services, National Cancer Institute, 6120 Executive Boulevard, EPS Rm 8113, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:1536-42. 2007..AMACR gene variants have been associated with hereditary prostate cancer, but no studies have evaluated their etiologic role in colorectal carcinogenesis...
- Mouse brain serine racemase catalyzes specific elimination of L-serine to pyruvateKvido Strisovsky
Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic, Flemingovo n 2, Praha 6, 166 10, Czech Republic
FEBS Lett 535:44-8. 2003..D-Serine is eliminated much less efficiently. Both L-serine racemization and elimination activities of serine racemase are of comparable magnitude, display alkaline pH optimum and are negligible below pH 6.5...
- Branched fatty acids in dairy and beef products markedly enhance alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase expression in prostate cancer cells in vitroJames A Mobley
Department of Surgery, Division of Urology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 12:775-83. 2003..Our findings therefore provide a link between the consumption of dietary fatty acids and the enhanced expression of AMACR, an enzyme that may play an important role in genesis and progression of CaP...
- Sensitivity of P504S/alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) immunohistochemistry for the detection of prostate carcinoma on stored needle biopsiesVijay K Vanguri
Department of Pathology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
Appl Immunohistochem Mol Morphol 14:365-8. 2006....
- Human prostate cancer precursors and pathobiologyAngelo M De Marzo
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21231 1000, USA
Urology 62:55-62. 2003..Additional results show that AMACR may be an important new marker of prostate cancer, and its use in combination with p63 staining may provide the basis for an improved method for identification of prostate cancer...
- Comparison of annexin II, p63 and alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase immunoreactivity in prostatic tissue: a tissue microarray studyJocelyn Stewart
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Pathol 60:773-80. 2007..Current ancillary markers for diagnosis in prostate biopsies include p63 and alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR). Annexin II (ANXII), a calcium and phospholipid binding protein, is lost in prostate cancer...
- Decreased alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase expression in localized prostate cancer is associated with an increased rate of biochemical recurrence and cancer-specific deathMark A Rubin
Department of Pathology Amory 3 195, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, 75 Francis Street, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1424-32. 2005..This is the first study to show that AMACR expression is significantly associated with prostate cancer progression and suggests that not all surrogate end points may be optimal to define biomarkers of aggressive prostate cancer...
- Florid basal cell hyperplasia of the prostate: a histological, ultrastructural, and immunohistochemical analysisXiming J Yang
Department of Pathology and Surgery, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hum Pathol 34:462-70. 2003....
- [Usefulness of bcl-2 expression as a new basal cell marker in prostatic pathology]D Ramos Soler
Departamento de Patologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universitat de Valencia
Actas Urol Esp 30:345-52. 2006..In our study, we analyzed comparatively the expression of 34betaE12, p63, bcl-2 and alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase in order to evaluate the usefulness of bcl-2 as a new marker of the basal cells in prostatic pathology...
- Alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase immunoreactivity in partial atrophy of the prostateBrian P Adley
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 126:849-55. 2006..Compounding this problem, focal lack of basal cells may be seen. However, the AMACR staining pattern of partial atrophy is usually comparable to that of adjacent benign glands and substantially different from adenocarcinoma...
- [p504s-p63 mixed markers in the diagnosis of prostatic carcinoma]Jin-ku Zhang
Department of Pathology, Hebei Province Baoding City First Central Hospital, Baoding 071000, China
Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 85:1647-8. 2005
- Stratified epithelium in prostatic adenocarcinoma: a mimic of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasiaOmar Hameed
Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University Medical Center, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Mod Pathol 19:899-906. 2006..These 'PIN-like' carcinomas can present in pure form. Recognition of this pattern of prostatic adenocarcinoma is necessary to correctly diagnose such cases as invasive carcinoma...
- Diagnostic utility of a p63/alpha-methyl coenzyme A racemase (p504s) cocktail in ambiguous lesions of the prostate upon needle biopsyVincent Molinie
Department of Pathology, Hopital Saint Joseph, Paris, France
BJU Int 97:1109-15. 2006..To investigate the potential utility of a new combined immunostaining technique for diagnosing prostate cancer from histological analysis of needle biopsy specimens...
- The significance of the P504S expression pattern of high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia (HGPIN) with and without adenocarcinoma of the prostate in biopsy and radical prostatectomy specimensBurkhard Helpap
Department of Pathology, Hegau Bodensee Hochrhein General Hospital Singen, Singen, Germany
Virchows Arch 448:480-4. 2006..These results suggest that moderate to strong P504S expression in HGPIN of biopsy specimens is indicative of an associated adenocarcinoma and may be helpful in the choice of therapy...
- The prostate-specific G-protein coupled receptors PSGR and PSGR2 are prostate cancer biomarkers that are complementary to alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemaseJianghua Wang
Department of Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine and Michael E DeBakey Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Houston, Texas
Prostate 66:847-57. 2006..To examine their potential usefulness as cancer biomarkers, we have evaluated their expression relative to AMACR in prostate cancer tissues...
- Detection of prostate cancer by alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase (P504S) in needle biopsy specimens previously reported as negative for malignancyB M Carswell
Department of Surgery, Urology Division, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA 01655, USA
Histopathology 48:668-73. 2006....
- Routine immunohistochemical staining for high-molecular weight cytokeratin 34-beta and alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase (P504S) in postirradiation prostate biopsiesMildred B Martens
Department of Pathology, University of Western Ontario and London Health Sciences Centre, London, ON, Canada
Mod Pathol 19:287-90. 2006..Further evaluation is required to assess the significance of a diagnosis of atypical small acinar proliferation in postirradiation prostate biopsies...
- Comparison of monoclonal antibody (P504S) and polyclonal antibody to alpha methylacyl-CoA racemase (AMACR) in the work-up of prostate cancerL P Kunju
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, 48109, USA
Histopathology 47:587-96. 2005..However, when utilized in proper context, AMACR may offer significant advantage in converting an 'atypical' diagnosis to PCa where morphology and basal markers are less than optimal in resolving the diagnosis...
- [Achievements in morphological diagnosis of prostatic cancer: alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme-A-racemase--a new marker of malignant cell transformation]K M Pozharisskii
Arkh Patol 67:15-9. 2005..This combination allows one to identify neoplastic nature of some difficult lesions...
- Nephrogenic adenoma: immunohistochemical evaluation for its etiology and differentiation from prostatic adenocarcinomaGuang-Qian Xiao
Department of Pathology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029-6574, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:805-10. 2006..Our results also demonstrated that the combination of P504S and prostate-specific antigen with epithelial membrane antigen is a valuable tool in distinguishing prostatic carcinoma from nephrogenic adenoma...
- Distorted rectal tissue on prostate needle biopsy: a mimicker of prostate cancerJeffrey T Schowinsky
Department of Pathology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21231, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 30:866-70. 2006..Recognition of these features mimicking prostate cancer and awareness of other findings that are diagnostic of rectal tissue on biopsy can prevent a misdiagnosis of atypical prostate glands or prostate cancer...
- Using an AMACR (P504S)/34betaE12/p63 cocktail for the detection of small focal prostate carcinoma in needle biopsy specimensZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:231-6. 2005....
- Kinetic fluorescence reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction for alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase distinguishes prostate cancer from benign lesionsMartin Schostak
Department of Urology, Charite Campus Benjamin Franklin, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
Cancer Detect Prev 30:449-54. 2006....
- Immunohistochemical stains for p63 and alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase, versus a cocktail comprising both, in the diagnosis of prostatic carcinoma: a comparison of the immunohistochemical staining of 430 foci in radical prostatectomy and needle biopsy tissuOmar Hameed
Lauren V. Ackerman Laboratory of Surgical Pathology, Department of Pathology and Immunology, Washington University Medical Center, St. Louis, MO 63110, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 29:579-87. 2005..This cocktail would be of diagnostic utility when only limited tissue is available for immunohistochemical evaluation of small, diagnostically difficult foci in prostate needle biopsy tissue...
- Utility of immunohistochemistry for alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase in distinguishing atrophic prostate cancer from benign atrophyMaryam A Farinola
Department of Urology, The Johns Hopkinds Medical Institutions, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hum Pathol 35:1272-8. 2004..Using a panel of immunostains including AMACR, 34betaE12 and p63 (positive AMACR immunostaining along with negative basal cell markers) is recommended in the differentiation of atrophic prostate cancer and benign atrophy...
- alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase is immunoreactive in extramammary Paget diseaseDaniel C Mayes
The Department of Pathology, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA 22908, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 127:567-71. 2007..We found immunoreactivity for AMACR in 15 (71%) of 21 EMPD cases overall, in 5 (56%) of 9 cases in women, and in 10 (83%) of 12 cases in men. AMACR immunoreactivity is a common finding in EMPD in men and women...
- Application of alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase immunohistochemistry in the diagnosis of prostate cancer: a reviewBrian P Adley
Department of Pathology, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 28:1-13. 2006..Finally, we emphasize diagnostic pitfalls in the application of AMACR to small, atypical foci of glands seen on prostate needle core biopsy and project future diagnostic as well as clinical applications for the protein...
- Prostate cancer detection on urinalysis for alpha methylacyl coenzyme a racemase proteinCraig G Rogers
James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Urol 172:1501-3. 2004..We assessed the feasibility of a novel urinary test for prostate cancer based on the presence of alpha methylacyl coenzyme A racemase (AMACR) protein in voided urine specimens obtained after prostate biopsy...
- Poorly differentiated adenocarcinomas of prostate versus high-grade urothelial carcinoma of the bladder: a diagnostic dilemma with immunohistochemical evaluation of 2 casesMiguel Martinez-Rodriguez
University Clinic Hospital of Valencia, Medical School, Department of Pathology, Valencia, Spain
Int J Surg Pathol 15:213-8. 2007..The differentiating histological and immunohistochemical findings are discussed...
- Immunohistochemical detection of carcinoma in radical prostatectomy specimens following hormone therapyTomomi Kusumi
Department of Pathology, Hirosaki University School of Medicine, Hirosaki, Japan
Pathol Int 58:687-94. 2008..P504S and P501S had limited ability to identify degenerated carcinoma. PSMA was the most useful marker to identify carcinoma after hormone therapy...
- Discovery and clinical application of a novel prostate cancer marker: alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase (P504S)Zhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester 01655, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 122:275-89. 2004....
- Alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase (P504S): overview and potential uses in diagnostic pathology as applied to prostate needle biopsiesA J Evans
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, University of Toronto, University Health Network, Ontario, Canada
J Clin Pathol 56:892-7. 2003....
- Prognostic significance of alpha-methylacyl-coA racemase among men with high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia in prostate biopsiesJocelyn Stewart
Department of Pathology, University Health Network, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Urol 179:1751-5; discussion 1755. 2008..This study evaluates the prognostic significance of alpha-methylacyl-coA racemase positive high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia glands in prostate biopsies...
- [Alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase: a useful marker for diagnosis of prostatic carcinoma.]Zhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, MA 01655, USA
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 33:401-3. 2004
- [Assessment of P504S immunohistochemistry in diagnosis and differential diagnosis of prostatic adenocarcinoma.]Guang-yong Chen
Department of Pathology, Beijing Friendship Hospital, Capital University of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100050, China
Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi 33:419-23. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: P504S is a useful marker for microscopic diagnosis of prostatic adenocarcinoma, and immunohistochemistry study using a combination of P504S and 34betaE12/p63 may be of greater benefit in aiding the differential diagnoses...
- Diagnostic utility of alpha-methylacyl CoA racemase (P504S) on prostate needle biopsyZhong Jiang
Department of Pathology, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, Massachusetts 01655, USA
Adv Anat Pathol 11:316-21. 2004..We also discuss the potential pitfalls and caveats in the interpretation of immunostaining results...
- Immunohistochemical markers in the diagnosis of prostate cancerRanleigh L Fleshman
Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
J Urol 173:1759. 2005
- [Research at the Ulm University in prostate cancer]L Rinnab
, Prittwitzstrasse 43, 89075 Ulm
Urologe A 46:1071-7. 2007
- Expression and diagnostic utility of alpha-methylacyl-CoA-racemase (P504S) in foamy gland and pseudohyperplastic prostate cancerMing Zhou
Department of Pathology, John Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
Am J Surg Pathol 27:772-8. 2003..The major caveat in the interpretation of positive staining is that high-grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia cannot be in the differential diagnosis...
- Altered expression of alpha-methylacyl-coenzyme A racemase in prostatic adenocarcinoma following hormone therapyKimiko Suzue
Department of Pathology, University of Chicago Hospital, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Clin Pathol 123:553-61. 2005..Furthermore, AMACR might have a role in the recurrence of prostatic adenocarcinoma after medical therapy...
- Multiplex biomarker approach for determining risk of prostate-specific antigen-defined recurrence of prostate cancerDaniel R Rhodes
Department of Pathology, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
J Natl Cancer Inst 95:661-8. 2003..19, 95% CI = 1.50 to 6.77; P =.003). CONCLUSION: EZH2:ECAD status was statistically significantly associated with prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy and may be useful in defining a cohort of high-risk patients...
- Cytokeratin (AE1/AE3) in addition to alpha-methylacyl coenzyme A racemase (P504S), 34-beta-E12, and p63 stains in evaluation of surgical specimens after hormonal therapy for prostatic adenocarcinomaMaria Rosaria Raspollini
Hum Pathol 39:304-5; author reply 305-6. 2008
Research Grants101 found, 100 shown here
- Molecular Dissection of Benign Prostatic HyperplasiaMark Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2004..b) Validation of tissue markers using MTOPS samples. Aim 4: Validation of candidate serum biomarkers of symptomatic BPH. a) Serum Microarray Validation using Michigan samples. b) Validation of serum markers using MTOPS samples. ..
- MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY OF STEM CELLS IN CANCERAngelo Demarzo; Fiscal Year: 2002..These studies should produce new insights into altered stem cell maturation in BPH, PIN and carcinoma, and may provide new molecular targets for diagnosis, prognosis and treatment of prostate cancer. ..
- INFLAMMATION AND ATROPHY IN PROSTATE CARCINOGENESISAngelo Demarzo; Fiscal Year: 2003..Finally, new emphasis would be focused on finding the cause of chronic inflammation in the prostate with an aim towards its eradication. ..
- Towards Understanding Prostate Cancer HeterogeneityMark Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2007..Finally, we will determine if FISH assays (or other in situ tests) can be employed as a prognostic biomarker. ..
- "Molecular Signatures of Lethal and Indolent Prostate Cancer"Mark Rubin; Fiscal Year: 2007..At the conclusion of this proposal, we expect to have refined and fully validated molecular predictors of PCA death as well as indolent PCA that is appropriate for further clinical development. ..
- Siderophore Synthetases in Three Bacterial PathogensChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2006..PS assemblies. Understanding of mechanism, e.g. of the heterocyclizing Cy domains may allow inhibitor design to block siderophore production by these multimodular enzymes. ..
- SIGNALING MECHANISM IN DCC-INDUCED APOPTOSISYong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Enzymatic Assembly of Vancomycin Group AntibioticsChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2004..These aromatic amino acids are key sites for the crosslinking that produces the rigid cup-shaped architecture of the crosslinked core that enables recognition of the peptidoglycan termini and antibiotic action. ..
- GLUTATHIONE TRANSFERASE--DEFINING AND ALTERING CATALYSISRichard Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Modular Enzymatic Assembly Lines for AntibioticsChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- GLUTATHIONE TRANSFERASES-DEFINING STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONRichard N Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2011..The bacterium typically colonizes the human intestine shortly after birth where it remains the predominant facultative microorganism. Understanding the biochemistry of E. coli is fundamental to understanding its pathogenesis. ..
- Effects of Dietary Omega-3 Fatty Acids on Akt Signaling in Prostate CancerYong Q Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..If our hypothesis is correct, the successful completion of the proposed work will demonstrate, for the first time, the role of dietary fatty acids in regulating PIP formation and Akt function. ..
- Modular Enzymatic Assembly Lines for AntibioticsChristopher T Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2010..These include ester backbone linkages in place of amides, the recruitment of transglutaminase homologs as condensation domains that act in trans, formation of C-terminal pyrrolidinedione rings, and reductive chain termination steps. ..
- Fish Oil Supplement Prevention of Prostate CancerYong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2007..For the first time, molecular changes (mRNA and lipid) associated with fish oil diet in the prostate will be comprehensively and systematically analyzed. ..
- Effects of self-administered MDMA on brain and behavior in rhesus monkeysWilliam Fantegrossi; Fiscal Year: 2007..Thus, these studies are likely to be more relevant to the potential human condition of MDMA-induced lasting neurochemical alterations and behavioral changes ..
- The Vancomycin Biosynthetic Assembly lineChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2007..The knowledge base gained in these three aims will provide insight into molecular logic to enable subsequent combinatorial biosynthetic antibiotic variants. ..
- ADHD, Stimulants, and D4 Knockout MicePAUL GLASER; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Modular Enzymatic Assembly Lines for AntibioticsChristopher T Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2011..These include ester backbone linkages in place of amides, the recruitment of transglutaminase homologs as condensation domains that act in trans, formation of C-terminal pyrrolidinedione rings, and reductive chain termination steps. ..
- ENZYMATIC REACTION MECHANISMSChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 1999....
- MECHANISMS OF ENZYME CATALYSISDebra Dunaway Mariano; Fiscal Year: 2001..9. Locate the CoA binding site by site-directed mutagenesis of conserved residues. 10. Complete the determination of the kinetic mechanism of ligase catalysis. ..
- Acinetobactin and C-Glucosylated Enterobactin SiderophoresChristopher T Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2010..Characterization of the salrnochelin and acinetobactin biosynthesizing enzymes will be the foundation for subsequent evaluation of enzyme inhibitors that might block siderophore production. ..
- Statistical Methods for the Analysis of Functional Genomic DataDebashis Ghosh; Fiscal Year: 2007..5. Dissemination of these results in user-friendly statistical software. ..
- SYSTEMATIC ASSESS OF GENE EXPRESSION IN MOUSE PROSTATEYong Chen; Fiscal Year: 2002..The data should be a rich, valuable resource for devising future genetic targeting, animal modeling and other experiments related to developmental biology in general and prostate cancer in particular. ..
- THE EFFECT OF LYCOPENE ON IGF-1 ACTIVITY AND SECRETION IN PRIMARY CULTURES OF PROLarisa Nonn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Once we have determined lycopene's effect on the IGF-1-induced actions in normal prostatic cells, this effect will be compared to those on cells derived from adenocarcinoma. ..
- Ginkgo biloba for ECT-induced Memory DeficitsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2003..will utilize larger groups and additional cognitive tests will be incorporated to provide more definitive conclusions regarding efficacy, optimal dose and duration, persistence of effects, and safety and tolerability ..
- PEPTIDOGLYCAN BIOSYNTHESIS AND VANCOMYCIN RESISTANCEChristopher Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2000..Knowledge of the Van resistance proteins may permit design of drugs, such as phos- phinate dipeptidomimetics, to revert vancomycin resistant bacteria to sensitivity. ..
- Regulation of Innate Immunity by Virulence FactorsAlejandro Aballay; Fiscal Year: 2006..elegans. 3) Elucidate the mechanism by which the genes identified in Aims 1 and 2 contribute to C. elegans innate immunity pathways conserved in mammals. ..
- P-Glycoprotein and Disposition of PsychostimulantsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Cell Sorting and Molecular Analysis for Minimal Disease DetectionBarbara Zehentner; Fiscal Year: 2006....
- MECHANISMS OF ENZYME CATALYSISDebra Dunaway Mariano; Fiscal Year: 2005..coli Phenylacetate Catabolic Pathway, the BH1 997 unknown protein of the Bacillus halodurans Upper Gentisate Pathway and the Pseudomonas aeruginosa PA551 9 homologue to the Human Long Chain Acyl-CoA Thioesterase ..
- Screening Herbs for Drug InteractionsJOHN MARKOWITZ; Fiscal Year: 2002..Further, the proposed studies will complement existing and future NCCAM studies of agents such as St. John's wort and Gingko biloba. ..
- ENZYMOLOGY OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCERichard Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2001..The project is a response to program announcement PA-97-026, Aspergillosis, Ehrlichioses and Drug Resistance. ..
- ENZYMOLOGY OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCERichard Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2007..The intent of this investigation is to establish the mechanistic and structural bases for the design of drugs to counter both plasmid borne and genomically encoded resistance to fosfomycin. ..
- GLUTATHIONE TRANSFERASES-DEFINING STRUCTURE & FUNCTIONRichard Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Transport of Folates and Their Precursors in PlantsAndrew Hanson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Studies of the cognate plant carriers could thus help develop new chemotherapies for leishmaniasis. I ..
- ENZYMOLOGY OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCERichard Armstrong; Fiscal Year: 2006..The intent of this investigation is to establish the mechanistic and structural bases for the design of drugs to counter both plasmid borne and genomically encoded resistance to fosfomycin. ..